Question Time

Swansea were very good, Arsenal were very poor. Why?

GiE – who was at the game – made this fine comment yesterday after the game………………..

Several times in the first half with the ball at centre backs feet I looked up to see a high Swansea line and Theo one on one with the left back. This is where you would normally see a player of Theo’s pace point to the space and start running. The statuesque nature of some of our players up front today was something I have seldom seen throughout Wenger’s reign.

Oh and finally what most impressed me with Swansea today the unselfish runs of their midfielders and attackers, runs they made willingly despite not being likely to be played in, it’s that movement that creates space for others.

In short the teamwork that we displayed at Anfield has disappeared, and the question that has to be asked is why? Same manager, pretty much same players, but for some reason the workrate has dropped…. fatigue I certainly hope not they are paid a lot of money to be match fit…..so it’s mental, confidence or desire. My fear is its the latter the only Arsenal voices in the dressing room are too young to be listened to.

Discuss …………….

How do you feel Arsenal – the business model – will cope with non-qualification to the Champions League if we fail to get into the top four?

MickyDidIt89 put this comment out there this morning …………….

Almost to a Man, and Woman, we will all continue to attend games whenever possible, irrespective of performance. Both GiE and Chas have made this point very well, in respective of meeting up with Mates and watching our beloved team and so on. On the whole, we have also lived through a wonderful period, as well as attending throughout darker days.

However, the 60,000 Emirates Project relies heavily on Corporate as well as attracting/keeping the new breed of more fickle fans, and to that end, I see real problems looming from the point of view of the business model.

The club has been holding onto a sum of money for some time that would be used for running costs should we fail to qualify for the Champions League, if that becomes a necessity then the funds available for players will be reduced. The new sponsorship/tv money will just get dropped into the hole created by no Champions Lge football.

Has the club mismanaged this ‘rainy day’ fund?

Kelsey has made some good comments recently which were echoed on Saturday Supplement ……….

I just watched Sunday Supplement and nearly word for word they are saying what I have been on for months. We are a team of individuals not a unit. The few big name players that are left will be having their doubts and will maybe also move on.
The board believe qualifying for CL is basically a trophy.

AW panicked last season and to an extent this and bought in the main sub standard players realising project youth had failed.

Danishgooner was very kind to put up some player ratings from yesterdays game which are always good for some discussion.

Player ratings

Chezzer 9.Absolutely kept us in the game with amazing saves.

Per 7.Solid as ever,had a lot of firefighting to do because Vermaelen went missing several times.

Vermaelen 3.His promising start to his is Arsenal career is well and truly over,pulled out of position to easily and generally all over the place.

Carl J 4.Completely out of his debt today,tried hard and that is a positive but simply isnt very good at the moment.

Gibbs 3. Woefull in defending,absolutely atrocious and going forward not much better.

Arteta 6. Did ok but not one of his best games,lost a lot of midfield battles.

Santi 8. The one intelligent player in attack,drove us on and tried his hardest but his colleagues are not on the same wavelength.

Walcott 3. When will Wenger realize that he is not a Winger,keeping playing him in a position he doesnt do well in isnt exactly doing him any good.

Podolski 2. The games biggest disappointment, looked tired and ragged,welcome to the PL.

Gervihno 3 Simply not suited to the Pl,to skinny and cant beat his opponent,atrocious decision making.

Jacky boy 5. Always tries but even he had a stinker and couldnt stamp his autorithy on the game.

Lots to chew over there, however you feel about yesterdays game or the way the club is going or whether you  think the manager has lost his players please don’t take your frustrations out on other bloggers if they don’t share your opinion.

A match report talking about a win would have been much more fun ………

peachesgooner

173 Responses to Question Time

1. Another question just posed by goonermichael on the old post ……

goonermichael says:
    December 2, 2012 at 10:25 am (Edit)

2. goonermichael says:

I haven’t read the post yet but I just saw a picture on twitter of liam ridgewell wiping his arse with £20 notes. What an scumbag

gm’s comment was in response to this:

There is general agreement that the players and therefore the team is underperforming.

So what motivates players?

In no particular order:

Money
    Loyalty to the club
    Loyalty to the manager
    Professional pride

The question we should ask ourselves is, which of the above is/are missing?

5. goonermichael says:

I haven’t even seen highlights so it’s difficult to comment but Gervinho not being able to beat his man is unfair. He often beats his man, It’s what he does after that can be frustrating

6. goonermichael says:

I’m at a loss to see how we could have gone backward from last season. It can’t only be becuse of that dutch wanker leaving

If you were that DW’s father, would you think he made the right decision gm?

The question should be ‘why did he chose to leave and how can we stop other players going the same way?’

8. Jed says:

Rasp

Money does not motivate (the minute you get a raise you take it for granted), the other three factors you mention definitely do.

It goes further than that though, there does not appear to be any plan or any method on display. Players need instructing as well as motivating and I saw no evidence yesterday that any of them knew what they were meant to be doing.

Much like the board and the owner – we’re clueless from top to bottom.

I have seen enough of Gervinho to make the assumption that he is a poor mans Hleb and is only suited to the left flank.I find him the most frustrating of our forwards.Full of trickery,beats the same man countless times and then often loses possession or generally slows the game down, yet is speedy but has a powder puff shot.Occasionally like so many others he has a good game.

10. goonermichael says:

Rasp
    The fact is we can’t compete with either of the manc sides or the chavs on wages or transfer fees which translates to trophies. The truth is if he’d stayed the mancs would be nowhere and we’d be much stronger. it comes down to money

11. goonermichael says:

If I was his Dad I probably would Rasp but I’m not so I think he’s a ………………………….naughty boy

12. gm,

Apparently Swansea’s wage bill is 17.5 million so its not just about money its also about motivating and tactics

in my opinion.

Thanks Jed, I think you are underestimating the psychological effect that money can play. If the top earner at a club is on say £120k a week and a young player on the fringe of the first team is on £20k, then that is motivation to aspire to become as highly valued.

Also if a player believes he is not being paid what he is worth he will either play his socks off in the hope of moving to a club that will play him more or he will fail to put in the effort because he feels undervalued.

14. goonermichael says:

Washing up from yesterday is calling so I’ll se you shortly. Onwards and upwards!

15. goonermichael says:

Romeo. I agree. We were talking about keeping players though.

Hi Romeo,

I said ‘in no particular order’, I agree its about motivation in terms of getting the best out of the players … tactics is 100% down to one man, so there is no room for conjecture on that point.

17. goonermichael says:

Romeo
    Your comment about Wenger deliberately compromising Bould yesterday was out of order unless you know either of them personally. If you do my apologies.

18. Jed says:

Rasp
    I see what you mean. There is clearly a problem with our wage structure at present.

But I don’t think it has a major bearing on our poor performances. We aren’t playing as a team, we need a coach who sees the need for tactics, organisation, method.

The biggest demotivator for me would be turning up at work and thinking that, whatever I do, it won’t make a difference because the bloke in charge isn’t doing his job properly.

