Do we need Wanyama?

Arteta, Wilshere, Cazorla,Ramsey, Rosicky, Frimpong, Coquelin, Oxlade – Chamberlain, Eisfeld. Everyone a midfield player whom I would be happy to see play in most games. Yet ask most fans what is missing and they would say a muscular defensive shield – someone we have lacked since Gilberto Silva.

Unknown-1

But do we really need this player?

The performance of Arteta last season was superb; he kept the team going forward, he worked tirelessly to cut out danger and in tandem with Ramsey proved we can hold onto a one goal lead. The final few games when the defence ensured our progress to 4th showed we can be effective with Ramsey and Mikel working in tandem.

Coquelin and Frimpong? Reports from the trenches are that Frimpong ‘s injuries will severely hamper his aggressive style of play and I expect him to move on following rehab. Coquelin is difficult because I see a quality player in this fellow. He has energy, an eye for a pass and technique. What he lacks is tactical awareness but that can be taught and Francis is still young. Sadly, I expect him to ask for a transfer, though perhaps he is not good enough to become a first choice DM.

The attacking possibilities are so good there is no need for an addition – probably a cull is in order!

Eisfeld is an interesting player who appears to have a big future ahead of him, but will he get any first team chances and if not will he say “Thanks but no thanks”, as he sees a future on the bench.

Who gets dropped if we do sign a quality DM? Ramsey? Arteta? Don’t talk to me about rotation because a settled team is an essential in my eyes and a big money DM will insist upon a first team place.

I have no idea what Mr Wenger will do in summer, nor how he will pick his midfield next season. I cannot tell you who would be my midfield 3 or 4 and would like to hear your opinions.

109 Responses to Do we need Wanyama?

1. SharkeySuresGhost says:

Hello mi old chums

I’m as confused as you Randy. I do like the look of Fellaini…well not his actual ‘look’ if you know what I mean, but his playing style. His aggressive and sometimes spikey nature, plus his aerial ability and eye for a goal.

I do hope we sign him, and let everything else sort itself out, with little or no concern about ‘killing players’

Ps. Losing Coquelin would be a real shame. I love his style of play. Good technique, great engine, aggressive and determined. Some team is going to get a very good player if we let him go

2. charybdis1966 says:

Morning all, good question Big Randy, but my biggest qualms about Wanyama are that he’s only been playing in a pub league(the Sweaty’s PL) and nbeing kenyan wil we lose him for half a season every other year, assuming Kenya qualify for the ACN ?

Given the choice I’d go for the Screetch(from Saved by the Bell) look alike from the Toffees.

Of course you chaps are right. Given the choice between a lad who has been unchallenged in the pub league’s and The Man with the Microphone Head (henceforth known as TMWTMH) Fellaini wins every time.

But …. and here is the rub, do you think AW will stump up the €10+m difference between them?

4. Onono monic says:

Physicaly arteta is not a natural DM he was just push dia n he did a good job so also ramsey we need a physical n agile DM dat can cover 4 our defence

5. onyekwere says:

wlshir, rmnsy, artt, rcsky

6. Lobster says:

Not sure about Wanyama, but I think we do need a “Gilberto”. I have a feeling we will be going back to the usual Wengerball next season, which utilises both fullbacks for width and atleast one of the pivot midfielders to attack. But the recent improvement in defence won’t go unnoticed especially with our defenders publicly atrributing it to the protection they get from the midfielders. So I think instead of having Arteta play this role, a more suitable, natural replacement is needed. We can now afford to fight for the best players in every position, so why not do it

7. gunners78 says:

Morning all. I think the combination on Ramsey and Arteta along with BFG and Kos proved that our defense is solid. I also think that Tommy V is better suited at a DM roll than at CB.

8. sleepinggiant says:

Put simply, Wanyama is the type of player we have been signing over the past few years. We are now on a completely different level than we were. We need to be aiming much higher. How can anyone countenance going back to the levels of the past few years.

If we don’t, it would quite simply be the equivalent of Chelsea continuing to buy the Mark Stein’s of the world instead of Drogba when Abramovich arrived. Where would they be now, do you think, had they not started to buy at the level they could afford. Given teh already massive wealth of our club, the levels of our new funding really are that significant. Time to face reality. What was the point of sacrificing Cesc, RVP, Nasri, Adebayor etc etc etc to bridge the gap until these new deals came in if we are not going to take advantage of the wealth now that it is here.

