Kos strikes Oil at the Etihad

Early news from the Arsenal camp was that the Lion of Flanders had a thorn in his paw and wouldn’t play. Many of the pre-match debates had discussed playing Koscielny in place of the BFG but as it turned out fate had made the decision for us. Ramsey was preferred to either the Ox or Giroud for the 3rd place in the front three. Last season this tactic sometimes left us a little unbalanced. We would see.

With a Mekon and a Klingon lining up against each other, visitors to the Etihad could be forgiven for thinking they’d dropped in on a Science Fiction convention. Would Arsenal reach warp factor 6?

Arsenal began the first half dominating possession. An early Ramsey centre needed a near post run and Santi fired in a long range shot from too far out to trouble Hart. A series of tika taka passes in the City half drew a foul from Kompany who seemed personally affronted that Arsenal were taking the urine on his home ground.

At the other end Corporal Jenkinson easily dealt with a momentary threat from Sinclair and Aguerro managed to force a good save from Don Vito in the Arsenal goal.

On 13’ Arteta played a delightful chipped pass to Gibbs who hurried a first time volleyed pass harmlessly across the goalmouth. Then came, perhaps, Arsenal’s best chance of the first half. A beautiful pass from Ramsey inside Cliché (Niall Quinn trying to outdo David Pleat) to Gervinho but his first touch was as heavy as Na$ri’s wallet.

The Oilers rarely threatened with the BFG and Gibbs particularly impressive. On 18’ an excellent team move resulted in an overhit cross from Gibbs when the area was packed with red shirts begging for a decent ball. Then Jenkinson picked Lescott’s pocket, pulled the ball back to Podolski but the German blazed over with his right foot. Another super attacking move almost resulted in a golden chance for Santi but the man with a dead rat on his head just got back in time to intercept.

In the 37th minute Gervinho hit the side netting and the Gooners at the other end of the ground thought it had gone in for one second, provoking much hilarity from the home fans relieved at something to laugh at having been outclassed at home for the whole of the first half.

A needless corner 5 minutes before half-time then resulted in Don Vito coming and not claiming. Podolski didn’t do enough to stop Lescott from heading in. Mannone made another save from Dzecko immediately after the goal with Arsenal still rattled, disbelieving that with all their first half superiority they were one down. Arsene Wenger shook his head, the curse of Mike Dean seemed to be rearing his ugly head yet again. (to be fair, Dean had a good game and didn’t celebrate when Lescott scored!)

Santi still had time to create another couple of half chances before the break but to no avail. An excellent display from the little Spaniard, Man of the 1st Half by a country mile.

Mankini used his tactical nous at halftime and brought on Rodwell to replace Sinclair who had had to climb out of Jenkinson’s pocket to go for his half-time cuppa. Nullifying Santi was obviously in the Italian’s mind despite his team going in one goal to the good. Citeh’s plan seemed to work immediately the 2nd half began. Either that or the Arsenal squad had been smoking a little something they’d brought back from Montpellier. Arsenal’s build-up became slow and ponderous. Gibbs again put in a poor cross after a delicious Diaby through ball and Jenkinson put the ball too close to the keeper when in a similar position to Tuesday night.

The movement and fluidity of the first half had disappeared. Players on the ball had no options, meaning the ball often worked its way backwards. Gervinho sliced a couple of decent chances well over the bar and his comedy collision with Ramsey seemed to sum up the way the game was progressing for the Gunners.

At the other end Mertesacker made a series of brilliant interceptions when the blue Oilers attempted to catch us on the break. His reading of the game is just sublime.

The substitutions of Diaby and the Pod for Walcott and Giroud then seemed to open up the game. Jenkinson and Walcott fired in dangerous crosses. Mertesacker and Koscielny were called on to make some excellent tackles and interceptions when Citeh broke upfield.

In the 82nd minute a real rasping drive from Santi forced Hart into the best save of the game and resulted in a corner. The ball bounced out from Lescott and Kos drilled the ball high into the net for a glorious equaliser. Cue pandemonium.

A little period of keystone cop defending immediately after the goal saw Mannone make a crucial save before Aguerro put the ball wide. Ramsey made a great run, then the BFG another magnificent interception prompting the Away Boys into a chorus of We’ve Got a Big F*ckin German. The last minute saw another excellent passing move from The Arsenal result in Gervinho again blasting over the bar. It wasn’t our Mekon’s day in front of goal. Garcia pulled down Jenkinson and was rightly booked but we’d already settled for a point.

All in all it was an excellent point for the Gunners, Citeh being unbeaten for over 30 games at home, not many opposition teams even claiming a point in that sequence.

The Away Boys were magnificent as usual keeping a rendition of Money don’t buy History going throughout the game  and they warmly applauded the whole team off the pitch including my Man of the Match, Per Mertesacker.

Ratings:

Mannone – Didn’t get to the ball when coming for the corner but made some decent saves which kept Citeh at bay……7

Mertesacker – Imperious. How could we ever have doubted he could cope with the Citeh attack?……9

Koscielny – Some superb defending and a real humdinger of a goal to give City’s owners the sheikhs……8

Jenkinson – The Corporal controlled Sinclair in the 1st half and had another excellent all-round game….8

Gibbs – Excellent both in defence and joining in the left side attacks…..8

Diaby – A little patchy from the big man, especially just after half time…..7

Arteta – It’s difficult to ever see Mikel having a bad game…….8

Ramsey – Contributed well in the first half and seemed to come to life after he dropped back to replace Diaby……7

Cazorla – Magnificent in the 1st half and his blistering shot led indirectly to Kos’ goal…..8

Podolski – Lukas didn’t fire today but he deserves some slack after recent performances…..7

Gervinho – Not Gerv’s steadiest day in front of goal but worked hard throughout….7

Subs:

Giroud – 71′ – Olivier tried a few flicks and layoffs and caused a nuisance….7

Walcott – 72′ – Some interesting moments in his cameo but looks a little lost…..7

Coquelin – 90′ – Not long enough on the pitch…..7

Written by chas

153 Responses to Kos strikes Oil at the Etihad

1. gnarleygeorge9 says:

“Nobby” Cazorla is a star :D

2. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

Quality read from start to finish Chas.

