Is there any ‘Ba’ nefit to having Demba in our squad?

Recently we have been linked to in form Newcastle striker Demba Ba, but would his arrival be beneficial to the mighty Arsenal?

His goal scoring record speaks for itself:

Demba Ba:

12/13: 11 goals in 18 (1) games (only behind Michu and BSR)

11/12: 16 goals in 32 (2) games (more than Balotelli, Dzeko, and Suarez). that included 14 goals by mid season before he went off to ACN and played second to Cisse (managed to kick 13 goals in the second half of the year)

10/11: 7 goals in 10 (2) games

Un ‘Ba’ lievable right?! Just how good is it though? Well lets compare it to a couple of other strikers we are linked too at the moment:

Fernando Llorente:

12/13: 1 goal in 1 (9) game

11/12: 17 goals in 24 (8) games

10/11: 18 goals in 37 (1) games

David Villa:

12/13: 5 goals in 12 games

11/12: 5 goals in 8 (7) games

10/11: 18 goals in 32 (2) games

Huntelaar out of reach – 2 year contract extension

I know who the smart money is on! Comes with EPL experience, including monstering key premier league defences.

The one question mark that exists is his fitness. He was supposed to join Stoke a couple of seasons ago but failed the medical because of a knee problem and was described by Pulis as a “major risk”.

The injury exists thanks to a serious fracture in this tibia and fibula (front and back bones in the leg) which left him on the sidelines for 8 months. Unfortunately the operation was a shocker and left Ba with knee pain thanks a nail that was inserted in his tibia causing sensation problems in his knee. Reports suggest he is on a pay-as-you-play deal at Newcastle at the moment. However, he really has shown no ill effects since he made the switch from West Ham.

Is he worth the risk? Or do we want another potential injury risk joining Gibbs, Diaby, and Rosicky in the sick bay?

For the 7.5 million dollar release clause I think it would be money well spent! Not to mention he himself has stated it would be a ‘dream move’. But do you think it’s wise?

Oz Gunner

63 Responses to Is there any ‘Ba’ nefit to having Demba in our squad?

1. i wont touch him with a berge pole! as soon as he signs on the dotted line, his knee will go, and he wont be able to play again…curse of the gunner

2. Sheep Hagger says:

Morning
    Bring him in its worth a 7 million pound gamble.
    The other two u mentioned Oz would cost too much and demand huge wages.
    I think he would be bafical to the gunners and he’s the right age.

oz,

Thanks for the post and good evening to you.

my question is when does a leopard change his spots. Has Wenger ever bought a striker from within the EPL ? his argument is that most players are overpriced yet he is prepared to gamble (and that what it amounts to) on buying usually unheard players from abroad, and then ofeten says that these players need a good 6 months bedding in period.
    I don’t agree with that and as you rightly point out there are pros and cons in getting Demba Ba.

there is a good argument that in the past 2/3 seasons he has bought more average or poor players than good ones.
    There have been players available within the Pl that suit our budget. Defoe for one was cast out by Harry and was available.now look at him with a regular run in the team.
    The trouble is that generally we are not the only team trying to strengthen our attack without breaking the bank, and if you exclude the 3 mega rich clubs, the transfer window could be very active but maybe more on loan deals with a view to purchase.

it may seem ridiculous to say but if Bedtner hadn’t tripped over his own ego he would be a far better option than either Park or Chamakh. comments welcome.

4. Thanks for raising the Ba question Oz, and in reply to Kelsey, maybe the bad experience Wenger had with buying Jeffers has put him off PL strikers for good ?

I forgot about jeffers :)

6. I think Wenger is still trying to forget Jeffers.

Richard Wright !!!!!!!!!

8. Sheep Hagger says:

It’s a no brainier for me if Theo goes and arshivin and Chamak,it will leave us short.
    I know Wenger said no in his press conference,but that means little in the football transfer market.
    PS remember Sol Cambell he stated at one point he would not sign him.
    I would rather have Ba than Th14 no disrespect to Mr Henry the legend.

