Run to Continue.

Let’s be honest. Dig deep inside and search for the the truth. You expect us to secure three points this afternoon.  Go on, Admit it.

If like me you never predict a win for fear of “boking” (Irish for curse) the team, then you will be doing all you can to pretend this is a difficult fixture against a team who have upset us in the recent past, but we all know we should beat Norwich today.

Unknown

Number of Points needed this Afternoon

Let’s look at the reasons for optimism:

Norwich haven’t beaten us in London since 1992

They have never beaten us home and away

We have won 6 of our last 7PL  games

Norwich have only won one of their last 15 games

Norwich have scored just 3 goals in their last 7 away games and have taken just 2 points, nor won away in 2013

We welcome back Jack Wilshere and Theo Walcott

GIE’s Parents are attending today

I could continue but, should we lose, the pain of Norwich rubbishing all this evidence would be excruciating!

So, we should be positive, and we should move in third place in the PL (let’s all laugh at Tottenham :-D ). In my opinion, if the work ethic is in place and the team play with the verve they have shown in recent weeks, ….. Damn, I can’t write it.

Negatives. Merts is out and ermmmm …… oh yes, Diaby is injured.

Norwich have tried to play attacking football but have sadly failed. They play 4-5-1  and in Chris Hughton have a young manager who looks simply ridiculous in a suit and tie. After all, this man still retains the slime and excrescence of N17. All those years of floating in a cesspool take their toll – just look at Glenda Hoddle, Terry Vegetables and Alan Sugar. Nonetheless I will be saddened if they go down – which is a real possibility given that if they lose today they could be just one point from the drop zone.

My Team:

arse v norwich

All right – Take it Easy – Keep your hair on (not in my case), I know Rosicky has been superb and that Ramsey is a ball of energy but this is my post and my team. I believe we should put out our best 11 players,and in my opinion this is the best Arsenal team. Of course, my favourite German (after Michael Schenker) is on the bench.

The fitness of both Wilshere and Walcott will determine the starting 11. If they are only fit enough for the bench I would play Ramsey and The Ox.

As to tactics, we will play as we usually do, and for lovers of decent football I hope Norwich don’t zaparkowac´autobus. An early Arsenal goal will open up the game and of late we have started well. More of the same, please.

Today’s English explorer: Normally I focus upon expedition leaders and their derring-do, men who have taken the plaudits and the titles (assisted greatly by extensive facial hair) but today we will take a look at one of the unsung heroes, because behind every expedition are a number of brave and almost unknown back-up men, Alfred Cheetham (1867-1918) is one of them.

Born in Liverpool into a poor family, he went to sea at an early age, joining the fishing fleets of Hull. He remained a Seaman all his life (highly appropriate for an Arsenal blog!).

Unknown

Hard as Nails

An early trip into the iceworld was as a member of Captain Scott’s South Pole attempt. Sadly, Scott didn’t return from the Pole and a search party was mustered but Cheetham wasn’t chosen as he was a family man, having married young and producing 13 children – these navy chaps are fertile. Cheetham’s next tour to Antarctica was with the Shackleton expedition, one of the most famous and arduous expeditions of all-time. Stuck on the ice through a Polar winter, sheltering under lifeboats as their ship had sunk, Cheetham and his crew-mates waited for the return of Shackleton.

What makes Cheetham notable is that he was on both of the most famous Polar expeditions and survived. What he didn’t survive was the First World War, his ship being torpedoed in 1918.

Win today and the pressure mounts upon our rivals. Draw and the task is harder, Lose and the bubble bursts ……… But we won’t.

written by Big Raddy

Disclaimer. If I have bokked the team and we do not win, BR takes no responsibility.

COYRRG

358 Responses to Run to Continue.

Morning all
    Raddy Raddy oh Raddy
    Pure joy. Great mood setter as always. Tha.k you.
    Wbile I dont think Santi JW and MA really work well as a balanCED midfield, boy do tbey look good on paper

I’m on a train from Birmingham to London and I swear we have just overtaken the Nottingham Express. Otherwise known as The Anthoine Deck Special Brew Flyer

3. Gooner In Exile says:

Morning all, thanks Raddy for the PM, quality as ever.

As you take no responsibility for boking the team neither do I or my parents :)

A win today is vital, it’s not often I say that but I think the fact that we go into today’s game on the back of 3 PL wins is good for the soul and thankfully our two recent trips away from the Em’s should see fans turning up in a more positive mood, the team in some way have shown the home fans that unity is required to achieve success.

4. Red Arse says:

Enjoyable read, Randy, :-)

Slightly worried about ‘boke’ as I had never heard of it before, so I looked it up and the definition seems to be variations on;

‘Boke or the present participle ‘boking’ can mean to either feel like vomiting or to dry heave’.

Yeuk! Wish I hadn’t looked it up as I have just finished a delicious full American/English breakfast.

Which dodgy Irishman told you what it meant? :D

RA. Try it without the E (bok). To bok or bokk comes from spoken as opposed to written language and is used not just by the Irish but also by the North London Jewish Possee.

Commonly in use where I grew up :-D

As you rightly write – to boke is to throw up

RA
    Surely you have been on this island long enough to drop those filthy habits of yours.
    Americanizing the Full English. I dispair :-(

7. Ant says:

You haven’t passed our Nottingham flyer yet Micky. Usual brill post BR. We just need to take a few chances today and stop them from set plays. You can’t drop the Gerve!

Dispair? Is this Caribbean or Irish speak?, as in “dis pair of kecks don’t fit?”

Micky, Ant etc You lucky lads. Wish I was with you – you are going to enjoy a great day.

9. Excellent PM Big & Dandy and that is why you are the king of the pre match.

Good to see the unsung heroes of expeditions get a bit of recognition for a change and this particular seaman’s semen seemed to very productive.

Funny you should mention my favourite DB10 lookalike Michael Schenkjer as I’m going to his Oxford gig next Friday. He may be pushing 60 but he guys a genius – I would put up one of his videos but I see Mdi89 is around he would probably scowl insufferably if i did.

As Rosicky is an injury doubt, the last I heard, then he will be an option from the bench in all likelihood, maybe to replace Jack or Santi on the stipulated 65-70 minute substitution times.

Norwich’s form and our run in the last 4 games does point to a home win and like you I don’t like predicting a win, but in my case it’s for a fear of looking like a plonker should the unthinkable happen.

Like our transatlantic chum Redders I’d never heard of “boke” either yet I thought the “dry vomit/heave” thing was a “boik” – but I’m fairly ignorant of things gaelic.

I saw a very detailed form/tactics guide on this match yesterday and it seemed to imply anything less than 3 points for the good guys will be a major reversal of the form book.

10. The font says:

I was born and bred north london and was brought up to understand that bok is to bring bad luck

What goes quack quack, whoosh?

BR
    Ooops
    Bloody glad I’m not with Ant n Deck
    All that warm brew sloshing all over the carriage

13. Ant says:

Chas has rejected the family tortillas and instead has family Tyrells sweet chilli and red pepper ..my favourite! And a bottle of batemans gold medal as a warm up. Lovely..

Euripides

15. Big Raddy: “Negatives. Merts is out and ermmmm …… oh yes, Diaby is injured.”

Big Al: “Positives. Merts is out and ermmmm …… oh yes, Diaby is injured.”

OY YOU!! – “I believe we should put out our best 11 players,and…” ?????

Where the **** were you when I was taking on both WonkyLives and Rasp at the same time over that particular issue. Where was my back-up? I didn’t have any back-up… I was being bullied two-onto-one, and with Red Arse sticking his conk in as well every few minutes stirring up the sh*te as he does…. And if my memory serves me correctly you was blogging at the same time as us.

And… every time you post the Saturday lineup you put the words above the graphic “My team”. When I queried this before you said “It’s what I think Wenger will pick [in other words “Wenger’s team”] adding, sarcastically, “if it was MY team I’d have included Messi wouldn’t I ?”… yet today you write “but this is my post and my team.”.

So, just to clarify for ALL on this site, is today’s lineup “BIG RADDY’S team” or “The team what I think WENGER will pick”?

ps: as regards Rosicky I’ve read somewhere or other that he’s injured (hamstring).

