Guard of Honour?????

A Guard of Honour for the newly crowned Premier League champions?

Arsenal Football club have intimated that the home players will line up as a Guard of Honour to welcome the new Champions onto the pitch prior to Sunday’s match.

The decent thing to do? Or, given the antipathy towards United in general and a certain Dutchman in particular, a provocation to the frustrated Arsenal faithful?

There have been suggestions that the fans should stand with their backs turned and in silence, this could prove to be embarrassingly ineffective unless the vast majority of those present took part. There will no doubt be a number of fans who will boo and in other ways express their contempt for the new Champions, as is their right.

Back in 1991 when Arsenal won the old League title our opponents for the final game of the season lined up to clap the new Champions onto the pitch, that demonstration of respect was organised by the away clubs manager a certain Alex Ferguson.

It is by no means an established tradition to provide a Guard of Honour, although it has been done on a few occasions. United have three more games to play after Sunday, will Chelsea, Swansea and West Bromwich be expected to honour United? If so where does it end? Does it carry on through next season until all the other Premiership sides have had their chance?

Frankly I’ve grown tired of the so called pre-match ceremony, teams marching out together, lining up and shaking each others hands in a totally meaningless ritual, particularly as it is often marred by one player or another refusing to shake the hand of an opponent over some perceived slight or previous disagreement ……

On Sunday afternoon and in all future matches let’s just get on with the game.

Written by Norfolk Gooner

91 Responses to Guard of Honour?????

1. CURRENCE says:

RVP will scuttle Arsenal ambition of getting a champions league slot. He will score against his former club as he is unstoppable. Why did the businessman AW sold him to his rival?

2. Norfolk Gooner says:

Welcome currence, you may well be right and the Dutchman may score and his goal/goals could make the difference, but have you no comment on the actual post.

3. peaches Mum says:

Absolutely right. What a load of pretentious rubbish to have to pretend to admire the team that is top of the hate list.
    And we don’t like R v P anymore.!!!!!!!

4. Norfolk Gooner says:

I’ll agree with that, but then who would dare to disagree with Peaches’ mum!! :D

5. Double98 says:

Let the players give the honour, let it stick in their throats and motivate them to win the match and also to stand up and count next season.
    Let The players see a team of individuals, one by one file past, let them see, evra, giggs, valencia etc take the applause, let them realise that none of whom is better (except the greedy badger) than they.
    Let their ambition out as a team, not as individuals.

Let the fans be silent and not boo or applaud. Lets us just bear witness to the moment our boys become men.

6. Red Arse says:

Well done, NG, on producing a Post and saving the day! :-)

I have a certain sympathy with your contention, but it is a sad reflection on society, as you say, that something akin to saying ‘well done’ to the victors has become so tribal, whatever club is involved.

There are many examples of behavioural ‘tradition’ in sport going back to Roman gladiatorial circuses, where a thumb up or down dictated life or death or where a simple salute honoured the victor.

In modern times, the traditional pre-game opener that has always fascinated me is the New Zealand/Maori haka, which is very symbolic of derring do, and a manly, tongue rolling, gesture filled, respectful challenge to the opposition.

Because these traditions are no longer seen that way, in football, I think the pre-match ‘respectful’ handshake is a nonsense, as the players – most of them – intend to dive and cheat as soon as the opportunity presents itself.

Disappointing — but that’s modern life.

Well said Double98. They gave us a guard of honour and we should do the same. It would make us look very small if we failed to respect the tradition.

I shan’t be there tomorrow, but if I was, I would turn my back if RvP walked out, otherwise I’d just watch but keep silent.

8. max says:

We deserve the humilation. Let the world see what we are, where we are, a mediocre club unable to challenge for honours.

9. Norfolk Gooner says:

Gotta go! Taking my grandson skiing (dry slope not the real thing). Back later.

10. Inspiring stuff Double98, can we cheer our own onto the pitch and then fall silent when the manks appear? If BSR is in their starting line-up then the ground will be filled with boos I expect.

