Nicholas Bendtner and the Second Coming.

So we remain top of the league in December and still no one expects us to win it. I kind of like the fact that so many are predicting that we will fall away; it really takes the pressure off. This will change, of course, when we beat City and Chelsea in the next couple of weeks. But I am getting ahead of myself, silly me; I forgot that we will, of course, beat Napoli before hand.

Tell me, did this same Hull team really beat Liverpool 3-1 on the weekend — really? Because they were pants, Championship fodder if ever I have seen some this season.

Steve Bruce may have ordered a bus and tried to park it on our eighteen yard line but only a mini bus arrived. The Good Guys just blew them away with Wengerball of the highest calibre. I think you could probably count on one hand the amount of times that Hull touched the ball in the first twenty minutes such was the control and domination that Arsenal had over their opponents.

It all started so well, Wenger made predictable changes with one exception. As I took to my seat with fifteen minutes to go I could hear the groans from people as they filed in having realised that Bendtner was starting. I have a certain amount of sympathy for his behaviour; he is tall, handsome, obviously a good footballer at school, got a great contract with Arsenal, has Danish Princesses throwing themselves at him, not to mention the women every time he goes into a night club; I mean, are you sure that you could stop yourself thinking that you were God’s Gift to football if that were you? I am a humble person by nature but I do have a soft spot for Danish Princesses.

Anyway, cometh the hour, cometh the man or should I say cometh the end of a contract, cometh the first signs of some determination.

Big Nicky shut every one of his critics up after just two minutes when Jenkinson sent in one of his trade mark quality crosses for our Dopey Dane to head home from six yards out and boy did he celebrate. It was a fine goal, it settled the nerves and it was clear that the game plan was going to be played out in exactly the way that Wenger had anticipated.

Nik scores v Hull

It is easy now to think that as Hull were so weak it was the perfect opportunity to start with Bendtner but I think there is more to it as I still expect him to be sold in January; the reason being, that his contract ends in the summer, we are not going to give him a new one so he will be able to leave for free. That being the case; the club know that it is far better to get something for him while they can in the January transfer window rather than nothing four months later.

The other thing to remember is that he has played for Birmingham on loan under Steve Bruce and I think Sunderland; they have a history. So I also think there was a lot of “trial” about the decision to start with him last night. We will see, but the most interesting thing about this if it does turn out as I suggest is that Arsenal will buy another striker and that is not might, that is, they will have to and as we all know the signing of a new striker is always exciting.

Back to the game, we were totally dominant in the first half and should have had a hat full but we went into the break with only one goal to show for our effort and while there is only one goal difference in any game there is always the possibility that the opposition could score a lucky equaliser. I am trying to add drama to this aren’t I and I am probably failing. This tension I am trying to create lasted all of two minutes from the restart when Ramsey rolled the ball into the path of Özil to slot home from less than five yards out.

Job done; everyone relaxed and spent the next half an hour looking at the scores of the Chelsea and City games on their smart phones. The substitutions were made with the customary twenty minutes to go. So much for resting Özil, a full ninety minutes for him. Wilshere, Walcott and Arteta came on for a kick about as we saw the game out in an orderly fashion. While I am on a team selection roll I will predict this: Walcott will start up front against Napoli, the Italians have to score three so they will come onto us leaving acres of space and when there is space it’s always Theo time.

This was a comfortable win on a cold night;  the first time in a while we could sit back and allow our finger nails to recover and we need to as they are going to be chewed to the stumps in the coming weeks.

Written by LB

68 Responses to Nicholas Bendtner and the Second Coming.

LB. You really are very good at this. Better than anything in the papers this morning.

If I were looking to spend a few mill in January, I would be concerned about NB missed sitter from the rebound but as you say he put in a shift.

I, too, have a penchant for dansk kvinde!

2. Räsp says:

What a beautifully constructed journey through the game that is LB, thank you :P

Nik took his goal very well and then squandered a couple of easier chances in typical fashion – I like your theory that we may have ‘sold’ him to Hull last night … stranger things have happened.

We were on a different dimension to Hull yesterday and could/should have won by 5 or 6. We took on Hull who were buoyed after beating pool, and similarly on Sunday we will have a pumped up Everton to contend with. As long as we approach that game with the same fluency and intensity as the first 50 minutes last night, we should win.

