An epic climax ……Match thoughts

I enjoyed that game more than any other this season, and I was at The Emirates to witness the stunning beauty of those twenty minutes against Napoli.

First up though, I’d like to begin by talking about Sex, Baby. So, if you’re very old, then cast your minds back, and if you’re very young, then tune in, listen and learn.

Two versions to consider here. Both equally valid. One, the tantric style Sting and Trudie slow build up version with an epic climax, and second, what I’ll call The Pamela Anderson, out back for a relieving fast and furious quickie.

Alright, I think you can guess where I’m going with this. There are different types of match day experience. Some all thinky tactical beardy stuff, and some just raw passion. For all of the musicians on here, think of the kind of stripped bare, acoustic, no frills, distortion pedalless, nothing synthesized, pure stuff.

This game was always going to be about getting stripped down, no frills, no toys, just pure muscle flexing, sweating, teeth gritting love, drive, passion and above all patience.

Ok, the first half was pretty dull, the weather dreadful, and I felt for the poor sodden fans. Things is, there’s no such thing as a Free Lunch, as the expression goes. What they were treated to was one of those nailbiting, exhilhirating, edge-of-seat, tension filled, ballbreaking finales. Fantastic, my favourite.

Ok, so some days the sun shines, the football is elegant, and we dominate. Two up in twenty minutes, and cruising all the way to the line. Like some of that too, but, there’s no tension.

In terrible stormy conditions, Cardiff sailed up the M4, and floated their defensive flotilla in front of their goal. Fair enough, I thought. Good plan. Right then, what could we do about it.

We started with a front four of Podolski, Theo, Jack and Santi, and I wouldn’t have been alone in thinking that this could well turn out to be quite exciting. It didn’t. The first half was pretty dire. However, for me, this meant the second half had to be dramatic, as however it panned out, things were going to get edgy if we didn’t score early. We didn’t. Per came damn close with a couple of headers which surely would have found the net on any other day. Oh well, shit happens.

Boy, did the Lads do us proud though. 100% efforting going on all over the place. My MOTM Jack Wilshere was energy, thrust and die-for-the-cause energetic. Santi too, although far from the incredible form of last season, probed and kept trying to find the eye of the needle threaded ball needed to open up a packed defence. Into the last 10 at 0-0, and things were getting a little tense.

Crikey, now only two minutes of the ninety left.

Yessssssss, Nic Bendtner smashes home into the roof of the net. Brilliant, bloody brilliant. Can we hold on? Verm on for the injured Nic. Cripes, we’re going defensive. Brace yourselves peeps, things could get messy. Bugger, five minutes of Fergie time. Yessssssssss, Theooooooo. What a class finish with a delicate dink over the keeper in the 92nd. Three whole minutes for the fans to finally relax, sing and dance. What a finale, what a climax.

The team and the fans earned that, although our very own Chas, who was at the game, has just mentioned that “the moaning was reaching a crescendo” just prior to the Nic goal. Let’s not forget that breaking down a massed defence is not easy, whoever you are. Winning like that happens to be what Champions do.

Very much an afternoon for Sting Fans.

What a start to 2014. Top of The League, and now you’d better believe it.

Written by MickyDidIt

134 Responses to An epic climax ……Match thoughts

1. Manthan says:

If Ozil was playing yesterday then Poldi would have got goal or two.. EVen Poldi was dragging back a lot.. I remember once instance when Monreal crossed the ball and no one was there to finish it.. Ball went right infront of face of goal..

2. Manthan says:

Good post Micky, We played well for first 80 minutes but finishing was lacking.. What about Sagna taking free kick I didn’t understand the logic behind tat :D.. Kudos to the team who fought till end and we got well deserved win. Next is Villa a Revenge time..

Brilliant match report, you captured the mood far better than I ever could.

Really entertaining read. Could only come from the keyboard of the Didit.

Love the sex analogy and will have fun thinking of others

Excellent thanks Micky. I didn’t get to see the game live Micky but it was definitely Freebird (or the Balero for the more poncey) rather than Anarchy in the UK.

I saw in the interview after the game that Jack said it was good that they now had a bit of a break to recover, I get the impression that the FA Cup will not be high priority.

Raddy
    “Could only come from the keyboard of the Didit”
    Because it’s the type of match report that contains not a single tactical insight? :-)

Either that, Rasp, or Jack simply sees playing Totnum as good as a bye :-)

Hi Micky, I’d certainly like to see Gnabry, Eisfeld and Jenks play against the spuds and then a few experienced players and maybe the odd one who we’ve hardly heard of. The trouble is that most of the players who are knocking on the door of the first team squad are out on loan.

