Nowt so queer as this season

At last Arsenal have fully recovered from the disastrous defeat on the opening day of the season at the hands of the twelve men of Aston Villa + Taylor. It has taken 22 games for Arsenal to have achieved the same number of points from exactly the same fixtures as last season (for the sake of symmetry I am setting off this years promoted teams against the results for last years relegated teams).

“How can this be?” I hear you cry – we are 17 (yes seventeen) points better than our total for 22 games last season and our Beloved Leader has said few if any teams have had more than 51 points at this stage of the season. This achievement is further underlined by the MotD pundits citing that in the Invincible season Arsenal had only one point more at this stage.

The truth is that the fixtures we have, and in which we have done so well that we lead the league, are all fixtures in which we did comparably well last season.

This means that for our same remaining 16 games we only got 23 points out of the 48 available in the same fixtures last season. We must therefore have realistic hopes of getting significantly more than our 73 point tally last year.

Let’s first look at the media pundits clamour that we have to beat the top teams to establish our credentials for a real title challenge. In fact this is a difficult area because the games against Chelsea, Liverpool, Everton and Spurs are all away and only the Manchester double of City and United have to come to The Home of Football.

2012/13 results against top six teams: Won 6 Draw 5 Lost 5

The good news is that for these outstanding six games, last season produced only one win and two draws for Arsenal. It is not at all unreasonable to suggest that we can get two extra wins and a draw from say Spurs (A), Man U (H), and Everton (A) which would give us six more points.

What of the remaining ten teams we have still to play none of whom are likely to be challenging even for fourth place? Indeed most look likely to be in the relegation dog fight. Last season our results here were five won three draws and two defeats and this amounted to only 18 points from the 30 available. It is not over optimistic to see the new efficient Arsenal with an excellent mean defence turning this into an outturn of 8 wins, 1 draw and 1 defeat which would give an extra 7 points. Certainly against these teams so far this season we have suffered only one notorious defeat and one draw so I am only asking we stay consistent.

The mathematically astute among you will notice that I am suggesting we garner 13 points more than our poorer results last season and this would take us from the 73 points that delivered fourth place to the 86 points which are talked of as a probable title winning total this curious season.

Whilst I have the mathematicians attention we have amassed points to date at the rate of 2.318 per game and the further 35 points I am positing would only be at 2.187 per game.

One final ray of hope in comparing this season to the last one. We finish strongly. Last season we only dropped 9 points from the 48 available in the last 16 games which included only one defeat. Even if, as may be the case, we have a slightly harder run-in this season I am still allowing 13 points to slip away from us in reaching a potentially title winning tally.

So ignore media & pundits, Keep the faith and COYG.

Chris H

This post was submitted before the Southampton game and therefore it’s acknowledged that we aren’t TOTL at the moment.

249 Responses to Nowt so queer as this season

Well done on your maiden post Chris, however one can’t assume anything this season more than any other recent season as there have been some strange results .

The problem as I and others have mentioned before is that a mammoth task starting in 10 days when we play the big boys literally one after the other with the small matter of Bayern twice and Liverpool in the FA Cup with a squad which has more key injuries than at any other time this season.
    Yes we can beat anyone on their day but it’s a tremendous ask IMO.

Rasp, Draxler saw the German National doctor yesterday to see if he could start light training .it is a leg/ankle injury.

Wow, great stuff Chris, thank you.

Crikey, tin hats on. The numbers boys will be sharpening their pencils and stroking their beards as we speak :-)

Can I throw one more variable into the mix. Timing. What I mean is that sometimes one big win at the right time can galvanize and thrust a team onto a “run”. I’m thinking of Munich away last term.

I think Pool away could be a similar moment.

Right, off out for the day :-)

3. fatgingergooner says:

Even if we did finish on 86 points, I still fear it would not be enough to win the league. City are favourites and rightly so, whilst Chelsea could also amass a big total.

We definitely have a chance to win the PL, but the fact I still look at the results of Liverpool, Spurs, United and Everton every week tells me that a) I’m far too pessimistic, and b) we are still not guaranteed top 4.

In order for us to win the PL we need players fit for long periods of time, we need easier cup draws than Bayern and Liverpool at home (if we stay in them), and most importantly we need the kind of luck that City got last night with a poor penalty decision and a red card (how many pens should we have had this season!?).

I can’t help but imagine the landscape without City or Chelsea. We would be at least 8 points clear (factoring in the dropped points against weaker Chelsea and City) and absolutely dominating the PL right now, as was the plan when we decided to build a new stadium nearly 10 years ago. Oh well, this season could well yet prove to be the one that sets us up for a more fruitful next decade.

Oh, and one last thought.

You say there is “Nowt so queer as this season”….well, mmm, I think there are queerer things than this season actually. I mean, look around this site. The likes of Kelsey and Raddy for example. Not exactly normal.

Right, now off very quickly indeed :-)

5. Norfolk Gooner says:

‘morning AAers, I haven’t read the post yet but wanted to thank DanDan for the link to the insurance company, yesterday. I shall bear it in mind for the next trip….if there is a next trip!. :D

Off to read the post now.

By the way could someone in authority let me know the meaning of GIE’Sswingometer.

Chris. Fine first post.

Impossible to project our final points total.

Injuries will be a major factor. I firmly believe that had Theo stayed fit we would win the title, without him, not so sure.

Ramsey’s absence is also worrying.

kelsey. 10.11 No.

8. evonnee says:

micky @10:04, honestly

Very good post Chris, thank you.
    Football is a ridiculous business altogether, did you know that once upon a time Shitty scored more goals than the league winners and yet they were relegated? Ok, it was even before my time, but still

Keep writing CH, looking forward your next

9. TwentyTwelve says:

Nice post ChrisH. Arsenal certainly have a chance to better their season point totals. Can’t do worse than how the team did against the equivalent City, Chelsea, Spurs, Swansea fixtures last season ;) I would like to say ManU is weaker this year, as well. We’ll see…

However, as others have pointed out, the difficult fixtures are piling up, leaving key players little time to rest. And what’s worse, City are in terrific form. 86 might not be enough, when City is on track to get 89! :(

Thanks Chris, an excellent debut post sprinkled with a light dusting of optimism :P

I agree with FGG, I cannot see any further than city for the title and I expect them to remain top for the rest of the season.

I also agree with Raddy that the loss of Walcott was a hammer blow – he gave us an extra dimension in attack and prevented the opposition from being too gung ho. He was top of the assists and goals scored this season in relation to the number of games played, a big loss and without him I don’t think we can win the league.

Also, we shouldn’t be comparing our points total with last season, that is not relevant. It is the points accrued by those around us and the fixtures yet to come that are salient as everyone has said. If we come through our 2 ‘death clusters’ still in contention for the title we will have done brilliantly well. I think 2nd or 3rd this season will be a fantastic achievement although like FFG, I think we may be battling for 4th again.

Whatever happens it has been a fantastic season so far.

Agreed Raddy, for the first time we’ve been able to compete with the sugar daddy teams – a fantastic achievement, and we’ll be stronger next year.

I think the Draxler deal may get done this window but maybe he won’t join us until the summer (which makes sense) and he will give us a midfield to rival the best.

14. arnie says:

Thats a cracking debut, Chris! Great stuff. Thank you. :D :D :D The “mathematically astute” and “mathematicians attention”. Erm, that would be Redders!!!! :razz:

Yes, agreed Raddy, impossible to predict precisely. And as Chris says: COYG. Brilliant!!!! :D :D

FGG: Love your cautious optimism. :razz:

Raddy: “Whatever happens it has been a fantastic season so far”. :D :D :D Makes my day!!!!!

15. arnie says:

Micky, from the motning banter: I am not yet lost driving in snow and ice. Not yet. :D But an average 3 hours of shouting every day (occupational hazard!), and usually an early start as well (regulars would probably have realised I am a night bird rather than an early starter), is taking its toll.

