Redemption Song. Villa pre-view.

So now what? Will we continue to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune or will Lady Luck give us a lap-dance at the Emirates?

One thing for sure, today will not be a de rigeur victory over a slightly rejuvenated Aston Villa. It seems our team are incapable of simple. Even the 1-0 victories have drama attached.

Unknown

On the back of two defeats, the visit of Aston Villa could be seen as an easy opportunity to remedy some wrongs and allow the team to regain confidence. But AV are very capable of at least drawing today. The threat of Benteke is enough to have our CB’s quaking and both Agbonlahor and N’zogbia have caused us problems in the past. Fortunately Richard Dunne is injured which will stop him injuring one of ours.

Despite the Vonder of Vaar Villa have conceded 50 goals already this season – we will score today, and probably more than one. I think Theo could have one of his better afternoons though Villa will look to sit deep and hope to counter-attack. They have the pace and the power to do so. Ball retention and concentration will be vital

But let’s be quite clear, Arsenal may be in a different class to Bayern Munich but Aston Villa are in a different class to Arsenal; if the footballing gods are with us, we should win comfortably. But they are not …..

Will  Mr Wenger trust Gervinho this afternoon? If he does it will demote Podolski to the bench. Now I like Podolski, I like him much better than I like Gervinho. So my hope is that Gerv is used purely as an impact sub.

Can anyone explain why we persist with playing 4-4-2 at home? I just don’t understand it. Ramsey is a fine player but we desperately need thrust and the man doesn’t have it.

My Team:

arse v villa

Perhaps this would be a game to use Coquelin who has been “knocking on the door” and needs pitch time if he is not to agitate for a transfer in summer. Jack despite being magnificent  needs a rest, I would start Diaby and bring on JW after 70 mins.

Today’s explorer. I am still in shock the Sir Francis Drake got beaten by the Germans. Let us hope that Charles Mason (1728-1786) brings us 3 points today. Mason was born in the Cotswolds, trained as an astronomer, met Dixon and together they created the Mason-Dixon line in USA.

images-2

There are no images of Charles Mason, so I found this Gooner instead

In 1761 he travelled to Sumatra to study the transit of Venus; upon his return to England he met Jeremiah Dixon. Together they surveyed the border between Maryland and Pennsylvania. This was important because it became the dividing line between the North-East and Southern states of America. Both men were expert astronomers and surveyors, both became members of the Royal Society. Mason died n Philadelphia at the age of 58.

COYRRG

Written by Big Raddy

Ed: I found this image of Charles Mason but can’t vouch for its accuracy – disappointing lack of facial hair …

Charles_Mason

258 Responses to Redemption Song. Villa pre-view.

Nice write up as usual Raddy.

There is sure to be apprehension in the ground today and possibly with some of our players.

I see a game a bit like so many at home this season where Villa will pack their defence with 10 men and rely on the breakaway.

I would like to see Rosicky start ahead of Ramsey and please Mr.Wenger don’t always wait until the 68/70th minute to sub.

I like Podolski but there is a bit of Arshavin in him, maybe he isn’t fit enough or hasn’t got the stamina but he needs to track back a bit more when required.

2. Gooner In Exile says:

Morning all, top PM as ever Raddy.

Like Kelsey the left side concerns me, Pod or Gervinho is really a bit of dilemma. Gervinho is unpredictable but can retain the ball and beat a man better than Pod, and he does track back (and has the energy levels to do so). Pod on the other hand can nick a goal with his quality finishing.

2 up top could be the way to go today as stated Villa are likely to pack 10 men in defence hoist hopeful balls to Benteke and hope to support quickly from midfield.

If we put Pod and Giroud together a midfield four of Arteta, Wilshere, Walcott and Cazorla and instruct the whole defence to sit we could snuff out the hopeful balls to Benteke (4 on 1 we should win) and get the ball back to the midfielders to start again quick smart.

If we need full backs to overlap we are going to be susceptible to the counter attack, we’ve seen it too many times and the first goal today will be key, for fans sanity and player confidence.

3. Red Arse says:

A very good Post, BR, with a light touch, holding out the real possibility of victory, with a soupcon of caution mixed in for good measure, and then frightening your readers with the vicarious threat of Gervinho being included in the team.

A delicious pot pourri of an essay. :-)

However, from the man who brought you, prior to the Bayern game, the cautionary words, “It could end in tears”, (me) I will bring you further tidings from the late Frankie Howerd, — ‘Woe, woe and thrice woe’ (Thanks, Chas), or perhaps the portentous words of some guy called Shakey Speare, ‘Beware the Ides of March’, because whenever I hear those equally infamous words, ‘we are better than x, and should win’, an involuntary tremor of fear tickles my spine! :-)

Woe, woe, I say to yee — of course, when we wi –, I will blame you for instilling such doomy thoughts in my head, because you threatened me with the Gerv!!

4. Smashing pre Match Big Dandy and good to see astronomers getting a bit of recognition. Right about to leave for the game soon with snow gently falling outside. Whoever is going to the Tavern I’ll see them there about 1.45ish. UTA !

5. Mallard says:

Nice one, BR.
    On the train, 2nd beer finished already.
    The ticket inspector warned us there were Villa fans in the next first class section.
    Ant said, ‘what are Villa fans doing coming from Nottingham?’
    The ticket inspector said, ‘more to the point, what are they doing in first class?’ :lol:

Morning and thank you Raddy.
    Have you gone mad? Give Jack a rest?
    Apart from that, I’d play Gervinho. Here’s why. Against a rubbish defence, and Villa clearly have that, he draws them in like flies, and when the odd low ball does make it into the middle, there will be that much more space.
    Plus, I still haven’t worked out exactly what a Podolski is :-)
    Also, I’d be very happy if Coq started ahead of Arteta.

7. Ant says:

2nd beer chocky drinker Chas!

8. Mallard says:

Better than counting spillage!

9. Ant says:

Micky,
    Gerv on the bench deffo! He is as effective as an ashtray on a motorbike. Agree about Cock though!

