Vote for the Next Arsenal Manager

Having a few minutes free I start as I often do  to consider life after Mr Wenger. Who doesn’t?

The man has been a stalwart but even he will have to let go at some point. SAF was approaching his dotage when he retired and my hope is that Mr Wenger will retire in time to enjoy the evening of his life. He is approaching 65 and it would not surprise me if he refuses to sign a longterm contract. In which case, let’s play the “Manager Game” …….

I have certain requirements; they must be Arsenal men, they must be under 50, they must be winners,and they must be comfortable with the press. So that rules out most chaps. But who could possibly take over?

Many of our ex-players have taken coaching badges over the past decade and as such can be considered.

1. Tony Adams. Don’t laugh. This is Mr. Arsenal we are talking about. He has PL and foreign managership experience, he has interesting views on Arsenal and football in general which could improve the club. He knows how to organise a defence and above all else TA is a winner. So why not? Well …..

2. Remi Garde. This little fellow is definitely in the frame. Currently manager of Lyons in France and a self-confessed Spurs hater. He has the experience and has already (according to the Redtops) been approached to be Director of Football at THOF.  He speaks fluent German as well so will be able to chat to our new signings.

3. Dennis. The people’s choice. Currently working at Ajax and doing his badges. Could DB10 really become an Arsenal manager? The flying is the first problem, then there is the doubt that he could ever be a Number One. I can easily see him as an assistant manager or a coach but The Big Man? Somehow I doubt it but it would be nice and he does look good in a suit!

4. TH14. Why not? The man is hugely intelligent, absolutely loves the club, has massive experience and an excellent understudying of tactics. A man motivator, brilliant with the media and a true Arsenal icon. Manager material? Why not?

5. Steve Bould. He certainly must be considered. He has been working his way through the manager ranks at Arsenal and now gets to learn from The Great Man. Has he the “nuts” for the job? Well, he would certainly command respect! Woe betide any player who dared diss him. He has done very well with the youth team and is well thought of by the club. Has he the gravitas to take over from AW? You decide.

6. Patrick Vieira. I have said for a few years that PV4 will manage Arsenal, he has everything we need; intelligence, leadership, the badges, media savvy, a love for The Arsenal and above all, he is a winner. It would be excellent if he could be the first black manager of a big PL club. Some say that his time at MC makes him a traitor and his criticism of some of our recent (last season) form was ill-judged but he is a man who speaks his mind and for that we should congratulate him – after all he was only saying what we all were!

7. Someone else. Now this is the most likely bet given the youth and inexperience of the above group.  It is likely that if AW retires next summer or in 2016/7, we will have another Bruce Rioch figure before the Arsenal man gets the gig. There isn’t anyone who comes to mind – Deschamps, Low, Klopp are unlikely to come – yes, I know, Klopp would be brilliant. OK …. just for you I will put him in the vote

8. Mr Klopp. Top bloke, superb at managing BD but who knows how he would fare in the PL.

So vote away …. you have 3 votes so we can get a clearer picture

153 Responses to Vote for the Next Arsenal Manager

Lalalalalalalalala

I have my fingers in my ears

Lalalalalalallalala

I can’t hear you.
    ;)

2. dhakka09 says:

Lol, I voted Klopp and all I saw was 50% Klopp and 50% Vieira. Quite astounded before I realized that the total number of votes was 2 :p

DK09 :-D

LB. Fully understand! But on a quiet Friday it fills some either.

4. Start the day with some Gangsta` Rap !.

5. Morning all, I agree Big and Dandy, you can’t have too many polls.

For me Klopp seems like a good punt – I know what you’re thinking but this time you;d be wrong, it;s not just because of his taste in music.

He seems to have his team playing the right way and can extract the most out of his players as well as being multi lingual, no Pocchetiino style interpreter required at all his press conferences.

At present I see TA is bottom of the votes pile with that traitorous turncoat PV04 above him. That’s not fair !

OK, TA06 seems pretty clueless about this football managing lark but at least he didn’t spend all his post Arsenal time poaching our players away from us and generally disrespecting the club. I hope the club can find some sort of club ambassadorial type of role for him.

Paddy, you are dead to me ! You took the filthy lucre from the camel shaggers and in my eyes you are not an Arsenal legend.

