Kim’ll Fix It………or maybe not!

About a week ago I’d had enough of this January transfer window. I was sick of all the rumours about Draxler and Morata, and after the ‘confirmed’ signings of Higuain, Fellaini, Grenier etc in the summer, I had learnt my lesson that all transfer rumours are absolute bollocks and you shouldn’t believe anything until it’s on arsenal.com.

Kim-KBut when I woke up yesterday and turned on Sky Sports News I couldn’t help but get a little excited about what the day had in store, espescially when I heard Wenger say something about being 80% sure he could deliver us a shiny new toy!

Unfortunately, what transpired was a bit of a let down, as our shiny new toy turned out to be a rusty, old bike. No, it wasn’t Kim Kardashian, it was none other than 31 year old Swedish International Kim Källström!

kallstrom

In fairness to Kim, she’s got a cracking figure….sorry, I mean he’s got a great left foot, and I’ve not really seen much of him in action, so maybe I was being a bit unfair, but his signing just left me a little underwhelmed.

Looking at twitter and the comments on here yesterday evening it was obvious that most people agreed, but does a lack of any real transfer activity mean we have lost all hope of a good season? I don’t think so.

Team updates:-

Man City 53 pts no signings

Arsenal 52 pts Källström in

Chelsea 50 pts Matic, Salah in Mata out

Liverpool 46 pts no signings

Tottenham 43 pts no signings

Everton 42 pts Traore, McGeady, Stanek in

Man United 40 pts Mata in

If you look at the top 7 of the PL, nobody has really strengthened apart from United. Some may argue Chelsea and Everton are stronger because they’ve signed players, but I don’t think adding numbers means you’ve added quality. Chelsea have replaced Mata with Matic and Salah, not exactly like for like is it?

All in all, nothing has happened in this transfer period that should get Arsenal fans worried. In my opinion we still have the players to challenge for trophies this season, and after too many years scrapping for a CL spot, I would say that’s a big step in the right direction.

We are nowhere near the finished article, with GK, CB, DM, LW and CF all positions that could arguably do with strengthening in the summer, and Källström is definitely not the long term answer (what was the question again!?), but that doesn’t mean this transfer window has been a failure.

In conclusion, we have as good a chance of winning a trophy as we did before the TW opened. Depending on your own outlook on Arsenal FC at the moment that could mean zero chance or guaranteed silverware.

Personally, I think we will fall just short behind City and Chelsea, but I’m certain we will see a massive improvement on last season, and I’m even more certain that improvement will have very little to do with Kim Källström.

Sorry Kim!

FatGingerGooner

221 Responses to Kim’ll Fix It………or maybe not!

First up. Rasp. Never mind. Bastard WordPress.

:lol: Micky

Do you think the gratuitous inclusion of busty supermodels should be an integral part of Saturday posts in the future? :oops:

FGG

Well to the plate stepped up. Thank you.

Always good to have a blatantly sexist picture. I am 100% behind it.

As for Kim Maelstrom, who knows. Could well really help out, so that would be good. Thing is, you shop for two things. Practical stuff, and exciting sexy stuff. You kinda need both, unless you’re plain boring.

Trouble is, the really exciting stuff is attacking, fast, skillful, and full of guaranteed goals, and they are very rare and very expensive and not one moved anywhere in the window.

AW knows he wants one, and will get one I’m sure, just there were none available. He would have got a right bollocking, and rightly so, for buying in average.

Rasp
    Have I just answered your question.

Thanks FGG, bang on the money for me.

I don’t want to be disrespectful to Kim, hopefully he will be a maelstrom in defensive midfield – but I can’t see him being much more than insurance.

As Micky says, the top strikers aren’t available at the moment and we want to recruit the best – so let’s wait and see in the summer.

I wonder if we’d have brought in Kimmy if Coquelin had not been out on loan. Frimmers must be doubly pee’d off now, he was after all supposed to be a midfield enforcer.

Rasp
    Frimpong is a moron.

Do we think Chelsea are stronger or weaker as a result of their transfers?

I think weaker.

Raddy did you mean every word of your 9.26 last night?

Anyway Morning everyone.

I don’t read red top rumours or the headline shite on Newsnow and I don’t know if there was an intention to bring in some real quality players in this window or not but we will just have to play with what we have got and hope for the best.

My heart says it might just be a step too far for us this season to improve further but we are certainly heading in the right direction but my head says otherwise and just one or two more injuries especially in the next 6 weeks and we will have a fight to keep our top 4 place

No Frimpong is a head case. Didn’t he get sent off against Stoke in his first or one of his first games for us.

10. YY says:

Why not get back Coquelin? He is warming the bench or played in another position. We lost 2 from injuries /Walcott and Ramsey/, sold 2 /Park and Frimpong/, but acquired only one. To be fair to the Swede, he is a free kick master and if he can teach some of the others his tricks for the next 6 months, his acquisition will be more than justified. The problem is that Wenger is back to his old habits of selling more and buying less and wasting the opportunity now for the supposed one in the near future. I am sick of hearing about the future – I want success NOW.

Hi Kelsey

Obviously it’s true about our vulnerability to injuries, but that applies to others as well. Look how Utd have done without Brave. He could break down again. City have just lost Aguero for a bit.

We could discuss other teams and their weak spots.

Chavs: Cahill?
    City: Toure?
    Pool: Durr
    Utd: Brave

12. Norfolk Gooner says:

Move over a bit Micky, I want to get behind it too. :D

I’ll give you 20 minutes before I start up again, Norfolk. GO!

14. Norfolk Gooner says:

‘morning all, Thankyou FGG, I think you have said it all about the transfer window. The whole thing is a complete wind up.

Micky, according to Moist BSR is the one who decides when BSR is fit to play, so that’s a significant pointer as to how things have changed at Old Toilet. Can you imagine Old Rednose’s reaction if a player said he wasn’t fit and didn’t want to play?

15. Norfolk Gooner says:

20 minutes? Twenty seconds will do! Gone!

Norfolk

I guarantee Brave ensures he’s in peak condition for the WC :-)

OK guys – so what do we think AW has in mind from Podolski?

My guess is still that he’ll be going the other way if we sign Draxler in the summer and that would also have happened if we’d managed to do the deal in January.

That’s what I thought and said the other day Rasp.

19. JanMan says:

Interesting post FGG. Well January madness is finally over. I am sure we are all a little disappointed especially after all of the speculation that is thrown in our faces every day leading up to the 31st of January. However, is it really that bad? Our Swedish signing could prove to be an ace in the hole when we put it into the right perspective and that is a short gap fix based on the midfield injuries! It was not that long ago when Wenger was heavily criticised for not bringing in experience and relying too much on youth. In the summer he brought in Arteta and the Flamster and now in the winter, Kallstrom, who comes with bags of experience. It seems as though no matter what he does, Wenger gets slammed from someone. It is obvious that Wenger was trying to get in a striker but for whatever reason it did not happen. As football fans it is our right to discuss, complain and say why wasn’t this done or why wasn’t that done but at the end of the day none of us really know the truth behind any of the events other than drawing opinions from what we read or hear!
    January madness is over, bring on reality and the next game.