This really is the moment when the powers at our club have to decide if they want to join the top table. This is nothing against Waynama. He may turn into the worlds best midfielder, and if our manager believes he is the best DM on earth, we should buy him. But we know this is not the case.

There has been so much stagnation at our club in the past 8 years its not true. And worse, there has been so much dull-eyed nodding acquiescence to the status quo, as if the club must always be correct in every decision they make, however much the evidence said otherwise. But this is our first moment of real strength since we got planning permission for our new money-machine of a stadium. If we do not step up this summer, I cannot see a future for this club, except as the also-ran that our current regime seems to think is suitable for a club that used to be known as ‘mighty’ Arsenal. This is our moment, it really is. It is nothing short of betrayal if we do not take it. I sadly doubt the fortitude of the people who run our club and their ability to seize this moment. (Im not an anti-Arsene, by the way, I will be the happiest person on earth to admit I was wrong if Fellaini/Gundogen, Fabregas and Higuain roll up at the club this summer, and I will be putting money on ‘em to finish top 2 if that happen. So go and make it happen gents)

9. Mayor says:

Arsenal no need toget Wanyama. If arsenal want to get DM player like Falleni or nigeria player from inter miler Joel Obi.

10. Weedz says:

I think VW or, indeed, MF would keep us going forward.
    Neither player is just a DMF. Both can multi-task.
    I think Mikel did a great job last season, but at 31yrs, now is the time to up-grade.

11. Kharadonha says:

Good day Gooners,

Firstly, Arteta is not a DM if you all know what I mean. At times he was found wanting not knowing what he was doing. if you look at the game against Fulham he gave away balls to the opposition every now and then and does not release the ball at the back in time. The goals conceded in that game was his fault and apart from that he played well under the circumsances. Wanyama is what we need and those who talk about not tested, think again this lad was brilliant against Juventus & Barcelona. This is the player who is going to give freedom to our attacking players and relief to our back 4 as he’ll protect them. Football has changed but certain position will never change, so AW please get me this boy and Higuain if we mean business next season.

I thank my fellow Gooners and please lets support the to win the 14 EPL title. This is for No14. Other players can always get a chance to shine but we all know that not all of them can play some will be benched and some will be frustrated by that. Eisfeld time will come and he’ll grab it with both hands.

12. Happy says:

Coquilin is as good as Wanyama. Arsenal need a combative midfielder alongside Arteta. Diaby started very well last season and his injury opened a big hole in the midfield. This is the reason we fans want Fellain and Ramsey is an automatic choice to give way. Keep frimpong and Coquilin for two seasons to come. They need to be used sparingly in less competive games.

13. ssenjiri bashir says:

Pliz wenger buy for us atleast one star player like benzema

14. top gun says:

Ok i dont understand where all the wanyama hype is coming from u probably havent watched him but according to celtic fans he’s clumsy,slow,lazy dont we have enough of this arsh,bent,gerv.verm just because he played ok against barcelona doesnt make him world class.

Hurrah! Sniffer Norris (aka Arsene) is back :)
    How you doing Sniffer?

Interesting Post BR
    I love some of the comments from people who are certain that AW should by this player or that player. It always gives me a chuckle.

Also some other funny comments, like that it’s time for an upgrade on Arteta. If the Arsenal players were polled for their choice of their own player of the season this year I have little doubt that they would choose Mikel. He had an amazing season – even if most of his work was unspectacular.

I’ve watched some Youtube compilations of Wanyama (so I am an expert on him now :) ). I actually liked what I saw… But then again, in a Youtube compilation Barndoor looks like the best striker in the world.

Could all visitors please take time to say hello to Sniffer Norris, who posted as “Arsene” at 11.54.

Things haven’t been easy for Sniffer lately and I’m sure he would appreciate some love.

(I’m writing this from the airport, en route to Skegness).

Ey up, Sniffer. How’s the right old boiler? All you deserve? Thought so.

It must be especially difficult trying to please her with that.

