Virgin Sacrifice: I presume

There are games one anticipates with hope rather than confidence. You know the ones, the top 3 away and of late the trip to the Cave Dwellers. I have never enjoyed our games at the Old Toilet, we rarely do well and when we do it comes as a surprise – yes, we have had some wonderful wins and some sterling performances but on the whole we struggle. We have won once at OT in 10 years (PL) and just 3 times in 20 years.

Then there was last season’s freak humiliation. And before you Kent United fans get uppity, the 8 goals came from 14 shots on target. we had 9, you had 3 corners, AFC 5. A freak result which owed much to good fortune and a dreadful defensive performance from a patched up Arsenal – Traore and Jenks were our FB’s (CJ’s first PL game).

All football fans know that SAF signed a pact with the devil – the percentage of dodgy refereeing decisions and decades of outrageous good fortune are testament to his trip down to the Crossroads but last season the Oil money bought his luck. The Chavs shameful CL victory and MC’s last-second PL win must have shaken The Gorbals  Guzzler down to the tip of his steel toed boots. Having already sold his soul Ferguson is surely looking at other avenues to ensure his team’s dominance over the fickle fates….. see below

Sir Alex prepares for the game

Let’s get the unpleasant stuff out of the way early. Brave Sir Robin. An inspired purchase by SAF, a purchase which could win them the title. For us, a shambles of Titanic proportions. To BSR we are the lover scorned and he will pay the price whatever Mr Wenger says.

What can we expect of today? None of the MU players who conceded 5 (as we did!) midweek will start, as such, Scholes, Cleverly and Carrick will be doing their best to cripple Santi and Jack.  Their defence is said to be shaky but whose wouldn’t given their injuries at CB ? We can but hope that SAF has a meltdown and includes Wooton.

It goes without saying that MU sport some of the most odious men playing today. Evra, Rooney, Nani, Rafael, Ferdinand , Anderson, Fletcher, Young – all  beetle headed baculum (look it up!). I hesitate to put Ashley Young amongst these miscreants but despite being a Gooner, if the cap fits…..

I expect Mr Wenger to take a conservative view; he will not want his team humiliated again – if last season was tough for us, imagine how it was for him.

My Team:

I fully expect to see both Arshavin and Walcott at some point, especially Theo after his fine performance at Reading. But today we will need solidity, should we reach the hour point on level terms I hope AW will bolster the attack.

Much focus will be upon the performance of Jack Wilshire. So much riding upon his stocky frame and the strength of his ankles. If he returns to the form of two seasons ago this Arsenal team will be very, very strong. It is one thing to close down Cazorla with 2 players but having another creative genius allows Arsenal to continue to threaten. We must pray that the referee (Mike Dean – the world is watching) will protect him because you know SAF will be telling his miscreants to kick two colours out of young Jack

It is a great shame Diaby is not fit as this would be his type of game, we will miss Gibbs as well because it is inevitable SAF will target Santos.

This is a game which George Graham would have relished; put the Famous 5 in place of the current back 5 and we would stand a much better chance. Actually, scratch that ….. put Seaman into this team and it would be transformed. The stats show we have conceded just 6 PL goals which is astonishing given our goalkeeping frailty; it is a testament to a team ethic. But and this is a huge BUT, no team wins things without a top goalkeeper and we are lacking. Let us pray to Dennis that AW has a proper GK in his sights this January – watching Julio Cesar perform heroics for QPR last week made me wonder why he wasn’t in our goal.

Today’s Top Man:  I promised you David Livingstone (1813 – 1873) and here he is in all his pomp and glory:

No Beard – Not Knighted

A Scottish Protestant Missionary, he was the first white man to cross Africa. He also tried to find the source of the Zambezi, a 6 year expedition during which he “discovered”/named Victoria Falls and Lake Malawi. He then traveled into the East African jungle where he got “lost” for 4 years. Such was Livingstone’s fame that the New York Herald sent out Henry Stanley to find him. They met on the shores of Lake Tanganyika with Stanley humorously greeting him with the famous words “Dr. Livingstone, I presume.”  Livingstone died in Africa (malaria), his heart was buried in Zambia, and his body brought back to England where it was buried in Westminster Cathedral

BR doesn’t make predictions but he would be thrilled with a point and promises to buy Mrs Raddy something expensive should when we win.

Written by Big Raddy

358 Responses to Virgin Sacrifice: I presume

The BR pre-match is simply one of those appointments you do not miss.
    Never fails to disappoint.

2. VCC says:

Fantastic write up BR. That sure got the heckles (? English is not my best subject)on the back to stand up.

You some things up well. I can’t argue with your line up considering a few players are injured. Santos will worry the Life out of me today against ManUre, because it will be an area that Ferguson will surely target. It’s our weak link today.

Walcott to come on after sixty minutes to inject the pace and push their defence back.

COYG

General comment.
    I dont like all this blaming the ref before a ball is kicked. Its defeatest mentality and akin to lining up excuses early. George Graham would have nailed that kind of thinking. Blame culture.

4. VCC says:

We are not the only club to be done by fortuitous refereeing decisions whilst playing against that scum. Boy how I hate that team.

5. VCC says:

Micky…..your eyes cannot deny the favouritism that Manchester United receive, and I go back many years. They are clearly the media/fa favourite team.

6. oz gunner says:

great as always BR, the perfect read before a match!

I agree Diaby is a loss. I’d like to see him play instead of Ramsey with Giroud and Pod up top

I agree with both of you. It is a fact and it is defeatist.

Have you looked up “baculum” :-)

Morning all, spiffing pre match Raddy.

OK, I’ll be the first to mention it ….. you show the line up as 4:4:2 …. hell and freezing over come to mind :?

Maybe it was just a convenient way of portraying the players I think he’ll put out the same team but as 4:5:1 with Giroud being the hardworking punchbag.

A draw today and we’ll be on the same points as this time last season when we apparently had a disastrous start! If we lose it will be a greater disaster and if we win we will be title contenders. It’s just one game that assumes huge significance in the minds of supporters.

My prediction 0 – 0 draw

Penis bone – very apt :lol:

Rasp. As you say – a 4-5-1.

And as you say, this game is just 3 points, but then so is Spurs.

11. Carlito11 says:

Morning all- top pre-match BR. Not sure we’ll be 442 but think you’ve got the personnel right. The rudolph the scottish manager will certainly try and attack down our left- I worry what Valencia might do to Santos- our Left back is likely to need an oxygen suppository half-way through the first half!

Hi Carlito. Good to see your gravatar…

Hi Carlito, great to have you back on the blog. I saw you in the distance at the Ems about 3 times at the QPR game but could’t catch up with you. How’s life treating you?

14. Carlito11 says:

Been too long BR- nice to have time to read the blog and comments for a change. Feel a bit guilty for not getting on here to chat to you lot anymore :oops:

15. Carlito11 says:

Hello Rasp- pretty good- work related but all very satisfying. Said to a work acquaintance the other day that I don’t think I’ve ever been able to say that “work is the upside to my football life” before! Been a funny old season so far ain’t it?

16. Carlito11 says:

You know me though- trying to focus on the positives! Giroud coming on changed that tie on Tuesday night so that’s a ray of hope. Too easy to point the finger at where it had gone wrong up to that point though. Shame Theo had to play 120mins as we could do with him starting alongside Giroud today

17. @ Big Raddy

The heading above the ‘team Selection’ says “MY TEAM”.
    Does that mean YOUR preferred lineup, Big Raddy, or the team you think WENGER will select.

I think Wenger will choose the team you’ve shown.

My own lineup would be pretty much the the same except bring in Koscielny to partner Mertesacker, and play Vermaelen at left back. (Santos on the bench).

I would like to see Theo on the right wing (Ramsey on the bench).

What was interesting regarding yesterday’s comments was that there was so much talk about Theo possibly starting (or not), and the great divide about Santos (and his fat arse), that nobody mentioned Mannone (as regards being not good enough), or Mertesacker (lack of pace).

I, myself, so wrapped up in my first mini-rant on this site re Santos, quite forgot these other two concerns of mine.

18. @ Big Raddy, 10.21

Sorry, forgot…
    “…as you say, this game is just 3 points”

No it’s not, it’s a six-pointer today.

19. Carlito11 says:

@Big Al- Mertesacker’s lack of pace doesn’t worry me as it’s his reading of the game that counts more than any amount of pace. If he had pace and could turn he’d be a midfielder!
    Our 1920s heavyweight champion in goal is a moot point but we’ve got no choice (unlike Santos who you rightly suggest swapping for Verm in this match) so we’ve got to back him no matter what!

20. Red Arse says:

Hi Carlito, :-)

I thought you were a mirage at first! Good to see you. :-)

21. Red Arse says:

Hi Big Al, :-)

As it’s coming up to 6 p.m. in Thailand, are you priming yourself with a cool chick and a hot beer ready for the game?

Erm, as I am a novice at pre-match revelry I might have got one or two details wrong there! :-)

22. evonne says:

and what has Mrs Raddy promise if we lose? you might be batting for the wrong team BR :) Great, great prematch, vintage Raddy, thank you

Can’t say I am looking forward to the game, but who knows, i found a lucky coin this morning, it might end up another classic

Big Al – 6 points :) it feels like it

23. kgooner says:

Great pre-match. And ha ha to SAfs cult voo doo doo doo pre-match antics. Devils Advocate.
    Presumably anxious like most Gooners. Santos on left does little to comfort. No way this game will end 0-0. A key to us winning this game will be retaliating after conceding. I have watched Manure games and as foul as the manure tastes when i say it, ‘they’ can score. We need to do the same. Keep up and not fall behind that way the game remains open. COYG! Till after the match.

Anyone care to volunteer for the match report before we know the outcome?

Good write up BR. I think AW will likely chose that team but in the 4-5-1 formation Rasp indicates. Much debate on it yesterday about Ramsey or Walcott for the attacking wide right position. I don’t know BR if you feel Ramsey would be your preferred choice to add defensive solidity or if you just feel that this is what AW will go for.

