Can Arsenal be in the top four by the New Year?

Looking at the standings as of December 5th we languish in 10th place, while not the worst start in our PL history it’s pretty close, only 1994/5 was worse when we had only 5 wins and 19 points versus our current 5 wins and 21 points.

Our play has been very spotty, our incisive passing and our high energy game has eluded us and many of our players are not in the best of form.

The teams quarrelling with us over the 3rd and 4th spots are Chelsea, Tottenham, West Bromwich, Everton, Swansea and Stoke, with only five points separating the teams. (The writer is conceding the top two places to Manchester)

Each team has five league games to play before the end of the year and, being a positive type I’ve assumed, for the sake of the following analysis, that we will regain our elusive form.

I will list each of the teams showing their current points, the teams they will play and the points that I estimate they will earn.

Chelsea is currently at 26 points and will play -

Sunderland away, a win and 3 points

Southampton home, a win and 3 points

Aston Villa home, a win and 3 points

Norwich away, a win and 3 points

Everton away, a draw and I point

This will give them a total of 39 points.

Tottenham Hotspur is currently at 26 points and will play –

Everton away, a loss and zero points

Swansea home, a draw and 1 point

Stoke home, a draw and 1 point

Aston Villa away, a win and 3 points

Sunderland away, a win and 3 points

This will give them a total of 34 points

West Bromwich Albion is currently at 26 points and will play –

Arsenal away, a draw and 1 point

West Ham home, a draw and 1 point

Q.P.R. away, a win and 3 points

Norwich home, a win and 3 points

Man U away, a loss and zero points

This will give them a total of 34 points

Swansea City is currently at 23 points and will play –

Norwich home, a win and 3 points

Tottenham away, a draw and 1 point

Man U home, a loss and zero points

Reading away, a win and 3 points

Liverpool home, a draw and 1 point

Southampton home, a win and 3 points

This will give them a total of 31 points

West Ham United is currently at 22 points and will play –

Liverpool away, a draw and 1 point

W.B.A away, a draw and 1 point

Everton home, a loss and zero points

Arsenal away, a loss and zero points

Reading away, a win and 3 points

This will give them a total of 27 points

Arsenal is currently at 21 points and we play -

W.B.A. home, a draw and 1 point

Reading away, a win and 3 points

Wigan away, a win and 3 points

West Ham home, a win and 3 points

Newcastle home, a win and 3 points

This will give us a total of 34 points.

Based on my estimates the table at the end of the year would look like this

1. Man X

2. Man X

3. Chelsea

4. Arsenal

5. Tottenham

6. Everton

7. West Bromwich

8. Swansea

9. Stoke

10. West Ham

I known what you’re thinking estimates are just guesses, and you are right, but at least to my way of thinking all is not doom and gloom and we are still in with a good shot at finishing in the top four.

But if we lose to West Bromwich on Saturday even my bright outlook may become a little clouded.

Written by GunnerN5

91 Responses to Can Arsenal be in the top four by the New Year?

1. Roland says:

I wish we had Arsene’s email so we could send him some of the posts you guys do. This one would be so helpful to the players and to him right now! It says ‘stay focused… It doesn’t even need a miracle’.
    Nice one GN5!

Thanks GN5.

I find it hard to predict even one result in one game, so respect.

I noticed that your ‘bright outlook’ includes a draw at home to the baggies. Ouch!
    Having said that, we then go on to rip up the opposition for the rest of December.

I was going to ask when he last had 4 league wins on the bounce, but then realised I could see at a glance from one of Rasp’s superb widgets!

For anyone to say we have no chance of a top four place is ridiculous.
    Unless you base it on our current form, in which case it is a certainty.
    Hope springs eternal.

he = we

4. Ill Ting says:

Lol. Just lol.

Great stuff GN5

If this one comes of I really hope you do a post saying you told us so.

Do you do the Euro Lottery Millions GN5 :)

Morning all,

I’ve made 38 predictions so the odds of me being right are pretty remote.

