A False Hero

Firstly, BR would like to congratulate Sir Alex and his team upon yet another Premiership title. Well played – you have been the best team this season showing remarkable consistency and efficiency.

OK, that’s out the way :-)

Would Salford have won it without our craven submission over the traitor? Who knows, but Mancini insists this player was the difference and he knows more about football than I do. What is clear is that he has had another great season and achieved his ambitions; more money and a PL medal, but in the process lost any dignity or respect he once had.

Unknown-1

No Explanation Necessary

From a personal point of view I found watching the Dutchman score against us at Old Toilet one of the most painful of my footballing experiences, but I don’t want this post and today’s discussion to be all about one man. Man Utd at home is always one of our biggest games and today is no different.

Should there be a Guard of Honour? Definitely, we would expect one if it was the other way round.

I love this game – win,draw or lose. The tension, the rivalry, the battle between efficiency and artistry, it is all so blood-pumpingly exciting. Win today and we are well on our way to Europe, lose and we have problems.

Will United be less enthusiastic than normal? Can you imagine SAF telling his team that today doesn’t matter because we have achieved our season’s target? Beating Arsenal at any time is important to the red-conked Sweaty (cockney rhyming slang) and despite a softening of attitude Wenger and he are hardly mates.

Have we got the team to beat the Champions? If all our lads turn up then definitely. We know what to expect from MU – rotational fouling early in the game on both Santi and Jack, a closing down of Theo (whom Evra has in his pocket most games) and counter-attacking football.

My Team:

arse v manu

Losing Giroud for three games following a poor refereeing decision and an even more ludicrous FA tribunal could be costly. OG may not be scoring of late but he remains the fulcrum of our attack. His absence will allow Podolski to finally get his chance in the middle but perhaps it will be Theo. Who knows?

Knowing SAF’s propensity to pack the midfield we will need to play the 4-4-2 AW has used over the past few games. I have to say that I am not  a fan, and believe we play better with a 4-3-3. We need a big game from Wilshire but more than that we need a referee who will protect him from the SAF hackers.

Today’s English Explorer:  This series has concentrated on explorers who spent their time finding new lands but there are also those who explore by going up and today we have another of our finest, but almost unknown, heroes. Bill Tilman (1898-1977).

Unknown

Not a False Hero.

Major Harold William Tilman CBE, DSO, MC and Bar was both a sailor and mountaineer and as you can guess from his decorations, a warrior. At 18 he went to war and fought at the Battle of the Somme, by war’s end he had received the Military Cross for bravery twice. Bill started his climbing career in Africa, climbing both Mount Kenya and Kilimanjaro. Rather than fly home he chose to cycle from East to West Africa!

After another war and more medals (he was at Dunkirk), Bill took on his life challenge which was of course the Himalayas. Starting with Everest (reaching 27,00ft, which was the highest any man had stood until the ’50’s) he was the first to summit numerous Himalayan peaks. Tilman then took up deep sea sailing and went both to the Antarctic and Arctic in search of new challenges and peaks to climb. In his 80th year he tried to climb Smith Island in the South Atlantic. On the journey back to Rio de Janeiro his ship sank with the loss of all hands.

Now that is the spirit we need today.

Another massive game. The return of a man who not so long ago was a hero. A Top 4 battle. Exciting times.

COYRRG

Big Raddy

111 Responses to A False Hero

1. Morning all and thanks for your PM Big Dandy, the king of pre matches. As usual I look at the arrival of Fergiescum’s abhorent a***holes with a fair amount of trepidation and will be happy with a draw. I really hope Wenger has a tactical masterstroke up his sleeve as I believe that is generally not his strongest managerial quality. Our boys must not get into a “rope a dope” scenario otherwise we will struggle. Anyway I’ll mentally give the Old Toilet scumbuckets the middle finger salute everytime I think of them today, more than usual. UTA!