True Rasp, and I’d like to see Gerv and Coquelin in the side. Ooops.

Who’s going to play centre forward?

10. Excellent match report MDi89, although being an innocent sort all those seedy s** references went over my head.

Just tried to book lower tier tickets for the Palace game and, much to my chagrin, only upper tiers are available – boo !

11. TERRY TRANSPLANT says:

Thanks Micky, a happy New year to you and all Didits.

Some quick observations

1) Jack Wilshere was excellent. The guy was born to play football and can play both deep and forward. I fully expect that once he finishes his football a career in politics beckons.

2) Theo can look a shit footballer at times, but he is the best shit footballer I have ever seen, even better than John Wark. He walks into this side, and I adore him.

3) Nic Bentdner is a man of incredible narcissistic qualities that I relate to and admire. He looks so unfit., Probably smoking King Edward cigars and inhaling so deeply that the smoke emits outward from an unwanted orifice, but once in the penalty box he is a threat.

4) Pod struggles as a loan striker. Hes more the elusive type, sneaking up behind you whilst your counting money. I reckon he would prefer 442. He needs someone to keep a lookout whilst breaking in.

5) The conditions were terrible for football. Luckily I played a tactical blinder, applying super glue to the syrup and long lasting moisturizer to the face.

6) Per Mertsackers mentality is incredible. A great desire to win. He reminds me of our center backs of old. Ruthless determination on the pitch but nice guy off it.

Top comment Terry

Transplant,
    Happy and Good things to you and yours, also.

“Theo…..is the best shit footballer I have ever seen”
    Stunning :-)

I agree. I think he’s completely useless and some things, but, and it’s one of my bigger buts, he keeps scoring.

Raddy

Here’s one for us. More stories about Remy and Berbatov.

15. 26may1989 says:

Nice report, DidIt, just needs a few emoticons to spice it up!

Terry, love that one. “The best shit footballer I have ever seen” – brilliant, and something around which the Theo lovers and haters can unite.

Just as against Newcastle, the substitutions were excellent yesterday – remember when the Wenger baters accused him of not being a good tactician or knowing how and when to change up? Six points in the last two games says otherwise.

And Rosicky deserves a mention, he had a great impact when he came on.

16. Norfolk Gooner says:

‘morning AAers, Oh what a beautiful morning!! The sun has got his hat on! I’m riding along on the crest of a wave! See! I can do music references too.

Well done Micky, a great match report and none of that tactics b****x or boring stats.

Who’d have thought it Niklas Bendtner getting a standing ovation at the Emirates. That must be the shortest time any player has spent a the peak of his career. On at 64 minutes, a winning goal and off injured just 24 minutes later. The lad is out now until almost the end of the transfer window so I guess Arsene will be looking even harder for a new striker.

Farewell Nik?

17. 26may1989 says:

“one of my bigger buts” – that one had my 8-year old son sniggering. I must beat his fondness for Americanisms out of him.

Very funny to see Moyes complaining about Webb not awarding MU a penalty when Lloris took out Young – he’s right that the pen should’ve been given but just how many times in the last 20 years have United been given soft ones, especially at Old Trafford and especially by Howard Webb? The fact that it was Young who was fouled makes it funnier.

18. The boy who cried wolf, eh Mr 26 ?

Funny how none of the Old Toilet prawn sandwich munching plastics forget things like when Arshavin was cleared out by that clogging numpty Darren Fletcher who then handled the ball – no PK.

Guess who was the ref that day ? You guessed it, Mike Fornicating Dean(who went on to award ManUre a PK for another Shrek dive).

19. 26may1989 says:

You got it, Chary.

I assume Poldi will start up front again on Saturday. Might have been a damp squib yesterday (literally and metaphorically) but I’m pleased he’ll get another go. He’s a quality striker who hasn’t had much of a shake to play there while with us (though Terry is probably right, he likely does work better as a 442 striker than a lone striker). Plus he’ll have much more space to work with against Spurs, who don’t have a very convincing bunch of defenders at the best of times and who are now set up in a more swashbuckling, Harry Redknapp way.

I felt sorry for the fans who got wet yesterday – but since the rain stopped precisely with the row in front of me, I felt pretty cosy.

20. 26may1989 says:

Was interesting watching Gary Medel yesterday – his physique couldn’t look less naturally athletic but he does read the game really well. He hardly seems to run, and lets others do the work going forward; instead, he just finds his spot in front of the defence and organises from there.

21. 26may1989 says:

OK, off out, have a lovely day everyone.

Nice feelings MD89.

