Into Silicon Valley in search of Silverware

My expectations for tonight are not great. Away to PL opposition is always difficult with a reserve side, but on the other hand these are the type of games when we really see how our lads perform under pressure.

Will Reading prioritise the League Cup (or whatever it is called this season)?  Their next two PL games are QPR away and Norwich at home, both games against direct relegation rivals which will surely have an effect upon McDermott’s selections.

Reading’s last game was an exciting 3-3 draw with Fulham, scoring in the final minute through Robson-Kanu who had trials at Arsenal (no relation to the great man). The manager, Brian Mcdermott was of course a Gooner – probably still is. In ’84/5 he played 45 games under Don Howe. Sadly, George Graham didn’t appreciate his talents and he fell from grace, but he was at AFC for 7 years. McDermott recently called Arsenal Football Club “world class” which shows he is a keen and astute football man.

Another ex-Gunner is Stuart Taylor who also had 7 years at Highbury winning a league title, FA Cup and two League Cup medals – almost all from the bench (like Nasri). He may play tonight. Pogrebyak is a Russia regular and a friend of Arshavin, should he play, he will be a handful for our  CB’s.

Will Mr Wenger play any of the players returning from injury? If Gibbs is approaching fitness I would give him 45 mins to sharpen up ahead of MU. With Szczesny approaching a return it may be a last hurrah for Mannone but can AW take the risk of an injury? Of course not so Martinez will get another chance to show us why he is considered so promising.

My Team:

As you can tell I have little idea of the team. Mr Wenger has to make decisions about whether to risk any first team players in what will be a feisty game, though the above team appears too defensive and there is no real left back,

Chamakh needs to start if he is to find a club in January (assuming he hasn’t already done so). Either that or Walcott could be given his chance as central striker. Who would you pick?

Today’s top man:  Sir George Everest  (1790- 1866) . An explorer and surveyor who spent much of his life in India. Surveying was extremely important in those days  because people had no maps and no real idea of the correlation between places, and without maps people didn’t know where there were. Imagine how grateful the natives must have been when they could say “I live 42 miles North West of  Faizabad”. Couldn’t have been done without surveying and the British surveyed the world. Knighted in 1861 there is a mountain named after him.

Sir Everest in his Sunday suit

Tough game tonight but one we can win. We are sure to be solid in defence with Martinez given a chance to shine. As Reading are scoring freely and porous in defence we should see an attacking game.

It’s a Cup, we need silverware.

Written by Big Raddy

398 Responses to Into Silicon Valley in search of Silverware

1. Arsenal Hater says:

McDermott is not “still is” a gooner. The arrogance of you Arsenals is staggering, but nothing new there.

AH. It says “probably”.

With that twat’s comment in mind and a much needed night’s sleep, I am more confident.

We will win tonight

3. VCC says:

BR. ….I like your line up, that’s what I would do tonight considering the journey to Old Toilet this week end and the knowledge that the Mancs have a feisty affair due up tomorrow.

Rest most, if not all our regular first team.

Nice post Sir.

4. Firstly a quick hello and hope you are safe to all our Eastern US bloggers.

5. I love a Raddy prematch and this one is no different. One assumes Reading will take this game as importantly as we will, which is to say they will also field some youngsters/reserves.

But here is the rub (possibly) a reserve player at Reading has eyes on impressing for a first team place, how many of our youngsters/reserves believe that a good performance tonight will push them up in the reckoning, do they see it as a challenge or an insult to be fielded tonight?

No idea on how to predict the line up but am looking forward to an exhibition of some youngsters.

I really think as fans we need to get away from the idea that the best talent is outside the club, we can create something great if we allow a squad to develop from within the academy. Also it’ll be a team/squad that is a lot easier to support.

6. VCC says:

Nice one GIE……I know a few people in and around the New York area and I feel for them at this moment in time. I have tried to contact them but to no avail.

My thoughts go out to all eastern America.

Thanks for the pre-match, BR.

I’ve seen McDermott interviewed and wondered if it was the same fresh-faced young lad that played for us. It’s a shame what such a hard life can do.

“you Arsenals” made me laugh.
    I’ve never thought of myself as an Arsenal. :)

8. VCC says:

GIE……put yourself in the youngsters/reserves boots…….would you go out tonight and not try? Or would you go and perform and show Mr. wenger what you are capable of?

I certainly know what I would do.

After yesterday’s fish theme, perhaps we ought to have a bird-related day today.

Anyone like tits?

Good thought GiE.
    Makes me think of our Johnnie from NYC.
    Thanks for another superb pre-match Raddy.
    I cannot begin to guess the line up, but very excited to see whichever of the Young Guns get selected.
    Big fan of your Victorian Explorers theme. They were very interesting times, as given that most were sponsored by The Royal Geographical Society, the era coincided with the new science of Anthropology, which saw the tribes and natives viewed in a new context on the back of Darwinism.

Apologies for my levity.
    My thoughts go out to those on the East coast of the USA and Canada.
    Also to all those who have lost their lives in the Caribbean, especially Haiti where homes, livelihoods and families have been torn apart.

12. Brigham says:

Chas, I think the bird theme was started with the very first posted reply – A great tit!

13. evonne says:

Raddy – me too, very low expectations for tonight, but I don’t care. It has been said that Arsenal need a trophy, no matter how small to reinstate the winning mentality in the squad. I am sure there is substance to this school of thought, but personally I’d rather we concentrated on 3 other competitions

jnyc, Rocky, GN5 – let us know if you are ok xx

Well researched as always Raddy.

I heard a whisper that our number one might be in goal.

When I look at McDermott he reminds me of Matt Lucas.

I remember vaguely we met Reading at the same stage of this competition at Highbury and it went to penalties,quite a high score something like 8-7 to us.

I am not too bothered about tonight only just to see how our youngsters perform . i think with reading you get an open game so at least that should be good.

When did we last play two consecutive games against teams in blue hoops :) (another useless stat )

15. evonne says:

Brigham :) Also, your earlier comment about Chavs hit home with me. Hate them more than any other PL team. They started the trend to buy trophies

16. VCC says:

Chas….10:18. Yes, love them.

17. VCC I indeed would go out and show Mr Wenger what he is missing, my question is whether the players feel it is worth it as they know it will make no difference to get into the managers reckoning for the next squad?

I think for the youngsters they do give it their all, am not so sure for the senior players who have been dropped to the League Cup team.

18. VCC says:

GIE….slightly disagree there. Being a sub and coming on late (wenger style) I can understand lack of effort, but if I were to start in a lower cup competition I would show the boss what he was missing. That’s why I would play mostly fringe players tonight. I think they would surprise a lot of people, except Chamhk of course.

We’ll win cus wer’e Arsenal

Repeat ad nauseam.

Thanks for the pre-match BR always appreciated.

Should we send food parcels to the Colonials?

20. nice post BR
    Can’t see many first teamers risked in this one so my team as follows
    mannone
    jenks
    djourou
    koz
    miquel
    coq in Artetas role
    eisfield in Jacks role
    arshavin in the santi role
    ox LSFW
    walcott CF
    gnabry RSFW

From arsenal.com:

In the next week, Arsenal have massive – and by that I mean season-shaping – games at Manchester United and Schalke but the Frenchman will field pretty much everyone who did not start against QPR at the weekend (plus Olivier Giroud who did). Messers Walcott, Arshavin, Koscielny, Djourou, Coquelin, Frimpong and Jenkinson are expected to begin the game. But for injury, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain would have done too. As for the youngsters, Masters Gnabry, Eisfield, Miquel, Yennaris and Bellerin will be involved.

