Eyes down for a full house ?

One of the oft repeated remarks you hear from people following live coverage of our games is “Oooh, aren’t there lots of spaces in the crowd?” and “Aren’t the crowds falling?” and “What bollix, no way is the attendance 60,012!” (OK, scratch the last one, they don’t announce those figures on match days anymore).

So just how much below capacity are our home matches lately?

Below are a series of pictures taken from the Clock End upper tier for the Reading game on March the 30th this year.

The first is taken at 2.54pm so more than 5 minutes before kick-off and before the late arrivals who are caught in traffic/tube chaos or swigging a late pre match soother or nursing a road beer have got to their seats.

6 minutes before kick off

6 minutes before kick off

The second is taken at 2.59pm, just before kick-off, when one would think late drinkers have arrived but Club level are still quaffing the champers and scoffing the smoked salmon:

2.59pm, just before kick off

2.59pm, just before kick off

The third is at 3.17pm when everyone who intends to attend has arrived and before those hoping to beat the queues for £7.50 slices of microwave pizza have annoyed other people on their row by getting up just as the good guys are about to sling a cross into the oppo’s penalty area. Club level to me still seems only two thirds full – perhaps a warning sign that corporate hospitality is not as steady an income stream as anticipated.

Mid way through the first half.

Mid way through the first half.

Finally the fourth picture is just before the re start at 4.00pm where it can be seen Club level are still in the quaffing/scoffing stage and the queues for the Gents still snake into the concourse areas in front of the queues for the aforementioned extortionately priced fast food.

A few minutes before the restart

A few minutes before the restart

Incidentally when the stadium announcer reads out the results of some raffle type competition during the interval once the winner was number 18, at which point yours truly thought Squillacci was a half time sub and almost had an apoplectic fit of panic.

As well as attendances another complaint is early departees, especially during weekday evening fixtures with around up to a quarter of the stadium emptying by the final whistle; however that’s a topic for another day.

At the time of writing Champions League football had not been confirmed and the spectre of Thursday night football hanging over Ashburton Grove, and the attendant consequence of this being Sunday League fixtures replacing the traditional Saturday afternoon ones.

Just how this will affect overall attendances we will hopefully not have to find out, yet the thought of it sends a shiver up and down the spine of gooners and the money men at the Arsenal alike.

Those of the doomer/realist/AWOB persuasion may subscribe to the theory that a year out of Champions League football will get rid of the plastics and return the hard-core supporters to the fore.

While this seems a tad fanciful to me I’ll leave you with the most ludicrous thing I read about in relation to just such a scenario: “If we’re 5th we can get rid of the poncey tourist support and move back to Highbury”!

Move back to Highbury – you what?

By Charybdis1966

102 Responses to Eyes down for a full house ?

Nice work Chary

And well done for stepping up to the plate.

As a result of your commitment, I hereby promise to never again make reference to your noise, I mean music, for the entire remainder of the season :-)

An interesting post Chary, especially to those of us who cannot attend as often as we would wish.

I know that the football experience is not just about the game but you would think that the football would be enough to entice the laggers. I have been at the Emirates and seen “fans” standing at the bar watching the live streams 20 minutes into the second half!

As to the “poncy tourists”. They pay big money to go to the Emirates – it is often the raison d’etre for the London trip, and it isn’t them who leave 10 mins before the end.

As you correctly point out, it is the 3:17 that matters.

One of my biggest fears over missing out on top four, is the impact on Club and even more importantly Box Level income, as this is something around 60% of match day revenue. Then, as you rightly point out, is the impact of Sunday and Monday fixtures because of Thursday Football.

HAPPY NEWS, and its massive:

I’ve just had a brainwave (hurt only a little). Re people not re-cycling their ST through the Exchange, and early leavers. Lock the bloody doors between 2:55 and 4:45.

At 2:56, empty seats could be flogged cheaply to locals. Early exit only granted when in receipt of a chit from nurse or whatever.

Off to village, back soon.

BR
    “Can you think of a way to keep the fans in the ground during the 90+ mins of game time?”

See above. Problem soooo solved :-)

MickyDidIt89 says:

May 18, 2013 at 9:14 am

You know for sure there’s too much money in the world when cash is spent studying the Rooney brain :-)

……………………………………………………………………………………..