10. Mallard says:

Micky, sorry I didn’t get back to you re tickets. The Vines boys are out in force for the third game in a row.

11. Ant says:

That was a nasty train incline that was responsible for that unnecessary spillage!

MD89,

“he draws them in like flies,”

You’ve given me this mental image of Gervinho with Villa defence stuck all over him – lol

13. Ant says:

Where’s the green felt tip?

14. Mallard says:

A Podolski is a lethal cannonball left foot

BR;

As usual a great lead in to the game.

I wonder if Americans recognize that it was an Englishmen who mapped out the famous Mason-Dixon line?

16. Ant says:

I have never seen a team double marking Gerv with a swarm of flies but I am sure that it would work!

17. Mallard says:

No, but I know where the purple one is. ;)

18. Ant says:

A Podoldski is an aged pea on a chair lift!

19. Ant says:

Have we got the comment numbers up enough yet Chas?

20. Mallard says:

What else do flies swarm around?

Morning Mallard et Antoine,
    You may a £20 supplement to the inspector to sit in the wide seats on a weekend.
    My money says the Villa fans are fatties

22. Ant says:

The Tavern will be throbbing today for the Fulham v Stoke match!

23. Mallard says:

An aged pee is a common overnight phenomenon amongst some AA regulars.

24. Mallard says:

Tesco’s are giving away a pack of beefburgers with every ten litres of petrol.

Only fuel and horses. :)

ROLF at the pair of you
    On the Great Western Trains, they have those little screens in front of you, and if you click on the sports button, they are showing goals of the season.
    Turn the other way every time that drug enhanced Baler gets a look in (which is way too often).
    Ooops, looks like another hill coming lads!

26. Mallard says:

Chary,
    See you on the bench.

27. Ant says:

Morning Micky,
    Chas doesn’t go in 1st for the wide seats but I do!
    The Villa fan is like Posh Spice on a kentucky family bucket weekend!
    We have had both the local copper, the ticket inspector and the free trolley staff all chat to us about how bad the Arse have been!

Soooo Peaches,
    Instead of offering the tickets to an optimistic and jocular kebab muncher, you’ve given them to a fleece wearing, dooming grass grazer from the valleys.
    Mmmm, I think we need a chat in the bogs next time I’m there and see if we can’t work something out.

Ant,
    Tell them we’re way beyond the magic 40 points and its still only feb :-)

30. Mallard says:

Does that mean we’ll get to meet Mr S. Hagger Esq?

31. Ant says:

Get your gas mask on in the Tavern Gents Micky and The mighty P… As the smell is unique!

We’re doing it in the ladies.
    The meeting that is :-)

33. Ant says:

I have often seen you in the Ladies Micky… Doing it .. Or was that a nasty dream!

34. Ant says:

Chas has broken his seal!

35. Ant says:

Apologies for all banal comments!

Didit, DoIt, DoneIt
    Simply not bothered about the Who’s and Where’s
    All minor details to my sort

Nine can’s of Special Brew by midday, and excuses can be found :-)

Ooops
    Cans, not can’s. Chas hates that kind of thing.
    Linguistic snob

39. Ant says:

I’m sure Peaches will have something to say about that Micky!!!

Is Sagna injured?

41. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

Hi
    I’m not on the way to the game I’m home on the couch watching football focus .
    Much Love

She owes me, and the reconciliatory options are few

43. Ant says:

LOL Micky… Special brew is for fat Villa fans only!

44. Ant says:

Reconciliatory is now my favourite word!

45. Mallard says:

Only 7 cans of brew for me.
    Chocky drinking.
    With the froth on my top lip looks like I’ve blown a seal.

Been away for the last week so I haven’t been on the blog, so I would just like to say well done Raddy for another great pre-match and also a big congrats to Shard for yesterdays and jeanette for her debut in the week. Must dash I am also heading to the Tavern.

47. Mallard says:

Sagna has a groin strain thanks to Ludivine.

48. Mallard says:

See you thee, GonnerB

49. Mallard says:

* there
    Blame the brew.

Went to see a band called Biffy Clyro last night. Anyone else heard of them? – they didn’t sell out a 700 venue

Head still ringing.

Micky. Yes, I think we should give JW a rest. We are well stocked for MF’s so why not rotate when possible?

MAllard. 12.13. Love that joke :-D

51. Norfolk Gooner says:

Sagna is out injured, apparently he has been playing recently with a lot of pain, so just why has he had to play? Jenkinson has been fit but perhaps Wenger doesn’t rate him good enough. So why did Wenger give him a new five year contract?

It’s good to see Gervinho on the bench…I do hope he stays there.

Sorry, good morning to you all.

Mallard
    “With the froth on my top lip looks like I’ve blown a seal”
    Comfortably the foulest (geddit) comment ever posted :-)

Raddy,
    Rotating/resting in the biggest and first “must win” of the season?
    I genuinely think you have too liitle fish in the diet this week :-)

Thanks Mallard and Norfolk on Sagna.

I think resting Jack today would send out a clear message to Villa that we are underestimating you.

56. evonne says:

Burst water mains at the south side of the Emirates

57. evonne says:

A very disappointing post from Raddy! I am cut and bruised after the surgery last night, but made it to my laptop to cheer myself up reading a BR PM. But the usual full of beans BR sounds worried and serious. That makes me very scared….back under the duvet

Raddy, only teasing. Of course I love the PM, appreciate the warning and am amused by Mason. Thank you dear

58. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

MESSAGE FOR ANY ONE GOING TO THE GAME .
    THERE HAS BEEN A BURST PIPE IN THE STADIUM BBC ASKING ALL FANS TO GET THERE EARLY AS THERE MAY BE TRAFFIC DELAYS.
    IT’S NO WIND UP IT SAID ON FOOTBALL FOCUS

59. Norfolk Gooner says:

…and all Arsenal fans arriving early at The Emirates should come equipped with a mop and bucket.

