We All Love Nachos

So the mayhem is over and we bagged a player. That is one more than many thought we would get, but probably 10 too few for some fans on other websites. I can already hear those keyboard warriors punching in We__er O_t quicker than your David Beckham designer boxer shorts would disappear on a Come Dine With Me evening at Evonne’s.

To be fair Arsene had already expressed his distaste for wholesale buys in this window and had suggested 2 should be the limit, so he was hardly going to make himself look hypocritical and get more than this.

Nacho1

So who did we get. Step forward one Ignacio Monreal Eraso or soon to be better known to us as Nacho Monreal. I don’t know much about him but the early reports sound promising. I am sure in the ensuing AA discussion we will be able to collectively get snippets of information that will give us a better idea of what we have acquired. Peaches has already identified a song for him and I am sure if you all ask nicely the next time you see her she will give you her personal rendition of it.

There has been a consistent theme amongst us all on which areas of the squad we needed strengthening in, and this was one of those key areas. What it means to me is that our left flank will now be very strong with good strength in depth. With the addition of Nacho we have even, in a roundabout way, accrued a new attacking left winger who goes by the name of Andre Santos.

So both flanks look strong now to me, but what about the spine of the team. Up top David Villa was mentioned. Did we need another striker? I am not sure as we seem to be gelling and maturing in this department recently. Attacking central midfield I feel we are well covered in, possibly boasting the strongest in the EPL in this department. I had thought about an experienced keeper as back up / competition to Szczeny. We didn’t get one and I don’t feel the need to throw my toys out of the pram on this one, and am happy to see how it pans out this season. Ditto with the CD’s. I have mentioned the possible requirement of a beast of a CD in the Sol Campbell mould, but am happy again to defer judgement till the seasons end.

The one area I would like to examine a little more is the defensive midfield role. Many of us, if not most of us, and I would include myself in this, have called for a powerhouse of a defensive midfielder. A beast of a man, (I do like my beasts), a midfield “destroyer”. So I thought I would look at what we have already got and what it is that we really all want for this role. What is it we are crying out for?

You could form the impression that we are all looking for something akin to a Marvel Comic Book superhero, with superhuman strength and unusual powers, and I must admit I sometimes enter that frame of mind. However, I do try and step back and ask myself what is it I want and why? I would say that in our 3 man midfield you could set up in one of 2 key ways. The first would be with 2 deeper lying defensive midfielders who can work together to provide a defensive screen. This would leave one predominantly attacking midfielder with a more free role. The second is when you want to have 2 attacking or advanced midfielders with one lone defensive midfielder sitting behind them. That obviously places a higher degree of responsibility on the lone defensive midfielder than you have with 2 deeper lying midfielders working together.

Lets look at the current main candidates who for me would be :-

Diaby, Ramsey, Arteta, Coquelin, Frimpong.

Frimpong has gone on loan so I will not dwell on him and we can assess if he can still offer us something at the end of the season.

My opinion of Diaby, Ramsey and Arteta is that they are suited to playing in the 2 man defensive midfield system but don’t quite have the necessary strengths to play the lone defensive midfield role, especially against better opposition. Just my opinion and I would love to hear from other AA’ers on this.

The player that I feel could offer us the best option in the lone defensive midfield role is Coquelin. Not big enough or powerful enough I hear some saying. The question for me would be, is size and power the most important attribute for this role? Does this player have to resemble Frank Bruno on anabolic steroids? They obviously have to not be afraid to tackle, and be willing to get stuck in. If we all go back some 10 years, how many of us would have claimed Claude Makelele as being the best defensive midfielder in the world at that time, as many of his fellow pros seemed to think. That is all 5 foot 7 inches of him, according to Wikipedia.

I have often thought what is the most important natural physical attribute for this role, and I keep coming back to pace. The ability to cover ground quickly at a moments notice, “nippiness” if you like. I feel that the defensive midfielder plays a role that is more reactionary, in other words they respond to situations as they unfold.

Makelele, as well as reading the game well seemed to be able to quickly get from one point to the next to intercept danger or put in a tackle before the opposition could get the attacking move going. Diaby, Ramsey and Arteta, for me, all share the one characteristic of a lack of pace, that would allow them to play that lone defensive role.

You only have to be ½ second slower from point A to point B and then you don’t intercept or don’t have the chance to get the tackle in and break up play.

Coquelin

Coquelin in my opinion has that surge of pace that the other three don’t. His recent games, until injury, have seen many of us give him some high praise. So my question is, injury permitting, do we already have that excellent defensive midfielder, the one we are all crying out for, sitting there right under our noses?

Written by GoonerB

203 Responses to We All Love Nachos

GoonerB won’t be around until later on today to discuss comments.

I’ve found a video compilation of Nacho in his last game for Malaga.

2. Manthan says:

GB,
    Even i agree with le coq he is good and hard worker too…

3. Manthan says:

When santos came to Arsenal… Statements by AW was he has good domestic and International Experience but hardly he had played some 10+ game for brazil then how you can say he has very good internatiol exp… now same statment is been repeated for Monreal even he has very less spain cap… then even MANU can tell we had bought ZAHA who has very good domestic and international Experience(1 Game) but i have belif that monreal will be worth….

4. Norfolk Gooner says:

Good morning to you all,

Well nobody saw that one coming. All the pundits and know-nothing journos missed it completely. Proof positive that Arsene and Arsenal do not do their business in public.

5. Ross Taylor says:

I really hope we can get the chant Nacho Nacho Man going round the ground!

6. Danny says:

Gibbs get injured and Wenger runs out and makes a “panic” buy from a team that’s also in the next round of the Champions League -so what does that tell you about this defender – not good enough for them but is for us?

7. Norfolk Gooner says:

Danny, try to be a little more positive, it will make you a much happier person. How can you write a player off before he’s even set foot on the Emirates pitch?

Malaga are in financial trouble, they needed to sell, I think Wenger has got himself a bargain.

8. Danny says:

If we’d bought him on the 1st January that would’ve shown “intent”.
    I’ve not written him off – I’ve never heard of him just like I hadn’t heard of Santos, Park……

9. El Tel says:

Looks ok but notmone dribble in any of those clips. My guess id Giroud will benefit most from this signing.

10. El Tel says:

Not trying to put a negative to the Nacho signing as He assisted and scored in your clip. BUT, he looks a bit fragile to me. Not the Nutty type defender we may e really need but more a Gareth Bale type player. Better going forward.

Of course one 4 minute clip doesn’t a season make, I just hope he has the strength needed for our physical league.

One question Guys. Would you put him in against Stoke?

11. Norfolk Gooner says:

Here you are Danny, from Arsenal.com.

Manager Arsène Wenger said: “We are delighted that Nacho Monreal has agreed to join us. We have been monitoring him for some time now and are really pleased that we’ve been able to agree this move today. Monreal is a strong left-sided defender with good experience at both club and international level. He is a technically gifted player, a good crosser in the final third and strong in the air. Monreal will add quality to our squad and of course, to our defensive unit. We all look forward to him playing for us.”

Panic buy? not really!

12. Manthan says:

Stoke don’t have quality wingers they play long ball i will put him for stoke to gain confidence….

13. Manthan says:

NG,
    he is not a good dribbler but he is very good at crossing and heading the ball… I can say this because i saw little more clip of his in tube…. He is very good in defending then attacking that is actually good now podolski need not have worry more about defending he can attack and Giorud will get more perfect cross so its win win situation for us……

14. vp says:

Is this a panic buy? Gibbs’s gets injured and within 12 hours we sign cover…. Or has Wenger been looking at this guy for some time knowing that Santos just ain’t good enough? I would imagine that he’s going to be thrown into the first team straight away and that’s a big ask. I hear he’s a good crosser, an area we could improve on. Don’t know much else apart from that, but at least we won’t have to watch Santos start against Robben when we play Bayern. Would have loved it if we had bought Baines though. All in all can’t really complain, he’s bound to better then Santos.

15. Norfolk Gooner says:

VP,

Yes we will if Gibbs isn’t fit, Nachos is cup tied.

16. Manthan says:

vp,
    Monreal is not availble for CL as he already played for malaga.

17. Morning all, thanks for another fine kick off to the days blogging GoonerB.
    Wenger has now said that Gibbs is out for 4-6 weeks now and that Nacho could feature against the Orcs tomorrow, Arteta is probably available but Vermaelen is unlikely to feature.

He also teasingly said that we were close to getting one more player in – of course he won’t say who.

And to answer the title, I like mine with extra jalapenos and onion.

18. Manthan says:

Chary,
    True wenger always do business in private he will never reveal the players whom he gonna buy…

19. Manthan says:

Wenger on Beckham: ‘It just shows how effective our training is! He trained here once and is bought by PSG!’

why isn’t anyone taking santos and squillaci then :D :D :D

20. Yes Manthan, otherwise it destabilises the club/player’s position within his present club. The right way to do things. If you don’t keep quiet you get daft stuff like the Odemwingie tomfoolery of yesterday.

21. vp says:

Norfolk Gooner

Oh no….your right he’s cup tied. Hope Vermalen gets played at LB then. If we start with Santos, we might as well not turn up. Maybe we could try coquelin at LB; anyone but Santos.