Chas
    A semi flightless amphibious bird ripped to the tits?

17. Ant says:

When we unloaded our drinks and snacks stash on to the table the nearby granny commented, “That looks like quite a party!”

Hey Chary
    Meathead are playing the NEC
    How do i know
    Because i was there early today setting up an exhibition in the next hall and there were butt ugly people hanging around
    Are you going or are you on the bench today?

19. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

This smells of an Big Al inspired post.

Cheers Raddy, i believe Poldi will play. He seems to be chomping at the bit and wants to make up for his less than par performance against the canaries earlier in the season.

Question: Does Arsene Wenger give the arm-band to Tommi gun, or is it safe in the hands of Arteta?

Oh God noooo Ant
    Dont even think about it however much nasty beer you’ve downed
    She is a frail granny
    Leave her in peace

Ta for the pm, BR.
    I think we should sign Cheetham as our new DM.

22. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Hi Redders,

What is a full American breakfast?

23. Who are Meathead Mdi89 ? A supergroup combine of Meatloaf and Motorhead maybe haha.

You have to admit I didn’t offend your Val Doonican woolly jumper sensitivities by sticking a video up, c’mon credit where it’s due. :)

24. Ant says:

She’s nodded off now Micky!

Big Al. My post, my rules (which are changeable)

If you have a problem with that I will have to ask you to “step outside”

And regarding my non-appearance in your “open and frank discussion” with The Rock and Arse, we Big fellows can handle two on ones without problem, so I left you to it :-)

26. Ant says:

Micky hates metal sounds like a tv series!

PPP. TV .

Chary. I must defend Micky against your Val Doonican slur. The Didit’s are huge Beliebers. Mr. Didit’s mobile ring is Justin’s 2010 hit “Never say Never.

28. Ant says:

Have you nodded off with the granny MDI89?

Micky, :)
    Either the antoine duck express or
    Ant’s answer
    the noise Orville makes when Keith Harris takes his hand out.

30. Ant says:

I can feel an incline coming on!

31. Hi Prince-Purrfect-Poldi
    Red Arse has probably got hump if he read my post; he could be having an hour off… so, I think a full American breakfast is a dozen giant burgers washed down intermittently with copious amounts of Coke.

Apparently that Elvis bloke was halfway through his breakfast when he zonked out on the bog.

32. Ant says:

She’s woken up and now doing her puzzler.

33. Mdi89 as a Beleiber, yup that figures Radders.

34. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Yes Elvis did indeed love his coke, although he had trouble snorting the ice cubes.

Laterz

35. Ant says:

A full American is a tall stack of 9 pancakes

36. Ant says:

Are you having a dump Micky?

37. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Cheers Ant, why is it 9?

38. Red Arse says:

Micky, :-)

‘Dis pair’ or ‘dat pair’ Randy has you buttoned :-)

A full American breakfast is (for me);

Bacon! Lots and lots of crispy bacon, link sausages, two eggs, toast or muffins, hash browns or home fries (my preference) and coffee — loads of hot black coffee.

A ful English is;

Similar to the above, except you guys like your fried tomatoes and mushrooms as well, and sometimes black pudding (they did when I was based near Wigan) :-) but tend to miss out on the hash browns. Loverly grub! :D
    Altho, horror of horror, I have sometimes spied ‘baked beans’ on offer, as well. Yeuk!

Both breakfasts are delicious!! :-)

39. Ant says:

Poldi, could be 9 or 15 …..in the US the bigger the better. I was shocked when I first asked what a small stack was and wastoledo just the 5 pancakes.. 5.. Bloody hell they can eat!

40. Ant says:

We certainly don’t have muffins for breakfast!

41. Gooner In Exile says:

I vote Ant and Chas should get the train every morning, even if they have nowhere to go :D

42. Red Arse says:

Hi Big Al, :-)

I did not know I was supposed to be offended by you. :-) Stick a warning up so that I know in future.

The only objection I have with your 10:39 is that I was certainly not sticking my cock in at the time! :-)

43. Red Arse says:

You speak for yourself, Ant! You don’t know what your missing! :-)

Partaking of a muffin with your breakfast is a work of art!! :-) Ask Chas.

RA, home fries?

That American breakfast sounds delicious.

Here in Denmark we have Pufffin yoghurt and boiled seal flipper

You can’t beat a muffin dripping with syrup first thing in the morning.

47. Ant says:

GIE, Can you get the exile seniors to blog from the train after a few coffees?

48. Ant says:

BR, that sounds flippertastic!

49. Red Arse says:

Mmmm, too true Chas — altho you can’t beat a buttered muffin. :-)

Are we all talking about the same thing? Randy seems to be into a whole different scene!! :D

Home fries are chopped/cubed potatoes, boiled, spiced and then fried. Yummy!

50. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Spudz first thing in the morning?

Breakfast of champions!

51. Ant says:

Should chas and I get the train and go to Newcastle on the last day or stay in Nottingham and watch in a pub on sky?

Great post Raddy. Can I just say how impressed I am by Cheetham and he does indeed appear to be “hard as nails”, but did he have to look like John Terry?

I am not too sure how I want the team to line up today but would largely agree with yours Raddy. Gervinho seems to have hit form so it would be hard to exclude him from the starting line up but I have always had a feeling that he is better suited to playing from the right.

Redders (from the end of the last post), I do appreciate your heartfelt concern as to where I have been hiding. I would love to tell you that this is classified information and that if they were to make a film about me that Dame Judy Dench would play my boss. Unfortunately the reality is that that pescy thing known as work has been exceedingly busy, some of it good busy and some bad busy, and coupled with 2-3 other factors I have been unable to get any time to look at the posts. I may still be a bit missing for the next couple of weeks but after that hopefully normal blogging service will resume.

I am at the game with my father and my brothers father in law today. Is anyone at the Tavern? If so I will try and coaxe them in that general direction.

53. Red Arse says:

Get the train to Newcastle, Ant — you will enjoy it and we will enjoy your narrative! :-)

54. Red Arse says:

Thanx for that GoonerB, hope it settles down for you soon!

Enjoy the game today! :-)

I’m a belieber ROLF
    G8 i’ll be there. Peaches there. And two “others” as well :-)

56. Norfolk Gooner says:

Good morning to you all, even if it’s afternoon or midnight where you are.

Very late appearance today, but my wife has been painting the landing window and until she took her ladder down I couldn’t get up the stairs to the computer. I do wish she would start a little earlier, although then I suppose she would wake me up as she clatters up the stairs with the bloody ladder.

As I live surrounded by Canary fans I shall be keeping a low profile whilst the Mighty Gunners go about the business of taking all three points and improving the goal difference.

C’mon The Gunners!!

57. dandan says:

BR My wife is currently knitting a special “VD” jumper for you and should it happen that you have indeed bokked the club today, you will on your next visit be installed while wearing it, in a rocking chair on the penalty spot in front of the black scarf mob, who will no doubt be glad to find someone else to blame. :-)

VD jumper :)

An American breakfast in the deep south would be –
    Grits, meat, eggs and home fries.

In the Pacific North West it would be –
    Steak and eggs.

Your usual great start to game day – well done Raddy.

61. Janman says:

Sorry guys but when it comes to American breakfast, none of you know what you are talking about :-) Grits are a major factor to a true American breakfast.
    Fingers crossed for three points today.

62. “chas says:
    April 13, 2013 at 1:27 pm
    VD jumper”

Isn’t that Crabs?

63. Janman says:

Ha Ha. GunnerN5 must have posted at the same time.

64. Janman says:

Something I am curious about. What’s going on with Poldi? Why isn’t he starting? I had heard he had an ankle problem but that didn’t stop him from playing 70 something minutes for Germany. I just find it strange that he is not playing!

65. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

What are grits?

66. Janman says:

PPP: Just for you.

67. Red Arse says:

3P

Grits are a traditional breakfast food made of ground dried corn kernels with seasoning, which are particularly favoured in the Southern States.

Yeuk! Better for chickens!! :-)

68. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Thank you both, in the link it says that they are similar to ‘polenta’.

Yuk, or yeuk indeed. I hate polenta, but the ‘home-made’ fries you described earlier Redders sound tempting.