Geez it’s cold here in London, Ontario. Minus 17c and with the wind added it’s the equivalent of minus 27c – now that’s cold brrrrrr. We are also expecting 7 to 10 centimeters of snow, lucky I don’t have to do any shoveling.

Oh for a life up in the Northern Hemisphere?

Well at least reading about Arsenal gives me a warm feeling. I’m going to have a lazy day and not even put my nose outside the door – first up an hour on the cycling machine, next read some more stories on AA them make a 9 bean soup with veggies for tonight’s dinner.

23. IanRealGunner says:

Yesterday felt like the QPR game last year – the 1-0 was even more enjoyable that with our last gasp winner, Arteta was offside, Hughes was still skulking on the touchline with his arms in the air, and that Sz also managed to pull off a wonder save from Mackie to seal the points

What a smashing match report, Didit, very enjoyable. :-)

Just been scouting the Spanish League for a striker. There is number 7 at Real Madrid who is desperate to move due to a Monkey infestation in the dressing room

I think we could pick him up cheap – a few mill and a lifetime supply of hair wax

26. Bayonne Jean says:

Didit, I also was left scratching my head (which is now bereft of hair, so I have to pick my spots) over Sagna’s free kick. Why not have Arteta take it? Arteta of the “small feet”, who hit a pile driver vs. Villa a while back from about the same distance?

Webb must have been pissed about not getting his annual Christmas bonus from the Purple Proboscis….

27. arnie says:

Fantastic report, Micky, the way you capture the spirit of the game is really amazing. Great stuff!!!! :D :D :D

Yes, job well done yesterday. But now we are in a bit of a trouble. Whether Poldi can function as a lone CF is a big question mark. Giroud out, Bendy out as well. Oh dear!!! I think now Arsene will be in the hunt for a stop gap arrangement.

Thankfully, Saturday its only Spurs, and then we play only on the Monday after. Enough time to invent a plan B. It will be curious to see what this plan will be. Onwards and upwards!!!!!

Great write-up Micky – most amusing.

But given that you contemplate only two versions of sex, might a suggest a trip to the North Cornish Library to pick up a copy of The Kama Sutra. It might also include some extra uses for that skipping rope…

Now here’s an interesting thing… at the start of last January we were 18 points behind ManUre.

Today, at the start of this January, we are 11 points ahead of them.

A +29 points swing in our favour over the champions over the last 12 months is quite extraordinary and tells the story of our rise and their demise.

When even Webbo is not performing for them, you know they’ve got problems.

Terry
    Just genius.
    “…even better than John Wark.”
    “He needs someone to keep a lookout whilst breaking in.” :D :D :D

Damn.
    Bloggus Farticus.

I’m Farticus!

33. arnie says:

ha ha, Rocky!!!! Terry, just classic!!!!! :D :D

I love this clip because it shows (a) what an excellent finish it was for Bendtner’s goal (he could easily have blasted it at the ‘keeper but had the composure to lift it over him) and (b) Flamini’s reaction on the bench…

arnie
    You’re supposed to say “No, I’m Farticus!”

Congratulations on the Michigan win. Did you watch it?

Blog farting is nothing, Rocky.

I have grown to enjoy taking a lovely, big and very gentle horse called Geronimo out for a ride most days, and staying just outside Wichita I can sometimes go for mile after mile without seeing a soul.

Now that is grand farticus farticae. :-)

38. arnie says:

Ha ha, Rocky, great fun. Yes, we were holed into the basement with plenty of drink and food, and watched the game there. The weather outside was terrible. Great fun!!!!!

Great achievement, all the more incredible because the captain was suspended because of disciplinary reasons. Great great show. :D :D

39. arnie says:

Slipped and slided all the way to work today, busy day, and then just to enhance the fun off tomorrow to upstate Michigan, to enjoy even more of the snow and ice!!!! :D :D :D

40. Wonderful report Micky, full of my kind of feelings ;)

But, no question, YOU are definitely Farticus.

arnie just does not qualify. Can you imagine a kilt wearing Indian professor with that nomenclature — it is just not dignified — what would his students think? :-)

Don’t let him bully you, arnie.

Barmy arnie – barmy arnie. :-)

Be careful Redders. Geronimo was quite the scourge of the US Cavalry back in the day…

43. Mega moan coming up here …… not about you lot …….. there are loads of tickets on sale for the game on Saturday but they are category A prices!!!!!!

I think that’s a bit mean of the club to charge top prices just because it’s against the swamp dwellers. Cheapest seats £62.00 rising to £87.50 and £287.00 for club level.