9. Nick TG says:

100% Demba Ba is the best of the realistic options. He has been a goal machine since time in Bundesliga, has EPL experience and is a steal at 7.5m!! LLorente is also available at a very great price since last year of contract but i feel he is too similar to Giroud – we dont need another big boy but rather someone with pace and long distance shooting…Ba is thus perfect!
    We need Ba and a big ass DM (Diaby need sto be seen as a bonus when fit – we cant rely on him). BA and a big DM and we are a very solid squad!

If we sign him i will definitely get BA printed on the back of my shirt .
    Most of you won’t understand why :)

11. Sheep Hagger says:

R u a sheep lover Kelsey?.

12. Joe says:

Yes, we should sign him, but offer him a ‘special’ contract. Pay as you play, coz of his dodgy knee

Close Sheep Hagger and my wife is Welsh just to confuse you even more :)

14. Sheep Hagger says:

What part of Wales is the mrs from Kelsey.
    Can who ever put that picture up of Mikel ARtetta jumping up after scoring not sure against who ,I’ve had a look at old posts but can’t find it.
    Cheers

15. Sheep Hagger says:

Can who ever posted the Arteta pic repost it please,it was posted around a week ago .

Barry,overlooking Barry island but left there 40 years ago

Hi Ozzy Baby.

I dont want any of these players.We need to unearth a striking gem. We took Van Perise and Henry as youngsters and they became world class. Thats what we need to do again. Easy isnt it. hahaha.

The alternative is to wait till the summer and go into a bidding war with Chelsea, City, etc for Cavani or that geezer who plays for Ahtletico. Again, very easy. hahahaha

kelsey, your propensity for crypticly teasing and your obvious enjoyment of sheep is all very admirable. But you should not tantalise Terry who is not know as the safe cracker…errr, i mean, cryptic cracker for nothing.

Psycoligicly, people place names on the back of there shirts which are an offshoot of there own names. Which therefore means your name is either Goat, Shepherd, Lamb, Billy or Capra-hircus hahaha

19. Red Arse says:

Kelsey,

I just saw the AW interview, and what he said was the usual careful answer.

He said he liked Ba, but as we are playing them soon he did not want to put any pressure on the clubs or the player …………. and therefore the answer was ‘no’.

Like you — he is a little tease!! :-)

20. tom says:

Terry MHT
    the only buy that makes sense is Zaha,other than that well i would be far more satisfied if we could ship out some deadwood…and bring some youngsters in.
    Never forget what we’re all about…selling top players and
    making the good old cash..And Diaby back..Rosicky…Santos ;).
    and about Wenger..he is just talking the same old same old bullshit…but to be fair imo he is just doing what he is told to do…make money..
    the rot will never stop as long as the american hooker is running this club…we have turned in to a kinda watchable b movie..

RA,

I believe AW was following the lead of another famous scrooge and what he actually said has Ba – Humbug.

22. dandan says:

Morning all, nice topic oz, hope you didnt get to much sand in your chrissy dinner.
    Wenger can’t lose with this one he will buy BA either the footballer from Newcastle or bugger all, either way its BA . :-)

23. Akeem Abdulkareem Lanre says:

I think the statistics of is goal per appearance speaks 4 itself. We shouldn’t 4get dat injury is part of the game but getting injured consistently is not good and we all know dat demba ba isn’t injury prone player like diaby, rosicky & gibss .

Cant argue that selling top players is not a big part of our current history Tom. I am confident that going forward this trend will stop ad we can build a great team again.

I agree about Zaha. Thats a Wenger buy if ever i saw one.

I also like B Movies.Especialy the ones with lots of unnessacery sex and violence. hahaha

25. tom says:

hehe Terry MHT :)
    Zaha it will be then ;..and B Movie well have a look at Feast…should keep you entertained…

the trend will only stop when and if the ffp comes into effect…since Arsenal are banking on it lets hope it happens..then next on the agenda would be a salary cap for players..the american way..to most it seems like a fair deal,to me its only another opportunity for the rich to get richer…
    after all there is only one true religion Capitalism.
    darn …here’s a Little Johnny joke..
    One day Little Johnny went to his father, and asked him if he could buy him a $200 bicycle for his birthday. Little Johnny’s father said, “Johnny, we have a $80,000 mortgage on the house, and you want me to buy you a bicycle??? Wait until Christmas!”

