Suarez to Arsenal?

Why? Because this guy is as close to Ian Wright Wright Wright as we have seen since the retirement of the great man. If I had a choice of any striker in the PL, or perhaps even the world, it would be Suarez.  Brilliant player, plays for the team, runs non-stop, huge ego, controversial, he has the whole package and alongside OG would be superb.

How much would he cost? €40+m probably, but we have the money and  ……

OK, OK, calm down. It’s only a fantasy. Why would any club sell their lethal striker to a rival???

Unknown

26/5/89. Deep Joy

Tonight we will see if the recent improvement in our team can continue. 2 consecutive wins were vital after the previous losses.

Liverpool’s recent humiliation at the hands of the mighty Oldham is history and we are unlikely to see Rodgers experiment with his defence, though it should be noted that Coates who looked totally out of his depth cost over €8m.

This is a very important game to both clubs. A loss tonight would be costly and painful. So, we won’t lose. Stupid defensive mistakes must be eradicated. Thankfully, Liverpool do not have a strong aerial threat and rarely throw the ball into the box from distance. No, they tend to attack at pace and try to get Suarez one on one with a defender. BFG beware.

There are loads of stats about this game none of which interest me enough to put into the post. I recommend Newsnow.

I was going to write about the old days when Liverpool and Arsenal were The football forces in the land, of the Keegan days and the Dalgleish era and the Barnes/Rush team who were the second best English team I have ever seen live (you know who is first :-D). But tonight is about the new era of both clubs as they struggle to compete with the Oilers.

Liverpool have spent a fortune trying to sit at the top table. Huge amounts of money wasted upon players who don’t get near the first team (some reduced to West Ham). Perhaps things are finally turning in the right direction – it is high unlikely they will repeat their  8th position and 37 points off the top.

Some good alternatives in midfield mean they do not have to rely on Stevie Me for inspiration, though he is in fine form. Shelvey, Allen, Henderson,  Lucas, Downing and Suso are all good players.

Upfront, the emergence of Sterling and the purchase of Sturridge means that the Scouse have weapons all over the pitch. Thre are still defensive lapses and the reliance upon Carragher gives us hope.

As does the fact that Liverpool have yet to beat a team in the top half of the table this season! (sorry, dull stat)

Onto the Good Guys…..

Can OG continue his scoring run? Carragher and Agger are both strong men who cannot be bullied but OG has other weapons in his armory, Have Liverpool the pace and organisation to stop Walcott?

In my opinion, the game will hinge upon Wilshere. If he gains control of the midfield and I fully expect him to, we will win.

Runners and Riders:

001L

Given Ramsey’s recent performances I am tempted to let him continue as Diaby regains his fitness and form, but Diaby is a special player and he needs to play. Mr Wenger may well rest OG and play a 4 man midfield, but I hope he takes the more attacking option.

Today’s English Explorer: Sir John Smith (1580-1631). Once more we delve into the Days of Yore. This fellow was the first to map and explore Chesapeake Bay in North America,  furthermore, he named the area New England. In North America he was captured by  a Red Indian tribe, the Powhatan, and saved by the famous Pocahontas (later immortalised by Disney – real story well worth a read)

Unknown

Full Set. Knighthood.

Leaving home at 16 Smith became a naval mercenary, fighting the French, Dutch and Ottmans. Smith was an expert duellist and was knighted for killing 3 Turkish commanders! He was eventually captured by Turks and sold as a slave before escape. On return to London, Smith joined the Virginia Company setting sail for America and fame. He died in London in 1631. A fascinating man and well worth further investigation.

Arsenal are close to having a very good team, a few considered signing and the world is our  lobster. Forget Diame. Forget Wanyama. Sign Suarez and we will win the CL (at the very least)

COYRRG

Written by Big Raddy

305 Responses to Suarez to Arsenal?

1. Manthan Davda says:

Liverpool Lost to Oldham due to goalkeeper error they will come strong i guess. It will be tough fixture…

2. Manthan Davda says:

Saurez coming to emirates is not possible due to his cost… But i agree with one thing BR he always play for the team he dives he scores he run nonstop he is true teamplayer…

3. Adrian says:

Suares may be a brilliant player at times but I can’t say the same for his attitude on the pitch. Very shady character and I l have taken a strong disliking towards him for quite some time. Might just be a fantasy but I never want to see him wearing our jersey.

4. David says:

Both team are having a very up and down season and its fair to say that this is very important game for both and a victory for either would b massive. After watching the game Anfield were ansenal bosses the game in midfield and dominated that’s were I fear the game could b lost by us again tonight having said that I think he enough up top to hurt the ansenal defense and could score a few goals, I think it will b close but I’ve got to back my team ill go for a 3-2 LFC win

5. Norfolk Gooner says:

Good morning to you all,

The only change I would make to your starting eleven, BR, is to put Koscielny alongside Vermaelen in order to give us a bit more mobility, as you say Liverpool offer less of an aerial threat but have nippiness in plenty.

I think we can take the three points tonight and it would be nice to do the double over them.

6. Manthan Davda says:

NG,
    Valid point Pool don’t give us aerial theart but Sturdige and Saurez are quick so Kozz will be perfect for dis game….

7. Your point about, “Why would any club sell their lethal striker to a rival???”………
    Unfortunately we aren’t the club we used to be. LFC would only offload players who had either passed their sell-by date, had ongoing injury problems, or to a club they did not consider to be a threat.
    Recent sales of world-class talent such as Alonso, Mascherano, Torres (to Chelsea of all clubs !!!???), and the impending departure of Reina now suggest that Liverpool will now sell to anyone so long as the price is right. I fear a long period of mid-table mediocrity unless all the kids miraculously gel into an effective unit, or grow some balls. Neither seem likely after Sunday.

With regard to the other posters’ concentrating on the character of Suarez, well he’s just a pantomime villain. The ‘racism’ thing was a stitch-up and there are plenty of players who ‘simulate’, in all teams. At least he had no qualms about admitting to a dive (incidentally THE most blatant and comedic one you will ever see.)

Suarez is a genius. He works his balls of for whoever he plays for, and he wants to play in every game. Any team, and set of fans, would love him at their club regardless of the misplaced moralism they spout off in public.

Here’s to a good game tonight.

Norfolk. Good point,. I chose BFG because I prefer not to tinker with the defence where organisation is so important (as was seen on Saturday :-( )

Kos is a fine player and it wouldn’t surprise me to see him tonight.

9. Norfolk Gooner says:

David,

I like your optimism and will go along with your forecast of the final score…only it will be 3 – 2 to Arsenal. :-)

10. Adam says:

I am a liverpool fan and I have to say this is a very well written article. All very valid points but @ the end of the day I don’t see us winning to be honest. I’d be happy with a draw but I reckon you’ll win 3-1.

Jim Griffiths. Welcome to AA.

I was making a backhand reference to Van Persie…..

& I agree Suarez is a superb player

12. ogban says:

Not sure Kos has recovered enough from the Mancity debacle. Otherwise, good point.