There has been so much doom and gloom written about us lately that I thought I would do a review to see how things might turn out – and this post is the result of that review,

Now the games are laid laid out you can take your own shot in the dark and see what you come up with.

All we have to do is reain our missing form – I predict that we will,,,,,,,,,,

8. henrychan says:

We can get 15 points for the last 5 games.. but I don’t think we will end at fourth.. I think we might be on 6th..
    but If we do the trend win 3.. draw 1 and lose 1.. for every 5 games.. than we can finished on 3rd again.. hehehe..

Kelsey,

We have several lotteries in Canada one is named Lotto49 where you have to get 6 numbers right – I’ve got 5 out of 6 on 4 different occasions, You can imagine how much it hurts to get that close so many times.

By the way I was never any good doing the football pools.

10. Red Arse says:

Well done, GN5, :-)

The one certainty in making your predictions is that your guess is as good as anyone else’s.

That being so, at this juncture you have every chance of being proved correct, and fingers crossed, we will reassert our position in the top 4.

That’s good enough for me! :D

Morning GN5,

Mathematical optimism … I like it :P

I think a win on Saturday is imperative for the team to feel it is coming out of a bad patch and push on with the victories you predict.

The disappointing thing once again is that the teams at the top really aren’t playing that well and yet they’re already out of sight.

12. Shubham says:

If you look at the record of the past 7 seasons, Arsenal has recorded around 19-20 wins and 8-10 draws each year to finish at least 4th.That is around 68-70 points. Now, given our present situation, we need a good run of results to be able to reach a similar points. Generally, Arsenal has periods when it strings together good results. However, this year we haven’t been able to do so. I think, soon the team will get into groove and secure valuable points. We are due for it. In spite of all the doom and gloom on the cyberspace, I am still hopeful we can manage to squeeze into the top 4 come May.

13. dandan says:

Well done GN5 god to see positive thoughts.
    Interesting article from this morning times below.

Why Arsene Wenger’s beautiful game cannot be sacrificed

It is a sentiment expressed by many high-profile players. In this case, it was Marco Reus, the budding superstar of Borussia Dortmund and Germany, but he is far from alone. Ask most footballers which teams they enjoy watching and they will probably answer as Reus did. “Barcelona,” they will say, “and Arsenal.”
    That those two sides are regularly paired together is more flattering to one than the other, of course. That’s the Barcelona widely regarded as the finest club side in history and the Arsenal who last year lost the Carling Cup final to Birmingham City.
    But that they are so inextricably linked in players’ minds is testament to the work done, over the past 16 years, by Arsène Wenger in forging the club’s identity, not just here, but across the world. Arsenal have become a byword for beauty and enjoyment. Players want to play for them and fans want to watch them.
    Nobody ever says, for example, that they enjoy watching Barcelona and Chelsea. Nobody joins Chelsea because they fell in love with the club as a child or because they find their style exhilarating. They join Chelsea because they want to win trophies. Barcelona and Chelsea are opposites; Barcelona and Arsenal natural bedfellows.
    That is more than a moral victory. It is a financial one, too. Arsenal have not only succeeded in captivating the British middle classes with their expansive style and their purist philosophy; their association with aestheticism, given to them by Wenger, makes them attractive across Asia, which houses the key markets for clubs hopeful of flooding their income streams in years to come.
    There is an insulting myth that football’s “new” fans want only to be associated with victory. That is abundantly untrue. Liverpool continue to be enormously popular in the Far East, and they do what they can never to win.
    Those supporters who have adopted them as their club are attracted to the history, the faded grandeur, the passion, just as those who have taken up Arsenal’s cause care more for artistry than accomplishment. It is on these shores where fans demand trophies, crave immediate success; it is on these shores where the debate over Wenger’s departure rages.
    It is not hard to make the case for the Frenchman to draw the curtain on his 16-year reign. He has grown more extreme with age and criticism seems to redouble his resolve. He does not brook change; he is too loyal; he tries the same thing again and again.
    But it is an empty conversation. He will not quit, and the club do not need him to. Trophies are incidental. The trick is to be in it, not necessarily to win it, to be attractive enough, not necessarily to be the most attractive. Arsenal have been cursed by their beauty. This club are in love with their own reflection, and while they are staring at that, there is no allure to the gleam of silverware.