2. Reddawn says:

Why be cynical! This is a great chance for the Arsenal club and supports to put on a real display of solidarity and occasion. This stadium is our Coliseum, in which our gladiators and supporters need to show respect to those who we intend to put to the sword. Remember, a gladiator would honour one who he is about to dispatch, with a swift clean death. When Maximus Wenger leads his men out onto the field of battle against Commodus Ferguson, let it be in the knowledge that our gladiators will swiftly dispatch those barbarians from up north.

I expect a certain dignity from a Big Raddy.
    I got it. Thank you.
    I agree about the 4-3-3, otherwise we simply don’t get the best out of Santi.
    Damn it, only three Explorers left after today. They have provided wonderful additions to your posts. To be missed :-(

4. Gooner In Exile says:

Where is everyone? Hiding behind sofas or enjoying the pre match sunshine?

What do I want today? 3 points obviously…..but more importantly I want us to take the field showing a belief that we can win. Too often this season we have gone out in games against Top 4 competitors with a look of a team destined to lose and given a performance to match. The exception was Man City away (yes I even think home to Spuds the players had read too much media trashing). Hopefully they have kept away from the papers this week as most pundits are claiming top 4 is ours once again. I personally feel we have a long way to go before we can relax, and that starts today.

Quality prematch as ever Raddy, although I wouldn’t have bothered with the congratulations. As for the team Pod has to start in the middle, but I would consider benching Theo until Pod’s customary 70 minute withdrawal

Morning all 5:15am here.

I`ll read your report in a while Raddy.

But, in the meantime, I just wanted to say that on reflection and even after dandan`s incredibly sensible and praise worthy approach towards today’s events and the guard of honour – I still hope that RVP gets tripped up on the way through and that somebody finds an appropriate place to bury the hatchet.

I feel so much better now.

6. Norfolk Gooner says:

Good morning to you all,

Great pre-match Raddy, as always.

Not sure I agree with your choice of an explorer, the old boy failed to get to the summit of Everest then attempted to scale a mountain on Smith Island before sinking without trace in the South Atlantic. A couple too many negative connotations for my liking. :-0

7. Norfolk Gooner says:

:-)

In other words, Norfolk, Major Harold William Tilman CBE, DSO, MC and Bar was a Loser outside The Theatre of War :-)

9. Norfolk Gooner says:

Mickey,

I’m not in any way decrying the gallant gentleman’s career. It’s just that the idea of failing to reach the summit on a couple of occasions and then sinking without trace is a liitle to close to home for comfort. ;)

10. A very big reason for United to look for three points at The Emirates…
    …Man Utd chase Premier League points record

Manchester United could finish with a record total of 96 points should they win their remaining four games.

Chelsea currently hold the record, accumulating 95 points under Jose Mourinho in the 2004-05 season.

… … …info BBC … … …

BALL BREAKINGLY GOOD NEWS

Liveonlinefooty/Bitscores is back!!!
    Use your old log-in things here:

Off for swim and lunch, back for The Victory :-)

12. Big Raddy
    1st paragraph spot on.

“…but I don’t want this post and today’s discussion to be all about one man.”
    Me too. He’s gone, he ain’t coming back. get over it everyone!

“Will United be less enthusiastic than normal?”
    Good question. I was actually hoping that United wouldn’t beat Villa a few days ago. That is, I was hoping they would be looking to win the League today at The Emirates. Why?
    Because they might have been edgy regarding a possible defeat or draw. Yes, it’s still Fergie’s United but the real pressure is off.
    Would Fergie tell his boys to “relax and have some fun” ?
    I doubt it, but if they were to score first, then maybe.

I fear that today they may well prove more dangerous playing with their ‘foot off the pedal’ than if the title wasn’t already won.

13. GunnerN5. says:

Another record that Ferguson will want to record is the most wins in a PL season. Currently Chelsea hold the record with 29 wins in 2004/5 & 2005/6. United already have 27 so they need 3 wins out of 4 to gain the record.

What is also surprising is that in the first 3 PL seasons there were 42 games and Chelsea’s record was set in a 38 game season and it’s still likely that United will surpass their record and set a new one of their own.

Regardless of affiliations it’s a marvelous achievement.

Reference GN5 data bases.

