How Much Is Cesc Worth?

I’m not asking what Cesc’s value is in the transfer market.

Rather, what is Cesc worth to Arsenal right now – and how much would we be prepared to pay for him?

We all know the fee we got for him from Barcelona (£25m) was ludicrously low. Cesc had openly stated that Catalonia was the only destination he would contemplate, so there was no chance of getting a bidding war going.

But with Manchester United apparently confirming that they want to sign our erstwhile hero this summer, some uncomfortable questions have been raised.

Not least, could any of us bear the sight of Cesc linking up with Brave Sir Robin for one of our rivals in the Premier League next season?

One of the much-reported aspects of the deal we made in selling Cesc to Barca was that we would have “first refusal” to buy him back should Barca want to sell him.

Arsene Wenger more or less confirmed this the other day during our Far East tour, telling reporters: “Fabregas has decided to stay one more year at Barcelona. Unless he has changed his mind. I don’t know. But that’s what I have been told. We have the clause in his contract so we would be on alert but at the moment that’s not something we are after.”

Although he didn’t give any more detail on “the clause in his contract” it seemed to be a tacit admission that we do have “first refusal.”

But what does that actually mean?

Does it mean that we have the right to buy back Cesc at a pre-agreed fee?

Or that we have the right to match any other club’s bid for him?

Or that we have the right to be informed of another club’s bid and start our own negotiations with the club and player if we want to compete?

The more you think about it, the less useful our “first refusal” seems. If it simply gives us the option to match another club’s bid then we probably have little chance of bringing back Cesc if the likes of ManUre, the Northern or Southern Oilers or even PSG are in the race.

But let’s suppose Manchester United offer a transfer amount with which we CAN compete (for example,  £25m-£30m), but also offer the player personal terms which are way beyond anything we pay any of our players.

One report I read yesterday said the Mancs were offering to double Cesc’s wages if he moved to Old Toilet.

Cesc talks very fondly of Arsenal and Arsene Wenger. But when it comes to believing in player loyalty our fingers have been burnt more often than a blind baker’s and we would be rash to assume he could not be lured to one of our rivals by piles of filthy lucre.

For us to hijack the move, we would presumably need to match whatever personal terms United are offering.

Which brings me to my original question: IF Cesc does leave Barcelona this summer (and let’s remember that he has so far said he does not want to leave)  how much should/would Arsenal be prepared to pay to bring him back to The Home Of Football?

Would we match a transfer fee of £40m? Would we match wages of £200k per week? £250k per week?

If we did, do we risk having a queue of other players at the manager’s door demanding pay rises? Does it create disharmony in the dressing room?

On the other hand, maybe it’s worth paying £200k per week to make sure Manchester United do NOT have Cesc linking up with the Dutchman.

Maybe we don’t need  Cesc at all.

I am conflicted about all of this. I would like Cesc back in our squad; I would hate to see him in a Manc shirt; but if we’re going to spend  £30-odd million on a player this year I would rather we got a world class striker.

What do you think?

How much is Cesc worth to us?

RockyLives

138 Responses to How Much Is Cesc Worth?

1. Norris says:

We ended up getting about £35m for him after add ons were, err, added on when Barca won stuff.

If he is surplus to their requirements this season, we should definitely get him, even tho I think other areas are a much higher and urgent priority.

But this is Cesc we are talking bout!

2. Norris says:

We wouldn’t need to match any rival bid. Arsenal have first refusal at a set fee, £25m. As for the wages, I don’t see them being as big an issue as they so obviously were to Na$ri and vank Pur$€$trings!

Nice one, Rocky.

Because we sold Cesc to Barca for less than his market value, maybe the “clause” that was built into the sale was that we could buy him back at the same price. Yeah, right. Also, he supposedly took a pay cut to go to Barca and automatically win something in the Spanish pub league, so maybe he could do the same to allow us to welcome him back. :)

I don’t want him back in the country playing for someone else, but can’t see that as a reason for bringing him back to his spiritual home. Unfortunately for him he was part of a failed generation at Arsenal which has now been virtually erased completely.

A new dawn is exploding from its ashes like a pheasant from the flames. As Bernard Matthews once said, ‘Nobody likes old turkey’.

4. Arseniel says:

I’m over cesc. He really mugged us off when and how he left. I for one won’t forgive him and don’t want him back. I’m certainly not going to pine after him like a fool who continues after 2 years to dream about getting his old lover back even though she keeps repeating that she’d rather be with a guy who treats her badly. She’s smart though because she tells him she’d only want go to him if she ever left this bloke and he’s so desperate, he laps it and pins all his hope on that as the other fella laughs his head of. COME ON GOONERS. WHERE’S YOUR PRIDE. GET OVER HIM!

