Arsène: “Don’t drop Ollie G!”

Dear Arsène,

Not sure I can help you much more than I already have this week. Engineered some brilliant stats for you, and previously did all that tactics bollocks stuff to help you out with formations and whatnot.

Thing is this, Arsène, I keep reading how you are sniffing around all these expensive strikers, and I have concerns.

You see ,Arsène , while I believe all these stories, I’m not sure you’ve thought this through, and the main concern I have revolves around Ollie G. I mean, how can he not be better in his second season? Don’t you remember some of his sublime finishing, and that is to say nothing of his contribution to the overall team effort. My biggest fear is that you will buy said expensive striker, and either plonk Ollie on the bench, or worse, be tempted to do some crazy person thing, and to accommodate said striker in his preferred central role, put Ollie wide like you did with Cham and Bendy.

olivier giroud 1

So, what’s the plan?

I’ll tell you. Don’t spend all the loot on a similar player like Higuain. Waste of time as you’ll have blown the lion’s share of the transfer kitty on a type of player who offers no real alternatives.

So Arsène, this brings me on to Suarez. Two options here, give him one of those free roaming GiE type of starting slots, but that’ll mean dropping Gerv/Pod from the left. Could work if you get Theo to keep the width, and the pair of them can do the switch over manoeuvre from time to time. I keep reading how you’re about to flog Gerv, and naturally I believe what I read here also, so with a little rotation, and allowing for injuries, this will allow you to select three from Ollie, Theo, Pod and a Suarez type.

giroud 2

Couple of things to avoid then.

One, Santi stays in the middle, so don’t start all that deep lying No10, in the hole, false whatever nonsense to try and accommodate the new boy just behind Ollie.

Two. Ollie starts every game.

giroud3

Best wishes for the new campaign. Get the right couple of signings and we’re away.

Arsène, you have my mobile number, so as always, feel free to call whenever you like.

I remain, you’re humble servant,

DidIt.

82 Responses to Arsène: “Don’t drop Ollie G!”

1. Terence McGovern says:

I keep thining 4 4 2 but maybe its just nostalgia.

2. Arsene Wenger says:

Don’t get worried arsenal fans we will make some top class signings this summer and besides we had the best form in the pre season fixtures thus far Since Chuba Akpom has been in sensational form so he’ll be a capable goalscorer in the near future.

3. mark says:

Giroud is absolute shit. He scored 11 goals and got worse when the league got used to him.

4. Morning from Wales
    Good post Micky nice light hearted read on a Sunday morning.
    My view on OG is yes he had an average season but it was his first season.DB and MO had average first season and they went on to become legends.
    Time will tell.

5. Norfolk Gooner says:

Good morning to you all.

Fear not DidIt, there will be plenty of room for another striker, Walcott plus £40 million in exchange for Suarez.

Liverpool have wanted Theo for a while now and let’s face it he is never going to make it as a central striker at Arsenal, his new £100,000 per week contract and a promise to let him play a more central role were just tactics to avoid yet more “Arsenal star leaves for pastures new” headlines.

Totally agree about Walcott, NG

7. Weeell, Monsieur Deedit, I am always open to innovative, technically astute suggestions from fans, pundits and people wearing leetle white jackets – wiz straps secured.

I theenk you are making zee joke with reference to Higuain who I have tried sooo hard to get this summer, only to find those bastardillos at RM have sold heem to some other club for only £10m more than I offered, when I was busy in Asia. Merde!

Also, you need not worry about whatishis name – erm, Gervinho-ho-ho, as I am sending heem away. I do not know where — just away — but wezzer anyone can tell which way he travels – a bus along the straight here, a train loop there, and maybe a car ride backwards, or what he will do, when and if he arrives, is anybody’s business – or nobody’s.

Believe me, if I can find a place in the team for my countryman, Olly, I will take eet. He can go like a bomb all day, and it is possible I will take your suggestion and use him as the team waiter providing water and tea. It might be quicker to get eet yourself, but the way he blows out his cheeks when at full pace makes him invaluable for cooling the tea quickly.

Finally, as you say to the poor lobster, I agree wiz you about Santi Clauzorla, he is too important for us to sell, and we have a new plan for heem next season. We will ban him from opening his mouth and showing off his cherubic smile with those great big shiny tombstone teeth. No, we will wait for the lights to be switched on in the Autumn, and at the right moment, he will open ze gob and blind the goalie as the flood light hits his chompers, and so then he scores a great goal – innit?

