Box to Box Supporters

In the wake of some Club Financials, I am going to assume that future commercial deals are in good hands. That leaves the biggest threat to our business being the renewal/take-up of Corporate Boxes, and the massive contribution to match day income (someone can correct me, but I believe it represents something around 30% of match day revenue). I have noticed some spaces up there, and this is worrying. What’s to be done?

Well, let’s begin by studying these creatures.

I have only been in a box once. While very generous of my host, and I did have a great evening sitting with real die hard Arsenalistas in our compartment, I have to say that the boxes surrounding us were filled with decidedly uninterested looking sorts. Their mobile telephones were very busy and I could only think that it was an okay evening out. Nothing more.

Firstly, I must point out that I have nothing against Corporations or Big Business, although sitting amongst them does not rock my boat. However, we at The Arsenal do need to show them a good time, and I’m not convinced we are doing a very good job. I think the most fundamental error is in assuming these people are here primarily for the football. I don’t think so. It’s to impress someone, meet someone, tick a box, its free, and ok some like a game but probably follow some other team, while overall I would imagine only a tiny percentage are serious Arsenal Fans.

In the name of research, I have just visited The Arsenal site and unearthed this picture. Let’s be honest, if we were comparing to hotels, then these boxes are at the Travelodge end of the market. I also downloaded these prices for the next home game.

Executive Box Package
10 Seater @ £4,500 + vat
12 Seater @ £5,400 + vat
15 Seater @ £6,750 + vat

Right, so £450 a pop including lunch and nibbles. Just had a look around options on the same day, and you can get best tickets to see someone called Cheryl for £100, or Swan Lake at The Royal Opera House for the same price. Alright, so no chicken legs included and no welcoming glass of fizz, but still.

Look, 90% of Corporate are male, and we know what generally constitutes a good night out. Think Stag Party, belching, farting, and throwing up. I know what I would do…ban women, improve the waitresses, cut the quality of the booze and vastly increase the quatity, and turn a blind eye to smoking and inhaling. Re-instate the 3rd floor as THE place to be for rich, fertile and highly obnoxious City high flyers, and turn this tier into a sea of vice.

I do understand that you may have other suggestions.

Written by MickyDidIt89

75 Responses to Box to Box Supporters

Haha, Micky.

Ant and me are in a corporate box for Reading in the C1Cup.
    I hope it’s exactly as you describe our boxes should be.

I just looked up the price of a 10 seater for the spuds game in November.
    Flippin heck, it’s 10 grand plus vat.
    Makes my season ticket seem ridiculously cheap. :)

Mind you, it does include all of this

Champagne reception on arrival
    Pre-match three course Theatre Buffet
    Complimentary house wines, beers & minerals throughout the entire matchday
    Private 10 seater Executive Box with external seating balcony
    Half-time cheese & biscuits
    Matchday programme and an AFC Corporate gift
    Full-time tea & coffee
    AFC Legend appearance

I wonder who the Reading legend will be?

Micky :-)

I haven’t been to a box at The Emirates. Last time over my cousin who has a box invited me but I preferred to go to the Turkish and spend time with my friends.

He assures me it can get hairy up there and as we started off on the North Bank together – he knows what he is talking about.

My experiences of boxes are limited to Spurs, Chavs and Lords. Not for me, I prefer to be in the mosh pit, but I accept there is a certain capital to be gained by saying you watch from a box.

However, if the box in the pic is genuine, it is worse than poor. Very little space for an exotic dancer to strut.

chas. 10k !!! Outrageous.

I could take 10 people for an all-inclusive week in the Caribbean for that. Though they wouldn’t get a match day programme not a 5 minute visit from Charlie George

5. Norfolk Gooner says:

My God these interlulls are awful, there is just nothing worth writing about is there?

