Another Title Decider?

Chelsea’s Champions League victory in May was a travesty of justice, a victory for anti-football and the luckiest run of games ever witnessed in the annals of football history. I have rarely been so disheartened by the result of a game because it appeared the ends justified  the means. The only positive of the evening was the laugh JT gave the country as the cup was raised.

But, and here is the rub, the shame of winning with such an appalling display of negativity has had a remarkable effect upon the Southern Oilers footballing ambitions; the signing of Hazard , Moses and Oscar indicates a shift from the pragmatic to the artistic;  I hate to say this but I have enjoyed watching them this season. It is early days of course and the cold winter light may alter their footballing ethos but the signs are that Chelsea could once again be called “The Entertainers.” Who would have thought it?

Is it Abramovich or RdM who is directing this change?  Either way it is good for those of us who love attacking imaginative football.

However, before I run away with the idea that Chelsea have turned from bottom feeders into shining lights, it must be recalled who remains their club captain. Can you imagine such a reptilian character keeping the armband at Arsenal after his history of awfulness? Tony Adams went through some difficult times but found redemption, Mr Terry  has neither the will nor the gumption to follow suit. Let us hope for a repeat of last season’s comedy performance.

Then there is the odious fool Cashley. Brilliant footballer and possibly the best left back of the last 10 years but what a plum.

if a picture paints a thousand words…

I must admit to having a grudging admiration for Fat Frank – it must be pointed out that at no time has he publicly supported his “mate”. If anyone has made the most of his talent it is him and FF seems have grown up. Thankfully his star is finally waning because I cannot forget his fist pumping in front of my face at the end of the CL game at Highbury.

Rarely can a player have cost as much to club as Torres. Not the record signing fee but the need to tailor a whole team around him to prove his signing wasn’t an act of folly. One often reads that if he was playing at Arsenal then Torres would become the lethal striker he once was. Poppycock, the man is shadow of his former self. Occasional glimpses of  quality  and a few tap-ins are not the mark of a first class striker. Would you swap him for Giroud? I wouldn’t (at least not yet :-) )

So, the Blues have an array of talent only equalled by Barca and ourselves, but where are their weakness?. All over the park! They have yet to really gel as a team, they are dependent upon the midfield to score goals, the defence is aging and if Crazy Luiz (he reminds me of Crazy Ramon in Fistful of Dollars) is as “creative”as usual  there are gaps to exploit. Cech is a shadow of the keeper he was 3 years ago. They have no defensive midfield cover as Mata etc are no help, plus an over-reiance upon ObiOne Mikel will prove costly – he doesn’t have the discipline of Essien (why sell him?).

Enough of them. Let’s talk Arsenal. Early season report:. Very good but could do better. We have seen the potential of this team which allowing for good fortune with injuries, refereeing and the bounce of the ball is good enough to go all the way. If we can continue to build upon the teamwork and hard work we will win today. Why? Because we  are better than Chelsea, who let us not forget should be playing on Thursday nights. Teamwork is the key word. The triangles we have been gob-smacked by in recent weeks is entirely due to hard, hard work and of course, considerable skill.

Mr Wenger’s selection dilemma’s are in central defence and on the wings.  The return of our captain to fitness does not automatically mean a return to the starting eleven. How can you drop Koscielny after his game at the Northern Oilers? The man was superb. Mertesacker has been imperious and hardly put a foot wrong, his awareness has been vital to our defensive improvement, which is why AW bought him. Conversely, Chelsea will not be lumping long balls into the box but will rely on pace and trickery, so perhaps BFG is the man to get a rest.

The Corporal will get the biggest test of his short career. He will rarely come up against the talents of the man he will face today, Hazard is one of Europe’s finest players and regularly switches wings. How Jenkinson copes could be key to the game. Gibbs has really improved defensively and as has been pointed out tends to sit closer to his centre back. This allows for more crosses into our box but denies the runner space to cut inside (hope my poor attempt at tactics is understandable).

In midfield, can Ramsey be dropped after such an impressive outing last Sunday? Should we play 4-4-3 or the 4-4-2 which worked so well? Would you start Asharvin who looks in top form?

On the wings, Theo played midweek which indicates he will not start today, but then so did Giroud. Will they both be on the bench with The Mekon continuing centrally? Will we see O-C start on the right? It is great to have so many alternatives and that is without the return of Wilshire, Sagna and Rosicky!

The bench will be as powerful as we have seen for many seasons, though like Kelsey I worry about the lack of experienced cover between the sticks, Friedel has shown the value of  such a signing – I understand the chap below hasn’t got a club.

Mr. Arsenal

I would like to see us start fast and attack through the flanks. Some accurate long shots to challenge the visibly impaired Cech (hopefully the midday sun will be in his eyes).  Whatever happens this afternoon we should be in for a feast of football and I am deeply envious of those attending.

