Time For Tommy’s Gunners To Come Out Fighting

Can you recall a time when Arsenal went into a home game with their fans being so prepared for a defeat? I understand the pessimism given the ups and downs of the season but firmly believe this Arsenal team has the qualities to win tonight.

What do Arsenal need to do?

images-1

Tommy Vermaelen Training ahead of tonight’s game.

Well, to begin with the defence has to cut out the stupid mistakes. The goalkeeper needs to be on his toes as Bayern have two of the world’s best wingers. Our lack of a left-back will surely be highlighted by Heynkes – BM are so good that Robben is a bench player

BM have conceded just 7 goals (and scored 55) in the League this season. Unbeaten in 18. Not conceded a goal since early December. 18 (?) points ahead in the Bundesliga.

Sod it ….. if I am extol the virtues of this Bayern team we will be here all day. Take it as read that they are a fantastic team and none of our team would get in theirs (perhaps Wilshire), but so what? It is 11 vs 11. We got beaten by Bradford and B’burn which proves that the better team does not always win.

BR’s Team:-

001c

Some great battles tonight especially in midfield. There is also the Lahm vs Theo or Podolski match-up. Big Raddy is excited.

So we need a proper hero to get us in the mood. Step forward Sir Francis Drake (1540-1597). Now we don’t get much more heroic than this fellow, a chap who beat the odds on so many occasions. His favourite opposition was the Spanish whom he developed a deep hatred for after two of his ships were sunk by them (the ships were carrying slaves from Africa to West Indies). Drake was the first Englishman to circumnavigate the globe in his ship The Golden Hind. He was the first Englishman to cross the Straits of Magellan going on to explore the West Coast of North America, landing in Marin County and claiming California for Queen Elisabeth I. On his return journey he travelled all the way up the East Coast of both Americas. He returned to England a hero and was knighted by Queen Liz I.

Made Vice Admiral of the fleet as war with Spain broke out Drake,  Drake took his few ships and attacked Cadiz sinking 30 Spanish ships. Then came that famous night when the Spanish Armada came across the channel to be given a sound thrashing by Drake’s much smaller fleet (imagine Barcelona v Barnet). proving that teamwork and tactics can overcome stronger opposition.

images-2

Tonight’s Inspiration

Having won the war, Drake returned to business plundering Spanish shipping in the Caribbean. Sadly, Franny got dysentery and died near Panama. He was buried at sea at the age of  57.

King Philip of Spain once offered €4m for his head. With a personal fortune estimated at (in current terms) €125m  – all stolen from the Spanish, – Sir Francis is No.2 in the Forbes All-Time Top Earning Pirates :-)   He is also A National Hero.

Back to football ….

We are at home, we have not lost in 5 games with a first choice starting 11. We have only one injury. We have two Germans, we have a brilliant Spaniard, we have the hottest Englishmen in the PL, we have a dreamy CF. We are in The Last Chance Saloon.

Can We Win?  Yes, We Can.

COYRRG

Written by Big Raddy

194 Responses to Time For Tommy’s Gunners To Come Out Fighting

Magnificent rousing motivational post Raddy. I shall be there tonight freezing my nuts off and singing myself hoarse. No room for introspection or dwelling on past disappointments today.

2. Manthan says:

Agree Rasp,
    BR Thanks for your motivation report after yesterdays Wenger out debate….

3. Manthan says:

Dis is sumthing not realted to this post People who want Wenger out dis is for them

I dont knw how many of us will cry when he will leave i will cry for sure :( :( :(

Got it
    Tommy Gun
    The Clash
    Now to read :-)

Well Raddy, I was in the mood before I read this, now I’m champing at the bit.
    Cadiz, ah happy memories, and the attack has my all time favourite name: “singeing the king of spain’s beard”.
    Tonight then, we singe some german bum fluff :-)

Oh, and Arsene mentioned a doubt over Kos, in which case my money says Sagna into the middle and Jenks or Coq out right.

7. Jamie says:

Nice post Raddy. The worst thing Arsenal could do tonight would be going into the game feeling like we’ve already lost. Arsenal can beat any team in the world on their day……..lets just hope today is one of those good days.

8. Norfolk Gooner says:

Good morning to you all,

This could be our last Champions League home tie for some time.

Nobody expects us to win tonight, well nobody outside of a few die-hard, rose tinted glasses wearing, glass half full super optimists that is, so it’s time for the team to take the hand brake off and go all out from first whistle to last. Never mind defending, all out attack is what’s needed, if they score four we can score five.

If we are to go down, at least let’s go down fighting!

Jamie. I agree. The team have to go onto the pitch knowing they can win. Thinking it is not enough.

And in the highly unlikely event that BM score first the team and especially the crowd have to get stuck in.

10. Norfolk Gooner says:

A state drum, painted with the arms of Sir Francis Drake, who is certain to be a Gooner, were he alive today, is preserved among other relics at Buckland Abbey, the stately home of the Drake family in Devon. Legend has it that in a time of crisis for Arsenal this drum will beat and Drake (or his spirit embodied in the great Ted Drake) will return to save his beloved club, as he saved Britain with his victory over the Spanish Armada in 1588.

Anybody got a drum? Let’s hear it at the Ems tonight.

Norfolk :-)

Well done Raddy but you forgot the most important thing about Drake.

Bowls was far more important than anything else :)

I hope the crowd really lift the roof off tonight , so important on a night like this.

So what if evonne freezes her bolloxs off,It will be worth it if we win.

13. Norfolk Gooner says:

Kelsey,

Bowls? More important? Only because they hadn’t invented football yet! :D

14. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

Morning all.
    Enjoyed the pre match post nice one BR.

On the eve of a massive match its going to be a hell of a game,I just dug out my lucky arsenal shirt I have many but one lucky one.

It’s the Purple one from a few seasons ago and it has gold lettering on the back and is says HENRY .
    A few years a go when I was on holiday in Bulgaria there was an Bar there run by a Bulgarian.

