The Stoke Resurrection?

Let’s start here – I hate Sparky and I hate Stoke. The two together are a match made in Hades but ….. and you may be surprised to read this I admire what they are trying to do this season. Hughes has taken the Orc mentality created by Pulis and attempted to teach these mutants to play football. As we saw at THOF to a certain extent he has succeeded.

Goals have been few and far between and as Stoke languish on 27 points and in 15 place the experiment could be said to be a work in progress but what about this?  …. Stoke are bottom of the Fair Play League with 58 yellows and 3 Reds and have conceded the most fouls in the PL. Their top scorer is the beanpole Crouch with just 6 (Ramsey has more and has missed most of the season). Most assists? Probably Begovic

Play football? Don’t be fooled Raddy, Stoke remain Orcs led by a man who is Beezlebub in a suit. Nasty players, nasty fans and nasty manager.

images

Orcs

So, how will we do against these barbarians? Stoke haven’t lost at the Britannia since September which is cause for concern. They have recently drawn with Southampton and ….. Oh, I can’t be bothered with this ….. Stoke are always difficult opposition for us because they, their fans and their manager hate us – just as we detest them.

The reaction of the fans and now their chairman to the Ramsey injury shows just how awful they are. Coates ludicrous attempt to defuse the situation was crass and insulting. Sadly, Aaron is unable to punish them today as he surely would.

Stoke: Walters, Crouch, Adams, Odemwinge etc dull, dull, dull dull. Only player with any grace is Begovic who has a habit of wasting time until we go ahead. Shawcross’s partner in crime, Robert Huth, that fine upstanding behemoth who flattened Gnabry within seconds of his first PL appearance, is out with some sort of hardware malfunction. No doubt Hughes has another mutant to replace him.

Arsenal: Ozil returns but in place of whom? Can we afford to drop Rosicky given his excellent form? Dare we go into the game with only one striker (Giroud) and drop Podolski?

In my opinion, this is a game for Ozil to miss. It’s a game for players who can take a battering and give something back. Not sure Mesut is that type of player. I would be tempted to play the same team which destroyed Sunderland, (apart from the inclusion of Vermaelen).

My Team:

Sczesny

Sagna   BFG    TV   Monreal

Flamini    JW    Arteta   Rosicky

Cazorla      Giroud   Podolski

Not in that formation obviously, but doing their usual mix and match stuff. Pace will be important and I expect to see our speedsters on during the second half. Maybe give Sanogo a run out.

Stoke Upon Trent. Originally named Stoc, the name comes from Old English and means “place  with a church”, apparently so many villages and meadows were called Stoc that  the words Upon Trent were added to distinguish it from the primordial swampland in the Midlands – you know the place where Shawcross emerged from. The village developed because it was on the Roman road between Derby and Chesterton .

By the 13th century coal mining was the main industry but in the 17thC pottery became the main source of income. Wedgwood, Spode, Minton and Royal Doulton moved into the area as Stoke became the most famous pottery and china producer in the world. In later times Michelin tyres were centred in Stoke employing over 9,000 Orcs.

Can we win?  This is going to be a difficult game. No Hughes team leaves the field without bruising the opposition and today will be no exception. Stoke’s home record is good and despite their lowly league position they have taken points off the best and beat Man Utd at the Potteries just a few weeks ago. A return to the defensive parsimony, a fast start and some crisp passing interplay will do the job.

March is our toughest test, a win today would set the team up nicely for the more difficult games ahead, but I take nothing for granted – sometimes Orcs win battles but never the war.

Written by BigRaddy

228 Responses to The Stoke Resurrection?

1. Apologies from Rasp …… he’s out being a Daddy’s removal service and so hasn’t had a chance to put the pitch layout in the post.

I think you flatter Stoke,Raddy. The team and the place is a shite hole.
    I believe Monreal is out and rumour has it Vermaelen might play at LB and that giant bratwust Huth is back.
    Will be a tough game but at leat Stoke under Hughes are marginally more attractive than under Pullis, which will suit us.
    As I said earlier I presume Arteta will take the penalty. 2-1 to the good boys.
    My only fear is that we don’t pick up any injuries.

3. Danny says:

When men were men….

12 Man Team. Genius :-)

Are you the gentleman who goes under the name of Danny Clapton by any chance.

Love that video.I went to both games and the first game at Hillsborough was to put it mildly nail biting. Who would have thought Peter Storey would score twice,one a penalty against Gordon Banks.

Just caught up end of morning session.

Chas
    Superb Pete and Dud :-)

Kelsey,
    “No banner. No review” pimples

Now to read.

Raddy

Minor point. Jan 12: Orcs 2-5 Pool.
    Which is why I think we need speed in the team as their bloody great Oafish CB’s clearly can’t cope.

Really great to have you back in the saddle. Such a joy to read.

No Ox. Not good.

8. Sav from Australia says:

Nice pre-match, Raddy. I think you are correct – we will take a battering today. I just hope the referee does his job. If he does his job and we lose, as unlikely as it might be that we lose in such a case, I will have no complaints. Let’s just play football, not bloody MMA (cage fighting).

9. arnie says:

Great stuff, Raddy. Wecome back. Difficult game, yes. “primordial pissland in the Midlands … where Shitecross emerged from”. ha ha ha. :D :D :D Did you not say that. ah well. :D :D

off now, back to a Berlin pub to watch the war … :D

I guess there would be a significant question mark over the sense of starting Ozil today, that despite the stat that he has created more chances than any other player in the European top flight this season.

Why would I leave him out? Because this truly is the kind of PL fixture he is not accustomed to.

I would let him watch a half from the bench and maybe being him on when the Orcs haven’t got the energy to get close and kick whatever is in their way.

A lot of players need to count to ten today and not get drawn into tit for tat fouling.