Ey up, Norris.
    Presumably from the sense you speak, you’re not Sniffer’s older brother?
    Is that true about the fixed price buy back? I mentioned it thinking it was a pipe dream.

6. Norris says:

Chas

Ha! No no relation!

Yeah, the clause is there, even AW mentioned it recently … And right on cue, Moyes has told the world that ManU have made another bid for Cesc. I think he’s trying a bit too hard to show that he is a player. I dont see Cesc going there, but it does appear that for all barcas declarations they don’t want to sell him, the mancs are being encouraged to bid by someone!

7. Morning all, a very pertinent post at the moment Mr Rock and I can rely on you to cut through the felgercarb on this queston.

The Gollum manager of Old Toilet has just confrmed a second offer has been made for Cesc so he clearly is desperate for him.

While I don’t think Cesc is as vital as an addition for our current squad as other position(Striker/CB) the thought of him linking up with the Cutch Dunt is, as many have said, vomit inducing.

Hello and thank you Rocky.

As Norris wisely says “other areas are a much higher and urgent priority”. Totally agree with that.

For me, with me interpreters hat on, Arsene’s “but at the moment that’s not something we are after” slams the door firmly on any move to us.

Personally, couldn’t care less if he joins Utd, as it will make beating them even sweeter.

9. Manthan says:

Mickydidit89,

I like your last statment “It will make beating them even sweeter”.:D I agree mate.

RL,
    I don’t think cesc will leave barca.

10. Breezy says:

I’d take Cesc back in heartbeat, if we needed him, which I don’t think we do. Last season’s run to fourth was built on the double pivot of Ramsey and Arteta at the base of the midfield with one AMC i.e. Rosicky/Carzola. Cesc would have to compete with Rosicky/Carzola and probably Jack as well. I think we’re better off looking for a more defensive minded midfielder or a box to box midfielder to rotate with Rambo and Arteta during the course of the season. Cesc will be luxury signing which i don’t think we can afford at the moment given the other areas of the squad that need to be strengthened.

Chary

Is it a Metal Fan thing to harbour such deep levels of anger? I always put it down to:

a) the bloody awful racket, or
    b) the hideous women that follow the loathsome cult

Beginning to think it’s something altogether more sinister :-(

12. Manthan says:

Still no signings for arsenal and utd rest all teams have capture at least one first team player.. I don’t know whether we will sign anybody or not but seriously we need a player or two at least to boost current players confidence..

Yesterday saw news about chadli transfer to spurs people here in india are making fun of his name by spelling it as CHADI :D :D and chadi in india means inner ware ;-) ;-0

13. Manthan, I don’t think Cesc will leave Barca either – but it’d be nice to see him say at a press ocnference in August – “No I don’t want to leave and if I do it will only ever be to Arsenal.” – a nice middle finger salute to those scummers from Old Toilet.

I aslo thought Chaldi was close to a not so glorious term – probably a subliminal comment on Spurs being a load of pants, ha ha.

14. Manthan says:

Chary,

HA HA HA HA Agree :D :D

15. Manthan says:

inner ware= underware

16. Norris says:

Breezy

I’d also suggest AOC will be deployed in the AMC position too. Meaning Cesc is not anywhere near a priority ATM. I hope he stays one more season in Spain and returns to us next year!

Id love us to sign Fellaini to bolster the defensive side of midfield. But god only knows what’s happening in terms of new signings!

17. And the Gollum of Old Toilet is feeling the pressure by whining that he’s “only been in the job 3 weeks” when pressed about why there have been no signings yet.

Moyes out.

18. Manthan says:

Norris,

Even I want player like fellani

19. Manthan says:

Yes Moyes out roar has been already started and believe me it will increase day by day..

20. Norris says:

Yep, lovely shiny new toys is what we need!

Cesar, Williams, Fellaini, Higuain and Suarez! Not too much to ask is it?! :)

21. Norfolk Gooner says:

Good morning to you all.

I’m firmly in the “He’s gone, get over it” camp.

I don’t think we need him, we certainly don’t want to spend £26+ million and a king’s ransom in wages on him at a time when there are more pressing needs in the squad.

When he left us he said he would only return to the Premiership as an Arsenal player. If he goes to Manure it will prove what a lying little toad he is.

22. Aren’t the ManUre glory hunters beastly, being mean to Moyes just ‘cos he hasnt won a trophy – that’s not true, he won the old 2nd division championship 13 years ago with that powerhouse of modern football: Preston North End.

Clearly he is quality.

Norris

Change your name to DidIt and think of yourself as The Wise One.

