Deep Breaths. Wigan Pre-Match

We all know what is at stake and tonight, we, and I mean those fans who are lucky enough to attend, have to push our lads to 3 points.

As a child I had an idea that if all the fans on the North Bank simultaneously sucked in air at a corner kick then the ball was sure to go into the net. It just had to be delivered into the right area and the ensuing suction would ensure another goal for my heroes. I couldn’t understand why it wasn’t recommended in the programme!

In later life I found that in times of stress and challenge a few deep breaths helped considerably, and I have a feeling many will be needed tonight because this is going to be a nervous 90+ minutes.

Let us begin by congratulating Wigan on a wonderful achievement on Saturday. To overcome the Northern Oilers with a team that cost less in total than any single player of the opposition was superb (and almost true!).

images

Brilliant.

How the win will affect Wigan is anyone’s guess; they could be exhausted by the emotional strain or be running on adrenalin.

What excites me about tonight is that a draw is useless to both teams – like us, Wigan’s future is in their own hands, win two games and they stay up, and as such it should be an all-out attacking game.  This should (?) play into Arsenal’s hands as we are unquestionably the better attacking team, even without Giroud. In fact, we have better players in every single position – in my opinion, there isn’t one Wigan player who would be first choice at Arsenal.

As always, look elsewhere for tactics and statistics. Those that interest me are that Arsenal have won 9 out of 10 games at home to Wigan and Wigan have only lost once in May over 2 seasons. If Podolski is subbed tonight he will set a new AFC record of being subbed in the PL – 22 times!

Much has been made of the referee tonight, our record with the Dean is played 15 won one! This season Dean has been in control of our defeats to both Bradford and Blackburn and was referee at Wembley when we lost to Birmingham. Corruption? Bias? Who knows but whatever the reason it makes no difference tonight, we jut have to win despite Mr Dean. I said a few weeks ago that our season could depend upon luck and decent refereeing – I wish Mr Dean a successful and enjoyable evening.

Will we start with the same players who “thrilled” us in the opening 20 seconds at Loftus Rd and then bored us for the next 90 minutes, or will Mr Wenger make some changes? There is little alternative but to continue with Podolski at CF, though The Swerve may get a game in which we have to score.

Just for once and for Big Al here is the team I would like to see start but won’t:

001a

Ramsey has been outstanding recently but adds no goal threat whatsoever, Rosicky has flattered but not been consistent and we need goals.  Gervinho, despite being infuriating can score, and tonight we have to not only be secure at the back but also clinical in front of goal (clinical and Gervinho in the same sentence!!).

I want to see Wilshire. He may not have played well in his last couple of games but he remains our best player (IMO). He has the power and the vision to be the fulcrum of Arsenal’s future and we need him in big games. Yes, Ramsey does a better job defensively but good as he is Ramsey just hasn’t got JW’s vision.

Just read that JW will start from the bench thanks to the need for a summer operation on his injured ankle .

Defensively we are much improved  with BFG and Koscielny  developing a partnership which bodes well for the future – always assuming Koscielny doesn’t leave in summer. I prefer Gibbs to Monreal because Wigan’s main threat comes from Macnanaman  and we must hope that whoever gets the shirt does better than Clichy did at Wembley.

Would you prefer an all-out attacking display for our final home game of the season or a classic 1-0 to The Arsenal? I would take either, but prefer the former.

Today’s English explorer: Just a couple left before season’s end and we have just scratched the surface of England’s brave chaps, yet the traditions of Captains Scott and Cook live on, so today we are going to look at a remarkable young man who was born after Charlie scored “that” goal at Wembley;  Tom Avery (1975- )

Unknown

Still time to grow the “full set” and get Knighted

Born in London, Tom was given (as I was) the wonderful book of Captain Robert Scott’s attempt at the South Pole, it fired his interest in exploring. At Uni he led climbing expeditions to the Andes, New Zealand and the Alps. By the age of 20, he had scaled 9 unclimbed mountains up to 20,000 ft, yet his heart was set upon traveling to the Poles. In 2002 Avery became the youngest Briton to ski to the South Pole and broke the South Pole speed record in the process.

Inspired by Peary’s North Pole expedition he set off to replicate the American’s journey, attempting to ascertain whether Peary did in fact make the Pole. Using the same equipment and sleds as Peary, Avery reached the Pole in just 36 days, thus becoming just the 41st and youngest person to travel to both Poles. His next project is to sail solo around the world.