6. glic says:

No women !
    You North Devon boys take the biscuit, so you want Trannie waitresses !, Naked Thai boys parading seductively in view of the North Bank !, count me out, I dont so to any such parties which discriminate against bearded dwarf ladies, though, I should imagine Arsene ,Ivan and Transplant have you on speed dial !.
    I can just imagine you sitting at the head of the table, typical evil Bond villain, stroking cat , ” fourteen of you arrived, only one will leave, mwahahahaha “. Not forgetting your weird taste in food, ” These Korean meatballs,…..they really are the dogs bollix, tuck in ! “

glic. Read it again- I don’t think you fully understood

Football free Sundays mean having to do house jobs. I suppose it is a positive. Thank goodness we don’t have a car to wash.

Thanks for an entertaining read as ever Micky.

I think the amount paid for a bx should be related to how quickly they return to their seats at half time and how loudly they cheer the Arsenal. By that standard, some ‘supporters in a box’ would be paying millions.

On another note, here is a link to the wiki page exlaining the ramifications of a bruised lung, which I believe is the diagnosis of Theo’s chest injury ………

Hi Raddy, my nephew has just secured a position as lecturer in Particle Physics at Copenhagen University. He was overjoyed when he discovered the generous salary on offer ….. and then he found out about the cost of living. He says everyone in Denmark is paid reasonably well but they’re all brought down to the same level by the tax system etc, so there are no distinct class boundaries.

Do you have any tips for him living in Denmark?

10. glic says:

Raddy, I`m thick, perhaps you could explain. hahaha

Rasp. Yes I have….. Email me.

Re Denmark: I like a system where none have too little and few have too much. Income tax plus VAT = about 75%, add in luxury taxes on alcohol , cigarettes, petrol etc and you can see why this is so.

And Denmark has a Fat Tax – possibly the only country in the world to do so – crisps, butter etc are taxed above the VAT threshold

12. Double98 says:

Just up the seven sisters you can get a box for the whole season with the following BENEFITS:
    • Ownership of your Executive Box for all home Barclays Premier League, The FA Cup, Carling Cup and European games
    • Priority on additional tickets for Home and Away matches
    • Match Day Programmes and Team Sheets
    • Access to Box Holders’ Lounges with bar areas
    • Access to a range of dining choices from fine dining to informal options
    • Access to VIP Away Trips
    • Visits from Spurs Legends
    • LCD Screen TV with satellite and Spurs TV Matchday coverage
    • Use of the box on non-match days
    • Free advertising in the Club’s Online Business Directory
    • Annual Executive Box Holders event with the Manager and First Team present
    • Company listing in Matchday Programme
    • Secure Car Parking

EAST STAND BOXES FOR THE 2012/2013 SEASON:
    10 seat Boxes from £42,000 + VAT
    12 seat Boxes from £44,000 + VAT
    16 seat Boxes from £54,000 + VAT
    18 seat Boxes from £60,000 + VAT

Of course finding 9-17 tossers to join you ever week would be tough and what is a spurs legend?
    That should be a spurs “Myth” – maybe they get Manu Petit in to tell them how he nearly signed….

13. Red Arse says:

D98, :-)

Otherwise known as ‘having more money than sense’ — Pillocks!!

Very good Micky
    I persuaded my boss to get a box at a midweek CL game a couple of years ago.

We invited “professional contacts” who we knew were mostly of the Arsenal persuasion.

Quite a good night but, sadly, no dancing girls and nowhere near as much fun as being in the regular seats with my mates.

D98
    Presumably up the Seven Sisters those figures are what they pay you to go and sit in their poxy boxes, rather than the other way round :)

16. TotalArsenal says:

Hi Micky, another typical fine post by you, Sir! :)

I have been three times to a corporate footie event and I must say I enjoyed it every time. Arsenal-Ajax at Highbury in 2003: a CL game; Everton-Arsenal for the PL; and England-Kazakhstan a few years ago.

The latter one was in a box at Wembley and I had a fiver on Ferdinand scoring first. The odds were something like 35-1 so that was a nice bit of gambling income. The company was okay; nothing to formal, and everyone was into football. I just was in awe of the new Wembley and felt great to be there.

The other two were a ‘meal and merchandise’ before the game and drinks after the game, with normal seats rather than a box. We drew against Ajax (1-1) and it was a bit of a damp squib (expectations were high because we had just kicked MU out of the FA cup the weekend before).