None of us really know how the game will unfold but I think Santos and Podolski will have their work cut out defensively trying to contain the dangerous Utd right flank, and will not be able to get into so many attacking positions. My worry about ramsey on the right is that it will invite their LFB to push up to support the winger. That could mean we are pinned back on both flanks and rarely get a chance to offer any threat going forward down the wide areas. I think Utd are one of those teams that are more dangerous the more you invite them onto you. They can keep you pinned deep and constantly re-circle the ball back into the box where they commit numbers to get on the end of things. I feel they are a team that need to have something to worry about themselves to stop them pushing you back the whole game.

Ramsey may be better defensively than Walcott but if we get pinned back in a seige type mentality then I feel they will eventually find a way through. Our right flank is one area where I hoped to cause them problems, and for me the mere presence of Walcott should stop them from pressing up too high. Still who can know. Maybe Ramsey will have a blinder and it will all pan out completely differently to how I have indicated. Anway fingers crossed. COYG.

GoonerB,
    Ramsey on the right would be there to add defensive solidity as you say. The irony being that the right hand side has Sagna and the least potent attacking threat from Utd ie the side we should be attacking down.

Great post BR, the Livingstone bit especially worth the wait.
    I hope TV & Santos are chained to our half of the field today.
    Keep it tight for 60 minutes and then bring on Theo & Arshavin.
    What i want to see most today is a shot or 3 from Podolski, his chances recently have been too few and far between for my liking and if he gets that many chances today then its even more likely that one of them will end up in the net. This German is very efficient don’t you know? He is when he gets the chances anyway.
    i also want to see us shoot on sight, we did this against Reading and against MUFC it is a must, we won’t be getting 20+ chances today.
    COYG

28. Gooner In Exile says:

Ok I’ve taken the dog for a long walk and couldn’t put off the pre match coffee and ciggy any more, and then a read of a BR pre match beauty. Got me psyched for this one now!

As for Dean I did have a look at Untold Arsenal (actually they’ve set up a ref watch site now), interesting that PGMOL have closed down their website to the public since Untolds sister site has been getting press coverage apparently.

Anyway they say that when David Dein had a seat on the FA we got a significant rub of the green, when Dein left his FA seat (before he left Arsenal) we started to suffer. Coincidentally when Redknapp was being predicted to be next England manager Dean seemed to favour the Spuds.

So basically Dean will help whoever can help him the most.

Just seen the teamsheet. They’re writing it as if Ramsey’s in the centre an Cazorla on the right – that would make sense.

Congrats on 100% success in your team selection Raddy

31. How long ’til someone gives us the team news?

32. Gooner In Exile says:

33. Mannone,
    Sagna,
    Mertesacker,
    Vermaelen (c),
    Santos;
    Arteta,
    Cazorla,
    Ramsey,
    Wilshere;
    Podolski,
    Giroud.
    spot on BR
    Lets hope we win the MF with Rambo, and lets hope we are still in the game when theo is unleashed.

34. Gooner In Exile says:

35. nothing to worry about on the team sheets. I hope they play 442 but i think Rooney will drop in to make it a 451. Otherwise, with Ramsey included, we could get 4 on 2 in the midle of the pitch and dominate possesion.

was nervous this morning, but their team doesnt scare me anymore. If we defend properly as a team like we have all season, we have got a good chance.

36. @ Big Raddy – well done!
    @ Red Arse – yellow smiley face.
    @ evonne – it’s true though, innit, it’s a six-pointer
    @ Carlito11 – no probs with your comment.

Santos eh?

37. Gooner In Exile says:

Just so we know what we are up against:

De Gea; Rafael, Ferdinand, Evans, Evra; Valencia, Carrick, Cleverley, Young; Rooney, van Persie.

We need crosses today to upset the flicked wonder in the sticks

38. richie says:

@MDI89 9:53 You obviously don’t know George! GG wouldn’t have nailed that kind of thinking. Knowing he didn’t mind taking a bung himself and knowing SAF liberally handed them out, with GG it could’ve gone a few different ways.

1)SAF gives him a drink and the team sheet is unfathomable.

2) George knowing SAF would’ve already sorted out the Ref offers the Ref more and it would only have ever been an offer, George really can peel an orange in his pocket.

3) He really wants to win so he lets the lines man overhear him while he’s (supposedly) talking to the FA denighing trying to bribe the Ref and he will welcome their post match investigation. Which gets back to the (bought) Ref, who decides he better play it straight thus nullifiying him.

At that point George plays 10 defenders and surprisingly its still nil nil in the 115th min because although the Ref has been scrupulously honest in his judgements he’s still wearing one of SAF’s watches. The local Police commisioner orders an end to the game (on health grounds) as he considers it not in the national interest to let the nation see the live death of the ref, who SAF is threatening to waterboard if he doesn’t return his money pronto.

39. richie says:

@Mikey sorry I meant blame culture @9:57

40. @ Gooner In Exile

Right… their goalie’s a nightmare!
    And well worth a mention.

41. Is Theo even on the bench?????????????????

42. Big Al – we never target a weak player it’s just not in our game plan :(

43. Bloody dutchman kissing everyone yuuuuk

44. barumgooner says:

Looking forward to it but must admit to being very worried. I think with Santos playing we will have to score 4 to win. 4-3 to the good guys !

Sorry, went back to bed. BR got it right.

I shall stick to my golden rule for this match.

Never post at half time :)

How many cards, how many penalties. hopefully none and all i want is a good display from the lads. my prediction is the score will be 2-1 or 1-2

46. Oh Dennis please help us, make sure we remember how to defend

47. oz gunner says:

damn you bsr, damn you to hell!

I see you aren’t nervous, peaches :)

49. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Come On You Rip Roaring GUNNERS!!!!!

Lets do it
    Come on you Gunnnnnners

51. oz gunner says:

has Vermaelen knocked him out yet?

52. oz gunner says:

EN ******* RAGED!!!

53. Gooner In Exile says:

Why the fuck do you shake hands and hug someone before a game who will do that to you?

And then make it worse by making an absolutely awful clearance….START PLAYING LIKE A CAPTAIN!!!! You set the tone!

54. oz gunner says:

Agreed GiE, You should be slating him every chance you get. You are the mouth piece of the club. Stuff your friendship!

55. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

AGREED!!!!

56. Adrian says:

We’re in for a long afternoon here. Ramsey giving us an edge in possesion? Not by any chance so far. They’ve been dominating possesion and closing us down quickly.

57. oz gunner says:

I’ll never understand why we don’t close down and press like this. We’ve seen it a few times and that’s it. I think if you pump chelsea 3-0 you use that model and replicate it!

58. rhyle says:

TV5…shocker…the “inevitable” is out of the way now, let’s play our way into this game – they are definitely “gettable”…they’ve conceded some strange goals this season…

Let’s keep perspective – they haven’t created a chance yet and the goal was a complete gift.

Plenty of time to go, although it will be far from easy.

60. oz gunner says:

free headers all day long for carrick. contest the ball

Good save Man One

62. oz gunner says:

haha Rooney squirting young in the face. Best thing he’s ever done. Get up you diving sook!

63. rhyle says:

This is pretty poor, with a few exceptions…too many misplaced passes…has Alex Song come back?!

64. oz gunner says:

Santos is normally so good 1 on 1. What happened to ‘the viper’

65. Adrian says:

We lack penetration and PACE in the final third once again, what does Walcott have to do to get on that damn pitch?

If we can keep it down to 1 nil at half time we’re in with a chance as long as we make the right subs at the right time

67. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

We lack pace. I hate this conservative approach..

WE SHOULD PLAY AT THE TEMPO OF OUR AWAY SUPPORT.

COME ON ARSENAL!

I agree we are lacking in pace, Pod still below par, we are currently toothless in the final third

jack is the player who is showing the most fight

70. Adrian says:

How many games till Wenger realize that Ramsey in RW simply does not work, not when you have Walcotr on the bench. Please please please bring Walcott on after halftime.

71. oz gunner says:

I’d expect nothing less rasp, he’s a great player. Too bad our captain isn’t.

72. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Cold blooded murder!

I furcken HATE MANURE AND FERGIESCUM AND THE REFS ASSOCIATION AND ANYONE ELSE WHO HASNT SEEN THE LIGHT AND JOINED THE RED AND WHITE..

Come on boys FIGHT

73. oz gunner says:

* showing fight that is

74. Alex Cutter says:

More boring than church.

75. oz gunner says:

of course mike dean, of course. A penalty at old trafford no way.

5 have been missed of the 9 given in wenger era come on

76. evonne says:

gotta love Shrek

77. oz gunner says:

make that 6, hahahahaha thank bloody god!!!!!!

78. Alex Cutter says:

You’re really arguing that call?

79. Adrian says:

That was a huge let off for us. Bloody poor half from us, the second half can only get better. Cmon bring on Walcott, and Sagna to LB while Jenks gets on for Santos might not be such a ba idea.

80. rhyle says:

For all of the fear and loathing displayed by some (mainly Myles Palmer) Santos has done okay first half.

81. Adrian says:

I hope Wenger can hear the away fans screaming for Theo to get on.

82. rhyle says:

mugging ourselves off fawning over RVP…ignore him…he’s the fucking ENEMY now…or am I being a bit old fashioned and we should all hug and clap him when he scores against us?!

83. oz gunner says:

wasn’t arguing the call, I’d say anything 50/50 with dean at old trafford is a penalty.

84. Adrian says:

that was always going to be a penalty, if we were denied of that we would be screaming for mike dean’s head.

If we can keep it 1-0 to the 60th minute then make the right subs, we’ll win.

86. rhyle says:

apologies for the language, all…bit “miffed” to say the least…

Well I’m afraid that’s my lot.
    Bearing in mind we will be much better in the second half, I reckon we have them just where we want them
    Enjoy the second half goal fest all
    Damn I want to stay and watch this
    Make the change now Arsene :-)

88. Adrian says:

Why wait till the 60th minute for a change? Clearly this set up isn’t working for us atm. No pace, no cutting edge/incisive passing, no penetration.