The Premiership table shows that we are 5th, Wigan are 18th and over 30 points behind. Arsenal are at home, we have the best record in the PL over the last 8 games, we are on a great run – our last 12 games are W9 D2 L1 –  PL winning form.

And yet  …..  Why am I so worried about tonight???

Given where we were at Xmas the team have done brilliantly to get so close to CL qualification. Let’s continue the work tonight

COYRRG

Written by Big Raddy

139 Responses to Deep Breaths. Wigan Pre-Match

1. Adrian says:

Hopefully not a 1-0 to the Arsenal and instead a game full of attacking displays. The last few games where we were leading 1-0 was far from a decent performance to say the least. The players just closed shop and played it safe while waiting for the final whistle to be blown, deciding to limit going forward and served up some mundane football. Absolutely boring and frustrating and a very far cry from the Arsenal that was so well known for playing slick passing football just a couple of seasons ago.

2. Thank you for the pre match Big Daddy, sad to think we’ll only get to see one more of your explorer picks.

At the game tonight it is our duty, as the supporters, not to let the potential anxiety we may feel transmit to the players so whatever the game situation we must applaud good play and hold our tongue if a move fails to come off.

Of course an early couple of goals will sort out that problem but we must show patience if necessary.

Any of the AA regulars have/know of an under 16 gooner who wants to go to the game tonight and doesn’t mind sitting with me and my younger son and can make it to the Tavern about 6.30ish ?

I’ve had a late cancellation; I’ve also asked Peachy if she knows of any takers.

3. evonne says:

No idea why you are nervous BR :) great post, thanks

Great pre-match Raddy. I didn’t quite get the bit where you said you prefer Gibbs to Monreal but had Monreal in your line up. I would prefer Gibbs to start if he is available. Monreal is good but has only just arrived in the EPL. Gibbs extra knowledge of the English game and what this one means to Arsenal would see me pick him. In the absence of Jack I would go with your premise and go for attack and play Rosicky who seems to come good in critical end of season games. The only other adjustment I might make would be to play Walcott left and Gervinho right. If it really is goal-threat we want then who would you rather see cut in on their right foot to unleash a shot out of those 2?

5. Gooner In Exile says:

Morning all, Raddy the deep breaths are not working….I’m sure once I have arrived at the Ems my nerves will return but at the moment I feel a bit queasy.

The last time I had this feeling was when Arsene fielded the youth team against Chelsea in the Carling Cup Final. It was for me a massive day, win it and we could set the precedent for future years, defeat has proven to have affected many of that group.

The same today as Shard pointed out late knockings on this mornings post, it is the magnitude of the consequences rather than the result itself that is causing the unease.

As for scoreline I think 1-0 may be too tense for fans in the ground, if we appear to be hanging on the nerves will fall from the stands into the players.

A united belief is what is needed tonight, players, fans and manager in harmony.

Morning all, spot on with the pre-match Raddy :P

We both need to win and we are the home team, but I think the answer lies in us not conceding – no silly defensive mistakes.

We need to sap what’s left of their energy by having them chasing shadows and pressing all over the pitch so they don’t have a second to breath or establish a rhythm. The last 20 minutes should be all Arsenal, we’ve had 10 days off and we’ve got real quality on the bench to make a difference. We need to be 2 goals up by the time we reach that last 20 mins.

Raddy,

Thank you for your usual pre match treat, they always go down very well.

The acid is already churning in my stomach – not a good sign.

I hope it’s not an omen of things to come, but last night I watched the Toronto Maple Leafs play the Boston Bruins in the seventh and final game of their !st round Stanley Cup encounter, the Leafs were leading 4-2 with less than 2 minutes left and ended up losing 4-5 Ugh…

Arsenal have the better team and the better players so if we play to our full ability, and cut out the insane blips, than victory will be a snap.

But then we have to figure in the curse of Mike Dean. Why they would use him, when there is so much negative press and dialogue surrounding his potential bias, simply does not make any sense.

“Yes, Ramsey does a better job defensively” [Than Wilshere]

Urban myth numer one of the day.

Work your way from spuds away until today, this is the time period in which Ramsey has obtained this new found reputation, and you will see that very little defensive work has been required of him at all.

Thanks for the pre-match BR, always appreciated.