22. SPECTRUM says:

Before too many of you wet your pants over our ONE new signing, please think. We needed in my opinion, ( and most everyone else ) at least FOUR new players, as a minimum. This signing does not even satisfy that basic requirement.Nacho apparently was going to be one of our targets in the summer, but due to Gibbs’ injury we brought it forward ( out of necessity ). Otherwise Wenger would have ( predictably ) gambled with the squad once again.

Does anyone REALLY THINK that we would have signed Nacho if Gibbs had not done his thigh against Liverpool ? No, which makes it even worse. In effect, all we have done is to simply replace ( the now likely outgoing ) Santos with another left back. Sure, Nacho is better, but OVERALL, number wise, the squad is exactly THE SAME as before. So how have we strengthened and improved the team ? We haven’t. We all know and have been saying that the squad does not have enough depth, and Wenger must know this too. But he has effectively done NOTHING about it. Again.

With all the huffing and puffing, rumours and conflicting statements from Wenger, it turns out to be yet another anti-climax. Our net squad gain is…..zero. Farcical outcome, underlining the complete lack of direction and ambition of this administration.

23. Manthan says:

If harry can pay Samba 100k per week atleast he can pay squallci half of dat please harry take squallaci he is all yours :D :P

24. Manthan says:

here comes the SPeccccccccccctttttttttttuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrmmmmmm with his negatives comment………..

25. Dgob says:

First of all,

A great write up with well balanced considerations and true gooner perspective. Many thanks for a refreshing read.

On the defensive midfielder and striker that has been mooted, I think it’s a very difficult call. I myself have lent on AW’s suggestion about two additions to hope for Fellaini and Villa to occupy those roles. HOWEVER, your question about Le Coq raises some very interesting issues.

My call came when we were playing in a wholly disjointed way and suffering as a result. At that point, only Theo seemed able to score regularly (and he was potentially on his way out the club) and our midfield seemed to depend wholly on Arteta (injuries and issues impacting here). Yet, we constantly showed enough flashes of team brilliance and resilience to make me wonder if it was just a case of us having yet another new squad in which key players were not familiar enough with each other or our system to be effective. I now believe this to be the case and (although I would still welcome those two world class signings) am increasingly happy with the squad we have.

This makes more sense of the optimism the AW has shown even in the face of near unprecedented hostility. It now seems that the Theo/Olivier partnership is going to explode into something very special. Our midfield is beginning to operate as an exceptional unit and our defence (well, OK), they need time and a little more confidence. Again, when you look at the sum of the parts they far outweigh the performances of the current whole.

Given time, yes I believe our solutions (or at least the most important ones) are right beneath our noses. Next year (assuming we can keep this group together and add one or two) promises to be very, very special indeed.

26. SPECTRUM says:

One A.K.B., in attempting to defend our lack of signings, asked “What about Nuri Sahin ? You all wanted us to sign him, too. Where is he now ” ?

Where ? On an 18 month loan at Borussia Dortmund. Obviously their manager has a contingency plan in case of injuries, and he decided that Sahin would add depth to their ( already strong ) squad. Coincidentally Dortmund are managed by Jurgen Klopp, who is talked of as being a future Arsenal manager. How ironic, eh ?

Who do think has the most foresight and organisation ?

27. RedMJ says:

Spectrum. It must be very miserbale to be constantly staring down to the bottom of that half empty glass of yours. If you for one second tried to take a look from a positive perspective you might actually enjoy being an Arsenal fan again.
    All is of course not perfect in the Arse world but it is far from the armegeddon scenario you seem to revel in and frankly propegate too.

28. Dgob says:

Danny @ 10:07 am,

“I’ve never heard of him just like I hadn’t heard of Santos, Park……”

… or, Henry, Vieira, Petit, Edu, Gilberto, Lumberg, Cazorla etc, etrc, etc.

29. SPECTRUM says:

Manthan – You were making some good comments there, then you had to say “here’s spectrum with his “negative” comments”. Disappointing.

30. Manthan says:

Spec,
    Sorry mate I was kidding in the comment and we cannot write the experssion :P :P

31. Norfolk Gooner says:

One thing you didn’t disappoint us with Spectrum…your negative comments.

Norfolk, calm down.
    They are not his thoughts, they are the thoughts of a guy called Gambon. He doesn’t have an original thought of his own.

33. SPECTRUM says:

RedMJ – That’s the difference with me and you. You can convince yourself that our problems are merely a minor inconvenience that will pass. Whereas realists see things as they ARE, not how they’d like, or want them to be. Every day the club and A.W. demonstrate to the fans in one way or another their lies and duplicity, and yet you keep making endless excuses for them, and even shape your thinking and reactions to conform with what Wenger states as being the truth. A.K.B.’s perform more twists and turns than a contortionist with diarrohea. It’s quite amusing to observe, actually.

GunnerB,
    Blimey, you’re at it again. Superb.
    As you know I’m firmly in the camp that we desperately needed a defensive midfielder and most importantly a Leader and a Warrior, so I am disappointed.
    However, I do agree that Coquelin is the nearest thing we have and I see no reason why in the near future he wont be a seriously good player.

35. SPECTRUM says:

Manthan – Just tongue in cheek then, was it ? Okay mate, all is forgiven. I’m on your wavelength now.

So far we’ve had the words “ambition” and “realists”. “Embarrassing” is coming, and yip, all words used by his mentor.

37. SPECTRUM says:

MickyDidIt89 – Not true. However, as you mentioned him, I’d be pleased to quote some of his “negative” comments too, if you like. Unfortunately the words “negative” and “reality” are so easily confused on here. So for many the distinction is hard to make.

38. vp says:

Reports suggest that we made a last ditch bid for Jovetic for £16mill. Florentina were willing to accept £20mill for the player. The board we’re prepared to sanction the move but the move fell through as Wenger was not prepared to pay the extra £4mill.

Sorry, I don’t believe you. There we go, and quite how you can say that there are not regulars on this site that don’t question what’s going on is frankly, amazing.

Please can we not go down this road again.

Specs has the right to express his opinion

Sadly, his use of AKB and his habit of demeaning whomever he converses with dilutes his message and is often found offensive by some on the blog. Nonetheless, the blog works better if we just stick to talking football

I do not believe AW tried to buy Jovetic.

41. goonerjake says:

With my glass half empty head on im really disappointed that we did not sign Villa, Jovetic or another striker and a big centre back ala Samba. And i was annoyed that the only signing we made was seemingly forced upon us by Gibbos injury.

However….. Come on the Arsenal, looks like a great great signing too me, and HEY Giroud is playing fantastic…. if Nacho plays really well you then have the option of playing gibbo when fit left and having poldi ans giroud playing as front two with Walcott playing down the right, 4-4-2 option anyone?

I may have my rose tinted spectrums on (see what i did their pal, only joking, hope your well)

Seriously though if we can get the defence sorted out, and by that i mean the stupid mistakes then the goals weve been scoring at t’other end will do us fine.

42. Manthan says:

Gonnerjake,
    Do you think we need one more striker?????????? I dont think we do we are good in attacking defence is problem…….

43. SPECTRUM says:

Statement from the Arsenal Supporters Trust
    —————
    ” The January transfer window is an opportunity for teams to strengthen for the future and provide a boost to the squad for the season run-in.

Once again, despite poor league form by our own high standards, we see extremely limited activity by Arsenal, who have decided that there is just one player, at a price deemed acceptable, capable of strengthening the first team squad.

We can only assume this is purely a footballing decision taken by the manager, and that across the squad he feels there were no other options better than the ‘two per position’ he maintains are both important and available to him.

The fact that there is money available for squad strengthening is not disputed. The AST’s independent analysis suggests that the amount is somewhere between £50m-£70m. Ivan Gazidis confirmed recently that considerable funds were available to the manager.

Failure to qualify for the Champions League will cost the club in the region of £30m to £40m in lost revenue in the 2013-14 season, but this will be compensated for by increased TV and commercial monies that are due as well as income from the sale of the Queensland Road site. On this basis the financial ‘hit’ is manageable and the AST does not believe there is any case for the present financial austerity.

The AST believes that there remain important questions about the way player identification, recruitment and remuneration processes are managed at Arsenal. They seem to be a long way from what would be expected and we intend to raise these issues again with the club.

Arsenal supporters pay some of the highest ticket prices in world football, providing the club with considerable financial resources but the ambition and ability to use them appear to be missing.

Continued missed opportunities to strengthen are detrimental to the club and are causing long term damage to the squad’s competitiveness, evidenced by the ever-increasing points gap between Arsenal and the top of the table.

The AST hopes that Arsenal’s distant owner and its Board are looking at this situation as critically as its supporters.”