20. arnie says:

Motning all, just about. :razz:

Lovely stuff, FGG. Just the right dose of methadone. :D :D :D

Oi GiE, what is this good cop bad cop business? :D Dont believe a word, Ginger. BTW, I thought a photo of young Jack Gooner was on its way as well!! :D :D :D

Would Karshadian have been more useful to the team, I wonder! Seriously though, Maelstrom is not too bad. Only a loan deal. A bench warmer, really, insurance policy. Not cup tied, experienced, and then I am lost for any other good things to say. Oh dear!!!!

Anyway, there is a difference between short term backups (loans) and the long term project. Maelstrom is part of the short term, Ozil and Draxler (hopefully) part of the long term. January is not an ideal time to do long term business. Most of the names doing the rounds in the rumour mill were short term.

So we are where we are. On with the show! :D :D :D

21. arnie says:

OK, the transfer rumour mill. Come on, it is not too bad. Two points.

First, as Micky says, maybe it is a generation thing. But it does not stop the experienced seniours to go off in reminiscence of the good old days. Eusebio arriving into Madrid in a mule cart to be greeted by the King. Or similar. It will be even more fun.

Second, and more seriously, this is the only time when we seriously look beyond the EPL at talents elsewhere in Europe (perhaps the world). I think this is useful as well.

Long live transfer windows!!!!! :D :D :D

Anyone know who is not available tomorrow. apart from long term injured and Flamini. Are Rosicky and Wiltshere fit. I have read mixed reports about both.
    Interesting that most of the transfer activity was clubs near the bottom of the table.Will be intersting how many of Pulis’s new signings if any play tomorrow.
    I fear a park the bus with the occasional hoof though to be fair Palace aren’t Stoke.

How many of you remember us winning 4-1 at Selhurst Park, I think early seventies when George Graham won Goal of the Season on ITV’S The Big Match.

Wilshere is out (ankle)

24. arnie says:

Kelsey: apparently, Rosicky is available. We may get to see a masked Mozart!!!! :D

The Czech Batman :)

26. arnie says:

Rasp, Kelsey: Personally I am not in favour of a Poldi-Draxler swap. I think the swap was part of the journo bollix. But if Poldi is not happy, a big if, he will leave in the summer. :sad:

27. arnie says:

Kelsey: :D

Hi arnie, I think the Pod has grounds to feel a bit overlooked. I can only see a niggling injury as grounds for him not to have been brought on earlier, or started against the saints

29. jnyc says:

Let’s not give our new guy a hard time just because we wanted a big signing. He is just as Arsene described. A body. I am a bit tired of the fragility of our midfielders that I love. Jack, rosicky, arteta. All of whom can’t play two 90 minutes matches in a row, let alone in one week.
    Add to that flaminis stupidity, and ramseys injury, then you have need for a Body.
    I do blame Arsene somewhat for not giving ramsey even the slightest minutes rest. Playing him 90 after 90 no matter how close the games were scheduled. If we had to play 4 matches in a week, he would have used him in 4.
    And yes, I complained about it at the time .
    When our wingers were out injured, we didn’t use gnabry, instead, midfielders on wing, which meant even less rotation of midfielders.

30. JanMan says:

Well I see that my post was not worthy of any further comments/discussion and no one wants to talk to me so therefore I’ll bugger off and go shopping with the wife :-) :-)
    Hopefully three points tomorrow and a City-Chelsea draw.
    I wish all AA’s a great weekend :-)

31. Arnie ! You could say that he’s a free kick artist, and that, can win games. So, not a bad signing in the end. Would have been nice to get Klose too.

32. jnyc says:

One more thing, if berbatov does well, I am going to be even more annoyed that we ruled him out without consideration.

33. Ramgun says:

Actually, Kelsey, it was 5-1 at Selhurst in 1969/70. John Radford scored a hat-trick and, yes, George Graham did score the goal of the season that day. The season ended with an unforgettable night of triumph against Anderlecht and our first trophy for 17 years. We are currently half-way to another trophy-less 17 years!

Nice one FGG

I’m very happy with KK. He’s got 108 caps. plenty of ECL experience and is a good dead ball specialist. He’s an old head who will be helpful when we’re closing out games etc.

I’m not sure why everyone is so down on him.

I think he’ll be just fine filling in for Arteta and/or Flamini on occasion.

I found the whole transfer window quite amusing. I’m sure we’d have gone for a higher profile player (an attacker) if the opportunity had been there and the deal was right, but that wasn’t the case.

The upcoming run of tough games is a time for the players to remember how they went about business in the second half of last season: be hard to beat and fight for each other every step of the way.

Cheers, FGG.

The latest twatter rumour is that Kallstrom injured himself in training today.

That’s just been reported on R5 too Chas.

I do hope not! Apparently a back injury. :(

Nice post FGG, given the news on our new signing maybe the Kardashian would have been a better bet.

Whoever said get Coquelin back earlier…..spot on!

37. arnie says:

Chas: ha ha ha. :D Not that I am amused, I laugh at our misfortunes.

Rasp: agreed. :D :D

Nice one, FGG,

I think everyone has had enough of the Transfer Window, but it leads into the criticise Arsene Wenger window. :-)

39. arnie says:

JanMan: Fine comment. But I find nothing to disagree with. What a pity. It seems disagreement makes for active discussion. :D :D :D

Rocky,

With the howls of disappointment at the loaning of Kallstrom yesterday still ringing in my ears, I am now awaiting the first howls from the same guys saying his alleged injury is a disaster — and blaming Wenger! :-)

Too true it does, arnie, and I disagree with every word you typed, :-)

42. arnie says:

Benjamin: Yes, I saw the fantastic free kicks, and yes, they were impressive. But almost all were to the top right corner. All our opponents would have seen that as well. :D :D But that is not the important point. I think it is a good loan signing. Good experienced player, can hold the ball, take it out of defence and distribute upfront. That sounds all good to me. Not fascinating, but good enough. :D :D :D

43. Norfolk Gooner says:

If it’s true that Kallstrom has a back injury which will keep him out for weeks rather than days the loan should be terminated forthwith.

I know the reports are saying he injured his back in his first training session, but how thorough was the medical.

There’s a strong smell of rotting fish about this.