13. Norfolk Gooner says:

BR,

I go along with the non-tinkering philosophy up to a point, but in this case I fear the BFG may struggle against the movement of Suarez in particular.

14. bill says:

Arsenal fans moaning about a player diving…. Pires henry reyes you have all worshiped immense divers in past which makes moaning about suarez…. hypocrisy

15. slime says:

I expect a very tough game tonight. If Liverpool play with Gerrard deep, then I will be ecstatic and will expect Wilshere to run rings round him and us to come out on top. If Gerrard plays higher up the pitch then it may be a different game. I’d like to say 3-1 but I think it could be a single goal either way. Really does depend on which Liverpool and which Arsenal we see, as both have been hit and miss this season.

Did anyone pick up on Wenger saying he was looking at Holtby the other week? I find it very strange that he came out with that comment on the morning that Spuds said they had an agreement with him! Maybe he was trying to derail the transfer, but surely he’d have been better to keep his mouth shut. We have lot of midfielders, but he’s one that could’ve improved us in the long run I think.

16. Dazzy says:

It’s nice to see some adult discussions on both teams by both sets of fans instead of slagging each other off ( like the man united supporters ) back to the point … I’m a liverpool fan but I think we are gonna come up short tonite gonna be close but little bit short .. We need to be strong in midfield to cancell out Wilshire and Sturbridge and Suarez gotta be on top form two teams trying to improve very interesting game :) ynwa

17. Norfolk Gooner says:

Dazzy,

ynwa? That’s an anagram of yawn, I think the game may be a bit more exciting than that. :-)

18. Shard says:

I was going to respond to the post first, but bill’s comment is just well…bull… I struggle to remember even one time that Henry dived, and he certainly didn’t have a reputation as such. Pires did have a reputation but that was based around the one dive against Portsmouth that is still brought up. Reyes. Well initially he did go down easy, but it was being cut out, before he was kicked out of the game at Old Trafford. He went back to Spain and was never worshipped by Arsenal fans. The player you should bring up with Arsenal, who dived and was worshipped was…. EBOUE :)

Great pre-match Raddy, and it is nice to see some Pool supporters on here. Welcome to Adam, David and Jim Griffiths. I am a big fan of Suarez despite any of the baggage. I don’t think he was blameless but I always felt the case against Suarez was slightly imbalanced, but unfortunately you were up against ManuF.A.

I too would play Kos with vermaelen and instruct Kos, who is our quickest defender, to focus on Suarez. I wouldn’t want him diving in with last ditch tackles but tell him to use his pace and strength to shepherd him.

I don’t personally feel the last game between us can be used as a barometer for tonight’s one. Diaby was immense that day but as we all know he is not always consistent from one game to the next, and can sometimes have one of those games. Furthermore Rodgers has had more time with the team now and players like Sterling have had more playing time and experience of games at this level. He has also brought in Sturridge, which for me will only serve to give Suarez more freedom and make him more difficult to pick up.

I think Arsenal will have to be on their game from start to finish to win tonight and we if we start in our less urgent pass it around the defenders slow motion mode we could find ourselves in trouble early. i fully expect the likes of Henderson, Lucas, and even Suarez himself to come out of the blocks from the off, closing us down quickly and showing high urgency. If we play high tempo for 90 minutes I fancy us for the win.

20. Norfolk Gooner says:

slime,

Wasn’t Wenger responding to a question? I suspect Wenger has “looked” at many many players. As you rightly say we have a lot of midfielders, but is Hotby better, right now, than the ones we already have?

21. Shard says:

BR,

I disagree about Suarez. Not about him being a brilliant player. But he just isn’t the sort of character that I’m used to seeing at Arsenal. Under Wenger at least. The cheating, diving, biting etc might show dedication to the cause to some people, but I don’t like to see it, and I’d rather not be put in the position of some Liverpool fans who have to decide whether they can see past his ‘misdemeanours’ or not.

As for tonight. It really is tough to say. Both teams are inconsistent. But Liverpool fans seem to even less confident than Arsenal fans it would seem. I think we have more quality in our side. If both teams play to the best of their abilities, I think we’d still win. Especially at home. So I’d make us slight favourites for tonight. Keeping Suarez and Sterling in check will be the key. And please can we avoid any long range wondergoals being scored against us.. They have a few players who can do that.

I am not sure Sterling will start.

My guess at the L’pool side

Reina

Johnson Carragher Agger Enrique

Downing Gerrard Lucas Henderson

Sturridge Suarez

23. slime says:

NG,

That’s why I said he could improve us in the long term. We have seen very little of Rosicky this season after such a promising one last year, and he’s 32 (I think!) now, so will need to be replaced in the next year or 2. I think Holtby would’ve been ideal, espescially at such a low fee. Nevermind though, Im convinced we will get some big players in the summer.

Top notch as always Raddy, thanks.
    Very nice to have a few polite and constructive Pool fans on.
    I have to say that the Sturridge/Suarez combo frightens the life out of me. Makes the CB pairing hard to call, as I agree with the organizational qualities of Mert, but the also the speed of Kos. Mmmm, tough one.

25. Great post as always Raddy
    I agree with the Liverpool fan earlier. Suarez was well stitched up and it was all made worse by the Liverpool players wearing those shirts.

26. Arsenal have announced Liam Bray is leaving

27. g fergo says:

shard,
    ok suarez bit an opponent, and served a long ban,but he was fitted up big time over evra racist incident, political correctness is a sore point in every walk of life and can and does get used to benefit whoever is snyde enough to use this dubious ticket, luis suarez is a 100% effort player who plays on the edge, and if liverpool had 2 more players with his commitment we would not be so far behind the scum, suarez is a top top player watch and enjoy instead of sitting on the edge of your seats waiting for him to drop a bollock, GOOD article ian right was a proper lad and i would love to buy him a bevvie if he come in our pub, along with shearer,di canio zidane and carragher, if people were aware of the things jamie carragher does for the community he would be seen in a different light,ian right has always been my favourite none LFC player love him even though im a scouser, by the way booing suarez does nothing to him but motivate him,

28. Red Arse says:

Good pre-match, Randy. :-)

With a ‘front line’ of – Gerv, Pod, Girou, Walcott, Ox – there is not room for Suarez, and it would never happen anyway. :-)

Lovely pre-match Raddy, you’ve managed to keep both sets of supporters happy :P

Much as I’d love to sign a top striker (and it is official we now have the money :roll: ) I am adamant the problems lie in our defence. If we fail to make top 4 it will be down to goals conceded not failure to score.

We should make tightening the defence and cutting out the silly mistakes as the priority in our signings (haha) and on the training ground.

I’m wasting my breath, but zonal marking has not stopped us leaking too many goals, so we should adopt a more pragmatic approach and maybe use a hybrid of the two systems dependent on where the ball is coming from and the qualities of the opposition.

