Wilshere or Bale?

Simple question: who is more important to their team – Gareth Bale or Jack Wilshere?

The idea was discussed in the comments on Arsenal Arsenal a couple of days ago in response to Gn5’s Post about this season’s run-in.

wilshere v bale

Some people suggested that the loss of Bale through injury would be a blow from which Tottenham’s Champions League hopes could not possibly recover.

The implication was that Tottenham have become something of a “One Man Team” – the same charge that was leveled against us last year, when Robin van Whatsisname was scoring most of our goals.

Some polite and courteous Totts fans (yes, seriously) joined the discussion to suggest that we would be in the same boat should our own Jack Wilshere come a cropper.

It was an interesting debate and I can summarise the Arsenal supporters’ response fairly simply (it’s not what you’re thinking – this was a courteous discussion, remember?). It was: “If we lost Jack for a period of time it would be a blow but not a devastating one because we have other strong midfield options, including Santi Cazorla, Arteta, Diaby, Rosicky, Coquelin and Ramsey.”

On the other hand, if you look at Tottenham, Bale has been scoring at better than a goal every other game for them this season. He has 15 in all competitions in 29 appearances. The Spuds’ only other serious goal threat is Defoe, who has 14 from 32 games. Remove Bale from the equation and the Totts would suddenly look very toothless up front.

There is no question that both Wilshere and Bale are gifted players. We Arsenal types may make fun of the Spurs man and the fact that his best friends are Tarzan and Dian Fossey, but we would probably all be very pleased with him indeed if he wore a cannon on his shirt and not a chicken perched on a basketball.

Wilshere, meanwhile, is already being talked of as a future Arsenal and England captain. Whatever Spuds fans might say about him now, you know they would love him in their team.

However, one area of difference between Bale’s importance to Spurs and Wilshere’s to Arsenal is that if you asked Tottenham fans to say who was their most important player I bet virtually everyone would opt for Bale.

If you asked Arsenal fans the same question, Wilshere might well be the top answer but he would certainly not be an overwhelming winner. Santi Cazorla, Walcott and Arteta would all (I suspect) get a lot of votes.

No doubt there will be many surprises between now and the end of the season. Injuries, fixture congestion, form and confidence will all play their part.

If Bale and Wilshere both stay fit they will surely have an impact on their teams’ respective prospects of a top four finish.

But if either gets injured… what do you think?

For me, a Bale injury would make it very, very tough for Spurs. A Wilshere injury would be more manageable for Arsenal.

Note to Spurs Fans: Arsenal Arsenal welcomes your comments on this subject if they are non-abusive. We have had friendly debates with Spurs fans in the past and are happy to do so again, but abusive comments will be deleted.

RockyLives

116 Responses to Wilshere or Bale?

Thank you Rocky for ensuring that I’m not far from my laptop this morning ….. it’s ok for you getting up at our lunch-time ;)

2. Hi Peachy, do you mean The Rocks post will mean you have to keep an eye out for any naughtiness ?

I’d just remove the Spud tag(assuming there is one) from the post, but that is of course a management decision. :)

3. kgooner says:

This lull has inspired a range of stimulative posts. This one, will no doubt live up to the recent posts. Thank you RockLives

The sp*ds would no doubt have a major blow if they lost bale. He’s scored enough match winners for them. He’s too important to them. On the contrary,Jack is one tactical option out of many. A strong, incisive and unique tactical option, but out of many all the same. His loss would be replaced by a tweaking of the current system(s) that we play to make the most of his presence. Yes we would lose out, but not as much as the sp*ds. Jack is a undeniably a great asset.

I voted Bale. Good afternoon/morning

4. Michael Bulmer says:

Its doesnt really matter does it as Wiltshire is city bound and we will be selling Bale to our second hand superstar shop this summer.

Personally with Adebayor back I think the article is a little short.

To be fair, with Arsenals embarrassment of riches in midfield and on the forward line I am shocked to see you adrift of us.