Christmas came around, and Little Johnny asked again. The father said, “Well, the mortgage is still extremely high, sorry kiddo. Ask me again some other time.”

Well, about 2 days later, the boy was seen walking out of the house with all his belongings in a suitcase. The father felt sorry for him, and asked him why he was leaving.

Little Johnny said, “Yesterday I was walking past your room, and I heard you say that you were ‘pulling out,’ and mommy said that ‘you should wait because she was coming, too….’

“And I’ll be DAMNED if I’m gonna stuck with your $80,000 mortgage!”

Have a superb Weekend all and lets walk all over the pardews..

26. Red Arse says:

Hi GN5, :-)

With all the touchline remonstrations, and arm waving under the noses of the referees, by Ferguson, ‘Arry and Pardew, perhaps it should be Ba – handbags! :-)

TMHT

yes you are right it was a cryptic clue and you can make up your own mind which is the surname :)

RA,

It is beyond belief that SAF has not been charged by the FA, everything surrounding Man U’s treatment by both the FA and the officials reeks of favouritism. It’s nothing short of a disgrace….

Has Wenger ever brought a striker from within the EPL?

Francis Jeffers………………..

Over priced, over rated and as a result the experience of over spending seems to have put Wenger off for ever?

Just noticed, others have already mentioned Jeffers

LB,

In all fairness to AW Jeffers was a sought after striker and it appeared that we had pulled off a real steal but it turned out to be less than ideal……..

32. ST says:

It looks like PSG are in the mix.

33. Then we are probably being used as a bargaining tool by the Bar Codes to get a higher price from PSG, ST.

34. oz gunner says:

Afternoon all. Sorry for the sub par post but it was a last minute scrap designed for yesterdays last minute scramble.

Thank you all for your kind comments.

For me Ba is an interesting case. If his knee was fine he would have probably left by now. In my opinion he doesn’t have much top level football left so is probably look for one last big pay day.

I still think Giroud is our number one but I would like to see Ba brought in to deepen the squad. I still want to see Podolski given a go also. You don’t finish 3rd highest scorer in the Bundesliga without being a top notch striker.

ahhh Jeffers. Looked like a book worm and played like one too

@ Kelsey

I couldn’t agree more in regards to Bendy. If he had have knuckled down when he needed to we would be laughing as he had endless potential. Instead he’s just a tit!

35. oz gunner says:

PSG could buy anyone so they definitely are not going to buy Ba.
    They already have Gameiro and the big swede. I think it’s a story put out by Newcastle to get us to cough up more if we want him.

@ TMHT

I want to see more of the youth but we haven’t had a good run with blooding strikers (JET, Simpson, Watt come to mind). I hope Campbell and Afobe break that drought though!

36. Sheep Hagger says:

Demba 🐏

37. Gooner In Exile says:

Afternoon all, well done Oz on the post, can’t say Ba isn’t of interest, but if also like to add Fletcher if we are talking PL experience, I reckon his goals per chance ratio is probably one of the highest in the PL. but for some reason no PL big club seems to admire him, there is also Holt and Pilkington at Norwich who could be considered and maybe even one of Swansea’s target men, not Michu but Graham.

However I don’t think we will see any arrive.

Like Kelsey I too believe Bendtner (minus ego) would have been a better option than Chamakh over last couple of seasons.

Now if we really want to upset the apple cart and bring in proven PL experience how about Anelka?

38. Well he would certainly be an improvement on what we had and I think he is a better all round player than many give him credit for. We had a bit of a discussion about him in our match preview:

He certainly will be a threat come Saturday and Per will have his hands full once again!

39. Andy Mack says:

As said previously, Gooner luck with injuries = Ba’s knee gives out in the first training session. It’s a known weakness (even if it isn’t as bad as Stoke thought) and if it happens, it’ll be with us. Then AW will get slated for buying another hospital case. So in my opinion, I really hope we don’t get Ba.

40. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

Hi andy
    He’s got to be worth a gamble the knee has been ok for last 18 months,
    Lets see how he plays against us tomorrow I bet he plays well ⚽.

41. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

Ps I got a trade mark on my name look
    Sheep Hagger™.
    Lol

42. goonermichael says:

I understand Kelsey. I’d have Ba. I hope we get someone.

43. goonermichael says:

That’s clever Sheep Hagger™ :)

44. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

We got a few dead wood we can off load ,we all know who they are.
    Theo may not sign the Russian is off to reading .
    Chamak is off to Southampton
    Bring in Ba Ba black sheep

45. goonermichael says:

It’s reported that AA has turned down reading.

46. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

Baa, baa, black sheep,
    Have you any goals
    Yes, sir, yes, sir,
    Five goals full;
    One for mr villas boars arse
    And one for the mr Mancini.
    And 3 for mr Fergerson.
    Who lives down the lane.

Much love 👀🐏
    SH

47. Sheep Hagger ™ says:

He’s 4/6 on to join reading in jan is aa Ba is 1/2 on to join us .

Nice post, oz.

I can’t help thinking his old injury problems will resurface once he sees how comfy the sick bay is. :)

here’s that pic, sheep.
    Any size you like. You can’t download so have to take a screen print. (shift + prt scr)

……then dump it into Paint, trim it up and away you go.

When I say dump, I mean paste.

51. oz gunner says:

@ GiE

I like Steven Fletcher also. 8 goals 2 assists at Sunderland and 12 at Wolves is a very good record. Only problem is Sunderland just paid 13.5 million for his services, and after a bright start has sunk considerably.

@ Shagger

good song :)

@ Chas

Haven’t you heard…the sick bay is all fixed up! Injuries are a thing of the past at Arsenal!!!

52. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

No thanks Oz. I know his stats are good perhaps great but i just dont think he should be our target. We are on the verge of getting the best commercial deals we have had in a long time. I would rather wait till the summer and wait for that player with a bit of flair, that X factor that we have been missing. I’d be pretty pissed off if Ba was bought without even trying Poldi central. Poldis shooting is better than Ba’s, speed is the same, positioning- well surely Pod needs to be tried.

If however Ba was brought in as a squad player and given no more than 60k a week, with an intention of buying a Top Top Top exceptional striker than i would be happy and Gerv could stay in Africa once he left.. I am talking, Higuain, Benzema or Reus, players of that ilk. This is where Arsenal should be aiming for. I still believe our first move should be for an animal of a defensive midfielder and/or a replacement for your box to box Diaby player.

Great post mate, and i bet Ba’s a handful on the weekend…Thats just my bad luck.

53. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Of course, i could be absofookinlutely wrong as i was in the past. I was over the moon when we signed Davor Suker from Real Madrid, a golden boot winner in the world cup for a minnows nation, a cheeky artisan who ended up looking like a has been, but had his moments. At the same time i wasnt too keen on Thierry when he joined (ill wash my mouth later), so there you go. My scouts as good as yours and yours is as good as mine.. By the way, didnt you scout Giroo for us, and isnt it a little too early for a direct replacement :-)

54. oz gunner says:

I sure did PPP and I still feel he is our number one, i think he will be a force for us. I’d just like Pod and Ba is backups.

Apparently he is on a 60k a week pay as you play deal at toon, something of that ilk would be good

55. Gooner In Exile says:

Would Ba take a pay and play where he might not play?

Surely it’s a pay if fit deal? If the manager decides not to use him it’s not his fault he doesn’t play.

56. oz gunner says:

I guess that’s the idea GiE.

I’d like to know if players like rosicky and diaby are on them

57. Gooner In Exile says:

Congratulations to Pat Rice MBE

58. barumgooner says:

They would be sharing a cardboard box in a shop doorway if they were oz.

59. barumgooner says:

I dont mind Ba but I dont think we need him at the moment. Personally I would love to see us break the bank for Baines and Fellaini but sadly it wont happen. I just hope and pray these rumours about Nani aren’t true, good player but looks like a horrible little c@*t. I would hate to see him at the Arsenal.

60. VCC says:

Barumgooner…couldn’t agree with you more about Nani, would hate to see him wearing the famous red and white.

61. VCC says:

As GiE says…….Congratulations to Pat Rice, MBE. Well deserved.

Morning all ….