And just when I was gearing up, in tow with some sharp exchanges of opinion on AA, along comes the S’ton game and takes the wind out of my (floppy?) sail. :sad:

A much anticipated ROLF moment from Shitty will be just the dope required. Even the most diehard Shitty fan must agree, some points have to be dropped somewhere! :razz:

Eevonne: Been away a bit. Just noticed. You seem to have collected an extra letter in your name. Nice. :razz:

Kelsey, Rasp: Loving the transfer bollix. Two days to go. Just enough to provide the right amount of additional dope. Vucinic loan done? Draxler probably done as well? :D :D :D

16. Raddy – if you’re still about, I missed your comment about going away so can you tell me which games I need to find an alternative pre-match post writer please.

chary has already put his name down for Palace so I’m supposing that’s one of them ;)

Hi arnie, when it comes to transfers you have to trust AW. Vucinic is 30 and has a career average of 1 goal every 3.15 games. His average with Juve is 1 goal every 3.4 games.

Bendtner’s Arsenal average is 1 goal every 4.4 games, so he would add to our firepower and a loan deal would seem the sensible option as Vucinic is not the ‘top quality’ we are focusing on.

I had to laugh, Vucinic’s height is 9ft 5in on wiki …. so everything else could be bollix as well :lol:

18. arnie says:

OK, from transfer bollix to some TT poll stuff. Not a happy sight. You have been warned! :D :D

Just to recap, after game 22, Arsenal fans’ tinted-glass odds were: Arsenal to win (73%), Shitty (20%) and Chavs (7%). There was a large amount of uncertainty as well. Of course, as predictions are replaced by results, such uncertainty will reduce.

What did game 23 offer? First, 2 points lost for Arsenal. Second, the spineless Spuds fall on their face yet again, and hand Shitty not only a win, but a large goal difference as well. Third, the ROLF of the week came from an unlikely quarter, the Chavs. A big thank you to West Ham.

Overall, a not so good week, which is reflected in the TT poll results. So, where do we stand now? Arsenal is still the Gooners’ favourite to win, with a chance of 53%, but Shitty is catching up (44%), and Chavs vear off the rails somewhat (3%).

What can game 24 offer? There is large uncertainty yet. Shitty and Chavs can take points off each other, and hence, if Arsenal manage to win against Palace, the odds increase to 66%. If Arsenal somehow manufacture the ROLF of the week (it can happen, you know! :sad: ), this will decrease to 28%, and Shitty will become the Arsenal fans’ favourite for the title.

Plenty to play for. And, as our headline post from Chris today says: COYG! COYRRG!!!!! :D :D :D

19. arnie says:

Rasp: The optimal amount of bollix in life is not zero!!!!! :D :D :D

I quite like bollix arnie – it’s the language I speak most of the time :D

21. arnie says:

I am in your club, Rasp. :D

22. Max Stirner says:

If we sign Vucinic I will explode.

Hi Max, this para from Vucinic’s wiki page may explain why we could be interested in him ….

“Vučinić can slot into any role up in attack, but is often deployed as a left or right winger, centre-forward or as a deep lying striker. He is revered for his creativity, dribbling, his footballing intelligence and the ability to score long range goals from both feet”

Mind you, scoring a long range goal from both feet must be some trick – you’d think he would fall over?

25. arnie says:

Rasp: What about a long range tackle with both feet? Gives you four games to recover!!!!!! :D

I think anyone who gets themselves banned for using both feet deserves a kick in the tackle :?

27. arnie says:

Just to liven up the day. :D

I wouldn’t agree that we have held our own against the so called other contenders.
    We failed to beat Everton and Chelsea at Home, got thrashed at City though it could have been 8-5 but where unlucky to lose to United due to so many of our players having a virus. The exception was Liverpool.
    Can we beat an in form Liverpool Away or Chelsea. I would say at the most 50-50. We can certainly beat United at Home, the big test would be City at Home or dare I say it Spurs away and Everton Away we need to be on top form.

Going back to Draxler. It appears we may land him but the questionis, is it to strengthen the team or replace someone.(rosicky)

With regards to the poll the other week it was claimed we would finish on 93 points only dropping 6 points until the end of the season (before Southampton) Was that really a realistic poll.

In all probability the league could still be won with a team losing 5 or 6 games this season.

29. arnie says:

ha ha ha, Rasp. Brilliant. :D :D :D

30. arnie says:

Kelsey: :D No, not a realistic poll, but an optimistic projection from an Arsenal point of view. Are you a betting man, Kelsey? :D :D

Yes I am, arnie, having won The Cambridgeshire two decades ago :)

32. fatgingergooner says:

It has been an outstanding season so far. 52 points from 23 games in a league as competitive as this one is a brilliant effort, espescially from a squad that should be struggling for top 4 (according to the pundits anyway)!

We have laid a very solid foundation for a squad that could go on and achieve special things, but we have been here many times before. The difference between this and previous squads is that there are no more excuses.

Yes, other teams have more money, but we now have the finances to buy players like Özil and Draxler on a regular basis, and with FFP having at least some effect on the mega rich, the only place we can fail now is on the field.

That is why these next few months are so important to this team. We have a fantastic opportunity to put our stamp on English football once again. I’m not saying we have to win the league, but we have to at least show that we are now on par with these sides and are a force to be taken seriously. A run of poor results would once again put us down as also-rans at the end of the season, and that could be detrimental to the psychology of this squad going forward.

After a decade of picking up scraps, we are finally on the verge of being at the top table once again. It’s time for these players to deliver, and more importantly, it’s time for them to realise that they can achieve anything they want to in the next 10 years, starting now.

33. arnie says:

Kelsey: Good. Fantastic. How do you decide whether to take a bet? As an Arsenal fan, you look at the odds offered on Betfair, or wherever. You think a particular odd does not reflect your Arsenal-tinted optimistic view, so you take a bet, right? At least, this is the way I would do this.

The poll reflects these optimistic views. No, they are not realistic, and this is how they are expected to be. The game results are uncertain, of course. TT and myself are trying to use these optimistic projections to calibrate the degree of uncertainty. :D

34. Chris H says:

Firstly thank you for the kind words with which many of you greeted my maiden post.

On points raised, we are once again regretting our unassailable position at the top of the Premier Injury League which seems to be where we always challenge and very often win. Keeping the top quality in our squad fit and playing, particularly for the big games, is an absolute must. Come on you backroom boys.

The other key area is the death cluster of games and the importance of vital individual games. For example the Liverpool away league game is absolutely critical.If we can win that one then hosting Man Ure and Bayern M will be so much easier particularly for the game against Moyes stuttering men.Putting yourself in Liverpool’s shoes how much then would you want to be travelling up to the Home of Football with all the negative baggage in your boot.

Lastly now is the time when we must play our part. Lose the fear, keep the faith and make sure the boys know and here we are totally behind them. COYG.

Good post, covering all angles FGG ;)

Even with FFP and I am still not sure what effect it will have you forget one major thing.

Many top class players, and of course guided by their agents, don’t know what loyalty is anymore and regardless who they play for ,money talks all languages.

We don’t know what really goes on behind the scenes but take the scenario and we finish top 3 and even win the FA Cup and a mega rich club comes along and offers to treble koscienly’s wages would you be sure he would stay.
    I am not being negative but being realistic. These things do happen.

Morning fellow desperadoes. :-)

Kelsey, I was a little concerned when you said you “wouldn’t agree that we have held our own against the so called other contenders”.

What people do when they hold their own is up to them, of course, but I am sure the ref would give anyone holding their own against players of other teams straight red cards, if the urge took them on the pitch. :-)

arnie, I never bet on anything to do with Arsenal anymore as it always go pear shaped and furthermore if one was a fanatical supporter one could argue that very often with a bet the heart rules the head . :)

FGG. I disagree (in the unlikely event that we don’t win the title!) – there are excuses.

The financial doping of MC Chelsea and MU gives them a massive advantage. Just look at the players CFC and MC have out on loan! And MU when worried just go out and spend €40m with more to come.

AFC cannot do that – or more realistically – will not do this.

