Cesc: “Only Arsenal For Me”

We are used to reading rubbish in the silly season, but one story this summer really takes the biscuit.

I’m sure I wasn’t the only one to guffaw over my cornflakes when I read the “Fabregas to Manchester United” stories that are doing the rounds.

At this time of year most transfer-related stories smell of fabrication and are written purely to fill column inches or garner online hits. But even in such company, the Cesc-to-Manchester-United fantasy really does stink the place out.

Before I explain why, let’s just remind ourselves of this quote from Cesc himself, shortly after he departed for Barcelona: “Apart from Arsenal and Barcelona, I don’t see myself playing anywhere else. I will definitely be going back (to Arsenal) whenever I have time to watch games and to see the guys… and if there is one place to go back to (to play), it is Arsenal for sure.”

Cesc was abundantly clear then that he would only return to the Premier League if it was to play for Arsenal.

Of course you might say (and with some justification): “Why should we believe the words of footballers? They are always quick to spout loyalty to a club then equally quick to demonstrate loyalty only to their wallet.”

It was about 18 months ago when Cesc gave the interview from which I have quoted and yes, it’s possible he could have changed his mind since then.

But – unlike Brave Sir Robin and the Fat French Benchwarmer – he is not a player known to be driven by greed (he even took a pay cut to join Barcelona).

However, there are other good reasons why Cesc to ManUre will never happen:

Firstly, why would a world class player join a club that is quite clearly at the high point of its “arc of success” and is about to start slipping down the far side?

United have been good enough to run away with the English Premier League this year, but no-one believes they are a great team. Meanwhile, in Europe, they have fallen even further behind the Continent’s powerhouses than they were when humiliated by Barcelona in the CL final in 2011.

Most perceptive observers believe that United over-achieved in the season just past and were helped by mismanagement and upheaval at Manchester City and Chelsea.

Secondly, one of the reasons for a top player joining United has long been the draw of old Mr Scarlet Proboscis himself: Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson (you didn’t know his parents gave him a middle name honouring a great Arsenal manager, did you?).

But Cyrano de Fergerac is no fool. He will always have wanted to bow out a champion and not a loser.

Having won the title this year, he undoubtedly surveyed the medium term prospects for his club and his playing staff and did not like what he saw.

He knows that, with their current squad, United will face a real struggle to hold on to their title next year and he also knows that without spending a hundred million pounds or more (which United cannot afford) they have no chance of competing with the likes of Real Madrid, Barcelona and Bayern Munich.

Quite sensibly, he celebrated the title win and exited stage left.

So now any superstar thinking of joining the red half of Manchester has to consider the fact that they will be playing not for the most decorated and successful EPL manager of the last half century. Instead they will be lining up under some bloke from The Simpsons.

The idea of Cesc Fabregas agreeing to play under David Moyes is simply laughable.

Thirdly, if Cesc does want to return to the EPL and if, for some reason, he reneges on his assurance that he would return only to Arsenal, his destination is far more likely to be Manchester City than Manchester United.

The Northern Oilers are likely to be entering the new season under the stewardship of the highly respected Manuel Pellegrini – a much more attractive proposition for international stars than David Moyes. And, of course, for City money is not an issue.

Finally, it was widely reported that we have first option on Cesc if he wants to leave Barca. Do you really think we would not snap him up again given the chance?

So, having (I hope) properly put to bed all the nonsense about Cesc-to-United, there is one Huddlestone in the Room that needs addressing: would we – the supporters – want Cesc to return to The Home of Football and step out again in the colours of the mighty Arsenal?

I have seen comments in Arsenal Arsenal recently with differing views on the subject.

For me it’s a no-brainer. Cesc Fabreagas is one of the greatest footballers ever to have played for us. If we can get him back he can only improve us. And his return at a time when we are leaving the period of austerity (during which, let’s remember, he was instrumental in helping keep us even vaguely competitive while the club spent NOTHING on net transfers) and about to enter a new era of competitiveness could be the spark that really pushes us to domestic and European glory.

Do you agree?