11. City Realist says:

You bunch of southern shandy drinkers are going to get exactly what your arrogance deserves…nothing, and just for the record we’re proud of Stoke-on-Trent, it has so much more character than your artificial, over priced tourist trap. As for Ramsey, get real footballs a man’s game, injury’s happen, get over it and move on!

12. Danny says:

@kelsey
    No I’m not Danny Clapton but that’s a cool name!
    I wasn’t at those matches but I remember very clearly listening to them both on the radio especially that penalty.

13. evonne says:

great prematch Raddy! Glad to see you are back with vengeance, and just to think I proposed that we make you redundant :wink:

I agree – Ozil is too precious to face the mutants, good time to rest him. Why isn’t Koscielny on your team sheet, is he injured? He is a tough cookie that could be match for Shawcross. Definitely Podolski rather than Giroud

14. evonne says:

City Realist – get real dude! Stoke a nicer place than London? Pleeeeeaze . It is the Stoke fans that would not let us forget about Shawcross’ horror – they are still laughing about it into our faces. So before you start calling people arrogant etc, look at yourself.

15. Danny says:

Watching that again, today Banks would’ve got a free kick for Graham’s challenge on him. Interesting that Banks didn’t wear gloves.

@Danny

55000 fans who paid in total; 80K.How times have changed.

Welcome back, Raddish, and a treat of a Post as well.

[Look, just between us, the only problem I have is that Kelsey had an angle which you will need to match - he would have written the pre-match tomorrow and told us today what the result is!]

It can get a bit tricky tho’ – he is writing today’s match report yesterday and no one will understand whether we won or lost, so that is where the pre-match came in handy! :-)

I know you are a great strategist, and I agree with Micky Mouse that the 12 man format is genius – and Kelsey never gave us that!! :-)

City Realist…..you are right football is a mans game. Most injuries are results of cowards tackles by the offenders, especially over the top of the ball challenges.

You’ve booed Ramsey for years….for what precisely? Having the audacity to have his leg snapped in two on your pitch by your player? Think it may be you who needs to get over it.

I’ve sat close to the Orcs in the Emirates, what delight they took in mimicking a broken leg when Theo was stretchered off as a result of another assault.

One thing you should remember in this “mans game” fouling is illegal, that’s why free kicks are given. Injured in a fair tackle no one is going to complain injured by a skillless imbecile, funnily enough people complain.

I would play Ozil if he is fit he is no more likely to be injured than any other player. It’s like a phobia, the sooner you confront it the quicker you regain confidence, as you saw in the match :)

Me too, Kelsey, a world class player is … well, … world class and can play anywhere, anytime and show leaden footed plonkers how the game should be played! :-)

City Realist

It goes back a lot further than the Ramsey incident
    Stoke City fans are bitter towards Arsenal as for two seasons running (see clip above) we denied you from reaching your first Cup Final in somewhat contraversial circumstances in some people’s eyes.

Oooorc Reaaaurst

Durm braamor dua sorr blorrr tum? Caarwor ta drorrr plaasur bur!

For those interested, you can use Google Translate. English:Swamp. Swamp:English.

Thank-you Raddy and what a fine return post. So much better than what that amateur muppet served up this time last week…

I had a LOL at Huth’s hardware malfunction and his mutant replacement.

I always expected that a Stoke pre-match report would draw a couple of furious comments from their fans but am surprised that it is currently only 1. I said my bit yesterday about my feelings on the whole Stoke and Shawcross / Ramsey thuing so I shan’t repeat.

What I do find amusing is this constant reference to Arsenal about needing to move on, but the main people that have made public comments about it have been Stoke related. Before any Arsenal person has mentioned it both Coates and Higginbothom have both brought up the whole subject, talked about it (again) only to arrive at the conclusion that we (Arsenal) need to move on. I presume they mean don’t bring it up and discuss it further so err….. I’m getting slightly confused now.

Like you Raddy I would favour pace today as the way to undo them, and I also would consider Ozil as an option from the bench for this game. I feel he is ideal for all the 3 forthcoming fixtures with Everton, Bayern and the Swampies so a bit more rest wouldn’t hurt the situation. Tata for now.

Micky @1.01, have you started early old chap?

Couldn’t find the Swamp to English google translation Micky. Just let me know what your drinking and I will go and get a few of the same down my neck, and then we can converse with each other to our hearts content all afternoon.

26. evonne says:

GB – Micky drinks anything and smokes the rest :)

Szczesny

Sagna BFG Koz Gibbs

Jack Arteta
    TR7 Santi Pod

Giroud

Arsène Wenger has made just one change to his side for the Premier League game against Stoke City.

Kieran Gibbs starts instead of Nacho Monreal at left-back, Mesut Ozil returns to the squad but only makes the bench.

Lukas Podolski keeps his place up front with Olivier Giroud.

Team in full: Szczesny, Sagna, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Gibbs, Arteta, Rosicky, Wilshere, Cazorla, Podolski, Giroud,

Subs: Fabianski, Vermaelen, Flamini, Ozil, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Sanogo, Gnabry

Fantastic pre-match BR – funny, informative and entertaining all at once, just like Kelsey’s hair.

Interesting that Flam doesn’t start.

Not sure about this starting eleven, will have to change my review after washing my hair.

Maybe Flamini is too prone to see red?

Damn. I thought AW would follow me and line up with 12.

Sorry late. Budge up.

Awful tackle on Giroud by two Orcs and the ref gives a foul to them!

Should have been a red and a yellow for the Orcs. Another homer ref. bottles it.

Good, only one minute of extra.
    Can’t wait for the second half and some speed.

I think the high ball to Ollie is a very bad tactic.

That was a dreadful half from both teams. At least Arsenal are trying to play whereas Stoke are getting away with rotational fouling and continual dangerous play.

Micky. So who gets subbed?

Not the best match i have watched this season but at least we are giving as much as we are getting.no one outstanding for us. I would bring on Ozil and Flamini and take off ,not sure ,maybe Wilshere and either Rosicky or Cazorla.

