Young Guns Primed …. The Return of the Striking Viking?

The games coming like London busses. The Interlull followed by two games a week – but tonight we have the very enjoyable opportunity to see how deep our squad is.

Whether we win or not depends upon how WBA and Steve Clarke approach the game. If as I suspect they put out a first 11 then we are in for a tough evening, if like AFC they go with a weakened team, then we should see an exciting game.

The Capital/Milk/Rumbelow’s/League/Littlewood’s Cup is one we should have won in the past couple of years. The painful loss to the soon-to-be relegated Birmingham is a memory which needs to be replaced by silverware, but my guess is that Mr Wenger will insist his priorities lie elsewhere. Inevitable given our growing injury list.

The one area we could not “stomach” another injury was the attack. With Ox and Pod both out for the foreseeable future it is a blow to hear of Theo’s injury. Young Didit told me over the summer that Mr Walcott was our most valuable player and much would rest upon his fitness – I have to agree. Theo gives something to the team no-one else can and that is searing pace; he may not be the most lethal striker but he scares the bejeesus out of defenders.

It will be a big night for one of our players in particular – you know the one – that Danish nutter. It is good he will make his return away from the “cauldron” that is the Emirates, a cynical crowd could badly affect him. If Nik hits the ground running he could be a major player for us, sadly the evidence of the past few seasons suggests it may be a forlorn hope.

Unbelievably Fabianski was injured on Friday!  I really feel for the man – he has done nothing wrong and yet every time he gets an opportunity he suffers an injury.

Gnabry’s promotion to the first team causes problems. He will be needed at the weekend and this opens up a place for either another MF – Eisfeld most probably or another forward. . Little has been mentioned about our missing man, Mr Park. He is back in training with the first team, so why not let him try and earn his corn?

Unknown

Come on Arsene, Make the Marketing Dept. happy

We have some experience in the squad and the game is well timed for the return of our Club Captain and the man with Lego hair.

My team:

001cc1

We can have one of our midfield geniuses on the bench in case of problems, but my inclusion of Park (no, it’s not a joke :-D ) shows just how bare the cupboard is. Of course, Mr Wenger could choose to start Akpom but I think his time will come – he doesn’t appear strong enough as yet.

As to West Brom. Quite frankly I know next to nothing about them (apart from them employing traitor Anelka.) I am sure they are hard-working and will sweat blood to beat the Mighty Gunners. However, much like the first team, your pre-match writer is taking a day off from researching the opposition!

Much depends upon how Mr Wenger views the CC.  I think he views it purely as a chance to give his youth players experience and if they do well then review at a later stage, as such the draw of a PL side away from home was unfortunate. However, a trophy is there to be won, so let’s go out and win one.

images

Just because it makes me happy

COYRRG

written by Big Raddy

247 Responses to Young Guns Primed …. The Return of the Striking Viking?

1. Kunle says:

As much I am not a fan of Bendtner, I have a itching hunch that he is going to be a big part of our season! I seriously feel that he’s going to give it his all and come good for us, if only to prove a point. I sincerely hopes he confirms my hunch, gunners should please remember that once he pulls on that jersey he becomes a part of the sum and as such should encourage him to come good and deliver, what is important is what we as the Arsenal achieve at the end of the day.

Kunle

Totally agree.

If I had been inside Bendy’s Boots at 21 with his cash and fertility, I would definitely have been ten times worse.

A grown up and hungry Bendtner could still be a very good player for us.

Thank you Mr Raddy.

Damn hard line up to predict, so good shout. It will be interesting, and I hope I find somewhere to watch the game.

Just to clarify my “most valuable player” comments on Theo. I meant most irreplaceable as he has no likey understudy.

His contribution last season was enormous, and even goals and passes aside, he worries defenders with good reason.

Nice one, BR.
    That front 6 looks a bit scary.

If Park is in the named Premiership squad, how does that fit with him supposedly written off against tax?
    Was that another internet lie?

5. Norfolk Gooner says:

Good morning to you all,

A special greeting and thanks to BR for an impressive pre-match.

On tonight’s team selection as I know nothing about Viviano, I hadn’t even heard of him untill Wenger signed him up, I’ll simply wish him the best of luck on his Arsenal Debut.

Raddy’s back four looks good enough for any Premiership side and with Frimpong sitting in front of them they shouldn’t have too many problems.

Arteta and Myachi in midfield will be fine, I’ve never seen Olsson play so have no comment to make on him.

Bendtner and Park? Hmm! Both players should have something to prove, Park just cannot be as bad as he seems, Bendtner can be very good, if his attitude is right.

I don’t think Albion are that much of a threat (famous last words) I’ll go for two or three one to The Gunners.

6. Norfolk Gooner says:

I’ve just looked at Arsenal.com and the announced squad does not include Koscielny, so it looks as though Mertesacker will be alongside TV.

Chas

Sooo, you and Ant travelling to the game, eh?

Train? Beer? Mobiles in hand? A Show?

8. Thanks for the PM Big and Randy, the squad as named by Arse.com for tonight’s game is:

4 Per Mertesacker
    40 Hector Bellerin
    42 Thomas Eisfeld
    44 Serge Gnabry
    45 Isaac Hayden
    53 Kristoffer Olsson
    60 Alex Iwobi

There’s a heck of a lot of “Who the hell is he?” in that squad, as you’d expect.

9. Bïg Räddy says:

chas. Park is in the squad so it must be internet nonsense.