I agree with NG that the pre-match handshake is a load of nonsense and many players have said the same thing. This guard of honour stuff doesn’t work either, why should an opposition ground have to applaud the champions??? They’re going to play to their own supporters before the end of the season – they’ll get enough love there ;)

dandan,

A family friend has aspergers and he really doesn’t feel that Suarez displays the symptoms of the syndrome.

Here are the typical symptoms.

………………………………………………………………………….

Engaging in one-sided, long-winded conversations, without noticing if the listener is listening or trying to change the subject,

Displaying unusual nonverbal communication, such as lack of eye contact, few facial expressions, or awkward body postures and gestures.

Showing an intense obsession with one or two specific, narrow subjects, such as baseball statistics, train schedules, weather or snakes.

Appearing not to understand, empathize with or be sensitive to others’ feelings.

Having a hard time “reading” other people or understanding humor.

Speaking in a voice that is monotonous, rigid or unusually fast
    Moving clumsily, with poor coordination.

Norfolk,

I’m really at a crossroads with the guard of honour. I’m not even sure how long it has been a “tradition”?

However I do like the idea of being respectful but it just seems wrong to salute Man U and RVP.

I know people think that we should bury the hatchet – well so do I, and I know just where I would like to see it buried!

Peaches/Rasp – Have you got any answers for me yet?

Norfolk,

Apologies to Cummings, but thank you for writing this post.

“There have been suggestions that the fans should stand with their backs turned and in silence”… really? Now I wonder which site could have started that!

I’m with RA on this one.

Guard of Honour is a pathetic term for football, but give credit where its due, clap the Tossers on, then give them a good thrashing :-)

I simply couldn’t care less where Brave plays his football or what he has won.

15. Alex Ferguson and Man Utd could not wait to give Arsenal a guard of honour in 1991 as they were so delighted that we had prevented their arch rivals, Liverpool, from winning the title.

16. weedonald says:

Tempest in a teapot….lets show them what respect means and then beat them in front of our supporters….no handbrakes, no mental issues (unlike Suarez), no half-hearted effort. the Spuds are likely to beat Wigan so we need those 3 points.

17. VCC says:

Norfolk…..that’s the most sensible logic i’ve read all week.

Why have we got to have a tunnel of love????????

Your dead right….will the other teams that ManUre have to play make the same tunnel of love? Of course they won’t.

I’m furious Wenger has agreed to make such a gesture towards one of the most hated football teams to Arsenal supporters.

In my mind Wenger has let me, and our loyal supporters down badly.

I will choke on my Fosters as I watch that game tomorrow.

We seem to have lost our balls/backbone.

18. evonne says:

oooooohhhh…you’ve opened a can of worms here Norfolk!! I don’t like United, I don’t like Fergie and I hate van Judas. I would neither give them Guard of Honour nor welcome them and their treacherous striker at the Ems. No way.

And it should be Fergie to honour the Arsenal fans and rest RvP, now that would be a sporting gesture. But will he? Will he feck!

19. goonerjake says:

We are The Arsenal, remember who you are and who you represent. It may be hard but show honour to whom its is owing. We may not like it, we may find it very difficult, but a short round of applause for Man Utd will show that we have class.

Trophies are temporary, Class is permenant.

20. fester says:

I’d rather have Trophies and we should be booing Wenger.

21. dandan says:

Welcome home Kelsey, give me a ring when you find your address book, probably at the bottom of the last packing case, hope the journey went well, for you and yours, speak soon. :-)

22. dandan says:

Good post NG. Like you I am old school, manners cost nothing and Utd are the champions and as such worthy of respect, turning your back on a man is in my opinion small minded and says more about the perpetrators than the man they are professing to ignore, RVP’s contribution has been immense for Utd. as it was for us last year. He is a class act wherever he chooses to ply his trade and as such cannot be ignored whichever way people choose to look,

dandan

You’ve made me to reconsider – I’ll take the axe out.