Micky,

It wouldn’t matter how much time or money was spent as it would end up being an exercise in futility, as they would be unable to find any evidence of gray matter.

The term “Poncy tourist support” is obviousy misleading but it is funny.

Thanks for the read Chary.

7. Morning all, I saw Peachy’s plaintive request for a post last night and thought I’d stop skiving from post writing duties.

Mdi89 – see, I wrote a post without mentioning you know how from the north west, who;d a thought it ?

London, that phrase is an oversimplification of the profile of the present day match goer, but you sure hear some unbelievable guff come from the crowd during games.

Big & Randy, I can’t imagine anything more disheartening for our team to see swathes of empty seats as full time approaches.

Still, on Tuesday night I didn’t see quite the exodus I usually do around the 80-85 minute mark.

8. PS – MDi89 – you are ok to carrying on taking the piss out of my music/noise, it’s all part of the fun. :)

chary
    I have never been to Ashburton Grove so I don’t know say compared to Highbury if it is more difficult to judge the time allowed to get to the ground but quite honestly things were no different in the sixties and seventies and early eighties when I attended.
    There are all types of characters in a crowd be it 38000 or the 60000 at our new stadium, but when i attended there were no corporate boxs and many people would arrive late and even more would leave early for a variety of reasons.

it is a known fact that one get floaters who don’t actually support the club but go when they are doing well and I know of a number of people who have two or three season tickets who only go to selected games.

Look at the new Wembley with their corporate shiny red seats which are never fully occupied regardless who is playing and it is an eyesore as the cameras always pan into that area as they are the best viewing seats.

What is different these days is that with comparitively cheap air travel one gets a bigger influx of overseas supporters/fans at all grounds.
    I doubt it would have much affect on attendences if we don’t qualify for CL next year.
    The so called hardcore fans were always those who stood and made the biggst noise and that is reproduced these days by our magfnificant vocal support by our Away fans who quite frankly put a great majority of the Home fans to shame.
    Maybe the architecture of the new stadium has something to do with it, as I have been told that sitting in the gods is not the best place to be as it is like watching ants on grass.

Kelsey,

I hope that you are settling down into your new surroundings, and that all of the moving around is now over and done with.

Thanks GN5
    but to be honest it has taken a toll and a lot has changed in 12 years

Kelsey

“it is a known fact that one gets floaters who don’t actually support the club but go when they are doing well”

“Floaters” is hands down the best description I have ever heard for these sorts.

Genius :-)

Back out into something called the sun

13. evonne. says:

Micky – if you take Citalopram long enough it becomes anything you want it to be, including horrible polish pop group :) Personally, I keep clear of the polish exports, ie men, vodka and music, all nasty.

Chary – great post, well done! the 4pm picture shows the divide between the true supporters and the plastic Gunners and their guests. Less of those please, tourists are ok, they usually love it and join in celebrations. Especially the Japanese ones

14. Red Arse says:

Excellent post, CharyB, :-)

In the spirit of AA, as epitomised by Micky, I promise not to tease you until the end of the season too! :-)

15. Red Arse says:

Micky,

Aren’t ‘floaters’ those little b*stards that won’t go down, no matter how many times you flush?

Kelsey,

Sorry to hear about it taking a toll on you, but with both your arduous journey back, and moving twice on your return, it would have taken it’s toll on a person half of your age.

Myself and my family are now fixtures in Canada/North America and we give very little thought to returning – that’s not to say that we don’t still miss certain aspects of life in England.

Afternoon everyone. Great post Chary. I get the feeling that all the photos were taken by one “David Chary Bailey” himself, and if that is the case you obviously had this post and topic up your sleeve anyway Chary you little devil.

I will proudly admit to staying til the end of the game and never leave before. I also always like to give the players a clap and see which players are going over to the fans.

I am somewhat guilty of arriving at my seat a minute late at times at the start or after half time. The start is normally because I have been enjoying the pre-match company I was with so much that I have left it a bit tight. Half time often has to do with the protracted visit to the little boys room but also because I do like a half time light ale and the queues are often ridiculous. The solution to the latter is just to put up more of the mobile bottle beer stalls. Very easy and I don’t know why you only find them in some areas of the concourse and not everywhere. I would also suggest that the speedier all round service would see more revenue taken at half time.