44. RedMJ says:

Spectrum, I truly hope that this is not the only difference between you and I. I don’t try and convince myself of anything. I simply enjoy watching my great team in a great stadium at a club with sound principals. I don’t have a right to win trophies all I ask is to be entertained and despite only drawing on Wednesday, no-one can deny that it wasn’t great entertainment.
    Unless you have a direct connection on the inside of the club, you, like the rest of us have absolutely no idea what is actually happening or being discussed internally yet you continue to spout your negative rhetoric and insults against the club, the manager and the players, probably based on what you hear or read in the media (you really should stop listening to Durham). Nor do I seek to make excuses for them as you suggest. I choose to put my trust in professional people who I feel have the best interest of the club at heart. AW has consistently demonstrated this. Partly because I have no choice and prefer to be positive but largely because they know a hell of a lot more about the football business and the game than I do.
    Also, if SK chooses to walk away having made a lot of money out of Arsenal, why the hell shouldn’t he. He put his money out there and then chooses to let other people run it for him. I like that he stays quiet and doesn’t seek the media limelight.
    There are no twists and turns in this. It’s always been my view and negativity from you and others like you actually make me more resolute to be be more positive and supportive of my team and club. That doesn’t mean I don’t get hacked off or have a rant when they lose or don’t perform well but its a long term relationship I am in with the club and I choose positivity over negativity. Its much more fun that way.

45. Manthan says:

Wenger on new singings:-
    Our scouts have followed his progress for a while and of course we had a blow with the Gibbs injury, which is a bit longer than expected,” the manager said.

“We expected [him to be out for] two to three weeks, but it will be four to six, so we were in a position where we had to make a quick decision. That explains our buy.

“We bought Monreal as a left back but he can play as well as a left-sided midfielder. We bought him as well because we believe he can integrate into our style of play and adapt very quickly to that.

“He has the characteristics to play our game because he is very mobile, has a good left foot and is very good in combination play. That is vital in our style of play.

“He is available for the Stoke game. I have not made a decision yet.”

46. Shard says:

Welcome Nacho.

So, we get a left back. Does that mean Santos is on his way out? The Turkish window shuts today apparently. I doubt it though. I always felt that Gibbs was out for longer, if we are buying to cover for him. It seems very untypical that we would sign a replacement for 3 weeks. And with Nacho being cup tied in the CL, I think Santos will stay at the club. Also, maybe we can play Santos on the wing at times, meaning Podolski can be another option through the middle.

As regards the DM debate, I think if we wanted to play with a traditional DM, we’d have bought one long ago. I think Coquelin is a good player with good attributes, who still has some developing to do. And if Frimpong can get some game time and learn some discipline, we’ll also have someone with some real strength and the ‘beast’ factor. Add in the players already mentioned in the article, along with some players like Yennaris, Eisfeld, Aneke, and behind them Toral and Olsson among the young midfielders in the club’s ranks (and the necessity to accommodate them in the 25man squad as they become 21 in a few years) means that we won’t be buying a DM. We might however, buy a CB who can also play DM (or the other way round).

I can see where Wenger is coming from when he says our squad is quite complete. I think what we lack most for next year will be an experienced keeper, and perhaps a mobile striker. If Theo or Poldi are to be that striker then a quality winger.

Afobe has been recalled from his loan and I suspect he’ll get some games now. Perhaps against Blackburn in the FA Cup. Add in Joel Campbell, and the likes of Ryo, Gnabry, and Akpom, highly thought of youngsters all, then there is cause for optimism. I still think an attacking player (Striker/winger) is required and it seems we wanted David Villa, but the team seems to be shaping up quite nicely. Now if we can just get 4th this year, and if it’s not too much, then win the FA Cup, CL would be better :)

47. Manthan says:

Shard,
    Your comments are always to the point and perfect why don’t you write some match reports or articles for AA… Wat say guys??????

Fair point Raddy, my bad. Promise to behave :-(

49. Manthan says:

Shard,
    Wenger thinks the way you describe in the comments… We had approched verentghon and he was ready but problem was he wanted to play as CB and wenger wanted him to play in DM so he went to spursss…… He quoted dis in november i guess..

RedMJ. 11.49. Superb.

51. Shard says:

Manthan,

It has recently been brought to my attention that my name exhibits certain beetle-like characteristics. What that means is that I lack the backbone required to write a match report for this site :)

Shard,
    “Now if we can just get 4th this year, and if it’s not too much, then win the FA Cup, CL would be better ”
    Its all “if,if, if” with you Doomers. Have a word with Transplant, its “when, when and when we get 4th, win the FAC AND the CL this season. :-)

GoonerB. Thank you for the post.

I like Coquelin but have a feeling he will leave in summer unless he gets an assurance of more appearances – which I doubt he will receive.

Who knows what is in AW’s mind regarding the DM position, but I am sure he must be very concerned about our defence.

What has happened to Sagna’s ability to beat a man and cross? He nearly always hits the first defender. Santos’s problems are well documented and we saw on Weds a player severely lacking in confidence.

The CB’s also look lost. All highly experienced yet allowing massive gaps to develop in the area from crosses. Can this be our zonal marking? We expected more from Steve Bould.

Actually Shard, according to a popular and sensationalist Daily Newspaper over here, you are a tall building where exhibitionist couples “romp” in the Penthouse Suite in the full glare of other inhabitants of the Metropolis.

55. Shard says:

Micky,

Unfortunately the closest I’ve come to a romp in a penthouse has been through the magazine.. Maybe that’s what makes me a doomer :D

Shard,
    Lucky you even knowing what a “Romp” is :-)

Is it a fish?

58. Shard says:

micky,

I don’t know how it works for you, but luck has nothing to do with it. That would make me a chav in the CL :)

59. Manthan says:

We will finish in top4 we can have bet on dat ;-)
    We are showing great teamwork now…..

60. SPECTRUM says:

MickyDidIt89 – You mentioned him, so I’m happy to oblige…..from Gambon…….

( quote ) ” We are a disgrace in the transfer market.

We don’t ever go out and pro actively improve our team. Never.

We either react to injury, or we look for cheap bargains.

It’s a complete f*****g joke.

Monreal – Only signed due to Gibbs injury.
    Cazorla – Because he was stupidly cheap.
    Poldi & Giroud – because RVP told Wenger he was off.
    Santos – Panic.
    Mertesacker – Panic.
    Arteta – Wilshere injury.
    Park – Panic.
    Gervinho – Nasri made it clear he was leaving.

Is there any wonder we are in terminal decline when we don’t ever go out with the intention of improving the team ” ? ( end quote )

None of the above is true of course, just him being “negative”.

61. Manthan says:

Specturm,
    Meaning of supporters is to support i doubt you are an arsenal supporter.. Never heard any positive stuff from you about arsenal…….

62. goonerjake says:

Manthan,

The only reason why i thought we need a new striker was the bench during the liverpool game. The front three we had was Poldi, Giroo and Walcott, now where was the striking option on the bench? I dont count the ox he is more of a winger/midfielder. Trust me im not being negative but even with gerv back i still think we could of done with one more out and out stiker.

But you are right at the minute the strikers we have are great.

But hey…… maybe i just have been caught up in the transfer window merry go round.

Cheers buddy.

63. Norfolk Gooner says:

Terminal decline! Just a little over the top there don’t you think?

64. Manthan says:

goonerjake,
    I agree with you but AW have solutions for that play poldi in middle and ox in flank problem solved ;-) :-)… If we will bring one more striker OG wont get game and he will another Chamkah which i dont want

65. SPECTRUM says:

MickyDidIt89 – ” its “when, when and when we get 4th, win the FAC AND the CL this season “.

I so admire your er, “positivity”. Of course to achieve this end, one must have a realistic and solid plan to obtain it. So what is YOUR plan for doing this, I wonder ? Don’t tell me – you know nothing about football ( compared to Wenger ), and so will place your complete and utter faith in him, and HIM ALONE. Right ? How did I guess ? See what I mean about “reality” ?

Hi Spectrum,
    Couple of problems for me with the Gambon view. I’m pretty sure he harped on about the ambition shown by Liverpool in signing Joe Cole (about the time I signed off from that site). My money says he would have called the signing of Carroll demonstrating ambition, and most likely Sahin ditto.
    As for that list, some really excellent signings in that lot, surely.

Spectrum,
    Oh dear. First up, I genuinely think I know more than anybody about football, and am nearly always right.
    Second, you really don’t read other people’s comments, do you?
    I said that “when, when, when” was the view of a blogger called Transplant, not me at all.

68. Red Arse says:

No! Don’t tell Shard that Micky — I’ve got him on the run, (beetling off) or under the boot – or whatever!! :D

Anyway, he has other duties elsewhere keeping order among other rabble.

He is good natured but he can give dissidents some stick when he is in the mood, and with no regard to Hari Krishna either!! :-)

Afternoon RA, and how are we today?

70. Red Arse says:

Micky, please don’t be provoked into biting!

Remember — care in the community and all that! :-)

71. Red Arse says:

I am fine Micky, thank you, and I trust you are too! (Hope we are not being too positively civilized!) :D

72. Bryan says:

GoonerB
    I think that is a very good post.
    Firstly welcome Nacho to the Arsenal as we were crying out for a LB & I see this guy as our number 1 LB now.
    Secondly agree with you whole heartedly that Le Coq is the man that should be our DM, miles ahead of Ramsey in that role.
    Ideally I would of prefeerd us to of gone out & signed a big bar steward of a guy because we seem to have so many little guys in our team & I will want us to make that our priority when the season finishes. But as we didn’t, I think it would make sense to start playing Le Coq there regurlary so he can build up experience & grow into the role, sadly though I think we are more likely to puesue with Ramsey, which I just don’t get.

Its ok RA, I have had my jabs.
    I’m resistant to all biting creatures :-)

74. SPECTRUM says:

Manthan – An analogy ; A man is stuck in quicksand up to his waist, and sinking slowly but surely, with no sign of anyone around to pull him out of it. Let me ask you, what would your feelings be at that moment ?

