Another great game of Football?

Big night ahead. Can we really beat last season’s finalists at their massive ground?

There will be 80+k fans in the Signal Iduna Park including two of our very own AA’ers and very excited they will be!

Given the manner of our home defeat there is cause for cautious optimism – I really believe we can get something from the game. Two silly defensive mistakes cost us the points and we can be sure the Welsh Messi will not try and dribble his way out of trouble in our area again.

So – we have seen why Dortmund are so highly rated but they have seen why we smashed Napoli and the Scouse. Both teams will have respect for each other after the excellent game at THOF.

Dortmund:  As I gave a breakdown in my last BD post it seems superfluous to repeat it, but I must make mention of Lewandowski. One chance at THOF and he scored, a 16 minute hat-trick on Friday, 12 goals from 14 games so far this season, the man is on fire – the chances of his coming to THOF in January are almost non-existent.

But is he as good as Ollie Giroud? Could he execute that flick to Wilshere in the goal of the month? I don’t think so.

Another major threat is Marco Reus. Now here is a bloke who should be playing at THOF. Left sided attacker, 20 goals in 43 games for BD and 7 in 17 for Germany, 24 y.o. – perfect. Apparently Man Utd are trying to buy him, but who would want to go to that flea-pit when he is already at a bigger and better club?images

Must be windy in Dortmund

Klopp has been very complimentary about both Mr Wenger and Arsenal. Stating that he should be Sir Wenger and that AFC have been the best English football team over the past 10 years, maybe he is shovelling it on in case of defeat, but who knows  perhaps Klopp is sincere.

Arsenal:  Once again we have to talk injuries; Jack and Gibbs are out though thankfully we have excellent replacements. The absence of Flamini and the long-term absentee Theo are less easy to accommodate. Away in the CL is just where these two flourish.

My concern tonight is lack of pace on the counter. On Saturday we saw Ramsey lead a counter-attack but the defender outran him and AR was forced to turn and pass back to an oncoming player. If Theo had been there then  ……..

A major plus is the return to fitness of Santi. I love this bloke,his imagination is boundless.

A repeat of Arteta’s fine game at the weekend and another lesson in hold up play from OG will be the keys to our success.

My Team:

Szczesny

Sagna    BFG    Kos    Monreal

Ramsey    Arteta    Rosicky

Ozil   OG    Cazorla

We are still struggling for attacking options from the bench, hopefully Gnabry is fit enough to travel.

The team showed on Saturday a determination and work-ethic which will hold us in good stead tonight. If we manage to press BD higher up the pitch we can do well tonight and given some luck and the run of the ball and a decent referee, then we can bring him the points. Why not?

Unknown

BR will be wearing a red jacket & Micky a red and white scarf – in case you are looking for us!

p.s. Mickydidit and I will be your foreign correspondents at the stadium as, thanks to Chas ,we have tickets for the game. No doubt we will be full of bratwurst, sauerkraut and Lowenbrau as we look down upon our heroes.

For most games Peaches has the armchair fans in her pocket as she cheers on the lads, tonight I can return the favour. Photos will be taken but probably not uploaded to the site until Friday.

Written by BigRaddy

208 Responses to Another great game of Football?

Apologies, Rasp is not around at the mo to put the pitch layout into the post but he’ll try to do that a bit later.

Micky and BR – have a great day, looking forward to your updates from Germany :)

2. evönne says:

aaaahhhh…..Peaches in your pocket, how sweet :)

I think you are right Raddy, stuff yourself and DidIt with wurst, prezels and ale, you will need all the power and strength tonight. There is nothing, I repeat, absolutely nothing that would make me sit with 80k Germans, you guys are heroes. To go all the way there to give support to our lads in less than favorable circumstances is what only true fans would do for their club, the unconditional love. I sincerely hope your loyalty will be rewarded tonight!

Have great time, but don’t mention the War

3. Morning all, thanks for the PM Big and Dandy,

For a change I can be the bringer of good news as I’m pretty sure Wenger has said Gibbs was available today and for a bit of pace we have Gnabry in the squad too. So, two reasons to be cheerful and if the crucial 3 of Arteta, Ozzy and Santi can turn up we can “get a result” as the cliche goes.