Chelsea’s purchase of Mastic shows a total disregard for finance as does MC’s €600m spend over the past few years.

Whatever happens at season’s end we will once again be top of the non-financially doped league and that is a reason to be cheerful.

39. TwentyTwelve says:

Hi kelsey & arnie,

No doubt that poll reflected the, umm, strong optimism of AA’ers, at that point in time.

Arnie has digested the results into a percentage, and update that over time. I find it fascinating that, even through rose-tinted glasses, the percentages could move quite a bit.

This suggest to me that hiding in the results is some good information, which my initial analysis failed to reveal. My (figurative) hat off to arnie.

40. fatgingergooner says:

Chris,

Couldn’t agree more about the importance of getting on a run. Even the Palace game this weekend is vital as we head into this tough period. Palace have been getting results recently and conceding very few goals. We need to break them down early and get a morale boosting win.

I’m interested in people’s view on the CL. There is an argument that we may be better out of the competition so we can concentrate on the domestic comps. Or do people think it’s best just to keep winning and therefore getting through in the CL is vital? Does anyone actually believe we can win it?

When I lived in Spain the early two thousands saw tens of thousands fly over on these free two or three day visits with the purpose of buying a new built flat,nearly always off plan. They didn’t really check anything out except the glorious sea views only to discover some 18 months later on completion that another half a dozen blocks of flats had been built directly in front of theit chosen apartment.

The saying was “that they left their brains on the plane”.

Nowt wrong with your first post Chis – well done.

43. arnie says:

Kelsey: on bets, :D :D

On the Fake Fecking Protocol: Let us take the Kos hypothetical case. Players come and go, the club moves on. Kos is giving us a fantastic service, and we love him for that. His price in the doping market therefore increases. Good for us, good for him. If next year someone offers a high price and he wants to leave, big fecking deal!

His wishes have to be respected, of course. We just move on. Someone else will find his place. No one is indispensible. Is he equally likely to reproduce his work at another club? Likely not. Maybe he is past his prime, or even otherwise, just see the time it takes the Wizard of Ozil to adjust.

On the other hand, we wants to be part of the project and continue. Excellent for us. He is settled here, and will continue to perform well enough.

In any case, I garee with Raddy: “AFC cannot do that – or more realistically – will not do this”. :D :D :D

Its easier to win a cup competition than a league. The best teams invariably win leagues but don’t always win cups (= chavs CL and Europa), therefore I’d say our chances of winning the CL are no worse or better than winning the EPL.

45. fatgingergooner says:

BR,

I understand where you are coming from, but my point about finances is that we now have the ability to buy the talent we need.

Yes, City and Chelsea have endless supplies, but there are not endless amounts of players out there, and that’s key.

One thing we do have at this club is a manager who can create world class players where others cannot.

I believe that AW now has enough money to create a squad that can beat the likes of Chelsea and City on a regular basis. We don’t have endless money, but we have enough, whereas before we didn’t.

A good Post, ChrisH, and I enjoyed the read. Thank you.

Statistics figure pretty frequently on AA and are always interesting in their own right, although what you can read into ‘points garnered’ to date in any league should be treated with caution because of the huge variables at play, although I suspect you already know that.

Some of the best gamblers (that is to say those who are successful in achieving monies received in excess of monies gambled) use statistics and mathematics, (Bookies?) which gives them an edge over people gambling ‘blind’, however, I do not think there are many mathematicians who are inclined to gamble, other than occasionally on the slot machines at Vegas offering a million dollars winning chance for free. :-)

I could be wrong, of course, but what are the odds on that? :-)

47. arnie says:

TT: well put. of course I would agree, would I not? :D :D :D

48. fatgingergooner says:

Wilshere should be good for Liverpool, matter of weeks for Ramsey, according to SSN.

49. arnie says:

Redders: agree. mathematicians are risk averse, they are sitting in Wall Street helping the big money people place bets. And earn a fat little packet on the side. :D :D

Raddy: re your 12:39.

We should not forget that no other team could afford the 10,890 pounds we paid for David Jack back in the 30’s.
    It was Sir Henry’s money that made Arsenal, and we were the envy of the football league. Without that money we could have ended up as a non-league team or even worse non-existent.

What goes around most certainly comes around.

51. arnie says:

Rasp @ 12:50. Well said. Agreed. :D :D I am lost on the 12:54. :sad:

Hi Slim,

It is good that at long last we seem to have our own version of the goose that laid the golden eggs, and we can now look at buying better players than has been possible previously.

But Professor arnie will argue with your view that Arsenal can compete against the usual suspects because there is a limited supply of top quality players available.

That is because supply and demand is one of the most fundamental concepts of a (transfer) market, and where there is a limited supply there is an upward pressure on price, and that would, and does, suit the ‘non-business’ model. cash rich clubs very well.

It is also in their interests to buy up all the available top players to pack out their squads and to send out on loan to non competitive clubs because it artificially distorts the market values of all players, and severely curtails the ability of clubs like Arsenal to compete, however well they are run.

Sorry to be a Cassandra, but Arsenal are still up against it and will never be able to match the ‘spend’ of those in thrall to Middle Eastern states, or Eastern European oligarchs — unless we go get one for ourselves. :-)

Rasp,

More like 10 to 1 on. :-)

54. arnie says:

Fantastic lecture, Redders. :D :D I will propose your name as a visiting professor in my uni. :D :D :D

FGG. 12.51. I see your point and hope you are right.

Gn5 12.59. True, but sadly I wasn’t around to enjoy the thrill of Jack’s signing.

56. fatgingergooner says:

RA,

Whilst again, everything you say is correct, it doesn’t take into account the fact we are dealing with humans and not produce.

Yes, we will never be able to spend as much as City and Chelsea, and yes, theoretically they could buy all the best players, but in reality, if that was the case they why do they not have Messi and Ronaldo, why do WE have the best defensive record in the PL, and why did United win the league last year?

I’m not trying to say that we can compete financially with these clubs, what I am trying to say is that we now have ENOUGH resources to be able to compete with them on the field.

Wenger has built the best defensive pairing from a Ligue 2 defender and a big f*cking German that is too slow. He also has the best midfielder in the league this year in the form of a Welshman that most fans thought was s**t. With his ability to create world class players and the new finances from sponsorship deals we now have enough money and enough draw for potential signings to compete with the mega rich.

At some point we have to look at our own performance rather than using excuses about the money other clubs have. We have been top of the league for 22 weeks, there is no reason that can’t be 38 weeks.

57. arnie says:

To continue with Redders’ rant: Top players shoul and will attract a “scarcity” rent, because the supply of their skills is rare. But by engaging in non-competitive behaviour, which the authorities turn a blind eye to, cash rich clubs raise the prices of the second class players as well. This is to the detriment of clubs like Arsenal, that would want a fair level playing field.

The Fake Fecking Protocol appears to be an unsuccessful attempt to sort this problem.

58. arnie says:

FGG @ 1:30: Yes, I agree. This is the Arsenal strategy, and they are, if I may say so, not only the innovators of this business model, but the best in the world in implementing this. :D :D

Man City’s 2012/13 wage bill = £202,000,000
    = £3,884,615 per week
    =£554,945 per day
    =£23,122 per hour
    =£385 per minute
    =£6.42 per second

60. arnie says:

I think Fake Fecking Protrudence sounds, and conveys the sense, better. :D :D :D

61. arnie says:

Rasp: sigh. :D :D These figures truly deserve the 10 mins of silence that they achieved. :D

That 10 minutes cost city £3,850

63. fatgingergooner says:

£6.42 a second?

It cost me about the same for a prostitute in Amsterdam! :)

Since most footballers probably only work a 32 hour week (out of 168 hours), the true rates of pay in relation to time worked should be calculated at 5.25 x those figures = hourly rate of £121,390

FGG :lol: did you pay by the second?

66. Thanks for the Post, Chris, nice one to kick-off your debut with.
    No significant additions in January means we will revert to type, with our manager in his comfort zone of challenging for 3rd/4th, which is apparently all it takes to be rewarded with a new bumper deal. He and Abou Diaby must be laughing their socks off!