89. oz gunner says:

I agree Rocky. I just hope subs aren’t made in the 70th

90. Gooner In Exile says:

Ok someone explain to me this poxy handball rule. If your hands are in line with your body and the ball is going to hit you in the face and human instinct will always protect the head and eyes that’s a penalty? Joke decision, deliberate handball, but still shouldn’t be given. There’s a blog on it somewhere written by a ref and I’ll find it.

Arteta showing once again why so many of us think he should skipper, sleeves rolled up, ready to work and compete.

As for the performance not great in the final third but every time you give a goal away you make it hard.

We’ve conceded 7 PL goals now, today, Chelsea, Southampton, City maybe Norwich all from sloppiness/mistakes. Only team to score and open us up with good play West Ham.

Criminal!

91. Gooner In Exile says:

Too right Rhyle…

92. Gooner In Exile says:

Btw the OT pitch is an absolute dog, can see ball bobbling around in the midfield.

93. oz gunner says:

Well said GiE, it shouldn’t be given unless it’s dead set on purpose e.g goal line ect.

Hopefully today is the last time we see those attackers together

If it hadn’t been for the gifted goal it would be nil nil, Pod, TV and Caz still off top form.

We are pinning all our hopes on a player who is leaving – not a great scenario but he may want to impress his new employers?

I don’t know who we’ve got on the bench but I’d bring on Theo for Ramsey and if we don’t pick up and are still losing with 15 to go, swap Pod for Arsh.

96. oz gunner says:

what did verm and kozzer do in the off-season? they’ve regressed!

I feel sorry for Verm. His confidence seems shot.

Theo warming up, I predict Podolski will come off

99. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

This is not typical of poldi and cazorla.. i think the system hinders these players and their freedom to express themselves…

Oh good AW agrees with me :lol: Theo for Ramsey … good move and early enough

101. evonne says:

we shall see if the extra shooting lesson R$P had given to Theo were any good

102. oz gunner says:

come on boys!!! we’re in this!

103. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

I LOVE YOU JACK BABY!!

Is Eisfeld on the bench?

105. oz gunner says:

santos nooooooooooo!

106. oz gunner says:

Subs: Martinez, Koscielny, Jenkinson, Coquelin, Walcott, Arshavin, Chamakh.

107. oz gunner says:

that was dirty as they come, bloody bsr

108. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Arshavin for Santos, Poldi to left back … Fook Manure :lol:

Im not kidding

Guests late
    COME ON ARSENAL

110. oz gunner says:

barricade the door micky

111. oz gunner says:

Mannone great great save!

Man One!

113. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Special!…mannone don vito

114. Gooner In Exile says:

Goodnight!

115. Adrian says:

Piss poor.

116. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

From nowhere..

117. oz gunner says:

of all the people to score that little shit! that was poor, 3 people out back standing by themselves. The corner was done guys no need to stick to the zone!

118. oz gunner says:

70 minutes and 0 shots on target, says it all really

119. Adrian says:

6 shots on target for MU while 0 to us. Just some perspective on how poor we have been.

Can’t blame Jack, he was trying to fight for the team all on his own.

121. Adrian says:

And wilshere’s off. Just couldn’t get any better.

122. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

BULLLLLLLLLLSHITE!!!!!!

OVER THIS SCUM ASSOCIATION OF MANURE>>

MoTM = JACKWILSHERE

123. Gooner In Exile says:

I’ll do the match report Rasp

124. Alex Cutter says:

F*ng pathetic. I can’t understand why people think this team will challenge for anything this year. Get Arteta into the action!

Hmmm….
    Some serious reappraisal needed about our season.
    In the last three games we have seemed a long way off top four quality.

126. oz gunner says:

“Arteta was looking to go to ground” well done commentary team!

Thanks GiE, much appreciated … and very brave. I’m guessing you’re an angry man :?

Did we actually have a game plan?

Top performance by the away fans again

130. oz gunner says:

Team needs to really look at themselves. Such a big fixture and only Wilshere, Arteta, Mannone, and Sagna rocked up. It must be deflating though when your leader plays a game like he has today. Oh viera where art thou?

131. evonne says:

just as well Manyoo are shit, otherwise it could be a repeat of the last season

Nothing, absolutely nothing to write home about.

If we still had RvP, we’d be winning this game -they’re not that good, just stronger than us in the tackle, and much more potent up front

133. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

time for CHAMACK ATTACKKK :lol:

134. oz gunner says:

Do we ever Rasp? The game plan hasn’t changed over the last 3 seasons.

433…yep and that’s about it.
    Plan B – A midfielder on the wing.
    Until we respect the opposition and combat them we have no hope becoming champions.

Only if Arshavin has just dropped dead on the bench. Poor old Giroud has had zero service

136. evonne says:

ppp – can’t see why not, might shock the opposition if nothing else

137. oz gunner says:

Agree, they aren’t that good. That’s the frustrating thing (like last season) Man united are beatable but they get the job done, we don’t

Santos is knackered – but he did play 120 mins on tuesday

139. JM says:

No surprises, SAF has Arsene’s number yet again.

140. Adrian says:

I strongly believe that the management needs a reshuffle, too many times have we faced games like these. No fire, no motivation, no plan B, no adaptations.

141. oz gunner says:

wasn’t it miquel rasp?

We’ve been poor, but the way Manure have stopped every breakaway we’ve had with little fouls and trips is really bad.

They are professional fouls and should all be yellows, but Fergie’s Rent Boy has hardly carded any of them.

It’s not an excuse for our performance, just an observation.

Mannone is our MoTM today.

Miquel and Santos both played oz

145. Adrian says:

One sided game really. 87th minute and not even a single shot on target.

146. Red Arse says:

I cannot understand this.

In the 84th minute, losing 2:0 and we play pat a cake across the pitch and whoops back to the keeper; hoick the ball upfield and lose possession.

What has come over us as a club that our main tactic is to pass side ways, and backwards at a snail’s pace?

147. Alex Cutter says:

Shot on goal yet?

148. oz gunner says:

It’s def there to see Rocky. Only difference is when we show any physical side they fall over (young especially). How often do we out card the opposition when we don’t make a harsh tackle or give less fouls? It has been constant today though

Don’t mind losing but we can’t even fire blanks.United haven’t been out of second gear and don’t look that great.
    how many 50/50 balls have we won ?

Well thursday night it is next season (hopefully,better than nothing)
    Our crossing has again been woeful. Don’t recognise this as an Arsenal team anymore, and the manager must take the blame,he can’t motivate anymore.

Man of the match for us….debatable.

Man of the match goes to our away supporters

Away fans are amazing

152. Red Arse says:

I admire the wonderful away fans. Still outsinging the Manure fans and “they love Arsenal”.

Now that is great support and this team do not deserve them!! :-)

153. slimgingergooner says:

Early mistake put us on the back foot straightaway and any gameplan we may have had goes out the window.

Cleverly stays on the pitch for doing the same as Jack.

Dreadful penalty decision.

Whilst I agree we have been below our best, certain things have gone against us today which makes a difficult task even harder.

154. Brigham says:

Gutless performance yet again and we have never looked like troubling their defence, let alone scoring.

Massive big up the travelling support once again, you can be heard loud and proud.

155. oz gunner says:

I’ll think you’ll find it was Miquel and the Meade at LB when miquel cramped up. Santos wasn’t even in the squad

ARSENAL

Nico Yennaris
    Thomas Eisfeld(62)
    Olivier Giroud(62

156. Brigham says:

Great goal by Santi,

157. oz gunner says:

Where was that fight for the other 93 mins?????

OK oz, apologies, the informant sitting on the right of me got it wrong – and we’ve just scored

The positives: We hit the woodwork and Mike Dean will get a huge bonus. A penalty and a red card, nether of which deserved must be worth at least a BMW 320i

RvP plays for us and we win, simples. The Board and the manager are responsible …. and they want us to wait just another 2 years until we can compete in the transfer market.

161. oz gunner says:

none needed rasp.

I’m still shocked…evra…come on!

Exactly right Rasp.

As I said in the post a Titanic shambles of a transfer for us and the PL title for MU. Rank stupidity

If ever there was conclusive proof that Arsenal are a business first and a football club second, we saw it today

163. oz gunner says:

I think we’ve definitely got the personnel. It’s just how we use it! tactics and pressure are needed, we are Arsenal for christ sake, what do we do on the training track?

Oz. Very good question.

165. Red Arse says:

Are we are slowly descending to mid-table mediocrity!

Sorrry BR, that was a penalty any day of the week. Hopefully Santi will learn his lesson and not put his hands up like that again.

The second yellow for Jack was a bit harsh, but not ridiculous.

Mike Dean is the least of our problems.

Vermaelen and Podolski both need some time out of the first team.

And I’m afraid there is absolutely NO way that Theo will be staying with us.

Redders
    Sad but probably true – although I still wouldn’t be surprised to see AW turn it round.

RA. We will finish 4th or 5th.

169. oz gunner says:

Enjoy the rest of your day fellow gunners, I hope you turn it into something enjoyable.

I’m off to dream about BSR in ‘Saw’ traps

RL. I am wearing my GoonerGoogles. No penalty, no red card and Cleverly should have seen red.

171. Adrian says:

At least last year’s result was a freak result, we were a team in tatters then and most of the players on the pitch in Arsenal shirts then were hugely inexperienced and weren’t even considered first team players. Luck played a major factor too.

This year, we fielded arguably our strongest squad with the sole exception of the GK (who happens to be the motm today, says it all really) and LB position who are all first team players. Yet we were nowhere close to winning and had one pathethic shot on target in the last minute. Beautiful goal for sure, unfortunately it didn’t matter.

Shows a huge contrast in winning mentality and managers and their tactics. I’m afraid Wenger cannot motivate our players much anymore and is not bringing anything new to revolutionize the team. Very, very disappointing result. In some ways, today’s result was more disappointing than last years.