Frimpong must be injured, so Flamini is likely to get another game. Could be a riveting game with Arteta pushed further forward and Flamster taking his DM role.

10. Norfolk Gooner says:

On a closer look at the squad, Frimpong is absent, BR your selection is getting more and more threadbare by the minute. :D

11. Norfolk Gooner says:

Gotta go, time for a swim.

Thanks for that list, Chary.

Blimey, isn’t giving someone a shirt number of 60 just plain rude?

Perhaps, Number 11b may have been more sensitive.

13. 26may1989 says:

Nice PM, Mr Raddy.

Based on the announced squad, my guess would be a 442:

———– Fabianski
    Jenks Mert Verm Monreal
    Ryo Arteta Flamini Gnabry
    ———Bendtner Park

But will Wenger want to risk Gnabry? Or would it be better to use Eisfeld, Olsson or Akpom instead? Will he try and stick to a 4231 formation, and have Park or Bendy playing in one of the AM positions? Will he even want to use Park at all? Is Fabianski OK to play, or will Viviano get his debut?

Plenty that remains unclear. But at least we should be very solid in defence and DM.

14. 11b not 60, MDi89 ? Que ?

Looking at the squad list I’d go with Flappy, Jenks. BFG, Vermaelen, Nacho, Arteta, Flamini, Eisfeld, Gnabry, Bendy and Park.

Mind you, I’d a thought BFG could’ve done with a rest.

15. Shard says:

So no Kos and no Frimpong, and Fabianski is in the squad. BR should be made to stand in the corner for not doing his homework :)

I think Isaac Hayden might get a start, either in defense, or more likely, in midfield, with Arteta and one of Eisfeld or Olsson. I’d prefer Park to play on the left and Ryo on the right because Gnabry will get games in the league as well with Theo out. Bendtner up top.

Hopefully we get a couple of early goals so we can give the likes of Akpom and Bellerin a run out. Maybe even Iwobi (whose inclusion has come as a total surprise to me) I know it’s a trophy, and one Wenger hasn’t won yet, but the fun of a league cup game wouldn’t be there if a few kids didn’t get to play.

I always thought Bendtner had enough talent to become one of the best ‘big men’ in the game. His touch was poor at times, but good other times, and he had some good finishing and passing. I thought a few years ago, he compared favourably with Berbatov. That statement looks stupid now, but talent was not Bendtner’s problem. Hopefully his samurai looks also indicate a willingness to give his all for the cause. We could definitely do with him and Park doing their own careers a little boost.

16. arnie says:

Pretty good work, Raddy. Tough prediction game, I agree. I will be surprised is your lineup starts. But as good as any other guess.

Personally, I will be happy to see Hayden and Gnabry in action as well. Starting in place of Kos and Olsson, I would suggest. But Albion will be strong, so there will probably be several changes in 2nd half. Tough balancing act as usual, between providing experience and exposure to the academy kids, being competitive and protecting kids from assault, and protecting first team from fatigue and injury.

Kunle and Micky: agree somewhat on Bendy. I would like to see him play, and will show him support. How much heart he has is a question somewhat up in the air, though. I think he has lost his chance to play for Denmark any way. Good question, Micky. What would I do if I were Bendy? A tough one. I hope he is game to try and prove a point.

17. arnie says:

Forgot to mention Akpom and Zelalem. Will be happy to see tham at some point as well.

18. Arnie, Zelalem (duhdo-do-doo-doo) is not in the squad, I think he’s crocked, just like the Diaby wannabe Sanogogogogogo.

19. arnie says:

Chary, thanks. Oh dear!!!! Just wondering: did the word crocked originate from crockery, or the other way round. In any case, the connection is worth thinking about.

The other player I am somewhat excited about is Viviano. Italy GK no 2, has to be somewhat good I think. I saw some clips previously, and saw somewhat dodgy handling, but brilliant reflexes and point blank saves. Several penalties as well.

20. Shard says:

Chary

Don’t forget Afobe, Toral and Yennaris.

Poor Afobe could have had a chance this season, but he seems to always get injured at moments when he has to prove himself.

Nice write up Raddy but I wouldn’t second guess the team that starts tonight.

Weighing everything up and our current list of players actually available it might be a year where the result doesn’t matter as long as those coming back from injury get a good run out and the youngsters get a feel (which to them) is a big game and can give a chance to make a marker for future selection.

Of course Park might get a hatrick :) and all will be well.

22. Danny says:

Raddy, thanks for the Bertie Mee picture, nothing can beat that feeling of May 8th 1971, you can see it written all over his face.

23. Bïg Räddy says:

Danny. My pleasure. Sometimes writing the post allows me to indulge myself :-)

It appears Fabianski was out on Friday due to illness, not as I assumed injury. Mea Culpa.

If Nik does well tonight it will be well timed because I will bet LB’s hat that he starts at Swansea ahead of Gnabry (or we will go with 5 MF’s)

Apparently Fabianski is in goal tonight.

When i think of WBA I think of the last game of the season when Fullop was in goal. He never played for them again.

25. arnie says:

Arsenal won the last League Cup meeting against Albion in September 2009, Sanchez Watt and Carlos Vela the scorers in a 2-0 victory at the Emirates. Anyone remember these two guys? All previous League Cup meetings ended 2-0 to the good guys. Let it be Bendy and Gnabry or Miyachi or any other Academy kid tonight.