Walcott as CF would be a laugh, we could all see exactly how good he would be in that role.

I bet Wenger doesn’t do it though, he will leave it as bait for some other egotist to think he could get the best out of Theo playing him through the middle.

I am in no doubt Theo’s best position is right wing, I think the Theo through the centre thing is a red herring created in the name of contract negotiations.. As others have said, neither Messi or Ronaldo play centrally and TH14 was primarily on the left. Theo may have a beef if he is told ‘you must never cut in’, but I doubt that is the case and he regularly cuts in to score his goals.

On the other hand, trying him in the centre again for a game like tonight is an option. If we have Eisfeld and Gnabri pulling the strings in midfield, the interchange with Theo could be very exciting.

24. VCC says:

Rasp 11:58. ….we need to kidnap Wenger and put you in the hot seat.

We should give it a go tonight, play fringe/youngsters. Nothing to lose.

COYG

25. Good on you Big John. I notice the first comment was made by an Arsenal Hater. He loves us really. Reading should not be much of a stumbling block in our attempt to winning the League Cup. I actually have a soft spot for that town, so if they win it will be of some comfort to me (and Evonne who it seems doesn’t like little trophies) That is a joke.O.K.?
    Raddy, you are third in my list of all time favorite Arsenal strikers after Wrighty and Henry. The Radford -Kennedy partnership won us our first double.
    So tell me… What mountain did this Sir George have named after him? Was it Mt. Kosciuscko?

Hi VCC, I would certainly start with all the youngsters – Martinez, Miquel, Yennaris, Gnabry, Eisfeld, Coquelin, Frimpong and Jenks and the other 3 places can be more senior players. These young guys play with fluidity and without fear, I’d love to see it.

I must say that even with walcott’s contract situation unresolved, and even if Rasp is right about him basically being a goner, I would actually rest Walcott tonight. Normally it would be a good chance to try him out tonight but I would rather see him in the starting 11 on Saturday. We need more cut and thrust to us for Saturday and OT is not a place to mess around and not play your strongest line up. For me not starting him Saturday will again smack of keeping him on the bench to punish him for not having signed a new contract. It will be more a case of cutting off our nose to spite our face and, IMO, AW should just relent a little and start with Theo on saturday. My feeling on his importance for saturday is why I would not play him tonight, but some of you may disagree.

Hi GoonerB, I agree. If Theo is leaving we should at least get the best value we can from him for the rest of his time. I too don’t want to see Ramsey right midfield against manu, start with Walcott and keep them pinned back from the start if we can.

29. GoonerB
    Wenger don’t like to play ppl who are in the departure lounge, hence i don’t see him being started Saturday even if we all can see that he offers much more than a right side Rambo.
    I’d love to see him given the central role tonight, and hopefully raise some questions (But i bet its Cham)

30. VCC says:

Rasp….spot on, start with those eight together with Arshavin,Djourou,Kos,

The punt at Cham in the middle makes a great deal of sense but if that is the intention how does Giroud fit in. I mean, it has got to be Wenger’s intention to play him or why not simply leave him out like the rest of the first team starters on Saturday.

32. Tonight’s game is of minimal significance to me. Saturday’s match is the one on which all concentration should be placed. Purple noses will need to be darkened. Referees confounded. Boots will need to be kicked in the home dressing room at full time.Robins will have to be silenced for 90+ minutes. In other words, we need to flush the myth of the Old Toilet away leaving them in worrying thoughts of bankruptcy. Buying the BSR must be a firework to explode in their faces. Those lot oop there need a football lesson. Totteringham did to them lesson one, lesson two should be more comprehensive. A 0-2 scoreline should be enough to help them forget Munich and shut up. These purple nosed, wine drinking racehorse owners need to retire. At their age, they owe some time to their wives, gardens and other past-times. I am sick of Mr.Sir Alex Fergie. Go away old man. You successful ref influencing .. er..man.U :-).

Splendid as always BR

Quite a wild and windy night here in Toronto, but we only got the the edge of the storm. Hope the NY chaps are OK.

Nevertheless – LB, yes please! I’ll have a food parcel: stilton, plovers’ eggs, chutney, Bath Olivers and miniature pickled onions will do for starters :)

Tonight’s game?

I doubt I’ll get to see it but I hope we win. I would take a League Cup trophy to get that Gareth Bale off our backs.

We definitely ought to save Theo for the weekend. He will be trying his damndest to put on a good show so he gets as lucrative a deal as possible from his new employers in the summer (ManUre).

Chas
    Nice tit.
    Did you take it?

Chas
    To keep BR happy, you might need to upload a pic of a Bearded Tit (your one was either a Blue or Great) :)

Tony, spot on.
    I do wish Raddy would put us out of our misery over the name of that mountain. I been stewing over it all day.

Duh… Micky – are you fick or something?

The clue’s in his NAME!

It’s Mount George.

39. richie says:

@Kelsey from last blog; Yes its true Chelsea have been more successful that us recently but your right we are poles apart because I don’t think its got much to do with the age of the squad, I have this sneaky feeling its got something to do with a certain Russian and his billions. It may surprise you but we can’t compete in the tranfer market with Chavski’s money. We offered Valencia an amount for one of their (young) players, they accepted, personal terms were agreed. All that was left was the Emirates signing. The Russians found out and threw a large spanner into the heart of the Mata. Players don’t want to leave the Chav’s why would they? They pay them at least double what we can afford. Besides they’ve outed or are outing their old guard and they’ve been replaced with youngsters surprise surprise.

40. richie says:

@Jamie from last blog; RvP was/is worth £200k a week? If thats the case then how much should the rest of the squad be getting? Can we have some common sense thown in? We as a club can’t afford those types of wages without going into debt. We are breaking even and even making a small profit only because we are selling players at £20Mil a pop. Reality needs facing!

41. Hi all, would anyone like to offer to write a match report for tonight’s game or failing that maybe some player ratings?

richie. Love your gravatar.

Tony C. Raddy was The Man when I started attending on my own. Still upset that Kennedy left for L’pool. Splitter.

If I were AW, I would give Wacott 60 mins in the centre and then sub him. He needs pitch time ahead of his starring super-sub role at OT.

43. richie says:

As for tonight I’m looking forward to seeing our kids tearing into Reading. As can be seen from my last 2 posts I’d like to see a time when 80% of our squad was home grown. Even if not fully home grown, then those who come to us at a young age like Theo and the Ox. I’d love to see our academy expanded massively but we face restrictions imposed by our governments compared to say Ajax or Barca. If our scouts uncovered the next Messi we probably couldn’t get him a visa.

richie. I cannot speak for you but I know there are those on here who, like me, have a streak of the F*ckit’s. You know – it is that time when you are in a shop and you have budgeted on €100 for a jacket , there are plenty in your price range but the one you really want is €175. You weigh up the options knowing the extra €75 could and should be spent elsewhere; that is when the F*ckits come in. You walk out with the more expensive item.

Just for once I want Mr Wenger and his board to take a risk, to gamble a little.

richie. We could always give the kid a “Silvinho” passport.

46. richie says:

Thanks BR a big dog in red & white suits me. My wife’s always calling me a dog or is that a slob? Well one or the other :) :)

47. Brigham says:

Lets face it, we will never compete with the Chavs on a purely monetary basis as long as they have their sugar daddy at the club. I am also in the group who feel that the FFP will have little or no bearing on their spending either, as they will find a way around it as will the other big spenders; Barca, Real Madrid and City.