Well perhaps you’d think : “nothing I can do about it.”, pull a book out of your haversack, and read it to fill in the time. All the while refusing to believe things are as bad as they ( evidently ) are.

Me ? I’d shout and scream and fight like hell, in the hope that I’d attract someone’s attention, and thereby avoid the inevitable. But one thing I certainly wouldn’t be in that situation – and that’s positive. Because it would be delusional to feel otherwise.

See the contrast ? Your “positiveness” results in stagnation and inertia, with no hope. My “negativity” COULD just lead to salvation and a brighter future where none existed before.One requires we do nothing. The other requires action for anything to change.

Once again I am asking you …..

Let Specs have his say.

He has an unfortunate way about him but is as much a Gooner as any of us.

Some people just prefer to see the Arsenal in a negative light, it is how they express their support and requests for a team improvement.

Same goes for Gambon – he is a massive Gooner but one who believes the club is headed in the wrong direction.

This site was set up to be a forum where like-minded positive Gooners could express themselves without feeling pressurised by keyboard warriors. It remains so, but if we cannot find space for an alternative view it would be sad, wouldn’t it?

Spectrum,
    Fighting and screaming when stuck in quicksand is exactly the wrong thing to do in that situation.
    Remain calm and try and get yourself horizontal is the correct approach.
    Try it!

Off out…. play nice.

78. Red Arse says:

RedMJ,

re your 11:49. Well said, and I totally agree. :-)

Your problem tho’ is that you are too nice, too loyal to the club, too balanced and far too intelligent, as you seem to want to use your own god given faculties, rather than rely on the second hand, asinine views of others!

I am afraid that you stand accused – and have been found guilty — of being a normal, decent supporter! Tsk, Tsk. :P

79. Red Arse says:

Manathan, I would hold him under!

80. smarsh says:

Well as for me our defense is the one I’m still afraid is letting the team down. Yes the defensive mid needs to cover our back four. But there is need for right moves to be taken by our back four when being attacked by the opponents. For me Wenger needs to revise on putting Jeknison rather than now costing sagna. He has nt improved since coming back from his injury. At the centre I think varmelen n matesacker are ok to build on. Yes koscienly is good but he lacks maturity, look at the man city game. There was no need to sacrifice himself but he did and left the team to play 90 mins short. To the left back gibbs is fine n we will see the impact of the new addition too. Is he eligible to play in the EUFA competition since he was a Malaga player also??? If nt then I’m still hurt that Santos will cost again if played because Bayern is month offensive from the wings.

Raddy,
    Is it me?
    I like talking to him. Really.
    I’ll stop if you think that’s best.

82. SPECTRUM says:

MickyDidIt89 – Fair enough, a case of identity confusion there. But what is YOUR view then ?

83. SPECTRUM says:

Big Raddy – Thanks for the even handedness. At least you understand better than some on here.

84. RedMJ says:

Spectrum, dont mistake BR’s even handedness with support or understanding for your argument. He’s pretty damn good at speaking for himself. And when you find yourself in that quicksand and start to scream and shout don’t be surprised if all the people you alienated with your negative approach to life walk past.

85. goonerjake says:

Manthan,

Point well made, I think I see your point of view, too many strikers could cause a chamakh situation.

Spectrum,

Come on pal, your losing us all your fellow gooners, please don’t distance yourself from us, he is your chance. “We love you arsenal, we do, we love you arsenal, we do,we love you arsenal ….wee do, oh (your line)“

Spectrum,
    My view is that I think it may prove a massive mistake not signing a DM or a CB, but most importantly someone with real leadership qualities.
    I am also one who thinks missing out on CL football will be very costly with a huge drop off in Corporate.
    Ultimately though, its a nine hour round trip so I only make six or seven games a season, and always look forward to the event, meeting up with mates and the belief that on the day, we’ll always win :-)
    Just love it.
    I did stand about on the North Bank in the 80’s never winning anything, but still loved it.
    We are miles from perfect, but I don’t let these things get me down or angry.
    Have to go in a second, as a train to catch.

Nacho Monreal is no panic purchase for Arsenal

When English fans look on in awe at Spanish academies, they normally imagine the likes of Barcelona and Athletic Bilbao and even Real Oviedo, which had a large slice in the development of Juan Mata, Santi Cazorla and Michu. Osasuna’s youth system is not deemed fashionable, but the second full back in six months has arrived from Pamplona at one of England’s big guns.

Monreal will give Arsenal some much-needed help at left back and should easily adjust to the league’s physical play.

Left-back Ignacio “Nacho” Monreal Eraso – who left Osasuna in the summer of 2011 for 6 million euros for Malaga — will be joining his former teammate Cesar Azpilicueta in London, though the two players won’t be playing across the pitch from each other as they did three years ago. They will be playing on opposite sides of the city. Azpilicueta has nailed down a regular spot at Chelsea and his close friend will be looking to emulate him at rival Arsenal.

With the injury to Kieran Gibbs against Liverpool on Wednesday and Arsene Wenger’s reluctance to use an increasingly shaky Andre Santos, a new left-sided defender quickly become the priority in the past 24 hours. But this isn’t a panic purchase, despite the need for speed this week. There was a deal in principle for Monreal to arrive at the Emirates this summer, and he has already been taking English lessons in anticipation of the move. Gibbs’ injury simply pushed things along.

The 26-year-old Monreal will fit seamlessly at Arsenal. He has an elegant blend of being a tough tackler and a technically gifted player on the ball. His positioning is excellent, while his decision-making has placed him firmly on the radar of Spain’s “big two” for a number of years.

Good in the air, difficult to knock off the ball, with an eye for a killer ball – that sums up Monreal. If the bigwigs at the FA could conduct an experiment to blend the skillful brilliance of the world champions with a sturdy, typical Englishman, they would arrive at something resembling Nacho Monreal. His initiation at his hometown club has helped assist this; Sevilla manager Unai Emery once described Osasuna as “the closest thing to Stoke City in Spain” (before a Europa League match at the Britannia Stadium when Emery was in charge of Valencia).

Moving to Malaga, Monreal helped the team achieve their first ever Champions League qualification, featuring in two of their group matches this season. Recently appearing in the 3-2 victory over troubled Real Madrid, Monreal ’s last game for the Andalusians was perhaps his finest. The win against Real Mallorca by the same score line saw him score his first goal for the club, along with crossing for Chelsea transfer target Isco to net beforehand.

The defender has nine caps for La Seleccion, which is no mean feat. He is regarded as the alternative to Barcelona’s Jordi Alba. Given time to adapt, which shouldn’t be long, Monreal will comfortably make the left-back role his at Arsenal. He will give them defensive stability and offer an intelligent out-ball further up the field, and jokes about Santos will be firmly placed in the folder marked Nicklas Bendtner and Marouane Chamakh.

Paul Wilkes is a freelance Spanish football writer and editor of the LaLigaUK website.

Very good report as always GoonerB.

My entire knowledge of Senor Nachos is based on Peaches’ clip (above) and based on that I can confidently say he’s going to be great :)

Two things in his favour: (1) he’s not a midget; (2) he can cross.

I also agree with you about Cocky being the best bet for the DM-ish position, where I could see him being more of a Flamini than a Gilberto.

Dgob
    I thought your comment earlier was really good and pleasantly positive. Unfortunately some of the people who might normally have thanked you for it and welcomed you were distracted by other matters.

So let me just say, please feel free to come back and chat any time.

90. SPECTRUM says:

MickyDidIt89 – Serious question ; You say you know a lot about football. In a similar vein then, to my earlier question to you, what would you be doing differently if you were Arsenal’s manager ? Surely you don’t condone and support the way the club is run on and off the field ?

Secondly, assuming the board and Gazidis have ambition ( – they don’t of course, but let’s just assume for argument’s sake, they DID have ) don’t you think they should have TOLD Wenger in no uncertain terms, that he has been given the transfer funds to spend for a REASON ( i.e. to improve the depth of the team ), and that he MUST strengthen SUBSTANTIALLY, and do it now, in THIS window ?

If he didn’t ( and he hasn’t ), what consequences do you think Wenger should have faced for deliberately defying them ? All this is academic, because if the above were true, we would have had far more signings, surely ? Either way, the board AND Wenger must take the blame for dereliction of duty to the club and fans, no ?

91. SPECTRUM says:

Red MJ@1;23 – I’m under no illusions. I’m not mistaking Big Raddy’s fairness for support for my view, rest assured. Wrong website for that, anyway. But it’s appreciated nevertheless.

92. Shard says:

Well worth a read what the West Ham Chairman thinks of the transfer window, and some of the stuff that happens around it.

I notice that we have returned to the “Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda” debate.

It’s stale, overused, repetitive, dull speculation, and very “Anti Arsenal” but to each his/her own I guess.

94. SPECTRUM says:

goonerjake – ……” Oh Arsenal we love you.” Doesn’t alter the facts though. Taking refuge and comfort via loyalty and passion won’t do it, I’m afraid.

95. Shard says:

Ra,

You make me sound like some sheriff of a lawless town in the old West.. Well, it’s an improvement from being a beetle I guess. Although if I were a scarab, I would have been worshipped by an entire ancient culture. (Note the absence of capitalisation of the A in your name)

Let’s discuss Arteta.