30. Norfolk Gooner says:

I’m sad that Liam Brady is set to leave our club, although he is going on his own terms, by May next year, he will be greatly missed. A wonderfully skilled player, a loyal and true “Arsenal man”. There are too few like him left in modern football.

Excellent BR
    I find it really difficult to call tonight’s game for all the reasons of consistency (both teams) that you have highlighted.

We’re good enough to win if we’re on our game.

Nice exchanges with some of the ‘Pool fans. Welcome to AA fellas.

The report about Liam says he’ll stay involved in the club.

It just sounds like he wants to retire from the full-on day-to-day.

I hope his health is OK.

33. It’s been suggested that he’s leaving when Wenger leaves. (I suggested it) :)

Off to Madrid with AW then GM?

35. I think Arsene will go quietly at the end of his contract.

Me too.

Maybe international management afterwards.

Redders, a bit late on your earlier comment @ 11.31 I know, but I am also in agreement that numbers wise at the moment we it would be difficult to accomodate a player like Suarez.

As someone else pointed out though Rosicky, at 32, is probably in the period of being phased out of regular game time. What about if we started to play the Ox more in attacking CM (which I feel may be his better position anyway), potentially rotating with Wilshere and Cazorla. This then frees up a space in the attacking front 3.

You, myself and some others were discussing the other day about Jovetic. He personally reminds me of a younger but right footed RVP who can play from the attacking wide position or the withdrawn central role. Some even say he could lead the line as well. Maybe he is the big quality signing to look at, and then let the natural phasing out of Rosicky and increased CM time of the Ox take its course.

Class Raddy

I would take Suarez, great player

Some of the Liverpool fans tried to compare his antics to some of our players and though theyve got a point you cant realy compare.

Everytime i look at Suarez and his consistent antics i theink of Tuco from Sergio Leones classic The Good the Bad and the Ugly. The blokes a villain, a wrong un, a very good shot in a spaghetti western, but never the less, a great player.

39. Peaches
    Are you able to get a spare ticket for the Sunderland away screening. I’ve used all my memberships. I’m taking half a day off.

40. Hi gm, yes I defininitely will be able to get another ticket, shall I go ahead and order one?

41. Red Arse says:

Isn’t it odd, how there is a discernible, underlying tension in the minds and behaviour of many Gooners over the outcome of tonight’s game.

The result of the match isn’t simply a black and white, win or lose equation, there is also the inevitable sense of doom, among the fans, that will accompany any loss, IF to cap it all, Arsene does not buy a new player. (Note it has come down from 2 or 3 recruits, and then to a modest 2, and now to a singularity of desire). :-)

If we lose, AND buy a player tomorrow it will be arguably OK, for most fans, but if we win tonight, and buy a player tomorrow, there will be a feeling of unrestrained ecstasy, and hopefully CL qualification will be in the bag. :-)

There is a lot riding on this game.

42. there’s also the grey area of a draw RA :)

43. As the game is on SS2 can I get an offer of a match report nice and early please ……….. ;)

44. Red Arse says:

As a follow up to my musing, yesterday, about the seemingly incomprehensible ability of so many Arsenal fans, with so many disparate and frankly totally unreconcilable views, who yet still manage to unite under the banner of ‘Goonerdom’ with a central, incontestable love and support for Arsenal, I have had another fundamentally perplexing thought.

As Arsenal fans we are a tiny minority of the totality of humankind.

So what you may say? — at least those of you who can be arsed to read my maundering on such matters. :-)

Well, you will all have seen, at some time, programmes dedicated to explaining the Big Bang theory of evolution (no, not the TV comedy show, Shard) and cannot have failed to be awe struck by the mind blowing immensity of the billions of stars in countless galaxies, and the unquantifiable numbers of galaxy superclusters, which in turn are made up of atoms, dust grains, gases all wheeling away from each other in what to us is time warping stupefaction.

Yeah, yeah! But down here on a teensy weensy bit of a diminutive planet, circling a comparatively tiny sun, a bunch of fans with a complex mixture of atoms of our own and governed by our own desires and ambitions can calmly say “fuck that — what time do the Arsenal kick off?”

We are Gooners — that’s why! :-)

45. Bryan says:

No way Big Raddy
    Not in a million years would I want Suarez at Arsenal, don’t get me wrong, he is a brilliant player but I can’t stand the cheating, coniving, did I say cheating, dirty, despicable, cheating person that he is.
    He for me, is everything that is wrong with football rolled into one.
    If I could have one top striker from any prem team it would be Aguerro or a certain brilliant dutchman, who’s name escapes me ;-)

46. Red Arse says:

You are right about the ‘grey’ draw, GM, and there is the possible combination of a loss tonight AND no new recruit tomorrow — oooer — but I thought I had probably lost any readers, already, with the options I had mentioned.

Thank God for you GM!!! :D

47. Hi Big Raddy.
    Sorry, I’m a bit thick, and had completely forgotten about RVP !!! Funny how it now seems he’s been THERE all his career.

With regard to some of the posts painting Suarez as a ‘villain’ or a ‘wrong un’, then I think it’s more like the theatrics in WWF. People close to him don’t even understand the apparent personality change when he steps on the pitch. He seems to be toning it down bit by bit though.
    If you really want a wrong ‘un, look no further than ‘players’ like Barton, who would be doing porridge if they couldn’t kick a football.

Might put on my Ray Kennedy Tshirt tonight……..
    JFT96

Jim
    Ray Kennedy – now there’s a man we can celebrate together!

49. Bryan says:

The guy is a villain & a racist, I have no time for him what so ever, he will stoop as low as you can get to get what he wants, I don’t want players like that at the team I love, even though I am craving a decent signing before the window shuts.
    Ray Kennedy now there was a decent player & human being, class

50. Norfolk Gooner says:

Ray Kennedy T shirt hmm? sounds like a bit of fence sitting there Jim. Very uncomfortable. :-)

Bryan. We will have to disagree on this. Diver – yes, though he has been better recently. Racist …. doubt it. Villain ….. perhaps.

The reason I compared him to Wrighty is that other fans hated him, not just because of his goal-scoring but because he was so controversial.

I like that in a player. It makes them entertaining and interesting. And the fact that Suarez gets you seething is the very reason I would love him at the Emirates.

But it is good to disagree :-D

RA. There is a torture machine in Hitch hikers Guide to the Universe called a Total Perspective Vortex. Here is what wiki says about it ….

“The Total Perspective Vortex is allegedly the most horrible torture device to which a sentient being can be subjected.

When you are put into the Vortex you are given just one momentary glimpse of the entire unimaginable infinity of creation, and somewhere in it a tiny little mark, a microscopic dot on a microscopic dot, which says, “You are here.”

And not only are we here, but we are also red and white!

53. arthur mallard кря кря says:

Nice one, BR.
    Should be an exciting game.

