Marseille 1 Arsenal 2 : Breaking records again

M. Wenger must have breathed a sigh of relief that last night we were at least adding to the team that started against Sunderland rather than having another injury/sickness to deal with. For many of us watching it was a great relief to see Mertesacker return to the starting line up, and Sagna moving back to his more familiar full back role, this is nothing against the young man Jenkinson replaced but more to do with the calmness and organisation Mertesacker gives the team. The midfield and attack presently picks itself with so many regulars injured.

The Marseille home following were certainly keen to create an oppressive atmosphere and in the first half their team responded for them, it was uncomfortable viewing for most of it, passes going astray for us, and pressed at every opportunity when we looked to have few options, when we look back at the stats though it becomes clear that this is more about our expectations than the team performing too badly, we were pretty equal with Marseille in terms of possession and passing.

We were allowing them to play rather than stamping our authority on the game and we were giving them encouragement to continue their game plan with some wasteful use of the ball in and around the half way line. Thankfully for us they were not making the most of their pressure in the final third a free header sent wide with Szczesny stranded and later a useful clearance from BFG with the striker behind him, we were equally toothless and apart from Theo’s early effort (when he was probably being fouled) struggled to find a way through the Marseille defensive line.

The second half was a more open affair, Marseille struggled to press us as effectively as they tired and we started to play the channels more and have more of the game, Marseille also kept probing and Szczesny was called upon several times to show good handling and deal with shots from distance.

With fifteen minutes of the second half gone it could have easily been a different story, a hopeful cross from our right had BFG swinging a right leg as Szczesny came to claim, the ball looped over the latter but thankfully Gibbs reacted to head the ball off the line and back into Szczesny’s hands.

Five minutes later saw us take the lead, another overlapping run by Gibbs saw him deliver a good cross into a threatening area, Marseille’s left back made a hash of the clearance and the ball looped up towards Theo, who waited for what seemed an eternity before smashing a volley into the net. This was such a good finish, anyone who has played football will know what it is like waiting for the ball to drop, how many times do you see players snatch at it thinking they have less time and failing to make good contact, Theo set himself kept his eyes on the ball and cracked it home.

Theo like Thierry

Half chances came and went at either end, Szczesny dealing with everything coming his way and us nearly finding a way through for the second.

The second goal came from our man of the moment Aaron Ramsey, receiving the ball from Gibbs and with white shirts in attendance he spun and drove into the box before finishing into the bottom corner (with the aid of a little deflection). Watch this goal again if you don’t believe me but Giroud was key to this goal, his run took two defenders away and Ramsey had the room to burst into.

Gibbs and Rambo v Marseille

Unfortunately we blotted our copybook at the very end by giving away a sloppy penalty, tired legs from Ramsey (its about time he looked a little leggy given the yards he puts in) saw him take a heavy touch and was adjudged to have fouled the forward as he tried to recover. Szczesny could do nothing about the penalty but thankfully there was not long left so we didn’t have to sweat on the result for long.

10 away games won on the trot a new club record and much deserved for this group of players that are really starting to repay the belief the manager has placed in them.

Win the three home games and we will see the knockout round.

Ratings:

Szczesny – 8 A solid display from the young Pole, great handling and comfortable shot stopping all night. Didn’t actually have to make any worldies and you would be disappointed if he had conceded any of the shots on target.

Sagna – 7 Not his most prolific display but did the important stuff well

Mertesacker – 7 Minor blip with the Gibbs goalline clearance, but otherwise the usual reliability we have come to expect.

Koscielny – 8 A solid commanding performance, constantly pressures the forwards high up the pitch gives them little space and competes for everything.

Gibbs – 9 MOTM Two assists, goalline clearance, he has come a long way from the player I used to get frustrated with turning inside whenever he received possession, has grown in stature immeasurably over last two seasons.

Flamini – 7 Bit of a struggle in the first half as the others in midfield left him a little exposed, looked more comfortable when we had better shape in the second half.

Ramsey – 8 Very nearly another man of the match performance. Cracking goal, fantastic tackling back he really is an all action midfielder the kind we haven’t had for a while.