14. Gooner In Exile says:

Well we should make sure that they are allowed at least no chance of the points record today…..do unto others as you would like done to yourselves.

For the Invincibles ……. Hoo Hah (in a US Marine type way)

15. GunnerN5. says:

Raddy thank you for another great pre-match post, they seem to get better and better.

My son and I are going to a pub called the Mad Hatter in Mississauga to watch the game it’s about a 2 hour drive from London.They will be mostly Man U supporters but there are about 30. very rowdy, Arsenal fans, so it will be a great atmosphere.

We are going all that way because I helped to set the pub up as a football venue about 20 years ago and I remain friends with the owners and most of the patrons, so we are looking forward to a great day out – hopefully topped off with a win.

16. Red Arse says:

Hope you enjoy a great day out GN5. :-)

17. Red Arse says:

Enjoyed the Post Brandy!! :-)

But that is no surprise.

Whatever team we send out today I want them to make sure they do not to sell themselves short.

Heart = Passion = Commitment:

Those words should be the engrained into their performance today!

18. I’ve got a bad feeling about today :(

19. Red Arse says:

If you have noticed a lot of typos or even more stilted English than normal, my excuse is that I am trying, once again, to learn to touch type.

Damned difficult — and slow! :-)

20. Ian Ure Face says:

gm.
    Does it make you want to……. curl up and dry !.

Not able to blog until later, until then let’s keep the faith.

Great news about Spurs :-)

22. Ian Ure Face says:

I`m quite surprised that Manu , whilst being down ” South” , have not took that advantage and had an open top bus parade around Surrey !.

Good news …. no need to hide from peaches, GiE is writing the match report :P

Great PM Raddy, I expect no less :? I’m getting nervous now, a draw is the minimum requirement.

I have now decided that subdued polite applause is the right way to approach the guard of honour – booing would make it look like we were jealous, lets just show our class

Nice stuff Raddy

The games in the bag, in fact i think we will comfortably. Why not? we are the better team.

I know a lot of people will say the best side is the team that wins the league and i admit they have a point, but it dosnt always work like that. We have had a transitional period, that is all. Once we click we are the best side.

I dont understand Utd fans. Every time i point out were better, they try and make out ime mad or on a wind up, i insist ime neither. This tends to agravate them but its all water of a ducks back, were better and thats all there is to it.

I congratuate them on there title but were better, and deep down they know it, and i tell them that they know it, and they do.

Utd fans love this kind of reasoning, gets them all excited.

Afternoon all.
    Chelsea Swansea 0-0 at 40 mins. Nice.
    Team news?

10/11 BR :-)
    Chavs 1-0 :-(

Excellent BR

Just popping in – not even going to be able to see the game today :(

Am recording to watch later.

Teams:
    Arsenal: Szczesny, Sagna, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Gibbs, Arteta, Ramsey, Rosicky, Cazorla, Walcott, Podolski.

Subs: Mannone, Vermaelen, Wilshere, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Monreal, Jenkinson, Gervinho.

Man Utd: De Gea, Da Silva, Ferdinand, Evans, Evra, Valencia, Carrick, Jones, Nani, Rooney, van Persie.

Subs: Lindegaard, Anderson, Giggs, Hernandez, Cleverley, Kagawa, Buttner.
    by Taboola

But I think we’re going to win :)

29. evonne says:

Raddy gets all 3 points for top prematch!!

Great sportsmanship demonstrated in congratulating Them. I am a sore loser and have no intention to praise them; don’t even think they are very good.

Bill Tilman must be the longest lived explorer discovered by Raddy yet, at 80 trying to climb mountains!! What a guy!!

Right, I am as nervous as hell, not looking forward to this game at all :(

Superb pic on our old friend liveonlinefooty

31. evonne says:

Rocky – YOU ARE NOT WATCHING A GAME LIKE THAT????!!! what’s more important??