Our early dominance in games has to produce a goal or two otherwise everyone gets too nervy. The difference is that recently we have been getting the early goal.

I don’t think we’ll be buying a striker in January. The acquisition of players as important as strikers should be performed over the summer (early if possible). A loan deal is still a possibility but it would be a slap in the face for Podolski. Sadly I think the Pod could also be on his way in the summer.

3. Räsp says:

I loved the ‘he scores when he wants’ song when Nik missed a bit of a sitter. I was impressed how supportive the fans were of Bendy.

I note that we now walk in a Wilshere wonderland – someone had better come up with a suitable song for Özil soon, he deserves the accolades.

Incidentally, Raddy and I noted that the same players stayed behind to applaud the supporters (those of us who stayed behind) one of whom we sang ‘Big F*&^%$g German’ to as he walked down the tunnel :)

4. Räsp says:

Last of my blog killing comments …… I believe we have now played 4 games without conceding a goal …. best defence in the league!

5. arnie says:

Great work, LB. And there was not even any “I told you so” about being the first (only one) to suggest that Bendy might play yesterday!!! Great stuff.

What a master stroke of genius playing Bendy was.

1. Hull were totally disoriented, having spent the whole week listening to Bruce strategies about how to deal with Ollie!!! ha ha ha

2. Trying to create some market value for Bendy, just at the time when you want to offload him. Hull and Bruce will be looking in awe and saying, well if Palace can use Chamakh, perhaps we can use Bendy as well!!

3. Telling Bendy this is his final chance. Getting him so desperate close to termination of contract that he starts going to the gym and getting himself fit and raring to go – the pumped fist and lion’s mane celebrations in tow.

And even if this clever plan does not work, the counterfactual is not too bad. Bendy stays, fans happy, Hull rendered rudderless, Ollie gets some rest, job well done. Hey ho!!!!

In between, the small matter of two fantastic passes by Rambo, creating the two goals.

Bendy was good. Monreal, I would say, was fantastic in attack and defence. Jenks was decent. Santi was good. Theo’s return continues, but not as quick as I had expected. Tangled legs and all that. And this is why I would say “Theo to start against Napoli” is a bit premature, perhaps. Ozil looked tasty. The rest very good as usual.

Job well done. Onwards to Everton, Napoli, Shitty and Chavs. On with the show!!!!

6. arnie says:

Sorry, reposted from 9:31 am

Evonne: Behind the sofa when the opposition attacks, which is seldom, or when Szcz goes for a save, which is even more rare!!!! :D :D

Motning all. Thanks AAers from across the pond. This is the third time I made the request and the first time I got some responses. Why are people so defensive about watching games “illegally”? It is an act of passion!!!!

Nice banter all. Enjoying, taking it all in. Winning is becoming a bit boring. Peaches, I will be happy to do a match report first time we lose net, provided of course that I got to watch the game!!!! :D :D

7. Räsp says:

I thought Monreal had a very good game, I can’t choose between our two LB’s, but my MoTM was Koscielny who was immense.

There was a time when they were making a break down the left and Per should have been favourite to get the ball, but he just slowed up and moved into space to admire kozzer as he made up 10 yards on the Hull winger, clipped the ball off his toes and spun round to pass the ball back to PM. The understanding between those two is fantastic and the main element to our defensive strength.

8. Norfolk Gooner says:

‘morning AAers,

Fine job with the match report LB, thank you.

I can’t add anything to this fine post as I haven’t seen the game, I’ve got it recorded to watch later, I was at my local Ex-Serviceman’s Club last night where they were showing the ‘Pool/Norwich game and I have to say that the Suarez performance was stunning, in fact Liverpool played the best I’ve seen them in years. They played at a really high tempo, their passing and running were really good and Suarez was unbelievable.

Never mind the Chavs and the Oilers, the Scousers, on this form, are going to be contenders.

9. TT says:

Very much enjoyed the slightly unusual match report, LB. Fine writing.

arnie, I think your observation regarding Walcott is spot on. Wenger mentioned that he was sick prior to Cardiff, and Monday he was sick again. Wenger was “never tempted to start him.” He mentioned that Walcott has had very little practice time.

