Vote for Arsenal’s most improved player

To make this as even-handed as possible the time-frame is from January 2013.

Let’s look at the runners and riders:

Goalkeeper: The man has come on leaps and bounds and Rocky made him his player of the season. Do you agree? Personally I don’t, TPIG started his career with such aplomb that many called him a potential world No 1. He had a dip in form and then a return to the quality we all know he has. Is a return to form an improvement? You decide.

Defence:  Kos, BFG and Gibbs have surprised many with their cohesion and developing understanding which is based upon fine individual form.

In my opinion, Kos’s lapses have cost us points this year and although he was superb in the run up to our excellent 4th spot, he remains just a tad below the immensity that is Mertesacker.

BFG has become my favourite AFC player. His humour, his calmness under pressure  – even if he is not blessed with Sprezzatura, BFG has galvanised the team. Is he better than this time last season? Certainly, but has his improvement been to the level of ….

Keiron Gibbs? At last the lad is having a relatively injury-free run and his qualities are becoming evident. He is keeping Spain’s LB out of the team which gives an indication of how highly AW thinks of him. IMO he is already better than Cole and Baines and should be England’s first choice LB for the World Cup. Improved? Massively

Midfield: Arteta sets such a high standard he cannot improve. Cazorla the same. Jack has yet to find form and fitness. Ozil  and Flamini are too shiny and new to include which leaves Tomas and Aaron.

Rosicky has been wonderful this season and his absence at Old Trafford could well have cost us the points. Given that he was written off by many (including BR) just a few months ago his rehabilitation has been neigh on miraculous, as has been the form of ….

Aaron Ramsey. The Welsh Messi is playing at a level none could have imagined a season ago. I wonder if even Mr Wenger envisaged such a transformation – quite simply, he is the best player in the entire Premier League this season. And if you disagree, name me another?

Attack. Only Giroud to look at but OG must be carefully considered because his improvement has been immense. Developing from a French journeyman who had many a Gooner in serious doubt as to his signing to a man who every game has all Gooners singing his anthem, he has had a fine year. Loads of goals, loads of assists but more importantly a focus for the attack, he has improved immensely . But is he good enough? You decide.

written by Big Raddy

136 Responses to Vote for Arsenal’s most improved player

1. arnie says:

Peaches: we are missing the author’s name (erm, alias)!! :D :D

arnie. Mea Colpa. Won’t happen again!

3. Thusego Moeng says:

Ramsey is the most improved you can see how he links with Giroud and Ozil and the way he defend to me Ramsey is the reason why we at the top of the LEAGUE he understand everyone at Arsenal that’s my man.

4. magMaSlide53 says:

ram d man….. no doubt

5. arnie says:

Thanks, Raddy. I should have known, because you said yesterday, now I remember.

Good stuff. This should generate good debate, even if the outcome seems a bit of a foregone conclusion!!!! :D :D

Brilliant Raddy

You know how much we love these votey things. Thanks.

Only just read it, and while my immediate answer has to be Aaron, I’m off driving about and will see if I can think of a different answer that will make me sound clever and insightful.

I’m not holding out too much hope. Back later.

7. arnie says:

Raddy, brilliant as ever. The way the question is framed, I think it has to be Rambo. He got my vote, and I predict (without claiming any brownie points) that he will come out the leader.

OK, if we then ask, who else? I would say Szcz and Rosicky, in no particular order. But for the team, Chesney’s improvement is more important, for no other reason that the GK position is more important for results.

Next, broadening the horizon further, one might say that what has improved most since the beginning of the year is the team’s performance. And this is most significant, because Arsenal plays a team game. I suppose most of us belong to the camp of looking beyond individuals to how the team plays.

Finally, if one were to ask, which individual contributed most to the improvement in Arsenal’s team game, my first answer will be Ozil. But BFG, AR and OG are not far behind.