RockyLives

104 Responses to Cesc: “Only Arsenal For Me”

1. lance says:

i would hate to see cesc leave and see him play for another team. but the fact is we already have jack and santi as our playmakers. bringing cesc will just complicate things. 3 play makers and 1 ball does not make sense

2. wardy says:

You only have to look at his Twitter account when the gready badger decided he wanted to go to Manure, to know playing for any other PL side is out out of the question. his patience may have run out when he engineered his move to barca,but like Henry you know in your heart of hearts that he loves this club dearly

3. lance says:

we need a keeper , defensive midfielder and out and out striker to compete next season

4. Sid says:

I wouldnt say Jack is our play maker. Not yet anyway. Just because he has the number 10 shirt doesnt make it so! :) Saying that, I dont think we necessarily NEED Cesc, but if he did leave barca, it would be daft not to try and get him!

5. Sid says:

lance

I would add a CB and a tricky left winger too (George Galloway should do). But I am like Na$£i and the dutch twat; greedy.

6. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Best post I’ve read on here in ages, mind you its the only post I read on here in ages ;)

I hope you are right coz he would make an nice fit. Also it would cancel out robin van pussy & knuckle dragging nasri.

7. Callum says:

Any arsenal fan that wouldn’t take cesc back would be an absolute fool. He genuinely loves arsenal as a football club and would give everything he had whislt on the pitch as we have already seen. We need a captain, who better than cesc faberagas! I believe if we were to have him back he would be the man to lead us to victory as he has gained vast experience and knowledge player for Barca. He has won trophies ad played with the best footballers on this planet, he could only come back a better player. If we were to sing him I would be a VERY happy arsenal fan

8. Callum says:

Plus cesc’s original move to Barca was completely justified not like RVP or nasri. He had been are Barcelona fan literally from birth, watching them and playing for them as a boy. He’s friends and best friend piqué played for Barca and at the time they were the best club in the world. Why would you not go there if you were in his boots? He still loves arsenal dearly and I still have the upmost respect for him

9. SamEzem says:

Cesc broke my heart when he leftj his return is the only balm that can heal it. Please come shine again o star Fabs!!

10. babafemi mark says:

I really enjoy your post it’s an eye opener to all rubbish rumours going round out there. keep it up

Great post Rocky and you hit on an area that is causing me a real conundrum recently. I can see Lance’s point about us ending up overloaded with similar players if Cesc comes back, whereas he is exactly the player that Utd need now Scholes has retired, and I could see him going there worryingly.

If he wants to return to us I would take him back in a flash though and from a football perspective I think we can justify it. For me Cesc has now become that player who can play anywhere in the attacking area of the team and as his career progressed he moved from the slightly deeper playmaking role to being more an attacking goal-scorer. He can play the role that Jack and Santi do but also the inside forward role which gives us great versatility.

If we got Cesc back we wouldn’t to look at players like Jovetic then? We could say get Cesc and still add someone like Higuain, and if Gervinho is indeed leaving I feel we would have the complete attack with the strength in depth to challenge through a whole season.

12. JM says:

“would we – the supporters – want Cesc to return to The Home of Football and step out again in the colours of the mighty Arsenal?”

Not likely for the upcoming season 2013/2014.

We will have high chances come season 2014/2015 and beyond.

Points:
    (1) @Barcelona, Neymar is joining them. Cesc would relish at least a season playing with him.

(2) There will be the ongoing world cup qualifying games with the Spanish national team in season 2013/2014, leading to WC2014 in Brazil. Cesc would not like to jeopardise his spot with the national team, staying in Spain and Barcelona should be the logical choice.

(3) @ Arsenal, unofficial reports on the new shirt sponsorship tie-up between Arsenal & PUMA for season 2014/2015 and beyond (roughly for £30 million-a-year for 5 years, i.e. £150 million in total). Cesc endorses PUMA (alongside Arsenal players – Arteta, Giroud, Sagna and Rosicky.) “Arsenal and Cesc Fabregas” with PUMA sounds right.

13. magnum says:

I agree with Sid, we need a playmaker JW is not there yet. We need someone who can split the defense against quality opposition and it may not be long for other mid-table PL managers to figure out the way to keep Santi quiet.

I am also interested in these reports about going after Pogba. I think AW feels he missed out when he went to Utd and he is very highly thought of by no less than Mr Vieira himself. He may be young but has just completed 36 games for the Italian champions this season and scored 5 goals I believe.