We lost against Everton which was a disappointment, but I loved the way Everton football club ran the corporate event: full of humour, surprisingly good food, and real respect for Arsenal FC.

How to keep attracting the corporate pound? Sexy footie will do the trick. :lol:

17. Red Arse says:

Sadly, TA, I have been to very few games away from home and never in a corporate box.

Of all things I have been to Lords to watch an incomprehensible test day for an England v Australia game quite a few years ago.

I am now quite a keen cricket fan, especially T20, but the ‘Test’ match all those years ago bamboozled me.

It was the “Third” day and I had to fight to stay awake on a balmy day with plenty of booze while chatting in a desultory way to other equally disinterested corporate clients, all of us forced to stay until the ‘great man’ we were sucking up to decided to leave.

The 3rd Day — Allelujah — and no result, apparently that was slated for two days later! What? Crazy!

I checked later and I think the Aussies won, or lost :-) Who knows? Who cared? :-)

Well maybe Rasper did!! :lol:

18. Red Arse says:

Evonne told me that Rocky Mountain used to belong to a male stripper group called the Chipps in the Dales or something.

Can’t be sure but I think Deadly Doris aka Glic was the lead singer or flasher or whatever they are called.

Rumour has it that was why the Rock had to flee to the Adirondack Mountains before hopping into Canada.

TA. Good to see you here. Shame there is no football to talk about.

At Spurs they had mics over the fans and tried to create atmosphere in the box by piping in the chants which were few and far between.

The awfulness of the WHL is reflected in both the fans and the boxes.

20. TotalArsenal says:

Hi RA :)

90 minutes is just about the right time for any sporting event for me, but I admire the British, heavenly ability to not bother about time. :)

Fine stuff Micky.

It always amazes me when i see the prices of these boxes. Thousands od pounds so Charlie George can tell you how he in the 1971 season he headbutted Jack Charlton seems pretty excesive.

Now if Charlies story was more on the lines of how he kidnapped Charlton, tortured him, and made him watch as he made sweet love to his more than willing wife, then yes, i would pay a couple of grand for that. hahaha

22. TotalArsenal says:

thanks Raddy :)

I saw your comment re Bendtner the other day – do you have any ideas why he does so much better for his country than at club level? Is he perhaps far more accepted as a person/character in the Danish team?

23. Neamman says:

maybe Denmark build their team around him? They dont have any other well known strikers do they?

24. I’m definitely in for the smoking and inhaling Micky :D

The only time I did corporate was for the Makita Cup at Wembley admittedly I was probably about 12, the only reason we had it was because no one else at my Dads bank wanted use of it for the day. I know he always wished they would have got the Clock End Box but his seniors decided Wembley offered more variety, didn’t hurt though as Dad managed to score tickets for the League Cup Final vs Luton as Ken Friar tried to woo him and the bank to take the box :D

I also got to walk on the pitch at Highbury as the same bank used to sponsor some of the Junior Gunners community programs and my Dad had to make a presentation on the pitch one day, that was the very very early days of corporate involvement.

I have always thought the price of boxes at Emirates seemed reasonable when considering the meal, and the “Complimentary house wines, beers & minerals throughout the entire matchday”

Now i really think we as deidcated AA’ers should put this to the test. I have aired this idea before.

“Entire Matchday” being the key word, so lets say next League Cup game at home is Shrewsbury or some such team, the boxes go for pretty reasonable money on these nights.I think last time i looked about £2.5-£3k for the 10 seater.

Now back to the issue of Entire Matchday, and evening kick off would be 19:45 so we arrive at 10am and see just how much Peroni we can get through for our money, then the five course dinner to sober us up and watch the game. In Norfolk that is known as “Jobs a Good’un”

On top of Rasps suggestion “I think the amount paid for a bx should be related to how quickly they return to their seats at half time and how loudly they cheer the Arsenal.” I wondered whether we could have a similar early exit tax at the Emirates in force, pay £10 for every minute before the 90 minutes is up when you leave. Has coming to football really become a chore that you want to get away from as early as possible, don’t the players win lose or draw deserve to be greeted by stands as full as the ones at kick off showing them some appreciation for their efforts, some fans call for loyalty from players and to see out their contracts, some fans can’t even be bothered to watch to the final whistle, why should the players care any more?