I have your mobile number, and rest assured, it has a permanent block on it – zo do not worry about that!

Au revoir, man in leetle white jacket, wiz the straps securely fastened!

:lol: Arsene Wenger

Giroud is a good whole hearted honest player who never gives less than 100% and as such is a great asset to the squad. I expect him to score more goals in his second season. However he will never have the pace to make him lethal at running through defences and can only be used in a certain way.

I’m with those who would like to see a top goalscorer in the side. I cannot agree that Higuain is similar to OG, he’s more mobile and can create chances out of nothing for himself whereas OG’s skill is to make the runs and be in the right place at the right time.

But Higuain has gone and I will not be unhappy to see OG leading the line next season.

9. kgooner says:

Swap suarez with walcott or poldi. I’ve seen him play coming in from both the left and right wing. Ollie should stay where he is. He brings much to the team in terms of physical presence and off the ball participation. Suarez (if by any chance it does happen) would work well with Ollie. I fear Suarez and Walcott together would lead to another ‘twilight’ saga of Edward biting bella. The latter hogs the ball too much and given his temperament, Suarez would not tolerate such.

Seriously though, OG will come good this season. He seems to have the desire and willingness to work hard.

10. atid says:

23 players started the league matches last season (3 of those made 3 or 4 starts)
    25 players the season before (4 of those only started 1 match and another 4 started 6 or less)

Well the current first team squad stands at 26 (including gervinho park chamakh and bendtner) However that doesn’t include the 11 youngsters tipped to join the squad (martinez bellerin miquel yennaris aneke eisfeld olsson zelalem gnabry afobe akpom)

I’m just worried that if I can see we are well covered in terms of numbers surely wenger can. If all 4 of the remaini.g deadwood left and 11 youngsters were promoted we would have a huge squad of 33 players (3 keepers, 9 defenders, 7 holding midfielders, 10 attacking midfielders and 4 lone strikers) for a 4231 formation that looks well balanced even if its very experienced. I’m not saying we don’t need re-inforcements and I am not saying the 11 youngsters are ready to startpremier league games but going off of recent seasons and player numbers they wouldn’t have to start matches. Of the 22 current first teamers the most worrying problem is that vermaelen monreal diaby and frimpong are all currently injured whilst ryo and sanogo still have it all to prove. A world class signing in eqch of the 5 lines is what is required let’s hope wenger can see that and doesn’t go for the numbers game.

Nice post Micky.

I tend to agree and not agree in equal measure. Those trendy oestrogen smoothies designed to improve your sensitive side are playing havoc with my decisiveness.

I really like Ollie and think he will improve in our 2nd season. I think he will contribute in key ways. I don’t concur with mark’s view @10.24 and think he is good enough to play for Arsenal, but I think there are limitations in his game that don’t make him, in my mind, a first choice number 9 at the very highest levels. It is those very highest levels that we are aiming for now.

I see Ollie as our Solskjaer and I don’t think anyone can say he didn’t have a good career even if he was considered 2nd choice as a striker. If Ollie is 2nd choice he will still get plenty of playing time and so can forge a good career at THOF.

Comparing the 2, Suarez is the type of player that will win you a tight game against the top teams and can run with the ball wriggling his way out of the clutches of defenders even when tightly marked. His movement and ability on the ball causes havoc in defences pulling them all over the place and disrupting their positioning and shape, whereas Ollie is much more of a “run onto to it and hit it” striker, or someone who can pull off a defender and receive the ball in enough space to get his shot off before being closed down. Ollie is not the sort to single handedly wriggle away from 2 defenders and get his shot in on goal.

Suarez has very few weaknesses in his game which means he can operate as the lone striker or behind another striker like Ollie. We could have options where in some games Ollie is on the bench to come on as an impact sub when needed, or in others to play directly alongside Suarez.

One final point, there is a reason that AW, a man who is fiercely loyal to his existing players before buying in, is going into unknown territory for this player, because he knows that this one signing will take what is already an excellent and strong side back to the very top where they can be considered challengers on all fronts.

