Should Arsenal Sell Walcott?

Do you remember the game against Liverpool when young Theo slalomed his way from our own half past what seemed like the whole of the Liverpool team to set up the late equaliser? Tell me you weren’t jumping up and down when that was happening?

Do you also remember a similar run against Milan in the San Siro? Could we really live with ourselves if he moved and started producing runs like that on a consistent basis for someone else? Or worse, could we live with ourselves if he moved and had the opportunity to play more centrally and started scoring for fun. There is little doubt in my mind that he is a better finisher than Gervinho. One on one, it has to be said that Theo is quite clinical. He scored 12 goals last season, set up untold amounts of assists for BSR and yet many Arsenal supporters remain unhappy with him.

In fact, I would say that the last time all Arsenal faithful were united in support of Walcott was when Chris Waddle accused him of not having a football brain. Does that description above bring to mind a player without a football brain? What does that expression mean anyway? My interpretation is that he acts like a puppy with a ball more often than he should; that is to say, when he is moving at speed and the ball is played to his feet he either trips over it or runs past it, both are characteristics of a puppy to my mind.

However, play it in front of him into open space and that is a different story – few are better. But, as we all know, open space in the EPL is a rare commodity, far more teams come to the Emirates and park the bus than arrive with the intention of attacking in an attempt to win that way. We have seen it a thousand times before, teams park the bus and try and hit us on the break. The latest frustration we have to suffer is goal keepers still wasting time even when they have gone a goal down. Someone tell me how does that work?

The most sensible view is surely that it is better to have Walcott than not to have him. Hhhmmmm, or is it?  Would we be better of without attackers such as Arshavin, Chamakh and Walcott eating up valuable wages and replace them with one proven out and out goal scorer?

Falcao anyone?

Written by LB

226 Responses to Should Arsenal Sell Walcott?

Sharkey,
    He’s like that, Rasp is :-)
    Looking forward to this post. I’ve seen the question (I have an answer) and I’ve noted the Author. Will I be changing my mind?
    A wiser Didit to return shortly.

2. Gooner In Exile says:

LB an interesting question.

If we set aside football side of things and take his recent interview as not adapted or misquoted etc should we allow a player to sign a new contract that hasa caveat saying “only if I play up top”. For me he can’t be allowed to dictate so selling is the only option.

Now secondly, both Pod and Swerve have found goals from wide areas this season. The way Giroud plays requires the wide players to make angled runs towards the goal. He has left a hole and a run into the gap will result in chances for the wide players.

So Theo doesn’t need any caveat he needs to find a way to get in goal scoring positions more often.

Now back to football rather than “I want this”…..undoubtedly he gives for the team going forward, but does he give us enough going back? If the answer to that is no, then sell him. I’m sick of players who don’t understand football is as much about what you do without the ball as with it.

If players need a role model for this…there are three in our squad, Podolski, Cazorla, Arteta. Follow their lead and yes Theo can have a future.

Following on from 26 match report yesterday the reason Cazorla can play No10 and Arshavin can’t is that desire to win the ball back, and be the first to try rather than leave it to others.

3. charybdis1966 says:

Mornig all and a very timely post concerning a very topicla issue.
    In a word London, I say no, however the chap in front of me at the Saints game was very keen to say “F**k off Theo or sign up”.
    It will send out completely the wrong message by another first teamer leaving so soon after VanJudas and Dmitri.
    And I will cause further unpopularity(especially with Mr S Sure) by saying I would like the Meerkat to stay as well.
    I’ll get my coat…

4. tom says:

No!!!! I don’t know how far apart they are in their contract negotiations but Wenger shoul do everything to try to resign him. Out of all players who have left Arsenal recently , Theo has something other didn’t have . Speed kills ! , and when Theo is on he can stretch defences. I know he can be infuriating sometimes but he is still young and there is a lot of room for improvement. Thiery Henry didn’t hit his stride until he was twenty five . Keep him!

5. VCC says:

Nice thought provoking LB.
    I would keep Walcott, but would use him as a super sub, ala Fairclough of Liverpool many years ago.
    He could be dynamite for us in the last quarter of games.
    My fear he would not settle for this though.
    You mention parking of the bus by many teams at the Emirates……Now we have a muscular type centre forward in Giroud I think it would work if Wenger told him to hug the touchline and get crosses in (assuming he practises for 100 years on his crossing skills, lol). With so many defenders in and around the box we could afford the luxury of a player in this position. It is surely worth a punt every now and then. I know it’s not pretty football, but needs must some times.

Fine post sir.

6. johnnie nyc says:

i’m afraid we’ve already left it too late. cant get much in January, nothing after that. im not worried about his wages, as much as him taking up minutes where i’d rather see, gerv, pod, giroud, ox(no room in midfield for him)- maybe Gnabry, eisfeld, miyaichi. as u said, theo’s kind of useless in a large percentage of matches because of the bus —
    as far as him being a striker — that experiment should have been started a year ago in the carling cup. —-
    our success this season is based on pod, ox, gerv, giroud, tracking back and helping on defense..Walcott doesnt deserve that playing time. if Arsene doesnt think he can cut it NOW as a striker, he will have to go i guess.. we should have sold him before getting in this position..i would have preferred Moses, Mirallas( he might have come if we could have given him playing time on the wing and striker )- i would take Sturridge over walcott any day also, and he could play in our shifting front three..we could have still come away with a profit with those players— Falcao will never happen, im sorry to say. – but im hoping for Huntelaar. what do u think?

7. Stan says:

TW14 is still very young and he can be very frustrating a times and inconsistent, yes and I oppose his close to 100k pw but I really want arsenal to sign him up cos he can be a joy to watch on his day. It’s not like we have too many strikers up front anyway, so I’d suggest he should be given a chance and I think “Arsene What”, will give him a chance.

My gut feeling is to sell him. He could be another Vela. If he was consistant on a regular basis and was on an agreed wage that suited both parties maybe not. Play him centrally against Coventry or cut in centrally is not the same as against the big boys.

He has pace and his shooting has improved,but he can’t tackle or head a ball and still doesn’t look up enough when crossing the ball and he is easily dispossessed, So on balance either sell him in January or play him regularly, but I have a feeling the new even more ruthless side of AW has already made up his mind on Theo unless he tows the line.

9. Gunner says:

I hope they keep Theo, all the F**ckers that get on his case should try and do what he does and then come again. THEO DONT GO!!! AW DONT DO SHIT RESIGN HIM NOW!!

Very good post LB, thanks.
    Gosh, errr and umm.
    On hearing of his contract demands in the summer, I did refer to him as a “little shit”, and I apologize for that.
    I attend 6 or 7 games a season, and for the last few years have pretty much seen Theo play on every occasion. Almost without fail, I moan to myself about his off the ball movement, which is awful, and largely explains that despite our plethora of pass-masters, there are all too few occasions when Theo makes it possible for our midfield wizards to thread a good ‘un to our little speedster.
    It would appear that AW has either changed his mind about starting Theo, or is simply waiting on the outcome of negotiations. Theo cannot earn more than definitie starters. His stats are good, and he will see himself as a first choice player either at Arsenal or elsewhere.
    There are plenty of games where we do not play bus-parkers, so he has a value.
    My conclusion is that if he is happy to stay and fight for his place at the offered wages, then great. I cannot see it happening though, and reckon he’ll be off to guarranteed football and big wages.
    One question, why has no acceptable team (acceptable to Theo) made an offer? Or did they?