And he had all arsenal shirts scattered over the bar,but he did not have the one I had on,the purple one.
    He tried for a week to buy it off me and he gave me some good offers on of them was free drinks for a week,

But I refused to sell it to him,and its lucky so I’m wearing it today.

MUCH LOVE

🐑

15. 26may1989 says:

Football in a mo, but got to chip in on the Francis Drake/Spanish Armada bit. Love it of course, but it’s not completely accurate to say it was David vs Goliath at sea: the English, led by Howard, actually had the bigger fleet, though the Spanish did have more guns. The English were also very lucky with the weather conditions, and with the fact that the Spanish had the simultaneous problem of trying to deal with a major rebellion on the other side of the Channel, in what was then called the Spanish Netherlands. But the English used their resources well and did a tip-top defensive job (bit like parking the bus….), forcing the Armada to retreat the long way round, going north over Scotland and Ireland, during which the Spanish lost lots of their ships.

16. 26may1989 says:

Thanks for the prematch, Raddy. I have no idea what the result of the match tonight, or the tie, will be, but to write off our chances before a ball has been kicked is ridiculous.

Bayern are one of the world’s great clubs, a true member of the elite, and even if they were not riding high in Germany, they should always be favourites against us. And they have some very fine players (I like watching the weekly Bundesliga highlights).

And yet we have a chance. Remember the 2012 CL Final, in Munich, with a Bayern side every bit as strong against a flawed and faltering Chelsea side that contrived to finish 6th last season? Bayern managed to look the weaker side all the way through that match. They also started the 2011-12 domestic season in amazing form, just as they have done this season, yet threw it all away in the second half of the season, ultimately seeing Dortmund (whom we beat in last season’s CL) win the title. And from the snippets I’ve seen of Bayern this year, they look good, but not so good that we are beyond hope. Add to that a dollop of complacency I hope they have about us, and I think there’s something there for us, if……………..

….the fans turn up and give vociferous, unconditional support and

….the players give their absolute all, showing us what an aberration Saturday was.

I’m delighted with Wenger’s F*** You to the media yesterday, that ups the stakes for the players in a perfect way and sets the tone of backs to the wall defiance, something utterly British for our French boss to cherish.

Tonight will be a big moment for big players, with fascinating battles across the pitch, but the key I think will be Schweinsteiger: prevent him from getting possession in dangerous pockets of space outside the penalty area, and we can take control. Let him play his game, and I’d be pessimistic.

17. ArsenalForever says:

Fantastic post BR, very motivational and timely. I really hope fans put personal agendas aside today and really get behind the team tonight – especially if we go a goal down.

18. vp says:

A really uplifting post for what promises to be a mouthwatering match at the Emirates. What a game! Been counting down the days since the draw came out for this one. Agree 100% with Rasp- its time to forget the past few days and appreciate the treat we have before us. Win,lose or draw I for one am going to try and cherish every minute. Haven’t been this excited about a game in a while!

Barcelona,Birmingham, Bradford ,Blackburn,Burnley and now Bayern.Surely our luck can change.

20. Gus says:

Make your way over to le grove. In today’s post the comments will really surprise you. Still a few morons over there but there are some truly wonderful comments. Wengers press conference has had an emotional effect on all true arsenal fans even those who have been calling for his sacking for years. I’ve heard talks about fans planing to sing one arsene Wenger before the game today. Manthan, I love that video. Anyone at the game tonight, please sing as loud as you can, the players (who knows what they’re thinking at the moment) need our support.

21. slime says:

Jekyll or Hyde-ing?

We all hope we see the good side of Arsenal tonight, but there’s also the possibility of getting a good hiding if we see a Bradford or Blackburn type performance. Bayern have a very mean defence (against average League opposition) but Badstuber and Boateng are missing tonight. If we can get Theo, Pod and more importantly Wilshere running at the back line then we can score goals, but then again, scoring isn’t our problem!

I want high tempo, counter attacking football. Nick the ball off their midfielders and get at ‘em.

If we are to have any chance over the tie, I feel we need a 2 goal cushion tonight. A tough ask.

22. Gus says:

If you were arsene Wenger, what would you say to the team before they ran out onto the pitch tonight?

26may @ 11:57 – I agree it was great to see AW giving it to the press. I don’t want to see a man with a furrowed brow and worried expression, I want to see a man with fighting spirit driving his players to defeat the odds.

I hope the new feisty Arsene sticks around and other teams will come to fear playing the Arsenal as much as journalists will be wary of trying to manitpulate the truth where AW is concerned.

Some may say that AW’s apparent loss of his normal ‘cool’ was premeditated and was calculated to inspire a similar reaction from his players – it could even be true, but it doesn’t matter, the team will know that AW has had enough and it is up to them to put in the effort out on the pitch.

25. jonathan says:

Great preview as always BR
    We need to keep it tight & not concede, but we’re not very good at that! So i just hope we are still in the tie by 90mins, thats all i ask.
    Just leads me to think that whatever the outcome tonight, its going to be an all out goalfest in Munich.
    Giroud needs a big game, i’ve been disappointed with him lately, though he might be missing Podolskis delivery. So i hope our most efficient shooter is playing tonight, no place for Gervinho, no place for the Ox, the German must start.
    Apart from that an impartial Ref would be a delight.

26. jonathan says:

with regard to Gus @12.29, i wouldnt say anything i would just play them this video:-

27. Norfolk Gooner says:

Gus, this is for you,

Enter the manager

Wilshire. O that we now had here
    But one ten thousand of those men in England
    That do no work to-day!

