Is Bendtner Unfairly Treated?

Did anyone else suffer anti Bendtner comments during the game on Saturday?

The new people this season sitting near me seemed to think that by slagging Bendtner they would some how curry favour with the people who had been there from day one.

Nik home

Well, I don’t see this at all, what exactly has he done wrong since returning? The only crime I can see was missing a chance against Chelsea, for goodness sake Giroud misses chances every game: take Saturday, holy moly, one on one with the keeper and he fluffs his lines badly. If Bendtner had done that there would have been a booing riot.

Bendtner got worse service against the chavs than you or I would receive in a greasy spoon café just off a motorway.

NIk away

The thing that has struck me in every game and cameo that the Great Dane has played in is just how good his movement has been; sadly there are still so many spoilt children at THOF who do not understand such things.

I got a very uncomfortable feeling when he was subbed against the chavs, for a moment I thought there was going to a return to the Dark Ages (Pre Ozil) with full scale booing, fortunately that did not happen but it happened enough to warrant comment.

Perhaps this it’s just me, do you think he is badly treated or does a player deserve all he gets when he states publicly that he will never wear an Arsenal shirt again?

Nik vs spuds

Written by LB

65 Responses to Is Bendtner Unfairly Treated?

1. mikesteeden says:

Fans must – especially so with The Arsenal a little short on back up talent up front – get behind the team and show good manners. Look what young Ramsey had to put up with last year – ’tis amazing he came through it all and his now like we have a new signing (probably £30 million if we had to meet an open market fee)!

LB. Enjoyable read this fine morning. As you know, I like the Danish Dimwit

In answer to your question I would say both. It was totally unprofessional to make derogatory comments about the club which pays him so highly. It is not AFC’s fault that the stupid idiot has ruined his career.

And it is praiseworthy that he is so determined to put it right on the pitch and anyone wearing the shirt should be given our backing during the game. I think Nik is player who has yet to find his club. His international record speaks of a potent striker yet his club career is quite frankly pants (green).

He is playing to get another contract elsewhere and hopefully that will benefit the Arsenal.

3. Ola says:

He is the only true backup striker we have so fans should just accept it and get behind him and try to help him regain some confidence. Slagging him off does not help him or Arsenal. Right now he looks like a lost and bewildered deer caught in the headlights.

4. gunnerpete says:

Oh I do wish someone would illtreat me by paying £50K per week (or Year) into my bank for sod all.

5. dhakka09 says:

nice one LB. I personally think that Bendtner’s strength predominantly lies in his abilities in the air. He is a good header of the ball (note his most recent two goals for Denmark) but we do struggle a bit to deliver quality crosses into the box for him to attack and tend to play the ball to his feet quite a lot like we do with Giroud which doesn’t particularly play to Bendtner’s strengths. The team needs to supply him with variety of balls/crosses in order for him to succeed more.

I know it’s trendy to get on his back these days (its tempting too given the way he has carried himself over the years and things he has said about our beloved club) but Bendtner genuinely seems intent to right the wrongs of the past and I, for one, am in support of giving him a second chance.

6. Dennis says:

Is there anyone out there who believes that Bendtner will make a
    Good striker? I think that he against chelski had the perfect
    Opportunity to showcase his talents and put himself back in the shop window,but in usual Bendtner style failed miserably,we’ll what did we expect from someone who has been actively seeking a move away from the club for the past……..2 plus years I would rather have a youth product….I.e Akpom will give you more than
    That waste of space,is he still on 52k : no wonder he’s in no hurry
    Would you be.wise up Wenger and ship him out.

£50k up to £52k any advances?

Fans worrying about wages has always seemed a bit silly to me, what he is paid is irrelevant to us the fans. If he is on as much as that it would’ve been signed at a similar time that the first choice strikers (Adebayor and BSR) were receiving deals around the £80-90k a week mark.

Take that to an ordinary work place…let’s say a building site near hear. Qualified tradesmen get around £150-180 per day, apprentices around £80-90. Not so silly is it?