Arsene Wenger. You have had me chuckling and I never realised that under that serious Franco-German exterior you had such a satirical streak in you (who is he really Rasp, I am guessing Chas or Big Al)

Atid, I also agree that not too much is needed which is why I think AW is willing to blow most of the budget on that 1 special player. The last third of the last season we showed title challenging form statistically and seemed to work out how to grit out games and win those tight ones.

Many are crying out for a beast of a midfielder but are we so desperately in need of that? Did we look like we were being out-muscled and over-run in midfield in the last 10-12 games or did the combination’s of Ramsey, Arteta and Jack look robust enough? If anything we had to endure too many narrow victories against teams we had dominated, going into the 80th minute drawing in a game we should have been comfortably 2 goals up in. This is where that world class forward player comes in, to give us that extra spark and edge.

13. Gooner 9 says:

Suarez operates quite often from a wide area like Henry used to linking with Pires and shall I say Cole!
    For me Giroud is the vocal point needed to play at the top for us his hold up play and strength and aerial ability give him the edge over our current strikers.
    Podolski for me is the man to drop from the left to accommodate Suarez.
    Podolski for me drifts out of games and flatters to deceive his general play is not fantastic either.
    Even tho he gets a lot more love then Giroud which I don’t understand.

also do we really have the squad now capable of winning the league and challenging for 4 trophies!!!???
    I just don’t see it.
    Are there players which could improve us of course but Arsene clearly doesn’t see value in the asking prices of these players it’s almost like we won’t sign a player unless he’s a free transfer in his last year of his contract or playing for a club who are financially unstable or a really young hot prospect who we can buy for cheap before his price gets over inflated.
    This strategy is a tough way of finding quality players required to improve us.

14. mark says:

To those hoping that Giroud will do better in his second season, answer this.

If settling in was an excuse why didn’t Giroud score more goals in the second half of the season compared to the first? Surly he should have been prolific by the end of the season when he was settled?

15. Little Russian says:

Giroud is good and I hope he gets better in his second season here, but I do not think he is good enough to allow us to challenge for the premier league. I honestly thought Higuain was going to be our star striker next season and I was devastated when it turned out we missed out on him.

Still think we need to bring in a top quality striker if we are serious about challening for the premier league next season. Be it Suarez or whoever.

16. Little Russian says:

You would imagine with Gazidis telling the world time and time again that we have a substantial amount of money to spend on transfers this transfer window due to improved deals and what not that we at least sign a top quality player. If we do not, I for one would be very disappointed. Let’s face it, Arsene’s recent statement that our current squad is more than capable of challenging for the premier league is the definition of overoptimism, with perhaps a touch of stubborn arrogance. How many times have we heard that the past few years?

17. evonne says:

Little Russian – I agree with you about Giroud -he is good, but not good enough for a title challenging squad.
    Did you read that Higuain went to Milan for almost £35mil? So we didn’t really miss out on him, just were not prepared to pay a fee well above ‘our’ valuation of the player. I am never too hot on star players from other leagues. Reyes and Podolski did much better in Spain and Germany respectively than they did in EPL. That’s why I am in favour of shopping ‘locally’ and Suarez ticks all the boxes for me, bring him on!

18. amoscp says:

I agree with you, bro. did you notice that Giroud preffered a suarez buy to Higuain?

In retrospect I understand how 2bob felt yesterday as I was also concerned that I was being “ganged” up on a few years back. However over time I realised that it was simply because so many of the “regulars” share a similar viewpoint and are very protective of each other and the site.

Red Arse was not in the least bit offensive, he was simply very precise in his response’s to 2bob. I felt that 2bob went a bit too for in some of his comparisons – especially when he eluding to Arsene as either being or becoming a “corrupt tyrant”

But 2bob, wherever you are, you are exactly the type of blogger that would enjoy participating on this site – so come back.

MD89;

We will always need a Giroud type of player in the middle, what we have been lacking for many years now is a player who can mesmerise the defence and then break them open – Suarez is exactly that type of player.

21. Thanks for explaining that, GN5. It is appreciated! :-)

And I have also invited 2Bob to return — and I hope he does so, as no offense was intended.

GoonerB,

Why do you ask who eet is – this Monsieur Wenger — ees eet possible you do not theenk I ‘ave a sense of — ‘ow you say it — ah, yes, a sense of a funny bone – non? Zut alors!!