Mike Dean didn’t celebrate…lol

3. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

Truly tremendous first half yesterday…just a shame that we didn’t get the goal that we deserved. That would hace set us up perfectly to attack on the break and score more.

Even though I’m happy with a point, we really should have had three.

Hey ho thats another tricky away trip out of the way.

Terrific witty match report chas – a suitable celebration of a game in which we deserved more than a draw but can still be happy with the result because of the great team performance.

Mankini has gone right down in my estimation. He is behaving like a spoilt child. You’d think they were robbed by the tone of his post match interview, he didn’t have a word of praise for Arsenal’s performance.

I mentioned yesterday that Gerv needs to be more composed in front of goal. This was not meant to denigrate his performance which was good and a great improvement on last season – but!!!!, the difference between 1 point and 3 was in his finishing and if he can be more clinical in the future our chances of winning the prem will be increased – shame the ACN will steal him away from us :(

5. Anotherswissgooner says:

Super read!
    I might have been a point more generous to Ramsey, who seems to be improving rapidly with some weight off his shoulders.

Chas,
    Thing is this…you either flitted about other Arsenal Blogs, busily copying and pasting the good bits from each match report, and then generated a collage, or you did that post all by your self.
    If the latter is true, “Bravo Matey”, you got the job :-)

7. Rhyle says:

Good write up, Chas – spot on the money

Starting to think that I may have an unjustified problem with Gibbs, though! Yet again yesterday, 2 or 3 times I thought he got pulled into the CBs and left us exposed down the left, not closing his man down quick enough…he’s impressed me a lot going forward, but not defensively. Maybe I’m being harsh and picking holes, not sure where it comes from!

Rasp Bonjour,
    Fair point about Gerv. although OG will be blasting them in from all angles come the ACN :-)
    Thinking of tucking away opportunities in general, even The Brave One only nailed one in four of shots on target, so I really don’t think we have much to worry about.
    The good thing about this season is that we have more triggers being pulled from more players.

Comment ca va Micky? I completely agree.

It’s not a worry – just a small frustration. Neville pointed out that Gerv is 25 therefore he should be close to the finished article so maybe its just adaptation to the prem that is taking place. His decision making = shoot/pass etc will hopefully improve. But he is a real threat and runs at defenders which I love so I’m a fan – and he helps me forget about the Walcott problem.

I’m going reasonably well all things considered, thank you Rasp.
    Gerv is a blinking good swerver, and that matters, as well as being joint top scorer :-)

How many joints has he smoked then Micky?

12. Chas-peau to a very fine, accurate, funny and passionate match report. :)

You really should do more of them Chas: they are as good as they get on AA! :)

I thought the first half was superb and had we taken one of our chances, we could have hurt MC seriously yesterday. Overall, I believe a draw was a fair result.

The really good news is that after 5 games we have already played 50% of the North-West away teams this season, and are still unbeaten in the process. Only Everton, Wigan and MU to go to: that is it this year!

The Pod and the Gerv have been brilliant for us recently by scoring the all important goals.

Yesterday, we needed somebody else to step in and do it. Cazorla tried hard, Koz managed to do it, but what is a real shame is that both Theo and Giroud are not firing on all cylinders – for various reasons – at the moment. I know a lot of fellow Gooners think it is great that Theo is being isolated from the team until he signs a new contract, but yesterday was a game in which he could have easily made the difference; because our boy Theo likes to score in the big ones. The sooner this is sorted the better.

Well thought out post chas.

I don’t think Mancini could ever outwit our Arsene. No doubt City gave us the utmost respect and at times looked like the away side.

Only 5 games in and I can see there will be at least a 20% improvement in the team.Jenkinson and Gibbs are getting better with each game, Arteta in a more deep lying role is superb and Santi could be the buy of the season.
    Gervinho baffles me.If i was playing with him I wouldn’t know what he was going to do next, and I suspect neither does he.
    I don’t agree that Walcott would be better played centrally, and the need for a clinical striker is still something that we need.giroud may turn out to be that man, but at this moment of time Santi always looks our biggest threat,especially as he is two footed and has superb vision.
    I think diaby played well for 60 minutes which was an improvement of 15 minutes from his last game, and he is slowly getting back to his best and if he remains uninjured could be pivitol to us having a great season.
    Mannone does his best but IMO he isn’t the quality of a back up keeper for a title chasing side.
    I think most of us would have settled for 9 points from the opening 5 games though perhaps the opening game was a tad disappointing with only a draw.
    You get the feeling there are no prima donnas in this squad (just look how nearly every player embrassed kos with his goal)
    i have seen nothing from City,United or chelsea that we can’t match or even better.

All in all an enjoyable game.

Rasp :-)

Really enjoyed that Chas.

Great report.

Is it just me or does anyone else feel that when mankini gives an interview he comes across as a wistful, inarticulate twat?

LB,
    He’s Italian, that’s all. Out of his comfort zone, me thinks. Far happier talking about Hair Products and so on. Its a cultural thing, nothing serious.