COYRRG

Written by Big Raddy

206 Responses to Another Title Decider?

1. TT says:

Title decider in September? Don’t think so, whom ever wins this game still has to produce for the next 7 and 1/2 months.

2. Stephen says:

For the fact dat u a gunner doesnt mean u shuld see only one side of the pics. This is a totally bias aticle geered at pleasing the fans instead of analysing tactics and keeping dem informed on what to look out for. Sry buh ds is a bad piece

3. Ogeh says:

Lampard shouldn’t play at all

4. Sav from Australia says:

Nice write up. I reckon Ramsey will play – but what do I know next to the Boss. Early match means us in Australia get to watch the match at a decent hour. Pre-match drinks have begun in Sydney!

5. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

morning all, Thanks Big Raddy..

I d love Diaby and or Arteta to get in early and give Mikel a little love kiss on the ankles ;-)

Dont underestimate Essiens understudy, he is the reason that chelsea is allowed to be so creative and carefree in attack, without him, this chelsea team would leak in goals from the likes of reading, southhampton etc. He makes Cahill and Luiz look organised in what is often a scrambled defence that lacks pace..

In saying all that, once again i believe the opponent fears us more than we fear them..I expect Chelsea to come out defensive and try keep it tight, and i believe we can beat them on the left and they know it…Gibbs and prince Poldi have amazing chemistry and will prove too strong for Ivanovics ageing legs..There is no way that Chelsea start with both Mata and Oscar along with Hazard.. (i Wish) but they know its suicide.. We have proven that we will give as good as we get..

Cant remember how long ago its been, but its soo good to have that confidence back when watching the mighty Arsenal perform, no fear and a trust in our boys and manager that they will fight, and FIGHT WE WILL..

WE ARE LONDONS BEST

WE ARE THE WORLDS FINEST

WE ARE

ARSENAL

COYRRG!!!!!!!

Stephen

Playing on the computer while nurse Ratchet is away is all well and good but you know she will be back soon so best close it down and go back to your room.

Hey BR

What’s with all this conscience malarkey, (soft spot for FF?) we need unadulterated red and white bias on days like today. The opening paragraph sets a good tone, then all that is needed is to kick and kick and kick ;)

Enjoyable read as ever, thanks.

Oh, and unchanged side from last week I reckon.

“Ex-Gunner Paul Davis also says #Arsenal coaches Neil Banfield & Boro Primorac have played part in improved defence as well as Steve Bould @alistairmagowan 16 hours ago”

Interesting

10. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Now ive read it all..Stephen reckons that Big Raddy is capable of writing a “bad piece”.. wow.. a bad pre-match? by the big man?
    Even at his “pissed best” ala “last week” that is near impossible..

@Stephen, sorry bruv but you are oh so wrong.. Thanks for trying

11. Thanks Raddy for another sublime pre-match report – it brought a big smile to my face reading it! :D

You are right in questioning the departure of Essien and what stunned me even more was Chelsea selling Mereiles. I rate them both very highly and Mereiles – in the ‘Diaby’ role – did very well for them in the first few games. He was their best player and yet they let him go but keep the limited, one-dimensional Mikel and the knackered fatso….

Enjoy the game fellow Gooners! :)

Briefly in for refreshments.
    Thanks Raddy. No Mert…I am worried about oiks like Terry homing in on corners/set pieces without the German’s height. Then again. I can’t see Torres getting much change out of Kos or Verm.
    Still reckon Ramsey will start.

13. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

@ LB, pumped for the game?

My father was telling me that back in Croatia they consider Boro Primorac to be the master tactician and clubs and countries world wide have tried to nab him, but his loyalty to Wenger and Arsenal is unquestionable (plus he loathes the limelight).. He has been by his side from day one, and ive read in many pieces that when we watch Wenger ball it is partly “Boro ball”.. I would never doubt Banfield either..This season has been a ngreat turn around and we seem to be maturing like a fine wine

Interesting comment PPP

I didn’t realise Primorac had been with Wenger from day one or as good as I suspect you mean.

15. oz gunner says:

great job as usual BR. Not sure on the essien thing either, it’s not as though they couldn’t afford his wages or anything. I’ve never rated Mikel, always thought he was a poor mans Song.

16. Bee Man says:

Walcott should start but won’t. He remains in Wenger’s dog house. Sign the new contract already, Theo!

17. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Hey Oz, i agree, or at least thats how i used to think of Mikel until they started playing him this season and im telling you that he does the simple things with no nonsense..No where near as good as Arteta and very different to Song but he reads the play well enough to allow Hazard, Mata, Oscar to constantly bombard forward without tracking back..

Not a great player, but important to Chelsea at the moment, otherwise its slow Frank or that Romeo dude…

Ps did you watch the final? Typical swans in strangling a game! They are the AFL equivalent a -lets say Sunderland…..BORING!

18. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

I believe Essien is 1 injury away from being a crock for good and Chelsea know it..Mourinho might only need him once or twice in patches depending on injuries, or maybe 5minute cameos after Alonso does the business..

He used to be a great player..

19. oz gunner says:

@ PPP

yeah he is probably past it. I’m very happy to be playing a drobga + essien-less chelsea from now on.

I did, great game! I despise there tactics but it works for them I suppose. Was great seeing the Jetta vs Rioli sprint on the wing. Rioli was none to pleased about being made to look like a fool haha

TA,

Why are you removing my comments on your new site or blocking me. Don’tyou want to to have an opinion from a founder member of AA. Guilty conscience perhaps.

21. Gooner In Exile says:

We are Chelsea’s first real test this season…take a point definitely, win it and we make a statement.

Great pre match Raddy and I agree with your team except I may start Giroud instead of Gerv….just so we can test Terry and Luiz (or better Cahill and Luiz). Movement will be the key today.

22. Gooner In Exile says:

@Stephen I missed the BBC logo at the top of the page that said we promote impartiality.

23. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

it does work for them Oz, grrr, but i think its this “blood brothers” thing they have going on that gets em over the line. They never give up! Anyway good luck to em, another season over, and now to my greatest love…the Arsenal!

Does Giroo start todays game?

Ok, any team news?
    GiE,
    I was happy with the point at City, but would be disappointed with any home draw. Won’t happen though :-)
    PPP,
    Interesting stuff on Primorac. Thanks for that.

Same team as against city except Verm comes in for Pers.

TEAM NEWS: Vermaelen back for Chelsea clash

Thomas Vermaelen has returned to the starting line-up for Arsenal’s clash against Chelsea at Emirates Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

The Gunners captain replaces Per Mertesacker at the heart of the defence, so the German international drops to the bench.

Other than that, Arsène Wenger has named the same side that drew 1-1 with Manchester City at the Etihad Stadium last Sunday.

Team in full: Mannone, Jenkinson, Koscielny, Vermaelen, Gibbs, Diaby, Arteta, Cazorla, Ramsey, Gervinho, Podolski.

Subs: Martinez, Santos, Mertesacker, Djourou, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Giroud.

27. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

i dont see why we should leave out Merts..
    He has Torres in his pocket..and our full backs are as quick as mata, hazard or sturridge for that matter..But its their movement that could sting us…For that reason Merts starts hands down, then take your pick for the other spot.. Personally, its TV5, especially for this game..Like Oz said earlier, he is hungrier in the aerial duels, and will keep Ivanovic quiet like a mouse

28. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

well there you go…its obvious that Wenger is rotating ;-) What would i know, the man should be knighted

29. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

To all you great Gooners out there, wherever you find yourself, ENJOY the game..

COYRRG!!

30. oz gunner says:

@ PPP

You’re right they don’t stop. It sucks it’s done though, one less sport to get excited about. Looking forward to the FA agency window and trade weeks ect

Surprised BFG goes out, he had all week off but I suppose with 3 gun defenders 1 has to miss out. God I hope that player micky scouted (Oscar) doesn’t pull out one of those fluke goals today.

Enjoy the game all, see you at HT when we are 2-0 up

Not happy about Mert being dropped, but then I would’nt have started Ramsey against City, and guess what, that know-it-all Wenger proved me wrong.
    We will win by two.
    Come on you Gunnnnnners

32. Gooner In Exile says:

Enjoy the game.

Great little feature on Jenkinson on Sky, finished showing the plaque at THOF. Redknapp, Souness and Hoddle all singing his praises.

Oz,
    My son is called Oscar, and I was trying to save money on not having to get shot of his Arsenal shirts with Oscar on the back :-(

34. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Gibbs is a revelation..

35. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

They’ve parked the 747…Russian propoganda!

36. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

penalty sir? obstruction, contact prick

37. kgooner says:

klights went out. Am so frustrated, ive crossed over to serene out of helplessness

38. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

on his cousin hahaha

39. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

your kidding me! time to open up, game on

40. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

purrrfect baby!!

Great match.
    We look much more dangerous with Ox out wide.
    Crowd superb.

42. Sav from Australia says:

GERVAIS!!!!!!

43. oz gunner says:

Torres scores via holding Kozzer out of the way. Slow start but boy did we kick up a gear. Jenks and Gibbs have been great once again. Going to be great seeing then player together in the England team.

Bad news for Diaby, hope it was just a precautionary move and it’s just a tweak

44. Sav from Australia says:

Why is it so hard to play Chelsea? I’m no referee, but it looks like they are constantly nibbling at the Arsenal players, but just enough that they don’t get a foul conceded.

Bastards!

45. Gooner In Exile says:

Got to admit Chelsea defend bloody well as a unit. Impressed with the spirit shown to come back, at least this week we have left the second half to get a winner.