172. neamman says:

What is wrong with us? We have to fix the midfield.. players like Wiltshire, Arteta, cazola and Ramsey should be creating clear cut chances for the forwards..but how many did they have? Virtually none..yet consider the number of good chances MU created. Is it the tactics? Is it confidence? They definitely need a shake up..perhaps give Coquelin or Elsfeld a run out.. just to let the others know their place is in jeopardy. Podolski looks out of confidence.. I am a great AW fan but for the first time I am wondering is he the problem. Oh,, for all the criticism of santos I thought he had a good game today. But in truth it should have been 4-5 to 1.. we were that bad.

Says a lot when our away fans are the guys of the match. No squad depth to compete and I am afraid under Wenger we will not get any better.he has been great but is now on a downhill spiral. it was on the cards last season.
    the players look flat, no energy, no real ambition to fight for the ball against a united team not at their best.

only 10 games gone is our only plus to turn things round.

BR
    True – Cleverly should have been off if Dean was consistent. Indeed that might have tipped the game, as it was only 1-0 at that point (I think).

175. Red Arse says:

Raddy, 4th or 5th sounds like wishful thinking on the evidence of our eyes.

176. Adrian says:

One more thing. Liverpool had better maintain their crap form this season and stay the way they are and Tottenham has to have their usual mid season deterioation. And newcastle’s fine form last season had better be a fluke. Or else we’ll be in for a VERY tough battle to even get into the top 4.

Pity really, who would’ve imagined a couple years ago that we might face the possibility of not even getting into the top 4. Huge drop from competing for titles. Major backroom and management team changes needed if this is the year we drop out of the top 4. We have the personnel, its just the problem of utiliZing/motivating and most importantly keeping hold of them (Walcott)

177. alex cutter says:

“In some ways, today’s result was more disappointing than last years.”

This.

Right now, I can’t see us making top four. But I can still hope…

179. JM says:

@Big Raddy,

Both Wilshere & Cleverly walking on thin line after receiving their yellows.
    Then Wilshere clattered RvP late and gets a talking to by referee, and likewise Cleverly gets a talking by referee to by taking out Wilshere late.
    The difference was Wilshere stayed on the pitch while SAF subbed out Cleverly immediately after that challenge on Wilshere. That’s SAF going 1 up over Arsene with an enforced tactical change.

Rasp
    Selling BSR to ManUre will indeed go down as one of the worst pieces of footballing business ever done.

We could have insisted he stayed. We would now have his 12 (or whatever) goals. United would be in deep doodoo.

We would be 25 million worse off – but that’s going to happen anyway if we fail to qualify for CL.

And I’m afraid that a few more performances like the recent ones will result in a big drop-off in home attendance too.

I blame the inter lull.

We were going great guns until that stupid two-week break.

182. neutrino says:

Predictable result, could be easily close to the same scoreline as the last year if not for my MoTM Manone.
    Overall lack of energy & determination display today, great late strike from Santi though.
    I feel sorry for our away fans they deserve better.

183. Adrian says:

Oh by the way I’ve just realized that we’ve accumulated more points than we have at this stage last season compared to this season. For all the talks of Arsenal being a huge improvement compared to last season duing the first few games of the season, there is absolutely no statistic to back it up. This could be a defining season for both AFC and Wenger.

184. This is exactly the reason why i said that i hoped RVP would not win the game for United today, because people will refuse to move on.

185. Carlito11 says:

Low expectations fulfilled- but still a shame to see the lack of threat from us until the away fans inspired the consolation effort from Santi. RA- I think you’re right- mid-table is where we are right now…

186. kgooner says:

:( : ( : ( What happened to the team earlier on in the season?? We’re back on that dreaded downward spiral – inconsistency. I remember, from last year. When you thought that we’d come out of the doldrums after a win, back in we went. We can’t compete for the title, not like this. I am gutted. Not so much because we lost, but we did not come out and put up a fight. I felt like i was watching Manure play. They walked all over us. I am happy for Santos. no one will pin this on him. this was the whole team combined.

Is there any way we could play that would let Santi take chances at shots on goal? I feel he could at least get one in of several attempts.

Fingers crossed for Wednesday.

187. JM says:

Difference between Man Utd, Chelsea (who both we lost 1-2) & us: Their clubs are targeting and fighting for the EPL title while we (the club management) would be satisfied with qualifying for CL.

188. Adrian says:

The Arsenal this couple of weeks bears absolutely no resemblance to the Arsenal couple of years back in terms of offense. The Arsenal years ago was a beauty to watch going forward and scoring goals with delicate passing. The only problem back then was our defence, but going forward and scoring goals was never a problem and was a beautiful process to watch.

The Arsenal of late has simply been toothless in attack, back passing has also taken over the usual beautiful theough passes. Passing is slow and not crisp and the overall tempo is very low. Our defence is a slight improvement, but to be honest the slight defensive improvement this year does not make up for all the beautiful and brutal attacking instincts lost over the past couple of years.

Could we perhaps be heading down their Liverpool way..?

189. glic says:

Rocky@ 2:56pm, Spot on. He was Brave, our Board were not. They could only see the small picture………= £ signs, not the big picture………= Possible Premier League Title, definate CL qualification !. Now we have a big fight on our hands. Right now, I`d take another Squeeky Bum Sunday in May !. hahaha

190. neutrino says:

@Adrian, 3:03
    Correct me if i’m wrong. I think we accumulated more point at the same stage last season, 16 points from 10 matches compared to 15 points this season. The big difference is last season we climbed up from the abyss.

Vermaelen is the one who really surprises me.he really has lost form and perhaps confidence.
    Manone did OK, as did Sagna and Santi’s goal was a peach,but too many players just under performed and not for the first time this season. we have a non existant attack. Worrying times ahead.

192. richie says:

As soon as TV5 gave RvP a gift wrapped goal we were in trouble. We held our own without creating anywhere near enough goal scoring chances. Ramsey has confirmed what we all already knew, if he’s played in a technical midfield 4 he’ll struggle, because he needs 3 touches before he looks up and attempts a pass. I lost count of the amount of times he panic passed to a team mate surrounded by the opposition. Not only that but he’d power ping the ball to a team mate leaving them no chance to control the ball. I repeat I am not a Rambo hater but he’s not technically gifted enough to play the one touch the rest of our mid is playing.

The ref had a typical Old Toilet game he sends off Jack who fouled his opponent because he was trying to keep control of the ball, but showed no intent. But refussed to send of Cleverly for fouling with intent. Amazing that isn’t it? Surprise surprise he gave them a pen too! I think Jacks red card came about after the Rooney penalty miss.Mike Dean was probably trying to make sure SAF didn’t ask for his money back!

Come on guys. Get a grip. We lost to United away not Barnet. We have won just once in 11 visits.

Losing such an early goal doomed us. If we attackntoo much we are open to the best counter-attacking side in the PL.

Are MU better than us at the moment? Yes.
    Are we a poor team? No

194. Red Arse says:

JM, you have beaten me to it.

We do not have any god-given right to win anything, but to be facing a struggle to achieve 4th when we are only 10 games in, with 28 to go is bitterly disappointing.

It won’t happen.You think the next 3 games will be easy.Schalke, Fulham and spurs.
    podolski looks way off the pace as well. Then some will argue that diaby and Rosicky aren’t fit, but they never put a string of games together. the Ox would improve the side.
    Theo should have started as United had let in twice as many as us before today’s game. Why didn’t he ? is is that Wenger just won’t play him because of the contract issue which tells me theo is off.

I was told there weren’t more than 40/45 thousand people for the QPR game, correct me if i was wrong, but even if all the tickets were sold and we continue in this way the attendences will drop dramatically next season and if we don’t get fourth that is a huge lloss of income for the club.

did any of you enjoy that performane today ?

Raddy,

we haven’t been playing well for a long time. one can’t just keep losing ones best players every year and experiment all the time. I really think this season we will drop ot of the top four which might just shake things up.

BR
    We have been a poor team in the last 4 or 5 games.

198. Red Arse says:

Randy, I like your enthusiasm, as always.

If you conducted a poll of those who watched that game the majority would say we were a poor team today. We were also poor against Norwich.

Is ‘poorness’ a transient quality?

The Vermaelen mistake after two minutes reminded me of the CL semi-final at the Ems a few years back, when Gibbs slipped and let ManUre in for a goal in the first couple of minutes.

It seemed to knock the stuffing out of us then and today.

The telling thing is that this year’s captain – TV5 – panicked and bottled it and last year’s captain – BSR – didn’t.

200. Red Arse says:

Rocky,

Will you stop mind-melding with me, please.

People will start to think we are not just friends, but more like Vulcans!! I knew your ears would give you away!! :-)

It’s ever since you gave me the Vulcan death hold that time in the woods Redders… I haven’t been feeling myself since…

Cue GLiC…

202. Red Arse says:

Rocky, have you been playing fast and loose with the Glicster?

You run fast – and he is loose with that mirror of his!! :-)

203. Gooner In Exile says:

Rasp match report in, you can post it now if you want it probably summarises most of what’s being said.

in a nutshell it wasn’t the result it was the performance overall by our boys that was disturbing.

205. Gooner In Exile says:

If you do decide to post early you’ll have to change the scheduled time date (did it on iPhone on WP app and scheduled for tomorrow morning).

I think Mr Kroenke should kindly ask his wife for a loan of say 150 million, interest free, and arrange it for Monday.

207. jnyc says:

Depressing. Will be a major fight for fourth we didnt want to admit it, but we were very fortunate at the end of last season. i expected much more this season

208. Gooner In Exile says:

I wouldn’t give that money to anyone at the club right now Kelsey….in fact I don’t believe spending money is the way forward.

You can’t turn every piece of coal into a diamond….but we have had the pick of London based youth talent for more than enough years and quite a few from around Europe and I honestly think its time some of these senior pros got a lesson. If Gibbs isn’t fit next game play Meade at left back, if Gervinho and Ox aren’t fit play Gnabry, drop Cazorla play Eisfield, drop Pod play Bellerin, drop Giroud play Watt, drop TV play Miquel. They are all dispensable, they have no right to start and they need to learn a lesson.