44. arnie says:

Redders: Good. :D That means we have something to discuss. On with it. :D :D

45. arnie says:

oh dear! some more crocked crockery for the display shelf. Oh dear!!!! :sad: Blame Wenger!!!!!! :D ::D :D

46. evonnee says:

good post Ginger, one I wholeheartedly agree with. Kim will have no impact on our title challenge, unless another midfielder gets himself injured or suspended. Yes, we have already made huge improvement in the way we play (solid defence), but other teams are moving in the same direction even faster than us. I don’t want to spoil arnie’s party, but I agree with you about us finishing 3rd, both oilers are looking incredibly strong.

I have high hopes for the FA cup though, if we get knocked out by Pool I am going to be upset. Thanks once again

47. arnie says:

ROLF in the offing!!!! come on Spuds. give us some (more) joy!!!!! Hull 1 – 0 Spuds. :D :D

48. arnie says:

Pingpong red carded. :sad: or is it :D ?

Frimpong sent off after 35 minutes two bookings…..guess that’s why he was never trusted by Arsene.

Kelsey it was Liverpool home from memory….PL opening day at home after Cesc left and we waited for Nasri to go.

Double ROLF :)
    Orcs one up v ManUre

Stoke 1 – ManUre 0 think I’ll turn the radio off now

52. arnie says:

Stoke lead against Manure!!!!!! Moist In Moist In Moist IN!!!!!!

I would rather have KK than Coquelin. Young Coq showed some promise but would have had to make a big, big step up to be a safe pair of hands (feet?) in the first team.

Jones and Evans subbed off with injuries…..Mata purchase not so clever now.

55. Norfolk Gooner says:

Rocky I’ll agree with your KK/Coquelin preference if I can add a caveat, A fully fit Kalstrom not a crocked one.

Nice – Orcs back in front against ManUre

57. arnie says:

good good, looking tasty!!!!!! :D :D

58. arnie says:

Hull 1 – 1 Spuds.

59. fatgingergooner says:

Thanks for the comments. It seems I was correct when I said KK was a rusty old bike! Injured in his first training session!? Oh my word.

Some decent looking scores in the PL at the moment though. Could give us a bit of breathing space in the top 4.

60. arnie says:

7 mins Moist time. shocking!!!!!

61. arnie says:

rolf rolf rolf.

United lose again…does it really mata :)

I watched a bit of Spurs, could have gone either way but Hull should have won in the last 10 minutes, that Lloris is a nutter.

See when you don’t predict ROLFs you get ROLFs. 3 in 4 days in fact.

65. 26may1989 says:

David Ornstein, BBC:

“New Arsenal signing Kim Kallstom is set for a spell on the sidelines with a back injury that was discovered in the medical before he signed on loan from Spartak Moscow.

“The 31-year-old Sweden midfielder sustained the problem on Tuesday while playing football on a beach during Spartak’s pre-season tour in Abu Dhabi.

“He informed Arsenal of discomfort upon arriving at the club on Friday but, despite an MRI scan showing no damage, a CT scan found an issue with his back.

“He is expected to miss at least Arsenal’s next six games, in which they face Crystal Palace, Liverpool twice, Manchester United, Bayern Munich and Sunderland.

“Kallstrom did not train with his new team-mates on Friday or Saturday and will briefly return to Sweden and Russia before moving to London and beginning a course of treatment.

“The former Lyon player, Arsenal’s only signing in the January transfer window, joined on loan until the end of the season to provide cover for injured midfielders Aaron Ramsey and Jack Wilshere, plus the suspended Mathieu Flamini.”

Credit to Martinez found a way to win without a recognised striker on the pitch.

And why when people played the David Moyes game I was playing the Roberto Martinez game.

Moyes always asked what else was he supposed to do other than play defensive football with the players at his disposal and the spending power of the club. Well David you encourage them to play football.

And whilst Moyes was blaming Everton’s style Martinez was busy keeping Wigan up with a budget that was Championship at best and with players that were not the most skillful or highly rated. And he nearly always took defeat with good grace and always put victories on his players shoulders. If we recruit from within the PL when Arsene moves on and if Martinez hasn’t landed a top European job I do hope it’s him we go for.

Presumably the clamouring for the likes of Laudrup will calm down as he appears to be losing the plot at Swansea.

The Kallstrom injury is looking even more strange.

Allegedly, he told Arsenal BEFORE the medical that he had hurt his back playing beach football.

The medical team eventually picked up on the injury, but Arsenal decided to go ahead with the deal and treat him ‘in house’, before realising how serious it was.

It is estimated he will be out for approx 6 games – and if that is an Arsenal estimate experience would suggest doubling it.

Weird?

68. 26may1989 says:

Agreed Exile, Martinez looked quality at Wigan, doubly so now at Everton. That said, he inherited a good, well balanced squad.

And yes, Laudrup is having a mare at Swansea this year. Did it start to go wrong when he bought Shelvey?

If that is true and I have no reason to think otherwise it is absolutely shambolic that we signed regardless if it was on loan.

“The Arsenal medical team provided manager Arsene Wenger with the prognosis, but it was decided Kallstrom would still join and undergo his rehabilitation with the Gunners.”

What is all this bolloxs, We are a football club not a rehabillition centre.

70. fatgingergooner says:

Check out the writers twitter feed who tweeted this an hour before writing that blog about Kallstrom:

Kallstrom suffered back injury in first #afc training session-being assessed. Understood reports of 2-3 months out inaccurate #bbcfootball

Doesn’t sound like someone in the know. Sounds more like someone seeing an opportunity to stir things up for Arsene if you ask me.

71. fatgingergooner says:

So this guy has tweeted that KK injured in training session, then he’s blogged that he didn’t in fact train at all, and now SSN have used his blog as fact.

Is this proof of the media’a hatred of our club?

Maybe someone should contact this guy and ask him to explain his differing stories.

FGG,

That is why we start off stories of unknown provenance with the word ‘allegedly’.

Sky Sports have reported it as 26th has quoted. A bloody joke.

74. fatgingergooner says:

Media are a joke RA.

Will be an interesting post match interview tomorrow.

This is how it was reported by Reuters::

–(Reuters) – Arsenal have denied media reports that new loan signing Kim Kallstrom suffered a back problem in his first training session with the club.

Earlier on Saturday the BBC said the 31-year-old Sweden midfielder faced a lengthy spell on the sidelines after picking up the injury the day after completing a loan move from Spartak Moscow.

Communications director Mark Gonnella (AFC) told Reuters the injury was not sustained in training and that the London club were “aware he had a problem through medical checks”.

Arsenal, second in the Premier League, host Crystal Palace on Sunday.

Doesn’t sound like hate filled media report to me.

Did that van Persie heat map tweet get deleted or was it a wordpress error?

Kelsey,

26 did not mention Kallstrom or his injury, and I never mentioned Sky Sports News, apart from that i agree with you. :-)

Just kidding, Kelsey.