I do agree with the choice of team though but as you say it seems already to be a fore gone conclusion that Ramsey will start and I am not sure that Wenger will feel gung ho enough to opt for Gervinho over Rosicky.

10. So, it appears Mo(yes) was not old purple conks first choice to replace him, it was actually Ancelotti, who turned the old Toilet mob down, according to Le Parisien hack Julien Laurens.

Well then Mo, how does it feel to be the 2nd choice ?

Hahahahahahahahaha

I think the combination of Arteta and Ramsey creates a better defensive shield than MA & JW. We certainly appear to be more compact or is it the improved cohesion between the back 4?

Moyes must be ecstatic- it is the biggest managerial job in Manchester. Thinking of which, not surprised but am disappointed by MC. Have they forgotten last season or that MC were runners up in both the FAC and PL?

I guess the owners belong to the 2nd is for Losers generation.

Disappointed no-one has picked up on my brilliant childhood plan to assist the team.

I need RA to tell me why it won’t work.

13. Red Arse says:

Hi Randy,

Enjoyable Post, and oddly it has helped me with the jingle jangle of pre-match nerves! Thank you! :-)

You asked me, @ 2:08, to explain why your childhood theory of everyone on the North Bank sucking in air, en masse, at the moment a ball from say a corner kick nears the goal area would not succeed in deflecting the ball towards goal.

Well au contraire, mon petit pois, there is a possible scientific application that may indeed explain the causes of a ball deviating in flight, and possibly resulting in an increased goalscoring opportunity, such as you have described. :-)

The rate of deviation of a ball is proportional to the speed at which the ball in flight decelerates, and in turn is proportional to the ball’s angular deviation, at any given instant, which would be caused by the differential air pressure between both sides of the ball.

We have previously discussed the theory, that if a butterfly flaps its wings in the UK, somewhere in the Pacific there will be a tornado as an unintended consequence of that act. This cunning scheme of yours may well fall into that category.

The simultaneous sucking in of the breath of thousands of North Bank fans at precisely the same time, would decrease the air pressure on the right side of the ball, when kicked from the left hand side of the pitch, as viewed from the North Bank, and this would force the inner diaphragm of the ball to move in the direction of the reduced air pressure, and make the ball turn in towards the goal itself, and may well be enough, with the resultant change in the deceleration of the ball, to result in a goal.

You clearly were a child protégé of Einstein and you are to be commended on unearthing a valuable, tho’ unused, tool in the armoury of the mighty Arsenal.

The only possible flaw in your brilliant, if slightly machiavellian, plan is that it would not work too well if the only participant was a sole child, even one who in later life shagged many women, and went on to become a famous Danish Tour Guide, and celebrated Post writing diva!! :D

I am glad to have been of some service to you!

A few Bob Hope quips to brighten up some very nervous Arsenal Fans.

……………………………………………………………………………………..

ON TURNING 70
    ‘I still chase women, but only
    downhill’.

ON TURNING 80
    ‘That’s the time of your life when even your birthday suit needs pressing.’

ON TURNING 90
    ‘You know you’re getting old when the candles cost more than the cake.’

ON TURNING 100
    ‘I don’t feel old. In fact, I don’t feel
    anything until noon. Then it’s time for my nap.’

ON GIVING UP HIS EARLY CAREER, BOXING
    ‘I ruined my hands in the ring. The referee kept stepping on them.’

ON NEVER WINNING AN OSCAR
    ‘Welcome to the Academy Awards or, as it’s called at my home, ‘Passover’.

ON GOLF
    ‘Golf is my profession. Show business is just to pay the green fees.’

ON PRESIDENTS
    ‘I have performed for 12 presidents and entertained only six.’

ON WHY HE CHOSE SHOWBIZ FOR HIS CAREER
    ‘When I was born, the doctor said to my mother,
    Congratulations, you have an eight pound ham.

ON RECEIVING THE CONGRESSIONAL GOLD MEDAL
    ‘I feel very humble, but I think I have the strength of character to fight it.’

ON HIS FAMILY’S EARLY POVERTY
    ‘Four of us slept in the one bed. When it got cold, mother threw on another brother.’

ON HIS SIX BROTHERS
    ‘That’s how I learned to dance. Waiting for the bathroom.’

ON HIS EARLY FAILURES
    ‘I would not have had anything to eat if it wasn’t for the
    stuff the audience threw at me.’