Wilshere – 7 Another game under the belt, he is getting better and is moving more confidently with the ball, unlucky with a half volley at the far post.

Özil – 7 Quiet first half as we struggled to get the ball to him, came into the game in the second half and was unlucky not to have a couple of assists to his name by the end of the night.

Walcott – 8 Exceptional volley to give us the lead, could have had another couple but did well all night to provide a threat.

Giroud – 8 His silent assist for Ramsey’s goal sums up this lad, constantly willing to work for his team mates, could do with a rest soon!

Subs:

Monreal, Miyaichi – No real time to judge.n

Written by

Gööner in Exile

97 Responses to Marseille 1 Arsenal 2 : Breaking records again

Nice report, George’s Dad.
    Summed it up nicely. The slowmo clearly showed it was never a penalty.
    This also shows Ollie’s silent assist. :)

2. Longfem says:

A tactical and nervous match it was yesterday. Gibbo all d way

3. max says:

In the BPL that would never be a pen..

Gibbs best game ever?

4. Thanks GiE. On the penalty …… surely Ramsey was in control of the ball moving across the penalty area and the Marseille player ran through him – actually dived through him. I wouldn’t have given it but they didn’t ask me :)

5. I love the way Arsenal supporters are suddenly warming to Gibbs ……. he has been very good for a while now ;)

Great report GiE, thanks.
    Dirty job, that match reporting stuff, so well done.

Peaches,
    I’ll do one for tomorrow if you like.

Must fly.

7. Norfolk Gooner says:

Good morning to you all,

Very fair report GiE, you saw the game very much as I did. I thought our passing in the first half was pretty poor with too many passes going astray. However, after listening to Ramsey’s post match comments I realised that there was a good reason for the apparent failings. He explained that the pitch was “a bit sticky” and it took a while to get used to.

I think the Marseille team ran themselves into the ground and were almost completely deflated by Theo’s terrific goal, Ramsey’s effort was very good as he was able to utilise his superior fitness and exploit the tiring defenders to drive through and score with a tasty deflection as an assist.

8. Norfolk Gooner says:

With our newly extended away wins record could we flog The Emirates to a major supermarket chain and play all our games away? :D

9. Bïg Räddy says:

Fine report GIE. Thank you

The penalty was a clear dive and it is about time something was done about this cheating. Young’s theatrics should have been punished by the FA which would then send out a message to other divers.

A retrospective ban would stop this malarkey. It just requires the will to affect change.

10. 26may1989 says:

Nice write-up, Exile.

I like the way Norfolk describes it too, Marseille invested all their energy in the first 60 minutes or so, didn’t get a goal, and then were visibly depressed when Theo scored. It was much easier from that point on.

I maintain that Rambo didn’t play very well overall last night. He’s a tremendous player, something some of us were saying while he was getting slagged off so much last year, and I love the way he capitalised on the space the Marseille defence gave him to score. But, sicky pitch or no, his passing was pretty much the worst in the team last night. Flamini, Wilshere and Ozil may not have shone but they didn’t give the ball away nearly as often as Ramsey. And the pen was definitely his fault too, you could see he thought that from his reactions.

He’s a really excellent player, who’s had a superb start to the season, but in my opinion last night wasn’t a great one for him.

It was great to see the defensive unit play well yesterday, after a bit of an off-day at Sunderland, and it was great to see Theo produce such a clinical finish when an opportunity finally presented itself.

Napoli at home, that’s going to be an interesting night…..

11. Sai says:

Defender to the left of him,
    another to the right of him
    on towards the goal he went
    Rambo for the Gunners!

12. Sai says:

Thank you GIE. Was able to watch only the highlights. Gave me a good insight of the game.

13. Evönne says:

Kieran Gibbs – only 23 and has been with Arsenal for 10 years now. Rasp – can you put ‘failed youth project’ to Room 101 please?

GiE – excellent match report, thank you especially for the goals comments, now I know what happened. I thought that Marseille were a bit slow on counter attacking or at least nowhere near as fast as our crews. Their very short player was good, very good. Need to watch him at the Ems.