LB I kind of agree, I have always been hopeful that there is a centre forward hidden beneath the complexity of his character. And like you I feared the boos when he came off against Chavs.

8. Jeanette Kliger says:

Surely a lot of the dislike dates back to his somewhat stupid father’s critical comments and the heaping of lavish praise on his son. He has also reputedly said that he would never pay for us again. He clearly didn’t get on with Adebayor or RvP, but then neither do !!!
    He plays very well for Denmark, but I think he has problems – viz. losing his licence in Copenhagen and being dropped from the Danish team.
    He definitely has talent, but…

9. Richard Gray says:

Unfairly treated? Did you watch the same game as the rest of us? He had a chance to show what he can do & basically could not be bothered. He didnt challenge in the air for corners & didnt track back or show for his team mates to pass the ball. His track record away from AFC is just as bad, so we will struggle to unload him. BUT if we pay off his contract then he sorts himself out for a new deal somewhere else AND it frees up a squad place for someone who is willing to WORK

Well done, LB.
    Bendy is unfairly treated if he’s booed while wearing red and white.
    What could anyone hope to achieve by doing that?

How is it possible to say goozbermps in this way? :)

I know many of us have had the same feeling seeing the Highbury pitch for the first time……..

Here’s a heatmap everyone can understand.

15. Norfolk Gooner says:

Good morning all,

A good question LB, no Bendtner does not deserve to be booed, but in the interest of fairness neither does he deserve much praise either. Whilst wearing an Arsenal shirt he should be treated with respect but unless he soon does something to earn that respect he should not be allowed to wear the shirt.

16. Millz says:

Bendtner is awful…. Period. His first touch is and always has been atrocious so it makes it impossible for him to lead the line like Giroud does cos he can’t bring people into play. On top of this when he doesn’t have the ball he shows little to no desire in tying to get it back. Giroud will hassle defenders and close them down, thus forcing them into a mistake or forcing them to punt it up the pitch. Bendtner is and sadly always will be a liability who doesn’t fit into arsenals style of play.

17. 26may1989 says:

Guten tag.

Well done, LB, pithy and astute. Down the years, I’ve got into regular arguments with those sitting near me, who wrote Bendtner off ages ago. I remember getting especially animated when Bendy scored a superb goal against Ipswich in the League Cup semifinal, when we were struggling to break down a lesser side. (That win should have led to winning the League Cup, but we all know what happened on that grey, drizzly day at Wembley.)

He has the talent to score well and score frequently but the truth is he has wasted his talent in the last few years. Kudos to him this season, for eating humble pie (perhaps it’s all part of a zen thing, along with the hair do) and knuckling down after he didn’t get a move elsewhere. He won’t make it with us, that seems obvious, but he will certainly go with my best wishes when he does find a new place to ply his trade.

He’s had an attitude and behaviour problem, but that seems to have been righted now. Perhaps being surrounded by self-obsessed numpties like Nasri, Adebayor and Gallas was bad for his personal development. That said, some things were misconstrued: he only ever said he wanted to be the best in the world, not that he is. It might not be wise to speak in those terms prematurely, but taken at face value, what is wrong with any player saying taht he wants to be the best?

18. Double98 says:

I think we have ruined Bendtner… sure he is an arrogant sob and sure he hasnt fulfilled his potential but we have savaged him from early on – his goals per chance / per minute was pretty good but we still remember his miss against barca as the defining moment of his career.

He has the entire package but came back to us perhaps a year too soon – he was a shade behind adebayor and then couldnt play with RVP.

I can see him leaving us for some mid table german team before shining there and ending up at big club

When Do Arsenal Become Title Favourites…?

While others drop points, Arsenal have the best form in Europe’s top five leagues – this is a side with 25 points from their last 27 available in the league. That isn’t just more than any other side in the Premier League, or even in English league football – only Roma and Barcelona can rival that form across Europe’s top five leagues.

