Arsenal Transfers Great Expectations

This is a covert operation to unearth your deepest desires, and no shame can be attributed as it’s secret. Well, you know how it is in practice, Obama and Peaches may be spying, but hey!

Now this is only going to work if you are sensible, and it is the “minimum” requirement to make you happy.

So, I need to make an assumption, and that is that unless you are smoking some seriously strong stuff, or you are Mr Henry at Liverpool and think Andy Carrolline is worth £35m (long hair and pony tail), then we’ll assume you get what you pay for.

TOTAL SPEND

1.      £0. We will be fine and everything is going to be Hunky Dory.

2.      £10M. This will buy you one reasonable squad level player.

3.      £20M. Two of the above, or one Ist XI’er.

4.      £40M. One Superstar, or two 1st XI’ers.

5.      £70M. The full amount that apparently is available.

6.      £200M at least, although it makes no difference as not only am I a Black Scarfer, but I also wear a black bin liner over my head which is possible as I live at the bottom of a pond, and being a simple life form, have no need of oxygen.

Written by MickyDidIt

102 Responses to Arsenal Transfers Great Expectations

One comment, one vote. Top secret that one :-)

2. Morning MDi89 – 8 votes now and all very top secret ha ha.

Chary
    It wasn’t when I commented and voted, as it was one of each, now you can blend seamlessly into the numbers :-)

I went for the £40M, as I’d be happy with either a Superstar or two first teamers like a Bernard, and a Fellaini or most probably two I’ve never hear of.

4. I sort of guessed that’d be the case – no one wants to vote first if they can avoid it.

I voted for £70m as we need to go all out this year as it is our best chance to make up the gap on the top 3. And it looks like most agree with me – over 3/4’s of the votes are for the £70m spend option.

For those who say “Spending money doesn’t gaurantee trophies” I say “I know that, but it does increase your chances of getting one”.

So there. :)

You tell ‘em Chary. Spending is good :-)

6. Gooner In Exile says:

The serious question is if we spend will we be forced to sell (by the money men)?

Apparently Gervs off, a few released already, will Vermaelen stay, suddenly we need four if we have to sell 2.

Soldado appears to be a cheaper option than Suarez, €30m against £50m.

7. Gingernuts says:

Can’t believe Gazidick messed up on the Higuian transfer. Deal could have been done as early as last week had we pros not amateurs like dick law at the negotiating table.Arsenal were trying to use Saurez as a dummy transfer to get Higiuan as Madrid were known to be after him.Madrid sell Higuian to Napoli while Arsenal are still playing poker with Madrid over Suarez and make a bid to Liverpool of £40m (rounded of to the nearest decimal). Madrid Say you want to f£&! With us ( Alpachino way) to Arsenal and tell them to turn their tv on. Dick Law and Gazidas watch in disbelief as they see Higuian having a medical at Napoli. Meanwhile Liverpool reject our bid for the Racist Cannibal.

Thanks Micky, you already know how much I expect Arsenal to spend.

Going back to the tail end of yesterday’s post and GiE’s 3 reasons for not wanting Suarez……

1) we have a number of black players
    2) he bit someone on the football pitch……twice
    3) he is a diving cheat

I agree with those reasons but I’d still take him. I’d rather have bought Higuain and we could have got him for less than the £40m we’ve offered for Suarez.

So my point is, we were only ever prepared to buy Higuain if we could get him on the cheap and we are feigning interest in Suarez to save face and try to convince the footballing world we are serious about signing top players.

9. Manthan says:

I want wenger to spend 70m, because without spending we cannot win premier league.. I don’t know what happened in Higuain saga. we were about to sign him in the beginning. Everything was looking good but again same old mata story repeated. Nevertheless lets see whats next..

10. Manthan says:

Yesterday saw Bernand playing. I am really impressed with him he is similar to coutinho.. If we could get him for 25m Maximum It will be good business

11. Morning.
    I’d take Suarez yes he dives and bites bit like a trout .
    But we forget he’s a magic player my son is a Liverpool fan so I have watched him many times.
    He can score some class goals and he’s not that old .
    Again the board fuc€ed up over Hugain it does my wolly head in .
    We also need a few more team players as I see we are selling a few off, about time to .
    Much love
    Sheep Hagger ™

12. Gooner In Exile says:

Ginger or of course Napoli used a significant part of their Cavani windfall to land their man…..and that’s what Madrid were waiting for.