Good call on Koscielny as MOTM

11. Thanks to Bendtner for his early goal. I love that guy but i dont know what is wrong with him. I wish gunner team best of luck. Up Gunners!!!

12. Räsp says:

Nice man Steve Bruce, you have to admire his honesty in this interview …

13. JanMan says:

Great report, thanks LB. Watched the game in my local sports Bar here in south Carolina. What a great start from NB. Perhaps he is hoping for a new contract? We had total control of the game and if there is any criticism to be made then it is only that we did not score more. Far more important is the fact that everyone came through unscathed. Too bad Sunderland could not hold on for at least a draw.

Fine report LB, didn’t see the first half but judging by possession stats for the first half I think you were a bit generous to Hull about their touches :)

I liked the fact that everyone went over to NikB to celebrate with him, BFG gave him an extra big cuddle and words. Makes me think he is not a lone wanderer.

And maybe that’s what I like about this team at the moment the fact that everyone seems to want each other to do well, hence the stunning assists and very few complaints if something doesn’t go to plan, a smile a shrug and we’ll get it right next time.

Ramsey’s two key passes as Arnie says were beautiful, the one to Jenkinson following a lovely reverse no look pass from TR7.

That kind of ability throughout the midfield and the bench will make us very difficult for the park the bus teams to breakdown, especially as a rasp says when coupled with an early goal to bring the opposition out.

I think the most likely player to depart is Theo, he will want to play, and he will play less now for us, especially when Ox another capable of going anywhere across the four is fit.

15. evonne says:

Fantastic piece of prose, thank you LB. Not much I can add to that, other than I was expecting a much tougher fixture. Hull didn’t really put much of a fight. Some would say that they gave us too much respect, well deserved of course. If that is the case then it seems that other teams are beginning to be scared of us, very scared. And that is just fan-bloody-tastic!

Dopey Dane and soft spot for Danish princesses made me laugh, very good :)

BTW, it is not funny when grownups hide behind sofas

16. Norfolk Gooner says:

Peaches/Rasp, Post e mailed, early in case of power failure.

17. Kgööner says:

much thanks LB for stepping up with a post match. Considering you went for the game and still got time to jot down a fine post if a say so myself. I personally appreciate the post, you and all the authors here on AA who continue to quench the thirst of avid readers and fans of arsenal ( and trolls too).

18. Good match report.You need to watch You Tube clip for Niicky Bend 45 goals 46 with last nights, keep him fit and hungry he could do a job for the Gunners. What you think guys ???? Lets hope the Arsenal can let us all have a Merry Xmas, just like the star/angel Top of the TREE COYG

Hello Garry

Is this the first time posting if so, in my unofficial capacity, welcome.

Hi Janman

It may be true that Bendtner is hoping for a new contract with us but I think the club would be foolish to give him one. He is too similar to Giroud but as we all know the Frenchman works twice as hard, offering more defensively in one game than has crossed Bendtner’s mind in his career to date. No, we need a Suarez type player, I don’t think we will get the Uruguayan any more but there are other similar options.

LB
    That really is a great piece of writing.
    This may sound as though I’m trying to worm an excuse, but my strengths lie in gap filling, desperate times utter drivel, whereas Match Reports deserve some respect, and you give it to them in spades.
    Thank you.

22. We’ve conceded 1 goal in 7 games, and that was from a corner!

That run includes games against United, Dortmund, Liverpool and Marseille.

Not only that, but if you look at how many chances the opposition actually had in those 7 games and you can see the improvement. We have allowed an average of only 3 shots on target per game.

Brilliant.

LB, your Post is first class.

If I might make a personal comment, I do not think I am alone in being mighty impressed with your recent Posts.

You write with great knowledge born of experience, and with a lucidity that draws the reader in, and that together with a gift for a telling phrase makes your articles enjoyably gripping, especially for those of us who did not see the game.

In the AA league of accomplished authors, you are now a contender for the top accolade. :-)

24. Great blog and article, keep it up. I too have just created a football blog, any chance you wouldn’t mind following it and checking it out? Thank you

FGG

Ah, but, at least one of those shots would be a goal in any other circs. other than they were against the best keeper in the league on the very top of his form.