Total,
    “You really should do more of them Chas: they are as good as they get on AA!”
    Is that a “Meeeow” comment? :-)

19. Super report Chas
    I agree with most of your ratings & MOTM (do we have to pay to say that now?)
    Vito 6 – OK let himself down with the cross, was not confident from the start, underlined by his eratic clearing.
    Carl 8 – Choose England please you have very little competition, also more dangerous than Gibbs attacking wise.
    Per 9 – MOTM – How many interceptions, looked world class yesterday and for most of the season in fact. Just needs to perfect the “near post flick on”
    Lauren 7 – Great goal, he’s certainly got an eye for it, i only give him a 7 because he was fairly solid but equally to blame for the goal along with LULU and Vito.
    Kieren 7 – Great defensive work, just a shame with his final ball when attacking.
    Mikel 8 – Marshalled the midfield as usual, ui wish we’d signed him years ago.
    Aboooo 6 – Average game, some nice touches and runs but tired very quickly and became inaffective.
    Santi 8 – a quiet game but still gets an 8, i can’t believe how small he is, that save from Hart was world class, he saw it late and it swerved, deserved a goal.
    LULU 7 – a quiet game but i wouldn’t have subbed him i think he’s scoring 1 in 2 shots at the moment, another chance for him and we could have won it
    Gerv 6 – His team mates don’t know what he’s doing because he doesn’t know what he’s doing, he makes things happen and gets in the right positions, i don’t think its a mistake to try this conversion, it could work, needs to learn from Pod about taking his chances.
    Aaron 8 – His best game including last season for me, some great through balls and tackles…. i just don’t see him as a starter to often.

20. Thoughts on Giroud
    When he came on it changed the game.
    He held the ball up every time bringing the MF in to play, and he battered Lescott and Kompany.
    I like him a lot.
    People are giving him a hard time, i think he’s had one good chance and maybe 4 not even half chances, this guy will be great for us, you’ll see.

Jonathan,
    I completey agree with your comments on OG. While I like his combatative style and how he brings others into play (as you say), I don’t think we have begun to see how skillful on the ground he is and what a great shot he packs. Its simply a question of playing time, and the understanding with those around him will come.

22. Red Arse says:

Ho, Chas, baby! :-)

I hope your swim with your thingy went well! [I’m off for a swim (it’s a keep-fit type thing, Micky)].

Look, Chazzer, I feel the need to say something to you about the art of Post Match Post writing, and I do not want to embarrass you or anyone else, because I love you all.

The thing is (not your thingy – obviously) that we have always been regaled with some really excellent Post Match reports written by one or two seriously talented authors, and/or some deeply committed and perceptive Arsenal fans, and, frankly, I cannot see them ever being beaten.

So therein lies the rub …………………………… you have done the impossible and soared to the top of the pile, setting a new yardstick against which other Posts can and must be compared!!! :-)

Your post match essay is top notch, combining a true fan’s knowledge and understanding of the game and presenting it in an understated, humorous and satisfyingly enjoyable way.

You had better apologise to everyone else for being such a little genius because as far as I am concerned you and Giant Randy are the zenith – the book ends of the Pre and Post Match report writing literati, and will take some knocking off – your pedestal that is – not by someone who is both female and Polish!

Incidentally, I also loved the vid of the guy interviewing the City fans, he is definitely an AA type if ever I saw one! :-)

Oh, and I agree with your ratings, except, like ASG, I think Rambo could have got another point. :-)

23. evonne says:

LB – it is just you, I like Mancini :)

Chas – not just a pretty face, are you? Very, very good match report. Some of the player marking are eefy, but I suppose you are marking the achievements, I am more emotional I give points for effort; hence Gervinho 9 for me.

On a different note regarding goalscoring, we have become so used to the idea of a solitary and prolific marksman, that as a team as well as supporters, it will take a little time to adapt to the joint responsibilty scoring thing.
    I’m sure its already developing, and we will be much better for it, to say nothing about how much harder it is going to be for opposing teams to cope with.

25. It is a woof-woof (dog language for hear, hear) comment Micky! :)

RA,
    “as far as I am concerned you and Giant Randy are the zenith – the book ends of the Pre and Post Match report writing literati”
    Well said indeed :-)

I’m not doing much work am I?
    Best potter off for a bit :-(

Hi evonne, its not just LB, I made the same point @ 9:42.

He’s a bit of a cry baby … oooohhh they won’t let me spend any more money …… aaaahhh that naughty Joe Hart spoke out of turn ….. eeeeehhh how dare Arsenal come up here and outplay the magnificent city …… get my drift :lol:

29. Red Arse says:

Jonathan, :-)

I don’t normally agree with Micky, if I can help it, he’s far too Devonly cosmopolitan for me, :-) but I agree with him agreeing with you about Ollie G.

I have said recently how much i dislike the unnecessary back pass to the GK who wellies the ball upfield only to give possession back to the oppo. That happened a number of times yesterday, until he came on.

The result was he held the ball up on his chest or laid a header off despite the best efforts of Lescott or Kompany to muscle him off the ball.

Me like! :-)

Brilliant Chas, i echo Redders sentiments “Long live the Post Match king”…………err, and “The Video King”……….err, and the “Know nothing about Children king”…….err, and “The Away Match King”…….err, bloody hell this could go on all day. hahaha

Just like to big up A. Ramsey. The boy took a lot of stick last season. and ok, sometimes he was a bit shit, but never very shit. This year he is beggining to show why Arsene put so much faith in him and i must say ime absoloutly delighted for the fella. “Long live the midfield come back King”, Bloody Hell, ime off. hahaha

31. evonne says:

Rasp – ok, just you and LB then :)
    Are you saying he’s a bit of an eeyore then :)
    Anybody would cry after spending so much money and being outplayed by tightarse Wenger

:) evonne, I think the pressure is beginning to tell on Mankini whereas our urbane Monsieur Wenger is looking far more chillaxed these days I’m pleased to say

33. evonne says:

Rasp – did you know both Mancini and AW are staunch Catholics? Wenger’s faith must be stronger :)

I’ve only just heard about this. I switched off after our game and missed it.

Thank you for all the complimentary comments.
    You’re not getting me to do the match reports that easily. :)

Perhaps whoever writes the match report can nominate who’ll have a bash at the next one. That seems fair to me.