I can’t let last nights shabby performance by the Old Toilet crew go unnoticed, yet another in the long series of Pk’s earnt by purple noses ex team via an Ashley Young dive – so where is the Eduardo like witch hunt then ?

At least justice was done by Van C***face botching the resulting penalty and a drab 0-0 result ensued.

Good, I hope that sets the ManUre front bottoms up for a home beating by the Good guys on Sunday

4. 26may1989 says:

Well done Raddy, and best of luck keeping Micky in line.

A big, big game this eve, one to savour. This is the type of game that makes the CL special.

We start as underdogs, Dortmund are rightly considered to be the better side. That’s not so much because they have the better players, I think it is more that they are further into their development as a unit than we are. But we can win tonight, it’s a tough one for both sides.

And it’s worth bearing in mind how sturdy we’ve become in our travels. We haven’t lost an away game in any competition in eight months, and we haven’t lost an away game in the CL in 2013. Not that home and away really means much in a group as strong as this one, they’re all tough games to win. But we have plenty of reason to feel we can get one or three points tonight, including the fact that three of our starters (Rosicky’s superb performance at the weekend must make him a starter tonight) have played in the Bundesliga.

5. Victor says:

Giroud better than Lewandowski ? Dortmund bigger than United ? deluded does not properly describe you. United have always,currently are and will always be a bigger club than arsenal. your spite comes out of bitterness,envy and your inability to come to terms that you once competed with us for titles and you’re now in our shadows. We’ll beat you on Sunday,overtake you and win the league again. emirates the home of football ? maybe on pro evolution soccer game.

6. Do eff off Victor, you glory hunting plastic.

7. 26may1989 says:

Victor, we are looking forward to Sunday’s trip to the Salford Warehouse (one of the most soulless places to watch football this side of Belarus). Who knows what the result will be, but watching United’s pitiful effort last night, you guys are clearly there for the taking.

Enjoy!

8. Victor will be ok 26, if his “team” are behind Ashley Young can hurl himself to the ground to get another dodgy penalty.

The only thing I want to know today is how Chas gets these tickets?

10. arnie says:

Fantastic pre-match, Raddy, and well done to you, Micky and of course Chas for organising this very special presence of AA away in Dortmund. Have fun, guys, and cheer the good guys as hard as you can. This is almost as good as it gets. If we get a result here, I will stay smiling and singing till Christmas no matter what happens in the interim. We have given it to ManUre in Old Toilet in the past, and know how good it feels, but CL finalists BvB in Dortmund is just another matter.

Very nervous, but looking forward to a great game. The mutual respect between Klopp and Arsene is, I think, worth a lot.

Chary, I hope you are right that Gibbs is available. Yes, he wasnt brilliant in the reverse fixture at the Ems, leaving their right side too much space. But Monreal for the full 90 sounds a bit scary.

That apart, its game on. Bring on BvB!!!!!

11. Shard says:

Fantastic prematch as always Raddy. I’m really looking forward to this game. I can’t shake the feeling of this becoming something of a grudge match. Not anything like the ManU rivalry or anything (Just saw the disgraceful dive by Young), but in the sense that although we rightly view Dortmund and Arsenal as kindred spirits in the big bad world of football, within that sphere of existence there is a rivalry for who will be top dog. I also think Dortmund feel this more keenly than we do,

I guess what I’m saying is, I want us to win today. Not just for the importance of the game itself, but to reassert Arsenal’s standing in the game. I’m probably being ungracious but I don’t want Dortmund getting commendations after the game unless it’s for a well fought, well played defeat :)

On a side note, I think there will be about 60k fans in the Signal Iduna Park (Westfalonstadion?) because they can’t have standing areas for European games.

12. Norfolk Gooner says:

Good morning all,

Another Excellent pre-match Raddy.

According to Arsenal.com Gibbs has travelled (to Dortmund) and should be available, Gnabry is in the squad. No Jack, Theo or Mathieu.

The last game was much closer than the scoreline suggested, Dortmund know they have a fight on their hands. Jurgen Klopp likens his team to Heavy Metal and suggests Arsenal are more like classical music. Well Jurgen, Wenger’s Valkyries are riding towards you and this could be your Gotterdamerung.