ON GOING TO HEAVEN
    ‘I’ve done benefits for ALL religions. I’d hate to blow the hereafter on a technicality.’

RA;

Could you help me out and explain what the effect would be if. when the opposition look like scoring, all of the fans behind the goal, turn around, drop their pants and let off a big one?

16. Red Arse says:

GN5, :D

Well, the crowd letting rip with a big un in those circumstances may be equally as good a plan as Big Dandy’s. :-)

A few jokes at the expense of the Irish – no offense intended, just laughs.

…………………………………………………………………………………………..
    Paddy spies a letter lying on his doormat.
    It says on the envelope “DO NOT BEND “.

Paddy spends the next 2 hours trying to figure
    out how to pick it up.

———— ——— ——— ——— ——— ——— —

Paddy shouts frantically into the phone
    “My wife is pregnant and her
    contractions are only two minutes apart!”

“Is this her first child?” asks the Doctor.

“No”, shouts Paddy, “this is her husband!”

———— ——— ——— ——— ——— ——— —
    An old Irish farmer’s dog goes missing and he’s
    inconsolable.

His wife says “Why don’t you put an advert in the
    paper?”

He does, but two weeks later the dog is still
    missing.

“What did you put in the paper?” his wife asks.

“Here boy” he replies.

———— ——— ——— ——— ——— ——— —-
    Paddy’s in jail. Guard looks in his cell and sees
    him hanging by his feet.

“What on earth you doing?” he asks.

“Hanging myself” Paddy replies.

“It should be around your neck” says the Guard.

“I know” says Paddy “but I couldn’t breathe”.

———————– ———— ————————
    An answer I can understand. An American tourist asks an Irishman:

“Why do Scuba divers always fall backwards off their boats?”
    To which the Irishman replies: “They have to go backwards.
    If they fell forwards, they’d still be in the boat.”

18. Red Arse says:

Just for you, GN5.

A lady went into a fishing shop to buy her husband a fishing pole for his birthday.

She picked up a really nice looking pole and asked the salesman how much it was. The sales man says, “I am blind but if you give me the pole I can tell how much it is by the weight.”

So the lady gives him the pole and he says, “That pole is worth $45.” She was amazed at how cheap that was.

So then she picked up another really nice pole, hands it to the man and he says, “This pole is worth $55.” she decided that was also really cheap.

And then she picks the nicest looking pole in the place and handed it to the man and he says, “This pole is our best and it is $70.” she told him that she would take it.

As she was getting the fishing pole all rung up, she had to fart really really badly. She decided since the man was blind that it really wouldn’t matter if she farted in front of him so she just let it loose.

All of a sudden the man says, “It all comes up to $80.”
    Confused the lady says to him, “But you said the fishing pole was only $70.”

He said, “It is. Its $70 for the fishing pole and $10 for the duck call.”

19. Gooner In Exile says:

On the tube at Cockfosters……admittedly I’m a little early for the game….tense.

RA,

That was a real piece of quackery – thank you for the laugh.

21. double98 says:

Wanna Know a scary fact about our ref for tonights game..

Mike Dean – not only do we have a win % of 38 but heres his stats across the board this season.

Mike dean has reffed 38 first class matches
    9 of them were home wins
    10 of them were draws
    19 (nineteen) of them were away wins

These away wins included
    Blackburns win over us and MK Dons wins over QPR.

50% of his games are away wins –
    we are screwed

22. Crikey GiE, I’m out in leafy Buckinghamshire and even I’m still at home.

No need to feel tense, just reeeelax, Wigan will be spent by now.

GIE,

My Dad’s sister used to live in a council house in Cockfoster’s during the 60’s,

She had 12 children, 9 of which were boys and committed Arsenal fan’s. The family was so big that the council also gave them the house next door, even going so far as to cutting a doorway through to link up the two homes.

D98,

Even mean Mike will be unable to deny us victory – if the real Arsenal show up and play to the fullest of their ability.

Make sure that everybody around you are playing their part by being behind the team, in a positive manner, for the whole game.

25. double98 says:

Cockfosters? is that a euphemism?
    or a reason why she had so many kids….
    :D

26. Red Arse says:

Hi D98,

This might help.

In the 16th century this was the ‘cock forester’s estate’, ‘cock’ meaning head or chief.

Cockfosters (near Enfield) developed as a hamlet long before most other parts of Enfield Chase.