ASG, RA, Jonathan and Terry,
    In hindsight, perhaps I was a little harsh on Rambo.
    He still manages to do the odd thing during the game that annoys me, though he did play very well yesterday.

Rhyle,
    As far as Gibbs goes, I think I have the reverse problem to you. He makes some good interceptions and tackles and I forget about him being out of position sometimes.

Anyone tired of Kos’ goal yet?

38. 26may1989 says:

Excellent match report.

Picking up on LB’s theme of yesterday, Wenger’s team selection yesterday was great.

It’s a measure of how far this team has come that many of us feel a smidgen of disappointment that we didn’t bank all three points yesterday. Don’t get me wrong though, I feel very happy about both the result and performance.

Just a few photos, then I’ll stop boosting the comments on this match report. :)

Arsenal players celebrate

Laurent Koscielny goal

Laurent Koscielny goal

40. and i agree with you RA who agrees with Micky who agrees with me :-)
    Chas i do love your video posts, long may it continue.

Absolutely brilliant pics chas, I’ll try to find a way of getting them up on the site. Most footballers may be motivated by money but the look of sheer joy on the faces of our players is all about achievement not bucks.

Arteta loves us, what shame we didn’t sign him 5 years ago. Paradoxically I heard a journalist/radio presenter say recently that Everton had become better without him as it had allowed other players to shine in their side. I think the toffee’s supporters are a pretty decent bunch and give him a warm welcome when we p[lay each other.

42. glic says:

Fine post chas
    I have to agree with Stretch you really are a talented gooner, handsome, funny, technical, intelligent, it must be like looking in my mirror !.
    Love those photo`s aswell, I haven`t seen anyone that happy since Stretch found a vibrating ring donut to attach to his vacuum cleaner !.
    I am amazed how intelligent these computers are, in the past few weeks I have been googling such stuff as fitted wardrobes for Jnr glic`s love shack and treadmills for myself, yet after I`ve finnished looking, I get adverts come up for the said Items on every other site I go on ( football sites etc ), how does it know ?. Anyway, after looking up John Terry on Google, I seem to have been inundated on all other sites with adverts ranging from BNP membership, masochistic night clubs and 250cc kawasaki powered self harm dildo`s, how strange !.

43. glic says:

Ps
    Does anyone know which is the Colin Bell Stand ? did we score in the Bell End ?.

I am glad someone else mentioned Giroud’s performance when he came on.

I really get the feeling that is was explained to him in the week that the important thing is not that you score it is that we win.

He just had a far more confident air about him.

As for goals I don’t expect him to really start firing on all four cylinders until after Christmas.

And that is fine.

Fine comments from Jens – This would have been apt on yesterday’s blog.

……………………………………………………………………..

By Jens Lehmann:

Former Arsenal and Germany goalkeeper Goalkeeper Jens Lehmann made 148 appearances for Arsenal during a five-year spell with the Gunners and played in every game of their historic unbeaten Premier League campaign of 2003-04.

Now an ambassador for the Laureus Sport for Good Foundation, the former German international talks about Arsenal’s decision to let Robin van Persie leave, their defensive improvement and his relationship with Gunners boss Arsene Wenger.

No longer relying on Robin

When you see Robin van Persie, a player who wants to leave for money and probably because he thinks that somewhere else it is easier to win, you have to let him go.

He had only one year left on his contract and had just completed his first campaign without an injury in eight or nine years, an extraordinary season for Robin. Then Arsenal had to make a decision – do they keep him or do they let him go?

The future will tell us, along with what will come into place next year with the introduction of Uefa’s financial fair play rules. Then we will see how these rules actually come into play for clubs like Chelsea and Manchester City. It could turn out that clubs like Arsenal are all of a sudden far ahead of their rivals.

Building from the back

You can already see the benefit of appointing Steve Bould and Neil Banfield as coaches, because prior to 15 September Arsenal had not conceded a goal. That was a great achievement.

You can already see that there is some progress in that department. I hope that there will be a good balance between Arsene’s offensive mindset and Bould and Banfield’s secure tactics, which actually wins you trophies. I’m quite optimistic about the current season and hope of course that Arsenal will win something.

Becoming an Invincible

When I played for Arsenal my biggest moment probably was the 2003-04 season, when we did not lose a game as we won the Premier League title. At the time we didn’t realise how big it was and how good we were. That team should have won more trophies, because we were the best team by far.

Early in the season we played Manchester United, and in the last minute they had a penalty. Ruud van Nistelrooy missed, hitting the crossbar. That was probably the defining moment when we knew we could go quite far, as luck was on our side.

Winning the trophy without losing a game was the biggest thing I’ve ever achieved.

Playing alongside the greats

When I was at Arsenal Thierry Henry was at his peak. There were some other great guys too – Dennis Bergkamp, Patrick Vieira, Sol Campbell and Ashley Cole. I could name the whole team, because everybody played his role and everybody respected each other. We had a fantastic team spirit.

We once played Inter Milan and nearly got knocked out of the Champions League. We knew we had to get a result and all of a sudden this team really stood up. We beat them 5-1 in Milan, and so it showed us at the time how great we were as a team. The team spirit was vital to achieve such things.

Working under Wenger

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is a coach who does not only inspire you on the pitch but off as well, because when you talk to him you always find it very exciting and you’re always getting some great information. I think that is what makes a great coach.

He made Arsenal – he bought and sold so many players and has a fantastic financial track record. The new stadium and everything built comes down to him and to his performance.

But although I quite enjoyed working for him, there were times it was psychologically very, very demanding.

I argued with him quite often, particularly when he dropped me.

But there was always a professional relationship and a private one, and the private one is still very good right now.

I’m doing my coaching licence at Arsenal, which is a big gesture, and I really appreciate that.