I expect it will be a lot closer on the final day

5. Norfolk Gooner says:

Good morning to you all,

Rocky you are right, Bale is more important to Spurs than Jack is to Arsenal but only because we have a better balanced squad than our neighbours.

There’s a nice picture on Arsenal.com of Pat Rice receiving his OBE from Her Majesty the Queen. Congratulations Pat!

6. Hi chary – it’s always difficult to know what pops up on their newsnow page. I’ll pop over and have a look.

7. Tspurs1 says:

Bale would be a really big loss to spurs the way he’s playing there’s no one to touch him at the moment, with spurs not buying another forward it know relies on Defoe and Ade to start scoring regularly , I’ve watched there new signing Holtby and I think we have knicked a gem of a player, the derby games going to be great I doubt all 11 men on each team will be there at the end of the game.
    And that’s where spurs will have the upper hand Wiltshire is to hot headed wind him up and we could run out easy winners COYS

8. Peachy, it looks like it has appeared on their newsnow feed anyway.

Oh well, it could get a bit tasty here soon.

9. Norfolk Gooner says:

Nice try Michael Bulmer, but it wont wash I’m afraid. Jack is Arsenal through and through, born and bred a Gooner. As to Bale? Yes i think he will be off soon following Modric to Real Madrid, Levy needs the money.

Adebayor? Hmmm.

By the way I like your cider :-)

10. Ali says:

Yes it is on our news feed. I’d like to see myself as having a honest view and unbiased. Bale would be a bigger loss to Tottenham,I dont think you can compare the two though,two very different players for their teams,if anything it should be Bale vs Walcott seeing as they were both signed as prospects from the same team and no offence but we know who wins that one. Looking at both teams on paper Arsenal have a better squad and Im suprised your not above us considering the management changes that were made at Spurs in the summer,I was fully expecting a top 6 finish at best if I am to be honest and that could still yet happen.

11. Subbed after 70 says:

Bale would be the greater loss but we’d cope
    You’d cope without Wilshire but you’d certainly not be as good

COYS

12. Darren says:

I have to say I agree – Bale is a pivotal player for us and we don’t have many other players as effective, though Lennnon is having a memorable season and gives opposing left backs more than pause for thought and Sandro was having a career year until in jury (as Optastats illustrated) but on balance, Arsenal can probably cope with Wilshere’s absence better than Spurs could Bale’s as the Arsenal midfield has more creativity than Spurs (high hopes for Holtby tho’…) To be honest, Wilshere is likely to miss the odd game or two through suspension rather than injury if he can’t help getting involved in every spat going and has to learn to control his unbridled aggression if he is to be the creative force future Arsenal (and England) teams are built around. Strangely, I don’t see Wilshere leaving Arsenal any time soon. As or Bale…who knows but in his favour he was savvy enough to sign a new deal when others were looking at greener grass……..

13. Rob Lucchi says:

Happy birthday to Mr Reliable, Bacary Sagna!!

14. Pretty straight forward says:

Yup, Bale is more important for Spurs than Wilshere is to Arsenal, but then again – Bale is the much, much better player.

15. cartelx says:

The obvious answer a bale loss being much more damaging for spurs than if the same happened to arsenal with wilshere
    Bale us currently unplayable
    And would be in anyones world XI playing left midffield
    Wilshere us a good player But clearly not On the same level – yet.
    Maybe he will get to that level maybe not,
    So it remains to be seen,
    But there is a lenghty list of central midfielders ahead of him On a world level

16. Manthan says:

RL,
    Nice post….
    I think Spurs are more reliant on bale den arsenal are on whilsere.. If whilsere is not there we have other players playing for same position… If we look at arsenal assists and goals there are 5 candidates Santi.JW,Theo,OG and poldi while spurs only have BALEEEEE… So it will huge blow for them if they loose bale…

17. Manthan says:

Pretty Straight,

Bale and whilsere are different class.. Bale plays wide he has to attack more while on other hand whilsere plays in middle he attacks and defends both….

18. 26may1989 says:

Nice post and good comments from the Spurs contingent.