“Clear as mud that covers the ground, and the confusion makes the head go round”? :D :D :D

8. arnie says:

Bleacher predicts this lineup for France today. Giroud and Sagna both start, and Ukraine is one of the roughest teams in Europe. Oh dear!!!!

9. arnie says:

10. arnie says:

11. arnie says:

Final one for the moment. Reactions? :D :D :D

12. arnie says:

There is also some discussion on Sanogo in the French press today. Nothing important, but basically saying that nobody understands what Wenger saw in him, but they hope he is right!!!!

Well done BR.

It’s Rambo for me by some distance. There may be some who wrote him off, there may be some who said he would come good but there are none who said he would become this good.

My vote went to AR. It had to.

15. arnie says:

The votes are interesting. A priori, I would have predicted 90% for Rambo, but that appears not to be the case.

For this season it has to be Rambo.
    There were still some having a go at Ramsey for the first part of this year for being too slow on the ball, holding our play up etc etc.

For January to November, I’d go for Gibbo. He looks like a class left back now and has had international recognition too (not counting his 45 minutes under Capello).

17. David Stewart says:

Very subjective, but I will stick my neck out and vote ……Ramsey too. In terms of goals/assists his improvement is easily measurable. But his overall workrate is to be commended also.

At the moment Ramsey has almost 80% of the vote!

Great idea for a Post BR – and like Micky, I love the “votey thing”

No surprises – after my Post from yesterday – from me: I’ve voted for Szcz.

Ramsey was coming good during most of the second half of last season and I was always 100% confident in him turning into a top player for us.

With Szcz… well, I still had quite serious doubts but this season he is putting them to rest. A big step up from the big Pole. And as Arnie mentioned, if Szcz was making mistakes that were costing us goals and points, the work of the players in front of him would be attracting fewer plaudits.

(Of course Aaron has also had a brilliant season so far, so I have him a very close second).

TR7 has been excellent for us at different times during his career – it all depends on his injury issues.

20. jnyc says:

Good question Raddy. I think it has to be Considered why we are enjoying our success since late last year — and that is because of improvement over the last couple seasons from:

Gibbs
    giroud
    sczesney
    Ramsey of course.

in my opinion, a few players on the same team becoming excellent players along with other solid players, to make a great core.

all through the transfer window i kept saying that i only wanted a couple of high quality additions to our solid core. We got one super quality in Ozil, and good addition of flamini. Add this to Ramseys breakout and our core, and you have the best quality football in the prem.

so, as i thought, we can realistically fight for the title.

21. goonermichael says:

I love voting. Ramsey is a no brainer though

22. gus says:

should have made this poll, apart from ramsey. I would then have gone with Gibbs I think. We often get annoyed at our players because of their inconsistency. Gibbs is really starting to become a good, consistent reliable full back.

23. Räsp says:

Thanks Raddy, this is a logical extension to yesterday’s post and simply proves Rocky wrong :lol:

Sorry to be boring but Ramsey for me too. Yes he was a much improved player at the end of last season – but he wasn’t scoring lots of goals. The added dimension (and therefore improvement) are the goals so he has to get my vote.

As others have said, Szczesny, Mertesacker, Gibbs, Arteta and Rosicky are all equal second. Just imagine how good we’ll be if Ozil is our most improved player at this point next season :P

Theo

See, all those hours driving and thinking not wasted at all :-)

From January, he got better and better.

Rasp,
    I have yet another “logical extension” for a post that takes this concept to another level! Let’s see if Exile comes up with something sensible, if not, into the breach plungeth I.

26. Räsp says:

:) Micky, the choice of possible polls is endless …..

Most improved:
    Goal celebrator (does that word exist?)
    Anti Arsenal media pundit
    Blogger
    Referee
    Early morning youtube clip artist
    Rudest on twitter – oh, that’s goonermichael

Gus. Welcome. I didn’t think of that! It would have been better without AR, who has over 70%. Merts is second and Gibbs third with just 6%.

Without AR I would have voted BFG.