6. Spot on Uncle Bob. Tony Adams is one shirt short of a full kit bag !. You might as well have had David Icke on there with Davros the Dalek as his # 2 !. hahaha

Cockle. That was surprisingly enjoyable.

8. My aim is to please, Rads……except when in the little boys room, then it is all over the place !. hahaha

9. evonne says:

That is childish LB! but d’you know what? you are right

Lalalalalalalalala

I have my fingers in my ears

Lalalalalalallalala

I can’t hear you :) :)

Wenger has at least 10 years in him, we can vote then

10. Eva-va-vonne, you are cruel. Making Wenger work till he is at least 74 !

Have you no feeling for the guy, let him finish with us after he installs his successor and then enjoy his retirement – he deserves it.

11. Rang says:

Bould would do well but I voted Klopp anyway : D

Oh dear, not another poll are the contributors so busy or is it that they cannot be bothered to write a few lines for a headline post?

Why leave it all to Raddy, without him the blog would go days on end without a lead article, well done BR – even though I hate this type of poll and will not respond.

No Friday round-up?

Are you OK NG?

Congratulations you have won either a £1000 cash or tickets to see Elvis Presley.

Press 1 for the money, 2 for the show…….

Gn5. I am sorry you dislike this type of post. Is it the poll or the content you object to?

I think it is perfectly reasonable to ponder who will take over from Our Great Leader, even if it is a little hackneyed

As to the polls, there are some bloggers who prefer not to write a comment (language skills?) but have an opinion. A poll allows them to express it.

But don’t worry this will be my last poll post for a few weeks :-D

Just checked the vote.

Poor Tony.

A man walks into a crowded bar with a loaded gun and shouts “who’s been laying my wife?”

A voice in the back shouts ” you don’t have enough bullets”……

Raddy,

Why not call a spade a spade they have plenty of time to write comments all day but no time to write a post – I think not – they cannot be bothered, it was an issue throughout the summer when all they needed to do was cover 2/3 days.

A poll is only meaningful when you get thousands of diverse opinions having at most a few hundred is just a voice in the wind.

No disrespect intended just an old farts opinion – which will be torn apart by those that think differently. It’s what makes the world go round.

My wife just asked me if her appendix scar made her look unattractive. Apparently the response of “don’t worry babe, your boobs cover it” wasn’t the answer she was looking for.

20. JanMan says:

Interesting post with lots’ of food for thought!. Tony Adams, no way, yes he is Arsenal through and through but when it comes to managing he is as thick as two planks. DB would be great but it will never be possible as you can’t have a manager who wont fly. PV4 would fit the bill nicely but since he joined Man City I believe that bridge is now burnt down So that Leaves TH14 most likely the peoples choice, Bould who for sure would deserve thje chance or Garde who I am not so sure about. Therefore our options are most likely Klopp or even more likely S.O.B. Klopp would be the perfect choice with Bould and TH14 as his assistants but I don’t think Klopp would be interested as he has signed a new contract with Borussia Dortmund plus he will most likely take over the German National team from Low. Therefore in my humble opinion it looks more likely to be S.OB. with Mr. Wenger having a major influence on who will replace him!

21. JanMan says:

GN5. Great point..those that think differently make the world go around :-)

22. arnie says:

Here’s to the arrival of the baby girl-Gooner:

Three cheers!

66 years ago today I saw my first game at Highbury.
    November 22, 1947. we beat Huddersfield Town 2-0.

I’d stood outside the ground on many a Saturday afternoon listening to the ooh’s and aah’s and yearning to be inside then 3 days before my 10th birthday my Grandad surprised me by taking me to the game.

We stood at the clock end in the cold and rain but I loved every second of it, I went on the watch hundreds of games from the same place.

Best birthday present I ever received.

Excellent music for a new arrival.

My sister’s birthday today as well, she is 1957 vintage

25. arnie says:

Raddy: Lovely. The great fun continues. I voted TH14 first. Reasons: (a) Wenger is not going to retire/ leave in a hurry. (b) TH14 knows the ethos of the club, is loved by the fans, has a good reading of the game (I think), and (c) has always maintained close touch with the club, and served it on every opportunity where he was called upon.