Can’t give 26 too much credit! :-)

FGG

Does it really matter. If AW has sanctioned the deal and the guy is out for at least the next 6 weeks why the hell did we get him. We needed cover now.
    Of course some could argue that he could have passed his medical with flying colours and sustained a long term injury the first time he played, nevertheless a strange decision whichever way you look at it.

I seem to recall Arsenal signed Arteta when he was carrying an injury, and that seems reasonable on a permanent contract.

Depending on the severity of the injury to Kallstrom, it does seem a little strange on a supposedly short term contract.

I agree with you Kelsey.

Chas, I saw that informative Sir Brave Whatnot on AA earlier – must have been removed by the fairies! :-)

Must have been wordpress then.

83. fatgingergooner says:

RA,

The same Mike Gonella (apparently!):

Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet claim that having not played since November due to the winter break in Russia, Kallstrom has been injured in his first training session with Arsenal.

Aftonbladet have spoken to Arsenal press officer Mark Gonella, who was unwilling to either confirm or deny the story.

“I am waiting to hear something about it” said Gonella, and when pressed on wether he could confirm the story the news sounded ominous.

“Not right now.”

“I am waiting to hear from the medical team”.

FGG. Well played sir. Don’t want to write about the TW until my post – that way no-one can argue :-D

Moist In!

This is another quote, which does not have a guaranteed provenance;

Draxler – allegedly – said;

–“After the transfer window closed on Friday evening, the blame game was being played with it being reported that the Arsenal board had been willing to pay for Julian Draxler but Arsene Wenger would not agree the fee.

Now today the player himself is being reported as saying that it was Schalke who stopped the deal going through, which would lead you to believe that it was neither Arsenal not Arsene (to blame).

Draxler allegedly said “I wanted to go and had a good offer to leave. (from Arsenal) But the Schalke [general] manager Horst Heldt said no to the transfer and would not let me go.”

As we all know – the truth rarely makes it out of these confidential negotiations, but it puts AW in a different light, on face value.

86. fatgingergooner says:

Kelsey,

No it doesn’t matter that hundreds of thousands of Arsenal fans will now be unhappy in thinking that Arsene Wenger signed an injured player to cover the squad for the next few months.

I’m sure it won’t make a difference to the atmosphere around the club and I’m sure it won’t stir up any ill feelings in those who were already annoyed about our transfer dealings.

I’m also sure it won’t give those fans another reason to moan about the club manager.

88. fatgingergooner says:

RA,

‘Allegedly’ definitely helps!

89. 26may1989 says:

Michael Owen, getting political…….

It is weird, to have signed someone short-term when they’re injured but I feel a bit relieved that it was known before. That means it was deliberate and Wenger clearly sees a contribution that Kallstrom can make, even if he has arrived injured. Good enough for me, Wenger knows a million times more than I do about coaching a team and also knows the true facts. All we have are lies, speculation and gossip.

So Schalke’s manager did a Rodgers. Here’s hoping in the summer JD remembers who wanted him.

So Michael Owen won’t pay to pee but he expects football clubs to pay fortunes in wages/ transfer fees. Makes sense.

I’ve always thought Ormsteins tweets have an anti Arsensl slant. But that’s probably me being sensitive :)

91. fatgingergooner says:

GiE,

Michael Owen is a muppet. He seems to think Liverpool can win the PL but Arsenal aren’t good enough!

I actually agree with Kelsey in that IF we signed Kallstrom knowing he was injured then it doesn’t look good. However, I will wait to see what the club and Arsene say about the injury before being unhappy! :)

92. 26may1989 says:

Small point of info re when Kallstrom last played: the Swedish press say November, ESPN.com says 8 December against Rostov.

Am not a huge rugby fan but the France v England game is enjoyable. 19-21 with ten minutes left.

93. Thanks for the transfer window roundup Ginge, for me it was a tad underwhelming and the fact that our injury cover signing is now injured has to be great for all fans of irony.

However today has brought us much rolfing with Davey “Gollum” Moist’s season plunging to new depths.

Plus our secret agent Gooner Sherwood has dropped another two points after having his teams pants dropped and then been bog washed by the Northern Oilers in their previous League game.

So the cutch dunt van Judas front bottom thought that with him and shrek bothering to turn up now that their saviour (the Juan) they would get 3 points against the Orcs ?

Wrong, you worthless pile of distended rectum.

Enjoy Europa next season you scummy f***tard.

Remember it was a loan deal which is about 16 weeks and if he is out now for at least 4/6 weeks it was to say politely, a total cock up and someone should be held responsible

95. Chary,

Funnily enough what this window has highlighted. especially after today’s results, is that all that matters is what happens on the field.

Trust Spurs and United to brighten our day!

Win tomorrow and top of the PL with a 10 point gap to 5th. That’s good news for every Arsenal fan, no matter where they think we will finish! :)

96. byron says:

26may 1989

Doesn’t say much about Wenger or yourself if Wenger knows a million times more about footbsll than you.

97. 26may1989 says:

So Chary, you think United will make it to the Europa League? I’m sure RvP will be delighted to have your confidence….. :)

Personally, I think United will come back strongly next season, after a major summer rebuild. 6th at best this season I reckon.

98. byron says:

Typical Wengerite looking to consolidate 4th place rather than push for the title.

99. Charybdis1966 says:

No one can say I’m not a fair man 26, however much I hate the old toilet crew ha ha.

100. Charybdis1966 says:

True Ginge, the on field Rolfing is most important. 😃

101. JanMan says:

RA: Draxler was a guest on German sky sports this afternoon. His interview has been repeated on several other sports shows. First off he never ever mentioned the name of Arsenal or Wenger but what he did say was that a top club had made a bid for him and he was prepared to go to that club, however, Schalke’s general manager refused the deal and said that Draxler would remain at Schalke at least until the summer. Draxler also stated that he had to respect and accept the decision of Schalke football club. The skysports presenter mentioned the name Arsenal football club several times in an attempt to make Draxler acknowledge the club, all Draxler did was make a very sheepish grin and say no comment. This shows once again, and as I mentioned earlier, we are at the mercy of the press as far as so called story reporting goes but this was direct from the mouth of Draxler himself so there is no way Wenger or AFC can be held responsible for the deal not going through. I am sure if you search hard enough there is a link to the TV interview. I will also search and see if I can find something. It was German sky sports one, at around 1515 this afternoon.

I believe we still have first refusal on Draxler in the Summer, but I maybe wrong.

103. JanMan says:

I am still looking for a video link to the actual interview but the below link is from the Handelsblatt newspaper. Of course it is in German but I did a rough Google translation for you.