13. JanMan says:

Hi Shard, One thing to remember, for the European games they install temporary fold away seats in the standing areas. All of those seats will be folded up and the Dortmund fans will remain standing throughout the game regardless. Of course as you pointed out, this does reduce the actual capacity. The atmosphere will be electric.

14. 26may1989 says:

A couple of factoids for this evening:

Dortmund will likely not have Mats Hummels in the team, as he was injured at the weekend, plus Gundogan, Gunter and Piszczek are still crocked.

They have fearsome home form this season (in all comps, they’ve played seven, won seven, with a GD of +20) but they lost four times at home in the Bundesliga last season. However, they didn’t lost a single CL home game last season.

15. Norfolk Gooner says:

26, Perhaps there could be a bit of over confidence for us to exploit. :D

Excellent, BR.
    I’ll be looking out for your red jacket.

LB,
    Ant and me now have 15+ away points so I was able to buy them through the club.

Lovely post BR. I hope that Rosicky plays slightly deeper next to Arteta as a box to box DM. He and Wilshere are the best 2 at carrying the ball out from deeper midfield even with opposition players in close attendance. I feel if Tommie can do this effectively and get the ball to the front 4 then we can come away with the win.

26May. I thought you were a bit harsh on Belarus earlier. Every other point was spot on.

BR just one word of warning, if you see Micky brandishing and mis-handling a giant Bratwurst later then keep some distance between him and yourself, and hopefully you will make it to the end of the game unscathed.

18. Sav from Australia says:

Good pre-match, cheers!

Have to sleep otherwise won’t be able to do my job in a few hours. Wish I was in Germany, should be a cracker of a match. I don’t want to expect too much, but I know what this Arsenal team is capable of…

19. 26may1989 says:

GoonerB, :)

I’ve never understood why anyone likes OT, awful ground. There are so many better places to watch the beautiful game.

20. jnyc says:

RADDY, MICKY,
    have a great time. I hope u leave with big smiles.

Subs

Fabianski, Vermaelen, Monreal, Gnabry, Jenkinson, Hayden, Bendtner

Arsenal Team

Szczesny, Sagna, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Gibbs, Arteta, Ramsey, Rosicky, Ozil, Cazorla, Giroud

23. Fantastic team, just the same as Saturday :) Can’t wait for this game, very excited. Have to serve some food, back in a bit.

24. Where is everyone, sitting on their hands?

25. 26may1989 says:

I’m over here, peaches….

Rosicky excellent so far.

26. 26may1989 says:

Thought that was in….

27. 26may1989 says:

They’re now getting a fair amount of play in our third, it’s only a matter of time before they get a shot on goal.

28. 26may1989 says:

I’m obviously talking to myself, but what the hell. I love Per Mertesacker, excellent interception.

29. arnie says:

over here as well, but very nervous. busy biting my fingernails ….

30. 26may1989 says:

How did Dortmund miss there? We were completely opened up.

Arteta is obviously a worry, him getting a red in this match would be a double whammy, undermining us in this match and the Marseille game. He needs to keep a very low profile.

31. arnie says:

agreed, 26may. this is very very tough. Arsenal I think is playing slightly better than last time, closing gaps a bit quicker, but not by that much ….

Evening all effing tense ain’t it?

Got to say Dortmund are very very good, I’d say better than any team in the PL.

If we walk away with a point I’ll be happy.

33. 26may1989 says:

Hi arnie. It’s fairly tight, both sides playing within themselves so far.

34. arnie says:

It is amazing how quickly Dortmund guys close down when out of possession. Such fantastic workrate!!!! Heavy metal or not, mighty impressive

35. 26may1989 says:

I agree arnie, but I also think our lot are working very hard.

36. arnie says:

agreed GiE, will be happy with a draw. But even in that case we have to score. I cannot see a 0-0 here. But we have had no fun in the top third yet, and Dortmund has had 3 chances,

37. arnie says:

yes 26may, our guys are playing with their hearts this time …. let us see ….

38. arnie says:

ok, goalless first half. well done so far, more needed ….

39. 26may1989 says:

Effing tense is about right, Exile. You get the feeling there’s a serious second half in store….

There is one of those horrible two edged swords going on here.