44. arnie says:

Redders: you are right, I dont think I qualify!!!!!! :sad: sufficiently barmy though, I think, is acceptable!!!!! :D :D :D

Right if you haven’t seen this….you don’t know what you’re missing:

Contains a swear but it’s from the mouth of Per….guess what swear it is?

47. Hi Peachy, I noticed that too, and just as annoying is not making the Palace game a category C, I mean they are hardly a top draw side are they ?

48. evonne says:

I am very old and did cast my mind back, but nothing. I cannot remember shagging for 47minutes and nothing, taking a long break and sweating it for another 43 minutes; being kicked and punched, and going back for more.

No, sorry DidIt, I am just glad that our paths never crossed.

It was one of the least enjoyable games this season. Ok. we won, but waiting for it was excruciating not just for me, but for those watching with me, for Wenger and cold and wet fans. An experience not to be repeated.

At the same time I could not think of a better way to start a promising year.

49. evonne says:

don’t know what you are on about Peaches, I got a ticket for £50 :)

50. arnie says:

For those who are interested, highlights of the Rose Bowl last night. http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=340010127 Off topic, apologies.

51. evonne – JC is very generous ;)

52. arnie says:

Evonne: what a fantastic new year gift!!!!! :D :D :D

Here are some predictions:

Theo will finish the season as our top scorer
    Ozil will have the most assists in the league
    Manure won’t make top four
    We won’t sign a striker in January
    Arsenal will knock Bayern out of the CL

I believe all the above to be true …. how many do you think I’ve got wrong?

54. arnie says:

Rasp: Brilliant.

You have my vote on all of those, though I am personally a little bit twitchy about the last one!!!!! :D :D

Only one wrong Rasp, AW will extend Old Nic’s contract when he gets over his injury and AW will say it’s just like a new signing!!

:) GN5, I was just thinking about what may surprise us in the second half of the season. Of the few I quickly jotted down, only Ozil to get the most assists seems nailed on.

No, I’m Farticus

No, Micky’s Farticus

I’m probably alone in this, but having said we won’t sign a striker in January ….. I’d take Berbatov, for the following reasons:

1. He can play proper football – just imagine him with Ozil and Santi
    2. He’d only be 2m and we’d probably use him as a sub
    3. Contrary to popular opinion, he can hold the ball up really well
    4. He’s suited to our style of play and can change a game
    5. He’d have something to prove and would want another shot at CL football

Rasp. I wouldn’t,

We have yet to see how Pod will play when Ozil is in the team. It would be better to learn how to play without a “point-man”

61. Norfolk Gooner says:

Peaches/Rasp, Post e-mailed.

I’m a fan of the Pod, but I’ve yet to see him be effective playing centrally. I think he’s fine on the left and Theo’s best position is wide right. Bendy is the closest thing we have to Giroud as far as a big man in the middle is concerned but Berbatov would bring a bit more technique to the position and in so doing produce a different option.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not campaigning for us to sign him, just saying it would be interesting to see what he could bring to the team.

Thanks NG …. I bet you struggled to find anything to write about this last week :lol:

64. Norfolk Gooner says:

I only saw the extended highlights on Sky and they seemed to spend more camera time on Vincent Tan and some little Norwegian boy sitting beside him in the posh seat than they did on the game.

I must say I felt sorry for the wet fans and would have much sympathy for them had they decided to leave early and so miss the climax to a game that up until then had been a very damp squib.

I thought Jack Wilshere was terrific.

I agree with that Rasp, it would be interesting and I am sure he would jump at the chance. However, AW is very anti-smoking!

I like the idea of taking a player on loan, a very expensive loan would be even better, perhaps we could loan Soldado – AW would make a proper CF out of him

66. Norfolk Gooner says:

Rasp, honest toil has it’s own reward…………or so we are led to believe. :D

67. Norfolk Gooner says:

BR, even Le Professeur can’t make a silk striker out of a pigs a***e.

68. Norfolk Gooner says:

One too many stars in that, it should be a**e of course.

69. jnyc says:

Like a scene from a bad film. The arrogant player who vowed never to play for us again, injures himself while saving the day for us.
    but, even in his cameos this season, i have noted his super hard work, while others said he was playing lazy and not trying. Hes obviously been showing giroud type effort all over the pitch, and saying the right things also, as expected.
    even if we pull in another striker this month, old saint Nik is staying til the end of the year, because he is a like for like replacement to do girouds big striker job if ollie gets injured.
    thats how i see it, and im sure arsene does too. Whoever comes in would be a different type of striker anyway.

No, no, I can hold myself in no longer – and it has nothing to do with too much Xmas fare.