Miccky. Get plunging Dude

28. Räsp says:

Hi Raddy, it is possible to allow voting for more than one category on any poll. Next time we should ask people to choose their 3 most improved players and then that would provide a more accurate ‘mean’ of the 2nd and third choices.

Splendid Raddy

I voted for Giroud, though fully accept that my vote should have been cast for Aaron.

My logic, though illogical, is that the way Ramsey is now performing was something I fully expected, including the goals.

I apply this rule of thumb to the likes of Szczesny and Gibbs as I fully expect them to mature into world class players

Though I am never critical of our players, Girouds performances have really surprised me. We all know the blueprint says that overseas players be given there second year, but this guys improvement has been phenomenal.

Cards on the table, I did not believe that Giroud was, or would ever be, good enough to lead an Arsenal attack. How wrong I was. His work rate, awareness, touch, intelligence etc has been outstanding..

30. Räsp says:

Hi TMHT, I agree Giroud has been superb, it seems the French national coach prefers Ollie to Benzema these days – so why would we buy Benzema?

31. Räsp says:

As far as Ollie leading the attack, I’d say he spearheads it in an unselfish way and is often like the runner who passes the baton for the last leg of the relay. His goals have dried up slightly, I hope that doesn’t bother him because the other things he brings to the team are arguably more important.

Hi Rasp, I dont think we should, though the guys a great player.

My own view is that we need a front man who brings something else. Playing of the last defender, ability to play wide etc.

As you know, I am not greedy. But another TH14 would be nice.

33. evonne says:

Thanks Raddy, good summary of our team’s huge leap forward. With so many improved players, our chances of finishing higher in the table (much higher) has also improved, all good!

I like being original but I would be lying if I said that in my opinion any player has improved more than Aaron. So, sadly I have to go with the majority of 72% and vote for the Welsh Messi

Rasper, @ 4;51 – you have put the mockers on Giro, the French coach has dropped him.

I have always liked his attitude and willingness to put the hard yards in. He is a good man to have in the team.

35. evonne says:

Transplant – I just thought that now you are single again, at least you have no hair to wash :)

About Ollie. I said the other day that I felt he was a forward (and a damn good one) but not a striker.

Mesut needs a striker.

I voted for Park as we never see him ,he must be something very special :)

38. evonne says:

RA – have you read TMHT story about his mother washing his hair at 31?

39. evonne says:

kelsey – he doesn’t exist! It was a scam to sell more shirt in Asia

Aaron was always going to win for all the reasons quoted above.
    It would be interesting at the end of the season when we have played 30+ more games asking who is the player of the season and compare it to the result of today’s poll.

41. Räsp says:

I agree Micky @ 5:19. Assuming the likes of Ronaldo and Messi are out of our reach, which available strikers we could go after?

42. evonne says:

bloody hell Rasp, are you reading my mail??!!
    My brother has sent me this a couple of mins ago

Micky,

You promised to cogitate all day and come up with something mature and sensible (or some such) and you present us with —- Theo?

Not a bad choice — except I think he has been injured for all but 5 minutes of this season.

Still, who can deny that you are right as we have no evidence to the contrary. Devilishly cunning. :-)

Evonne, I did read Terry’s hairy tale about his mom washing his hair at 31.

He meant his mother was 31 and he was 5 years old.

I believe him! :-)

45. evonne says:

Good thinking RA, but he was already married to his 2nd wife. At 5? nay, he was 31.

Silence Kelsey

You are taking the wind out of my brilliant idea sails :-)

47. evonne says:

Micky – did you read about my recipe for your shoulder?

Kelsey. Park has been a strange signing, but considering his brief appearance in the League Cup one has to say he has made an improvement upon last season :-D

You could say that BR (cough) ;)

You all know where I stand on certain players and shirt sales.

It’s why I think Frimpong was so wrong in saying he’d have been better off being white and English :-)

Evonne
    First up, what’s wrong with my shoulder?

I think Frimpers finished his AFC career with that statement.

Anyone think we will see him again in the red and white?