I was hoping that your repo will help me to chose the name on my new shirt – whom shall I have printed? Theo, Rambo, Ozil, Santi, Mert, Ollie? And now that Gibbs as well, I don’t know, star studded team makes it difficult to chose one top name

Great report GIE and I think that you and I may have some psychic connection going on in how you saw certain things. I was watching it with friends last night and all of us have played football through our younger years. We all agreed on 2 technical points.

Firstly that Theo’s goal was a difficult one to execute with the ball dropping and he showed great technique to get such a sweet connection and direction on it.

secondly we all spotted the importance of Giroud’s run pulling the defenders away to open up the gap for Ramsey. You reported those 2 points exactly how we said it yesterday GIE literally word for word.

Another point I would make is that I feel many Arsenal fans get upset if the other team has chances against us as if Arsenal should be able to exclude a team from having any chances during a game. I think the way the media analyse an Arsenal performance compared to Utd or say Chelsea has a lot to do with it.

It is not realistic to expect to go to Marseille and them not to have periods where they look more dangerous. The key is to minimise the danger so even if they are having a period of pressure you don’t allow them many clear cut chances. Being able to do this and remain calm and patient and then take your own chances when they come is the hallmark of an experienced top European side, and we did just that.

For me winning difficult games like this against dangerous opposition who can cause any team a problem is a sign of our evolving maturity and bodes very well for us. If Utd or Chelsea had won that game as we did last night the pundits and media would normally report it from the angle of how powerful and mature those clubs are. With Arsenal there is still a reluctance to direct those compliments at us and there remains a habit of more looking at the oppositions chances and focussing more on us having ridden our luck.

26May @10.55. I agree with you there and I thought that both Wilshere and Ramsey were both very similar last night. In the first half I thought they looked a bit sloppy and got caught on the ball too often when trying to bring it forward, and many of their passes were intercepted. As such we didn’t seem to build any periods of fluid possession and ended up having to defend more against the possession Marseille were enjoying.

Conversely I thought the pair of them became much sharper in the second half with more accurate and sharper passing and carrying the ball more often without getting caught on it. Those 2 may not have been the real stars last night, but it was interesting to me that I felt that the whole team started to look better once those 2 started to play better. I almost felt it was them that kick-started us taking some control in the game.

Great match report GiE and exactly as I saw the game also. We weren’t great in the first half, our passing was poor by our standards – Ramsey said the pitch was ‘sticky’ in his post match interview.

The second half was much better.

I thought it was an obvious dive for the pen. Interesting to see how badly Ramsey took the decision – he really is driven.

evonne, I’ve put ‘failed project youth’ in room 101, remind me what phrase you wanted added the other day pls.

I’m surprised no-one has commented on the player few of us know much about who was on the bench – Isaac Hayden

18. 26may1989 says:

Interesting comments, GoonerB. On the received “wisdom” of pundits, it was interesting to see Jamie Carragher candidly say yesterday that he thinks he may have got it wrong in criticising the Arsenal defence and squad in general, given the sequence of away wins. I’m not saying everything’s perfect, Mertesacker’s error last night and Koscielny’s performance at Sunderland underline that we still give more chances to our opponents than we’d like, but there is more to our defensive game these days than is widely accepted. And once we get Arteta back, I think we’ll become tighter again.

Rasp,
    That conversation was yesterday.

Thanks chas, I really will have to try to keep up :roll:

21. TT says:

Great point about Giroud, GiE. This is something he’s done consistently, I think.

Did you notice that Giroud didn’t perform any fist pumping or overt celebration after Ramsey’s goal? From what is shown on the broadcast, he just slowly walked over. I wonder this is an indication that he, as you say, is due for a rest.

22. 26may1989 says:

From the start of last season up to the Spurs away game in March, we conceded two or more goals 18 times in 42 competitive games (about 43% of our games). Since then, starting with the Bayern away game, we have done so only once in 18 games, in the Villa game (ie, 6% of the time).