Micky wants some speed now :)

BTW where is everybody? Site very quiet today.

I know Stoke is a crap game but it would improve the experience if we went through this together.

42. Well that was very scrappy wasn’t it. Definitely need some speed ;)

Was that as bad as I thought it was or am I having a nightmare in a different dimension?

You could not sell that as entertainment, and I suppose the Orcs v Arsenal is never likely to be a glorious spectacle, but we were pretty poor.

We have no pace, the passing is awry, and we do not look like we are trying to win the EPL – apart from that – it’s fine1

44. I don’t think Ozil needs to be subjected to this kind of game …… maybe the last 20 minutes when he can work a bit of magic and the orcs are tired.

What a horrible bunch they and their supporters are.

45. Sav from Australia says:

Bloody dirty Orcs. Where’s Gandalf? Where’s Harry Potter? How do you get rid of Orcs? Expelliarmus!!??!!

I know! The Ox.

Behave Kelsey :-)

Raddy,
    Well Ox on obviously and Mesut and Gnabry :-)
    Off Pod, Ollie and Rosicky.

Mesut Ox Gnabry
    Jack Art Santi

Completely nuts, but I’d want ball to feet and speed up front.

47. evonne says:

here, nothing to say.
    Fair play to the away fans – after Orcs were shouting abuse at Ollie, our crew responded with the Beatles, classy

Pool put 5 past them with no big ‘un, but speed across the front.

49. Last Saturday our passing was serene ……. what’s happened?

I don’t want to be too judgemental cos I reckon it’s pretty horrid out there ………….. at least its not raining :lol:

We need early subs none of this last 20 minutes.Whisper it but we could be top of the league with a bit more urgency and a few changes

peaches
    that’s the joy of following Arsenal

Maybe ollie had another of those late nights :)

53. Sav from Australia says:

I heard those Giroud chants after they were booing him, Evonne. Very nice.

Wow, do I hate these guys. Bring on Flamini to break a few ankles!

Keep the ball on the ground against these freak giant orcs

That was a let off. We are just not getting it together.

56. Get off the half way line Poldi!!!!!!!

Micky, as much as I like Ollie and in certain games his presence helps us to overcome the opposition there are other games where the lack of pace makes us look ineffective. Stokes defence is one you want to subject to pace. You and I have both said about playing the Ox like a false 9 there and I feel this is one of those games where that extra pace and movement would help us, but we never try anything different like that. Having said that I hope Ollie makes me eat my words now and wins the game.

BTW I am not watching the game, just picking up on the comments on here.

OK. Despite the early kick off (?) I will open a bottle of red. Think today I will celebrate our Frenchness with a Merlot. Given the opposition it will only be a Pays D’oc

GB. Wise decision!

60. evonne says:

Sav- you could here the chants in Australia??!! blimey

GB
    Clealry I agree.
    Mesut on for Pod
    Still no speed

Come on Arsene

Bloody hell. How many cloggers are in this Stoke squad? Now we get Ireland.

Yesss
    GB, Ox on for TR

Shit
    Pen to Stoke

Bollocks

65th minute Micky?

Come on Arsenal

I don’t like to make judgments if I have not seen the game but were our tactics right from the start? Did we put out the right team for a big and physical but slow side and if it has not been working did we change things early enough?

BTW Pardew has been sent off for headbutting a Hull player.

GB
    80 mins Sanogo on for JW

GB
    I’ll answer that at the end :-)

BTW Crap ref who is clearly a homer (see 3.37)

73. Adrian says:

Wrong tactics since the first minute. Why didn’t the ox start the game with his raw pace against a slow team like stoke? Podolski was invisible throughout the game except for that one shot that went wide.

Bollox not seen or heard a thing….until I got on the car to hear we were one down.

Titles probably over without some incredible results on the second cluster

GB
    Absolutely not.
    I’m sure people will blame the Stoke style, but our team selection and tactics were shocking.

Shocking afternoon.

Poor tactics, poor execution, poor refereeing,

Only positive – another fine performance from TPIG

77. Adrian says:

Poor from the whole team. No drive whatsoever, wrong tactics and almost every player seemed to have picked today to have an off day. The fact that the ox came on for just 15 mins and was our best player sums it all up.

Didn’t deserve even a draw, though dubious penalty decision, Giroud should have been subbed yet The Ox , who came on far too late showed more than anyone else in attack. I have to an extent blame Wenger for picking the wrong side and not making changes earlier.A very poor performance all round.

GiE
    I certainly don’t think the titles over, far from it, but Arsene needs to learn from today.

adrian, snap :)

One ray of sunshine. The troll will be happy

LG will go into overdrive

Kelsey. Don’t agree about OG. I thought he had a better game than most, in particular Rosicky and Podolski. At least he was constantly involved.

84. JanMan says:

Unfortunately today’s game showed how much we are missing a top class striker. Tactics don’t mean shite if you don’t have someone to put the ball in the back of the net!!

85. JanMan says:

BR: I have always defended OG in the past but sorry he was not in the game today.

86. Danny says:

How many attempts on goal did we have today?
    How many shots on targets did we have today?

Just to recap for anyone who missed it, Newcastle manager Alan Pardew was sent-off this afternoon for headbutting Hull midfielder David Meyler.

88. JanMan says:

I don’t think anyone can complain about Stoke or their tactics it is not as though we did not know how they would play. Have to agree that the OX should have started or at least come on much sooner. This game was crying out for pace from Arsenal.

89. JanMan says:

Kelsey. Pardew was always a nasty piece of work!

90. Shard says:

The ref allowed them to get away with a lot (including two stamps on Giroud), the manner of conceding the penalty was unfortunate, but my word, we were terrible. No urgency or pace in movement and passing. We might have found a way to win if we hadn’t conceded, but Stoke were threatening much before the penalty. I am terribly disappointed, and Liverpool will probably also overtake us today.