It relates to GoonerB’s Post (and is surely more interesting than just blaring the same “truth” at each other like beardy desert prophets).

Apparently Mikel is recovered from injury and may be considered for the Orc game tomorrow.

There seems to be a swell of opinion that he was fantastic last year (with Song alongside him) but that he has struggled this year, having to do the DM-ish role all on his lonesome.

In fact, I wonder if the last few games have shown how much we have been missing him (even the victories). Ramsey has played pretty well in the DM role but it doesn’t seem like his best position; Diaby looks out of place there and off the pace; Coquelin has deputised best for Mikel, but is way behind him in terms of experience.

I think the return of Arteta will improve our control of the ball and take some of the pressure off the back line, thereby helping them to cut out the risk of stupid errors.

Perhaps an unintended rest for Mikel might be exactly what the doctor (didn’t) order and he will step back into the team reinvigorated.

Thoughts?

in swimming
    against the tide
    Only winning
    an argument
    to please his ego.

98. Shard says:

A new sheriff is in town!!

**draws quickly and shoots boring argument right between the eyes**

99. Shard says:

Rocky gets caught in the crossfire. Sorry :)

Arteta, almost very season, misses a number of matches. I don’t have the stats off-hand, but there it is. In his and Coquelin’s absence Ramsey has deputised for him, and done quite well. But we’re still to see team’s put as much pressure on Ramsey as they did on Arteta. I don’t know if he will be reinvigorated, but it will certainly be a boost to the team to have him back. Many have also acknowledged his leadership in the dressing room ,and maybe he will provide some on the field too.

100. Shard says:

teams*

Right, before I go, and out of politeness, I’d like to respond to Spectrum’s 1:40.
    In short, I really don’t know.
    If something is not right in any organisation, I always blame the one at the top, so in this case SK, and I have absolutely no idea what he thinks.
    I also don’t think there is anything drastically wrong that one or maybe two signings couldn’t fix, but then again, name me one club where fans don’t think the same thing.
    Kind of what makes the whole thing so interesting.
    Signing off now.

102. Shard says:

Run you lily-livered cur :)

103. SPECTRUM says:

GoonerN5 – He’s a definite improvement on Santos, but then anyone would be an improvement on Santos, wouldn’t they ? But you miss the point. Our overall squad depth HAS NOT IMPROVED. Wenger won’t keep three players in contention for one position. Santos is therefore on the way out. Even he knows Santos is useless. And KNOWING he’s useless, why would he have left it until the last day of the window to do something about it ?

He did because he was left with no choice. It was purely down to good luck for Wenger that Gibbs got injured WHEN HE DID, and not a few days later, as it would have been too late to bring in a potential replacement. It’s obvious Wenger did not intend to buy ANYONE AT ALL, but was ( reluctantly ) forced into it. He wanted to wing it again, trusting that all will work out without having a back up . What a way to manage a team ! Recklessly irresponsible when you consider how lacking in cover and leadership we are.

104. goonerjake says:

Spectrum,

Don’t under estimate the power of faith and belief. I have seen teams with less ability than others who achieve more because of faith and belief. Plus have you heard of the times when the crowd become like an extra man. Now if support can contribute to a team winning, would you not agree negativity can have a detrimental effect. I don’t necessarily want you to agree with me regarding how the club should be run, but I would like you to have my back, I have yours.

105. SPECTRUM says:

Now that MickyDidit89 has departed, anyone want to take up the baton on my post to him at 1;40 ?

Raddy said:

Well how do you define positive ?

I could hammer into so many things that are wrong at the moment but i feel uncomfortable on here to express my feelings. it never used to be like that.

Wenger can say what he likes about Monreal but he fucked up big time with Santos and is one of the few players he has bought that he can’t get rid of quick enough.The gibbs injury just made the whole transfer quicker.
    I could say a lot more but i am not possitive enough.at least at the moment

107. oz gunner says:

@ GoonB

thanks for the read, couldn’t agree more on the Coquelin thing. He IS the answer.
    I think I may cry if another supporter mentions they want Fellaini to sign for our DM position though. Fellaini was our version of Denilson, the Everton fans blamed him for everything. This year has been his breakout and he has played in the AM position (NOT DM), or just off the striker. Just because the boy is a giant doesn’t mean he is a good DM (if that were the case we’d go sign Zigic). His 9 goals this season are evidence of that!
    Coquelin is our answer! Long live Coquelin!!!

@ Shard 11.53

I like the cut of your jib! agree with all of that!

Why do you feel uncomfortable Kelsey?

I have read lots of views from you (and most regulars) that could be described as being negative or critical of the way the club’s being run.

I don’t recall having seen anyone be rude to you as a result (in fact, on balance, I would say the majority here share some of your concerns).

Rasp, Micky, Peaches, Redders and many more (me included) have at times bemoaned aspects of how the club is doing things.

I’m not trying to make a point – I’m just genuinely surprised that you feel uncomfortable expressing your feelings.

Oz
    Well said. Anyone thinking Fellaini is a DM is off their rocker.

110. oz gunner says:

How has anyone ever made you feel like you could not express your opinions though Kelsey? I’ve been loitering around here now for over a year and a half and I’ve seen nothing but respect shown to individuals, especially to a stalwart like yourself!

There is a big difference in how you voice your concerns as opposed to Spectrum. People welcome your opinion, it’s always great to read. Most couldn’t care less what Spectrum has to say.
    Then again most probably couldn’t care less about what I have to say either :)

Kelsey,

Personally I have no problem with people expressing their opinions, positive or negative, as that is what the forum is all about.

However my patience runs dry when I read the same old drivel re-stated a thousand different ways and when writers display their incredible use of 20/20 hindsight when stating “their expert opinion”

We are what we are and we are nowhere near as bad as the doomsayer’s would have us believe.

112. oz gunner says:

damn you Rocky you beat me too it!

I feel like shouting it off tall buildings at times! Fellaini = AM!
    When he played in front of the defence in the early days at Everton he was woeful. He would wander around the place like a headless chook! That’s okay though lets buy an AM for 22million and stick him at DM, when we have under 21 international Coquelin waiting in the wings ready to grab his spot.

It’s alright Rocky.(and oz and gunnerN5)

no one has been rude to me but to me the site has changed in many aspects some good some not so good, and on an open forum, i would rather leave it at that.

I believe i am consistent in my views and have been proved right up to now except in the case of walcott who though he has undoubtedly improved and still has more improvement in him, i doubted most of all his ability to score goals at a level that he is now doing so.

114. Shard says:

oz,

I do. Because you’re nice to me :)

115. SPECTRUM says:

goonerjake – Why do you and others interpret me telling the truth about the team as being negative ? I tell it as I see it, because that also happens to be as IT IS. Much as Wenger worshipers ( not necessarily you ) want to whitewash it with fuzzy feel good emotions. You’re parroting the same line as Wenger did the other week. He’s virtually blaming the fans for the team being nervous, at home matches in particular. First it was injuries, then bad luck, then referees and now it’s our turn. He’ll blame everything and everyone, except himself, for his and the team’s failings.

The fans who are disgruntled at matches and voice their displeasure, aren’t necessarily blaming the team alone, ( though they must take some of the blame ). they’re primarily angry at the manager ( and board ) for not being able to fix the same glaring deficiencies we see so often. Deficiencies that cost us points, and which, when repeated over many games, result in the current 21 point gap we now have to Man. United. Can’t you see this ?

The fans aren’t CAUSING the problems. They’re REACTING TO the problems – the ones that are created and perpetuated by the manager himself. He has the ultimate control and the power to do something about it, but chooses not to, or is plainly inadequate to do so anymore.The fans don’t coach and train the team – that’s the manager’s responsibility. And he has failed, and continues to fail in doing that. Yet a couple of unconvincing wins has you thinking all is well, until it happens all over again.

Faith and belief can only get you so far. Champion teams don’t rely on that alone, and it is foolish to do so. Faith and belief is but one factor in the jigsaw. Wenger uses it as an emotional crutch to the point of being completely deluded. Why do you think he ALWAYS praises the team regardless of whether we win, draw or lose ? Regardless of if we play well, indifferently or rubbish ? Why does he always use the terms “quality” and ” great spirit”, even when it’s obvious we had none ? Can’t you see he has become a laughing stock and object of derision among the non A.K.B.’s ? If you can’t, you need to get over to some other sites to see why we feel that way.

Kelsey,

Walcott has become a real revelation and has improved to a level that most of us would not have believed, even as recently as last season he was just joe average – all the more credit to Arsene for seeing and believing what we wouldn’t and couldn’t.

Ramsey is another player who has improved by leaps and bounds and seems to have found his niche as a more defensive mid-fielder, he’s still a work in progress but credit given where credit is due.

I was negative towards both of these players and would have been happy to have seen them transferred – how wrong was I?