15. Savage says:

I thought the reason Barca were considering selling Cesc (if that is to be believed) was to raise funds for new signings. Neymar is that new signing. It adds fuel to the fire.

16. trugun says:

I cannot believe some people would have to consider if Cesc should come back to The Arsenal, or that they don’t want him back, what a no brainer!!!! To those who say we have Santi and Jack wake up, this is Arsenal we have injuries every season so no problem where he would play plus there is still a lot Jack can learn from him. Cesc would fit back in no problem and is the type of player we need if we are to kick on next season.

17. Darren says:

I would welcome Cesc back. It would mean that we would probably play ramsey and arteta as defensive mids with Podolski/Walcott/Wilshere, Cazorla and Fab the 3 attacking mids which sounds wonderful. Podolski/Walcott/Giroud/new acquisition could play as the lone striker.

18. Red Arse says:

Congratulations on a very good Post, Rocky.

You remarked on the nature of transfer window speculation and pronounced it to be nonsense and you are, of course, correct.

Personally, I do not give too much credence to the Fabregas story, and have no unrealistic expectation about his supposed loyalty or love of Arsenal.

The driver for both player and club is a mutually beneficial arms length financial contract related to on field success, and failing that, one or both will want to terminate it by way of a transfer to another club, or to allow the contract to run down.

At heart, nearly all footballers care a great deal about winning trophies and earning as much money as possible in a relatively short career, and if the club they play for cannot provide them with both, it is entirely understandable they should want to move on.

Isn’t that what all the current first team players, with the exception of Jack, have done? They joined Arsenal from another club for glory and money? Nothing wrong with that.

Cynical? Not in my book. A realistic acceptance of human nature is more the case.

Cesc’s time with us is done, loyalty or otherwise, just as with Viera, Henry, RvP, and many more over the past years, and, no doubt, others will do so in the future.
    All of them have left Arsenal in the hope of furthering their careers and increasing their wealth, or have been dispensed with by the club.

Let’s be candid, there is little loyalty shown by the club to players either, unless it is in their self interest financially or from a playing aspect to do so.

19. sirence says:

How on earth does the winner in the play off get 110mil and the CL winner doesn’t get quater that amount wtf.? Plz someone explain to me

20. Ehn says:

Bring the Fabric back because the Gass is gone. Fab to ManUre ?I will be retirring myself from Football because I can’t stand Fab & Rubber play against my only team on planet Earth.

21. Red Arse says:

Sirence,

You may be taking the figures too literally. The money is the reward for getting into the Premier League next season.

Each team next season is likely to receive £55m from the new TV deal. If they should be relegated, they will receive a ‘parachute’ payment of £55m spread over 3 or 4 years to compensate them.

Hence the guesstimate of £110m.

They are also likely to improve their own commercial ‘pulling powere’ which could mean another £20m over 3 years.

Therefore, having put themselves into this position, the winners of this game could make “£110m + £20m over the next 3 years.

These are estimates, but probably pretty ball park figures.

22. Neamman says:

Please come back Cesc

23. MD MUSA says:

For me, we shld welcome him back 2 d emirat bcos his a great player dat can change game at a time due 2 his styl of play, so he is welcme 1ce again. Up gunners 4 real

Fine post. Cesc played just behind the striker in his early games for Barca and looked very comfortable.

I would be hugely surprised in Barca sell him but if they did, a return to AFC would make me a very happy man.

25. tugume faith says:

Cesc could be the only big re-enforcement to drive arsenal back to glory now that Fargerson is gone

26. IanRealGunner says:

Cesc has looked ordinary since he has returned to Barcelona. This is probably due to the role that he has been asked to play, which has stifled his natural attacking instincts. So on one hand, he must be happy that he is winning things at last, but is he happy in his day-to-day dealings on the pitch? Remember, he was an unused sub in the drubbing by Bayern (1st leg) so he is not exactly the first name on the team sheet.

As an aside, I would buy him back if Man Ure want him, just to spite them!!!

27. Sid says:

I’d be well happy if we bought Cesc back (more likely we just take him in lieu of the money barca still owe us!) for £20m, sign Cesar (on a free apparantly), Capuoe (excellent player who is dynamite in central midfield a la Gilberto and as an auxillary CB) for £10m and a top class striker….