Raddy saves the day!
    We don’t need another midfielder.
    We need a guaranteed 50 goals a season striker. :)

21. Lobster says:

Arsene, u r one of the worst trollz to ever comment on this blog

22. charybdis1966 says:

Hiya Sniffer, how’s it hanging ?

23. Arsene says:

Who said this? “If Arsene Wenger came to us saying: ‘I want this guy and he’s worth £30million, can i buy him?’, the answer would be yes. Absolutely yes.”
    Who said this Ivan Gazidis?. In fact it was the late Danny Fizsman, in 2008.
    Forget all this foolishness about Wenger only now having decent money to s

Spot on, Sniffer! Couldn’t have put it better meself.

25. Bryan says:

I don’t actually understand why Le Coq has not played more, for me he is better as a DM than Arteta & definitely Ramsey.
    Arteta has played well but I think he is wasted in DM position & think we need a bigger stronger player there.
    I would like us to sign Fellaini more than any other player this year & I would play him in DM position. He has the added bonus of being able to play in other positions too.
    I do wish we would do our business quickly so we don’t miss out as usual.
    If we could bring in Fellaini, Higuain & Begovic I would be extremely happy, won’t hold my breath though ;-)

26. Roland C Rozario says:

The majority bloggers appear clamouring for a ‘purchase’ a good and credible purchase!
    Wenger need at least to show intent, if any, to get into the transfer market and ‘capture’ the ideal player to prove that Arsenal means business in the next season.
    That’s the bottom line …. Arsenal must be seen to be serious contenders next season!!
    That’s all the clamouring is basically!

27. Bryan says:

Arsene
    I can’t agree with your statement at all
    “Gilberto Silva was one of the worst players ever to wear an Arsenal shirt.”
    For me he was one of the most underated players we have had, done a fantastic job & I thought Wenger let him go to early & we missed him for a long time afterwards.
    Quality professional too, never moaned when wasn’t in the team & only says good things about Arsenal when he’s quoted

28. Bryan says:

or did you mean Gervinho was one of the worst players ever to wear an Arsenal shirt because that I would agree with ;-)

29. sunnypa de gooners says:

all of them have been playing for arsenal sinse all these year without any major honour arsenal and the fans want and need wanyama verywell.let wanyama be at defensive midfield and throw arteta to the midfield and buy rooney with him plus fellaini we arsenal fans worldwide want all this three players that is all

30. Arsene says:

We won 2 Doubles without Gilberto Silva, although to be fair he did have an unerring ability to win fouls whilst losing possession of the ball.

31. Shard says:

Just got back from a nice walk in hampstead heath. Will go out again in the evening for another walk and few pints. Any suggestions of bars and which beers to try?

As for wanyama. I haven’t seen him play except against jjuventus. I dont know if he’s good or great or useless. I’m wary of buying africans unless they are a special talent because of the Acn.
    I do think we need another midfielder to ‘replace’ Diaby and be able to spell Arteta. Rosicky and Wilshere have had their injury problems s well. So a defensive minded midfielder will.be welcome. Preferably one who.can also play at CB. Wanyama and Capoue would seem to fit the bill but let’s see.

32. Manthan says:

BR,

No doubt Arteta was very impressive last year but he is not getting any younger he is already 30 +. We want some one who is very strong physically… I think Wanyama will be a good prospect and I have heard Capoue name too though i didn’t see him playing but if we sign wanyama i will be more then happy.

Bryan,

Gervinho, one of our worst players?

Most certainly not, I can list many who were a lot worse.
    He needs to improve to become a valued player but he is nowhere near our worst.

I completely agree with you on Gilberto, a very good and sadly underrated player, who is/was a little like Arteta, in as much as their real contribution to the team is/was not recognized until they are not in the squad.

34. Bryan says:

GunnerN5
    No not the worse but one of the worse in my opinion, he has been totally useless since we got him, I really don’t rate him at all.
    probably one of the worse ivory coast players I have seen.
    If we can sell him, I think it would be best for both parties

Arsene. You really are a peculiar man/boy/girl/troll.

Manthan. I agree that Arteta is getting on in age but his position doesn’t require him to have Ramsey-esque levels of energy. As long as he sits in front of the defence and uses his knowledge and experience he can play there for at least two more seasons.