Ox as AM in a few years. Oh yes :-)

Think two years down the road and a mid of Rambo, Jack and Ox. It’ll be like that awful trio from Barca, what with all their DNA and whatnot.

Here’s a thought:

You’ll earn enough money wherever you go, but your choice here, you can work in Barcelona, London or Manchester.

My God, you had better be guaranteed trophies if heading up there.

25. Red Arse says:

Excellent stuff, Rocky. :-)

Nothing beats talking about a confidential contract between two parties, that no one on here knows the exact details of, to get the arguments raging about who ‘definitely’ knows what those confidential details are. :-)

In the legal/financial world that I inhabit, the ‘right of first refusal’ is a contractual agreement regarding the right of a legal entity (a person or company) to purchase some thing BEFORE the offering is made to other parties.

Now, nothing is ‘free’ in the real world, so Arsenal would have had to give up something of value in order to gain that right.

So, if Barca said ‘give us £50m for player X’ Arsenal would have the right to meet that price, should such a clause be included in the original contract, before Manure or anyone else got involved.

But footie transfer business is not like that, as perhaps 99% of ‘deals’ are done by negotiating a market price AFTER an interested party (or parties) has approached the player’s club.

Arsenal know this as well as anyone. So if this clause is indeed included in Cesc’s sale contract to Barca, there will probably be an ancillary clause stating what will happen if this right is not forthcoming on his re-sale.

I have no knowledge of what is contained in the confidential contract of sale between Arsenal and Barca, but thinking aloud, I would hazard a guess that if Arsenal choose not to match the offer of, say, Manure, then over a certain agreed value, (let’s say £25m for the sake of discussion) that Arsenal would receive an agreed percentage of the excess over that sum.

That means Arsenal would have the right of first refusal to match Manure’s offer, say, £30m, or receive, say, 50% of the excess over £25m.

That makes sense, (even tho’ the above figures are just for example), so either Arsenal buy Cesc for the highest bid price – £30m, or get 50% of the excess over £25m = (£30m – £25m) = 50% of £5m = ££2.5m.

There is always a fly in the ointment with such contracts in that the player’s wishes are paramount. He is not a side of bacon to be bought and sold as a commodity, but a man with human rights.
    Therefore if he wants to go to X club, rather than Y club, that is what will happen.

If Cesc is shown the door by Barca, all he has to do is say he will only go back to Arsenal, (he has form in that respect with his Barca DNA) and the current transfer ‘market’ in him collapses and Arsenal could then buy him for £25m as well as being easily able to afford to pay double his current salary, with Manure hapless bystanders.

So many ‘ifs and buts’ with so little real knowledge or information available. I am just content to watch and see how it all pans out! :-)

[Personal Note: I do not want him back as a matter of principle]

26. Breezy says:

@ Norris agreed on both accounts. Arseblog pointed out the focus on signing a striker while neglecting other areas that need to be strengthened. With the injury to Verm and now Kos, a central defender is the priority, the Fellani stuff has also gone quiet and while I realise its only July, but geting worried nonetheless

27. NorrisDidIt says:

Manchester or Barcelona??? Thats a tough call.

28. Sagna playing at centre back against Nagoya Gramps, Olly, Theo and Miyagi start up top.

29. Norris says:

Giroud is on FIRE!!! Who needs Higuain, Suarez????

Answerl We do!!! :)

And Nagoya have a fella called Danilson in their line up!

30. WiseNorris says:

Fat Boiler with Tatts or Sultry Senorita?

Let me consider this for a moment….. errr…. ummm…. :-)

I quite like the Arse shirt with Japanese on it.

32. He is less worth than Rooney…. Maybe thats why there is no link fore Rooney these days. Maybe Barce ManU and Arsenal has something going on.

Wayne Rooney might be better than Rvp. The two players has been compared over and over. Only the last 2 years Rvp has got more goals than Rooney. 2011-2012 Rooney made 27 goals, RSVP made 30. Last season Rooney lost his spot to Rvp at ManU and the rest is history….he wants to leave. Maybe Arsenal would be his only choice in England to get even and prove he is the best forward. Arsenal always produce a high amount of chances pr/match. And considering Rvp ego Rooney might produce more assist along with goals. You can go on and on….the 2 players are superclass …. the question is if Rooney and Wenger wants to make a historical gamble and let Rooney try to prove him self and show he is the one and only. Hes got the hunger and a salary of up to 300.000k pr/week would make no difference. The gamble is bigger than money….the gamble would be history. If Rooney is a perfect matc fore Arsenal, history can finally deside who is the best, Rooney or Rvp….i’ll bet the inner desire to revenge will give Rooney a headstart……. Lets hope fore a historical signing … Comments are welcome!