Rooney to score first is 8 to 1 now, meaning he has no chance

Shame you mentioned the chavs were nil nil Micky, they’re winning 2 nil now :(

More worried about Santi not central Rasp
    Come on you Gunnnnnnnnnners

Yessssssssssssssss

35. evonne says:

RvP tought Theo well :) looooooveely goal

TTThhhheeeeoooooooo :0) :) :) :)

Wow, some aggressive start from us
    And Santi is central :-)

38. Adrian says:

So far so good, really love the spirit and mentality of the team so far.

39. Adrian says:

My word. Absolutely love the pressing with intensity today. Our boys playing with fire in their bellies.

40. evonne says:

dirty bastards, 4 cards in 30mins
    good, that means they are frustrated
    and Fergie is not a happy bunny

41. Adrian says:

What the fk Sagna.

Wow, some half of football.
    I need some fresh air :-)

43. fester says:

Don’t ever mention Sagna again or Ramsey or Walcott criminal.

Oh dear Sagna :( at this level you can’t afford a weak link in any position

45. dandan says:

Fester, Walcott scored forgive me if I am wrong but I havnt noticed any other Arsenal player do that.

46. Reddawn says:

We got the perfect start, then threw it away. Also some very loose passing. Well what next?

47. dandan says:

A different utd in the second half, we will find it difficult, we needed a second goal

48. Gooner In Exile says:

Sagna’s season in a nutshell…..disappointed to be going in at 1-1, although dont think we have done enough to force the second goal. Just before United scored it appeared that the handbrake had been applied, too many slow attacks.

49. dandan says:

GIE if the jungle drums are to be believed Sagna is on his way this summer.

50. Gooner In Exile says:

Out of contract and no renewal….maybe old ruthless Arsene is back….TR7 awarded new contract because as we can see he still had a role. Jenkinson will start next season and I wouldn’t bet against a 28 year old journeyman to come play second fiddle.

Now Jack on, next sub choice is tricky
    One point is so much better than none from this fixture

Mind you, I say Ox on for all three :-)

53. Adrian says:

Seems to me we’re playing worse without Eosicky. And why not the ox instead of Gervinho for Poldi with walcott in the middle?

Ok then Arsene, Gerv on for all three then

Damn this is exciting
    Come on Arsenal

Oh yessss
    The Ox :-)

57. Adrian says:

Fking hell Sagna.

58. Adrian says:

Ffs Sagna. Not a loss but still, it was our chance to wipe that smug off RVP’s face. Not a loss but haven’t felt this disappoiinted in a while. Fk it.

59. Adrian says:

Perfect start and we were bossing till Sagna’s mistake. Before that Man Utd were hardly in the game. Second half and they were arguably the better side.

60. Gooner In Exile says:

So who wants to see Podolski play at centre forward again?

Great game. Point was fair outcome.
    Will it be enough for us? Well, if we play with that spirit, then yes.

62. dandan says:

Gie Chelsea to beat the spuds and we settle for fourth?

63. Gooner In Exile says:

Adrian, team for team performance we matched them….the costly mistake was ours…as it so often has been this season. That United have not given away a penalty in the PL this season could be seen as something untoward, but if you get a chance to watch them in the second half they only slid in when a shot was going to be fired.

Sagna’s pass was bad enough and made much worse by the attempted tackle. Absolutely no need to try and dispossess him running wide at full speed and running out of pitch.

Although I do think he got the dein test touch on the ball anywhere else on the pitch it would be a foul.

Positives were our much derided (from outside) centre back pair of BFG and Koz didn’t really give RvP a kick. BFG took up great positions all afternoon (unnoticed by Sky comnentators) and Kozzer put in a dynamic centre halfs display.

Where we lacked was the legs and heart to make their defenders struggle….Giroud in that respect offers more than Pod.

64. fester says:

dandan you mug Walcott was offside and the keeper blundered

Hi dandan,
    Hope all well with you.

66. Gooner In Exile says:

DD we have to hope Fergie and players respect the chase for CL as much as they did today….as with Chelsea having a trip to OT before end of season we may not need Chelsea to win that one against Spuds. Right now it’s out of our hands and all we can do is kick on to win our remaining games and what will be will be.

dandan
    You are a Mug……apparently ROLF

68. fester says:

Walcott clueless, can’t pass or cross, can’t even utilise his pace to any great effect. Abject performance, blame lays squarely at Wenger’s door.