At fault for the goal … TV (foul), Ox letting Luiz (why is he marking him …probably Diabys man) if Luiz isnt there Mannone can claim ..Koz not holding line and being pushed around by Torres, which allows deep ball to be effective.

We’ve not got hold of midfield their movement has upset our shape.

On the plus side a cracking finish by Gerv and I do like the saluting celebration (don’t know how he misses the forehead and hits his shoulder on the first two attempts tho :D )

Cazorla being well marshalled and Pod is up against a beast.

46. Gooner In Exile says:

Sav I think that’s what they call masters of the dark arts, the issue is compounded by our players being too honest on the ball trying to stay on feet, by the time the nibbler releases out player his teammate has gained ground to clean up.

47. Gooner In Exile says:

Verm needs to stay on his feet far too rash today, I do worry that our Captain is the 3rd best centre back in the club…. Arteta is most likely first name on teamsheet so I would prefer him as skipper.

It would be a risk, but Giroud for Pod would add some height. The risk being losing Pod’s workrate in tackling back.

49. Sav from Australia says:

Yeah Gooner in Exile, too true my good sir.

I hate Chelsea. But we are the Jedi and we shall over the Dark Side!

Good points GiE.

51. Sav from Australia says:

But what a ball from Ox, and Gervais cushions it so beautifully and turns and SCORES!

My life flashed before my eyes with that turn and the finish had me jumping to the roof.

Here we go. Attacking The North Bank :-)

53. Gooner In Exile says:

Sav if we win I’m nicking the Jedi metaphor for the headline to my report.

True Sav, Gerv’s first touch was sublime.

55. Gooner In Exile says:

Sweetest thing about the goal Cole forgetting to shut his legs and getting nuttsed :)

56. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

yellows are not enough for diving…ridiculous

57. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Bad defending today, in particular at set peices.. :-(

Kanu anyone?

58. Gooner In Exile says:

Vermaelen enough of the stupid free kicks!

And we need to hold a bloody line!!!!

59. Sav from Australia says:

Talk about a sucker punch.

60. Are we watching Arsenal from last season!?

Far too open and poor defensively.

61. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

gibbs is having a top top game..bout time on the subs..

62. Sav from Australia says:

Thought that was in.

All these breaks have killed momentum. We need to step it up.

64. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

just not at the races

65. Adrian says:

Piss poor.

66. Gooner In Exile says:

Really? Poor?

What was poor was two silly fouls and poor defending at two set pieces (altho an unnoticed push by Ivanovic on Gibbs means the latter doesn’t deal with it).

Other than that were Chelsea’s attack threatening us whilst the game was all square? They had possession in first twenty and they marshalled our midfield well, but did they threaten us that much? Not enough for two terrible challenges by Verm.

Did anyone see a Chelsea player dive in when we were in and around the 18? They stood up and stood off when our players were looking for contact.

Duck everyone!

Flying toys warning!!!

68. Gooner In Exile says:

And a bit of extra finishing practice for a few players and we might have won it. My guess is Cech was busier than Mannone.

69. Gooner In Exile says:

:D Rocky

70. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

SQUILLACI OUT

71. Gooner In Exile says:

Surely IN Purrfect

72. Rob Lucci says:

We miss Mert aaand…. Diaby…

I know the Ox give a lovely pass too Giroud in the final hour, but he still not ready to replace Walcott..

The difference really was two bits of poor defending.
    I do give credit to Chelsea. No bus parking and they really do press in midfield. Strangely, despite not scoring, I would like to see Giroud start.
    Feel terrible about the result though.

74. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

GiE, agreed on all accounts.. in a dire game, the few half chances we had in the final 3rd we screwed..we wernt all that sharp and we basically beat ourselves like you said…

i say lets move on quickly and learn from it..

maybe this team doesnt travel well…im upset, but my wrists are fine

I doubt we’ll play a better team this season.

I hate to say it, but the Chavs have improved leaps and bounds from the fluke team of last year. With Mata, Hazard and Torres they have a real creative heart now (and Oscar will add to that as he settles in).

Last week we were better than the champions. This week we were not as good as the current league leaders who, from what I’ve seen, are strong favourites for the title.

BUT… we still have our best player to come back and we can definitely play better.

For all AW’s talk about how the games against the big teams decide the title, I actually think that’s not true. If we can properly dispatch the smaller teams (which we failed to consistently do last season) we will be in with a real shout this year.

My only regret is that we dropped our best CB for this game. I have said that I don’t mind any pairing from our three first choice CBs, but really I think we are always better when the BFG is in the team.

I can see why AW might have thought that his pace would be an issue against Torres, Hazard etc, but – as we have discussed at length before – his reading of the game more than makes up for it.

Best team won, did they make us look poor – or are we poor?