Superb BR

Match day mornings are always enhanced by the BR pre-match – and now we get the added treated of the Ant and Duck Show (taking the Micky).

Being five hours behind makes it all rather wonderful: I just wake up and it’s all there, waiting to be read.

BR
    I hope you’re team is wrong and that we retain the Arteta-Ramsey “pivot”, which I feel has been important in our recent run of good form. In front of them either Santi or Jack is fine by me (although I’d be tempted to use Jack off the bench, play Santi in the middle and have Gerv and Pod out wide).

As you say – a strong and energetic start is vital.

It’s been some time we blew a team away in the first half and it would be nice to see that happen today – although (no bokker me) I have worrying memories of our toothlessness when we played at their gaff earlier this season.

70. Red Arse says:

Arsenal Team:

Flappy,
    Sagna, Kozzer, TV, Gibbs
    Arteta, Rambo
    Gerv, Jack, Santi
    Giroud

Actually not sure about Giro — my link went down!

In the interesting discussion of breakfasts, I notice that no-one has drawn attention to one major difference between the Full English and the Full American: namely the cut of bacon used.

In North America, including Canada, they use what, growing up in England, we used to call “streaky bacon”. Namely, the thin strips of layered meat and fat from the belly area of the poor beast. It can be tasty when nicely crisped, but is slightly less appealing because of the amount of fat.

In the UK, we prefer “back bacon” – which has some of the “streaky” pork belly attached but is mainly made up of pork loin, which is much meatier and fat free.

And before anyone dares quibble, I would inform you that I was a Saturday butcher’s boy in Bellamy’s Butchers, Charlton Road, Charlton 1974-75.

Redders also rightly mentioned the American staple “home fries”. Bits of potato chopped into small cubes and fried with bits onion (sometimes pits of red and green pepper). They can be very tasty when done well but, to my mind, don’t belong in a breakfast for the same reason that chips (french fries) don’t belong: no spuds in the morning!

As for grits, I tried them once. Enough said.

From Arsenal.com

Three Changes

Vermaelen, Gibbs and Wilshere come in for the suspended Mertesacker, the injured Rosicky and the rested Monreal (who drops to the bench)

Subs

Mannone, Jenkinson, Monreal, Coquelin, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Walcott, Podolski

Arsenal Team

Fabianski, Sagna, Vermaelen, Koscielny, Gibbs, Arteta, Wilshere, Ramsey, Cazorla, Gervinho, Giroud

Morning (afternoon) Redders
    So, it’s a like-for-like swap – Jack in for Rosicky, with Santi staying out wide.

I like the fact that the only changes we have made have been enforced (injury to Rosicky, suspension for BFG) and that we have made like-for-like replacements and not tinkered with the formation.

We should have a strong bench. I wonder who the back-up CB is? Squiddly Diddly?

Ah… no back-up CB. So if Kozzer or Verm get injured it will be Sagna in the middle and Jenks to RB…

I bet that Walcott is not at all amused by being in the bench, but his more recent performances have been gone to his pre new contract offerings. Plus dropping Gervinho would be a soul destroyer and make him wonder quiet what he has to do to retain hi place.

Again no place for Szczesny ?

Gn5
    Indeed, Szcz not even on the bench. Something’s going on with him.

78. Red Arse says:

Quite right, Rocky, re the bacon.

I opened my description, above, with ‘Bacon!’ and then added ‘lots of crispy bacon’ i.e. that, as you say, is crisp streaky bacon.

Actually, I have come to like smoked, thin sliced back bacon but mainly for bacon sandwiches, if I am out and about.

I suspect ‘green back bacon’ is unsmoked, buy I have never tried it – just in case!! :D

As GN5 implied, the US is a big place, so dietary/food preferences vary with where you eat, so I am describing what is a common breakfast in and around NYC.

Nowadays, when I have fried breakfast (not too often) I have a meal with the bits I like from both cuisines. [I really love fried tomatoes and chestnut mushrooms – and up in the NW England (and Ireland) I enjoy black pudding [blood sausage (?)] and toast over muffins, either way – coffee and lots of it is a must.:-)

We clearly agree with our dislike of grits (in all its forms, in my case!).

79. Bayonne JeanJ says:

Orange juice is an essential In an American breakfast. Grits only have value if you’re running low on plaster or wallboard compound; tastes about the same….

Any reason(s) why Szczesny is in the Wenger gulag?

Rocky,

He had a poor run out with the juniors in the week, so maybe his confidence is shot.

We really need strong 1st choice and he is still lacking, however he’s still only 22, his 23rd is on April 18th so he has lot’s of time to grow into our number one.

Rocky/RA,

I have a distinct dislike for fatty bacon but in most restaurants in both the US and Canada peameal bacon is also offered and it’s my personal preference.

Like the team but would have preferred another forward.

AW seems to be reverting back to the days of 4-4-2 even when he has the forwards available, but I guess it allows Santi to play closer to the attack.

The bacon selection over here is dreadful. Just streaky and rubbish at that – all the Danish Bacon goes to UK supermarkets.

There are 5.5 million Danes and over 25 million pigs!

84. Red Arse says:

Hi GN5, :-)

I have never tried peameal bacon.

My cousin loves it, but as he described it as green, salted back bacon coated in cornmeal I am put off by that adjective ‘green’ which, as I said above, simply sounds evil.

Maybe, next time I visit my cousin in KC, I will try it, as you have recommended it! :D

Raddy,

I don’t get that 5.5 million Danes and 25 million of them are pigs?

86. Gooner In Exile says:

This’ll show who has improved what with a couple of replacements back towards the first XI of earlier this season.

Here we go again a ten man defence to break down.

OK Start. Norwich defending very deep

89. Adrian says:

Need to move the ball just a little quicker..

Jack is off the pace at the moment.

91. Adrian says:

Wilshere looking exactly like a player who just recovered from injury.. Far from his best atm.

92. Adrian says:

What happened to all the pressing high up the pitch as of late? We need to do that now.

Agreed Adrian – we need the press.

94. oz gunner says:

@ Adrian

It appears it only exists when Rosicky plays

The crowd drives me crazy, aleady the moans ansd groans have started. They should be 100% behind the team.

96. Adrian says:

Could it be a coincidence that we seem to be playing with more purpose and at a higher tempo when Rosicky started for us the past few games? Starting to think not. What a shame he’s always haggled by injuries.

Afternoon all.

Wakey Wakey Arsenal

Gervinho is more frustrating than my wife :)

98. Adrian says:

Now THATS what happens when we press them, but Gervinho’s decision making seems to have picked today to go bonkers.

Can’t believe people are getting on Gerv’s back already.

What’s up with our supporters?

Kelsey he is a total enigma.

Kelsey
    He probably spends more time on his hair too.

102. oz gunner says:

@ G5

agreed. Every misplaced pass! That’ll boast player confidence

Come on Arsenal, you can do so much better

104. Adrian says:

Great run by Gervinho, poor touch immediately after. Its like everytime he does something right, he does something wrong right after. :(

Although he is an enigma – he is the one making things happen – we just need an end result.

FFS Crowd at the Ems. Stop groaning for every mistake!

No wonder we’re better away from home.

We are starting to play at a better tempo.

108. oz gunner says:

@ Rocky

The players need to extract a digit aswel though. Throwing their hands in the air and whinging everytime isn’t helping anyone. Doing it during that ripper Gerv cross is ridiculous, it’s there fault for not being in the dangerous position!

109. oz gunner says:

God holt is a big lump of sh*t, how did he score so many last season????

110. Adrian says:

Giroud has done absolutely nothing useful going forward so far.

Santi not quite at the races as well.

We need him and/or Jack to get their touch going.

Our attack is pretty non existant against a very poor side,surely it must get better.Agree giroud is not imposing himself.

Adrian
    I’d like to see Ollie trying to hold the ball occasionally instead of all those first time flicks. The flicks are great when they come off – but that’s only about one in ten.

114. Adrian says:

Besides that header which clipped the crossbar, he has been poor. His main role to hold up play isn’t working atm.