It never rains but it pours for Arsenal. A major water pipe has burst near the stadium, resulting in the closure of surrounding roads. Disruptions is expected so both sets of fans are asked to arrive early to avoid missing kick-off.

Rasp stop pissing in the road.

61. evonne says:

Norfolk – good idea, support your club through thin and thick, dry and wet. This is probably deliberate to flush out some scum from the stadium

62. Norfolk Gooner says:

Evonne,

So you think there may be some Spuds trying to infiltrate The Emirates?

Ha ha Kelsey,
    I was about to suggest that Ant had arrived and sprung a leak
    Sheep,
    Oh fleeced one, I must check my notes. I have the wrong person. Sorry. Peaches has yet more “making up” to do :-)

64. Puling into Paddington soon- see you there Mallard/Chas

65. evonne says:

No Norfolk, our own scum, plenty of those. You can hear them at the end of some games

Blinding game Fulham v Stoke zzzzzzzzzzzz……..

Subs

Mannone, Koscielny, Rosicky, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Ramsey, Gervinho, Podolski

Arsenal

Szczesny, Jenkinson, Mertesacker, Vermaelen, Monreal, Arteta, Diaby, Wilshere, Walcott, Giroud, Cazorla

Team News

Jenkinson and Diaby replace Sagna and Podolski, with Nacho Monreal in for Laurent Koscielny

67. jnyc says:

RADDY, lady luck lap dance line is a classic! im gonna steal it. —
    a non victory today will be devastating psychologically and in reality. We need to get it done.

68. Gooner In Exile says:

Any news on why Mr Sagna rest/injury/strop?

One can only assume Cazorla out left which will have many asking why but in front of his old teammate Monreal could pay dividends, and he is the type of player who will go wherever he can affect the match.

Would like us to push Walcott onto Giroud, and play a litre less orthodox 2-2 in the midfield, possibly even diamond like?

A fighting performance needed this afternoon. Out the blocks early and concentrated – none of this conceding before the quarter hour rubbish.

An early goal would be lovely

COYG

diamond like …… wasn’t that the Hoddle/Waddle song?

GiE,
    That’s Santi away from his most effective position. To accomodate Diaby!
    Oh well, a win by absolutely any means will do me just fine.

72. Gooner In Exile says:

Bloody no SopCast stream :( only Acestream for decent quality the rest is crappy flash….according to wiziwig anyway

73. Gooner In Exile says:

lol Raddy, by the way i have heard of Biffy Clyro, they were quite big over here for a while, headlined a few festivals (Download and Reading/Leeds from memory).

Quite popular

I don’t want to tempt fate but i don’t like our back 4.

75. ArsenalForever says:

Afternoon all,

Thanks for the pre-match BR, I am really hoping for a reaction today and I expect the lads to win for AW today.

76. Gooner In Exile says:

Kelsey…..shhhhh i was trying to turn a blind eye

Kelsey,
    Accept it. We make mistakes at the back no matter who plays. The job today is to score one more than them :-)

78. Adrian says:

Wonder why Koscielny isn’t playing, Mertersacker had quite a woeful game to me against Bayern.

Right lads, enjoy the game. Off to find a stream.
    Come on you Gunnnnnners

80. Gooner In Exile says:

Sop finally appeared taking time to load

81. barumgooner says:

Oh dear. At the end of a terrible week and in dire need of a win we drop Pod and Ramsey and bring in Diaby ??? oh dear i’m a worried gooner.

82. Gooner In Exile says:

streams gone slow motion i’ll be watching this game for 3 hours :D

Our Saint Cazorla……………..

84. Adrian says:

What a beauty by Cazorla!
    I agree, I find the decision to drop Pod for Diaby very weird.

85. Gooner In Exile says:

Hahah my commentary tells me thats happened (by reaction its in Ukraine) but i still haven’t seen goal yet :D

86. Gooner In Exile says:

And just as i was about to get to it steam jumpd to Real time

Fast, crisp movement today – just the way we need to play.

As soon as I said that it slowed down!!!

89. Gooner In Exile says:

Are we going to really try and see this out? Confidence lads go for the kill!

Oh great,
    Wife and children have been away for a week, and just phoned with a lovely surprise. Back in 20 mins.
    Oh joy, I’m so happy :-(
    Please, one broken down tractor somewhere. Now!

91. Adrian says:

Don’t think I’ve ever seen the emirates so empty for a PL game before, are you seeing this Stan?

Adrian, He’s sitting there. More worrying are the signs on the first tier for Club waiting list!
    Right, half time mug of Bovril (makes me believe I’m there).

93. Gooner In Exile says:

No doubt there will be claims of offside on the goal

Very disjointed performance though glad santi scored even though it was deflected.Defence is not playing as a unit and we need a second goal. jenkinson doing o.k., need to get Theo more on the ball he looks lively,Giroud is putting in a good shift as is Jack but I can’t agree that we look fluid. Diaby is slowing the game down and since we scored bar the last 5 minutes Villa have grown into the game.

95. Adrian says:

I know MIcky, I caught a glimpse on him on the TV and that’s why I mentioned him.

96. Adrian says:

Jenkinson isn’t playing very well though, I feel that if they were to get a goal its going to come from their left.

97. Gooner In Exile says:

Adrian burst water pipe outside could have had something to do with it. But the thing is it doesn’t matter, all those empty seats are bought and paid for. Failure to turn up makes a mockery of the whinge that prices are too high if people that have paid the money dont wat to get there moneys worth.

98. Gooner In Exile says:

BSR replaced by Wellbeck after 41 minutes….injured at last?

99. Gooner In Exile says:

Should have said it doesn’t matter to Stan the tickets are bought and paid for.

It seems to me that both our full backs are getting roasted which bodes ill for next week. As written in the post Nzogbia and Agbon are causing concerns.

I have not enjoyed Diaby’s performance today. He is slowing the attacks down, getting caught in possession and I look forward to him being subbed for Pod or Gerv, allowing Santi back into the middle.