TA. To begin with Nik is played as a central striker. He is the fulcrum of the attack and given license to play across the line.

Furthermore, he is loved in Denmark and in the squad. Why? because he scores and no-one else does! He has scored 21 goals in 52 apps. A very good record and compares with RvP who has 30 in 70 apps or Rooney 31 in 71.

It should also be remembered that Nik plays in a team which is picked from a population of just 5m – England has 14 times the player pool. To be playing at Arsenal is huge for a Danish player.

NB is still only 24. He should have a fine future if he can find the right club.

GIE. Love the Early Exit Tax

27. Still think we should have been the right club for NikB…think the fans got on his case little too easily and he didn’t always help himself with comments. But I think we often forget how young some of our players are, we had judged him before he reached 22 with only a handful of sub appearances and occasional starts.

But i never questioned his effort when on the pitch for us, and that has to be the first requirement surely?

28. jnyc says:

Micky, this was interesting to me. I always imagined those boxes to be much more luxurious. A small investment in making them more special, could lead to better sales and would easily pay for itself.

29. Illybongani says:

That’s not a box at THOF….that’s Harry Redknapps lock up garage surely?

Ahh, internet again.

Clever idea for a post Micky; do the boxes really make up 30% of match day gate receipts or is that the whole of corporate level?

I have only been in a box a couple of times, it’s the sort of thing you try and then happily return to a place where the the “C” word is used more liberally which, in my opinion, makes for a far better atmosphere.

As for NB, I am starting to think that we are still going to see a lot more of him at THOF.

31. TotalArsenal says:

Thanks BR, 21 goals in 52 caps is indeed impressive. From what you are saying, I have got a feeling that he will do well where is fully accepted and seen as the main man to lead the attack and score the goals. I cannot see that happening at Juventus or Arsenal, so what will be his next step: a German club: Hamburg, Schalke, Dortmund?

32. Gooner In Exile says:

Interesting LB, on the theory that Cham and Park leave I guess?

33. Gooner In Exile says:

As for the box I think it’s actually a small element of the package, the club level style seat for the match, the meal etc etc, not many stay inside for the match I guess and dinner is served in the restaurant areas, so it’s probably only used for half time drinks.

TA. A swap plus €10m for Reus or Goetze? The Germans we have are very impressive.

35. TotalArsenal says:

Yes please!! :) Maybe we can also persuade Huntelaar to come to THOF so he can outscore brave Sir Robin in the PL…. :)

I can’t add to the debate about corporate boxes as I have never been in one,but in the latest accounts ticket sales turnover fell by 5 million and with the ongoing recession there must be an eliment of companies who have not taken up their option, or are the boxes all sold ?

Bendtner is another thing altogether.Definitely another player difficuct to handle with his ego but time and time again AW played him out on the wing (not the first player to be played out of their natural position) and just because it worked with Henry it doesn’t necessarilly mean it would work with others.Walcott also says he should play more centrally,but he isn’t what I would call an instinctive striker and nor is Gervinho.Arshavin plays in a more central position for Russia and I still think he has something to offer.(I see he is linked to Fulham, but that would mean a drop of wages of 50%, Murphy last season was their highest paid player on 40K a week)
    Barca play without a recognised striker but very few teams if any can emulate them.
    I think character as well as football ability has a lot to do with it and AW has become more ruthless with certain players,regardless of their abilty, something he should have done a few seasons back.

Morning, kelsey.

Micky,
    I had a super bonny on Saturday evening after your talk of burgers and fire on the beach. Thanks for reminding me I had lots of garden rubbish to burn and that I love setting things on fire. :)

38. Gooner In Exile says:

Kelsey the boxes aren’t all taken, I guess as they surround the ground there is not as much need for companies to take them for a whole season, as supply is higher than demand week in week out.