48. richie says:

I know where your coming from with the idea but the problem isn’t a one time splash the cash which we all do. Its the wages and then its the wages the rest will want when they know what the splash the cash is getting. Thats what we wouldn’t be able to afford.

49. richie says:

@Brigham I agree how far are they gonna go to police the FFP?

Rocky,
    Mount George…jeepers, I’m just not the full ticket anymore!
    Raddy,
    Definately agree that Theo has a role to play at OT. Away, and with a team that will definately leave space at the back. His perfect arena.

51. richie says:

@BR we got burnt with the Silvinho passport and warned about future conduct that won’t wash again.

Exactly @ 3.08

It didn’t stop us trying the fake passport trick again with Edu.

You chaps are SO sensible but I guess that is why LB has a house and richie a boat :-)

House but no clothes or furniture.

Sorry, if I cannot engage in grown up conversation, I should clear off.
    I am actually very busy and just being nosey.
    Coat.

57. richie says:

@Evonne 10:57 no the Chav’s weren’t the start of that in the prem Blackburn were. Jack Walker bought them a team and a manager to win the title, but he couldn’t have afforded to do anything like Abromovich.

58. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Mt Everist Raddy!

Big R, Top pre match, i hope we play fluid football, and work on our combinations. I have an ikling Wenger will play alot more of our regular starting 11 then we might think or hope for..

Cant wait for the game, i actually caved in and forked out 33 bucks to get Setanta to watch our boys… COYRRG

59. richie says:

@BR A boat with no mooring as of.

60. evonne says:

I have just received from Auschwitz Museum’s archives photos of my grandfather. I have never seen those before,they made me cry :(

not sure why I am telling You this, sorry if that’s not appropriate

61. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

*Everest

62. richie says:

@LB 11:38 No not food parcels send them a load of tea, that way they can have another party.

63. This made me chuckle

Mb ‏@1burnm
    If Chamakh doesnt play tonight then maybe its time for the club to admit that they havent got a clue where he is.

Richie

Where in the Med are you?

I wish I could find some words that might help Evonne.

evonne
    That’s sad. Did he survive?

evonne,

I had a similar experience.

My dad didn’t find out until 9 years after the war ended where his parents had been gassed. Never to be forgotten.

People used to place adverts in the british press after the war asking if anyone knew the whereabouts of their relations. that’s how my dad found out.

The player I really want to see is Eisfeld. A FranEnGerSpain team is the way forward

69. evonne says:

Thanks guys, yes Rocky, he survived. Grandma sold a house and bribed one of the guards. He went back home dressed as a monk. He was in a terrible state, bag of bones and lice.

He was arrested and sent to Auschwitz because he looked Jewish.

Evonne
    Wow, what a story.

71. evonne says:

It gets worse Rocky, he was shot dead by the russians at the end of the war, aged 34

Kelsey, tragic. And all these years people are discriminated against because of how they look

72. evonne says:

Raddy – the player I really want to see is one that puts the ball in the net, more than once preferably :)

Sad sad sad.

The Poles were cursed by their geography: the Nazis on one side, the Soviets on the other.

Coincidently, I am reading a book about the German advance into Russia,

evonne. Can I recommend In the Company of Angels by Thomas Kennedy? Harrowing but excellent

75. evonne says:

Raddy – your recommendations are spot on, I love every book you recommended, even paid for them :) Than you xx

Rocky – and self-rightous arrogant Poles in the middle :) We playd our part in every conflict.

76. glic says:

Nice one Raddy
    I`m the same as chas, I love these stress free games. I have a gut feeling that Gnabry is going to be another little gem !.

77. VCC says:

Anyone know the line up yet?

BR
    I just read a novel about the siege of Leningrad (recommended by TA). “The Siege” by Helen Dunsmore. Good book looking at the events through one family’s experience.

No team news?
    Hasn’t Arsene read BR’s prematch yet?

80. VCC says:

Rocky, will you be able to watch it?

Sadly no, VCC. Too busy at work (and not sure it’s even on TV over here).

I’ve just realised that with your clocks having gone back, it’s not due to kick off for a while yet…

83. richie says:

@LB4:32 I’m at my home in Highbury now but when I benefit from more sun I’m in Malaga Prov.

Ooh thanks for that recomendation Rocky that is right up my straße.

That will be Highbury on Sea then Richie.

Right time to watch the game.

86. richie says:

Where’s RL then? Who doesn’t know time in England All these far flung Gooners.

87. johnnie nyc says:

thanks for the kind thoughts, Micky, Evonne…..
    im fine..mostly just alot of people without power–although sadly a few tragedies..

88. Arsenal team:

Martinez, Jenkinson, Koscielny, Djourou, Miquel, Arshavin, Frimpong, Coquelin, Walcott, Chamakh, Gnabry. Subs: Shea, Giroud, Squillaci, Bellerin, Eisfeld, Meade, Yennaris.

89. ….. match report anyone? ……

90. SharkeySuresGhost says:

Strong team…lets hope they gel

91. SharkeySuresGhost says:

Best wishes from me too JNYC….

10/11. No Eisfeld. Shame

93. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Good to see Pong start. Hes been lost in the shadows…

Come on boys, make us proud.

94. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

I bow to our away support.

Class.

10/11 for this game is an outstanding result BR – well done :)

Another dreadful co-commentator. Where do they find them?

97. johnnie nyc says:

thanks sharkey, havent chatted with you here in a while..good to see you

98. Young three in midfield need to get hold of the ball, midfield is key to 4-3-3

99. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

This is bullshit..

Kos that was a fine finish. This is not a good start.

101. oh dear…track runners track runners track runners!!!

102. thats two down to the Martinez for me.

103. SharkeySuresGhost says:

That was awful from Martinez…..

Coq and Frimmers need to get a grip of this game.

Just as I write that 3-0. My first comment was about the 2nd goal !!

104. evonne says:

good night all

105. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Now is the time that Wenger should stuff around with formations and push Theo up.. Either score 4 and win or recieve 6.. Gung ho i say

Goodnight everyone

Do we have a midfield???

Do we have a goalkeeper.Goodnight again :)

109. SharkeySuresGhost says:

No we don’t Randy.

Ball retention has been non existent

Goodnight Kelsey I will tell you what happened.

Away support is brilliant as always

111. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Robotic, pre meditated, boring..

And playing Chamack only puts his transfer value down, people forget those flukey dayze at Bordeaux

112. SharkeySuresGhost says:

Away supporters….WOW !!!!

Poor Chas. In a box with Reading fans :-(

114. They’re getting warmed up for OT on Saturday Raddy :D

115. The best thing about going 3-0 down in twenty minutes is you have seventy to get 3 back

I dont normaly get angry watching the club play, but this has been nothing short of collectivly disgraceful. Are these guys no meant to be fighting for a shot at the first team? No movement of the ball, a lack of aggresion of it, and the mind set of ime too good for this.

Buch of overpaid. over pampered, egotistical wankers.

117. SharkeySuresGhost says:

How many times can someone as talented as Arshavin give the ball away like that

And ime ill with man flu and have to clutch my balls for comfort. At this rate by the end of the match i shall be gonadless.

There isn’t a single area of our play which is working. Neither wings, midfield, defence it is all poor.

120. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Im disgusted! Cant see us scoring even one

121. Time to embarass the senior players, take off Arshavin, take off Chamakh, take off Djourou

Bloody hell, poor Chas. I do hope the nibbles are good up there!

123. Just blowing my own trumpet:

Gooner In Exile says:
    October 30, 2012 at 11:15 am (Edit)

TMHT I have man flu as well. Thought this might cheer me up after two horrible days.

No bloody chance. Even a short arse like Hunt is allowed to score with his head.

Fairplay to Reading, their crossing has been excellent

Er… are we losing?

Reading have played very well Raddy. But this has been a collective disgrace. I dont care if its the tiddlywinks cup. The attitude stinks.

Thanks for the pre match by the way Raddy.

Go away Rocky. We are not playing tonight.

128. dandan says:

Just to put a positive spin on it, remember half this team will be sold in January. :-)

RL. No we are not losing – we are being embarrassed. 4-0 and we have just had our first shot on target

Away fans singing “we want our Arsenal back”. Things are not good when those lads turn :-(

I going off to find Hurricane Sandy instead.

Micky
    Not THAT song. Oh dear. That’s a Spudder song :(

Remember Newcastle…… and Switzerland. We can do it!!

134. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Nice finish.. if he plays off the shoulder of Giroo in a 4-4-2 Theo would be potent, no ifs or buts .. But it might effect the rest of our game, arrrgh, why wont Wenger experiment..

Lovely finish by Walcott.

136. It started off with “we want our money back” according to Henry Winter on twitter.

Peaches, Dear Peaches,
    Can you and the lads here have a little chat about that match report you’re after? :-)

That’s what Theo can do when he has room to run onto the ball centrally.

Get that complete waste of time Chamakh off the pitch, put Eisfeld in midfield and tell Arsh to play further forward.

PPP,
    “might effect the rest of our game!!!” ROLF

140. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Spot on Rasp.

141. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

What, no LAMOW?

Stick Koscielny up top. I’m convinced the boy has goals in him.

143. Reddawn says:

This game is so bad and on top of it all, I can’t even blame Ramsey. Now that is depressing.

PPP, I’ve been banging on for ages that Theo should stay on the half way line when we’re defending corners. I can’t remeber him ever heading a ball away from a corner, but on the half way line he’ll tie up at least 2 of their defenders and we’ve just seen what he can do from that position. We aren’t using our players to exploit their abilities.

145. SharkeySuresGhost says:

C’mon Rasp – bagging Chamakh again…in a game like this..??

Arshavin’s pass to Theo was the first he has completed. Theo has been non existent, Frimpong has absolutely jogged thru the whole game, our keeper is having an absolute mare.

146. SharkeySuresGhost says:

Agreed re Theo Rasp. Its one of the few occasions in a game when he will see the open grass that he needs

Sharkey, he’s a passenger. That shot he had was pathetic, he lacks power and aggression and can only play with his back to goal. He’s not the only weak link today but he’s supposed to be a striker and he brings nothing to the team.

Put Gnabry on the right for 15 mins before subbing him for Eisfeld.

Put TW jleft. Tell Chamakh to get closer to his CB.

Get TA some boots, Stevie Bould a kit, and take off JD & Miquel.

Eisfeld needs to play in the middle. He can put his foot on the ball and conduct play.

150. evonne says:

anything should happen to Mannone and Martinez is our first keeper

I feel sorry for Martinez, yes he’s having a mare but he’s not getting a lot of protection. We w ill get the ‘men against boys’ headlines again tomorrow no doubt. We are being outmuscled all over the pitch.

152. SharkeySuresGhost says:

No Rasp. I disagree. Tonight he has been willing and has done Ok with the little service.

Stupid on that last corner from hm though

153. Brigham says:

Kos is having a bit of a mare and looks off the pace tonight.

Chamakh, no words can describe my thoughts on him.

Fair enough SS, I’m happy to ATD :)

Eisfeld on for AA and Giroud on for Chamakh and we may have a chance.

155. Brigham says:

Clear penalty denied there. These officials are totally rubbish tonight.

Eben the officials are crap. A clear penalty to us

At keast we are showing more commitment now. If we lose 10-1 i can live with it, but the one thing i will never accept is lack of effort.

158. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

When Theo exploits space he is so exciting and he gets my arse of the chair more than Falcao. Id give Theo the shadow striker role, like a crumber, pouncing on any loose balls. When talking about the invisible 9, with support from players like Jack and Santi FEO would double his stats and Arsenals too

159. Bryan says:

What a joke this team has become, we are a total disgrace

160. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

And id hide Chamack in the gunnersauras suit.. We really should get insurance money on damaged goods like that

I predict Eisfeld on for Frimpong and Giroud for Chamakh

162. Bryan says:

Theo is the only bright spark & showed what an exceptional finisher he is but we have lost him & he will be gone in Jan.
    But stubborn Wenger knows better & prefers to play Gervinho, the worst finisher at the club as striker

163. Brigham says:

Frimpong off, Eisfeld on.
    Chamakh off, Giroud on 62 mins gone

Can’t believe Chamakh is still on the pitch. He has been awful

hahaha, close Rasp, but ime afraid Chamack will have to torment you a bit longer.

one out of two – shame the passenger is still on the pitch

Rasp/Brigham Half right

Chamakh stays on. Smart move Arsene

169. Brigham says:

Sorry Chamakh is still on

Grioud header from a corner, now 4-2

That’s how to take a corner and that’s how to dispatch a header

Micky. We said only PL goals ….. didn’t we ;-)

This is what more effort can do.

173. Listen to that noise from the away fans

Chamakh just managed to ruin an attacking move with one touch, we’d be better off with 10 men

175. SharkeySuresGhost says:

Completely disagree Bryan. You talk as though this is our first 11.

Then you claim Theo’s a world beater !!

176. Bryan says:

shame we didn’t turn up at the start isn’t it, come Arsenal if we can get another soon then the cats among the pigeons

177. Brigham says:

We should have kept Gnabry on and taken the passenger off, bad move Arsene.

178. Bryan says:

Sharkey this is a pretty strong team we have out, its not our 1st 11 but don’t kid yourself alot of them have been.
    No Theo is not a world beater but he is a decent finisher & we keep on playing Gervinho who I think is total crap & should never get inan Arsenal team

Eisfeld looks lively

180. SharkeySuresGhost says:

Leigertwood is getting a yellow that really should be his 2nd

What ever the score, this has been a good response. The first half was shameful because the effort was not there.

182. SharkeySuresGhost says:

Lets leave it there Bryan..you use ‘total crap’ to describe a pro footballer who plays for Arsenal and has five goals already this season.

I can see where this is going

I agree TMHT, losing 4:3 would not be a disgrace

184. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Let Giroo shoot, he has a mad shot

OG playing very well

186. Bryan says:

Lol Sharkey, I believe Chamach had even more goals for Arsenal once but we don’t hold him in high esteem do we, yeh I can see where this is going alright.
    The 2nd half response has been brilliant but again you have to question why we were not at it from the start

I know this is Reading, but surely Giroud has to start against man if he’s in this form

Beginning of last season Chamakh would have scored the header from that corner. The man is a shadow

189. Brigham says:

A much better showing in the second half and with a bit of luck we could have had at least another goal by now.