This is very poor, Jack is way of the pace and Gerv is having a poor day ….. we need subs, Rosicky and Theo on ASAP

Giroud needs to hold onto the ball more, he cant wait to get rid of it

Where’s the hard work, where’s the pressing? this is not acceptable, Norwich are poor and we should be winning easily by now

How much incentive do they need to go third tonight,we need to get out of second gear.Surely the players know what’s at stake and a week until the next game.
    Up to now very poor collectively as a unit

Kelsey
    Next game is on Tues

Poor first half from us.

Big kick up the arse needed.

121. Adrian says:

Surely we can only do better in the second half.

Its games like these when you realize how much certain players are missed when they’re injured – rosicky.

I’d call it a disgraceful first half, if they throw away the points advantage we’ve gained by this kind of gutless performance, I’d fine the whole team.

Rasp,

Rosicky will need a walking stick – he’s out injured.

Ox will come on i think theo is not 100 %

gervinho has a free role ,left right centre but really should have scored when rounding the keeper.
    Sagna looks our best attacking option at the moment.

Yea Kelsey we play Everton on Tuesday – at home.

Oh thanks GN5, I’ve only just watched the game on the stream, didn’t read any of the preamble.

Its at times like this you wish AW had a hairdryer :(

I’d be tempted to swap out Jack at HT, keep Santi central, Gerv left and Theo right.

Gervinho’s touch when he went past the keeper was dreadful and even then he didn’t look up to square the ball, his attempted shot was pathetic, I’d take him off for theo for the 2nd half

129. Red Arse says:

My view is not helped by a poor stream, but there seems to be an awful lot of empty seats today.

That half seemed to be a switch back to less positive games against poor opposition.
    We have been slow of movement and slow of thought, heavy touches, unnecessary flicks and sod all anticipation.
    Apart from that — we are doing OK! :-)

I agree with the Rasper, we need pace, and that means Jack and ‘Spider’ Gerv off — and Theo and the Ox on.

Definitely Gerv is way better on the left, so that could work Rocky. Jack was limping from early on, I don’t know if he got a knock.

I would give JW to 60 mins and then put on Theo or Ox.

Don’t agree that we have been so terrible. OG has hit the bar and forced the GK into a decent save.

The last 15 mins when we upped the pace we looked better but I would like to see Ramsey get further forward

This is rubbish, why are we allowing them space to get crosses into the box? The midfield is looking slow and lazy again

We should be playing like this is the last minute of the FA cup final, not strolling around.

I think you need to go to specsavers Raddy :)
    Now don’t wait until the 68th minute Mr wenger

Wilshire has to come off.

Not helped by a ref who’s giving us nothing.

Unbelievable

Why the hell does Wenger always leave it so late to make the obvious substitution? Jack’s not match fit – its bloody obvious

FFS. Pathetic defending it is going to cost us.Rubbish.

140. Adrian says:

That was so fking predictable. What do we practice on the training ground? Subs on right now.

141. Adrian says:

Bring wilshere off ffs, clearly very rusty.

I blame Wenger for that, he’s so bloody stubborn and seems to think there is some kind of virtue in repeating the same mistake over and over in the hope that one day he’ll be proved right

BFG is having a good game

Half an hour to save our season.

Come on you Gunners

145. Adrian says:

I’d like to see the ox come on soon too.

Well done Sagna for getting Johnson back after Johnson’s stamp

147. Absolutely shocking defending for the goal.

I was screaming at the screen we were too deep and it turned out to be true, we started too deep and then dropped deeper before the ball was kicked when we should have just let them all run offside and defend the bloody ball!

148. Red Arse says:

That goal was totally predictable.

Not one defender got off the ground, and any one of three Norwich players could have scored that.

Our guys look like a bunch of zombies, and we are likely to get what we deserve with this performance — zilch!

My hopes for Giroud are diminishing as the season goes on.

We lack a proper striker.

150. Red Arse says:

Spurs must be laughing in their beer.

We are no better in this half it seems to me.
    Come on prove me wrong, guys!!

151. Adrian says:

Please please please bring the ox on!

Tippy tappy shit, where are the fucking subs

This is bizzare, has he forgotten we have other players on the bench

Well he’s made 2 subs already Rasp

Sorry Rock,, my stream must be way behind the realtime play

Ref is really giving us nothing

This is awful.

Come on Boys.

158. Adrian says:

Holy fk we’re actually becoming worse as the game goes on.

Get Ox on. AT least give us a bit of oomph

160. Adrian says:

Nothings going our fking way. So closs by Pod.

161. Adrian says:

Penalty!! Cmon!!

We haven’t looked like a balanced team at any point today …. much less than the sum of our parts

163. can’t believe lino gave that rather than ref based on positions, but looks spot on and embarasses the ref!

Get in. Come on at least 5 minutes to finish this

165. Bloody ref made him wait long enough to take that!

166. Adrian says:

Why is pod playing so deep?!

Come on now, 5 minutes to get back in control of our destiny

GET IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE YOU ARSENAL

170. Adrian says:

FK YEAH ARSENAL!! This is what the ox brings for us.

171. GEEEEEET IN!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeeeeaaahhhhhhhh

Well done Fab

Hold hard Boys. Don’t give it away now …..

Now we get 6 whole minutes because of THEIR time wasting – that rule is so stupid.

Football makes mugs of us all :)

Is that 6 minutes????

178. Adrian says:

Reading’s goalkeeper is being a beast apparently in the liverpool game.

Giroud might have scored that tap in goal, but overall i feel he had a poor game. But what the heck, what a comeback just when we’re looking so poor.

PODOLSKI!! What a finish!

My 2nd favourite German finishes it.

Come on

180. that’ll do!!!!!

Hope loads of people left early sulking :D

181. Adrian says:

That was a great finish by Podski, calm, composed and hit with power. Surely wouldn’t mind seeing him replacing Giroud as the cf for a few games.

Would you believe it, hahahhaaaaaa

Well, I was gearing up for a really miserable weekend…

184. i do hope my father in laqw is watching on BBC web rather than Sky SPorts News as BBC still says 1-0 Norwich :D

185. Adrian says:

Gotta love the fan jeering their GK when he rushed over to pick up the for a goal kick, that time wasting fk.

186. Adrian says:

All of a sudden the parked bus is gone and we’re attacking with more intent, shows how crucial it is to get an early goal.

I love the thought of the Spud fans getting all hopeful with 10 min to go.

At least podolski has a shot and uses it,no tippy tappy from here.
    Tony Gale is slating Arsenal the whole game being lucky all the match and norwich unfortunate.

Make no mistake, we got away with that one – but who cares, we’ve got the 3 points :)

I am listening to Tony Gale who is a complete ladies bottom. He agrees that it was a penalty but thinks that because the linesman was so far away, we were lucky!

And according to him our 3rd was offside.

The subs made the difference

192. Red Arse says:

I told you we would win!! :D

I know — “pants on fire!”

BR maintains that we were by far the better side throughout the game and deserved the win.

And I didn’t bok the Arsenal :-D

Happy Days

194. Bayonne Jean says:

Holt should be put in chains and thrown into the Tower of London’s deepest dungeon. How did he manage to stay on the pitch with all of that crap???

195. oz gunner says:

@ Rocky 4.53

well said, thought the same. Poor supporters must be sick of getting their hopes dashed all the time!!!

Can anyone confirm who got the assists please?

197. dandan says:

Rasp o yea of little faith, it was never in doubt my son. :-)

Haha dandan, if only that were true, we got lucky today, I hope we’ve learnt our lesson.

199. Manthan says:

It was penalty??? I think it was but because refree didn’t gave it from 8 yards and linesman given is from far so people are making issue of it.. But if MANUTD was playing instead us then it would have been fare penalty for all.. Pathetic people Win is what matter….
    Yuhooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

200. Adrian says:

We were VERY lucky to get 3 points today tbh. We were piss poor today compared to the previous 3 games or so (Rosicky perhaps?) and the fact that Jack wasn’t at his best after returning from 6 weeks of injury prolly contributed to that.

We were lucky in the sense that while it WAS a foul on giroud, shirt tugging happens all the time in the box and is rarely penalized, let alone by the linesman instead of the ref.

For our second, Giroud too tugged on the defenders shirt before flicking the ball towards the ox and tbh was no different to the penalty incident.