The solution to the toileting is simple, and I think I feel a dragons den moment coming on here. The club shop just needs to sell incontinence pants with the slogan

Full 90 Gooner, “Bursting” with pride!

By the way Chary, how do the empty seats at THOF compare to Utd’s (HaHaHa, sorry Micky, that will get him started)

Chary,

Your post was enlightening, including the pictures. I think that with the new “breed of attendees” one cannot expect any better.

Back in the day the crowd consisted of a very different “ilk” of supporters their attire was very different hob nail boots, flat caps and scarves, hiding grubby faces. What was very different was their passion, it was intense and they gave their all for the team.

For them to go to a game meant spending some really HARD earned money unlike many of today’s “clubbers” who attend due to a perk.

If I had the know how I would have attached a picture of a 40’s crowd and one of today’s passionless corporate stiffs.

19. Andy Mack says:

As Kelsey says, there have always been ‘supporters’ that turn up late and leave early (never understood it myself, but maybe I’m just a skinflint). It just a bit more noticable with the TV.
    It’s probable that most of the ‘corporate’ tickes are paid for long in advance but the people they invite don’t attend (for whatever reason). It’s just a fact at every big ground in the world.

20. thetruth says:

Is anyone getting excited over a possible wooden spoon Play-off with Chelsea.

I think that I know somebody who would like to stir it up with the wooden spoon?

22. Thanks for the kind comments guys, I’ll be back later. Off to Cheltenham for a piss up now :)

23. IanRealGunner says:

A good question to those who leave early is why?

Many will argue that they have public transport to catch and there are a number of choke points around the ground (Ken Friar Bridge and Arsenal tube station are examples) which will significantly delay them. Would one potential solution for this not be to look at releasing the pressure on these choke points; Arsenal, alongside the local council who aided the Ashburton Grove project, could surely provide an answer to this.

Get the gate stewards to ask early leavers why they have gone early, and that should provide the evidence.

I’ll admit to being one of those who gets to my seat one minute before kick-off.

Match day is a well-honed routine, meeting in the pub, having a few pints and a laugh, leaving at the right moment to get to the ground just before the start.

The only thing that would change such behaviour is not have designated seating, so that the earlier you got to the ground, the better your seat would be. Ain’t gonna happen though.

25. evonne. says:

chary – watch out for Pardew at Cheltenham, he has a huge gambling problem and has been seen at the races. Kill him.

26. evonne. says:

Take great care of your watch Rocky or you could miss a goal or two

RL. Was that your routine pre-Ems?

28. I’ll keep an eye out for him Evonne, maybe trip him up ha ha, accidents do happen

BR
    Pre-Ems and post-Ems, before I moved to Canadia.

For day time kick-offs pre-match (both pre- and post-Ems) is always the Faltering Fullback in Perth Road (unless I’m popping in to see the reprobates at the Tavern).

Post match – the Bank of Friendship.

Evening games, pre- is still the Fullback if there’s time. Post is usually the Commandante because you can get there in five minutes after the game.

Rocky, as well as catching up with Peaches and the gang at the Tavern I have a few pals that go to the Fullback. I went there to meet them before the Utd game for a couple before sauntering down to the Tavern. It is a top pub and most who visit it for the first time are rather spellbound by the 3 tiered botanical style outdoor section. It is like an Aladdins cave.

31. Shard says:

Thanks for the post Chary.

I don’t know how many people leave early. I know I never ever would. But then I don’t live there and don’t have work concerns etc. Still, even if I had them, I doubt I could ever leave before the final whistle at the earliest.

Arriving late though. I have done that. The first competitive match I saw, I arrived at HALF TIME! I was coming over from Wales that weekend. Was delayed due to a traffic jam on one of the B roads somewhere, and caught the train at Oxford. I was nearly in tears. At least we won that match (despite bsr missing a penalty) and I saw the only goal of the game.