But of course I can’t possibly suggest that none of this actually happened as I will just be told there is no smoke without fire….whereas I suggest the media create a lot of smoke, and PR men do a lot of spinning.

Of course if Wenger was after Higuain and we have £70 m to spend and the board want to spend it, can someone explain who is to blame….Wenger or The Board? This is what is going to annoy me the most about this summer, Wenger will be blamed yet again by fans for not spending, but you have to ask LBs question if Wenger was offered Messi would he say no? So on that basis if Wenger has identified a target do we really think he will go back to the board and demand they don’t buy them because the fee went up £5m?

I fear Wenger will have more material for his book this summer.

Hi Manthan, Bernard is a really good player and we will get more goals from the left if he’s in the team. My expectation/hope has come down to Bernard and Ashley Williams. We definitely need to sign a defender or risk a couple of injuries putting paid to our season.

14. Manthan says:

Rasp I agree Raspy, We need a defender backup…

15. Manthan says:

SheepHagger,
    I want to add one more point. No matter how saurez character is but whenever he plays he plays with his heart. He gives his all commitment that is what matter wasn’t It?

16. Norfolk Gooner says:

I’ve cast my vote and it shall remain secret, at least apart from anybody reading this comment. £70 million, we’ve got it, we need some ready made talent, we can afford to move from Lidl to Fortnum and Mason.

Only problem is the Dick and Ivan show, why do those two just sit around with their fingers up their a***s?

17. Manthan
    I explained above my thoughts on Suarez I’d dont care if he wears his heart on his sleeve or his arse.
    Ps learn to spell my name.
    Sheep Hagger™

18. Manthan says:

Moreover this is the first summer from past 3 or 4 windows that no first team player is leaving us.. So this is the best chance to add an quality player…

Hi GiE, I’m going to use the term ‘administration’ if I want to criticise the way we do transfer business because I agree that none of us know who really pulls the strings.

I do think that saying we’ve got £70m to spend is a poor bargaining ploy and offering more for Suarez than we could have bought Higuain for suggests we are not really prepared to pay the price for Suarez … we’re just posturing in the transfer market.

If the tots do keep Bale and get Soldado (career average of a goal every 2 games), then they will be significantly stronger having already got their midfield playmaker in Paulinho

20. A goal every 32 games Raspers ?! He’s shite.

21. Manthan says:

Spurs got Chadli too rigth?

22. Chaddi boy is the replacement for Bale I reckon Manthan.

:lol: well spotted chary, I’ve amended it to a goal every 2 games

24. I was thinking that was a very poor strike rate, but the Spuds do buy some garbage Raspers.

25. For £40m i want a goal a game and a goal every two shots…..not too much to ask is it? :D

Rasp I think you’re right to say administration.

Soldado’s stats are much better than Suarez’s i highlighted Suarez’s goals per shot this morning, here are Soldado’s at Valencia in La Liga:

12/13 – 24 – 100
    11/12 – 17 – 80
    10/11 – 18 – 80

All competitions (incl international)

12/13 – 34 – 124
    11/12 – 27 – 112
    10/11 – 25 – 98

Suarez at Pool (EPL):

12/13 23 – 187
    11/12 11 – 128
    10/11 4 – 55

Suarez all competitions (int’ and Ajax)

12/13 40 – 255
    11/12 27 – 184
    10/11 17 – 111

Higuain at Madrid (La Liga):

12/13 16 – 56
    11/12 22 – 60
    10/11 10 – 49

Higuain all competitions:

12/13 28 – 111
    11/12 32 – 96
    10/11 19 – 86

Ok I may go cry a bit now………

Especially when you add assists:
    12/13 – 11/12 – 10/11
    Higuain 10 – 9 – 7
    Soldado 6 – 6 -3
    Suarez 6 – 9 -8

So Soldado is the most efficient striker in terms of shot conversion. He must be significantly cheaper than the others because he is 28 and will have little sell-on value? There has been no mention of Arsenal interest in Soldado that I know of.