In the build up play for third, Giroud kneed the norwich defender in the back before winning the high ball which was easily a foul too. Then again, it also seems like Theo was offside after that.

Basically we were very lucky to win with a poir performance like that and Wenger has to make sure this is an isolated case and improve the team’s performance for the game against Everton no matter what.

201. Manthan says:

Raspy one Ox- 1 assist and Theo -1 Assist :)

Thanks Manthan :P … and for the 3rd???

203. Sav from Australia says:

Referee tried to cheat us but linesman said NO! Shame he’s going to lose his job. How dare he let us win by ‘following the rules’!

I guess Giroud gets the assist for the penalty?

Theo had a huge impact and will surely start on Tuesday. Pod has to start ahead of Gervinho, who is better coming off the bench

Biggest disappointment of the day was Wilshere. Possibly his worst game in the shirt. AW has stated he will not take risks with a half fit JW, well today he did.

206. Red Arse says:

We have heard a lot about Arsenal’s lack of mental strength, and however poorly we played, that has been put to bed.

There is nothing wrong with our players mental strength, but that should not blind us to the truth, we do have players who need to be thanked for their efforts — and moved on.

207. Gooner In Exile says:

Rasp Giroud for being fouled for pen? (Which was the second)

I thought Santi set up Pods? But Manthan reckons Theo…..stewards enquiry takes me to BBC web but that still says 0-1 :D

208. Manthan says:

BR,
    Agree Theo was very impressive today.. Surely We should start him and I don’t why AW is not playing Poldi any information????? He really needs to play…

209. Janman says:

As you British say, that was squeeky bum time! Wilshire did not look fit enough to start and why oh why isn’t Poldi starting? He brings so much class to the game. No complaints, we were not on our game today but this is the luck we need to carry us into the top 4. 3 points are 3 points and at the end of the day that is all that matters.

GiE, surely your predictor must have us in the top 4 now?

Sav
    Funnily enough, I was wondering whether the ref was bent or under orders to not let us win. Repeated Norwich fouls just went unpunished but he blew for everything by us.

As you say, I reckon the lino thought it was a bit off and did his bit for fairness.

Thanks GiE, can you let me know when you are sure who gets the assists ta :P

How can beating a team we outplayed be called “lucky”?

214. Gooner In Exile says:

4-4-2 app agrees with Manthan.

Manthan. Pod will surely start on Tuesday.

The thing about Pod, if you give him a couple of chances he’ll score one of them.

He was unlucky not to have got on the scoresheet earlier with the shot that Bumm tipped onto the bar.

He should be playing.

We’ll need to be better against Everton.

I’m afraid Jack needs more reserve games or whatever to get his touch back. He was by far our worst player today (I don’t blame him – he was brought back too early).

Everton won today. They’re going to be really up for it on Tuesday.

219. Manthan says:

RL (5:11PM) Agree With you… Rambo had very good game I feel He is getting is confidence back good to see that…

220. Gooner In Exile says:

Rasp well it’s two points gained Rasp so our swing is only -7 but as I have stated previously the remaining games picked up only 4 points last year, so my calculations using that show us as only achieving 3 points for rest of season.

Massive game on Tuesday. Everton are in fine form. Win that one and all is rosy but it will a be a tense evening.

Ant, Micky and Chas will have a fun trip home tonight.

222. Gooner In Exile says:

How did Rambo get his game back? By playing and playing and playing and now we are seeing the results. Same applies to anyone coming back from injury, question is have we got time? Theo looks better because because he comes on against tired legs and its easier to cope if you’re 70% match fit.

223. Adrian says:

Just seen highlights of the reading vs liverpool game, liverpool playing some pretty and fluid passing football, a bit like us the last few games but nothing like us today. Really unlucky not to have won, the reading keeper made quite a few excellent saves.

224. Manthan says:

Goal.com is confirming Bassong who scored not Giourd….

Rasp

Giroud and Ox but if you consider his gaining the penalty shot then Giroud gets two assists.

226. Red Arse says:

Randy, :-)

When you are trying to work out a Xmas prezzie for me — can I have a pair of your rose-tinted glasses, please? :-)

Actually, we had so much of the possession, and that backs your opinion, but the pen was fortunate — and that was what turned the game.

Is all I’m saying! :D

227. Who wants to see some gloaty Spud tweets at 1-0 down,……here goes!

Now just imagine them all crying in their beer…..feels good don’t it!

228. Adrian says:

I agree that give pod a few chances and he’ll definitely score at least one. He’s more clinical in my book than giroud is.

Thanks GN5, yes Giroud must get the assist for the penalty he ‘won’ :lol:

I thought someone said Theo got an assist – the picture oon my stream was so poor I couldn’t identify the players

230. hmm my own comment wnet in mod…..too many link probably let me go and unmod myself!

GiE your swingometer’s cup is half full :lol:

232. Norfolk Gooner says:

Lucky to get the penalty as the corner before it should have been a goal kick. Watch the replays carefully and you will see that Giroud had as much of the defenders shirt as he had Giroud’s. 50/50 at best..

Who gives a monkeys we’ve got the three points and third place for a while at least.

233. Janman says:

BR: To be honest we can outplay teams all day long but it is the end result that counts. Sure we out played them but we were not doing too much until after we scored the penalty. I am certainly not complaining but I will say luck is on our side at the moment and no matter how much you dominate we also need a little bit of luck to carry us through. Also we are mentally strong at the moment and I think we believe in ourselves more now than we did before!

A little something from a Spud blog…

Razspur
    April 13, 2013 at 3:37 pm
    “Podolski hits the bar 78 mins. Still 1-0 Norwich at the Emirates. Get the drink out.”

235. Sav from Australia says:

Yeah Rocky the ref was dodgy. But victory is all the sweeter for his antics.

After we nicked those 3 points today, a draw against Everton won’t be a disaster. Had we lost today it would be a must win. The spuds will be dropping more points than us in the last few games.

GIE;

Sorry but frankly (even I understand the intent) I’ve always found the projection to be chart a tad meaningless. We now have 59 points which according the chart means we will only gain one more point this season????

The only possible purpose seems to be to prove that projections are unpredictable.

Norfolk
    All true – but the free kick that led to their goal wasn’t a free kick either. The Canary ran past the back of Gibbs and tripped over his heels. If anything it should have been a foul in our favour.

Personally I though the ref gave us nothing today – and if the lino hadn’t been honest we might not have ended up with the points.

We weren’t good today, but the EPL table looks a lot sweeter tonight :)

240. Manthan says:

Raspy,

Assists is confirmed now Giourd for penalty, Ox for Own goal and Theo for Poldi goal..:D

Just two wins behind Citeh :)

242. GN5 but I haven’t updated it yet!!!

The projection is now 63 slowly slowly my friend…..to be fair i like to use it in the early part of the season most as it takes out the freaks, for example early on some teams were flying high like WBA and people were talking about them as a surprise success, yet they had pretty much matched their results from the same fixtures last season, so assuming that would continue they would end up where they finished the previous year and the league position was an anomaly of their fixture timings not any real improvement.

So …. am I giving Giroud 2 assists and the Ox 1?

I thought Tommy V did fine today, although our team defending for their goal was poor. Nevertheless, BFG back in for the Toffees please.

Ok thanks Manthan, I’ll take your word for it :P

I appreciate your efforts GiE :)

247. Manthan says:

Gervinho was again pathetic today he had clear cut chance but poor first touch and his final ball making decision is very pathetic.. He is very good player but won’t be success in EPL. As soon as he was subistuted we started penetrating more and were looking more dangerous.

GIE;

But even now it would mean only gaining 4 points out of our last 18,

249. Norfolk Gooner says:

Rocky,

Don’t get me wrong, we have enough bad decisions from refs so I’m not complaining. Maybe today’s awards will even things up a bit.

I can hear the gnashing of my neighbour’s teeth with all the windows and doors closed. :D Just loving it!

Rasp Theo did get an assist – so sorry to be misleading.

251. Rob Lucchi says:

MOM, The Ox.

when he came on he brings one thing that we lack all game, ‘Drive’ or as Micky said it, ‘THRUST’, and that’s why we missed Rosicky so much today. We need drive to open up parked bus defense.