Jens Lehmann was speaking in his capacity as an ambassador for the Laureus Sport for Good Foundation.

So Jens is hanging out at London Colney……….interesting.

47. weedonald says:

Chas…………great post and very humourous indeed…agree with your ratings and feel Mannone is getting better every game…fine saves at MC and great game from Per,Kos,Gibbs and Jenkinson!

how does Aw do it???

chas. Very enjoyable read, problem with such fine writing is that you have put yourself in the frame as match analyst (alongside TA).

Really like new simile such as “heavy as NaSri’s wallet”

As was said earlier Mankini is nowhere near as good a tactician as AW – he is too re-active whereas AW thinks ahead and plans accordingly. The inclusion of Ramsey, thus creating a 4-4-2 was inspired, and one can only assume the Welshman has been on top form on the training ground.

Then widening the pitch by bringing on Theo and Giroud plus pushing the Mekon out to the left meant that MC had different questions to answer.

Dix point a Monsieur Wenger

Superb and hilarious write-up Chas.

I am so pleased you will be doing the match reports from now on. Just think of those lucky little matches, tucked up snugly in a BR-Chas sandwich :)

Haven’t got much to add because everyone else has made all the sensible comments. Just a couple of thoughts:

I agree with those praising Giroud’s performance. He helped swing the momentum back in our favour after we had suffered a dodgy 25 minutes.

Mannone had a really good game apart from wrongly coming for the cross that led to their goal. In the few games he’s had, the young Italian has made a succession of top grade stops and only a couple of mistakes. If it wasn’t that we all know he’s inexperienced at this level and that he had that ricket in the CL, I think he would be getting a lot more praise than he is.

50. richie says:

Hello all good write up great result, yes if Gervinho could finish we would´ve won it hands down but if me uncle was my aunt etc etc. Since his Lillie days Ger has only ever been a goal every 2 games or so and in the prem you get less time than the French league, what I´m trying to say is under Arsene Gerv might well improve (who doesn´t right)? but this isn´t another of Arsene´s magic hat tricks, he´s not going to turn water into wine this time around. What we really need is Girou to lead the line plus the supporting caste to continue to do their bit and Girou is still coming to terms with the prem as LB says above. He needs a goal all strikers need a goal especially in a new league. Generally I´m liking the far more balanced look of the team as I´m sure as you my Gooner bro´s.

Anyone notice our players getting in each others way? Its often caused by a lack of positional discipline. Talking of which my current lack of positional discipline means I´m still stuck on a boat in the med with no internet hence my bi-monthly contributions. I only head for land when we´ve got a game on the horizon, so not leaving port till after Tuesday just hope its being televised……….anyone know?

51. Bayonne Jean says:

Great writeup, Chas, and to everyone else on the value of Giroud. You all stole my thunder. And he might have broken his duck if Gervinho, instead of blazing over the bar at the end, had given a little lay off to a well positioned wide open Giroud.

Speaking of breaking the duck, might it be worth it to start Giroud in the formerly known as Carling Cup match to try to get that first goal in the bank? Get it early on in the match and sub him out early on, so he can help send John Terry into EPL
    retirement to add to his international adieu on Saturday?

52. goonermichael says:

Great match report chas thanks. That vid of Kozzer scoring is fantastic. Every out field player celebrates with him. We are more of a team now that dutch twat is gone.

53. goonermichael says:

Fantastic pictures too chas. You are the master of visuals.

Who’s going on Wednesday or don’t you ST holders slum it in the CC

54. evonne says:

Richie – the game in on Wedenesday, I am checking for you if it’s on TV, but had no luck yet apart from the obvious – Aresnal player and streaming

Players might be getting in each other’s way because they have only played 6 games as a team, give them a chance :)

55. evonne says:

GM – dutch twat celebrated his penalty on his own :)

Following Illybongani’s comment last night I had a quick look on the Man City blog “Blue Moon.”

It was very funny.

I saw several comments where they consoled themselves by saying that Citeh had lots of room to improve and they had been playing Arsenal “at their best.”

“At our best?” Dear God. With a bunch of new players still getting used to each other; with a bunch of likely “first team” players out (Szcz, Verm, Jack, Sagna); with new players still getting used to the EPL…

When we are “at our best” (which will be later this season) we will hammer them.

Richie. You lucky blighter – where are you? Need a galley slave.

I would be surprised to see OG start on Wds but will think more about it tomorrow

Great comment Rocky

Fighting spirit, absolutely bang on.

59. goonermichael says:

It’s funny how no one really takes us seriously though.

We gave shitty a great game
    We pissed on Southampton after the 2 manc clubs struggled
    We beat the bindippers fairly comfortably but the mancs need one sent off and a dodgy pen.

Is Richie working or is he swanning around the med?

Too true GM.

Chavs game will be interesting. A win against them and then everyone will start looking up.

To think we have already got away games against the Dippers, the Orcs and the North Oilers out of the way and we are still unbeaten is pretty impressive.

And bear in mind Gn5’s point that our second “segment” of games up to Christmas involves none of the top teams.

Swanning around the Med LB. But you’re too late – BR has already volunteered for galley slave and I’m putting myself forward for powder monkey. Whatever that is.

63. goonermichael says:

If we can play against the “smaller” (no disrespect intended)teams like we did against Southampton we’ll be up around the top in January

I can’t write I am too jealous.

RL. :-). My powder monkey days are well behind me!

GM. Makes no difference who we play – we are The Arsenal. We are the men in the white hats

66. evonne says:

I am not a man in white hat

You could be if you wanted it enough

Going by the regulars on here, we should be more worried about the men in white coats. Or women (evonne) :)

69. evonne says:

ha ha ha, the fact that I am completely bonkers is not a great secret :)

70. evonne says:

did you know that AVB spent £53mil already?

callers on talkpoo radio were saying that JT has no pace and England has other defenders with more pace. The radio presenter asked ‘But do they have John Terry’s intelligence’ and added very quickly ‘for a center half?’