26. Shard, it looks like the injury curse has struck the stiffs as well as the first team.

Arnie, I think “crocked” is an aussie term primarily, though I’m not 100% on that.

27. arnie says:

Thanks, Chary. Whatever it is, the vision of beuatiful “crocked” Arsenal players under glue treatment on a shelf brought a smile! ha ha ha.

28. 26may1989 says:

I’ve just seen a video of the Vertonghen foul on the Villa guy, Helenius, where the Spud pulls down the striker’s shorts when he was in on goal and about to shoot. Aside from the comic element, it is staggering to see a perfectly well positioned referee not give the penalty and more importantly the red card to Spurs’ only good defender.

Ignoring the injustice to Villa on the night, Vertonghen should be banned from playing in the crucial game against Chelsea at the weekend. If Spurs get anything from that game, last night’s referee could easily be said to have affected the title race. Not that I want Chelsea to win, but such rank incompetence is extremely frustrating.

The video is here if anyone wants to see it: http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/aston-villa-fc/2013/09/25/video-aston-villa-striker-nicklas-helenius-has-shorts-pulled-down-by-spurs-jan-vertonghen/.

29. arnie says:

26may: Agree, and also the GK should have seen red for handling outside the box against poor Cardiff. I do not know how people can be so blind when they discuss cheats. Unfortunately, we live in a consumerist world where people love to spend, and see other people spend, beyond their means!

Thats my rant over for the time being, and I am already feeling relieved!!!!!

30. 26may1989 says:

Hi arnie. I didn’t feel as annoyed about the Lloris one, as his contact with the ball outside the penalty area was for no more than a tiny fraction of a second, and to be certain one really had to see it in slow motion. The referee last night had a direct, unimpeded view of the foul, there is simply no scope for anything other than calling the foul, which had to bring a red card.

31. TT says:

BR, you weren’t far off about Fabianski though:

[Quoting Arsenal.com]

“In addition Wenger has an interesting choice to make in goal. Lukasz Fabianski needs a game having been kept out all season by Wojciech Szczesny’s fine form. But the former did suffer a nasal injury in training and new signing Emiliano Viviano has Serie A experience and Italian caps on his CV.”

32. arnie says:

26may: Agree. The one yesterday was blatant. Unfortunately, it seems refs are swayed by public opinion fed by the media.

Yes, the Lloris one was marginal, but so was the tug on Lloris from the corner. Apparently, the ref had a clear view on one, and not the other. It cannot cut both ways, but it does often, particularly when MONEY talks!

I agree that the one yesterday was more blatant, But this makes the point even more strongly.

SHITE REFS are one of the reasons our club and national teams are poor in Europe and the World.

33. jnyc says:

People have speculated that arsene would have a couple more regulars in the team, but—- i love this— it shows that he is totally serious about our position in the league, and not taking even the slightest risk to our top players.

34. arnie says:

jync: Good point, and he is also committed to the Academy project, which we like, dont we?

35. Evönne says:

Dear King of PM, thank you very much for yet another great post!
    I am not sure about this Cup and even less sure about Bendtner.
    I am looking forward to the game, because Arsenal are playing, ,but frankly I couldn’t care less if we played youngsters and lost. One less competition to worry about, and competition that is hardly important.

Hold on a second, a just had a thought – why is the Capital One Cup less important than the FA cup? They are as tough as each other, no leeways there. Is it because winning the latter gives a team a place in Europe? Actually, I have changed my mind, I do care about winning this cup!

Bendtner – hm…..he has been training hard, he knows that no other club wanted him, he is still only 25 and has no choice but try hard, really hard. But wanting to play well is not the same as being able to play well, can he do it? No idea, we have to wait and see. I would like him to be a terrific strikers once again, for obvious reasons, but would hate it if his resurgence stopped AW from buying Suarez or Rooney in January

Thanks once again!

Sounds like some poor refereeing decisions being made recently, when this happens refs usually try and publically do something about it.

I wonder who they will pick on?

37. arnie says:

LB: you are getting me scared now!!!!!

Evonne: If the young guys can win something, with the help perhaps of a few first team players, nothing wrong with it. this is what he have done in the past. looking forward to a good game, hopefully a win, so we can see the young brigade again.

Micky,
    Ant is driving. Again.
    We’re going back there on the train on 6th Oct, but there’s no wifi on that train as there is to London. Ant likes his ipad for blogging.

Nice one BR

For a change I won’t be able to watch the match – will have to watch it on Arsenal Player later.

Definitely give all the fringe players a run out and to hell with the result.

Wiziwig is now saying that the match will be shown by Al Jazeera Sport, BeIN Sport Max and others so there will be streams.

41. arnie says:

chas: pls will you send address for a stream when the moment arrives. otherwise, I will have to sit and bite my fingernails …..

arnie,
    Streams will appear on this page in the link but only an hour before kick off. I’ll be on my way to the ground so won’t be able to post later.

43. Evönne says:

11b shirt :) priceless

44. arnie says:

fantastic, thanks a lot, chas

45. Evönne says:

arnie – and if you can afford £7 for 2 months, you can try this guys:

I just running through my “calm down Didit” routine, in case I don’t get to watch the game. Again :-(

I’m nervous as it is about the prospect of losing a First XI’er to injury. Do we HAVE to play Mert, Arteta and so on?

