Boing Boing : Rosicky Wins It

Away at the Hawthorns was never looking like a comfortable ride, Arsenal were liking to make it three wins aim a row in the Premier Legue and put ourselves 4th and breathing down the necks of Spurs.

Wenger named an unnamed side, which given the performance at home to Reading seemed a fair thing to do.

The thing I like most about this midfield is its fluidity, Gervinho, Cazorla and Rosicky take themselves across the pitch, which means that even an organised defence like WBA’s has trouble tracking runs.

ros 3

The first goal being a case in point, Arteta floated a perfectly weighted pass into the penalty area, Gervinho had run from inside right to the left side if the penalty area to collect unchallenged despite 4/5 defenders being close by and only Giroud for company, not one for rushing Gervinho waited for support finally cutting back and aiming a cross come shot to the fat post, Rosicky had joined the attack and arrived unmarked to head home from the 6 yard box.

This wasn’t Rosicky’s first action of the half having earlier cleared off the line with a very good header. In truth the Arsenal goal had come against the run of play, Fabianski had already been called into action but generally the new found defensive strength was holding strong.

We did seem to apply the handbrake after the goal and attacks were infrequent, Gervinho forcing Foster to save well with his feet and after fantastic interplay round the box by Santi and Giroud, Ramsey missed when it seemed easier to score. His recent performances have deserved a goal.

Half time 1-0 up and half job done.

Soon after the restart Rosicky had doubled the advantage, collecting a ball by Ramsey to fire a shot that Foster saved well, Rosicky followed in his own shot and fired low and hard past Foster. The celebration said it all.

Seemingly coasting to the win this wouldn’t be Arsenal unless they put us through the mill a bit, and this they did when the BFG found himself out of position for the first time in the afternoon and lunged to prevent Long collecting and going through on goal unchallenged. Red card and penalty, it is easy to argue that Per should have let Long continue but that’s a big ask of even the most calm of defenders.

A fraught half hour or so followed as WBA with crowd full of support bombarded the box in search of an equaliser. We managed to hold firm and the backslapping at the final whistle showed how important this game was.

Ratings

Fabianski 6.5 – some good shot stops, but a bit weak on crosses and kicking was weak this afternoon.

Sagna 6.5 – crossing poor, slightly out of position when BFG forced to bring down Long

Koscielny – 8 solid performance

Mertesacker – 6.5 losing 1 point for not staying in his feet

Monreal 7 – starting to settle in PL

Arteta 7 – quiet and efficient performance

Ransey – 8 another solid showing and a goal sure to come soon

Rosicky – 8.5 MotM two goals, one goal line clearance.

Cazorla – 7.5 quieter day for the Spanish magician

Gervinho – 8 stretched WBA with his pace and movement

Giroud – 7 quiet day for the big man, worked hard as ever.

Subs

Gibbs – 7 steady

Vermaelen – 7.5 held firm for last thirty minutes

Coquelin – 6.5 quiet

Written by Gooner in Exile

47 Responses to Boing Boing : Rosicky Wins It

1. Good post thanks I did not see any highlights of the match but I’ve seen the goals on SSN this morning.
    It does not say who wrote it and also Ramsey is spelt wrong .
    Not been able to post here lately been busy
    Much love
    Sheep hagger™

2. Norfolk Gooner says:

Good morning to you all,

Three very valuable points won yesterday in a match that was by no means easy.

It’s maybe a bit churlish to criticise the team after the last twenty minutes of heroic defending but much of it could have been avoided. I don’t blame Meretesacker for giving away the penalty, he had no choice but to attempt to win the ball and was a fraction of a second away from pulling off a brilliant tackle.

The game should have been put to bed much earlier, Ramsey missed the chance of the season, having watched numerous replays I still can’t see how he contrived to put the ball wide of the post from the position he was in. Other good scoring chances were spurned and we have to say a massive thank you to Rosicky for two goals and a goal line clearance.