Rasp
    Don’t know the question to your striker question.
    For me, Suarez is PL proven, but maybe not available to us.

Sorry, answer to your question.

Raddy,

A couple of seasons ago, Frimpong looked the real deal to me, but that comment was not the first time his intelligence has been found wanting, both on and off the pitch.

I remember seeing him being MOTM in the Ems Tournament.

56. evonne says:

Micky :) what’s wrong with your shoulder? It hurts, you had it xrayed by a mean woman in absence of Colin and it turned out that you either have old man’s disease called arthritism or the king’s disease, which you would naturally prefer, but which is more painful. That’s all

Big Toe, though they’re unsure as it was the result of a surfing crash.

Help needed. England game on big telly, or France on Stream?

I’m favouring France Ukraine.

58. arnie says:

Micky: France – Ukraine should be fantastic. Is it true Ollie is on the bench. Good news in that case. On second thoughts, in case France wins 3-0, just in case, it would be lovely if both Ollie and Sagna were playing a part.

Is BFG playing?

59. evonne says:

i should watch poland v paddies, but i’d rather england v krautz
    Then again, France v Ukraine is a proper game, not a friendly.

Just big toe?? how disappointing

Just had a vote, and my casting vote won (it always does in this two horse race). France it is.

Arnie,
    Although Benzema has a suspect character, I’m looking forward to running a scouting eye over the fella. He did have a good understanding with Mesut, after all.

Sweden vs Portugal for me and record England.

Though it will be fun seeing the French go mental when they go out

Howard Webb ref in Sweden. Danish TV calling him the world’s best referee!!

63. 26may1989 says:

Micky/arnie/anyone: Any suggestions re where to find the France v Ukraine game? Can’t believe it isn’t on one the zillion sports or general TV channels……

Wiziwig
    Then scroll down. I’m just doing it now

FRance flying. Right up for it already.

ok 26?

67. 26may1989 says:

Cheers, matey, got it. I really should take notice when people are talking about streaming Gooner games….

26 Good

Can’t imagine 22 players on the field at the end of this one

69. evonne says:

I cannot watch Ribbery rolling on the pitch, he is a joke
    my staffie rolls on the grass like that, nothing wrong wiith him, just likes me laughing at him

70. evonne says:

yes Micky, Frenchies should get a few cards for diving

Sakho 1-0

72. evonne says:

whats the name of the little frog?

73. 26may1989 says:

Allez les bleus, 2-0. Future Arsenal striker scores.

74. evonne says:

Valbuena, he is very good

France game much better than very dull Sweden

76. evonne says:

chas – Laurent is on the bench next to the FFBW
    Great game

That youtube link is quite good quality.

78. 26may1989 says:

evonne, we’ll be seeing Valbuena at our place next Tuesday.

80. evonne says:

26 – CL? Let’s hope he gets injured tonight :)

81. JanMan says:

BFG 1 – England 0 :-) Pretty bad if England can’t beat Germany’s B team! Sorry guys ma German heritage kicks in :-)

82. JanMan says:

“my”

83. 26may1989 says:

Nice header from the BFG.

France looking good but that away goal risk is a big problem. Do they keep the momentum and go for another two goals, in order to get to safety, or do they try to shut up shop?

84. 26may1989 says:

Not sure about that one, Janman: resting Ozil, Neuer and Lahm doesn’t make that side a B team. Merts, Bender, Reus, Goetze, Kroos and Boateng are still there, pretty damn good team!

You reckon Benzema to us, eh?
    Maybe a Suarez to Madrid kind of affair.
    Doesn’t B have a court case coming up?

86. JanMan says:

26. Very true but from those names only BFG and Boateng are true first teamers. Granted the Germans have a very strong squad so I’ll change my earlier comment to Germany’s 1A :-)

87. 26may1989 says:

Micky, technically, Benzema does have a court case pending, but the prosecutor applied to have it dropped on the basis there wasn’t enough evidence, but bizarrely the judge refused to terminate the prosecution. I understand that the case against Benzema is almost bound to fail at some point though.