Also why isn’t Theo staying out wide and giving Jenks someone to pass to? Their FB is weak.

Still one up after 5 mins …. who can complain?

We nearly agree Raddy :)

102. Gooner In Exile says:

Raddy I’ll take a win at any price at the moment just to get over the line.

Still think Theo doesn’t really benefit us if we are asking three players to move around the front line and interchange, he too often is on his heels. Cazorla or Giroud (not sure crap stream) harried their centre back he tried to turn back to his own goal which Gir/Caz blocked and then turned back up the pitch and ran away. Theo was less than ten yards away and stood still if he had got closer he could’ve nicked the ball when the CB turned back up the pitch. But instead Caz/Gir worked for nothing.

Rosicky will be on soon

104. Adrian says:

Injury for Diaby AGAIN, why am I not surprised?

105. Adrian says:

It probably doesn’t matter to Stan financially, but at least he’ll get the message that more and more fans are getting unhappy with the direction the club is heading into.

This game is going just as I said this morning and we are playing against a ten men defence,though some of our passing is poor.We need a plan B.

Do we look top 4,not to me.This is a team struggling we are playing.

108. Adrian says:

…. This is what happens when we don’t get a second.

109. Adrian says:

Poor from Sczeszny though.

110. Gooner In Exile says:

Not good Wojiech

it was so predictable and wenger says this is the best squad he has had.

112. Gooner In Exile says:

When did he say that Kelsey?

Rubbish from TPIG.

Stupid to get hit again on the counter-attack (warning in the post!)

114. dandan says:

Sczeszny Confidence is shot, we need a more experienced keeper, GIE do yo think he looks like the commanding figure we need.

115. Gooner In Exile says:

Scary when a corner for us is their best form of attack

116. slime says:

Get Podolski on. We are so one sided with Cazorla wide. Has Theo touched the ball 2nd half?

We are poor in defence, from number 1 to number 11, and I don’t just mean this game.

117. Gooner In Exile says:

I think he will be DD, and i think if we replace him now he won’t sign a new contract and we will regret it for a long time.

he said it at the beginning of the season or words to that effect.
    When we should pass we shoot and visa versa.it’s all a bit desperate yet again. Everton are winning i just can’t see us being good enough to move up the table.

and i am being polite :)

dandan, he is going just like fabianski i am afraid

121. slime says:

If we are going to cross the ball all game then sometimes it needs to be low and from the byeline. Aiming for Giroud’s head from every angle is dreadful, espescially when he’s marked by 4 defenders!

This is not good, is it?

This team are not good enough, once again we need thrust.

What has Theo been doing through the game?

123. Adrian says:

Who else but Cazorla again!

Santiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

125. Gooner In Exile says:

lovely move….now keep on bloody playing……and don’t send CBs up for any more corners!

126. Adrian says:

I agree Slime. Low crosses seem to be more effective in this game.

128. Gooner In Exile says:

Kelsey I remember he said it at the start of the 2010/11 season, not sure i’ve heard him say it since.

129. slime says:

That’s exactly what I’m talking about! Byeline cut backs = goals!!!!!

Get in there!

Keep it tight now lads.

We need another.

131. Gooner In Exile says:

Anyone remember when we used to bring Cygan on back in the day…..that never worked either

132. Gooner In Exile says:

Everton now drawing with Norwich? Funny game football

133. Gooner In Exile says:

And breeeeeeaaaaaathee

134. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

Everton lost 2-1

135. dandan says:

HO HO HO Norwich

136. slime says:

Yes yes yes yes yes!

Not pretty, not good, but if we are going to improve then the squad needs time and space to do so, and wins provide that.

Get the f*** in!

Bloody excellent result
    Something of a Phew but hey…
    Off to dish out some hugs and cuddles

138. slime says:

Everton lost! Boooooooom!

Honestly the three points barely cover the cracks. Our defensive heading was horrendous.We are a team unrecognisable from the team that finished the last 10 games last season. I can’t remember a time under Wenger when there were so many wasteful passes and crosses to no one. Villa are a really poor side and we will have to up our game big time at Spurs if it is possible.

140. Gooner In Exile says:

2 wins behind City, second place is on! :D

Glass too full?

141. Gooner In Exile says:

Kelsey Villa beat Liverpool 3-0 at Anfield in a very similar affair, Lambert has them well organised and set for the counter.

But I say enjoy the win man, we can moan when we lose :D

142. Adrian says:

A win is always great, but I must say the manner in which we won wasn’t very unconvincing. Once again, the fact that we seem to be unable to kill off a game (mind you, against a struggling side who seems very likely to be relegated) almost cost us. Still seem to be lacking that cutting edge in terms of making the most out of chances created and still playing with a lack of urgency during certain periods of the game.

Cazorla showing today that he can be our very own Frank Lampard with him reaching double figures today. Sczeszny was very poor for conceding that goal and I thought that Jenkinson and Giroud had pretty below par performances too. And for the love of god, we need to get more players in the box when we cross the ball into the penalty box. How many times have we seen decent crosses being put in only to see noone on the receiving end?

kelsey. They don’t, but we are now 5 points ahead of 6th and should Chelsea lose tomorrow one point off 4th. Can’t see Spurs dropping points at West Ham can you?

Right off to party with some Russians. Expect a sore head domani!

144. dandan says:

Kelsey we have spent months bemoaning the fact that we never play below our best but still win nasty, we did today, enjoy it for once. If the spuds don’t win tomorrow next week will be tasty

145. Adrian says:

Lukaku getting on the scoresheet twice for West Brom today, seems to be becoming quite a center forward. Unfortunately it seems like Chelsea may have found a replacement for Drogba.

146. slime says:

Is that whisky in your glass GiE!? :)

The team has all the ability needed, just not the confidence. When the teams confidence returns, then results will improve, performances will improve, and our confidence in the team will come back.

You could see how nervous we were once we went 1-0 up. Only a run of results will change that. Enjoy the win until the next game.

if you say so dandan :) I still think we are pretty average and not playing as a unit .Carrying too many players. Of course the 3 points was vital but i am not convinced though I never was from the day the season started.