Hmmm, now that one is trickier for me… I love Higuain, but he isnt blessed with exceptional pace, but is a great finisher/poacher, Jovetic is super skillful, but hardly prolific, then again Torres wasnt prolific in Spain, but was at Liverpool… Oh decisions, decisions… :)

28. ogban says:

Don’t trust what these players say. Things change very quickly in football; and they are all greedy badgers.

Excellent analysis Rocky and one I hope is spot-on :P

I would take Cesc back in a flash and I can see how Neymar joining Barca will further reduce his time on the pitch for them, but he is not a quitter and I would expect him to at least give it one more season before jumping ship.

30. finsbury says:

Monaco have signed:
    Moutinho £21m
    Rodriguez £38.5m
    Falcao £51m
    Coentram £15.3m
    Total £125.8m

Seems FFP is really working.

31. gjo@malawi says:

Cesc should stay with Barca and prove His greatness. He is in the best team in the world and considered himself one of the best in the world, hence he left Arsenal… Coming back to England will prove he is a failure,, Arsenal has coped well without him and cesc is our man and genius, we don’t need him, we need a DM not much of a creative midfielder…Santi, Jack, Rosicky, Eisfield, Ox, Gnabry are all quality and sufficient for us,,stay with Barca

32. Sid says:

Finsbury

Monaco are going to charge £10,000 for a pie to keep in line of FFP

33. Dave Pascoe says:

One of Arsenal’s problems for many years, even in our golden era of the unbeatables, is that we have never had real strength in depth, or a game changing plan B. Jack is not the finished article and needs to add goals and consistency to his game. Santi has had to play too many games and ran himself into the ground come the end of the season. So adding Cesc back to our squad would not be overloading our midfield with too much quality, How can you do that? In my mind Fab is the complete midfielder. He scores goals as well as opens up teams with his passes and is able to play in different roles, so will compliment the team in many different ways. He has scratched the itch that he had, (the itch being Barca of course), so can now come back home to where he knows he can be loved again. We have fallen short in all competitions for many years now. One reason for this is because we simply do not have enough quality in depth and only have sub standard players that simply just aren’t good enough (too many to name), or too lazy (Arshavin). We need quality strength in depth now.To compete realistically on all fronts we need a squad with world class quality throughout, in numbers. Not a Half decent first team backed up with fringe players that wouldn’t get into any of our rivals squads. Jack Wiltshire has had a hard couple of seasons through injury and needs to be brought back gently. Santi needs to have quality cover so that he can be keft from burnout. Fab is just the man. Let’s bring him back to where he belongs

34. gunnering says:

I DONT believe that having Jack and Santi in the middle, we can’t have Cesc as well. Be reminded that he can play just behind the striker as well like he did at barca. Having said that, Cesc is really topclass as an Arsenal fan, altho he left for personal ambition, he didnt not forget the club.

35. Ian Ure Face says:

Finsbury, all them players have dodgy passports/birth certificates and are all under 15 years of age !. Monaco can spend as much as they like on youth development !.

Thanks for comments everyone.

Busy day but will try to chat later.

37. arsenitaor says:

If cesc is coming back i would have tears in my eyes he is a real arsenal boy…..

38. evonne says:

arsenitaor – you are a big girls blouse, tears in your eyes….pshhhh…I would weep and sob, and go into a meltdown with happiness, now that is proper appreciation :)

Rocky – great stuff, bring Cesc back home! No, I didn’t know that the man with red proboscis was Alex Chapman, frankly I’d rather he wasn’t. If you asked me about Manyoo’s prospects last September, I would have told you that they will not finish in top 4. This is the weakest united I have seen under SAF. And yet they won the league. Quite unbelievable success for the Scotsman; his team doesn’t deserve it.

Would Cesc come back to us? I think not. We have fantastic midfielders and it would be hard to play all of them without upsetting the balance. But maybe we need the depth so many are banging on about. Or perhaps Theo will start as an outright striker? Maybe.