Good question, LB.

Your analysis that he’s quite clinical in front of goal and yet he’s like a puppy tripping over the ball just about sums him up as a player.

Everyone could see from the start that Theo had a great talent. The question was whether this would develop into a consistent ability to produce those high quality performances we all know he’s capable of. Season after season goes by and the jury is still out.

I can’t ever see a time when Wenger will trust Theo with the main goalscoring responsibility for the Arsenal and playing a standard three up front would demand this. In a more mobile front three as we played against Soton, it could work.

Not selling him just in case he suddenly starts playing consistently for someone else has now been taken out of our hands with his contract ticking down.

Either way, I still think he’ll have a great season for us. :)

12. YES YES YES for £50m! If less, keep him at all costs: we need his goals and assists – it’s a no brainer.

Cheeky, clever post LB! :)

The Puppy! LOL :P

And they call it puppy love……..

13. lance says:

theo is useless. we can count the good runs he had for the club. the fact that we can do that is the reason to sell him. he is in the same category as bendtner , self proclaimed greatness. perfect example of him being lost was when he was brought on against city he was all lost. we have gone 8 years no trophies we cannot be hoping for players to come good anymore. we have better players in the squad use them.

Chas,
    “In a more mobile front three” could be key. With Brave, it was set in stone. His Royal Braveness central, with Gerv and Theo wide, but as you say, the fluidity between Pod, Swerve and Theo does suit Theo alot more.
    I agree with Kelsey that AW has probably made up his mind, and that as Johnnie said the clock may have chimed, what with being into the final year and whatnot.
    Sorry LB,
    Forgot to answer your “Falcao?”.
    Answer: “Oh alright, if we have to!”

I must say, alarm bells were well and truely cloching when AW picked Ramsey ahead of Theo the other day in a quasi 4-4-2 against City. Now, here was an attacking side that I would have thought Thoe was built for.

Truely Thoe
    Never mind eh!

TA,
    Bloody knew you were a Donny Osmond man :-)

Or was it Jimmy?
    And how is it I even know their names?

19. Wonderman says:

Very thought provoking LB. I have chopped and changed on my opinion on Theo. But in agreement with GIE, we can’t have players coming out publicly demanding assurances before they sign/resign, what next Chesser demanding to play Centre Forward ?

Ironically, I can’t see many top 4/5 teams in Europe playing him as a central striker so I don’t see that he has much bargaining power in retaining his standard of team.

I think we should rest him and teach him how to a) contribute to his team defending b) make penetrating runs when space is limited

20. Gooner In Exile says:

By the way the chance to sell him was lost two summers again, once with a two years or less to go Theo was only going to leave on his terms.

Afterall he has the option to turn down any proposed buyer, and he will consider his earning potential going forward. He has a chance to sign a very lucrative contract if he leaves on a free. And maybe his wage demands are somewhere in between what we have offered and what a City or Liverpool are prepared to offer (without a transfer week).

If Theo is worth £10m that’s £50k a week on a four year deal, on top of whatever his expected wage is (say £75k per week). So he could be on £125k per week at his next club and both parties will be very happy. His age puts him in this position of power, and we can’t complain having done that to Spuds for Sol.

There was a Marie and another bloke with big hair and another one who looked like an extra from Deliverance. Crazy Horses had a decent guitar riff though….

LB. Thanks for the post. I have been thinking about this since the contract raised it’s ugly and boring head.

My answer s the same as TA’s. Kepp him if he is willing to fight for a place otherwise take what money we can. We have seen the future with O-C, Gnabry and Ryo coming through. Pacewill not be a problem.

However, having seen Theo’s finishing on Weds perhaps he has a point abut playing centrally. As has been said he is far more clinical than Gervinho.

To encapsulate …. I don’t know

Morning all

I do, of course, realise that the chances of Falcao coming to THOF are only slightly better than me playing for the Good Guys. But hey ho, that was one of those little add ons I couldn’t resist.

As for Theo, there have been some good points made this morning that hadn’t crossed my mind which is surprising when you consider how much we have flogged this topic.

I liked the point from Kelsey that Wenger has almost certainly already made up his mind what he intends to do with him.

Makes a great deal of sense.

My guess is that he will go rather than sign a new contract.

23. evonne says:

What kind of question is that LB? Of course not, he is very good, not brilliant like some of other players in the team, but much much better than an average player. AND he wants to stay, which is a nice change from ‘I want to go’ shite we have heard so much lately.

Falcao? We could do with him tomorrow, he has already demolished the Chavs once this season

oh yeah, lovely post, ta very much

Nothing from the accountants on the published accounts? We had the succinct lawyers version (no fee- no talk ….. don’t mean it 26, I am sure your days are filled with pro bono work)

Ahh, the Seventies, when men were men.

26. charybdis1966 says:

Nah, too much like work Big and Randy. Like the Chancellor of the Exchequer once said “I struggle with numbers” :)

27. Gooner In Exile says:

Raddy we have only had the PR spin so far, the accounts are not yet on the website, when they are I’m sure those of us so inclined will have a good look at the numbers rather than the headline numbers which obviously look good.

The main question will be what happened to the footballing loss, how was the extra profit generated (Prizes – unlikely, Corp Spomsorship – more likely, player sales – most likely). The problem is those sales gave us the money to spend what we did last summer, unfortunately the way of accounts means the gains on sales are recorded immediately whereas the costs of acquisitions are expensed over the life of contracts. (The costs of most of our sales were minimal compared to money in so distorts profit).

“Pro Bono”?
    That’ll be Evonne, surely.

29. charybdis1966 says:

Or “Pro Boner”, that’ll be glic.

30. Hi Evonne, that first paragraph sums it all up perfectly (at 11.02): you could not have been more to the point. :)

I am not sure whether Arsene has made his mind up, Kelsey/LB. It looks like his plan-A is (was?) Giroud as our attacking pivot in a 4-3-3, but he has also seen that a fluid-three: three out of Gervinho – Podolski – The Ox or Theo is working well for us. As others have pointed out, Theo could fit very well a fluid-three, including in the middle. So what is Arsene going to do, and has he indeed decided yet?

Will he stick religiously to Giroud as the pivot, or will he move towards a fluid-three in the majority of the games, or will he alternate depending on our opponents/availability of players?
    Je ne sais pas, but I am sure we’ll find out in the next few months.

Look here Daddy, Bono is either some idiotic world saving Irish popster or a bleeding dog. I know exactly what you’re getting at you filthy minded historian.

TA,
    All good points. One thing is for certain is that at the moment neither England or Arsenal Managers see Theo as an automatic starter. Unlike Theo himself, I imagine.