Manager. What’s he that wishes so?
    My midfielder Wilshire? No, my fair Jack: If we are mark’d to lose, we are enow
    To do our club loss; and if to live,
    The fewer men, the greater share of honour.
    God’s will! I pray thee, wish not one man more.
    By Jove, I am not covetous for gold,
    Nor care I who doth feed upon my cost;
    It yearns me not if men my garments wear;
    Such outward things dwell not in my desires.
    But if it be a sin to covet honour,
    I am the most offending soul alive.
    No, faith, my Jack, wish not a man from England.
    God’s peace! I would not lose so great an honour
    As one man more methinks would share from me
    For the best hope I have. O, do not wish one more!
    Rather proclaim it, Wilshire, through my host,
    That he which hath no stomach to this fight,
    Let him depart; his passport shall be made,
    And crowns for convoy put into his purse;
    We would not die in that man’s company
    That fears his fellowship to die with us.
    This day is call’d the feast of Highbury.
    He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
    Will stand a tip-toe when this day is nam’d,
    And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
    He that shall live this day, and see old age,
    Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
    And say ‘To-morrow is Saint Highbury’s.’
    Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars,
    And say ‘These wounds I had on Highbury’s day.’
    Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot,
    But he’ll remember, with advantages,
    What feats he did that day. Then shall our names,
    Familiar in his mouth as household words-
    Henry the King, Bergkamp and Vierra,
    Adams and Talbot, Bould and MacLintock
    Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb’red.
    This story shall the good man teach his son;
    And Highbury shall ne’er go by,
    From this day to the ending of the world,
    But we in it shall be remembered-
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother; be he ne’er so vile,
    This day shall gentle his condition;
    And gentlemen in England now-a-bed
    Shall think themselves accurs’d they were not here,
    And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
    That fought with us upon Highbury’s day.

——————————————————————————–

28. SmartArse says:

I smell German blood tonight.

That’s if their coach tries to shake wengers hand if we get beat.

Simply wonderful BR.

I travelling to the US today but hoping to catch the second half.

I feel a win coming…

30. kgooner says:

LOve the attitude today! COYG!

31. jnyc says:

great job Raddy! Of course we can win. And i love the bio of Drake. I think i may pick up a book about him. Fascinating.

32. Jamie says:

I think whoever is playing the holding role for us would have a huge effect on the result. I would personally prefer couquelin to Arteta. With his pace, he could quickly close down Muller or Schwiensteiger, and that could be key to breaking up their attacks.

33. Shard says:

I love fighting talk. Especially when normally more reserved people such as Wenger and BR indulge in it. All the gooners going to the stadium..Make some serious noise tonight, and make us all proud.

34. Jamie says:

I think whoever is playing the holding role for us would have a huge effect on the result. I would personally prefer couquelin to Arteta. With his pace, he could quickly close down Muller and Schwiensteiger, and that could be key to breaking up their attacks.

35. Afternoon all, a stirring call to arms from Big & Dandy today, top hole stuff sir.

Gus – your call for solidarity with the manager against the hacks reminds me of the time I had a seat just behind the press pack at Ashburton Grove. I stood up and loudly said before the game had started – “So that’s where they all sit to write their pieces that stitch us up in the papers then”.

I saw a sea of faces look up and down quickly from the assembled hacks there.

To further cement the siege mentality we’re going to need till the end of the season is if the crowd turn and point at the press pack, shouting: “You’re just a bunch of wa**ers..” or some other pejorative chant.

Hi chary, are you in the Tavern this evening? It is a somewhat depleted AA ensemble with only chas, ant, myself and peaches so far – but I do expect a smattering of convivial Bayern fans to be amongst us.

37. Sadly Raspers I am not going to be at the Tavern today; but I will be there on Saturday, with one of my sons in tow.

I quite like the “us against them” spirit that we are building up – we’re going to need our team to be “super, super motivated” today.

38. jnyc says:

norfolk, I Love the henry V!

I agree chary – this may make LB spit his coffee out, but I will gladly join in with a chorus of ‘One Arsene wenger’ before the game to demonstrate my solidarity with his stance. We need a bunker mentality this evening to generate the momentum for the rest of the season. The game against the spuds will be pivotal.

40. Rasp – absolutely, we need to close ranks behind our team and manager and tell the rest of’ em to STFU.

Nice Raddy

Of course we can beat them. I went to both Barca games and we won and drew. People always underestimate Arsenals quality. I expect us to beat them 3-1.

So that Philip geezer offered 4 million for drakes head? If i was around in them days i would have betrayed him for a weeks holiday in Palma. hahaha

42. goonerjake says:

Oh no!

I’m staying here from now on, trawling some other blog has just left me dismayed!!

Do you remember are old friend SPECTRUM, he has just posted and I quote

” A home loss would be the best thing that could happen FOR us, not TO us tonight. I’m hoping for 5-1 to Bayern, but I’d settle for 4-1″

What a ************* fill in the gap yourself, and just to think I defend him as a fellow goner, his right to air his opinion and all that but that’s just going to far, BAN HIM, BAN HIM NOW!

43. SharkeySuresGhost says:

Rip roaring stuff Randy….

Thats more than I knew about Drake, as funnily enough English schools only do the national hero bit.

Got my ticket for tonight and I’ll see whoever at the Tavern (hopefully).

Haha goonerjake – at least he’s not infecting our debate :?

Hi Sharkey, hope to see you later then?

45. goonerjake says:

Right on rasp, come on the Arsenal, a good solid 2-0 victory and i’d be happy. Great post by the way BR

46. 26may1989 says:

Rasp, what time are the Taverners planning to get there?

47. SharkeySuresGhost says:

Rasp, barring major mishap….I’ll be there.

6.30? prob 7.00.

48. SharkeySuresGhost says:

Well said Jamie…as much as I love Arteta…I love the ‘snap’ and energy of Le Coq at DM.

Its not a choice I’d make for every game, but I think its would be my preference for tonight.

Would also prefer Le Coq over Jenks at RB

49. SharkeySuresGhost says:

Alright back to work for me…see you munglers later

Thanks for the kind words.

Wish I was a Taverner tonight, The tension of stream watching can be unbearable.

hi 26m, we’re having a bite at Yildiz prematch (you’re welcome to join us) and should be in the tavern 6:45 – 7:00.

On my way now, see you all later :P

52. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

Rasp
    Watch there no horse meat in the restaurant
    Enjoy the game it’s on Tv .

53. 26may1989 says:

Will definitely see you at one or other Rasp!