I am not too old and neither am I able to refer to myself as a youth, which, initially, prohibited me from asking Micky what the sod he is going on about as he appeared to be addressing those in that broad age group, but like any geyser I have, occasionally, got to blow my lid, as none of you other smarty pants are prepared to take the plunge to complain about the paucity of info – so here goes.

I have never engaged in ‘tantric sex’, nor am I able to count Pamela Anderson among my friends or acquaintances, so my plea is a threefold request as follows ;

a) What the sod is tantric sex all about – apart from staying apart from the ‘other party’ and mentally masturbating. (Is that allowable?).

b) A ‘Pamela Anderson’ seems self explanatory, but how the stuff does Micky know her?

c) What is left for those who do not fall into the age groups intimated in the Post? Abstinence? Bollix to that.

Out with it, Micky — well not ‘it’ exactly, but your wisdom and great technical knowledge on the matters to hand — and don’t spare the horses!

NG,

‘a silk striker out of pigs annae’.

Plural of annus = annae [Latin don't you know - well yes, you do, otherwise you would not have said ] :-)

72. jnyc says:

Come on Rasp, dont hedge, :-) if you had to make the call, would you take Berbatov this week? I would, i would have Arsene feel him out in a conversation about his desire and interest.
    we all know arsene is one of THE most respected men in the world of football. So i think that a player who promises him to work hard would really try not to disappoint him. Plus a chance to look like the final piece to the puzzle that could end in a trophy, and a couple champions league experiences for fun also.
    these things could be true motivators to get the most from him.
    and i agree, it would be interesting to see what he would bring. A sharpshooter like vP who would have poldi, theo, cazorla around him, as Arsene planned. Not to mention ozil. And finally a finisher to come in late when we need a goal. We havent had that for so long. A slight upgrade on chamakh in that department. ;-)

also, any big additions Arsene makes at this point or in the next year or two, would cement the narrative that he guided us through troubled times when there was obviously no real money, and as soon as we got on our feet financially, he took us back where we should always be– one of the very best teams in the world.

Hi Redders, trust you are well.

Micky will probably explain but I thought that Tantric sex is were you turn your back on your partner for half an hour and then have a kip. My wife loves it.

My wife also taught me the the Pamela Anderson. Its exactly the same as the tantric, except when you turn your back you are supposed to fall asleep imediately.

Micky great match feelings…..love the love analogy.

As for Berba rumour….Twitter suggests it is bollix and has the time span like this:

Perry Groves in the Star on Saturday : you could pick up someone like Berbatov for £2m

Four days later the Sun : Arsenal line up £2m bid for Berbatov.

Now what would I do….offer £40m for Rooney, make it very public and watch Wayne do everything possible to make the move happen starting by criticising Moyes in public.

Not too bad, Terry, darling, thank you. :-)

I have told Geronimo all about you, and you are the one person in all the world that he wants to meet. He feels that you share a lot in common — anyway he is scared of that furry, blue Cockie because he thinks he is kinky!!

And you can get us both tickets!!!! :-)

Hi GIE,

I saw your comment re 4 x 4 ‘s and their sneaky way of going downhill under control.

My vehicle was a flatbed truck and I am sure it was based on a 4 x 4, SUV, but had a lot of ‘attitude’. :-) Anyway, it kept me safe, and I kissed it when I took it back to the rental people. :oops:

78. click says:

Man Utd have managed just one win against a top 9 side.

RA,

Being a simple sex type of old git I had to look up tantric sex. It’s a very lengthy process – but at least I now understand why my ladies all fell asleep……………..

That explains it RA it was a rental…..the fastest cars known to man :D

81. 26may1989 says:

Berbatov? Wouldn’t be upset to sign him but we can do better than that. He has a good touch etc, but he’s gone from being a ponderous mover to be almost static.

I’d love us to recruit someone whose game is all about movement, whether a forward or one of the more direct AMs. Suarez isn’t going to happen, of course. Rooney? That would be great but even with maximum internal pressure from the hypothetically motivated player, I can’t see how United could cope with the politics of that sale mid-season. In the summer, perhaps we could try to prise Shrek away then.

The player I’d love us to go for would be Juan Mata. His career is being killed by Mourinho, nothing better than joining Wenger to sort that out. Having a player like Mata, with him driven by a desire to prove his worth, would add some real drive to our attacking play. I know, I know, he’s not a striker, but I’d still love to say the little beardie in the red and white.

Anyway, none of it is going to happen, as has been foretold by the resident seer (the one known as Rasp), there will be no signing of an attacker this transfer window.