In possession we are not quick enough to get up the pitch and get the numbers needed to hold the ball. But if we do that we are open to a counter attack when not in possession.

41. arnie says:

I hope Micky and Raddy are shouting their hearts out ….

42. Oh there you all are. Interesting how smudger said we’re better at closing a game down now. I hope we at least get a couple of shots on target 2nd half.

43. 26may1989 says:

Bloody hell, have just seen that Napoli are winning. Come on Marseille, do us a favour.

44. 53% possession for us. Sagna not having much luck down his side, very compact.

45. arnie says:

welcome, peaches, yes, we should at least get a couple of shots in ….

Most amusing part of commentary was when the main commentator said “Gibbs the only Englishman on the pitch”…..do you think they’d say the same if Rooney and Giggs were the only British players on the park?

47. TT says:

Too tense to type :) Weather the next 15 min then give it a go. If still tied at min 80, batten down. What do you all think?

53% possession? Doesn’t feel like it!

A serious second half 26? I bloody hope so. We need to keep concentration and focus, and one of Ramsey or Rosicky need to get in and help Arteta. I think if tweak it slightly put Ozil and Santi out wide as they are being smothered in middle and then Arteta Rosicky deep, and Ramsey supporting where needed.

49. arnie says:

TT: sounds like a plan. 80 mins is a long way yet, though

50. 26may1989 says:

I think TT has it about right – we will go for the win at some point but I’m sure would end up accepting the point if we can’t get a goal.

51. arnie says:

That sounds like a good idea, GiE. No fun down the middle. If nothing works until 75 mins, get Gnabry on and try to muscle in through the middle. Gutsy guy!!! He will give it a try ….

Sounds right TT although I’m prepared to forego the pushing for a win, not being 3 points behind Napoli and Dortmund is important. Next game is Napoli?

If we finish this game on 7 Dortmund on 7 and a Napoli on 9 we can go into last game with the table like this if we draw away in Italy:

Dortmund 10
    Napoli 10
    Arsenal 8
    Marseille 0

If we lose this and draw in Italy we will be going in like this:

Dortmund 12
    Napoli 10
    Arsenal 7

Much harder to see the top two not playing out a draw in the first scenario.

53. 26may1989 says:

Watching Wenger walking back after half-time, he reminded me of Rowan Atkinson. Never seen that similarity before.

Looming at the bench if consider getting Monreal on alongside Arteta soon.

55. 26may1989 says:

Next game is home to Marseille, Exile, and away to Napoli is the last game.

56. arnie says:

great save, Szcz

57. 26may1989 says:

Dortmund many have had the chances but that’s the first serious save that Szczesny has had to make.

58. 26may1989 says:

And that was his second proper save…..

59. arnie says:

tough, tough, very tough. lucky that time

60. 26may1989 says:

Oooh, Mikel, Mikel…….

61. arnie says:

yes, Arteta getting very close to the line …

62. 26may1989 says:

Tough as it would be to handle the last 30 minutes without him, there’s an increasingly good argument that we should just take Arteta off.

That’s a relief 26, I thought it was just straight reversal of opening three games.

So the likelihood is Dortmund have beaten Napoli by the time we play them. And we will have another win.

So last game before Napoli points will be

Dortmund 10
    Arsenal 10
    Napoli 9

Or

Dortmund 12
    Arsenal 9
    Napoli 9

At least we will control our own destiny in either situation.

Bloody ell we have an offside trap again :)

65. 26may1989 says:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

66. arnie says:

Rambo …………….

GEEEEEEEEETTTTTTT THEEEEEEEE FUUUUUUUUUCK IN!!!!

68. 26may1989 says:

If ever the phrase against the run of play was justified…….

69. We just don’t know how not to score haha or rather Rambo doesn’t :)

70. arnie says:

OK, defend for your lives now, guys…..

71. 26may1989 says:

That was horrible, horrible defending.

OK, boys, tight, tight stuff now.

72. arnie says:

Come on, nothing funny now, no symphonies needed, defend for your lives

73. arnie says:

Rambo in again, denied …..

74. 26may1989 says:

TT’s gameplan is going very well…..

75. 26may1989 says:

This game is going mental…. See, Exile, a big second half! But how is it going to end up???