27. Our players for EPL last season only (goals/shots/assists):

Podolski 11 – 54 – 9
    Giroud 11 – 107 – 3
    Walcott 14 – 87 – 10
    Gervinho 5 – 34 – 3
    Cazorla 12 – 115 – 11

You would expect Santi to have more shots considering where he is playing.

28. Unfortunately not Rasp, i guess because of the age thing, but according to reports Spuds made an offer that was turned down flat, as it didn’t meet the €30m asking price. That’s cheap!!

I’m impressed that some people know so much about how we handled the Higuain “bid”.

Given that the club has never mentioned him in any capacity I assumed it was just the usual summer media bollix.

But obviously some correspondents here were privy to our “negotiations” or are being privately briefed by those at the very top of our club. In which case, please tell us more secrets..

Morning Rocky, it comes down to what you choose to believe. Sometimes there are smokescreens, other times no smoke without fire.

I have heard many interviews with agents/pundits/reporters that have commented on our interest in Higuain. If you want to wait for something from the club, that would generally only be after he’s signed. If we don’t sign the player, they are hardly likely to come out and say ‘we tried but failed’ at this point in the transfer window – although they often make such statements at the AGM when accused of a lack of ambition.

Hi GiE, I think 30m euros for Soldado compared to £50m for Suarez is a bit of a bargain. It would be great if the spuds lost Bale and we snapped up Soldado from under their noses :lol:

32. Rocky the problem we have is that ever since the “truth?!?” that Mata was a done deal that the club screwed up and allowed to go to Chavs the general feeling prefaces all transfer bollix and opinions.

Pool are being very public about our offers for Suarez, yet we have said nothing, doesn’t make sense for Liverpool to unsettle their own player if they want to keep him, so i guess they have made the decision to sell, but are playing the reluctant seller. In my view in the hope that Madrid come along and offer more, which backed with their Higuain money they could do…..the only issue is whether they are more interested in Bale, if so this could run and run until deadline day…..i do hope not.

Season kicks off in less than four weeks!

33. Even better if they pay his cab fare from Shite Hart Lane to the Emirates, or bribe the car company that picks him up from the airport to drive him round Islington and the Emirates before going to Tottenham, that may persuade him :D

In other news Moyes has been accused of being a bit prehistoric in his training routines and appears to have damaged BSR….ahhhh shame.

Very long link http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/10200933/Robin-van-Persies-pre-season-injury-niggle-is-down-to-dinosaur-coaching-methods-says-Dutch-fitness-expert.html

The one that astonished me and was confirmed by Gazidis and Bob Wilson was that we did offer a large sum of money for Pepe Reina a couple of years ago.

Suarez 23 goals against Prem defences and in a rubbish team. He’ll get more than that with us.

And we get a real alternative striker. All dribbly. Bet most of the chances he missed he created himself.

Suarez would most likely have won the Golden Boot had it not been for his ban

37. Thank you MDI89, your teasing post raises more questions that answers.
    In regards to the bigger picture, we’re behind the top three and if we’re not careful we’ll fall so far behind it’ll be impossible to catch them. Arsenal need to strike a balance of being brave and pro-active, whilst obviously retaining the class which seperates us from the rest. Money has taken over, and even though the odd Swansea or Wigan buck the trend with a one-off Cup success, the big prizes tend to go to the big spenders.
    Your post is really addressing a bigger fundamental question about who we are and the direction we are taking.

38. Jamie says:

Rasp @12:38 Actually he would have won it if not for his teeth

:)Jamie, that’s what worries me – if we did sign Suarez, we’d have to learn to love him :(

WaTA, that’s an excellent point. I’d certainly go for your ‘retaining the class which separates us from the rest’ option, and that may mean not trying to compete with the big clubs in the transfer market but certainly doing a better job at securing the services of good quality players not on their radar.

41. Hi Rasp, it certainly calls for more due dilligence from our scouting network. The gems that we unearthed up until very recently seem to have dried up a little, and of course, other clubs have caught up in terms of their own scouting.
    There’s not a whole lot wrong at the club, and if the right measures are implemented, there’s plenty to be optimistic about.