We’ll need to win pretty much every game from now on if we are to win the title. Seems unlikely, but you never know.

Today was so so frustrating. I have no idea what to make of that performance. It is so unlike the Arsenal of this season.

OG’s shooting and heading was powder puff. Yes he got battered but had a poor game as did most of them. Szsney and a combination of bad misses kept the score down.

Now, the Pardew sending off is something I really do want to see :-)

93. JanMan says:

On a positive note, after this performance we will probably win 2-0 in Bayern and go through in the penalty shoot out :-)

Hate to say it but ever since the Liverpool game I have felt we will not win the EPL. I kept hoping that our more positive bloggers would prove to be right and that my reservations would be unfounded. I felt that Liverpool game was an indication that we still don’t pay enough consideration to who our opposition are and what they have to offer. It is my main if not only gripe that I have with Arsenal and Arsene and is not new but stems back a few years now.

With that Liverpool game I always felt we needed a set-up to negate the balls to their front 3 but we didn’t starve that supply. Against Stoke you felt we should have been exposing their big and physical but slower defenders to pace but we didn’t do it. The most disappointing thing is that I feel that we have the options within the squad to change things and come away from Anfield with a result and to put Stoke to bed. I also feel that our substitutions are often too late, (when it becomes obvious that the current set-up is not working), and are often like for like rather than something that will change the balance of our play and pose the opposition a different problem.

Without even seeing the game I am very disappointed right now as I believe today has in reality signaled that we are unable to win the EPL, not mathematically of course, but the signs are not good. This was a game also with a weeks break either side of it so we should have been seeing this one through.

I am definitely not saying that anyone (bar TPIG) played well but OG was no worse than anyone else.

In order for a striker to score he has to be given a chance – OG had none

Agree JanMan. No blaming Stoke.

On the title, others will drop points and there are plenty of games left.

GB. Unfortunately I agree with you

GoonerB

Of course we’ll win in Munich. Mesut and Ox will both start. Won’t they? :-)

99. Shard says:

As far as the tactics are concerned, I figured the plan was to try and play through Stoke with Cazorla, Rosicky and Wilshere, Giroud as the ‘pivot’, and Podolski providing the goal threat, and then bringing on Ozil and Ox when there was more space available.

That doesn’t account for the failure of the players who started, to show any urgency, and we were lucky not to have conceded. But finally there were spaces opening up. The Ox and Ozil would have had some fun with that, but out of the blue, we conceded a penalty. Following that, there was less space all over again.

I don’t know. I’m just depressed about how meekly we surrendered today. Maybe the next few weeks will be better, but right now, the title seems unlikely.

100. JanMan says:

BR. Concur with what you say but he had a few more chances than the none you are referring too. A top class striker needs only one chance to score (sometimes) Granted the whole team was poor and I am not trying to argue with you.

Micky I just draw any positives from a consideration of Arsene learning from this one. Stoke were a known quantity to a manager who has been in this league and played that type of team for many years, so I don’t see how they could have surprised us.

Luckily I’m off to meet some Mates. Say Hi to Sniffer :-(

All together now
    “Hellooooo Sniffer”

sorry that was meant to read I just don’t draw. Will pop off for a bit as I don’t want to make the blog over negative

JanMan,

You are right to say that the poor game and the result cannot be blamed on Stoke.

The penalty was flakey and frankly ridiculous, so a draw would have been about right.

It is always a mistake to make comments when the blood is running hot in the veins after a poor game, but I am disappointed that we played without passion, without pace, and frankly we were physically overpowered in the tackles.

Some players seemed to be too slow, too small and lacking in energy.

Maybe I am wrong. What I am right about tho’ is that we were not good enough.

106. JanMan says:

RA. Agree with you 100%. On this day we were simply not good enough! Even on a bad day we still created some chances and made nothing of them. The penalty was never a penalty, the hand did not go to the ball but that it not an excuse, we were not good enough and that’s all there is to it. We have to pick ourselves up and move on.

107. JanMan says:

RA. One more thing, we have had seven days between games, every player also had two days off earlier in the week so there should be no excuses about being tired!

108. Danny says:

Don’t worry everybody, we’ll get 4th place. We’ve an easy last 6 games or so and Ramsey will be back.
    Sadly for Arsenal F.C. achieving 4th IS good enough.

Giroud could be said to have had a poor game, but he was battered and bashed with some disgusting fouls perpetrated on him with that twat of a referee doing nothing to protect him.

The whole team were bullied as I said above, but Giro was simply fouled over and over again, but unlike Suarez and others he does not know how to milk it — and altho I am sorry to say it — that is a requirement in top class football these days.

He should be thinking – you foul me, I won’t sit up and appeal to the ref like a sulky boy, I will just scream in agony, hold my head and force the referee to stop their cheating that way.

Not nice – but that is modern football.

110. JanMan says:

German SkySports news just showed the incident with Pardew. Absolutely disgusting for a football manager to do that, he clearly puts his head down/forward in the face of the Hull player. Newcastle should do the right thing and fire him!

111. JanMan says:

RA: While it is true that OG was in fact well battered today that is not an excuse. OG is a big muscular boy he should know how to take care of himself he makes himself to easy for defenses like Stoke to play him out of a game.
    I really do not like to be as critical as I am today but our players showed no heart and no fight today As I said earlier it is not as though we did not know what to expect!

Post in drafts if you want it.

113. lars says:

I love Wenger, he built Arsenal and has consistantly got us in to the top 4.

The rest break should have helped, JanMan, but it did not.

I am not wanting to be controversial, but I beginning to believe that age may be having an impact on some of our players.

We have a number of players who are around 30 years old and above, so maybe this is also a factor.

Almost half the team fall into that category; Arteta, Rosicky, Cazorla, Sagna, Mertesecker – too many?