I bet there are also done wealthy individuals (ex players included) who have one for the whole season.

According to the accounts the Matchday Revenues went up £2m although this is attributed to one more CL game and one less League Cup game rather than the inflationary increase.

Morning all,
    Love your suggestion GiE. Knocking on the front door at 10:00am looking all dehydrated and thirsty ROLF

Ah, but did you use the heat from your bonny to burger up?

41. Gooner In Exile says:

According to wiki there are 150 boxes and 7,139 club level seats.

If we take Swansea as an example the boxes are average around £5k per box. £750k

Club Level Seats are around £160. So there is £1.1m income there.

So in general £1.9m is raised from those areas, the total ticket revenue per game is £3.2m on average.

So overall club level and boxes account for 60% of our Matchday revenues. (Although they also bring increased Matchday costs (food, drink, waiting staff etc).

60%…blimey. I had a feeling my estimate was conservative and was box only, but it is certainly these areas where the emties appear first.

I don’t really eat burgers.
    Do you make your own?
    I’d made a chicken curry and washed it down with some wife-beater. :)

I took my son Club Level to a game last season, and the view is excellent, but, and its a massive one, inside the bar areas are a lot of table football machines. Every single one is a dud, with the goalies at the wrong end (in your right).
    The Buyer at AFC has been sold a very dodgy shipment.

Chas,
    Yes, but nothing clever. If, as on sat, its a ruck sack day, then we take a packet of mince (albeit very good local stuff) and roll it into shape on site.
    We have the very best, lightest, equipment for these kind of days.

I tried to make lamb burgers once and didn’t put in enough seasoning. They were a bit bland.

The table football comment made me laugh. I didn’t realise it made any difference which end the goalies were at.

How about this one?

Toasting fork?

48. evonne says:

Morning boys
    Just catching up with last days blogosphere, but bursting to tell you about my journey to Poland, ok, typing in word first…

49. evonne says:

On the plane to Warsaw I sat with a young polish girl and an old english boy. They were chatting and I was reading Raddy-recommended book. Their conversation went along these lines:
    -I am student, I study law in London, yes, it is difficult because of the law jargon, I’ve been to London for 4 years, but not permanently, but now that my boyfriend and I have a new place, I am shifting all my possessions from Warsaw to London, bla bla bloody bla for almost 2 hours, until the old boy asked about the boyfriend:
    – Is he also Polish
    – Yes
    – Has he been to London for long?
    – Yes, about 6 years
    – Does he work in London?
    – Yes
    – What does he do?
    – He is a footballer
    – A professional footballer?
    – Yes
    – What, like plays for a club?
    – Yes
    – Which club?
    – Arsenal
    At this point Raddy-recommended book was dropped to the floor and Evonne has almost suffered a whiplash
    – What’s his name
    – Wojtek
    – Szczesny?
    – Yes

I was only left with half an hour of interrogating the girl :(

I smell tomorrow’s post.

Then again, I suppose you can’t really abuse the girl’s trust, can you?

From Swiss Ramble on our latest accounts.

” The most important revenue stream for Arsenal, match day income, has actually fallen from £100 million to £95 million, despite ticket prices being raised last season.

No other leading club has been so dependent on player sales as part of its business model. In fact, over the last six years, selling the club’s stars has been responsible for £178 million (or over 90%) of the £195 million total profit. That’s great business, but it makes it very difficult to build a winning team, as Arsenal seem to be perpetually two pieces short of the complete jigsaw.”(RVP,Song etc and players bought in fall in this year’s account and are not included)

53. evonne says:

of course I can :)
    No, i didn’t ask anything awkward, just had a chat about Chesny, looked at his pictures on her phone, exchanged numbers and told her not to worry too much about her studies, just to make sure that Wojtek eats well, sleeps plenty and NO STRESS !

Morning evonne, welcome home. Did you get her to tell Sz about AA and ask her to get him to come on and leave a comment?