33. Norris says:

Doomed! We are doomed I tells ya! We have only scored 3 goals today, so that means we will obviously be relegated this season.

Dam you Stanley Kroenke!!!

As live at 1.30. No login required.

Down with the Tottnumb, we’re going down with the Tottnumb……

36. Norris says:

37. neamman says:

I would like Cesc back and I certainly have no grudge against him. He left to play for his boyhood team, If I were a great player I would certainly want to play for Arsenal in my career.
    That being said If I were playing for Arsenal and another team came in and doubled my wages I would go in an instant.
    Football is only a game and we have financial responsibilities to our families etc etc. A footballers career is only one bad injury from being over.

38. neamman says:

But I wouldn’t play for Spurs or celtic no mater what you offered me. :>)

39. Manthan says:

WHat about rumors of bernand??? Is it true?

40. Manthan says:

ooohhhhh Its not true report according to wenger… :-( :-(

I love the fact that AW has just knocked down all those stories about that Brazilian player, Bernard.

“That story is not true”, he said today in a press conference in Japan.

So all those articles written about Bernard (including lots today about how he’s having a medical at Arsenal this Friday)…. just made-up bollix, the whole lot.

You really can’t trust anything you read about any player we are “after” unless it’s confirmed by Arsenal.

Thanks for the comments.

My take on Cesc is that it will be better for all concerned if he stays in Barcelona for another year.

43. Manthan says:

RL,

I agree but its already 22 days of transfer window gone by and still there is no signing.. i doubt if wenger will change his mind about buying a new striker given the form GIourd is showing..

44. Manthan, and when Diaby returns he will be “like a new signing”….nyeurrggarrrrgggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh !!

Manthan
    We’ll make at least one big signing. I am sure of it.

Hi Rocky, great little teaser of a post :)

If Cesc leaves Barca this year or next it should only be to come back to Arsenal. We made him a more special player than he can be at Barca and he will improve our midfield. he never got a chance to play with Cazorla before and with Jack, they could be lethal.

If Cesc goes to manure, my fast declining faith in footballers integrity will reach rock bottom.

Incidentally, am I the only one who recognises an all too familiar pattern to this summers ‘non-transfer’ activity?

I’m delighted we’ve moved on so many players who have failed to make the grade, but highly skeptical that we are serious about bringing in a big name. We tried to get Higuain early and on the cheap but the price has now already gone beyond what we are prepared to pay.

Those who say we are not going to show our cards because we don’t want to push the price of our targets up should explain to me how openly stating we have £70m to spend helps keep prices down ….. it would have the opposite effect unless it was just posturing to give the impression we are serious.

47. Raspers – totally agree with your 3rd and 4th paras: Nail, head, hit, the ( x 2), on.

The longer this goes on the more my nerve starts to ebb away.

48. Red Arse says:

It’s so good to have the Rasper back to cheer us up. :-)

Now all that is needed is for Cassandra Kelsey to pop on and a) tell us we are going to sign Brazilian Bernard, oops; and b) to buy us all an ice lolly!! Yaaay!! :D

49. Redders, the only Bernards I’d have wanted were Manning or Bresslaw. Not Mathews though, I’m vegetarian.

50. Red Arse says:

CharyB, I think you missed out one definite article. :-)

The ice lolly mention (above), for those living elsewhere, is because it is about 34C in this part of Hertfordshire!! Everything is melting.

51. Yes Redders, I’m one “the” short ha ha..I’ll sort it :)

:lol: redders

53. Red Arse says:

CharyB,

I was hopeful that we would be buying a ‘proper’ right wing/midfielder in Bernard [no idea who or what Manning/Bresslaw are] is so that I would not have to keep schtum (and busting a gut doing so) about my most least favorite player who did an Ade Barndoor impersonation today. :D

54. Redders, you’d have to be a UK child of the 70’s to know about those 2 Bernard’s – although I left out Bernie the bolt, another more worthy addition to the Gooner ranks than yet another 5′ nothing wonderkid.

55. Red Arse says:

Rasp, I enjoy teasing you — but you are not far wrong.

The success and the close knit cameraderie of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid are as far from Laws and Wenger as it is possible to get.

I know, I know — you are thinking what the flip is he talking about — but I have just said — I know, I know!! :D

For me, the worst transfer was bringing in Sir Chips Keswick (aged 73) as Chairman …. it just shows how determined the Board are to keep things ‘old school’. We may have a brand new, state of the art stadium, but the Board is rooted in the past.

57. Red Arse says:

CharyB,

You probably did not get a chance to see the friendly today, but that youngster Gedion looks absolutely first class for a 16 year old.