115. lars says:

Our players showed great courage, it’s never easy going to a place like Stoke.

Have you just read my review,Janman :)

117. lars says:

We are only 4 points behind win all our remaining games and we are champions

RA.
    yes the penalty was dubious but quite honestly we didn’t deserve a draw today.

119. JanMan says:

Kelsey. No :-) do you mean your post in drafts comment?

yes i have already written my review of the game.

lars, if my uncle was my auntie ….

We are discussing just this game today :)

122. JanMan says:

RA. Good point on the age but I honestly do not believe that is a factor. They are all top fit athletes and every function of their fitness is computer controlled with the ability to identify weaknesses.

JanMan,

As I said previously, Giro has to learn how to leave the referee no choice but to protect him.

If he watches how Suarez, Rooney and others react to fouls, he could change the way the ref responds.

At the moment he just looks stupid and poor when he falls over and then complains every time he gets the ball.

Not one of his best days, unfortunately.

Redders, you say Giro was fouled over and over again. As I say I didn’t see the game, but that would suggest to me that there big guys at the back were able to get tight to him and stifle him, but as you say he was unable to milk anything from that situation to our benefit. Would a quicker more tricky player up front have drawn something more positive like a penalty say or even 2 yellows from the ref. Yellow cards and penalties seem to me to be handed out more readily when quicker players have been fouled at pace than a more static player being man-handled.

I am trying not to make harsh comments or decisions when the pain of a defeat is still raw. If someone could say to me that this defeat was wholly unlucky due to some unforeseen circumstances like complete bias from the officials and / or bad luck with injuries, then I would love to be able to say that ok it is just one of those days. If this defeat however is down to intrinsic factors where we could have done better and made better decisions then it is much more disappointing. Even then if we didn’t get it right then not getting it right as an isolated event I could again console myself with but If those factors are ones that we seem to be repeating then it is more concerning. I am not saying this is definitely the case as I am just one fan with one view but I have my concerns in this area and really hope I am wrong and wide of the mark.

125. JanMan says:

If anyone is interest Bayern are leading 4-0 against Schalke in the Bundesliga after only 35 minutes of play.

Kelsey,

I thought you already told us that your aunt is your uncle Jack!! :-)

127. JanMan says:

“Interested”

128. I don’t understand why The Ox didn’t start. We and Arsene can’t expect Giroud to perform miracles without the ball ….. no-one was feeding him. I’m really cross.

129. JanMan says:

Lars, no offense but it is past your bed time, drink your hot chocolate and and run along like a good boy :-)

RA, the age thing if correct is a concern. I have for the last few seasons consoled myself with the view that we have a maturing team that still had lots of time on its side. At some point it would hit the right optimal point where experience and youth combined to help us win things again. If it is the case and we do have too many players the wrong side now (age wise) it would suggest this current side has slid past that optimal point and therefore in order to get back to being one of the top silverware chasing sides again would require a huge financial investment in quality players of the right age. Other than that are we looking at a period of slower rebuilding of the side again over a 2-3 season period? Do we think the majority of fans would be happy if that were the case?

Janman. Lars = Troll

132. JanMan says:

Peaches. I think we are all cross :-) :-) and it really was not just a case of no one feeding OG the ball. I have always tried to defend OG enough after his Hotel scandal but today he was really poor, sorry. (as was most of the team)

133. JanMan says:

BR. Sorry. I should have known better :-)

Hi GoonerB

Giro was continually fouled, but as JanMan said he kept falling over (helped by the Orc defence) but he is so one footed he does not have the control to do anything about it.

A smaller more skilful player like the Ox who was excellent when he came on, given the circumstances, would have been able to do better against the ponderous defenders.

I think Arsene made a selection mistake and Giro fell into the hands of the Stoke defence to be honest.

There were no mitigating reasons for the result, apart from a rubbish penalty, because we were rubbish too, and never really looked like scoring, so a draw would have been the best we could have hoped for.

Got to go – the horse wants a rub down! :-)

135. JanMan says:

However, I would just like to say that I am far away from being a doomer. I am just unhappy at today’s performance as I know we under performed that’s all.

GB. IMO we have the right blend. Why should people call for Sagna to re-sign and be happy that TR did if there were concerns about an ageing squad?

We have brilliant kids who are maturing.

And most importantly, let us not forget that two of our 3 top scorers have been missing since Xmas.

Which other top 4 side has that problem?

We still have the chance to win the title and if we don’t it will be because of oil money

137. Adrian says:

Looks increasingly likely that Liverpool will overtake us now. Pains me to say this but its quite depressing really how we went from challenging for the title just a month ago to an increasingly likely scuffle for fourth place. No questions about it now, the ox has to start all our remaining games whenever fit. He is the only player with true pace in our squad atm.

138. JanMan says:

We are not out of the title race, far from it. Other teams will drop points too. There is still a long way to go yet!

Thing is the starting XI was the same as Sunderland wasn’t it? Bar Gibbs for Nacho.

So what changed between weekends?

I kind of understand why you’d leave Ox and Ozil out of the starting line up. Wait til the cloggers are tired and can’t kick anymore.

140. Nice report kelsey …………. everyone else will have to wait until tomorrow ;)

141. GiE – Ozil yes but The Ox can handle himself and we needed his pace ……………….

142. Against Sunderland the antennae were switched on ……… they all found each other, passes were zippy. Today no-one was helping Giroud, when we got a ball into the box invariably no-one was running onto it.

They seemed to not know what to expect from each other. Quite bizarre.

Well that was disappointing. Too many players were off it today.

Penalty was a freak one, but the Orcs should have been down to 10 men by then.

Ah well,onwards and (hopedully) upwards.

144. Cazorla was selfish, Ozil shot when he could have waited as three were running in. In truth we created so little I can’t blame those that had a shot ………….. we woz rubbish :(

Peaches always makes me laugh when our players are criticised for shooting as the criticism is often the reverse :)

I often do criticise for it so will watch highlights with interest.