It’s true :-)

That is high praise indeed RA

Thank you.

27. Arnie, assuming you are in NYC, you are more than welcome to pop into see us at Legends – Football Factory http://www.footballfactoryny.com/ on 33rd St & Fifth Ave, opposite the Empire State Building. SO you can encourage the family to do some sight seeing at the top or go to Macy’s while you have a beer or three and watch Arsenal try to stay on top of the heap. All of the games are shown there so it is much more of an “in the ground” away game atmosphere. It is where the group known as the NY Gooners meet up.
    Don’t worry, football over here has moved on from the 90’s when you could only get it in Spanish and the papers were a day late so it was impossible to get a live score.
    If you want to go to an all Arsenal pub, then the Blind Pig on 14th St and 3rd Ave is the place to go. It is more like those pubs on the Holloway Road where away supporters are frowned upon.

28. arnie says:

What would I do without AA? Usually, I read through the discussions of the morning crew over a cup of coffee, do my motning wish, and think about the discussions and the post on my way to work, which takes about an hour and quarter. Today was different.

Tried to leave a bit late to avoid the winds in the morning and congestion due to ice. But, oh dear, how wrong could I be? The first snow of the year is always disruptive. But there were gusty gales and swirling snow to boot, a deadly combination if there was one, apart from Arsenal’s attack. A good three hours in the car. If it was not for the early morning banter on AA, and LB’s fantastic post, it would have been very painful indeed! A big thank you to AAers!!!! :D :D

In the event, it was OK. The car held up well, climbing up hills, gliding on snow. For those not experienced with driving in Scotland, two things. First, we do not use snow tyres. Second, in the first week of snow, before the snow mixes properly with the grit, there is minimal grip, and the cars glide over the snow. Even on motorways, but coubntry roads are worse. Reminded of surfing anyone? :D And thinking of the discussion and the fantastic post made me smile all the way!!! :D :D

Am I veering off topic? What the heck! Back on course then. Rasp, I like the idea of Kos for MoTM. But for for his fantastic two passes, without which we would not have the goals, I would support joint Men of the Match to Kos and Rambo!

GiE: Would Theo get more chances to play in better teams? I am not convinced. If he is committed to the project, I would think he will stay, he will get a fair deal with Arsene. Well, otherwise …. :sad:

29. arnie says:

N5Art and Bayonne Jean: Not NY this time. But I go to NY once a year, so will remember. My second home is in Michigan. Will check out the Arsenal US site for pubs there, more likely in Chicago, which is OK. :D :D :D

Dhakka: might drop in a line on AA if I cannot find a good Robin-Hood booty!!!! :D :D :D

30. Arnie, one of my good mates Aaron is in Chicago, he is a Gooner and a good bloke. I’ll ask him which pub he goes to and get back to you

31. arnie says:

Fantastic, N5Art!!! :D :D

32. jnyc says:

Good report LB.
    so Ramsey had an excellent key pass (pre -assist) , and assist. More greatness.
    can anyone tell me if, in the past a player leading the league in tackles has ever had such good stats also in goals and assists? Must be very rare? Anyone even close?

33. jnyc says:

And i repeat from the other day. Tear up Ramseys contract, give him a raise, and put in monster size release clause. Bigger than Bale.

34. Bayonne Jean says:

Arnie: FYI is the list for Arsenal viewing pubs in the US. Michigan sites in Ann Arbor, Grand Rapids, Rochester Hills. Three in Chicago.

35. JanMan says:

Hello LB. I did not mean that we should give him a new contract in fact I am pretty sure we will let him go in January but I meant in his head that is what maybe he is playing for. On current form Suarez is the one we need to buy but I would guess we would have to make an outragius offer of 50-60 Mil. I am sure though that Mr. Wenger has a plan in mind :-)

36. JanMan says:

On the subject of where to view in the USA, virtually any quality sports bar will show EPL games (not always Arsenal) that depends on the cable provider.

37. Afternoon all, love the different style of match report London and thanks for your time in writing a candle lit special match report.

JanMan – Wenger was saying in the pre Hull press conference that he will use the Pod as the back up to Olly and that Sanogo is LAN (Like A New Signing).

This is prima facie evidence we will not be getting another striker in January, which added to the fact that not many teams will let the class of striker we need leave them mid season.

