Arsenal To Athletico Bilbao (ize)

It is said in some quarters that Arsenal need three expensive footballers to add to the First Team Squad for us to be able to compete at the highest level. It is also said by some that our Youth Academy is a waste of time as it produces too few players who make it at the highest level. Finally, these Sayers also think that we employ too many people, both in terms of Admin as well as a bloated playing staff. Streamlining may well sharpen our cutting edge, as well as freeing up sufficient cash to afford these expensive additions. Problem is, during this cull we need to retain elements that matter.

What I say is that only a Youth Policy can produce an Adams, a Jack or a Mickey Thomas.

What these players have in common is Arsenal DNA, and in my view this really counts. These are players that go the extra mile because they are Arsenal. To produce these types of men is what the Youth System should be all about, in my opinion.

Enter Ahtletico Bilbao.

This is a relatively small club that regularly punches above its weight. They are one of only three Clubs in La Liga never to have been relegated.

They only employ Basque players, although in recent years they have widened the net to include players who can prove Basque ancestry.

So, gather round lads, here’s the plan. We slash the Admin/Player staff by, I don’t know, about 40. We retain a new sleeker Youth/Under 21 side/academy, and this part of the Club employs only those with proven Arsenal DNA.

We can, however, embellish the First Team Squad with the cream of International Stars, but our bedrock and foundations will be all Arsenal.

Can you imagine the fun in coming up with the “Prove your DNA” during the selection process, and “No”, having Arsenal posters all over the bedroom wall of your Amsterdam suburb does not qualify!

Written by MickyDidIt89

207 Responses to Arsenal To Athletico Bilbao (ize)

1. Gooner In Exile says:

Haha Micky so at the moment Jack, Frimpong, Jenkinson and Gibbo are probably true Arsenal DNA although Gibbo had a DNA transfusion after his previous DNA provider went in to administration.

There is a young gunner that I stopped following on Twitter because he was complaining about decisions against “his” team when we played West Ham, and his team was wearing claret and blue so he should be told to go forth and multiply…to be fair he was only 15 but he should be fully fledged Gooner by now :)

Szczesny is an adopted Gooner, any player who leads the fans in a rendition of We are by the greatest team surely has proven his bloodline?

2. adi mgbede says:

the premiership is very competitive i rarely see a team that can produce 3 youth players in the starting team and still win the tittle. we need to freeze many players out to get quality. u do not win trophies with potentials.

3. Gooner In Exile says:

The added benefit of Gooner DNA is that the players do not follow the manager or success, yes Gerrard and Carragher have had some success at Liverpool but what could they have achieved if their DNA did not tie them to Liverpool?

GIE, Many congrats on Young George.

5. Morning all, sorry to be a wet blanket but I think the only thing that will keep good players at a club are the prospect of winning trophies and market rate wages.

If Jack grows into the world class player we think he will be then whatever he has said in the past (I’m thinking of VanJudas)will mean nothing if the lure of doubling his wages and/or being in a title/cup winning is too much to resist.

Like I said yesterday, all I want from the players is that they give everything on the pitch in a professional manner. Anything in excess of that is just playing to the gallery.

Micky. DNA assumes AFC parentage. I have Spurs DNA ….. no,no, no

7. Chary

8. Well time will tell GM, but you refer to his tweets from a year or more ago as I believe he deleted his account a while back ?

9. Did you hear about Wenger’s pre match press conference GM ?

He said he’ll only buy “exceptional players” – they don’t need to be exceptional to be better than what we’ve got in certain positions.

He also said that no one else is leaving at the moment, so Squillacci stays…yay !

10. I stopped folloing him and blocked him quite a while back as he wound me up chary.

11. I doubt we’re buying anyone. Hope I’m wrong beacuse I think it’s a big mistake. We need a striker at least

12. What you found all those tweets plugging Fifa Pro PlayStation annoying, GM ?

13. TT says:

Talk about DNA, did anyone notice that Nicklas Bendtner got DNA replacement according to Arsenal loan watch page? :D

Wish I know how to get a screenshot and post it on here.

14. Ha ha TT, do you know who that is in place of Big Time Bendtner in the picture slot ?

15. Red Arse says:

GIE,

Jack was born in Stevenage and came to us from Luton.

DNA? He will be off to Luton the first decent offer they make!! :D

I like this post micky.

The only thing they would need to pass is the Wigan Radio test. Basicly if they are in a remote part of the country when Arsenal are playing wigan and the game is on the radio, do they make every effort to listen in.

a) if a stranger has a radio, would you duff him up if he refused to lend it to you?
    b) If a beautiful women is in bed waiting for you would you blow her out for that transistor?
    c) If the wife needs you for something important, do you pretend your single?
    d) If a man with a radio has a cardiac arrest in front of you do you nick his radio and run away?
    e) if an old friend rings up and says hes going to top himself, do you ask him to wait 90 minutes?

If you can answer yes to all these, then your worthy of the shirt.

17. chary
    No it was the tweets about john terry deserving a CL medal “for the career he’s had”. I also took exception to him showing off about his watches and jewelry when so many fans find it too expensive to go to games.

18. Oh right, I didn’t see those tweets GM, I suppose the one about his jewelry was a bit like the turtle faced drug cheat(aka Rio Ferdinand) and his tweet about “spare a thought for me in a hotel staying in on New Years Eve while you all party”.

Jack’s DNA may be West Ham as he’s from a family of West Ham fans I believe.

And just as I thought Wenger says this ““We now have Rosicky and Diaby available again. If you look at our squad, it’s quite complete..”

So Diaby back, Theo (soon to be)signed up, Djourou and Chamakh loaned out and we are good to go ??

Errrr….

Looks like he tried to spread his DNA.
    Why would he get a warning – sounds pretty normal to me?

………………………………………………………………………………

In March 2011, Wilshere received a police warning for spitting on a taxi driver, who happened to be wearing a hat of Arsenal’s rivals Tottenham, after the driver refused to drive him home because he was too drunk

20. TT says:

Chary, it’s Benik Afobe, I believe.

21. Oh right TT, another botch up by Arse.com, lol.

From Arsenal.com

…………………………………………………………………………………

Wenger ‘optimistic’ over Walcott situation

Press conference
    Wenger faces the media ahead of Manchester City game

Get Arsenal Player

By Chris Harris

Arsène Wenger is “optimistic” that Theo Walcott will sign a new contract with Arsenal.

The England international has been in fine form this season and reports this week suggested that Walcott was ready to extend his stay at Emirates Stadium.

Wenger remains cautious but confident that Arsenal’s top scorer will commit his future to the Club.

“Discussions progress smoothly but slowly,” he said. “We are on a good road but in this situation, as long as nothing is signed, you are cautious.

“But I am optimistic we will get to a happy conclusion. I was optimistic last week, but I am a bit more optimistic this week.”

Wenger confirmed at his pre-match press conference that Walcott’s future will be resolved by the end of January and added that a new deal was not reliant on assurances that the 23-year-old will play in his preferred centre forward role.

“No, it is not linked with that,” said Wenger. “I believe that Theo can have a preference maybe to play through the middle but first of all he never made a condition of that to extend his contract, because certainly I would not accept it.

“Secondly he was always happier when he plays, whether it is on the flank or through the middle. That has no influence at all.

“No [I didn't make assurances], and he didn’t make a condition of it as well. But I see him playing more up front, yes.”

[Friday, January 11, 2013]
    I like this

23. Gooner In Exile says:

And GN5 according to Liam Brady Wilshere is teetotal so the story was …… bollocks! I think the truth was he was trying to stop a fight as well and a whole bunch of them got hauled in. Like many other 18-19 year olds on a night out.

RA you are right at the grand old age of 9 it was probably too late to convert him!