39. clockendjim says:

I agree with most of your article except the disrespect shown to David Moyes. He has worked wonders at Everton with no budget and I think he is cut from the same mould as Fergie. I don’t wish success to Man U but I fear that Moyes will make a far better job of it than some people like you are predicting (I believe with your fingers crossed).
    I would welcome Cesc back with open arms and I also believe it would be a good career move for him as he does not seem to be fully appreciated at Barcelona.

40. Sid says:

Moyes had no budget? Thats another media fueleed myth mate. Fellaini cost £11m, Mirrales £8m etc etc. he has spent more than Wenger, then again, everyone has! :)

41. S. says:

Well, at least Man Utd is competing for the title and reached the CL final in 2011. What has Arsenal achieved in the last decade? Ohh yeah, nothing!

42. Gooner In Exile says:

Darren says:
    May 27, 2013 at 11:36 am

That I like.

Although preference would probably be:

……………Rambo…….Arteta…………….
    ……………………Jack……………………….
    ……………Cesc………….Santi……………
    …………………….Theo……………………..

Ok that’s narrow but with two fit hungry overlapping full backs…….I like.

Hmmmm

43. Gooner In Exile says:

Rocky I share your view andi hope were proven right….there is no reason to think Cesc has flopped at Barca, yes he hasn’t set the world alight there but he was going to learn slowly, he is there to replace Xavi, who surely hasn’t got that many years left.

Finsbury Monaco have only just been promoted to Ligue Un, so do not have to comply with FFP yet as they are not in European competition. Also please don’t forget FFP isn’t necessarily there to kerb spending its there to make sure clubs stay in existence if the investor gets bored, so if they have failed to comply they can convert the overspend to equity. Also if the club is 100% owned they can lose more than a club in mutual ownership …..us.

44. Victor Idiege says:

I love Fabregas,his tru football home is in Arsenal and,thats d only Club that can take hime to his hight.

45. Norfolk Gooner says:

Good afternoon to you all,

Great post Rocky, it certainly got a few people thinking.

The Home Sick Spaniard to return to Arsenal? No! I don’t think so. It would look like he had failed at Barca, and do we want another tippy tappy midfielder.

Watching the Champions League final the other night I realised just what we have been missing for the past several seasons, a bit of direct play, some decent running with the ball and off it. We have seen too much of the Barca style tippy tappy which slows the game down and is in danger of becoming boring as other teams gradually work out how to combat it.

Let’s give Vermaelen a chance as defensive midfielder, buy a first class striker and sign up Begovic, then we will be able to challenge for top honours.

46. Shard says:

Hello folks. Feels good to be back reading Arsenal stuff on the blogs again. Had an exam yesterday, and although I won’t know the result for a couple of months, I’m hoping the spirit of Anfield 89 (not to mention the ghosts of the 30s) will carry me through.

Another Rocky special today. You’v made me feel better by debunking these rumours, but it would be just the perfect end if Cesc did go there. Nothing would surprise me. Although I don’t think he would do that, that doubt still exists. Unlike most Arsenal fans it seems, I hold the manner of his departure from Arsenal against him. I think he betrayed the team with his behaviour, and not to mention his performance and attitude when we were robbed at the Camp Nou.

Also, while we could do with some more creativity, a Cesc type player wouldn’t be a priority. That said, if he were available, I would take him back.

47. Itti says:

@Norfolk, What tippy tappy we have? our passing levels dropped so low in the last 2 years. Swansea out class us in passing in all games we played them….. if anything we need a good passer of the ball so bad right now to create chances

48. Norfolk Gooner says:

No Itti, Swansea have improved, we still play too many passes, we still too often play an extra pass instead of shooting.

Perhaps Itti has forgotten that we played Swansea 4 times last season and lost just once.

And perhaps he should check out the PL passing and possession stats. Arsenal top on both. Plus Arteta is top passer and Santi has most attacking passes.

50. chris says:

Cesc alongside Arteta and Wilshere, with Cazorla and Walcott on the wings? Bloody hell that would be some team! Add in a new world-class striker and we’d be nigh unstoppable.
    Cesc/Artea/Wilshere/Cazorla – best midfield since the Invincibles.

51. Gooner In Exile says:

EPL Player with most passes in final third …… Santi
    EPL Player with most passes and most successful passes ….. Arteta

May be some truth in what you say Norfolk….for me it’s the running off the ball or past the man with the ball that is our biggest weakness.