One reason that Bale would be missed more by Spurs than Wilshere by Arsenal is (prepare yourself….) Bale is better than Wilshere.

I know, I shouldn’t say such things, but it’s true. Wilshere is an excellent player, and a dyed-in-the-wool Gunner. He is our future and he has made an amazing recovery from an 18-month injury lay-off. But Bale has been operating at an incredibly high level for over a year now. I laugh to think of how badly Redknapp treated Bale in the early days, publicly doubting the youngster and undermining him, when anyone with half a brain could see there was something special about monkeyboy. Bale came through that, and is now rightly spoken of as a future Barca or Real player.

We do also have deeper midfield resources to cope with Jack’s absence, though I really hope we don’t have to call on them: he adds a degree of dynamism and drive that only Cazorla can match. Having had such a poor first half to the season, we need to go for maximum points in every single game that remains, and that means we need Jack.

I also absolutely agree with the Spurs comments about it being a surprise that we’re behind them – they have some good players but our squad is better, we should never have allowed the current situation to arise. But that’s where we are now, let’s just hope we can drive on to 4th or even 3rd place.

19. Ali says:

Well said 26may1989

20. Manthan says:

26may,
    I agree with whatever you told but how you feel bale is better then Jack. They both are different calibre…

21. Mike Rowe says:

Bale would be more missed for sure but AVB has a squad that is very adapable and when Bale was suspended earlier in the season he re-jigged and Lennon had some of his best games for us. Also we got Holtby in and he looks like he could be a quality signing at a bargain price. One man does not make a team for Spurs or Arsenal but Bale as some have said is unplayable at the moment and no team wants to lose a player of his quality in the run in. It will be close for sure.

22. Norfolk Gooner says:

It’s almost impossible to compare the two players, they are totally different, not least in their respective positions, Wilshire in central midfield where his dynamic style is ideally suited to his role, Bale on the wing where his speed is, some might say, his main asset.

Both players are likely to pick up bookings, Wilshire for his honest aggression and Bale for his, shall we say, histrionics.

23. Jay Spurs says:

This is a no brainer, Bale would clearly be more of a loss as he is clearly more influential than wilshire right now. Id go as far to say that behind Ronaldo, messi, falcoa and van persie, Bale is the next most valuable player in the world of football due to the influence he can have on a game.
    On the other hand Spurs still have a very good team without Bale, the likes of dembele, sandro, vertongen, lennon, lloris have all had an excellent season thus far, with players like Adebyor, Dempsey, Sigurdson all still quality players with a lot to offer!

Would loosing either one of GB or JW spell the end for their sides champions league hopes? I think you would be stupid to believe it to be true! It would be a dent to the sides but by no means conclusive to who will be in top 4…

Id go with Spurs for the top 4 with Arsenal hope being Bale getting injured :)

24. I don’t think Rocky is seeking to compare the two players ( as they play in different positions ) only to suggest who would be a bigger miss for their team if they got injured.

I believe we would be able to cope without Jack even though we would miss his drive and determination.

25. Bobb says:

Losing Bale would be a blow but one we could cope with, likewise losing Wilshere would be a blow which Arsenal could cope with. Manure losing RVP would be a blow but they would cope, RM losing CR7 would be a blow but they would cope.

Pointless article.

26. Gooner In Exile says:

As far as importance to the team I think it’s really difficult, Bale provides goals for Spurs whereas Wilshere provides our drive and energy when the tide appears to be turning against us.

That element of leadership/heart is what I think we would miss most from losing Wilshere.

Is Bale the heart of the Spurs team or the focus of their attacks (much like BSR was for us last season)?

I understand Bale has only mustered 1 assist this year, which either means he has ignored this part of his game searching for glory or that his teammates have not converted chances he has provided, and there lies the true problem for Spurs, remove your top goalscorer and replace with others not as proficient in scoring or creating to play with others who are not firing in goals and suddenly the run in will become very tough.