54. Bryan says:

Haven’t got time to read the article properly before I head to the stadium, my head says we won’t win tonight but my heart says it is possible so I’m going with that haha
    Lets make the atmosphere in the ground electric to help spur them on ;-)
    COME ON YOU ARSENAL

55. fauxlaux says:

Hey guys, I’m typically just a browser… but I have been wondering something: why hasn’t Podolski played lately? I don’t think I’ve seen him on the bench, either. Did he pick up an injury? Out of form?

I just thought that as strange since it seems that just a few weeks ago he scored and assisted three times.

56. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Im here

Fauxlaux. Poldi has been resting. He played and scored in the Stoke game (just 2 games ago) and was on the bench at Sunderland

Hi, PPP. Excited?

I think podolski will start and play right up there as a striker,might even replace giroud.

PPP don’t split hairs with me re Steve Bould He maybe asst.manager but his prime role was defensive coaching and introducing zonal marking :)

Arsenal are nearly 3/1 and Bayern odds on at10/11 tonight.

I don’t expect a goal feast but i am sure we will get a performance.

59. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Super excited Raddy. This could be an inspirational turning point in our season and for the future. This could also go pear shaped. But i always enjoy a European night proper. Im hoping the stars align and we see a little bit of magic, something that would wanna make you turn and hug a complete stranger, and something that will be etched into our memories forever. Something along the lines of Inter Meelan when all the chips were down or the return leg with AC Meelan.

I hope Rosa starts. If hes on (form), apart from Jack, there is no one better in our team at dropping the shoulder, turning and drawing another player and creating space whilst driving the team forward. He also busts a lung for the team and leads by example.

A win wouldnt shock me Raddy, however winning to nil would be very very special.

60. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Hi Kelsey. :-)

Its not really splitting hairs. Boro Primorac looks after tactics. Im curious though, and cant remember, but did we play zonal marking with the famous five?

61. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

By the way, im not too keen on Bould as assistant. I did before, but realise maybe i was more excited just for a bit of change. I dont see him as a future manager of Arsenal, not for a while at least. His apprenticeship is far from over.

62. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

I would put Pat Rice on the bench tonight :-D

I’m ready.
    Rasp mentioning Yildiz to us who can’t go is plain cruel :-(

Know what you mean Micky.

Mrs Raddy is on kitchen duty and I think tonight’s feast will be leftovers mixed with spaghetti. Much prefer the wonders of Yildiz. The Banter, The walk to the Ground and the atmos…. lucky Gooners

The atmosphere tonight will be electric.
    Damn the trains, so wanted to go. I think the press annoying Arsene will definately work in our favour, so too will our little mishap on saturday, as tonight will be all about the Will to Win.

Hi Raddy,
    Yildiz is my favourite restaurant in the world, as I know what’s for “afters” :-)

67. Gooner In Exile says:

Raddy perfect pre match pick me up for what lies ahead.

Something tells me it’s going to be fraught

COYRRG

68. evonne says:

grrrrrrhhhhhh……grrrrrhhhhh….RA – how do you write the sound of chattering teeth?

Raddy – great post and a great pirate knighted by the Queen :)
    I love the picture of TV, I feel like we are going to the war wiz the krauts. But I am petrified , cannot enjoy the build up, no balls

You are right. As long as we are in the game for the first 70+ mins the atmosphere will be great but if we are 2 down it will be cold and quiet.

Freezing cold here, not been above 0C since early Dec and minus 10C tonight … how is UK?

Oh God, Rasp will be ordering the extra chilli sauce as we speak :-(

evonne. Must admit the Tommy picture had me laughing for ages. You know that if TV could … he would :-D

Stop torturing yourself ….

No balls Evonne?
    Does that rule out a pre-Villa inspection?

Make your mind up evonne. have you got balls or not :)

Couple of things to do, then back

Arsenal: Szczesny, Sagna, Koscielny, Mertesacker, Vermaelen, Arteta, Ramsey, Walcott, Wilshere, Cazorla, Podolski.

Arsenal subs: Mannone, Jenkinson, Coquelin, Diaby, Rosicky, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Giroud.

78. Gooner In Exile says:

Assumption seems to be
    ………..Arteta……..Jack
    Rambo………Santi…………..Pod
    …………… ..Theo……….

Wonder whether this is more likely (certainly more balanced:

……….Arteta……..Rambo
    Theo………..Jack………….Santi
    …………… ..Pod……….

79. 20/20Vision says:

test

I just posted the team GIE

81. 20/20Vision says:

my posts keep disappearing!?!

82. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

I can see them 20/20

83. slime says:

Be interesting to see how we line up upfront:

Cazorla Pod Theo
    Pod Theo Ramsey
    Ramsey Pod Theo

I think I prefer the first option with Cazorla drifting off Lahm and linking up with Wilshere and Pod.

84. slime says:

Anyone else hate watching CL football on ITV? Can’t stand the host, commentators or pundits.

85. evonne says:

No, I think I have little balls for lesser games, but no big balls for huge fixtures like tonight’s game.

Sorry DidIt, cannot meet you in the toilets on Saturday, have a surgery on Friday, out of action for several weeks

86. Gooner In Exile says:

Bless Bob Wilson stick R5 on now!

Slating Stewart Robson :D

And stressing not one media outlet checked the contract story before running with it yesterday

87. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

Yes slime I am watching it in itv has it started yet

Oh bollocks Evonne :-)

89. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

Great keeper bob Wilson I remember him when I was a lad in the 70s.
    I’m sure he was Scottish ,not many good Scottish keeps around ever.

GiE
    I prefer your
    ……….Arteta……..Rambo
    Theo………..Jack………….Santi
    …………… ..Pod
    but would have chosen Coq to play in the two with Arteta to creat a defensive shield and allow the others to cut loose

91. Gooner In Exile says:

His parents were Scottish pretty sure he was born inChesterfiejd.

92. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

Correct GIE just wiki him .
    Played for Scotland as he had a Scottish mam

Disappointed with the team. We should be going gung-ho, not packing the midfield with a 4-4-2.