You’ve got to be bloody ROLFing GN5
    4th!!!!!!
    I am in a car on the M5 (its already getting a bit northern in here) but I’ve just done my predicterometer and we’re top by Christmas
    You are doomer

Rasp,

Of our 5 games I found the WBA game the hardest to predict,

While a win would be wonderful I feel that a draw will be a good result given our recent lack of form, but a loss would be a debilitating wound.

Micky,

Concentrate on the driving and stop dreaming…

Thanks GN5, I shall be going on Saturday and I’m looking forward to seeing some really good flowing football ….. and hopefully Arsenal will play well too :lol:

Shubham,

The average points for 4th place in PL history has been 68.

We are on 21 points today which would us to get 47 out of our remaining 69 which equals 68% or 2,04 per game.

Sounds reasonable to me………

Fine article Dandan – sure wish I could write with such flair and flow.

which would LEAVE us

Well GunnerN5 someone in Stevenage has just run out of time in fact at 11.p.m. last night (you get months to claim a euro lottery ticket) only 64 million £’s.
    At least the money will go to good causes.

Just looking at our fixtures as to what i expect and what we will achieve could be miles apart.

Your predictions

Arsenal is currently at 21 points and we play -

W.B.A. home, a draw and 1 point

Reading away, a win and 3 points

Wigan away, a win and 3 points

West Ham home, a win and 3 points

Newcastle home, a win and 3 points

This will give us a total of 34 points.

I don’t think any of the teams will park the bus, as that seems to be less frequent this season and I would think
    WBA 3 ponts
    Reading 3 points
    Wigan 0 points
    West Ham 3 points
    Newcastle 1 point

Which gives us 31 points.

my logic to this is a lack of consistency and not being able to keep a clean sheet.

23. Gooner In Exile says:

GN5 nice post, unfortunately I am starting to doom myself, especially with my swingometer!

Which given our form of late now predicts us to finish 11th!

Hopefully we can turn it round!

If we look at last seasons results we achieved 15 points from those 5 games, but our current swing predicts we will pick up 11.

Now off to my laptop to do the others.

24. wally says:

We’re not even losing beautifully anymore. But winning isn’t everything, just ask Tom Fox. And when fourth is considered success then clearly the culture at the club has become compromised. Mediocrity is acceptable.

Food for thought, 68-70 points requires winning about 15 of the remaining 23

25. Gooner in Exile says:

OK the results of the Swingometer are in:

3 Everton 38
    4 Chelsea 35
    5 Arsenal 31
    6 Spuds 31
    7 Stoke 29
    8 Swansea 28
    9 West Ham 28
    10 WBA 27

I’d take that i think :D

26. VCC says:

Fine post GN5……perhaps if we all send our letters to Father C and ask him to be kind to us, we may just achieve fourth at Christmas, and may even stretch it to top four at the end of the season.

If any one can turn us around on Saturday, Wenger can. He has done it before, why not start this coming 8th December.

Our starting eleven should all be fit and well rested ready to go. Let’s come out of the traps like an express train and play with pace throughout.

It’s simply not open for negotiation, we must win on Saturday, and IMO I think we will.

COYG

27. Gooner in Exile says:

Or Wally winning 13 drawing 8 and losing 2. Thats doable.

28. Gooner in Exile says:

Defeat is not an option on Saturday so I have ensured Exile Seniors have secured their place in the ground, i am not going this time so any my Jonah effect (last seen at Swansea home) is not there to negate their four leaf clover effect.

They have yet to see Arsenal lose at the Emirates when i am not in the stadium. :D

29. Shubham says:

GunnerN5,

As I said, we are due for a strong streak of good results. Hope it starts this Saturday against WBA. A run of 4-5 straight wins will get us back on track. Frankly, I don’t thinks its beyond us. Keep the faith and wholeheartedly support the team. It is now when the players need our backing the most.