That would not be an issue should Wilshere be removed from Arsrnals midfield, but he would leave a gaping hole in the spirit of the team.

Additionaly I’m afraid Spurs fans will also have to come to terms with the fact that they have had there one good season from Adebayor, it’s feet up safe in the knowledge the salary is secured for another 3 years now.

27. Darren says:

Oh, by the way, Norfolk Gooner, Wilshere isn’t Arsenal born & bred…if you saw his Football Focus i/v, you’d know that his family is, and his early inclinations were, West Ham…….lucky that he won’t need to ‘follow his heart’ to achieve things!!

28. 26may1989 says:

I don’t see Spurs as a one-man team: they have a really good spine of Lloris, Vertonghen, Dembele, Sandro (though injured isn’t he?), Lennon and Bale. Add to that the likes of Walker, Adebayor, Defoe, Kaboul and potentially (let’s see how it goes) Holtby, and they have something to work with. But beyond that, there isn’t much. Dempsey hasn’t been great, Huddlestone is still there, as is Dawson, and Friedel, Parker and Gallas will be slipping away now (well done Redknapp for signing OAPs…). There seem to be some good youngsters (Tom Carroll, who came on in the 5-2 defeat at the Home of Football, looked decent).

But overall, are they able to defend their four-point lead on us? It’ll be close but I’d put money on us to overhaul them.

29. may2689 says:

Of course Bale would be a greater loss. He is the finished article and one of the best players in the world, at times completely unplayable. Wilshere is an extremely promising midfielder who still has to develope before he takes games by the scruff of the neck on a regular basis. I’ve just noticed that there is another contributor with a very similar moniker! I’m delighted he sounds like a voice of reason!!

30. Law (@84law) says:

Spurs fan here. I voted Bale. Everything goes through him at the moment and Arsenal coped without Wilshere for long periods last season and made still made top 4.

31. Norfolk Gooner says:

Darren,

Thanks for that but we all grow up and leave childish things behind us, I bet you don’t still cuddle up to your teddy bear at night…or do you? :-)

32. 26may1989 says:

may2689: “very similar moniker”?! Too right, my lawyers have been instructed, you will be hearing from them…. :)

Great minds and all that!

Thanks for the article Rocky and congratulations in wording it in such a way as to avoid hostility from the blue side of north London.

The question asks who would be the greater loss to their team – not who is the better player. I think they are almost of equal importance but would probably plump for Bale as they have fewer striking options than we have potential replacements for JW.

I guess Bale would attract a higher price on the world market than Wilshere at this time. I expect Ronaldo will move to PSG in the summer and Bale will replace him at Real for a sizeable figure.

If you were to ask me which player would be more important in the Arsenal side I would say Wilshere as he provides the drive and midfield grit we have been lacking – so Wilshere would be more important to Arsenal than Bale would be were he in our squad, but that is a whole new question.

34. Darren says:

Norfolk Gooner let’s not be nasty about our less fortunate east end cousins now, hey? Frankly, we, the fans, have to accept that many players are fans too and whilst they may give all for the cause for the team they represent, it’s still a job, a career for them and I for one don’t expect ‘loyalty’ from any of them when a better opportunity comes a-calling…..and who can blame them. Lineker was/is a Leicester fan, Lee Dixon’s a Man City supporter, Merson a Chelsea man, Gazza a magpie, Michael Thomas grew up a Spurs fan, Jamie O’Harra a Gooner & so on……as long as they’re succesful in their current employment, they’re all Lampard badge-kissers….but wait until a bigger offer comes in or silverware beckons, and they’ll be off…just like Lampard was when the Hammers started to sink! Nope Bale will be off if Spurs struggle…I doubt Wilshere will be but the magic word there is ….’yet’. A lot can hinge upon the champions league spot & I fully expect you lot to overtake us as we don’t have the firepower but the question there is, would missing the Champions league spot hurt you more than us? I think it would……

Incidentally, if its purely stats you’re looking at, Walcott’s PL goals and assists (11 goals, 11 assists) added together are better than Bale’s – I believe he has only one assist.