Speaking of bonkers, where’s that rouge-bottomed chap?

Come to think of it, he said he was getting up at 4.30am today so perhaps he’s having a teatime nap…

72. glic says:

It`s all right for some, swanning around the med`. Obviously the current financial down turn hasn`t affected our admirable Admiral richie !.
    Where as I am feeling the pinch, it`s got so bad that I have to wait `till the early hours of the morning to torture my Mother in Law on economy 7 tariff electricity !. Damn you richie !.

RL. Do you have plans to get to Blighty and see a game? It would be good to meet and with some notice I can arrange a cheap flight.

Last time in UK, I tried to find GM but he wasn’t in the salon.

GLIC. How is the very little one?

75. glic says:

Touch wood Raddy, he`s doing fine. A lot of the wires and tubes have been removed and he might be coming out of High Dependancy into Intentsive Care. I wont go near the Hospital at the moment as I have a bit of a cold. Thanks for asking. :)

76. glic says:

Rocky
    Bonkers is spot on. I have it on good authority that Redders has been sacked from the Monster Raving Looney Party, aparrantly his manifesto was too Bonkers !.

GLIC. Great. I will sacrifice a virgin to thank the Gods (if I can find one in Denmark).

BR
    I might be getting over in the next few weeks – just waiting to confirm. Obviously I need to make sure my business tallies with a home game :)

As soon as I know I will let you know – it would be so great to meet up.

I had the same idea of popping into Michael’s salon for a cut and winding him about how great BSR is, and how much I love Cesc and John Terry and SAF… but then I remembered that he would be the one holding the scissors…

GLiC
    That sounds very encouraging! He’s clearly a tough little Gooner.

80. goonermichael says:

When are you coming over Raddy?

Good news glic!

81. glic says:

Touch wood Rocky.
    You must be rich if you can afford a session of styling with gm, I`d have to barter with him and pay him in pasties !.
    Then again he is a stylish gooner and in a posh part of town, a bit different to his spud counterparts in N17, where they have some none too friendly shop names like, ” Look at me and I`ll cut you ” and ” bleed you slag “, but then again what do you expect from the swamplands.

82. glic says:

cheers gm !.

GLiC
    Once Michael had done his magic with my barnet I was planning to do a runner. But don’t tell him.

84. GLiC, :)

Good to hear things are improving for your little Gooner grandson!

85. Red Arse says:

Rocky,

If you should visit GM’s esteemed salon; and if he should shear off an ear or two; by accident – of course – I hope you would bear in mind, as he does it, the salutary words of the wondrous Will Shakespeare, or was it Sharkespeare – well who knows, but I imagine GM would say something like this;

“Friends, Romans, countrymen, and Rocky, lend me your ears:
    I come to bury RVP, not to praise him
    The evil that the Mancs do lives after them:
    the good is oft interred with their bones.
    So let it be with RVP. The noble GM
    Hath told you, RVP was ambitious:
    If it were so, it was a grievous fault,
    And therefore, Rock a Doodle, I need take your lugholes!”

Bonkers? Who’s bonkers? Forsooth, it can aught be me, sire!

86. goonermichael says:

lol

87. Red Arse says:

Does he look like you, Glic? :-)

GM. Ask Rocky as to when I am coming over !

I am in London for the weekend Oct 5th but there is no footy at THOF, which I can only put down to bad planning by Mrs Raddy.

89. evonne says:

Glic – lovely jubbly, he’ll be going to the Tavern in no time at all :)

Raddy and Rocky – I think GM specializes in very elaborate Japanese hair does, I am not sure it would suit either of you :)

90. evonne says:

Kelsey and GiE would look lovely with White Geisha :)

91. glic says:

Alas Redders he looks nothing like me, but he is also outrageouly handsome in a wrinkly sort of way !. No doubt we will be fighting as to who will get to the mirror first to snog it !.

92. glic says:

Yes e va va vonne
    I dont like wishing my life away, but I cant wait to be at the Ems ( and tavern ) with Son and Grandson, what a feeling that would be !. :)

93. Red Arse says:

You are a right old softy, Glicster!!! :-)

Glic. We should make an AA party to celebrate his first game. Peaches will arrange it.

95. evonne says:

Glic – what a feeling? I’ve no idea. My son is not that interested in football and grandson has 4 paws and is not allowed on the grounds. So you will have to tell me!

96. glic says:

Sounds good Raddy. :)
    What is a good age to take him to his first game ?. An age when he can understand and walk without being carried,sing spud hating song`s, wont get bored and fall asleep, no nappy changing etc ?. 21 ? :)

97. Rob Lucci says:

from ESPN Soccernet..

………………………………………………………………………………………….

Walcott, 23, is in the final year of his contract and Arsene Wenger has suggested he could be offloaded in January if the situation is not resolved.

However, the forward has stressed that he does not want to leave the club and reiterated that he still aims to become a “club legend” like Thierry Henry.

“It’s a slow process,” Walcott said. “My last contract took over six months to happen. Hopefully it can be sorted out.

“I’ve never said I wanted to go, I’ve always wanted to stay. I want to be an Arsenal legend. Thierry joined the club when he was 22 and I want to become an Arsenal legend like him, playing up front as well, which is a big factor for me. I’ve played on the right wing and had the opportunity to play up front a bit more so I think it’s about time.

“That speculation on the money side of it has never been me. That’s not me. I’m not the sort of person who’s influenced by money. I always make my decisions based on football and only football. Hopefully something can be sorted out. I’ll just wait for the club to get back to us now and go from there.

“It’s one of those things that happens in the game. If it comes to it, if the club had to sell me, I’d be disappointed but, like I said, hopefully something can be sorted.”