24. Giddy says:

Wenger needs to be shipped out of Arsenal! We don’t need him to guide us back to winning ways and even if we needed him, he won’t do that. He has just confessed that he could not convince RVP that arsenal was capable of winning a trophy why? he was not willing to sign good players that transfer window that could convince RVP. And to RVP i say it loud here, boo him 2morrow we don’t need an idiot of his kind.

25. goonerjake at 1:57 pm
    dandan at 2:13 pm

Spot on.

26. Double98 says:

Fester, giddy if you want trophies above supporting the team and manager then go support a club with owners who use the club to launder their ill gotten gains or well gotten reputations.
    Or one that is so central to the premier leagues marketing image that they get pet refs and allow there manager to dictate to the game his moral compass.

27. Norfolk Gooner says:

RA’s comment at 10.46 gave me this idea, we should welcome Manure onto the pitch with the Haka…not performed by our players off course but we should hire The All Blacks for the afternoon.

Can you imagine some of the Manchester Jessies facing up to that lot. More than a few of them will be p****g themselves and others will fall down in a dead faint. :D

28. evonne says:

oh no, the Wigan game not being shown on TV :( bad omen

29. Adrian says:

I was obviously peeved when I heard Wenger was about to continue the tradition tomorrow, but tbh that’s the only logical thing to do (or perhaps the moral high ground) since Ferguson’s United did the same for us 20+ years ago. It would be really bad press and we would look like really bad sports if we didn’t return the favour. Wouldn’t look classy either which is exactly what we’re trying to present our club as. Guess Wenger doesn’t really have a choice.

The team had better swallow this humiliation and use this as a motivation to strive for greater things next season.

30. evonne says:

I thought it was 4pm kick off, all wrong

31. Norfolk Gooner says:

Evonne

One all after forty minutes.

32. Santi Claus says:

Hard to believe that some Arsenal fans don’t show RVP the respect he deserves. Out of his 8 seasons at the club he spent the first 2 years as a squad player (still developing), in the remaining 6 out of of 4 seasons he was the clubs top goal scorer and twice Arsenal player of the year. Additionally he is the 8th highest goal scorer in Arsenals history. Yes he had injuries but how is that his fault? At least he has shown the club respect since he has left unlike Nasri and Adebayor amongst others. I say applaud him and the rest of the Mancs on Sunday, get it over and done with, get behind the boys and win the match. Of course it hurts we lost a world class player but he’s gone! Get over it and stop being so bitter.

33. fester says:

Wenger’s the villian, the man is crusty and stale just like Red Arse underpants.

34. dandan
    I respect your view but Suarez is arguably a better player than van judas. I don’t think many would want to honour him.

Great point about whether the next team will give them a guard of honour.

35. evonne says:

thanks Norfolk, found a decent stream to watch 2nd half

Santi – his injuries were not his fault, but neither were they ours. After nursing him for 6 long seasons he chose to go to the opposition and help them win the league. Bitter? Nay, I feel murderous. Spend hours wishing him a broken leg, preferably both.

36. I have far more respect for Nasri than judas

2 – 1 Wiganers ROLF

86 mins
    Hold on Wigan

88 mins

40. Adrian says:

2-2 shit shit shit.

89 own goal 2-2
    Still Hang On Harder Wigan

42. Double98 says:

We love Wigan. Now lets relegate them!!!!!!!

2-2 :-)
    Yesssssssss

44. Gooner In Exile says:

Job done Wigan…..well done the Latics….could have been better but at this stage of the season and given they no longer have games in hand that’s equivalent to losing.

I’ve changed my mind re Guard of Honour.
    I said we should clap them on, then thrash them. I now think we should give them little presents as well.
    Why annoy them? :-)

46. Norfolk Gooner says:

Only a single point for the Spuds. Are they going to blow it? Yet again!!!

Its back in our own hands. Good day at the office.