24. EP says:

The last bit that u wrote – “having Arsenal posters all over the bedroom wall of your Amsterdam suburb does not qualify”

I think that foreigners can also be loyal and have ‘Arsenal DNA’ as you describe it. Look at Bergkamp- he’s from Ajax and yet was very loyal to the Arsenal side until the end. Szeszny isn’t from London but he’s stated that he’s an Arsenal fan and will stay to fight for the team.

Also, people like Cashley Cole were from the Arsenal academy but didn’t turn out to have any loyalty whatsoever.

I don’t think it matters where a player is from. If they are loyal then they are loyal.

GIE,

I just read another article stating that Jack was a tea totaler.
    But you have to admit that he has a unique way of spreading his Arsenal DNA……………

26. Red Arse says:

CharyB,

I spoke to a friend today and he was unusually truculent in his comments about a mutual friend of ours. I said perhaps we could meet up for a game of cards tonight and a drink (for them) :-) and he replied, not if ‘x’ is coming too.

Weird! Anyway, he then admitted his bad temper had nothing to do with our friend, and everything to do with his disappointment with no news on AFC transfers, and the news that the Spuds and Chelsea were in the ‘market’.

He came out of his funk when he realised he was being a pillock, and promised to apologise to x when we meet up.

It is amazing how much ‘good’ or ‘bad’ news about Arsenal transfer business. or the lack thereof, affects normally sane, well adjusted, adult, Arsenal supporting males — and perhaps females too. :-)

GN5 has reported the AFC version of the interview, but what they do not say, and that I heard reported on the radio, was that Arsenal had two players for each position, and he would not buy until someone was sold, but his main priority was to keep those he already had. [Contradictory? - maybe.] The other point he made was that he would only buy an ‘exceptional’ player but could not find one.

He is naturally playing his cards close to his chest, but it will only set the Speculums of the world off on another rant.
    Preferably not on this blogsite, please!! :D

27. vp says:

I admire your optimism but I don’t see many top players sticking around and finishing their careers at Arsenal unless things change. The club has lost its ability to inspire and the only people falling for their BS is us the fans, which is why our top players keep leaving time after time. We can only pray that the ‘stepping stone’ culture has not filtered down to the youth team; although one would suspect it has.

It will take a long time for a ‘loyalty culture’ to be re-embedded, and may prove extremely difficult given the unforgiving money fueled industry that the game has become. I think that the ramifications from our policies over the past decade are yet to be fully realized, and will continue to discount future gains in years to come.

Any organization/club which fails to implement performance related rewards and benchmark them to industry standards are invariably fighting a losing battle. We are hoping that the FFP will help us achieve exactly that. It’s just a shame that the only people on the planet who believe this are the ones in charge of the club’s strategy.

In essence, we are relying on our regulators to retain, motivate and attract OUR employees – how lame is that. What’s worrying, Glazadis recently pointed out that there is no other contingent strategy in place. If we really want to strengthen our DNA, First and foremost, we need to get rid of our poor gene pool of serving directors, starting with the chairman!

28. Red Arse says:

I have yet another very handsome (so he tells me) friend, whose morals are slightly promiscuous, and I am convinced he is trying, and succeeding, in spreading his DNA far and wide too!! :D

A mid-day chuckle.

…………………………………………………………………………………

Stories Told to Travel Agents…

A client called in inquiring about a package to Hawaii. After going over all the cost info, she asked if it would it be cheaper to fly to California and then take the train to Hawaii?

I got a call from a woman who wanted to go to Capetown. I started to explain the length of the flight and the passport information when she interrupted me with, “I’m not trying to make you look stupid, but Capetown is in Massachusetts.” Without trying to make her look like the stupid one, I calmly explained, “Cape Cod is in Massachusetts, Capetown is in Africa.” Her response….click.

A secretary called in looking for hotel in Los Angeles. She gave me various names off a list, none of which I could find. I finally had her fax me the list. To my surprise, it was a list of hotels in New Orleans, Louisiana. She thought the LA stood for Los Angeles, and that New Orleans was a suburb of L.A. Worst of all, when I called her back, she was not even embarrassed.

A man called, furious about a Florida package we did. I asked what was wrong with the vacation in Orlando. He said he was expecting an ocean-view room. I tried to explain that is not possible, since Orlando is in the middle of the state. He replied, “Don’t lie to me. I looked on the map and Florida is a very thin state.”

I got a call from a man who asked, is it possible to see England from Canada? I said, “No.” He said “but they look so close on the map.”

Another man called and asked if he could rent a car in Dallas. When I pulled up the reservation, I noticed he had a 1-hour layover in Dallas. When I asked him why he wanted to rent a car, he said, “I heard Dallas was a big airport, and I need a car to drive between the gates to save time.”

A nice lady just called. She needed to know how it was possible that her flight from Detroit left at 8:20am and got into Chicago at 8:33am. I tried to explain that Michigan was an hour ahead of Illinois, but she could not understand the concept of time zones. Finally I told her the plane went very fast, and she bought that.

A woman called and asked, “Do airlines put your physical description on your bag so they know whose luggage belongs to who?” I said, ‘No, why do you ask?’ She replied, ‘Well, when I checked in with the airline, they put a tag on my luggage that said FAT, and I’m overweight, is there any connection?” After putting her on hold for a minute while I looked into it I came back and explained the city code for Fresno is FAT, and that the airline was just putting a destination tag on her luggage.

I just got off the phone with a man who asked, “How do I know which plane to get on?” I asked him what exactly he meant, to which he replied, “I was told my flight number is 823, but none of these planes have numbers on them.”

A woman called and said, “I need to fly to pepsi-cola on one of those computer planes.” I asked if she meant to fly to Pensacola on a commuter plane. She said, “Yea, whatever.”

Hahaha

Great stuff GN5.

31. You’re right Redders( @12.05), saying stuff like “my squad is complete” is bound to wind gooners up as they will say “how can it be complete if it’s a team that’s 6th in table, knocked out of a Cup comp by 4th tier opposition and lost to the likes of Swansea, Norwich and couldn’t beat a poor Villa side ?”

Wenger doesn’t help himself with remarks like that.

Nowadays it takes longer and longer for me to stop sulking during/after transfer windows.

And how did we go from “I will be busy in the transfer market” to “My squad is complete” in the space of a fortnight ?

32. vp says:

Charybdis1966

He’s as much of a politician as he is an economist. His press conferences are becoming and harder and harder to digest. I think that while the older generation are perhaps more virtuous and patient, having experienced the more tougher times in our history. I don’t know how much more the younger fans can stomach.

33. vp – I wish he would just stick to being a Football manager.

34. adimgbede@yahoo.com says:

I do respect Mr Wenger for his inputs in football but he thinks he knows too much. The past eight years he has been an un accomplished politician and a shrewd businessman. In no distant time all his theories and logics will fail. Not guadiola, Ferguson or Mourinho can deliver with his now ” complete” side.
    Sent from my BlackBerry wireless device from MTN

35. Gus says:

What is wrong with all of you hating on jack? Jack wilshere is a Gooner and a class act. He may have west ham sympathies because of his family. I have sympathies with other clubs because of my family. As for John terry, yes he is a wanker to us, to wilshere he’s a team mate. Is it wilshere’s fault that ticket prices are high, should he donate his money to us? Remember his tweet bet that we would finish above Tottenham or he would pay money to charity?

He gives absolutly everything, everytime he pulls on the jersey. You can see the determination in his eyes. He cares.

He has got arsenal DNA, but so did cashley.he’s a modern footballer. He may well prove to be a twat, playing us for fools and I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest. We’re not naive anymore, not after what we’ve been through these past few seasons. But we can’t hold anything aganist the boy that he hasn’t yet done!

36. evonne says:

Gus – what? Who hates Jack? We adore him, are you sure there arent some cross wires somewhere?