36. Darren says:

Rasp – bang on the money in my view.

37. may2688 says:

26May1989 “great minds……”

Lol…

It was a great night. I was there by the way!!

38. Sometime this morning we had our 3 millionth hit !!!!!!! :D

39. Da goon 4 life says:

Ok Im a gooner but also a football fan, student of the game and an honest one!! Firstly there is no comparrison right now, Bale is operating at a level Wilshire is yet to hit. Ask anyone in the world who is overall more of an influential player and the Answer is clearly Bale!! If Bale got injured for tge rest of the season I think it would be the deciding factor between who goes in the champions league. However I disagree with the comments that Arsenal should be above Spurs and that we have a better team! We pip then to 3rd last year by a point so what majes us think we should be above them? In all honesty we are quality but after the sale of RVP we are weaker than ever before, forget Spurs we are falling so far from being that title challenging team its a joke, we could never win the champions league with this team, honestly ! Its become embarrising that we are even discussing who the better team out of spurs and arsenal is, and in all honesty there best 11 is better than ours! Sad times.

40. Norfolk Gooner says:

Darren,

I agree, there is very little loyalty in today’s football, at least as far as players, managers and owners are concerned. The sad thing is that despite the badge kissing and the declarations of “love” for “their” team expressed by all and sundry it is usually only the fans who remain loyal.

I know they have to make a living but I am frequently sickened by the globe trotting, money hungry mercenaries who populate football toady.

41. LazyGunner says:

Hi …Just a small correction to the comparision of fixtures.We have QPR away and the stoke games are done. Looking at the fixtures list we need 8 wins out of remaining 12 games to reach the 70 mark for top 4. 7 winnable fixtures are Astonvilla,Norwich,Reading,Wigan(Home) & WestBrom,Fulham,QPR(Away),,,,,,, Difficult fixtures are Manu,Everton(Home) and Totts,Swansea,Newcastle(Away)…………..Hope we win 2 difficult fixtures preferably against everton & spuds . then surely we have the 4th place in our locker.
    Any slip in the winnable fixtures will make it that much harder. But based on the recent displays hope is there……………COYG.

42. Norfolk Gooner says:

Right it’s stopped raining, time to get out into the real world, Back later.

43. Linkre says:

Spurs fan. Bale is definitely more important to Spurs than Wilshere is to Arsenal. However, all this talk about Arsenal being better balanced does tickle me slightly – if the squad has such superior balance, is the league table lying?

Spurs have Rose (remember him?) and Townsend both on loan to PL clubs, so not too shabby cover for Bale, and still have Dempsey or Holtby as options there, so I’m sorry to say it’s not like losing him would end our season. Defoe’s back soon, Adebayor’s back from Africa, goals will come from other players.

44. Billy says:

Bale would be the greater loss for the reason tou have stated. After Wilshere you have Arteta and Ramsey who can perform a similar role. If Bale gets injured we’d have to put one from Dempsey, Sigs or Holtby in his position, all of whom are completely different players.

Wilshere is the future of England (and Arsenal’s) midfield, both sides should be built around him if he can retain his fitness for lobg enough.

45. Steveh (COYS) says:

Two great players – Bale scores more goals so he would be the greater loss I think – but both are pleasure to watch. Wilshere best midfielder in the EPL IMHO.

46. HSpurs says:

I think Spurs lost their main link this year and that was Sandro. He allowed other midfielders like Bale, Lennon, Demsey and Dembele to drift forwards. Thankfully Parker is back from injury.
    Yes Bale is doing well but it’s only been in the last 2 months that he has hit top form again. Defoe was making the difference before. Lennon provides as many assists as well. Bale would be missed, who wouldn’t miss him, most teams setup with two players to stop him. As said earlier about Bale being the finished article, the boy is 23, 5 years younger than Ronaldo so he has a long way to go.
    Wiltshire, yes I’d have him in a Spurs shirt, a massive hothead though and he will have to watch that as more experienced players will wind him up. Talented, very and he will be a force for Arsenal. Not in the same category as Fabragas so I think you can survive without him. In3 years time, I think he will be up there.
    I think both teams can switch formations to cope with either loss. I also hope somehow both make CL football at the cost of Chelsea. Would have loved seeing that last year as would have meant Hazard, Oscar would have signed elsewhere and can imagine a load of the spoilt brats wanted to leave!
    Think Holtby will be a great buy for Spurs, also think Arteta is very undervalued for Arsenal. He was a great buy by Mr Water bottle.