At what point do we make them title favourites is the question?

This is Arsenal,’ was the first response, and that stance is understandable. The last time the Gunners were five points clear in the Premier League they traveled to Manchester United the following week and lost 4-0 (unlike next weekend, that was in the cup), failed to win any of their next five league games and finished third.

Nevertheless, how long can an augmentation of performances and results be simply seen as a ‘good run’? How long until unexpected becomes expected? Since consecutive defeats against Chelsea and Manchester City in January, Arsenal have taken 64 points from 26 matches. Extend that across a season (and it’s only a 12-match extension) to give you 94 points – that’s one less than the record total in a Premier League season.

The insistence of Arsenal fans to deprecate the title chances of their club are borne not just out of experience, but also self-preservation. It’s been too long and it’s hurt too much to get excited now, and football’s eternal warning must be followed – it’s the hope that kills you, not the disappointment.

The second most popular response focused on the club’s lack of strength in depth, an obvious result given the numerous summer departures and comparatively scant (in quantitative terms) replacements. But, against Liverpool on Saturday, Arsenal named a starting XI without Nacho Monreal, Thomas Vermaelen, Theo Walcott, Lukas Podolski, Carl Jenkinson, Matthieu Flamini, Alex Oxlade-Chaberlain and Serge Gnabry. 14 full internationals within the club’s squad failed to start the game. This isn’t panic stations.

One of the most significant impacts of the establishment of English football’s nouveau riche is that Chelsea and Manchester City have distorted our expectations of what a title-challenging squad needs to look like. Arsenal may not have the embarrassment of options at the easy grasp of Manuel Pellegrini (£114m on the bench on Saturday) and Jose Mourinho (£86m), but Arsene Wenger is by no means dealing with threadbare resources.

There is a relevant point to make regarding the lack of striking options in reserve at the Emirates (although Podolski could return within a month), but with a transfer window just two months away, that become less of an issue with each passing fixture.

That is not to say that Arsenal will win the league, but in a Premier League campaign increasingly defined by the teams at the top being overturned by those below, Arsenal are demonstrating a hunger and ability to remain on top of the pile.

“We live in a world where you are questioned,” was Wenger’s rather philosophical response to Saturday’s victory. “The only response we can give is on the football pitch. I said that many times and that is part of our job. I am pleased we have won a big game at home, I think it was important for the future.” By the “the future”, Wenger means Dortmund on Wednesday and Old Trafford on Sunday. More tests and hoops to jump through for sure but, right now, Arsenal seem eager to impress.

A question that before Saturday existed as ‘How long will it last?’ is slowly morphing into ‘They couldn’t, could they?’ As Arsenal’s certainty grows, that of their rivals is diminishing. On Saturday evening we saw something approaching the real deal.

20. Norfolk Gooner says:

That’s a fine comment GN5, well worthy of a post on it’s own.

I can only quote Winston Churchill after the Battle of Britain “Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning”.

21. TT says:

Nice post, LB. Because I did not follow Arsenal much when Bendtner was… um… misbehaving, I see him with a clean slate, so to speak. He appears to be a rusty, but endeavoring, player. I missed his performance against Chelsea—and from what I’ve read, it wasn’t good—but his effort during the WBA game impressed me.

Perhaps also, before he can make a bigger impact he needs to gain his teammates’ trust, which one needs to play as lone striker and pivot of attack.

Some people compare Bendtner and Giroud defensive contributions. We are spoiled by Giroud’s great attitude I must say. When I look at how other “big men” defend, I think Arsenal are so lucky with Giroud.

Norfolk,

I didn’t mean to make it look as though I wrote the article, I wish it had been as I share the writers opinions.

It was actually written by Daniel Storey on Football365 and it’s the first part of and extremely long article.

23. Norfolk Gooner says:

GN5, Thanks for bringing it to my attention, I shall go and read it in full.