Dare I say it — better than either Jack or Cesc at that age!

Dick Laws should only be referred to by his christian name :roll:

59. That’s the thing Redders, I really don’t care about the next wonderkid, how many of these have we seen in our stiffs and they make an appearance or 2 in the Carling Cup, then get loaned out to a spanish side and we never see them again ?

I’m a bit one eyed in that I only care about what can bolster our first team today, not in 4 years time or 3 failed work applications time later.

I think I may need one of those asbestos shreddies we were talking about for Rasp the other day – no big names in and I will combust !

60. Red Arse says:

I am not convinced the transfer inertia is necessarily a Board issue, Rasp, my friend!

To me, your earlier comment which was a polite way of saying ‘same old, same old’ transfer muddle, has Laws & Wenger written large on it. [naturally, if Arsene pulls 2 or 3 gifted players out of his hat -- I will deny all knowledge of this comment -- and blame you ...... obviously!!] :D

In the meantime, I quite enjoy reading NN and the extraordinarily contradictory and frankly stupid headlines arraigned cheek by jowl, by those ‘in the know’.
    Pillocks!! :-)

Rasp
    I rather fear you’re falling into the traditional summer trap of believing what you read.

You say: “We tried to get Higuain early and on the cheap but the price has now already gone beyond what we are prepared to pay.”

To be honest, you have no idea whether we tried to get Higuain early and on the cheap. Nor do I, nor anyone outside an inner circle at the club.

We do know that we made a bid for Suarez because Liverpool went public with it.

Beyond that… everything is hot air and wind.

Of course, that’s not to say that you’re wrong about the way the summer is heading.

However, as usual, I’m more optimistic about us making a big signing than you are :) – although I’ll concede that you’ve been more right than me in recent seasons.

62. Red Arse says:

Asbestos shreddies, CharyB? I thought asbestos ass protectors were more suitable for you and Rasper —- and for the protection of the rest of us more sanguine innocents, too. :D

63. If we get to the end of the the Torture/transfer window and we have no marquee/gazebo signings we’ll all need asbestos undies Redders, I’ve heard the term “assplosion” to describe what gooners will be experiencing ! :)

64. Red Arse says:

Well, much as i enjoy throwing gas on the fire, Rocky, I suspect that interpreting Rasp’s ire regarding ‘failed’ or unconsummated transfers, what he is really saying is that we were led to believe (well not me, of course :-) ) that a) there was a heap big pile of dough available to spend, and b) that we would would be ‘active in the market – and early’.

The definition of ‘active’ and ‘early’ is open to interpretation, as it is quite possible the club has been both, but frustratingly thwarted by other clubs not prepared to part with their goodies — the ring and Gollum spring to mind. Now that is why I do not buy into unrealistic expectations or put too much store in Arsenal’s estimates of value and time during the TW. :D

65. Red Arse says:

CharyB,

I am sure that we will end up with at least one or two new faces.

Caesar the Geezer, Boyo Williams, Barry and Milner, for example, may not excite me, but everyone else will no doubt view them as great additions to the squad, rather like when we bought a job lot of Park, Santos etc a couple of years ago.

Me? I would rather keep my money in my pocket to keep my ghoulies warm rather than have any of the aforementioned join Arsenal. :-)

66. Milner ?? Barry ??
    Now you’re just being mean Redders. :(

Redders
    If the club wanted to mount a defence, I suspect they would say that they have been active early – by getting rid of some of the “dead wood” that people go on about so much.

Clear the decks first, then bring in the shiny new toys. I hope they are of the quality of recent signings like Santi, Pod and the BFG :)

Thanks Rocky, of course none of us know for sure. I take anything from the Mail, Metro and Star (PhW’s, publicity outlet) as pure bollix. I don’t see how Higuain’s father’s comments can be dismissed so easily. At the end of the day it’s about what we choose to believe. I don’t believe we were ever seriously interested in Rooney, it would appear that there is substance to the offer for Suarez – a player who misses the first 6 games of next season and has openly stated he wants to go abroad.

I’m Pretty confident Suarez will not choose to come to Arsenal and a cynic might say the same thing for our negotiating team :-(

Redders, I was not suggesting that Sir Chips was orchestrating our transfer policy, just pointing out that we clearly aren’t looking to bring new younger, football related blood onto the board.

SS stated repeatedly at the AGM that the Board run the club. If true, I’m not impressed, if not true, we are owned by a liar.

Well I, for one, am absolutely livid about Bernard.

But wait, maybe Arsene speaks in code. I’ve got his mobile, so I’ll give the old boy a bell and quiz him about Steve.