117. slime says:

If Coquelin is the future DM, then it does beg the question Do we need Frimps, Diaby and Ramsey as back up? Ramsey, for me, should be kept as our utility player, but the other 2 could really be replaced with a top class midfielder ie Fellaini! I know Oz will RL will call me crazy, but you might have noticed that in the last few days I’ve stopped using the term DM, and that’s because we don’t need one. What we need is a disciplined ball player who can read the game, tackle, and most importantly (as pointed out by GoonerB) get about the field quickly. If i could hand pick this player it would be Yaya Toure, but given that he’s at City, Fellaini is the closest I’ve seen to this so far. DM, no. CM, yes! :)

I don’t remember this site being set up with a view to it being a “Positive Site”.

Prior to this site coming into existence, two extremes in Arsenal blog world had developed: there were the sites on which you could only express your dislike of Arsene Wenger and there were the other sites in which you could only express your admiration of him.

I remember quite clearly that the mission statement of this site was to be able to accommodate both views.

And voila, look above, that has surely been achieved.

It never ceases to amaze me how so many Arsenal supporters are still capable of acting like spoilt children; they moan day in and day out about the need for a new Left Back and when one arrives they belittle it by calling it a panic buy.

Santos looks like a poor purchase, proof positive that Wenger doesn’t get every signing right every time, big deal get over it.

120. SPECTRUM says:

GoonerN5 – ” We are what we are and we are nowhere near as bad as the doomsayer’s would have us believe “.

GoonerN5, if there’s a parallel Arsenal universe, you must be living in IT, and not this one. We are what we are, but WE DON’T NEED OR HAVE TO BE what we are. Nineteen points off first place, ( not third or fourth ), but FIRST place, last season, Twenty one off the pace this season. Knocked out of the league cup by mighty Bradford, currently 34 /1 to win ( ? ) the champions league, a competition Wenger and his A.K.B. lemmings see as their holy grail even though we cannot ever win it, ( especially when we don’t strengthen the team ), a manager who refuses to acknowledge the mess he created – and the prospect of missing out on our main source of revenue – that very same Champions league – because of it – and that’s just a handful of instances.

But things aren’t all that bad, are they ?

121. Hi all ,has anyone else thought Nacho man looks like Pedro ?
    As if running a blog isn’t enough work he wants to fill in at left back too, lol.

122. goonerjake says:

Spectrum

I now going to give my definitive view which I know you will not like but you did ask some very pointed questions.

I would like to win trophies fact.
    However I fully understand and believe in the way the club is being run. One of my views it is immoral to pay the quantities of money for signings and wages that some players are demanding and much credit to arsenal and mr wenger for not pandering to the disgusting and deplorable expectations.
    I am a arsene knows best, he certainly knows better than me otherwise I would be a manager.
    I support and leave the running of the club to the experts.
    My only wish would be for the club to pass on savings to the fans, paying too much to watch football.
    Finally I have been on other sites and have got abuse for putting some of the above which included foul mouthed attacks for which I sought an appology. Also I found them to be almost militant which I find causes more problems than solutions.
    All the very best goonerjake

123. RedMJ says:

Spectrum, just because you keep repeating the same mantra, half truths and opinions doesn’t mean they are or will become fact. You keep trying to assert that your opinion is fact and you use your opinion to prove that it is fact. You are Adrian Durham in disguise and not a very good one at that.

124. Shard says:

Just watched the free video on Arsenal.com of the Monreal signing, and both Arteta and Coquelin are back running with the group.

125. SPECTRUM says:

In closing for the night, for the record I expect us to beat Stoke. They are struggling to score goals, especially away from home, as West Ham also were. My tip is 3-0. That score in isolation, would normally be a positive for us. But in the context of our season, getting three points will do us no good, if ( as is likely ) the teams around and above us, also do the same.

Truth is, the damage has already been done long ago. Now we are among the also rans, as is usual for us now. So enjoy the ( anticipated ) win, but for me, it’s all so inconsequential.

126. goonerjake says:

Shard,

Just watched the video myself, good to see arteta back,

127. SPECTRUM says:

P.S. RedMJ – For someone who has been issuing “mantras, half truths and opinions” for the last eight years, I haven’t done too badly in my predictions so far, have I ? But you don’t live in the same world as me, I guess. I’m sure you’ll “keep the faith” though, eh ?

128. TT says:

Hi GoonerB,

To me Coquelin seems raw, and of slight build (even though I know he’s about the same size as Ramsey). He needs time to develop. Ramsey seems more assured in the role.

About Monreal’s purchase, I think Wenger remembers the result of last January when none of our fullbacks were available, and he tried to fill the positions with folks like Vermaelen. This year Vermaelen is injured (?) & Santos is rusty. Seemed like he had little choice but to buy.

Question from me, will Santos play more? I think, yes! Monreal is not eligible for CL, which means Wenger must give Santos playing time in order to sharpen up. That’s assuming Wenger takes CL seriously this year of course.

We might see Santos for Stoke and Sunderland. Monreal to appear against Blackburn. Then back to Santos for CL against Bayern Munich.

129. slime says:

Spectrum,

‘In the context of our season, 3 points will do us no good.’

Brilliant…..

130. RedMJ says:

Spectrum, I have no idea what you predicted but I would imagine that after the start we had last season you were predicting relegation and meltdown. I doubt you had us down for a 3rd place finish.From what I read of your comments though, your predictions seem mostly to be based on hindsight and Fifa 13.

Spectrum, your a cad of the highest order and i chalange you to a Duel. You name it, fist fight, guns at dawn, cricket bats, what ever.

i would prefer my favourite martial art, Shititsue, but i expect you would be quite good at that one too. hahaha

Fine post GB. We definatly need a defensive midfielder. I reckon Arsene will address this in the summer.

132. kgooner says:

Super post GoonerB! You covered our new LB and our defensive torubles in one post seamlessly.

I’ve always been in favour of the strong DM that you talked of. Atleast in some games. While the coq is quick in reaction and intercepting balls, he may not fair well in one on one situations that require use of the body to recover balls from opponents. I remember Song doing this often where he’d get us balls perfect for catching opponents on the counter. The foul against coqueling in th Chelsea game was not a fair challenge, but cost us a goal. A stronger DM would not have fallen so easily from a challenge by Ramires.

2 midfielders in front of the CBs – coquelin would fit in well. In some games however, when facing more physical sides, a strong imposing DM is a safer bet.

I guess its a trade off. One system for the other.

133. mallard says:

Thanks for two belters, GoonerB

I’m in between selling one house and buying another so I’m using the free wifi at the gym for internet access. :)

This means I won’t be on much though.
    Having skim read today’s comments, what a fucking blessing that is. :)
    Maybe see some of you in the Tavern tomorrow.

Mallard
    Are you typing with one hand and “pumping your iron” with the other?

135. evonne says:

I like Spectrum :) He is consistent and he has facts to back his views up. It’s the idiots that haven’t go a clue, pick something up and run with it like a dog with a bone. It would be a very boring blog if we all agreed on everything.

GB – you are becoming my new hero, keep writing!

136. evonne says:

ooops! half the sentence disappeared – it’s the idiots driving me mad that haven’t go a clue. There. I doubt anybody reads it, but I like to make myself clear just in case

Hello Rocky

137. evonne says:

Spectrum – when in trouble, call me. I have a magic wand that makes everybody go away :)

Orks tomorrow :( not on telly :(

evonne
    Your magic doesn’t work on me.

(Well, not the “go away” magic at any rate :) )

It’s on the telly over here evonne.

Can you get here by kick-off?

140. evonne says:

for you? of course

Don’t tell Mallard.

I’ll get some dips in. To go with the nachos.

Afternoon all, apologies for my late entry into the ring.

Thanks for the tasty snack on Nachos GoonerB.

The signing of the said savoury morsel was more than I expected so how could I not be happy? (questionable English :roll: )

I don’t think the video clip makes him look that great actually but everything I’ve read tells me its a step in the right direction.

No point in moaning about who we could ave signed … save it for the summer if things don’t go our way.

AW does has a major conundrum – as someone said earlier, does he gvie Santos regular games in the prem to keep him fit for the CL (assuming Gibbs is out for 6 weeks) or will he play TV at LB and integrate Nacho into the prem side ASAP?

144. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

Afternoon
    I can’t comment on Nachos as I have not seen him play,but he has to be an improvement on the boy from brazil

As manuel says in Faulty Towers.

‘ I KNOW NOTHING .

Much Love
    Sheep Hagger ™

145. evonne says:

Rocky :) will you ever come back to UK?

I suspect that the Club did try to buy more players, possibly Villa and Diamy. Why they didn’t succeed is a different matter. Personally I think we should get Villa; Barca owe us a favour or two and IF we really wanted Villa, Wenger should be able to call on that favour. Then again, do we need another striker? Probably not

146. Rob Lucci says:

That is a very good post GoonerB, expressing exactly what I said on the last post.

I know that people think Ramsey have done a good job, which he was, but the beauty of Gilberto and Flamini play is that they never allowed their defenders to make a comical error like the one against Liverpool, usually by shutting down opposition’s attack early.

This is the one thing that Alex Song also possess but it’s like he seemly forget how to do it consistently after his breakthrough season.

I have a really high hope for Coquelin, because he is the closest thing that we have to Flamini.

147. Rob Lucci says:

on transfer,

Wenger was coy about his other transfer plans after the January window shut, coyly explaining: “we were close to one more signature.”

The Frenchman went on to state “it did not happen because of the desire of the clubs to sell or not sell. It is only linked with that.

“It was not a money problem, it was more a desire from other clubs to keep their players.