Then, I realised there were two other votes, and I went for Tony Adams (who is from within the system and has a progressive view of Arsenal as a club), and Klopp (who is a good manager, and has a philosophy for the game which is beyond winning).

I wish the option to vote for Guardiola was available. Arsene will not leave in a hurry, and the succession will be planned well in advance. Like every other thing in Arsenal. So, the timing will be such that any chosen successor is available, even if he (or she, why not, there’s always a first time!) is tied at the moment.

Apologies, Raddy, for extending the scope to future times, which was not intended in your post! I like the votes for precisely the reasons you mentioned, and we debated yesterday: drawing (non-contributing) fans out!!!!

26. arnie says:

Raddy: :D :D

GiE: I was listening to Classic FM on my way to work this morning. There was a call-in request to play Chopin’s Funeral March to match with England’s Ashes show last night.

27. jnyc says:

Klopp yes. I have been calling for him since we beat Dortmund in cl a couple seasons back.
    i think we should think about Rudi garcia. And there may be something about the guy who is coaching Arsenes old japanese team. Thats a real dark horse.
    im also disappointed not to see mark hughes on the list. :-)

28. jnyc says:

Oh, and by the way, i think great players rarely make good managers/coaches in any sport.

Hi Randy,

I voted for that S.O.B. and I see he is now second in the list.

How come you haven’t named him? :-)

jync

I was thinking of putting Pulis in so that TA6 wouldn’t come last!

Hi CharyB, :-)

I thought my comment yesterday would flush you out!!

Atho I thought I had crashed Tim’s blog. :-)

32. arnie says:

Wenger: “[Mauricio] Pochettino has done very well without speaking too much. You have to give him credit for that. It’s absolutely tremendous what Southampton have achieved. They can be very ambitious.

“The league is unpredictable this season. The biggest quality needed to win it will be consistency. All teams want to press and win the ball back quickly, Southampton maybe do it better than others.”

Source: Beebs

33. Hello Redders, I’d like to say your mention of me was scurrilous but in reality it would have been typical of me ha ha.

Tim’s blog is usually pretty sturdy though, even when it’s been attacked by Stoke fans as it has in the past.

34. evonne says:

thanks arnie :)

In honesty I’ve been thinking Klopp since that game at our place a couple of seasons back like Jnyc.

But I’ve started to have my doubts and mainly it’s about the style of play, this hard press football requires players to run through walls for the system to work, and then have the creativity/freedom to open up after they win possession.

He has done it with Dortmund by bringing through a by a number of youngsters and giving them a chance to impress, they have repaid him with the required workrate for his system to work.

There is not a huge difference between Klopp’s football and that of Guardiola’s Barca. But I think Pep is being forced to change his style slightly at Munich because the players haven’t grown up with him like those at Barca did.

So I voted some other bloke….Jens Lehman.

By the way if you can stand listening to a retelling of the 4-4 at St James Park I heartily recommend you download the Times Game podcast from Thursday.

They had Steven Harper on as a guest, as a slightly older head I guess it’s no surprise he has some good stories but it’s well worth a listen for an unfiltered but articulate discussion on some of the managers he has played under. And if you want a footballer who gets what it is to be a fan, it’s him.

37. Bayonne Jean says:

Our SOB would be Dragan Stojkovic, current manager at AW’s previous club in Japan. An AW disciple who knows the system for continuity but could also provide a different voice and impart an Eastern European touch of hardness/ nastiness to the side.

Also see that Thierry Henry is back in training at Colney. Possibly another cameo in the works? If so, both 14 and 12 are taken; what number would you like to see?

Congrats to the two grannies. :)

I vote for continuity with Bouldie. Why would he not want to continue with Wenger’s style?

It doesn’t surprise me that Big Tone is last.
    What does surprise me is that 10 spud supporters have been on an Arsenal blog to vote for Adams trying to undermine us from within. :)

Thierry is back training with us today.
    Is it a prophetic number 2 on his shirt?

Did everyone see the Santi interview?
    Apologies if already posted.

Thank you Raddy.

Any post deserves thanks, with or without a poll, due to the effort put in, and it does what it’s supposed to do which is create a platform for debate.

Mind you, Son Of a Bitch would be harsh on a potential manager.