Problems would arise when he gets injured especially of Coquellin leaves. That said, Ox looked very comfortable when he replaced Arteta.

RL. Is that Skegness in Tuscany, just south of Luca?

37. Gooner In Exile says:

Shard be careful on the Heath in the evening if you’re not that way inclined ;)

Raddy thanks for the post, for me the question that needs to be asked is what is a DM or more importantly what do we want our DM to do?

If we just want a brick outhouse to destroy opposition attacks then we are going to be playing with less men in possession. Looking at last seasons title winners who was their DM? Silva was not a destroyer he was an intelligent reader of the game as is Arteta, some people complain that Wenger let Silva go too early but now worry Arteta is too old.

Can anyone name me the enforcer in Dortmunds or Munichs team? By an enforcer I mean like De Jong?

For me we need a desire throughout the team to win the ball back by pressing intelligently and competing for 50:50s.

We don’t need a 6ft 4 enforcer just like the other top clubs in Europe we need intelligent and hungry players.

38. Trevor says:

We need Wanyama a strong defensive midfield to allow attackes more option to go foward and give defenders to fall back easier.

39. Gooner In Exile says:

“GunnerN5 says:
    June 14, 2013 at 3:00 pm (Edit)
    Bryan,

Gervinho, one of our worst players?

Most certainly not, I can list many who were a lot worse.”

That’s next summer sorted :D

Thanks Raddy, i have no idea either. In fact, ive never heard of this Waynema geezer, he sounds a bit rubbish if you ask me.

i dont get involved in transfer speculation, bad for the hair and complexion. ive noticed that those who scream for transfers are rather ruddy looking and have limp hair, thats not for me.

Shard Baby, if your still at the Heath at around 2 in the morning, see you there. hahaha

41. Gooner In Exile says:

Peaches take a look at the posts in drafts there should be a post for Saturday with a vote for this weeks defenders. I’m pretty sure I’ve dated it as such.

GIE;

And, thank you, I was worried about having to figure out what to do in the summer of 2014.

But seriously if anybody has some thoughts on next summers postings/articles I would gladly volunteer to be a collaborator.

43. Shard says:

I’m getting the sense that the Heath has some sort of a reputation :)

I didn’t plan on going there again this evening anyway. I was thinking going somewhere near highbury if no one is free to meet anywhere else.

Shard,
    It’s where George Michael (another of TMHT’s cousins) discovered what he could do with his Careless Wispa.

45. Shard says:

Chas,

Careless whispa did have some swinging sax :)

Raddy,

With our penchant for attacking play we most definitely need an “invisible Wall” type of defender. But I would go even further and say that we need a “Mop Up” man who can quickly cut out breakaways like the ones that gifted Spurs 2 goals – they rankle me to this day!

A hard nut would also suit me, we are lacking a steel central core and an opportunistic goal scorer.

Sounds like we need a 14 man team, GN5. :)

GIE. 3.24 I agree with you which is why we functioned well with Ox playing deeper alongside AR (at Newcastle). Rather team discipline and desire than an out and out DM.

Though such a player allows us to be more gung-ho in our attacking play.

Wonderful last article for the week fellas – what a great idea to see us through the summer.

Do you want me to insert a poll, and how many choices do you want available to each person for the vote?

Who are you referring to in your 4:11pm?

Some of our best players seem to go unnoticed= Gilberto

52. jnyc says:

Good points and questions RADDY. I would like a solid dm to share time with Arteta, Ramsey. And we need a top class striker, i like giroud as a back up. We should be able to afford these.

Thank you Raddy.

Great to have a sniff (no apologies Norris) of transfer chatter.

I suspect you were merely trying to garner votes from the more vacuous and less cerebral voter, and for that, I am your man :-)

Don’t like Wagayama as he sounds like a stupid sushi fast food outlet.

With all the games we play, I don’t agree about your non rotation policy, and despite being a massive Arteta fan, I think a Fellaini would be a great addition (especially given that he’s been going on about his preferred role as a defensive midfielder.

Although I entered the transfer market sniffing about for both a striker and a DM, reading the Chas comment about a 50+ goal machine makes me think I need sniff about no longer (nothing to do with the fact that I’m married to an absolute scorcher, not a boiler) and that one of the two might actually be enough.