22. VCC says:

GoonerB…….I think AW lives in Cornwall. ;-)

23. Red Arse says:

Ooops :oops: I forgot to change my name!! :-)

24. […] I leave you with this letter to Arsene Wenger: “Don’t Drop Ollie G!!” […]

25. Red Arse says:

And no I don’t VCC. :-)

26. evonne says:

sniffer – you spelled 2Bob wrongly!!

Our resident troll is now impersonating bloggers – including me, please disregard any comments that are not accompanied by their usual gravatar.

The 2Bob comment was not from 2Bob

It’s all gone quiet over there !!

29. Gooner In Exile says:

Afternoon all…..after a brief rain interlude last night Norfolks summer returned today so faced with a shed load of work I decided the best thing to do was go for a hike at Blickling Hall and pub lunch…..our Norfolk bloggers or occasional holiday visitors will be pleased to know The Buckinghamshire Arms is now as good as the surroundings and well worth a visit. Good beer, good food.

Right on to Micky and your letter, I think you have written too many blogs of late as clearly you now believe like so many others that your words can influence the club and manager, perhaps you should start the WWBM*

In seriousness well done for bringing new faces to the site, some who even appreciate that Ollie last season was as much a pivot/focal point of our attacks to benefit others as he was about goals.

*WWBM = Wiff Waff Bat Movement

GIE;

I was just about to close my computer down for the day and I noticed your post.

I googled the Bucks Arms and it looked great and by the sound of the reviews it has a great staff and the menu also sound very attractive with the emphasis being on locally sourced products.

Made me very jealous……….that I could only read about it while you can actually indulge. What food and drink did you select, on second thought I don’t want to know as it will make me pine even more.

31. Gooner in Exile says:

Scallops, Pork Belly and Pea Puree to start, Sheperds Pie….with cheese and herb mash…….very tasty (the lamb from the Blickling Estate). Drink I went for Woodfordes Bure Gold.

The wife went for Smoked Duck with Orange to start and a Roast Pork Sunday Lunch….generous portions and from a local farm, also a pint of Bure Gold, followed by a glass of Pinot Grigio.

We skipped desserts……..thankful we walked first….

32. Gooner in Exile says:

Should say pub has improved since being taken over by the owners of several other good pubs. It used to be much more basic affair and beer was severely limited selection.

33. jnyc says:

Evonne and lil russ, i agree. I like ollie, but he is not a striker for a top team. I think he is a decent second choice.
    suarez free role for me, and a little more rotation for santi, pod, theo and whomever else. Santi played about a million minutes last season.
    — but first, lets make sure we get suarez in. Still a long shot, because its up to Madrid.
    i am glad that Arsene is trying at least. I wonder if there is any back up plan?

34. Redtruth says:

Wenger relies solely on his players to play well rather than setting up his Team to play well..

35. Norfolk Gooner says:

Redtruth, no matter how well you set the team up, if the players don’t play well….

36. Gooner In Exile says:

Wouldn’t bother NG…..it’s Sniffer

37. Norfolk Gooner says:

Thanks for the warning GiE. In that case, I will recall the meal of grilled Pike that I had around thirty years ago in The Buckinghamshire Arms. Very tasty, as was the spectacular blond bombshell behind the bar.

38. Gooner in Exile says:

Hmmm no blonde bombshells today…..the staff were all very nice though. :D

Nice one Micky
    You do really love that Gallic hunk, don’t you? :)

I’m broadly in agreement with you – OG was good last year and will certainly be better in the season ahead.

Still think, like you, we need another attacking threat but that it should be someone who complements Ollie rather than replaces him.

GiE
    Enjoyed your Post yesterday – sorry I didn’t have time to comment.

Mr Didit
    Do we really need an out and out striker or fox in the box player ? Our goals were spread around last season by a number of players and Wenger still to an extent wants to play the Barca way. With Ibramovich they had a spearhead but without them they haven’t really suffered.
    Whoever plays on the flanks we need to improve our crossing and get more than one man in the box and often last season there was absolutely no one, therefore crossing was pointless.