It lay on the edge of woodland, halfway along the road from Southgate to Potters Bar.

A Lincoln’s Inn barrister owned a house called Cockfosters in 1613 and a small group of cottages and houses had formed by 1754.

D98,

My uncle told everybody that each child was conceived during a thunder storm. Apparently while they were in the “act” there would be a huge clap of thunder that made him jump – and hey presto!

28. Gooner In Exile says:

Pissing it down at the Emirates

29. evonne says:

several Arsenal players live in Cockfosters, it is very posh and beautiful part of North London.

I think we are all being a tad silly today!! come on guys, we are playing relegation crew! Yes, they won at Wembley, but not because they were so good, but because Shitty lived up to their name. And we are playing at home. Calm down, we will win big time.

Some of AW’s professorial thoughts before today’s game.

………………………………………………………………………….

In other words, it isn’t the inches of the single night that it comes down to, but the long yards of the last few months. No matter how consequential one specific kick seems, it is ultimately conditioned by thousands of similar moments that preceded it. Similarly, no matter how cruel or close any particular ending appears, teams generally get what they deserve as a consequence.

31. double98 says:

RA – Thanks – i am from Ireland, where we name everything brilliantly :)
    (for example Co. Wexford has a bastardstown, a bridestown and a horetown all within a 5 mile radius)
    i wonder where the bastards went on their stag!

GunnerN5 – thats funny – i’ll keep an eye on the weather forecast so if i am feeling amorous with Lady98 :)

GOD I WISH IT WAS NEXT WEEK AND WE HAD TWO WINS BEHIND US!!!!!!!!!

32. Gooner In Exile says:

33. Gooner In Exile says:

Looks like I should have popped in to see you Evonne for a prematch kick up the Arse. :)

34. Oh Dennis, this is serious, I don’t have time to go home and put any mascara on!!!!!!! If we win big on such an important occasion what will I do in the future – peaches with no mascara is not a good look :(

Off to scare a few on the train and hide behind Rasp in the Tavern.

Keep breathing all, catch you later.

35. double98 says:

I hope Richard is less than 7 years old or he’s at the wrong place and some highbury square dweller is going to get a nasty surprise when he takes his seat.

36. evonne says:

GiE – absolutely, I am not happy you didn’t show up !!

Peaches – did you wear mascara on days when we won, or days we lost? This is important

37. evonne says:

double – you know perfectly well how old is Richard :)

38. dandan says:

Am due some luck, just back from the Dentist who has pulled a back tooth with an abscess on it, which gave me hell all last night.Cant eat, can’t drink, come on you red and white beauties give me something to smile about. 1 0 will do nicely..
    Wife keeps saying mind de gap, She knows not how thin the ice she walks on is. :-)

39. Gooner In Exile says:

Old enough to drink :) and I only just realised the Tavern does Ale….London Pride please barman….

40. evonne says:

take it easy lad, it’s going to be a long, long night

Did anyone ever wonder where the word “Mascara” comes from?

The answer is this “Más” which means more in Spanish.

And “Cara” means face.

“Máscara” More face.

Yes, I am walking around in circles waiting until it is time to leave for the game.

Love that comment from Dandan

GIE could be right, alcohol might just be the answer.

43. Gooner In Exile says:

LB You know where to find us :)

Evonne I am pacing myself as I have a long drive home so can only have one…..two at a push….big bloke and it’ll be several hours before I drive. If not I’m coming round for a sobering coffee.

44. Hello
    Chin up ladies and gents I’m confident we will send Wigan down tonight.
    Any thoughts on AW becoming the next man city manager as he sold a few players to city.
    Sheep

45. Gooner In Exile says:

Sheep it’s as much a possibility as him going to Marseille to manage.

46. I have to watch the game tonight upstairs with 4 cans as the wife can’t understand why I shout at the tv when arsenal play.

She doesn’t understand she’s from Canvey Island , say no more !

47. William McGoonagal says:

ArsenalWigan Athletic
    23(5) Shots (on goal) 15(7)
    16 Fouls 15
    9 Corner kicks 3
    1 Offsides 3
    64% Time of Possession 36%
    2 Yellow Cards 3
    0 Red Cards 0
    5 Saves 4

This is how this fixture played out last season, not quite how I remembered it. Two unforced errors and an injury to Artetta put Wigan 2-up early, the foul count is confusing,I recall Wigan wasting a lot of time going down easily and playing dead toward the end( EEK!Do Arsenal have to form another guard of honour?)