209. Gooner In Exile says:

I can support a team of youngsters I can’t support experienced pros who shouldn’t be able to look in the mirror after their last few performances.

Unbelievable belief remember those times?

210. Gooner In Exile says:

One thing that should be pointed out is that we have only played 40% of our total played at home, last season we had to go away towards the end of the season to some difficult matches (Anfield, Etihad, Britannia), we’ve done those ones, we have games at home to catch up and make up the lost ground, and as we sit we are 6th and the gap is not ridiculous.

211. We have played City away, Liverpool away, Stoke away, Chelsea home, United away in our first 10 games.

Lets not go too overboard with the doom and gloom.

We now have a decent run until January and i believe we will be in amongst the top 4 at that stage.

212. Adrian says:

Let’s face it, we were very lucky to scrap 3rd and get into the CL this season. With the way this season has unraveled so far, the signs shown so far aren’t very promising. There is genuine reason to worry if we’ll make it to the top 4 this season, we look as toothless as we can be going forward for yearsand our defence unfortunately is still prone to individual errors. We’re still lacking the cohesion factor, an out and out goal scorer and our next best thing to a proper finisher is likely to leave. The feel good factor at the beginning of the season has been long gone. With Chelsea in such a strong state and Tottenham breathing down our necks, it can be safely said that 4th place will be quite a challenge this season. Wenger and the management has a lot of prep and work to do.

213. Adrian says:

The player wearing the biggest pointy hat with a big letter D on it today is obviuosly Vermaelen. The next, would not be Ramsey as some might assume; he was playing out of position. No, the player wearing the next biggest pointy hat was Podolski…….he was so ineffectual, words fail me.

LB
    Agree with that. We have no natural width and Pod out left just looks uninvolved but, worse than that, his passing (even his short passing) was awful. A lot of our moves broke down with him.

He has shown enough previously to prove he’s a good player – we’ve just got to figure out how to get the best out of him.

216. Gooner In Exile says:

Chelsea suffer late equaliser at Swansea, Spuds lose at home to Wigan, Everton held to draw at home. City to beat WBA and we stay in touch, but we need to improve drastically, we looked beaten before the match started.

LB you’ll agree with my ratings then :)

217. would you rather be Arsenal, Spurs, Everton or Liverpool after 10 games, bearing in mind the squads they have and the teams they’ve played?

Can anyone tell me who got the assist for Cazorla’s goal?

219. richie says:

@Kelsey4:11 £150mil? To expand our academy? Don’t tell me I’ve coverted you already? :)

220. jnyc says:

Rocky, Glic. Perfectly said about rvp sale. I dont feel like we need to let the issue go, it haunts me every week as he performs brilliantly and saves games for them. ALMOST EVERY WEEK. And we struggle at the forward position at the same time. That money is just sitting in our accounts anyway, not helping the team, and as you said, we will lose more than that if we dont qualify for CL.
    Its my right to complain becuse so many of us said not to do it at the time.

221. Red Arse says:

Rasp,

The assist for Cazzor’s goal came courtesy of Cazzor!

He took a shot it rebounded back to him, he passed to himself, took a shot, for which he will be fined a week’s wages, and SCORED!! :-)

:lol: RA, there must be an assister? I’ll wait for chas’ judgement

223. glic says:

Slim
    I`d rather been in Manu`s position !. Wenger should have told the board, F**k off !, I`m keeping Persie and if you dont like it , fire me !.
    They are sitting Top, because of the £££££££££££`s we got for him !.
    Stupid, stupid, stupid …………….blah, blah……………mistake !.
    What is worrying is that…..I…..yes me….a f**king van driver, could see the mistake and these intellectuals couldn`t !.
    I have said, I dont expect anything for a few years, but dont help the enemy !. Wake me up in two years time !.
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz…………..are we there yet ? hahaha

224. Mr. Arsenal ‏@OsmanZtheGooner
    When Gooners are really down, Spuds always help us raise our morale a little by their results. Thank U

Results went our way today.

It is only 3 PL games since WHU. We are out of form but not a poor team.

When have we seen TV play so poorly or Pod (who is a fine player) or even worse Koscielny ?

226. glic says:

PS
    I should add, I`m an intellectual Van Driver !. hahaha

Glic. You will strugle to find anyone to disagree with you. Apart from the Board and RvP

228. goonermichael says:

We are worse off than at this point last season. I don’t think we are top 4 material. I haven’t seean the game at all but I expected to lose.

229. i guarantee that come January we will be in the top 4 and on a decent run and all this will be forgotten!

230. Gooner In Exile says:

Still the best defence in the league too :)

231. glic says:

Sorry AAers, I`m just letting off a bit of steam …………………….my wife has been shovelling coal up my arse for the last three hours !

glic :-D

Mine has been consoling me ….. (newlyweds)

233. GLIC

Mine has been avoiding me…..(newlyweds!)

234. glic says:

No Raddy, she`s not consoling you, she`s measuring you up to see whether you will fit in the inglenook !, has she given you the flue recently ?

How did you know? I thought the tape measure meant she was going to buy me a new pair of skis.

236. glic says:

Then Arse Skiing must be a new event ! . hahaha

237. evonne says:

I haven’t even got a wife :(

Benayoun is great for West Ham
    Mancini and Balottelli keep on arguing :)

238. richie says:

Sorry guys but this Shit re RvP is madness! BSR didn’t want to stay with us full stop! He saw the grasss was greener elsewhere, it wouldn’t have mattered if we’d broken (shattered) our wage structure massively he’d of wanted more!Yes he was/is a great striker but didn’t want to stay with the club that made him, so move on. I might be a bloody strange Gooner but I only want players playing for the Arse who want to play for us. I want players who want to plat for AFC!

239. evonne says:

could we free Ballotteli? He and Mankini clearly hate each other’s guts

240. evonne says:

richie – I am strange too, want R$P dead, back stubbing front bottom

Hi richie, I think for RvP/BsR substitute £25m striker. We sold BSR for that kind of money and yet replaced him with players half that price. Top strikers cost top dollar.

242. richie says:

@SGG it seems my Gooner Bro’ that we are the only one who don’t see the gallows, we may have less points than at this stage last season, but we’ve had harder fixturesw. Check like for like. I am like you, willing to bet we’ll be top 4.

243. Red Arse says:

So for those of us without wives, the attraction you put forward for us is a coal shoveller, an avoider and an inglenook measurer!

Is this some secret code for wifely shenanigans that we more innocent types, and Evonne, should be inducted into? :-)

Oh bloody Dear.
    Saw until about 70mins.
    A bad start can happen to anyone, but we were out fought by Utd, and that has to be unacceptable. It has happened many times over the past season or two, but always against the supposed lesser teams. This is new ground not showing up for a game like this.
    Right now, I am utterly sick of Wenger not motivating his players. There are many managers who could do a better job in this respect.

245. evonne says:

RA :) they are mad, don’t mind them

Rasp – how much did we pay for R$P? Or for TH14? Giroud is great, but nobody played him any balls today

246. glic says:

Just realised Howard Webb is the Reff` in this Hammers game, will City be allowed to win ?. Fergie is the forth official !.

247. evonne says:

Micky – yes. A good old fashioned rollocking could do them a world of good

248. richie says:

@Rasp Talent brought in from outside the prem takes time to adjust remember Thierry? Or would you rather remember how long it took RvP? What was it? 7 & a half years to come good? Sorry Rasper but too many have short memory’s!

249. Red Arse says:

Richie you and Slim are not alone, you will find Terrynutkins will tell you, ‘sod 4th place, we will win the Premiership’, and so too Big Randy, who in fairness, despite his failed Virgin Sacrifice rites today, is often right! :-)

There must be a dearth of virgins! Bloody Glic!!

Oh no, not you blaming refs Glic.
    If we had bothered today, I believe we could have overcome the ref by sticking the ball in the net. At least tried.

251. Red Arse says:

richie, you are right, as always, in your mind, look at the disgraceful way that Mata, Oscar and Hazard are playing at Chelsea. They are only second in the Prem, what can they be thinking?

I would not have any of them for Arsenal…………………….. my arse I wouldn’t!

252. evonne says:

well done Hammers

253. glic says:

Richie, I think most of them are playing for the money, not AFC !.
    I might be wrong, but I`m sure RVP would have been professional and given us 100% if he had been made to stay for the reat of the season ( and at no extra cost ). I cant prove it, but I`m sure we would be in a better position now, than where we currently sit and Manu would not be top !.
    What I can say for certain is that, he would have not scored and assisted any goals for Manu and we wouldn`t have £24M in the bank if he had been made to stay . F**k the money I say !.

254. Red Arse says:

And not to forget our brilliant little Spaniard, Cazorla!

Outside talent — phttt! Who needs them?

Admit Rasper, your memory is simply not up to it when you suggest we should have bought a quality player,for the equivalent sum we sold RvP for. :-) In the world according to richie that is.

Unfortunately richie I have a very long memory. Bringing talent to its peak and selling it when we have not had a chance to reap the rewards of our nurturing is extremely frustrating and a pattern none can deny

I think BSR conducted himself very well today and was by far the best player on the pitch. I can accept the ‘we can’t match the wages’ argument but not the ‘we’re nearly there just give us 2 more years and we’ll be competing with the big boys’

256. Hi Richie,

I understand peoples frustrations re RVP, but like you, i believe he engineered the move and therefore is no different to Nasri or Cesc.

However, i can also see that people are frustrated as they dont believe we have replaced him whereas its easier to forget Cesc and Nasri now that we have Santi and Arteta.

What people seem to forget though is the over reliance we had on RVP last season. Wenger used the money from him to buy 2 strikers in Pod and Giroud which i believe to be the right move. The other issue is that RVP was a surefire 20+ goals a season, whereas the 2 weve replaced him with are going to need time, time which some will not afford them (remember people kicking off at Giroud after 1 game!).

Nobody knows how a player is going to settle into a club until they get there. People need to forget RVP and support the new guys, because they are the future. I saw after the Schalke game that someone was wondering why we had Giroud and not Huntelaar, but it wasnt long ago that Huntelaar was flopping at Madrid. Price tag is no guarantee of quality.