30. Gooner8 says:

There are reports that talks over a new contract for Sagna have stalled because the club only want to offer him a years extension. I find this silly as Sagna is a top top Right back.Jenkinson is not ready to step up to the big stage at the moment.this has been Wengers downfall selling players nearing 30 years.For gods sake offer the kid a new longer contract. All this talk of Wenger having money to spend is all cobblers. Wenger will have money to spend when he sells Walcott and Sagna.

31. VCC says:

GIE 12:27…. :-) Sacrifice for the team, nice one.

No worries, we will WIN.

32. slime says:

The FACT is that even with all the ‘crisis’ and ‘worst start in x number of years’ that the journalists and pundits keep sticking down everyones throats, we are just 5 points behind 3rd place!

Now things are not rosey, and the football isn’t great at the minute, but each and every one of us here knows that this Arsenal team, and this Arsenal manager, are capable of producing a long run of quality performances at the drop of hat. That’s why we keep watching, thats why we keep cheering, and that’s why we keep writing posts like the one GN5 has done today.

A ‘crisis’ is a word that is massively overused in football. History tells us that a ‘crisis’ can last a week, or even a month, but only on very rare occasions does it last longer, and I don’t think this is one of those occasions.

With the CL out of the way, it’s time for this team to knuckle down and play some ‘backs to the wall’ christmas football. It needs to be an ‘us against them’ mentality, and there needs to be some f-ing PRIDE shown on the field!

COYG!

33. Gooner In Exile says:

Right given all we know do we think sign Sagna for a 3 year extension on his existing (taking him to 34), or sell him now and replace with a 25 year old on a 4 year deal.

I guess the latter is more expected, unfortunately there is not a large amount of talent on the table at right back in the PL at the moment to choose from. Who is Swanseas right back? :D

I know Sagna is Mr Consistent but what ishe Mr Consistenf at? Do we look more potent attacking force with him in the side, or a more steady defensive unit?

I fear the answer to both is no.

I wish your pseudonym was not slime because you come up with some great comments and they ain’t the least bit slimy……….

35. VCC says:

GiE. ….Swansea’s right back is Rangel. I have said before he looks quality, I wouldn’t have him in my dream team if I didn’t rate him, :-) . If Sagna goes maybe test Wigans resolve. But my priority would still be a left back.

In the history of the PL it has taken 85.9 points to come 1st – 79.6 for 2nd – 73.7 for 3rd and – 68.1 for 4th.

So in order to finish 1st we would need to gain 94.2% of our remaining points or 2.82 per game – 2nd would be 85.5% and 2.56, – 3rd would be76.8% and 2.3 and – 4th would be 68.1% and 2.04.

3rd or 4th is not un-realistic but !st or 2nd would be a pipe dream.

37. slime says:

I find it hard to believe that Wenger would be giving 5 year contracts to the likes of Cazorla, Giroud, Podolski, Arteta, Mertersacker etc but would then only offer Sagna 1 year! doesnt make sense.

My only criticism of Sagna is that he produces very little going forward, and in the modern game, where wingers are often playing, it is very important for a full back to offer a threat the other way.

I thinks Jenks is the future, but I would definately give Sagna a couple more years……..IF he wants it!

From Arsenal.com

…………………………………………………………………………………..

Champions League draw: Who could we face?

The draw for the last 16 of the Champions League takes place in Nyon on Thursday, December 20 from 10.30am (UK time).

As runners-up in Group B, Arsenal will face a group winner in the first knockout round and will play the first leg at Emirates Stadium.

They cannot be drawn against the winners of their own section – Schalke – or a club from the same association, ruling out Manchester United.

That leaves Paris St-Germain, Malaga, Borussia Dortmund, Juventus, Bayern Munich and Barcelona as potential opponents.

Group winners

Shakhtar Donetsk
    Valencia
    Celtic
    Galatasaray

By Jeremy Wilson

11:00PM GMT 05 Dec 2012

Sagna, who has twice been named in the Professional Footballers Association’s Premier League team of the year, has been offered only a one-year extension to his current deal at the Emirates Stadium, meaning that any renewed contract would take him until the end of the 2014-15 season when he would be aged 32.