For that reason I suspect we will see a rotation of Olly, Theo and the Pod up front till the end of the season after which we will hopefully go for the World Class striker we need.

38. Arnie, My friend Aaron, says the Globe is the pub he goes to in Chicago to watch the Arse. If he is there you’ll recognise him by his shock of blonde hair and the similarity to Diego Forlan, although he won’t thank me for that last bit.

Good take Chary

I think your view is more logical than mine.

40. dhakka09 says:

Excellent post, LB. Reading your match-report is like reading Aesop’s fable when I was a kid, it felt nice and easy and heart-warming. Keep it up.

evonne: I wish I had the same luxury as you on the hiding-sofa front. Mine is heavy and backed-up all the way against the wall and the only way I can hide behind is if I blow a hole, vandalize the neighbor’s space and hide; mehh… too much work (all for nothing if we control the game again) :)

arnie: Few things match the pleasure of grabbing a decent quality streaming online and using an HDMI cable to connect it to the 50 inch-behemoth on living room while guffawing at breaking-news-type-scroll-bar beneath the screen that says “Only authorized for broadcasting in middle-east countries”. The only downside is having to listen to all the crap spewing out Andy Gray’s mouth during half-time, but I try my best to avoid it :)

41. evonne says:

dhaka – no Gunner needs to hide this season; i’m selling my settee to a spurs supporter

42. evonne says:

I have just checked the predictions we made a couple of months ago iro the next 10 games.

I am pleased to announce that 26m had 6 out of 10 results wrong, closely followed by GiE with 5 rubbish prediictions :)

Chas and Chary only had 2 results against them and therefore I declare them joint winners, congrats.

The loser, yes you 26m will have to write a post (please check small print in terms and conditions) of the competition.

Thanks, LB, for yet another belter.
    That first period of the game was strange. I haven’t seen such a one-sided affair since Quasimodo fancied Esmerelda.

Speaking of Quasimodo, Steve Bruce looked like he was having some banter with the Arse fans behind him. At one point it sounded as though the whole of that section was laughing. :)

I’m super rubbish at predictions, evonne, so it’s only fair that Chary wins. I usually just predict straight wins.
    The great thing is is that, so far this season and touch wood (no rude comments, please), if you do that, you aren’t too far away from what actually transpires. :)

45. dandan says:

Had a good afternoon, Eight foot high panel fencing and full grown Holly tree blown down in my garden and mixed up with the shrubbery dare not go out there till wind hopefully subsides in the morning. Serious flood warning on Lincolnshire river systems overnight, we should be OK but my famous chippy may get wrecked.
    Good luck AAers. Stay safe.

46. Charybdis1966 says:

Woo hoo, I won at something ! :) When do I pick up my prize Evonne? Although I think Chas should accept it jointly. As for the striker situation London, that is what should reasonably happen, but then no one saw Ozzy joining us so who knows.

After Quasimodo’s death, the bishop of the Cathedral of Notre Dame sent word through the streets of Paris that a new bell ringer was needed.

The bishop decided that he would conduct the interviews personally and went up into the belfry to begin the screening process.

After observing several applicants demonstrate their skills, he had decided to call it a day.
    Just then, an armless man approached him and announced that he was there to apply for the bell ringer’s job. The bishop was incredulous.

‘You have no arms !’

‘No matter,’ said the man. ‘Observe !’

And he began striking the bells with his face, producing a beautiful melody on the carillon.
    The bishop listened in astonishment; convinced he had finally found a replacement for Quasimodo.

But suddenly, as he rushed forward to strike the bell, the armless man tripped and plunged headlong out of the belfry window to his death in the street below.
    The stunned bishop rushed down two hundred and ninety five church steps, when he reached the street, a crowd had gathered around the fallen figure, drawn by the beautiful music they had heard only moment before.

As they silently parted to let the bishop through, one of them asked,

‘Bishop, who was this man ?’.

‘I don’t know his name,’ the bishop sadly replied,

‘ …………… BUT HIS FACE RINGS A BELL’

WAIT ! WAIT ! There’s more

The following day, despite the sadness that weighed heavily on his heart due to the unfortunate death of the armless campanologist, the bishop continued his interviews for the bell ringer of Notre Dame.