33. evonne says:

Micky!!!! STOP, you are too much today :)

TA – cheers, are you coming to London tomorrow?

I feel like a stranger on my own blog (sort of) have a nice day one and all

Allo, allo, allo, where’s the Raddy comment gone. Who’s at the controls today?

Good thought provoking post LB. I would sell him only if he doesn’t sign up, as then we really have no choice. If he signs I would be happy but he does need to start playing more as a striker rather than a wide player.

I don’t understand some of the negative comments and thoughts of Arsenal fans as highlighted with some comments today. Amongst others are statements about him being “useless”, being another Vela, and that he shouldn’t be played ahead of Gnabry, Myaichi and Eisfeld. I like these 3 young raw players but really!!! Others feel he is only good enough to be a supersub.

Lets be fair and get it in the open, anyone who is passing negative judgement on Theo is only able to do it by assessing his input as a wide player and not as a striker. The times I have seen him taking up the strikers positions he has looked every inch the finisher for me, and more so seems to be becoming increasingly clinical in front of goal over the last 2 seasons. Some of you are dismissing his ability to be a striker with analysis on his ability to head a ball and his strength on the ball. I would say fair enough but he is hardly going to improve his headed goal stats and ability while out on the bloody wing so it is pointless to even make assumptions on that at this stage. I would refer to Michael Owen who in his prime was not exactly a physical striker. He was small but a good header of the ball, not when in direct competition for a ball with a bigger defender, but in his ability to find space between defenders and then apply a clinical header if the opportunity arose. Theo would have to work on this in a similar way to Owen, but once again he can’t do this until he is played regularly in the forward position, so it is pointless dismissing him as not having the ability to do well at this part of a strikers role. I sometimes feel some Arsenal fans seem to have Cristal balls that allow you to see 2 seasons into the future and see Theo as a failed striker. Put the Cristal balls away. Even if you turn out to be right we need to find out rather than guess at it.

I don’t see any problem with him and Giroud alternating this role this year as they would both bring different strikers qualities to the table. Some mention we should have done it last year and I agree with that, but it doesn’t mean we can’t still do it this year. I do potentially see a good striker in him but we will not know until it is tried out. If he goes somewhere else and plays that role and starts to look a 25 goal a season striker all the Arsenal fans that panned him and were so keen to get rid of him will look pretty stupid. I can just hear the Spuds bloggers taunting us all now for our idiotic assumptions and lack of football understanding, and Martin Samuel and his Cheshire Cat grin above an article about how the ever increasingly inpatient Arsenal fans didn’t realise what they had in Theo and were far too quick to dismiss him. At the end of the day if we sign him up and try him as a striker and it doesn’t work we can then sell him and get money back to re-invest. Selling him before we really know what he could become just seems idiotic to me.

I binned it :-)

Sorry for my childish riposte.

38. madaki makama says:

there’s no way arsenal can afford lose a player like walcott. d coach should give him a trial upfront cos he is gud n willing 2 play 4 arsenal.

39. Agreed Micky, the only guaranteed starter in attack is the Pod at the moment.

No Evonne, I wish I was but have family commitments tomorrow. Just enough time to watch the game on TV though! :)

40. GoonerB, that is a very fine comment! :)

Raddy,
    I didn’t see it as childish. Oh dear, what does that say about me? :-)

42. evonne says:

see you tomorrow monster :)

Gooner B,
    Good comment.
    What really adds to my confusion is that Arsene has said himself he sees Theo playing central one day.
    Has he changed his mind I wonder, or is it still in his plans?

Gooner B. Fine comment but I must point out that in no way was I suggesting any of the kids mentioned are ready to take his Theo’s place. But in 3 or 4 years time, who knows?

As you say to sell him now would be idiotic as was the decision not to start contract extension at the beginning of last season.

Morning all, thanks for the post LB – I’ve just added a poll at the end so if you’d all like to go back to the top and register your vote we will see what popular opinion prevails.

Personally I’d definitely like to keep him but the cynic in me does wonder whether the ‘play me up front statement’ was similar to BSR’s and was just a way of saying I can’t stay because I want guaranteed first team football as a striker …. hopefully that is not the case

Micky. My concern was for the fall out …..

Off out. Back for some banter in a few hours.

…Place your vote in the poll added to the bottom of today’s post ………

Theo played like a player worth at least £75 a week against lowly Coventry, if he could replicate that level of performance consistently and against top prem opposition he’d be worth £90k a week providing that doesn’t cause disquiet amongst his teammates.

Sagna obviously feels he’s worth more, we don’t want a domino effect of escalating wage demands.

£75 a week. ROLF

Seriously though Rasp, if he is behind Gerv, Pod, Ox and even Ramsey in the pecking order, he cannot be paid more.

What would Podolski be on wagewise?

52. keys says:

I dont know why Wenger likes playing players out of their normal position and when they complain, they become the club’s enemy. Ebue, Bentner and Arshavin lost form because of where he kept playing (wings). Every one knows Theo is a better finisher than Gerv but Gerv is given the chance up front, why not Theo? He also has the pace that scares any CB. Besides, we have only one recognised CF.

Hi Micky, I forgot to add the (k) :? I agree he’s not worth more than the majority of regular first teamers. I don’t know what Corp Jenks gets but I’d guess no more than 30K

Rasp.
    I’d vote for
    See how this season pans out before making a decision on him. :)

I can’t remember where the Corporal Jenkinson came from.
    Can anyone enlighten me?

Hi chas,

I think if we let Theo get past the Jan window without either signing or selling him, he’ll go on a free at the end of the season for much higher wages than we will be prepared to offer

£75 per week, what a great put down, lol.

You have a point, Rasp.

We shouldn’t offer him the money he’ll get on a free and shouldn’t play him at CF to make him sign a new contract.

So if doesn’t sign what’s on offer, sell him.

Freudian slip LB :roll:

I’ve actually warmed considerably to Theo since my rant at you at half time at the Ems last season. I think in the new set up with a more positive attacking force and a midfield maestro, we will see more of the good Theo if he stays …. but he must accept just being part of an exceptionally talented squad.

60. 26may1989 says:

Nice one LB.

Apols, long response.

Should we sell Theo? To me, there are two distinct and perhaps contradictory issues wrapped up in that question: (1) are we in a position to sell a player already in the last year of his contract and (2) on a footballing level, is Theo good enough to want to keep?

(1) As others have observed, AFC have almost no negotiating position, in relation to either the player or potential buyers. At best, we’d get a few million if we tried to sell in January. But many clubs would prefer to wait till June and try to get the player for free. Theo’s agents have played a smart game, and there is nothing the club could have done about that. The wonder is that more players don’t adopt the same strategy.

I don’t criticise the club that Theo has got to his last year, it’s unrealistic to think that a player can be forced to negotiate when he and his agents don’t want to. And likewise, you can’t force a sale on a player. All the club can do is try to negotaite in the 2-3 year period, and then take calculated gambles on what will and what won’t happen.