GIE,
    Have you ever worn as gay a goalkeeping hat as at the start of this clip? (playing for the Toffees, too, for our ‘Pool visitors)

54. Norfolk Gooner says:

The way the game is going at the moment when it’s seen by some that it is OK to kick a ball boy if he’s holding up play, managers can berate officials on the pitch with impunity, players can dive because it’s “part of the game” two footed tackles are acceptable, unless they break somebody’s leg, signing a player who can dive convincingly seems to be the sensible thing to do. Or am I just a bit too cynical?

Is Suarez dives tonight not only will I be spitting feathers but I will look a right Charlie…

56. Bryan says:

Big Raddy, I agree that it is good to disagree haha

57. Norfolk Gooner says:

Having watched those clips, can I ask…Why did we ever let him go?

58. arthur mallard кря кря says:

NG,
    To balance the books, what else? :)

59. Bryan says:

or cos we wouldn’t show any ambition or pay him the money ;-)
    OK leaving to head towards the Emirates, come on you gooooooners :-D

60. I don’t think Suarez is a racist at all. that word is so over used nowadays like”Islamophobia” and “Homophobia” .

Peaches, do you have an offer yet? I can knock up a little report if not

62. I’m off to the game too. see you all later

63. arthur mallard кря кря says:

Apologies if my gay goalkeeping hat comment was homophobic in any way.

64. arthur mallard кря кря says:

i’m pleased you got an alternative ticket, gm.

Mallard. I was deeply offended, but Peaches and Rasp are considering making a t-shirt in support of your right to be homophobic.

66. Red Arse says:

Arthur,

I thought you were using the word as defined in the Webster’s dictionary: happily excited : merry as in a gay mood : keenly alive and exuberant : having or inducing high spirits as in a bird’s gay spring song.

What is wrong with that? :-)

Yes please GoonerB – I will accept on peaches behalf as she is on her way to the game :P

68. arthur mallard кря кря says:

Is this song homophobic?

69. evonne says:

Blimey Raddy – the guy was knighted for killing 3 Turks? Those were the good old days :) I would definitely be a Dame or a Lady in those times

Suarez like Wrighty? Really? I have to think about it

26may once said that Suarez has a face you want to take a cricket bat to and somehow it stuck in my mind, cannot get over that obstacle.

Very good read, thank you BR

If we win tonight – AW will have a ready made excuse not to buy.
    If we lose tonight – he might buy Villa before Shitty snap him

70. arthur mallard кря кря says:

Is this song homophobic?.

71. arthur mallard кря кря says:

Feckin wordpress!

Evening all,
    So envious of all those going tonight. Enjoy the big win boys and girls.
    Right, I am in match day mode. Work pencil and rubber back in their little Thomas the Tank Engine Case, and Arsenal pants on. My head, of course :-)

I don’t think any picture will ever give me as much pleasure as that one of Mickey Thomas.
    Over to you Mallard to prove me wrong :-)

I have my lucky socks on, and about to climb into my 2010 home shirt.

Socks on ears, usual styley?

Pants on head, socks on ears, or Formal Wear as I like to call it.

77. evonne says:

you had your lucky socks on when we lost to Shitty, I wouldn’t bother if I were you :)

evonne. I buy new lucky socks after every defeat ;-)

79. arthur mallard кря кря says:

What sort of picture were you after, Micky?

80. dandan says:

Peaches 2.26 Brilliant/ superb thank you

Yippee, football

Thanks for the great read BR

82. arthur mallard кря кря says:
  83. arthur mallard кря кря says:
  84. arthur mallard кря кря says:

Glenda reminds me of my Nan.

85. arthur mallard кря кря says:

Ok, back, and in match condition.
    Have to say Mallard, they were not quite the sort of pics I thought you might unearth :-)

87. barumgooner says:

Nice post Raddy. I am so hoping Rambo has a good game again. A class player whose confidence is growing with every performance ( in his correct position). Its a good side and I think we will take the points.

Very unusual that neither LB nor Mallard are ringside.
    Welcome to the armchair Lads.

Mmm, nice, could end up just the one point behind THEM later this evening. More than likely in my book :-)

90. arthur mallard кря кря says:

I’m hating it, Micky.
    Only a one-off.

91. oz gunner says:

nice read as always BR, thank you my good man!

Interesting to see pool mix it up for this one. No sterling, skrtel, or allen.

Would have probably preferred Diaby given as how he tore them apart last time we met. Although Ramsey has performed well the last few games

92. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

Hi
    Come on the Arse !
    Much love
    Sheep Hagger™

Well done Sagna … bloody brilliant

94. Adrian says:

Once again absolute terrible defending lets us down.

95. oz gunner says:

well that was a comedy of errors. Sanga slips, Verm misses it, merts deflection. Damn you reina

I keep saying it, our defence and in particular stupid defensive errors are our problem.

97. oz gunner says:

how it keeps happening is beyond me Rasp, for seasons that sort of tom foolery has been the norm. Doesn’t make sense

Dreadful. What the hell do they do in training?

Lucky goal though. Lot of deflections

Its a pattern oz its been happening most of the season. Our coaches are obviously incapable of doing anything about it.

Gerrard playing like a one man team again, let’s hope he runs out of steam and we don’t keep trying to walk the ball into the goal.

Pool have got their tactics spot on and are ripping us apart on the counter. We’ve got to stop the slow build up stuff and be more incisive

102. oz gunner says:

Sagna ‘the kamikaze’

We need to get Gibbs in the game

104. oz gunner says:

worth every penny downing.

Sooner Gerrard retires the better ..

106. slime says:

There was a stat earlier in the season that we had given away more goals than any other team from defensive mistakes (11 at the time) and I think we are probably still top of that list. It has to stop.

Why the hell didn’t Podolski shoot? Theo playing really well.

108. Adrian says:

Wtf mertersacker?

109. Adrian says:

And sczczesny almost let us down there..

110. oz gunner says:

thought the same rasp, he has a cannon of a shot and I didn’t think the angle was that tight.

Well done on the line podolski

you’re right slim, it has too

111. oz gunner says:

nooooooooo not gibbs!!!

112. slime says:

1 pass and our whole midfield is out of the game. If we are closing down then the defence has to squeeze up too. Otherwise we leave massive holes.

113. slime says:

If Liverpool were better we’d be a few down.

114. Adrian says:

Why gibbs why.

115. oz gunner says:

mmmmm, probably would have rathered Kozzer come on and verm move to LB

116. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

It gets worse here’s Santos

117. oz gunner says:

@ Adrian

he was about due, seemed his injury free run was too good to be true!

We are a long way second best at the moment.

119. oz gunner says:

what on earth is going on?lets hope we come out in the second

Our defending is an absolute joke, do they even bother to work on it in training?

121. evonne says:

we are always better in the second half :)

Shame about the result, but what a terrific game

122. Adrian says:

Wenger better tell the players to double their efforts in the second half, especially the defending

It is a truly dreadful game evonne, we are embarrassing ourselves.

124. Adrian says:

Walcott hasn’t been getting enough of the ball, guess it doesn’t help when Sagna is playing so poorly behind him.