I’m not good at this, and the reason is I’d never even heard of our greatest ever manager before he arrived, so guess I’ll vote SOB :-)

Chas

You reckon Henry will step in at Right Back?

Arse Gent and another “extract” from Theo’s book.

Number two to Dennis maybe?
    He could take the away trip in Europe.

Great Santi article.

Mein Got, match day at last tomorrow.

I don’t remember Thierry’s tackling being that effective so maybe right back is a pont too far.

Mein Dennis im Himmel

TH has such respect in the game that any attacker would just give him the ball without the necessity of the basic skill of tackling.

I’m afraid I can’t see Henry as Managerial stuff. Off Raddy’s list, I’d only consider Garde, Bould or Dennis.

Win tomorrow, and looking at our remaining fixtures, I’d say we have a pretty clear run to the title :-)

Or am I being a little negative in thinking the win tomorrow is so important?

53. Afternoon all

Just stopping long enough to draw breath and read todays post and comments. Having a cup of tea too ;)

The very thought of Thierry Henry giving press conferences every few days has sent me all a quiver, I’m pretty certain a few chaps must have similar feelings. Can you imagine there ever being calls for ‘Henry Out’ or ‘You don’t know what you’re doing’ ?????

Football utopia, even if things were going a bit wrong I’d still be glued to a screen to see and hear him speak. Dreamland ;) ;) ;)

Tomorrow’s game is the most crucial one of the season.
    It’s a must win game.
    Could be the turning point of the season.
    Take a look at the swingometer. Southampton are the team to beat (and Villa, of course)

55. Nice to see Abou’s old kit is getting some use :)

56. Tomorrows game is crucial to our title challenge :)

peaches,
    What with ‘Henry Out’ and chaps being all a-quiver, I thought you were about to tell us Thierry is gay.

58. Gay or not, I know you all love him …………..

……….. even Mr DidIt up there ……………

59. Oh I see, Henry Out, very clever …….. I’m a bit tired :( giving birth wasn’t that difficult in my day ;)

60. It’s ok there’s a post for tomorrow, I will need a match report though and then no nagging until Wednesday ……….

except for my granddaughter’s daddy who is being nagged mercilessly :)

Mesut’s thinking, ‘ how can I fred the ball through to Feo’

62. Football tomorrow ………. can I sneak out and go to the game? My mum will gearing herself up to tell me I shouldn’t :(

GGC about to kick in :(

63. Nah …… Theo backheels it and then runs into space to receive the perfect threaded pass :D

I didn’t realise you had to be there every hour in these first few days. Don’t the happy couple want any time on their own? :)

Let’s hope Theo is not celebrating a couple of goals tomorrow.

Peaches will only vote for the good looking ones :)

Firstly we have to consider AW signing an extension to his contract maybe 2 or 3 years and I really can’t see him not signing. As others have said he seems more relaxd, the players respect him and it looks like he has their full backing and will fight for their place.
    I am pretty sure he will chose his own successor and Arsenal have promoted from within before. (who would have thought bertie mee would have managed a double winning team) so I go along with the idea that Bould is being groomed for the job.
    I sense a different relationship between Bould and AW than with Rice.

Well done Raddy for saving the day.

3pm is nap time. Routine rules so best get her into the swing of things right from the off.

Congratulations to the Grandma’s

Hey Peaches

“……….. even Mr DidIt up there ……………”

Can’t stand the bloke, but I’m happy to back off on your big day :-)

70. Hi kelsey – only good looking ones that talk sense ;)

I’m not sure that Steve Bould would have the international gravitas that an Arsenal manager requires these days so I’m afraid I have to disagree with you about him being groomed for the job.

71. I’m learning fast …. you can get away with murder when you’re a grandma ……… ;)

I think precisely because he hasn’t got ‘international gravitas’ is why he’s perfect for the job.

73. chas – I haven’t even seen the baby today ……… I’ve got the dog!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then again, maybe it would help if I knew what the feck it means.

Hahahahaha, so you’re thinking of missing the Arse game to look after a dog?!!!!!

76. Well I disagree with you too then :)

Why don’t you want Theo to score tomorrow?

I bet she looks like Winston Churchill anyway. :)

78. Definitely not, the dog never minds when I go to football.

I do want him to score twice.
    It’s just that he doesn’t celebrate against his old club. :lol:

Micky. I thought you changed your mind after reading the Auclair biography.

