Arsenal’s goal of the season.

Where’s The Arsenal “Goal of the Season”?

Rosicky goal

Three types of Goal of The Season:

1. “The Take That”. No, not four young gentleman who live with their mothers and like musicals. Oh no. This is the “Watch out Johnny Foreigner, we’re about to drop the Big One on you.”

2. “The Hug”. The Group Huggy, “We’re all in this together” teamwork tap in.

3. “Le Ian”. Pure Rock n’ Roll this one. It’s the “Oh yes I bloody well can. Watch this”.

Recently, I had a very nasty experience. I watched a goal-of-the-season compilation, and a video nasty it certainly was. Two Bales, two Nanis and none from The Gunners. Now I realize that we all go football matches for a variety of reasons, and there are a many ways that we all evaluate our day out.

Hard fought win, entertaining game, high scoring and so on, and for sure it is usually a combination of these. However do you remember the warm glow within as you plod off away from the ground having won on the back of a “goal of the season” contender?

Looking back at my categories above, we all have our favourites.
“The Hug” speaks for itself and has Arsenal written all over it. Thing is though, it is a passage of play, albeit culminating in a goal. The goal will not be spectacular and this is my problem here. We perform beautiful little passages of play in almost every game, and they can happen in any area of the pitch.

“The Take That”. Better. This is the 30 yard pile driver. The “pick that out if it’s not still too hot to handle”. I look at our squad and immediately think Podolski here. Of course the trouble is, opportunities are rare for him as ideally he needs to be moving, if not from central, then certainly from the right onto his left boot.
“Le Ian”. Call me old school “rock n’ roll” but this is where it’s at. Wrighty against Everton all the way for me.

What makes a truly memorable goal and why don’t we score more of them? Some might say the individual is drilled out of our boys and that the emphasis is somehow on walking it into the net. Are we afraid of failure or do we simply not have the individual talent?

Sure, any of the back four can appear and “leather it”, or from a free kick someone can “Carlos Koemann it”, but generally speaking you should be looking to one of the magicians. A team that sets up the way we do will have four. Front Three and the Advanced Midfielder.

Which of our boys do you reckon has the tools in his armoury to do “Le Ian”? Gerv for me, but I’m waiting.

By MickeyDidIt89

72 Responses to Arsenal’s goal of the season.

1. Thanks for the last minute post MDi89. Will pop back laterssss.

Have to say Hooray for Chary!
    “Micket” Did It 89 eh? :-)

3. Thanks for the last minute post MDi89. Will pop back laterssss than CharyB.

What makes a player capable of a goal of the season, skill or no fear?

5. Oops sorry Mdi89 – now corrected. :)

6. Manthan says:

DIdit,

No fear

Manthan
    Big Balls :-)

8. Gooner In Exile says:

Morning all, I had left a post in drafts for Peaches and Rasp but did not say as much on the blog as I thought I would slip it in like the tooth fairy.

Anyway glad the DidIt stepped in.

Goals of the season, I think we’ve had a few contenders but maybe not in the PL. Podolski’s volley in the CL stands out, as does Jacks vs Swansea in the FA Cup, Giroud’s top corner curler vs Brighton in the FA Cup also. In the league Theo’s vs Spuds springs to mind as does Gervinho’s vs Chavs and Gervinho’s vs Saints (but probably a hug goal as Arteta’s chip pass was sublime).

Cazorla has scored some good goals but passively not great ones.

But you are right DidIt we haven’t had enough VaVaVoom goals since the departures of Cesc, Nasri and now RvP…..but is this just more consequence of living in the video age, so many great goals are built on the memory if being there, Wright’s vs Everton for example, still only bettered for him by that one in the Charity Shield against Schmeichel.

9. Jamie says:

For a ‘Le Ian’ I think towards Walcott’s goal against Newcastle. We definately don’t score many long renge efforts, but I remember Santi’s against West Ham.