125. slime says:

Absolutely appalling first half and another must win game that is passing us by. How often does it have to happen before we start producing in these games?

Rasp. I think you are being too harsh. It is good game and the difference between the two teams is twofold, Suarez and our defensive stupidity

slime. Don’t you think the midfield battle is fascinating?

128. dandan says:

Come on lads it aint that bad, we could do with the bounce of the ball a bit, but we are a second half team, heads up we will be ok.

129. oz gunner says:

it is frustrating slim because after their game against Oldham nothing but 100% from us was going to get the job done.

130. Gunner8 says:

Is it me or Jamie Rednapp is a w4nker.

Sorry guys, this is a game we have to win and the difference as has been said s that they still have their world class forward and we are appalling defensively … exactly what about that is supposed to make anyone happy?

Come on Arsenal. Lets up it in the second half. My picture is pants :-(

133. Reddawn says:

Bring on Diaby and get Ramsey off.

134. oz gunner says:

Norwich are winning!

135. slime says:

BR,

It would be fascinating if we were playing well, but all I’ve seen so far is 2 midfields looking very tentative. Fortunately for us, Cazorla and Wilshere look like they could shift up a few more gears and really dominate the game, but it’s no good if we keep gifting teams goal starts. Lets hope Wenger has brought his special half time oranges again!

136. slime says:

Thank god Oz! This 4th place battle could easily be confused for a relegation battle the way the teams are playing! :)

There’s just no easy 3 points these days. I would love to have seen how the Invincibles would’ve got on in this league.

137. oz gunner says:

agreed slim, no just rocking up for the easy 3 points these days, do that and you’ll pay

138. oz gunner says:

shoot you buggers!

139. oz gunner says:

damn you agger!!!

Shame Theonis rubbish in the air. COYRRG

141. slime says:

Liverpool look nervous. If we get 1 we could win it.

142. evonne says:

we are embarassing ourselves? Come on Rasp, it’s a fast and furious game and a difficult opponent

143. Adrian says:

Fking bs. What the hell is up with this sloppy defending.

144. evonne says:

this was embarassing, I give you that Rasp

145. slime says:

When do we get that sort of luck? Pissed off

Would you like to rethink that evonne, our defending is worse than schoolboy, we should be ashamed of this defensive performance

147. oz gunner says:

god that was pathetic! Santos and Mert what the hell?

FFS that is two goals which came from deflections, but even so terrible defending from Santos

149. Adrian says:

This isn’t working, i’d like to see the ox come on.. Ffs.

150. oz gunner says:

try this one micky. bit behind but decent picture

Wenger has been presiding over this defensive decline and still he doesn’t shoulder any of the blame. He’s the problem.

The game has gone so let’s see Diaby and Ox

153. Adrian says:

Cmon you gunners!

We don’t need a deflection!

COYG

155. evonne says:

yeeeppeeee , cheer up Rasp, there is a good chance yet

156. oz gunner says:

get in boys, 2 more!!

157. Adrian says:

THEO!!! GAME ON LIVERFOOLS!

158. evonne says:

Rasp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you beauty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

159. slime says:

Giroud goal and assist! I love that boy!

evonne, I have no problem with our offensive play, that goal should have made it one all minimum, we just can’t keep giving away sloppy goals …. Theooooooooooo

Beautiful Theo. Fantastic finish.

COYG

162. Adrian says:

Big Raddy what a difference two minutes of quality makes

163. evonne says:

you are just a grumpy old man Rasp

164. oz gunner says:

come on boys! 2nd half specialists! great layoff, great finish!

165. slime says:

I said we could out score them and it looks like that is what’s needed with our defence!

166. Irishgunner says:

Jeez my mood has never changed so dramatically in the space of 2 minutes :lol:

167. evonne says:

fecking bitch Stevie Me

168. evonne says:

Irish :) Better than a shot of heroin ( I think :) )

That should have been Gerrard’s second yellow and how is it Lucas hasn’t been carded for persistent fouling?

170. Adrian says:

The ox with his deadly pace would be great now.

With Santos on the pitch we are playing with 10 men.

172. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

We in this watch

173. slime says:

Seen reds given for that Gerrard tackle. Can’t believe how a goal or two can change everything.

174. oz gunner says:

@ Rasp

because ‘no one wants to see gerrard sent off’

I bloody do, i think hes a W@#ker!

Santos is a shocker

I’m pleased to see Rambo continuing his good form and thank god we re-signed Theo

176. oz gunner says:

theo’s composure there was great to see, the theo of old would have just sprinted into a blind alley. Great patience and pass

177. Adrian says:

Cmon I’m eager to see the ox come on!

178. oz gunner says:

Henderson all over giroud there holding his arm so he can’t jump.

Hit him giroud!!!

179. Irishgunner says:

I wouldn’t know Evonne :lol:

Come on – need a late winner.

P.S. I hate Stevie Me – scum of a player

180. oz gunner says:

noooooooooooo giroud!!!!!! you had it!

Oh dear Giro, I love you, but you really should have put that away

182. Adrian says:

Giroud noo!

Can’t believe OG didn’t bury that chance

184. slime says:

You can’t tell me Wenger looks at Santos and sees anything worth keeping around.

185. oz gunner says:

come on what is this crap, time wasting of the highest order. Gerrard and suarez can discuss dinner plans later

186. slime says:

The Giroud chance took a deflection off Agger which wrong footed him.

187. oz gunner says:

i’d rather meade Slim. unfortunately the one position we don’t have good cover involves Gibbs

My god, still the suicidal defending …. WTF

189. Adrian says:

I never want to see Santos in our jersey again, almost cost us the game there with a stupid pass.

190. oz gunner says:

santos again! who is at the stadium that can dispose of him?

That’s 2 points thrown away.

192. oz gunner says:

good comeback but definitely 3 points lost!

193. Adrian says:

Why didn’t Wenger bring the ox on? I mean just look at Walcott’s pace tearing liverpool’s defence apart, imagine what the ox would do to a tiring liverpool defence in the second half. Would have liked to see Wenger be bolder bu throwing him on.

194. Irishgunner says:

Santos has to go and we need another LB in because Gibbs has too many injuries. We were pathetic at the back all night but he’s a nightmare.

We should have won that game but in a way didn’t deserve to because of the shocking defending – if that makes sense?

195. slime says:

Another 2 points gone due to not defending properly. Santos is an absolute joke. The comeback will only paper over some very large defensive cracks. I’ve never seen such appalling defending from a PL team. It’s not good enough and we desperately need a midfielder with discipline and a centre back who organises and dominates.

196. oz gunner says:

*sorry 2

Surely the last time we see Santos.

Two points dropped but fro two down I am happy.

The problems in defence are glaring and Kos has to come back with TV at left back should Gibbs be out for a few games.

Once again we started slowly, I’m sure many will make the point that they got 2 lucky deflections but we could easily have lost that game 2:4 we were so bad at the back.