I struggle to see how we can rest Giroud TT. I just don’t see the viable option at the moment. Some champion the false number 9, but where it has worked for Barca in the Spanish league does that translate to us in the EPL? I always feel there is 1 factor that makes it work for Barca and that is Messi. An attacking midfielder with a phenomenal strike rate. We have excellent attacking midfielders but none with his ability to score.

It would be interesting if anyone who feels it could work could explain its pros and cons against different types of sides. For instance will it be more or less effective if you analysed how it could work against Stoke and Swansea who set up and play very differently.

I agree with your post GIE

Ramsey made 87 passes with a completion rate of 82%

I gave my thoughts earlier but it is only two weeks ago that Marseilles lost by the odd goal in three to Monaco.

We really have every chance to qualify and with Cazorla and Rosicky hopefully back that will add to our attack with Podolski to follow after.

Arteta might find it difficult to maintain an automatic choice when he gets back. He was injury prone at Everton and he is getting older.
    Vermaelen is a good player just had a poor season, so he will bolster the defence but I would like to see him when the occasion arises to stay back,rather than charge up the field.

Pleased for Walcott, even Merson admitted it was a difficult shot to place. he just needs to increase his ratio of goals to chances created.
    Giroud runs his heart out so in theory we could still play with out a recognised number 9 as the goals could come from a handful of other players.It will be interesting to see if we dip into the market in january.
    Another thing I have noticed somewhat this season that players are beginning to shoot more rather than try to work the perfect tippy tappy goal,and its paying dividends.

Excellent and controversial piece just popped up on N.N from untold arsenal. have a read and if anyone more computer savvy than me can put up a link. A real debate starter.

I thought I’d have a look at 26’s assertion about Rambo giving the ball away a lot last night. I had no idea what the result might be.
    The figures below are from squawka.com which I’ve just discovered. You can choose individual players and the graphic on the right changes for each option. The game line filter has bars to you can look just at first half or second half (or any section of the game, come to that)

First half
    Player Successful passes/Total passes Pass completion %

Ramsey 35/44 80%
    Wilshere 16/21 76%
    Özil 20/23 87%
    Flamini 28/28 100%

Second half
    Player Successful passes/Total passes Pass completion %

Ramsey 37/43 86%
    Wilshere 21/25 84%
    Özil 25/27 93%
    Flamini 24/28 86%

Rambo’s pass completion is better than Jack’s in the first half and second half and equal to Flamini’s in the second.

What stands out for me is the sheer number of extra passes Rambo made compared to the other three. Over 30 more than the other three during the whole game.

Obviously this takes no account of the type of pass made. The graphic helps a little when you’re on the site. (Flamini’s passes tend to be shorter, for instance)

I’m not trying to make any point, just sharing the info and the site. :)

* second half should have read same as Flamini, not Ozil

GoonerB,
    Haha, taking away the mancs titles: in fact, comparing them to Lance Armstrong is hilarious. :)

I presume some response will have to come from the refs’ association.

Shard’s going to love it. :)

30. 26may1989 says:

Thanks for posting the stats, chas – I didn’t know about that squawka site, I’ll definitely delve into it from now on.

On a very brief look at the figures from last night against what squawka has for Ramsey generally, which show his usual pass completion rate to be 87%, I think the stats suggest both that my reading of his game is a bit too negative and that, at 82%, it wasn’t his best game.

I take the point about Wilshere and Ozil but it should be remembered that Ramsey receives the ball in deeper positions more often, and has more situations where he is playing relatively safe passes. And that for me was the frustration yesterday evening, especially in the first half: we generally, and I noticed Ramsey in particular, gave the ball away very softly, more often than we usually would. Perhaps some of my negativity comes from the fact I think Ramsey is an excellent and very efficient player.

As for Untold’s piece on Halsey, they have a point, it is pretty shabby to see referees cosying up to Ferguson.