Still, let’s hope AKB

Sheep
    GiE is not around. He’s outside having a fag :-)

95. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

I’d swap Walcott with podoiski position
    Play pod up front Walcott left wing

Raddy,
    I was being polite in my team line up.
    Hope I’m wrong.
    Let’s see how they set up.

Right
    Come on you Gunnnnnnnners

98. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Up an at ‘em boys.

COYRRGunners!!!

99. 20/20Vision says:

Imagine the Bayern goal is Adrian (hawkphtt)Durham’s GOB!

Damn. Horrible start. Now it is time to really get stuck in..

COYG

101. slime says:

Oh dear.

I would swap Theo and Pod. If Theo plays RW you know he will be involved, but upfront he could disappear. He’s doing ok though so far.

I fear they may just pick us off on the counter now.

102. slime says:

It’s hard enough without making mistakes. We can’t be giving the ball away on the edge of our area.

COYG

We are being outclassed. Need to fight for this one.

Another setplay goal which was avoidable.

104. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

Bloody awful shameless.
    And some of u still want Wenger in charge brb find my Prozac .

105. slime says:

Going to be a long night.

106. 20/20Vision says:

Another scuffed off the turf shot like Blackburn Saturday! We’re well over due some luck from the football Gods,dig in Gunners , make your luck!

107. slime says:

These are a class above us even if we had a decent level of confidence, so it’s no surprise we are second best at the moment. I dont even think its a case of we havent performed, its just that they are too good for us. If ever a goal was needed to lift a team, it’s now.

108. Irishgunner says:

Worst thing is – we have no fight!

109. slime says:

I think we’ve shown some spirit, it’s the defensive organisation we lack. They are a brilliant defensive unit and we look a bit lost of ideas to break them down.

110. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

We can’t beat Blackburn never mind This lot .
    They are a class above us and the Germans are singing.
    Footballs coming home shameless glad I’m not English with them singing that to the English fanz

Cheating bastards
    Rules state quite clearly 11 players not f…ing 17

Slime
    Spot on

We break, and they still get back faster than us.
    Have to go all out for something second half. Any suggestions?

I find it all very sad,it really is men against boys and ironic that our two germans aren’t contributing much in attack or in defence.Walcott has no chance playing centrally.Bayern are a very good team so it’s a second half of playing hopefully for pride.

115. Shard says:

Micky,

Get Giroud on..Rosicky might help as well because he speeds up the play. Who to take off is a problem. Ramsey been decent, but I guess it’ll have to be him for Giroud, and either of Podolski or Cazorla for Rosicky later..That’s what I’d do anyway :)

116. slime says:

Micky :)

If it wasn’t for Chelsea being very lucky, then this team are basically the best team in Europe. It shows. All without Robben, Gomez, Boateng and Badstuber!

Little annoyed with the way we press teams. All we do is put a couple of men within 5 yards of the man on the ball, but if no-one actually goes to make the tackle then he’s still got time to pick a pass, so what’s the point!? Would be better off just standing off in 2 lines of 5 and let them break us down.

Don’t want to criticise too much, what would be the point?

Slime agree completely.

Bayern’s first half performance may the best I have seen from an away side at the Emirates. Absolutely fantastic,

No doubt the knockers will point at Arsenal’s failings but we expected BM to be superb and they are.

As to no fight? 3 yellow cards and could have been more. We can’t get the ball and when we have it can’t find any space to work.

118. 20/20Vision says:

you mean the 5 officials Micky?

Gervinho could confuse the Germans. Apart from that, I have no idea how to beat them.

What would be the point of OG coming on – we haven’t put in a single attackable cross.

The 2nd goal was avoidable. Awful defending.

Come on, it aint over yet. 3 goals would do :-)

121. 20/20Vision says:

Just a a bit of Chelski CL luck (or Chelski dodgy bottomless pit of dodgy ruebels?)

122. slime says:

I can’t see any benefit to having Theo up front against these.

We haven’t got the midfield territory or space to thread him through, and he’s got zero chance of winning a header. Get Giroud on to win a few headers. That would give us a platform to play from.

2-1!!!!

123. evonne says:

Arsenal are rubbish at corners :) ha ha ha Micky :)

Get in ……

125. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

;-)

126. Irishgunner says:

We have more yellow cards than them – that’s something right …

127. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Noooo!

128. slime says:

So unlucky from Giroud!

Our forward play has faltered a bit in the full back areas tonight. I think playing without a RW has affected Sagna and Gibbs is an obvious miss down the left.

We are showing great spirit though.

129. slime says:

The Giroud shot and their 3rd sums up our luck this season. Ridiculous

Didn’t deserve that – we have been much better 2nd half.

131. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

Game over Arsen Wenger
    I can’t take no more,it’s like watching fawlty towers on a football field,

“Thank you and goodnight – much love”,
    Sheep Hagger™.

132. Irishgunner says:

Jack has such good spirit and fight.

Think we should have started with TR7 as well if he was fit.

133. slime says:

Wenger got it wrong tonight.

Playing Walcott up front and no RW didn’t work. As soon as Theo went wide and gave Alaba something to think about, Sagna’s forward play improved. Giroud doesn’t give much in behind, but he does give a base from which to build attacks. Bayern packed the midfield and made it impossible for us to get the space to play Theo in behind, this making him ineffectual.

We showed great spirit, but the tactics were wrong tonight. Wenger to leave at the end of the season? I think he might.

This evening proved that the better team usually wins. Bayern showed why they are considered the best in the World.

No blame for AW or any of our lads (though the defence was shite for their second), they did their best and that is all we can ask of them.

135. Reddawn says:

The pitch looked in fine condition tonight!

slime. It is easy with hindsight :-D

I thought OG should have started and played 3 in midfield. AW disagreed!

137. Shard says:

Lady luck isn’t a particular friend of ours is she? Just when we have some go our way with the award of the corner and the goal, we then have to concede a crummy 3rd. All 3 goals we conceded were quite avoidable from a defensive point of view. But you only have to look at the goal we scored to see that defensive errors happen to the best of teams as well. If Giroud’s shot goes in, I think we might’ve won that game. It’s all about taking chances.