Looks like we are in agreement :-)

Its the last day of the transfer window, we’ve been here many times before.

We were told at the start of January that we were looking at bringing in 2 players ……..

201. oz gunner says:

At least the scum dropped 2 also!

Rasp. Makes for exciting second halves!

We had 2 very good chances which were spurned. I fear not winning tonight will prove costly.

BTW Szczesny made a couple of brilliant saves tonight, especially the last from Suarez

203. oz gunner says:

Unfortunately we know Arsene is stubborn Rasp. I’m sure if Gibbs was out for the rest of the season he’d still play Santos for the remainder and remind us that he is a brazilian international

Rasp @ 12:38 today ……

…….. Much as I’d love to sign a top striker (and it is official we now have the money ) I am adamant the problems lie in our defence. If we fail to make top 4 it will be down to goals conceded not failure to score.

205. Reddawn says:

I think Wenger got our defencive players from Billy Smarts Circus. Week in and week out the same old stupid mistakes. Time to look for some quality players at the back and Ramsey needs to go out on lown. Some one thought he had a good game, time for them to visit the opticians!

I thought Ramsey had a good game . He began to make a few mistakes when he got tired towards the end, but Diaby hasn’t looked up to speed so I think playing Ramsey was the right decision.

207. slime says:

Positives:

Giroud scored again and set up another. Won every header.
    The Cazorla/Wilshere partnership gets stronger every game and I love it when they link up down the left with Podolski and Giroud.
    Walcott gives us a different type of outlet down the right and brings great balance.
    Ramsey was excellent again.
    Good fightback.

Negatives:

Santos is the worst professional defender I’ve ever seen. How he has made it as a left back is beyond me.
    Gibbs injury.
    The Ramsey/Wilshere/Cazorla midfield leaves us far too open to counter attacks. We desperately need a midfield general with power and presence. Fellaini would be my choice.
    Awful defending for both goals, and in general, though a lot of it came down to terrible luck with the ball falling into the paths of strikers.
    Took 45 minutes to get the tempo up again.
    Unable to push on once getting level to win the game.

There is obviously one player who will get vilified after that result but we conceded a very sloppy goal before he came on the pitch.

In the grand scheme of things, we may get away with that point come the end of season.
    Can’t argue with the comments made about our defending. Its a big “bollocks” from me that we could sneak a win towards the end.
    Its a goodnight from a seriously tired me.
    ps thanks for the link Oz. Just seen it, but I had a better second half :-)

Reddawn. I thought Ramsey played very well. Given this is the majority opinion perhaps it is you who needs to visit the opticians :-)

211. dandan says:

Super entertaining game of football, Sagna falling over again,Does that every game Why? First goal bit like pin ball, but said at half time we would come back, Pity OG didnt get a stud on that cross. We do need a pacey centre half. But not an end of the world performance. Spectrum of course will be back :-)

212. Reddawn says:

No BR,I’ve got 20/20 vision. Maybe you need to tune in your screen. It could be a tad out of focus!

213. oz gunner says:

agreed, ramsey was great once again
    @ slim

your 9.50 is bang on

@ micky

not a problem at all

214. slime says:

The interesting thing about players like Ramsey and Gervinho is that if they make exactly the same mistake as someone like Wilshere, for example, they would get absolutely slated, whereas Jack would get an ‘unlucky son’. People have formed their opinions, and only something dramatic will alter them.

215. Adrian says:

Personally I didn’t think Ramsey had THAT great of a game too, certainly no better than what Arteta was doing when he was fit. I really hoped we would’ve bring in a DM specialist but guess that wouldn’t be happening now..

One more thing, just how bad is Sagna’s form getting lately? Looked absolutely lethargic and played without confidence.. If this keeps up I would have no problem with him being sold in the summer transfer window.

216. oz gunner says:

@ Slim

Also read an article on ‘defensive errors leading to goals’ the other day. Turns out Sagna is number 1 in outfield players and Vermaelen is 5th. Ramsey is also in the top 20 for errors but thankfully none have resulted in goals

Red. Sometimes the one swimming against the tide is right., but not in this case. It’s Specsavers for you my friend :-)

Night All

218. dandan says:

AW “Will have a look overnight if I can get a left back, Gibbs out for three weeks”

219. Wenger's coat says:

If we stop making silly errors at the back we could be high up the table. There is a lack of communication at the back. I don’t know why they panic, 5 or 6 players failed to clear a simple loose ball for both goals. We should’ve won this game. a disastrous pass in the final minute from the Brazilian could’ve cost us this game. Great save from Schezney.

Am I the only person who thinks Wenger should get Adam Le Fonder. A natural finisher.

220. Re: Norfolk Gooner. No fence-sitting at all. In the T-shirt he’s wearing a Liverpool kit and I bought it from the Hillsborough shop. Can’t really get more LFC-biased than that. !!!!

Sorry Bryan, but you can’t label someone a “villain” or “racist” when there is no evidence of either. You try starting a conversation in Spanish, saying you want to violate someone’s sister, and when you don’t like the reply just convert the meaning back into English and claim mock-offence. BINGO.
    Thought he had nicked it right at the end!!

Oh well. Not a bad game in the end.
    Thanks all. Until next season.

221. barumgooner says:

We dont need a striker, Offer £20m for Baines and start playing Jenks again.

Cheers Jim
    Thanks for chatting – we always welcome non-abusive opposition fans here on AA.

Night Jim, thanks for adding to the debate, as Rocky says you’re welcome any time – I hope you make 5th :?

224. barumgooner says:

Personally I didnt think Ramsey was great but I am a masiive fan of his and he is growing into the role. He had another very good game and is definitely making a good clain for the holding position. Take away the few stupid mistakes and it was a good show all round, yet again we seem to be ill-prepared and only start to play after we get used to the opposition instead of controlling from the start.

225. slime says:

I think this PL season will definately be remembered as the one with god-awful defending! Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and others have all been pretty terrible at times in defence. We need to get a left back in tomorrow but I can’t see it. If its 3 weeks for Gibbs then I would play Sagna left and Jenks right. Or even Verm at LB. Anything but Santos!!!!

Some really negative comments during the game.

The negativity directed at our idiotic defensive mistakes is well aimed, but comments saying that we were appalling in the first half are well wide of the mark (in my opinion).

We were appalling at the back – but really quite good going forward. Far from “starting slowly”, within 10 minutes of ‘Pool going ahead we could have scored three goals. We just didn’t get the rub of the green that ‘Pool did. (Or, put another way, their defenders didn’t commit hara-kiri).

Overall I think we shaded it and could have won, but we won’t get top four unless we find a way of cutting out these stupid mistakes.

Is it down to Wenger? Bould? The quality of our defenders? Who knows, but it is becoming endemic throughout the defence.

Maybe it is just that we need a proper DM in front of them.

Sagna was awful again – his confidence looks shot, he looks slow and, as usual, whenever the ball came to him in an attacking position it was obvious the move would immediately come to an end. He needs to be removed from the front line for a while. Jenks will make mistakes but at least he can cross.