Gelsenkirchen (SID) – Julian Draxler of Bundesliga club Schalke 04 has confirmed that there has been during the winter break several offers for him. “It was so that there were actually offers for me this winter. Fact is that Horst Heldt had queries on the table. I am pleased with the inquiries. On the other hand it shows the esteem in which I enjoy in this club, if these requests were rejected by Horst Heldt without I am asked ” Draxler who is currently injured said on Sky before the match against VfL Wolfsburg.

Kelsey. I believe you are correct that we have first offer on him in the summer but at what price?

104. evonnee says:

barca lost to Valencia at home, ha ha ha.

105. JanMan says:

This article also refers to the fact that Schalke did receive concrete bids from “other clubs” but were rejected , it also refers to the interview Draxler gave on German Sky.
    The video clip from Draxler’s interview is on sky’s homepage but it is user login only for pay for view customers of Sky Germany.

106. arnie says:

Chary: Moist will be very lucky to achieve Thursday night football. Not looking likely at the moment. :D :D

Speechless about the Maelstrom saga. Sorry. :sad:

It’s great having someone with first hand knowledge of all things German.

If I was the Schalke manager I would be pleased as punch with all the media attention that has been created about their most valuable asset.

I also guess that he decided to wait until the summer to sell in the hope that City, the chavs or PSG enter the fray with their far bigger cheque books.

I predict that the deal does not get completed, if at all with Arsenal, until almost the end of the window, for the same reason as I say above that the owner of Schalke will be happy to wait.

Price wise this can work against Schalke. If neither of the three clubs mentioned above show any interest Arsenal will know that they are in the driving seat and will make a much lower offer, this will be another reason why the owner will wait and only agree a deal when he has no other choice which will be just before the window closes.

As for Arsenal having first refusal…………..there is no such thing.

If any of the three clubs I mentioned above show any interest Arsenal will pull out because we know we cannot compete financially with them so better to make a dignified retreat early on.

Wenger likes positive players around the squad….I mean he kept Eboue on long enough.

I fancy Pod will be staying :

Doesn’t strike me as a self publicist either (unless JanMan has evidence to the contrary

110. fatgingergooner says:

I think Podolski will stay. Wenger likes players who are versatile and can cover at least one position. Also, as GiE said, he seems to be a positive player in the dressing room.

I would like to see him given more time on the pitch, but at least we know he is fresh for the difficult periods coming up. I think he will start tomorrow and we will see a lot more of him in the next couple of months.

He’s the best finisher at the club, but his assists column from last year indicates he’s more than just a poacher.

112. arnie says:

Chas, FGG: I hope you guys are right about Poldi. I will be sad to see him go. :D :D :D

Agree FGG, we can’t play him constantly because we need him if Giroud needs a rest to lead the line.

Think he is actually upping the defensive side of the game and I don’t think we’ve seen best of him yet, as you say he is more than a finisher, islf that’s all he was I would question how he has so many international caps for Germany, especially considering Klose played during a large part of that spell.

The Germany team play a very similar football to Arsenal, Muller and Pod scoring goals from outlet wide ably assisted by our Wizard of Oz. The first goal against Coventry was about two players knowing what each other wanted, not sure Ozil even had to think about whether Pod would be there he just knew he would be.

114. arnie says:

GiE: very nice comments. agree 100%. :D :D

Too much agreement!

Match Day. Oh yes :-)

Liking the word “allegedly” added before and around quotes via Twitter. Always wonder whether the Twitteree was 11 yr old Steve from Halifax :-)

Talking of Twitter, off to track down our Hero Beijing :-)

Either I’ve broken me Twitter, or he’s pretty much stopped :-(

Good win needed today ahead of the Pool and Utd games. Can’t wait. What time KO?

I haven’t listened to this but it sounds fun!

4pm kick off, nobby.

Tim sounds exactly as I imagined!!!!!!!!!

125. That’s because there’s so many middle to upper class folk on here, Gooner In Exile, who hang on Arsene Wenger’s every word, and refuse to hear even the slightest bit of criticism where he’s concerned, even when he spends the club’s money on crocks. As I’ve said in the past, some on here would watch him brutally rape a woman and blame the woman for being too provocative. He gets away with levels of incompetence that you wouldn’t accept in any other area of your life.
    It won’t take long for the first half of the seasons goodwill to dissipate and The Emirates to turn toxic if results start going against us, particularly with the failure to competently strengthen in certain areas. It’s not like we’ve made a statement of intent to our rivals.
    Charlie Nicholas and Paul Merson’s reaction to the unbelievable news of Kim Kallstrom being injured before Arsene Wenger agreed to take him on loan probably summed up the feelings of thousand’s of Arsenal fans.
    Is it money-laundering, or has the manager set up his own personal charity using the club’s money?

127. So City have had help to stick to the rules!!

Right, I’m off.
    I thought the morning on here was at least guaranteed to be a wanker-free zone.
    Judging people’s class and suggesting some would justify rape; utterly appalling.

129. Oops I see chas got there before me :oops:

Morning all

Chas

I tried touching many of the buttons on your Tim (who?) link, but not good results. Perhaps only Level 1 Complicated links from now on. You know the sort: waves, mucic, vids ‘n clips with a big button saying “PLAY” :-)

Yikes. Seriously WATA. That’s sick.

132. Oh dear WATA what happened to the guy that was feeling positive last week?

Anyone else think that The Ox will play alongside Arteta today?

Hi Peaches

What a pleasant surprise having you so early in the morning.

Ox? Mmm, maybe, although not sure who’s up for selection. Is Rosicky a starter/

Given we’re home against Palace I’d go:

…Rosicky Arteta

Ozil Santi Pod

……..Ollie

135. Morning Micky

I’m reading on my phone still under the duvet, about the only time I get to think about the team :lol:

Rosicky could do that job but I think we need him to be more attacking. I feel we need to know we can control the mid-field in the big games coming up.

I’d seriously consider Nic for as much of the game as possible. He’s one player we need to keep in full working order.

137. You don’t think Gnabry will start?

138. Nik on the left then, no Pod aha

139. That was a joke btw ;)

Peaches

I do think Gnabry will start, yes, but only because I don’t think Pod will. Hence me switching Mesut over there.

That line up is my wishful thinking, whereas I reckon AW will be more like you ie lying beneath his duvet scribbling his team sheet: Ox, Art, Gnabry Sant Mesut Ollie.

Ooops

Play Nic because Ollie needs protecting. Ha ha, just made Nic our most valuable player :-)

142. It’s an analogy for how much people are willing to forgive levels of incompetence.
    And I’m not judging people’s class, the point I’m making is that some Arsenal fans on here aren’t hungry enough for the club to have real success and will happily settle for a top four finish. I know you read ‘Le Grove’, my criticisms are quite conservative compared to what some posters on there think.But you’re one of those who throws out the odd bit of sarcasm instead of intelligently debating, comfortable that Arsenal are almost nine years without any meaningful success. At least I’m not scared to voice concerns shared by a large percentage of Arsenal fans instead of meekly accepting the status quo. What is it they say, if you’re not part of the cure, you’re part of the disease. I presume from your personal outrage you’d rather all Arsenal fans were sanitised and brain-washed into not having any opinion that questions the direction of the club. I wonder how many of those that used to go to Highbury that are now frozen out of The Emirates would agree with you.
    It’s not me using language from the gutter.