Good to see Spurs fans prepared to have a sensible discussion – apart from Bobb who sadly doesn’t have the braincells to understand the point of the post.

Is Bale as important to Spurs as RvP was to us last season? I think so.

Is Wilshere? ….. definitely not.

So my vote went to the Simian

48. mallard says:

Bale definitely, Rocky.

49. ParkLane says:

Spurs have already lost their most important player till next season, which is Sandro, so it’s already tough. If Bale got injured then it’d a loss. Spurs would play Dempsey on the left and that means goals from him. 17 in 37 last season in his preferred position. Defoe and Bale both injured would be trouble. As for Wenger changing the system he would have to do it but it’d be much much weaker. He’s the only player Arsenal have we any fight.

50. goonerjake says:

For me Bale is essential for Tottenham Hotspur, without his contribution they would most probably be lower than The Arsenal in the league. The reason is not because I think Bale is a better player than Jack (I do not) but it is because we have more strength in depth in Jack’s position.

Also let me qualify the Jack being better than Bale. (they are very different players but I think Jack has a lot more to offer in all areas of the field – maybe not goal scoring at the minute but that will come)

51. EggWhite says:

I say chaps, this is jolly a pleasant and quite refreshing banter. I’m a Spud of many years standing and I for one don’t hate Arsenal. In fact the only people I hate are the people who sing, ‘stand up if you hate Arsenal/Tottenham etc’. As for the debate…. Bale every time! Oh crap, just remembered, I REALLY hate Chelsea…..!

52. Red Arse says:

Well said, EggWhite! :-)

53. Red Arse says:

Daffy @ 1:16 are you back, at last, or just teasing? :D

Good day everyone and thanks for the comments.

A special thanks to the Spurs fans who have entered the debate in the right spirit.

The Bale-Wilshere discussion, as I mentioned, started in response to Gn5’s excellent Post the other day and (on a quiet week for footy news) I thought it merited further examination.

Someone earlier said that I should have been comparing Walcott and Bale as both are wide players. That missed the point of the piece (which was not about comparing players’ like-for-like abilities, but their importance to their team), but it is also an interesting discussion in its own right.

In terms of goals and assists there’s not much to chose between Bale and Walcott – they both seem almost equally effective (Bale with more goals, Theo with more assists).

However my impression – and it is only that – is that Bale is a more significant player because he is more likely to score decisive goals: in other words, goals that win games or secure draws from losing positions.

I would need to check the stats for both players to see if my impression is true. If I get the time I’ll try and do it in the next week or so.

55. 26may1989 says:

@EggWhite: I bet I hate Chelsea more than you….. :)

56. Ryan says:

I agree that bale is more important to us than wilshire is to you gunners simply because he’s a better all round player. But spurs are in no way shape or form a one man team. Yes it would be a big blow to lose bale but it simply gives another young talent the chance to step into the spotlight for example townsend, holtby or sigurdsson (all of which have and can play as wingers). Bale is undoubtedly our biggest asset, but not by much. I would also argue that dembele would be a greater loss to us than wilshire to arsenal.

57. 26may1989 says:

Isn’t Townsend out on loan?

58. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

Afternoon all
    Great post by the way .
    It’s a no brainier to me it’s bale and I’m not saying that because hes welsh like myself.
    But spurs would miss him more than we would miss Jack both great future captains of their countries.
    Both of them are superstars in the making and I find it a disgrace
    When he gets called MONKEY BOY I’m on about Bale .