My choice is so against the flow that perhaps there is a smidgeon of a possibility I could be wrong, however I stand by my convictions, PV4 will be an Arsenal manager, and as I said, the first black manager of a Top 4 PL club

Peaches. A look at what?

Raddy here are two ex-Gunners looking to get their coaching badges. It seems it will be at least a year before they get them, assuming they pass.
    ……………………………………………………………………………

Patrick Vieira, Sol Campbell take coaching badges in Wales

By Liam Power, Reporter

Filed: Saturday, August 24, 2013 at 01:00 UK

Last Updated: Saturday, August 24, 2013 at 09:20 UK
    Former Arsenal duo Patrick Vieira and Sol Campbell have begun the process of completing their UEFA A license at a coaching course based in Newport, South Wales.

Both men were among a new batch of 24 to join the course at Dragon Park last Sunday, in their second meet since starting the process eight weeks ago.

Vieira believes that the course provides the perfect platform to learn after an eye-opening period taking charge of the youth side at Manchester City on a trip to Croatia this summer, embracing the opportunity to work in a different environment.

He told The Guardian: “I’m really open and I want to learn and this is the best place for me to do it. I’ve experience on the field that will help me to deal with certain situations but I don’t have any experience on the bench, how to set up a training session, how to deal with the players, and this is why I’m doing the course.

“I chose a place where I feel comfortable to learn, where there is no egos and where they treat everyone the same. That is what I like, because there are 24 people in the room and we may have 24 different visions.

“There is not only one way to coach. They teach you to be a coach with your personality and who you are and they try to give you tools for you to put your philosophy on the table.”

Campbell admitted that he has found the move from playing to the classroom difficult, with the commitment required to take up coaching a challenge he plans to take seriously.

He said: “On the field is where I’m king, where I see things and I’m natural at the things I want to do. I understand the psyche of it, you want to be able to see pictures in training, so that you can give those pictures to someone who can’t see it.

“The other side I’ve got to get used to because I’ve spent most of my life on the grass, that’s been my classroom. I’ll be good at the other side but I’ve got to embrace it more.”

Both ex-Gunners will be on the course for around 10 months before a final assessment, with a view to earning the second-highest coaching badge awarded by European football’s governing body.

83. Isn’t it the baby if you click on the link?

Take a look at Pumpkin in the morning…..sorted.

85. Sol Campbell ………… we forgot about Sol Campbell :lol:

You just get a log in screen, p.

87. More twinkly eyes and a winning smile oozing self confidence :P

Raddy

No, au contraire., the last chapter paints him in a very poor light with regards to the French National team saga at the world cup

Off out for some Low standards and Poor decisions. Bye

90. I’ve taken it off now, will try again later.

Have fun chas

Thanks Raddy

Congratulations Peaches and Evonne

I can not vote or bring myself to contemplate a succesor to Arsene.

I love Arsene. I sometimes wish I was a homosexual so I could write him a romantic letter but its no good, my lust for women is to strong.

To my shame, I was once spotted by family members chatting up a women during my Grand fathers funeral. My excuse that I was overcome with grief hence not myself collapsed when 2 days later was observed leaving a Comedy club with same women

One thing is for sure. Who ever takes over will inherit a Club that has everything in place to win Leagues and conquer Europe.

Such is Arsenes legacy

GN5. I wrote that I expect AW to retire in 2017 after signing another 3 year contract. Should give PV4 time to get some experience ;-)

93. arnie says:

NO NO NO, I hope it is not PV4. He decided to join Shitty, and has made many snide remarks about the management in Arsenal. If TH were to decide to come, that is another matter!!! :D :D :D

94. arnie says:

Chas: I voted TA as my third choice. But there was no way to record a third choice vote. We want single transferable votes!!!!!

95. evonne says:

don’t worry Peaches, I am on my way to see your granddaughter, you can chat here tonight :)

96. evonne says:

we know that AW won’t leave without an apt replacement. I’d say he would have the new manager working alongside him for at least a season. Arsene likes to be in controll. He won’t do a dirty on us like Fergie did on United :)

What about Laudrup geezer, he is good managerial material, no?