Once Merts had gone we lost all shape and ran around like headless chickens. Please can someone introduce to Fabianski the concept of passing the ball to his own players. Time after time he punted the ball up field towards the completely isolated figure of Giroud with the inevitable result that possession was lost and the pressure re-applied. On one occasion he even put the ball directly into touch on the half way line, unbelievable!

Why is it that we can pass the ball around almost with impunity for seventy minutes but are unable to string two passes together in the last twenty?

Still, as I said in my first sentence, three very valuable points won, for which we must be very grateful

3. Norfolk Gooner says:

Good write up Mr. Anon.

A bit generous with some of the ratings, Ramsey should be docked at least a point for the miss, and so should Fabianski for his atrocious distribution.

4. The font says:

The best thing yesterday was the return of the well overdue chant of
    ONE ARSENE WENGER keep it up lads . the hairs on the back of my neck were raised by the red army chant when we were under the cosh for the last ten minutes you could see the players were lifted by it COYG

5. 26may1989 says:

Morning all.

Excellent write up, Exile, agree with every word and number.

Funny to see how some of the objects of most hate and ridicule from some quarters (Gervinho, Ramsey, Rosicky and Fabianski) were the most important performers yesterday.

Lovely to see the boys maintain form for the run-in. I’m sure plenty of us will be keeping a close eye on our London rivals’ games today, hoping for further dropped points.

Interesting comments from Fergie, saying that Arsenal are building a good squad and will be better next season.

6. julian says:

Giroud needs support

7. Gooner In Exile says:

Morning all, tres quiet still….but then like me probably out enjoying the long awaited sunshine, just sitting waiting for pub lunch with dog at feet and George in pushchair and me and Mrs Exile ale in hand….all is good with world.

Sorry about misspellings etc, I was finishing report as George was waiting for feed and it was my turn……I say waiting but really I mean screaming the house down. :D

8. Adrian says:

What a goal by Mirallas.. Cmon everton.

Good write up GiE

I like the sound of your pub lunch :)

Norfolk
    I couldn’t agree more about the long kick-outs from Fabianski in the last 20. It was idiotic. I don’t really blame Giroud – it was very hard for him to keep possession from them when he was one against three.

10. Bayonne Jean says:

Really liked the misspelling on “fat post”; “far” and “near” are so yesterday, “fat” and “lean” nicely descriptive. Gunners should always shoot at lean posts, defend fat posts; Spurs just the opposite.

Speaking of Spurs, they have lips firmly gripping the exhaust pipe vs. Toffees. While my actuarial instincts would prefer a draw when two contenders meet (4 points collectively dropped is better than 3 singularly), it is Spurs, after all….

11. 26may1989 says:

Spurs and Chelsea losing, love it!

12. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Anichebi :roll:

Spuds and Toffees draw. Good result for us.
    Altogether now: “oh when the wheels… Come falling off…”

It’s back in our hands.

Good stuff.

Come on Sunderland!

14. Lovely one and a half results so far today…..come on Sunderland make it a perfect day!!!

You see that’s what thursday night football does,too many important games at the end of the season and without basically a man to cover each position one eventually gets found out.
    That’s why as i don’t expect massive spending by us despite a clear out we must finish top 4 or in the worse scenario finish 6th though that is highly unlikely.

Two very jammy goals for the Chavs.

17. Belfastgooner says:

Would someone update the league projection table on the side bar please? Very irritating seeing us with a predicted 6th finish on 57 points as the lads have obviously kicked on from the last update in March. Great win yesterday. Great Sunday too!

18. neamman says:

great bresult at the spuds.. if they and Chelsea draw and we win!!!!

Perfect result tat WHL.

Chavs were extremely lucky today – you will not see two more fortunate goals

GIE. Thanks for stepping in and writing the post. Agree with the numbers though I thought Fabianski was worse than Sagna.

I would like to see Szczesny back. Thinking of whom, he wasn’t even on the bench yesterday. Hope all is well with him.