Micky,
    I’m amazed at both the speed and quality with which you manage to knock one out. :)

Personally I like the Take That kind of goal (but I don’t like musicals).
    Pod’s volley in the CL and a half volley in the prem from outside the area stick out for me (can’t remember who against).
    Santi’s goal against West Ham to make it 3-1 also had me purring.

Snap, Jamie.

12. Norfolk Gooner says:

Good morning to you all, even though it’s afternoon in sunny Norfolk.

The goal of the season hasn’t been scored yet, it will be scored in the seventh minute of stoppage time at The Emirates on Sunday.

In the final minute of added time with the score standing at 1 – 1 the Little Dutch Boy will be through on an open goal and about to shoot into an empty net for the winner. However, in the act of shooting he is disposed by a brilliant tackle by Theo Walcott who has tracked his run from the halfway line. Theo then sprints, with the ball, up field avoiding a lunging attempt at a tackle by the fat granny shagger and leaving him with his legs tied in a reef knot.

Theo then does a high speed figure of eight dribble around Ferdinand and Vidic, leaving him with his back to De Gea and the Manure goal. Chipping the ball over his left shoulder he then spins to his right around the ‘keeper and taps the ball into the net for the winner.

Old Red Nose goes into an apoplectic fit, which is made worse when Arsene Wenger politely invites him into the boardroom for a nice glass of Burgundy.

13. I like that Norfolk, although I’d like to add a Wenger knee slide(Di Canio style) in front of the Caledonian clogger for good measure.

14. Norfolk Gooner says:

Be my guest Chary.

15. Ian Ure Face says:

Goal of the season ?. 3rd, but will settle for 4th !.

If tomorrrow`s post is………Trophy of the season……then , as above !.

16. My fantasy best goal scenario would just get worse and probably too weird Norfolk, I’d ask for VanJudas to swap football skills with Emile Heskey and for Fergiescum to announce his retirement to be head barman at the Isle of Skye whyskey distillery as the Glazers decide to flog the club to Venky’s..

That would be cool.

Chas :-)
    You bet I can “knock one out” double quick when needs must, and this morning needs musted!
    Truth is, “She” was in need urgently a week ago and that’s when I did this double quickie. Thing is, there is someone amongst us even more Olympian in their quickness and I was pippped to the line.
    Never one to quit me :-)

I am convinced that elements within the home crowd play a massive part in our players lack of adventure, however, the fact that this persists away from home, does make me wonder if, since our switch to Barca styley football, individualism isn’t drummed out of them.

19. Bayonne Jean says:

Gibbs’ late belter at Swansea in the FA cup, which should have been the match winner, is the pick here.

Interesting post, as truthfully there’s not a whole lot of usual-suspect type goals-of-the-year candidates this time around compared to last season. Nothing like Arteta’s “small feet” free kick laser vs. Villa. And I see where the Purple Proboscis pronounced one of van Skunkie’s hat trick goals from last week as “goal of the century”. Umm, the turncoat scored TWO of the same type of goals for Arsenal (vs. Everton, Liverpool) last season, and both were better.

Why such a paucity of selections? Partially because there’s not many long range shots taken, so no long range bombs. A lot of us have been requesting more “out of the box” shooting to go along with that type of thinking, as it could pay off. Take Sunderland (please)….can’t buy goals for weeks; di Canio comes in, and they come up with four goals in the last two matches. Common denominator; all on shots taken from outside the box…..

Rumor from Sunderland: di Canio has requested that the side must change out of its traditional red/white strip to brown shirts.

Nice one Micky
    I like your subdivisions of great goals.
    I would suggest adding one more: the “How Did He Do That?” The prime example being Dennis up at Newcastle a few years back.

21. Norfolk Gooner says:

Bayonne Jean,

If that is a reference to to what I think it is the shirt colour is wrong, the Italian Fascists wore black shirts. It was Hitler’s private army or the Sturm Abteilung that wore brown.

Rocky
    I’m still not convinced Dennis knos the answer to that

Thank goodness not too mNy reading today, otherwise there would be a dramatic increase of “shooooot” cries on sunday and GiE would be very cross

24. Norfolk Gooner says:

Talking about the goal of the season is all very well but what about the OWN goal of the season, much more fun! In a masochistic kind of way. :d

25. Norfolk Gooner says:

:D

Take That

27. Tangent says:

I really liked the Rosicky’s headed goal because of how Gervinho bossed the defenders in the build-up.