Sir Chips Keswick appointed chairman

Arsenal Football Club has announced that Sir Chips Keswick has been appointed chairman.

It follows the decision by Peter Hill-Wood to stand down from the board for health reasons. Mr Hill-Wood, who has been Arsenal chairman since 1982, is recovering after a heart attack last year.

I am greatly honoured to have been appointed chairman… This is one of the great clubs in the game, recognised and loved by millions

Mr Hill-Wood’s grandfather, Sir Samuel, and father, Denis, were the Club’s previous chairmen in a period stretching back to 1927.

Mr Hill-Wood, 77, said: “This has been a difficult decision as Arsenal Football Club has been a huge part of my life. Although I am feeling better I feel this is the right time for me to stand down. I would like to thank our majority owner, Stan Kroenke, for the respectful and dignified way he has handled this and I know Sir Chips is the right person to take the Club forward.”

Mr Hill-Wood joined the board in 1962 when his father became chairman. Since then he has been at the heart of all the Club’s major decisions, including the move from Highbury to Emirates Stadium.

Arsenal’s majority owner Mr Kroenke said: “Peter has been a wonderful custodian of this Club. He has been a member of the Arsenal board for 51 years and his vision and steadfastness have been central to the successes of this great Club over that time. Peter will be sorely missed but we will ensure we recognise his many contributions to the Club in an appropriate way.”

A lifelong fan, Sir Chips, 73, has been on the Arsenal board since 2005. He is the former chairman of Hambros Bank and a director of the Bank of England. In his role as chairman, Sir Chips will work directly with Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis on the Club’s football and business ambitions.

This has been a difficult decision as Arsenal has been a huge part of my life. Although I am feeling better I feel this is the right time for me to stand down
    Peter Hill-Wood
    Mr Kroenke said: “I am delighted that Sir Chips has agreed to become chairman. He has a well respected track record in business and he will provide further direction and support in our ambition to compete at the top of the game here and in Europe and to win trophies.”

Sir Chips said of his appointment: “Firstly, I am sad to see Peter standing down due to his health and we all hope he continues well in his recovery. The Hill-Wood family has made an extraordinary contribution to Arsenal over many decades. They have been central to the Club’s many achievements during this time.

“I am greatly honoured to have been appointed chairman of Arsenal Football Club. This is one of the great clubs in the game, recognised and loved by millions. I am looking forward to leading the Club to future

Thanks GN5

Sad to see the end of such a long family connection, but anyone called Sir Chips has to be a damn good egg :-)

Plus, as Director of The Bank of England, my thinking says he has a set of keys, so could easily pop in of a weekend and hit the print button.

56. Ian UreFace says:

Peter Storey ……effing legend !……Landlord of a villainous pub…..arrested for smuggling pornography…dodgy car deals…running a brothel…counterfeit gold coins and he wasn`t a bad footballer either !. Ledge !

IUF,

Quite a Storey eh!

Just had an email from Arsenal FC thanking me for renewing my membership. Nice.

Nice, as it didn’t cost me a penny, because I haven’t done it yet :-)

Ian

Just imagine if Storey had teamed up the Sir Chips key ring :-)

60. Ian Ure Face says:

Talk about two contrasting sides of an Arsenal coin or from one extreme to another….Arsenal chairman Sir Chips the Bank of England director and Arsenal Skulduggery Ledge… Peter Storey !. I know who I`ve got more in common with !. I`d buy Storey a drink with the money I stole from Chips !. hahaha

Sir Chips said on his appointment,
    “If it wasn’t for those meddling kids at the AST, we would have gotten away with it”

Micky,
    Perhaps you don’t have to if it’s already been renewed according to their records.

Sir Chip’s latest video.
    Beware, he is a bad bwoy.

Ooops, hearing that made me want to listen to some Snoop Dogg.
    Beware bad language.

65. Gooner In Exile says:

Rasp vote post for tomorrow has been fleshed out a bit.

66. Gooner In Exile says:

Micky sure you’re not on DD? Mine auto renewed.

GiE

Could be a possibility :-(

Shame really, as I wasn’t going to renew unless they bought someone reassuringly expensive :-)

I know I wasn’t paying attention at the time, just sitting at the back flicking people in front’s ears and stuff, but how can we be voting today when we’re only up to 1975?