48. VCC says:

Sheep….good old Essex Girl.

49. GunneN5 says:

TEAM NEWS: Gibbs back for Wigan clash

Kieran Gibbs has been named in the Arsenal side for Tuesday night’s vital clash against Wigan Athletic.

The England international missed the game against QPR with a minor thigh injury but returns in place of Nacho Monreal, who is on the bench.

Elsewhere, Lukasz Fabianski is named on the bench after returning from the rib injury he sustained against Norwich City on May 13.

Team in full: Szczesny, Sagna, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Gibbs, Rosicky, Arteta, Ramsey, Walcott, Cazorla, Podolski

Subs: Fabianski, Vermaelen, Jenkinson, Monreal, Wilshere, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Gervinho

Copyright 2013 The Arsenal Football Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to http://www.arsenal.com as the source14 May 2013

50. ——> is upstairs .
    Good old Essex VCC
    Much love

51. evonne says:

Micky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Corner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

52. Adrian says:

What a cheeky header by Podolski

Is it full time yet?

Great defensive work by Theo.

55. No 28 mins gone g5

You must be wrong Sheep I’ve burnt enough acid for two games,

Oh fuck !!

58. Adrian says:

Are you for real..

Is who for real?

60. Shard says:

And there you have the Mike Dean effect. Not just the goal, but how it rattles the Arsenal players because they know what he’s like.

We never, ever, make it easy for ourselves.

Lets hope that AW has a real pep em up talk at half time.

It’s in AW’s hands now, he has to motivate the team and if necessary make early attacking substitutions.

we have Jack, Grevinho and Oxlade on the bench just raring to go.

62. dialsquare says:

Pathetic defending

63. Hendongunner says:

How I wish Bin laden had blown this Mike Dean sh&t away!

64. Manthan says:

Was that a freekick??

65. double98 says:

Mike Dean, spur’s Howard Webb

Wilshere should replace Ramsey to give us more creativity, although he is always a red card risk.

Gervinho should replace Podolski, who other than the goal has been ineffective.

If we need more pace and energy then Oxlade should replace Arteta with 15 minutes left.

67. Manthan says:

I am really scared after 1-1 :( :( :( God Please Save us!!!!!

68. Red Arse says:

Arsenal reverted to the stuttering team I so dislike, in the last 20 minutes of the first half.

That said, the curse of Dean has shown its ugly face again.

69. Red Arse says:

And now the linesman is an idiot.

70. Don’t panic long way to go

Walcott is playing his heart out today.

72. Listen to sleepy 3-1

73. Adrian says:

What a finish by podolski.

74. It’s not over yet one more and it is

What a gem Santi is 3 goals 3 assists.

Sheep to keep their hopes alive Wigan have to score 3 goals in the last 20 minutes .

Oops now it’s FOUR.

77. Game over bye bye Wigan .
    SHEEP TOLD U

78. Adrian says:

Great finish by Ramsey too! Would love to see Pod get a hattrick tho.

79. No chance g5 more chance me being Queer
    Much love

80. Shard says:

No hop skip jump from Dean this time :)

The Dean effect = ineffectual!!!!

82. I like Ramsey but I’m buyast I’m welsh

83. evonne says:

I like Ramsey too, but I am also biased I’m a Gunner

84. evonne says:

may I draw your attention to my own comment at 4:44? Clever girl :)

85. Ok I’m off now catch you all unbalanced arsenal fans tomorrow.
    I told u we will do it ask Nike say ,Just do it ,
    Much love and goodnight
    Sheep Hagger ™

86. Manthan says:

Wigan is the first Team in History of PL who will get relegate after winning FA Cup,,,,,

Yes Evonne, you were right Cockfosters is very posh these days?

88. Hendongunner says:

Wouldn’t surprise mr if dean gave 20 minutes added time.

89. Hendongunner says:

What planet is Paul Jewel on? The 4-1 score flatters as Wigan were the best maybe last Saturday but not tonight.

90. Shard says:

I thought Walcott showed good commitment to the cause today. Worked hard, and did well in the attack.

On Canadian TV, Tony Adams is the analyst, nice to listen to him, still very pro Arsenal.