No shame in losing today. It did show our shortcomings, but once again, we show that we aren’t far from being a great side. The elements are all there. Just a few catalysts and we’ll be all set to fight at the top again.

But I am fed up with defending my team, so it is goodnight from me and goodnight from Big Raddy.

139. Shard says:

Maybe I missed some of it, but I thought Cazorla wasn’t very good tonight. I wouldn’t have taken Podolski off. He had just scored and was beginning to take players on. I guess the choice was made easier by Podolski being on a yellow.

Well, that was a bit depressing, and more so because I’ve just googled their finances, and basically they run a similar sustainable model to us, and yet how many of our players would get into their team?

141. Gooner In Exile says:

Well that was a footballing lesson, we were beaten by a team at the peak of its footballing powers….admittedly we could have done more with the goals but sometimes you have to admit you’re not the best team on the pitch.

Really interesting prematch on Radio 5, BobWilson and a Daily Telegraph journo.

Wilson stuck up for Wenger in terms of the disrespect he has been shown recently but also admitted there were shortcomings in the team. He slated Robson Ada man with an agenda which the sane of us know he is.

More interesting was the Telegraph journo, he has interviewed Kroenke, Pugatch accused him if being silent Stan, the journo replied that Kroenke has given more interviews than Mansour, Abrmovich or the Glaziers and many other PL owners. Also then Pugatch said we know Usmanov is here but what about Stan, again which he replied he is, and he goes to more games than you would realise he just doesn’t like to be photographed or seen all te time. Found that interesting.

142. Gooner In Exile says:

Micky in relation to their competition I would guess they are well paid compared to counterparts at say Wolfsburg or even Dortmund (and actually their revenue is way over that of ours).

True GiE,
    Its all down to massive commercial revenue.
    I can cope with being outmuscled financially by Oil Money, but we have lessons to learn from our German chums about selling Arsenal Pyjamas and whatnot.

144. slime says:

Am I the only one who enjoyed the game!? I thought Bayern were excellent and shut up shop at 2-0, choosing to hit us on the break where possible. Like GiE says, they are at the top of their game right now.

Great teams come and go, and our time will come again, but at the moment we are far away from the level required. How much of that is down to ability? Very little, based on our 2nd half showing, but the gap in tactics, know-how and confidence is huge right now. I believe these are the areas that Wenger is struggling to have an impact on.

145. Gooner in Exile says:

I have a set of babygrows incoming if that helps :D

We were 0-2 down by the time I started watching.

I thought we were OK, but Bayern just seemed to know what they were doing whereas we were “giving it a go” without a real plan.

Quite a chastening lesson really. We are a long way off the top table of European football at the moment.

I thought it was odd to take off our goal scorer, particularly as we were playing opposition against whom he has something to prove and that, seconds before his substitution, he had torn the Bayern defence apart to create a good goal scoring opportunity.

147. Gooner in Exile says:

Slime i think experience has lot to do with it, that team has grown together, yes they have had a few additions to strengthen but the core has been there and allowed to grow up together. Thats what we need now.

Munich took a few backward steps in order to make some big leaps forward.

Last year after the Milan game I think it was our time to do the same, remove the old heads who had failed and leave us with a core of youngsters and allow them to sink or swim together.

For me that core is as follows:

Szczesny, Gibbs, Wilshere, Jenkinson, Koscielny, Ramsey, Theo.

Thats my starting point for the future of the club, i know Koscielny is a little older that the others but i believe he has the right attitude.

Around them i would try and blood as many youngsters as possible.

I don’t buy the “none of our players would get in the Bayern team” line.

I just think that Santi, Jack, TR7, Theo and others would be better if they were in the Bayern team.

149. Shard says:

I’m surprised at the reaction. I thought the first half was poor, and the goals we conceded were frustrating. But we definitely showed that we have some quality. Maybe some of it was down to Bayern sitting back, but I don’t remember them creating very many chances in the whole game, despite our rather shaky defense. They just took their chances when they came. Had a bit of luck with the 3rd goal, and the cross for the 1st. WHile we had a bit of luck to get back in it (from a Bayern mess up), then couldn’t take our chance, and finally conceding a scrappy 3rd. It is about efficiency most of all because the margins are very fine. I don’t believe we are that far. But I guess people have gotten tired of saying/hearing/thinking that. It’s been true for a few years. But we’ve just been losing players and needing to replace them. That should stop from now.

Anyway. Don’t want to make this about Arsenal’s business model again. Bayern were the better team and it showed. But I think we did well enough to have perhaps earned a draw.

150. Irishgunner says:

I do love Jack – that guy has some heart. Proper Arsenal heart – if we could insert that into every other player we’d never lose. We have players with ability, they need Jack’s never say die attitude and his love of the club.

151. Rob Lucchi says:

Jupp Hyneks had time to build his side. Bayern side that we faced tonight had been to two champions league final. 4 of our players didn’t even play for our sides last season and two of them only been here last season.

Arsene need time to build this side, and this new team need time to build a chemistry with each other. I will give them that time.

Damn laptop’s gone wonky
    Now on telephone which will end in tears
    GiE good work with the babygrows
    Bayern pay their top blokes more atnd the first team fringers a lot less
    Wht were we better once we were 2 down?
    The crowd were right behind them from the off

153. Rob Lucchi says:

Irish,

I think Jack had been neglecting his defensive duties on the last few games and put a huge burden on Arteta to screen our backfour alone.

Ooops sorry Shard
    You are right now’s not the time for money talk.
    We were beaten by a very good team
    Hopefully join you all in the morning if not i’M off to the laptop shop
    Nite all

155. Irishgunner says:

Rob – I didn’t get to see some of our last games in full so can’t really argue with you, but is Arteta not meant to be sitting deeper and playing that more defensive role to allow Jack and Cazorla get forward? JW put in a great shift tonight – Cazorla was poor, I wonder how much the game would have changed had Rosicky started?!