82. fatgingergooner says:

Berbatov would be a decent short term option as he would suit our style of play and is eligible for the CL. The only slight worry would be his personality within a hard working group of players, but I’m sure he’d be fine.

I also believe we have a space in our squad for a quality left winger. Podolski is an excellent player and works his socks off, but to have a player with pace and goals on the left would give us an extra dimension up front. Espescially against teams that park the bus. It may also take a bit of pressure off Giroud if we have another 15 goal a year man. Maybe we already have that player in Ox. I hope so.

83. An interesting insight into the home win against the Welsh Boyos Mr. Didit. TANtric is a word that can easily be attributed to their efforts yesterday. For a long time they refused to be penetrated. Sting would be proud, but only the realisation that a good climax is enough kept us going and we came good – Twice.
    Arsenal are responding well to other teams assuming the top spot.
    The title is ours to lose. So I will pose a question that some on this site will think impertinent. Indeed, I may not even be seen to be an important contributor here but here goes. Does it not concern you that the Smudgy one, the lousy dis-respectful Portugese who is again with the Chavs still hold a hand above our esteemed Arsene?
    Please tell me that we will beat them at the Bridge. Our efforts so far this season must not be in vain. Above all else, we want this title.

Tony, :-)

Vey funny TC :)

Oh, and we will beat them at The Bridge…

Terry @ 5:54

Sorry about the delay in replying, but piggybacking on my friend’s US wifi (I’m a cheapskate, and he is very clever) onto the one I had in the UK is never very stable and well ….. god knows what is going on.

Wichita linesman where are you for fcuk’s sake? :-)

Tony “if” Chelsea go out of CL and FAC and are looking second best to us and Shitty…..how long will he have under Abramovich?

As for potential strikers to replace Ollie during his injury lay off I would like to look at what it is we need.

I think our style of play requires a striker who can play with his back to goal and towards goal equally well. He has to be unselfish and prepared to work hard to win possession offensively and defensively…

For me Pod is a facing goal forward, as was BSR.

So looking around the PL who can play like that?

Drogba….cheeky but funny if we got him
    Lambert….would not like to spend time on the bench as that is happening for him at S’oton but he is an intelligent player and a bit of a lump. Plays a similar style to us.
    Chamakh ……joking :D

GIE, @ 6:56

I had never thought of that before, but now you mention it, rentals do seem to go very fast!!

Especially downhill in the Rockies!! :-)

89. jnyc says:

GIE, I love your rooney idea!!! That’s what I call fun.

90. fatgingergooner says:

Isn’t there some sort of 75% tax bracket that’s just been applied in France?

Falcao, Cavani or Ibrahimovic in the summer would nice. Expensive, but nice!

Redders
    He’s still on the line :)

92. arnie says:

Redders @ 8:13, GiE @ 6:56: ha ha. :D :D :D I do not have a car in the US, rent a car whenever we are here, I know exactly what you mean!!!!

Rocky, :-)

Gotta go, guys — getting damned cold here with the temp below freezing I guess, but still v. sunny.

See y’all. :-)

Be careful driving, arnie!! :-)

95. jnyc says:

Watching the match now, , Jack was assaulted in the box. What is happening with the officiating. Where is the outrage from the media. Commentators agreed penalty.
    And all these wrong offsides calls are also hurting the sport and product. People love great goals and assists, , and so many exciting plays are being called back. Imagine a 6-5 affair Between Arsenal and city, , top teams and fun games!!!Also would show Chelsea for the boring side they really are.

Jnyc I am totally confused by the offside rule nowadays, a few years back they decided benefit if the doubt to the striker and there had to be “daylight” between centre forward and defender. But now it seems we are back to “any part of the body that can play the ball ahead of the defender”. Which is a virtually impossible call.

I would really like the people who have brought us goal line technology to come up with some way of electronically monitoring players position and then as ball played forward we all know where they are. That gets closer to video replay but with so much money in football would it be that expensive to have one bloke watching the screen?

The 4th official could easily be the person that reviews specific plays. I like the NFL rule where each team manager has the right to have a specific amount (I forget how many) of plays reviewed and only certain decisions can be reviewed.

My understanding was that the clear daylight thing was a made up media concept, that’s to say it was never really a rule. 26 will know about this.

Perhaps I am old fashioned but I like shouting at officials for bad decisions ……… As long as they go in our favour

100. arnie says:

Thanks, Redders, yes will have to be very careful!!!!! :D :D :D

You may be right LB…..it makes sense that if the Asst Ref was to look across and see clear daylight after ball played he is more likely to give it…clearly angles of sight..time to look after ball played forward…mean there will always be an element of guesswork, there are times where this doesn’t work…a solidly held line and a run from deep can often result in a player looking clearly offside but subsequent replays will prove he is yards onside.

