Franklin D. Roosevelt’s pre-match advice.

There is a belief that today will have a big impact on how the season will develop for Arsenal, I understand why but do not agree. This is just a 3 point away game – same as any other. Yes, MC are Champions and rivals and one could say this is a 6 pointer but we have seen teams win the title whilst losing to their direct opposition; consistency is the key to winning the title, ask SAF.

And what is point of the above? Well, it is about pressure, pressure causes fear and fear results in our not playing to our highest level.  Think of the young Theo Walcott. First games he was superb and we thought we had signed the next Overmars, but Theo was too young and impressionable to cope with such expectation and suffered accordingly. Thankfully he has rediscovered some of his youthful verve and precocity, assisted but the new kid on the blocks maturity. Fear messes you up  (I was going to use language Peaches’ mother would have found offensive :-) )

Today is not a Championship decider, far from it; a loss to Norwich/WBA will do as much damage to our pretensions. But, of course, we are not going to lose…..

Manchester City: MC come into the game on the back of two tough away games. I thought they played very well against Madrid and were unlucky not to get at least a point, however they were fortunate at the Orcs and we must hope they perform as poorly today. I fear that if both teams play to their maximum potential we will lose. City have a truly stellar team particularly in attack, however there are weaknesses – Maicon or Kolarov are susceptible to pace. Clichy we know is prone to the odd quirk. Sadly, Kompany has proved himself to be an excellent defender – possibly the best in the PL.

€400m buys you a very good side, in fact it buys you the title of Champions. It can buy you YaYa Toure, a colossus of a player, and the will o’ the wisp talents of David Silva. A front line of Aguero, Tevez and/or Dzeko is potent but we have a defence which on a good day can cope with their movement.

Which brings me onto the manager. I liked Mankini, he seems to be a principled man, a deep thinker about the game and he has that wonderful Italian brio, BUT in my eyes the Tevez palaver lost him any kudos he had. How can a manager bend over to a player like that? Pragmatism is one thing, public humiliation another. Would Mr Wenger have given Tevez another chance? Ask Pennant, Bentley, Song, etc etc Diss the Arsenal and you get shown the door – no matter how good you are. Watching Tevez kiss the badge is sickening. If any manager could be arsed to deal with Tevez’s advisors he would be anywhere but in Manchester, but no-one would take the risk of signing a flake, a brilliant footballer but a flake.

Arsenal: Koscielny or Mertesacker or Vermaelen? The playing of BFG midweek would indicate that Mr Wenger will start with Koscielny and TV. That said, Kos has no pitch time and BFG has been superb so far, plus there is a 5 day gap between games. Tough decision and an important one. Will AW risk an attacking midfield or go for a more defensive set up with Coquelin instead of Diaby? Diaby was poor second half in France, but he gives height to the midfield which could be important at set pieces. I would like to see Coquelin but expect to see Diaby :-)

The full backs pick themselves though I would love to see Santos get a game  – he offers something extra insomuch as he is a better crosser than Gibbs and can play left side midfield.

Should AW continue with The Gerv in the centre or bring back Giroud? Will OG’s aerial expertise trouble the City CB’s more than the pace and unpredictability of The Mekon? The Ox or Theo ?

My team:

The bench is getting stronger as players return from injury. We must hope Don Vito gets through unscathed. Good as Shea is, he is not ready for such a high profile game watched by a billion people.

Just loved this man – a season ticket holder in the West Stand

My hope is that we play our possession passing game and not revert to the second half performance of Tuesday. Should we continue to play as a unit and work hard  in City’s half, we can win this fixture. If we sit back and defend it will be a long afternoon.

“The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.” (FDR Inaugural speech 1933)

COYRRG

written by Big Raddy

369 Responses to Franklin D. Roosevelt’s pre-match advice.

Great PM Raddy, I don’t get the feeling that the new players fear other teams or failure itself. They’ve all played on big stages and probably wonder what all the fuss is about. It seems that city fear us at least as much as we may fear them.