Micky
    “Well I, for one, am absolutely livid about Bernard.”
    :D :D :D

Forgive me, but that sentence just sounds so wonderfully camp :)

I’m afraid it’s Bernard UnShaw Micky :roll:

73. Red Arse says:

Micky,

Well, I, for two, am really livid that you are absolutely livid about Bernard.

He is a wonderful boy and when he said that you look like a teapot with your hand on your hip, there was no reason to lift the other one as if it was a spout!!

By the way, take no notice of Rocky — even his coffee is camp!!

74. Talking of PHW’s media outlet of choice(Daily Star) they reckon Madrid have an £85m bid for monkey boy ready.

If it were true that would certainly lighten the mood of this transfer window ho ho ho.

75. Red Arse says:

Rocky,

How unkind can you get?

You know how difficult I find keeping schtum, and your unfortunate comment “I hope they are of the quality of recent signings like Santi, Pod and the BFG” only makes my schtuminess even more difficult to maintain, with 2/3rds of that statement involuntarily forcing my lips into a rictus of outright indignation.

Wicked boy!!

76. Red Arse says:

CharyB, not sure you have the hang of Raspers thinking regarding the Daily Star.

He thinks anything originating from that source is bollix, so taking delight in a rumour regarding that handsome Bale person, who’s career is refulgent with promise, will vex our man, at the very least!!

77. It probably is “bollix” Redders, but at this stage I’ll take anything !

Come off it lads, who cares about somee geezer called Bernard.

Bernandinio or Bernadette (nice), i could understand.

He sounds like the neighbour that pesters whilst washing your car with talk of garden sheds or the price of fish.

Good stuff Rocky

Cesc is the past. Hes a lovely lad and i wish him well, but we have Jack and Ox both capable of taking that role. If he goes to Man Utd, so be it, wont bother me.

79. evonne says:

that’s better Rocky, I hate it when we disagree :)

I must admit to listening to the Barca rent boy, who is certain that Cesc is going nowhere. So I am pretty relaxed about the ManU rumour. However, if there was any substance to this filthy gossip, I would probably resign myself to seeing Cesc untied with with the dutch traitor.

Mind you, I could just paint black sock on the signed picture I have and flog it to the Mancs :) as if.

Welcome back Rasp !

Am I alone in thinking there’s an eerie silence. No background noise.

What I mean, is that although not a big cricket or bicycling fan, we’ve hhad things “going on” during the void. Now, just silence. Spooky.

Still, there was never going to be a signing while Arsene was away, as he has to do the shirt holdy-up thing for the cameras with the new bboy.

So,when does Arsenal Force 1 touch down on home soil?

Actually, there’s a cracking idea. If we don’t buy particularly expensive players, and there’s cash left over, why don’t the club get a Company Jet. All done up and stuff. Class.

Perfect Micky :)

A big new signing, good in the air and fast as the wind :)

Ha Ha :-)

One of my more sensible and realistic ideas, Rocky.

Sorry, having delay problems trying to post comments.

84. Gooner In Exile says:

Evening all, with regard to Cesc I think it would be a PR signing in the same way as Theo’s new contract was. The club couldn’t afford to let Theo walk on a free after letting RvP and Song go in the same summer, and Cesc and Nasri the summer before. Especially with all the “you should never let contracts run that far” bollocks in the media and on blogs.

Now here is Graham Hunters take on the Higuain deal.

Madrid: Do you want Higuain, about £25m will do it?
    Arsenal: lets talk to the player.
    Arsenal: ok Higuain is happy with the price
    Madrid: actually we want £30m, no £35m, no £40m
    Arsenal: forget it.

Quite rightly in my book.

Rasp, you have discussed the clubs use of spin on many occasions, and yet you choose to believe the words of the Spin Doctor in Chief Ivan Gazidis when it comes to squad changes/pay structures and transfer funds. I do have to wonder why?

Hi GiE, its not about me believing Ivan’s spin its about the rest of the football world. My point is that openly stating we have £70m to spend is not a means of keeping prices down when in negotiation ….. unless you’re really not bothered about buying the player in the first instance?

I’m often told the club sends out smoke screens to hide their real targets and yet we know with Nasri, Gervinho and Podolski, the deal was flagged up for months before it finally became fact.

My view is that we are doing a lot of posturing and the club don’t think it will be a disaster if we end the summer having bought only Sissoko and perhaps Ashley Willams …. neither of them the ‘big signings’ we were led to expect.

86. Gooner In Exile says:

Rasp, I don’t really believe there was ever an intention to spend the money, every year Gazidis says we have £xm available, this year was bigger than last, yet for the last two seasons it appears we have only been balancing the books. Why would I expect different this year, even knowing we have renegotiated commercial deals we also know they are not in effect yet. Also another summer of frozen ticket prices (still there has only been one club enforced price increase since moving to the Emirates) but increasing overheads.