Ramsey is a close second. He’s the new Romford Pele.

252. Norfolk Gooner says:

Whisper it quietly, my Spuds supporting wife is none too pleased either. :-)

Rob
    That would be a good Post – “Is Ramsey the new Romford Pele?” :)

254. “GunnerN5 says:
    April 13, 2013 at 5:35 pm (Edit)
    GIE;

But even now it would mean only gaining 4 points out of our last 18″

And your point is? :D

We only managed 9 in 18 at the end of last season, and i’ll say it again:

Wigan Home Lost
    Man Ure Home Lost
    QPR Away Lost
    Newcastle Away Draw
    Everton Home Win
    Fulham Away Lost

4 points…..so we have to do a lot better in those games this year thats what my table is supposed to show, and it does…..it is not a prediction

No worries GN5, all the widgets are now updated and everything looks so much healthier.

Compared to the same stage as last season,:

We are the same position in the league – 3rd :P

7 better in goal difference = 29/22

2 points worse in points total – but we only got 9 points out of 18 from this point last season

…and we’ve already scored 4 more goals in all comps than at the end of last season

256. evonne says:

and where is DidIt? He will no doubt come alone now and say it was plain sailing again!!! Then I will kill him

They drove me insane today, but all is well, 3 points, 3rd spot, me is happy happy happy again

….. Robin who ????

The defending was poor for their goal though :(

259. Very poor Rasp, I believe in those positions you have two options, start on the 6 yard box and force them to try and get it through via power, or hold a disciplined high line to stop them being able to put it on the 6 yard box with everyone running at the goal.

But as i say it was in an horrible position to setup a defensive line because it was close enough to shoot from and so needed a wall which took the line deeper than you would like.

The Manc derby showed the weakness of the first option above, we tried to do the second but without the organisation and discipline of BFG we got bullied into dropping too early.

It was actually a well worked free kick because the threat of putting it on the 6 yard box forced our defence to drop, which left acres for the third runner to head home. Hughton has some clever free kicks in his tactics book, he was very good with Newcastle too.

260. I would love to know where BBC get their stats from!!

Arsenal 49% Norwich 51%

According to 442 and Sky Sports

Arsenal 68% Norwich 32%

261. Red Arse says:

Rocky,

There have been many games when we were badly served by referees and fate.
    Many is the time we have had 20 shots on target against 2 or 3 by the oppo, and had 70% possession and only drawn or even lost to dodgy penalties, fluke shots and offside goals, so I don’t care about the pendulum swinging. :D

What does worry me tho’ is the lacklustre performance, simply because luck only carries a team so far.

262. just seen a stat that surprised me:

Arsenal have scored more goals in the last 15 minutes of matches than any other team

Fitness? Mentality? Substitutions :D ?

Arsenal’s 18 goals is more than any other Premier League team in the last 15 minutes of matches this season.

Agreed GiE, I hate to say it, but I think Hughton is a good manager. Now Pardew’s honeymoon period is over, we’ll see if he really deserved to replace him at toon.

The BBC possession stats are always wrong and often show us having less possession. You’d think they would revise their system when every other independent analysis (opta) shows a different picture.

Redders
    I can’t disagree with that.
    Funnily enough I expect us to be better against Everton because they are a better team.

It’s the other games against relegation battlers that worry me.

I reckon the Beeb have some old codger with a stopwatch.

A RELIEVED WIN WOULD BE AN UNDERSTATEMENT.
    sO MANY TIMES THIS SEASON WE HAVE STARTED GAMES (ESPECIALLY AT hOME) IN A LETHARGIC WAY, NO PACE, MISPLACED PASSES oops sorry capitals, and we need a jolt up the arse when we go behind.
    Hopefully Pod is now fit. I can’t accept we missed Rosicky as though h has been outstanding these last couple of matches he hasn’t played all season.
    just hope Jack didn’t play on “the red light” today as he obviously wasn’t fit.

Our achilles heel is set piece defending it is terrible yet again, everton will not be so generous.

GIE;

I called it a projection chart not a prediction chart, but I’m still trying to figure out what it does to help us in understanding where we may end our season. As I pointed out previously very few of our results in 2011/12 were identical to 2010/11, which in effect makes projections as unreliable as predictions – sorry to belabour the issue..

270. Red Arse says:

Me too, Rocky! :-)

271. Red Arse says:

You have a point, Kelsey, but if they did what GIE suggested, hold a less deep line and just let them run offside, we would not have the problem.

However, that does rely on the assistant ref to call it offside, and I think the players just do not trust them to do their job – understandably.

How about that cameo from the OX? He needs to be used more. He is far more dynamic than Theo and has much more natural skill, and dribbling technique.

Just saying!

We were on the upside of luck today, Giroud’s penalty was dodgy, at best, and Walcott was offside – but frankly who gives a damn?

Plain sailing

Podolski had nine goals and nine assists in the Prem. Considering how little he plays that’s quite impressive.

275. Just ignore it then GN5 :D

Sorry, thought Id let Dear Evonne stew over that comment for a moment or two
    Great to see Peaches and meet G8
    As for Ant n Duck, well…. I think thimgs are actually going to turn ugly sooner than later. Today our feathered friends actually rolled into the boozer with a pallet of their own warm cider
    Football was alright of you lile that sort of thing
    Three goal comebacks and stuff

277. Adrian says:

Podolski as the lone striker for the Everton game please! That man can finish..

278. Adrian, finishing isn’t the only thing an Arsenal striker needs to do. He needs to be much better as a link up man to replace Giroud in the position. And be able to go and win aerials or at least try to, so far we haven’t seen that kind of work rate from Pod.

279. SharkeySuresGhost says:

I wish I’d read the blog before heading to the stadium today…if I’d known GiEs parents were there I’d have been much more relaxed.

As it was I couldn;t watch Arteta’s pen…and watching it back on the big screen I’m so glad I didn’t suffer that heart stopping moment of seeing the GK going the same way as Mikels pen.

Alls well that ends well…3pts in the bag !!!

280. SharkeySuresGhost says:

Cracking pre match Randy, as stated above, only wish I’d read it earlier !!

I’ll have a quick trawl thru the almost 300 comments – back in 3-4 hrs ??

281. SharkeySuresGhost says:

Had hoped to make it to the Tavern for pre match nerve settlers, but Mrs SSG saw the works and introduced her spanner…as is her penchant.

Having looked through the in-game comments , I’m so pleased I was at the game. What is the point of such negativity? Three points and the score at 95 minutes is all that matters. Then again in-game comments have always been the same whatever blog you’re on.

283. Rob Lucchi says:

haha

284. William McGoonagal says:

MATCH STATS

ArsenalNorwich City
    14(7) Shots (on goal) 5(4)
    10 Fouls 11
    9 Corner kicks 3
    3 Offsides 4
    68% Time of Possession 32%
    1 Yellow Cards 2
    0 Red Cards 0
    3 Saves 4
    I think the best team won …according to soccernet stats. Stephen Fry and Alan Davies sitting together?

285. Rob Lucchi says:

286. Strus says:

My predicton says: 70 points for averaging displays home&away to the end of the season.
    Dectech Predictor gives 71 points.
    Statto gave 68 before today’s match. EuroClubIndex gave 69. jameswgrayson gave 69

Micky. Sounds like a great day out.

IMO Theo was our MoM. Superb cameo.

RA. Rose tinted specs are de rigeur in BRWorld. .

As Kelsey often says, I see a different game to him. What I see is a team that tries and often succeeds to play imaginative football. Some of our first time control is almost magical.

We Arsenal fans are so spoilt that when a pass goes astray we moan, instead of reflecting upon the hundreds that find the man or are anticipated by good defending. Today was a good example – fans got uppity because an Arteta pass went into touch, ignoring the fact that Arteta is close to the top of passers in the PL this season. I know it is an emotional game but aren’t the fans meant to support the team?

You could see the effect of Gervinho’s misses upon his game. After an energetic though wasteful start he disappeared because he no longer felt comfortable on the ball. What does this say about our home support? How does a fragile confidence player play well under such scrutiny?