Marty Feldman would have made the perfect linesman for offside decisions – he could watch the player kicking the ball and forward run at the same time :lol:

2. Red Arse says:

Great pre-match Post, Raddy, :-)

During your research did you come across any suggestion that Marty fathered Chamakh?

You mentioned Theo as a precocious youngster, and I remember being so excited that we had beaten off other big clubs to land him.

Theo has not yet been the player many of us had hoped he would be, and I suspect our original expectations have also colored the somewhat negative reactions (mine included) that have accompanied another lacklustre, inconsistent performance.

I still think he could come good, but my expectations now are correspondingly much less than they were.

3. Great post Raddy, Marty Feldman always reminds me of my Mum for some reason

4. I think Theo is on his way out. It will be interesting to see who wants him

5. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Thanks for the pre-match Raddy. Top read!

Looking forward to the game i believe Wenger will send out his troops with a no-fear approach. The fact that we play in Shittyville will work in our favour and their fans will want to see their over rated team attacking. We have the players and if our passing game is Wenger precision standards, than we will rip them a new one on the counter.. I would start with BFG, yes you can argue all day long but why fix it, if it ain’t broke?.. Up front im not fussed, whether its the swerve (love his adopting of the bsr salute/brushing the shoulder) or Giroo, they will all have a go by the 90min..

My only real worry is that Mancini goes in for the kill. His ‘brutal murder’ assault on our key players.. By picking his B team or fringe players like Balotelli, Milner, Kolarov in order to target our weapons such as Santi etc. I wouldnt put it past him, he might draw the game, but he could fook us in the long term..

In saying all that, i trully believe they fear us. Mancini fears Wenger

Tight game for 80 min then we run riot. 1-2, to the good guys of course..And our beast Poldi to be MotM..,

COYRRG

Ps..That guy in the pic? Is that Ozils’ Uncle? :-)

Damn, I like a Raddy Pre-Match, and today is no exception. Bravo.
    Here’s a thing, I disagree with something.
    You say: “pressure causes fear and fear results in our not playing to our highest level”. I don’t think so. Look at last season. Over confidence appears to be the problem. Fear, on the other hand, sharpens the senses and highlights the difference between men and boys. It is the big games that bring out the winners and fighters, and I believe we have an abundance of them this season.
    We will not be going down without a fight, that’s for sure.

7. 26may1989 says:

Great stuff, Raddy. I can’t help it, I still think of City as the club they were before the tidal wave of cash hit them – likeable losers. I’m sure many of them are perfectly happy being detestable winners, but, great as they are on the pitch, I certainly do detest them.

You’re right of course that it’s just three points. But get a draw or even a win, and it will push us forward both in terms of raw points and in terms of psychology.

It’ll be a tough one, no doubt about that, even with City looking shaky at the back. In all competitions, their home record since we last won up there is P51 W43 D5 L3, with Everton the last visitors to win there in the league, in December 2010. That is some record.

But we can succeed today, I’m sure of that.

I agree with you on the line-ups, though I was also wondering about Ramsey as an alternative to Diaby. But Diaby’s the one in the end. And if we need to firm things up during the game, we could put Poldi up top, and bring Gerv off for Santos, who could play left midfield.

Re sub GK, I would expect Martinez to be on the bench. Hopefully, we won’t be seeing anything of him though.

Love the Marty Feldman reference: took me back to the 1970s Remake of Beau Geste.

Mmmm, another thing.
    “The playing of BFG midweek would indicate that Mr Wenger will start with Koscielny and TV”….interesting take.
    Personally, I’m such a big fan of CB understanding, that I’d stick with Mert and Verm, but if you’re right about Kos starting, could it be alongside Mert?