If Benzema and OG can’t play together for France what makes you think they can for AFC?

89. JanMan says:

Most important lets’ hope all our boys playing for their countries tonight come through unscathed and are fit for the weekend against Southampton

90. 26may1989 says:

Radster, Benzema isn’t my preferred option to be honest, I’d like a nippy, mobile bloke to be brought in. Just speculating about Benzema, no more than that.

I know he was crap in France’s first game against Ukraine, but I still think Remy could end up with us (I assume there’s zero chance of Suarez, Hulk or Rooney coming our way). Costa is another possibility.

(Remy’s own potential prosecution is of course an issue.)

91. Didn’t last long, Ronaldo hat trick puts Portugal 4-2 aggr

92. 26may1989 says:

Julian Draxler, that’s another one it’d be good to see at THOF.

Konoplyanka has been pretty quiet for Ukraine tonight.

Blimey, Remy as well. What’s he up in front of the beak for?

Thank goodness I stayed sith the Sweden game, it turned into a superb second half

3-0 sakho

96. 26may1989 says:

That 3rd goal for France is meaningless unless they score a 4th. I can still see Ukraine pinching a goal, they’ve been close a couple of times.

2-3 to Portugal? Good stuff.

Remy is being investigated on gang rape charges.

Really pleased to see Ukraine go out. Vicious and nasty team

98. 26may1989 says:

OK, I’m just being paranoid re the away goal…..

26 Not meaningless if the score stays the same (hopefully) :-)

100. 26may1989 says:

Agreed Raddy, very dirty. Shame, they used to have much more about them.

Ribery magnifique ce soir

102. 26may1989 says:

Well done, the Germans.

And well done, France. With Portugal and Croatia also going through, the better footballing sides have prevailed in the European play-offs.

My brother in New Zealand is very confident of the All Whites beating Mexico 4-0 to overcome their first leg deficit. Hmmm.

Fine evenings entertainment.

Must bid bonsoir, as knackered.

104. 26may1989 says:

Bon soir, mon ami.

105. JanMan says:

BFG looked really happy at the end :-)

106. JanMan says:

Well I guess we will get to see a lot of Arsenal players at the world cup in Brazil.

107. Yes Janman, that’s the best outcome :)

108. 26may1989 says:

As far as I can tell, there appear to be no Arsenal injuries from the internationals. Which would be a relief.

A couple of surprising results in the friendlies: Spain lost to South Africa and Japan beat Belgium.

109. arnie says:

sorry, I was away guys, missed all the games. must have been a fantastic show. happy both France and Portugal are through. England will have a very tough job!!!!!

110. arnie says:

no injuries, fantastic. it seems Benzema was good?

111. 26may1989 says:

Benzema not that good, arnie. He wasn’t bad but Pogba, Ribery and Valbuena were the ones who really carried the fight for France.

112. arnie says:

26may: thanks, probably a bit relieved. not sure why Ollie did not start today. somehow Deschamps does not evoke a great deal of confidence

113. And I would say… the Team ! Yeah, just to try to be a wise arse. I mean, it kind of seem obvious that Rambo gets the palm here, but the improvement of the collective is what got us on top of the league. After we signed Özil, some pundits said we were still short of three or four world class players to compete for the title : they were right and wrong. We need four or five of these players to challenge, but hey, guess what we already have them : Mesut Özil, Aaron Ramsey, Per Mertesacker, Theo Walcott and my personal favorite Kieran Gibbs. Oh, I almost forgot Santi Cazorla… Make it six then. We are the champions !

I think little Mozart is way underrated, Sagna has performed impressively (him terrorizing that poor Liverpool kid is priceless), and so on and so on… Baby calling. Day starting here. So, have a nice day mates !

114. arnie says:

Benjamin: good points. agree 100%

Motning all.

Post in.