We play better with the ball on the ground generally. Giroud is OK and hopefully regardless of the opposition in this far eastern tour he will have gained more confidence with his goals. podolski has the best shot but hardly lasts 70 minutes.
    I would say we need a quality attacking player who can more often than not walk through a defence and slot the ball home,Suarez fits the bill, cover in midfield and a keeper.

41. evonne says:

Ha GiE! You should have come with me – 6 different starters, wild salmon baked in crispy pastry, lasagne, fancy fish thingies, mozzarella and beef tomatoe salad, baby spuds, different salads, rice AND 6 most delicious desserts!! I had 2 helpings :)

All of it in a fantastic venue, surrounded by woods and parklands, grounds with designer gardens with heated swimming pool and fish pond in the background……..out of this world. Next time you are in London you must visit Peaches :)

Oh yeah, waitresses in skimpiest mini skirts that Chas would approve of

42. evonne says:

Rocky – and whom do you have in mind? Because none of the rumoured players would fit into that role. Even Rooney wants to leave Manyoo coz he doesn’t want to play the second fiddle

43. evonne says:

checked Paddy Power odds and they reckon that Ronaldo, Fellaini and Cesc are going to Manyoo, Wayne to Chelsea, Torrez to Napoli and Suarez to Arsenal. I wish I could remember this and compare with actual transfers in September.

44. evonne says:

fine. be like that. see if I care

evonne
    complementing a player is not the same as playing second fiddle.

Was God second fiddle to Thierry?

Was Merse second fiddle to Ian Wright?

46. Gooner In Exile says:

Evonne I will have to detour on way home tomorrow (I am in Sunbury and will be circling the M25)

Last word on this.

Thanks GiE, RA, GN5, Evonne and anyone else, who took my comment as it was intended. As RA rightly pointed out, no insults or nasties were exchanged, and I do get how our pack mentality of defending this great site from apparent attack can sometimes be interpreted in the wrong way by visitors.

Bloddy hell,

Reading through yesterdays comments, and I am seriously hungry.

I was moaning only last night about standars in this household, but problem is, like yesterday, we left at about 8am and didn’t get home till late.

Today then, the focus shall be on expensive food rather than expensive footballers.

49. Gooner In Exile says:

The man who catches lobsters for fun is complaining about the food standards? Time for a reality check :)

Morning Micky and GIE

I don’t know if you realise that as Rasp and peaches are extremely busy Raddy and I often have spent hours moderating AA to keep it in the custom and standard that we have come to expect.

Raddy is away and I don’t have the time at the moment for reasons recently explained.
    If this continues I suggest we do what many other sites do and that is put certain e mail addresses in moderation until one of the principles or moderators are available to release or trash the comment.

It’s not something I really want but this endless name changing from a few pests just to leave a distasteful one liner is extremely annoying.

51. Gooner In Exile says:

Kelsey problem is Sniffer just keeps changing his email address, in your absence Raddy, Rocky and myself usually just delete the comment, however if someone else has responded it kind of messes with the timeline so I may leave it up.

I see, so there is no perfect solution unless we monitor 24/7.

Just back from my hols and horror of horror, no new signings!

Rasp, if you are about, I have no idea what has been going on, what do you mean “Higuain gone”?

And how serious are the Suarez rumours?

Superb read Micky.

Higuain has signed for Napoli.
    Suarez. Who knows.
    Gervinho off this wek, Santos sold and Campbell out on loan.

55. evonne says:

Rocky – you are a Catholic, remember the 1st commandment – ‘There is one God and you should not worship other Gods’

Smoked duck, lobsters and wild salmon – long gone are the days of proper football hooligans :)

Me thinks we need a post that would rattle a cage or two; something that will bring some nasty one liners, but will be read my many; something along the lines – Suarez is a thug and we don’t want him at the Arsenal or if Wenger doesn’t spend big we want him out…something contagious.

No Micky, I cannot write it at the moment.

56. evonne says:

Kelsey – we could trace Sniffer, but it would not be easy, probably not worth the hassle. But we can block ALL bloggers who sign in by proxy; again, he ain’t worth it

Morning LB, Higuain has signed for Napoli – hence ‘gone’ :?

We cannot put the troll’s IP address in banned as it changes all the time as GiE has explained. There are measures we can take to disinfect our site of his/her presence but we were hoping the idiot would just fade away.