190. Bryan says:

I agree Rasp, I don’t think it helps Giroud being in & out of the team, he has got to be given a run starting each game, to gain some momentum

191. Brigham says:

Get in Kosser

He plays at the wrong end does Kos :-)

193. Bryan says:

if only that goal came at least 5 mins earlier, come on you gooners

kozzer is actually completely out of control to be honest, Roberts has skinned him countless times

195. Bryan says:

To be fair Roberts was the only player that used to out muscle Sol, he is strong & has good pace

196. Bryan says:

yesssssssssssssssss lol what a come back

197. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

GET IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN….

Can you believe it!!

Well I think we can appreciate what Theo brings to the team tonight.

Can someone tell Kelsey?

Fantastic turn around. From gutless to heros. what a game football is.

202. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

At least i didnt take the day off work for a 4-0 loss..

See kids, this is why you dont leave games early or carry bin bags around.. Eisfeld has been Arshavins spark plug..Hes gonna be special

203. SharkeySuresGhost says:

Woo hooooooooooo

Chamakh equaliser !!!

errrr no, Jenks equalised

205. Gooner In Exile says:

Tell Kelsey what?

Eisfeld and OG changed the game. We may still lose but we have shown some real guts

Superb second half. Without those Koscielny fouls and added time we would never have got the time to win it! ROLF LAMOW

208. you cant write this stuff!!! unless your doing the report tomorrow!!!

Thanks for volunteering SGG!!

“As Reading are scoring freely and porous in defence we should see an attacking game.” ……

211. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

We have never lost to Reading in the league or cup according to the commentator… Walcott saved the history books

212. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Miquel looks spent, cant track back as fast as usual

213. Bryan says:

I can’t sit down lol I’ve got to watch this standing up

214. Micky i was actually McDermott subbing Roberts that added a good 45 seconds to that injury time plus the Reading fan holding on the ball a little too long when the clock was on 94

215. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

If we get through this than the MoM goes to our 12th man… Our away support!!

216. Brigham says:

Another great ball from Walcott and no-one attacking in once again.

Theo has been excellent – my motm so far

218. SharkeySuresGhost says:

“we don’t hold him in high esteem do we” – no we don’t. but nor should we behave as though absolutely everything is his fault.

Look at Arshavin tonight…with all the talent he has. Not a word against him..??

I don’t rate Cham at all, but tonight he has worked hard and done Ok. He shouldn’t be at the club, and he shouldn’t have started tonight, but once he’s out there…support him !!! It really is as simple as that, well in my opinion anyway

Holy Smoke, that was a close shave!
    Very enjoyable second half.

220. ROLF incoming! What a waste of space!

Rasp: “Theo has been excellent – my motm so far”….sorry to break the news, but the game has finished :-)

hahahaaaaaa – it had to happen

Sharkey, you sir are a star

224. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

GET FURCKED HES DONE IT… @ GIE, the stars have aligned :lol:

225. Bryan says:

Super Chamach hahahahaha

I trust you’re joking micky

227. evonne says:

did you say ‘Poor Chas’ ??

228. SharkeySuresGhost says:

I’m saying nothing……Yeah right !!

Yeah its childish of me but I just aint bothered !!

Get in Marouane…you start on Saturday !!!

229. evonne says:

did Kelsey really go to bed :)

230. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Chamack- the mickey mouse hero

Chamack- Capital one king

Chamack-holds club to ransom and asks for a 25% pay rise :lol:

SS, scuffed his shot through the defenders legs but I’ll take it :lol:

232. Here comes the only player shorter than Arshavin

prince, hahahahahaha

234. Can’t believe Giroud and Coqueling threw shirts in crowd after 90 minutes

235. Bryan says:

I dont knock Chamach Sharkey, I actually feel sorry for him but the comment I made was about Gervinho & I really am not happy with Gervinho playing for this ghrerat teasm but when he’s playing for Arsenal I support him like I do every player that plays for us :-)

Oh & Walcott has been brilliant tonight

Massive oops, I’ve been wondering what the bloody hell you are all talking about. Had no idea there was extra time. Switched off. Ha ha
    5-4!11 this is brilliant

Is that the whiff of Peroni I can smell Rasp? :)

It was “1 goal in all competitions wasn’t it?”

239. Bloody hell Meade flew through the air there

No Rocky, that’s what they call a consolation goal :?

241. Bryan says:

Ashavin is soooo frustrating lol

242. SharkeySuresGhost says:

Eyes of the beholder Rasp..??

Back heel, balletic pirouette into space…then a burst forward screaming for a lay up…smashes ball into bottom corner…only space he could score in.

Wheels away and pulls up shirt to show T-shirt that said….???

I’m loving the way the away boys are singing for Giroud

Nah sharkey’ his contribution to the game as a whole has not been good enough, but I’m immensely grateful for the goal. Giroud is twice the striker he is

245. Brigham says:

Bugger

246. Bryan says:

Oh no, don’t think I can take pens if it gets to them lol

I can see a sending off in these last few minutes, the tackling is looking very tired

248. Brigham says:

We struggled to clear our lines then and paid for it. Row Z when its like this. Come on, Arsh to bag the winner.

What a difference a goalkeeper can make.

250. Brigham says:

Get in, great run by Arsh and I was almost right. :-)

251. Bryan says:

wahooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

yesssssssssssssssssssss

What a GAme !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Walcott definitely definitely motm …. offer him 100k a week,

255. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

IT HAD TO BE…

FEO FEO FEO FEO

Purrrrrrfect baby :-D

256. SharkeySuresGhost says:

Arshavin had to get one right !!!

Absolute madness tonight

257. Bryan says:

Give him 100k a week haha

258. evonne says:

Tony – Walcott has a hatrick :) :) you were so right yesterday

259. Bryan says:

lol weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehay

no make that Chamakh motm :lol: :P :)

261. Brigham says:

Get the tee shirts printed. I was there when Chamakh scored twice.

262. SharkeySuresGhost says:

Speechless !!!!

263. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

OOH TO OOH TO BE OOOH TO BE A GOONER!!

hahahahahahah best game ever

265. goonerjake says:

yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

hahahahahha
    Arsene’s furious with another long clearance despite the goal ROLF

267. Bryan says:

Bet Man U are quaking in their pants lol

What an epic

269. evonne says:

and Kelsey went to bed after first 20mins :)

Surely someone must want to write about that game?

271. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Rugby score. 5-7 Chamack 2goals.. That stuff doesnt happen on the PS3 :-)

What a fantastic game.

Arshavin and Coquelin magnificent in the second half.

Theo MotM

273. That’s going to give you some work on the goals and assist widgets

A first half were they didnt try, shameful. Then a 2nd were Wenger gives them a rocket and Bould beats someone up and we score 7. Amazing.

275. What a cool finish from Chamakh. I told you he’ll score 10

Who has the 10 goal Chamakh bet?

277. goonerjake says:

ooh to ooh to ooh to be a gooner indeed mr prince and again yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssss

Oh – it was you GM

MATCH REPORT
    Quiet night in Reading. Not much happened of note really.

280. Gooner In Exile says:

haha gm, I ususally let chas decide on the assists. Help me out you lot

G1. G Theo, A AA
    G2. G kos, A Theo
    G3. G Giroud, A Theo
    G4 G Tho, A ?
    G5 G Chamakh A?
    G6 G Theo A?
    G7 G Chamakh A?

282. It was me and GIE I think Raddy. I missed most of the game.

The bet was between me and Rocky Raddy – I’m confident he’ll be buying :?

284. slimgingergooner says:

4-0 down

Me: ‘it’s only Capital One Cup and we have got the reserves out. Can’t wait to see the back of Chamakh.’