Gazidis comments to the AST are I believe designed to placate them.

As I always ask, if the club wants to spend big to win trophies why insist Wenger has a job as long as he wants it if he is not spending to achieve their objectives?

As you say and as I said at the time saying we have money to spend is not good business sense if clubs think you are being tight.

I will say that Rob copied a very good piece about transfer timings by arsenalvision….only one club does business earlier than us historically….ManUre.

87. evonne says:

higuain sold to Milan for £37m
    Oh well, we have a bigger fish to fry.

That’s interesting GiE, I wonder how many on here thought that all the talk about having money to spend and bringing in a top player was bull? Maybe we should have a poll? :P

I dared to believe for a while when our interest in Higuain was mooted – now I feel like a fool for being so naive.

Didn’t AW say we could afford Rooney’s wages? All of our ‘reported’ targets have been snapped up by other clubs who are prepared to pay more.

We have a deserved reputation as penny pinchers in the transfer market and while that persists we will never attract top players even if we genuinely want to.

Have we bought Sissoko? Which one?

90. Gooner In Exile says:

Rasp I don’t know if your naive, but being one of the more pessimistic regarding our spending I’m surprised you took it in good faith.

I decided long ago I have zero control over it so why not just wait and see. I’m certainly not going to be upset ifwe don’t sign a player the media say is virtually done deal, because the media fire so many rumours out there some hit by chance.

I’m still undecided whether our bid to Liverpool made public by Ayre actually exists or whether Ayre is using press speculation to either:

A) make Liverpool look strong to their fans if they don’t sell
    B) force Madrid to up their bid

Moyes is behaving very in ManUre like with his open bidding for Cesc, is there something going on in the background that makes Cesc deal a cover story, or are United trying to tempt others to join by chasing a big name?

91. Gooner In Exile says:

David Villa was all but a Spud until he joined Atletico Madrid.

It’s so much easier to simply ignore all of the idle speculation and simply check Arsenal.com each morning, really gents …………

93. neamman says:

A Spurs fan dies on match day and goes to heaven in his white top. He knocks on the old pearly gates and out walks St. Peter.
    “Hello mate” says St. Peter, “I’m sorry, no Spurs fans in heaven.”
    “What ?” exclaims the man, astonished.
    “You heard, no Spurs fans.”
    “But, but, but, I’ve been a good man”, replies the Spurs supporter.
    “Oh really”, says St. Peter. “What have you done, then ?”
    “Well” said the guy, “Three weeks before I died, I gave 10 pounds to the starving children in Africa”.
    “Oh” says St.Peter. “anything else?”
    “Well, 2 weeks before I died I also gave 10 pounds to the homeless.”
    “Hmmm. Anything else?”
    “Yeah. A week before I died I gave 10 pounds to the Albanian orphans.”
    “Okay”, said St. Peter, “You wait here a minute while I have a word with the governor.”
    Ten minutes pass before St. Peter returns. He looks the bloke in the eye and says, “I’ve had a word with God and he agrees with me.
    Here’s your thirty quid back, now fuck off”.

Originally a joke on Celtic but with a few changes..it does double duty!! :>)

Well Mr Source, let me think.

I didn’t start it about four years ago, and designed the top banner myself which I change sometimes when the boys done well. Or perhaps I didn’t do that either. Can’t remember.

What I wouldn’t do if I weren’t you is, not to contact Arsenal Nuts email address above and talk to Peaches or Rasp.

Shit, I promised a post. Kettle on.

97. evonne says:

ok GiE, Ayre is the MD at Pool
    do you know all the names in PL?

I’d say we did bid for Suarez, Wenger never denied it. But perhaps it was a smokescreen to get another player? who knows

Barca turned down the £30m bid for Cesc from Moyes. Had it been SAF, Cesc would be on a plane for a medical this week. Beginning of the end for Man bloody U :)

Evonne,

Who knows what’s actually going on? I’ve always thought Suarez would be a fairly un-Arsene type of character to sign, but I reckon he’s pretty much nailed on to go to RM right now anyway.

My gut feeling is that we will sign two players, and probably in the £15m each kind of bracket.

Morning

100. evonne says:

Aaron and the Muppets know how to do interviews :) lovely boys

Peaches – take a look at Ramsey’s comb over

Great vids and amazing underwater pics.

Evonne,

Peaches as well on the comb over thing?