There is now a strong commercial impetus on AFC to get him to sign a new contract, so that, at the very least, there is a real asset to sell. That might mean the club and the player do a Ronaldo, with an extension being signed on the understanding he will be sold fairly quickly. But even that would require a pay-off for the player, so as to compensate for the loss of Bosman advantages.

So, to answer my own question, I don’t think AFC have much of a position on selling the player if a new contract is not signed soon: either they sell him at a massive loss and discount on his market value (assuming Theo would comply, which he may not), or they hang on till summer 2013 in the hope a deal can be done.

(2) On the football side, I’m with TA. Theo has a lot to offer and, for all the flaws, we’d be weaker without him. I hope that future prospects like Miyaichi and Eisfeld and Gnabry develop into great players, but they are a long, long way from being the proven article. If we lost Theo, we’d have to replace him.

We all have our hobbyhorses, me included, but some Arsenal fans decided some time ago that Theo is a lost cause and whatever he does on the pitch, he is consistently criticised. I’m not saying everyone approaches things that way or that Theo is not deserving of some criticism, but when I think back to the easy rides that were afforded to some players when they put in low effort, very ordinary performances (e.g. Cesc and van Persie on numerous occasions), and I compare that to Theo, whose performance last season was excellent, I can only conclude that Theo doesn’t get a fair crack a lot of the time. I think looked at objectively, Theo is a good and dangerous player, someone who adds to our squad in a meaningful way.

Is he worth £100k a week (if that’s what he’s asking for)? Probably not. Is he a nailed on starter? No, but then in this age of the squad, I think that is true of almost everyone in the attacking portion of the team.

But lose him and we’d miss him, doubly so if he went to another English club.

PS: Falcao? Yes please!!! Never happening, but if we did get him, we really would be a major force.

That’s a cunning plan chas – but we can’t be sure what he’ll be offered by other teams. If city wanted him it could be anything, the chavs would probably go to £125k ish and pool about £100k I suspect.

If it’s all about the money with Theo, he’ll probably go I’m afraid.

Agreed Rasp.

The Corporal Jenkinson name started on the Tuesday Club podcast apparently. I can’t listen to that anymore. Alan Davies used to make me laugh, now he just gets on my tits.

Superb comment 26.

When I heard that Wenger and Walcott had come to an agreement for him to stay I was worried. I feared that Wenger, in the hope of getting Theo to sign, would feel obligated to pander to him in the form of playing him when other options would be more suitable. I have been very surprised and pleased by just how ruthless Wenger has been.

I can’t get that Osmond’s song out of my head.

One bad apple…….aahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

65. charybdis1966 says:

Got my ticket for the Schalke game, 7 rows from the front, behind the clock end goal. This time I’ll turn up in time for some pre match alcohol…..barely had time to look at Peaches legs last time :(

Four votes for “Not bothered”!
    Sorry, but how can you be “ain’t bovvered” either way?
    Terms and Conditions, I get.

I received my season ticket holders pack this morning.
    The Arsenal earphones are really really poor quality. You would think the club wouldn’t want to be associated with such garbage.
    I’m surprised.
    The shorter So Paddy Got Up special edition is very good though.

68. charybdis1966 says:

Still haven’t got mine yet Chas; my boys got their junior gunners packs a fortnight ago.

Very well put together Post LB.

That vid of Theo’s run at Anfield just makes me sad, because I remember what followed :(

I am very pleased to see that the Poll is showing about two-thirds in favour of keeping Theo.

Evonne put it perfectly for me: “he is very good, not brilliant like some of other players in the team, but much much better than an average player.” And for that reason I hope we keep him, particularly as he could prosper in our more fluid attacking approach this year.

That said, I suspect he is intending to leave on a free. He might change his mind if the team continues to go from strength to strength: he might start feeling he does not want to miss out on the glory that is surely coming.

Terry’s underpants and all that…

Why does Kelsey feel like a stranger?

Now I’m feeling like a stranger… half an hour without anyone saying anything on here?

Is everyone affected by evonne’s pre-match nerves?

One thought about tomorrow’s game: the Chav Scumbag has an annoying tendency of playing really well whenever he takes to the field for the first game after his indiscretions.

No doubt, if he plays, he’ll get hell from the crowd. Unfortunately, despite his despicable personality, he is a real warrior in footballing terms and he will probably lap it up.

Fair enough, suit yourselves :)

RL. Shame on me but I am watching the start of the Ryder Cup.

Scumbag will need to be on top of his game.

74. rhyle says:

Good read as usual today – can’t say I’m too bothered with regards to Theo…definitely not in the same class as the various mercs who’ve wandered out of the door over the last few years.

As I yesterday, Walcott to me is the footballing equivalent of a bad chef: all the ingredients but only rarely manages to put them all together to produce something special. He has one magic ingredient that makes every dish better and that puts the fear of god in the other chefs…and he doesn’t use it often enough.

His goals v Coventry show how devastating he can be when he gets his use of pace right – he could be some player if he focused on his strengths instead of trying to convince us, his colleagues and probably himself that he can beat players with skill (he can’t).

Stay, go…whatever.

75. charybdis1966 says:

Before I forget I would urge anyone at the game tomorrow to give JT maximum stick.

“Guilty, guilty, guilty..”

“You know what you are, you know what you aaaaa-rre, John Terry – you know what you are”

“One Anton Ferdinand, there’s only one Anton Ferdinand..”

This could even make Ca$hley feel ignored, ROLF.

rhyle

Love the bad chef analogy.

77. evonne says:

Hello Rocky, of course they are nervous as hell! The only difference being that I am a blond and can say what I want. ‘They’ have to pretend to be brave and clever :)
    Anyway, Chas seems desperate to see me tomorrow, so I have decided to go and try Peaches’ new season seat.

78. evonne says:

now I have to go and see what Rhyle has said….

79. Red Arse says:

I had a dream!

There was this good looking, sharply dressed guy, about 6′ 1″ tall who came to me as if he was a misty, brightly lit apparition.
    He said to me in a North London accent, “Forget Theo, I can prove Dennis Bergkamp is God.”

“God’s number is 10, and here is a parchment that proves Bergy is 10. I want you to read it and go forth and proselytize all the unbelievers!”

Actually, he may not have said ‘go forth’ it might have been ‘fook off’.

2(4x – 2) – 5(x – 1) = 10
    8x – 4 -5x + 5) = 10
    8x – 5x – 4 + 5 = 10
    3x + 1 = 10
    3x + 1 – 1 = 10 – 1
    3x = 9
    x = 3

Prove it I said, and prove you are not a Londoner who has buggered off to Canada.

“If proof is needed, substitute 3 for x, you little minion” he bellowed, “and all will be revealed!”

2 (4*3 – 2) – 5 (3 – 1) = 10
    2 (12 – 2) – 15 + 5 = 10
    2 (10) – 10 = 10
    20 – 10 = 10
    10 = 10 = Bergkamp

Ergo: Dennis Bergkamp is God

“Now – fook off, and proselytize!”

Thanks, Rocky ——- err, sharply dressed apparition, I mean.