Ramsey ****

69. dandan says:

HI GIE And Micky will go and stand in the corner as befits a mug of such epic proportions :-)

70. Irishgunner says:

Not the worst result in the world – we need to win our final 3 games and it’d be extra nice if the Chavs beat the Spuds and then the Chavs lose to Everton, Mancs and get all caught up in the Europa League where they get beat in the final….

Our toughest game will be Wigan (hopefully Newcastle will be safe by the last day of the season) but we have the luck of playing them 3 days after the FA Cup Final so hopefully they have a hangover whether they lose or draw … and of course Martinez has the headache of what team to pick there and it could upset his players who will all want to play at Wembley but the club will want to stay in the EPL.

71. dandan says:

Lets just hope the fester doesnt turn to septicemia that would spoil his day

72. Shard says:

GAAAAAAAHHHHHhhhhhhh Sagna!!!

Apart from that, well done Arsenal. A good performance. Hopefully we’ll have enough to get CL again, and then can add the little bit extra that we’re missing.

73. fester says:

dandan you dork we can’t even turn over an average Team

74. Ian Ure Face says:

fester

Verb : To become septic ; to become rotten.

Sounds about right !.

75. fester says:

All these must be off loaded Ramsey, Walcott, Gibbs, Chamberlain, Jenkinson, Arteta, Sagna, Szczesny and all those out on loan.

Disappointed to lose 2 points but we did better than last season.

Fester. If you continue to insult our bloggers you will be banned. Last warning.

77. fester says:

IN ARSENE WE RUST

78. William Mcgoonagal says:

There’s a job for it on talksh!t radio methinks! gingerpubes afterbith perhaps?

79. fester says:

You ain’t got the bottle to ban me

80. Shard says:

How do you know that fester? Have you got that bottle stuck up your rear? It certainly sounds like it.

81. Gooner In Exile says:

No point banning him Raddy just let him ramble on and show him for the imbecile he is.

We can keep him as a pet, like a quarantine while he is still waiting entry to the rest of blog society.

82. Ian Ure Face says:

IN FESTER WE ROT

“Keep him as a Pet”
    That is absolutely perfect :-)
    Genius GiE ROLF ROLF
    Release Fester I say

GIE. You mean like The Gimp in Pulp Fiction?

Utd an “average team” he he
    Bless Fester

Evening all, Fester is history. It wasn’t specky, just someone else equally pathetic

Can someone confirm who got the assist for the goal – I’m assuming Rosicky?

Rosicky Rasp.

89. fester says:

Fester the jester

He’s escaped!!!
    Are you going to be grown up now?

91. Red Arse says:

I would happily have taken a draw before the game, but I am surprisingly disappointed not to have won.

Sagna has not played as well as he is capable of this season — pity. Is he being distracted by his contract negotiations do you think?

RA. I feel the same about the game and yet proud that we stood up to them and showed from the off that we would not be bullied.

I think MU will consider it a point gained.

Some think that Sagna is a poor player because he makes a mistake ignoring the extremely high standard Bacary has achieved over his AFC career.

True, he is not as good as two or three seasons ago but he remains class act.

It never ceases to amaze me that so many believe they know than AW about the squad whom he works with every day. If Jenkinson were a better bet than Sagna he would start, the fact is that Mr Wenger prefers Bacary and probably with good cause.

93. mikel says:

Sagna did Ok still in top 4

94. Gooner In Exile says:

Great we have a ban dodger :( how sad that a blogger needs to employ software or web service to get round being identified on the web. And how sad that they think it is enough to stop them being traced. One day they’ll make a mistake and be traced all the way home. Not that anything said here today has been worth tracing, but one threatening message to the wrong person and well it won’t take authorities long.