I also arrived late for the Newcastle game last season because I hadn’t left any buffer time and stayed in the pub as late as I could. But then my card wouldn’t work and I had to run to the box office to get it sorted. Missed the first 7-8 minutes.

Pre-Blackburn last season, I arrived way early, saw all the players warming up (Per is a giant) and nearly ran like a little child to shake hands with Gunnersaurus :)

I don’t have any other stadium to compare it to, but to me the new stadium offers fantastic views. The pitch is a little far from the crowd, but it’s not something which bothers me really. I think I’ve also been mostly at times where the atmosphere is fantastic, so in general I have no complaints with the crowd either. To me, it feels like Arsenal’s home.

Unfortunately, it is the off season, but I’ll be in the UK for about 2 weeks sometime in June. Anything interesting, and especially Arsenaly to do then? (I’m hoping against hope that the Bergkamp statue will be unveiled in that time, and that he makes an appearance)

I tended to use The Gunners pre-match and either the Fullback or the 7 Pins post. If there was a game after ours then the Pins was my hostelry of choice.

Nowadays it is the Southern Cross near Radhudspladsen!

33. Gooner In Exile says:

Evening all, interesting topic Chary with varying reasons.

It is rather too easy to get to your seat at the Ems even in the Upper Tiers, it probably only takes 1minute from the turnstile (if you know where you’re sitting).

I’m sure the early leavers is people wanting to get home easily….avoiding the queues at the tube stations etc. but there’s another way to do this, leave late….why rush…remain after the game and watch the results come in, go for a beer or a bite to eat then get the tube.

This is what my parents tend to do rather than fight the crowd.

In some ways leaving the Em’s is very different to leaving Highbury, most would head for Arsenal or Finsbury Park tubes, now there are three stations four including Holloway Road. What has surprised me in my time away is how many more people go southbound on the Picaddily and Victoria lines post match, evidence of our shifting support bases?

As for getting their early I’m with Rocky, in that unallocated seating (especially I lower tiers) would help.

One other problem is that the cameras only pick up lower tier seats, some of the cheapest in the house so maybe the ones that ST holders can feel less guilty (financially when justifying to their wife) not going to the odd game in a season.

The final thing I’d say is empty seats at the Em’s look worse because they are big comfortable seats. Some grounds (Goodison) you wouldn’t notice an empty seat because the two people either side would just be released to cover it.

Going back to GN5’s comment regarding hobnail boots etc I’d say a fair few Em’s regulars are still of this ilk….maybe as high as 60%.

Also terracing has always been deceptive, the fact that you couldn’t see a red seat didnt mean it was packed, the only time you can truly judge terracing fullness is when you can see the terrace itself or expanses of crash barriers. Then it would be anything under 60% full. I’d guess above that you wouldn’t be able to gauge whether it was 70% or 100% full just by looking at pictures.

Shard. I will be in London during the last week of June. Do uou have any spare time?

Nice pics, Chary.

This is my favourite pic of empty seats at the Emirates.
    It was the spud section during the first 5-2. :)

Wow, and there was me thinking most of the chaps from the site would be down at Big Sally’s in Brighton for the Gentlemen Only screening of The Eurovision.

Maybe it’s just Rasp :-(

Serious question. Why would anyone want to get into their seat more than a minute before KO?

Jus listen to dat bass, BR. :)

Good point, Micky.
    Missing the stadium announcer’s inanity is a bonus.

I used to like it when they played this at the end of the game.

Ahoy Chas,
    The Marching Band were rubbish (although I did werhey when he chucked his stick in the air. Then boo when he caught it :-) ). Years later they tried Majorettes, who quite rightly got booed off. That leaves Gunnasaurus. Now, if we were allowed to take shot guns and catapults, you could count me in :-)

42. Shard says:

BR,

I am likely to have loads of spare time there and would be delighted to meet you, and any other AAers if they were to oblige. I am in the UK (mostly London) from June 11th to 24th. That comes just inside the last week of June. Hopefully you will be there then.

43. Shard says:

chas

I was there at that match :D

Shard,
    Raddy didn’t invite anyone else in case you didn’t notice. You can draw your own conclusions :-)

45. Shard says:

Hey, Micky. Didn’t you just read how excited I was to see Gunnersaurus? Besides, shooting endangered species is frowned upon.