67. fatgingergooner says:

Yes Rasp,

Best £64.20 I ever spent! :)

68. arnie says:

FGG: 10 seconds? fast forward mode? :D

69. fatgingergooner says:

Arnie,

We did it twice! :)

70. arnie says:

FGG: ha ha ha. :D :D

‘We are active but not close to a deal’

According to Arsène Wenger, Arsenal remain “active” in the transfer market but are not close to a signing.

The window shuts at 11pm (UK) on Friday and, as ever, speculation is widespread about potential acquisitions in the Premier League. Speaking to Arsenal Player on Thursday morning, Wenger admitted the situation was developing hour by hour but nothing was imminent.

“Are we active? Yes,” he said. “Are we close to sign anybody? No.

“There’s not long now that’s true. First, the situation was going like always in a transfer market – week by week. In the last two weeks it goes day by day, now it goes hour by hour.

“In any hour anything can happen or change but at the moment, unfortunately, we are not signing anybody.”

Copyright 2014 The Arsenal Football Club plc.

72. fatgingergooner says:

Hope this Draxler deals gets done. I’m not sure he will play much to the end of the season, but it can only be a boost for the players to know we are starting to get some real quality.

73. Hi FGG, hope all is well with you and junior etc.
    Referring to your 12.42 whisper it quietly, but that lot over at N.17 have more pedigree in Europe than Arsenal, and that was all before Arsene Wenger arrived. We’re just happy collecting CL revenue, there’s no real hunger or desire to go on and win it, whether the fans want it or not.

Rasper,

re your 1:42, we really need some accuracy here, please. :-)

£202,000,000 / 365 = £553,424.66 / 24 = £23,059.36 / 60 = £384.32 / 60 = £6.41 per second.

You know how important the minutiae of FFP is – that 1 pence could mean the difference between them being kicked out of Europe, or not!! :-)

75. Norfolk Gooner says:

Peache/Rasp, post e mailed.

76. evonnee says:

Berbatov has been seen catching District line train going north. Us or Scum?

77. arnie says:

Do you have your binoculars on, Eevonne? :D

78. Norfolk Gooner says:

Aaron Ramsey has signed a new contract…. with Elite Model Management. Yep our crocked Welsh Wizard is taking to the catwalk. Ramsey who could be out of action for another eight weeks said “Obviously football is my main focus and always will be; I would never jeopardise that for anything. So I will have to manage my time well so that I can also take advantage of all the amazing opportunities that Elite can offer me”.

Sorry Evonne but he added “At this moment in time I wouldn’t want to do any shoots with my kit off… I don’t think my fiancée would be too happy about that!”

79. Norfolk Gooner says:

Evonne, It’s got to be Spuds, Arsenal would have sent a mini-cab for him. :D

As a follow up to GN5’s comment, I know there is a lot of antipathy on AA towards ‘red top’ journos, but here is an article from John Cross, an Arsenal fan, and a journalist for the Daily Mirror.
    There is a little game a few of us play at Arsenal.

— “It is Arsene Wenger transfer bingo. A smile for a possible deal, a nervous grin for a transfer at a delicate stage and a flat denial for a definite banker.

Maybe the last one is a little unkind, but, having covered Arsenal and Wenger for more years than I care to remember, I do see it as a game.

This window alone, a few of us journos who cover Arsenal regularly have sat there, asked questions, got the denial and came away saying to each other: “what do you reckon?”

Of course we’re not expecting Wenger to spill the beans . Few managers do. In my experience, some will help and give an off the record steer – Wenger has been known to do that – but most are very economical with the truth on transfers.

For Wenger, lying to the press is part of the game. Back in October 2010, Wenger even admitted lying, largely about injuries.

“If you are asking me if I have lied to the press to protect a player, the honest answer is yes,” said the Arsenal manager . “I didn’t do it and feel comfortable afterwards. But if it’s for one of my players, it’s a good cause.

“When I lie to the press, I always speak to the player concerned beforehand to get our story straight.”

My favourite denial was back in December 2008. And forgive my self indulgence here.

Cesc Fabregas had just been ruled out for a long time with a knee injury. Arsenal had been interested in Andrey Arshavin for a while and I got a tip they’d gone back in.

It was our back page splash. Cesc out, Arshavin in. Wenger, on that day, sat down in front of the newspaper journos, TV and radio and outright denied it. Said no chance, too expensive.

And from there we went through a long process. Sky run it on Sky Sports News with Wenger denying Arshavin reports. Fair enough. He did. Then you have the Sky website going a little bit further by saying Wenger rubbishes reports.

The following week, there’s a little chink in the armour. At the moments begin to appear. Until slowly we have: “We’re a long way apart.”

During this time, you ring everyone you know to try and check the story. Agents, club contacts, foreign journos, anyone.

The stream of stories keep coming. I ring agents every day. I very, very rarely quote them. I often get stick on Twitter for not having quotes or sources.

Well, the English press tends not to quote like some foreign media do. In my view, that’s not right or wrong. Just different styles. I don’t want to give away sources, simple as that.

And what is the point of quoting an unnamed source? A source told Mirror Sport. To me, that’s daft. Occasionally I do it. But rarely. I just write the information gleaned.

But on one occasion, I rang Arshavin’s agent at the time, Dennis Lachter, and he gave me one of my all-time favourite quotes. It was so good that I decided to use it. Since then, it’s been round the world and back, all from my snatched conversation with him from my old office in my loft.

Lachter, a real character, said: “We know that Arsene Wenger likes the look of Arshavin. But I like the look of Angelina Jolie and it doesn’t always mean you get what you want.

“Arsenal were interested in signing him last summer and they still are, so we will wait and see what happens. There has been a lot of interest in him this time as well from England, Spain and Italy.”

He eventually signed, of course. And that’s the thing with transfers. Arsenal want players, some clubs want to sell, some deals are easy , some are difficult.

Through the course of the window, Arsenal’s determination to land Julian Draxler has grown from being something for the summer into one they want to do now.

Again, Wenger has played the usual games on it. Games he has used down the years to deny they were interested in Mikel Arteta, Lukas Podolski and even re-signing Mathieu Flamini.

On other ones, Wenger has denied any interest in Juan Mata before he went to Chelsea, Phil Jones and Wilfried Zaha. Why, I guess, would you admit you were in for a player if he was going somewhere else?

But they were in for all three. Wenger’s denial on Mata changed last week into an admission that they nearly signed him. Thanks for that, Arsene.

Agents often pop in to the training ground. The fact that they have to go to the media building has on more than one occasion caused much amusement as we’ve seen obvious cars and personalised number plates turn up.

We see them, sometimes have a chat and that’s business. But I can say with some certainty that, as unlikely as they sounded, there was something in Scott Dann and Salomon Kalou. Something. Not much as they didn’t sign. But it all adds to the confusing game of Arsenal bingo.

Wenger last week ridiculed questions on Draxler, saying they’ve got enough midfielders already. Then when asked if he saw him as a striker, Wenger: “We do not rule it out.”

Wenger has already – as Sky would say – “rubbished” stories that Arsenal are in for Mirko Vucinic.

When quizzed on Vucinic, Wenger looked absolutely flabbergasted. “We are looking at potential possibilities for us to get someone in, but we are not especially in for Vucinic. Some people have visual capacities that I don’t have. We are not on any special case.”

You must remember agents are trying to move players. As the window begins to close , agents get more desperate as do the clubs so maybe that is one Arsenal will revisit. But it has been filed under desperate last ditch for the moment.

Remember Dimitar Berbatov? That was hot – and then faded. Wenger has been equally dismissive of that in the past. Sometimes you write things if they’re newsworthy but why write a denial if you haven’t written the story in the first place?