Nice one LB

Course Bentdners been treated unfairly. Every time a bloke represents the Club we should get behind him and encourage. I dont even boo opponents. Its disrespectful and unworthy of the majesty that is Arsenal.

Quick question to the booers and general stick givers. I have noticed that when giving stick the face becomes contorted and flushed. Does this mean that when indulging this stick one becomes some what aroused?

I ask this because my doctor has given me some pills but they dont seem to be working. If I have confirmation from some stick givers that been a twat could help me, then next game before the stewards chuck me out i will make Ozil cry.

25. 26may1989 says:

Norfolk, I think it’s a cut and paste from Football365, but well done to GN5 for circulating it, very interesting item.

Off to Germany with Didit.

I expect Nik to score in the 85th minute and resurrect his career. A header like a phoenix rising from the flames

Nice one LB. I thought about what I was going to say and found that Raddy at 9.54 has echoed my thoughts word for word. If we need him at the moment and he pulls on the shirt then it can only be counter-productive to the club as a whole if the fans don’t support him.

What he said was ill advised but I don’t have a hatred of him. It doesn’t matter to me if he is not in the long term plans (which is almost a cert to me anyway). He is here now and if he puts on a couple of decent performances and gets a couple of goals that helps us to secure good wins then great for us. If it puts him in the shop window and helps him secure a new club then great for him. A win win situation.

28. Räsp says:

Thanks LB, Bendy is a riddle wrapped up in an enigma. It would be easy to dismiss him if his record at International level was not so good – but it is very good?

The booing bit is a gimme – never boo our own under any circumstance … end of.

As regards his quality; he’s 25 now and his first touch still seems to let him down at vital moments so I don’t think he fits in with our way of playing – at least as a first choice striker. Similarly the fact that he is good in the air does not offer much to our team. Giroud is a far better front man. Is Bendy better than Podolski and good enough for Arsenal’s second choice striker … no, not in my opinion. So I agree with others, I hope his motivation to impress and put himself in the shop window for a move to a relatively big club is successful, good luck to him.

29. 26may1989 says:

Sorry GN5 and Norfolk, my comment crossed with yours.

30. Mike says:

Bendtner is a tool. I think his Dad is too, because as his agent, he’s given him plenty of poor advice over the years. He’s the personnification of what is wrong with SOME players today, make the money first, then maybe prove themselves. Arsenal stood by him with a very good contract (hence why he hasn’t left yet !!) but instead of knuckling down to prove he is TGSTEL, he expected/demanded to play as a central striker in the 1st team. Since there was nothing to suggest that should happen, he sulked his way out of the team. I don’t think he should be given “credit” for “coming back” and “applying” himself, he’s being well paid already to do that. Nor should he be booed or ridiculed. He needs to be regarded as a squad member who should be used when needed to the benefit of Arsenal FC, and depending on needs, whatever happens in the future will take care of itself. As long as he displays effort and desire on the field, I’m behind him.

31. Norfolk Gooner says:

The general consensus seems to be that Nik should not be booed, he should be encouraged, and supported for as long as he is an Arsenal player. The January transfer window is looming and presumably he will depart then, providing Podolski is fit and Walcott has returned to first team action. The question then arises, should we sell him to a rival club? If the answer to that is no, then I suppose his best destination would be Spurs.

32. evönne says:

Hi LB, interesting subject. I had a heated discussion with so called Arsenal supporter on Sunday, during which he said he cannot stand the sight of Bendtner. I had almost accepted his opinion on NB until he said that Wenger has finally bowed to pressure from the fans and spent some money on a decent player. At that point I knew the geezer was a tube and left him to talk to himself.

No, Nic has done nothing wrong, quite the opposite – working hard and trying his best. But I am afraid it is too little too late from him and he may actually benefit from moving elsewhere. So if he finds anybody to pay his wages, he should grab the chance and run with it. I wish him luck and will always be grateful for the memorable moment when he came on the pitch and within a minute scored against Scum. I was there, a beautiful moment.