Nothing happens until something moves”, Albert Einstein ;)

258. Red Arse says:

Rasp @7:23, who can argue with that?

In two years time, Abramovich for Chelsea, the state of Abu Dhabi for City, and the colossal commercial revenue of Manure will still make a few bob available to buy up as much of the available top talent as they need.

And that is not taking into account the wealthy backers of PSG, the Russian oil barons who are now funding the Eastern Europe clubs, and did I mention two of the top three wealthiest clubs i.e Real Madrid and Barcelona?

Yes siree, that will all have changed, of course. NOT.

Or shall we rely on the FFP regulations which will be shredded by litigation by those clubs, if UEFA try to penalize them?

259. glic says:

Slim
    I wouldn`t call Huntelaar a flop, he only got 20 games at Real and scored 8. I should imagine he would have got more goals if the ball hadn`t been glued to Ronaldo`s feet !.

richie and slim, surely the question should be, what have we got to do to become the sort of club that good players don’t want to leave?

261. GLIC,

Fair enough, but the point is that we have spent the money we got from RVP on Pod and Giroud, and they should be afforded the time to settle. If every player was judged after 10 games then 80% would be flops, and some of the current flops like Arshavin and Chamakh would be heroes!!!

262. Red Arse says:

Wow, Kelsey, I have always wanted someone to explain the physical law of inertia! Do tell! :-)

This has nothing to do with Glic pursing his lips and emptying the night club of everyone except those with a white stick, is it?

263. Rasp,

Change our wage structure, or win trophies.

RA Hi,
    One more club being “oiled-up” and its midtable for us (God forbid that should be Spurs), as crowds, corporate and sponsorship will not leave the sustaining model able to pay the existing loans.
    I have long said that we cannot survive outside the top four.
    We either change managers right now, and get someone who will get these players to fight, or Stan gives AW a large pot of cash to go out and buy some top quality footballers and leaders.

Absolutely sgg. I think the two year rule should have nothing to do with the toothless FFP fantasy and everything to do with purging ourselves of wage parity and replacing it with a meritocracy as every other top club operates – who knows the incentive may mean we win a trophy or two.

Sorry, I am with micky. Those of us that get up early, think clearer :)

Wenger has always said that the general rule of thumb is that it takes a good six months to adapt to the pace of the PL.there are exceptions like lately Sagna, but forwards always take longer.

Ramsey gets a lot of stick but maybe mentally he won’t be the same. Eduardo was only just getting more regular game time before his awful leg break.

I don’t care if Spurs and Fulham, yes Fulham and everton dropped points i only care about Arsenal and what I saw today and to an extent against reading this week was a terrible display by the team on the whole.Something is wrong be it players,training, the coaches or the manager.

SAF was basically taking the piss out of us after the game, that hurts,but he is right.
    As far as santos is concerned,he may turn out out to be a good player but as a LB never for us.

267. glic says:

Agree Slim, they should be given time and hopefully they will come good. I actually like Giroud, but still dont get Podolski. I was critical of him for recent Germany displays in the Euro`s before he even kicked a ball for us. I dont think we spent RVP`s money on them, as I think they arrived before he was sold !.

were gona win the league, were gona win the league, when we acheive financial paratieeeee, were gona win the league

were gona win the league, were gona win the league, because ivan says we will have loadsaaaa money, were gona win the league

And Stan will be able to afford a new wig. and stan will be able to afford a new wig, because ivan says we will have loadsaaaaa money, were gona win the league………in th year 2017. hahahaha

I said all that earlier micky at 7.49 :)

Christ when Strictly gets a bigger audience than The X factor you know something is wrong.

270. richie says:

@Glic&RA7:23 yes certainly we would’ve been in a better position in the league currently if we’d have forced RvP to stay! Yes I agree! I also aree RvP would’ve been a complete pro and given us his all! But then you can’t have your cake and eat it, no RVP sale no Giro-Pod buy. Next season RvP joins united on a free and we don’t have any reinvestment money. Short sighted short term gain!

onehopeonelove (Manchester United): Just to comment on Arsenal: I actually started to feel sorry for them watching that game today. It’s safe to say that the Manchester United-Arsenal rivalry is well and truly over, reason, they simply aren’t a threat anymore. Its sad to see Arsenal in so much decline because some of the past meetings between the clubs have been my fondest memories at Old Trafford and Highbury. From title contenders to consistent top4 finishers to a team now who hasn’t won any silverware for the past 8 seasons and faces a fight to make the Champions League every year. I hope that they sort it out because, on form, they are a delight to watch, but it has to be said, this league is very quickly losing the Arsenal of old.

Micky . If Silent Stan sells his shares, as seems likely, we will be the next team to be “oiled” up or gazprom’d up

273. richie says:

@MDI897:49 OMG, Shit I didn’t realise! I thought I was on AA not Le Grove. Change managers right now? Can someone at least try to get a grip.

274. glic says:

Sorry richie, weren`t they bought before RVP was sold, so all we needed was the dogs doo dahs to keep him, no balls ,no game, no chance !

“Oiled Up”………..lubbed.

Rolf

276. evonne says:

richie – I am with you. Not sure who pressed the panic button, but everybody seems to be running for cover.

Micky darling – who do you suggest is going to finish in top 4 then?

Kelsey,
    What the heck do you mean you are sorry you are with Micky :-)

278. slimgingergooner says:

Richie,

There is always a grieving period after a defeat.

I think it’s fair to say that we are not going to win the league whilst there is such a gap in finances between the top clubs.

We either wait for FFP and hope it works, get taken over by an oil baron, or run the club at a loss. Personally, I prefer to wait and see how option 1 pans out and set my expectations accordingly for the next 18 months.

We will be back, and when we do it will be with a big bang

Its Arsenes last year next season isnt it?, unless he signs a new contract, and i doubt it. The legacy he will leave his sucessor will be a great one.

I can not buy this doom and gloom. We are taking some uncomfortable blows at the moment and for the next few years will continue to do so but the club is positioning itself for the future.

It is not a questionof “If”, it is a question of “When”

280. glic says:

Raddy, It is likely Stan will sell his shares ?. I thought he had never sold a sports company before !. Have you inside info from the inglenook ?. hahaha

Richie,
    I have manners as well as my own opinions. Here suits me perfectly.

Evonne,
    We can easily be 4th, and we certainly have the players to do it, what jeopardizes it, is lack of effort, and like it or not, Utd worked harder.

I meant i agree with you micky :)

284. glic says:

Let me make myself clear. I believe FFP will work and that we have a few uncomfortable years ahead. My point and opinion has been that we should not have let RVP go. This year would have been a lot more comfortable with him here and would have made the following year easier for ther likes of Giroud to settle in.

I ahree with you aggain micky at 8.29
    I asked you before richie,write a post for us,but you ignored the request.

Kelsey,
    Maybe we should start going out late and drinking heavily, that way lie-ins could become possible again :-)

Cornwall, i agree with you mate.

FFP and new comercial deals alone will not gaurantee that we return as genuine title contenders, but it will help

Arsene should guide us to top four for the next couple of years, and then his successor will take the reigns of a New Arsenal, ready to go.

I am very excited by the future.

288. glic says:

Stretch, I`m not surprised you are excited by the future, you have the dates for the next 2 years of all the GILF night`s in Harlow !. hahaha

Can’t believe we’re still 6th. The other results really went for us.

Richie,
    Reading back, I didn’t mean that personally, just that I don’t fit on LeGrove. Nor do you.
    However, I don’t think we are performing and the manager must take some responsibility for that. Mostly, I’m worried about our club, as I don’t think we will survive well without CL football and all that it brings.
    From a business point of view we are operating on the limit.

Hi Rocky, we could be 8th by Tuesday if W Brom and toon win :(

I personally don’t believe that FFP will have any significant effect on the big spending clubs – they have already demonstrated that they can find a way round the rules and UEFA are powerless to do anything about it. The smaller clubs are the tones who will be the most effected and the ones who do not have the resources to buy their way round the rules.

The most Ivan Gazidis could say was that he was ‘cautiously optimistic’ (exact quote) that FFP would be effective.

294. slimgingergooner says:

Whilst I agree that things aren’t rosy at the moment, I just cannot see how we are in a worse position than last year.

We have players like Jack, Cazorla, Podolski and Giroud who we didn’t have last season. We have Mertersacker, Gibbs, Gervinho and Jenks who have improved massively. We have played a lot of the ‘tougher fixtures’ already and we have a stronger squad than last year (though it may not feel like that right now).

The only team I see troubling us for the top 4 is Spurs, and they have been worse than us considering who they’ve played. Everton will be thin on the ground when injuries hit and Liverpool are a mess.

I think some perspective has been lost during the last few weeks due to pretty poor performances, but I also think mainly due to a knock on effect of disappointments last season.

This team will improve with games and I have every faith we will finish top 4, and who knows, maybe even sneak a cup.

I think your underestimating FFP Rasp, but i believe we agree that only time will tell.

We must hope for the rules to have significant impact and that new comercial deals and financial stability will bring us closer to financial parity

The destabalisation that occurs when we lose our players is killing us. No club can expect to be succesful when it constantly loses its best players to its rivals.

In the last set of accounts we saw a significant increase in our wage bill. Is this the beggining of our new phase? I am not sure, but it is encouraging. In the next couple of years the key will be to keep the likes of Jack and Alex C at the club. I am of the opinion that we may just do it, and if we do, we will become a great team again.

What ever happens, lets not turn bitter, thats Totnumbs job. Ours is to support the team and despite the odds keep the hope that we can succeed.

spot on Ginge

May I 2nd the spot on

Factually in terms of results we are worse off than last year. Cast your eye across the like for like games widget you will see that we have lost and drawn to teams we beat or drew with last year – this cannot be denied. However we are better off in terms of the available personnel, all we have to do is to get them to perform with more energy, commitment and cutting edge up front than they have for the last 3 or 4 games.