Although I disagree on Begovic, did you see the Spud goal at Britannia during the run in? He is a good keeper but IMO no better than Szczesny, I have no problem replacing him but lets look for world class not good keepers. To be honest I think there are very few about these days. Today’s keepers are not a patch on those of recent history.

52. jnyc says:

Loved this one Rocky. First off, it would make a beautiful feel good story if Cesc came back. He would free santi to play wings, give jack a chance to play slightly further back, which may end up being his best position. Also may draw a striker, —- who wouldnt want to play with Cesc?
    Im hoping that an immature Neymar destabilizes Barca somehow. :-)

53. players these days are more interested in the money, if united offered 200k a week would he really say no because he made a promise years ago?

54. Gooner In Exile says:

Robert you may be right, I guess everyone has their price. Playing for Moyes vs playing for SAF is a big difference though. I agree when it comes to playing for Man City the manager is irrelevant, as it is at Chelsea where the players are unlikely to finish their time at the club playing for the man that signs them.

I would be surprised if AW signed Begovic. Like GIE I think Szczesny is as good and will be much better. He came back strongly after the “break” – just check our record ….. played 6 conceded 2.

Begovic would only come to be our Number 1, and I believe we need an experienced No 2 . There are plenty around …. Almunia looked very good today :-)

56. abubakar hussain says:

in my own opinion the return of our former captain to arsenal is very fantastic transfer for us.

Re. the keepers, I would take Cesar from QPR. He has looked a very solid keeper to me this year. I still think Chezzer is our long-term number 1 but needs an older keeper to keep him on his toes and provide enough quality to step in for a run of games if Chezzer, (who is still very young for a keeper), has a drop in form. I have been impressed with his response to being dropped.

As mentioned earlier I would be in the take Cesc back category. We would have a great deal of quality and strength in depth then, as some have outlined. I would add that top level number 9 to the mix as well but would not turn my nose up if it was a David Villa or even Torres. I think both would thrive with us and it would almost make our attack a pure mix of English and Spanish internationals.

I love this comment.

SamEzem says:

May 27, 2013 at 10:50 am

“Cesc broke my heart when he left, his return is the only balm that can heal it. Please come shine again o star Fabs!!”

59. weedonald says:

Rocky….top post but a question: what does spending nothing on net transfers indicate? I understand it to mean that we got back from sales more than we spent on transfers but that doesn’t imply that we didn’t get some excellent players in (and some rubbish as well).
    Cesc would, imho, make an excellent defensive midfielder as he was a solid defender (and has improved at Barca) and he plays like Song, the dropped ball over and behind the defense to a charging Walcott or Giroud, or whoever we bring in this summer. If Arteta can switch from ATM to DM as well as he did, so can Cesc.
    However, unless he has a major falling out with Barca’s manager, he’ll stay where he is for a few seasons until Xavi or Iniesta throw in the towel. Remember clubs like Barca,City,Real,PSG, Bayern etc. tend to buy up the best and bench them so other teams won’t benefit from their talent….it is the cynical,narcissistic style the above clubs value above all else.

Not much makes me cry, but I know that if we re-signed Cesc I would.

61. Dean Paul says:

Lol jealousy or what. I bet you wrote the same article about RVP before he joined, like RVP players want to be successful and win trophys something arsenal haven’t done for ? Lost count, you just concentrate on trying to get a team good enough to win a league cup, good luck got next season haha

Would it be greedy to want Cesc and David Villa?

63. weedonald says:

Dumb Pill(Dean Paul)….God it must be tough for you Spuds to live with ANOTHER season kissing the Arsenal’s posterior!! How many is that now? You just concentrate on enjoying Thursday evenings in the Europotty League where you Tiny Tottys can hope you’ll be Baled out once again. Remember, just as in the last 17 seasons, he who laughs last laughs best so Shite-Heart Lane cries again!

Not at all LB. Not greedy at all..

weedonald, I don’t see the Cesc to DM idea working. I think he can play deeper and can cover there, which is useful, but is far too accomplished as an attacking player to make that permanent.