80. evonne says:

To me Theo is a hard working individual trying to improve his game. He wasn’t born a footballer, like let’s say Messi, he became one and is working to be as good as he can. He will never be like one of the guys who were kicking the ball before they could walk properly, but he is ambitious and willing, and will do well. imo

81. charybdis1966 says:

That’s a thoroughly measured and compassionate assesssment there Evonne – I like it, kudos !

82. evonne says:

cheers Chary, I have learnt all the chants that you suggested and will try my best to intimidate JT

83. charybdis1966 says:

Excellent Evonne, I tell you what, GiE would be great at getting the chants going…what a clarion like voice he has.

84. evonne says:

don’t worry, Peaches and Rasp are loud enough

Damn you RA,
    I have been saying “No. RA. You are a cruel and bad man”. You see I began with the first line 2(4x – 2) – 5(x – 1) = 10
    and it says 2 times (4 times -2) and so on!!!
    So for many moments I was tricked into thinking Dennis was a lowly Druid or something and not a lofty Deity after all.

86. evonne says:

manyoo v totts tomorrow too!! oo la la, day and a half tomorrow

Effectively, my life is on hold until 12:45 tomorrow. I need to go and do something dangerous to take my mind off things.
    Maybe watch golf like Daddy.

Let’s up the stakes a little.
    I think tomorrow is a title decider.

Unless someone strokes me right now, I’m going to slink off all lonesome like Kelsey and Rocky!
    Oh sod it. Danger here I come!

90. evonne says:

silly DidIt, title has already been decided. In our favour of course

91. Title – decider????? Why so Mr DidIt ……. ;)

92. Red Arse says:

Micky, fear not! :-)

That was a linear equation where only one answer is possible – Dennis is it!! :-)

Now I tried a conditional equation that you are his disciple and that you were another (small) 10. Ummmm — :-(

Let’s see;

1.5(32/9 + 7) – 2.4(80/9 – 6) = 8.9
    1.5(32/9 + 63/9) – 2.4(80/9 – 54/9) = 8.9
    1.5(95/9) – 2.4(26/9) = 8.9
    (142.5/9) – (62.4/9) = 8.9
    (80.1/9) = 8.9
    8.9 = 8.9

Try as I might, I could not make you a 10. You are not a disciple — you are just a naughty boy!! :-)

RA. You lost me at Let’s see …..

Well Peaches,
    We have proved we are miles better than City, and they are better than Utd, who will beat Spuds tomorrow. We are better than Pool, which leaves Chelsea. Title Decider.
    Nothing tricky about my logic.

You are brighter than me Daddy, he lost me at M

Redders appears to be speaking in a strange language.

Is it Americanish?

97. glic says:

Nice post LB
    If we can, keep him. I think he`s a valuable member of our squad.

I`m glad we have so much footie to keep our interest, as this Golf business does my head in, as I`ve said before , It`s not sport.
    I have only time for The Arsenal. Rugby, Cricket, anything else can swivel on my cyber middle finger.
    Lets face it, football can be stressfull enough, why add other sports and games to make it even more stressfull , plus you`ld have to live a life permantly behind a settee ?.
    Actually, I was thinking of the parallel similarities between the game of Golf and what I get up to with my Golfing clients wife. What follows next is just another normal glic observation.
    I`ve said this one before, he plays around of Golf, I play around with his wife.
    He ends up in the rough. She ends up with a bit of rough.
    He`s on the fairway. She`s got a fairway to go before I`m finished with her.
    He plays 18 holes. Fair enough, I only play the three.
    He thinks he`s good at stroke play. She knows she is.
    He`ll end up in a bunker. She`ll end up with a bunk up.
    He`ll hope for a hole in one. She`ll cope with one in the hole.
    He practices his putting. I practice putting it in .
    He plays a Foursome. We play in front of the mirror.
    He will watch the Ryder at Medinah. I will ride her after me dinner.

I`m sure there are plenty of other similarities.
    So what is better , Golf or the alternative, Glic Golf ?.
    I feel a poll coming on !.

GOLF ( golf version of ROLF ) :)

PS
    Dont get me started on Bowls !. :lol:

98. Red Arse says:

Basic algebra! :-)

Head down Rocky, he’s preparing his answer, and it is not going to be one word.

Phew, just the two. Close shave :-)

Right Glic,
    I count just the three lines that could naughty step you!

Crikey, someone say something football related. Pronto.

103. Red Arse says:

Now you are definitely a VERY naughty boy, Glic!!!!!! :-)

Thankfully, Peaches’s mum is out on her Bridge evening.

Anyhooo, what’s wrong with Major League Baseball or NFL?

And I thought we were buddies!! :-)

104. Red Arse says:

I am currently inhabiting a slightly quixotic state where I can almost taste the game tomorrow.

We will win, you know!! :-)

105. glic says:

Come on lads, it was just an observation, but thanks Micky, the naughty step sounds like another new position !.
    Redders
    Dont get me started on Brittish sports that you have nicked and changed them a bit then given them a different name, like Major League Rounders !. :)

106. rhyle says:

I have a spare for tomorrow if anyone’s interested…block 13 north bank, row 12…what I like to “Match of the Day” seats…except the only time I’ve actually managed to get on MotD is just after Adebayor scored his penalty against us last season…

107. Red Arse says:

Glic, :-) I love you!!!! :-)

I’ll be tasting game soon. About to cold smoke some Venison.
    I really think we will win by two clear goals. Very confident indeed.

109. glic says:

Redders
    When you say you love me, I hope it`s not in a Glic Golf way !. :)

Rhyle. Hope that’s not an omen

Micky. I tried that once in San Francisco. Woke up in Portland!

112. rhyle says:

Big Raddy…I hope it is ‘cos we kinda went on to win that one quite nicely, as my avatar proves!

113. Red Arse says:

Oh, Rhyle, you tempter.

When I am fit, I will mercilessly trawl around begging for tickets. And this from a man who had (with his Pop) a season ticket for umpteen years …………………. it is torture!

Rhyle. Now you have made me look even more of a fool…… Obviously your match ticket is an excellent omen

115. glic says:

PS
    I dont really have a Golfing client and in real life I`m a faithfull husband. Just trying to get my point of view over in a glic way, that Golf is boring and Arsenal is all that matters after my family.

116. Red Arse says:

Glicster, :-)

Not that I have anything against other peoples sexual orientation, but I am of the Big Randy heterosexual persuasion!! :-)

I love you in a manly way ( :-) ) because you are clever, witty and incorrigible!

You are also hopeless, and I keep expecting the wrath of Peaches’s mum to strike you from on high!! :-)

117. rhyle says:

someone needs to take it, though! Dad can’t make it across from that there England / Wales border, my usual reservist is working this weekend and it’s too late notice for those I’ve asked…hate a ticket going to waste, especially for a big game…

Raddy @6:31 ROLF

119. glic says:

Redders
    I dont think Big Randy is a good example, we all know what them Viking`s are capable of !. :)

Anyone who hates golf obviously suffers from club envy.