We are unlikely to be ahead of our running total for last year by the new year because at this point we went on a terrific run winning 6, drawing 2 and only losing 1 game.

Thanks TMHT, I tell it like I see it – good or bad.

My reaction when things are not going well is to look for answers.

300. Just saw the highlights. Mannone made some good saves

I think tommorow the papers will have news about how the premier league clubs are close to agreeing there own financial fair play

This is very important and will play right into Arsenals hands.

I do not believe that Abramovitch and the sheiks want to go on making losses and am damn sure that all the other owners of clubs dont.

Keep the faith. In a few years Arsenal will be able to compete on a much greater financial footing. We will keep our star players and develop teams that can win titles

“The Ghosts of the Thirties are stiring”

Terry
    After bad showings like today it’s always a pleasure to read your comments.

Terry’s underpants will save us all!

Its a pleasure that your pleasured Rocky. hahaha

It can be a roller coaster been a football fan, but we at Arsenal have a lot to look forward too. Everything is falling into place for a new and exciting era for the club. Sure, were not were we want to be, but we will get there.

My underpants have been through a lot lately but have kept the faith, and so will i.

Haha
    Nice one Terry.
    I’m back on board now, after a momentary wobble at full time!

But I’m expecting tomorrow’s match report to be “Angry GiE” instead of “Cuddly GiE”.

306. oz gunner says:

Great reading the comments by Richie, Slim and TMHT.

GiE hit the nail on the head at 4.19. Just because you’re a big name shouldn’t guarantee a starting position. No1 in the squad should be safe (especially on yesterdays performance!).

I’ll always have faith that we win the league until it’s mathematically impossible to do so. It’s been said to death but where is our pressing game? Where is our motivation? If Barca and BD get so much success pressing all over the pitch and fighting for the ball back, why don’t we adopt such an approach? It seems like we are far behind the 8-ball in terms of tactics. If we were to walk in the Arsenal change rooms now we would see a whiteboard with dust and cob webs on it!

We have the personnel but we do not utilize it best. Yossi worked against Tottenham, yes great bit of tactics. Why have we been overusing ever since???? It doesn’t work all the time!

We are some tactics and some long overdue fire/passion away from winning the league! It’s as simple as that. Jack is back, follow him around and see how he goes about it, same with Arteta! Verm, Kozzer, and Djourou need to find out where their previous selves went!

Get those ghosts stirring Terry…we need them right now!

307. richie says:

@Glic8:18 What came first the chicken or the egg? We sold A Song to buy a Santi. We bought a Giro-Pod for an RvP. The books were balanced, more importantly the wages books were balanced, out went a big money contract, and in came 2 more modest ones. Why is that important? Why is it ridiculous for our “supporters” to ask for a breaking of our wage structure? Just a small matter of not making a loss. Some lunatic’s say who cares? Lets live on credit like Manu’er but SAF’s mob have the biggest turn over in merchandising in the prem, so although they run at a massive loss, its small in comparison to the money making machine that is Manu’er. We are breaking even only through selling players. If you want to check out our figures then hit the link below. There seems to be some sort of consensus amongst our too many Gooner accountants on AA that the Swiss ramblers got it right. I say some sort of consensus because ask any 3 accountants and you’ll get 5 opinions.

308. richie says:

@Kelsey I know you asked for an article and I will write another post its been a while since I did, but I’m a 2 finger typist who like everyone and his dog in Highbury (probably in London) at the moment is “Flued” up to the max. I’m sitting at my desk typing this with watery eyes in between coughing my guts up and sneezing like a piston. The central heating is on, I’m fully clothed and I’ve got a quilt rapped round me shivering like a bastard. I took myself out of my sick bed to watch the game in the Crusoe (can’t sit in doors to watch a match) and probably infected everyone in the pub with my first sneeze (apologies all), so although you are a top priority K you’ll have to bloody well wait in line. :-) Health wealth and a small amount of happiness (family) comes first I’m afraid.

309. richie says:

@Mikey@8:50 No problema Gooner everyone’s upset! It’s the hope in us all that gets dashed by a poor showing like today that makes everyone on edge. I know you don’t belong on LG but I just want everyone to take a breath (I’m fighting for a breath flu-ed up like I am) and put yesterdays result in some kind of perspective.

Arsene took over in 96 and since then (including yesterday) we’ve played the Manuer 45 times in all competitions.
    11 were drawn
    12 were won
    22 were lost
    Since 96 we’ve won 3 titles – Manu’er have won 9
    We’ve won 4 FA cups – Manu’er only 2
    But in that time Manu’er won 2 CL’s
    My point is in the Prem era Manu’er have obviously been far more successful than us.
    A further point should however be made in 02 Manu’er bought Rio Ferdinand from Leeds for a price that reached £34Mil including agents fee’s and add on clauses. That single amount just about covered ever player Arsene Wenger purchased in the 6 years he’d been our manager from 96 until 02. By that time we’d won 2 doubles. Again its just perspectives.

310. richie says:

As everyone will know already I’m with Slim Ginger @9:10 I’m not at all happy losing especially not with the manner of it, but I really believe the balance of our team is better than it was, and I also have great belief in this teams room to improve. I think improvements will come and then we will be in a far better position to make future pronouncements about how far this team can go.
    My glass may be filthy dirty but it’s still half full.

311. richie says:

Furthermore like GIE says @4:19 fast forward some of the kids because competition may give some of the established players a much needed kick up the Arse. Also I’d like baldie Boldie to do a lot more work with our defence because there has to be some serious questions asked when Evra’s allowed to score like he did! Come on Stevie B earn your wages tighten things up!

Heck Richie, you are ill. You should have done what Kelsey did and drank nine pints, went to a disco, got a Kebab and threw up. Look, even he is still asleep :-)

General comment.
    My reaction yesterday was not gut, and I have aired concerns over tactics and motivation many times over tha past season or two.
    I do not look to pass blame or find scapegoats in refs or even money, as these things are already factored in to my thinking.
    I do not expect us to compete with massively advantaged teams (financially speaking) in terms of trophies, and I do think 4th is a trophy (there goes my Legrove credentials) :-)
    I 100% think it is time for a new manager, but when is the massive question. As I said, this is not gut, it does not involve hysterical or abusive thoughts or language , and I have the utmost pespect for the man.

Oh no I am not.

Not much I can add after yesterday.
    richie you got man flu, if only you knew my problems :) makes yours like a drop in the ocean.

I will say this though.

Nearly every report I have read and heard all pinpoint the same things not that it could be proved that it would change our overall performance.

Wht did ramsey start instead of Theo
    Why didn’t AW take Jack off as SAF did with Cleverley
    Santos to put it bluntly isn’t a LB in the true sense of the word.
    Why did we fall out of the traps,yet again
    This fixture doesn’t have the intensity it used to have.
    More and more people are questioning Wenger for a number of reasons and the momentum is building fast.

————————————————————————————-
    SAF was right the score didn’t really reflect their dominance yet if we had pressed them they looked vunerable in defence

Minor details like santos wanting to swop shirts at half time and refering decisions only mask over the real proble,

I don’t mind us losing but overall we were flat as a pancake and you can blame whoever you want, that is not acceptable.

Did any of you really enjoy that performance ?

You’re a hard and ruthless man, Kelsey.
    You left Chas in the clink didn’t you!

316. Gooner In Exile says:

Kelsey in truth I feel sorry for Wenger each year he is asked to work harder by the board, each year he somehow manages to perform miracles, but this season seems like it might be one step too far.

I don’t think playing Theo would have made the slightest piece of difference, United would just setup differently, and he had 120 minutes in his legs from Tuesday night.

Everton are allegedly a cash strapped club surely we could’ve got Fellaini, I liked him last year and now he is really finding his feet, he will be at OT next season, I’m surprised he is not already there.

BFG was our only defender that performed yesterday. Van Persie knew the weakest link (the one with the armband) and played on his shoulder all afternoon.

But really the thing that pisses me off most is watching senior professionals go out with terrible attitude, the wages they take should be incentive enough.

GIE

Also rooney man marked arteta the whole game.

Your last paragraph summs up what many are thinking.

318. evonne says:

watching Wigan on MotD, blimey, they are good! Great football

GiE,
    Very true.
    Trophyless, we can accept. Tactics, well at least it is debatable. Ditto business models.
    A stinking attitude is completely unacceptable.

320. slimgingergooner says:

Anyone ‘expecting’ a result will have been disappointed, but it’s more fool them for having such lofty expectations.

There is no shame in losing 2-1 at OT, espescially after going down to 10 men and not playing well. This is a team, after all, that beat Chelsea on their own patch last week. It is also a United team playing well, whereas our recent results and performances have been poor.

Does anyone think that it would’ve been the same game 3 weeks ago when we were playing well? Would it buggery! But that’s the way sport goes sometimes.

Sport is never A vs B

It’s more like A – (xyz)/C-d vs B -(xyz)/C-d

With xyz being injured players, C being confidence, d being decisions made in the game.

As for tactics, or lack thereof, it all went out of the window when Vermaelen thought RvP still played for us and passed him the ball on the edge of our box! The only way we had a chance of getting a result was to play on the counter like at Liverpool and City, but that early goal meant United could sit in, block off avenues to our front 3 and Cazorla, and hit us on the counter. Overall, something they did very well.

I know that Arsenal fans are sick of hearing it, but once again, we have a team in transition. I couldn’t count the amounts of ins and outs we’ve had at the club in the last 18 months, it’s ridiculous! These things take time to gel and be moulded, but things will improve.

321. evonne says:

I will settle all London’s bets if Fellaini stays with Everton for another season

322. evonne says:

there were a few better games played yesterday than the Arsenal game; the ‘lesser’ teams seem to be trying much harder than the obvious suspects, including our mob

slim,

SAF was at oor game against QPR. he lkke so many managers now know how to nullify our game.
    Yes we are in transition but how long is that acceptable and also maintain the standing of a top club in the PL

I don’t care how many shirts we sell in Asia, kroenke is employng people who aren’t real fotball men and Wenger has no chance losing good players on a now regular basis only to strengthen the opposition.

it is a delicate balace with the funds available but regardless of cost the players should be fighting for their place and I have said it many times, we just don’t have squad depth acceptable to a club like Arsenal.
    We have no devine right to win anything but the motivation seems to be wilting from where I sit.
    My concern is that giroud and podolski will hopefully add to the attack but if we don’t improve quickly this season will be over.
    only 2 years ago we were actually still fighting on 4 fronts in march.