46. Shard says:

haha… Micky, you’ve sowed the seeds of doubt in my mind now..Hmmmm :)

47. I remember in the dim and distant at Highbury a bunch of cheerleaders came on the pitch dressed in pink.

The Arsenal faithful sang “are you Tottenham in Disguise” that’s why i want to get to a game more than 1 minute before kick off.

The humour is still there, Birmingham away a couple of seasons ago, our mascot was a bit …. shall we say …. big boned.

As he ran with Gunnersaurus to wave to the fans as instructed they sand “Are you Lampard in disguise”

48. Shard ignore Micky, he has already arranged to meet Raddy and now you are muscling in on his meat erm i mean meet.

Here you go Chas,
    Strummer with Shane MacGowan (Pogues). Spent one evening drinking with the pair of them together. Lordy Lord :-(

GiE,

That was it, Cheerleaders. I was there too. Well we booed the dirty minxes off at any rate :-)

Shard,
    Raddy said quite clearly “Do you have any spare time?”
    No mention of drinks, nibbles or even a chat. Fast walker, fast mover.

51. Nowadays you can use the 20p binoculars to see them properly.

Ha Ha
    Off to read. Doing everything to kill time. Cannot wait for KO tomorrow.
    Nite all.

Flippin name-dropper.

54. Gooner In Exile says:

I would just like to be the first to openly admit a squeak.

Lots more to follow.

Amid all the anticipation and squeaks I’ve just had a sad thought…

Tomorrow’s is the last BR prematch for a long time and I will miss them greatly :(

He really does do the best in the business…

Hear, hear, on the BR pre-matches.
    Top bombing.

….even if it was because your boyfriend’s Dad played for the Club. :)

Chas

He was down Big Sally’s last night for sure :-)

Chas
    One word. Pod or Olly as CF

Olly

61. VCC says:

Nice one chas….if we win today I will be singing this every morning during the summer.

Off to the gym to burn some tension.

VCC

Will you be sporting chaps and a moustache?

64. Gooner In Exile says:

If? Doomer :)

65. Gooner In Exile says:

So all agreed today’s not a big game anyway, our season was defined in September.

Seriously though I can’t help but look at the long unbeaten run on the right and think we should be clear by now, CL qualification will keep getting harder as more teams stake a claim.

At United, City and Chelsea I’d guess its mandatory, for us under current constraints the minimum. Do Directors at Spuds and Dippers make it a minimum too when setting the manager targets? Just wondering aloud because there will be a lot of managerial changes if they do.

No PM as yet….. still celebrating.

What a party down at Big Sally’s! It was like ….. well ……. 1999! (Prince joke).

Morning GiE

Today the stakes are very high.

Losing out on CL Football is one thing, losing it to a Pool, Toon or Villa another, but losing it to Totnum would be just horrible.

BR

What are you celebrating. Did you pull?

Both Liverpool and THFC have managers in the first seasons. Far more pressure next year, though I have to say AVB has done a good job

Micky. Need you ask?

Oh God, you pulled :-)

It was like VE Day in Copenhagen last night – last time I went to a party like that was 26/5/89 outside Highbury.

Got it. Just googled. Denmark won :-)

Two other funny things. You posted the Romanian entry yesterday, and they beat the UK :-)

Then I looked for anyone achieving Nil Points. Ireland came closest on 5. Shame it wasn’t 0.

Did Rasp get lucky?

74. VCC says:

Mickey 7:09…….I will wear whatever you like as long as we get at least fourth.

VCC

Bad comment. Everyone on this site will hold you to that. You’ve just dropped what I call an “LB” :-)

Morning all

Well done Raddy as just for today you are a danish pansy :)

if anyone wants to recreate their career the ESC is a kiss of death.

Maybe if we had a Polish singer we would have done better.

now on today.Has the fact been overlooked that Everton could well turn over Chelsea,it is feasable.
    Us,well we are on a good run and will Wenger tighten the nuts and bolts on jack’s ankle and start him.

After Pulis, Pardrew comes a close second to managers i despise,
    but we haven’t won up there for a while and though I feel we shouldn’t lose I can’t feel in my bones that a win is a forgone conclusion.