We badly missed BFG, Koscielny was off the pace – lack of game time maybe?

Very sobering………….

Rob
    I agree about Oxo. He is a brilliant talent with boundless potential but for me he’s not a first team regular yet.

If Diaby had stayed on this would have been a very different game.

Arteta was simply outstanding again. What a player.

Gn5
    They made us look poor. But they had every single one of their first choice players available. We didn’t.

The force is with them at the moment, but I see no reason why we can’t be in a position to do them at the Bridge later in the season.

I’ve watched a fair bit of ManUre and Shitty this year and the Chavs are much better than both.

Agree with all of that Rocky. My pre-match surprise at Mert being dropped was as much my belief about CB understanding, and as such, I would have left it at alone.
    Must go and taxi children.
    One last comment: Oh…’king bollocks :-(

80. Adrian says:

The defence today seem to have reverted back to their old ways. Very soft goals conceded by set pieces and huge gaps in defence making us extremely prone to counter attacks. All this sounds way too familiar. I hope today’s poor defending is just a one off and the defence will tighten themselves up like the previous couple of weeks after a good talking to by Bould.

81. California Gooner says:

GN5, I have to disagree. Chelsea does look good and controlled the ball for long stretches in the first half. We tired late in the second half and went through a poor stretch as well. All the same, their two goals were from mistakes on almost identical set-pieces, nothing that close from open play. That is something that can be fixed in training. And we had our chances. We were not far off at all.

82. Sav from Australia says:

But while I’m still sober. WTF! They press, so what! Martin Atkinson is Chelsea’s number 1 ref, according to Untold Arsenal Ref reviews. Surely, the way they persistently foul/half-foul in midfield is up for discussion. They are miserable shits, and with better defence the points were ours.

Fuck it! Arsenal to win the league!!!

83. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

i love Vermaelen, but if our players are to take any responsibility for mistakes, and our managers pick a team based on form, than hand on my heart TV5 should not be starting next game..

His Montpellier tackle was suspect (sorry chas)
    and today he was very flat, and twice static..but in saying that, Kozzer didnt fill me with confidence..we were all flat, reminded me a little of our montpellier display….

This Diaby hiccupp..well i hope its just a hiccupp..Say what you will but i prefer Ramsey coming on later in games and never ever out wide. He genuinly narrows our width when he comes back inside for options…

84. California Gooner says:

I guess my Gooner in Exile had already offered my analysis, only more succinctly.

85. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Damn, i decide to sell Petric in my fantasy team and he goes to score against shitty from the penalty spot..

PPP
    I’m not sure you can blame Ramsey for narrowing the width. It’s a tactic that AW started using last season against the “better” sides – although usually with Benny as the “narrow wide man”.

87. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

@Rocky, im not blaming him, it just happens.Especially when he cuts back in to give himself more options either with the over lap or through ball.. Sadly, if his pass gets cut out with our full back already making an overlap run than we are left thin at the back..

Is it just me or did even Arteta seem a little off pace..Usually first to the ball, today some players were leaving him to tug at their shirts

88. Gooner In Exile says:

They just showed the replay of OGs chance, I think Cech saved it.

89. Gooner In Exile says:

Oh well City are losing to Fulham and we can watch Manure v Spuds and hope for a twenty man brawl.

PPP
    I thought Arteta had a great game – because without Diaby he was having to do most of the defensive MF work against a very strong team. He didn’t win everything, but without him they would have carved us open many times. He was also trying to contribute to the attack as well.

91. oz gunner says:

bloody hell. Unlucky not to equalize. Needed BFG that’s for sure. Alot of positives though, Arteta, gibbs and jenks played really good I thought. I hope Diaby is fine because his injury stopped all of our drive in midfield

92. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Im glad we got our one loss of the season out of the way..

What, did you lot think that we had another set of invincibles???

hahaha, thats not destined till 2013-14…

true story ;-)

93. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

@Rocky, fair call, actually your right, it was very much to do with Diaby’s contribution or lack there of.. :-(

94. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Piennars corn rolls or dreads are gone!

he is so much faster…. aerodywhat?

Arteta was the bright spot of the afternoon, above all else, he sent out the message that this damn well matters.

96. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Jelavic is a great buy..Reminds me of Bierhoff, a great header of the ball….

…even better than Chamach :-/

97. Sav from Australia says:

Thought that was in. Giroud.

98. Gooner In Exile says:

Interesting thought LB….who didn’t send out that message?

99. You cant give away goals like that against a team that can defend as well as Chelsea. Half time came at the worst possible moment for us as we had scored and were looking really bright in our movement and passing. The end of the first half was the only time we looked like we could over run Chelsea. Lots of effort and closing down but not enough fluidity and we missed Diabys legs in midfield when he went off, espescially against the counter attack.

Diaby out for three weeks “minimum” according to AW. Thigh strain.