9. 26may1989 says:

Completely agree micky: when a player’s in form, pick him. Doubly so when you’re talking about the key partnerships, like at CB. Mert has to be in the XI. Can’t see TV being benched at this point, perhaps after the Chelsea game but not before then. Kos’s time will come, we’re just lucky to have the choice.

10. evonne says:

Is Marty Feldman the name of the guy with big blue eyes?

Great PM BR, thank you

26,
    You leave me no option other than to agree with you :-)

12. evonne says:

Raddy – I agree about fear being a crippling disease; I never thought about Theo being scared, but you might be right.
    It is a shame that I have to accept your prediction – if both teams play to their full potential, then we lose :( Thankfully, football is a funny old game and that b**ch Karma might decide to be on our side today

I’m sure that Irish’ decision not to blog until we lose will help a great deal too!
    And I sincerely hope that Irish NEVER blogs with us again :)

13. 26may1989 says:

I miss Irish!

14. 26may1989 says:

OK, I’m off for a bike ride – nothing of LB proportions, but something to blow away some cobwebs. Catch you lot at 4pm.

Fantastic post Raddy, realy enjoyed reading it, so thank you.

It is interesting that in the next seven days we go into battle with 2 football clubs that have built there current teams on the back of hugh amounts of money pumped in by owners

You talk about fear Raddy, and i think it is very pertinent. Are we coming out of the shadow that has kept us out of the top 2 since the invincibles? Cant rembember who, but did not one of our directors say that “they have parked the tanks on our lawn and our fireing £50 notes at us”

Despite all disagreements between our support about tactics, transfers, investment, players etc, the stone cold reality for lack of silverware has been the emergence of Chelsea and City. I personaly feel that the shadow of there “Tanks” is beggining to lift. You are correct, we have nothing to fear. The gap has narrowed and will continue to narrow further. Soon it will be us parking the cannons on there lawn, and we will be fireing our special brand of quality at them.

16. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

ill have a beer for you too 26…enjoy. :-)

I’m not having a go at Evonne or Theo (well, maybe in his case!) but some people just do bottle it when confronted by fear, whereas some rise to the occasion. In footballspeak, they call them Big Game Players.

18. oz gunner says:

cheers for the PM Big Dandy, game time is too far away unfortunately. The thing that annoys me the most is City’s best player (kompany) only cost them 6 million. It’d sit a lot better if he cost 50 and was never in our price range. Then again we have 3 stand outs now.

@ Evonne

Get rid of that attitude, full strength we are top dogs. Repeat it for me…TOP DOGS!

19. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

I feel good about today. Can hardly wait for team news….but I just can’t see Mert being rested. I think he’s our main defensive organiser.

20. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

Radders, I think this team has no fear, and I think they’ll prove it today with a very good pperformance…which I hope/expect to bring us 3pts

21. barumgooner says:

Nice post as always. I agree that this game is not that vital for us, coming at such an early stage in the season we actually have nothing to lose and everything to gain. We are probably expected to lose, a point away would be good but if we win it’ll be a great result. I would like to see Ramsey or LeCoq ahead of Diaby today, I’m not a fan of Diaby but would admit that he has looked good at times this year, my concern is that he does have a habit of screwing things up in big games and I think we need a more intelligent head in there today.
    I will be sad if Theo does go but I dont really blame him, he came to us as a very promising Owen-type striker and AW has continually played him as a winger where he has been slated by anyone and everyone for being poor at the role. I think if he does go to a team who actually plays to his strengths he will be a very effective and useful player but unless we revert back to 4-4-2 it isn’t going to happen for him at the Arsenal.

22. barumgooner says:

By the way. I predict one-nil to the Arsenal.