I agree, the emerging talent is very exciting but still a couple of seasons away from prem-ready.

I have maintained for some while that even with our ‘new money’ we cannot compete with the clubs with billionaire owners who are happy to splash the cash, but we can be the best of the rest and we should resist selling our best players to our rivals.

I think we are fine in midfield but could do with injecting some quality at the back and front. Our scouting network certainly seems to have lost its edge, or more likely others have caught up with us.

Wow, I’m truly amazed how folks can take to heart, and rationalize their feelings over nothing more than Red Top inspired rumours designed to sell papers.

But based just on today’s comments the red Top meanderings create the type of emotion that they look for, amazing!

I mean no offense in my comment, after all to each his own, but I’m amazed.

44. I thought Mario Gomez would have been the perfect solution for us, I was surprised he was allowed to join Fiorentina without us or any other English club registering an interest.
    *£15m and £80,000 a week in wages (*according to several media sources) for a goal machine, and proven at top-level with Bayern and Germany, and someone who would have linked well with Podolski.

45. goonerjake says:

I chose the £20 million mark. I still do not like the thought of spending £ 40 million to £50 million on one player. More to the point i strongly believe no player is worth above £25 million, i see it as an industry gone mad and was proud that my club was not joining in with the ‘immoral’ player prices that other cash rich clubs were paying.

NB. If a option in the poll to spend £40 million on two world class positions and an extra £10 million for two up and coming players for the future ….. i would of plumped for that.

As always the above is JUST my opinion and it in no way is critical of other views and opinions – after all no one is infalible :)

46. By the way, I didn’t vote because head and heart are seperate matters. Arsenal are a strange conundrum, we’ve adopted a holistic self-sustaining model, but with very limited success in terms of youth players who have come through and made an impact.
    If we want to be as feared as Bayern Munich and Barca and become a major force in Europe, we have to spend whatever that takes, but we’re not that club. Arsenal’s brand is unique in world football, it has always carried an appealing reverence of class. That is the trade-off for every Arsenal fan, we’re not decorated with European Cup’s, but on the flip-side of that, no amount of money can buy the class that is woven into the fabric of our club, and is envied world-wide.

47. evonne says:

who wrote that post about Wenger the samurai? It should have been about Per

48. evonne says:

we are the arsenal – I am not sure I understand your logic – why would being classy stopped us from spending big money? The two are not mutually exclusive

49. goonerjake says:

we are the arsenal – simply put i agree

50. evonne says:

some shockers here – Asian fans singing, Giroud taking his pants off for the public (what’s that all about??) and Ox admitting to falling asleep at the Ems on a match day

51. Red Arse says:

I am rotten spoilsport because I am not really a ‘poll’ aficionado.

But if you could introduce a “Spend enough to improve the team” category, with the implied caveat — do not spend simply to appease some fans — I would vote.

What is important is the value of a player transfer to the team – not the cost.

No criticism of any blogger, living or dead, implied or intended, Rasper.

Just saying. lol

52. Hi evonne, my point was only that we are almost royalty. We are connected to the highest echelons of society through our Old Etonian roots, and lavishly squandering large amounts of money is considered vulgar. Hence our holistic self-sustaining model.

53. evonne says:

Rasp – I am very glad you are back (on your own blog), but you have spoilt the party! We were having so much fun buying all the players and winning all the cups until you reappeared in your ‘realist’s’ cap

54. evonne says:

WaTA – ‘squandering large amounts of money is considered vulgar’, just as well I am poor :)

Nay, I am convinced we are going to be vulgar this summer. The board too much noise about it and would not want to be opened to ridicule.

Do you remember how Wenger got lots of stick for not having one English player on the pitch? He bought several Brits to stop the critics. The voices about him being mean and ruining our chances of winning anything again are loud and clear. He will address that; he did last summer by spending over £40m, more than in the previous 3 years together.

55. evonne says:

WaTA – BTW, are you single?

Rasp/ Peaches,

I’ve sent you a very important email to Arsenal nuts.
    Please look at it right away.