Thanks Jed, I am in broad agreement with that. Someone yesterday gave the example of Churchill being ousted as PM after having led the country though WW2 in a way no other man could have …. I do see the parallels.

If you asked me who could have achieved what AW has in the last 15 years I’d say he is the only one and he has been incredible

If you ask me if he is the right man to take us forward from this point I’d have to say no.

He’s lost his magic in the eyes of the players, the pundits and in an increasing number of supporters.

We need a manager who worries about the football and nothing else. Let Gazidis do his job and just concentrate on creating the best team possible within our resources. A fresh face with new ideas and a clean sheet.

But this is not the time to change the manager – it should never happen mid season, it would be far too disruptrive. AW is not the type to resign mid season, but in the summer maybe.

20. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Peaches
    I couldn’t even be bothered staying up 2 watch the match.

21. Hi Rasp and goonermichael,

The reason I think that Wenger has lost the dressing room and his magic hat.
    He constantly demotivates the players, he has one proven centre forward in Pod and has one inspiring one in Theo (who happens to be our top scorer) but gives the centre forward role to Gerv this automatically sends the wrong vibes to the two mentioned players but also to the rest of the team and also Gerv who knows his best position is on the left so now you have our entire forwards and team totally bewildered this also happens with Ramsey ,Arshavin ,bendtner,Arteta ,Djourou and probably more.
    Telling the world that the players are Jaded this again demotivates the players even though I believe him on this as I think they are Jaded, Jaded from his man management.

22. goonermichael says:

Giroud isn’t a proven centre forward?

23. AJ says:

We do not cross often when Giroud is playing. And yesterday we saw a lot of crossing with no one in the box really, to win headers.
    No tactics, we simply keep going out wide, almost always with no consequence. Gone are the days when players could spot angles and put strikers through.

I think we should all avoid victimising players in regard to yesterday’s game. I don’t blame Jenks for the 2nd goal yesterday. We were chasing the equaliser and he wanted to make a sideways pass to keep the pressure on Swansea rather than a groan inducing pass back to the keeper. As it was, not a single Arsenal player reacted to his plight and dropped back to offer themselves to him as an outlet.

This lack of movement was evident throughout the game and highlighted to painful effect in the way that Swansea did it so billiantly.

As GiE pointed out, a player making a run (whether he receives the ball or not) is saying to the player in possession you can pass it here – you have an option. If the players are just static being shadowed by a defender, then nothing positive will come from the pass.

25. goonermichael says:

PHW has had a heart attack.

26. Jed says:

Rasp

You are spot on – a manager who focuses on the football side and does not get distracted by the business side.

Personally I would make the change now so that the new fella could buy a couple of squad players in the window and give us a better chance of getting 4th spot.

Without CL football it will be harder to persuade the right kind of players to join next summer.

Agreed though that there is in reality no possibility of him going before the end of the season, he’s got the politics all sewn up and nobody can touch him.

27. JM says:

@GiE’s comments:

“Several times in the first half with the ball at centre backs feet I look …… The statuesque nature of some of our players up front today was something I have seldom seen throughout Wenger’s reign.

…… In short the teamwork that we displayed at Anfield has disappeared, and the question that has to be asked is why?”

Our players are confused and unable to understand their roles clearly in the team setup. A 4-3-3 and a 4-2-3-1 are very different. The former has 3x forwards interchanging while the latter has 3x AMs interchanging between the main forward.
    A few players are doing the 4-3-(3) while some others are doing the 4-2-(3)-1 during match.

Gervinho is in his own 4-3-(3) mode, while Podolski and Walcott are in the 4-2-(3)-1 mode.

Actually imo, the best fit for our 4-2-(3)-(1) would have been 2x attacking midfielders (Cazorla, Wilshere, Ramsey, Rosicky) supported by a wide forward for can score goals (Walcott in the (3) and a main forward (Giroud) in the (1).
    {Think of Bayern Munich= 2x attacking midfielders in Ribery & Kroos, supported by wide forward – Muller & main forward upfront – Gomez or Mandzukic or Dortmund= 2x attacking midfielders in Goetze & Kuba, supported by wide forward – Reus & main forward Lewandolski … They played 4-2-3-1 successfully}

Podolski and Gervinho are more suited for a 2x forward upfront pairing e.g. in a 3-5-2/ 3-4-1-2 or 4-4-2/ Diamond 4-4-2 etc. where they strengths and weaknesses can complement each other for effectiveness.
    ==================================

@MickyDidIt89’s comments:

” ….. I may well be wrong, but it is my belief that CL football is very important to sustain what is, somewhat tragically, a business. …”

This is IG and his business team’s domain. What other sponsorship deals can we look forward to renew/ acquire other than the ones with Emirates and Adidas – sports merchandise and kits deals? Advertising boards around and in the grounds, F&B’s contracts, non-sports related merchandises, promotion of the Arsenal branding and marketing etc etc …

TV money and match earnings from EPL could become more crucial if we are unable to collect from CL & Europa matches earnings.
    ========================================

@Kelsey’s comments:

“….The few big name players that are left will be having their doubts and will maybe also move on.
    The board believe qualifying for CL is basically a trophy.

The question for me is if there is money available,will Wenger not spend it or is he under instructions to be over frugal?”

I believe more than finding and getting the right players at the right prices that Arsenal could afford, the more important issue is having leadership in our team (including the manager & coaching staff).

Manager – takes leadership in finding ways for TEAM (including himself) to learn from mistakes, improve on their overall performance (be it changing tactics, changing training methods -> fitness conditioning, mental preparedness, technical coaching, promoting/demoting players etc) and WIN matches. That is the goal of leading a professional football TEAM fighting for the top placing in a professional football league.

Coaching staff – takes leadership in giving specialised training for every players (some need better ball control and link-up plays, others train crossing and shooting, everyone take covering positions and moving into spaces etc), to improve each player on their weak areas and at the same time enhance their strengths so ultimately every player could synchonise and be on the same level of understanding –> functioning as a compact and competent TEAM.

Players – takes leadership giving their best in training and on actual matches, overcoming individual shortcomings and differences to work as a professional football TEAM and taking honour and pride in being professional footballers to wear the TEAM colours.

=========================================
    @goonermichaels’s comments:
    “I haven’t seen the game Rasp but Gervinho is good on the left so i don’t know why we don’t try it”

“I think Podolski was very pissed off at being put wide left with Gerv in the middle at the start of the game and although he should be professional and just do what is asked of him, part of me asks ‘well why the hell not try with him in the middle and see if he can prove that it is his best position’.

By the time he moved centrally in the second half he seemed to have lost interest completely.”

The curse of the 4-3-3 system: Our 3x forwards did not know basis of playing it, where they have to interchange positions between themselves. This is partly to let the opponent defenders to lose focus on who to actually mark and cover (e.g. CBs marking the forward in the centre, FBs marking the left and right forwards/wingers). If there is a Messi or C.Ronaldo in the front 3, the opponents would likely have 2 or 3 defenders marking/covering the star player, thus giving more space for the other 2 forwards to attack goal.
    =========================================

by JM (some says I am Jose Mourinho but what if I were Jorge Mendes instead)

Peaches Thanks for cobbling a post together.