59. Red Arse says:

Morning All, :-)

Now let me see.
    From whizzing thru’ the radio stations yesterday and this morning it seems every ex-Liverpool or Manure player is encouraging Suarez to snub Arsenal. What is it with these people?

If Bale goes to RM for billions of pounds, then Arsenal may get Suarez. But if Bale stays at the Spuds until next year – RM will be in for Suarez this year – and he will snub Arsenal.

Etc, etc.

No wonder AW/The Board/Dickery Laws et al have such difficulty in signing players. We are either dealing with the political masters of RM or Barca, or stupid, insulting, shilly-shallying non-footballing directors of ‘Pool behaving like gormless geeks, with ex-players sodding about to gain personal exposure, or various media outlets stirring things up nicely (from their point of view).

What a mess! Sympathies should go to the Arsenal for having so many meddlers on our case!

Thanks Kelsey, I see you answered LB’s question before me. To add my slant to his ‘what’s happening about Suarez’ question, I’d respond – he will not sign for Arsenal!

Morning Redders, are you in the camp that believes we would triple our transfer record and sign Suarez?

62. Red Arse says:

Rasper,

The troll’s one liners are utterly beyond comprehension, but are not in themselves offensive (usually) and easily ignored.

He gets the occasional response as a result of the natural courtesy of bloggers on AA to speak to ‘new’ folk, and frankly that should not change.

You guys with your ‘delete’ buttons do a good job, and I don’t think we should change that or we could get into a situation where we take a shotgun approach to shooting a mosquito on one’s toe.

Oddly, if he tried to explain himself, and justify his increasingly moronic one line non sequiturs he would get the conversation from bloggers on here that he so desperately wants. [Are you reading this Sniffer?]

RA
    You’re being very generous, as Sniffer does not “do” dialogue. He’s just a bad smell and that’s it :-(

64. Red Arse says:

Rasper, :-)

I have a strange dichotomy with myself regarding the possible signing of Suarez.

I do not like the way the guy has behaved, and his persistent diving, not to mention biting, goes against everything that I believe is the correct sporting ethic.

However, moralizing is a tricky path to tread, so if I was asked ‘is he a good player?’ I would answer yes.

Would I want him to play for Arsenal? Leaving the moralizing aside I would say, yes.

Do I think he is worth £40m to £50m? I just cannot fathom football values but if that is the market rate — OK.

Do I think he will join us? Depends — on whether Arsenal are prepared to meet the ‘market rate’ and what RM and Spurs get up to with Bale.

Final thought: We should not prostitute ourselves to these b*stards, and if we make an offer, and they accept – fine. If they mess around, we should walk away with our heads held high, and go get someone else. They are out there — look at Benteke last year – an unknown who went to Villa and performed brilliantly.

Sorry you asked me now, eh? :-)

65. Red Arse says:

I know, Micky.

But when you consider his possible reasons for behaving the way he does, it is possible there is a proper fan somewhere in there who finds it hard/impossible to communicate — or he is after one of your lobsters!! :-)

66. Shard says:

Morning everyone,

In regards to the post, I don’t think players in the first team squad these days get ‘dropped’ too often. Merely rotated. In any case, I think what a player like Suarez will offer will be variety in attack and various options.

Podolski is the powerhouse, and finisher. Theo the speed merchant (as well as a finisher) Giroud the pivot (and poacher). Cazorla is the creative force. But we lack a striker who can do what Gervinho should have been doing. Spreading mayhem in the defense.

I don’t like Suarez, and I personally, don’t want him wearing the Arsenal shirt. But I am resigned to our interest in him being real, and I can understand the rationale behind it. He could play wide instead of Podolski, and interchange with Cazorla. He could play as striker, drop deep and feed Podolski and Theo who’d make runs from out wide. He could allow us to rest Cazorla sometimes (although there’s Rosicky, who is a fantastic player) He would definitely add something to us, and Giroud is in no danger of being dropped.

As for Liverpool. As I said, I do not want Suarez (despite what he’ll bring to the team), but Liverpool officials, their ex-players, and their fans are all making me want us to get him, just to spite them. I have nothing against Liverpool, but to go moaning on to the press about how unfair life is, and why would Suarez be interested in Arsenal anyway when Liverpool is a bigger club etc just shows a distinct lack of class.