GN5, thanks, message received and understood

evonne, I do sense that my take on events is not welcome so I shall restrict my comments for the time being in the interest of harmony :)

59. Ha ha evonne :)
    Yes, still looking for my own Kate Middleton.

Thanks Micky

Money hey? The root of all evil or is it? The unit of exchange which fullfils our desires and needs. if you get nought for nought then surely it means we are all greedy, selfish, self serving plebs.

What is this you say? The other day i tried to abandon my sinful nature and embrace the real me, loving, caring, philanthropic.

i went forth into the street and offered my wallet. At first people kept there distance, but they observed, perhapes realsing what was on offer.

Eventully some youth had the courage, and i applaud and salute him, to come over. “give it to me man”. yes, i said, it is all yours my friend. “Nahh bruv, you dont understands, ime taking it, you gets me”

Of course you are i replied, it is all yours my dear boy. “Alright pops, whats the catch man? coz if your tinging me you know about it freshly”

Despite my pleas, the youth would not accept, Instead he tried to take it violently, leaving me no choice but to apply a deadly Shititsue headlock on him were i then proceeded to remove my hair piece and shove it down his throat.

The wig is a bit mangled, but i think it will be ok for everday routines, but not weddings or partys, were people tend to look closely at the hairline.

From this conclusion Micky, there is no such thing as ‘nought for nought’ or even ‘something for nought’. Therefore i voted for £200M, even though i will get nought. hahaha

61. goonerjake says:

I dont think we will be spending big, maybe 15 mill tops. Cant believe we would spend 30 mill plus on anyone. Maybe 25 mill at a push to bring cesc back and around 18 mill for bernard, but as for 40 mill for suarez i just dont buy it, If they played like they did for the last 18 games all season id be quite happy with the squad we have got and maybe use the money to lower ticket prices.

62. evonne says:

If you don’t stop being silly we will bar you from your blog! Look how many posts we have since you came back, twice the normal amount, and that’s will Raddy being away and Mick fecking about with pot. No, you are very welcome here :)

WaTA – Kate Middleton? Oh dear, you are not over 60 then?

63. Not for a few years yet evonne.

64. evonne says:

good for you WaTA :)

apparently 44% of Talkshite callers think that Chavs are going to win the league this season. They might be right, but it is going to be very tough and we will give them a run for their money

65. Norfolk Gooner says:

Evonne, shouldn’t that be “a run for Abramovich’s money”? :D

Micky
    Forgot to say, thanks for a good convo starter.

I voted for big fat zero, just to be devilish :)

67. evonne says:

yes Norfolk, a run for Abramovich’s rubles

do you think Chavs will win? That nasty Maureen will be gagging to prove RM wrong

68. evonne says:

I was wondering what **** voted for £0, should have known :)

Cheers, Micky.

We could do with a song like this……

I voted for zero, too.

71. Irishgunner says:

Evening everyone – I was hoping we’d have 2 top players signed by now and ready to go for next season – getting a tad worried now.

Very brief evening all.

Results of voting: I expected a good turn out for the minimum £200M to make happy, and I expected the odd Zero, but my wild card was the £10M wedged in between 0 and 20.

I mean, and I’m ROLFING, what’s the point? It would make no noticeable difference whatsoever :-)

Join you in the morning.

74. Rob Lucci says:

Chas, top this.. :-)

75. Gooner In Exile says:

God love Jenkinson, can that be a requisite on all players signed…..must have a family history of Arsenal support :)

76. Gooner In Exile says:

GN5 in reference to your 2:22pm (I know I’m late to the party) you spoke of Red Top meandering a and how several have taken them to heart.

Whilst I am happy to discount quoteless articles, it is not so easy to discount the Duarez story due to the number of quotes coming out of Liverpool….either they are using us as a scapegoat, or we are actually making the offers they keep blabbing to the press about or taking to twitter about.

fish
    “mug”

Pollack…..

78. Wenger says:

TMHT
    “I think we will win it next year.” “It won’t be easy but we will win it”

Muppet

GIE@11:37.

Eventually at least one of the Red Top utterances will come true, I stand by my stance, which is not to either read the articles or to buy into any of the blog (including AA) meanderings.