5-7 up

Me: ‘this is the greatest game I have ever seen! Walcott and Chamakh should get new deals and Arshavin is a world beater! That Eisfeld kid is the new Messi! Hope we get an easy draw next round. We’re off to Wembley, we’re off to Wembley….’

Fans are so fickle! :)

285. Danny says:

That was fun!!

286. Brigham says:

How sorry does that bloke feel now who left just before half time?

287. barumgooner says:

Give Theo a bloody contract. Theo Theo, He gets what he wants !!

288. barumgooner says:

Slim…..That could be me.

289. Gooner In Exile says:

290. slimgingergooner says:

I think the fact that I wasn’t all that bothered if we went out, made that the most fun I have ever had in 120 minutes!!!!

The neutrals must’ve been loving that!

And some people say football has got predictable!

291. SharkeySuresGhost says:

Rasp 10.12 You really need to watch that 2nd half and ET again….but not on your own.

You say a move broke down on his touch….Arsh did that more times than I can count. 7 or 8 first half alone.

He’s played well and given his all for 120min, and scored two good goals to boot (ie not with his head)?? Surely even you can praise him for that..??

292. Gooner In Exile says:

Rasp
    G1 Theo assist Arshavin
    G2 Giroud assist Arshavin?
    G3 Kos assists Theo?
    G4 Jenkinson assist Theo
    G5 Chan assist Arshavin
    G6 Theo assist Arshavin
    G7 Cham assist Theo

What a great night for Chas

294. Gooner In Exile says:

If G4 stays as Theo’s then assist is Cham

295. slimgingergooner says:

I don’t think we should have a match report. Just put up a huge smiley face and let everyone tell stories of where they were when we beat Reading 7-5!

It would ruin the fun experience if we start picking the bones out of the performance!

If that match was a plant, then Bob Marley would’ve smoked it!

296. barumgooner says:

Brian McDermott…..top fella

Sharkey, I give credit to cham for his last 20 minutes. For the first 60 minutes he wasn’t good enough.He certainly grew in confidence and took his second goal really well. Unfortunately for him, we couldn’t wait for him to find form and (as Giroud is a better striker so MC’s chances will be rare and he obviously needs regular play (as does Giroud).

Arsh makes a lot of mistakes but he can change games, if we had to choose, I’d rather keep AA and wish MC well at another club

298. SharkeySuresGhost says:

Surprise of the night…for me…Eisfeld.

Only saw glimpses and his finishes before. He was mesmerisingly good tonight. Touch, vision, movement, awareness.

Disappointment..? Frimpong. Might not see hm in an Arsenal shirt again. Off on loan within a week I reckon…shame. Not sure how big a part his injuries have played, or if the loss of his physical advantage thru the youth teams is also a factor.

SGG. Just what I think. Even at 4-0 I was relaxed – disappointed but relaxed,

A negative …. Koscielny was dreadfulll tonight, Could easily have been sent off and was completely undisciplined

300. SharkeySuresGhost says:

TVs just given the 4th to Jenks….!! Official

Night All. Great spending time with you.

Agreed on Frimpong, Eisfeld is a great prospect and can orchestrate the midfield in a way that Frimpong can’t

303. oz gunner says:

What the bloody hell happened??? I miss one game because it wasn’t on TV and I wake up to that score! Holy smokes, I have to find a download, and stat!!!!

304. Thanx Evonne. Given a chance the boy can play…and score.
    Oh dear!! We could win this cup.
    We have another game on Saturday. We MUST win that one.
    Have a good night fellow Gooners. Luv yaz.

305. barumgooner says:

Rasp, I so feel for Chamakh. Started really well for the Arsenal, the boy Robin found form and he has been frozen out since but he hasn’t moaned or whinged or complained but he hasn’t been given a chance to play. If you dont play you cant score. I didnt think he was the best player when we signed him but he was a Wenger player (free), I instantly liked his attitude and still do. This could be his re-awakening…….and if we dont keep Theo we are showing ourselves as a truly laughable club. WE MUST KEEP HIM.

306. SharkeySuresGhost says:

I wasn’t too relaxed Randy.

I didn’t realise just how good Eisfield was…and thought Giroud was the only ‘game changer’ on the bench, but I didn;t know where the service to Giroud would come from.

I really didn’t figure that Giroud and Cham could be such an effective pairing.

Not sure whats happened to Kozzer’s form…looks like he is trying too hard at the moment. Its a worry..especially with Tommy V looking shaky

307. slimgingergooner says:

Totally agree on Frimps.

There’s no-one I want to succeed more at the club because you can see he’s Arsenal through and through, but I just don’t think he has the pace or touch needed at the club.

Sometimes it feels as though he’s almost too passionate and this affects his discipline and performance.

If he can get back to how he played for the handful of Wolves games then he could well become a top player for us. Hope he proves me wrong.

308. VCC says:

GIE 8:26…..????? Please explain.

309. Gooner In Exile says:

Ahem…..at the time I felt my theory that the senior pros wouldn’t pull their fingers out was very apt, consider my trumpet unblown :)

310. SharkeySuresGhost says:

For all I’ve said about Chamakh tonight,and how I’ve defended him, I still feel he should be moved on.

He did very well tonight but we have waited far too long for him to show that sort of hunger and desire. Hunger and desire are mandatory requirements whilst wearing an Arsenal shirt….

If anyone dares add ‘…in a whorehouse’ to my last paragraph I’ll not be happy !!

On that note…night

Slim
    “If that match was a plant, then Bob Marley would’ve smoked it!”
    That my friend is an absolute gem :-)
    I also agree with the match report. We would have to tear the Manager and Team to shreds for the first half, and after an epic, history making, highly enjoyable game, that would be a shame.

For me this is not about individuals. The first half was a disgrace, not because they let in four but becuase the commitment was lacking and Wenger knows it. A strip was torn out of them at half time and they came out and gave every thing. They must all get great credit for a fantastic comeback, we all know these guys have quality.

The fact remains and shall always be so, when you represent Arsenal you must give 100%.

Nite Sharkey

314. neamman says:

Damn the match wabnt on in Canada We had some stupid German cup game, I should see the highlights tonight though on soccer central

315. Gooner In Exile says:

On Frimpong I think we have to understand the type of player he is. He is not Eisfield, if you want to makes comparison at least compare him to Coquelin or Song. It is also his first start for a while and he would have found the pace difficult.

The only advantage Coquelin has at present is that little bit more game time, I do not think we should let Frimpong go though even if Arsene decides he is a squad player, give me a player with his attitude to the club and team every day of the week.

Right all. I’m afraid that apart from matters Arsenal, I’m into my 17th hour of work today, and I’m cream crackered, so I will say a very good night to you all.
    We were there! (oh alright..we were here :-) )

317. Right time for a quick peak at the LG meltdown and toy throwing contest

318. Brigham says:

A huge and massive big up to ALL the Gooners who stayed, sang their hearts out and got fully behind the lads tonight. You were loud and proud on my TV.

Pity that Arsene did not recognise the fact in his post match interview.

319. barumgooner says:

SS. How can the guy show hunger and desire if he doesn’t get game-time. He wont get confidence or results unless he plays and he hasn’t been given the chance. I think he probably will be moved on but still feel for him. Arsene has not helped him and If I were Giroud I would be looking at Cham and starting to worry about why i’m being left on the bench when there are no other strikers at the club ? If I were Theo….as much as I hate to say it……leave Arsenal and be an England Interational striker or stay and be a continually criticised winger ?