47. Bïg Räddy says:

Didit. Your non-viewing has resulted in successive wins. Please don’t watch tonight ….. just join in the banter

48. dhakka09 says:

Return of the Nord

The Nordic Warrior, Niklas Bendtnord, long-forgotten and now even despised by some, ambled through the empty road of Arse-village. There was a reason to the emptiness; the injury-plague rampant on the village had many on their sick-beds. Young Diabello who was a fine warrior and had plenty interesting stories to tell the children about Bendtnordor was already old and drowning in his medicine now. Children looked on from their windows at Bendtnord anyway and remembered their mothers teaching them not to be like him; but to their young eyes, he looked fine and dandy in his golden locks. General Wenger sure could use a warm-blooded adult Nordic raised on the streets of Arse-village, however vilified he may have been.

General Wenger greeted him at the doors of village-church, Emeralds, before giving a disapproving look to his rusty sword and mail. General Wenger remembered the early promise held by his now wayward prodigy, He remembered sending him to distant land, Juventellus, so he could forget the pain of not being able to mould him into a warrior of his liking.

“I didn’t give up on you even when you gave up on yourself, you know”, General cleared his throat before speaking.

“I realize that now, General. I chased after women and rum for too long. Let me go into this battle alongside you. I may have lost this village’s faith but I haven’t lost what I learnt from you. Give me a chance to prove against Albioners.”, the Nord’s words were sweet but Wenger, the battle-hardened general, was nowadays more cautious and wary of deceit.

“You get one last chance, Bendtnord. If you could prove to me in this battle that those legs still have some Nordic blood running through its veins and not just streams of rum, you may have earned your redemption. Now, get on that horse and lead from the front. My knights Gnabrelli and Miyachi will flank you on either side.”

The last we saw of him, Bendtnord’s lofty locks were seen flying in the wind and blinding the onlookers as General Wenger led his troops to the battle against the Albioners. But as old adege goes, ‘all that glitters may not be gold’ it remains to be seen whether the Nord that we loved once upon a time has earned his final redemption on the battlefield of Albioners.

Raddy

I’ve got the bottom of my problem. I have, or have not, been/not been running Java. Or not.

Had I been on my other laptop, I would have seen two more games :-(

I even did my surfing earlier this afternoon so that I could be Match Ready :-)

Ok dhakka09,

That is the weirdest comment I have read. My fear is that the one who goes by the name of Charybdis will read it.

I rather fancy he is one of those Arthurian Legend Loon Types, and will sign you up :-)

51. dhakka09 says:

haha Micky, I have been known to have propensity for weirdness from time to time. You’ll get more used to it, I promise :P

Bloody hell, dhakka09, are you an Arthurian Legend Loon?

Maybe every good Arsenal site should have one :-)

Tell you what, I live close to Tintagel, where The Loons believe Arthur and Merlin hung out. You get all sorts down there, and most of them talk funny. Like you :-)

54. Bïg Räddy says:

Dhakkar. Did you write that? Living in those Nordic lands I am bonded to the runes and the longships.

Bentnord is one of our warriors and when clad in the red and white (or yellow and blue) uniform we only leave the battle field victorious or laying upon our shields.

55. Bïg Räddy says:

Didit. I have been to Tintagel and supped with the fine body of men you call “loons”.

I thought you liked people who think out of the box!

Oh Jees, not you too Raddy!

57. dhakka09 says:

Micky: haha, it’s a fair far distance from here but I’ll make a note to myself
    Big Raddy: yes, I wrote it. The title of this blog-post planted the idea in my head and since the Inception was done by this website, I’m not entirely to be blamed for the comment.

58. Bïg Räddy says:

I have the whole shebang hidden very deep in my basement: longsword, metal hat, tunic …. in fact I will send you a pic :-D

59. Bïg Räddy says:

D09 No blame apportioned. I really enjoyed it.

60. dhakka09 says:

thanx BigRaddy, maybe I’ll meet you at the afore-mentioned Tintagel and we could then hang-out like Arthur and Merlin; What do you think of the plan, Micky? Wanna join? :P

Raddy
    You must meet my mate Rem. In short. Sings sea shanties. Is an inshore fisherman. Takes the odd tourists out. Called him one day, and said I was bringing some children and would he take us out mackerel fishing. We went, along with four paying tourists. We passed a well known cave in the cliffs and Rem launched into his “that be the genuine Merlin’s cave”.
    I gave him the “what the fuck are you on about” look. Later, back in harbour, he told me he had written a booklet about this Merlin’s Cave, stuck in Amazon, and reckons he has flogged three hundred copies!! Good for business.
    Rem is an out-of-the-box thinker, and I love him :-)

Oh, alright then dhakka09. I’ll be there :-(

63. Bïg Räddy says:

Sounds like a top bloke to me.

D09 Meet you at Tintagel – about 2000 miles further for you!

64. Evening all, nice prematch and good guess at a starting line up, seems Arsene has gone for a very mixed squad, think i would have preferred a bit less mixing, and just start the following:

…………………..Viviano…………………
    Jenks….Verm…Hayden….Monreal
    …………………Arteta……………………
    ………???????………….Eisfield………
    Ryo…………..NikB…………..Gnabry

PS Just seen Chas will get £2.50 off every future away game ticket (as will all fans travelling away) as a thank you from the club.

Ok its not free coach travel a la Stoke, but its a start, and for a lot of those guys that have been going away for years to suddenly give free coach travel could result in the stalwarts not being able to get tickets as demand would increase……and it’s pretty high already!