143. I agree with your wish combo. It would be good if AW could think about making changes earlier, give Pod more than 10 minutes.

144. Big question for me is if The Ox can be disciplined enough to do a job, and be mature enough to understand what’s required of him. Not sure AW does that kind of coaching ……. more the free spirit approach.

145. Bendtner our most valued player ……. he’d like that :)

146. Love the fact that Santi is causing so much havoc in front of goal now, when the stadium sings his name it’s a great feeling.

147. Micky, obviously it wasn’t meant literally, I assumed people would get that, clearly not. It certainly wasn’t meant to offend anyone, I was attempting to show the lengths some people’s forgiveness will stretch to. I think the club are in a comfort zone where they take the fan-base for granted, and they’re absolutely terrified of going the extra mile to actually win anything of significance, but conversely they’re terrified of change, because Arsene Wenger makes lots of money.
    Hi Peaches, I’m so sorry, I didn’t mean to appear insensitive, maybe I should have used a better example, it didn’t seem so shocking as I was typing it out.
    Last week I never imagined we’d bring in an injured player who isn’t really needed, in on loan. What purpose does it serve, it can’t be for the fans, surely?

148. WATA – AW has brought some fantastic players to our club, we have watched jaw droppingly wonderful football, we haven’t won anything for a few years but that doesn’t make him incompetent ……… It’s football, he doesn’t have control over everything that happens on the pitch.

Sometimes we’re lucky and sometimes the other team are lucky. This team are very good, they may be successful this year or they may not a lot of that is down to chance. We have to hope we can hang on to where we are until the injured players return.

149. WATA – I think the Flamini red card caused panic as there’s no cover what with both Jack and Rambo injured.

150. I agree that the club take the fan base for granted but I think that’s the case at all big clubs now.

Manure had their shiny new toy on show yesterday and judas scored and Rooney was playing and they still lost. I bet there are a lot of unhappy supporters there.

Spuds spent £100m in the summer and are not even challenging.

The Chav supporters know that Jose is going to park the bus tomorrow night so that they don’t get a spanking, how boring is that?

WATA

I happen to think we are doing well and going very much in the right direction. Win today, and we’re top of the league. Not too bad.

Bottom line is, I simply enjoy being an Arsenal Fan. Did in the 80’s when we were rubbish and the football terrible.

I know this is old stuff, but I was thinking how George Graham stunned everyone by picking O’Leary to play in front of the Back Four at Anfield ’89.

Many times we’ve wondered about Verm there when there’s a defensive midfield crisis. Given how Sagna performs at CB, how about him in there against the likes of Palace.

No, bad idea :-(

154. So I think it’ll be

…….art …..Ox

Gnabry …….. Mesut…….Santi

……..Olly

All three can switch positions and as long as Ox finds one of them it’ll be beautiful :)

155. 26may1989 says:

WATA

There are two different points: your use of a rape analogy is gratuitous; it sounds like no-one close to you has been affected by rape, else you wouldn’t use it to make a debating point about football. For your sake, I’ll put that to one side and comment on your strange attack on other Arsenal fans, because I assume you don’t really mean to trivialise something as serious as rape.

As for your points, it’s a very well-worn debate. Some Arsenal fans think of no trophy since 2005, low spending levels and high ticket prices, and slate Wenger, the club, Kroenke and Gazidis. Others point to the stadium financing and construction as the reason for low spending, there being no meaningful budget for transfer fees or additional wages until about 18 months ago. They point to the arrival in that very period of the Oilers, who changed everything about the dynamics in the PL. And they point to Wenger’s Arsenal staying near enough to the top to stay in the CL places, though our ability to challenge for the top spots has been limited to decent but ultimately unsuccessful challenges for the title in 2006, 2008 and 2010, plus a couple of League Cup Final defeats.

You obviously put yourself in the first camp. Fair enough. But not everyone sees it your way. I make no apology for trusting a manager who, when judged in context (and to me, that is the crucial factor), has done a better job than I think any other manager could have done. Where you see failure, I see an astonishing ability to out-perform all the clubs in our division in terms of results on the pitch per pound spent. Am I disappointed that we’ve had fallow years? Of course I am. Do I think we could have done better in the years since 2005? Yes, there have been a few things where we could have done better, even with our financial hands tied behind our backs.

To me, it’s all about context. But the context has now moved on. In the last 18 months or so, we have emerged (or begun emerging) from the years of no money. That was shown in the Ozil signing. So I will be judging Wenger and the club in different terms in the coming years, and my expectations will be higher. But I will always look at what has been achieved in the last years as being nothing short of stunning; had we not had Wenger, and I wouldn’t have blamed him if he’d decided he couldn’t stick around for the no-money years, I am pretty sure we would be starting this new phase from a far lower point than we are, meaning it would take many more years to get back to where we all want to be.

On ticket prices, as someone who started on the North Bank in the late 70s, and whose passion for the game was cultivated by being able to follow my team at home and away by ticket prices that were affordable to a teenager working paper rounds and in fruit and veg shops, I am very worried about what’s happening in football today. All English clubs are pricing tickets way too high, and that will have a negative impact in the long run. We need to find a solution to that. But you should remember, when you call for the club to sign this player or that one and bugger the money, that most of our money goes straight into the pockets of players. Their desire for six-figure sums per week is what drives up ticket prices. So in calling for the club to be “ambitious” many critics, like the BSM, are actually fuelling the fire of ever-increasing ticket prices.

Anyway, I hope you realise that no-one on this blog is as dismissive as you suggest. Just because some (and that certainly includes me) don’t agree with you, doesn’t mean different opinions aren’t treated with respect. That’s precisely one of the features of this blog that many of us value. Plus Chas’s twitter and youtube research…..

156. I thought about that too but I think if it was ever going to work we’d have seen it before don’t you think?

Yip Peaches
    AW may well go with that. Poor old Lucas :-(

158. 26may1989 says:

Micky, I love the idea of Vermaelen at DM today. I’m sure it won’t happen but this could be the perfect day for trying out what many have suggested.