320. SharkeySuresGhost says:

No offence GiE, but they appeared in the same comment from me but that was just unfortunate. I wasn;t attempting to compare the two in any way…as you say they have completely different roles.

For what its worth, I’ve had a few doubts about Frim for a little while now.

Right really going now

321. Oh there are some absolute pearlers:

“arshavin and chamakh should be sentenced to death”

“Another ‘Wenger’ performance. Spineless, unmotivated, and crap passing.Can’t someone just kill the ****?”

“******** disgrace. BUT. Losing this could be the thing that gets Wenger sacked, especially as it could be a ******** bigger joke score than it already is. I would take getting hammered tonight to get rid of this clueless tosser.”

Love this last one as it epitomises the clueless fan who spouts rubbish he has heard from someone else without checking some facts on the squads that won trophies.

“More proof that Wenger’s early success at our club was from his inheritance of Geroge Graham’s squad. Apart from Overmars and Wenger’s influence on Henry, converting him from winger to CF, the teams success came from players already in the squad and not Wenger’s management.”

Lets see if we can make a longer list in the “apart from”

I’ll start
    Vieira
    Pires

322. Sharkey, it was more Rasp’s 10:48 i was responding to.

I agree he needs to step up a bit now, but i still think i’d keep him, a bit like Jenkinson the guy bleeds red and white and we need plenty of them in the squad even if they’re not in the team, they will give their all when needed.

323. barumgooner says:

Anyway….. Lets all enjoy tonight. But I cant help feeling that Walcott’s decision will have a massive bearing on the club, more than any of the other money-chasing so-called superstars, this is purely about playing a potentially great player out of position. I am sure if he goes to another premiership club he will become one of the best strikers in the world….and Arsene wants him as an average winger ????????

324. oz gunner says:

@ neamman

I’ll track down the download and post the link up on here. Someone will definitely upload the whole thing by the morning.

Highlights won’t do by the sounds of it. And that way people can watch in whenever work or otherwise

325. oz gunner says:

hahaha GiE, that site is always good for a laugh

Thomas Eisfeld……………..the German Jack Wilshire.

Class.

327. This really is a night of surprises, Chamakh is leading the MotM poll on Arsenal.com at the moment, 48% of vote to Theo’s 32%

328. VCC says:

LB…….so Theo cant play in the middle up front…….???

MOTM.

329. LB a midfield of young Jack and Thomas some time in the future is quite mouthwatering I think.

330. Gooner In Exile says:

VCC, Theo proved tonight that its not about where you start it’s about where you run.

331. oz gunner says:

If Eisfeld turns out to be better than Mario Gotze we should vote for Arsene to be ruler of the world!

332. VCC says:

GIE….. Tonight proved you are a goal keeper.

Oz
    Maybe he was just going for a pee.

Didn’t see any of it – but wow!

Maybe this was what our season needed.

I would love to watch the whole game – there are clearly very mixed interpretations of certain performances (Chamakh, obviously).

And it seems a bit harsh go write off Pingpong after one bad game – he hardly ever gets to play and he may have just had a bad day. But like I said, I didn’t see it.

335. Keep Theo at Arsenal

336. Gooner In Exile says:

Rocky wouldn’t say Frimpong had a bad game but a midfield three of Gnabry, Frimpong and Coquelin looked unsure first half, Gnabry probably playing a little too high.

We were being slaughtered on the flanks too which is no surprise with AA and Theo not being the best defenders.

Chamakh was Chamakh lite until he got a bit peed off about a handball that wasn’t given seemed to put a bit of fire in his belly.

Giroud impressed me on the ball tonight when he dropped a little deeper, some good passes and composure shown.

VCC I honestly think Theo can not play up top in the PL on his own, Defoe is the closest to someone of his size and build who does it, but Defoe has the ability to make himself a yard with his back to goal and shoot on the turn not something I’ve seen Theo do. I need to watch highlights but my guess is Theo was not in the CF position as he started to move for any of his goals other than the first, when Reading left an acre of space in behind, which is when he is at his most lethal. That’s my point..he can score goals from wide in the PL, he contributed a few last season, he just has to make the right movement. But that’s not why he wants to leave, let’s be certain it’s about money and trophies and nothing else.

337. Adrian says:

Of all the days I had to be busy preparing for this paper I’m taking, it had to be today. Gutted and pissed that I missed one heck of a comeback by the Arsenal… I thought it would probably have been an easy 2-0 win to us before the game, shows how unpredictable football really is. Off to see the highlights!

Haha, just got in. I had a lovely night.
    No idea about the assists, Rasp, sorry will have a look tomorrow to see if GIE is right.
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Both Tony Adams and Tom Watt were sat behind us but for some reason both left before the end of the game. Apologies for the poor quality of the photo. Hahaha.

340. Adrian says:

Theo’s last ‘goal’ clearly passed the line, shame really that he couldn’t get a hattrick today. But doesn’t matter as Jenks was there to thump the rebound in, and this pic of Jens is great. https://twitter.com/FootbaIIReport/status/263419749877301248/photo/1

341. oz gunner says:

Possibly Rocky, but the poor bloke was taped on TV with the commentators jumping to that conclusion. If he did leave I feel very sorry for him!

342. oz gunner says:

Rocky I sent through a link to get the full game downloaded but I’m guessing it was marked as spam. If you want I can email you the link.

343. Adrian says:

Oz can you give me the link too?

344. 26may1989 says:

Have just watched that game….. Oh……. My……….. God!

Morning all.

yes I did go to bed at 3-0. I couldn’t stand what I was seeing.School boy defending.A horror show.But why so laxadazical from the first whistle, rserves or not.
    Reading the comments even on here,to put it mildly, weren’t encouraging at half time and before.
    How can a team play so badly in the first half ? Whatever was said at half time by AW would be really interesting to know ?

Have now seen the highlights,crazy game but one thing that stood out for me was that was the first time I have seen Arshavin do a proper shift not over 90 but over 120 minutes.

Anyway by all accounts a remarkable game in the end and entertainment value for the neutrals couldn’t have been better.

First time i can emember us winning a game by one set 7-5. I think I will stay away from watching in future,it might be the turning point :)

346. Adrian says:

Playing a front 2 of Walcott and Giroud (along with Chanakh) really seemed to have upped our game, food for thought for Wenger perhaps esp the Walcott part, he seems to be quite the chip lover doesn’t he? Decent finishes by him and Giroud had quite a good game too.

Bob Wilson ‏@BobWilsonBWSC

“@PositiveAdi: @BobWilsonBWSC happy birthday Bob! The Arsenal gave you quite the birthday present!” Started the day 71 finished it 80

Shame you missed it kelsey. A real roller coaster.

Playing an hour with 4-2-4 was great to watch, just like the old days

Time for trumpet blowing ….. BR has been bigging up Eisfeld for some time, the lad is going to have a big future at AFC.

Oz. I removed your comment with the email address. Just for safety – there are some crazy people out there :-)

350. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Yeah, that Terry bloke, i heard his new scope has a longer range. Ask Mr mirror man Glic, im sure as Sharkeys Ghost he can shine some light on it :lol:

Off to work, happy dayze

We picked up 6 yellow cards in a game without a single vicious tackle.

352. oz gunner says:

cheers BR, upon reflection wasn’t a good idea posting that.

PPP already sent me some naked pictures haha

Oz. Post match excitement affected your judgement … just as well glic wasn’t around or you could have received 2 dozen pictures of him

354. evonne says:

Kelsey :) i wanted to go to bed and cry, but I can never do that, leave the lads on their own. How glad was I that I stayed?