148. Janman says:

I have to pretty much concur with what Kelsey said @4.57. However a win is a win so we have to accept the positives of the result. We are within touching distance of Chelsea and Spurs if the results go in our favor. I just wish that we did not have to struggle so much against a so called lesser side. To concede a goal when we had possession for a corner kick is really unacceptable. I still feel that all is not quite right within the club and no team respects or fears us at the moment, that is something which we have to change. However, again, all that counts for now is we have another three points.

Super pre-match BR. I did not know that we Brits were responsible for the Mason-Dixon line.

Well, that was a very, very important win in which a lot of the familiar problems were only too evident.

Too many individual errors (even from our better players like Jack and Arteta); too many wrong options taken; weak goalkeeping giving the opposition a helping hand and the usual problem of being less than the sum of our parts. All psychological, I’m sure.

That said, we now have 13 points from a possible 15 in our last five league outings.

If we ignore the cup disappointments (I know, I know) we are one of the form teams in the EPL!

I don’t agree that Jenks was poor. He had a tough time for about 10-15 minutes after we scored but was solid after that. I thought BFG and TV5 were pretty good and Nacho was excellent in the second half.

Janman
    “I still feel that all is not quite right within the club and no team respects or fears us at the moment”.

I agree with that – but results can turn that around. Massive game against the Spuds. If we win that, the sun will be shining again :)

Next two league matches: Spuds and Toffees.

Those games could well decide whether we finish in the top four.

152. Janman says:

Rocky. Some times a good run can start from a scrappy performance like this. As I said, if results go our way we are within touching distance of 3rd place which would set up a massive game against Spurs!

BR
    Meant to say, nice musical reference :)

Who gets the assists for santi’s 2 goals?

155. Gooner In Exile says:

Janman if teams didnt fear is they wouldn’t play 10 at the back football, its their only solution they don’t commit men forward because they daren’t get beaten on the counter themselves.

We then have two choices, sit back too resulting in 2/3 of ours against 7/8 of theirs and vice versa, or commit more men to attack to win.

That said if we can’t take corners I do wish we’d stop sending BFG and TV up. Jenkinson is a tall player yet we leave him our most inexperienced defender at the back and let BFG and TV go up at 1-0 up.

156. Gooner In Exile says:

Monreal for the second Rasp probably himself for the first (or a Villa player)

157. Bayonne JeanJ says:

Diaby injured? Could be a blessing in disguise, based on today’s performance — Rosicky is much the better option vs. LWCs. And much as I hate to say it, if Arsenal give away as many counterattack chances at the lane as they did today, could get overrun.

Rasp
    Jack for the first, Nacho the second.

(unless you count the first as Santi setting himself up, given that his first shot rebounded to him and then he scored. However, Jack set up the first chance, so I would give it to him).

BJ
    We will definitely need to be a lot more defensively solid against the Spuds.

How long is Sagna out for?

161. slime says:

The next 2 games are big, but I don’t believe they will decide wether we finish top 4 or not. Spurs have a tricky run in and are 1 injury away from being an average side.

If we come away with 3 points then we are very much in the race. Add to that the fact we could be 2 points behind Chelsea if they lose tomoz, and that both those teams are still in Europe. It’s going to be a tight one I think.

162. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

Hi all
    We won the game is being shown on sky sports 2 at 2030 uk time tonight on football first I’m going to watch it as was out today .

163. Janman says:

GIE: We may have to disagree a little there! I don’t believe teams fear us. Very few teams park the bus against us, that appears to be what many of us want to believe though. Many teams simply sit back watch us have 70% possession and then hit us on the break and usually score against us! I just don’t agree that is a sign of teams fearing us, sorry! However, as I said, no matter what, we got three points today.

GiE
    I agree with Janman on this – they are aware of our attacking threat, but I think most of them also feel reasonably confident of containing it (and us).

I believe most teams – even relegation zone teams – turn up at the Ems thinking they have a chance of getting a result.

Enjoy the game Sheep.
    It will be more fun watching it knowing the result :)
    Your fingernails should survive better than those of us who watched live.

166. Janman says:

Different subject matter. As it stands right now Utd are 15 points in front of City and 19 points in front of Chelsea and yet only 2 points separate the 3rd and 5th place teams! As silly as it may sound but take Utd out of the equation (for now) and perhaps we are not as bad off as everyone likes to believe! Therefore why does the English press/media always single out Arsenal as the team that is so far off the pace?. Surely City and Chelsea are no different than us when it comes to being off the pace!

167. Gooner In Exile says:

That’s far too logical Janman….but I was thinking the same earlier how many times have we heard “Arsenal 21 points off ManU”.

It is very likely Spuds will complete another trophyless season that’ll be 5 years and counting but we don’t hear about it.

168. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Kind of makes you wonder what would have been had we chained Van Judas to the grove for a year???

169. Janman says:

GIE: I am not English nor do I live in England but the British press/media appears to have an agenda against Arsenal. That is something I have never really understood?.

170. ash cole says:

Guys,

We were just down on our luck for the last 8 years, even though yaya toure, juan mata, eden hazard were supposed to be gooners we just got unlucky. Losing 2 of our 3 captains in the last 3 years also bad luck, being ousted by 2nd and 3rd division teams also down to bad luck.

but hey our luck is bound to turn at some point and I think it just did we beat Villa we showed great character to beat a team 1 point away from relegation at home. I say we keep the vermin as our skipper that way citteh, or mancs, or chelski wont notice the sanitized casserole.

Stay positive Goon we can take the league I dont know why we are being so negative! There’s only one Arsene Wenger, one Arsene Wenger we can take the league and the champs lge. We can do the double.

I mean Chelsea had to go to Barca with no central defenders and 10 men down 2 goals with 50 mins left. C’mon guys we can do it, they change managers every year we change skippers. They do it on their terms we on the other hand cant afford to keep our skippers or stars but it doesnt matter we are the Arsenal the invisible Arsenal!