324. slimgingergooner says:

Kelsey,

We aren’t that team anymore! You just admitted that we don’t have the squad depth to compete, but we still have the 4th strongest squad in the league. Who’s to blame for that, I don’t know? Personally, I blame the people that have taken over at City and Chelsea, but that’s because I believe our club has done the best it possibly can given the resources available and the direction it wants to go in. Whilst these teams are pushing each other to get to the 100m finish line, we are jogging along in 4th running a marathon.

It’s obvious that we are going to be weaker than these clubs if we are building for the future. You only have to look at United spending £24m on a 29 year old to see they are very much living for the present.

Personally, I’m happy to finish 4th because I believe we are building a club capable of competing in the future. I understand if others have lost patience and want changes now, but I can only see 1 change that would propel the club back to challenging, and that’s someone with money. I don’t want that for this club.

325. evonne says:

Slim – so what happens if/when another club is bought by a filthy rich dude? We have a ready made excuse to drop to 5th?
    I don’t think Wigan or Everton have more money available than us, yet they played better than us yesterday.

Evonne,
    If that Dude comes along to Newcastle, Pool, Spuds or anyone else, yes we do have a legitimate excuse for coming 5th, what we do not have is an excuse for being out-efforted by Utd, Wigan or anyone else.

327. slimgingergooner says:

Morning Evonne,

I don’t honestly see why or how that would happen given that the FFP is due to come into play, but even if it did, it takes a good 2 years to put a decent squad together. The other point is that even though we have 4th strongest squad, that doesn’t mean we are miles off these teams.

We drew with City away and dominated Chelsea at home when playing well. As regards the other teams, we all know that anyone can beat anyone on their day in this league, which is precisely why we shouldn’t go mental when we lose at Old Trafford!

Morning All

SGG. Whilst applauding your positivity and agreeing with much of it, you surely accept Arsenal have problems. We do not have the possibility of buying our way out of trouble (Downing €20m!) but we can work harder on tactics and the way the players work during the game.

AW is superb at monitoring a players physical condition through a game. He knows about working in 30 second bursts – it was him who told TH that he could sprint 70 mtrs 11 times a game and to conserve his strength (may have been 9 – I can’t remember). So why not do as Oz suggests – go back to the pressing game.

A worrying factor is the loss of form of Podolski. I really thought he was a BMW – maintenance free, efficient and consistent. He isn’t. Is it that AW is using him in the wrong position? Is AW asking him to defend too deep? If Pod is even slightly injured what the hell is he doing playing twice a week – we have Arshavin sitting on the bench.

Slim,
    I really don’t think anyone has a problem with losing at Old Trafford. I also don’t think you would find many to argue with your assesment of our squad being the 4th strongest.
    Do you think the team put in 100% effort yesterday?

331. evonne says:

Slim – I sincerely hope you are right,it is all plausible, but does not translate to our lack of passion resulting in losing game after game. The team is perfectly capable of both passion and figthing spirit, as demonstrated against QPR, but chose not to give their best on regular basis. That is plain wrong and fans are right in being disappointed

Raddy,
    AW has said that nowadays your left winger has more defensive duties, so it is hardly surprising that someone who scored so prolifically in Germany, and someone bought at least in part to make up for the loss of goals as a result of the sale of RvP, is proving disappointing.

Ok, that’s me done for the day.
    Bye one and all.

Micky. Does that make AW right? Don’t see Ronaldo tackling back. I know he is exceptional but to use Podolski as an auxiliary MF is a waste of his finishing talents.

As to 100% effort. If and it is a huge if, they didn’t all give 100% why would that be?

335. Micky,

Until someone shows me a fact saying otherwise then i would say yes. We were just outplayed. Man U did a great job of stopping us playing through midfield thus forcing us back to the keeper and then long to Giroud. We were ineffective as a forward unit and have been for a few games this season.

BR,

Our pressing game seems to wane about 5 games into the season, and has done for the last 5 years! Why this is i do not know, but i would quite happily see us go back to this.
    As regards Pod, people have been saying that he has been carrying a knock, which may explain his lack of form. However, i also believe he is being asked to defend too deep which is one of the reasons we are not creating chances. With Ramsey dropping deep on the other side, we are basically playing 1 up front.

336. Red Arse says:

Morning Guys, :-)

I think we should take a deep breath and treat this premiership FFP notion with just a touch of salt.

It is bound to be a measure to try and stop the players and their agents from asking for and receiving an even bigger slice of the pie when the new £3bn Sky Premiership Contract kicks in next year.

The extra money could make even more Premiership clubs secure, which is no bad thing, unless the aforementioned leaches siphon it off in wages!

Not that I want to cast doubt on this mini FFP idea, if it is agreed, but if the ‘big’ oily clubs wanted to stop the players contract negotiations becoming more obscene year on year they can just say no! Now!

No need for a Premiership concordat – the ‘little’ clubs don’t pay huge salaries — it’s down to the ‘big’ guys – a little self interest in there from the owners?

337. We cant just go from possible challengers to mid table mediocrity in 3 weeks. The middle ground is probably more realistic. In the same way Podolski hasn’t gone from BMW to Lada in 3 weeks, i imagine his knock has something to do with it.

The International break has had a massive detremental effect on this team, as has the collection of injuries to Gibbs, Gerv and Diaby at the wrong time. Why this has effected us more than other teams i do not know.

338. glic says:

Morning
    Richie, sorry that Swiss Rambler thingy is too long and I need an accountant to explain it to me, have we any on here ? hahaha
    It was only a few weeks ago that someone ( cant remember who ? ) was saying this Arsenal squad was better than “The Invincibles” !.
    Ohh and the amount of times people say Manu aren`t that good !.
    Wish we weren`t as good as them…….what am I saying……we aint !. hahaha

SGG. The Interlull hasn’t done Spurs much good :-D

glic. BR said that the SQUAD was better not the first team. He still believes so.

The Invincibles were unbelievably fortunate with injuries and didn’t have to rely on squad members. BR does not agree with kelsey’s assertion that the squad lacks depth

SGG. As I said if Pod has a knock why not play Arshavin?

341. Gooner In Exile says:

A positive before my dreary match report goes up.

We have played 5 games the same as City (ie Liverpool away, Stoke away etc).

We have 13 points from those games that have been played the same, City have 9.

Podolski certainly wasn’t bought to cover for our LB in this case santos. in fact santos was far more forward than podolski several times.
    Some will quite rightly say gibbs would take the LB spot as his own but he again is so injury prone. So to say we have the fourth strongest squad is open to debate. We have two useless keeper, one in mannone who is trying his best but isn’t the quality needed. diaby and rosicky as i have said many times are more injured than they actually play.Chamakh,park and squillacci are all recent bad buys and just whenWalcott is starting to show promise it appears negotiations are at a halt.Arshavin appeared to be off but he is still here yet again another cameo performer. how many players can we expect to perform well on a regular basis if they get the odd 15/20 minutes every few weeks. that’s not rotation.

add to that unfortunately vermaelen is going though a bad time form wise and Kos our most improved defender last season isn’t even playing.

RA. We have to believe in FFP. The current economic madness is ruining our game.

GIE. Thanks …. needed that ray of sunshine

morning glic
    it’s quite simple, we will remain a selling club for the next two years and if we fail to make top4 this season it will affect the club financially in a big way FPP or not.

346. Slim
    the mancs only beat the chavs because of clattenburke. Without the officials they wouldn’t have done. they are a mediocre manc team.

Ok with me that you disagree BR i would just say “get on your bike” :)

And I would say “get your hair cut …. “

When NEW POST comes up, just copy and paste the last 200 hundred comments then we can all have a day off

Ah but women like something to hold on to BR, though . GLIC might put it in a slightly different way :)

New Post ………………….

352. glic says:

Sorry Raddy, I should have said , someone said our squad was better !. Mind you, that says to me that you have bigger rose tints than Terry !. hahaha

353. richie says:

@Slim8:33 Man-Flu is what Kelsey says I’ve got? Well this bloody man flu kept me up most of the night as evidenced by the time of my posts. Even the “honey,lemon,ginger&overproof” my wife (feeling sorry for me) kindly mixed didn’t do much to help, but I’ve just read your post and I’m feeling better already! Its what I said earlier perspectives, and my perspective is that considering the amount of dosh that’s awash in the “Manu’erChavskiOilymoneyCitehmix” we still have a bloody magician managing our club who (thus far) come May manages to pull not only a Rabbit out of the hat but a Phoenix too.

Lets get something straight in case someone missed it; We the Arse are now a selling club! We have to be to stay firmly in the black. Is that clear to all? Next up we the Arse have to sell before (or very close to the time) we are gonna buy so that we don’t run at a loss. OK so far? Good! Finally we don’t have a Sugar Daddy owner who’ll spend his ill gotten gains on our team, all clear so far? Fantastic! Let’s move on.
    If someone wants to give us the name of a manager that they think would be able to out perform our current one, considering the tightrope he’s on, I would love to shoot the breeze with all those on AA a discuss his merits.

Meanwhile I say this to everyone SAF is the prems top man! Put him in the job at the Arse and tell him 1) you can’t pay mega bucks buying who you want, 2) you can’t pay big wages to who you bring in 3) if you manage to uncover a rough stone and polish it until it’s a diamond you’ll have to sell him to the Chav’s or Oily Money when he’s the finished article so we as a club don’t run up a debt. Any one of you out there thinks he’d do a better job under those conditions? Oh and by the way, when SAF asks why all the restrictions? You say well that’s how the owner what’s his club run. Next up does anyone of you think that Arsene couldn’t have done exactly what Mancini did if he’d had his resources?