95. Red Arse says:

That’s fine BR, it is difficult to argue with your comment because it is just an opinion, although I cannot answer for the many others you mention that seem to disagree . :-)

Just to be clear, are you suggesting we should not express any opinions on AA regarding players relative performances in case they may conflict with Mr Wenger’s?

96. Red Arse says:

Oh, now you have tipped him off, GIE!!

97. johnny says:

Good game today although sagnas error could prove costly come the end of the season.

98. I’ve just seen the penalty incident again. It didn’t look it at the time either, dowd is a wanker

99. neamman says:

Watched the game in yangon. God bless Myanmar TV, They appeared to have reserved a channel just for this game, otherwise there doesnt seem to be anything on it.

Morning all,

Away again in a short while, so not around until I get to yet another hotel tonight :-(

If I have a doom thought from yesterday, then it is the question: “Where would we be if we had played with that level of intensity in all games?”.

Now that is out of the way, it is a very exciting finale to the season, and I see no reason why we cannot get top four. There will be more twisters and turners from all three teams in the hunt.

Last point, many people have said that this is not a particularly strong Utd Team that have walked the Prem, but the thing that strikes me most about them, is how physically strong and imposing they are in almost all positions.

It does support my theory of how we need a big ‘un at DM.

102. Manthan says:

Morning all,

I wonder Why people says this is not he strong MANU team.. They fielded a great team but arsenal was more desperate for win even our substitution was very attacking unlucky not to get 3 points. Sagna was lucky to escape second booking in second half it was one more yellow. I am really impressed with this team if we play with same intensity next season we are contenders of at least winning a trophy. Kozz and scez were world class

103. Manthan says:

One thing I want to convey about BSR is eventough booing from crowd he didn’t celebrated.. He is not like other player who left arsenal (Adeboyer,nasri,cashley)

104. Gooner In Exile says:

Morning Micky, It’s a fair point physicality but I think we matched them yesterday with character and resolve, there were not many occasions where we were pushed off the ball looking for a free kick that didnt come. And in fact Rambo’s perfect textbook shoulder charge put the boot on the other foot for a moment.

I think many old pros have forgotten what a shoulder charge is, shoulder to shoulder, no tipping of the body shoulders at equal height and lean, and when running alongside not coming in from the side, Rambo arced his run so as to be running in the same direction when contact was made and he cleanly took the ball away.

I will save more opinions for my match report….which is in drafts Peaches/Rasp.

105. I’ve read a lot about the mancs “only playing 65%” and “not at their best” yesterday. I think they played exactly how they’ve played a lot of their games yesterday. They really aren’t special.

This summer we won’t lose any high profile players except possibly Sagna. If we buy 2 or 3 very good players I think we’ll be making some progress.

The guard of honour was a damp squib that was over before you knew it.

had a great time with Peaches, gooner B and Chas’ brother.

Dowd was shocking as he always is

106. Shard says:

Manthan,

I disagree about the lack of celebration. That is supposed to be a show of respect. The way he strutted about with his chest puffed up was anything but a show of respect to the crowd. He could have celebrated more I suppose. But in my view, to do that would have been more honest. Just like his statement would have been honest without the ‘you guys’ and the false allegations contained in it.

Morning all, good to see you yesterday GM. Time was a bit tight yesterday and I didn’t get on to comment so I must give Raddy a belated well done for his PM. Will reserve more comments for GIE’s eagerly anticipated match report.

GM that link report is hilarious. For some reason as I was reading it my mind switched to reading it with a very broad dutch accent. You should try it that way it is even more funny. What is perhaps even funnier is that so many bloggers were actually trying to seriously critique it panning the writer for his poor use of English. Open day at the idiot farm I think.

Morning all, everything to play for now, win our last 3 and we’ll finish 3rd :P ……

…. New post …….

110. In this post, I’d like to help you keep going when you are a home user isn’t
    only stored in a remote location and move part of
    the data have overall control over their information.
    Paragon Software provides technology to a host of servers and tools.
    Data storage is increasing at rate that is difficult
    or even impossible to imagine any business operating without the
    use of a computer crash, and it basically does away with intervention
    on the user’s part.