Arsenal regard that offer as sensible but Sagna, who openly questioned the sales last summer of Robin van Persie and Alex Song, is understood to be disappointed and wants the security of a longer contract.

There is also still no further progress on Walcott, who has rejected a five-year deal worth £75,000 a week. Arsenal do retain hope of keeping both players but, following the departures over the past 18 months of Cesc Fabregas, Samir Nasri, Gaël Clichy, Van Persie and Song, it does increasingly look like there will be further major changes next year.

The uncertainty over Walcott and Sagna comes at a time when the team are clearly in transition and already struggling to adapt following the recent loss of key players.

Tomas Rosicky, the Czech international whose time at Arsenal dates back to Thierry Henry’s first spell at the club, believes that a lack of confidence and a loss in passing fluency are among the key explanations for the current difficulties.

“Maybe I can bring calmness,” Rosicky said. “Sometimes we don’t keep the ball as we used to. I still think we have some very good players and we are better than what we are producing. We are good enough. It is a matter of confidence.

“You can see there are more back-passes than we used to do. You have to gain confidence by winning the next game.”

Arsenal play West Bromwich Albion at the Emirates on Saturday and, after the boos that followed their 2-0 home defeat against Swansea City last week, Rosicky is calling for unity.

“I can understand the frustration as an Arsenal fan as well,” Rosicky said. “We have to know we have young guys and they feel frustration. We all have to stick together. That is what we did last season when ­everyone wrote us off and we came back stronger.

“If we are all on aboard, the ­Emirates is a great place to be and a great place to play football but we must stick together and fight.”

40. Gooner In Exile says:

But that’s the problem Slim, a couple of years from now, or a couple of years from the end of his contract (2014) which means 4 years from now. A couple of years is what he has, would you offer more?

Age is the important factor here IMO, and if Sagna going freed cash for Walcott what would you do?

41. slime says:

GiE,

I didn’t realise he still had 2 years left!

My point was why would he keep others until 32 but not Sagna, but having read GN5′s comment I can see that he has actually been offered the same as everyone else, which means that he should sign and be quiet, just like everyone else!

Otherwise, get rid.

Also, I would go for Santon, who can play both flanks.

From Arsenal.com – more stats to bore you stiff.
    …………………………………………………………………………..

Behind the Numbers: Our last 100 debutants

This week our statistician Josh James takes an in-depth look at Arsenal’s last 100 debutants.

Six of the seven substitutes Arsène Wenger named for the Champions League game on Tuesday are products of the Arsenal academy, as is Jernade Meade, who made his first start for the first team against Olympiacos.

Chuba Akpom, Zak Ansah, Martin Angha, James Shea, Sead Hajrovic and Elton Monteiro all progressed through the youth ranks at Arsenal.

In fact, of the last 100 players to make their first-team debut for the Gunners, 47 came through the Club’s academy system, underlining Arsenal’s commitment to youth development.

This season three of the eight debutants came through the youth set-up – Angha, Serge Gnabry and Meade.

Over the past 11 seasons, an average of 4.3 youth players per season have broken into the first team, including the likes of Jack Wilshere, Wojciech Szczesny and Kieran Gibbs.

Since the turn of the century, the season which has seen the most debutants was last term (2011/12), when 14 players made their bow. Five of those players came through the academy, a figure bettered in 2009/10 when seven of Arsenal’s eight debutants that season were youth system products.

Of the last 100 players to make their Arsenal debut, 29 are English, followed by French (14) and Spanish (seven).

In all, 33 different nationalities are represented among the 100, with German (three) this season’s most popular nationality – Thomas Eisfeld, Serge Gnabry and Lukas Podolski.

The most common competition for a debut to be made in is, perhaps not surprisingly, the League Cup (53 per cent), followed by the Premier League (32 per cent).

The manager also prefers to give players their first taste of action in home games (58 per cent), which may also go some way to explaining the excellent playing record the last 100 debutants have enjoyed. Seventy-five per cent of them tasted victory in their first game, with just 10 per cent losing on their first outing.