37. Gus says:

Goonermichael: “I actually think that Jack will piss off first decent offer he gets. I think he’s a knob. I know he gives everything and he loves Arsenal but his tweets tell me he’s a plonker. Probably get slated for that.”

38. evonne says:

AW on TW situation : “I was optimistic last week, but I am a bit more optimistic this week.”
    ha ha ha ha, got to love the man

Micky – I will have your post for desert after tea, speak later

39. evonne says:

Gus – aaaahhh, GM!! that’s ok Gus, don’t worry, GM hates everybody at one stage or another :)

40. Gus says:

Hahaha ok that’s good to know evonne. I was wondering if we are really that scarred from rvp et al

Arsene is truly becoming infuriating lately. He always has been repetitious at conferences: hand breaks, jadedness, lacking a little bit sharpness. But during the transfer Windows it goes to a whole new level: he wants to focus on keeping the players he has, bringing people back from injury, he is not close to signing anyone but when he does we will be the first to know. Only signing ‘super quality…

41. Gus, that’s the thing, in certain spots we don’t need super quality to improve on what we have.

42. Bryan says:

I have stuck up for Wenger as long as the “Wenger Out” brigade have been on his case but if we do not make any signings in this window, I want him to move upstairs at the end of the season because there is no way this squad is good enough for Arsenal & if he can’t see that I think he has lost it.
    The players under him can’t even seem to get motivated & I am sick to death of him playing players out of position (Ramsey on the wing while Ox stays on the bench agains Swansea in cup, what a joke)
    Going back afew years (the year Eduardo broke his leg) I think we would of probably won the league that year if he added a couple of new faces but as usual he said we were strong enough.
    & I wish for a bleeding change we got in early in the transfer market instead of waiting for the last few days.

Goonermichael,
    To be fair, Jack is a young lad with far to much money.
    We all do & say stupid things when we are young, give the guy a break, I don’t think he’ll piss off 1st opportunity but I think players should be careful what they say about loving the club & wanting to stay forever because when the cash is flashed it seems none of them are have any loyalty.

43. Gus says:

Chary, I actually have no idea what he means when he says that. What is a super quality player? The squad can be strengthened, just do it.

Things arsene has said lately: we will be very active in the market, I will look to strengthen everywhere, let’s sort out walcotts contract first, the market will be calm, I can afford 90% of players, my squad is complete, I have always said the priority is to get players back to full fitness.

Aghh! It’s enough to drive anyone insane.

44. Gus, I’m already nuts and there’s still 3 more weeks of this transfer window left ! :(

Can anyone give me a list of “exceptional quality” players that may be available that we could be interested in and then tell me if they don’t have an exceptional price tag on them or will command exceptional wages, because those are the only players we are normally in the market for.. Aside from the very rare bargain for me that says we are basically not in the market at the exceptional end of things and are therefore not in the market full stop. The statement only being in for exceptional players is at direct odds with our policies on finances. Contradictory if you like. I am sure Redders has a better linguistic definition for this type of contradiction. Over to you in dictionary corner sir Red Arse.

Congratulations Micky on a good thought provoking topic.

46. Gus says:

Bryan, as arseblog has been saying, think back to 2003-04, arsenal 2nd in the league, a team with pires, ljungberg etc and arsene breaks the arsenal transfer record to bring in Reyes and it gives us a boost. If he could see that that team needed strengthening, why can’t he see that this much worse current team could also do with strengthening

47. Bryan says:

GoonerB
    I wouldn’t worry about that because what he says & does are 2 seperate thing lol

48. Bryan says:

Gus
    Yep exactly,
    if he can’t see it, he needs to let someone else have a go

49. Red Arse says:

Guys, it could just be that Arsene is being cute with the competition.

Everytime we are linked with a player, (presumably the agent’s big mouth), Manure come sniffing around — Smalling, Jones and now Zaha.

So it stands to reason that AW is just playing the long game and keeping his cards face down!!

Told my buddy that this morning and it cheered him up. You too? :D

Maybe AW should have a PR guy or gal in the interview room (like SAF does), to head off the sort of questions – and therefore his specious answers – that get him into trouble with the fans?

50. Red Arse says:

Bryan your 3:02,

With the apple on his head, that’s what the short sighted William Tell’s son said to him. :-)

51. Bryan says:

Red
    If he wants a player & doesn’t want Manure or anyone else sniffing around them, there is a great solution to stop that………………………
    Go & sign the player before anyone else gets a bloody chance ;-)

52. Gus says:

You’re probably right RA, I hope you are!

53. Gus says:

It must be a kick in the teeth everytime your carefully scouted players gets swept off to other clubs. Especially with all the money that goes into pur scouting networks

54. Gus says:

Maybe we should send scouts to watch some flops, give a few hints to the media and then watch as the man utds and chelseas of this world scramble to buy the mediocre players and waste all their money!

55. Bryan says:

Sadly Gus the flops are the ones we buy lol Chamakh, Squilaci Gerviho, anyone ;-)

56. Bryan says:

Adrian Lopez, M’Vila, Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa & Zaha & I’ll be happy haha or alternatively Falcao hahaha, then I woke up :-D

Nice one Micky

But I have a question: can Arsenal DNA be acquired later in life: do Dennis and Thierry have Arsenal DNA? (They certainly weren’t born with it).

Maybe AW will surprise us all in the transfer window, but the noises he’s making sound very familiar (hence Arseblog’s “Groundhog Day” Post today).

I hope Redders is right and he is playing his cards close to his chest, but it’s starting to sound just like every other recent January.

He is the Boss and he might be right that we are strong enough – and just need a bit more confidence. I’m not convinced…

59. Redders @ 3.29 I know he is playing some sort of bluffing game with potential sellers but would it not be better to say something along the lines of “I am always on the look out for players who will improve my squad, as< I should be, and will let you know when thew time is right" because what he says at the moment can antagonise a lot of Gooners.

So why should he care if he winds up some fans ?

Well supporters are the heart of the club and if you start to lose them the slippery slide to further unrest and lower attendances may happen.

Perhaps he should have a PR chap(pesse) next to him to help him out with certain questions guaranteed to get him angry (like when he responded to one with: "“We have no problem with players wanting to join us. I’ll give you my phone for 24 hours!") – but I suspect he would find that an affront to his position.

60. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

Hi
    Wats the news on Th€o.
    Just got home,have we signed anybody.

61. SheepH – Wenger is “more optimistic” than a week ago on Theo and we don’t need to sign anyone because our squad is complete.

62. 26may1989 says:

Like it micky, well done.

But you know I’m a pedant, right? That is, after all, the character fault that most lawyers have. It’s very annoying really, even for me, but there you go…

Anyways, assuming the aforementioned Amsterdam suburb was a reference to Brave Sir Robin, he’s actually a Rotterdammer.

Sorry about that.

Some good news re Sunday: I’m taking my daughter, and she has a great record: 12 games attended, 11 wins, 1 draw, 0 defeats. So that’s that then, three points in the bag (or at least one).

63. Bryan says:

As I said earlier, If Wenger does not sign any players this window, he has lost my support for him – like he cares ;-)

64. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

Charly
    Does he mean this.?
    – Wenger and we don’t need to sign anyone because our squad is complete rubbish .?

65. Bryan says:

26may, I played Man City online at Fifa13 last night & said what ever the score is will be the score on Sunday, we won 4-2 so that indeed is that :-)

66. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

Last time city beat arsenal,bucks fizz were no1 in the pop charts
    Making your mind up
    It was wrote for Mr Wenger

Has Bitscore been working?