You do know what’s going to happen don’t you. First meet at The Tavern, and every single hot blooded male will be sporting the most pathetic attempt at the side parting :-)

According to reports, Arsene Wenger and his team of multi-million pound negotiators are preparing a bid for PSG’s Maximilien de Robespierre.
    Robespierre has been on the North London giant’s radar since 1792 and Wenger believes he could be key in leading the revolution at the Emirates.

(source: Touchline Talk)

104. evonne says:

ooohhhh….don’t get me exicited Micky!!! I am already buzzing having paid for the Ems Cup tickets

Micky,
    You’d look ace with a side parting.

Did you see some of the comments under the surfer photos? :)

wellmax: why dem tie her leg na?

2chains: So d surfboard duznt drift away from the surfers in the ocean.

pofolo: so that when they fall into the water, their skate board no go “run” leave dem.
    its just for them no to lose the board when the wave subsides them.

My hair has never once done what it was told

Now what could Micky’s post be about? Hmmmmmmm.

Truffle hunting with porkers.

No, I didn’t read those gems :-)

My post is a shambles. Keep thinking that if I go away something good will happen to it.

Chas
    I’m trying, through my own stats, to justify my personal transfer targets, and however I work the numbers, the answer is not what I wanted to see :-(

Our spending is done, Micky.
    How else would Dick, Arsene and Ivan get their bonuses otherwise?

Surfing the transfer market.

The pain of sleeping on a bed of smashed terracotta – (Arsenal’s summer transfer window exposed).

Inflammable rumours and asbestos inner garments.

The day I smoked a lobster (but didn’t inhale).

Thongs, lycra and chest advertising.

Nice bottom turn. :)

Ha ha Chas,
    I’d agree that we’ve pretty much nailed this transfer window so far :-)

Peaches
    Post sent

No-one answered my question yesterday. When do the team get back from the Far East ie when can Arsene do a photo shoot with a new signing?

Oooo, how exciting :-)

Oh, what a relief. The Duke and Duchess have a had a boy. Thank the Lordy for that. Hope they call him Steve.

GiE @ 12:56

Thanks for the response. It comes to something when we supporters have to accept that the club is deceiving us in an attempt to placate fans …. this plan obviously backfires when we do not bring in the quality of player promised.

It appears our club’s spin has very little to do with getting the best deal on a new player as we are simply posturing to give the impression of trying to buy said player.

The ludicrous thing is that the club still expects others to be fooled by such behaviour when everybody recognises Arsenal for what it is – a well run business that has no intention of shelling out on top stars and that is content to achieve its financial goals.

Hi Rasp

With my serious hat on, I would say that the club have made unusually loud noises this time about being able to pay top whack wages, and that the transfer kitty is. for once, bulging.

I would agree that they have opened themselves up to criticism this time if quality signings are not made.

As I said earlier, I fully expect two signings. There does appear a new direction in terms of lightening the wage bill in certain areas and some offloading, which looks to like preparation for change to me.

Hard to get too upset while the window has so long to go, especially as Arsene has been away.

But there will rightly be judgement come the end of business.

Thanks Micky, just adding some pics to your post.

Need posts for this week please after today.

Rasp

I’m worried about you, as I sense you are like a coiled spring.

You need some tension relief. I’ll have a think :-)

Thanks Micky, it is now apparent that if we sign any new players they will not be ‘top notch’ as we are not prepared to pay the price, so the club’s assertion that we can afford such players is the usual bollix.

I find our posturing of feigning interest in players we clearly will not pay the price for quite pathetic.

128. Gooner In Exile says:

I know all fans are different but for me watching Gedion Zelalem develop will give as much joy as watching a £25m player signed do what we all know he can do, and definitely more fun than watching the latter flop.

I’ve had enough Micky. We’ve had this debate for years now and always had the excuse of playing for the stadium and the so-called ‘deadwood players’ using up the budget.

This time the club has chosen to declare that we can compete for the best players …. and then they proceed in the same lame manner as every transfer window.

130. New Post …………………..

131. Gooner In Exile says:

Rasp the club hasn’t feigned interest, the papers (some may be in the know) have got the fans got and bothered.

Unless anyone is quoted from the club saying “we’ve made a bid for x” it is all rumour.

Hi GiE, Zelalem is a fantastic prospect, but nowhere near ready for the EPL yet. He plays some fantastic passes in that clip but also gives the ball away in dangerous areas. He’s one for the future, for sure.

GiE, how can you dismiss everything so readily. Of course there is a lot of bull, but also some truth. The fact is we have tracked Jovetic and we did want to sign Higuain. I don’t understand your assertion that we should only listen to what the club says when you and I have already agreed the club deliberately misleads with its PR.

134. Red Arse says:

That was a Rocky Special presentation.