It is strange to look at the table and not see us in the top few, it is ages since we were mid-table.

I have every confidence this is short-term.

Why are we struggling? I know the answer but am not telling without a very large “drink”

29. gm,

I did say probably more ;)

30. goonermichael says:

Have one on me Raddy

Come on Raddy – you can’t do that to us … it’s David Dein isn’t it :lol:

32. goonermichael says:

Romeo
    I’m sorry but I’m not going to read any allegations by a bitter knob like robson let alone take him seriously, The man says nothing remotely positive about arsenal.

33. Gooner In Exile says:

Okay let’s ask some questions:

Has any player who has left Arsenal in recent season put it down to the manager?

Would fans now prefer to have the failed “Project Youth” (Project Necessity imo) back?

How many players on the pitch yesterday would still be at the club on £30k a week?

How many players yesterday are motivated to secure first team football?

My answers:

Yes….be careful what you wish for

4 (IMO)

4 (IMO same as above)

So the long and short wages paid to reserve/squad players had nothing to do with yesterday’s performance, the majority are experienced top league players earning the salaries their status determines.

So the one thing we need to look at is personal professionalism.

Many of my clients are tied into my services, I can deliver good or poor service many wouldn’t have a clue as they are not accountants…my personal professionalism won’t let me do that.

I don’t personally think Wenger looked for excuses he said Swansea were the better team, he said the fans had a right to boo. Both comments aimed at the team….I’msure they were told as much at half time and we did see a far better second half display, but the question needed is why did it have to wait til half time.

Final word on Podolski he a proven goalscorer not a proven centre forward. In the PL you need to play at a certain level, he had hero status at Cologne, he needs to earn it again here. And goals aren’t enough.

On the rare occasions we counter attacked yesterday Swansea retreated in numbers and we were soon 3 on 8, when Swansea counter attacked we were left 3 on 3 (+Szczesny).

What does that say about the teams hunger/desire?

34. Tony Adams mentioned it on ESPN he said that he doesn’t think that Bould is allowed to coach the defence as he would like.

Haha thanks GiE, you’re a very bright guy and a much better supporter than me … but can you really fail to attribute any of the blame for the fact that the team is playing poorly to the manager?

How do you instill hunger/desire into the players? Who do you think is responsible for instlling hunger/desire?

Wenger isnt doing his job properly??

In the last seven years he has lost ten, yes ten, players to clubs who have had more financial clout. Despite this stabalisation he has got us top four every year.

Now ask yourself why these clubs, who are all competing in the Champions league and trying to win there respective leagues wanted these players. They did so because Arsene Wenger procured them young and turned them into world class players.

Those of you who critisise Arsene Wenger are wrong. There is no silver bullet to mend our problems. Our lament does not lie on the pitch, it is a manifestation of a ten year transitional period were Wenger and the coaching staff staff have had to endure destabalistaion year in year out.

Our problems lie off the pitch, namely our inability to compete financialy. the Club is trying to address these dificulties by increasing our turnover and playing its part in the political sphere were it campaigns with others for finacial restraint.

Thankfully the Club is run by clever people who will not knee jerk to growing fan opinion. We have been on a long road since the move, and its not over yet. There are more lows to come before we reach the heights.

The whole premise is to position ourselves to a stage were we can can stand up with the biggest clubs in European football.

As for the short term, we are not as bad or as far away as some people make out. A couple of buys and a bit of tinkering will push us right back up there.

37. Gooner In Exile says:

Romeo….the key words “think”.

And as I constantly say if Wenger and Bould are so at odds in footballing theory why would Wenger promote him, and why would Bould have been allowed to develop our youngsters over the last few years?

I personally hoped that Boulds move up to the big leagues would mean a few more players making the walk up the corridor to the first team changing room.

38. goonermichael says:

Adams is not the sharpest tool in the box either. if a current player said it I’d take it seriously

Peter Hill Woods had a heart attack. i hope the old boy makes a full recovery to enjoy our future success and regale us with his old duffer comments.

40. Gooner In Exile says:

Rasp I don’t think there’s a competition over supportiveness, I think the majority here are good honest Arsenal supporters and we are all looking to find reasons.

Yes blame can be put at Wengers feet, and no I don’t like doing that, but I will always look at the players, maybe it’s because I’ve played in teams where I have seen the manger undone by players who couldn’t/wouldn’t carry out their responsibilities on the pitch. But because they were on £20pw (big money in the lower non leagues) they couldn’t be dropped in place of the reserve teamer with far greater application.

Chelsea proved last season and this that players can make or break a manager, and to an extent they are proving it again this season.

They did not do well in the CL but were going a lot better in the league, now they’re not backing their new manager. Is Benitez a bad coach, not judging by what he managed at Liverpool. Is AvB a bad coach? Not judging by his performance at Spuds.

I do not see changing the manager as the “magic hat”. AW has proved time and time again that he has the ability to produce – why assume he will not do so again?

Who is to say he has lost the dressing room? Who told you?

Only two people know if there is a problem between AW and SB – and they sure as hell are not going to tell the press. It is pure media bullshit.

How does anyone outside the club know how much time AW puts into worrying about the finances as opposed to football issues? Again just speculation.

To say the new signings are mediocre and the cause for the problems is simplistic and untrue.

As is the (to me) bizarre statement that Podolski stopped playing/couldn’t be bothered because he wanted to play centrally and had given up when moved inside. I am sorry but that is insulting to the player – he may have struggled yesterday but it certainly was not due to lack of application.

If there was a problem upfront then it was the inability to stay in any position, Theo was wandering al over the line as was Gervinho. We had no focus and this was why we looked better with OG on the pitch.

Every one of our players gave 100% but it wasn’t enough against a Swansea team who looked and played like Arsenal. They even played rope-a-dope in the second half which meant we were exhausted in the last 5 mins and open to the sucker-punch.

The Cavalry has arrived :-D

43. There was an interview after the game at the beginning of the season were the Wenger was asked i think it was after the city game.

Commentator: Arsenal are defending much better this season they are more resilient there is something different how much is that down to Bould?

Wenger : its not down to Bould its down to me i do the coaching.

It was that kind of sentiment.

44. Gooner In Exile says:

I too hope Peter Hill-Wood makes a good recovery.

He is part of the Arsenal family whatever anyone thinks of his views or opinions or management his support of our Club is unquestionable.

I’m sure in other parts of the blogosphere the news will be celebrated and that’s the thing I hate about the Internet, he is a human being after all, and before people are moved to write their bile I wish they would consider that fact.

45. JM – your comment @11.45 is wonderful, you have a very complete understanding of the differences between 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 and why the players are failing to understand their roles. Are you a coach?

I might nab you to write a post for us ………

46. goonermichael says:

I agree with everything you just said Raddy except the last 2 paragraphs as I haven’t seen the game

47. Hello and good day to AAers. I know I am still a relatively new fan on this site. However, I try to put forward my views in a direct, witty and respectful way
    I watched the game on a live stream suggested by Sharkey on this site yesterday. A lot of my thoughts were on Slim on his first visit to The Emirates. Because of that, my knee-jerk post-match reaction was to be philosophical. Tomorrow may be better I hastened to think after reading his first posting after the game.
    Now, if you all will pardon me, I can feel a lengthy bawl coming on.
    I still felt O.K. at bed time. I awoke after 3 hours sleep, the memory of Jenks. taking the ball from level with their penalty area, being put under pressure by their no.7(Leon Britton?), running back towards the halfway line and in a panic, setting Michu up for a second goal with the help of the man on his case.
    It was obvious our right back was in trouble as soon as he got the ball. We were pressing for an undeserved equaliser. No-one seemed to have seen that he needed an outlet really. They were all bunched up in and around Swansea’s penalty area waiting for the delivery of a cross. Not a pass, a cross. How many goals do we get from crosses per season?
    We play 4-3-3. How many times recently have we done justice to that formation this season?
    By the time I finish this post, I may be repeating what others will have said. This brand of football is not worthy of Arsenal. Where are we heading? We live in hope for a ECL place? At this rate we will be extremely fortunate to finish in the top 10!!
    I can see the writing on the wall for Wenger though he is not the one that is needed to go. Things may not change for the better without a major shake up. Stan Kroenke seem to think that a football club should be run like Morrisons in that if a pot can be cooked on a cheaper budget then the customers will love it because the price is more important than the taste. He is wrong! Taste is more. Where did he come from? we are not Wigan! I hate him!
    Wenger is offering himself as a scapegoat to those fat-cats on the board. Including Peter Hill- Woodhead, and if this blog supports a chairman who at the AGM patronisingly “thanks us fans for being interested in the club” God help us. Our thousands to spend are obviously not as important as the millions they want to earn.
    My toys have suffered enough!
    Now, where did I chuck teddy’s head. O’ dear, where are his arms and feet. I must get them back in the cot before mummy finds out that I took them apart again.

48. Hi Raddy,

So Arsenal where motivated yesterday?

Raddy,
    What Arsene has achieved is in direct proportion to the number of very high quality players in his team.

Thanks Raddy, I’m sure you didn’t mean to add a quote from one comment to a quote from a different comment and present them as a single opinion. I understand you wished to throw a blanket over the whole negativity thing and that is what I was alluding to when I said GiE is a better supporter than me .. apparently you are too :P

I would ask you, what would it take for you to consider ‘the other option’?

51. That was an abridged version of my thoughts. I have got teddy and the rest back together. I am going back to bed glad that I am going to be alone till feeding time ‘ 4ish. Never mind about Olympiacos. West Brom. next in the league. Oh no!! they are goodish too. Hope for the best, or I may have to sleep till Christmas eve!!!!!!!!!

52. Sorry Raddy but every one of our players did not give 100%, our three forwards spent a lot of time standing still, there was very little movement. I have to give credit to Jack who made himself available and certainly did a lot of running around.

I think Theo would have shone more but he was hampered by Swansea’s hi-line – every time he looked for a chance to make a darting run he had to check himself as he would have been off-side.

53. Oooooh get me, talking about players being offside ;)

54. Are we allowed to point the finger at certain players now?

55. Jed says:

MickyDidIt89

Whilst I’ve not checked that comment against the stats, instinctively I suspect you are right. The question is: how should the club react?

Before Oligarchs and Oil Sheiks we could afford good wages for good players and had a head start in importing excellent but undiscovered foreigners. Wenger’s method worked well enough in those circumstances (he also inherited an amazing back 5 but let’s leave that on one side). Today, and even in a couple of years with the new sponsorship deals, we are only going to be the 4th richest club in the country, so we are not going to be able to buy and pay top dollar compared with the top 3.

That suggests to me that we need to find a manager who is able to accept and adapt to this environment and get the best performance from his squad. In other words one with very different skills from Wenger.

Logically your observation suggests to me that we need a change of approach and a new manager to implement it.

56. Hi Tony – of course, who would you like to point the finger at?

Rasp. Not a lot. I support Arsenal not AW but I am a fair man and given AW’s track record he deserves the opportunity to correct the problems.

If we finish lower than 6th I would ask him to retire.

Romeo. AW says they were physically jaded – I choose to believe him. That may make me naive but I do not accept that any top pro goes out in front of 60+k fans and billions watching on TV and doesn’t give his all. To me it is inconceivable.

Micky. Chicken and egg ……

I must say, I find it a little spooky how people are always happy to judge the players, as well as giving them scores out of ten, but refuse to allocate the same treatment to The Manager.
    For what its worth, I give him a 3 for yesterday.

Hi Tony, you never need to apologise for venting your feelings in such a respectful way on AA. At times like this, the site acts as a catharsis for our frustrations.

Those of a generous disposition will try to lift our spirits and offer positives to counteract some of the angst. The truth invariably lies in the middle. Personally I hope Raddy is correct and the manager pulls things round. He has done it in the past (last season) ..but …… no, I think I’ll leave it at that ;)

60. If playing for Arsene Wenger isn’t the motivation and playing for Arsenal isn’t the motivation and we don’t have the money to attract the players we’d like to have at the club then why would anyone join us except that it’s a job?

61. Rasp, you seem to be an all round intelligent man. So unlike some of our players.

Peaches. This is an AW tactic. Thierry was told to limit the number of runs he made because the body only has capacity for limited bursts (which as a man I can testify to – especially as I get older!)

But here rests the defence. BR believes the defendant to be innocent and asks the Jury to acquit his client :-)

Rasp,
    but……last season we had a match changer in Van Persie, and that is the massive difference.

:lol: Micky … that was just one of my ‘buts’.

Aging men and limited bursts
    And on that ROLFING note, its away for me :-)

66. The under 21’s are playing against Reading at 12.55, Eisfeld is included in the squad.

67. Hmmmn not sure an acquittal is justified Raddy, I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt this time but if you could have a word ……. :)

One thing I am dead against is any type of ‘panic buying’ in January.

I’d rather accept that we’re not going to make top 4 and get players of the right quality in the summer. I think the whole scenario of buying in January (particularly from abroad) is fraught with problems.

I’d happily take Fellaini or maybe one or 2 others from the prem but consider it extremely unlikely they would be available.

Tony. You expect footballers to be intelligent???

Right, I have had enough of positivity.

Gervinho, Theo, Podolski, Gibbs, Arteta were all pants yesterday.

TV made a few mistakes but really tried to rally his team and the last ditch tackle on Dyer was brilliant.

We had 5 players who did OK – TPIG, BFG, Corporal, JW and Santi. which is not enough to win any games.

70. Shard says:

Romeo

As regards your insinuation about Wenger and Bould, and the purported quote, this was after the West Ham game, and Wenger said

“He has done well. But it is difficult. You cannot really measure what the coaches bring to the team. We are a united team with our staff – Neil Banfield, Boro Primorac and Steve Bould. We all do our jobs and we’ll see where we stand at the end of the season.”