Afternoon all,
    Comment of the day to Transplant :-)
    I did say we could have the overseas boys straight into the first team squad, but still very disturbed to hear that our Raddy has Spud DNA. Nothing a blood transfusion couldn’t correct.
    If Jack has stopped Twitting, maybe he’s growing up, and I say let’s not judge Arsene until the window judges however familiar the noises :-(
    Off to look on exchange. Cannot wait till Sunday, as I’m convinced we will win comfortably :-)

69. jnyc says:

I cant see anything bad about having players who love the team. But do we really need litmus tests about family afiliations and such as some are suggesting.

70. Bryan says:

BR
    No Bitscore is gone , don’t think there be coming back this time

71. jnyc says:

—interesting Micky. Let me say about the re- signings of our young British players, i was happy, but although i have been a defender of Ramsey, im not so sure about him now. Maybe he is not being used right by Wenger. —i actually do think we should stay open to loaning him out. —

72. Bryan says:

Ramsey not being used right is an under statement because he certainly aint no winger

Oh Nooo
    I thought Exchange shut 24 hrs before KO. The Bassssterd is shut already :-(

74. SPECTRUM says:

The story behind my starting to follow Arsenal since 1989. It’s quite simple. Before then, I liked football in general, but didn’t follow any particular team. But I did hate Liverpool, who were winning everything at the time, and dominating before too. So I was looking for a team to follow. When we went to Anfield that day, I vowed that if Arsenal somehow won, and stopped Liverpool from winning yet another title, then I would adopt the Gunners as my official club. When they did, I was over the moon, and that’s how it happened.

Since then we have had our ups and downs, Wenger came along later and transformed us. Three titles, ( one unbeaten ), and some cups, and I adored him as much as you. Sadly I’ve watched his and the club’s, steady decline from 2005 onwards, to the point where now I have lost all faith in his ability to ever achieve a fraction of what he did. In fact, I’m convinced that he’s damaging the club by staying as long as he has, when it’s apparent to any objective observer that he’s changed into a vain, obsessive, stubborn man. He’s lost any respect and affection I had for him, with his continual neglect of the team’s needs, his inept tactical and man management, and general incompetence. Frankly, I now want him out, so that we can start afresh, and actually COMPETE to be WINNERS again, not be content to settle for mediocrity as he wants us to do.

Of course the board are to blame for a lot as well, but Wenger is the manager, and as such, needs to be held responsible and accountable. This applies to ANY manager. We should not elevate ANY individual over the interests of THE CLUB, whether it be A.W. or Joe Bloggs. But at Arsenal that is what has happened. It’s a disgrace. By their ( now irrational ) support of Wenger, the A.K.B.’s are condoning this situation. Their sentimental affection and cult worship for his past deeds, has blinded them to the reality of the more recent past, and present. That is what gets the realists ( “Doomers” as you like to call us ) so angry.

So that’s my background, just to set the record straight. And to give you some insight into why I come across the way I appear to you on here. Mainly borne from frustration at the direction we’re headed in under the current regime. I want our club to prosper, but it can’t until the whole set up is changed.

75. SPECTRUM says:

As for my catchphrase that gets so many of you upset – It’s not so much that the phrase itself is offensive to you, but the fact that it goes to the heart of what I described in my post above. Anything that remotely holds Wenger responsible, is considered sacrilege and unthinkable to many of you. Even when the term “rust”, describes the situation accurately.

If we’re stagnating, which we clearly ARE, not winning anything for years, which we clearly HAVEN’T, and have NO PLAN to turn things around, isn’t that analagous with something deteriorating – “rusting”, even ?

I think a lot of you need to wise up, and fast.

” In Arsene we rust.”

Spot on about the Brave reference. Its that DidIt’s lack of research once again. I wouldn’t let the lazy sod anywhere near writing a post if I had my own site.
    Still, great news indeed about your daughter.

Where’s Chas, or Peaches for that matter. I need a ticket :-(

78. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

On the Ramsey point I have many friends that are Cardiff city fans.
    And when we signed him from Cardiff they all said you have had a bargin with Ramsey he’s a great player for CCFC.
    I had only seen him play for Wales so I could not really comment.

He has come to the EPL and he has found it to be a Different gravy from the championship,he’s struggling in the big leauge.

He was made Wales captain but he had that taken off him as he was struggling with being captain .

So it got taken off him and Ashley Williams is now captain the Swans centre half.
    And he’s a far better player than Ramsey but let’s not forget
    Ramsey is only young and I’m hoping he can improve at Arsenal but playing him on the wing Is not going to help him ,it will hinder him.

79. Bryan says:

I can’t understand Wenger’s decisions on playing slow cumberson players on the wings. Done the same with Bendtner & he already wasn’t that good in his proper position but It is unaceptable when you have a winger sitting on thr frigging bench

Micky
    Doesn’t our mutual chum have any spares?

81. SPECTRUM says:

If Wenger’s press conference sounds familiar, that’s because it is. Same double talk, same misleading and contradictory statements, the usual assurances that we’re looking, but surprise ! – “haven’t found that quality player yet”. There are plenty of players out there who can improve on what we have now. He just has to stop “looking” and start BUYING. He just said “we can afford 90% of them” ! So what are you waiting for, Arsene ? For the price to come down, no doubt.

But when you hear the bull about “our squad is complete”, and ” we have a good team.”, it tells you that he’s intending to make do ( AGAIN ). He’s setting us up again. The man has a phobia about spending. He wants to prove to everyone that he can win things with the inadequate squad we’ve got. Pure egoism.

Remember last month he said ” We will be very active in the transfer window.” ? Looks like another of his lies based on the evidence so far. He might make one signing to placate the fans, which is like throwing a bone to a hungry dog. He’s playing with us, because he’s an arrogant, lying so and so.

82. vp says:

Bryan

Two words- cost cutting. Lets remember that the reason we bought Podolski is not because he’s a brilliant left winger by trade but because he can be used as a center forward, saving the club the need to splash out on a new striker. It is no coincidence that most of our wide players are CM’S as this makes good’ Economic sense’. I wouldn’t waste my time trying to make ‘football sense’ of any of the recent decisions our manager makes.

83. Bryan says:

Spectrum
    I would also say that the team he has got, under performs consistantly, has no will to win & he does not seem capable of motivating them,he is the manager, so the buck stops with him.
    I’m by no way like you as I believe his hands are tied by the unambitious board & think he does wonders to get us into the CL each year but If he does not spend in this window, it is deffinately time for him to leave or step upstairs ;-)

84. Bryan says:

VP
    Two words – Tight Ass ;-)

85. evonne says:

Spectrum – it is only 11th Jan, plenty of time buy and sell a couple of squads. I think he will buy and if he doesn’t it might be because something went wrong during negotiations, not because he is a scumbag you have described above.

I still have full respect for Wenger and feel offended when he is referred to in such derogatory terms. Tone it down, he is the manager of our club and we ought to be supporting him, not throwing wild accusations

86. Gooner In Exile says:

The problem with using Reyes as an example of how Wenger used to spend money is that if he had bought him last year he would be on the “get rid” pile with Gerv and Arshavin.

Maybe it’s a case of once bitten twice shy, in Arsenes case he has been bitten too often at the top end.

“Moaning fans kill this club”

87. SPECTRUM says:

vp – Hi. Good to see that you’ve seen through him. As he continues to demonstrate his increasingly erratic and eccentric behaviour, hopefully many more will do the same. Surprised it’s taken so long. But they say progress can be slow.

88. Bryan says:

Been good on here today, I’m off now & am looking forward to cheering the boys to victory on Sunday :-D Come on you Reds

89. Red Arse says:

Did anyone get the club’s official 2013 diary as a Xmas present?

Just asking? :-)

90. vp says:

Gooner In Exile

I think that its the lack of moaning and pressure from the fans on the board and sub management as to why we’re in this predicament.

And you’re right. He always cocks up the big signings and that can’t be good for confidence . None the less, if he is not prepared to spend the money available to him then we need to find someone who is.