Most of the players will not know or feel the rivalry that exists between our fans and the spuds and to me qualification will be to a degree on who is the shrewdist between AW and AVB on the day with team selection..

Morning Kelsey,

If the players want it badly enough, we will win.

Mind you, and you’re right about Everton, Spuds draw and we can afford to lose.

At this rate the club will have to organise a special section for supporters who having lost bets are forced to attend games wearing very little.

The Next to Naked Section.

LB :-)
    Your The Boss in that section.

Just found this interesting comment.

i’m sure there’s a lot of us bricking it for tomorrow,so i thought i’d look at our stats this season as a guide as to what may happen or not tommorow.we have won 20.drawn 10 and lost 7 out of our 37 games so far. out of the 20 we have won,we have taken the lead in 16 of them and have comeback to win the games on the other 4.in the drawn games we have taken the lead in 3 of them,comeback to draw in 3,and the other 4 were 0-0 draws.we have lost 7 games,twice to the same side chelski.we have failed to score in 3 of these defeats and have only registered and equaliser once to chelski at the emirates.so in theory this how it could pan out for us tomorrow.if we take the lead then we have a great chance in getting the 3 points.the negatives are if we concede the first goal,then we have only comeback to win 4 out of a possible 14 games including all our wins,draws and losses.we have failed to score in 7 games this season and have kept 13 clean sheets.all these stats tell me that WE need the first goal or we could be in deep trouble.

Talking of Bets, today we find out the winner of The DidIt Quizz.

I will make an announcement some time after final whistle.

LB
    have you bought a new sofa :)

Kelsey

Rules are made for breaking.

Crawling here but nevertheless I would like to thank the bald danish eagle for all his pre match posts this season ;)

Newcastle owner Mike Ashley will share out £1m between the club’s non-football staff if they beat Arsenal in their final game of the season on Sunday, Sky sources understand.

Arsene Wenger’s side must beat Newcastle at St James’ Park to guarantee a top-four finish and with it the opportunity to play Champions League football for the 16th consecutive year.

Arsenal’s North London rivals Tottenham face Sunderland at White Hart Lane, knowing they could pip the Gunners to fourth spot if they slip up on Tyneside.

Newcastle could yet finish as high as 10th if they beat Arsenal and Ashley is understood to have offered an unusual incentive to his side.

He’ll share out £1m amongst Toon’s “non-football staff” !

That should piss the playing staff off sufficiently not to bother :-)

87. VCC says:

Morning Kelsey, hope you are well. :-)

Mickey. 8:01…..as long as its not my birthday suit.

Right, off for a Dad’s and Son’s tennis tournament. Oh joy :-(

Morning kelsey

I will probably go to a pub to watch the game next to Finsbury Park tube called The 12 Pins, which you may know, they show every Arsenal game. There is always a great atmosphere.

Morning VCC

how are you ?

LB

I actually prefer to watch the games alone in the comfort of my home.Maybe one day I will venture out,it is a dream for the moment.

92. Gooner In Exile says:

I’m guessing Ashley knows his players are on the beach so his £1m is safe, how many non football staff are there do you think?

93. Gooner In Exile says:

Somehow a family meal has been organised today for Mother in Laws birthday she was actually in Oz on her birthday and due to her selfishness we are having her party today…..12noon dinner….I might have to watch on record.

GIE
    sorry not allowed :) Who comes first Arsenal or the mother in law (ask the late late les dawson)

95. evonne. says:

Denmark won? Oh dear, I hope Raddy doesn’t get carried away and write a post about it today :)

GiE – eat fast, starting at 12 you should be full by 4! And be generous with drinks, make sure Her glass is always full

Is the game on telly?

Sorry to be late, my computer crashed

New Post ………………….

98. seo says:

Hi there, I found your blog by means of Google while looking for a similar
    subject, your website came up, it appears great.

I’ve bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.
    Hello there, simply was alert to your blog via Google, and found
    that it’s truly informative. I am gonna be careful for brussels.
    I will be grateful if you continue this in future.
    A lot of people will probably be benefited out of your writing.
    Cheers!