55. evonne says:

Hi Rasp, of course I did! She is a lovely girl and seemed completely untouched by WS’s fame. She said she will tell him about me, the AA and the advice I gave her. They moved to Hadley Woods now and are going to buy a great dane dog; they often walk in Trent, so I will more than likely see them there

Thanks evonne, I must tell you about the time a totnum loving acquantance of mine met a slightly inebriated WS and was told what he thought of our London rivals – unfortunately PML (peaches’ mum’s law) prevents me from typing it on here :P

Well played evonne! Hope you enjoyed the book.

Isn’t a pure mince steak a patty and one with bread, onions, seasoning a burger or is patty just another word for a burger? Either way, the fire and the beach thing sounds wonderful

58. evonne says:

My parting question to Sandie was ‘Wojtek is not thinking about going to another club?’ She hit the roof of the airplane and exclaimed ‘No way, he is very happy at Arsenal’ . I liked her a lot :)

PML :)

Raddy – yes, Jo Nesbo is a great author. Pity Murakami didn’t get the Nobel prize this year

I agree about both of them though needles to say Murakami is a very strange man, as you can tell from his writing!

No Arsenal news ATM apart from Theo’s getting mullered.

60. evonne says:

yes Raddy :) very strange

Poland v England tomorrow. How come we always end up in the same group in qualifiers??

evonne. Must go back to the entente in ’39. But you are right, it is peculiar.

Do you think Poland can win?

62. Gooner In Exile says:

Kelsey I realised you’d got that info from somewhere but it doesn’t correlate to the Accounts on the website.

“ticket prices for the 2011/12 season rose in line with inflation. there were 29 home fixtures (19 Barclays premier League, five uefa champions League, two e.on fa cup and three carling cup). this was one more home fixture than in the prior year and the mix of games was also more favourable, with an extra game played in the champions League, however, there was no repeat of the run to the 2011 carling cup final. As a result, matchday revenue was overall slightly higher at £95.2 million (2011 – £93.1 million)”

Confused. It may be that SwissRamble decided to extrapolate last 2010/11 income to 29 games then add the 2% increase to arrive at their £100m, even if I did that it would only be £98m.

63. Gooner In Exile says:

Evonne did you tell her what you thought of him?

64. Red Arse says:

Morning Peeps, :-)

Patties and burgers are pretty much the same thing, altho’ I have not really heard patty used over here. In NY when in a bap they are/were called hamburgers but I don’t know why — are mostly beef.

I personally prefer frankfurters which is a sausage or weiner in a bap. (Weiner is also a rude term – depending on context) :-)

65. Red Arse says:

The Accounts analysis for Matchday Income in 2011 was £93.1. In 2012 it was £95.3m.

Don’t understand Rambles comment.

66. evonne says:

GiE – I lied through my teeth :)

Raddy – absolutely NO

67. Red Arse says:

Hi Kelsey, :-)

I was not disagreeing with you. I suppose the answer is in how the Match Day revenue stream is made up.

It might be that ticket sales did fall by £5m (?) but other sales of food, drink etc may have compensated for that fall. Without detailed accounts it is difficult to square the figures to the comment – whoever said it. :-)

68. Gooner In Exile says:

Now I understand having looked at SwissRambles article he is referring to 2008/2009 income which was £100m on Matchday, which was before this godawful recession, and probably our last meaningful title tilt. And reaching the semi finals of the CL.

We actually had 32 home games that season compared to 29 last season so is it a bit of a fallacy, but does show how success on pitch puts money in the club (and luck of the FA Cup draw with three home fixtures).

If you take income per match in 2008-09 it was £3.1m, in 2011-12 it was £3.3m

Great to have you back Evonne. Fabulous story.

70. evonne says:

Micky :) I missed you lots :)
    GiE – WS has a sweet tooth, scoffes sweets as if they were pints

Morning all, welcome to Rockstar Monday ……

….. New post …..

72. simple super site i never seen such a site

73. beneficial blog i never found such a blog

74. makes me amazing excellent framing of articles rare collections found her

75. Thanks a bunch for sharing this with all folks you really kjow what you’re speaking about!
    Bookmarked. Kindly also seek advice from my website =).
    We can have a link alternate contract between us