Raddy,

I would offer that the next Arsenal manager, after AW finishes his next contract, will not need to be an Arsenal old boy. Very few ex players seem to make good managers especially in the modern era of more technical coaching.

I believe that it be unusual for ex players to have the mind set required to be a coach and may simply try to become a carbon copy of the best managers they have played for.

98. E va va vonne

Laudrup has hair which TMHT can only dream about…….and in that dream he has Laudrup in the back of his Cortina sedated with chloroform whilst extracting 1000`s of hair follicles from the front of Laudrups head instead of the usual bit at the back and just to be vindictive. So that when Laudrup wakes up he will look into the rear view mirror and scream in terror as he realises it is not Ralph Coates, but himself with the comb over !.

Of course Paul Merson is The Oracle on Sky Sports, I am sure he would make a good manager :) feck the training lads let’s just go down to the boozer and discuss tactics.

Laudrup is a good shout, thought I see his next move in Spain.

101. dandan says:

Just back from a stormy 18 days cruising on the med and the bay of Biscay, captain says these were the worst conditions he had faced in twenty years on the med, then the stabilizers broke and the fun really begun. But back home in one piece and wiser about the power of the sea.
    Missed Arsenals big week and England’s performances, so Cricket tonight Then a browse through 3 weeks of AA wisdom and I should then be up to date and ready for the weekends dramatics and a another Arsenal win.

Why did I miss so much when I had my I pad with me, well the the WiFi cost on the ship was £14 an hour and I wasn’t prepared to pay that,would you have done and can anyone beat that for downright internet robbery?

Evening dandan,

Sad you had such a rough journey but the fact is the sea is always the winner.

It will be a real test of the “new and improved” Arsenal tomorrow Southamton are proving to be a real handful thsi season and we will have to be at our absolute best to get all three points. Their defense is really stingy and have only conceded 5 goals in 11 games.

103. chäs says:

dandan,
    That’s a disgrace.
    Is your ipad wifi only?

Welcome home Dandan.

The cruise sounded …. interesting!

Sorry about the cricket. We are getting hammered both with bat and ball.

Unusual time for you Daddy, but a hearty Motning all the same

DD my parents did the Bay if Biscay around this time of year……once was enough….when the crew are sea sick you know it’s rough!

Seem to remember a big storm was incoming and the Captain gave them a vote, one to miss a port and get round Biscay before it hit, or to proceed as normal and potentially hit Biscay as the storm hit. They decided to skip the port but it didn’t seem to matter any.

Wow Dandan, can we see pics of the ship at full tilt in Biscay?

The power of the sea terrifies me and I spend a good part of my life no more than 100 yds out

Actually, around 10 yrs ago, there was news footage of a yacht upside down in Biscay and helicopter recovery. Two of the crew are mates, and spookily, I’m seeing them today.

Micky. Got up to watch the cricket – not so clever, but a hearty good motning to you too, sir.

The idea of being on a cruse ship with thousands of sea-sick people is not my idea of a holiday. Give me the mountains, the beach and clear skies.

Biscay is a summer only job.

Mind you, November is when you get the really big waves, hence world record wave in N. Portugal a few weeks ago.

The idea of being locked aboard a ship with the thousands of people fills me absolute horror.

Mind you, I’m by far and away the most intolerant person I know, whereas Dandan is civility personified.

Raddy

You know my choice is Laudrup, so when you posted this: “Laudrup is a good shout, thought I see his next move in Spain”

Is it meant to read “though” making the move to Spain your personal view, or do you mean you read somewhere that was where he’s off to?

Is Laudrup off to Madrid?

I was interested in GN5’s comment about ex players making poor managers.
    Aren’t virtually all managers ex players?

Chas

“Is Laudrup off to Madrid?” Have you been reading Latin again? :-)

Ha ha, I swear I saw Dandan flying past :-)

“Adscribam qui maxime amplio ludio ludius erit Iam tempus, finem real.” Quod Laudrup

I was violently sea sick wearing a girl guides uniform going across Biscay once, but that’s a different story.

7:38 Brilliant

Chas

The chances of being gorgeous while wearing a girl guides outfit and getting away with it are minimal.

That’s a good question.

How many managers can you name who never played?