“I believe that we have top quality in our squad and that is what we want to show until the end of the season.”

Rob
    Sounds like Villa, if you ask me.

But then who knows? None of the journos flagged up the Nacho Man…

149. Rob Lucci says:

Yeah Rocky, I think so too.

I think we could do with one more striker in Villa’s mould, but I think Malaga didn’t have one of those, right? :-)

150. Nacho man is the 2nd choice left back for the Spanish national team. Someone talked about him not being good enough for malaga lol. I think he was coming in the summer anyway as they have already bougt a replacement.

Our last 4 signings are

Giroud
    Cazorla
    Podolski
    Nacho

Whether or not we need more (and I think we do)

That is definitely a shift in our transfer policy

I like the fact that AW was able to work “under cover” to get Monreal, it shows that he really did have players in mind, regardless of whether he had to bring the purchase forward.

If it transpired that the transfer had not gone through then nobody would have been any the wiser and he would have been accused (once again) of lying about having players in mind and preferring not to spend.

With such fickle fans the poor man can never win, if he didn’t have Arsenal in his heart and soul he would have left long ago – who needs the amount of abuse that he gets? – certainly not one of the best managers English football has ever seen!

Hi Rasp;

Check Arsenal nuts and let me know your thoughts.

153. Rob Lucci says:

wow, he even had an interview! I didn’t remember if Santos ever have one.. :)

Right. I should take my own advice and just talk football…. (and wine + music + travel + food +++++)

Will Nacho start against The Orcs?

Would we not be better off giving him a few days to settle in and play 3 CB’s?

155. evonne says:

No Raddy, if Nacho doesn’t play, Santos will

Mind you, aren’t we a bit too quick to write Santos off? I would hate it if he moved elsewhere and played brilliantly.

I am off to look for those video compilations showing the best of players featuring Santos; wish me luck

156. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

Hi
    I don’t think AW will play him I may be wrong !.
    Get rid of pantos ASAP HES AS MUCH USE AS A BULL IN A CHINA SHOP

Much love

157. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

Andre Santos

Brazilian angered many with his request to take Robin Van Persie’s shirt at half-time but he had angered far more with his insipid displays.
    Positionally reckless, unable to defend and can’t cross a ball. These are issues that shouldn’t really be part of the genetic make-up of a Premier League player.
    Kieran Gibbs has easily seen off Santos’s advances and a move back to Turkey, where a number of sides appear to value him, would be best for all concerned.

158. evonne says:

Found one!!! Found one!!! Video of silky skills Santos

159. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

That is his brother Santos Pantos .
    Lol

160. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

Team news .

Full team news now ahead of the game with Stoke and Monreal is expected to make his debut for the club at The Emirates on Saturday. Thomas Vermaelen is a doubt with an ankle problem but Mikel Arteta could return from his calf injury. Francis Coquelin is still out with a hamstring problem while Gervinho is at the African Nations.

Sheep news .com ™

161. slime says:

I feel I may have been a little harsh on Santos. He was s**te against Liverpool, end of, but in fairness to him he is coming back from injury and hasn’t played much recently. The more games he plays, the better he gets (we saw last season).

I absolutely loved him last year, but I now realise it was more like the love you have for an idiotic friend who will do absolutely anything to make people laugh, until he takes it one step too far and accidentally kills someone!!!
    Can he ever be trusted with LB again? Or do we have to move him to LW where the chances of him doing any more damage are limited? Or even worse, is it the chop!?

162. Reddawn says:

I have donned my Vorlon Encounter Suit as I wish to make further comment with regards to Ramsey. The majority on our site do appear to see Ramsey as a job in progress, with the possibility of him turning out to be a top player. Injury apart, I would take issue with his ability to become a top player. To me, the main problem with Ramsey, is not in his technique, but in the way his mind appears to work. Most of the games I’ve watched him play, I have noticed his mental hesitancy on and off of the ball. To put it kindly, it’s like watching a Babbage computer churning through the cogs and cylinders for ten minutes, to calculate how many 1’s go into 2. The game against Liverpool may have shown improvement to some, but not to me. Although, he had made a few reasonable passes, many of the other passes were meek to say the least and his tackling although fairly robust still managed to give the ball to the opposition. A team with the stature of Arsenal cannot really afford a player as Ramsey to continue in such a demanding position. To be fair to all those who would like Ramsey to achieve his potential, I believe a period of loan would do him no harm, plus there would be less pressure from the Vorlons like me and the tabloids.

163. slime says:

Reddawn,

I like Ramsey, more for his effort than anything, and also because I feel he gets a rough ride from certain sections of the fans. It almost feels like he has to do something amazing just to get a nod of appreciation from fans. However, I also wonder about his ability to become world class. He is a totally different midfielder to any others we have. He’s a jack of all trades, master of none. He can pass, tackle, run, shoot, cross, everything, but to get to the next level, he is going to have to work his arse off on the training ground. It must be frustrating for him watching JW come back from 14 months out and hit his stride after 5 games! Some people get it naturally (Cesc, Bergkamp etc) and some have to spend hours working at it (Parlour). I think he is a great utility option, and if he does work his nuts off, then he could be another Parlour. Time will tell.

164. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

Ramsey
    We need him he’s a young lad u forget he will be class give him time.
    He tries his best unlike others in the team and always works hard yes he messed up like in the liverpoo game.
    But haven’t we all messed up one time in our life as youngsters I was young once.

much Love

165. janman says:

Big Raddy. I am a regular reader of this blog and several others but very rarely post on them. However, your 12.59 comment has stunned me. How on earth could you call Gambon a massive Gooner, have you honestly read the racist bile he posts on LG and the language he uses in reference to Wenger and anyone who supports Wenger? Gambon is not a massive gooner, he is nothing more than a pathetic wind up artist. By the way I truly enjoy the comments and discussion on this blog. Good job.

166. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

Well said pal

167. Gooner in Exile says:

GoonerB top article sir, shame it got derailed in the comments somewhere along the line, I must admit Coquelin has really impressed in his limited opportunities this year, and you are right about his pace, something i had noticed but not really appreciated until you raised it. He also used it to good effect to bring another option to attacks and create energy in our play.

I read a comment not sure by who (i skim read earlier comments) saying they didn’t know who Nacho was, neither do I, I will judge him once i’ve seen him play.

Oh and regarding other comments earlier, i gave up listening to the AST a while back, they are a group who seem to be carrying an agenda and like the press reaction to their comments. Lets remember they have absolutely no internal information and like so many others in the media and blog world use speculation and assumption on which to base their views.

Who knows they may have had promises from Usmanov….not financial but maybe “we will involve you in our plans, we will give you a seat on the board, we will ………… “, and that could be why they do what they do.

However this is the comment of the day for me:

“As for Liverpool’s signings – only one stands out for me, and that of course, is Suarez. Absolute class. Has his temperament / attitude problems, but footballing wise, is one we could have, and should have signed up when he was available. They paid 22.8 million for him, and that was money well spent, because they had to break their (then ) transfer record for him.

Oddly enough, they bought him in a January window, a time when ( according to Wenger ), “it can be very difficult to find players.””

They also bought Andy Carroll for £35m in the same window and sold Torres for £50m. But of course it was about strengthening their squad and not at all about panic buying……and then in the summer they went on to spend a further £Xmillion on Henderson, Downing. They were showing real ambition to buy British talent and push on.

Tell me would Liverpool fans prefer to still have Torres than have Suarez? Don’t use his current form at Chelsea to answer that, use his performances for Liverpool before departure.

168. Gooner in Exile says:

Janman good to have you here, always good to add new voices to the comments.

169. Gooner in Exile says:

I honestly couldn’t think of a worse game for a gifted Spanish footballer to start in than the Orcs at home….welcome to the PL young man!

Good evening chaps. Sorry I am so late on here but mitigating circumstances have thwarted me. I have actually pretty much read through all the posts today and I will not be able to respond to all, but obviously a thank-you to you all who read it and responded.

Too many good comments to pick up on all of them, but I did like the comments from Dgob and RedMJ much earlier and hope they are back on here in the future a lot more.

To Kelsey, as someone said you are a stalwart of this site, and have been on here a lot longer than me, and I do always enjoy reading your points. I agree with many of your views, if not all of them, but the key thing for me is that you bring valid arguments to the table while respecting others right to have a different view, as it should be on this site.

One of the things I love about this site is the respect afforded to each other in terms of having different views. it makes for great debating and there are many times when I have changed my stance on something based upon the reasoned argument of another blogger. This is a diverse site with diverse views, and long may it remain that way.

Which brings me to… Spectrum. Every time you come on here Spectrum I seem to not be around which perturbs me, as I feel I have so much to debate with you. I know you rub some up the wrong way but I agree with Raddy that as an Arsenal fan you have a right to express your opinion, and if you chose to do so on this site, so be it. In fact I am starting to get a feeling that you actually love this site Spectrum, and that you are enjoying the debates with the AA regulars. I am beginning to think that you are actually a closet AA’er in disguise, but that you are just not quite ready to relinquish your previous life.

I am sure it is too late in Oz now so we will have to wait till another time, that is if you survive your dual with Terry Mancini. A word of advice Spectrum, if he offers you a dual that involves some garden shears, a hairdryer, and a donkey sanctuary then decline. He has never been, nor ever will be, beaten in this duel.