Next four league games: West Ham, Norwich, QPR, Reading. We need 10 points from 12 from those and things will be looking good as we head off to ManUre away.

102. Gooner In Exile says:

Slim as Arsene said their second came from the first time they crossed the halfway line in the second half.

103. goonermichael says:

I thought we were rubbish

104. goonermichael says:

dirty bloody chavs and thier budgie faced wanker of a manger

GM
    First smile I’ve had since the final whistle – your reference to the “budgie faced wander” :)

Thankyou :)

106. evonne says:

I HATE CHAVS, deleted my ex-boss from Facebook friends, so he cannot rub it
    GM – I didn’t think we were rubbish. they defended deep, lots of long balls – watch Czech – how many times did he kick the balls to the other half towards Torres?

I HATE CHAVS

107. goonermichael says:

It was quite painful to be there Rocky. I had chavs sitting by me. They were only young kids but it’s really annoying when they celebrate their goals. I thought we were awful today

108. goonermichael says:

shitty just scored poo

I hate ‘em too evonne, but I thought they played well today – their movement up front in the first half was very good.

Our best period of the game was the last 10 mins of the first half. As Slim says, the half time whistle came at the wrong time for us.

I’m sure it was GM. I’ve seen AW saying we deserved at least a point – but I don’t agree.

That said, we will learn and get better and this is not the time for tearing our hair out.

If we were 16 games into the season I might be worried but I honestly thought it was a good open game between two sides who both had their moments of assertion. IMO we lost it in midfield.Santi was kept quiet and Ramsey seemed to dither too much and that sometimes slowed us down.
    Cech made two really good saves and from what I have seen so far this season,chelsea will set the bench mark.

A draw would have been a fair result,but all is not lost., I saw some periods of really good play.

Half time came to soon for us when we really had the momentum.
    Gibbs and jenkinson and gervinho are improving with every game. Kos may be blamed by many as pers wasn’t playing,but none of us know if he would have made the difference.

It’s always hard to make the right subs especially when chasing the game and today it didn’t quite work and The Ox suffered.

We are maybe just a couple of really good players away from the multi million £ Chelsea team that turned out today.

I remain optimistic.We certainly weren’t rubbish. i think some of the more passionate fans just didn’t like losing to Chelsea :)

112. Here we go again, back to being nervous when we give away free kicks and corners :(

Poor Gervinho scores a fantastic goal and we give away two cheap goals.

But something was different/missing today in our play and even though Giroud could have equalised it wouldn’t have taken away the doubts that surfaced again about our defending :( :(

113. Gooner In Exile says:

Well said Kelsey

114. goonermichael says:

I’m optimistic too Kelsey. There was quite a bit of dithering though.

115. Hi kelsey – Rasp and I were saying, as we walked away from the game, how it’s in games like this that you realise the differential between the clubs that can splash the cash and us who can’t. There’s no reason why Hazzard or Oscar wouldn’t want to play for us except the money.

In truth they played like us today, very neat passing, close control, didn’t create too much except they are such cheats :lol:

116. Illybongani says:

Two of the done deals did us today, I thought. Mata and Hazard who should have been wearing red today bossed the midfield today. Not a great deal in it though, so not devastated about the result. We won’t win the league this year but we’ll be closer than last year.

And I think it’s time to realise Diaby just doesn’t have physiological strength to play at the highest level. He obviously has some kind of defect with his muscle mass. It happens too often for it to be bad luck. Time to let him go. Shame – could’ve been a good’un.

117. goonermichael says:

The bfg was missing Peaches. I though if we’d been a little bit sharper we could’ve stuffed them.

118. evonne says:

yes Kelsey, that’s how i found it. Why was Diaby subbed so early and why didn’t BFG play today?

119. Illybongani says:

Oh yeah, I make that 5 points Giroud has cost us with his misses so far. One today, two against Stoke and two against Sunderland.

120. goonermichael says:

Hazard was never going to be wearing red. Diaby will keep getting minor setbacks. jack will too for a while

Does anyone want me to put up a youtube clip of the goals?
    Definately something to talk/moan about :-(

122. I agree gm, very disappointed that he didn’t play. I did whisper this morning whether de Matteo’s tactics would get the better of AW.

123. goonermichael says:

Illy
    were you walking in front of me down Gillespie road? That’s what someone else was saying. Why pick on him? we conceded 2 before he came on. Santi missed a good chance too.Our defence cost us the points.

I am no medical man but there obviously is some muscle deficency with Diaby, Today it was his thigh,evonne.

Sorry Illy, but I’m going to stick up for my man Giroud. As Kelsey said: “Giroud is already becoming a scapegoat but he is getting in the right place time and time again and he will come good.”
    He does need to start games as far as I’m concerned.

126. evonne says:

at least scumbag Terry got a lot of stick

draw for scum? or do we want them to lose?