Unless it’s a huge name or story, I don’t see the point. But if you don’t work the patch, you don’t know whether he’s denied it. And more to the point, whether the denial is a denial or a cheeky nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

I keep Twitter for work and Facebook for friends. When one friend asked me on Facebook about Berbatov, I replied to him using Wenger’s dismissive joke. When it appeared on a back page, he replied again taking the mickey out of me. Blimey, with friends like that… Everyone wants to be an ITK.

The denials and put downs are by no means the case on Draxler. He’s a wanted man. And this window has been fascinating .

Draxler was meant for the summer, Arsenal’s injuries have increased, there is a will from the top to get it done but Wenger always takes some persuading to pay huge money while it is clear others are willing to pay big money to get the top targets.

In fact, my understanding is that there is a deal there to be done. It’s been set up, Schalke are willing to sell, Arsenal have the money, Draxler wants to come and yet it is Wenger who must make the final call. Just do it, Arsene .

But the denials and counter denials have been amusing on Twitter. It seems to me the German media are not so obsessed on transfers as we are.

After all, they all denied Arsenal’s interest in Podolski – until just before it actually happened. The reverse lights were put on and they started to want to “confirm” it on Twitter. How can any journalist “confirm” a transfer? We can report it. It’s down to the clubs to confirm it.

Bild haven’t reported Arsenal’s interest much. But we’re not really suggesting that Arsenal haven’t been in touch, are we? You’ve got to be pretty naïve to do that. Clubs will officially say nothing so you try other routes. That’s our job.

There’s still a lot of work to be done on Draxler . I’d still say it was 50-50, but there was more encouragement on Wednesday.

And one of my favourite things from this window was this imaginary “Arsenal delegation” being reported.

Let me tell you, Arsenal didn’t send a delegation to sign Mesut Ozil. The chief executive went to Madrid, the transfer fixer went to Munich. That was all.

The thought of an Arsenal “delegation” is too funny for words. Who gets to go? The tea lady? The ticket office? The ball boys?

It was ridiculous so no wonder it didn’t happen and therefore got denied in the German media who were as quick to deny this latest Draxler line as they were Podolski. Hasn’t anyone ever heard of phones?

This is the problem. Stories grow and grow. Every single day I get tweets from Liverpool fans saying “boom” because apparently I said Luis Suarez was definitely joining Arsenal.

Trouble is, I didn’t I reported Arsenal’s interest, they were confident of getting him and that he wanted to come. That earned me death threats and horrific abuse from Liverpool fans on Twitter.

So when Suarez gave an interview confirming he wanted to go, I couldn’t resist putting out a tweet saying “boom” and wondering if I’d now get an apology.

Arsenal wanted Suarez, Liverpool wouldn’t sell. It’s also going to be the same with Draxler. Can they get it done in time? Despite stories last week (which now I am linked to but I’ve never written), Arsenal haven’t agreed a fee yet. There’s some way to go in this saga. Can they do it?

One thing’s for sure, it won’t be for the want of trying. And by February 1 after the deadline, I will have had enough of this window and Arsene’s transfer bingo.”

Interesting view from ‘the other side’ seems we are all fed up with the stories/rumours – fans and journos alike!! :-)

81. Norfolk Gooner says:

That’s interesting RA, it seems to me that Cross is agreeing with most of us that all the transfer talk is just bollix. :D

82. arnie says:

Nice one, Redders. Agreed, NG.

But not fed up, really. I personally see this both as part of the game and part of the fun in following the game. Well, transfer windows will be there. We might as well go with the flow and get some entertainment out of it! :D :D In any case, we deal a lot with bollix of one sort or the other. Transfer talk, the TT Poll, trying to predict a team on matchday, or trying to speculate what went wrong against S’ton are, for me, all bollix in parts. We enjoy it, and therefore do it!!! :D :D

Why else would we be on this space and do this stuff. On with the show!!!!! :D :D :D

83. Indeed….that best £64.20 is going be the best money you spent on getting me the…. house, car, holiday, new clothes…………….

84. jane johnson says:

Sky reported today that Man City have managed to get around FFP by giving £23m in consulting services to Man City ladies!! Small beer compared to the fact that they can write any income they like from one of their owner’s associated companies.

RA,

I spoke with George Cross on several occasions when he was a guest on Tom Watt’s Arsenal fan forum talk show on Arsenal Player. The show has now been replaced, I understand that Tom Watt is off on a book writing sabbatical.

I mention this because George is a total Arsenal Fan – atic.

The Vucinic deal if off, he has decided to stay in Italy. We were seriously interested as a loan deal – not to buy.

Hi jane, welcome. One of the failings of FFP is that the super-rich clubs have the financial power to buy their way around some aspects. The true test will come when it can be proved that one of the big clubs has contravened FFP – will UEFA have the balls to ban them from European competition?

RA, thanks for the John Cross info. It’s fascinating and confirms everything I’ve suspected regards Arsene’s cat and mouse approach to transfers. I’d have to say his pragmatic approach is spot on. Who cares if he has tell a few lies if it means we achieve our transfer targets – it’s not like he’s the only one.

89. arnie says:

Top comments, Rasp. :D :D :D

90. Norfolk Gooner says:

He’s signed!!! The deal is done!!! It’s official!!! It’s on the club’s website!!! Mid-fielder Josh Todd has joined from Carlisle!!! No Not Arsenal!! Annan Athletic

91. arnie says:

NG: Thanks for the news. Brilliant!!!!! wow!!!!! :D :D :D

This will interest a select few, one in particular

The Life and Times of Herbert Chapman: The story of one of football’s most influential figures by Patrick Barclay (Weidenfeld, £20)

For the Gooner, the true believer among the Arsenal Football Club fan base, it’s a matter of more than academic debate as to who has been their greatest manager.

First comes Herbert Chapman, the subject of this intriguing biography by our columnist Patrick Barclay, known as “The Boss”, who brought Cup and League glory in the Twenties and Thirties. His only rival is the current incumbent, Arsène Wenger, aka “Le Prof”, who has brought the club more trophies than any other at the Arsenal helm. After 18 years in charge, he has just signed on for a further three years, at a reported annual salary of £8 million plus add-ons.

At first glance, the profiles and history of the two men are a complete contrast — Chapman, the son of an illiterate Yorkshire miner, and Arsène Wenger, the Alsatian economics graduate and speaker of many tongues. Look closer and you find surprising similarities. Their whole style is discipline and innovation. Both have had a major impact on the entire ethos and execution of the British way of football, from tactics to management, rules and the way the game is run. Chapman helped introduce floodlights, and numbers on players’ shirts. Wenger calibrated players’ diets and set out to kill the booze culture in his Arsenal teams by closing down the players’ bar.

Both drew from a wide range of experience and contact with Continental players. The teams of both have had the fast counter-attack as their hallmark. In their day both had been indifferent players — but both have proved master strategists and motivators on the training ground.

When he was appointed manager in 1996 Wenger was well aware of the long shadow of The Boss. Quizzed by a fan what he knew about Chapman, Le Prof replied: “Ah yes, he’s the man who put numbers on players’ shirts and changed the metro station name from Gillespie Road to Arsenal.”

In this book, robust as Herbert Chapman’s desk, still a treasured heirloom at Arsenal GHQ, Patrick Barclay weaves in the story of the times — from the Great War, in which players joined up in the “Football Battalion” and Chapman took time out to manage one of the largest munitions factories in Britain, to the General Strike and the Depression. He only came to Highbury and the Arsenal in the last nine years of his life, after early success managing Northampton and Huddersfield.

At Arsenal he built success around such talents as the mercurial and fiery Alex James, Cliff Bastin and David Jack. It was after watching a game of juniors, among them a young Denis Compton, on a wet January day in 1934 that he contracted pneumonia and died at 55.

It would be tempting, but wrong, to see Chapman presiding over a more gentlemanly game in a more chivalrous era. Barclay’s hugely entertaining story is as full of off-ball incidents and punch–ups as today’s game. My father as a schoolboy had a trial for Arsenal in the time of The Boss. “At 10 stone 10, I knew I wouldn’t last 20 minutes on the field with that lot,” he once told me, “and all for 10 shillings a week.”