48. evonne says:

GM – me too. Nasri wasn’t our captain and didn’t feed us bullshit about little boys inside him

Not a bad result, but Wigan will try very hard against us now :(

49. I think we’ll beat Wigan evonne

Evonne
    How can you see a negative in Spuds dropping two points?
    Cheer up, its good news only :-)

Back out into the sunshine. Enjoy the moment

52. Norfolk Gooner says:

Evonne you’re a glutton for punishmment, how could you bring yourself to watch the Spuds in action, it must be the worse possible way to spend Saturday afternoon.

We love you Wigan we do, we love you Wigan we do, Oh! Wigan we love you!!!!!

53. Norfolk Gooner says:

….but only for today.

54. Micky it was always in our own hands (well finishing 4th was) as we were ahead of Chavs and Spuds and with their game in hand on us against each other only one could go above us if we won all 4. Todays result allows us one slip between now and the end of the season.

In all likelihood that will come tomorrow unless the Guard of Honour can inspire us to show ManUre that they may not have it as easy next season.

I’ll take Koscielny wiping the self satisfied grin of BSR face in the first minute thank you, don’t think BFG and Kos will give him anywhere near as easier ride as TV5 did at OT.

As for your post Norfolk and the Guard of Honour I think we have to do it, i think Wenger has to support it because if we don’t it will bring more fire against the club from the media….should we care? Yes because we need to work on our PR as a club and we should’t give them any more ammunition at the moment.

As for the fans, those in the ground can do what they like, i personally would clap our lands out, stand in silence of United when they emerge, and then roar our lads to the centre circle to give the reintroduced wave to all sides of the ground (I’m so glad we went back to this tradition despite it being taken away for a while by the pre match handshakes and line ups).

After the Spud result i’ll take a point tomorrow, it may allow Chavs to go above us but right now all we have to do is finish 4th.

55. Ok we can’t slip up tomorrow, i’ve just done my predictor, we need 12 points to be sure….although 10 could be enough. Draw or loss for Spuds today didn’t change much.

I’m rueing the 2 points dropped vs Everton though.

56. Hahaha just seen this comment by Chris Hughton…..subtle:

“We were in good form but we came up against a Stoke side that were back to their most direct. We didn’t do enough to win the game.”

57. Red Arse says:

GIE,

When you say that the Wigan result did not change much, I humbly disagree. :D

Spurs are now a point behind us, and as we have a better goal difference, our fate is in our own hands — predictor or not — whereas if Spurs had scored in the last minute they would have been a point ahead, and the reverse would have been true, even allowing for the Chelsea Spurs game.

Bloody accountants — just as bad a flipping lawyers. :D

58. Yes but we were ahead of both with them both having a game in hand, so if we win all 4 we would have 75 points.

Before todays game Chelsea could have achieved 77. Spuds could have achieved 76 points.

But because they had to play each other those totals are impossible…therefore the three possibie results of that game gave the following maximum achievables:

Draw

Arsenal 75
    Spuds 71

Spuds Win
    Arsenal 75
    Chavs 74
    Spuds 74

A loss for Spuds today would have put them on 1 point below the above, so we still need to win all 4 to be sure, and can’t afford a slip up tomorrow, although it may be a little easier to swallow. But we will then need 9 points from 9 to have any chance and then it’ll hang in the balance of others results.

60. https://twitter.com/adamgray1250/status/328178431177134080

Love this description of Aneke’s goal today, the laziest of top corner strikes :D lots of good luck messages and please come back messages from Crewe fans on twitter, seems like he has made quite an impression.

61. And fair play to Hartlepool fans this is superb:

3 and out :D

62. Adrian says:

This coutinho is currently bossing the liverpool-newcastle game, could turn out to be quite a fine player. Young, creative and technically gifted. Surprised Wenger didn’t get him, he fits all of Wenger’s criteria. Liverpool didn’t exactly break the bank to get him either.