Maybe that’s why we are getting a lot of calls this season as BFG is organising a very disciplined back line that is not often found chasing back or dropping off after the ball is played for fear of it not being given.

102. 26may1989 says:

@Exile 8.12pm: You’re right, we are built for the back-to-goal striker. And I really do think we should look no further than the Danish one for the back-up for the remainder of the year. He has enough quality and I think we’re seeing enough from him to suggest he’s put his attitudinal demons away, at least for a while.

And if he were to leave in the summer, on a Bosman, and we were able to recruit a tax-dodging Cavani or Falcao, amazing.

On the offside rule, LB’s right, the daylight thing never happened. But the bit about any part of the body other than the arm counting for offside purposes is explicitly set out in the FIFA guidelines to the laws of the game.

JNYC, you’re right, the foul on Wilshere did deserve a penalty. But then Monreal’s handball in the second half likely did too. There’s always going to be some imperfections in decision-making, but it’s only officials’ incompetence of the order shown in the games City played against us and Liverpool that I get really wound up. One or perhaps two big decisions wrong is one thing, but in each of those games it was three, four, five, and that affected the results in both matches.

Anyway, apparently Ollie is in contention for a place against the Spuds this weekend.

Crisis over!

104. 26may1989 says:

Cite your source, Mr Rock, cite your source!

Er… I read it on the interwebby?
    :oops:

106. 26may1989 says:

OK, that’ll do for me, Olly’s in the team for Saturday.

Night all, especially those freezing their nuts off in North America.

Goodnight 26

-20 in Toronto tonight. Wind chill makes it -30.

I took Dennis the dog for a walk about an hour ago. He was as eager to get back home as I was.

108. arnie says:

Rocky: walking the dog is not my forte, but I went outside for a fag. wrong idea!!!!!! It is not so bad here, about -10, but snowing.

Arnie
    We’ve had light now falling all day. Nothing too bad.

The cold is OK if you’re properly wrapped up – and now I’m home with a log fire going strong :)

Do you follow any other North American sports Arnie?

111. arnie says:

Rocky: baseball as well, but rather selectively.

112. arnie says:

I dont follow ice hockey or basketball

I like NFL and the NBA.

I’ve tried with baseball but find it hard to get interested.

Hockey is also a “thanks but no thanks”.

114. arnie says:

For me, baseball is less exciting than cricket. I follow golf, perhaps not surprising given that I live mainly in Scotland.

I’ve played a little bit if gold but certainly wouldn’t qualify as ‘a golfer’.

I don’t often watch it on TV but I can get quite excited by the Ryder Cup.

*of golf :roll:

Trying to get back into NBA, BT Sport will put a lot of games on here but I just don’t know the names anymore so have no affinity when watching. It seems also to have lost some of its franchise legends. When Jordan, O’Neal, and co were the some of the biggest names in sport the sport had top billing, without big names it seems to have dropped down the pecking order?

Motning Exile

How excited are we by the FAC?

For me, it lost much of it’s appeal the moment they started playing the semis at Wembley.

As a child, used to love watching the entire day on telly. Team hotels, breakfast, trains of fans chugging about the countryside.

Morning Micky….I think that special day of the FA Cup is what is missing, without 24 hour sports coverage and self produced media comment it was one of the few times we got a glimpse into the lives of a footballer, so from what 9/10am we would have coverage from the team hotel, cameras and interviewers on the Team Buses, interviews on the pitch when the players walked out in their new suits, travelling with fans etc etc. all on prime time TV….we have so much coverage now that if a TVcompany was to do it we wouldn’t watch it.

However if the question is about it being worth winning the answer is undoubtedly yes, 6 games to win a trophy. Much easier than winning the PL but a bit more luck needed.

Agree with all of that, but I ‘d love to see the League Cup scrapped, as apart from less fixtures, it would help improve the allure of The FAC

League Cup is just less relevant with CL (as opposed to EC with one club per country) and Europa, which I’d also scrap :-)

121. Chas says:

Super match report, Micky.
    Even MOTD said the Monreal one couldn’t be given as handball as it came up off Nacho’s foot.
    Case proven for the defence, m’lud.

But MotD commentator also said there was contact with Oscar so should be a penalty….numpty.

Best piece if play this weekend was Leon Osmsn

123. Chas says:

Different idiotic commentator, GIE.

Few of them understand the rules. Take the Ashley Young penalty not given by Webb. Anywhere on the pitch that is a foul and a card, Michael Owen and his fellow commentator said it wasn’t a pen nor a foul.