Go to standard.co.uk/booksdirect to buy this book for £15.95, or phone 0843 060 0029, free UK p&p

Wouldn’t be surprised if we signed Berbatov for 2 million at 10.59 p.m. tomorrow

Stranger things have been known Kelsey, that’s probably as likely as any other transfer at the moment. I think we can say with some certainty that we are trying to secure the deal with Draxler.

95. Norfolk Gooner says:

Arnie, a bit of light relief, :D

96. arnie says:

Rasp: Slight correction. I think Draxler wants to come, otherwise we would not be in. We are trying to secure the deal with Schalke regarding the transfer price. Haggling over money, that is!!!! Quite right to do this as well. As far as I am concerned Draxler is a promising youngster, a very promising youngster. We do not know how well he will be when he is more mature. Such a high price tag!!!! Beggars belief, as far as I am concerned.

The transfer market is no market at all, it is the black market!!!!! :D

I wouldn’t be surprised if we signed you, Kelsey, to advertise Arsenal shampoo for wayward hair, and give you the title of ‘Supreme Commander of Leaks and Tidbits’. :-)

98. arnie says:

NG: I have been tempted last week to post the photo (from behind) of our only signing this window. The Dutch lady, forgot the name. :D :D

Rasper/arnie,

The latest news out of Deutsche Land is that the Schalke boss is saying that there will be no deal for Draxler now or even in the summer.

Pity.

Well that means it’s a certainty we are getting Draxler, RA :)

arnie,

Can this be true — you are going to show a ‘photo of our latest signing’s behind?

You little pervert! :-)

I agree arnie.

Draxler wants us ….. we want him …… we don’t want to pay too much

103. arnie says:

Kelsey: yes, I think you may be right. :D

Redders: I have been checking on your internet activity regarding transfers, and I am certain you know the photo I meant. :D :D :D

RA @ 4:00 – I take that as confirmation that we are in talks with Schalke :?

Here”s some good news

Walcott and Diaby out indefinitely
    Rambo out 8 weeks
    Sagna still haggling
    Jack still not 100% fit
    Flamini only banned for 4 games
    Vermaelen wants to play in the World Cup and get gametime
    Fabianski is out of contract
    The italian keeper has done a Lord Lucan
    Bedtner …..oh never mind
    Sonogo…does he exist
    Park…the sell shirts to the Far East man, who hasn’t played an hour all season.
    Rosicky will sign up for the next batman film if he doesn’t get a new long contract

anyone else

106. I think that if you chained Kelsey to an iron pole behind a Boeing 747 at take off, his hair would still be intact ! …………….his clothes would be blown away and his face ripped off, but…..the hair !……it`s indestructible !.

107. arnie says:

I understand that, in the circuit, Heldt is a well-known poker player. I think it is Arsene vs Heldt, who blinks first!!!! :D :D

Arteta has run out of gel

arnie,

I only take the transfer rumours rhubarb from the one and only Kelsey. :-)

He knows what is going on!!!

110. Yes, I know, that’s taking blow drying to the extreme !.

111. arnie says:

@GunnersMathers: @JanAageFjortoft any news on Draxler?” Working on it! Loads of speculations that I won't comment— Jan Aage Fjortoft (@JanAageFjortoft) January 30, 2014

Talking of that where is the king of the one liners. Surely not looking for wife number 5

Cockie GLIC,

Kelsey’s hair should withstand any tempest — after all he got it off Chewbaca and with Terry’s syrup super glue he has the perfect barnet. :-)

After the public disclosure of naughty ladies, I think he is on the run from No.4 :-)

Another blow job wasted ;)

I think that Jan Aage Fjortoft is full of it!

117. arnie says:

ha ha ha, Redders @ 4:25. :D :D :D

118. Thanks for that info, Indiana Redders and the Dictionary of Doom !. :)
    Their is a link to you saying barnet…. Barnet FC are going to use Kelsey`s hair for their new playing surface. It was also used to for all the puppets hair in Thunderbirds with the understanding that Jeff Tracy was to be the spitting image of Kelsey !.

Uncanny isn’t it !. hahaha

There is more rumour about my hair than the whole page on Newsnow transfers.

120. But all the transfer rumours are just that…rumours……99% untrue !…,.,…whereas your hair is legendary !. hahaha

121. What happened there ?……….has Rasp moderated himself ?.

122. arnie says:

Kelsey: “There is more rumour about my hair than the whole page on Newsnow transfers” :D :D :D

123. arnie says:

Rasp is probably out to hunt transfer “news”.

The grapevine (Guardian) says Berbatov may be out of Craven Cottage. Or may not be as well. In other words they do not know. But all they know if Mitroglu’s potential transfer may lead to Berbatov getting fewer invitations for dinner!!! :D :D

because he has a receding hairline, arnie

125. Hi Kelsey,

It seems to me that Chapman and Wenger took the Arsenal job with quite different instructions. I’m sure even Henry Norris couldn’t have imagined how Chapman and his brand of football would radically transform a club completely off the radar. And it wasn’t instant, it took him five years to win his first major trophy with Arsenal, but once the first one was in, everything else clicked into place. The club had truly won the Lottery the day Herbert Chapman took the manager’s job.
    Arsene Wenger has done it in reverse. He had instant success and kept it going during his early stint, but The Emirates move has been to Arsenal what haircuts were to Samson, it drained us of all our competitive strength. In Chapman’s day third and fourth place wasn’t good enough, now fans celebrate as though it is some miraculous achievement. Of course Chapman didn’t have the opportunity to test himself against Europe’s elite, so undoubtedly very different times which obviously has changed the nature of the manager’s role, along with the club’s and supporters expectations.

126. arnie says:

Kelsey: :D

Stat chaps. Can anyone remember when Arsenal last conceded 5 goals at home?

I was there when we got stuffed by MU in an LC game at Highbury when they scored 6. Must be 20 years ago.
    But 5?

128. BR – League Cup 4th Rnd, 1998-99 v Chelsea.

Very wise words by Matthew Stranger on Football365.

……………………………………………………………………………………….

Arsenal
    I don’t understand the fuss. It might be a concern that Arsenal were poor in the first half against Southampton, but the important thing is that they still came away with a point. No-one is going to win every game from now until the end of the season. City only claimed a draw at St Mary’s, while Saints also beat Liverpool at Anfield earlier in the campaign. If there is a time to panic, this isn’t it.

That the Gunners have to play every other team in the top seven in their next ten fixtures (along with Bayern Munich in the Champions League and Liverpool in the FA Cup) is obviously a huge concern. But they have thrived in make-or-break situations in the last two seasons and can do so again following their remarkable improvement this year.

Those tearing their hair out over a draw with Southampton are no better than Andre Villas-Boas stroking his chin and speaking of a ‘negative spiral’ last March. A team is never only as good as its last performance and Arsenal have proved that they can maintain their momentum and recover from setbacks. The challenge now is to assert their quality against the other big teams in the Premier League. They really have nothing to fear.

130. arnie says:

GN5: that is really fantastic. :D :D

Now this is where we appear to be with Herr Draxler.

1. AW has clearly stated, more than once, that Arsenal are ‘active in the market’ — admittedly he has not said which market, so add your adjectival prefix as you see fit – Super.. ; black… ; street …; etc

2. The Schalke bigwig has said that Draxler will not be leaving – no how, no way Jose.

3. He adds as an after-thought that there has been no delegation from Arsenal (a figment of some plonkers vivid imagination), unless they were hiding in the ladies.

4. He also says that there has been no bid from Arsenal for Draxler,
    In which case he is implying our non-lying manager is telling porkies – surely not? But wait a minute – hold the ‘phone, hold your hosses, or as Kelsey says, hold your own – whatever takes your fancy.

5. He also says that Draxler does not want to move – why would he say that if there has not been a bid? I might say that I do not want a kiss from Raddy – but he has not asked me – yet, so why would I – why would he. [Just as an example, you know!] :-)

6. A ‘source’ has said that they would seriously consider a substantial offer from Arsenal for Draxler. So no offer or no substantial offer made?