West Bromwich Albion have proved the most popular opposition for debut-makers (eight), followed by Everton, Manchester City, Rotherham United and Sunderland (seven each).

The most debuts in one game came in a Carling Cup match against Rotherham on October 28, 2003, when no fewer than seven of the 14 players used were representing Arsenal for the first time.

Among them was Cesc Fabregas, who went on to make a total of 303 appearances for the Club, more than anyone else on the list. Arsenal won the game 9-8 on penalties, after a 1-1 draw, with four of the debutants converting in the shoot-out.

Goals in penalty shoot-outs, of course, do not count as senior first-team goals, but among the last 100 debutants, five players have marked the occasion with a goal.

Sanchez Watt, currently injured while on loan at Colchester, is the latest example of that. He found the net in the 2-0 Carling Cup home win over West Brom on September 22, 2009. It remains his only goal for Arsenal.

On the opening day of the same season Thomas Vermaelen scored in the 6-1 away win at Everton on his first-team bow, while Samir Nasri was on target on the first day of the 2008/09 season, in the 1-0 home win over West Brom. Prior to that Emmanuel Adebayor netted against Birmingham on his debut in February 2006.

The only other example of a goalscoring debut on the list is American Danny Karbassiyoon, who netted his sole Gunners goal in the Carling Cup win over Man City in October 2004. Arsenal’s other goalscorer that day – Robin van Persie – was also celebrating breaking his duck.

Van Persie is the highest scorer among the 100, with 132 overall. On average each player on the list scored 7.1 goals, while the debutants went on to play an average of 57.22 games each for the Club (including the 42 players who are still on the Club’s books).

Nine of the 58 players who have since left did not go on to make any more appearances for the Gunners’ first team after their debut. The last player to make his debut – Jernade Meade – took the overall

43. slime says:

What really pisses me off these days is that if Wenger and Walcott (or Sagna) actually sat down in a room together and discussed the contract situation, it would probably be signed and sealed.

Instead, it’s someone working in the clubs best interests (probably IG) and someone working in the players bank’s best interests (agents) who are trying to negotiate a deal. At no point is anyone actually looking out for Wenger or the player!

People may argue that the agents work for the player etc but does anyone remember Scott Sinclair? or Shaun Wright-Phillips? Where the hell are they now? Sitting on benches or wasting their careers because they listened to agents!

44. slime says:

Look at Scott Parker. Looked a great prospect at Charlton, got his head turned by Chelsea, sat on the bench for 3 or 4 seasons and now the poor lads having to play for Spurs!

Ridiculous….. ;)

45. Gooner In Exile says:

Totally agree Slim.

The last evidence we have of a player going agai at his agents is Arteta last summer, when he told them to get the deal done.

Reading books of many old pros they often say they didnt even look at the piece of paper before they signed it, some never even employed agents for football side of their lives. I believe Milner has always chosen to be represented by the PFA in contract negotiations which in my view is to be applauded, their brief is the best deal for the player, not the most commission for themselves.

46. Gooner In Exile says:

By the way GN5 forgot to say nice touch leaving Liverpool out of the line up :)

GIE,

It wasn’t intentional – I only looked at teams above us in the standings, but I cannot see them as a serious contender for the tops four.

48. goonermichael says:

Chelsea winng at Norwich isn’t a given. They beat us and the mancs

Nice work Gn5

As you yourself say, predicting so many results is a tricky business.

BUT… it seems to me that what your Post is really saying is that despite everything seeming so gloomy, our position is not nearly as dire as the headline writers would have you believe.

The one current unknowable is if – and when – we will turn our form around.

It may just be that a small spark – like the return of Rosicky (who played like the team captain on Tuesday night) – is all that’s required.

50. jnyc says:

I hope youre right.GN5. But the awful team play we are seeing stops me from being positive. This team needs to go out and show me on the pitch with consistent wins. I look over our results so far, and it upsets my stomach. Still no excuses.