127. goonermichael says:

It was really nice to meet up BTW. I’m still really glad I went.

128. evonne says:

i didn’t even got to snog Chas, with so many people around :)

How many misses did Bedtner and Chamakh cost us. give the guy a chance he will come good.

Dont agree GM, the midfield lost us the game. Their second wasn’t exactly a direct strike.I think we are over analysing things. Suddenly this one and that one are bad players.We are over critical because we watch every moment any of our players make.

I could say Ramsey is an in and out player and I can’t remember when he last tested a keeper with a shot. (But I won’t :) )

130. Here’s a scary thought …… Bouldy gets the defending up to speed and everyone is waxing lyrically about how good it is that AW is giving him the reigns when AW suddenly realises that his own desire to deal with poor defending is thus being questioned and quickly snatches the reigns back :( :( :(

Tough question there Evonne. I’m going with GiE’s 20 man brawl for starters. 2 point deduction each seems fair, and a non-career threatening injury to Brave, and someone to set fire to Monkey Boy’s fur, and……

132. goonermichael says:

Fair enough kelsey but both goals came from set pieces that should have been defended better

133. evonne says:

yes GM, was good to see you too :)

134. goonermichael says:

135. goonermichael says:

Rasp was right about it being difficult to read the game from the front row behind the goal. I couldn’t tell how far forward we were from where I sat.

136. evonne says:

DidIt – bollox to non-career threatening injury to R$P, I want him dead! You should hear the Chavs singing about him today

137. goonermichael says:

evonne that was the same song that the coventry fans sang. Everyone will sing it

138. goonermichael says:

Your hair looked lovely BTW evonne x

139. evonne says:

it hurts like hell GM, how could he do that to us?

Giroud will be good, excellent for us, he’s just nervous

Would Szczesny save those goals?

140. evonne says:

GM :) i know it didn’t, but I did my best knowing you’d be there :)

Come on Illy – OG only cost us that many points if you expect him to have a 100% goals to chances ratio. Even BSR only got 1 in 4.

1 in 4 of the one’s he got on target.
    Look how long Chelsea have waited for Torres to come good. Thing with OG is that we know from his record he can score, but he needs the pressure removed by being guarranteed a four match run. Its as much about the understanding with the players around him as anything, and that is impossible to cultivate as a bit part player.

143. evonne says:

i just went to hung the washing out!! Good lads scummers, who scored?

I thought we deserved a draw.
    The chavs diving was embarrassing as was our defending from their cheaply won free-kicks.
    We scored the best goal and the spawn that Cech had near the end was ridiculous.

145. evonne says:

Gallas kicked the traitor in the ankle, hard :)

yes darling, I don’t agree with GM that we were rubbish, not at all

How many saves did the 2 goalkeepers make today?

Chas
    The most embarrassing dive of the day was from the Corporal.

Mind you, he did grow up watching Eboue.

True Rocky, I have been preending no-one else saw that.What’s more, I was about to promote him directly to Major at that point.

pretending

Yuk, Spuds ahead. They’d go above us with a win. Brawl time.

150. evonne says:

and ROFL not ROLF :)

151. evonne says:

at least Irish can blog with us again

152. evonne says:

and 2 nil to scum! a draw it is then

153. evonne says:

has Bale had an ears job??? they look smaller

154. evonne says:

no Evonne, it is his head that grew bigger

Kelsey
    “If we were 16 games into the season I might be worried but I honestly thought it was a good open game between two sides who both had their moments of assertion”

Spot on.

156. evonne says:

Manyoo need to substitute the ref, it actually was a penalty :)

Very disappointed with the résult.

Is it worth watching the whole game?

Can’t believe the MU score

I would rather be us than ManUre this year.

BR
    Now you know the result you should definitely watch the whole game. I, for one, would be very interested in your take on it.

I felt the Chavs were the better team overall but we had some good moments – but fresh eyes with advance knowledge of the result… always interesting.

159. goonermichael says:

I’ve just looked at the spuds score

Breakfast viewing after the golf tonight.

I had a feeling we would not win which is why I bigged up Chelsea.

161. Anyone else pleased that United are losing to Spurs?

Afternoon all, a disappointing game. I agree with peaches RdM won the tactical battle. The chavs controlled the midfield and outpassed us. We became shy of the ball at times in the 2nd half.

Having said that Giroud could have become a hero if he’d struck that late chance first time instead of trying to take the ball round the keeper.

Can anyone tell me who got thee assist for Gerv’s goal?

163. evonne says:

i am Slim :) still think it will be a draw

164. pretty sure it was Ox.

Rasp
    We lost Diaby after about 15 mins – that had an effect on the MF battle.

166. Wouldnt surprise me Evonne. Remember the 5-3 about 10 years ago when Spurs led 3-0 at half time!?

Rasp,
    I sent it at 17.59. :)

ha, can’t believe I’m enjoying that goal.