What to make of this?

They are all lying bar stewards. :-)

Frustratingly RA the comment that Draxler doesn’t want to move could mean just that so don’t bother making an offer.

133. arnie says:

And you are telling me this transfer business thing is not fun. This is like Agatha Christie and Alfred Hictchcock comined into one. Great fun!!!!! :D :D

Cheers, Chris, nice post.
    If we finish the season as we have done in the last couple of seasons, we’ll be ok.

Apparently Flamini’s ban is only 3 games after all, so he’s back for the dippers cup game.

From last year………

Was the January window we bought Arshavin a success?

Peaches’ Mum look away now.

chas. :-D :-D

WATA. Thank you – and in the League?

I have not given up hope yet, LB, it is almost impossible to separate the wheat from the chaff.

You have been proved right in what you said a long time ago, that in the transfer window Arsene would be foolish to say publicly what he is doing.

After all the rumours that seemed pretty ‘definite’ I would be very disappointed to be honest if we do not get Draxler.

Tomorrow night will tell.

140. JanMan says:

I really believe the Draxler deal is on and it will be an Özil saga where the signing goes through a few minutes before the deadline. The German news are now making comments on it as though it will happen while the Schalke management has said Draxler may well sign a new contract with Schalke (smokescreen) also Dr Mueller-Wohlfahrt has cleared Draxler to resume full training (Draxler had previously ruptured a thigh tendon). All we can do is wait, not long to go now.

Chris: Interesting debut post.

141. Obviously you have all heard it wrong. Arsene said he is ” active in the Meerkat ! “. He is currently actively comparing about 20 of them !
    Dirty Bastard !.

142. At a guess, BR, I’d plump for the 5-4 game at Highbury against MU in 1958 (their last game before the Munich disaster), before I was born, unless someone knows better.

Can’t stop, but just enjoyed a fantastic read through today’s comments.

My favourite:
    kelsey says:
    By the way could someone in authority let me know the meaning of GIE’S swingometer :-)
    Nite all.

My first game Herb,honest.

The intention is to eventually get the entire German national team playing for Herr Wenger.

146. dandan says:

BR 5: O So was I, Sitting in the West Stand

147. Supposed to have been some game, Kelsey.
    Hi Dandan, hope all is well with you.

148. JanMan says:

Kelsey. That is not a bad idea :-)

149. fatgingergooner says:

The way I look at the Schalke comments is that they have no interest in negotiating a price for him and only the release clause will be accepted. This late in the window I imagine its going to make it hard for them to replace him so will try and put us off.

I still think it could be a late signing but I’m not believing anything until it’s on Arsenal.com.

Interestingly I’ve just seen a quote from him when he was 19 and he said his preferred position is the number 10 role, so I guess Wenger was telling the truth when he said we didn’t want wide players.

Then there was the 0-5 vs Huddersfield on Feb 14th 1925. I thought that was your first game Kelsey….

second Raddy, second

Manchester United and England footballer Ashley Young has been banned from driving for six months, and three years for diving..

The 28-year-old was handed four penalty points after he admitted speeding at 71mph on a 50mph section of the M6 Toll in Warwickshire in March last year.

Warwick Magistrates Court heard he already had nine points on his licence for an earlier speeding conviction.

Young’s solicitor argued the road had been “quiet” at the time of his latest offence

153. welarfedourselvestobits says:

Flamini’s tackle/red card was similar to Kompany’s V Arsenal a few seasons back at the Emiates,City appealed the card and WON! I see the FA have brushed the sperz 3rd round FAcup missile throwing incident under the carpet, did Levey throw money at them?

154. welarfedourselvestobits says:

Raddy – this one really hurts.

Oct 28th 1893, our 4th (all time) league home game – result Arsenal 0 Liverpool 5.

Bit snug now. Haha.

Just one lickle ballon, Arsene, even if it a blue one.

158. byron says:

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is refusing to meet Schalke’s £37million price for Julian Draxler.

Talks are still ongoing, but the German club are refusing to budge on the fee and also want the vast majority of the cash paid up front – which means the deal is unlikely to happen before Friday’s 11pm deadline.

Wenger could still turn it round quickly if Schalke lower their valuation or demands – but it meansthe Gunners are now looking at other emergency options.

It is a setback for the Londoners’ board – they are willing to back Wenger with the cash but the Frenchman believes £37m is too much for the 20-year-old German international.

I can’t stand Wenger he is such a low life

160. fatgingergooner says:

Awww, I was looking forward to a shiny new player in January.

That bloody Wenger……!

Come on Mr Dick Law. Today, you’re The Man :-)

How was the surf?

Only 17 now.

Hi Chas

Pants. In short. Me desperate. Not good enough for the wave. Good for the expert short boarders, not the mature longboarders. Spring/summer cannot come fast enough.

photo/1#

:-)

Micky,
    I bet it’s exhilarating, though, getting your doodahs to disappear inside your body.

Do we know whether it is Arsene who says what we pay for a player, or does he say: “Law. He’s the man I want over there. Go get”, and it’s up to Law?

New one from Gunnerblog…..

No, it was not exhilarating at all. I’m over optimistic when looking at the reports, as I’m too desperate to go. Good conditions in the winter are very rare for even the experts, so even rarer for me. Yes, I still like getting into the sea, but then the f’ing and blinding begins.

Any reason someone talking about Klose?

Haven’t seen him on any Hot Gossip columns :-)

Chas, Oh Twittermeister, how far could you get a rumour spread? :-)

Chas

Had an email from British Midland yesterday saying my flight to Munich on March 11th has been cancelled and been changed to the 10th. Wasn’t exactly flavour of my own household due to abandoning ship on my birthday anyway :-(

Does that mean you are now travelling on the 10th?

As far as twitter rumours go, you’d need someone with more ‘followers’ than I have.

Chas
    Email says flight transfer done unless I contact, and would get full refund. Might see if I can get an 11th flight from Heathrow or Gatwick, otherwise, yip, two nights.

Twiitter: I’d have thought rumours would spread rapidly amongst Arsenal tweeters.

Here we go:
    Arsenal Fans. Dick Law on 12:25 Stanstead to Naples, if that helps”

I do have a twitter account from my Christmas card doings. I’ll post it and see what happens. You are linked to me. So is Captain Modesty Chary for some reason

Haha, Captain Modesty.

Would me posting that on twitter work?

Shouldn’t Dick Law have been travelling from Dusseldorf or somewhere where he’s been prevaricating over Draxler?

I think your 3 followers should have that halfway around the globe in the blink of an eye!!!!!!!!

I can’t see the Essex whirlpool on your followers list?

Apparently this is top of Dick Law’s most played list on his Ipod…….

Essex Whirlpool :-)

For reasons of both promotion as well as poetry, I’ve upgraded him from Captain to Major Modesty :-)

I do look at my twitter occasionally to read Beijing, and you, GM and The Major have all appeared on the left!

On the left?
    Do you mean in the “Who to Follow” section?

191. evonnee says:

have we signed anyone? Is Draxler deal dead?

Why aren’t you “following” Beijing and Arse Gent.
    If you did, their stuff would appear on your timeline (right hand side) without you having to search each time.

Evonnee

Looks to me like we’re after someone at Napoli. Higuain?

evonee,
    No and no-one knows.

Chas
    I just look him up under the magnifying glass symbol. Easy.

Yeah, but you wouldn’t have to if you ‘followed’ him.

197. evonnee says:

Just as I suspected. So why am I disappointed ?

evonee,
    It’s your default setting.

A man after my own heart Chris, although my swingometer gas us one point up (I guess we used different relegated teams to replace although not sure which result that would be). But needless to say it offers hope and fears in equal measure. If we end up like for like we will have 74 points. But some of those results last year should be winnable this year (ie Spurs away, Norwich away, Swansea home). Other games that we fared badly in ManUre home Shitty home could be reversed also, then there is a good away win like Liverpool that needs to be replicated.