171. Mallard says:

Wilshere assist for Santi’a first
    Nacho for Santi’s second

172. Ant says:

Burst pipe……..my arse!
    Great win!
    What are you all worried about?
    No Gerv!
    Santi magnifico
    33 units of alcohol!
    Peaches not at loo meeting with Micky.
    Only 1 point behind Spuds
    Lovely jubbly!

173. Mallard says:

Ash cole, you is a wanker. ;)

174. Ant says:

Spuds out!

175. Ant says:

Ash cole… Where’s your mobile hole? A .. Hole!

176. Gooner In Exile says:

“Ant says:
    February 23, 2013 at 7:32 pm (Edit)
    Burst pipe……..my arse!”

That’ll cause trouble in first class

177. 20/20Vision says:

The BBC seem to day by day more, more become the ministry of truth, ironically just now theyr’e having a George Orwell season! I’ve long thought the sperz mafiosi have infiltrated the beeb, remember Newsnight trying to get Arsenal relegated headlining some Euro feeder club conspiracy theory story for a whole week when bush and bliar were invading Iraq 2003?(one of many BBC digs at Arsenal over the years) What I want to know is how Villa today were “more than good value for the 1-1 scoreline” according to the BBC hack at the Emirates…given these stats?

ArsenalAston Villa
    26(7) Shots (on goal) 8(3)
    7 Fouls 10
    12 Corner kicks 3
    3 Offsides 3
    64% Time of Possession 36%
    1 Yellow Cards 2
    0 Red Cards 0
    2 Saves 5

178. Ant says:

It’s still lovedy in 1 st no burst pipes or anything!

179. Ant says:

A well deserved victory….. Champy league-ey … Again!

180. Ant says:

Lovedy lovely lovely!

181. Mallard says:

Vibrating Ash?

182. Ant says:

Is anyone going to to see the Toy dolls in Uk tour in November?Best band in the world! 33 years! Miss it and you will regret it! Mickey U expect you there!

183. Ant and Mallard – you are funny :P

184. Mallard says:

Up the effing Arae!

185. Ant says:

Loving it Peaches! Santi for PM

186. Have you seen this you two?

ScottyBoyGooner© ‏@ScottyBoyGooner
    Just have a look at the three subs when Cazorla got the second… pic.twitter.com/3d5jatIUIq

187. ash cole says:

C’mon Goon we got a shot at the league belieeeeeeeeeeeeeeve! In arsene we trust extend and raise his 7.5million pound contract cause we just demolished Aston Villa. Hey Stan the fans are so ecstatic over the villa performance maybe u can raise our ticket prices again, they are already the highest in the country but hey Wenger’s raise has to come from somewhere? unless you sell cazorla, i say you sell cazorla, raise ticket prices especially for the europa lge games and raise wenger’s contract with an extension and also include those brilliant club profit bonuses that way Wenger can continue selling stars with profit in mind! Go AFC best 8 year trophyless club in the world! Up the arse and up the fans arse courtesy of stan, ivan and the one and only arsene wenger with the cheecky smile the fucking stingy @$&?!/@

188. slime says:

Peaches,

That reaction on the photo may come as a surprise to some, but I guarentee that most clubs in world football have had similar reactions at one time or another. If people weren’t already aware that players are all about themselves these days then they are watching a different sport! Most modern day footballers have zero loyalty or love for the clubs they are at. Arsenal fans should know this better than anyone.

189. Mallard says:

Dennis I hate scummers

190. nihirealist says:

ash cole
    Fans like you deserve the club you think you have.

191. Adrian says:

Probably sulking cause they got left on the bench. Then again, a picture can be very deceptive… Maybe a picture taken a second or two later would depict them celebrating. Who knows?

192. 20/20Vision says:

Arsenal have not been also rans these past 8 years they have been pace makers, if 8 years of qualifying for the ECL is a big nothing why do so many covet Sir Arsene’s achievement? Napoleon once said he would rather have a lucky general than a brilliant one. Am I paranoid but do you sometimes think fate is conspiring against us? just look at our broken bone injury credit/debit sheet for starters! Arsenal were in the running for the title 2 years back 1-0 up against Liverpool and the ref just kept playing till Lpool’ cheated a penalty and equalised, the next game we have a perfectly good 4th and probably winning goal chalked off V ‘banks with his dog Harry’s’ sperz!! I could go on.

193. Mallard says:

Nihil,
    Bang on. Anyone posting as Ash Cole is a bona fido troll. Ask Cheryl.

194. Gooner In Exile says:

All i know is Carl Jenkinson looks happy in that picture.

Ash Cole would any serious Gooner call themselves Ash Cole on a blog? By the way history lesson for you not that your listening to anyone, Cole left when David Dein was still at the club and before Kroenke or Gazidis were anywhere near our club.

195. ash cole says:

@slime ya you’re right cause footballers unlike other human beings owners, managers or everyday blue or white collar workers do their job for the love of it! I mean how dare the players like rvp, nasri, clichy, and countless others demand to be paid their worth especially when the fans that come to watch them pay the highest gates in the country. May have something to do with the highest paid manager in the country Arsene Wenger, the only manager that gets a raise and rewarded for regressing results. Now of course there is nothing wrong with that right slime? Cause we all get raises when our results are consistently poorer right? But if we are grossly underpaid compared to the market price how dare we complain after all we are only footballers and playing for a club that rewards its manager for profits and regression on actual results a club its pride ie)trophies is fine. So pride, love and sacrifice for club stops at the greedy players, but greedy managers, owners are exempt cause no one is bigger than the club except for them!

196. Gooner In Exile says:

Mallard, Ant all together now:

One Man Went To Bed….Went to Bed with Ashley,

One man and his mobile phone went to bed with Ashley,

Two men went to bed….went to bed with Ashley

Two men, one man and his mobile phone…went to bed with Ashley.

Three men…….