I haven’t been listening either.
    I presume we’re voting on Defenders part one.

70. Gooner In Exile says:

Indeed we are lads.

The idea being a spread across the eras in our squad…..don’t you just hate polls that are all about current players told those who have played in last ten years?

Chas
    I bet you failed Scripture O Level as well, didn’t you :-)

GiE

Isn’t that a bit “equal opportunities” and “positive discrimination” stuff as well as agesist?

I guess that should have been “eraist”!

74. Gooner In Exile says:

:D maybe but wouldn’t you hate our defenders to be:

Bould
    Adams
    Dixon
    Winterburn
    Cole
    Lauren
    Keown
    Rice

Throw in Ian Wright and I’d be quite happy :-)

Because I’m sure I won’t be alone in voting, in part, from the heart as well as the head, it has been fascinating reading about these guys and weighting my vote on the grounds of character as well as stats.

For example, I can state right now, that Wright and Bergkamp will be my front two :-)

Tragically Evonne, the best LB we’ve ever had, which is why I was hoping Wright could have been crowbarred in :-)

I think the toughest single position is RB.

79. the worst traitor and bad trend setter, Micky. All his previous achievements have been wiped out the moment he almost crashed his car at the mention of £55k.

We should remove your comment @8:09, GN5 and GiE would be wasting their time if we all had your poor attitude

80. did you realise that it is almost a month since the last game of the season?? I never thought I could survive that long

My “poor attitude” ROLF

82. you can ROLF all you want, but it’s the fact :)

BTW, our Oz mailed me yesterday. He is busy writing his thesis, but will be back with us soon. I was relieved he didn’t go to heaven, as for what I know God is not a Gunner

Evonne
    So you are not voting someone on the grounds of character rather than solely footbally stuff?
    Errr….

84. of course not Micky, for me the looks are most important. Hence Dan Lewis was the best keeper in my books :)

Ahhhh, that’s better.

You are nearly as shallow as I am :-)

Being left-footed is more glamorous.
    Full back is the least attractive of all positions.
    Ergo right full back is the toughest position.

Dani Alves is about the only right back I can think of who goes against this theory.
    Any more?

Gary Neville
    Phil Neale
    Pat Rice

You couldn’t really call Carlos Alberto a full back, could you.

Actually, there’s scope for a Cool X1

90. nearly :)

CB can become most glam if he has a photos taken with his pants down

They were the coolest side of all time. Never, never get bored of watching them.

Anyone for Dennis?

93. Norfolk Gooner says:

Good morning to you all.

Arsenal News this morning!!

Peter Hill-Wood is to stand down as Arsenal Chairman following his heart attack last year, he will be replaced by Sir Chips Keswick.

I personally would like to thank Peter Hill-Wood for his service to the club and wish him a long and healthy retirement.

Norfolk
    Oh do keep up.
    May I refer you to the evidence given by my learned colleague, GN5, at 5:37pm.

Morning all.

Chips Keswick, Stan Kroenke and Alisher Usmanov.Couldn’t get three more different personalities :)

We have bid for a current PL striker and awaiting if the bid will be accepted.

96. an Etonian and a Sir , well well, we do have class

Kelsey

Is he the sort that needs to go off to Fat Camps occasionally? :-)

Torres? :-)

no and yes Micky :)

kelsey,

Good to see you back on AA and hope things are improving.

Striker? Hope it isn’t Demba Ba – we don’t need a Chelsea reject. Suarez would be good.

Torres would be an odd signing.. If he isn’t good enough for the Chavs he isn’t good enough for us.

But if he does sign – he is one of the world’s best strikers and a perfect fit ;-)

Thanks Raddy, slowly improving but my daughter has an op next week.

Suarez purely on football skils would be fantastic but we can’t afford him and my gut feeling is that he will finish up out of England as he is a huge liability as well as a good footballer

I always wanted Torres before he went to Liverpool and Chelsea would sell him at a discount and Wenger has made a bid

“But if he does sign – he is one of the world’s best strikers and a perfect fit” ROLF, my way of thinking about Fatso.

Now, Torres. He would be sensational. His end of season form was very good, and would be the perfect foil to Ollie.

Morning all …..