Santos – well, I can’t argue with the criticisms except to say that he tried and is clearly very rusty.

Szcz made a couple of good saves, but also did his best to gift goals to ‘Pool on at least three occasions (trying to dribble past an attacker in his own six yard box; coming for a cross that he had no chance of ever reaching – thank Dennis that Pod was on the line – and doing a classic Almunia rush-out-the-area late on that, luckily, ‘Pool didn’t capitalise on). I would love us to get an experienced ‘keeper in for a year or two.

227. barumgooner says:

What about that little hobbit at lb for a few weeks if we cant get Baines (I know…wishful thinking). I cant remember his name but he played in a cup match a couple months ago and even though he seemed to be the smallest player I’ve ever seen he did ok…better than Santos anyway..

We persisted with Almunia and he probably cost us the prem title one year.

We have shunned the chance of bringing in an experienced keeper for years now. Brad Friedl was the one we should have brought in for Almunia and he wouldn’t have cost much.

Sz will be agreat keeper but like most young players he is inconsistent. I can’t think of a suitable experienced keeper that is available at the moment. Apparently Stekelenburg is available but he wouldn’t be cheap and at the age of 30 would expect to be first choice.

229. Shard says:

barumgooner

Jernade Meade. Good shout, but he’s been injured for a while. Miquel is back though (I think) and could be an option.

I’m sure there’s no chance of getting Baines but (a) he’d be a great signing and (b) it would weaken Everton, who are becoming a real rival for Top 4.

I was pleasantly surprised and as such happy with Ramsey. Towards the end he was getting a bit tired but I thought over all he gave a disciplined performance.

Haha, you mean Meade barum. He did play well that night but I think he’s too young for the responsibility. A good prospect for the future nevertheless.

I still expect David Villa to be in Arsenal colours by the end of tomorrow.

234. we should have won that game comfortably. They didn’t look that dangerous but we gifted them 2 keystone kop goals. Sorting out our defensive lapses is more important than bringing in a striker.

LB
    Agreed. He put in a very good shift.

236. barumgooner says:

I think Sz is a good keeper, to compare him to either Almunia or Flappy would be wrong, yh he makes a few mistakes but he doesn’t lack the confidence to keep trying. To replace him now would have a detrimental effect imo. An older player to coach and act as back-up yeah but to replace…not imo.

237. slime says:

RL,

To defend myself, as I was one of those who used the word appalling, I didn’t see the first 15 minutes of the game, so I missed the chances to go in front that you speak of. A lot of things are said in the heat of battle, but from what I saw of the first half we were very poor. This was a big game against a pretty average Liverpool side, and playing like we did in the first 45 is not good enough. We have to start putting our stamp on games early and stop giving away stupid early goals.

Both Liverpool’s goals were so lucky. It was impossible for them to fall more kindly than they did. I understand the frustration but from a practical point of view how do you coach a team to avoid such things?

I agree barum, I wasn’t suggesting Sz was another Almunia, just highlighting that we don’t tend to bring in older keepers to work with the youngsters and deputise if they’re going through a rocky patch.

240. Rob Lucci says:

I think that our backfour get a little protection from our midfield this season.

There is no doubt that Arteta is a very good holding midfielder and Ramsey too have a good game tonight, but I think we miss someone like Flamini. Very good defensively but also offer a threat going forward.

LB, before both goals we gave away possession cheaply by silly errors. I agree they were lucky, but the hapless mistakes continued throughout the game and could have resulted in several more goals.

242. barumgooner says:

Slime, I dont think we were that bad at all if i’m honest, we just look at the start of games like we haven’t seen each other all week and just met up for a quick fag and a pint beforehand, then adapted as its gone along. I’ve said it before and I will say it again…..Its a pretty good squad just lacking guidance and tactical direction.

243. barumgooner says:

Fairplay Rasp, I mis-understood you. Is that another part of Arsenes reluctance to delegate authority do you think ?

244. Rob Lucci says:

n I think that Wilshere had a poor game defensively.

I am so pleased that Szcesney is flawed in the way that he is.

You do know that Caseas of Real Madrid is threatening to leave?

You do know that Victor Valdes of Barcelona is not renewing his contract?

Have you noticed the mess that stands between the posts at Old trafford?

Keep kicking the ball wayward from time to time Szescney, some of us are noticing the important stuff like the great saves you are making.

LB
    “Szcz made a couple of good saves, but also did his best to gift goals to ‘Pool on at least three occasions…”

I noticed his good work. I also noticed his (pretty poor) mistakes.

247. Santos at left back for 3 weeks will be a disaster

Rasp

For the first goal Sagna slipped, completely accidental, if Wilshere had done that everyone would have said unlucky. Or did I miss something. It was a reasonable question: how do you coach against someone slipping?

And the second? Liverpool were always going to get one or two attacks in the second half, could the ball have fallen more kindly for Henderson?

249. red nose is on TV now. His nose is worse than my dads was.

250. Sagna slipped which was unfortunate but we had chances to clear and we didn’t.

My comment wasn’t aimed at you Rocky, just something I have been thinking recently, I should have written a headline post about it but I am lazy.

252. barumgooner says:

I think it would have to be TV at lb and Kos in the middle, as you say GM relying on Santos would have me very very worried

253. slime says:

Barumgooner,

Defensively we were all over the place first half. As well as conceding, we cleared one off the line, Henderson should’ve lobbed Sz when he raced out, and Suarez could’ve squared to Sturridge who was on his own after a terrible Mertersacker pass. Fair enough we created a couple of opportunities going forward, but it still wasn’t good. I must say though that the second half was much better once we pushed the defence further forward and upped the tempo. Overall, we did alright, but lets not kid ourselves into thinking that a) this was a good Liverpool team, or b) that we are defensively sound.

Haha – get writing LB!

I’m sorry but I see a defender slipping as a mistake not an accident. They slip because they lose control or turn too quickly, either way there were more defensive errors after the slip in our failure to clear the ball that led to the goal.

256. There was a comedy moment early when Sczesney lost the ball

I would have loved him more if he had scored the sitter.

Can you imagine what peoples reaction would have been if he had done that in the first five games? Lol

258. I agree rasp. The slip was unfortunate but TV should have cleared it but did an air kick and when it came out one of our defenders could have got a tackle in.

259. barumgooner says:

Fair points Slime but is PM crap ? Is TV crap ? are Sagna and Gibbs crap ? is Santos……no forget that one. It has to be the coaching or lack thereof.

Tomatoes (English pronunciation) Tomatoes (American pronunciation)

At least with a draw we don’t have to suffer two days of Spectrum. Night, night.

262. Shard says:

Rasp,

To be fair though, Sagna had perfectly anticipated where the pass was going. It was only that the pass was mishit that led to him having to adjust. He probably still should have done better but I think the biggest error (out of a possible 4) was Vermaelen failing to clear.