28. gus says:

Bayonne Jean, you know who shoots long range? Cazorla. From memory its come of a few times but none are springing to mind. I think Podolski has scored some long range efforts too.

29. Red Arse says:

Nice Post, Micky :D

There is something whimsical and ephemeral about our man Gerv, and the thought that you, good sir, are propounding the view that we may have to rely on him to deliver our Goal of the Season is enough to give me the collywibbles.

He is, if you can forgive me for saying so, like a wind up toy, that once placed on the carpet moves itself wherever chance and the elements care to take it, and cares naught for the wishes of the child.

It is entirely possible that he could, indeed, score the perfect goal, but the question arises — for whom, or, into whose goal?

He has always struck me as a charismatic and somewhat endearing character, albeit with an aura of feyness that cannot be denied.

If our Goal of the Season depends on our Gerv, I trust you are prepared for any eventuality. :-)

30. William McGoonagal says:

Another case of the FA turning a blind eye to an England player indiscretion ? Remember the white washed Ledley King stomp on Freddie Ljunberg?Jamie Carragher throwing a coin randomly into the Highbury crowd? etc.

31. Gooner In Exile says:

William the FA his behind the “ref saw and dealt with it we can’t do anything” for Defoe.

GN5 I have to apologise as I thought Liverpool had learned their lesson but Rodgers press conference today is no different to Dalglish’s reaction to the Suarez ban last season, the words were very poorly chosen in my view, especially considering the club have decided not to appeal the ban, I’m sure Rodgers thinks his words of support for Suarez are aimed at the player not the FA in a “I’m here for you and sticking by you” kind of way, but surely that can be done behind closed doors.

32. brian says:

Who thinks arsene wenger should resign?

33. Shard says:

Who loves orange soda?

34. You lot have definitely lost the plot. Struggling to find something to write about, Congratulating mediocre posts and continuing to diss any views contrary to the conception of your limited imaginations. I am now quite disappointed with this blog- site. I will continue to read to the season’s end as maybe it will be intriguing to see what some of the Red Ar.., um, critics have to retort to my criticism. Rocky and Rasp are two of the few that are wasted on this blinkered site !! And I cringe at my thinking at first that this was a sensible site.
    I remain Arsenal to the very marrow, but who are some of you?
    The spirit of Plumstead Marshes is un- diminished.
    This is written with due respect for you allowing me to post this.

35. thetruth says:

I think Wenger should go on the grounds he’s lazy, naive, ill prepared, negligent on all fronts with no credibility and a propensity to overuse stale cliches. Has become a self-parody, no rhyme or reason in his decision making, a rudderless manager and a derisory figure. His business acumen is trite and lacks vision mirroring his coaching methods. Increasingly isolated Wenger has become a caricature and not fit for purpose. Sadly he will run his contract down to the detriment of the Club. Arsenal must gird their loins and without hesitation SACK Wenger.

36. Gooner In Exile says:

Tony …… Write one

Thetruth……well for you it is maybe….for me it’s just a bit…..yawn….is that the time.

37. Gooner In Exile says:

A few quotes about Arsene:

I think the job he has done at Arsenal makes him without question their most successful manager, even above people like [Herbert] Chapman.
    George Graham, (January 2011)

Arsène Wenger is the best manager Arsenal have ever had, and one of the top three or four in top-flight British football history (along with Shankly, Clough and Ferguson).
    Piers Morgan, (The Independent, August 2008)

Bet Piers Morgan wished Internet histories were deleted then he wouldn’t look like such an idiot.

38. Gooner In Exile says:

Arsene Wenger is amazing and I’m sure he will prove it again this season, He always finds the best young talent in Europe and has the courage to bring them in and give them their chance.

That is his special talent, the way he works with a player to build their confidence and encourage them to play, to perform at their best.