The first man to approach him said, ‘Your Excellency, I am the brother of the poor armless wretch that fell to his death from this very belfry yesterday.
    I pray that you honour his life by allowing me to replace him in this duty.’

The bishop agreed to give the man an audition, and, as the armless man’s brother stooped to pick up a mallet to strike the first bell, he groaned, clutched at his chest, twirled around, and died on the spot.

Two monks, hearing the bishop’s cries of grief at this second tragedy, rushed up the stairs to his side.

‘What has happened ? Who is this man ?’ the first monk asked breathlessly.

‘I don’t know his name,’ sighed the distraught bishop, ‘but…’

(. . . Wait for it …)

(.. . . It’s worth it.. ..)

‘HE’S A DEAD RINGER FOR HIS BROTHER.’

48. evonne says:

what about walking your dog Dandan? I ran my canine crew through the woods avoiding falling branches, brrrrr scary

Well Chas, you might be rubbish at predictions, but you are better than anybody else that made them this time.

49. evonne says:

congrats Chary, no prize I am afraid

Can we see what Chary’s predictions were, please?

GN5, :-) :-)

52. evonne says:

LB – Chary predicted all wins except for Capital One cup. We lost to BD and MU. He was simply too optimistic

You predicted all wins, hence 3 wrong answers. You were more then optimistic – deluded? :)

As it has all gone quiet, I pinched this off another site, so before I go GN5 can put this in his scrap book.

— “Santa went down the Chimney and started putting presents under the tree. He was about to leave when he noticed the most beautiful red headed woman laying there in her naughty nighties.

She said,” Santa do you wanna stay and play ?”

He said,” Ho Ho Ho, Gotta go, Gotta go, gotta deliver presents to the kids Ho Ho.”

Just as he was about to leave, she said once more, “Santa don’t you want to stay and play.” and as she spoke she took off her nightie and lay there in a sexy g-string.

Undeterred Santa said, “Ho, Ho, Ho, Gotta go, Gotta go, gotta deliver presents to the kids, don’t you know ho ho ?”

So he started to leave, and the woman said again, “Santa you gotta stay, stay and play.” and when he turned around she was laying there completely naked. The most beautiful thing in the world spread eagle.

With flushed cheeks Santa said, Hey, Hey, Hey, gotta stay, gotta stay, cant go up the chimney with my pecker this way!”

Arrivederci! :-)

54. Räsp says:

I take it everyone has heard the news …. Nelson Mandela has died

55. arnie says:

Yes, Rasp, sad news. The question is, why they pulled off the life support system without getting the succession battle settled. This has some nasty smell. There will be more political turmoil now. Hopefully the country will recover well. :sad:

56. arnie says:

Bayonne Jean, N5Art, Dhakka, JanMan: Thanks a lot, mates. Ann Arbor is the closest, sounds quite nice. But spending Christmas in Orlando, and there is one there as well. I will try and go to Chicago at least for one of the games, and say hello to Diego Forlan (erm, Aaron). Dhakka: :D :D

Meeting the great man.

58. evonne says:

for once Boris Johnson said something sensible:

“When the definitive history of our time is written, the name Mandela will stand taller than most – perhaps tallest of them all.”

RiP Nelson Mandela

59. evonne says:

monster – are there pictures of Nelson Mandela with Spurs, or Chavs, or any other English team? Or was the Great Man a Gunner?

It is indeed very sad news about Nelson Mandela, he was a great man, his reconciliation with those that oppressed him make him what he is. He fought for his freedom and for an ideal of equality. And you cannot question his ideal it is the right one.

But one mans freedom fighter is another mans terrorist, and he was imprisoned as such and admitted his part in the violent activities. and that is why Amnesty International would never fight his case, would the politicians who today are being so complimentary about Mandela be so prepared to release terrorists who have fought for their ideal and for their cause and then to seek reconciliation with them?

61. evonne says:

not quite the same

62. evonne says:

GiE – no, definitely not. Politicians are a different bread of humans and should not be believed or trusted. They would only say whatever may win them the next election.

Interesting point Exile.
    His first visit to the UK after his release was specifically to thank Thatcher as the most instrumental politician in his release.

We have a New Post ………………….