Wenger deserves huge credit for not making 3 subs at half time. I was thinking along the lines – let them bury themselves, or dig themselves out of that shit. And, boy they did!

And for Giroud and Chamakh to score is a huge bonus, I expect OG to play on Saturday

Man Unitied – are you watching :)

355. Gooner In Exile says:

Morning all.

Some classic tweets during last nights first half.

One fan is having his own testicle stew today, another eating poo kebab, and another is going to have a tattoo of Chamakh on his forehead. These are all things they said they would do if the Moroccan scored.

356. evonne says:

GiE – thah Jackie Power and Pierce Morgan must be truly disappointed we won

357. Gooner In Exile says:

Goals 2 and 3 were Theo assists.

The only goal/assist of contention is no 4.

In the post match interview Theo threw away the match ball sarcastically and gave Jenkinson his first goal (after Jenkinson pleading “come on…..it’s my first goal”)

358. Adrian says:

Haha it seems that most people are saying that is was Theo’s goal as it definitely crossed the line, a bit of a shame as he couldn’t get his hat trick, but Jenk’s first goal really meant a lot to him.

Thanks Oz for the link. :)

Player ratings should be done over two halves. A team average of 2 in the first half and 8 in the second.

evonne. If SAF watched that game he will be expecting another 8-2. Do you think MU would let us back into the game like that? Reading went to pieces especially in midfield.

Theo and OG must start at OT. They have 4 days to recover

Do you think AA was putting himself in the shop window again ?

Gotta say GIE

Your 1.09am is such a good explanation and in my opinion very true.

362. evonne says:

Raddy – I know, just kidding :) No team should be scared of us after the first half performance.

Mind you, I don’t think they played fantastic in the second half, just with guts, determination and desire that got the result.

I suspect most people will remember Arshavin’s great run at the end which led to Walcott scoring the winner but I thought in general AA was guilty of poor passing and failed to make his case for playing the Cazorla role. Everyone can see how sloppy the defense was but notice how many times we lost possesion due to Arshavin’s carelessness which in turn led to Reading pressure and then to their goals.

Gioroud showed a determination that I didn’t realise existed until last evening.

Hear hear, GiE and LB. Theo will score more goals cutting in from wide and timing his runs, centrally he’d get frustrated.

Its sad to think of all the young lads who will have been inspired by his performance last night and want to go out and but a Theo shirt.

Unfortunately the ‘old school’ members of our board (and maybe even the manager) are unlikely to go back to Theo and improve their offer.

I agree we shouldn’t go overboard on the evidence of one game, but the improvement that so many have said has been lacking in his game has materialised and if he keeps learning his trade he will be a great player.

Kelsey
    “Do you think AA was putting himself in the shop window again?”
    We were in Reading not bloody Amsterdam you fool :-)

Morning all.
    Eisfeld…yes, very much.
    Lessons….if it ain’t working, change the sodding plan.

368. Gooner In Exile says:

I have said many times before LB that I have no problem losing possession in the final 3rd if the pass is forward and trying to pick open the defence, the problem comes as you say when a 5 yard pass in the middle third is played without due care and attention. Especially from a senior pro on the pitch.

I just realised Johann Djourou is our longest serving player in the current squad – 8 years…2 more and we all go to the Emirates to give him a testimonial! He is still only 25….which is youthful for a Centre Back.

Rasp

i don’t believe that it is as simple as Arsenal offering a magic number that Walcott will accept, to me it is a case of him shopping around, the board know that even if they increase their offer and City decide to come in for him that increased offer will be a waste of time as City will always be able to improve upon it and whats worse other players will be able to say well you offered Theo that why can’t I have it and hey presto we are running the club in debt.

370. Gooner In Exile says:

Despite all the calamitous defending and ridiculous goal fest still the funniest part of te night was seeing Coquelin and Giroud being told be James Shea that there was extra time and they had to go get back the shirts they threw into the crowd on 90 :)

Seemed like te players gave quite a few shirts out at the final whistle to thank the away fans for the support, which was epic as normal.

Do we need to organise an AA away day? Think that could be fun, somewhere in te midlands would be good as it would be half way for many of us. Chas is the away tickets king so maybe he has some idea when te net big allocation will be, my guess the Hawthorns give quite a good allocation.

GiE,
    It wasn’t just the players who thought that was it at 90+5.
    I had switched off theonlinefooty, and was back working. Naturally, I kept my AA page open and was following comments, and thinking “what the hell ae they talking about?”. Rejoined the action at 4-5 :-)

LB @ 8:32, I agree and accept all you say. At this late stage in his contract we are in a poor bargaining position. A better financial offer and some kind of signing bonus is about all we could do – but I think we have to try.

The marketing dept must realise how much Theo is worth.

We need heroes and players who can recruit and inspire young fans. We have The Ox and Jack, but Theo is still the potentially the biggest asset in terms of marktting.

I’d be up for that GiE, I’m embarrassed to admit I’ve never been to an away game in the PL era.

Micky,

The red light district of Reading is notorious.

GIE, anything is possible in football as was seen last night, so maybe we will draw Malaga in the CL. Now that would be a good place to met up (for me) ;)

If Theo scores a hattrick at OT the meet is on me :)

Notorious only amongst certain elements!

Morning kelsey, I don’t think AW plans to start with Theo at OT. Unfortunately I think he’ll start Ramsey and Pod again as the 2 wide players.

378. Gutted …………… I just wrote a 450 word post that disappeared into the ether!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

379. glic says:

Morning all
    Didn`t see the game last night, ( I will watch it later on player ) but had a good night reading all your comments, that was entertainment in it`s self. So funny that both kelsey and evonne said good night. hahaha and prince said, ” cant see us scoring one “! hahaha

380. glic says:

Oh , and Stretch, the most optimistic gooner on the planet getting rattled in the first half ! hahaha Then again, he does have the deadly Man Flu, so can be forgiven ! hahaha

381. glic says:

Cant wait to listen to Adrian Durham later, he was among the Arsenal away fans with his son !.

Re: Arshavin. For a man who is supposedly unfit he was still running hard after 120 mins. As with many others he was dreadful first half but I thought he never gave up trying to be creative. He deserves credit for his bravery if nothing else.

Even more astonishing than 5-7 was Chamakh’s first goal. The drag back pass was sublime, the diagonal run inspired and the finish, if somewhat fortunate was hit hard.

Raddy,
    The impact of Eisfeld (remember him, the player we signed in January!!!) was the one that added forward gears and thrust.

Peaches,
    Trim it down to 80 words, and those around this morning can fill in the gaps. Poor you :-(

The game changed when Eisfeld and Giroud came on. Theo’s first goal was the most important for the team, but Girouds goal (the best of the night?) really inspired the belief that we could get back into the game. Chamakh and Giroud both grew in confidence as a result of their goals.

But Raddy at 9.23 doesn’t that tell you something.

387. Aaaaarrrrggggghhhhh

Ok, Rasp is just adding some pics ……. sorry all, it’ll be ready in a couple of minutes

388. Chamakh reminded me of lionel Messi when he scored his 2nd.

Thanks to peaches for stepping upat the last minute to write a report twice!!!

…….. New post …… keep eulogising :P

It tells me that we have a decent player who is totally lacking in confidence which is AW’s fault and no-one else.

Chamakh needs to leave in January.

Micky. BR 6.56 (why was I up so bloody early?)