76. Now we’ve got a game. Come on Arsenal Come on Arsenal

77. 26may1989 says:

Great call from the ref, no foul and no dive.

78. arnie says:

we are defending well so far, but 20 mins still to go

79. And Rasp tells me the other game is 2-2

80. 26may1989 says:

Oh Per, so close. That was Bould-esque….

81. arnie says:

2-2, fantastic ……

82. 26may1989 says:

Great news re Marseille.

83. evönne says:

what’s up with Per? he is determined to score. doesn’t he like Germans or something?

84. arnie says:

OK, defense still tight. come on guys, another 20 mins

85. 26may1989 says:

That’s it, possession play.

86. evönne says:

attack is the best form of defence arnie

87. arnie says:

yes, Evonne, agree, but this is too nervy ….. so far, the good guys have shown a big heart, now finish this off.

88. 26may1989 says:

Aubameyang is good, don’t know what Hoffmann is like.

Excellent to see Monreal come on. In my opinion, he is a very important player for us, and one not much acknowledged because he does his job coming off the bench.

89. evönne says:

ha?? nacho for santi?? what’s that all about? we cannot defend for 20+mins against BD

90. 26may1989 says:

I’d still be pleased with a draw.

91. arnie says:

come on, Evonne, dont wind us up….. this is very nervy

92. arnie says:

what the hell do you mean, 26may. we will win this game

93. 26may1989 says:

Took Kos out, penalty every day. Hope the big man is ok.

94. Gone Rambo just do it
    Sheep

95. arnie says:

strong guy, Kos

96. Cese stay there we got the sheep , Ramsey

With respect Mr 26May fuck that. I’ve just looked at the group table if it looks like that on 90 minutes I’ll be delirious!

98. 26may1989 says:

“With respect” – ha ha ha!

99. 26may1989 says:

Napoli winning 3-2.

100. 26may1989 says:

Dortmund have lost a lot of their shape but we are sitting so deep, don’t like it.

101. 26may1989 says:

Bendtner for Giroud???

102. arnie says:

No problems with Bendy….. how long is stoppage?

With the greatest respect?

104. 26may1989 says:

105. 26may1989 says:

Steve MacMahon time – one minute to go…….

106. evönne says:

ha ha ha, they are going to punch the linesman, go on then!

107. 26may1989 says:

Brilliant!!!!!

108. arnie says:

job well done ……

Get in……

110. Look what we did :lol:

111. arnie says:

would have taken two draws, that would have been 2 points, this is even better…… fantastic ……. :D :D

112. evönne says:

fooking hell, we won? no way!!

those lucky buggers Didit and BR!! what a game to go to

113. Who’s gonna write about it then?

114. 26may1989 says:

Dortmund’s lack of a clinical finish was their downfall, but lots of respect (not Exile style – :) ) to the boys.

115. arnie says:

so much for heavy metal ….. yo hoooooo !!!!!!!!

Test this time?

Hahahaahahahahahahahaha.
    It must feel like Copenhagen 1994 for Big Raddy.

118. arnie says:

peaches, surely Micky should get the first chance

119. 26may1989 says:

Beat Marseille and we’re through to the knock outs.

121. 26may1989 says:

“We are top of the league, say we are top of the league.”

Not often we get to say that.

Oh……

122. Arnie – I can’t imagine that either Micky or Raddy will be able to string a sentence together let alone write a post ;)

How’s them fucking apples aahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I have decided that Lewandawski is a bit of a Ladyboy, diving pussy.

125. fatgingergooner says:

WOW!!!

This group of players is starting to look a bit special!

18 months ago we couldn’t defend for toffee, now we are keeping the worlds best out.

Unbelievable result. Tactics were spot on and so was the execution.

Old Trafford here we come!

Hahahahahahahhaha

127. 26may1989 says:

Apples? No, you’ve got me there, LB.

128. Manthan says:

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

26? Really?

If we beat Marseille

Arsenal 12
    Napoli 9/10/12
    Dortmund 6/7/9

Think it all hinges on the Dortmund – Napoli game.

I remember there being some weird mini league thing if three teams are equal, Marseille results are then excluded. So it’ll come down to results against each other and such like no? A draw or Napoli winning being the best result?