156. slime says:

GiE,

I agree that we need a core that can grow together, but it is too young at the moment to add more youngsters to it. It needs more experience before it can develop into a trophy winning side.

My core would be Szscesny, Jenkinson, Gibbs, Coquelin, Wilshere, Ramsey, Ox, Theo.

I would happily keep Kozzer, Verm, Monreal, Cazorla, Podolski and Giroud at the club.

That leaves a lot of players who I think we could improve on! :)

157. Rob Lucchi says:

Irish,

I cannot disagree that Jack put a really great shift tonight, however, everytime we been counter attack by Bayern, I only saw Arteta busting his guts to help the defence. Compared with Bayern that have both Shweinsteiger and Martinrz covering their backfour.

158. Irishgunner says:

Fair enough point Rob -don’t think any of our midfield that started are the type of players to play the role anyway, not to excuse the lack of trying by some though.

159. Evening gooner mates – just in from the game …… Bayern are a very good team and we are not as good as them. Of course, it would help (yet again) if we knew how to defend ……. yawn :(

Anyway, as you all got to see the game on the tv can someone put together a few thoughts for a post for tomorrow please?????

160. Irish – your man TR7 should have started the game IMHO, great player, what a shame we missed his best years through injury :(

161. SharkeySuresGhost says:

Irishgunner says:
    February 19, 2013 at 8:21 pm

Worst thing is – we have no fight!

That was so true for so much of tonights match. the lack of fight was exemplfied by three moments, two of which are pretty easy to describe.
    1. CB feints then skips thru two Arsenal forwards, neither bothers to chase him, bu instead drop their shoulders and feel sorry themselves. I think it was Theo and Podo
    2. Sagna kills his own space and ends up trapped on the sideline shielding the ball. No Arsenal player went to support him…not one.

Re the third, there was a point at which we were so lethargic moving the ball after a BM attack broke down that I thought the ref had given a free kick.

Almost throuhout the game we needed some urgency and didn;t generate any. Rosicky added some with that breathtaking pass out to Theo. But thats how our luck is that its on OGs right foot and Neuer is given a chance. With mins Mandzukic has much better luck, 3-1.

162. SharkeySuresGhost says:

Just look where BM players were when we tried to move forward, compare to ours when BM had the ball. I lost count of how many times I could see 4 or 5 players wrong side of the ball with BM barely into our half.

The TV highlights I saw on way hme really highlighted BMs superior work rate and defensive organisation and spirit. its your spirit and attitude that dictates how much you care and how hard you work.

Again I reference Irish….clone Jack’s spirit and share it around. Inject it into club canteen B-burgers if we have to

163. SharkeySuresGhost says:

I thought I’d posted from my phone on the way home. Found it…..to follow:

164. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

Cant imagine how bad that looked on Tv. Complete and utter lack of urgency and confidence..especially first half

I had a great time though..shouting and singing myself hoarse (insert your own burger gags here)

165. SharkeySuresGhost says:

It was a great night atmosphere wise, and with a reverdal of fortune between Mandz and Giroud…who knows…??

Ok, not so much as progress to next round, but at least make a tie of it

Night

166. Sharkey
    It’s pointless if we can’t defend.

167. neamman says:

Bayern are a great team. Its no disgrace.

I agree with you GM.

I think the root of all our problems is defending (by which I don’t just mean the back 5).

Morning all.

Well not the greatest start to be 0-2 in twenty minutes down to a crack german team, who quite frankly are a good level above us, and I stress team..

Defensively we are a shambles as a unit,yet individually good players.I will not play chamionship manager but also thought it strange that Ramsey started instead of Rosicky. OPIG seemed to just go through the motions,hardly said a word all night,is he going to be another Fabianski.Although young has he got the right mental attitude to recover from these results, I hope so.
    I have always maintained mertesacker is not what we need.he is a giant mouse,slow and another who never opens his mouth we desperately need a leader in his position.
    Jack oozes class and unless there is a real change of policy by the club he will be much in demand by other clubs.
    At half time we hadn’t mustered a shot and the only reason we looked to play better in the second half was that bayern knew the game was effecively won and could have stepped up a gear if so required.
    Going back to Wenger’s pre match press conference I found that more alarming than the match itself.make of it what you will but i have never heard him speak like that,totally aggitated and quite frankly all it did was fuel the media to hound him even more.The man is under immense pressure most probably from himself than by any other influence at the club, and it is sad to see.
    The crowd did it’s best to lift the players but in their hearts most probably knew it was a lost cause.
    We may have witnessed an end of an era with a 50-50- chance of achieving CL qualification as the only thing to play for with nearly 3 months of the season still to go.

170. slime says:

We cannot defend. It’s laughable at times.

What’s worrying is that we have had worse players than this under Wenger and played better football. The team has ability, but without confidence, momentum or self belief, we are poor.

171. slime says:

The teams needs to go back to basics. We need some steel brought into the CB position, GK position and CM position. We’ve tried to build around a technical spine but it just hasn’t worked. The Szczsesny, Mertersacker, Arteta platform is looking weak and slow. The team needs a solid foundation to lay the more gifted players around. These are the areas I would be looking to strengthen in the summer.

172. Gooner In Exile says:

Morning all, Kelsey you may remember that after qualifying for the CL again which lets not forget some pundits (like Gary Neville) called his greatest ever achievement ever considering the players/team at his disposal I asked him to leave.

It surprised me just how badly some fans took it and many demanded he stayed on and that I was a fool etc etc. I am of course a supporter of Wenger but I felt that he had taken the burden of the criticism for the Board for too long.

That said I had no idea who would replace him, and still don’t, because I am not sure any other manager will accept the role and restrictions as graciously as he has over the years.

Also I have felt since the departures of Cesc and co that we really needed to take some backward steps before moving forward properly. I’m willing to accept that rather than bimbling along to CL qualification but no real chance of winning it while we change players so frequently.

I’m willing to see us blood youngsters and grow a team together, that play for each other and put some real targets in place for development.