98. evonne says:

Rob – if true, than he is a decent lad. And not stupid wanting to become the Club’s legend, who wouldn’t? Unless thick as poo and gready as Na$ri

99. jnyc says:

Rasp, i just wanna say that mancinis behavior is a SURE sign that we are in a title battle this season. He will not give us praise because now we are a real threat in his eyes. If we werent, he would be more likely to say good things. You know he is pretty insecure. — i feel happy to see him act like this, because he knows when he sees quality. And i saw Mourihno complimenting us vvery nicely yesterday. Even though hes a jerk, i believe him, because the substance of his reasons were right. And of course we have to respect his football opinions, at least

100. jnyc says:

Nice summary by Chas.

101. That is very perceptive of you Johnnie. Mankini is simply worried about us now! :)

I always despise it when Red Nose is trying to cuddle up to Arsene. He only did/does it because he does not see us as a threat, and I wish Arsene will wind him up properly when we play the Mancs again. :)

Next up in the PL we have Chelsea at home, the only top 4 team we play in the following 15 games is Man U along with 2 tough games against Spurs and Newcastle. So it looks like a period where we need to take full advantage of the schedule and rack up the points as that period is followed by consecutive games against Man C, Chelsea, Liverpool and Stoke.

103. glic says:

I have a cunning plan to wind up Fergie, simple really, Arsene greets him on the pitch with a glaswegian accent whilst wearing a Comic Relief Red Nose !. I`d pay good money to see the Sweaty Socks reaction !. Buster Bloodvessel comes to mind. :)

104. evonne says:

TA – Fergie trying to cuddle up to Arsene :)

105. glic says:

I think I got my ” High Dependency ” and ” Intensive Care ” mixed up before, silly me , but he`s getting better ! :oops:

106. GLiC, that is very creative of you and it could work. :)

But I reckon Frimpong kicking the ‘ooh pooh’ out of brave sir robin would reignite the hostilities again properly! :)

107. Hi Evonne, it makes one shiver thinking of it – bah! :(

108. GLiC, you are excused! :)

109. Gooner In Exile says:

Norfolk mobile Internet has let me downing commenting today but I have read a lot of comments eager to join in and them seem my data disappear to the ether. So excuse the longish post.

Firstly Chas a fantastic report that had me living the game again….a good thing. Loved the little football humour chucked in for good measure and to increase the enjoyment.

Rasp you mentioned keeping your mind off the Theo problem. For me there isn’t a problem, he isn’t good enough to start given our current players.

Chas thanks for the Jenkinson plaque. Give us 11 men with his love for the club and attitude on the pitch and we would be very happy bunnies on the terraces.

The celebration pics were great the second one was interesting because even though Theo was on top of the pile he still seems out of the picture, or separate from the group.

Agree with all those who said Giroud had a positive effect on the game.

GM is so right about the fact that the media are ignoring us at the moment, but odds have cone down to 9/1.

110. glic says:

Total
    I think there could be a queue for that, but stuck in the middle of a Pong Verm sandwich would be that crunchie filling !.
    Listening to Fans Forum on Arsenal Player, Pong could be on the Bench on Wednesday.

111. Hi all

Very late to the party as I’m packing up my house which is sooooo boring for the third time in two years :( but has to be done as the roof is coming off on Wednesday fingers crossed.

chas – what a marvelous match report, it was like we were sitting in The Tavern and you were telling me all about the game, please do more :)

Oh Dennis, wasn’t the football amazing in the first half, I loved every minute, well up to the 40th minute anyway. I love watching us play teams off the park ….. and you’re right Kompany was pretty miffed that we were so much better than them :lol:

I don’t want to get carried away because then I’ll come down with a huge bump but my spud supporting brother is here for the weekend and was taken to the shit-hole yesterday. My mum texted me last night saying ‘one of my children was must be very happy with their football team’ and I replied ‘well that must be me, as we played like champions and his team played like sh*t’ hahahahahaha He did agree that they were lucky to get the three points.

Bring on the chavs I say :D

112. glic – lovely news about the teeny tiny one :)

I took my son to HIghbury when he was 9 – sadly he succumbed to peer pressure and became a mank, I know I know dreadful state of affairs but he did enjoy himself. It did make me laugh though when he told me he couldn’t hear the commentator :)

Thanks to a suggestion from ” a Gooner in Louisville, KY: trob13.” we now have yet another widget for me to keep up to date comparing our league position game by game against last season … now stop it with the widget requests you lot :roll:

Hi peaches, I took my youngest to Highbury when he was 7 and spent most of the time lifting him up so he could see the action ..

115. ……. but at least yours remained a gooner ;)

My youngest fell asleep on my lap when I took him the first time (aged about 5). Then when we scored and everyone jumped up and yelled he woke up and burst into tears.

Ardent Gooner now though :)

Aha true, my superior parenting skills obviously :lol:

118. Gooner In Exile says:

Rasp is the Cazorla Foot Fetish Club widget still being designed? :)

:? GiE, you do the research and I’ll put it up!

120. Gooner In Exile says:

Missed your good news earlier GliC, modern medical ability never fails to amaze me with the human ability to survive as well, my cousin just had their second baby who was born 16 weeks early and is now home and piling on the pounds.

2 years ago close friends of ours had a baby who was born with a failing heart. The baby was in Gt Ormond St within ten minutes of being born and having a pace maker fitted and is now as healthy as any other toddler she plays with.

Rocky, if you’re reading, your post for tomorrow is an absolute gem – do you think we could use a more spicy title to get the readership?

Thanks to everybody else that has lied through their teeth and said it was a good match report. I don’t mind doing the odd one now and again. Games I attend are usually a haze of cheering and swearing, interspersed with much jumping up and down (if we’re playing well that is). Much better if someone sat at home quietly gives a calm and balanced view.