Cesc Fabregas September 2012 (no need to be nice)

39. thetruth says:

FACT: George Graham has won more trophies than Arsene Wenger.

40. Merseforever says:

Arsene is a great manager, but lately I’ve come to the opinion that he is better at making individual players develop and often he will prioritise this at the expense of the team. Years of putting up with Song and Diaby come to mind. The refusal to buy Xabi Alonso in order to prioritise Denilson and the refusal to cut RVP lose when any rational manager would have. Had we got rid of him four years ago, we could have spent his wages on a non crocked striker and got more than one season out of him.

Everyone waxes lyrical about the miracles he has pulled with getting us to finish top four, but broadly speaking he’s getting us exactly where we should be. We have the fourth highest wage bill in the league, and we normally finish 3rd or fourth. That is quite clearly the height of his ambition these days. The real miracle worker is Dortmund’s Klopp. He assembled that starting XI for the combined cost of Giroud, Gervinho and Santos. Not only does he have an eye for talent, but he is a great tactical manager and he has been forced to sell his teams best players for the last three summers and has pulled a rabbit out of the hat and come back stronger with BVB each time. I have only the highest admiration for him and his team.

41. Tony has got the hump. I can’t remember any goals off the top of my head.

42. Gooner In Exile says:

Merse I think Klopp has done a fantastic job, but I was thinking the other day how the club took big steps backwards before it has made leaps forward:

2002 Champions
    2003 3rd
    2004 6th
    2005 7th
    2006 7th
    2007 9th
    2008 13th
    2009 6th
    2010 2nd
    2011 Champions
    2012 Champions

Klopp has been there since the start of the 08/09 season, he had two years to build on the squad that was already there, Dortmund had many reasons to invest so heavily in youth the main one being that they were on the brink of financial collapse after they won the league in 2002 (Swiss Ramble has a very good article on the ins and outs of Dortmunds recent history).

Klopp did not oversee all that development, but he has benefited from the clubs long term planning and is getting the best out of the talent created. It probably helps that the rest of the German league is also financially controlled so players cannot hold to ransom as players in the PL can.

Would we fans have allowed a similar thing to happen at Arsenal? Would we have accepted being out of the CL for 6 seasons? I personally wish we would……as i think we could stop making patch up transfers and truly give the younger players at the club time to develop, would we still pack 60,000 fans in every week? I doubt it. Would Arsenal fans be moaning about lack of quality…..damn right they would…..but hindsight is a wonderful thing, so we can all hold Klopp on a pedestal, one that we wouldn’t have allowed him to sit on had he been Arsenal manager.

43. Gooner In Exile says:

thetruth says:
    April 26, 2013 at 12:31 am (Edit)
    FACT: George Graham has won more trophies than Arsene Wenger.

Really? What are we counting here?

Morning all from yet another blinkin’ hotel.

Raddy,
    Hope the exams went well. If you pass, do you get initials and stuff after your name, and if so, will you be demanding extra “respect” from us lesser beings?

Tony
    With respect to yesterday’s post, then I agree :-)

45. Red Arse says:

Good morning, :-)

GIE,
    Your 6.45. Wow. Absolute belter.
    Could have been part of a series of posts where you dissect the careers of all of the managers who have been touted as the next manager of Arsenal.

In fact I’d go as far as to say that you’re wasted on this site ( just as Rasp and Rocky are).

Morning Red Ar..,

Just seen Chelsea result. Good news (just) as Basel will think they are still in it and give it a go in the return at the Bridge.

Crikey, just seen the Dortmund score and goals!

Ooo, and, read on Sky news that AVB has been linked with job at Real. Guess that would include Bale ROLF

Chas,
    I noted that you were not listed along with Rocky and Rasp, mind you, like me Cummings probably has you down as one of the “bad seeds” :-)

Chas,
    True about GiE’s 6:45.
    If he carries on like that, he’ll be bracketed with Rock and Rasp, which will make three I want off this site pdq

50. evonne says:

micky – you didn’t want Lewandowski! Remember, too many ~ski’s for you, wanted more ~o’s like in Gervinho :)

that was a very strange comment from Chas

Immediately anyone suggests the site has just one view which is upheld regardless of any contrary opinion, you wonder if they actually read the comments.