92. evonne says:

oh yes GN5, very posh indeed. I sometimes claim to live in Cockfosters rather than in Oakwood :)

I am soooooooo happy :) Great solid display of excellent team work. Job well done boys!

93. goonerjake says:

Wigan sorry to see you go down… but please can you take Dean with you

Just kidding you Evonne, your calming words @4:44 were bang on.

MInd you when I used to visit Cockfosters it was a council estate, but quite a pleasant, one as council estates went.

No managers in Manchester – who would have predicted that?

Jake, Mike Dean gave it his best shot today, but his influence over Arsenal seems to be waning.

Oops. I don’t enjoy talking to myself – so I’m off.

Bye……………………………………..

Just back from a Bruce concert. What a man!

Very very happy about the result. Not seen the game yet and looking forward to watching it on Arseplayer tomorrow.

Didit. Prepare the hamper. The Pod has found his scoring boots!

Every player did his job tonight, I am very proud to be an Arsenal supporter.

Evening all, fantastic result :) …….. text plea from peaches on her way back from the game “can we have a volunteer for the match report please”

Also can someone confirm who got the 4 assists this evening

Unlikely as it may sound, if we win by 2 or more goals against Newcastle and Chelsea lose or draw against Everton, we would finish 3rd.

103. weedonald says:

Big Raddy…your brilliant childish plan to suck the air out of the Wigan penalty area would in fact be counter-productive, for the following reasons:

1) Everyone near the goal area would be suffocated or blown into the net, thus preventing a football from entering.
    2) The Wigan fans could all blow towards their penalty area, thus counter-acting the Gooners’ turbo effect.
    3) Dean would be absolutely enthralled to have such a blow job from Arsenal fans, as he is definitely a closet group sex enthusiast.
    4) Too many AFC pseudo fanboys would be busy whining and criticizing Wenger and the BOD and not have enough breath left to add any impact to the vacuum effect.

Anyway, as it happens, we didn’t need any help from the referee or divine intervention to send Wigan on their way down to the Championship. One more win and we’re once again in the top 4!

104. I told you we’d spank them

Rasp,

Cazorla definitely had 3 and I’m pretty sure that Gibbs assisted on Ramsey’s goal.

Thanks GN5 :P

107. I was in a pub full of twats supporting Wigan. I’m glad they are down. I’d rather it was stoke though

Well done the lads!

Just do it one more time…

Rasp
    Santi got all four assists! Quite an achievement.

109. Gooner In Exile says:

Evening all, just stopped at services, saw a very very miserable looking Spud fan…..I tried hard but I couldn’t help but smile.

Good win, the crowd gave plaudits to Theo for the second goal but really it was all about Santi, best cross/pass of the night, and we were in need of that bit of quality.

Very pleased for Rambo, and two good finishes from Pod.

Finally well played to Arsenal fans near me, firstly excellent support tonight particularly second half. Some great noise in there tonight. Secondly because we clapped Wigan heartily and their 300 or so fans as they joined in their mutual despair.

I managed to stop a small exodus around me when with ten minutes to go and people leaving I decided to proclaim that “these tickets can’t be expensive enough leaving with that long to go” (although the two next to me then stood up and left…which brought smiles from most others around me who stayed til the end).

The final straw was when the stadium announcer explained that the players would do a lap of appreciation at the final whistle to thank us for our support, most fans applauded this even those walking down the stairs to the exit….oh the irony.

110. Gooner In Exile says:

If we beat Newcastle 2-1 and Chavs draw 0-0 with Everton we will need to have a play off with Chavs for 3rd and 4th

111. Rob Lucchi says:

Cazorla assist all 4 goals

112. Rob Lucchi says:

Cazorla assist to Walcott for the second goal was just pure genius. The weight, the speed, the accuracy of the ball,, what a player.

113. dialsquare says:

Ramsey first league goal of the season.

Morning all,

We still need a match report today – or maybe just some player ratings to spark debate

Morning all.
    Brilliant result.
    I’m claiming three “assists”. I was in a Restaurant, and decided to pop outside at 10:15 ish local time and see how the lads were doing. Followed the game for all of 10 mins, and three goals!
    What a lovely stress free evening :-)

Raddy

If Pod scores two (?) on the last day to topple Olly from top spot, I’ll be so happy to send you a hamper as it will certainly mean we have pipped Spuds on the final day of the season :-)

Apologies to others. Raddy and I have the Hamper Bet on who out of Pod and Olly will score the most.