In short it’s going to be tough.

I’ve done my own prediction

City 92
    Arsenal 91
    Chavs 89
    Dippers 81
    ManUre 74
    Spuds 73

200. evonnee says:

you might be right Chas – take you for example, what a huge disappointment you turned out to be – I’m talking about that offside for women comment . Everybody knows that there has to be at least 2 players on the pitch for the offside rule to apply

Haha, I’ve always been a huge disappointment to myself but once I learnt to live with it, everything’s been cool.

I realised the kitchen joke wouldn’t apply to you, as your microwave is in the front room.

GIE,
    Comparing playing Norwich away in mid October and last game of the season is ludicrous. That’s why I love the swingometer so much. :)

202. Gooner in Exile says:

Player valuations are interesting aren’t they.

Bale £90m
    Ozil £42m
    Cabaye £20m

Draxler £37m?
    Higuain £35m?

Ok Draxler is 20 and has youth on his side but £37m if you only gets 4-5 year contract is £7.5m a year plus his wages. That’s quite a big chunk of expenditure when he is only really to cover short term injuries to Theo.

In my view what we could really do with is a midfield brute in the Yaya mould.

Morning all.

My latest comment got swallowed up but in essence it is about Park who as you know the club have written off his 5.5 million transfer fee and he wants to get in his national squad. If he doesn’t go today he will sit on “the park bench”until the summer when he is free to leave.
    The staggering thing it is believed he is on 45K a week, now add Diaby,Bedtner and the Italian keepers wages together and you are looking roughly at 150 to 200k a week or at least 9 million a year(based on 175K a week) absolute dead money yet if we really areafter Draxler now or whenever why haggle over a few million and then possibly lose out but hopefully that isn’t the case.

I don’t think we will get a raging bull DM but the name Kalou pops up again, is French, cheap and might fill the gap in attack until the summer Asking price around 2 million.He is more verstile than Berbatov who regardless of price is in some peoples eyes a luxury but he does have that thing called class. If it was me I would get both. Amen :)

Ah Mr GIE I was asking about your swingometer yesterday. Any chance you could explain it to the uninitiated :)

Exile

Couple of questions on how The Swingometer works :-)

Microwave in the front room :-) You’ve got to love him really, Evonee

Kalou is Ivorian

207. evonnee says:

amen Kelsey. Park on 45k a week??? That’s money laundering on a big scale

monster – I don’t have a microwave, as I don’t cook. There are perfectly good take aways in the area

Kelsey
    In the immortal word of Raddy: “No” :-)

You’re either taking the piss, in which case Chapeau, or you haven’t been concentrating in class for at least a year.

Morning crew in fine form
    Arseblog’s songs are superb. The recent Moyes song was excellent

210. evonnee says:

Kelsey – GiE has asked for someone to explain it to him too :)

Look Lads. Park was bought to raise our profile somewhere in the Far East. That’s it.

212. Gooner in Exile says:

Chas you can’t argue with the data, City have lost away to Sunderland in the last three years, and so many of the other “freak” results repeat, like us drawing away at So’ton. :D

Kelsey you asked for an explanation of the swing early yesterday.

This season points minus last season points divided by points last season, multiplied by remaining fixture points this season.

Simples :D

Games we have played so far have 51 points in 2012/13.

In 2013/14 we have got 52 points.

Therefore swing of +1 (2%)

Remaining games we scored 22 points in 2012/13 (a miserable return from 15 games)

Apply percentage swing of games completed to games to come (half a point) and add to existing points.

So swingometer says 74 points is our expectation as the swing is square root of bugger all :D

Whereas Shitty are unfortunately streets ahead of their 2012/13 total up 13 points, and percentage is 33%. Apply that to the points they gained from their remaining games takes them past their total possible (98 points) so swingo says they will win each of their next 15 games.

speaks french chas, will that do

214. Gooner in Exile says:

Took me so long to explain Kelsey asked again :D

kelsey. Given your list of woes yesterday and this morning’s comment, is there anything you are happy about at the club? :-D

In any squad there are duffers – we have fewer than most.

As to Park, we signed him from tax-free Monaco and I guess had to compete with his nett wage He was scoring at more than a goal every 4 games and at €1m was worth a punt. Sadly didn’t work out for him.

Do you think his wages for doing nothing and the loss of his transfer fee can be set against profits? ;-)

Thanks for the explanation GIE, I think.

At the las count we had sold 11 Park shirts and 3 million replicas in the Far East

Raddy

we didn’t pay 1 million for Park.

List of woes, NO. Just facts, a big difference Sir Baldy :)

You just concentrate on the £ versus Euro, leave me to do the football stuff :)

Right, enough splitting hairs for me.

“You can’t argue with the data” hahahahahahahaha.
    Pointing out the two results that have been the same by complete fluke in entirely different circumstances does not a case make.
    Tell it to Saints and Villa supporters who thought they’d run away with the league earlier in the season. :lol:

223. Gooner in Exile says:

And for those who want to look at greener pastures rather than the Death Clusters, these are the remaining games, and our results last year:

Sunderland H Draw
    Toon H Won
    Shitty H Lost
    Chavs A Lost
    West Ham H Won
    Spuds A Lost
    ManUre H Lost

Chance of winning the title revolves around us scoring 90 points (in my best guess).

Those gave 21 points.

Beat Sunderland, Stoke, Norwich, Spuds, Swansea, Everton and ManUre and we would have an extra 18 points. So puts us on 91 points and we could still lose to Shitty and Chavs.

Actually being connected to the schmata trade I am over the moon that finally AW will get a brand new Puma coat with a zip that actually works.

225. Gooner in Exile says:

:D Kelsey, so many other clubs are sponsored by Nike but they do not seem to favour the long puffer……but i think i saw another manager struggling with a zip recently and thought….at least its not just Arsene

That is a very good argument GIE but ……I will respond in 2 weeks

Kelsey :-D

Park’s fee was €1m and the 5.5 “impairment fee” includes wages.

By the way I just realised that there are at least 3 other regulars on here who are older than me, so Raddy kindly bare that in mind in future :)

Still a waste of money.(I bet you had to look that up) :)

Of course I did. I know nothing about football!

Rock music is my specialist subject (and divorce law!!)

That makes two of us .

I don’t think there was any definitive player mentioned on impairment cost in that years accounts.

It could have been a devaluation of Diaby for his injury record, or a bunch of youth players or those South American youngsters we sign that end up in the mists of Spanish football.

Oooooh just checked this years accounts statement from the Board…..

2011/12 £5.5m (assumed to be Park) 2012/13 £10m …. anyone having a guess at that one?

I said definitive not speculative from the likes of TalkShite :)

I need to find out whether a players value gets increased on the books when he signs a new deal. If so it could be any number of players being revalued each season as their potential resale value reduces.

Let’s assume Playr joins for £40m his worth would be £40m on the books and reduced over length of his contract til it becomes zero. When he signs a new deal he would be valued at £0 unless he is revalued at that point in time.

If the latter is the case the impairment could relate to anyone on a contract over 1-2 years who is going down in value quick (either through injury record or playing record). But it has to be players still at the club on the Balance Sheet date (31/5/2013). But doesn’t necessarily mean they were still there at start of the season and hence the impairment is known before accounts are produced and the auditors and board have decided to revalue at the year end to show the loss.

We let quite a few youngsters go at the end of last season so it could be those of they went on a free after 31 May with years remaining on contract.

In that case Diaby must be in the loss account for about 20 million.

Seriously, fees or wages it’s a loss of 5.5 million. It was a gamble that didn’t pay off. Won’t be the last and certainly not the first.

237. evonnee says:

who is paying Diaby’s wages? The club or insurers?

Can’t hang around …. have a look at the widgets evonne

239. arnie says:

Motning all. Is it deadline day? Does it matter a flying fig?

Seems like lots of motning banter. good fun. Off to read. :D :D

Sorry I’m a bit late …….. just sorting the post

241. We have a New Post ………………….