Only mildly impressed with Benzema. Real problem would be that he would present AW with a straight either/or with Ollie, whereas a Suarez type could play wide of Ollie, or fill the void in the case of an OG injury.

116. evonne says:

And as before I was not impressed with Lewandowski. He can’t be bothered to play for his own country.

Benzema’s goal was miles off side
    Giroud did a John Terry celebrating as if he played a big part :)

All in all good entertainment last night and some great results (minus my 2 countries)

I am still in shock that AW spent almost €50m on Ozil, that he would spend a similar sum this January is inconceivable.

IF we sign someone expect him to be relatively unknown or a crock like Ba/Cisse or under-rated like Sessignon.

evonne. To those of us lucky enough to miss the England game, it was a fine night of football. The second half in Stockholm was very entertaining – Ronaldo is as good as I have ever seen, possibly the best ever and that includes Messi.

“David Stewart says:
    November 19, 2013 at 1:20 pm (Edit)

Giroud should also get a mention. His unselfish team ethic is a joy to watch and sets him apart from many of his Premiership peers.”

Such a good comment/observation.

For me most improved is Gibbs, he has been gradually improving over last couple of years but now I think he is finally coming of age.his defensive recovery speed is remarkable and I think he is more aware of responsibilities at the back than ever before.

Rambo has been good, he has found goal scoring form this year but his performance levels, work rate and stamina were already there in the second half of last season.

The only reason some see BFG as most improved is because they believed what some pundits said rather than watching for himself. I really would like to see Arsene make him captain, but thankfully he is one of those players who doesn’t need the armband to play like a captain and take responsibility on the pitch.

120. evonne says:

it was indeed Raddy. I had 2 laptops, polish and english TVs going flicking between games. But the French was the best, Ukrainians were out of their depth, so they tried to gain advantage by dirty tactics. I was glad to see them fail.

Riberry and Bevuena are awesome together. I think Benzema would be great if reunited with Mesut

121. evonne says:

it is going to be such good summer, so many games to watch! Almost all of our lads will be involved. I think I will support country with most Arsenal players. That’s France, or Spain or Germany. So only France and Spain for me to choose from

Morning all.

Regardless of the fact that England had an experimental side out last night what would Hodgeson have learnt that we didn’t know beforehand.We can’t muster a decent 22 players together,certain individuals get mystery injuries always at Friendlies and he has a hopeless task. The Germans as per usual are a well organised team having totally reconstructed the coaching of football right down to grass root level., and are one of the leading nations that will participate in Brazil. Booing doesn’t help anyone and 3.5 years on we don’t seemed to have improved one iota.

Motning,

…as Per usual…… :)

125. That tweet is so weird!!!!!!!!

Morning all

There are some truly strange people out there and the worrying thing is they look just like everyone else.

Once again I blame Margaret Thatcher. Once she started that care in the community nonsense (in the Audit Commission 1983), it all went tits up.

kelsey. Is it the manager’s fault that the players he can choose from are so unimpressed by playing for their national team that they withdraw from every friendly, yet are fit to play for their club the following weekend?

Though it must be said the team (based upon what I have read) had no tactical awareness or fluency.

I would go to Brazil with an extremely young side and hope to build from scratch. Include Gibbs, Luke Shaw, Wilshere, Sterling, Barkley, Theo, etc etc and when they lose they will at least gain experience and grow together as a team.

Forget taking Terry, Lamps, Stevie G, Barry, Milner, etc etc

We were doomed when the idiotic FA chose to employ a 60+ y.o. manager. Much better to give a young man a go and let him learn in the job. IMO an intelligent man like Southgate should be the next in line.

128. Oooooh thats radical talk Raddy ;) The FA would never be so bold I’m afraid, they used up all their credibility when they gave Capello a new contract for doing nothing.

129. We have a New Post …………….

For a successful England side (talent aside) I’d say, do away with the League Cup, reduce the size of the Prem, and the England side get together for a month before a major tournament.

Mind you, I do those things anyway for the sake of My Team :-)