130. TT says:

That was a scary last minute, but the boys survived. The BFG was a wild man tonight.

Does Lewandowski have a rep for falling down easy? Ref did not even think twice most of the times he dropped to the ground.

Not played anyone and beaten anyone of note —— I think that one just got filed in the same draw as Arsenal don’t spend any money.

132. Adrian says:

What a game. We’re the only english team to beat both german giants in the CL for quite some time apparently!!

Aaron Ramsey. I’m running out of words and superlatives to describe him. He been simply amazing so far this season.

Very impressed with our defending as well, top class performances from both Bosscielny and Per (Unlucky not to score one!). Overall great team performance and I thought that our passing was good and crisp (so much better than the first half in the emirates) even though we were under immense pressure.

Bring on Man Utd already.

What do Lewandawski and Ashley Young both have in common?

They are both a pair of banned words.

134. Who’s offering me a post then ………….

135. Manthan says:

Hello Fellas, Hope you all are doing well.. I read blog daily ;-) but from my office commenting is blocked.. A great win by our special team.. Great Tatics by Wenger……

136. arnie says:

OK, I can do it. But I will not be able to be there too long during the day. Busy day tomorrow at work …

137. Manthan says:

Per: 8/8 clearances, including headed and won 2/2 tackles. Kos with 5/5 clearances.

Ime so happy, feel like a Fairy. Floating around the living room without a care in the world.

Really happy for Raddy and Micky, one to remember for them.

The Ghosts of the Thirties are Stirring.

Will give my thoughts on the game after i have come down to earth, so see everyone in about six months time.

139. JanMan says:

That was a brilliant tactical display, that is how you win an important away game. Great ball from Özil, great strength from Giroud with the header to the goal machine Ramsey, brilliant, brilliant. I hope the guys from AA who were at the game had a great night. How many more tests before we are appreciated?

140. 26may1989 says:

Sorry, I should revise my 9.40:

As Sky just said, if we beat Marseille and Dortmund don’t beat Napoli, we go through.

And if we beat Marseille and then avoid defeat against Napoli or Marseille beat Dortmund, we go through.

But if both Arsenal and Dortmund win in match 5 and Napoli and Dortmund win in match 6, all three would finish on 12 points. We would then be separated by stripping out all the games against Marseille and ranked as follows:

a) points obtained in the matches played among the three;

b) superior in their group matches;

c) higher number of goals scored in the group matches played among the teams in question;

d) higher number of goals scored away from home in the group matches played among the teams in question;

e) and if, after that, two teams still have an equal ranking, the criteria at a) to d) are reapplied amongst those two only;

If they’re still equal, the following apply:

f) GD from all group matches played;

g) higher number of goals scored from all group matches;

h) coefficient points accumulated by the club in question, as well as its association, over the previous five seasons.

Confused? You will be.

141. dhakka09 says:

Well, there you go lads. All big-tests are done and dusted with majority of them passed with flying colors. Up next, time to beat the mid-table United. Our boys shouldn’t be complacent against those lesser opponents and remember that in EPL all teams are to be taken seriously, even the likes of Sunderland, Crystal Palace and Manchester United ;)

142. arnie says:

Peaches: is there a go-ahead?

143. Manthan says:

For the first time since December 2002 (0-1 vs Milan), Borussia Dortmund have failed to score in a Champions League home game. Held.

144. arnie says:

welcome, Manthan …. :D :D

Agree with LB about Lewandowski

146. dhakka09 says:

Reading the comments here posted during the match is better than BBC live match-blog. Thanks folks, was fun to read (with all due respect :P )

147. Manthan says:

arnie My Pleasure :) :)

148. Shard says:

Well now that we’ve won, as per my earlier comment, I don’t mind Dortmund being given plaudits :D

But in all seriousness, they are a fantastic side. The speed at which they break forward is just sensational, and their pressing is fantastic. However, like Barcelona a few years ago, they run out of steam somewhere around the 60 minute mark. Against most teams that 60 mins is enough, and to be fair, we did give them the chances to score well before that. But if Chelsea had pulled off the victory, the media would go gaga over Mourinho’s ‘tactics’. FFS, they were praising Mourinho for the goal Eto’o scored today from a deflection by closing down the keeper. Wenger meanwhile, doesn’t do tactics according to popular perception.