Bertie Mee?

Lawrie McMenemy is one, I think

I wouldn’t have a clue.

Can’t wait for the BR to see who he reckons will line up. Who are the likely candidates to miss out due to fatigue?

I thought you were using “the BR” like “The Arsenal” for a moment. Then I realised you meant the pre-match. :)

Flamini out suspended.
    Santi may be a bit tatered. Where the hell is Equatorial Guinea? (and don’t say, ‘on the equator’)

Andre Villas Boas was managing The British Virgin Islands when he was 21!

Strange question Chas.

It’s a really, really bad place. I know someone who was banged up there for 5 yrs after an attempted coup went tits up.

To answer your question within your parameters, it’s in Africa and along that middle hot bit :-)

128. evonne says:

sorry lads,I somehow lost interest in football
    I wish you luck for today :)

Spain played South Africa and Equatorial Guinea this week, so at least Santi was in a similar time zone to us.
    One advantage of him being lickle is that there would be plenty of leg room on the plane, though.
    Dennis knows how the BFG copes when Germany fly with RyanAir.

Are you glowing with grandmotherly pride?

131. evonne says:

yes Chas, cannot describe the wonderful feeling….only another grandmother can understand

132. Räsp says:

Morning all – Raddy, you have put Flamini in your team for today, but he’s suspended, can you let me have your alternative please.

The BFG only flies Luftwaffe, and they allow his head to pop up through the gun turret, and his legs to dangle out of the bomb doors.

Evonne

I know a new Granny who’s off to the Emirates today :-)

Evonne who has won the race to get the Junior Gunners membership? More importantly the Arsenal baby grows?

136. dandan says:

Thanks for the sympathy folks, BR we were on a small ship 700 passenger! And I am lucky that I don’t suffer from sea sickness, but keeping ones feer especially with a disabled wife,exercised my forward planning somewhat. :-). We missed out a port but strangely it was the Med that was the most ferocious. Couldn’t get on deck in a position for pictures Mrs Dandans threats if I tried were real and expensive

137. evonne says:

Micky – I don’t think she’ll go

GiE – baby Gunner hasn’t got a name yet, hence no membership. I checked Gunner babygrows, but they don’t do them in XXXS, So all is on hold

Hi Dandan

“Mrs Dandans threats if I tried were real and expensive” ha ha :-)

Blimey, I would have been on the top deck, life jacket on, the whole time.

‘Dangling out of the bomb doors’ sounds like the sort of phrase Richard Keys might use. :)

140. Räsp says:

I can’t contact Raddy so I’ve substituted Jack for Flamini in his line up unless anyone else has a suggestion?

Does the influx of grannies on this site put Wayne’s misdemeanours in a new light?

Who’s Richard Keys, and let me guess, he’s a left footer?

Rasp

Hasn’t Jack got wonky ankles?

Might be a bit tricky without seeing the rest, Rasper.

I thought it might be a straight Walcott for Flamini swap.

145. arnie says:

Late late motning, all. Sorry did not wake up early to watch the cricket. :D :D

I think GN5’s point was not about managers not having been players, but about great players making great managers. I think great players do not in general make great managers, of course there are exceptions, and there are several reasons I can see. One being that great players are often individualist and cannot plan a team game that well.

Micky: Have you seen the monster waves and the crazy surfers in Portugal? I have. Spectacular, but very very scary

DanDan: Sympathies. I have not been on cruise, but have done sailing on the North Sea and the Irish Sea. It gets quite bad when the sea is rough. But at least there are islands where you can hide from nature, sort of. But my biggest challenge was seeing the same 4-5 faces, and the same conversation over and over gain, continuously for a week. No contact with the outside world (not quite, the coast guard call once in a while to warn about storms, etc) makes you crazy. But quite a good experience. Try it out, those of you who have not done it!!!!!

Richard Keys is the one with the hairy hands who spoke of smashing her back door in or something like that.
    He also lost his job along with Andy Gray for taking the p*ss out of a female lino.

147. Räsp says:

OK, I’ve had to wing this …….

…. New post …….

148. arnie says:

Evonne seems to be having withdrawal symptoms. So long as the nervous anticipation of the arrival was there, lots of energy. Now, with the arrival, no interest in football? :D :D