To answer Rasp, yes I think we are willing to go that high. There aren’t many options that we have. I read a theory that Bernard is our backup plan to Suarez, which also makes sense. But I think we’re willing to go for Suarez, with the added benefit of it being a statement. I also think the whole media circus is Liverpool’s attempt to induce another team to bid, as well as manipulate their fans into blaming Suarez and Arsenal once they sell, rather than Liverpool who have shown such ‘strength’ in their statements.

Thanks Redders and Shard. I am obviously in the minority in thinking that we would not even pay over £30m for a player as things are, and the reported £40m+1 bid is merely a means to a different end.

Although I am in the minority, I reckon that if any of us had to bet our house on it, and had to choose between these 2 options …….

1. We buy Suarez for £45m (pool probably won’t accept less than 50m)

2. We ‘try hard’ but fail to sign Suarez but bring in a defender and one other player we’ve not even been linked with thus far.

…. the vast majority would go for option 2 :)

69. Norfolk Gooner says:

RA, You have summed up the Suarez question(s) admirably. Maybe he could be fitted with a Hannibal Lecter type gag, as to his diving, sad is it may seem, the old adage “If you can’t beat them join them” comes to mind.

RA
    Reading between the lines, I believe you are saying “plop him in boiling water” :-)

On Suarez

Arsenal are certainly not denying it, and you would think they could only envisage bad PR with the fans if we weren’t shopping in that bracket, so they would kill the rumour stone dead.
    The whole saga is very un Arsenal-like on many levels, which oddly enough, is why I believe there may be something in it.

71. Shard says:

Rasp

Would you rather Bale stayed at Spurs, or be sold for 85m?

Hi Shard, actually I would rather he stayed, because I think with Paulinho and Soldado, they would be stronger than with Bale, but more importantly, Real would then probably buy Suarez and that whole pantomime would then be put to bed.

73. Shard says:

Rasp,

Is that because you don’t want Suarez at Arsenal? Why else would you want Arsenal to miss out on a target? Or do you think he’s not our target at all. If so, please explain what ends you feel the 40m bid is for.

I too would prefer Bale to stay. I don’t think he’s as good as is being made out, and I think Spurs can do a lot of good with that kind of money, including in terms of their stadium project.

Thanks Shard, I don’t think Suarez is a serious target at all so I’d be happy if we could all stop dreaming that he is.

I agree, I don’t want the spuds to get the money. They are deluded if they think it will all go back into players but Its likely they would get Soldado and he will score more goals for them than Bale who as you say, is unlikely to have such a good season as last year.

On that bombshell :lol: ……..

….. New post …….

76. Red Arse says:

Rasp,

I am not sure you are in a minority really.

Most fans, if asked, would say ‘yes’ to a shiny new player, or two, or three and leave the monetary consequences to those who run the club.

However, even the most gung ho fan must wonder what affect spending £50m would have on other player acquisitions.

We have a slightly ageing squad, in some positions, and the question is, ‘are Arsenal putting all their monetary eggs in one basket, buying only one player for such a huge sum?’. What concerns me is whether or not we are mortgaging future purchases (one or maybe two years) and that next year we will be back to buying sod all.

So not a minority then, just that you are expressing some concern that others are suppressing with the lure of the here and now. :-)

…… Also, if the totts keep Bale, and Suarez (not a nice man) goes to Madrid, we could buy Soldado as he’s valued at around £23m

78. Shard says:

If Bale goes for that amount of money (Some are saying there’ll be swap deals for Angel Di Maria and Coentrao included), Arsenal sign Suarez and 2-3 players in other positions. ManU get a midfielder like Modric or Gundogan. Liverpool use our money to strengthen well, and Chelsea get Rooney. Along with the signings City have made, it could make for a really tight race for the title.

Some like Liverpool will probably only play the role of spoilers at best. Their squad isn’t great and Rodgers as yet to prove himself. Ditto for Moyes at ManU, although they’ll be contenders. Spurs..You wouldn’t think it possible, but there;s a chance they can challenge. That leaves City, Chelsea and Arsenal. I give us a real chance if we get our business done. It could be a fantastic season of football.

Hi Redders, I agree 100%. Adding a £50m player, who’s a bit of a nutter and on big wages to a happy and bsettled squad is likely to undo all the good work of building that squad.