169. This is a cracking game!

Thanks chas, I’l have a look.

Hi rocky, I didn’t think we looked any better when Diaby was fit and on the pitch. Both Diaby and Ramsey were too ponderous on the ball. Santi had an off day as far as his shooting is concerned but nice to see such a great finish from Gerv.

Come on manu, we need you to draw with the totts or they go above us in the table :(

Why did we have Djourou and the BFG on the bench and not a sub holding midfielder.
    Surely Le Coq would have been ideal to replace Diaby?

173. evonne says:

chas – read Peaches at 5:09, hardly plausible, but the only explanation there

174. evonne says:

can’t score when he wants,
    can’t score when he wants…brave sir robin
    can’t score when he wants

good night all xx

What is evident from today is that there will be many twists this season. Everton look good as do spurs. Today is a big win for them and their defence looks very good.

Bsr had a golden chance and smashed it wide. Anonymous apart from that.

Baayel has had plastic surgery, he looks almost human.

177. goonermichael says:

That dutch twat’s miss was much worse than Giroud’s

178. goonermichael says:

I’m glad that the spuds won.

179. evonne says:

wash your mouth GM

180. Rob Lucci says:

i’m too evonne.. :-) watching manu lost is better than spuds to be honest.. although a draw and bsr injury is much more preferable tonight..

Good Evening

Thanks for the post Raddy.

Obviously very dissapointed with the result. We lost the tactical battle today. There is no doubt that Budgie is very good at analysing his oppenents and formulating tactics to win matches. Chelsea are a class outfit, what do you expect with all that money thown at there team.

We are very close to the top teams. Its no longer a question of ability, though maybe we do need an additional top class striker. Its more a question of maturity and belief in the way we want to play the game. Allow me to explain this view. We have tremondous ability but are still lacking experience in certain areas. Allied to this we have a philosophy of playing that despite changes to the line up remains the same, fundamentaly its pass and move with the purpose of unlocking our rivals defences by playing through there lines.

The maturity question will be answered very quickly. the emergence of Chamberlin and Wilshere as world class players is around the corner. The effectivness of our style of play will follow shortly after. it is world class and mature players playing within our system that will improve the effeciency of our game.

It is a case of when rather than if we emerge as the best team. We are making big strides on and off the pitch and i know that our time as Champions is coming and it could even be this season.

Keep the faith.

I would have preferred a draw and at least 25 long trrm injuries

I would have prefered a Utd win. Tottenham are my sworn enemy and i have no time for logic and reason on this matter.

I wish upon them destruction at the hands of a rather large Humming Bird.

BR
    How was the Viking ruin?

185. goonermichael says:

I’d rather the spuds win as I don’t see them as a threat. we have to finish above the mancs to have any chance of the title

Once you’ve seen one you’ve seen them all but thanks for asking

187. Illybongani says:

I suppose Vassicki Diaby’s injury will mean Wilshere will return sooner than planned. I thought for a minute or two that in 2 weeks time Arsene would be able to pick from a full squad for the first time since…ever! Guess not then.

No way will AW rush Wilshire back. He will surely use Ramsey, Coquelin or Ox in midfield with Theo starting on the right.

There are solutions.

189. goonermichael says:

I think Coquelin will get some games.

190. goonermichael says:

Just watched motd highlights and feeling less emotional. We could have easily have won that.

191. goonermichael says:

i enjoyed seeing Geronimo’s goal again. I love him

192. goonermichael says:

photo/1

Thanks for the link GM. I could not agree with Neville more. I was alluding to the same points in my earlier post. With a little bit more maturity and belief, and that will come, and a changing financial climate in our favour we will soon be unstopable.

Think I’m getting a man crush on Gary Neville. That is a very good article.

See, I told you that earlier GM.;)

In theory if we had swopped keepers we most probably would have won. The Italian does his best but it has always been said a class keeper will save you ten points a season.

Even a bright sunny Sunday morning can’t raise my spirits.

Want to swop,Raddy.

Not today kelsey, but later in between Jan and May certainly.

199. VCC says:

GM 11:29. Like you I hated him as player but imo he is the best pundit on the box.

On reflection I’m not too despondent about our defeat yesterday, after watching highlights we matched them and deserved at least a draw.

Neville,s comments about belief is spot on.

Kelsey, your so right about a top keeper. I’m sure we would have pulled a draw at least yesterday with decent guy between our sticks, and unfortunately Koscielny had an off day, we all have them. I think he will have nightmares watching the replays.

Onwards and upwards Gooners.

200. Gooner In Exile says:

Oooh tickets available for Wednesday night….who is going?

Morning all …….

…… New post …….

202. thank you for posting such a good article in this bog, the blog appearance was good

203. very interesting articles