21. Gooner In Exile says:

Belfast I am responsible for that widget, although the projection will not have moved much as the games left are ones we did poorly in last season. (ManU L, QPR L, Wigan L, Norwich D, Fulham L, Everton W, Newcastle D) 4 points, The negative swing to date will be applied to 4 points so probably will see us still projected 5th :(

At this stage of the seasons predictors become more revealing, but I’m not going to be the one who puts it up there.

22. Gooner In Exile says:

Raddy I was thinking about both Szczesny and Verm today and also about BFGs suspension. By making the change to centre half and goalkeeper at the same time we can’t say for definite who has made the bigger difference.

BFGs enforced 1 game rest will tell us whether Vermaelen’s or Szczesny’s dropping had the biggest effect…..my view it was Vermaelen’s absence that has improved our defence.

BR
    I feel much safer with Fab than with Szcz.

Fab is far from perfect and still seems all at sea with crosses, but his shot stopping and handling were excellent yesterday.

Unfortunately I don’t think Szcz is a great stopper on a consistent basis. He spills an awful lot of balls and also lets shots go through him that seem very stoppable.

Obviously, like all professional ‘keepers, he also makes outstanding saves from time to time (like the double save at Anfield last year), but for me he is not consistent enough.

RL. We disagree. I think the defence suffers because Fab is so insecure on crosses. Furthermore, Fab’s distribution is awful.

Both faults can be improved but so too with Chesney.

We need better

BR
    We need better than both – I agree with that.

But our recent solidity seems to point towards the defence feeling safer with Fab behind them…

Right now it would be totally foolhardy to put Szczesny back in goal. We have been very solid with Fabianski holding fort and to drop him now would kill his confidence.

That said we definitely need a better keeper than either of them.

27. Gooner in Exile says:

So we are writing off a 22 year old keeper after one “average” season?

I can’t agree with you on anything these days Raddy except you are bald and i am not :)

I agree GunnerN5, but he is out of contract isn’t he. keepers are not one of Wenger’s fortes

manninger was a great prospect and Wenger ruined him by giving Seaman one more year. Szsney will come good if his father keeps out of it and he has plenty of time,but we need an older hand if Fab goes.I have been saying that for 2/3 seasons. by the way almunia played well against cardiff

GiE
    Not writing him off.
    I don’t know if he’ll turn out to be good enough, and I’d be happy for him to stay as Number 2 and keep learning. But I think we need a finished article ‘keeper if we are to seriously challenge next year.

I know you rate him and with you experience I rate that and am prepared to believe that I’m missing something – but he worries me.

32. Gooner In Exile says:

Cheers Rocky, I think the problem stems from being in at the deepend with us….I rate him higher than DeGea who makes as many misjudgements as Fab on crosses etc, but DeGea has a very experienced defence in front of him so in the main he can concentrate on shot stopping (which he is good at if not at times unorthodox) and the area commanding can come later.

I think Szcesny has not been helped by the defence in front of him, and the fact he has been thrown in the deep end at a young age.

Compare him to Hart who had had one full season in PL with Birmingham before going back to City. Signed by City at 19 he had loan periods with Tranmere and Blackpool before Birmingham having had one season as first choice before the arrival of Given.

He came back at 23, Szczesny was playing in the Camp Nou at 20, he has a lot to learn!

Well done GIE for stepping into the breach.

I presume it was our inebriated state, but Ant and me thought we were in almost total control for the first 65 minutes before Brunt had their first clear effort on goal. West Brom were exceedingly lack lustre and the atmosphere at the Hawthorns reflected it. The whole ground seemed amazed Lukaku wasn’t starting.

Our second goal seemed to relax the players somewhat, which led to a slight slackening off. It’s easy to ask the players to keep to a game plan regardless of the score; much harder to get them to do it once you go 2-0 up.

In a strange way, Fabianski coming for crosses seems to give the defence more confidence, even if he did miss a couple. Once he stopped coming in the last part of the game, we looked far more shaky.