On Ox I understand about his pace and being able to handle himself but it’s the fact that it is a far more dangerous weapon when the opposition get stretched, when he came on the opposition was tired and his fresh legs can have a field day, there is nothing to say he woud have had the same effect had he started the game.

But your latter point answers what I was asking, last week everything was gravy when we were passing well, this week not so much gravy. Unfortunately due to the way we play this is often the case in different matches.

As you say OGs role in the team depends on the attacking midfield three doing well, if they misfire the whole team does.

Seems Arsene agrees with you about selfishness

147. lars says:

We’ll win the title this season trust me

With regards to age, Chelsea haven’t exactly got a young team.

149. As I said, I can’t really blame them because it was so rare that we even had a sniff of goal.

Last week Cazorla was the maestro with Rosicky backing him up
    and everything worked like clockwork. As you say when it’s good it’s very good but today it was horrid.

Also we were hell bent in playing through the middle, those lovely one twos that when they work are awesome but today ran straight into three pairs of orc legs. They may be slow and ponderous but they do know how to defend.

We just needed to mix it up a bit and use the wings.

Horse’s owner has beaten me to it.

Exile, I know you did not see the game, but whoever was talking about the shooting at goal was perhaps frustrated that there was hardly a shot on their goal, except when Cazzor took on a shot – which sounds positive – but the wrong choice because there were two of our players screaming for the ball 10 yards out with no one near them.

Then Cazzor blew it.

Later on, the Ox cut back a super ball to Sanogo who hit Row Z, maybe a bobble – who knows.

Anyway, everyone will have calmed down by tomorrow and we will all get back into the swing of things and be looking forward to next weeks FA Cup game. :-)

I think we would nearly all agree that Ollie is not a clinical striker., that doesn’t mean he can’t score or assist as they hold up at being quite good.
    I can only remember once this season in the last few moments of the match with Everton, he swivelled and shot with venom and it struck post and crossbar, so maybe thst’s not a natural part of his game.

Football is the best ball game in the world because of its unpredictable nature.

When we played Stoke at the Emirates, in the Autumn, they were basically the same players we met today, and as expected we beat them without too much trouble. What changed?

Right that’s all the comments done with,what shall we talk about tomorrow…Pardew :)

Peaches at 7:03,

You are spot on.

Especially about the Orc with the three pairs of legs, but what can you do? :-)

OK, Kelsey, you are right – see you tomorrow.

156. Sweeps says:

same old same old. We needed to buy a goalkeeper for years we didn’t, we needed to buy a top centre half for years we didn’t and now we need a top striker. Wenger knew and did nothing about it, As Bergkamp said at half time last week its all about winning trophies.

We have Szczesny, we have BFG and Koz, who is the striker?

Arsene more often than not has a plan or a reason.

He has rebuilt a squad in two-three years, a squad that is now a gnats whisker away from doing great things. Can he find the missing pieces? Well the anew sponsorship deals that we have from next season will definitely help in that regard.

158. City Realist says:

well don’t say you weren’t warned….enjoy your evening gents :-)

Thanks for the pre-match, BR.

Twitter had been stoking up the flames of hatred for Stoke all week so I can’t really say I was looking forward to Ant and mine’s trip to the Brittania today.

Really ugly performance, ugly opposition, ugly supporters for both them and us and an ugly game of football. Quite fitting that a pretty pathetic penalty decided the game in the end.
    We really don’t know how to play them away from home, do we.

We were low down 6 in the corner near the tunnel. My god Stoke are massive.

Is this malicious or just clumsy? Either way it’s gotta hurt because Charlie Adam is a fat bastard.

I must say, after watching that game, man, I love Arsenal

Yeah, we got beat and have deficencies, but its a wonderful work in progress.

Every time I watch those famous red and white shirts or the Charlie George yellow I get goosebumps

Like you all, I am sometimes right, sometimes wrong, and sometimes, dont know wether ime right or wrong. hahaha. Though one thing I am sure of is that i will be back next game, and the game after that willing the lads on to victory.

The “Ghosts of the Thirties”? They are always here, there, and everywere. Our time for silverware will come.

Keep the faith

Chas, Adam is a nasty F*cker.

I wish i had him here in front of me now. Ive got my Onesie and my Ali Barbar slippers on. Would love to see his face as hes beaten to a pulp by a top nerd.

GIE, I absolutely agree. I think we are so close. I have been critical tonight and to boot haven’t even seen the game or highlights at this stage yet, so agreeing with you that Arsene is very close may seem a bit contradictory and slightly arrogant.

I think if Arsene can get the final 2-3 pieces of the jigsaw in place then we are rocking and rolling and will be a great team that will win things again, and win them in style. I actually desperately want this for him which is why I get so very frustrated. Currently I don’t think we quite have the team for this, and feel we could still do better with the current squad we have available if we were a bit more savvy, which again is why I get so very frustrated.

Sorry to put a dampener on things but I feel our only realistic chance this year is the F.A cup, and we should fling everything at it. I for one would not be unhappy with an F.A cup this year and then move on. Next year if we get those right 2-3 players then the jig-saw could be complete and all my nonsense talk about changing tactical set-ups for different teams will hopefully, and could in reality, become obsolete.

Thank god you have arrived Terry to lift me from my negative malaise. You are like the terminator of positive thinking, you cannot be stopped. I didn’t realise that if you wore a onesie and Ali Barbar slippers you were a nerd,… mmm…I will have to have a rethink. What would be your take on a onesie and a pair of Jesus Creepers.