91. Red Arse says:

Good stuff from you too, Bryan. :-)

92. evonne says:

vp – so you want a manager that is prepared to spend the money? That’s easy and Rafa is probably your obvious choice. He bought during his reign at Liverpool 77 players (1 with a broken leg). That’s 7 full squads. What do you recon? Rafa to Arsenal?

93. Gooner In Exile says:

VP why do fans moan more about manager than board? Because manager takes the flak for the board, hence why they won’t remove him.

But here’s the thing fans like Spectrum appear to have no love for Wenger and that is what many of us find offensive. How can we not love a manager who gave us more than I could ever have wished for as a fan when I started supporting them?

94. SPECTRUM says:

evonne – You don’t seem to be aware of the polarisation and passions that Wenger’s comments and conduct arouses in some fans. You might think he deserves your support, but many don’t agree with you. When emotions are inflamed, as happens when we are misled and lied to ( have you been reading the news reports, not just his press conferences ? ) then you can expect people to react accordingly.

Wenger has already wasted, repeat WASTED eleven days of the window already, by insisting on tying Walcott to a new deal BEFORE signing anyone else ! Why can’t he do BOTH at the same time ? Why has it even taken this long ? While we desperately need new blood, the longer he takes means the better players – the ones that could make us better – are being snapped up. He even said that he thinks the Walcott saga will be over in a few weeks ! Weeks ? By then the window will be ( conveniently for him ) closed. What a weird and irresponsible way to do business. Can you understand why we get so mad ?

95. Wonderman says:

Hi spectrum ,

If you owned a corner shop which then had a Tesco Express move in 100 yards away, I take it you accept that the economical landscape for you would have been altered, as Tesco has superior buying power and probably a would be able to tempt your staff away with higher pay….sound familiar ?

Anyone who has ever bought a bigger property than their previous one with a mortgage is well aware of a) the strain on cash flow the new higher payments can bring and b) the unexpected costs that keep coming and coming… Some people end up trading down their car or taking less holidays to accommodate. So imagine if after you’ve just strained to buy a bigger house the guy next door ( who’s minted) starts offering all the local tradesmen treble wages …don’t you think that would effect your project …. are you with me?

Has Wenger made mistakes ? Of course he has
    Are some of us getting frustrated at
    a) 70 minute substitutions
    b) players playing out of position
    c) top players leaving season after season ? Of course we are

For you to assert we are in decline is non sense, you re not even comparing like with like. How do you KNOW there is no plan? You don’t !

You claim he is inept tactically how so ?

I am pissed off that we sold Van P to Man U, and would love to know the truth behind that one day but the reality is we are 2 points worse off than last season , 10 goals better off (goal diff wise) and the same league position…. How can any objective person claim we are in decline?

96. Red Arse says:

Hi Wonderman, :-)

Where do you get the patience from?

97. SPECTRUM says:

Gooner In Exile – Read my 4:25 post again ( second and third paragraph ). It TELLS you how. Not that hard to understand, I would think.

98. evonne says:

Spectrum – and many would not agree with you, the right to an opinion is the beauty of a democracy. You are right, I seldom read news reports and that’s because I neither trust nor believe them.

And that explains why you think that Wenger is lying to us – you read and believe what you have read in the media, and feel let down when their fabricated truths do not materialise. The media are the culprits who leech on gullible punters and stir negative emotions. Do you really want to end up hating Wenger? Then listen to TalkShite radio on daily basis for a few weeks

99. vp says:

Spectrum

I can see why you have taken a distaste to Wenger. I think that your frustration is born out of the fact he operates with total impunity, much like mine. The fact that he was involved in selecting our CEO (his boss) kind of says it all.

But my real anger stems to those actors up top who often use Wenger as a tool to persue personal agenda, and think that the problem is much bigger then Wenger in the shape of MR KROENKE.

100. One of my clients brought in Gazidis. Wenger didn’t selct him at all.

101. 26may1989 says:

Here’s a good one: “No, I’m 55 years old actually. Supported the Gunners since 26th May 1989.”

Donchya just love it??!

Evening all, have a good weekend one and all.

Spectrum

I am actully begining to pity you. Some one mentioned you live in Australia, is that correct?

It must be very hard for an Arsenal fan living thousands of miles away. The Dis-Connect is hard to cope with. In your case i feel it has made you bitter, and slighly detatched from reality. is your only communication with fellow Gooners via Internet forums? Are you friends with other Gonners in Oz?,have you ever been to a game?

Imagine if you lived in north london and some one offered you a ticket to tommorows game. Would you snap it up and turn up with a loud speaker reciting one of your Wenger monologues, or would you go filled with joy that you could see a great game of football and enter a magnificent stadium, that Wenger helped to create, and cheer the lads and manager to victory.?

Your disconnect has confused you. if you go to matches its not like posting on the internet. i have friends in the crowd that i have know for 30 years. This gives us a sense of perspective, that ime sorry to say you are lacking.

Please get a grip of yourself. This is not how genuine Arsenal or infact any other clubs fans behave.

Do it for your self. not for anybody else.

103. Wonderman says:

Hi RA, no need for patience, as you know I don’t comment on here every day but I read it most days and have done for ages. I’m just waiting to see wether I get a response. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but when you start calling people “tactically inept” that suggest you are tactically educated and more over privy to what our tactics are in the first place… Both of which I doubt…but we will see

In Arsene we glimmer lol

104. slime says:

Any praise for Wenger for not paying ridiculous amounts of money to loan Sahin? No? Ok, just checking!

I admit I jumped on the Sahin bandwagon, just because it would’ve been nice to sign someone, but I think Wenger proved he knows more about players than me! What a shock! :)

105. The font says:

Mbia Lopez butland and an unknown

106. SPECTRUM says:

Wonderman – Sure there’s no denying we’ve been financially handicapped to a certain extent. But the board exaggerate the effects of this in order to justify their lack of ambition, and to continue their priority of putting profit ahead of onfield success. We’re a business, yes. But we’re primarily a sporting ( football ) club first. The Swiss Ramble report on Arsenal’s finances is revealing. Look it up.Better still, here it is ;

http://swissramble.blogspot.com.au/2012/10/arsenal-song-remains-same.html They report in a balanced way, but it reveals how we could and should, be doing better for a club of our size.

The crazy wage structure has also crippled us. If this was run more sensibly, we’d have more money to spend. ( Not that Wenger would use it, of course ).

There can’t be a plan. If there was, why hasn’t the board announced it, other than to state that Financial Fair Play ( F.F.P. ) is what they are holding out for ? That won’t work, as clubs are already finding ways around it. Gazidis has publicly said that there IS NO contingency plan if F.F.P. fails.

You don’t think he’s tactically inept ? You really must have your eyes shut then. Do you ever watch the matches ? Read the blogs….or just this one ? The evidence is plentiful, if you look. It’s even discussed on here. I went over this in one of my posts on here yesterday. Look it up.

There’s no doubt we’re in decline. You’re basing your denial on just THIS season. Wake up ! This has been going on for eight trophyless YEARS. Every campaign the trend shows a downward slide. Inconsistent performances, losing to teams we should be beating easily, unmotivated players not performing, finishing 19 points behind the champions last term, and 18 points behind the leader already at only the half way stage in this. Our best players leaving in frustration at the club’s lack of ambition and spending ( Van Persie, Fabregas, Clichy, and arguably, Nasri ),8-2 humiliation at the hands of United – a result that ALONE should have resulted in instant dismissal for Wenger, our worst start in 58 years in 2011/12, and our worst in 30 years this year. Hardly progress is it ? And there’s much more. Honestly, no offence meant, but some of you really are ignorant of the facts, and have very short term memories.