Dean Paul. Don’t get what you mean with your reference to Jealousy, and I don’t get the point of what it is you are trying to say. I don’t even know who you support, but I am guessing Utd from the RVP reference.

65. Joe curler says:

I would welcome that move happily, right personality, right footballer. With Cazorla performing excellently from Wide Left. Theres no problem with Wilshere and Fabregas clashing as Wilshere starts his influence Deeper as a Box-to-Box midfielder. And Fabregas excels further forward. It would a very ideal signing for Arsenal.

66. weedonald says:

Gooner B…..I know it is an unconventional idea but since his skills as an attacking player are also equally present in his defensive abilities, what a formation we would have if Cazorla,Wilshere, Ramsey and Cesc rotated in midfield with Cazorla,Wilshere and Ramsey being guided by Cesc from the bottom of a diamond formation! I guess that would mean a 4-4-2 formation or maybe , IF Wenger wanted to be inventive, a 3-4-3, with Cesc either being behind the front 3 or in front of the back 3. I know it sounds crazy!!!

67. Not greedy LB ….. absolutely perfect I reckon and I would cry too :lol:

weedonald, crazy sounding or not we are in agreement to have him back. I mentioned earlier about his adaptability as a midfielder from being able to play from deeper to literally playing as a number 10. It would give us fantastic variability and options.

I am also aware that there are many different views as to what kind of midfielder Wilshere is. I am more of the mind that he has certain characteristics to his game at present that maybe makes him more a player that switches between playing deeper and also more attacking within a game, but is neither purely one or the other at present. I have always felt, and still do, that he will eventually be an AM and feel that Cesc is an example of a player that was also part deep midfielder and part AM early on and eventually played further forward as he matured and added goals to his game. Wilshere is a great talent so wherever his best position becomes in the future I will be happy anyway.

The addition of Cesc can only help to alleviate some of the burden and expectation on Jack and allow him to develop and find his best role in his own time. I think Jack is very similar to a younger Cesc so could use him as a great role model to learn from.

69. Clever old Rocky …… just noticed that we’re top story on NN and this post has eclipsed Rocky’s previous highest viewed post ……. could be on for 40,000 views today :)

70. Sid says:

It can’t be easy for these plastic mancs. Knowing their time has finally come to an end. That slide down will be very slow and painful…

Awww.

71. …….. but it will be so enjoyable to watch Sid ;)

40,000 views.

That’s a jaw dropping number.

73. While I’m loitering ………. we have posts now for Tues, Wed, Thurs and Fri this week so will need a post for Saturday and Sunday. I’ll be nagging again later in the week. If anyone has an idea to write something please send it to arsenalnuts@live.co.uk

Thanks

74. It certainly is LB. How’s your knee, are you riding again yet? My hoardings are down now so if you end up in my road please stop for an orange squash soon :P

75. Whole heartedly welcome our dear play maker, Cecs is the man and he knows what he is saying of coming back to Arsenal. Cecs stood by us when we are in difficult of paying our Emirate stadium loan, l believe we should accept our boy back with open arm whenever he decide to come. lt is our turn to shine, that is why AF is leaving to avoid defeat. Man-city and Chelsea give the room to AF to steal the title with the help of FA officials, otherwise their squard this season is the worst. Gooners till eternity.

76. Sid says:

Yes it will be peaches! Can’t wait! :)

Peaches,

Saturday posts are already booked for the next eight weeks.

78. Thanks GN5, it;s not clear from what’s in drafts but I’m sure you know what you’re doing :)

Peaches,

You should check it out with GIE, they are due to be voting days.

80. Gooner In Exile says:

Hi Peaches this Saturday is free I stuck the managers vote on the end of Friday, could be moved to Saturday if you’re short :)

Hi Peaches

Still can’t ride, I miss your road badly.

82. Jordan says:

I would take Cesc back in a second and if he doesn’t want to leave then we need to go get Isco. We need a D mid but also more depth in mid to compete on all fronts. I’d take Cesc over Jack any day. Jacks injury prone and we played better last season without him. Add Hoguain and David Villa on top of that and we r in business for next year

83. Sid says:

This chat about Higuain is pure media spiel I think. I really like him and he is a great finisher, but he isnt blessed with much pace and he could end up like another Crespo (another player I really rated); great in a foreign league, average over here.