263. barumgooner says:

Oh well. Could’ve been better, could’ve been worse…nevermind at least we have deadline day to look forward to ! Night all.

I agree Shard, unfortunately that has been a feature of our captain’s season. Is it the burden of captaincy or is he just experiencing a drop in form? The captain has to be strong, reliable and lead by example, I’m afraid TV is not living up to the brief – but I do like him and there is certainly no lack of effort on his part.

Maybe it’s just the rose tinteds kicking in, but mistakes like Sagna’s slip and TV’s air kick didn’t seem to happen with the likes of Adams, Bould and Campbell.

266. slime says:

Barumgooner,

I actually think we have 3 pretty good CB’s, a great LB (when fit), and a solid RB, but collectively, and with very little midfield cover, they are not doing their primary job well enough. The holding midfield area is definately one of the reasons we look so open at times, but not a lot we can do with that apart from buy someone. Your definately right that coaching is something that needs looking at, because this isn’t a new problem, it’s been happening for years even with different defensive personnel. That tells me that either the system we play is not balanced, the system is not being utilised properly, or we have got the wrong type of people in certain positions.

The other factors, espescially this season, are individual errors and bad luck, both of which reared their ugly heads tonight.

267. Shard says:

Rasp,

Yeah. I don’t think a lack of effort is the problem. Nor do I think coaching is the issue here. I genuinely believe it is only a mental issue.

Mertesacker had a bad game today too. I am surprised though to have read in the comments that people thought Sagna had a poor game. I thought he was the only one in the back 4 who was decent. I think Cazorla had a relatively poor game. Giroud was fantastic in the amount of effort he put in. If only he could have scored at the end. Oh well. At least we didn’t lose ground on Spurs and Chelsea (yes i still think they can be caught), although Everton just refuse to go away.

268. slime says:

RL,

Or was it that their defensive partners would clean up properly if a mistake was made? Verm should’ve sorted Sagna’s mess out and Ramsey nearly cleared up for his defenders for the 2nd, but for some reason neither managed to get the job done.

I still think we are due some very large slices of luck some time soon.

269. slime says:

That Varane at Madrid looks an absolute beast of a centre half!

270. Shard says:

We tried to sign Varane from Lens I think it was.. But he chose to go to Madrid.

271. slime says:

Shard,

I can see why we wanted him! He’s lightning quick, tall, strong and can tackle. Oh, and he’s 19!!!!

272. slime says:

Every player in the world is an unknown kid at some point GM, a point lost on quite a few!

273. I thought Liverpool really pressured us when we had the ball. I thought Suarez was good defensively. I think they did it much better than us for most of the game.

I thought last night was such an exciting game and I love it when we come back from seeming defeat. Football is not just about winning.

There are obvious areas for concern at AFC which need attention. Whether AW is the man to find the solutions remains in doubt.

My joy is very much tempered by us taking just 1 point from 9 from our direct rivals. January was always going to be the crux of our season and we failed miserably.

4th seems a long way off.

Morning absolutely anyone.
    I have a very good feeling about the last day of the window, and here’s why.
    I’m in the “fourth and above Totnum is a must” camp. Therefore, I couldn’t care less about who else finishes above us.
    So please, please please Dear Oilly Owners, go and offer obscene amounts of money to Everton and Spuds for Fellaini and Bale.

Ah Raddy,
    Didn’t see you sneaking in.
    Yip, 4th is certainly a worry, and also worryingly, Arsene and Bould just sit there looking deeply confused.

Precisely. Cursing the Fates doesn’t help solve the full back problems.

Were it not for the massive blow of losing Gibbs, I’d still be hoping for a commanding figure of a DM, now I’m not so sure this is the priority.
    Teams will definately target our FB’s as the wink links, and they’d be right.

A left side DM would be fine if we play 3 CB’s

I still feel we are not getting the best from Podolski playing him in this weird left mid/inside forward position.

Do you think the absence of Arteta is affecting the defence?

Well, thinks, on both comments.
    I was going to say at half time that we cannot play that midfield of JW, AR and SC as it is defensively too weak.
    Yes AR had a tidy game, but imposing it was not.
    Sure no Arteta weakens us defensively, but even he is not strong enough to enable us to play Santi AND Jack in their best roles.

Morning all.

For once i didn’t comment during or after the game and quite honestly how Wenger can say we showed quality in coming back from the brink of defeat amazes me.
    Just look at our last few games. Swansea twice, Manchester City, West Ham, Chelsea, Brighton and now lLverpool..That is the last 7 games and in every single one of those 7 we have not started playing until well after half time.
    I am not so concerned about the attack, but last night the first goal especially was a comedy of errors.
    Players are out of form or lack confidence and in the case of santos and mertesacker just not good enough.Szsney is getting the wobbles which concerns me though he made one or two decent saves.
    is it Bould, is it the loss of Rice or is it Wenger.
    the only saving grace is that most of our rivals are also dropping points but our home win ratio is no better than mid table,
    Just when we seem to improve in one area we plummet in another and as i have stated countless times a good team has to start with a solid defence.
    Liverpool aren’t a bad side but nothing special.
    Maybe there will be a last minute signing but too little too late.
    One can see this pattern of our play all season bar the first three games and it is going to be a hell of a fight to reach CL football this season.

Honestly, the Board of Advertising are just way too PC aren’t they?
    ROLF

284. Red Arse says:

Why did they ban it? :-)

Kelsey Hi,
    I really really hope those stories of Dick Laws being in Spain chatting up David Villa are wide of the mark.

286. Red Arse says:

Hi Kelsey, :-)

You are too kind saying that the defence were out of form or lacking confidence.

Santos is not a defender! Mertesecker is high on my list of the worst defenders Arsenal have ever had! [And that is not just because of last night - which was shambolic.]

Beggars belief doesn’t it RA :-)
    Must go.

None of our 3 CB’s are top quality. they’re all good players but all flawed in some way making it easy for opposition managers to exploit our weaknesses.

When you look at it the £8.5m we paid for Kozzer (an unheard of defender at the time) it looks ridiculous now, we could have bought Cahill (pre chav interest) for not much more than that.

289. evonne says:

hello young men
    the blog only slept for 6 hours! I don’t know how you can do that; I am always exhausted after a game, and that’s without even warming up on the sideline :)

Have you noticed that despite my huge gaps in footballing knowledge, I was one of the first to criticize Santos and Szczesny? Not just a pretty face me :)

So, 14 games and 7 point max to lose. How was that calculated?

290. evonne says:

Morning Rasp! I am sorry I called you names last night :(
    I love it when you get angry, it is very appealing, but leave the moaning to old women

The 6 Nations advert is really great

291. evonne says:

did you see the Balotelli back in Milan video?? OMG, only Italians can have a riot police on a standby near a restaurant super Mario visited yesterday The scenes were unbelievable, I think they are happy to have him back

When I am here on my own talking to myself,can I swear all I want?

Here’s one for you evonne ….

293. evonne says: