When Saturday Comes…..

On Saturday I am going to be making the (roughly) 7 hour round trip to the Emirates Stadium from West Yorkshire in order to watch a group of 20-30 something men kick an inflatable piece of leather in between some sticks!

Madness, some might say, but for me this is the completion of a childhood dream.

The first time i watched Arsenal on the TV was during the 1993/4 European Cup Winners Cup winning run, and I knew they were the team for me. That’s right people, I was a glory supporter! But seriously, with future club legends such as John Jensen, David Hillier and Eddie McGoldrick wearing the red and white, what wasn’t to love!?

From that day forward, even through all the grief suffered at the hands of adolescent Leeds supporters (you know the thugs that you see in the news now, imagine them as kids!), it has been my dream to watch Arsenal in the flesh, and on Saturday 1st December, at 3pm, my dream will finally come true. For that one afternoon I will forget about all the clubs current ‘issues’ and this group of finally tuned athletes will be forever etched in my memory the same way that the team of Seaman, Dixon, Winterburn, Adams, Bould, Davis, Morrow, Merson, Selley, Smith and Campbell are.

My question to you this morning, and for some of you oldies this may be a tad difficult, but can you remember when you first fell in love with the Gooners, and what was it that set them apart for you?

And on a side note, is there anything that I MUST experience on my first trip to the Emirates (apart from a win, of course!)?

Written by slimgingergooner

172 Responses to When Saturday Comes…..

1. SharkeySuresGhost says:

You’re coming down just for the protest march…right ?? ;-)

Slim,
    An absolute must, and you will pass it on the way from The Tavern, is a full frontal of the old East Stand.
    Back to read properly in a minute.

Sharkey ROLF

SGG. Great stuff. I always enjoy reading how people get “addicted” (good title for a book :-) ).

My main recommendation is to get to the ground with enough time to have a good wander and soak in the atmosphere.

And of course, meet up with AA’ers at the Tavern

5. Morning all and thanks for a refreshing feel-good post Slim (why are people calling you “Slime” lately ?).

Answering the question, my attachment for The Arsenal solidified during the ’79 Cup final won by what we are now calling Alan Sunderlands headed goal.

Growing up in a ruff part of Essex it was always a choice, as a 5 year old, between the Hammers and the Good Guys and the latter it was, based on my intuition levels in 1972, yet THAT Cup final was my confirmation as a Goon.

I hope you do get to meet the AA gang in the Tavern, I will be their with 3 others( a work friend, Chary minor and his school friend) pr ematch – it’s where I go ot ge tmy match day relaxers, that and the bench outside (Mdi89 :) )

6. SharkeySuresGhost says:

The awkward silence, when someone slating a particular player for 90% of the game goes quiet when said player rams all that criticism back down his throat.

On the upside…the sheer diversity of the fan base still surprises me a little.

The approach to and first sight of the Emirates is truly glorious, (except from the Arsenal tube side..??)

The burger vans and their smells, and their hungry (and brave??) customers.

The badge, sweets and fanzine sellers.

The Raven Haired warrior Princess and her Flaxen Haired Twin

Best off all…up the stairs..onto the flat bit…and you’ll see the most beautiful of sights…the award winning lush green Highbury* pitch

* Yeah I know !!

7. Slim – you must leave enough time either before ( well it won’t be before because you’re going to be drinking with us ) or after to walk around the concourse inside the ground both upstairs and down.

There is so much memorabilia decorating the walls and you’ll only see a smidgen of it if you just go through your gate to your seat.

The club allows drinking on the inner concourse at various points until an hour after the game finishes so you can have a good nose around. Are you sitting upper or lower tier?

8. …….. and all the things Sharkey mentions above.

We walk past Highbury on our way down from the Tavern and join the throng outside Arsenal station on towards the Red Army Steps and across the Ken Friar bridge. Ooooh slim, you’re gonna be there too :)

9. double98 says:

I was 6 and growing fast in suburban south Dublin. There was a huge interest in the FA cup as 2 genuine giants with huge irish connections were in the final.
    Arsenal – Man u.

Arsenal had 6 irish players that day – (3 from the republic and 3 from the north) in my unable to comprehend sectarian or political boundaries it was 6

Yet… Everyone i knew was up for Man U.
    But they where mostly scots….

Everyone cared except the liverpool fans. They were too cool, too aloof to support either side as the Fa Cup was nothing to the two european ones thay had just won.

I was beginning to go with the herd and just support the popular guys… when the teams lined up.

Arsenal had me at bright yellow shirts and blue shorts.
    Thats the importance of the away strip for me.

10. SharkeySuresGhost says:

I liked these comments yesterday

“As to the contract saga – what else can AFC do? If a player will not sign then absolutely nothing.”

“Sod that Raddy, pay them indeed, surely they make their money from ad revenue……oh hang on maybe i need to donate”

I am not ashamed to put this up again.

I started going in 1958 with my uncle we lost 4-5 to The busby babes but I was hooked.My dad wasn’t into football.

I would love to go to The Arsenal Emirates but that for the moment is a dream

My fandom is due to being a rebellious son in a rebellious decade. It was the ’60’s and everything my parents generation stood for I was against

My Dad was Spurs, hence……

Nice one, sgg.

I didn’t ever have a time when I fell in love with The Arsenal.
    The club has always been a part of my life since I was a baby.
    A bit like family, really, always there, whether you like it or not. :)

Here’s a suggested route from the Tavern via Highbury. The only problem is is that it’s the route that the black bin bag march will take!

Here’s one of my old videos including some shots of the Tavern, Highbury and Ashburton Grove.

14. Gooner In Exile says:

“with future club legends such as John Jensen, David Hillier and Eddie McGoldrick wearing the red and white, what wasn’t to love!?”

ROLF :D :D

I used to love that Eddie McGoldrick often warmed up in only his socks, pelting the ball around in front of the North Bank, looking back he was better without boots!

Arsenal fans today don’t know their born!

Onto the subject of when I first fell in love, well it was a difficult time for me. I was told to love them by my Dad, a parenting lesson I will obviously follow. My Grandad’s (his Dads) best efforts were to make me a Hammer, my Dad’s guidance prevailed after my Grandad passed away, opportunistic done might say, but his Mum was a Gooner so she was all for it :)

So I was about 8 or 9 when I was converted, standing in JGs with my brother wearing an away scarf (white yellow and blue) which led to a lot of the other youngsters in the JGs asking if I was a Leicester fan. :(

I couldn’t even tell you what the score was.

I guess the bug was caught then, and slowly built upon. It was 1984/85 not a lot to be excited about on the pitch, the end of Howe’s short reign at the helm, but Graham’s arrival saw the introduction of several young players who became legends probably helped.

More than anything I fell in love with Highbury and standing on the terraces.

Chary,
    Even if Sunderland had headed that goal in ’79, surely it would now be known as the Alan Sunderlanf Haired Goal
    Coat

I quite like reading the messages on the bricks in Armoury Sq
    Still have not found the Jenks One.

17. @babakrdaemi says:

You travel down from West Yorkshire? I work in and lived in Brighouse.

I am going to the Bradford game.

Email me if you want to discuss tickets.

The Tony Adams statue. North Bank end.

19. Gooner In Exile says:

SGG I’m planning to get down early if you want to see Highbury pre match with a guide.

Also all regular AAers should consider SGG’s need to have a good look round the new ground and perhaps make a effort to arrive earlier so he is not making a last minute dash to the ground with the rest of us alchies.

peaches,
    Try this. Links to chrome webstore are in the article.

21. Thanks chas

Do you think the boombox that is GiE will be able to scatter the black bin brigade?? I don’t want to be walking to the ground with
    them!!!!!!! What time is their planned onslaught?

22. Mdi89 – or maybe the afro-hair goal ?

GiE – “rest of us alchies” – who could you mean ?

Peachy – the BSM march are meeting at the Cannons pub (Blackstock Road) for 1.30 and leaving at 2pm. I’m going to try and grab a few pics of that for my match report

23. Gooner In Exile says:

Micky I’m ashamed to say I haven’t made the effort to see the statues

charybdis1966

25. Gooner In Exile says:

Peaches think they’ll go earlier to make a protest outside Diamond Suite.

26. Thank goodness for that GiE :)

27. Mdi89 – ah, you’ve cottoned on to my “2 stage posting” requirement due to a collapsed comment box.

GiE – as far as I’m aware the BSM have no plans to protest outside Diamond Suite, they plan to finish the march outside the roundabout outside the Armoury after passing past the old East Stand. they won’t be going past the Tavern, they’ll go past the Gunners Pub in sight of the East Stand/North Bank corner of Highbury.

28. Gooner In Exile says:

Just read they start at 2pm from Blackstock Road, and it’s a “Walk” not a march, my guess is by calling it a Walk they can group anyone walking with them as part of the walk whereas they could just be walking to the ground.

If they’re walking past the Taverni might go out and raise the question of whether I can hear them sing.

GIE,
    I think they would go straight up Elwood Street which is the corner the Gunners pub stands on.

I quite fancied having a look, but would hate to be mistaken for actually being on the ‘walk’.
    I imagine there’ll be a media circus surrounding it as well which’ll make it look bigger than it is.

31. Chas, there was only 1 TV camera crew at the previous march, and probably a few photographers; but you’re right, they may well be more this time round because of the growing(?) perceived discontent.

32. Gooner In Exile says:

Oh well never mind….I’ll just have to look for the buggers in the stadium

GiE,
    I’ve only seen the TA one, but then I’ve never been further South than the penalty area North Bank!

Judging by this, they went over the South bridge (Clock End) last time. Anyone know the route?

Here’s Ant, JC and Herb.

36. Gooner In Exile says:

Thing is the walk/march isn’t about the on pitch stuff (allegedly).

It’s to get away fans in the upper tier….agree but harder to police.

To get Usmanov a seat on the board…..non plussed

To get a Season Ticket Lite (without Cup Credits)…..but if its like every other club who then automatically DD the ticket from your card what’s the point

A pay back scheme for STs….whilst I agree in principal the club would fear a fan giving up part way through season and then the club would be forced to pursue the debt (bad publicity)

Is any of the above worth marching about?

37. slimgingergooner says:

Babakrdaemi,

Thanks for the great offer but I’m working until 10pm so can’t make the game unfortunately!

Loving hearing your stories guys, and thanks for the invites! We arrive outside the stadium at about 12.30pm I think. I’m not sure where we are sitting, asking as its not the away section then I will be happy! :)

I’m not sure what the plan is before the match to be honest. Usually it would be straight to the nearest bar, but I’ve stopped drinking so that might be off the schedule!

Cannot wait to get there and even the wife is getting a little excited, so it must be good!!! ;)

Chas
    When you say yo “quite fancied having a look”, would you be looking, while armed with very ripe fruit?

39. slimgingergooner says:

*aslong (not asking!)

40. Gooner In Exile says:

SGG there are others amongst us who don’t take in the alcohol (well Sharkey, Evonne?, and Chary if he was a bad boy on his previous visit).

How many of you are coming?

7 hour round trip!

I am ashamed to say that I winced when I looked outside the window and thought that I might get cold on my 20 minute journey by bike to the ground.

Hope you have a great day slim, thanks for the post.

The Bin Liners will inevitably be joined by morons and terrorists, so in my view, if there is such a thing as an innocent Bin Linerer, I say tough luck if you get caught in the crossfire.

43. Gooner In Exile says:

Chary “Growing up in a ruff part of Essex”

Is their a nice part ;)

7 hour round trip?
    Pah :-)
    Seriously Slim, I hope you have really amazing day.

45. chas – i think the last march started in Holloway Road somewhere and maybe they had to walk up Drayton park from the other end so that’s why they came over the south bridge ?????

GIE,
    We all know what the “walk” is about, don’t we?
    We all want our Arsenal back.
    Isn’t it obvious.

Micky,
    How dare you cast nasturtiums on my good character!

47. Gooner In Exile says:

Oh sorry the final BSM issue is mismanagement of players salaries, to which I reply you don’t know what they’re paid so how do you know it’s mismanaged?

peaches,
    This suggests it started from the Cannons on Blackstock

49. @ Chas

Good video… what’s the music track?

50. Chas – I said it was starting from the Cannons in my 10.56

GiE – I could have said “the ruffEST part” of Essex, namely Thurrock. In comparison Billericay or Colchester are not so bad.

51. GiE – I think the pay-back scheme is to tie in with the season ticket lite in other words if you build up points for attending premiership games they can count towards buying tickets for cup games.

52. Gooner In Exile says:

We do indeed Chas, I want the good times when I couldn’t give a flying f*** who owned the club, what players earned, had no clue what went on in the Marble Halls, loved that the BoD chose a Green and Blue kit as a second strip, all the players went on the piss once a week, we had the Perfect Match sponsorship, the club shop was only accessible one at a time ……. anything else?

Looks like Aubert Park to me.

54. Ooops I know nothing :oops:

55. Have to go and photograph my cranked beams, back in a bit ;)

So Elwood Street, Avenell Road, Aubert Park, then left over the South bridge.

57. Gooner In Exile says:

I read it differently Peaches, “staged repayment for ST renewals”. Interest free no doubt?

I know you did, chary.
    I meant after that.

Big Al,
    Is this what you’re asking about?

59. Chas, I know I was just being annoying and smug :) (I know, no change there)

Criticism of the season ticket lite scheme was that if they would still want priority for buying tickets for CL games. i.e. the best of both worlds.

As far as I’m aware, away system points are only earnt for attending away games and can only be used for buying away tickets.

I’ve never found you either, chary.
    Maybe a little bit in need of a sit down on your bench occasionally, but that’s understandable. :)

62. Ha ha, that’s true Chas

63. Gooner In Exile says:

“I’ve never found you either, chary”

Can’t believe that we normally step over him on the way out the Tavern :)

64. Brigham says:

@babakrdaemi says:
    November 30, 2012 at 10:48 am
    You travel down from West Yorkshire? I work in and lived in Brighouse.

You leave my house of this please! :-)

Enjoy your first trip to our new home SSG, its a great experience for first time and in fact anytime really. I intend to be at The Tavern tomorrow, arriving around 13.30. See some of you there hopefully.

65. @ Chas
    Cheers buddy!

I remember the ‘original’ in 1971… “He’s Gonna Step On You Again” by John Kongos. That was good too (no 4 in the singles chart).
    I just had a quick check in Wiki for details.

@ SlimGingerGooner especially… others too – Enjoy !!!!!
    (I’m envious).

66. Gooner In Exile says:

Big Al if you can get to London, Peaches can get you tickets :)

67. Brigham says:

On the subject of the route of the march (nearly said routemarch then), most of the BSM drink in The Rocket on Holloway Rd, which is a student bar all week and given over to Arsenal on weekend matchdays. I used to drink in there pre match, but it got far too crowded and full of some, shall we say, bellends! I think that is why they came over the south bridge and onto ‘The Bear’ roundabout previously.

I tend to partake my pre-match beverage in either The Tavern or Herbert Chapman these days.

68. chas/GiE – there is already a scheme to pay for season tickets in stages, I’m sure it was in all my stuff when I got offered a ticket for this season. I’ll have a look and see what I can find.

69. Gooner In Exile says:

Well that’s one off their list then Peaches.

Should be said the away points don’t bring any discount they just qualify you to buy tickets.

Now if they had something about red members no longer promoted to Silver I’d agree with them.

70. slimgingergooner says:

Where is The Tavern guys and how far is it from the ground?

71. slimgingergooner says:

Apparently we are going to be sat Clock End Lower Tier, behind the goal if I’m right?

Sorry for hogging the blog a bit today people. I’m going to get coked off my tits tonight with the work gang in anticipation of tomorrow. Have a wonderful day guys.

PS I actually mean Coca Cola, not South America’s finest export! :)

sgg,
    see my 10:35 for the Tavern location wrt the ground.

If that’s too small search for Blackstock Road London in Bing maps and it’ll point to the Kings head which is just up the road from the Tavern.

73. slimgingergooner says:

That’s perfect Chas thanks.

Will try get over for a drink before the game.

74. Gooner In Exile says:

Shame SGG, Bolivian Marching Powder would be a good antidote to the BSM :)

75. slim – The Arsenal Tavern is in Blackstock road at the junction of Gillespie Road see map

It’s about a 20 minute walk to the ground. Nearest tube in Finsbury park.

76. jnyc says:

SLIM, i wish i could be joining you, i hope u have a great day and get to see a win.

77. tomstoned says:

slim great post and enjoy your time watching the best team in the world Our Beloved Arsenal mate:)and it sounds like your in good hands :)
    my road to being a Gooner is a tricky one ;my Father a Gooner himself..he was stationed in Catterick, ORB330 Squadron RAF during the war,and was a Gooner ever since,,he was invited back in -50 to watch the FA cup final,after that he went bananas (his own words;)…and looking trough his papers after he died i found ot that he had been quite good friends with George Swindin…..me i caved in for the pressure in -71..two things happened,,,my Dad took me to watch the FA cup final(i guess he thought that would be a perfect game)against l’pool again(the old man was all about traditions)and English football invaded Norwegian television :)……my Dad a strict Military man even allowed me to grow long hair..complements of Charlie George ;)and i must admit that even after the matches was shown on tele,my Dad stood by his small radio and bbc :)
    but i have to say i will forever be grateful to my Dad for bringing Arsenal into my life :)

Hi SGG, apologies for my late arrival (I’m always incognito on Fridays). That’s a lovely build up to the weekend thanks, hope I get the chance to share a Peroni with you in The Tavern tomorrow.

Can have a list of all tomorrow’s tavereners for my widget please :P

79. TomS, that’s a great story as befits the most northerly Gooner on AA, it makes my “How I came to Arsenal” story sound quite lame in comparison.

Raspers – it’ll be me + friend, and Chary minor + friend, so 4 in total.

80. tomstoned says:

Thank You Chary mate..
    but be honest the most important thing is..we’re all Gooners right ?:)
    have a great Weekend Chary !…im off to Svalbard early tomorrow but ill be back before Christmas..and by then Chary i demand that we’re top of the league and have sorted out Walcott,..and have more or less finished the transfers og Goetze and Huntelaar…;)

81. Cheers TomS – Svalbard may be frozen but it looks like it’s from another world when I’ve seen it on TV.

The AA crew will do our utmost to urge the team on to get 3 points tommorrow to start their climb up the table.

All the best.

Listening to the oohs and aahs coming out of Highbury is one of my most enduring childhood memories. I’d wander up and down Avenell Road just yearning to be inside and actually see the Arsenal, my mum said I was too little and it was far dangerous.

It wasn’t until Nov 22, 1947 that I got inside, my grandad took me as a 10th birthday present , my mum would not have of dreamed of saying no to her dad – a 6’5″ coal-man.

I was hooked years before but getting to be inside Highbury and seeing the players in the flesh was almost surreal – here I am 65 years later and the hook is still deeply embedded.

83. Great post Slime. I hope you havbe a great day tomorrow. Get to the Tavern. The AA bunch are all lovely.

Sometimes Rasp puts up a Meeting Up Didgit and sometimes he doesn’t, and I’m begiining to notice a pattern

85. Raspers, I was chatting to Irish/Maire last night on FB and she will be at the Tavern tomorrow also.

I’m going to organize my own march.

All: “We want better nibbles!”
    All: “We want better nibbles!”
    All: “We want better nibbles!”
    Leader: “And when do want ‘em”
    All: “Now”
    Leader: “Really?”
    All: “Well, whenever is convenient, as we do understand everyone is terribly busy at this time of year”

87. I’m going to a metal gig organised by a local biker group tonight with Chary major – just thought I’d mention that. :)

88. 1967ers says:

I’ve been a nominal fan for 25 years and was prompted by the NHL lockout to pay real attention for the first time ever. I have to say that this site as much as anything has driven a real interest in the team and its actual workings. It’s among my first stops in the morning and my last in the evening and I’ve learned a ton, though not enough to add much of a voice here.

That said, by my standards (Leafs have been out of the playoffs since 2004 and no championship since 1967; Blue Jays haven’t played a meaningful game since 1993 though next year is promising; Raptors really need to pick up another sport; Toronto FC might be the worst organization ever put together in any form of competition) Arsenal is performing rather well.

Never been to a football pitch that actually had stands, though I did take a peek at the old yard when I was in London in 1996.

Chas,
    Which country because we’re off :-)

Chary
    Damn, you’re going to smell terrible tomorrow

91. Ha ha Mdi89 – but don’t worry, as McLean would say to Glazer when the latter shouted out his name at the beginning of Crackerjack “I had a bath this morning” :)

Nothing like the smell of sweat and patchouli oil ….

Xmas Party tonight. If the pre-match is a bit silly I blame the cold night air.

Great stuff Slime
    I’ve repeated my story about growing up near Woolwich and liking the name “Arsenal” a few times already so I won’t bore everyone by repeating it.

Suffice to say we were all, in our different ways, blessed and cursed with our Arsenal addiction :)

94. Ha Ha Big Randy, I just hope the Buckinghamshire chapter of the Hell’s Angels know how to put on a good gig.

1967ers

When you say you took a peek at the old yard are you referring to Highbury? If so that is a very romantic way of putting it.

Excellent from Tim Stillman

97. I caught Arsenal off my first wife

GM :)

99. Right, off for some headbanging metal at the gig now. See some of you top gooners at the Tavern tomorrow. UTA !

100. VCC says:

Chary 11:35. Whereabouts in Thurrock? I live in Grays,

101. VCC says:

Have a great day Slimgingergooner. You will be well looked after in the Tavern.

102. Paddywhack says:

I went to London frrom Northern Ireland in 1966 and nearly supported Tottenham. I worked in a large office and one of the lads invited me to go to a football match at WHL. I had something on that weekend so didn’t go (phew). Some months later I went to Highbury and was hooked and have “enjoyed” the highs and lows ever since. Managed to indoctrinate my two sons, my daughter, most of my nephews (but one escaped and is now a Spuds fan). Anyway nothing for it but to keep the faith.

103. VCC says:

Nice one Paddywhack. Love the name

104. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

TomS… I concur with GiE…top top post at 2.33. What a brilliant tale.

Your dad WAS Norwegian right..not an Englishman who migrated..??

105. goonerjake says:

I want my Arsenal back? What does that actually mean? Do they mean The Invincibles? That team has gone, some have retired! Do they mean at highbury? Its been converted into flats! Do they mean the Arsenal of the early eightys when I started to support them? The were terrible!

Please enlighten me. I am ashamed i did not think gooners would make a spectacle of the club they claim to love.

106. HaHaHerbert says:

The Gunners first caught my attention in August 2001 when I started working in Mexico City. We were able to finally afford Sky and we began to get Saturday English football games as part of their package. I always like the name the Arsenal and once I saw them play that blessed Saturday I was hooked. I had followed Mexican First division soccer and felt it was rather turgid and egocentric (like their players) but watching the one touch, fluid Football that team played hooked me for good. Mt wife also began to watch, even though she knew absolutely 0 about Football….but she is now as big a supporter as I am.

Ginge i hope you and your wife have a great day. As they say wellcome home.

My dad took me to my first game in 71. I was six years old and cried throug out. When we dont win this is a tradition i have maintained but i wait to get indoors first. hahahaha

Great story HahaHerb
    Are you still in Mexico now?
    Are you Mexican or an ex pat?

I know we don’t really do politics on here, but what on earth is Diaby doing joining a protest to stop the Euro Under 21s being held in Israel?

Apparently Diaby, along with Eden Hazard and 60 other professionals believes the tournament will be “‘seen as a reward for actions that are contrary to sporting values.”

Quite apart from the fact that, however difficult it is, politics should always be kept out of sport, you have to wonder if players like Diaby have any idea of the can of worms they’re opening.

I share the intense human feeling of sadness at deaths in Gaza, but it may not have dawned on Diaby and Co that Israel was retaliating to first being attacked itself.

If they want to object, on principle, to countries who cause civilian casualties in wars they consider to be in their national interest, then presumably they will protest against any tournaments held in the UK, France, Germany, Italy, USA and many more countries (all of whom have had troops fighting in Afghanistan).

Perhaps they will also protest against the African Cup of Nations being held in South Africa next year. South Africa is a country where half a million women are raped every year and one in three women said they had been raped in the past year.

Or perhaps they will protest against the WC being held in Qatar, a country that recently jailed for life a poet who criticised its polices and which considers homosexual acts illegal and retains the death penalty for anyone who leaves Islam for another faith.

Or perhaps they won’t, because they are not such fashionable causes.

The truth is, if you want to look deeply enough you can probably find a reason to object on moral grounds to ANY country hosting an international sporting event.

Whoops. That was a bit serious. Here’s a joke:

Why we broke up:

She told me we couldn’t afford beer at $25.00 a case anymore. Too bad, but I would have to quit drinking.

Then the next day I caught her spending $65.00 on a tiny bottle of make-up.

I asked her how come I had to give up stuff and she didn’t.

She said she needed the make-up to look pretty for me. I told her that wasn’t necessary, that’s what the beer was for and my beer was 40 bucks cheaper.

I don’t think she’s coming back…

And one for Evonne:

A Polish immigrant went for an eyesight test. The optician showed him a card with the letters:

‘C Z W I X N O S T A C Z.’

“Can you read this?” the optician asked.

“Read it?” the Polish guy replied, “I know the guy.”

112. richie59er says:

Bloody hell it’s sobering and not a little humbling to hear of supporters making a 7 hour trip. That’s why I feel so privileged, born and raised in Highbury, at a reasonable pace I can leave my house and make it to the Em’s inside 7 minutes, of course Highbury Stadium was even closer. My answer to how I became a Gooner is like Chas’s I don’t really know, it was always there just over the road. My great grandfather went, my grandfather went, everyone in my family were Gooners before I was born. Being an N.5 boy Arsenal was the biggest thing around and it was right there on the door step. Ending up being a Gooner was natural. Kids in the 60’s played out in the streets so I’d explored every inch of the stadium by the time I was 6. There wasn’t the worry for parents like there is now about paedophiles, there were strange types, like the ones used to hang around toilets that your parents told you to stay away from, we used to lump them all together and call them “bummers” we weren’t sophisticated.

By the way all, I’m guilty of starting the Alan Sunderland 79 header rumour.
    I was talking about my disappointment when Frank Stapleton took the Van Judas route out of Highbury and remembered his header against the Manc’s which should’ve clinched things, I hadn’t forgot AS bundled in goal with his right at the back post, I’d just wrote up FS’s goal as AS or Vicky Verky.

113. richie59er says:

@Slim Have a really great day out with your wife!

114. 1967ers says:

LB – HIghbury, yes, sorry. Didn’t mean to come off as flip or anything, that’s just sort of how we refer to things. I had some time to myself that day, so as part of my wanderings about town I made a little pilgrimage to the Arsenal station and environs just to see what I could see. Nobody playing at the time, unfortunately.

GM – :)

Rocky,
    Not a political site as you say, but if Diaby does demonstrate on behalf of Hamas Terrorists, then he really can fuck off.

Morning all.
    Love Match Days.

Morning all.

Well it definitely looks like liveonfooty has been blown away,the site has vanished.

The news is that TH14 maybe back again for a loan period judging by Wenger’s latest comments.
    Not sure if it would have the same impact anymore on the field.
    I still think that we are scouting La liga for spanish strikers as nearly every club bar the top two are in a real financial mess.

Any team news for today and any streams available
    Sky have got crap matches on over this weekend.

Hi Micky,
    but where to watch ?

Just had a look around next few weeks’ fixtures, and the stars are aligning for us. Spuds away at Fulham, then Everton, while we have two homers.
    Today, we start to make hay :-)

Kelsey,
    Just the Man I was after.
    Today there is a 12:45 W Ham KO. I have to take my Son into school for a Piano lesson between 1:30 and 2:30, where I will stay and try and sort out this Wizipig/Sopcast (are they related, do we need both?).
    I am hoping to find a geekey student to help me, and will keep you posted.

121. Gooner In Exile says:

Ok don’t want to labour the point on Diaby, but there are a few things worth considering.

1) the protest might be about treatment of Palestine full stop, not just the recent skirmishes.

2) assuming he is a practising Muslim there could be pressure from within his community to make a stand, pressure that might come with threats if he doesn’t do as asked. I have seen this in other ways (credit card scamming by staff at some of my clients).

But I agree both politics and religion should be kept from football as should race and gender. But I’m not going to come down hard on a young man because he has decided to take a stand.

Micky,

Wiziwig is just a site which lists the various streams showing particular matches. No software required.

You do have to download the sopcast software though. Conveniently the Wiziwig site has a page containing the software links.

Just click on the sopcast icon. The next page gives a list of places to download from. Just click on the top one and follow the instructions.

Micky,

i am not very good with down loads completely illiterate computer wise.

Kos is out today, is that right and is podolski back

Morning GiE,
    Poppers and Blockers aside, which site do you recommend we watch on?
    If Wizipig, which software do we need to download.
    Is Sopcast the same thing?
    (ps I have every sympathy with innocent victims in every conflict. Palestinians included. War is horrific, and to be avoided at all costs).

125. Gooner In Exile says:

Micky firstly you need this:

I have downloaded Mac version, it appears there is an Android version (for your Galaxy Note) and a Windows version.

Get that downloaded and installed.

Then go here:

You’ll see Arsenal v Swans on the list. Click on Live and it will take you to a page of streams.

Those streams will be in two flavours SOPcast and Flash. The main difference is that SOPcast streams at about 1500kbps, flash anywhere between 200-500kbps.

When you click on a Sopcast stream it’ll open in the application you downloaded and strt playing (normally no ads etc).

When you click on a flash stream it’ll open in a new window and normally be littered with ads and chatboxes which you either have I manually close or move off the video screen. Adblock will block ads but a popup will still cover your video with a countdown of when you can hit the x to close.

Brilliant, thank you very much Chas.
    If you ever want any advice on chopping wood, or on making paper planes, just shout.

GiE,
    Thank you too.
    With my terrible bandwidth, I’ll be a Flasher then :-)
    Now, what can I offer you as thanks? Mmmmm…
    Damn, I think I’ve just offered Chas the only two things I know how to do!

Micky,
    Follow the booming goalie’s instructions.
    Much much better than mine (he’s even included which tablet you’ve got, and I’m not talking horse pills here).
    Haha, that last sentence reminded me of Groucho Marx.

Could you pop over this morning GIE to help me set this up. A taxi will be at the airport

Oh, here we go…
    I click on download Sopcast. It says click RUN.
    Shouldn’t I opt for the save or save as, so its here for next time?

You only need to run it once.

Damn you two are good to us
    Back in a minute

Think I’m all set. I’ll try it out at school later. Thank both very much.

Micky,
    The Flash streams do not require you to download any software. Try them if there are no sopcast links.
    They aren’t so reliable but you can usually find one that works well.

Morning All

I downloaded Sopcast yesterday – proof that even a dimwit can do it.

kelsey. I googled the Bitscore problem and people were saying there will be an update and we will get emails of a new site. Whether this is true I cannot say but it does give hope for the restoration of an excellent site. In the meantime Wizigig etc will have to suffice but let’s face it we are tapping into something illegal – Bitscore have no permission to broadcast.

Morning BR, i suppose you are right

GIE, I followed your instructions and now all i get are various options of american sports and espn

137. evonne says:

Rocky – what makes you think that I am still reading the blog :)

I am giving the team the last chance today

kelsey. Go to the wizigig website.

Press Live Sports which gives a menu of all the sport available right now,

Then look at the top bar & you will see a football, press on that …

when the game approaches our game will show, press the button saying Live

This takes you to a menu showing the different streams available for our game

Choose one.

Not all work well and you may have to try a few to get one which works well for you.

We can deal with the other problems at game time …….

We need more hard clear facts to make accurate decisions on Diaby.

Raddy,
    Fairly confident Sky and their Mates will survive despite one or two souls tagging on, and anyway, Arsenal comes first :-)

Hope you all (especially Slim) have a great day at the pub and the game.

Time to go out and climb the hills of Highgate and Hampstead for me.

I see the day in the not too distant future where each of the top clubs initially will do what liveonfooty does,but for each individual club as a pay as you go option worldwide.
    How that effects the Sky and ESPN contracts I don’t know,but they don’t have world rights.
    Even at say £2.00 a game or the equivalent currency that would bring in a huge revenue and I would think that kroenke would be all for it.
    I wonder how many people in the world watch via streams who can’t afford the subscrition for a year with companies like Fox,Canal plus etc.
    I would reckon it amounts to quite a big number.

Morning all, a very crisp matchday up here on the Hertfordshire hills, everything is white outside.

Raddy are you finished in your post, I’m waiting to add the pitch etc?

Kelsey,
    Wasn’t there talk of Barca and Madrid doing just that?
    The trouble is that right now, even if I signed up to Sky, they don’t show all the games.
    What’s a Gunner to do? Even a man like Raddy with a finely tuned moral compass is clicking away :-)
    One rule for them, and one rule for me, I say :-)

Right, off outside. Back later to read the Raddy.
    We demand facial hair!

Micky, have you tried this one?

147. slimgingergooner says:

Kelsey,

I think Sky paid around £3-5 BILLION for the PL rights for the next few seasons, it would be a massive risk for clubs to leave that behind to try and generate TV monies themselves.

For whatever people say about Sky, the sport side of it is an unbelievable product. Just look at how poor ESPN etc are in comparison.

Just got on the coach and people already moaning about Ramsey! :lol: Bloody Yorkshiremen!

Apparently Sagna a major doubt and Pod and Theo need fitness tests. On the plus side they are missing Hernandez who has been playing really well.

Rasp. Sono finito

I can’t see individual clubs selling their games on the net. What benefit is that to Wigan etc?

There is no way of knowing but taking PirateBay as an example there must be millions who do not pay for their entertainment. Almost everyone I know downloads movies from peer to peer sites.

Anyway I watched The Beach Boys live at Knebworth in 1980 and their current tour on t.v. last night.
    I saw them once at Fairfield Hall and live they were just unbelievable.Sad that Dennis Wilson died so young and Carl in 1998,but they brought back the good times for me.

I think barca d do it,or did do it,but they weren’t getting paid.madrid don’t as far as i know.

I meant the top clubs that have world wide following. Wigan :)

Slim

i f you come over here and half a million brits live here they all have Sky and every pub as well. it is illegal but Sky turn a blind eye to it.

Re: Diaby.

I am split on this. The world of footballers is notorious for the stupidity of it’s inhabitants and Diaby is known to be one of the most stupid men in French football.

But ….. One of my bugbears of modern society is the lack of concern for fellow man; we live in selfish times. That Diaby chooses to make a protest and think about the lives of people under oppression is laudable even if I completely disagree with him.

Morning Raddy, the program is telling me you’re still in there?

kelsey. I saw B.Boys on that tour at Empire Pool Wembley. As you say – fantastic.

Hi guys and gees (if you’re there) I’ve been trying to download sopcast following the instructions earlier from GiE and its asking me my bandwidth ???? how do I find the answer to this??? A technodunce would be very grateful for help :(

i got a different problem Rasp, see my comment above. At least I can now watch,baseball and basketball

kelsey. Read my comment. 8.36

Rasp.
    I haven’t seen the bandwidth question before. Download the software from Wiziwig (software tab).

Done it Raddy thanks.i presume it will be on page 2 or 3 as it is in timed sequence.

160. Right it is snowing in Norfolkshire, whats it doing in N5, hope my trains aren’t buggered, Mrs Exile is under house arrest in these conditions so i need to get a bus to the station, which means i’ll hopefully not be too late at the Tavern, see you all later

161. Kelsey there should be a link for Premier League games and then on there one for Arsenal v Swansea, when you click on live the Streams will show (not until around 2pm though).

162. oz gunner says:

If anyone is still having sopcast problems during the game let me know and I can try and find a suitable direct link to the game. Does take me long too search. Alternatively I will just post a couple of links when the game commences.

163. oz gunner says:

Also when on wiziwig make sure you choose the link that has (EN) after it as it means the stream is in English! Although, it is funny watching it in Latin when a goal is scored

…..Pre-match report awaits ……

….. New post ……

165. David says:

I really feel sorry for you after such a poor performance and result.

166. Mickeyk says:

You should have surporters Leeds mate.

167. Dave says:

West Yorkshire? Seriously? I’m pretty sure your local club isn’t Arsenal. It’s people like you not having pride in where you’re from which is sending football as a competition in this country down the pan.

Support your local team!

168. weedonald says:

Ozgunner…¨ it is funny watching it in Latin when a goal is scored¨…is this game broadcast from the Vatican as that is the only place in the world where Latin is still spoken? I know you meant Spanish! LOL
    Dave…..please explain how not supporting your local team is ruining Football in the UK?