Podobviouski
    March 1, 2014 at 5:50 pm

Once upon a time,
    There lived in Stoke town a mad scientist called Pewlease. One day while tinkering around with his time machine experiments, he accidentally opened up a time portal. He stepped through it and found himself at a Neanderthal bonfire party; and in no time he became the best of chums with the lot, it just came naturally to him. He then bought them over to his place back through the portal, because there was an unfortunate lack of cheap beer in the prehistoric times.
    But then something went wrong and the time portal collapsed, and the neanderthals were stuck in the present.
    Being boorish, uncouth people incapable of stringing together sentences, they couldnt go about much;
    But Mr. Pewlease observed that the bunch took great pleasure in kicking rocks about, and thougt he could get them to play football:
    And thus Stoke City FC was born.

GoonerB

you make some interesting points but if possible you have to see the game for yourself and then give your opinion on the performance in general.

That was good to get out for a bit.

Damn, Chas, hadn’t realized you went. Good news is this, in light of our crap day, Peaches said you could put up any filth you like, and it’s fine by her. She understands the circs.

I will definitely see the highlights Kelsey (MOTD unfortunately) but am aware this doesn’t always give you the best impression of the whole game, which I will try and find somewhere else if possible. I am someone who prefers to make a comment based on having seen the whole game, so I am going a bit off centre with my criticism tonight. The negative feelings I have expressed are based on something that I feel has been an issue for us for a while so are not purely centered on today’s bad result, but I still remain optimistic in most senses.

I was listening to soccer Saturday and the frequent reports on this game didn’t sound great, and I was also reading the comments on here from those watching and it didn’t sound good either, but you are right and I ought to refrain a bit until I actually see the whole game myself.

Never been into Jesus Creepers GB. Im so hairy that ime scared if someone saw my feet they would ring up the police claiming a wild animal has escaped form the Zoo

Honestly mate, If my head was removed, i would make an excellent Persian Rug.

On the plus side Terry, Peter Jackson is still looking for a few extras for the third and final installment of The Hobbit trilogy. I think you could make the part of an unusual hobbit love interest your own.

GoonerB

Word of friendly advice. Better things to do with 95 mins :-)

Mind you, if you want suggestions, then I reckon Transplant is probably your man :-)

Wow, rugs on body as well as head

172. Evenetning all, a nice Pre match from Big and Dandy followed by a not so nice result.

I haven’t seen the game but at the moment I can only comment on the effect of the result, namely that we drop to 3rd and the the 4th placed team(Shitty) have 2 games in hand on us and are only 2 points behind.

I’ll be blunt, today was the day our title challenge ended and we are now in a battle for 3rd place.

We should concentrate on winning the FA Cup now as it’s our only viable chance for a trophy.

I think it’s quite funny people saying we’re out of the race.

30 points to play for. 4 behind.

I tell you something, Pool have just gone above us, and their fans are now (rightly) saying they are genuine contenders. Guess what, level on points.

Thing is, had we begun the day 7 behind the Leaders, and ended the day 4 behind, we’d all be believing.

Kinda depends on whether you are a quitter or not.

Also, on the radio, they had Everton fans wanting to avoid the Europa.

Ha ha Chary
    I was still typing.
    You’re in my Quitter Camp :-)

175. Sweeps says:

Gooner in Exile Szcz and Koz lost us the Carling Cup Final because Wenger wouldn’t buy an experienced goalkeeper or centre half that we were crying out for at the time.

176. Yeah probably MDi89 :( , I just can’t see the Oiley bastard sugar daddy clubs both messing up enough to let us back in.

Are you going to the Everton game ? I am, looking forward to it even if we’ve changed the venue of the pre match piss up as, like Sheldon Lee Cooper, I hate change.

Tim, from 7amkickoff is coming over for that game too so if any of you fancy saying hi let me know.

Munich next for me Chary. I’m going all the way to Lisbon :-)

Not doing well on home games this season. Actually, worst season ever. Might squeeze the odd game in before The CL Semis :-)

178. arnie says:

Chums, very depressing game. Myself and Mrs watched in an Irish pub in Berlin. Thankfully, there is still some positive vibes in AA. Thank you all. Particularly, Chas and Ant who braved the hooligans away at Brfittania. TMHT and Micky, you are brilliant. Kelsey’s pre post report review post should be a voice of reason. Onwards and upwards. :D :D

Will be way most of the day tomorrow. While people are away, let me squeeze in the mob poll bollix. This was a well and true dampener. Our odds now stand at 25%, Chavs 55% and Shitty 20%. But given the volatile nature of the League, the Chavs can fall to 25% next week and we are in the mix. Onwards and upwards. :D :D :D

Chin up, guys. All to play for!!!! :D :D :D

179. arnie says:

“Where the mind is without fear and the head is held high;
    Where knowledge is free;
    Where the world has not been broken up into fragments by narrow domestic walls;
    Where words come out from the depth of truth;
    Where tireless striving stretches its arms towards perfection;
    Where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way into the dreary desert sand of dead habit;
    Where the mind is led forward by thee into ever-widening thought and action;
    Into that heaven of freedom, my Father, let my country awake.”

Onwards and upwards!!!! :D :D :D

Not bad yourself Arnie :-)

It’s now goodnight from him. Goodnight.

181. arnie says:

Micky. :D

182. Well hope you have a good time in Bavaria Mdi89.

Sweeps I’m sorry that’s just a short term view you have. Your decision to but a better keeper and centre back then would mean Szczesny and Koz would be plying their trade elsewhere.

And whilst their mistake may have given the goal away on that day there were 9 other men on the pitch some who felt they were too good for a trophyless side but who were not capable of putting us in a winning position on that day way before the 90th minute of the game.

GB, like you I haven’t watched today’s game hence why I was asking questions about why people think the same side that swept Sunderland aside did not fire today.

All those suggesting going all out for the FA Cup…how would you feel winning the FA Cup but finishing the League qualifying for Spursdays?