107. SPECTRUM says:

26th May – I already explained that earlier, if you bothered to even read it. No-one supports a club FROM BIRTH, you know. Every potential football fan chooses a club to support at some point in their lives, for whatever reason. I gave mine. Your attempt to mock me shows how juvenile you are. Grow up and move on.

108. The font says:

Spectrum
    What planet are you from in most football family’s it is passed down if you love your family and they love you you listen to what they tell you and when my daughter ( home and away supporter ) looks at the very first photo that was taken it shows her wearing a gunners hat when she was less than an hour old and when she has her kid it will be repeated were already 4 generations in we love the club not the players not the manager not the trophys but the like minded people who go to cheer the team on win or lose its a community a. Way of life

109. SPECTRUM says:

TERRY MANCINI HAIR TRANSPLANT – Cut out the patronising, please. I get my news and information from the same sources as everyone else. The difference is we interpret the events much differently. Do you ever go on other forums beside this one, or actually debate with them ? I come onto this one, don’t I ? That’s why I took the username of Spectrum – I try to see all sides, and after having done so, then decide what’s right or wrong. You might see things in a different light if you were to do the same.

For your information, I attend my local team’s matches here in Australia. Perth Glory, in the Australian A- League competition. Been going for 16 years since they were formed. Not of the same standard as the E.P.L. but I still get that “sense of perspective” you talk about.

As for visiting the Emirates for matches ( if it were possible ), as things stand, no, I wouldn’t go. The only way for change to occur at the club is for the fans to hit the club in the hip pocket, by refusing to buy merchandise, renewing season tickets, and yes, boycotting matches. I know this concept is alien to you, but then that’s where we have differing perspectives and loyalties. Mine is to the club, yours sounds like it’s to Wenger and the current board. As I said no-one is bigger than the club. The present mob are only temporary custodians, they aren’t the club. By supporting them, you’re saying you’re happy to keep things the way they are. Some fan, if that’s the case !

Given all the aforementioned,if anyone has a disconnect from reality, it would be you.

110. SPECTRUM says:

Wonderman – On tactics – I covered that aspect too, in yesterday’s blog. Your eyes and common sense can tell you when the team is playing poorly, and why. If my toilet was blocked and overflowing, I’d get an experienced plumber in to fix it. If he tried for hours, but couldn’t do so, you could call him back again and again, or consider him incompetent.

The point I’m making is that the toilet remains blocked, because the plumber lacks the required skill or experience to do the job effectively. How do I know this ? Through simple observation and common sense. I may not have the qualifications, but I sure know something ain’t right !

111. slime says:

Is Spectrum still here? Oh dear, will come back later.

112. Red Arse says:

Me too, Slim! :-(

I dont take your comments personaly spectrum.

But my point still stands. You are disconnected from Arsenal reality which in turn has you made rather bitter and twisted. You have never been to a game in your life, have limited Arsenal experiences, Arsenal family or friends, and have formed a warped sense of reality as a result.

Nothing you say or do will change this fact.

114. slime says:

We could start our own blog RA, Slimey Arse!? :lol:

This is an outline of our average league position for the past 11 decades. The first decade being on the left.

6.8 – 10.9 – 10.07 – 4.8 – 4.0 – 8.7 – 7.5 – 8.5 – 5.1 – 3.9 – 3.5.

Can anyone detect a steady decline?

If Arsenal beat Man City, Spectrum will disappear because he has never been on this site or any other to my knowledge when a complimentary word about the club is in order.

So COYRRG

Slime,

That will get you in deep s……….

Slimey Arse hahahaha

119. Red Arse says:

Excellent stuff, GN5, with any luck it will be a bit like garlic waved under the nose of a shitty vampire!! :-)

Slim, If this visitation goes on much longer I will be off, permanently!
    I come on here to chew the fat with fellow Gooners, not to have some deranged pillock try to lecture us!

LB, we need TO beat Shitty — please! [oops, sorry about the Capitals -- must be a VIRUS]. :-)

120. Red Arse says:

Don’t encourage him, Syrup!! :-)

I want to help him Redders, but for some strange reason he thinks ime patronising him. hahahaha

122. slime says:

TMHT,

I’m not sure you can help someone who claims to know what Wenger has been upto for the last 11 days whilst living at the other side of the world! :)

Yes Slimey, its his disconnect thats warped him. But then you get brilliant gooners like Oz and Prince who live over there.

I would love to examine him and prepare a psyciatric report. His delusion is fantastic.

It might be our 89 victory that done it. Its best to experience calm and some losses at a nealier age rather be a 31 year old busting his cherry in that manner. Its all down hill after that. hahahaha

124. slime says:

On a different note,

I know there’s a lot of financial people that visit the site and I’m quite new at mortgages and my fixed rate is due to expire. I know your not supposed to give advice, but does anyone know any good websites I can look at to see wether I should fix in again or go onto a variable etc.

I would be very grateful.

125. slime says:

TMHT,

I agree. It must be like losing your virginity in a threesome with Megan Fox and Scarlett Johansson! Its only going downhill from there!
    :lol:

A certain Nayim burst my bubble early on, plus I had to put up with the likes of John Jensen and Chris Kiwomya. It’s these early setbacks that give me a sense of perspective.

Slimey, rates and deals vary from lender to lender. What you need to weigh up is your curent affordability, your medium term prospects, and the level of risk you are prepared to take, and even more crucialy the level of risk which in a worse case scenario is still affordable

Dont know about websites, but as a newly married couple its best to look for deals within a comfy buffer region

Good luck to you.

127. Slime
    You could always try the, “Grasp and Squeeze Building Society”, there`s probably a branch near you, the head office is in Bounds Green !.

hahahaha, Cornwall, ive told you before, you squeeze first and grasp later. That way its harder for them to escape. hahahaha

129. WTF, I come on here to give clear and sound advise to slimey gooner and I`m mocked by a man with Meerkat implantations !. How dare you !.

Watch it Fee, will get my mate specsofcum on you. He dosnt like it when people have a go at me

In Specsofcum we Trust

131. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

Hi
    Few in tonight I see is it a full moon
    Much love no arguments

sheep Hagger ™

132. I think he should have gone to ” SPECTRUM SAVERS “, as his real name is , P S RECTUM !.

Or may be he`s a Dodgy Aussie / Gestapo Landscaper, ” SS RECTUM PAVERS” !.

133. ” IN P RECTUMS WE THRUST !”

hahahahaha

Spectrum “I think a lot of you need to wise up, and fast.”

The man is the classic pub bore, full of wind and regurgitated bile.

Probably a Buddhist.

136. Red Arse says:

Raddy, :-)

We could always punish him by letting terry and Glic loose on him!! :-)

137. Wonderman says:

Hi Spectrum, thanks for your responses….just for the record
    1) up until this season I have been a season ticket holder and have been to almost every home game at the Emirates
    2) I am Uefa B licences coach
    3) I am also a qualified accountant of over 25 years

You can’t say with any credibility that Wenger is tactically inept as you don’t know what his tactics are. I can only take it that you mean when we are not being successful in a game for 60/70 minutes that Wenger should do a Mourinho and voila !!!….pipe dreams matey. a game of football is a moveable feast if one manager changes something the other should counter act it.

Having been to the games and seen a lot more than what you could ever see on tv it would help our attacking cause if our wide players stayed wide and were able to cross into dangerous areas with consistency . Intelligent movement upfront would encourage the midfield to pass forward more regularly. Forwards who test the keeper would help and midfield runners.

When teams park the bus, dribblers should unsettle individuals and either create space or draw fouls….and when was the last time we consistently scored from corners or free kicks

Defensively, how about doing what you would tell every 12 year old …don’t let the ball bounce and attack it in your box, never mind full backs preventing crosses and cb’s charging down shots…I could go on and on….none of these things have anything to do with tactical ineptitude that you claim

As for the finances, if you know anything about accounts in football and have read arsenal’s you will know that the ONLY reason the club has been profitable in recent times has been the sale of players and property. None of us are privy to any covenants (agreements) that may have been agreed to in financing the stadium therefore causing some quite odd sales in my opinion not to mention a recession and property slump.