Hitting a golf ball only 5 times into a tiny little target 500 yards away is such a thing of beauty, that no-one who’d ever achieved it would suggest that golf wasn’t a sport.

121. glic says:

I wonder what sort of reception John Terry will get tomorrow ?.
    The man`s on a downhill slide. His fathers a drug dealer, himself a adulterer and racist . What will he do in his suspension time ?. I`ve heard he will take to writing in that time, a joint venture with Nick Griffin , on a new manifesto.
    On his next ban and part of his evolution, he will spend time at The Saint Michael of the Jacksons Church ( Patron Saint of Paedos ) and be lectured by Brother Glitter !.

Whoops, sorry, didn’t mean to kill the blog.
    Golf is shit.

123. glic says:

I`m not saying it`s not skillfull, but just like darts and snooker ( which are skillfull ) it`s a game, a leisure. Are they fine sports athletes ?, now let me see,…………. John Daly, Bill Werbniuk, Jocky Wilson, yes your right, fine athletes !. :lol:
    Spuds they have club envy !. :)

i dont mind golf, but in terms of playing it please heed this warning.

About 10 year ago a client invited me for a game. I explained i had never played before but he said not to worry and that i would enjoy it. Well at first i did. It was a lovely summer day, and though i was crap and having as much success as connecting as Chamack i found the whole thing rather pleasent.

It was at the point were i was most enjoying the experience that i first heard the humming. It was coming from above and upon looking up i saw this magnificent looking bird with a wonderful array of colours. The only problem was that after about a minute i realised that my multi coloured feathered friend was circling me.

The noise of its humming soon reached helicopter like proportions as it continued its flight above me. By this point, my clients mood started to change from cocksure to agitation. He kept asking me if i was alright. I dont think ive ever seen a man as cross eyed before as him. One eye on me and the other on the bird.

I was gripped with fear as i braced myself for my next hopeless shot, and then it happened. with a manouvere likea world war spitfire the humming bird dived and nearly had my head off. l fell backwards, shocked and disorientated. Before i could muster breath i was attacked again, and again and again. By this stage i was sobbing, running for my life and helplessly flailing my golf club at my assalient.

After what seemed like an eternity the bird relented and i fell to the floor exhausted and demorolised. Around me other people fell to the floor, but that was through fits of laughter. heaven knows what i did to deserve such an assault, maybe it was after the wig.

to compound things when i get home, i found that my shoulder was killing me for weeks as a result of all the club flailing. Surfice to say, i have never played golf again

Who said anything about athletes?

126. Red Arse says:

Having fought my way around a golf course on many an occasion, through sand traps, vicious woods and the fifth when I was playing the 17th, I am afraid that I agree with the Chazzer — Golf can be very tough! :-)

Chas, I have no idea who that blogsite is that you were talking about earlier, but I am confident that the first mention of Corporal Jenkinson (at least on AA) came from me.

I had just discovered ‘Dad’s Army’ on Dave (?) with Cap’n Mannering, Private Walker and Corporal Jones, and because of the ‘hopeless’ comments made about our Carl, at the time, I coined the fairly descriptive title for our new fullback, based on the ‘Don’t panic, Mr Mainwaring’. Crazy show — but so British somehow, even 40 years after it was broadcast!

If someone else pinched it — well just shows the influence of AA!! :-)

Of course, as usual, this could be bullsh*t, and the Rocket has mesmerised me into believing it is true!! :-)

Thanks for the post LB. We should definatly keep Theo. He may not be first choice at present, but he is an invaulable weapon to bring on. As for the future, who knows? He could turn out to be a world class striker and i would rather it be with us than elsewere.

Haha Terry. Case proven. Those that can’t play it, hate it.

129. Red Arse says:

Oh stop being such a wuz, Terry. It was just wanting to mate with you.

It simply recognized another bandy legged, cross eyed coot when it saw one, and fancied a bit of rough. Let’s face it you are obviously very tasty, —– to another boss eyed, bandy legged, Big Randy coot!! :-)

Redders, if it wanted to mate with me, it only had to ask. hahaha. Maybe it wanted a bit of rough and tumble first?, who knows? It was a magnificent looking bird though. hahaha

RA,
    I’m now seeing it all over and was just thinking if AA was its origin.

132. glic says:

I should apologise to all you AA golfers, boring was probably a bad choice of word, as if your good at something and you enjoy it, it`s not boring. I think a lot of these games are boring to watch, but are not boring to play.
    I will not change my opinion though, that the likes of Golf,Darts and Snooker are not sports. I rest my case on the evidence of the previously mentioned ” athletes” !. :lol:

Razor Ruddock, Jan Molby.
    Btw, it doesn’t take any skill to run around Cornish lanes with an Alsatian hanging of your arse. :)

134. glic says:

I`m surprised one of you have not challenged me by saying , ” is football a sport “, which I would reply , ” yes “, then you would say, ” what about Arshavin then ” !. :)

135. glic says:

You already got there chas ! . :lol:

I don’t think there are any other AA golfers, glic.
    I’ll shut up now.
    It must be boring for everyone else.

137. glic says:

The Alsatians are ok, it`s them evil Golden Retrievers who keep me fit !.

138. glic says:

Maybe they dont comment `coz their Closet Golfers !. :)

So Redders came up with “the Corporal” for Jenks and it has now been taken up by everyone else.

That’s the power of AA!

Last season, after a particularly wonderful bit of skill by Alex Song, I coined the name “Songinho” and that got picked up in a lot of places too.

This is a very influential Blog :)

I suppose Redders will now say he invented Songinho :roll:

I’ve dabbled in golf a little bit.

Very enjoyable pastime.

I don’t watch much golf but I like the Ryder Cup. All these pros who normally only play for themselves suddenly have to play as teams – which makes it interesting.

Deflating the Americans is always fun too (sorry Redders).

Terry
    Humming birds are tiny, you great wuss.

142. Red Arse says:

Rock n Roll,

Songinho — who is Songhino? Hmmph!

But Corp Jenks — now that’s a sobriquet! :-)

You can have it if you like — I would never come up with odd names!! :-)

143. Red Arse says:

Deflowering the Brits is much more fun, Rocky —- for everyone!! :-)

Like Rocky, I am a fan of the Ryder Cup but not of golf per se. I enjoy the US Masters but only because the pitch (course) is so beautiful.

If it is close come Sunday evening there is little better sporting entertainment.

And I came up with Corporal Jenks …… (I am Spartacus)

Playing golf is altogether different. A brilliant way of spending a few hours away from all the hurly burly

Try playing a bowls match, usually three hours long, in 30 + degrees, standing or walking continuosly and needing total mental concentration and also a certain amount of power when striking and flexibility of body when delivering the bowl.

Chelsea: Have won 7 & lost 1 of the last 11 PL games v Arsenal with Drogba playing, but have won 0 of the last 22 without him

Goodnight and thanks for reading :)

149. Illybongani says:

Chas – another AA golfer here! Play off 17 and try and get out 2 or 3 times a month, more if I’m playing well. It does grate with me when people slag golf off. I’d never dream of coating someone else’s pastime just because I’ve never tried it. I went to the Algarve and got dragged off to a game of bowls under protest. Really enjoyed it though and I guess there are a few other sports out there that I would love that I’ve never tried – probably skiing being one of those!