However, Chelsea couldn’t play like we did. It wasn’t the sort of performance like they had against Bayern or even Barca last season. This was a much better game of football and both sides displayed such a high technical level. The result went for us today, just like it went against us last time out. There is nothing to choose between Dortmund and Arsenal and we should consider Arsenal as one of the better teams in Europe, despite it being all still to do.

Onto Old Trafford, so hopefully the team will rest up and be ready for the next test. And maybe we could get Flamini and Walcott back as well. Surely we can beat them? We’ll see. But really proud of the Arsenal team today. We worked hard for that win, and what an important result that was.

149. TT says:

Full orchestra silenced heavy metal band tonight. :)

I’m thinking your complicated table wouldn’t be needed, 26. Hope it will be a win at home against Marseilles, and a draw at Napoli.

150. Shard says:

I agree about Lewandowski too. His elbow in the last game, his attempts to win free kicks and penalties today, as well as his slide tackle on Ramsey all contribute to that feeling about him. And I know he’s all the rage right now, but I’ve always felt that he’s a little overrated as a player. Still would take him at Arsenal :)

151. Manthan Davda says:

“We all support our own clubs but if there’s one team we all want to do well it’s Arsenal” – Gary Neville

Allllllllaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh
    De Arsenalllllllllll………….
    Hand up les Gunnerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrsssssssss….

153. arnie says:

ha ha ha, who wants Lewandowski in January if we can get such symphony going!!!!!!!

154. 26may1989 says:

Would love Lewandowski to wear the red and white!

155. Manthan Davda says:

Klopp on Arsenal: “Sometimes it seemed as if they were defending with four legs.” #afc

156. 26may1989 says:

It’ll be very tough if one of us, Napoli and Dortmund ends up going out with 12 points from the Group of Death.

157. Manthan Davda says:

Commentator: “They do not have a game changer on the bench.”

They forgot Arsène Wenger.”

160. Hi arnie, thank you for the offer, please send it through to arsenalnuts@live.co.uk

RRRRRRRRaaaaaaaaaammmmmsseeyyyyyyyyy.

164. 26may1989 says:

Michael Ballack reflecting on Barca’s apparent resurgence, saying to Jamie Redknapp “If you win a lot, it is difficult to keep going” – Jamie looking blank, not comprehending what this weird German is on about (“Win a lot? Does not compute.”).

165. Look at this gif. It’s when Ramsey scores

167. Should have known chas would get there first :(

168. JanMan says:

So if we go to the old toilet and lose, we will still be top of the league by two points….will the so called experts (pundits) then say we are a club in chaos, we can’t beat the big teams, we can’t defend,we can’t win the league blah blah blah.
    To hell with it lets’ just beat the Mancs and we will shut everyone up.

169. I can’t stand Lewandowski. Horrible cheat.

170. Manthan Davda says:

Though I think it was good tactics by Le-Prof.. We defended well and took our chances.. If Chelsea would have won today against media would have been singing Mour name… MY MOTM is SIR ARSENE WENGER… :D

171. Manthan says:

Lets take initiative of calling Le-Prof as Sir Arsene Wenger.. He is far far better than Red Nose for making football so beautiful.. Trophies are not all what make you great man its passion for football make you sir..

172. arnie says:

cheers, peaches, will do

173. JanMan says:

All hail Sir Arsene Wenger!!!

Calling Sniffer, calling Sniffer…

Where are you Sniffer?

Sniffer?

Apologies for any bad language…..children and those of a sensitive disposition, look away now.

176. I saw that earlier chas. Oscar Wilde, Brilliant

How about Per ‘Bobby Moore’ Meatlocker?

By the way anyone who thinks Arsene doesn’t do tactics or organisation watch how eager he is to make sure Monreal is aware of what is required before he comes on. He is doing all his talking then and trusts his players to do it when they go over the white line.

Shard you are so right about that sixty minute thing, tonight we scored on 60 but then Dortmund seemed to try and play on the counter and not press as high, did the same at our place, which I guess paid dividends but then that was because it was 1-1, the timing of our goal tonight was so important as they were just shifting into their defend and counter phase which at 1-0 was not going to get them a win.