31. Shärd says:

Shard does love it chas.. I just commented on there before coming here. However, I don’t agree with the call to strip them of their titles.. Yet.. Because there is not enough evidence for that. The problem is, no one seems to be looking for it either. Comparisons with Armstrong aren’t that far off though. Armstrong’s celebrity intimidated others and was used to create a culture of silence, and indeed even pressure others to cheat, both in order to win, and to keep them silent. Not too far off what could be the case with ManU.

In any case, it is a serious matter that referees are asking for favours from the manager of a club. And this only comes to light inadvertently, and because Halsey is, to my knowledge, the only ref who didn’t take PGMOL’s retirement bonus of 50k that comes conditionally with a non disclosure clause. How many more such incidents are there. Like I said, the worrying thing is that no one in authority even seems concerned by any of it. Including Halsey himself, because he would not have revealed his role if he felt it was wrong.

Warning: nothing to do with football…..

33. Shärd says:

Apart from Ramsey’s passing percentages, he had 34 passes in the final third. Valbuena was highest there with 47. But Ramsey also ran 12.5 kms.. Only behind Flamini’s 12.87. Which shows that he was hardworking as ever. He also had 5 of Arsenal’s 21 tackles.

I still understand where 26 is coming from with his complaint about Ramsey giving the ball away. I thought that too after the 2nd time he gave away a seemingly simple ball. But Ramsey had a very good game.

I was thinking of Gibbs as Motm just after Walcott’s goal, but then he gave away a few passes as well, and lost his man a few times. It wasn’t a vintage performance from anyone, but a very concentrated effort by almost all our players.

Where are your stats from Shard? I’m always interested in the distance ran etc.

35. Van Gundy says:

Great win for the gunners. Really excited about Rambos rise to prominence. Bring on stoke. Oh btw did anyone notice how bad the camera angle was. My god sky sports will have to up their game. On the other hand am glad we’ve already played them. Won’t have to experience that shocking camera angle again.

Perhaps sheepy sent Knuckles over there to cause a stir.

The defendant said he’d been framed and the prosecution case was a load of old baaaaaaalocks.

38. jnyc says:

Great start, especially with dortmund losing. I hope we can rest some key players this weekend. Someone must return from injury soon to get a little rest for jack aaron, ozil, theo, ollie. Even flamini must not be used to so many matches.
    we have to do a better job on defending corners. we have been fortunate, quite a few have been near misses for our opponents in the last few weeks. I hope it hasnt gone un noticed by Arsene and Bould.

39. Shärd says:

chas

I meant to say that stats are from 7amkickoffs by the numbers column on Arseblog..

For Uefa matches, their official site’s matchcentre is a good source.

40. TT says:

GB, agreed. With Stoke coming this Sunday, most likely to park their bus on the field, Giroud probably would not get a rest. Hard to see how Giroud can get a rest unless it is a CC game.

About the Untold article, 7amkickoff had an article on the same topic about two days ago, but on a different angle. It was more about action-reaction, rather than interpretive. However, one looks at it, the whole thing is shameful.

I was rereading a comment by SAF after the 1-1 draw at the Emirates last year. He said, “I think that Arsenal set off at a fantastic pace, very aggressive and a lot of tackles and I think the referee just couldn’t keep up. When we have a foul he’s booked us right away. We had five players booked. We have one of the best disciplinary records in the country. For Manchester United to have five players booked I don’t think that’s right.”

This reasoning is quite circular: we have good disciplinary records; we should not be booked; thus, we have good disciplinary records :)

And with Halsey’s revelation, I do wonder if criticism by SAF wouldn’t have affected the refs in some ways.

Thanks, Shard. I’ll have a look at the UEFA matchcentre.

It would be so funny if Fergietime could be proven to exist. Each referee giving a corresponding amount depending on how many favours they’d received in the past. (Only if the mancs were drawing or losing, of course).
    What about that ref who Fergie said was too fat and didn’t ref another manc game?
    As for Fergie’s rent boy, voted top manc player of all time. :)

Nice one GIE.

We are definitely on the rise. In fact we are slightly creepy, winning games when not all that. Nothing wrong with that. Man Utd have been creeps for years..