Here’s a rather sad thought.

Spuds at home on the last season will probably win with ease only to have the news filter through that after leading the Gunners for the entire campaign will lose out on the final day.

When I say “sad”, I mean…… :-)

119. Gooner In Exile says:

Rasp I’m doing one.

120. Red Arse says:

Bit too much info, GIE, :-)

121. Gooner In Exile says:

More info…..I’m done :)

RA
    Nice to know your wit is still razor sharp
    ROLF

123. evonne says:

oh when the spurs
    Oh when the spurs
    oh when the spurs
    go marching out
    I wanna be on that number
    Oh when the spuds go feck themselves

Sorry about the language, but I cannot get the tune out of my head

Aaron Ramsey – delighted for the lad; he worked so hard all season, he deserves a reward. And his goal was beautiful, took his time, showed composure and skill. Top drawer, good lad, love him

124. evonne says:

I would like a playoff for 3rd against the Chavs. I reckon we could beat them, that would be sweeeet

Should Wenger stick with Podolski against Newcastle or bring Giroud back?

A big question and a hamper at stake which makes it all that more interesting.

126. Gooner In Exile says:

LB a question I ask at the end of today’s match report, not an easy one, not time to experiment or change a winning side. Replacing Arteta suitably is the bigger issue…

GIE

Why? Is Arteta definately out for Newcastle?

on Arteta’s substitution…

“he is not alright, he pulled his calf so that could be a problem for Sunday. We don’t know, we have to wait for 24 hours. He is a massive doubt for Sunday. He is very important, that is why i don’t rule him out at the moment. maybe we will have to push Wilshere in [if he doesn't make it]. I don’t know.” (Wenger)

129. Red Arse says:

For those of us not having a lovely restaurant meal, :-) but glued to the TV screen because it is agony not to watch, it was also agony watching what was a strange performance.

The start was just what we were hoping for. Free flowing football, and an early goal. Ace.

Then we allowed Wigan to return to the excellent footie they showed last Saturday, and we were scratching around trying to stop them.

This was not helped by a strange performance by Dean, and altho’ I am not a conspiracy believer, his decisions do look very obtuse, from an Arsenal fans’ perspective.

The second half was more even, but we at least started to attack better, with Saint Santi and my nemesis Theo playing splendidly, and the goal tap was turned on.

Delighted the necessary result was achieved, but a little sorry for a very spirited Wigan. I would prefer Newcastle or Sunderland or Stoke to have gone down instead.

Morning
    Well the media focus was all on Wigan and how tired they were after their monumental FA Cup win yet Martinez decided to field the same side.
    The game reminded me of so many this season were we shot out of the blocks,scored one and couldn’t capitalise on that, Wigan grew on confidence and though I generally don’t like to get involved with stats about refs,Dean definitely seemed to favour Wigan with free kicks and i am not sure that the free kick against Arteta was justified.

Very grateful of the three points and if things went pear shaped on Sunday and we lost don’t worry Spurs would only draw then my prediction that we would get fourth on goal difference would really hurt them.

I still feel we need a striker and it was noticeable that the OX was preferred to Gervinho in the latter stages of the game.

Stat: Podolski is the most subbed player in the PL this season.

I thought when fit Gibbs has to be first choice, Kos was immense and Walcott has improved further.

I enjoy my pre New Post comments as hardly anyone ever reads them or comments :)

132. Red Arse says:

Good Morning to the Ignored Realist! :-)

133. Morning kelsey, nice to have you join in :)

One down, one to go. I was so pleased for Rambo that he scored at last.

It was weird that Dean seemed to be giving us the decisions until he had the chance to give Wigan a massive leg-up …. I was expecting Wigan to be awarded a penalty sometime in the second half but luckily that didn’t happen.

Excellent feeling walking away from the ground last night although I was soaked to the skin and freezing cold :(

134. Shard says:

Yaay. A 4-1 victory. What’s with this talk of a possible playoff with Chelsea? WOuldn’t they simply go to a head-to-head record before requiring a playoff or any such thing?

PS. Did anyone see this at the start of the season?

135. ……. and exhale …………….

New Post ………………….

136. Gooner In Exile says:

Shard apparently not according to EPL rules.

Chavs have a post season tour of US planned, would be ROLF if a playoff cost them :D