Raddy, he is. Do anything to turn a penny. Mind you he needs to, has many children by many women. And I do mean many.

66. By the way i don’t really care about winning the COC.

For me its not significant enough to silence the critics, and at this stage of the season, CL and PL are more important. I may change my tune come November if neither of those are likely.

What is No 60, Alex Iwobi, and what and where does it perform?

A deadly striker perhaps? A giant CB?

Over to you Exile

68. dandan says:

Ah the en actors they gather in their fantasy world not far from here, amidst the mists of fenland. Should they happen upon you wearing a puritan likeness, then beware your head doesn’t leave your body to lie among one of the ruins you knocked about a bit.
    Seems to me some wore and carried heavy metal as well as living with the sounds of it. Obsessive nature perhaps? :-o

In the name of all that’s Holy….Dandan as well :-)

I guess that means you want to come to Tintagel as well, does it then Dandan?

70. Team is in, I was 2 away (and a ???), and 1 only because Fab1 recovered from his nasal injury

………….Fabianski………….
    Jenkinson…..BFG…..Verm…..Monreal
    …….Hayden……..Arteta……….
    ………….Eisfield…………….
    Miyachi……..Bendtner……….Gnabry

71. dandan says:

The clans are stirring :-) Micky

72. Micky according to Jeorge Bird he is 17, has played for England at Under 16 and 17.

Previosuly a winger now adjusting to playing just behind the front man………..hmmmmm

Exciting team but I was looking forward to the Wonder of Park

74. Evönne says:

DidIt – why did you mention Tintagel? are you scientologist?

Still cannot find a good stream, Goddamnit

75. Evönne says:

I thought Fab was injured

Thanks Exile.
    Off to hunt down Wiziwig

77. Irishgunner says:

Evonne – Fabianksi had a “nasal problem” according to Wenger

I’ve Bendy Boots nailed on for a hat-trick tonight

78. No Sopcast on Wiziwig but this looks a pretty good flash stream http://www.stadium-live.com/Channel4.html

Not on until 8pm though, some French game on at the moment

79. Evönne says:

thank you Irish for Fabianski explanation
    Bendy hat trick?? you was drinking girl

80. Irishgunner says:

Ha ha nope but I’m the eternal optimist and he’s playing for his career in the League Cup against West Brom, it’s possible :)

81. Has anyone found a stream?

Peaches look ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Evening Ladies

Lady P, follow Exile’s link, or it’s the top one on Wiziwig

Or was that just an underhand way of seeing who had one so who could write match report.

Problem with Flash streams is that if I refresh this page I might miss ten minutes of footy.

See you all at half time

85. Bïg Räddy says:

WBA have put out a very strong side.

Come on you Gunners

86. Evönne says:

it is live on Dannish TV
    What happened to Bendy? Is he injured?

87. Rubbish stream i was on, can’t watch football so staccato.

Keep me updated those who can

88. Wooohooo Sopcast up on wiziwig now…hopefully better

89. Irishgunner says:

Did you try the stream I put up GIE works fine for me

90. Evönne says:

russian sopcast doesn’t work

Is Bendy injured?

91. dandan says:

GIE its on five live extra if you dont mind sound only

92. Evönne says:

irish stream best so far

93. Irishgunner says:

Hayden lucky not to be off after that challenge

94. 26may1989 says:

Micky, that link is excellent. If you’re after images of fellatio rather than the footy…..

You can be disgusting at times 26, you really can :-)

96. Who’s enjoying this game then?

Poor chas & Ant. This has been poor.

NB not had a single decent pass. Both wingers out of their depth. Eisfeld anonymous. Hayden a very lucky boy to still be on the pitch.
    Arteta looking rusty as is TV.

Bring on The Flamster and put some passes into NB’s feet

What is disgusting, is that they’re showing Spud goals.

99. We’ve got them on too, are you watching in French Micky?

I gave up….my Internet speed is just not good enough to keep any semblance of a passage of play, I think we are building an attack then suddenly Fab1 is taking a GK, Irish stream was best Non SOPcast but still stopping every twenty seconds for me. Will go to R5 second half…old school ways.

Oui Madame P

102. Irishgunner says:

I know it’s no consolation but you are missing nothing GIE – an awful game, missed passes galore

103. 26may1989 says:

Don’t read anything into my 20 minute absence since my last comment….

Phil Brown is a surprisingly acceptable commentator on Radio 5.

Look Lads
    Peaches won’t be back now until the final whistle, so what say you, we all sneak out five minutes before the end, and hide ROLF

105. No ‘B’ team it would seem :(

106. Aha, what’s this, a plot to avoid me?

Bless our French Commentator. He’s doing everything to try and make it sound exciting.

A classic it ain’t, so try this. Scrunch up your eyes, and we look like Brazil :-)

Relax everyone, I’ll do the Match Report.

109. 26may1989 says:

Peaches, this is the C team, the B team’s injured. :)

110. He’s asleep so that’s not going to happen. When you impersonate someone you have to use a different email address Didit.

111. Oooooh it just got a bit better :)

112. arnie says:

Eisfeld scores…. yo hoo hoo

113. 26may1989 says:

And I hear Bendy got the assist.

114. 26may – you’re right, I forgot about the other lot.

115. DidIt says:

That’s gooooooood

116. Evönne says:

lovely goal!!