159. Peaches – with respect, he’s one of the highest paid managers in world football. Occasionally we are treated to jaw-droppingly wonderful football, but often it has been slow, one-dimensional, and lacks an end product.
    i agree he has brought some fantastic players to our club, but I would estimate that for all the millions he’s spent over the years, only about one in four of his purchases have worked in the clubs favour. We have a raft of players out on loan who will in all probability never make it at the club, and big earners that make no contribution at all. For the salary that he commands I think it would be wrong to quantify that as an overall success.
    If he was under pressure to actually win something, as would be the case at most major clubs, he wouldn’t be getting a bumper new three year contract, he’d more than likely be given 12 months to prove he still has what it takes to deliver major silver-ware.
    The problem at Arsenal is whether he is right or wrong, no-one dare question his methods, and that is not healthy for the club or its fan-base.

160. Maybe we sneak Poldi on without taking anyone off :)

161. fatgingergooner says:

It amazes me that some choose to cling on to anything negative about the manager and the club even when we are doing well. They have made as many mistakes as any other club or manager in the last 16 years, but they’ve also made a lot more correct decisions than most. That’s why they get my vote.

Who cares if we go top of the league today, remember when we bought Andre Santos? What a joke!

It’s like choosing to stare at an old coffee stain on your carpet whilst your family has a party in the next room.

Anyway, moving on to more important matters, my team today would be:-

Szscesny
    Sagna Merts Kos Gibbs
    Arteta Ox Rosicky
    Cazorla Özil Podolski
    Giroud

The only change I would make is Podolski for Gnabry if AW wants to keep Cazorla on the left, who has been our best attacking player recently. I think AW’s reluctance to alter Cazorla’s position due to his form is one of the main factors in Podolski not playing as much as we’d hoped at the moment. Understandable really.

Going to be tough to break these down today, but if we stay focused at the back then a couple of 2nd half goals could win it. 2-0 to the Arsenal.

26 May. 8.02 IMO that is one of the best comments I have read on AA. Would have made a fine post. Well played.

Haven’t started the PM thanks to a day and night of excess. If it is late can I apologise on behalf of myself and all the people of Scandinavia.

Micky. I have been thinking about TV playing DM – makes sense to me

I knew someone like 26 would eventually appear and do the job properly.

Where I agree with WATA and 26, is on pricing fans out. I’m certainly in the camp that would love to see standing areas behind goals. Twice as many people per sq ft, at half the price = same revenue. Or similar :-)

Let’s start a Campaign called 2XSQFT, for the benefit of all fans everywhere.

165. Fgg agrees we should sneak Poldi on as an extra man :lol:

166. Right, I have to get up, catch you all downstairs, who wants coffee?

167. fatgingergooner says:

We often play against 12 men Peaches so why not even it up! :)

Just getting writing Raddy. This minute.

You seriously need to look long and hard at your lifestyle and the impact it has on those around you.

Morning 26

Please keep hold of that comment, sadly you know we are going to need it again in the not too distant future.

Managers who “that sort” called for to replace Wenger: Moyes and AVB.

They know it’s true. The thinking was called “ambition” :-)

Peaches
    Rather stay under the duvet, if that’s ok. Will you be back up?

172. fatgingergooner says:

Seeing as people want to bring up the same argument over and over again, maybe we could just keep re-posting 26’s comment as a standard response!? :)

173. 26may1989 says:

2XSQFT, I’m in.

Peaches, mine’s a strong, black Colombian. Coffee that is…..

174. evonnee says:

what are you doing Peaches, blogging the morning away!! You are supposed to be looking for a house for me!!

To make it an Arsenal related comment I will tell you how I was viewing a house and noticed the woman covering an Arsenal crest – she wasn’t sure we’d approve their support for the AFC :) rubbish house but I almost made an offer because of the fab pictures of Highbury in the study

175. fatgingergooner says:

Micky,

Hoping to be top of the league with one of those 2 in charge is showing too much ambition if you ask me! :)

176. evonnee says:

2XSQFT, me too

The 8:02 from 26 is the reason you should never argue with a lawyer, just pay him to do the job well.

Hurry up Raddy, you don’t want to ruin my day!!

177. fatgingergooner says:

Any chance we can get another troll on this site?

This ones rubbish.

178. 26may1989 says:

My prediction for our line-up:

Szczesny
    Sagna, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Gibbs
    Arteta, Rosicky
    Oxlade-Chamberlain, Ozil, Cazorla
    Giroud

Subs: Fabianski, Podolski, Monreal, Bendtner, Vermaelen, Zelalem, Gnabry

OK, off now, catch up with you lot later.

Morning all ….. If you are off to the game today you get a chance to meet old tree trunks legs himself.

180. evonnee says:

ginga :) I was thinking the same, we could do with a Bejing troll, he is hilarious

181. fatgingergooner says:

This would be my revised team if sneaking the 12th man on becomes a problem!

Szscesny
    Sagna Merts Kos Gibbs
    Arteta Rosicky
    Cazorla Özil Pod
    Giroud

But again could see Gnabry and/or Ox in this line up and wouldn’t be a problem.

182. fatgingergooner says:

Evonne ,

Would love that. Or the American Soccer guy who is an absolute genius!

You know your life’s not worth living when you get sacked from being a troll! :)

183. evonnee says:

not as if he had a life before, sad bastard

184. evonnee says:

I wanted Wenger to play a ‘weakened’/younger team against Southampton. That will learn me not to take about formations

185. 26May

Why would Arsene Wenger leave when we’re the biggest club he’s ever managed? Why leave the comfort-zone of Arsenal where he has all the power he could ever want, whereas at any other major club he would be challenged and put under intense scrutiny?
    How long would he be allowed to go trophy-less at Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, or even MU? A year, two if he was extremely lucky. At Arsenal he can go on winning nothing for as long as he likes because he knows with all the resources at his disposal he can’t fail to get top four. And even with a £50m higher wage-bill than Tottenham last year he took it to the wire.
    You talk as if Arsenal were some sort of third-world development, where the coffers were completely empty, but every year since the move to The Emirates he has had money to spend, and has bought players in. The quality of those players and their contribution to the club is down to personal opinion, and whilst I don’t want to get into a to-and-fro debate about money we have or haven’t had, our wage-bill under Arsene Wenger has always been in the top four of the Premier League, so what you see as a remarkable achievement I see as the very least he should have been doing. He’s never delivered in Europe and he hasn’t been a winner of any sort for a long time, and let’s be honest, we are one of the biggest clubs in the world, so it’s a little embarrassing that we don’t have at least one European Cup to our name, and that Tottenham have out-performed us on the continent. But the club isn’t driven by the desire to be the best, and if you don’t want it enough you won’t get it.

186. fatgingergooner says:

I’m off to get ready for 12 hours at work!

Enjoy the game everyone.

187. Kelsey – if you’re up and about, just checking you’re going to write the post for tomorrow. Match report, player ratings or feelings we don’t mind which.

We’re going to need posts for next week for Tuesday and Wednesday if anyone wants to offer something.