Nothing controversial about that. Wenger has in the past said the same about himself as to it being impossible to calculate how much he can bring to the players and how much is down to the players themselves. The ONLY basis of this story comes from the mouth of one S.Robson. If Wenger and Bould didn’t get along to the point of it being a detriment to the team, Bould wouldn’t be assistant manager.

Rasp 12.46. That is what I expect to happen. We are not known for knee-jerk reactions unless AW has been tracking a player with a view to a Jan purchase.

Sunday shopping ahoy. Back later …..

72. goonermichael says:

If TW goes we’d better buy a replacement panic or no panic

73. I would like Coquelin to be given a proper role in the team. He has always looked like an Arsenal player, excellent ball skills, good discipline and reading of the game. I’m afraid we will lose him and I think he’s good enough to stay. He’s strong and knows how to shield the ball and find a pass. He can attack and defend and I feel should be developed as a DM. He’s been playing with our other young English players for 4 years now and you can see he knows how to link up with them.

Come on Arsene, some of the answer might be right under your nose. We need someone to link play between the defence and the mid-field while Arteta gets his breath back and to keep the ball moving forward.

Coquelin has experience of the premiership, he may be young but he’s eager to please. What’s the chance d’you think?

74. Thanx Peach,
    I will take you up on your 12.32
    Gervinho, who is a comparative young pup is not a very good player on the pitch. Off the park, he seems to be spouting the same waffle as the manager, patronising us fans with crap about things we already know, like , what it takes to win the ECL.
    If by some miracle Arsenal gets to the quarter finals of that competition, I will need to see him walk the walk to suit his talk. If he was to somehow be instrumental in winning us the Cup, I would publicly worship at his feet by licking my supper from his boots. However there is no chance of that happenning. He is no Pires!! He runs up blind alleys without looking up beforehand.

“My toys have suffered enough!” (TC)

Hilarious, I wish I had thought of it.

76. Raddy – positive schmositive!!!!!!!!! Happy Shopping ;)

Peaches

Wenger has actually tried that already this season and it didn’t really work. I share your concern over Coquelin being on the list odf players who are likely to want away, which I believe is one of the reasons that Wenger tries to give him a few minutes when he can.

78. Hi LB – maybe Coquelin will get a chance on Tuesday night but if it’s not a proper gelled team then it might not help his cause :( Can you think of another role for him? We have so many attacking mid-fielders ………

79. Hey Raddy, if they can’t be intelligent then at least they can be instinctive. Could Jenko have done a back heel at some point instead of just running towards the halfway line looking for a sideways pass or the safety of his goalie?
    I was thinking that even before Man.U profited from many back-heels in their game.

Here’s a spattering of the “expert” opinions stated on AA ever since we lost to an excellent Swansea team.

I told you so.
    My season long predictions have proved me correct.
    AW is distracted by the business side.
    AW has the politics all sewn up, and cannot be touched.
    AW constantly demotivates the players
    AW has lost the dressing room.
    AW compromises Bould.
    AW and Bould are feuding.
    AW has lost his touch.
    AW is buying sub standard players.
    AW should retire.
    AW cannot motivate the players.
    AW plays people out of position.
    AW is stubborn.
    Podolski was sulking.
    Our board are stingy.
    Our board are complacent.
    We over pay our players.
    We should not have sold “so and so”
    The players are jaded.
    No evidence the players know what to do.
    Clueless from the top to the bottom.
    I’ve seen enough of “X” player.

I find the tone of the comments to be presumptuous and irritatingly lacking of any real knowledge or understanding of the true picture.

Opinions are expressed as “hard” facts when they are nothing more than uneducated shots in the dark.

The slaughter of AW is a disgrace.

My personal feeling is one of sadness due to the team that I have loved and supported for 66 seasons is now displaying mid table form, but that would never, ever lead to attacking the players, managers or board.

It’s one thing to be upset about our play and league position but pulling apart the very reasons for our previous successes is way beyond the pale

You see I know as little as the rest of you about what is “really” going on inside the club so I refuse to portray myself as anything other than a seasoned supporter who will continue to support the club through thick and thin.

Thank goodness AA has beacons of sanity in Rasp, Raddy and TMHT.

I

GN5
    I think I agree with pretty much all of those “expert” opinions.
    Yikes :-(

MD89,

It’s one thing to have opinions but yet another to slay the goose that laid the golden egg.

83. slimgingergooner says:

GN5,

Hats off.

84. goonermichael says:

Get in Wimbledon

85. goonermichael says:

Did you have a good day yesterday slime? apart from the obvious

Thank you Slim – I’ll add you to my list of sane AAers.

GN5,
    No-one wishes more than me that Monsieur Goose would get cracking and lay another egg
    Slim
    Do stop sucking up to GN5, and show a little sympathy towards us experts :-)
    Right, I’m not coming back until I can think of something positive to say.

I may be a while :-)

89. goonermichael says:

It’s started snowing Micky. be careful :)

Oh no, I’m not on the list.

Puts hands on face and takes up the same pose as the character in the famous picture the

“Scream”

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

91. goonermichael says:

Cup draw coming up. Manu away I reckon

Any home draw is good apart from Swansea

93. I am so tired of lame excuses to defend walcott, that if played as a striker he will be our savior. He still is an average player who will be out of his depth if the opposition defends deep. He only thrives when given space to run which bottom 12 teams won’t give.

What can he give as playing as a striker? he will just be a better defoe. I am pretty sure arsene doesn’t want such player. Certainly not for above 100k.

94. goonermichael says:

Swansea away

95. goonermichael says:

Mancs away to west ham

96. slimgingergooner says:

GM,

The AA regulars were good company but the result was a real sickener. I’m obviously a sucker for punishment though because I’ve just got a ticket for the West Brom game next week! Lol

Swansea away in the FA Cup! Revenge?

97. Football gods having a laugh methinks :lol:

98. goonermichael says:

It’s always good when you meet any of the AA crowd. You couldn’t meet a nicer bunch of people. Especially me

99. goonermichael says:

We’ll knock them out Peaches.

100. Sheep Hagger says:

Welcome to Swansea in the new year.
    I will put the Arsenal flag out for us.

So I am insane because I wear my heart on my sleeve and tell it like it is :). No I am just insane

Its great being able to edit comments from behind the scenes – did anyone notice I took LB’s place on the list? :lol:

103. slim – I just opened an email from my mum which says

Poor slimgingergooner

He had a bad, long day

kelsey. You are just jealous because you are not a beacon of sanity

Rasp :-D

105. gm – I’ve just looked for the next Sunday game for you – its Man City!!!!! Now, knowing how effective it was having you there for the slimy scummers are you planning to try to get to that one?

106. slimgingergooner says:

Peaches,

I had a great day, just a terrible evening! :lol:

Will be doing it all again this Saturday. Think I’ve got the bug!

107. harry671 says:

Well I have ventured from under my quilt, the one place I find solace when the chips are down………

Firstly well done Peaches on cobbling together an article……

Secondly, JM @ 1145, you have correctly pointed out that the team doesnot understand its shape and formation, that coupled with playing too many players in positions they do not like, does not help, further compounded by lack of confidence.

Rasp at 11.29, whereby I agree the question needs to be asked, is Wenger the man to take us forward……..for now, I would wait….but not long…as for once I am truly not sure, i have wobbled as you know before, but always ended up saying give him longer to sort it……

I am at a lost as why we have struggled to get things right, as a club, what are we trying to achieve, just what exactly is the business model? none of us truly know the overall stragetic plan, we can guess, Project Youth has failed or has it? is it still there?

Did wenger truly panic buy? who knows, none of us or the press know, pure subjective speculations and comments, nothing more…..The blogosphere is great to chat and offer opinion, but not one of us know the answers fully……….

I cant blame wenger fully as I do believe he operates under some sort of restraint? what? I am not sure, but he once said, “The truth will come out one day” and purely on that alone I will not ask for his sacking………

But something is wrong, something “seems” rotten, someone somewhere has made an error of judgement, you cannot expect fans to pay these prices and not be held responsible……but yet again thats just my opinion, but the fans are the lifeblood of the club and will question the fabric that the club is built around….

Last season was similar, wenger dragged us kicking and screaming into 3rd from no where, so he can do it again in my belief. we need to get behind the team and just hope it gets better………

Then when the season ends, the question, should be asked and answered with all things in the open, what restraints are there on wenger, what is the business model, are we truly competing or not…..longevity of the club is paramount, but success on the pitch is part of that, not just flirtation with the CL, in 2003 / 04 we truly were the best team this league had ever seen, i didnt necessarily think we would win year after year, but no titles since is very damning on someone………….

Look on the bright side Kelsey
    You and I are at the very top of the Expert List

109. micky :)

Well done Harry for coming out from under the duvet …… nice to see you :)

110. slim – next Saturday you’ll go home with a better result

Hi Harry, great to read your sage words again.

I wouldn’t want a change of manager right now for two reasons. First it would be far too disruptive to the team and unfair to expect a new manager to come in and make an instant difference; secondly I agree AW should to be given a chance to turn it round.

If AW resigned right now (which I don’t expect) then there is a good chance that SB would be put in charge at least to the end of the season rather than the club feverishly looking around for a successor. No top manager that we wanted would leave his club half way through a season to take up another post.

112. goonermichael says:

I’m off out then I’ll buy a ticket Peaches. I didn’t help with the chav game :(

113. goonermichael says:

I bought a ticket so I’ll see you there!

Hello Harry

You and i are not the first to say something is wrong,yet can’t put our finger on it.

I don’t even consider Wenger suddenly leaving but the possibility that he may at the end of the season is increasing.

midway through the so called transition period when we still had Clichy,Fabregas,Nasri and even Adebayor (I have omitted RVP as he was later) AW said words to the effect at the end of the season “the hardest job i have got is to keep this team together” as i am sure he knew the poachers would be out, as they were.

Now i think most will agree that our quality of player on a consistent level has diminished and therefore our free flowing football has suffered

.As mentione a thousand times our quality of depth is questionable especially considering the amount of players who are constantly injured and that Wilshere is like a new signing and the OX is still learning and Ramsey is unfairly picked as a scapegoat which can’t help his confidence..

We continue to buy from abroad as I am always told that buying from within the EPL is too expensive, a theory that i don’t agree with. nevertheless in AW’s own words he always says that these imported players need a bedding in period of at least half a season though there have been a few exceptions.

So one can’t have it both ways and maybe our scouting system isn’t what it was.There are so many factors to consider but at the moment we look a bit of a mess.

115. Gooner In Exile says:

Just did a bit of scary maths:
    2012:
    Current incomes
    Arsenal Matchday revenue £94.5m
    CL Income £30m

2014
    Increases to come
    Assume no CL
    Emirates deal £24m
    Kit Manufacturer £19m
    New PL TV rights £30m (assumed based on level of increase).

We could have 46% of the ground full and have the same Revenue…..do we matter?

So I was on the list, it all makes sense now. ROLF

117. barumgooner says:

I must confess to only reading some of the comments today so sorry if im just repeating things already said but the blame has to lie with the manager. Theo is not a winger, Pod is not a winger, Rambo is not a winger, Gerv IS a winger so why does AW insist on playing everyone out of position. Early on in the season we had just bought 2 shiny new strikers but played a winger up front on his own putting Pod out wide and Giroud on the bench. Yesterday we could have mixed it up and played Theo and Pod up front but no. Arsene Wenger has been a very good servant for the club and will remain a legend but I think he has just run out of ideas and we need a new man at the top. I think we all hoped Bould would have an influence but in truth he is still told what to do by his boss and the boss is past his best. I am not a hater of Arsene, far from it but I am fed up of this situation and this attitude that its ok for The Arsenal to be mediocre. We have some very good players at the club and with a few tweaks we are not far from being a very good side but a new leader is required. Personally I would love to see Moyes take over at the end of the year…..but that probably wont happen.

118. Gooner In Exile says:

LB I’m now upset it wasn’t me replaced by Rasp :(

GN5 very few of the regulars are posting opinion as fact, however I know for a fact that Podolski and Walcott were not worth two starting positions yesterday based on what they brought to the team.

119. barumgooner says:

I do agree that no change of manager should be made mid-season.

Thanks GN5. I always suspected you were a man of impecable taste.

But i have to ask this question. Would anyone realy want to be a member of a club that i was a member of ? hahahaha

121. slime says:

There was a point towards the end of the game yesterday when 2 guys sat behind me started to have a serious discussion about how we needed an Andy Carroll or Peter Crouch at the Arsenal.

Now, things may not be great at the moment, and we may be lacking a plan B, but at no point will this club ever be made better by an Andy Carroll or a Peter Crouch!!!!

Wenger out, Allardyce in! :lol:

122. slime says:

I’ve just come up with the perfect job for Allardyce!

Every time a club is thinking of sacking their manager, Fat Sam comes in for a month and takes control of the team. The fans and players get to see just how bad the level of football could be without their current manager, and they are left begging the manager to come back!

Fat Sam gets paid,
    Fans are happy,
    Manager keeps his job,
    Chairman doesn’t have to find a new man,
    Perfect!
    :lol:

123. harry671 says:

I agree Rasp, he wont go yet, we wont push and he wont resign, all I want is honesty, from the club, no spin, no false promises, just a clear message, this is what frustrates me more than anything.

We have a fairly reasonable squad with talent, an acceptable level of depth in most areas, except maybe striker. It would only take 20-30 million tops, 2-3 players and we would right up there.

The club must be honest with us, the fans deserve to know, whereas I would not join the black scarf mob, i do understand their frustrations………

The next biggest question Rasp, apart from yours about who should take us forward.(and it can be asked and answered now)…………is…….

Was that the move to the Emirates was sold on the promise of competing with the top teams in europe, so Ivan & Stan…..

“Can the board say we are competing?”……………

124. Hi Raspers, re. your 11.29, it was me who mentioned the Churchill/Atlee comparison yesterday.

Still a bit numb after yesterday, and not just from the cold.

If anyone fancies another post-mortem on yesterday my thoughts (plus the usual selection of grainy pictures) is over here: http://www.7amkickoff.com/2012/man-at-the-match-chary-lack-of-quality-on-show-as-swansea-triumph/

Hi harry, hope you are well. We will compete, it will take another year or two. The landsape has become more cloudy with Chelsea and City, but the financial gap will close.

126. harry671 says:

Hi TMHT, I am all good, except for the Gooner Horizon been bleak……

I agree with your sentiments and I have said similar, year in year out, I defend the club and wenger with passion, I do believe, but even I am waning……

If the Board had said, right, we move grounds, we consolidate and grow stronger financially, but expect no trophies for say 10 years, unless we get an injury free and luck ridden season, then we we challenge again afterwards, you know what I would have accepted that……..

I actually think Financial fair play has only just come into the reckoning and that was never a factor in their thinking, so is the plan in order or have they sold us down the river?

And to be honest, from my perspective, the board shoulders more blame than wenger, because otherwise surely they would sack him?

Great points Harry

It is ironic that the original strategy had nothing to do with FFP. This has only come into play with the advent of suger daddy money.

If, and i accept there are many grey areas in all of this, FFP has a positive impact and the “New” Board do not extract future revenues from the Club for themselves then we will be well placed.

The original plan was a good idea. If Abromovitch and the sheiks had not come along we would be nudging Utd for the top dog spot. The fact is however that these owners have changed English football for ever.

There is no silver bullet, but the twin effects of FFP nad increased revenues from the Grove move should, all things been equal, nudge us closer to the top.

Many questions, not a lot of answers. I guess we have to wait to see the outcome.

It is one of the most alarming things to me that people think the club lied when they told us that we needed to move to stay at the top.

They believed it whole heartedly but no one forsaw the effect that the introduction of Abramovich and Mansour’s money would have on Arsenal.

John Terry and Drogba would have been Arsenal players and we would have won the Champions League. The idea of JT being an Arsenal player may turn a few stomachs now but it is worth remembering that we (the collective)were falling over each other with excitement at the time.

129. Gooner In Exile says:

TMHT is right when the Emirates got the green light, Abramovich wasn’t there, neither was a global recession which saw bank funding dry up and come with extra guarantees. And then the Sheiks bankrolled City….that’s 50 players they can amass, plus traditional 25 at United suddenly the talent pool gets smaller.

Do I have sympathy with the We Want Our Arsenal Back…not really its never been “ours”….if they want a move to Bundesliga type scheme I’m all for it, but when one of their aims is a seat on the board for Usmanov you have to wonder how their campaign is about having our Arsenal back.

130. I hope that one day soon SILENT STAN will find his voice and use it to explain why he liked our club so much that he bought it.

“Our Arsenal back” means different things to different people, I would assume they want Arsene’s winning Arsenal back.

132. Humble fan that I am, was, and still is, I’m enchanted with thoughts of Woolwich ammo factory workers founding a football club, playing on mud at Plumstead Common, struggling to find a league to have them. Then driving forward with Norris & Chapman helping us to move toward being the Bank of England club. Bertie Mee, George Graham and now, the Wenger era. I find it all very romantic. I am Arsenal for life. I am not with the spend some f***ing money lot but
    it is good to be able to freely state that I will not have the WOOL pulled over my eyes even by a descendant of Sam Hill-Wood.and an American he wouldn’t have on the board but sold his shares to.

133. Brigham says:

We were utter garbage, they were good and we lost once again.

Boo boys piss me off as do those who left when they scored the first and second goals, support the team, that is why we go to football and if you cannot do that, then don’t go!

Good to see us applauding Swansea off the pitch, they deserved it and that was a typical Arsenal Class touch.

Seventh or eighth for us this season.

134. slime says:

Brigham,

I was saying exactly the same thing to the better half during half time.That’s how early it was that people were moaning and getting on players’ backs!

Harry is 100% correct when he refers to the clubs mis-management of the fans expectations. They should’ve just come out from the start and said that we were going to be financially restricted after the move. I don’t think there would be anywhere near the disgruntlement that there is now if it had been handled better. In fact, I think people may have actually appreciated just what a great job Arsene has done in the last 8 years, instead it’s the opposite.

Isn’t there a stat somewhere about a large amount of the teams that have moved to a new stadium in the last 10 years having been relegated!?

135. Arsenalista says:

First off. Sad news on PHW today. Long servant of the club.

Not a massive fan of the board but his family have played a part for a long time.

136. Arsenalista says:

On yesterday’s result, I’m still struggling for reasons.

Our eleven are better than Swansea’s but they outplayed us.

That is motivation and tactics. That is the managers area. They shoul have at least 10 points from Norwich, Sunderland, Fulham and Swansea and we have gotten 2.

Where would they be if Wenger had drilled the team well enough to beat them?

Exactly.

This team aren’t top notch but I think 15 are usually good enough but for me the squad stops there an when we miss players we have sub-standard performances.

Team lacks pace and power but we still have 15 players good enough to be here. That is a start.

I feel 4-4-2 would help.

That still doesn’t explain yesterday.

Is Arsene working with his hands tied? Yes
    Is that fair? Not really
    Has he got the fight to turn it round? Not sure

He is still a good man.

Hi arsenalista … In shouldn’t expand too much on that point or you may eclipse your own headline post …

Strange times for Arsenal at the moment.

Wenger has not become a bad manager overnight, but the team has not been functioning properly for some time.

We were second best against Swansea (from what I’ve read – it was the first game this season I haven’t seen); we were second best against Everton (and third best against ManUre!); we were no better than Villa, Fulham, Norwich and others.

Since the early season period of promise faded, the only time we’ve looked really good was against 10-man Spuds.

On current form we will finish mid table this season. I’m not saying that as a hysterical over-reaction: it’s based on what I said above (that we are not playing any better than a lot of the teams in the mid- to lower half of the table).

However, I don’t think we will finish mid table. I still back AW to find a solution. We may not get top four, but I fully expect us to be competing for a top four place right to the end of the campaign.

It could be another late St Totteringham’s Day.

139. Arsenalista says:

Would you pick a full team in Athens?
    Or would you rest them for WBA?

I think he will rest Sagna, Gibbs, Vermealen, Arteta, Wilshere, Cazorla, Walcott and Podolski.

Not sure what I would do.

140. Gooner In Exile says:

Stick whatever yoof is left out on the pitch, and if they win field the same 11 against WBA.

He will rest players for Athens, I think the bench on Saturday foretold that. No AA, Chamakh or Djourou. I expect to see Coquelin, Eisfeld and probably Yennaris among others. I sincerely hope we put our strongest possible team out against W Brom.

142. Hi Rocky – can you have a look at a couple of emails I’ve popped in the post to you :)

143. Gooner In Exile says:

I’m afraid my swingometer agrees with Rocky first assessment.

Everton get 4th at the moment. Don’t think Toon or Reading will alter that

We’ve unearthed a very interesting comment on another blog but are struggling with the ethics of reproducing it on here without the author’s permission.

145. What are you like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, I’ take that as a no :(

147. harry671 says:

@LB: Not sure and havent said the club lied, just didnt fully explain the truth…………

Agreed that at the start, Roman and Sheikhy werent around and they have distorted the playground rules somewhat, but thats the point when the club really could have been honest about their plans and how long it would take……..

@GIE absolutely “Our Arsenal Back” statement cracks me up…..if these are people that only supported since wenger started, then they want arsene’s arsenal back, lol…. and if your pre wenger years, unless your from the 30’s which particular arsenal are you after!!??

All I want is little bit more truth, and then I will just get on with supporting my team till the day I die……..Gooner for life…..

Peaches
    I emailed you a couple of hours ago! :)

Rasp
    When does the Tavern widget go up for WBA? :)

149. Sorry Rocky, I shut the nuts down and have been staring at my private one :oops:

Just put it up Rocky … off to bed now, night all :)

151. goonermichael says:

Night night :)

152. Gooner In Exile says:

peachesgooner says: I shut the nuts down and have been staring at my private one

Too much information!!

Morning

micky if you got my e mail it should explain things a little clearer.

I have been thinking as I am sure all of you have about Wenger talking about the red light zone.

With the exception of players who have had long term injuries such as Wilshere and Rosicky why does he say after approx a third to a quarter of games gone in the season that many players are tired

155. barumgooner says:

Rocky. “Wenger has not become a bad manager overnight”..true but over the last 7 or 8 years he has lost track and possibly even interest in football as an art and become more obsessed with AFC as a business (which he has been very good at). I genuinely believe he has just run out of ideas and the players have no guidance or tactics, when things aren’t working he just looks totally lost and has no answer. I dont hate the man and will always see him as one of the greatest the club has had but he must imo step aside at the end of the season for the good of the team.

156. Gooner In Exile says:

Barum trophies may say otherwise but he developed a team capable of winning things they just didnt get over the finishing line be it because of leg breaks, referees, bad luck.

Unfortunately whilst the Emirates gave us enough money to fend off Chelsea (and they had done all their really silly spending) it couldn’t protect us from City. Who went on their own “buy whatever we can” spree.

Here’s the thing if we hadn’t sold Adebayor and Toure we would be nowhere near able to sign players we have done. It also protected us fans from price increases.

Since the move to the Emirates there has been one decrease (down 2.5% due to 15% VAT) and two increases (up 2.5% when VAT went back to 17.5%) and (6% which included 2.5% VAT increase when VAT went to 20%).

So only a 4% increase in ticket prices that the club has actually benefitted from in 7/8 years.

As if the weekend wasn’t bad enough they showed Spuds 4 – Arsenal 5 on Sky Sports Classics, despite some woeful defending by Kolo and Cygan the goals scored by PV4, TH14, Ljungberg, and Pires were all of the highest order, especially Bobbys feet as he scored, just sublime. A young Cesc played a gorgeous reverse pass for Freddie the whole Spuds defence and the commentators didnt have a clue he was about to do it, and then there was the PV4 goal, pressing and taking the ball from a midfielder in Spuds territory and driving past the defensive line to finish. We were so good…..still let in 4 though against a very average Spud side.

Big Raddy says:

December 2, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Any home draw is good apart from Swansea

Have to ROLF at that one :-)

And Good Morning All.

Kelsey

My guess is that by saying that they are tired he avoids having to say that they were crap.

Tired, Overweight, Buddhist…..
    We know :-)

As far as the huge step to move from Highbury must have been discussed at great length by the THEN BOARD and Wenger and several suggestions such as playing at Wembley(which was a disaster in the CL) and the possible move to Kings Cross being scrapped with what looks like not total agreement by everyone, the main purpose was to gain extra revenue for the club and at the same time hopefully attract good platers to supplement the team,which was then a major player in the hunt for trophies.
    Abramovich had already come along and the housing development was thought to give the lub extra revenue,but no one knew at the time the impact of a world wide recession.
    The flats have now practically all been sold and that revenue is now with the club, although it took longer than first expected because of the reasons stated above.
    IMO then chelsea and a few years later city became the real big hitters along with united who had under the wenger years had always ben in principle our direct rivals.
    years move on and our wage bill is ever increasing and out of interest nearly 50 million more than Spurs and we have made some really bad buys and in hindsight not many thought RVP would develop into a world class player and it hurts to say he is carying on the same as last year.
    lady luck has not been on our side but Wenger needed to be more desive with players that wee just not up to standard or had a history of being injured.
    project youth has not on the whole been a great success and our team has been ripped apart by barc,City and United.
    Having said all that the pattern of our play has changed dramatically over these last one and a half seasons and as i said yesterday we look like a bunch of individuals as opposed to a team that know exactly how to play with each other.
    we have severl players who IMO are playing out of position and wenger makes those choices.
    Can you honestly think he will flash the cash in january as it is not his way.
    I think he hopes finally everything will click again but i fear that will be too late for this season and then we will see if Wenger stays or goes.
    kroenke will remain quiet,gazidis will utter the odd comment but the concerns are for many if there has been money to spend and further to come then why hasn’t Wenger investd to some degree.
    I honestly don’t think his ego will let him and no one is telling him what to do.
    All teams suffer shock results but we have had far too many already this season and regardless of the results the enjoyment of watching some of our attacking moves has rapidly diminished.
    Opposing teams parking the bus doesn’t wash with me. We have been sussed far to easily (by teams we should kill off) as to our strengths and weaknesses and the majority of our recent results prove that.
    I think another aspect is that ony two seasons ago we were fighting on all 4 fronts up to march and now we look at best mid table.This is causing frustration amongst many supporters.

Should have made that a post as many will disagree with me.

LB morning

to be honest i never quite know how to take your responses in that you actually agree with me or not :)

Morning All

Well into the minus over here, snow abounds.

I think we will struggle to raise a decent team in Athens.

Good comment kelsey. One of the the things that gets forgotten is that there was a lump sum that had to be paid back against the loan for the Highbury Development that came out of football money – actually at the time I think it was the Ade and Kolo money so that wasn’t available when it came in to be spent on the team.

165. While it’s just us, there was a great comment from a guy called Jeff on lg last night at 20.36, have a read ……….

166. GiE – there is a difference between challenging for trophies and just making up the numbers. I don’t think Arsenal should ever be a ‘making up the numbers’ kind of team. Not now, not with Arsene as the manager. That’s the problem with ‘fourth as a trophy’ it takes the challenge away. It’s a reality but it’s not a trophy :(

Peaches. Has anyone at AFC ever said that #4th is a trophy”?

No. Why? Because the people fighting our cause on and off the pitch all want to be winners.

168. New Post …………….

Ohhh Peaches …. why did you suggest I went to lg and read what was a decent comment in a sea of excrement? It has ruined my morning.