117. Was that a great pass from Nik for Eisfeld to slot home?

118. Irishgunner says:

Nice pass, nice finish

119. Hi Irish – what language are you watching in?

120. Irishgunner says:

It’s on an Arabic channel but with an English commentator who sounds familiar but I can’t place him

121. 26may1989 says:

Oh dear……

122. 26may1989 says:

So that means, in the sixth League Cup tie between us and West Brom, this will be the first one not to finish 2-0 to us.

Lost my feed for 5 mins and they bloody equalise.

Better game though

Myaichi is having a dire game. Have we no-one to replace him with?

Is Park on the bench?

125. 26may1989 says:

With Akpom on for Eisfeld, our remaining subs are Viviano, Olsson, Park, Flamini, Bellerin and Iwobi.

126. Evönne says:

how is that a yellow? harold webb

127. Micky they just said on R5 that Iwobi is JJ Okocha’s nephew

128. DidIt says:

Exile
    At least thy didn’t say George Weah’s Nephew :-)

Not happy about extra time. We look tired and lacking inspiration.

130. DidIt says:

Re a match report, we could pretend it never happened.

131. Evönne says:

Arteta injured, ffs

The 3 subs ages added together are younger than Arsene Wenger!

133. Evönne says:

if we win we have Chavs next :)

134. Evönne says:

totts have Hull,

135. I wonder what Danish tv are saying about Nik.

Come on boys, win this then hammer the Chavs at the Emirates

137. Evönne says:

what is Danish for Shite Raddy?
    He missed a wonderful chance
    His pass to Ryo was lovely, but that’s just about it

I think he is playing well considering how long he has been out. Leading the line and making telling passes. Brilliant tackle to deny him by Dawson but perhaps NBe could have shot earlier.

139. Evönne says:

yes Peaches, would you believe it? Sacrifices that one makes for that team!!

140. Evönne says:

if still a draw after extra time is it another game?

141. No, penalties next evonne

142. Evönne says:

Away fans – unbelievable, thanks guys!

143. Evönne says:

oh feck, penalties? I was sure it was a replay
    but I suppose you don’t get a replay after extra time, stupid me

144. 26may1989 says:

So if we do make through tonight, the tie against Chelsea would be midweek before our week of Liverpool-Dortmund-Man U.

145. Great 26, that sounds just perfect :(

26 And MU complain about their fixtures!

147. But team ‘C’ won’t mind ……..bring it on :lol:

I hate penalties.

Whatever happens the kids did us proud.

149. arnie says:

Yes, had to go away for a while, back again, and really enjoying this. Well done, kids, so far, now keep your heads up and shoot!!!!

150. Evönne says:

no Peaches, we don’t have teams A, B and C. This IS our team
    But let’s not project; I don’t think Fab saved a pen in his life, we are doomed :(

On a positive note – the blog is going to be busy tomorrow with all the Underminers crawling out of their hiding

151. IanRealGunner says:

Bendtner looks like an overweight unfit Sunday league player. Happy to offload as long as no running is involved

152. I know we say it every away game but the awayboyz are fantastic, well done to them

Our away support is awesome.

154. 26may1989 says:

Oh Serge……

155. That’s not good for Serge :(

156. 26may1989 says:

Excellent, level

157. 26may1989 says:

Sudden death now

158. Ooooooops x 2 ………

159. 26may1989 says:

Monreal!

160. arnie says:

OMG, they have done it

161. 26may1989 says:

What a come back in the penalty shoot out, and three pens from the kids.

162. Evönne says:

:) :) good night :) :)

163. Chelsea at home or away?

164. Irishgunner says:

Ya know what – that was sheer bravery from our kids tonight – did us dead proud. Bring it on Chelsea

165. 26 – can you write a few clever words for tomorrow please?

166. IanRealGunner says:

Irish,
    commentator was John Champion – if you were watching the Supersport feed

Monreal was very good tonight, as were the Corporal, BFG & Gnabry who has fantstic enery – definitely a star in the making

168. Home :) fantastic, who’s gonna come?

169. 26may1989 says:

The Yankee yachting team’s come back from 8-1 down might have been more impressive but this could be a great moment in the development of our youngsters.

League Cup Show on BBC1 in 20 mins.

170. dhakka09 says:

Yeyyy, Bring it on Chelsea.
    P.S: even before the penalty, Gnabry’s had been the most underwhelming performance of the day. I hope the bit can pick himself up from here.

171. 26may1989 says:

Peaches, you’re a sneaky one! Sure, based on whatever the Beeb chooses not to chuck on the editing room floor….

Serious question – did we win?

Can someone do a 2-line synopsis?

I’ve had no access to any media…

173. arnie says:

Thanks a lot, Chas, you made my day!!!!! And Evonne, I will ask you tomorrow about the Footy Report stuff

174. 26 – did you notice my plea? I know you’re going to be up for a while, can you pen a something for tomorrow please.

R5 team very complimentary about Akpom? What say esteemed AA folks, well done to him and Olssom for tucking pens home, and NikB and Monreal obviously.

Phil Brown particularly complimentary of Arsene putting faith in the youngsters and letting them play…..there are a few who should be knocking on the door lets hope they can get some outings in FA Cup and COC while we push for the league and CL double

By the way does this count as another away win?

176. arnie says:

Rocky, yes we won. Eisfeld scored (apparently Bendy assist), 62 mins, they equalised (I missed it), 71 mins, no more score in normal or extra time.

In penalties, Gnarby missed, Akpom (youngest p;layer on the pitch) scored, but two Albion players missed. Names I suppose are not important.