But we need to go back to basics, playing without fear and playing our football, whilst the clamour for trophies continues the pressure will grow and the players will continue to hide within themselves.

173. slime says:

I think ALL Arsenal fans should stop watching the team until the end of the season. Go and support your local club for a few months, recharge the batteries! It will give the players a chance to settle into a unit and play without fear of judgement. Then, in August, we can all come back together, faith renewed, and enjoy the game for what it is. What do you think!? :)

Morning GIE

You make a very good reasoned arguement but the key to all of this is Kroenke.
    Have we unintentionally wasted the last 3/4 years with project youth and losing one key player after another together with the emmergence of City as well as Chelsea and ,the recession none of which could have been calculated when the go ahead was given for the expenditure of the new stadium.?
    I have said it before that I genuinely feel for Wenger but it might be best for him to bow out gracefully when this season ends.
    Who replaces him is an entirely different matter and we may well have to wait a good few years to see a squad that can really challenge and be far more consistant.

175. slime says:

On second thoughts, what this club needs is a 60 second montage!

Eye of the Tiger in the background, players bench pressing tree trunks outside a barn in Russia. Giroud pulling a truck through the snow. Vermaelen plunging an axe into logs!!!

Sell it on DVD, everyone’s ready for a fight and the club makes a profit! :)

slime

I presume that was a joke :) sorry make that 2 jokes

Morning all, I am going to save my comments for the match report – but unfortunately, at this point, we don’t have one :(

178. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

Slime
    Do u want. Me to become a Swansea Jack

Neither Rasp nor I have time to write anything to publish this morning. If someone has time to put together a few comments that would be great …… it doesn’t have to be a match report.

180. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

Peaches
    Just done one whilst I had a cuppa
    Use if its any good
    Ta

181. 26may1989 says:

Good morning, everyone.

Of course, I hate seeing my beloved Arsenal lose a match, but I don’t feel too distressed about last night. I certainly don’t put any blame at Wenger’s door, or even the players. When you see a team that is simply superior to yours, there’s something to enjoy and savour, even while being disappointed. Bayern were tremendous last night, the best visiting team performance since Barca in 2010, when only Manuel Almunia’s best performance for us kept it (amazingly and against all logic) 0-0 at halftime and Cesc’s broken leg double snatched a draw for us.

And the feature of both Barca that night and Bayern last night that impresses so much is physical intensity when not in possession. All over the pitch, Bayern players (defenders, midfielders, forwards) pressed and harried us, forcing errors, denying easy passes. That takes a huge amount of effort and fitness, and it wasn’t much of a surprise to see Bayern ease off a bit once they had taken control in the first half.

The question to me is: why don’t our players play with the same degree of intensity? I don’t know the answer, but it is very impressive to see a team like Bayern, with players of the highest technical ability who also work individually and collectively so hard. It was notable that even individualists like Ribery and Robben were selfless in the way they played and worked. The only time they blotted their copybook was conceding our goal (the first time they have conceded in something like 16 or 17 games), with what was the worst piece of defensive play from either side in the entire match. But that one point aside, they were excellent, I feel we may well have watched the 2013 European Champions last night.

Could we match the physical intensity? Is it a matter of innate fitness or the intensity of Bayern’s training? Without knowing anything about what it takes to coach footballers, so I don’t pretend to know the answer, I have a nagging feeling it might be the latter, at least in part.

A word about comparing the two clubs: Bayern Munich have for decades been one of European football’s great institutions, they exist at a much higher level than us. Yes, they balance their books and built a new stadium but they do that off the back of already being a massive club. We are just at the beginning of a process of building up the club, it will take years before we can really expect to see the fruits of our labours, especially while there are oilers around, destroying much of the good work proper football clubs like ours can achieve.

182. evonne says:

Bayern played best football I have seen for a long time. Better than tippy tappy Catalans or grinding results Manyoo

I can cope with us losing to BM, I can cope with us losing to any team, I can cope with no silverware….but I cannot face any more morons shoving the 8 years in my face

Still, I tried to say to myself in front of the mirror ‘Wenger has to go’…………I cannot.

183. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

Headlines on daily mirror!
    Out of the fa cup
    Out of leauge cup
    Out of title race
    Almost out of CL
    Should Wenger be out of a job..?

184. evonne says:

love this piece, can cry pretending the lyrics make me tearful

185. 26may1989 says:

Hi Evonne

As you know, I do think we’ve reached the point when a change of regime will be good for the club. But I also reject the idea that eight years without a trophy equals failure. Judgments always have to be made by reference to context, else the judgment is meaningless, and the context of Arsenal from 2004 to 2010 (when the stadium debt was refinanced) means Wenger’s achievement was stunning, better in my opinion than what he’d achieved with us before. The trouble is communicating this message in a simplistic, shouty, tabloid-and-blogger age is very difficult.

186. evonne says:

oooh 26may, I suppose you are right. I still think that we are very close indeed, but we were close last year and the year before.

The danger is that the next manager is not going to be better than Wenger, and that would definitely mean decline. We have seen that at Liverpool, Villa, Chelsea. We have seen the stability of SAF’s regime.

Though decision for me, but I am painfully loyal and would rather Wenger was given a couple more years. And money to buy a goalie and some defenders.

OK folks, in the absence of a match report, I’m afraid I’ve hurriedly written a rant – :( apologies in advance for this ….

…. New post …….

188. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

Job description

Football manager = to win trophies and get results
    Tyre fitter= to fit tyres to motor vehicles
    Nurse= help to aid recover get people better
    Chef= to cook meals.
    Road sweeper=sweep up rubbish

If any of the above don’t do the job as described above what would happen.

THEY WOULD BE SACKED

189. ArsenalForever says:

Morning all,

GIE @ 7:38 – Spot on. I’m in full agreement with you

26May @ 9:04 – Regarding the intensity, the thing that stood out for me was how comfortable each BM player looked in their respective positions within their formation. This allied with real, purposeful intent from the first whistle gave them the edge. IMO Credit to our players, they gave it a real go second half, but it didn’t seem to me like they were following a particular game-plan.