For me these are the reasons for our lack of silverware

1. A horrendous injury record over the last 6/7 years
    2. Players not performing simple jobs consistently enough
    3. Wengers insistence on a socialist pay structure and sticking with players like Djourou , Squillaci, et al for too long

In Arsene we glimmer

138. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

He’s as popular as a ginger haired step son!

RA. Cruel and I doubt he would understand

140. evonne says:

wonderman – are you single?

141. Red Arse says:

You minx, Evonne! :-)

142. spanishgooner says:

I thought this was a serious blog where all opinions were respected. Clearly it´s not. There are many things about Spectrums posts I don´t like, but that´s because I find myself in agreement with too many of them for comfort – and that´s painful for a committed Wengerite!
    @THMT 0650pm. Astonishing comment. You really need to get out more.
    I´ve been reading this blog for a couple of years now without commenting much and (obviously) have enjoyed it but todays intolerance and juvenile ganging up on a fellow blogger has , to put it mildly , pissed me off to the extent that I doubt I will ever be a regular again.
    Maybe come Sunday night we´ll all be in a better frame of mind.

evonne. The moment a man says he has a professional qualification you ask if he is single. You brazen hussy :-)

Reminds me of the old Marx Brothers movie when Groucho is in a theatre watching a show. He stands up shouting “Is there a doctor in the house?” The show stops and a man says ” I am a doctor, can I help”. Groucho shouts back “Have I got a daughter for you”.

Rasp/Peaches,

Check Arsenal nuts – there’s a couple of new posts.

spanish. As a regular reader (and a valued one) you should know that politeness is a pre-requisite on this site.

There are many AA’ers who agree with Spectrum’s point of view but find more palatable ways to express themselves. An attitude which states “agree with me or you are a fool” is sure to engender an acrid response

All we ask is that the bloggers act with respect for each other – cross that line and, as has been the case with Spectrum, intolerance will follow.

146. slime says:

SH,

I’m a ginger haired step son……and very unpopular!

147. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

I bet slime

148. slime says:

Cheers Sheep!

I noticed the other day you said you are on Xbox live, Do you play Fifa online?

Whats so astonishing about my comment Spanish. I stated the bloke is detatched from reality and i stick by it. Why should i be polite to him? he shows none.

The bloke is a prize numpty. If i get banned for expressing my opinion of him then so be it.

150. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

I find this a bit mad people argue here it reminds the sheep off the tv programme
    Jermy Kyile or for the yanks Jerry springer.
    Brb after the adverts
    Sheepy

151. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

No slime I play tiger woods 12 .
    I’m not to bad at it will play it once face ache goes to sleep .
    I’m on the cans tonight.

152. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

I reckon ur all a bit nuts
    That’s why I like most of u.

153. evonne says:

:) :) am I that obvious? He just sounds soooo perfect….must be married or batty

154. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

Slime add me to x box mates have a chat one night if u can understand me
    I sound like shaking Stevens
    On da mic

evonne. Are you chasing GM & my record? (marriages)

156. slime says:

Will get you added on Sheep but I don’t have a headset! Will have to get the new TW when it comes out so I can give you a beating! ;)

157. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

Ok I’m off tiger time

158. 26may1989 says:

Interesting rumour re Maarten Stekelenburg, who’s lost his place first choice GK place to a young, shorter Uruguayan. I don’t see a keeper as a priority signing but I thought Stekelenburg looked very decent when he was at Ajax. Would be happy if that one turns out to be true, though I assume he’d be looking to join as first choice over Sz. Could make it difficult.

159. GunnrN5 says:

26m

A skeleton in goal sounds a little dodgy?

160. 26may1989 says:

GN5: In the words of Basil Brush: “Boom boom!” :)

161. Wonderman says:

Hi Evonne, lol no im not single :)

162. Hi Gn5

Thanks for the posts, we are going to use one tomorrow :)

163. Have to say I agree with SpanishGooner, I thought the juvenille mocking was the preserve of “the other site” and their ilk and we were better than that. Perhaps because a lot of what he says has given me cause to think. Yes, he has a confrontational approach(but no more so than I’ve seen from other regulars) but I didn’t think he was rude to anyone. Perhaps the reason he may upset is that he is not a fan of Wenger/the board. Just MHO.

164. Wonderman says:

I must say Spectrum you are a gem ….”our worst start in 58 years in 2011/12, and our worst in 30 years this year. Hardly progress is it ” to contradict yourself so blatantly is what makes me think you are some kind of comedian… I agree with you that the board are culpable, but for you to assert they should announce their plans….aren’t you aware that arsenal is a listed company therefore broadcasting their strategic plans to all and sundry just to appease insecure fans would be suicide

165. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

Brb dropped my nuts
    SH

166. Wonderman says:

Hi Chary,in short a lot of what he says doesnt stand up to scrutiny, I ignore the bits that upset most people as I think they are deigned to wind people up

167. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

He’s not all there
    Case closed.
    Dr Sheep ,

chary, yeah i was a biy juvenille with specsofcum but he deserved it. Hes a disrepectful know it all who patronises all and sundry. If i ever had the pleasure to meet him i would take great pleasure telling him to his face.

If i upset some bloggers, including chary and spanish, to my approach to this idiot then i apologise.However, most people dont share my views on Wenger and the Board on here but ive never had cause to have a spat with them. I have absoloutly no issue with people taking contradictory views to mine.

But i wont be spoken down to by a serial wind up merchant who trolls forums spewing crap and implying everyone is thick

169. oz gunner says:

good conversation starter tricky micky.

I’d love to see move Arsenal fans playing but like others have said I think you’re born with it. Players like Szcz for example.
    I think Frimpongs desire to die for Arsenal would make him into a great DM…hopefully we will see it one day.

170. oz gunner says:

@ Evonne

what chas think??? :)

Morning Micky
    There is a row 1 ticket with your name on it if you havent managed to find one elsewhere. I realise it’s short notice for booking trains etc. Especially with 4pm kick off.

@ oz
    She has my blessing.

As Evonne says, ‘….sounds soooo perfect…must be married or batty’.
    Wonderman’s married.
    I’m not. :)

I keep forgetting Micky has a lie-in on a Saturday.

Micky. You lucky so & so

My father used to call me “face ache”. Not heard the expression for many a year.

Nice post, by the way, Micky.
    Arsenal DNA, now there’s a thing.
    I can honestly say I was aware I was a Gunner while still in the womb (just like George Exile). :)

Unlike other ‘little boys’.

BR,
    Is that when he found out you had red and white coursing through your veins?

chas. He thought I was deranged, probably right.

I am still the only Gooner in the family though I have cousins who are diehards

My old man went to Tottenham Grammar school which has history with that hotspuds club, I believe.
    He used to go to both grounds as a kid.
    Thank Dennis he decided on the righteous path and seed of his loins knew which way to swim up the Seven Sister Road. :)

I’m off out, I’ll be back to see what the Devonian gourmand has to say about tomorrow.

Seven Sister? Eeek, must take typing lessons.

It’s Saturday and I can blog a bit :) How is everyone, I see we’ve had some imput from the ‘rustspreader’ :roll: but have we bought anyone, has Theo signed yet, is Diaby really gonna play again, is it true that Giroud hasn’t recovered from a cut on the leg?????????

181. chas – I’ve emailed Micky about the ticket just in case he doesn’t look in.

kelsey – are you ok, I haven’t noticed your golden locks much as I’ve scrolled through.

gm – you’re coming tomorrow aren’t you???