Arsenal win 5-4 on penalties

177. Rocky – rubbish first- half, couldn’t get control of the mid-field, second going the same way until we got a goal on 62 during a good spell of play which ended with West brom equalising on 71

Rocky on penalties yes we won

Thanks Arnie – brilliant mate!

The Quadruple is on!

180. arnie says:

Peaches: I will try and do one on Friday, for Monday or whenever….

And thanks Peaches and GiE :)

182. Irishgunner says:

That’s it – thanks Ian :)

183. I thought Bellerin was impressive too when he came on for Arteta. In reality we missed a player to drive play forward and poor Mert having to play 120 mins – no centre backs in the academy? Miquel and Djourou out on loan.

184. 26may1989 says:

Peaches, I take it you’ve seen my acceptance of the “invitation” – but in case not, YES, YES, YES, I will write something up, blinking through my insomniac haze!!!

185. Irishgunner says:

I thought Akpom and Bellerin were impressive when they came on

186. Thanks Arnie, look forward to it, we’ll need one for Friday if you want to take that slot ……..

187. Thank you dear sweet Mr 26may :)

188. arnie says:

Bellerin was fantastic, I liked Gnabry and Akpom as well, Miyachi worked hard, Eisfeld scored. What more do we want?

BFG was good, Verms and Arteta eased in well, Jenks and Monreal were solid I thought. No penetration and giving away too many balls, but this you expect from a young side. Shooting from too far, if one had to be really critical.

But Isaac is one lucky boy, hopefully he will learn fast, reasonable game from him though, apart from the challenge

189. Irishgunner says:

I must try and write one soon Peaches if I can think of anything interesting

190. arnie says:

Peaches: I was planning one looking towards Europe, the reason I suggested Monday, but leave it with me. I will confirm on Friday by lunchtime tomorrow.

191. Irishgunner says:

sh1te – sorry about that – good picture, click on it ;-)

192. 26may1989 says:

No word yet about Arteta is there?

Evening all, I have very mixed feelings about the game. Mertesacker our best CB having to play 120 mins? The madness of sending out Miquel on loan? do we really have no CB’s coming through?

There is no way we should play Merts against the chavs considering the games we have ahead. Our squad is too thin and this victory although good for the development for our youngsters is a game our senior players could do without.

194. arnie says:

worrying, 26may, very worrying, just returned from injury as well

195. Irishgunner says:

Arteta looked a bit like he had cramp

196. r0blucci says:

Let all the children boogie.” – David Bowie

We wonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn :-)

Ooops, went to bed at 10.00 thinking there was a replay.

Don’t mind not seeing the extra 30 mins, but I love penalty shoot-outs :-(

198. r0blucci says:

on being proud of his side…
    I am because we played with many young players and they have shown that not only are they good football players but they can fight as well. The penalties were a bit of a lottery but overall I think the most important thing for me is we played well during the game and the young players came out and showed they can play in the style we want to play.

on deciding the penalty takers…
    First of all they were the players who had not played for two hours and they were fresh, everybody else had cramps so you take in the end what’s left and they coped well with it.
    on a big ask for young players to take penalties…
    Yes but sometimes technically it’s not the most difficult, it’s more about dealing with the pressure.

on the experience for the players..
    It’s good to know you can win even when you think you are dead and tired but if you dig deep until the end you are rewarded. That’s a very important lesson for a young player because that will happen to them again. That was the most important thing about tonight. We kept going forward and tried to win the game until the end and that is very positive as well.
    on playing the young players in the next round…
    Honestly I don’t know yet because it depends on the injuries. Tonight I had no choice but to rotate because many senior players are out.

on the fans’ reception to Nicklas Bendtner…
    The fans were absolutely fantastic. Even when West Brom came back to 1-1 they encouraged us and they encouraged Nicklas. Overall I think he had a good game for a guy who has not played for such a long time on his own up front. He did very well.

on Bendtner’s chance…
    He took too much time. What happened to him is what happens to many strikers when they have too much time to score. Wait and wait and then wait for too long but overall I think his game was positive.

on Bendtner’s confidence…
    One thing you don’t question too much with him is his confidence. I believe for Nicklas Bendtner the most important thing is to stay fit physically and after that he has the talent. In England you know him well. For him it’s important that he’s consistently present and he works hard physically because he has the top qualities.

on the youngsters taking their chances…
    In our job we have all started when another player was injured. Unless you are Messi when you start because you are just a genius when you are 17 years old. You have opportunities that you have to grab with young players – when there are players who are injured they can show you have the quality.

on Mikel Arteta…
    He is fine, he just had cramp.

on being surprised that a German missed a penalty…
    No, but I know you are.

on renewing his rivalry with Mourinho…
    Of course it will be an interesting game. Even for the League Cup they have a very large squad so we know we will play a Premier League team. And on our side at home it will be interesting.

For me, Chavs at home in the CL would be fantastic.

In the CC, not so sure, for the reasons Rasp made.

What kind of team do we send out ahead of vital league and cl fixtures?

Thanks Rob
    Answers my question: “we will play a Premier League team”.

I wonder if he is being told from on high to make best efforts to win something to justify £42m spend to Kroenke.

A Premier League Team doesn’t mean our best team….assuming players have returned.

Rasp I agree I would probably have just sent the academy out and seen what happened.

However do feel like BFG is one of those that can just play games because he is not all about pace. And do wonder with Swansea’s pace whether he might play Verm/Kos on Saturday evening in Wales?