A full range of views about the club are reflected on Arsenal Arsenal. Only repetitive idiots are dissed.

The spirit of Plumstead Marshes, my ar*e.

52. evonne says:

is it a bad hair day Chas?

53. Red Arse says:

Tony,

Rather than dissing Micky and the other bloggers who volunteer to give their time to write a Post, why don’t you write one of your own and send it to the email address above?

The compliments that you so dislike are given to the Post writers for bothering to put in the time and effort to keep people like you ‘entertained’ on this excellent blog.

Try it.

54. Red Arse says:

Morning Chas,

He must have been talking about some other Ar. :-)

55. evonne says:

sorry Chas, I didn’t see Tony’s comment. I thought you were losing the plot :) all clear now

56. Red Arse says:

Hi Evonne, :-)

If you read the comment at 11:03, all will become clear!

I lost the plot years ago, Evonne.

58. Red Arse says:

Evonne, “Snap”. :-)

59. evonne says:

get a Tom-Tom to find it again Chas :)

It was a rubbish game last night, or were we spoilt by German brilliance?

60. evonne says:

morning Red Ar

61. Gooner In Exile says:

Morning all…..I have a theory on what AA represents and where it sits in terms of the Arsenal blogosphere:

It’s a pub

This is backed up by the fact that many regulars drink in a pub together pre match.

This maybe simplistic but it has that feel.

The post writer is at the bar holding court and telling every one his theory, the commenters are listening, and adding their own tuppence worth sometimes drifting off in a tangent because they have has one too many. We have jokers, moaners, pacifists and fighters….

Hold on while I break into the Cheers theme tune

62. Red Arse says:

OK, GIE, :-)

I think you have a point — tho’ what we need from you now, is to put names to the descriptions!! Should make for an interesting Friday!! :-)

[And no copping out (where on earth does that phrase come from?) by saying each of us is all those things, from time to time -- even if that is true!] :D

GiE
    Gastro pub. Excellent range of beers, ales (and cider for Chary). Plus a comfortable and warm dedicated smoking area

RA morning
    Evonne I said,’ski’s should be CB’s :-)

64. evonne says:

yeah, with dogs and children allowed. No cats or pigs.
    Barmaid aka Peaches a bit like Angie from Eastenders and Rasp doing the Dirty Dan job :)

Morning all, apologies to everyone that peaches and I have been slacking recently, we have so much going on that we couldn’t cram it all in. A huge thanks to all the stalwarts for keeping things going.

I reject all criticism of our recent posts as they simply reflect the way supporters feel about the Arsenal at this time. We’re a communty of friends and if we choose to publish a one line post about the colour of Bendy’s boots then that’s fine by me, so keep up the good work and don’t let the bastards grind you down :P

Thanks for today’s post GiE, I’ll publish shortly

…… New post …….

Morning All.

Thanks for the good wishes and Yes, I passed.

Passed what you may well ask, and as this is the Saloon Bar and not just a football site I will tell you :-D I am now an Authorised Danish Tour Guide which means I am allowed to take a group of saps anywhere in the country.

It was a 2 year University course.

And now it is over I have more time to devote to AA matters and I will start with this ………..

68. Most sites only allow players in the US to deposit via money order
    or Visa prepaid gift card. The policy in question would have
    been better termed as needing to surpass a very high level of scrutiny,
    as I do not believe there was any malice on 2+2’s part for not allowing the post. There are in fact a number of very reputable poker rooms and networks out there, but not all allow U.

69. Very good info. Lucky me I recently found your website by accident (stumbleupon).
    I have saved it for later!

70. It’s very trouble-free to find out any topic on net as compared to textbooks, as I found this
    paragraph at this site.

71. Hello! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering
    if you knew where I could get a captcha plugin for my comment form?
    I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having trouble finding
    one? Thanks a lot!