That’s right Rocky we just need somebody to ignite the fire and turn the intensity onto high.

Jnyc,

Look forward my friend, what’s done is done, it can only and must get better..

53. Thank you GN5 for today’s post ……. I notice that not many are prepared to stick their neck’s out and challenge your predictions.

I feel that this team must put together a run of results sooner or later but I am also reminded of all those ‘end of season collapses’ recently where we just couldn’t understand why they couldn’t turn it around :(

Hopefully a win on Saturday will be the start of something good :)

54. Sheep Hagger says:

Hi
    Lets hope one or two of the teams above us does a Blackpool.
    At one point one season they were in the top 6@xmas.
    At the end of that season they were relegated.
    Prays……………

It’s any body’s guess Peaches, but it’s a given that past perfomances will not suffice.

I truly believe that the team is far, far better than we have shown to date. The youngsters seem a little stunned and many others are under performing – but 4th is still within our reach and very doable.

SH,

I choose Spurs and Stoke.

57. Sheep Hagger says:

Hi Gn
    WBA got to flop soon and west ham for me

GN5. Another positive post!

Spurs and the Oilers for me. Relegation is too good for them

Has anyone else heard that Walcott and Podolski are out for Saturday.I have seen it on a couple of sites only

60. slime says:

Sometimes players take a while to settle in and figure out each others play, add injuries to that and it is easy to see exactly why we are struggling. Things WILL improve, guaranteed, but I think what we are all worried about is wether it will be soon enough, or good enough, to get us top 4.

I think it will be, others think it won’t, but we all hope that come the end of the season we are where we need to be. Fingers and toes crossed.

61. slime says:

No Sagna, Kozzer, Theo, Pod or Santos.

Should mean a start for Giroud, Gerv, Ox as front 3.

62. Gooner In Exile says:

Sheep I reckon £5 on Swansea is worth a punt.

63. GunnrN5 says:

Team News: Podolski, Walcott and Sagna

Arsène Wenger revealed the following team news ahead of the West Brom game:

on the latest issues…
    Lukas Podolski and Theo Walcott (calf) are out. Bacary Sagna (foot) and Laurent Koscielny (thigh) are not back. From Tuesday night in Greece there are no new injuries so we have a selection from the combined squad of Tuesday and Saturday.

on Podolski’s injury…
    It is a hamstring. It should be short-term.

on Andre Santos…
    He will not be ready for Saturday but he is not far away with an abdominal injury

64. Sheep Hagger says:

Mr exile
    100-1 I don’t fancy a bet on that mate.

65. SharkeySuresGhost says:

Very comprehensive post. As you state its very subjective, but it rightly highights that a) all is not lost, and b) the importance of a win this Sat.

Sterling work

66. Wombledin says:

Rather pointless article, and if you honestly think we will win 4 out of our next 5 games you are more optimistic than most of us right now. What is a more relevant question is whether any team in 10th position at this stage of the season has ever finished in the top four? Even more relevant is that we are about 9-12 points down on the swingometer compared to last season’s equivalent fixtures, ie, we are getting less points this time against the same (or equivalent) teams in the same fixtures as last season. This makes it almost certain we will finish below the top four this season, barring Chelsea and Spurs collapsing and doing us a huge favour. Europa league, here we come!

Interesting question, Womble, about whether any team in 10th at this stage of the season had finished in the top 4.

In 2001-2 the mancs were 9th after 15 games with 21 points.

They finished 3rd with 77 points.

By the way, the chavs last 7 games has seen them draw 4 times and lose the other 3.

Also, before the spuds won their last 3 games, they had 3 defeats on the bounce.

68. Sheep Hagger says:

M laudrup on sky saying Michu can go for 30mill he’s taking the PisS

Sheep,
    where’s your avatar?

70. Sheep Hagger says:

Can’t do it I’m thick
    Sorry I’ve tried it’s my fault I’m welsh.

71. Sheep Hagger says:

I’ve been. Gunner since 1971
    This defence is our problem I think ,until we improve that I can’t see us winning anything.
    Soz to be so negative but that’s my view.