Big Big Yikes

Oct 29 Chelsea H
    Nov 2 Liverpool H
    Nov 6 Dortmund A
    Nov10 Manchester United A

All in 2 weeks :-(

Mind you, makes the three away points we bagged in Marseille look vital, and home wins against Naples and Dortmund, and maybe some rotation for the away fixture in Germany.

Verm/Kos against Swansea

Cracking idea Exile

Morning all

I saw the first half on a bad stream and listened to the rest on the radio.

Wenger didn’t really have a choice with so few players to chose from.

From what I saw Hayden was lucky not to be sent off but actually looked very promising,as did Ryo.Fab was good in goal but the point came home to me yet again that we really are in need of another quality striker.

Chelsea at home will be an even bigger test.

I agree with GIE about Verm/Kos.Mind you Swansea won’t be feeling that great after last night.

the worst thing about last night was that cannibal got all the headlines.

Wenger doesn’t like the Kids to get embarrassed, hence some Big Guns at the back, it’s always the same if you look back.

It might be case of the Kids did us proud and all that but their performances ranged from average to poor. The poorest being Ryo who was about as effective as a kimono in a rain storm.

Just as well I am not doing the player ratings, it seems people like to read happy things.

Fabianski did very well, BFG was calmness personified. Akpom and Embacillio brightened things up

Have to go.

I like our away kit but why didn’t we play in our home kit as there was no clash.

LB think you are right on the experience at the back….wasn’t normally the best centre back at the club though.

With the reserve league being abolished we now only have the Academy League (which I think is under 21) this means that our non regulars are all a lot younger, the lads like Hatden had a baptism of fire coming up against a senior PL midfield with only the experienced Arteta around him to help. Easier being one 17 year old amongst 10 senior players…..also easier if like Bellerin and Akpom you entered the gray with the opposition senior pros tiring.

Agree with Kelsey Hayden could have seen red under another official, however I think what saves him is he is sliding across the player rather than at the player.

Kelsey I think Nike would probably stipulate that the away kit has to be worn away from home regardless of clash. (Especially as this appears to be the last year of their contract so would prefer to maximise sales).

GIe

so basically we now have a 1st team and a 3rd team with a sprinkling of 1st team players for games like these.

Micky throws his shirt to the crowd. :)

214. Evönne says:

you are the adrenalin junkie DidIt. How can you like penalties? It is awful and so unfair. And poor lads that missed for Arsenal – this time Gnabry, and the goalie s***g himself. I cannot watch it, my heart beat goes off the scale

Hayden should get a red, but so should their player for a bad tackle in the second half

215. Evönne says:

Irish and Peaches – great pictures, made me feel bad coz most of the game I didn’t care if they won or were knocked out of this competition. My bad

26may – Sir Ben Ainsley – woooooooow!

216. Evönne says:

fair play to the Hammers, I didn’t know about this story

217. Bïg Räddy says:

I have to agree with LB’s assessment. Not a good performance but one which gave some valuable experience.

218. Bïg Räddy says:

evonne. Your link opens up another more serious discussion.

In brief, my opinion is …. what is the point of prison if a man cannot find redemption ? He committed a terrible crime, accepted it, was punished for it and now has the opportunity to create a better life for himself and all around him. Exactly what the system is set up for.

And what of forgiveness?

That said, he should be forced to contribute a percentage of his salary to his victims and to the education centre which helped him to become a pro footballer.

I agree with the idea that the BFG should be protected and we would have looked a bit dumb this morning if he had got injured but as for not being able to play on the weekend?

Nah.

He hardly runs anywhere, maybe twice a game he trots up for a corner. I reckon that if someone found one of the heat spot thingys that shows the area that he moved in, it would be no more that the size of a Volkswagen.

He runs two and a half K per game — tops; he will be fine for the weekend.

220. Evönne says:

You are right Raddy and I especially agree with the last paragraph. I more than anything applauded the West Ham fans for having morals (rightly or wrongly) rather than wanting glory at any cost. Also, for the club to take notice of the supporters’ views is a positive statement.

I am inclined to forgive just about any crime, but not one against defenseless children, women, men. I am evil

221. Evönne says:

LB – the Germans are very territorial and house proud, but he must be the first Kraut to know his place :)

I was disappointed with Eisfeld. I expected more from him but he never once seemed to be able to take control, put his foot on the ball, calm things down and make a pass that created a chance. He took his goal well enough but I don’t think he is anywhere near to knocking on the first team door.

223. Bïg Räddy says:

LB. I don’t think any of the kids on show are close to the first team.

Except Jenkinson who is still only 21,

Wow, I had completely forgotten that he is only 21.

Agree about the others.

Morning all, I was disappointed with Eisfeld too and Ryo showed once again he is a long way off first team football. The player that did impress me was Bellerin, his decision making and final ball were poor at times but I did like his surging runs through the midfield. He seems powerful and direct but also with pretty good ball control.

Morning Rasp

Yes, I agree with that. I have only ever seen him play right back so to be able to make that kind of an impact in midfield, and when I say impact I mean more effective than Arteta had been all game, it is no bad thing.

Thanks LB, I don’t really understand why all the ‘big’ PL clubs are putting out such strong sides in the CC1, I can only assume it is down to the fact that they are not doing so well in the PL at the moment, but I am happy with our strategy to give experience to the youngsters with a few more experienced heads.

Morning everyone ……