180. TT says:

Thanks for all the great gifs, chas. I’ve decided tonight that following Arsenal is bad for my health. When I started it a few years back, Arsenal struggled, and I couldn’t sleep at night due to frustration. Wouldn’t it be great if Arsenal won more; I would sleep like a baby, I thought.

Now Arsenal are winning, and I am too excited to sleep :D

181. 26may1989 says:

Yup, agreed TT. I now can’t wait for 4.10pm on Sunday……

182. arnie says:

ha ha ha, 26may, imagine how many hours of sleep Moist will be losing!!!!!!

Yéeeeeeeehaaaaaaaa

What a night
    Arsenal support amazing
    Will send some pics from Arsenal end for armies post

186. arnie says:

well done Arsenal, but not the least well done Micky and Raddy …. :D :D

Since 1 January 2013.

All Comps Played 43 Won 29 Drawn 6 Lost 8

FA Cup Played 4 Won 2 Drawn 1 Lost 1
    League Cup Played 2 Won 1 Lost 1
    CL Played 9 Won 7 Lost 2
    Premier League Played 28 Won 19 Drawn 5 Lost 4

Just read this on Guardian comments….made me laugh:

“Even though I have never subscribed to the “Sack Wenger” brigade, I have to admit that I felt that his continued belief in Ramsay was misplaced.
    I’m delighted to admit now that I know nothing about football really, and Wenger is an absolute genius.”

Motning all,

Was hoping to have 20 min catch up before leaving to airport, but ran into Gooner Mates in hotel this morning, and all now going together. So offski now.

Have sent some poor pics from my mobile to arsenalnuts, so hopefully ok for MR.

I have made a couple of Chas’s GIFs live in the thread above, the one of Dortmund fans stopping bouncing can be watched at leafs ten times without getting old :D

Love the technology Exile

Cant wait to watch game on iplayer later.

Off now.

No GIFs Micky?

Sounded like a pretty impressive atmosphere in there last night, glad you got a good result to make the journey home oh so enjoyable :D

Little word on Özil last night, I thought he was very good last night in the last 20/30 minutes at stretching the Dortmund defence at a slow pace.

When he got the ball as the outlet man he seemed to have the ability to move forward at whatever pace he wanted to, just enough to let players try and catch up to help him but not too much that he took the ball to two/three defenders and not too little to let wingers/midfielders rob him. One of those players who has his own timepiece.

motning,
    apparently the bouncing gif is from last season’s CL final (hence the wembley t shirts) but it still has a certain charm and appropriateness.

Chas

Bringing home a massive Germanette for you as a thank you

Micky
    Getting tickets for good luck charms is a huge pleasure for me in many ways. Us winning being one of them. :)

Morning 26

“Them apples”

In World War I, something called a Stokes gun fired mortars resembling apples with a stick in them, so they were often referred to as Toffee Apples.

In the movie Rio Bravo in 1959, a guy tosses a hand grenade and says “How do ya like them apples?”

Will: Do you like apples?
    Clark: What?
    Will: Do you like apples?
    Clark: Yeah.
    Will: Well, I got her number. How do you like them apples?

So Klopp and your squeaky clean home record

How d’ya like them apples?

200. Morning Happy People :)

201. Ooooowah Ramsey’s goal on repeat see 7.08, love it love it love it, thanks GiE :D

202. arnie says:

morning everyone. how is life in dreamland?

203. Will (from good Will Hunting) was the first time i had heard the Apples line.

Now I prefer Richard Herring’s alternative:

How Do You like Them Sky Potatoes?

204. Morning all, and so the belief in the team grows. Special mention to MDi89 and Big Randy – I’m so glad they could be there for such a special night.

Memories of last night will be indelibly etched in their minds. Tip top stuff.

205. There’s a New post ……………

I’m having trouble getting the pics to go in the post so I’ll sort it it in a bit.

206. TT says:

The fan-bouncing gif is a bit too painful to watch for me. Dortmund fans, like the manager, appear affably mad for their team. Seeing them deflate hits too close to home.

Otherwise, it’s a great gif that captures a really expressive, human moment.