Yes, today wasn’t the best performance but I genuinely believe we deserved to win because we were the better team.

Rant Over. Now to bask in 5 wins out of 6 games.

Chas
    Some of the negative comments were prompted by all the moans and groans coming from the stadium :)

Maybe the TV crew just had their microphones near a particularly negative set of home fans.

289. What is wrong with Millwall fans? Ok I know I shouldn’t tar them all with the same brush but sounds like they are all fighting against themselves in the stand at Wembley….classy

2nd best news of the day was QPR losing again. Bye Bye Harry.

291. Ant says:

Micky is lovely! Another easy win… I have no idea why you are all so worried? That lino deserves a knighthood! Let’s all laugh at the Spuds..

292. William McGoonagal says:

“Joseph Jaffe ‏@jaffejuice 2h
    There is no doubt in my mind that the linesman was paid off #corruption – BPL needs to investigate #coys”

Is this sperz twit guilty of libel ? any legal eagles online??

Rocky,
    Yep we had a few w*nkrs near us as usual thinking that moaning will help the team in some inexplicable way

294. Ant says:

3 points full stop

295. Gooner In Exile says:

Any early leavers?

I do like to imagine the whingers just leaving stadium fate to hear first cheer, then second cheer as they walk down the Armoury steps then 3rd cheer as they make it to Arsenal tube station.

Seriously what is the point of going to football if you can’t stay to the end?

And if you don’t like crowds sit have a coffee for half hour.

296. Gooner In Exile says:

Back on Millwall 5live commentators are making it sound pretty bad….did FA get it wrong making their semi final a 5pm kick off? Too much drinking time with a London team involved?

Why can’t they kick off at 3pm?

297. Ant says:

Loads a early leavers as always! Their loss! Ha ha

298. William McGoonagal says:

I thought Millwall were members only any football trouble you get a life membership ban?
    (is this the ug-erly untalented member of singing dancing combo ‘Blue’?
    “Antony Costa ‏@AntonyCosta 2h
    “@JoshuaWynne: There is a football God out there that does not like us! #THFC”absolutely right fella ..gutted
    View conversation”)

299. Ant says:

Just off to play Micky at left handed back to front table football with a punk legend .. Dearly departed! “and I beat him at pool”

300. dandan says:

BR 6.55 Well said agree 100%. Listened to Nigel W. on Arsenal Player and he felt A goal was coming as we were by far the better side and deserved our win. He was watching and his opinion will do for me. Interestingly he said his heart rate races watching the team far more than it ever did playing for it.

301. Ant says:

A pallet.. Micky!:)

302. Ant says:

BR .. I agree with every word.. And just tucking into whale on toast!

303. Ant says:

I think Evonne went to a game some time ago.. But maybe I dreamt it!

This is Spud Hughton’s quote after the game:
    “A decision has gone against us that a linesman has given from 45 to 50 yards away and the referee is less than 10 yards away.
    “For a linesman to give it from that distance, and the third goal was offside and it was 10 yards away from him, it’s almost criminal on a day that we deserved so much more.
    “It’s not as if you’ll show it back and [the referee’s] view was blocked. He had a clear view and didn’t give it and the linesman did and that’s really tough on us. We gave a really good account of ourselves for 85 minutes. We need to bounce back but we showed a lot of character and a lot of good things.”

I hope (but doubt) the interviewer said to him: “Yes Chris, but was it a penalty?”

Answer would have to be: Yes.

The North American commentary coverage was appalling. Tony Gale went on and on and on about it – but earlier when a Canary defender used his upper arm to block a goal bound shot it was dismissed in a second.

305. Ant says:

The first goal given by a telescopic Lino and the third was offside… Here hee

I love the Spuds getting a persecution complex :D

They think they have been out of the CL for years because of a conspiracy. In fact it’s because they’re Spuds and, therefore, useless.

307. Adrian says:

Fair enough GIE, but if we’re speaking purely on link up play Giroud didn’t really do enough of that today too. Too many unsuccessful fancy flicks attempted. On the other he has always looked somewhat clumsy to me whenever hes in the box. Though you’re right about Giroud’s work rate, it is indeed better than Pod’s. Guess only more games will tell, though I honestly would like to see Pod given more chances to play as the lone striker.

Ant…lovely!!!!!
    Ok, I am now really worried. First The Granny, now The Daddy!
    Two Gerv moaners next to me, but I “corrected” them, and in fairness to them, once I explained how much I like “taker-onners” they calmed down. These people like great goals, but hate the fact that you need to attempt a few that will fail.
    Absolutely loved the game.
    Back in hotel, and off down for a nibble. Back shortly.

309. evonne says:

Micky – you were there???!!! Good man! And there is me thinking your are a plastic fan :)

Re negative comments and early leavers. Just before the penalty I was crying; frustration, anger, disappointment all kicked in. I was sobbing ‘they must be the only team not to beat Norwich at home’. I threw a few fecks for good measure too, put my willies on and got ready for the woods. And then that was that penalty…..plain sailing after :)

Millwal fans are scum, brainless twants. did any of you see the one who nicked copper’s hat? My dear god…..

evonne, you put your willies on !!!! really, blimey :)

Where are you staying Micky?

312. evonne says:

I did, on my feet :) see what a game like today’s can do to ones spirit? I can fly !!!!!!! still cannot spell though

In case we forget, Fabianski made a vital save with his foot.

I can’t remember whether we had just levelled or just gone ahead, but it was well done.

He also seemed to have decided (or been told) not to come for crosses, which is probably a good thing.

We now know for sure that all will be well as long as Evonne has her willies on :-)
    Rocky
    Birmingham till weds. Doing a food show at the NEC
    Damn can you imagine leaving early (ever obviously) but missing a comeback like today. “you must have really enjoyedthe game today Darling”
    “well, I would have. Problem is I’m a complete twat”

So you’re back in Brum now Micky?

Hope you enjoyed a celebration beer or two on the train.

316. Gooner In Exile says:

“These people like great goals, but hate the fact that you need to attempt a few that will fail.”

That Micky is getting my vote for comment of the season!

The Spud (and media) conspiracy theorists who think out penalty award was dodgy are asking the wrong question.

The question should not be “why did the Lino give it?”

It should be “why DIDN’T the ref give it?”

In a generally poor performance I thought the ref gave the benefit of the doubt in Norwich’a favour almost all the time.

Part of Jack’s problem may have been the repeated clobberings he got in the first half, all of which went unpunished.

318. Hi all

Brilliant day, rollercoaster at it’s most scary and rewarding :lol:

What ever you think of the way we played – and it was tedious for long periods – to end the game like that is the stuff of dreams and the reason I love football and best of all my Arsenal.

I feel sorry for all those that left early, they missed the most amazing roar when we scored the third. I had already sang myself hoarse and the North Bank was rocking. I can’t wait for Tuesday night :D

Best of all, I nabbed GoonerB to write the match report while I was in the Tavern and so I just sat and watched my team win :)

319. In case you all run and hide as soon as you spy my legs let me re-iterate that GoonerB is writing a match report :)

GiE
    I cnnot remember the last time I enjoyed the “effect” of a game so much.
    Losing would have been really grim. AW made the changes and what a result.
    Rocky
    Virgin express from euston to brum airport/NEC an hour and ten
    Local scale travel to my usual round trip :-)

321. The ref was rubbish, he gave us nothing.

322. When Norwich had their shot that was saved by Fab with his feet, there was a collective NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO from the ladies that sit around me – pantomime stuff, fantastic :)

323. Did I mention that I really enjoyed the game :P

Nice one Peaches!

However ploddy we were for much of the match you can’t fault the effort to get back.

I think we did it this way just to make the Spuds suffer more :)

MOTM?

The lino who gave the pen…………top man.

Peaches,

it’s like you’ve been to the beach,you’re still feeling the glow.

Ha ha Rocky
    I met Peaches after the game for the walk to Finsbury Pk and we talked about ruinning spud werkends
    Losing with five mins to play
    All together now…… ROLF

Millwall fans remind me why the game I love to watch above all is called Football and not Soccer.

LB, He was brilliant – he also missed Walcott being offside on the 3rd goal..