63. evonne says:

Norfolk – not just any afternoon – it was my birthday and I was waiting for a present from Wigan :) I have a very sad life indeed…:)

64. Ian Ure Face says:

I hate this Guard of Honour crap. I feel it`s different to the time the Mancs did it for us, they hadn`t helped us by selling us their best player !.
    Do we realy have to give Rotten Vile Prickface a Guard of Honour when he showed us no honour after pampering him on a sickness table for so many years !. Honour a traitor ?, no way !.
    It would be like like coming home and catching your wife being rodgered by a Manc and having to stand there applauding him for the duration plus fergie time !.

65. VCC says:

Happy Birthday Evonne. Hope you had a lovely day.

66. evonne says:

Thanks VCC! Not a bad day, I am 18 for the 3rd time now :)
    Would have been a great present if Wigan beat the Totts, but still mustn’t complain, 2 lost points is 2 lost points :)

67. VCC says:

Evonne, I’m told you look as sexy now as you did at 18. ;-)

Very Happy Birthday yesterday Evonne.

Match Day Morning all

I cannot think of a reason why we can’t win today :-)

No high balls into the box from us today, so through their legs we shall go.

70. evonne says:

Thank you Micky! I am not really big on self-celebrations, but it is always nice to be spoilt a bit

There is only one reason I can think why we can’t win today – it has bendy legs and a treacherous gob

71. evonne says:

the league table is unbelievable this season. Except for ManU, QPR and Reading, and West Brom those above WBA can all finish in top 4 and those below them can still be relegated. Weird scenario for end of season. Could get very hot yet

Evonne

Fear not. The Elite players are “elite” because they have the extra 10%. We will nullify this by being nice to him before KO, thus blunting his Will.

Having said that, I am on standby to be seriously let down by the behaviour of my fellow Gunners. Well, the loud minority at any rate.

We like it Hot, its where the fun is :-)

Morning Cummings,
    Really hope you are still reading, an that things are back up to standard for you.

75. evonne says:

who is Cummings?

76. evonne says:

OMG, I had just seen the first Spurs goal on MotD! Even Szczesny wouldn’t be that silly

77. Red Arse says:

Morning Micky and Evonne, :-)

78. Red Arse says:

GIE,

Before I forget — I apologise for pulling your leg last evening, re the effect of the Spurs result. It was just high spirits on my part for a welcome and unexpected result! :-)

Both the Spurs goals were poor or flukes – still they could have won in the last seconds.

I knew full well you were referring to the ‘predictor’, and it did result in a neat ‘options’ table which made your comment clear, anyway.

Morning to you too, RA.

Cripes, just seen the Toon v Pool score!

Paper and milk dash.

Sorry Evonne,

Cummings is a significant contributor to this site who feels standards have slipped.
    Gutted is what I feel, and a certain amount of shame.

81. Gooner In Exile says:

RA no worries….it was late and at first I was sitting and scratching my head….so I decided to make sure I was right :D

Watching MotD last night i was disappointed at how lucky the Spuds goals were and then there was Liverpool’s 6-0. The first attack of the game saw Liverpool make 4/5 passes from front to back with acres of space to run into, at that moment you could see the result was more Newcastle’s doing than Liverpool’s, there is simply no way Pardew sends his team out that open against us….even though we tonked them at the Emirates they were not exactly open in their set up. It’s possible to say that the players have stopped playing for Pardew.

Additionally there was all the fuss about the great bargains Pardew was finding in the French league…..any takers for those players now? They played like a continental team not a PL team (ie when the game is lost they give up….unlike the English philosophy of playing until the final whistle. Rarely do you see an EPL team give up as they did yesterday. Villa and Wigan have hope that they both may avoid the drop.