182. SPECTRUM says:

I sincerely appreciate your support, spanishgooner and charybdis1966. Yes, for a site that wears its civility like a badge of pride, there are plenty of bigots on here lurking below the surface. Glad that you’re not in their number. At least I’ve made you think, as you say, which is my purpose in posting on here. If I seem aggressive in my approach, then as I explained previously, it’s due to sheer frustration at trying to get through to those who see little or nothing wrong with the path we’ve been going down. “Down” being the operative word.

LB says I have nothing complimentary to say about the club. That’s because like MANY OTHER Gunners, I ( and we ) are so totally disenchanted with events surrounding our club, that we see no hope of things changing whilst the man at the center of it remains here to keep damaging it.

He says that I’ll “disappear” if we beat Manchester City. Whilst it would be helpful to gain the points, thinking that the odd victory here and there means everything is rosy and back on track, won’t alter the underlying malaise that we’re in. No doubt a win or three will have the A.K.B.’s gloating and pumping their fists as an indication that Wenger still ” has it “. But how many times has that turned out to be in vain ?

Realists see beyond short termism like that, and look at the BIGGER picture. Like what have we achieved over a whole season, or a number of seasons. And if you’re honest, it’s clear that we’re regressing under this regime.

” In Arsene we rust.”

183. Micky – just seen your email, I’ve let one out so can you try again and see if you’re free now ………………

Chas Chas Chas
    Fantastic news. Row 1 :-)
    Got your text but only this morning.
    Lie in….been up since five!!!
    Sooo excited, cannot wait. Only realised yesterday I have a 9am meeting Stoke on Trent monday, so was going to drive up sunday, and thought, mmmm, will be heading up M5, so if I set off earlier, I can turn right at the M4 and detour for five hours :-)

185. DidIt says:

Peaches,
    Am I here?

186. oz gunner says:

@ Spectrum

If you got rid of “in asene we rust” you’d probably get a better reception. Your opinions deserve better than finishing with that overused statement!

187. DidIt says:

Ah ha, he lives!!!!
    Chas Superstar,
    I was watching your comments earlier, but have weirdly been stuck in moderation from both laptop and mobile as well as from different addresses.
    A lie in? Been up since 5 thinking about the game, and now unlike Cinders, I’m coming :-)

188. Spectrum – I agree with oz. There are many on this site that hold similar views to you and would no doubt support you if you weren’t ramming down everyone’s throat “In Arsene we rust” #justsaying

189. SPECTRUM says:

oz gunner – “Overused” ? Yes, but no less relevant. It’s a statement of belief for me, so why not declare it ? My detractors focus on it because it strikes at the heart of THEIR belief system. That Wenger is still “Our Great White Hope.”, and it makes them uncomfortable to be reminded that he isn’t anymore.

Also they like to use it as a distraction to avoid having to deal with the issues that it elicits. Concentrate on discussing the issues, rather than fixating on the relatively minor matter of a catchphrase.

Jeeeze, get over it, people.

190. evonne says:

bloody wordpress!!
    Micky – great idea about DNA! BUT bothe Darren Bent and Joe Cole have a half decent DNA, do we want them? Perhaps the former

Plus, you and I would probably qualify for the starting XI and as much as I like you, there is no fecking way I want to see you on the pitch :)

Wonderman – I knew it!!!!

BR – no, I am not chasing GM’s and your records, no, I cannot afford it. Have you found the next Mrs BR yet?

Peaches. HNY.

I noticed the kelsey absence. Hope all is well with the old man.

Looking forward to spending some time on the trusty keyboard preparing the MC PM. Seems ages since I went into explorer mode

evonne. Ssshhhhh. Mrs BR is nearby :-D

193. evonne says:

ha ha ha :) Did you know that Stieg Larsson has only written 3 novels? Died very young, what a shame

The best player and best manager hurt, hurt really badly :(

Morning all, I’ve been reading back through the debate with Spectrum.

I agree there were times when we appeared to be employing the same pack instinct that drove many of us to set up the site in the first place.

The problem is that Spectrum doesn’t read and try to understand what others are saying, he just keeps trotting out the same line. Blogging is like conversation, you have to listen to the other persons response and consider it. He seems completely unaware that many acknowledge and are in agreement with some of his points. He insults us all equally with his dogmatic tirades.

It appears he will only be happy if we all join together in a chorus of, Wenger’s the devil incarnate.

LB is correct, we’d be more accepting of his forays on the site if he joined us once in a while to celebrate something good – like the 5:2, but he’s only interested in dwelling on the negative and that is not healthy.

195. DidIt says:

I think Chary’s been drinking :-)

The repeated tagline of “In Arsene we rust” is proof if any were needed that he has no intention of trying to engage with us, he just wants to preach.

He could repeat it a million times on every available site and it still would have no effect on the way the cub is run. So what is he trying to achieve? – he wants everyone to acknowledge that he is right and they are wrong … and he accuses AW of megalomania?

As others said yesterday, we’ve covered all the points he makes and reached some similar conclusions. If he’d bothered to read anything anyone else wrote he’d know that. His comfort zone comes when he can influence others to reply in a similarly insulting manner and then he can play the ‘I thought you were supposed to be a polite blogsite’ card. Personally I wouldn’t rise to it.

197. SPECTRUM says:

Rasp – Of course I acknowledge that many of you are in agreement with me. Trouble is, there are still many who don’t. They’re the ones who also like top resort to childish insults like “specsofcum” for instance. Why aren’t you even handed and pull them up on that too ?

“Celebrate something good” ? Wish I could. You should read my post at 8;34, as you must have missed it. Second third and fourth paragraphs.

Okay I do also have a sense of humour you know https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BAWZa9uCEAAG4iR.jpg

198. New Post …………………

The bench looks like Oliver Reed And George Best have had a partyon it!

Well said Rasp. The only way to get rid of him is to ignore him completely

201. SPECTRUM says:

Rasp – What happened to my post about Van Persie ? Was there a glitch, or was it too topical ?

You said ; “……but he’s only interested in dwelling on the negative and that is not healthy “. Neither is accepting the state we’re in and have been in. It’s the sedate passivity of most of the contributors to your forum that irks me. As you say, some of them are aware of the issues. But instead of all this constant politeness ( ? ), wouldn’t it be preferable for your blog and it’s followers to agitate for change, so that we can get our club back to what it used to be ? I don’t expect them to stage an armed uprising, but the current position you all take is like a homeowner sitting quietly in his loungeroom reading the paper, while the ( Arsenal ) house is burning down around him.

Gazidis said the only way Wenger would go is if the fans demanded it. I assume you want the best for our club as I do, then why aren’t you lobbying for this possibility, or at least being more strident in your blogs ? It might just influence a few more people and that influence may grow. Every bit helps.

By the way, you also said I don’t wait for the other person’s response and consider it. In engaging with you, I’ve just done that.

202. SPECTRUM says:

chas – Ignorance is bliss, isn’t it ?

” In Arsene we rust.”

Spectrum, there is no sign of any post of yours in spam or in trash – I don’t know what has happened to it.

Maybe one day you’ll be big enough to accept that people can hold a similar opinion to yours but express it in a way that is accessible to others. I’m sorry to inform you, but nothing you say is original, you’re not the first and you won’t be the last.

204. hello there and thank you for your information – I have definitely picked up
    anything new from right here. I did however expertise several technical points using this website,
    since I experienced to reload the site lots of times previous to I could get it to load properly.
    I had been wondering if your hosting is OK?
    Not that I am complaining, but sluggish loading instances times
    will very frequently affect your placement in google
    and can damage your quality score if ads and marketing with Adwords.
    Anyway I am adding this RSS to my e-mail and could look out for a lot more of your
    respective fascinating content. Ensure that you
    update this again soon.