I understand that they work in a stressful environment where they have to give immediate judgements but in slo-mo on repeat surely it is possible to re-assess?

Best to watch with the sound off or in an unintelligible language

125. evonne says:

Dear DidIt, could you kindly stop undermining the FA cup only because you cannot go to the game tomorrow?

skipped all the offside comments; took me years to grasp the concept and I won’t let you confuse me agai

126. Motning all, so Wenger has given us the injury news for Evonne’s £50 treat and Olly’s ankle apparently wasn’t too bad but now he “is sick” and “90% out” while Özzy has a fitness test today.

Rambo, Bendy and Gibbs are all out and the Berbatov link has been poo-poo’d by Wenger.

Morning all

Firstly the FA Cup is our tradition in England and now it is spread over three days just to satisfy the TV companies which is scandalous.

We basically play too much football in this country and a winter break even of two weeks such as Spain would be more than welcome even though I maybe contradicting myself with the traditional Boxing Day fixtures.

I would exclude any club who are playing in the CL or Europa Cup from the League Cup.

I would reduce the PL to 18 teams with two being relegated

With regards to fouls what is the difference if a foul is in the third minute or 63rd minute as more often or not the ref’s just waves a finger if it is in the third minute

I would abolish the two idiots who stand behind each goal in European matches as they do absolutely nothing.

With regards to Evonne’s comment about 43 minutes of sex I presume the TV was on, it was the second half of the game, therefore it was perfect timing to see both our goals against Cardiff :).

128. ..and somewhat ominously he said that his transfer plans depend on Bendtner.

Huh ?

129. evonne says:

Kelsey – you are very naughty! It was Didit who compared our last game to a sadomasochistic marathon love making.

Chary – are you going tomo?

We have a New Post ………………………

131. No Evonne, I’m not going tomorrow as I’ll be darned if I’m paying around £65 for a FA Cup game.

I was supposed to be going to the Cottagers game but that fell through so my next one is Palace.

132. dandan says:

One for you to saver Mickey. Brian Glanville The Times

Fear and loathing in North London: Arsenal v Tottenham Hotspur 65 years ago
    Brian Glanville
    Updated 59 minutes ago
    Recalling the first FA Cup meeting between Arsenal and Tottenham and the roots of a fierce North London rivalry
    It was in January 1949 that Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur first faced each other in the country’s premier domestic Cup competition. Then, as now, it was in the third round with Arsenal playing host at Highbury, their former home ground.
    In 1949, expectation and excitement were high in North London, not so much in terms of the teams’ respective merits – Arsenal had won the Championship in the 1947-48 season while Spurs were still in the second division – but in terms of the clubs’ somewhat turbulent history.
    Added to which was the piquant fact that Tottenham’s manager was none other than Joe Hulme, a notable Middlesex cricketer and, more pertinently, a fast and famous former Arsenal outside right in their dominant inter-war years.
    Relations between the clubs were tense ever since, in 1913, Arsenal had crossed the Thames from Plumstead as Woolwich Arsenal to set up home at Highbury, so close to Tottenham’s ground at White Hart Lane.
    Had Arsenal’s chairman and autocratic benefactor, Sir Henry Norris, had his way, his club would have amalgamated with Fulham, but the Football Association would not allow it.
    Adding insult to injury, when football officially resumed after the First World War in 1919, Norris connived with John McKenna, president of the Football League and Liverpool chairman, to promote Arsenal to the first division, even though they had finished only fifth in the previous second division table.
    His reasoning was that they had been a league member longer than Tottenham, who were duly relegated.
    A crowd of almost 48,000 attended Highbury – surprisingly smaller than the expected capacity of 60,000.
    There was another surprise in the team line-ups when Hulme inexplicably dropped the motor of his attack, the quicksilver Eddie Baily, replacing him with a little-known reserve called Henry Gilberg. He was pretty anonymous as a factor in the game.
    Worse still, Ronnie Burgess, Tottenham’s Wales left half and captain, indulged himself with frequent forays into attack and left huge gaps to be exploited by Jimmy Logie, the 5ft 4in inspiration in Arsenal’s attack.
    Logie ran the vulnerable defence ragged and Arsenal ran out 3-0 winners, the goals scored by Ian McPherson, Don Roper and Doug Lishman, a powerful inside left who had been rescued from third division obscurity at Walsall.
    Later that year, Arthur Rowe took over the managerial reins at Tottenham and introduced the revolutionary push and run tactics that saw Baily and the newly-arrived Alf Ramsey excel.