To borrow from Keegan “I’d just love it if we sent them down on the last day”

82. evonne says:

Micky :)

GiE – it was pathetic from the Toons. 3 goals down and they were happily passing the ball in their half, no attempt to attack whatsoever. Poor fans, they should have their money refunded

My hopes for today rest fairly squarely on AW’s shoulders and that he plays Santi central.
    I’d love to see a front three of Gerv, Pod and Theo.
    My nastiest feeling is that we will get Arteta, Rambo, Jack and Santi shoved out wide.

Morning all ……

…. new post …..

85. Reddawn says:

Why be cynical! This is a great chance for the Arsenal club and supports to put on a real display of solidarity and occasion. This stadium is our Coliseum, our gladiators and supporters need to show respect to those who we intend to put to the sword. Remember, a gladiator would honour one who he is about to dispatch, with a swift clean death. When Maximus Wenger leads his men out onto field of battle against Commodus Ferguson, let it be in the knowledge that we will swiftly dispatch those barbarians from up north.

86. Home Page says:

Hi there, all is going fine here and ofcourse every one is sharing information, that’s actually fine, keep up writing.

87. I do not know if it’s just me or if everybody else encountering issues with
    your site. It appears as though some of the text in your content are running off
    the screen. Can someone else please comment and let me
    know if this is happening to them too? This may be a problem
    with my web browser because I’ve had this happen before.

Many thanks

88. Longchamp Sac Pas Cher Sac Planete Longchamp SXkvu Quando
    il vecchio finalmente gracchiò, l’autista del bus ha provato a parlare con la madre di abbandonare il certificato nella bara
    con il corpo in modo che egli non avrebbe dovuto
    guardare più. Ma lei ha insistito per lasciare visualizzarlo
    in salotto come un esempio di ciò che una persona può raggiungere in questa vita se
    non avesse lasciato un po ‘di indigestione ottenere nel suo
    modo. Longchamps.Fr Longchamp Sac Bandouliere xkwKn Come spesso si indossano i tacchi
    o meno, a seconda del dolore penso, mi metto i tacchi per sempre, e anche quando avevo 12
    anni, mi piace usare un paio di tacchi per i giovani,
    e anche se eravamo solo andando a cena fuori . Stiamo abituando a loro, ma può essere un dolore quelquesunes
    paticulary scarpe. Sac Longchamp Noir Pas Cher Sac Longchamp Soldes nkwpW
    Tuttavia, alcuni elementi mancano molte diabete scarpe diabete.
    Molte persone acquistano ogni diabetico dovrebbe essere l’unico, ma alcuni tra i più importanti tipi di scarpe diabetici progettati per
    essere indossati solo in casa che si può trovare un buon paio di scarpe diabetici più economico di casa preferiscono indossare le pantofole.

Sac longchamp 4×4 Sac Longchamp Pliable cOYqu No.
    Voi denti sbiancati professionalmente, macchie di destra e gli uomini continueranno eliminando le crepe.
    Prix Trousse Longchamp Pliable Longchamp uvlHE Un altro paradiso
    per i cacciatori di occasioni eh Navigli. Le donne Hkan maniglia su Eliogabaldo, Piazza Sant’Eustorgio 2 (tel.

Porte Document longchamps Besace Pliage Longchamp tpJEG Kimimaro
    è una borsa di studio il cui unico sogno è quello di evitare tutto questo e
    vivere una vita stabile come funzionario. Ma un giorno incontra
    un uomo che gli offre la possibilità di guadagnare soldi in fretta.
    Sac Longchamp Marron Sac Femme Longchamp SOGul Alcune compagnie aeree, come gli Stati, i biglietti costano 25
    dollari al telefono e fino a 35 $ per comprare, a fare acquisti in aeroporto.
    Alcune compagnie aeree pagare dovunque da $ 25 a $ 50 per la prima borsa.
    Trousse Longchamp Kate Moss Longchamps KgZhj L’evento comprenderà mestieri di festa
    e regali e anno in casa, matematica, disegni, un’asta dal vivo e silenziosa e
    intrattenimento. Ammissione all’Expo di ottobre P eh mestieri liberi.