I’m not sure any of us are really thinking about winning anything at this moment in the season, Sheep.

Here’s someting to cheer you up.

I don’t care if it rains or freezes
    Long as I’ve got my plastic Jesus
    Sitting on the dashboard of my car
    Comes in colors pink and pleasant
    Glows in the dark cause it’s iridescent
    Take it with you … when you travel far.

Get yourself a sweet Madonna
    Dressed in rhinestones sitting on a
    Pedestal of abalone shell
    Going ninety I ain’t scary
    Cause I’ve got the Virgin Mary
    Assuring me that I won’t go to hell.

I bet you’re proud to be Welsh really.

74. Sheep Hagger says:

I was born here my ,parents English
    I’m a little English

So your first language is Welsh but your parents are English?

76. Sheep Hagger says:

77. SharkeySuresGhost says:

My surnames Welsh..its not actually Welsh, I mean its of Welsh origin. I’ve been to wales once. I’m proud of that

78. Sheep Hagger says:

That’s wye I can’t spell easer,etypeoin welsh

79. SharkeySuresGhost says:

Happy days – the Tiny Toots are thru. More Spursdays on ITV9 or C5, more Sunday games, more travelling.

80. Sheep Hagger says:

Wales lovely if u love sheep
    I like it here houses cheap here

81. Sheep Hagger says:

Ok aa mates I’m off to play tiger woods online beat some yanks
    Take care much love
    SH xx

82. Sheep Hagger says:

Lol
    Waits for morning post

83. Gooner In Exile says:

Seems our young keeper Reice-Cook had a bit of a game tonight in the 4-2 win over Bilbao in the Next Gen series, hopefully there’ll be some highlights on Arsenal Player

84. JM says:

Injured for WBA on coming weekend: Sagna, Koscielny, Podolski, Walcott, Santos + long terms Diaby, Fabianski.

Rosicky was withdrawn @half-time in CL, which could mean he might get a start; Arshavin also played 45mins. Mertesacker, Gibbs, Arteta, Wilshere, Cazorla and Giroud are rested so they should start.

I would go with a setup of 4-2-3-1:

Szczesny;;; Jenkinson, Mertesacker, Vermaelen, Gibbs;;; Arteta, Wilshere;;; Cazorla, Rosicky, (Arshavin);;; Giroud

Subs: Mannone, AoC, Ramsey, Coquelin, Gervinho, Chamakh, Squillaci/Djourou.

Surprise start for Arshavin as centre playmaker alongside Cazorla and Rosicky as wide attacking midfielders.

4-2-3-1:
    (utilising either a striker who may be very tall and strong to hold the ball up or a very fast striker) in having the support of 3 AMs (wide midfielders & centre playmaker) who could interchanging among themselves as well.
    Defensively, it would mod. into close resemblance 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1 (defending deep, compressing midfield). Offensively, it would mod. into close resemblance of a 4-2-4 (defend to counter-attack).

chas. “Going 90 I ain’t scary, cos I’ve got the Virgin Mary”.

Great stuff on a cold morning

JM. I cannot see AA as a starter but who knows?

86. slime says:

I’ve got to give a little bit of credit to the players and manager this week for coming out and making all the right noises about how they can fix the problem. The other day Rosicky was saying how we all needed to stick together and how even though the players probably don’t deserve it, he wanted the fans to try and get behind the team. Then you’ve got Arteta coming out and saying that the players themselves are demanding extra training in a bid to sort out current form. I’m pretty sure I’ve read some positive things from Szscesny and Cazorla aswell this week.

I reckon West Brom will try and make it a battle this weekend and I just really hope that the players can put their words into practice and we can battle our way to 3 points this weekend.

There’s a New Post ……………..

88. Feng says:

Doesn’t add up? Everton,swansea, WBA, totts would all still be higher up the table

89. It’s hard to find experienced people on this subject, however, you sound like you know what you’re talking about!
    Thanks

90. For newest news you have to pay a visit world-wide-web and on internet I found this website as a best web
    page for hottest updates.