197. Gooner In Exile says:

PS Ash look away now but heres the managers with the highest salary SAF £7.6

198. slime says:

Ash,

Yawn.

199. Gooner In Exile says:

Oh i got it…..ash cole = Spectrum…..joy

Coming on to moan when we’re winning now

200. goonerjake says:

20/20

I have been saying it for ages, The BBC have a definite anti Arsenal agenda. So do Talksport. For me the only media outlet that has a balanced fair and unbiased view is ITV

201. slime says:

GiE,

If it is he’s fixed his Caps Lock key! :lol:

202. ash cole says:

Not after bonuses SAF is not the highest paid, even if for argument sake he was a manager with over 10 trophies in the last 8 years compared to a manager with 0.

Not to mention the shameless transfer policy, at least man utd spends in the market but here u got a seller that doesn’t spend anywhere except for its manager and they charge the highest gate prices lolololol the more I think about the more ludicrous it sounds! What a joke of a club!

203. Mallard says:

Ash, you ain’t fooling no one.

204. slime says:

‘the more i think about it the more ludicrous it sounds’

You’ve just hit the nail on the head there Ash Cole. You’ve been bleating on about the disgrace of Arsene Wenger so much that you’ve started to believe your own utter shite.

205. 20/20Vision says:

Thank you for that goonerjake, I recall one time (or did I dream it?) aunty beeb’s TV FAcup promo ditty was totally and exclusively made up of Arsenal FA cup disaster clips …the goal V Cardiff in the 30’s right up to the losing goal goal V Wrexham ’91!Couldn’t have been a coincidence. I’ll have to look on youtube for it.

206. Gooner In Exile says:

I think i should just bin him, then if anyone asks i’ll just say he had an offensive username

207. goonerjake says:

No 20/20 you did not dream it I’m sure, and the anti arsenal bbc probably bookend it with Ricky Vila scoring in the fa cup for spuds (their favourite clip I think)

208. 20/20Vision says:

YEAH! and just last whinge gj…Naim’s goal in the cup winners cup won BBC goal of the season ’95 when the Zaragoza v Arsenal cup winners cup final…was exclusively covered by ITV!

209. slime says:

GiE,

Probably for the best. Don’t want to keep him up too long, he needs to get up early to make sure he gets in a full 12 hours of hating Wenger! :)

210. goonerjake says:

Genius, im glad you said last whinge, i would of got myself into another anti bbc rage which i always seem to do. phew rage averted

211. goonerjake says:

Nobody reply to Ash, he is just spoiling for argument. Shows lack of class. And i will ask ash politely to leave.

212. slime says:

GJ,

He’s obviously a troll. It’s a strange world we live in when people have nothing better to do than try and annoy others! Think the lad needs a woman!!! :)

213. Gooner In Exile says:

Jake should i not mention Alan Hansen then, the biggest pice of anti Arsenal came last season, precisiely on the last day of the last season.

He said “it was the closest title race he had ever seen”

I assume he used the word seen as he had missed Mickey Thomas bursting through the midfield :D

214. dandan says:

Goonerjake Dont you know a chav or a spud in disguise when you see one? Poor ash has enough crosses to bear without us getting involved with him, let the poor soul drown in his own delusions, he sees us catching both teams and his bottle has cracked. Bless.

215. Gooner In Exile says:

:D DD

Was just thinking about some of the utter nonsense that has become fact about our club.

Highest Ticket Prices as you all know being a big bugbear, further bugbear is the fact that in the 8 years at the Emirates there has been only one, count it ONE increase in Season Ticket Prices, and they have announced a freeze again next year.

Not bad for such a profiteering club eh?

216. goonerjake says:

GIE,

Don’t get me started again…. Linekers mocking of Wenger, Arsenal constantly looked over on the main match of motd unless we have been beaten, The constant we love spurs we love Liverpool mantra, and as you said the closest title race…… aaarrrgggghhhhhhh!

Slime,

Agree totally, debate don’t abuse. The hallmark of this site

217. goonerjake says:

Dandan you too top comment

218. slime says:

Exactly GJ,

The only thing that should be abused on this site is alcohol! :lol:

219. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

We won
    I don’t care that Arsenal have only won 2 of their last 6 encounters with Villa. I don’t care that Villa is a hoofballl team, third in aerial duels won per game. Or that Villa play 72% of their game down the wings yet are dead last in crosses per game. I don’t care how old Arsenal are, how old Villa is, or whether there is some kind of stat about anything that someone thinks matters.
    Just win the game

220. Gooner In Exile says:

Thats about it Sheep :D

221. dandan says:

Yes Winter was on about ticket prices again, they do no research save referring to their cuttings library which they wrote in the first place. Consequently they suffer from PPP syndrome.. “Piss Poor Preparation = Piss Poor Presentation” :-)

222. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

And I don’t care that Martin Atkinson hasn’t awarded Arsenal a penalty since 2010 or that he has awarded Aston Villa more penalties than any other team (11 in 26 matches refereed). I don’t care that Atkinson has only ever given Villa one red card while he has given the opposition four and that he’s awarded Arsenal more red cards than any other team he has refereed (5). I don’t care that Jack Wilshere is the fourth most fouled player in the League and that Benteke is the 9th most fouling player in the League. Just win the game.

223. 26may1989 says:

Evening all.

I’m with Sheep: if we won every one of the 11 games remaining like we won the game today, I’d be delighted. 5-1 is lovely but we just need wins, and for all of the nerves in the stands, the boys on the pitch did it.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say I don’t think we’re in crisis and I don’t think we played badly today. I am not even slightly upset about losing to Bayern Munich, one of the best teams in the world at the moment and one of the world’s biggest clubs. I was pissed off about going out of the Cup to a lower league side, and that shouldn’t have happened, but it was an aberration in my opinion. Much more telling is the league form someone referred to: 13 points from the last 18 puts us in second place in the form chart.

Today, there were some ragged bits to our play, especially when facing Villa on the break. But we looked the better team from beginning till end. And as Sheep said, we won.