I’ve managed to get a ticket for tomorrow. Last game was Sunderland 0-0, so hoping for a slightly different performance tomorrow. I’m thinking 3-1. It’s been 4 games since we had a clean sheet you know!

Typical – I pop off for a while. Kelsey comes back. Kelsey goes again.

I wanted to talk bowls with him.., never mind :(

I’m late getting into the dialogue on “Sports” vs Games” I’ve played competitive darts for close to 60 years and I shot my first perfect game when I was 15 years old. I also coached youth darts for 20 years.

Top flight darts requires and incredible skill level and a high mathematical aptitude.The best players in the world, like Phil Taylor, need to practice 6 plus hours a day to say at the top.

But it’s clearly a high skill game and not a sport – at least not an athletic sport.

152. jnyc says:

I agree with LB ,that i was afraid arsene would feel obliged to use theo because of the situation. I think that alot of our success this season is down to theo not playing. The team work and tracking back has surely contributed to our good start. I thought theo was given too many minutes last season as it was, i preferred gerv and ox at least.

153. Illybongani says:

GN5 – a 9 darter at 15? That’s very impressive. I got my one and only 180 when I was 12 playing in the Bookmakers league against a 50 year old…he wasn’t too impressed that I beat him. I thought that was good going but your feat is something else.

154. Gooner In Exile says:

I’m reet pee’d off (in my best Northern accent).

First Peaches and then Rhyle offering tickets for tomorrow and I am on Dog nursing duties. I’ve been busy this week so Mrs Exile has been on full nurse duties, I’ve got the weekend shift while she and bump recuperate.

I’ve never done a 9 dart finish (though I have finished a few three dart 170s in my time). Gn5 is clearly a real player. I used to play in a WMC team when I was 15. We used to play other WMCs and pubs round my bit of South London. No-one seemed to care that I was under age – I still sank pints with the rat of them

Teams of eight; the “home” pub or club would always lay on sandwiches (cheese and onion; cheese and pickle; ham and mustard; egg). Happy idle days of youth!

*rest of them

157. rhyle says:

GiE…whereabouts are you in Exile? Can always promise you a smaller game if there’s one that’s important to you!

Mine’s now gone…

158. rhyle says:

just a thought, but would it be possible to get an early post tomorrow, bearing in mind I’ll be leaving at about 9.30 to get to the pub…

Be appreciated..!

159. Gooner In Exile says:

Rhyle cheers, I’m exiled to Norfolk. :D ok it’s not that far.

Last season I got quite a few on Red Membership, haven’t had much chance this year what with work and the pending arrival of a new Gooner. Also red tickets are few and far between this season with the new pricing structure meaning the first two home games went quickly and there seems less on the Exchange this season (glory hunters/loss of faith/lack of funds not renewing?).

Will probably aim for a couple of CL games. Tried to convince today’s client near Feltham to have our next appointment on Reading v Arsenal Capital One Cup game in the hope I could bag an away game.

Going to have to get at least two in before the arrival so QPR home And Fulham home will be my next targets.

Rhyle
    Early posts on early kick-offs is a good idea, but it all depends on whether it’s workable for Rasp and Peaches.

161. rhyle says:

Well…I do tend to have a spare come up on short notice quite often, especially for CL games, will certainly bear you in mind fella!

When’s the baby due?

162. Gooner In Exile says:

Cheers Rhyle, there are quite a few scroungers on here who look for late notice tickets.

Baby Exile due to arrive on 23rd of December……according to midwife.

Illy;

My son is a far better dart player than myself – but I’m no slouch…….

Justin (my son) shot his 1st perfect game when he was 13 and amazingly he can shoot 180’s with either hand.

It freaked other players out when he switched hands to get a better angle – that alone has won him many games. He has won several
    Ontario youth tournaments.

We won an incredible amount of trophies in “Father/Son” tournaments – and we donated them all back to youth darts.

Good ‘arrers Gn5 :)

For them that are interested, Wigan Gunner has done an excellent summary of the last week’s events in his blog (you can link to it from the Blogroll above).

166. oz gunner says:

Golf…I agree with GLIC it’s woefully boring. Happy Gilmore ruined that sports credibility. Give me the excitement of fast paced Aussie rules football or five a side any day of the week. But I suppose bowls, golf, and darts are what’s left over when you old…like you lot haha.

@ Terry

You poor bloke, live has been tough for you. Attacked by a loon at a bus stop, given tours by ghosts, and publicly humiliated by a colourful budgerigar.
    No wonder why your always up in the attic with your telescope…the outside world is too frightening for you!

@ Rocky

cheers, i’ll go have a read.

Match Day Good Morning.
    Loosely related to last night’s comments on what is/isn’t sport, here’s a brilliant dscontinued Olympic Swimming Event. Its from the 1896 Games held in Greece!
    “The 100 Meter Freestyle Event for Sailors”.
    Rules: As per the 100m freestyle, though only open to members of the Greek Navy.
    Only three competitors took place in the event. The winner was from Greece (of course!) and the winning time was nearly a minute slower than the winner of the open 100 meter freestyle. It is an interesting concept for the host team to include this event so as to increase their medal count.

Winners:

1.Ioannis Malokinis (Greece)

2. Spiridon Chasapis (Greece)

3.Dimitrios Drivas (Greece)

Morning, Micky.
    I’m not sure I could beat Mr Malokinis even now.
    Unless pursued by Mr Chasapis and Mr Drivas, of course.

Hi Chas,
    Front three for today?
    Or the Ramsey in City style?

Second-guessing Wenger is so hard.
    I’d imagine he’d be tempted to stick with what worked against City.
    Then again, Theo is looking forward to playing against Cashley!
    Can’t see Giroud starting which of course means he’s nailed on for first goalscorer.

Ramsey offers more defensively on the right to counter those Cashley runs, but having Ox, Theo and Big ‘Ol on the bench will be fun for really rubbing the salt in at 4-0 with 10 to go!

My actual prediction is a smooth 2-0.

I like the idea of a smooth win.

Morning

Looks nasty outside ahead of my Viking tour. Perhaps they will cancel it… on second thoughts, there is no chance. If Danes can row to England on an open boat in 3 days they won’t worry about a rainstorm.

Micky. I know it is early and pre-coffee but is the above a joke?

Was rowing to England an event in the 846 Viking Games?

Is this what your lecturer looks like, BR?

Pre-coffee Raddy? No such hour exists, and yes.

It’s not a joke.

179. slimgingergooner says:

A few months ago I said that I didn’t think Theo could play as a lone striker, and therefore if he was refusing to sign a deal because Wenger wants him wide, then we should sell him. However, the recent form of Gervinho as our central striker, aswell as a shift in tactics (front 3 switching positions throughout the game with much more fluidity and movement as opposed to RvP always staying central) makes me think that Theo could be a fantastic option upfront.