I was delighted for Gibbs and Chesney. Just further examples and vindication of Arsenes policy of building from within.

Shard, that love story about the man and sheep? Ever since my physics teacher gave me a strange stare after attending class wearing a woolly jumper I know these things happen. Anyway,the geezers a Totnumb fan so must be guilty.

43. Norfolk Gooner says:

Ewe just don’t know what goes on at Totnumb. They’re always trying to pull the wool over your eyes. :D

44. wally says:

Good, professional result.
    Need to get some bodies back, soon! Two games a week and Giroud will be shattered by January as will rambo.

45. A well described and slick match report GiE – I was only following it via twitter but you seem to have covered it well.

Right, so who’s going to be at the Tavern for a pre match relaxer (or 3) on Sunday ? I hope Eva-va-vonne hasn’t used up her match day allowance for the season already as I haven’t seen her for ages.

This level of matchday skiving will not be tolerated young lady !

Fine report GIE
    Szcz was very good again; Gibbs is a real shout for MOTM; Ramsey has somehow become the symbol of the new Arsenal; BFG back in charge organizing everything (we can forgive him that one miscue, particularly as Gibbo saved his bacon) and Theo off the mark.

What’s not to like :)

47. Evönne says:

weather, pissing cats and dogs again here

I agree with that ↑ ↑ ↑

Thanks for the read GIE

Hahahaha

The one above the cats and dogs.

50. Evönne says:

who scored for Napoli last night?

Exciting days for Spurs fans today they Norwegian giants Tromso,
    Whoso? yep Tromso!.

Tromso are playing in the Thursday night league as they were champions last season – oh that’s the champions of fair play.

Must feel great to be a Spud!

52. Evönne says:

Higuain and IL~something

Totts have Tromso tonight. Tromso.

53. Evönne says:

GN5 – snap, didn’t see your comment :) Oh well, it feels good to beat good opponents. Totts won’t be able to celebrate beating Tromso, will they?

Evening all, been a but busy today….no quibbles with ratings? I’m obviously not as controversial as I need to be *cough*LB*cough*

Went to see a Spud today….he really didn’t want to talk football….not sure why.

And made me laugh almost hysterically when he said “£42m spent and you sold no one….bad business”.

Hahahaha….oh and they really believe a Supermarket is going to pay for their whole stadium rebuild. More ROLF.

55. Evönne says:

:) GiE :)
    There is an old Spud at my allotment, Henry Rose. He truly hates everything about Arsenal, I mean it. I didn’t know that and laughed once when they lost to the Mighty – he didn’t speak to me for 2 years!! Otherwise a man, turns into a monster when you mention Arsenal.

Anyway, Henry Rose moved his plot to a new, better one. The doughnut didn’t realise that he has 2 mad Gunners on each side now! Ha ha ha ha, he is FURIOUS and wants his old plot back :) And I am only round the corner, poor poor Henry

56. Evönne says:

** otherwise a nice man

Hi GIE

What is the spud, supermarket theory?

Yes what is the supermarket thing GIE? Is it the Tottenham High Road pound shop?

My father-in-law is a native from Tromso. I can hear you all saying “and”. There is no and, just thought I would share it with you.

Could we do a Limerick for your elderly spud chap Evonne. How about this :

There once was a spud called Rose
    Who grew his own tomatoes
    He looked straight ahead, and saw it was red
    And had it away on his toes.

61. Evönne says:

lovely GB :) I don’t think I dare telling him, but might share it with other Gunners there

Where will Ox play when he and other injured get back?

Anyone fancy a job at the Emirates?

Does it involve spuds collecting Nector points?

Ox will play on the left, Ozil is wasted out there. I also think that there will be games when Wenger starts Ozil up front, think RvP’s transformation. Cazorla should play just behind and Arteta just behind him.

Oh my goodness, that is so exciting I am going to have to sit down.

——————-Szezcney

Jenkinson, Mertasacker, Koscileny, Gibbs

———-Ramsey, Arteta, Rosicky

————–Walcott, Ozil, Cazorla

This is the bus destroyer: quick interplay.