When I read it on Arsenal.com I become a believer. Until that point I put my trust in the skilled people at AFC who are paid to do a job that any of us could only dream to have………..I neither get bent out of shape or get excited until AFC have spoken.

GN5

You’re a Belieber, did you say? :-)

For me, there’s a balance. There is nothing Arsenal to talk about at the moment, so some speculation is fun and interesting.

Personally, I love reading people like GiE’s interpretations of what’s going on.

The line comes when people start getting cross and angry when a “rumour” hasn’t come true. Although even that I find funny.

81. evonne says:

Rob – best clip ever :)

82. evonne says:

Oh no Micky, that is the funniest bit – people getting angry over things that they didn’t, don’t and never will have any say about. It is almost like getting angry about the weather – oh another rainy day ffs, same as last year we missed out on a sunny summer

We missed out on Higuain, have we? tthere was no confirmation from either club to confirm we bid for him. Would he perform in EPL – we will never know. he is coming to Ems to play for Milan……etc etc etc . So much grief over something that most probably was never to be

True Evonne.

Why would we ever have been after Higuain? He offers no real alternative to Ollie.

I also wonder whether RM could afford Suarez, sale of Hig or not, as they’ve spent an awful lot already.

Doubt we’ve even spoken to RM, myself.

84. evonne says:

Even if we did bid for him and lost the bid – so what? Perhaps the player chose Milan or the price was higher than our valuation. One way or another I cannot see how the story reflects badly on Wenger and co,

Did you see your Ollie taking his shorts off? It was very weird and tasteless. Ox on the plane made me laugh though, he is my favourite now, love his humour

86. Gooner In Exile says:

The squad appears to be having a lot of fun over in Asia…..much better than the serious faces donned so often in England. Maybe we should start playing some matches abroad as PL mooted a while back.

I remember from the Alan Davis podcast a while back he talked about an evening he hosted at the Emirates one of those charity gala type things and how when he was trying to get a couple of lads up on stage they all just stared at their feet. This was when we still had Cesc, Nasri, Song etc. Appears to be a change in spirit in the camp there seems to be more smiles and more banter between the players…..this is a good thing!

The only time I like red top garbage is when it concocts lies about other clubs.

“The Reds are in a straight fight with dithering Spurs for Valencia’s £26million man as angry Suarez edges closer to a move to Arsenal. Liverpool have not yet made a bid to the Spain international’s club Valencia, but they are being helped by Spurs’ reluctance so far to meet his £26million asking price.”

88. evonne says:

if nothing else the Asian trip was a good bonding exercise for our boys. Too much of Podolski and not enough of Szczesny – did he go?

I loved the framed photo of Wenger, priceless :) And Jack is a bit of a celebrity over there, interesting

89. evonne says:

this one made my day :) :)

No post in drafts for today so far …………………..

Peaches,

It’s getting tough.

People scoff at transfer speculation, Rasp doesn’t feel alternative views are welcome, and let’s face it, we’ve done the stadium, nibbles, pricing, memories and pretty much everything else.

I think we need some new authors, and for that, I reckon we need to be more open to other ideas.

Perhaps a suggestions day at some point.

Hi Micky, its not that I don’t feel alternative views are welcome, its just that I wasn’t in tune with the general mood of ‘we’re not going to get upset even if the club doesn’t live up to the expectations it has created’ …. if you know what I mean.

You lot are probably right, we should soldier on with light hearted banter and leave the other blogs to get aereated :P

Giant blue cock adorns Trafalgar Square

Morning all …..

….I’ve cobbled together a quick post to start you all off :P

………. New post

95. Priscilla says:

I do not drop many responses, however i did a few searching and wound up here Arsenal Transfers Great Expectations | Arsenal Arsenal.
    And I do have a couple of questions for you if it’s allright. Is it only me or does it look like some of these responses come across as if they are coming from brain dead folks? :-P And, if you are posting at additional sites, I’d like
    to follow everything new you have to post. Would you list of the complete urls of all your public sites like your twitter feed,
    Facebook page or linkedin profile?

96. Minna says:

I was suggested this website by my cousin. I am not sure
    whether this post is written by him as no one else know such detailed about my difficulty.
    You’re incredible! Thanks!