I don’t think his style is suited to every game we play, but then again, it isn’t when we play him wide right. This is a squad game these days and I’d rather he be in ours than another PL sides.

The games were held in Lindisfarne in 794. The Danes took all the gold, and the silver and the bronze

:-)

Haha, and the flyagarics.

Sorry for slow response, been fine tuning the post.

Would anyone understand if when referring to JT I noted that none of his team-mates will be wearing a JT t-shirt?

184. oz gunner says:

morning all,

Micky, same lineup as City for me, except Verm comes in for Kozzer.
    I like his aerial ability, and it’ll be needed against Terry and Ivanovic.

@ LB

sorry, good post on a very tough issue. I won’t comment until he signs a contract. Until then each goal or assist will be gently applauded

185. Gooner In Exile says:

ROFLMAO at Fifa13. I played as Arsenal I came up against Chelsea, whenever Cole touched the ball the whole of the Emirates started booing and Martin Tyler and Alan Smith comment on it. Wonder what will happen when Nasri and TheWhore turn up.

Giroud is a beast according to the statisticians at EA. :D Overhead kicks, dynamite feet, diving headers.

a la Suarez, BR

187. Gooner In Exile says:

Oz if Theo starts and scores first goal today you’ll be on your knees celebrating and fist pumping.

Anyone think Kos should start instead of BFG today? Chelsea are more mobile than City up front….and that will worry me.

188. slimgingergooner says:

The wife’s predicting 3-2 and Diaby to score first. She can’t be any worse at predicting scores than I am so think I will put a whole pound on it at the bookies!

Enjoy the game fellow Gooners.

chas. I never doubted you would understand …. too obtuse for most I fear.

Right post finished. Just needs a Rasp tweak and the bomb bay can open.

Chocks away. Hun in the sun. Never has so much been owed to so few etc etc (maybe I should have slowed down on the prosecco last night :-) )

Ox interesting.
    The attacking attributes of Verm against the defensive speed of Kos. For me, defending comes first, and Chavs do not play with a Big ‘un up front, so its Kos for me.

Speed is everything for the serious drinker Raddy. Sounds like you did the right thing :-)

192. oz gunner says:

@ GiE

shhhh I like to pretend I’m controlled and in check. But yes you are right!

I don’t think so, it’s BFg for me. BFG’s movement is second to none. Kozzer and Verm are more prone to positional slip ups, but get bailed out by their recovery speed. BFG just doesn’t, and should continue on with his top form.

Are the ratings fair on Fifa 13? Haven’t got my copy yet but I saw a draft rating for Arsenal players and they had Arteta at only 78. I swear last year he was 82, so not sure how you go down that much when he have a fantastic year

8 o’clock pick up.
    See you later.

Have a great day Chas, and everyone else who’s going for that matter.

195. rhyle says:

Morning all!

Where can I watch a 3pm kick-off today? Does the Woodbine still show them? More importantly, is there anywhere on or near the Holloway Road that shows ‘em?

Rhyle 12 Pins Finsbuy Pk. Can’t be beaten for atmosphere nor the number of screens…. though it is a 10 min walk from Holloway Rd. Highbury Corner shows games …

Rhyle,
    If its serious gloating you are after, then the Utd Spud game is 17:30.

Right …. a barren bog awaits.

Have a good day one and all and let us raise to steaming cup of coffee to a valiant Victory over the miscreant heathens!!

199. Gooner In Exile says:

Enjoy Chas.

Oz yes the ratings are fair, my starting XI is

Sz
    Sag Kos TV Gibbs
    Arteta Wilshere
    Santi
    Theo OG Pod

Only Gibbs is less than 80. Finally the game remembers your custome selections for online matches so I haven’t got to keep on doing all the switches before every game.

It’s changed markedly from FIFA12 the skill moves are harder, defending is much harder if you don’t use jockey.

200. evonne says:

how do you write a sound of teeth chattering badly? of legs shaking a bit?

201. evonne says:

GiE – no, no, no, no, we have to play BFG, perhaps push fellows to the right a bit? Wishere is probably not match fit yet, and Szczesny? I am not going…ticket available

202. oz gunner says:

cheers GiE, looking forward to playing it.

Enjoy the game everyone. Enjoy your field trip too BR, don’t forget to grab your lunch!

203. oz gunner says:

@ Evonne

haha that is GiE’s Fifa lineup, not tonights

204. rhyle says:

Cheers Raddy…12 Pins is a good shout, is it the Junction at Highbury Corner or the Famous Cock?

Evonne,
    Not going!
    I seriously doubt there is more fun to be had at 15:00GMT today in any capital city the world over, and you have a ticket.

Rhyle,
    Its at the other end. Finsbury Park

Make that 12:45

208. evonne says:

micky – yeah, at 3pm, but our bloody game kicks off at 12:45

At 12.45 I will be bitting my nails, 3pm I will be celebrating. I can see where that one came form Micky.

Evonne,
    Pack some kleenex and away you go. Picture it. You are sitting North Bank. Its 14:12 and Ox has just crashed it in to make the score 3-0. He trots over in front of you and gives a little bow.

211. The 12 Pins is at Finsbury Park

evonne – just pretend it’s not Chelsea, just pretend that you’re going to watch the Mighty Arsenal play in the sunshine at the Emerates – what’s to be scared of ;)

212. Gooner In Exile says:

Rhyle 12 Pins is out Finsbury Park Stn turn left and is opposite the Blackstock Road.

Tavern shows live on Sky matches don’t think it has a dubious dish though.

Evonne as Oz said that line up is for a computer game :D

213. Gooner In Exile says:

Bloody early kick off, seriously not enough time to get the required amount of nicotine and caffiene in the system.

Rhyle

Walk the extra 10 mins it takes to get to the 12 Pins, it is worth it. They may charge £7 but you get two drinks with that, well they charge when it is an away game and that pub is the only place in London showing the match. I know becasue I always go there to watch those games. Maybe it is free when we are at home.

215. rhyle says:

Thanks all…I know the 12 Pins but Raddy mentioned that there was somewhere on Highbury Corner that shows the 3 o’clock games… :-D

216. rhyle says:

LB…are you in sales by any chance?!

217. GiE – don’t forget that I’ve got a season ticket now so if you know you want to come to a game I’ll save that seat for you. Rasp and I are still getting extra seats when he can come so that we can sit together elsewhere.

Oh Rhyle

I forgot to mention, the food is free and they have half naked cheer leaders at half time ;)

219. Gooner In Exile says:

Peaches you’re a diamond xx

220. rhyle says:

LB….REALLY?! Forget going to the game…I’m a 12 Pins man from now on…anyone wanna buy a season ticket?

221. evonne says:

I had all the good intention to meet up with my ex-boss, chav supporter before the game. I wish I didn’t bother. He started giving a large one – you coming to see the European Champions!! No, I told him, we are to torment the scumbag Terry. I think I am up for it now, come on you beauties….when the boys in red and white are a fecking dynamite….na na anan na na, yeah!

I think we’re into the Blog Death Zone.
    Back for the game.