Peaches,
    I don’t think I’ve ever spoken to you about football in the Tavern. True? :)

Rasp,
    If the green on the new widget means Champions League, those spuddies aren’t going to be too pleased about last season.

……………..Arsenal Arsenal
    by far the greatest widgets on the ‘net……

:lol: chas, the background colour for totnum widgets is brown and has steam coming off it :oops:

Actually chas, I was lying, your match report was decidedly average – you need much more practice :roll:

125. 26may1989 says:

Evening all.

GLIC, have I missed something, have you had an early born grandson? Sounds like everything is ok, so I’ll just say well done to the whole In Cornwall family. I don’t know how prem your littl’un was, but it is staggering what the docs and nurses can do with premature babies these days. Well done to all of your guys.

I read Peaches’ 9.27pm with interest. It seems Peaches’ Mum is a bit more tolerant on the language front than we might have thought: Peaches texted her saying “well that must be me, as we played like champions and his team played like sh*t”. Great news, let the profanity begin…….

Of course Rasp – you never need to ask.

127. glic says:

I`m pleasantly surprised and overwhelmed by all the AAers support for my grandson. We may have our diferences at times, but when it matters you show your special true colours.
    Nite and thank you. :)

128. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

15 hrs on the graveyard shift.. It would have felt like 30hrs on the back of a loss..But hey, still undefeated and 3 tricky fixtures out of the way..Work was so breezy last night, and i was smiling the whole time :-)

Undefeated baby!

Not bad for a team with a slow CB, an amateur right back, a 3rd choice (or 2nd or 4th choice if you will) keeper defending a goal with a back line that conceded 49 last term!

Not bad at all..

Yet to read the post, but before i do i would like to thank you Chas for taking the time as im sure ill enjoy it, along with some juicy comments..

Right, off for a S.S.S first..

Happy dayz!

129. oz gunner says:

@ Chas

like others have said top notch match report. We are spoilt for choice with the likes of you, Rocky, GiE, 26,and TA reviewing matches. Long may it continue

@ 26

bum,poop,willy,boobs!

@ GLIC

hahaha fighting to get in front of the mirror. For some reason I picture your grandson in a room full of babies, fighting off all the girl ones as they try and get into his basket. Hope you get better so you can visit more

130. Gooner In Exile says:

Been thinking about the Terry case, I think the writing is on the wall for a ban. Part of me thinks that he and his counsel wanted the Legal Charge as they knew it was unprovable (beyond reasonable doubt), and also by getting the trisl date set post Euros he could still gain the sponsorship extras for appearing in international tournaments.

I also wonder if they believed as a result the not guilty verdict would transfer to the FA charge being dropped. I said at the time in light of Suarez ruling the precedent had already been set so I fully believed the FA would still act.

131. oz gunner says:

For those music lovers on AA. Look no further than ‘Mumford and Sons – Babel’

Came out on Sunday, and it is one hell of an album, those boys have some serious talent.

132. If Suarez went to court now they’d throw his case out in 2 minutes. No evidence and no witnesses. He may not even have broken the law.

Cheers Oz
    Is it better than their last album?

134. oz gunner says:

mmm tough to say, although it hasn’t come off repeat, I love ‘Sign no more’. It seems as though this album is more consistent, whereas their last had a few absolute belters. Time will tell, one thing is for sure Rocky, you will be jigging and thumping your feet when listening

Here’s a little something for the Santi’s Feet Appreciation Society.

136. 26may1989 says:

You may have seen a newsnow link described as a video showing Wenger snubbing Clichy before the match on Sunday. Actually, I think that’s a misinterpretation but the MCFC tunnel cam video is quite interesting, if you’ve got 20 minutes to spare. See http://www.mcfc.co.uk/citytv/Features/2012/September/Tunnel-Cam-City-v-Arsenal.

I liked the bits where various City players show a mixture of horror and sarcasm about the Manchester climate, and the camaraderie amongst many of the main figures, especially Wenger and Vieira and Yaya.

137. evonne says:

Chas – and that’s just from one game! The look on Yaya’s face says it all – the little geezer is unplayable :) and he has the most infectious smile, gorgeous

138. 26may1989 says:

You may have seen this already (there’s a newsnow link wrongly suggesting a Wenger snub of Clichy). The behind the scenes views of players and coaches on Sunday is interesting, especially without stupid commentary. Lots of camaraderie between players and between Wenger and figures like Vieira and Yaya, and plenty of sarcasm and horror amongst the City players about Manchester’s weather. No sign of any affection between Mankini and his players.

PS: Why don’t Arsenal TV do stuff like this?

139. evonne says:

26may – M?? :) I spotted Peaches’ mother’s expression with interest too

140. 26may1989 says:

Morning all. I’ve tried posting something a couple of times, but I think it must be blocked because there’s a video link. Peaches or Rasp, if you get the chance to fish one of them out of the firewall blockage, great, no need for both though.

Busy little fellow isn’t he?

As was pointed out … Sinclair, Garcia, Nasavacicic (?)

or Sahin, Allen, Borini

or Dembele, Ade, Lloris, Dempsey

or OG, LuLu, Santi.

What a summer of business

142. 26may1989 says:

Apols evonne, posting from iPhones isn’t always reliable. :)

26. See above …..

144. 26may1989 says:

Tak, Raddy.

I think, you’re right, 26.
    Wenger just didn’t recognise the new strange haircut.
    Thanks for the link, I’ve seen bits but the whole lot should be interesting.

I’d seen Santi and David Silva hugging on here.

Can you imagine tunnel cam at Arsenal on the infamous Cesc “spitting” at Phil Brown and Brian Horton night!

Tunnel vision, what a brilliant thing.

Thanks for that 26, how on earth did you find it?

Morning all ……

….. New post …….

Morning all.

So Theo has gone public that it’s not all about money .he is adamant he wants to be a striker.

Can we have a poll on that ?