Not to be used against a team who can attack, ahh, sod it, unleash hell, this team would score more goals than any other in the league.

Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Just changed my mind: the Ox is on the bench.

66. Evönne says:

No LB, you cannot have Ox wasting on the bench. I think Wenger must be delighted we have a few injured midfielders.

Who is good enought to become a CF? Rambo or Ox? Rambo is a good little defender too, so I think you are right – Ozil will take the center stage

LB they are in the process of building a Sainsburys on their land which they (I think) are going to lease to them. This will then give them the financial stability to rebuild SHL with less financial burden than us. An interesting solution but I doubt it will cover 100% of the cost.

I guess Gooners everywhere stop shopping at Sainsbury’s then.

69. Bïg Räddy says:

Typical market traders. Crap club, crap fans. crap ground etc etc

I think OG will become undroppable.

70. Evönne says:

yes Raddy, but we can only have 11 bods on the pitch and can hardly drop Szcz. What are you proposing?

Proposing?

Arteta doesn’t gets his place back in our first choice 11

72. Evönne says:

well, in 4 years :)

Any game in which the opposition sit back, Arteta should be the first name on the team sheet.

He was sorely missed last night, with the Basque out there we would have taken the game to them far more than we did. Instead we made an average team look good.

But………….when teams can come at us, manu, chavs etc

we need a proper DM, someone who knows how to defend, not a converted AM like Arteta.

I haven’t seen Flamini in the flesh so I will keep an open mind but what I have seen so far is not impressing me.

Can’t be around.

If a post is needed for tomorrow, then could someone leave a signal on here, and I’ll do something early morning if needed.

Offski.

77. Bïg Räddy says:

I’m not here either.

evonne :-D :-D

78. Hi Micky, we have a post for tomorrow from chary but you can write one for Saturday if you like :)

If Micky is writing a post for Saturday I will put my idea up for a post now….to be honest I haven’t got enough time to float around in the Atlantic Ocean and work on the idea before Stokes visit on Sunday….

The Problem – We currently have a fragile squad, Stoke know if they “take out” two or three good uns we only have youth to come on….the refs won’t protect us, if they do it’ll be too late.

The Solution – Sacrificial lambs! Start Ryo in place of Theo, Akpom in place of Giroud and Frimpong in place of Rambo. Stoke aren’t clever enough to change game plan so will kick them instead and get booked. Then we can bring on the stars.

Oh go on Peaches,
    Give Chary blog-death-Saturday. Metallers love something to whinge about :-)
    On the other hand, oh alright.

Exile
    The Sacrificial Lamb Theory at 11:11pm. Some Real Ale in the house?
    I think it is a racist theory anyway :-)

Post in.

Right, what’s that Ocean up to today? :-)

Chas

I think you know about these things.

How long will it take to drive from North London to Sheffield on a Sunday morning?

That was hilarious Micky.

84. Bïg Räddy says:

Micky. That is both hilarious and very worrying!

LB,

2.30 to 2.45 I’d guesstimate.

That lighthouse joke/tape has been around and been through as many versions as the Hitler in the bunker video. Love the dog being asleep embellishment. :)

The US Navy doesn’t like it.

Mind you, Ant drives like a bat out of hell.

Chas

How can you only give a 15min variable on a journey from London to Sheffield.

That allows for one brief unforeseen gentleman’s stop, and only one mildly irritating up-turned caravan.

LB
    Three hours, and if you’re early, get a bacon roll.

The 15 min variable was for getting out of London.
    M1 on a Sunday morning should be ok, but I suppose you never know.
    2.30 to 4.45 then.
    Only empty bladders allowed on the M1. :)

2 litre coke bottle works well if your aim is good

2 litres!!!!

Blimey you were thirsty the night before that particular journey!

91. Evönne says:

that was brill Micky :)

Swans did well again

92. Bïg Räddy says:

I am in the Micky camp of not understanding/caring about tactics but Goonerblog has an interesting take on AFC on his blog today.

A midfield square? Seems reasonable.

Ha ha Raddy ……………….. New Post ……………………..