59. Fookes says:

I am a Spurs fan and would probably agree that Tottenham losing Bale would punish us more than if you were to lose Wilshere.

Don’t forget though that everyone thought that Arsenal losing RVP would cripple them and although it has damaged you somewhat it has not been fatal. Teams seem to recover from these blows better than the fans presume, so if one of our big guns was to go then someone would step up.

60. evonne says:

26may – your comment about Townsend is just brilliant! Ryan the Spud does not know that his ‘ever so important’ player is currently at QPR. Classic

Rocky – good question, no easy answer. Wilshere is important to us for different reasons than the one trick pony or monkey is to Spurs. Bale runs and scores, Jack is a great motivator and playmaker. Without he the team seems to slow down and struggles to find the rhythm. Also, Tottenham are ahead of us at the mo, I am not sure we would catch up with them without Jack; therefore my vote goes to JW

61. I’m happily surprised by mature,rational blogging today – it looks like I was wrong to think it could get ugly on here today.

Thanks to The Rock for the post and the civility of subsequent commenters.

Evonne – now behave ! :)

62. evonne says:

Fookes – I don’t think we thought that losing R$P would cripple us, not really. What pissed us off is his choice, that is un-for-bloody-giveable. But you are right, a team is more than any one player.

63. Fookes says:

evonne – I can see his choice being slightly frustrating for your lot. Especially after paying him for the 5 seasons he was injured and having one good season before moving on. I can actually see Bale going to United rather than Real so will be in the same boat soonish. I assume Wilshere will hang around a lot longer before jumping ship.

64. 26may1989 says:

Have just realised that Chelsea are playing in the Europa League tonight. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!

And I’m not going to spoil today’s atmosphere of North London solidarity by saying Spurs have anything to be emarrassed about, like Arsenal they haven’t spent zillions of oil dollars and still failed to stay in the CL. Anyway, there’s every chance we’ll be playing Europa League next season.

But Chelsea, they deserve to be laughed at by all and sundry!

65. Ryan says:

Evonne and 26 may – well done you’ve worked out that harry has townsend. Taking that into consideration, you should notice that our biggest risk of losing Bale will be to real madrid in the summer, by which time we will have townsend back as his loan only lasts until then. To think you genuinely thought you would have known about townsends loan and I wouldn’t makes me (do the benny) LoL

66. 26may1989 says:

It was a genuine question, Ryan, but if you want to enjoy yourself doing a benny at your computer, don’t let me stop you.

Fooke
    Very good point about the loss of RvP.
    There was a lot of concern about where the goals would come from this season, given his amazing scoring last year.

One year on, and we are actually scoring more goals than we did last season – and they are spread throughout a larger number of players (Cazorla, Giroud, Podolski, Walcott in particular).

Obviously that’s partly because of the new players we brought in, but it proves that teams adapt when their circumstances change.

Thanks to all the courteous spurs fans that have contributed to the debate today. I have just seen that some comments have gone into spam because they contain the ‘y’ word. The reason we do not allow this word on the site is nothing to do with spurs per se, but simply that it is unacceptable racist terminology.

Hi GM, I know you are reading but like me have not commented.

People are going to start putting two and two together and realise that the site is a civilised place without us ;)

70. alex cutter says:

I couldn’t be happier to see a discussion about Bale that never mentions monkeys. Way to keep it classy, guys.

LB
    I did have a picture of you in my imagination, biting your tongue and turning redder and redder as you read all the comments from our visitors :D

72. Gooner In Exile says:

I must admit the one thing I found interesting today was that the people who chose the wrong half of North London think Wilshere is a hot head likely to see a red card for retaliation or getting involved.

I think he has had two reds since playing for us, one a double yellow at OT this season (borne of tired legs) and one straight red for a lunge on Zigic in his first season.

He seems a player able to count to ten after every foul. in fact my guess Iis he has been trained to do so by Brady and does it whilst on the deck after the foul.

73. evonne says:

Adebarndoor is awful, missed a sitter again

BTW Brilliant picture in the post.