84. poettic gunner says:

Cesc is always welcome anyday anytime….

85. cgntzaa says:

What a great read. I just hate it when my friends who support Utd tease me that he might be joining them… I even told them that i would stop watching football if Cesc joined Utd. If we ever have the chance to bring him back that would be the happiest day for me. We havent got the same creative spark since Cesc left… Oh i crave the day Cesc comes back home.

86. Gooner In Exile says:

“I’d take Cesc over Jack any day. Jacks injury prone and we played better last season without him”

Sell him!!

87. Temidayo says:

I’ld love 2 see him in an Arsenal colours again and again…and apart 4rm Bacelona, I can’t picture him playing 4 another club other than Our Great ARSENAL

88. i would like if he came back

89. evonne says:

cgntzaa – they are not real friends, get rid of them quick

LB – you cannot ride and you miss Peaches road?? is this some rude message to fool Peaches’s Mum?

90. evonne says:

Ian Holloway back in EPL, good. Congrats to Crystal Palace, 2 more derby games for us, good.

Evonne 8.06 :-D

92. SharkeySuresGhost says:

Cheers Corky

I’m definitely in the ‘its a no brainer’ camp.

Rather than write a tome in praise of him, I’ll just paste a link:

Chess vs draughts…exactly !!

RL. Your post has made our stats page look silly !!

94. New Post ………………..

95. Sherry says:

Cesc is a great player, everyone agrees on that. He was one of my favorites. But the way he pushed his departure from Arsenal made him lost my respect and love. Mind you all that we had to endure 2 summers long saga of won’t he will he that directly or indirectly affected the whole team. Not to mention his last season with us during which he seemed played halfheartedly whilst his mind was already somewhere else. If he ever comeback who would guarantee that he won’t have that homesick feeling again? Cesc time with us was up the day he departed to barca. I don’t think he will ever come back, I think he’ll stay there until he retires.

IMHO we don’t really need him either. We have enough quality in the current team, what we need is consistency. If we’re to add another player, I would suggest an out and out striker, much like -I hate to stay this- that biggest traitor. That, with the performances of our last ten matches continued to the next season, I’m confident -even without Cesc- we’ll be able to challenge for titles.

96. C A says:

I’m in two minds.

We’d be overloaded in midfield, and we have Santi as our creative outlet. Then again, I hope he’s a man of his word, and does not join United despite him saying he would only ever play for us.

If he did join United, I would hope he gets BOOED when he plays at the Emirates!!!

97. robel says:

pleas cise return arsenal and u b/m gunner we dont see man utd shert

98. olivia says:

All thank to DR. Odiboh for bringing joy and happiness to my relationship and my family. I lost my boyfriend, and i required help until i found DR odiboh for his male spell caster, And she assured me that I will get my boyfriend back in two days after the spell has been cast. two days later, my phone rang, and so shockingly, it was my boyfriend who has not called me for long, and made an apology for the heart break, and told me that he is ready to devote the rest of his life with me. DR odiboh released him up to know how much i loved and wanted him.. right now me and my fiance is living a happy life and our love is now stronger than how it were even before our break up.. All thanks goes to DR odiboh for the excessive work that he has done for me. Below is his email address in situation you are undergoing a heart break, and I assure you that as he has done mine for me, he will definitely help you too. drodibohlovespell@hotmail.com

99. Get your Spell Cast in the Great AGAGU LOVE SPELL of Spell…Make your Lover and your Ex-Lover love you the more without looking at others…

Fertility Spell,
    Protection Spells,
    Remove Sickness Spells ,
    AND MORE

Email:AGAGULOVESPELL@GMAIL.COM

100. arsenal-m8 says:

Arsenal-Fan here, just: lel

101. I do not create a great deal of responses, but i did some searching and wound up here Cesc: “Only Arsenal For Me” |
    Arsenal Arsenal. And I do have some questions for you if you usually do not mind.

Could it be simply me or does it seem like a few of the responses look as if they are written by brain dead people?
    :-P And, if you are writing on additional sites, I would like to
    keep up with anything fresh you have to post. Could
    you make a list of all of all your communal sites like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or
    twitter feed?