Thanks for the post, always a pleasure to read yours.

Thanks Evonne

I think you sum it up well when you say that for Nicky B it is “too little too late”.

Mike’s opening line made me laugh.

“Bendtner is a tool”

35. arnie says:

Nice post, LB. Two quick points.

First, Bendtner’s collection of brownie points is in arrears, at least with the fans. That having said, he is in the team for a purpose. He is the best second-best to Ollie we can find at the moment. And therefore, whenever he plays for the team, he deserves everyone’s support. Just think about the counterfactual. If he does not play, Giroud would be even more over-worked. And this is certainly bad for the team. If, and a big if at that, we can find a good player, good enough to be Giroud’s replacement, perhaps a 70 min substitute, then fine. Otherwise, we have to do with Nic I am afraid, and let us try and help him do his best.

Second, do we need another striker in January? Personally, I think the verdict is still out. We will know in December. In any case, we have to give both Ollie and Giroud full support until then.

Let us see, perhaps one last time, whether Bendy can justify the faith Arsene, and the club, has placed on him.

36. 26may1989 says:

Bloody hell, what a cheat Ashley Young is. What a diving cheat…

But Robin misses the pen!

The eagles.have landed
    Broadsword and Dannyboy safely parachuted in behind enemy lines
    Now on beer

Haha, which one is Broadsword?

40. arnie says:

Broadsword and Dannyboy: have fun and help the the good guys to a win!!!! :D :D

41. arnie says:

Young – what a cheat!!!!!

42. 26may1989 says:

United’s preparations for Sunday:

Hernandez misses sitter
    Young dives
    Van Persie misses penalty
    Fellaini gets sent off

43. arnie says:

26may: and Moysie says they played very well …. :D :D

44. 26may1989 says:

Did he? Bloody hell, the pressure must be getting to him.

45. arnie says:

yes, 26may, he was asked about his reflections on the next game, he said: “We really played well today, you know”

46. 26may1989 says:

We haven’t won at Old Trafford for seven years but Sunday is the best chance we’ve had to end that sad sequence. Tomorrow’s game is big but it’s Sunday that’s getting me buzzing already.

Dannyboy Off the litres of beer stop
    Now on schnapps stop
    Not looking at all good stop
    Sit rep tomorrow stop
    Over and out

48. neamman says:

yes certainly unfairly treated

49. 26may1989 says:

Roger that dannyboy stop
    Is broadsword down stop
    Out

Nice one LB
    It’s simple for me: he wears an Arsenal shirt, I support him…

Broadsword calling Dannyboy
    Are you reading me. Over
    Helga gone stop
    Safe to appear stop

Aaaaaah Mickeee I will saay zis only once

Stop with the Allo Allo gags :D

I assume that’s a photoshop image of our German legion? If not it’s a little bit cocky :D

Dannyboy still down stop
    Maybe doing pre match stop
    Broadsword ready for action stop
    Into Dusseldorf am then up to Dortmund pm stop
    Speaking to Gooners on plane and away fans in Germany get free public transport travel with ticket.
    Jerrys don’t give us a hope
    Situation perfect for a great away win

Exile
    Allo Allo????
    Where Eagles Dare, dear.
    How dare you

58. evönne says:

micky :) let Raddy sleep for Dennis’ sake, he is on holidays (again)

It was the Helga reference that threw me…..and the fact I don’t think I’ve seen Where Eagles Dare :oops:

Micky that free travel with ticket applies to every Matchday in Bundesliga for home and away teams. Add that to what are pretty cheap tickets anyway and there is a very good reason why Bundesliga games are well supported.

61. evönne says:

Not seen Where Eagles Dare??? psshhhh….youngsters these days, honestly

If we lose tonight,are we out of CL?

Exile
    Anyone would think the Germany authorities actually like football fans :-)

Morning Yvonne
    The biggest fear is not going out of the cl But coming third and Thursday football

Still, we will win
    Bye for now

There’s a New Post ……………..