224. slime says:

Just watched the game on Sky and when we scored the 2nd Koscielny was on his feet applauding, Gervinho and Ox were sat clapping, although they did look very cold and a bit glum at not getting on! :) my faith in the modern day footballer is restored! :lol:

225. slime says:

Just seen Rafael’s goal v QPR….wow!

Unbelievable tekkers!

226. slime says:

Ash Cole
    :lol:

Your my new favourite blogger!

227. 26may1989 says:

Interesting to look at West Ham’s home record: they’ve only lost three games (to us, Liverpool and Everton), while managing to get draws against United and City and a win over Chelsea. Perhaps they’ll be able to do us a favour on Monday after all…..

228. Gooner In Exile says:

I think Slime that its very much a case of play….celebrate….bench….bitch.

I know what I was like on the bench as a youth team keeper, I was hoping the senior guy would make enough mistakes I would get my chance.

I also remember getting a strop on when I was dropped at the start of the new season because I had returned from the close season a little fuller in figure and didnt get rid of much during pre season. I refused to sit on the bench or play for the reserves.

I was enjoying the last sun shining days about 4 weeks into the season when I got a phone call saying my replacement got injured….we had an FA Cup game the following week and the assistant manager phoned me on the Sunday to ask me to play the following Saturday I said I wouldn’t unless I got a call and apology from the manager. He finally caved the Friday before match day. We didnt speak again until he was sacked at Christmas (I was never dropped again though) :D

GiE,
    Love your story.
    Arsene: “Come on Exile, play on saturday”
    Exile: “Say sorry about the fatty comments first”
    Arsene: “As long as you promise to get on the fish and salad”
    Exile: “No. Burgers AND a Sorry or no goalie”

Morning All

Santi’s scoring record is totally unexpected. He is scoring at a goal every 3 games.

Who needs Mata?

Loved The Ant ‘n Duck Show yesterday :-)
    Also enjoyed the tragic case of Ash. The Fan who is miserable when his side win! ROLF

:-D

Ah Raddy, nice.
    Was not expecting to see you around after a night with the Russkies

How brilliant would it be to finish above Chelsea as well as Spuds?

ash wasn’t an Arsenal fan.

Imagine spending all that time doing something so pointless.

Small Penis Syndrome is my educated guess

Micky. Still drunk. Those Russkies are hard drinkers….

Must be good to have the family back in the nest.

Raddy,
    I had Ash down as a Gambonette, which if you never read that dreadful Le Grove anymore, will not mean anything (I hope that Pedro is slightly ashamed of the crap he allows, however much money he makes from the site).
    And yes, great to have them back :-)

Morning all

I have an admission to make in that maybe I am half full because of my illness yet I used to be a much more positive person when younger and attended games .
    I still believe that we have had the best of Wenger but my support never wavers for The Arsenal. Thank you.

Never in doubt your Arsenalism, Kelsey :-)

240. Red Arse says:

Thank you, too, Kelsey, and good morning.

I always think you are both knowledgeable and fun!! :-)

241. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

Morning all
    Just been to get a paper walk odd
    The city is covered in black and white banners flags and banners.
    Hope the Swanz win today .
    Sheepy

242. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

Wall dog it should have read

243. 26may1989 says:

Morning.

Big match in France today, moneybags Paris St Germain against the established giant, Olympique Marseille. And that means Beckham vs Barton. This week’s edition of France Football had the two of them on the front cover under the headline “Angel vs Demon”. Guess which is which.

As for Wembley, with apologies to Sheep, come on you Bantams!

Great win yesterday in the freezing cold. Thank goodness for Santi :)

I’m just waiting for GunnerB to send in the post for today, so don’t worry you don’t have to all go and hide :D

With apologies to 26, come on Laudrup’s team :-)

246. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

I only want swansea to win because I’m from here and Badford beat us so come on SWANSEA .
    Off now with family watch game and take them for Sunday dinner,see you all later
    Sheepy

Agree. A day for Welsh Wizards combined with Danish Dazzle.

Come in the Swans

Both good reasons Sheep.
    But, as you well know, the next Arsenal manager will not be Maureen but Laudrup :-)

Morning all, a big sigh of relief after yesterday’s victory and a battling display ……. but …. (and its a despairing but) …. if we can’t sort out our defensive play, we will get ripped to shreds by the spuds next week.

It was schoolboy stuff at times yesterday with the whole midfield and wingbacks marauding forward leaving us open to being mugged on the break.

250. Red Arse says:

I only saw snippets, Rasp, but I must say your comment seems apt!

Hi Rasp and RA,
    We all know our defence is poor, but lets face it, the best team in Europe hardly ripped us to shreds, and we will score more goals against Spurs than we did against Bayern
    Therefore, we win :-)

I hope you’re right Micky. The frailty of our defending is having an adverse effect on Sz – he was like a rabbit caught in the headlights at times yesterday.

Jack has to be our leader against the spuds, his chipped ball to Nacho for the 2nd goal was sublime.

253. Red Arse says:

Hi Micky,

You have convinced me!! :-)

254. Gooner In Exile says:

Surely we want Bradford to win then we can say at least we went out to the winners :oops:

255. We have a New Post ………………

I hear we sang the ‘Super Jack’ song to Wilshere after the game … I prefer ‘Walking in a Wilshere wonderland’ – showing no disrespect to ‘god’ but letting Jack know how important he is to us supporters.

I discussed the bollocking Jack gave to TV in the Bayern game with Ant and Duck in the Tavern – when your captain gets a bollocking from a 21 year old, there’s a problem with your choice as captain.

257. Gooner In Exile says:

If Spuds fail to get three points tomorrow they will be in full choke mode come next Saturday.

258. snoop dogg g pen says:

Whats up very nice web site!! Man .. Beautiful
    .. Amazing .. I’ll bookmark your web site and take the feeds also?
    I am glad to search out so many helpful info here in the publish,
    we’d like develop extra techniques on this regard, thank you for sharing.
    . . . . .