184. GiE, I was kind of hoping FA Cup priority wouldn’t mean necessarily dropping to 5th.

In which case we just concentrate on the league only and the 4th place trophy ? :(

Chary me wither, i’m just gauging how important the trophy is :D

For me i’d love to win it so we can get the monkey off the back. But if we don’t it won’t be the end of the world.

Micky i’d love to believe but maybe this is why those 30 points don’t look so winnable:

Arsenal Chavs Shitty Dippers
    Hull Swansea Crystal Palace Crystal Palace
    Chelsea Liverpool Everton Manchester United
    Tottenham Hotspur Aston Villa Manchester United Cardiff
    Hull

MOOOORNING KELSEEEEY

Hi Exile

It would not surprise me if Shitty or Chavs drew or lost any of their away games, that’s all.

Do I think we are still contenders? Not if Arsene sets up his team as he did yesterday. No chance whatsoever. That’s all :-)

So much for Death Cluster 9001 and Death Cluster 9002.
    What about Zombie Death Weekend Intermission – Revenge of the Orcs?
    ………..and we’re still looking more than one game ahead!

He he he

Chas, just emailed you some incredible wave pics.

Wow, amazing.
    The 4th one down where the water looks as though it has been totally sucked up from the beach!

192. evonne says:

Thank Dennis for Pardew, at least we are not on front pages of rugs.

I am terribly unhappy and keep turning the volume down each time there is sport on the news. BUT I am not disappointed, I could see it happening. We scrapped through many games this year and were happy that we can grind results.

FA cup and Thursday footy is fine by me. I would prefer that than 4th at any cost. That would give the unhappy fans food for thought – we didn’t even qualify for the CL. Good, that’s what you wanted twats.

Mind you, how can we finish 5th? Everton, Totts or ManU to overtake us? Don’t think so. So, it is 4th and FA cup, anything else and we failed.

Back to the question I asked last week – would we be better off if we spent £8mil extra and got Suarez instead of Ozil? No doubt in my mind.

No massive fan of the old Ultravoxer, but did see this tour. Limited choice down here you understand.

This is Minack Theatre on cliffs, Cornwall. They do Shakespeare and shit as well.

Where does 8million extra come from?

Shakespeare and shit. :)

I sat there giggling thinking he looks like Bruce Willis. Couldn’t help imagining he’d be down to white vest and blooded-up at any moment.

Here’s great vid of Minack.

That cliff venue looks amazing. Couldn’t watch Midge for longer than 30 seconds though.
    Saw these on Friday night. Very enjoyable.

199. evonne says:

Micky – what’s that vid at 7:08, really strange :)

200. evonne says:

it’s ok, googled Minack. Looks better without people

Morning.

Some interesting points evonne.

Maybe I misread but I read a contradiction in your comments.

If we were to totally colapse which I doubt, yet managed to win the FA Cup but finish fifth I think that Wenger would resign as he would never be sacked.
    He still hasn’t signed a new contract but I am led to believe he has said he would wait until May.

Failure to qualify for the CL would restrict the number of high quality players that might feel that they want to join us,as most want to play in this elite competition.
    With regards to Suarez as opposed to Ozil I don’t think one can make a direct comparison in playing style and Liverpool can often play with a three pronged attack.
    In money terms based purely on this season so far he has been most probably the best player in the PL but he may not have fitted into our system as he does at Liverpool.

In an ideal situation to have bought both and be even more ruthless in getting rid of a few more high earning bench warmers may have benefited us.

Minack and Porthcurno has to be one of the prettiest coves in Cornwall if not the world.

The thing about that beach is it looks like a tropical reef from above, a tropical beach that Brits search the world to find on their holidays.

If only we had sunshine as good as guaranteed.

Hi Evonne

A while ago I was talking to a Production bloke at the Minack and was muttering about weather conditions stopping shows, and he said biggest threat was dolphins.

They appear, production stops, as he said no production can compete and the entire audience switch their attentions to the sea :-)

They pause, and hope the fish bugger off

True Exile

But if the weather was guaranteed hot, the tourists would be guaranteed as well.

205. evonne says:

Kelsey – “Failure to qualify for the CL would restrict the number of high quality players that might feel that they want to join us” :) :) That’s ok, we will carry on buying unknown names and turning them or not into stars.

GiE – cheers, I have only been to Cornwall once, last year. Must say that I prefer North Wales

Kelsey can’t argue with much of that point of view. I do wonder whether Liverpool were ever going to sell Suarez though? He has had new contracts in each of the last two seasons. And the owners (if sticking to the US Sports Model) would probably sacrifice other areas in the team to keep their marquee player whilst he puts bums on seats and sells merchandise.

But I certainly agree that had we had Suarez in our squad we would have had to find a new way of getting the ball up the pitch, and as you say a different style of play to get best out of him.

207. evonne says:

Really? Fantastic! I think I’d rather watch dolphins too :)

GIE Do you think we would have bid for a player who wasn’t available. I like to think that at Arsenal we do things properly, but who knows.

Didn’t Arsene say the Suarez thing was one of the most embarrassing episodes in his time at Arsenal.

Whatever he meant.

210. Which one of these`s girls do you think was worried about our Death Cluster 2 ?.

211. Must admit I choked up too whilst watching this……..bastard mutt nicked my last sausage off my plate !.

212. arnie says:

Motning all. :D :D :D I see we are alive and not all curled up in bed!!!! :D

Not sure arnie. Maybe they have all gone back to bed or are watching dolphins.

Blimey Cockie
    I watched some of those away fans interviews. Yikes, I’d imagine they’re normally a fairly resilliant lot.

Kelsey
    We are not allowed to discuss the game until the review goes up :-)

Paper run

217. I’ll put you out of your misery then …………….

218. arnie says:

Kelsey. :D Good point, Micky. We could well have discussed yesterday’s events though, assuming we have the appetite, since Kelsey’s report would have been written the previous day? :razz:

219. Motrning all

We have a New Post ………………….