75. 26may1989 says:

Whoa, fantastic goal from the simian.

Is the BBC correct that he has scored Spurs last 5 goals?

BR
    Not a one man team at all, then :)

Very exciting these Thursday nights ;-)

79. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

I’m not allowed to watch spurs games we are watching CRIMEWATCH.
    much love

Sheep
    Same thing, isn’t it :)

81. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

Not sure never lived in London RL

Watching Spuds is a crime wherever you’re from Sheep :)

83. I think bale would be the bigger loss. nice to have so many pleasant Spurs fans on. my brother and my 2 nephews are at tonight’s game.

Remi Garde must be happy so far. Wonder if he has gone to the Emirates for a chat with AW about a return to the fold

85. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

Swansea on crime watch I’m ashamed

86. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

Two teams I won’t watch
    Man poo unless they got a chance of losing like lats night.
    And trotting Pham hot purrs

Guess it is just me then that is out of place.

88. Gooner In Exile says:

:D LB I admit to feeling confused today, normally we get at least one idiot to focus on :(

89. 26may1989 says:

Have just spotted that a Czech side, Viktoria Plzen, won 3-0 away to Napoli, who fielded a strong side, including Cavani. Very impressive.

90. Gooner In Exile says:

I was looking for Shittys result and then realised they didn’t even make the Europa…lots of ROLF

See y’all it’s been fun.

92. That’s very funny GiE ……… rolfing here too :lol:

We need a post for tomorrow, any insomniacs got a crumb of an idea to elaborate on for the morning ……..

93. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

Night

94. LB – I have to agree with you, it’s been the strangest days blogging – surely more of them than us which means that many of us kept away :(

Just over 71% have voted that Bale would be a greater loss than Jack and if you add to that the 30,000 odd at the lane tonight it’s pretty conclusive :P

It’s always good to challenge your perspectives on life :D

96. Sav from Australia says:

Nice article Rocky. I always end up reading the blog late, due to time difference. Also, good looking little app for the poll Bale vs Wilshere.

Cheers Sav
    How’s life?

98. Sav from Australia says:

Hi Rocky,
    All good down in Sydney. Working for a beer company for a few weeks, so free beer after work today :D
    How’s things in London?

I’m in Toronto these days Sav.

Beer company eh? Living the dream!

What time will the match be for you on Sat? Late at night I guess.

101. Sav from Australia says:

Lol yeah its been a thirsty job selling beer, but the perks are good.
    How’s Toronto, snow at the moment?

102. Sav from Australia says:

The match is on at 2am. I will probably go to bed, wake up and watch the match, and either go back happily to sleep or have to drown my sorrows.
    What time is the match on there?

10am Sav – it’s good because I don’t have to wait all day thinking about it!

Had big snow a week ago – still plenty lying around.

Night mate

Need a post for today ……… just a couple of paragraphs to start the chat off ……….. someone??????

105. evonne says:

OMG, that is truly bad

106. evonne says:

Rasp – I will draft a couple of paras to open a discussion if you like

Thanks evonne, that would be great :P

Mine is in drafts :)

and it’s in English

110. evonne says:

oi, you hairy beast!!
    Rasp – ok, do a Kelsey please and I will improve mine with a spell checker

Thanks folks, I have to go walk the dog – will check back in half an hour

112. Norfolk Gooner says:

Good morning to you all,

I guess last night’s match settled the debate on who is more important to their team, Wilshire or Bale. Can there now be any doubt that it is Bale….so long as Spuds continue to get free kicks on the edge of the box hat is. He did little else of note other than to miss a couple of sitters, at least he didn’t try his usual trick of diving.

Morning all …..

…. New post …….

kelsey, sorry we didn’t use your post – evonne got there first, but we still need stuff so get writing :lol:

age before beauty Rasp ;)

115. Dgob says:

Rocky,

I’d say that they are both great players but that we (AFC) have more talented attacking options than they do and so could better cope with Jack’s absence.

Another great piece by the way.

Thanks