A final word for the lovely Evonne. She mentioned something earlier about me and something about being a hero. I have cut, pasted (and slightly altered) this statement Evonne. I have put it in a frame with a picture of me in my prime from 1987 in Shagaluf and have placed it on Mrs GoonerB’s bedside table.

Janman. Great to read you enjoy the site and have started to blog with us.

If you say Gambon is a wind up merchant, I believe you. Many moons have passed since I read his work.

GoonerB 9.37 :-D I went to Shagaluf in 1970 – some of me is still there

I think I saw a picture of you in Tokyo Joes Raddy.

May I add my welcome to Janman, I hope we have the pleasure of his/her? company in comments again.

I don’t think anyone would praise Gambon if they’d read the stuff he comes out with. He may be a supporter but he’s not my kind of supporter.

175. Janman says:

Big Raddy. Thank you. As I said, I certainly enjoy this blog and the comments, you and your team do a great job. With the exception of a limited few, the comments are open and decent debates. It does not matter what team you support, fans will always look at both sides of the fence. I am one of the first to say that Arsene Wenger has made his fair share of mistakes but I admire his values and the way our great club is run. Of course I would like to win trophies year after year but I don’t believe we should sell our soul to achieve that.but I can understand why the “weaker” fans are impatient. I am a little over 60 and have seen many different sides of AFC but the years under Wenger are for sure the best years we have had. People criticise our transfer policies but in General Wenger is sound and brings in quality (with a few exceptions) I don’t think we are very far away from being back up at the top and challenging City United and Chelsea. When you consider our club politics and theirs, I prefer to run the club in the manner that we are. I believe one of our big problems at the moment is nothing more than lack of confidence and a run of back to back wins would do us no harm. I will tip that we finish 3rd or 4th.

Janman @10.15, that is a great comment and I too hope you will be on AA more often.

Raddy I am intrigued by your mention of Shagaluf 1970. I haven’t been there in many years now. In more recent years I have been to Puerto Pollensa on the north side of the island. I would be intrigued to hear your version of Shagaluf in the 70’s.

177. Gooner In Exile says:

Another +60 year old supporter on here my bet is put GN5, DD, Janman, Kelsey (?the locks say under the bowls say over) round a table and we could knockout a very good book about supporting Arsenal through the years.

That’s not to discredit opinions of younger fans but there definitely is an argument for “you’ve never had it so good” in terms of what we have seen on the pitch over the last twenty or so years, in terms of success and quality of football.

Janman@10.15 what a great comment. Its needed to hear from Arsenal fans with a healthy perspective like yours. Keep posting my friend.

179. Funny how spectrum started supporting Arsenal when we won the league in 89 then says he started saying how it was all going wrong straight after we won our last trophy. I find him boring like a broken record.

180. JM says:

For all to know:

Nacho Monreal shall wear the No.17 jersey.

181. Gooner In Exile says:

I have always felt there has been an element of the fan base waiting to say “I told you so” about Arsene Who?

I remember reading articles from certain authors in the fanzines (for teenagers a fanzine was where we got our non boardroom perspective pre Internet) always quick to criticise Wenger, especially in the early days and any time there was a blip during his reign (yes even during the trophy years), it’s why I stopped reading them in the end as they moved away from terrace humour to opinion.

182. oz gunner says:

@ GM

agreed. He acts like he’s a prophet sent here to bring the Arsenal truth. Instead I just think of him as one of those loons in the street wearing a sandwich board saying ‘the end is nigh’

183. Gooner In Exile says:

I am really pleased that we have actually seen this transfer window how Wengers answers to the press are not always for us:

30 January : Gibbs out for three weeks

1 February : Gibbs possibly out for two months

So what would £8.5m fee have been if the announcement of a two month lay off had come pre Deadline Day?

184. oz gunner says:

6-8 weeks out with thigh strain holy smokes.

Must have been a grade two strain then which is normally 4-6. Hopefully it wasn’t made worse by his attempt to play on after he first felt the pain.

Poor kid can’t catch a break!

Morning all

just for the record there is a much higher percentage of just under 60’s and over 60’s on AA than many realise and though it doesn’t have that much signifigence that we have a longer history of supporting Arsenal I will accept that when some refer to the really bleak days of some many years ago it isn’t meant to be a comparison,at least with my eyes as with most things, football in all aspects has changed dramatically.

For those who don’t know(and forgive me for repeating myself) a group of about 6 of us were regular posters on LG and for various reasons decided to leave.Another blog was set up by someone who no longer blogs and left without a blog peaches and rasp set up AA ably assisted by a few of us to the best of our ability.

I am much more concerned how this season will turn out rather than giving so much attention and credence to certain posters from a former life.
    I don’t really see what benefit it does to mention people by name who are totally insignificant as far as AA is concerned and i for one wouldn’t give them two minutes in a face to face conversation

I hope with the fairly new input from several contributers and the stalwarts we can move on.Thanks.

186. Gooner In Exile says:

Looked like it was outside of thigh nearer the hip, not sure if that muscle is trickier to heal.

You have to wonder whether earlier problems with ankles are affecting his biomechanics or is it just the amount of energy he puts into his performances.

I’m an old unfit git these days, but in the last two years I have developed a knee problem which I never injured once during my playing days, I did however play on heavily strapped ankles for years. I can put my knee out walking in a straight line and turning my head to look at something.

my info tells me that we were given a red herring when it was announced by some in the media that Dick Laws had flown out to Barca to try and get a deal for David Villa, it was Monreal that he specifically went tsee to tie up negotiations.i think Wenger had decided a while back prior to gibbs injury that monreal if available would be the answer to our LB dilemma..

Morning all
    I’m actually in London and I cannot go or even watch the game
    Massive upside down smiley face with teardrop

Micky. Plastic fan :-D

Unlike us armchair followers who have a perfect excuse

GoonerB. Re: Shagaluf. Brilliant days but what happens on tour, stays on tour ….

190. slime says:

I’m pretty sure the 6-8 weeks mentioned was inclusive of training time to get back to fitness. I think I read Wenger saying 4-6 weeks with 2 weeks to get fit. Just thought I would put that out before anyone decides its the medical team, or even Wenger himself who is sabotaging players in order not to come 4th, because apparently he gets some form of financial reward for the club doing poorly ;)

191. slime says:

Sorry, been reading other sites and lost myself for a moment!

Morning all. Working on a Saturday. Don’t you just love it…. No need to feel sorry for me though all you 60ish AA gentleman of leisure.

Amen to your last statement Raddy @6.53. If the truth came out from those days I can picture a scene with Mrs GoonerB and lots of questions which start like ;

You didn’t really….
    What on earth did you….
    I can’t believe that ….

And all with me staring blankly ahead racking my brain for something clever to say. The fact that I hadn’t even met Mrs GoonerB back then is of course irrelevant. My general tact in those circumstances is to blame it on another friend who I know Mrs GoonerB is unlikely to run into. If you ever find yourself in that situation Raddy, feel free to blame me.

See you all later. I am looking forward to what hairy hero you have unearthed for us all today Raddy.

193. Red Arse says:

Good morning, Kelsey, :-)

re your 6:25.

I have already said why I frequent AA, but underlying every other reason is my enjoyment of the chat and company of very many of the site bloggers, new and old …… and hairy headed headed, like me.

For the same reason, once I lose that enjoyment I will move on — and let’s face it, there is now a seriously boring, utterly bad egg with no redeeming features who now pesters this site with repetitive idiocy, typed in CAPITAL letters, and the time is drawing nigh when I have to say I am NOT enjoying the site when he is around.

194. evonne says:

Morning all!

The worst nightmare scenario for me is when i have 5 mins to read the blog and somewhere in the middle of the night people start commenting on janman’s blog….grrrrrhhh…had to scroll back and read what he had to say. 5 mins gone, but it was worth it, bloody good comments allright

GB – you are a flirt sir :)

DidIt – enjoy jelly flicking! You know, of course, that it contains piggy ingredients oink oink

195. evonne says:

morning RA, strong words

ok, I am ready and waiting for a Raddy. Yes, poor Nacho, he has no idea what’s going to hit him today; I hope Santi warned him of the Orcs

RA. In the words of the other AA, “Take what you like and leave the rest”.

It would be a sad day should you decide not to blog here

197. Red Arse says:

Morning Evonne, :-)

Not strong words at all. I am simply responding to my hirsuite friend Kelsey.

I am simply telling the truth.

In your case you said you love the comments of the person concerned, and that is your business — no problem from me. Enjoy!

198. evonne says:

RA – no! I did not say I love the person’s concerned comments, but I like him as a person, he has guts. And some valid points. Love is reserved for the possitive AAers and Rasp :)

come on you Raddy!!

199. evonne says:

Thought for the day: As I have grown older I discovered that it is impossible to please everybody; but to piss everyone off is a piece of cake

Morning all …..

….. New post ……..

201. Dgob says:

Thanks for the positive comments and I will definitely be following and posting on this post in the future.

202. Dgob says:

Oops, I meant on this blog

203. Phillip says:

I feel this is one of the so much significant information for me.
    And i am glad reading your article. But want to commentary on few normal things, The
    web site taste is wonderful, the articles is really great : D.
    Good activity, cheers