Peaches

Kelsey has already written it.
    I’ll come up with something for tues/weds. Now there’s a threat you can’t refuse :-)

189. dandan says:

26 Thank you for your well timed and intelligent rebuttal of the odious post by WATA. Leaving aside the unthinking Rape Issue.It is interesting to me that he should even think that class was factor in the decision making processes of the regulars on here. We are first and foremost Arsenal fans or we would not be here.
    The main difference as I see it is, that us older fans have lived through many phases of the Arsenal journey and can therefore put into perspective the wonderful performance that Arsene has orchestrated as laid down by your good self.
    To some the winning of trophy’s is all that matters, whereas to me and my ilk it is the pleasure and lifelong interest the club has provided that is of far more value. Of course we want to win but more we want our club performing at the highest level and providing the leadership and class that other clubs, including the nouveau riche
    so sadly lack.
    Would I swap Arsene for Maureen and a few tin pots, not on your Nellie. Remember class has to be protected and permeates down from the top, Arsene is class and we are more than lucky to have him.

Where do I send the match report as I don’t have access to drafts.
    Do you want it now or tomorrow, only thing missing is the headline.

I believe Vermaelen is injured.

A very good comment 26th.

I must say this KK loan signing is totally illogical to me,but hey ho.

Kelsey

“Do you want my match report, for the game this afternoon, now?”

Genius ROLF

Why does everyone continue to make their head sore?

FGG we have two trolls one just uses longer paragraphs but they are both equally boring.

This one from FGG is also very funny:
    “Any chance we can get another troll on this site? This ones rubbish.” :-)

I just got my biggest ROLF of the day…..Tottenham have out performed us on the continent. Fucking joke!

dandan

Good comment, but…I’m no spring chicken, however your wise view is not only held by what you called “older fans”.

I’ve been sucking Wurthers Originals since I was about 18 as well, you know :-)

196. fatgingergooner says:

Just seen that none of the Palace signings are available apart from Hennessey and Puncheon (who was already there on loan).

They are not conceding goals at the moment but Gabbidon is out which could be key.

Should be a good game.

197. dandan says:

Micky it wasn’t meant to suggest that it was, only that we have been there before and it has coloured our thinking.

You’re guilty too, then Exile, as you are clearly reading them, and worse, getting cross :-)

199. Sorry Dandan, but I’ve always been respectful towards you, and I’ve been supporting Arsenal since the late 1960’s, so have experienced many barren years where Arsenal have failed to utilise their status and power over lesser clubs, particularly the latter years of Bertie Mee and the ten years of Terry Neill and Don Howe.
    The tradition and class that Arsenal acquired was put there by Henry Norris and Herbert Chapman, but in accordance with your line we shouldn’t have had either of them anywhere near the club.
    Norris bought Arsenal’s place in the old First Division at the expense of Tottenham in 1920, but if we’d have kept everything strictly legit, there’d have been no First Division, probably no Chapman, and no Marble Halls, so how righteous do you expect the club to be? Or do you think it perfectly acceptable that we originally cheated our way to the top?

dandan

I don’t think I’ve ever disagreed with a word you have ever said. Disappointed you got back on the boat when in the Cape Verde Islands, but that’s about it.

201. Just for you, Gooner In Exile.
    Arsenal – UEFA Fairs Cup winners, 1970
    Cup Winners Cup winners, 1994.
    Tottenham – Cup Winners Cup winners, 1963
    UEFA Cup winners, 1972 and 1984.
    Tottenham have three, Arsenal have two. I’d say that qualifies as out-performing. Years of playing CL Football and only reaching one final doesn’t count as a trophy.

WATA

I wonder how many Spurs fans would swap one UEFA Cup, for all our years of game upon game against the likes of Barca, Madrid and Bayern, while they play Cork Rovers.

Bloody Raddy and his drinking. Got to go know.

Still, something to look forward to.

204. fatgingergooner says:

The beloved shiny trophy.

The yardstick to which all of life’s achievements are measured!!!

My precious……

205. They probably would Micky, but ultimately it didn’t do us much good.
    The year they did play in CL they went further than we did.
    What was different about the semi-final at The Emirates in 2009 and last years home game against Bayern Munich? Yes, we had a great 2nd leg in Germany, but as has been the way of Arsenal in recent years, they came up short.

Looks like common sense might prevail and KK will be sent back to Spartk Moscow. In the immortal words of Noel edmonds “deal or no deal”

207. fatgingergooner says:

Jonathan Greenings got a Champions League winners medal.

What a guy.

208. No FGG, it is only the yardstick by which any major football club is measured.

209. So has Thierry Henry, but he had to leave Arsenal to get it.

210. fatgingergooner says:

Haven’t Nottingham Forest and Leeds United got history in Europe?

Wish we were as big as them.

211. We have a New Post ……………….

212. I wish we had Forest’s pedigree in Europe.
    As for Leeds, you can thank Peter Ridsdale and Arsenal legend David O’Leary for their fall from grace.

WATA

How are you ? I have put this on this post as I don’t want to spoil the thoughts on today’s game on Raddy’s new post.

I know your views and they never waiver but I ask you if you theoretically were in charge what would you do now to make Arsenal live upto your expectations.

214. Hi Kelsey

I e-mailed you a couple of times but got no reply.
    I’m okay thanks, just annoyed that some people can be so rude and aggressive over discussing one’s football team. There truly are some horrible, ignorant individuals who don’t want their cosy opinions challenged, and because I don’t happen to agree with some of them big bully GIE calls me a ‘boring troll’. What, because I want them to do better than he wants them to do? And I was a bit put out by Dandan’s intervention as well. No individual is bigger than the club, and Arsene Wenger didn’t grow up supporting Arsenal as we have done. He is paid very handsomely for his passion, ours is a very spiritual thing that comes direct from the heart, and some would do well to remember that.
    Theoretically, I’d give Arsene Wenger another year to see if he can rediscover that which made him so successful during his early years. If he did, then I’d have no problem keeping him on.
    I think Patrick Vieira was a big loss, and one of the character flaws in the side since he left has been a lack of steel, and a lack of collective urgency. Too many passes and not enough direct shooting, which has been our undoing when we come up against the better sides. I also think we’ve gone into certain games with a very visible inferiority complex, and the longer we go on without beating Chelsea or the two Manchester’s, the more of an issue it becomes.
    If those issues are addressed and Arsene Wenger makes us real contenders again at home and in Europe, then he deserves a new contract..If it’s gone and he can’t rediscover his magic formula, he doesn’t. There aren’t many big clubs that are as patient as Arsenal.

215. I think I’ve allowed too much of Durham’s ‘Daily Arsenal’ to corrode my thoughts!

216. evonnee says:

WATA – no, no, it was Byron that was called a boring troll!! His comment was promptly removed so you can no longer see it, but it was not about you!!!

217. Evonne, he made reference to ‘two boring trolls..’