As for the swingometer, I’ve said before that it is impossible to compare the result of a game against a team in consecutive seasons without taking into account when in the season the fixture was/is taking place. For instance, Newcastle away 2011/2 first game of the season before the transfer window has shut, Newcastle away 2012/3 last game of the season. Even with one game to go it’ll be based on dodgy data.

A prediction of Liverpool getting 15 points out of their last six games and us getting 4 from our last 7 is bizarre to say the least.
    Having said that, I do find people’s reactions to it amusing, so it’s all good as far as I’m concerned. :)

Fergie’s Rent Boy was appalling throughout. Why anyone thinks he’s a good ref just because he shaves his head Collina-style and can bench press 300 pounds is completely beyond me.

Not at all. I am suggesting that we should sign an experienced 30+ GK who can guide our young GK’s for a couple of seasons.

I said the same last season and the one before .

36. Evening all, nicely summed up and I even like your Freudian slip “named an unnamed side”; so the Spud result was ideal even though the Chav one wasn’t. I expect the long trip to Moscow (is it ?) for the Chavs next week should affect there subsequent performances and hopefully a draw in their game against the Spuds will help us even more.

So, the bums continue to squeak , the Spuds more so than ours.

FOYS.

37. Gooner In Exile says:

Unfortunately Chary Chavs next game is FA Cup, Spuds don’t play next weekend, so Norwich is important…..very important!! Can make the game in hand on Spuds count and even lift ourselves ahead of Chelsea. Although they will have a game in hand on us.

The right messages are coming from Arsene even some subtle mind games:

“We’ve told the players win our games then we will not have to worry about others results”.

That only became true today after Spuds drew.

I think the next three games are key, Norwich and Everton home, Fulham away.

Everton intrigued me today, must admit I haven’t watched them for a full 90 often this season but I was surprised how open they were against Spuds away from home, not sure if due to no real speed merchants with Lennon and Bale out they didnt have to worry about the counter or that Moyes has adopted a more expansive team, certainly has some players who can cause us problems up front (Amichebe, Mirallas and Jelavic) and two full backs who we should be wary of. I’m not sure we will get away with Santi out left so may have to drop TR7 or Ramsey to allow Gerv and Ox/Theo to give their fullbacks something to worry about.

Mind you GiE, I noticed that once they (Everton) went a goal to the good they went completely parkez l’autobus.

39. True GiE, but the Spuds have a trip to Basel on Thursday which should hopefully drain their energy levels a bit more and give them a chance to add to their injury list- hammy for Adebarndoor would be funny :)

40. evonne says:

parkez l’autobus :)

Mirallas is in good form, and Anichebe wil cause problems but we are capable of beating Everton given our current state of confidence.

A win at home to Norwich would give us 24 out of 27, and any team will fear us.

42. Manthan says:

Morning all,
    I agree with most of the rating, Fab was not that good I want to see Scez back in goal… Ramsey missed the oppurtunity but he was in lot of pressure from defenders but neverthless he is improving in every game.. He didnt scored but he got an assist to his name.. Overall we rule WBA for first 70 mins and last 20 mins they ruled us..

43. Gooner In Exile says:

Bloody hell United have struck a deal with AON to sponsor the training ground for £120m over 8 years including training kit sponsorship, their deal with DHL was just for training kit (£10m per season) but United bought themselves out of the contract to do the deal with AON….although £5m more per season doesn’t seem a great improvement.

44. Gooner In Exile says:

On the goalkeeper subject. There are two highly experienced keepers who can’t get a game for their current team, one is a long shot and I think depends on whether the manager stays another year, the other is definitely doable although may be to old.

Step forward Iker Casillas and Shay Given.

Casillas is only 31, Given 36.

GIE. You know much more about GK’s than I do but people say Given has lost his mojo. Casillas will never come to AFC or even leave Spain (maybe to Monaco).

What about Victor Valdes?

MU deal. We cannot compare AFC to MU in marketing terms. They are one of the Top 3 (with BM 4th). In fact, Internationally, in PL terms,I would say we lag behind both Chelsea and Liverpool, but still – 4th is a trophy :-)

Morning all ……..