Ah LB, what a pleasant surprise (Bond voice. Strokes pussy).
    Interesting question though who was MOTM
    AW must be in with a shout

331. Ramsey i think Micky

I’d go Ramsey. Interesting to see who GunnerB plumps for. There’s not an obvious candidate.

Hello LB :)

333. Why is it whenever a player has a good run for us he becomes a target for some other feckin club?

Koscielny wanted by Bayern (and Guardiola) apparently…..can we just let them have TV5?

334. What’s happened to Szczesny? Anyone have any news on him?

I find it staggering that Norwich with their anti-football bus-parking tactics think they deserve anything at all from that game. Thank Dennis the footballing gods got it right again.

336. chas – I made a wish for the football fairy to put in an appearance after Norwich scored and I think she did ;)

337. Raddy – love the introduction of ‘bokk’ to the AA vocabulary :)

Peaches :-D

My MoM- Ramsey for 80 mins and Theo for 15

evonne. Did you notice the Polish in the post?

339. Gooner In Exile says:

Haha just watched MotD….Hansen “6 to 1 half a dozen the other”, Moyes “not a pen”, Keown “Norwich defender starts it, Girouds arm comes out as reaction”.

It’s a pen end of, ref was crap, asst ref got it right.

Anyway Moyes will have no complaints Tuesday if BFG hangs on to Fellaini at every corner.

340. 26may1989 says:

Evening all.

Well, having just gone through the day’s comments, and having been at the game today, I have to say, I’m very surprised at the level of the negativity of many of the comments during the match. It wasn’t a top performance, but we were dominant in the first half, albeit without achieving sufficient penetration. We had a bad 20-minute patch after halftime, but overall the result was right.

Ramsey was absolutely excellent in the first half, and just about as good in the second, despite the team’s energy being wrong for the third quarter of the game. Clear man of the match to me. Fabianski, Gibbs, Sagna, Koscielny, Vermaelen, Walcott, Podolski and Chamberlain all did well for me.

Gervinho got plenty of criticism, and wasn’t great, but he was giving it a go, and created much of what was interesting in terms of chances in the first half (of which there was little). By contrast, Santi, Arteta and Wilshere were poor.

Giroud was poor too, but fairplay to him for getting on the end of Ox’s cross. I would like to see Poldi get the striker’s spot on Tuesday, surely the time has arrived.

The penalty that was given was absolutely the right decision, just a shame it required the linesman to do the referee’s job for him. People talk about Giroud having a hold of Kamara’s shirt as well, and say that must mean it’s 50:50. I disagree because (a) Kamara was the one to start the shirt grabbing, trying to make up for being in the wrong position and (b) Giroud was the one who was pulled to the ground, preventing him getting to the ball coming across him, whereas Giroud’s grab had no impact on Kamara. I just can’t see how anyone can fail to call it a penalty, at least when the replay is shown.

And we should have had two other penalties: Ramsey fouled in the first half, and Walcott in the second. Plus the free-kick from which Norwich scored was a bad call. OK, we did benefit from being given a corner we probably shouldn’t have got (from which the penalty was given) and offside wasn’t given in the build-up to the third when it shouldn’t. But overall, the incompetence of the referee was even in terms of its effect.

However, he was absolutely crap. Aside from the big decisions he got wrong, there were all sorts of smaller calls he got wrong and inconsistencies (most obviously booking Sagna for a foul but not various Norwich players for similar fouls).

We’ll need to be better on Tuesday, with Miralles and Anichebe looking good in the MOTD highlights and clearly in form. But we deserved our three points today – scoring late goals isn’t all about luck, it’s as much about determination, concentration and fitness.

Three points, seven wins in eight matches and up into third position. What a lovely set of numbers.

341. evonne says:

Morning all, waiting for the Match of the Day
    How nice it is to want to see the game again, and again, and again
    One way or another poor Spurs are having a lasagne on us again

Raddy – I did, but I thought it was a typo :) Where did you get that one from?

342. evonne says:

Oh yeah, amidst lots of crying and swearing I was saying ‘I bet you any money Arteta will miss that penalty, I know he will, we’ve lost the game…’ Yeeppeeeeee I lost a tenner :)

Why are people going on about the penalty? I thought it was a definite penalty and well spotted by the linesman, no?

343. Gooner In Exile says:

It was Evonne, but they are bleating because the referee was closer and therefore in best position to give it….why was linesman getting involved.

For me it’s quite simple, the linesman knows the ref is shite or chicken to make big calls so decided to take matters into his own hands.

To expect him to spot Theo was offside when the players are right in front of him takes no account of how far the ball had travelled. It was great to see Giroud flick that on and dispense with the defender at same time, again pundits are calling it a foul, yet they used to praise Shearer and Drogba for that type of challenge.

344. evonne says:

Thanks GiE, I like to have my opinions confirmed by authorities

We shall not, we shall not be moved, we shall not, we shall not be moved!!.

Morning all
    Funny you say that evonne as every time Arteta takes a penalty I get a flashback to the one he missed in the last minute against Fulham and we finished up drawing instead of winning.

I will be totally honest with all the regulars on here my mind is partially on other things at the moment with a huge move coming up and my daughter’s health and I suppose being cautious about this season often drifts into negativity.

Anyone who watched the whole game surely must agree that we were pretty awful in the first half again against a side who currently are totally out of form and I keep saying to myself as the recent poll showed “why are we so inconsistent”.
    Wenger got it right with his subs but hand on heart did any one of you expect us to go one nil down again from a set piece and then once again chase the game.
    Why does this happen so often. I really have doubts about Wenger now.
    I still think we have the makings of a good team but if we are really going to spend in the Summer I don’t want to see for example a centre forward play ninety percent of the game on the wing.
    The goalkeeping position really intrigues me.Fab out of contract, Mannonne isn’t good enough and who knows as I said at the outset what’s going on with Szsney.
    Sagna may leave, Arshavin is retiring, a player i always wanted to come good, Park the joke buy of recent years, Squillacci no loss, bendtner,does anyone really want him, Chamakh a total waste of money,denilson being released even though on loan, Santos a quick decision as a bad buy, and the list goes on.
    The counter argument is that we are on a roll are scoring as good as anyone and if we really can cut our loses on many players and bring in say 2 or 3 quality players we could actually challenge.
    I don’t know who actually makes the decisions about zonal marking or if peyton is the right goalkeeper coach but these points need addressing as do the future of Diaby and the awful track record of injuries to Gibbs and Rosicky.

Still twists and turns to come and I would say Everton at home will define our season if we qualify for CL or not.

When MotD get rid of the anti-Arsenal buffoons who present their show we may get an even hand.

No surprise that they love Liverpool and Spurs is there?

GIE. Shearer and Mark Hughes were the dirtiest players I have seen. Yes, there are midfield hard men and defenders who go through a player but at least they are honest in their violence as opposed to elbow digs, ankle kicks etc.

347. Gooner In Exile says:

Kelsey do you really expect Bould (if responsible for defensive coachin) to coach something other than zonal when it is the system that he and the rest of the famous back 5 used?

348. evonne says:

Kelsey ‘Where is Szsney, why are there persistent rumours that certain players are unhappy in the position that they are asked to play ?’ Are you suggesting that Wojtek doesn’t want to be our goalie anymore :)

I love GiE’s ‘Moyes will have no complains when Mert hangs off Feleini at every corner’ :)

kelsey. Decent summation for an old fellow.

Szczesny is interesting. Not even on the bench and relegated to the U-21’s. How does that improve his mental state? We are surely buying a GK in summer.

Who will give money for a player who cannot even break into a poor West Ham team? Or NB? Or Park & Santos? No-one will. They will stay until their contracts run out. Not even sure anyone will take them on loan. Then there is Frimps and Myachi. It can’t be easy managing the players who fall by the wayside and are on huge wages.

The defending for the Norwich goal was horrible, thankfully BFG is back for Everton. Having a GK who is rooted to his line because his handling at crosses is so insecure doesn’t assist the defence either.

GIe
    Good point,but it’s not working.

evonne, I am not suggesting anything as I just get the feeling that the axe has fallen on him and vermaelen after the horse has bolted.The ruthless streak of AW has come back with a vengence.

………..New Post ………………