23. glic says:

Thanks again to all you AAers. :)
    Nice read BR.
    According to my Mum, Marty was a friend of my Dad, so I always followed his comedy.
    What I find interesting at the Etihad, is the reading out of the teams from the top of the Etihad Mosque !.
    Also interesting is that the Gallagher family like to watch from the Colin Bell stand, The Bell End !.
    What tactics will we play today ?. To tell the truth, I`ve been playing and watching football for over 50 years and still haven`t a clue about tactics ( yes ,I know stretch, you like the green ones !), mind you, I`ve been sentenced……..sorry married for 35 years and still dont understand women !. Have a great match day and thank you again. :)

Nice jitterbugging pre-match, BR.

A little match day vid to get us in the mood.

Hi glic, let me add my best wishes for the wellbeing of your grandson – it must be very worrying tmes for you all.

26. Rhyle says:

Great pre-match, Raddy – though I think the BFG starts, my preference would be Kozzer bearing in mind the movement of the City front men…

Fear. It’s a tough one. Think you’re right in that fear’s a problem in individuals – I remember Theo needing a nice, big cuddle from Henry before playing – but for teams, as Micky put it above, it’s brings the best out of those capable of stepping up.

Confident that we come away with something today, and that, for me, is why there’s been the focus on the next few games being season-defining – they tell us exactly where we are in the grand scheme of things and, psychologically, that could be huge. All managers (especially ours) talks of “mental strength” and a “winning mentality”, and these are the games that define them!

Marty Feldman…even at 36 I’m a bit young for his TV work, but he nicks every scene of Young Frankenstein he’s in. Magic and one of my favourite comedies (although it’s been sitting in my “to watch” DVD drawer for about a year…ho hum…didn’t know he was a gooner?! Raddy moves him from “great” to “legend” in one post.

Have a good day folks, see you at 4 for the fun!

Typically fine pre-match BR, well done.

Today is neither a make nor a break game but it is a game where we will be able to measure and gauge our future expectations.
    It will be a stern test against an outstanding offence and mid-field, in fact one of the best all round teams in football.

A win is not out of the question and would really put wind in our sails, whereas a loss could be deflating and with Chelsea as our next PL opponents that could be damaging.

I expect a first class encounter and may the best team win, without any help from the officials..

28. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

Good point Oz…they signed him at a time when we werent exactly blessed at CB as well.

Although the what the hell Kompany was doing ducking on Tues night, God only knows. More of the same today please.

29. glic says:

Hi rasp
    I know you`ve made an honest mistake, but it`s the Grandson, the Grand daughters with me now and is ok. A quick bit of moderating and it will be right !. :)

Best wishes, glic.
    I know nothing about kids.
    I remember some friends of friends having a tiny baby weighing 2lbs at birth.
    They called her Sugar and she grew up to be very healthy and very sweet. :)

31. oz gunner says:

Video leak of BR (reason for the delayed post)

“The Bell End” ROLF LAMOW

33. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

LMFAO..ROLF…LMAO

1 tequila 2 tequila 3 tequila Floor tequila

34. oz gunner says:

The sad thing is the full video lasts for 11minutes, about 4 of it is BR struggling to get up, once he does he sees someone so he gives a quick fix of his hair and goatee like everything is fine haha

Excellent pre-match from the king of the PM. Thankyou Big Radish.

I reckon we’ll keep the PerVerm central axis – as PPP says, if it ain’t broke…

Whichever way the result goes the important thing will that we are seen to be able to properly compete with the North Oilers.

A draw or a win would be simply great.

And thanks for the Marty stuff BR – I didn’t know he was one of us.

Back for the game…

BR walking home from Big Band night.

37. Total says:

Top, top stuff BR – one of your best one in recent times! :)

You could well be right re TV/Koz combo, which is not a bad reflection on the Mert – just a pair of extra fresh legs to compete with the Oilers this afternoon. During our home win against them last season (only a few games away, really), TV and Koz were absolutely awesome, so why not reunite them for this one?

As per my own post on Friday, I reckon we’ll win by means of our stronger desire and togetherness. 1-2 to the Mighty Arse and TV to bullet-in the winner, and Giroud to open his account (I reckon he’ll start).

COYRRFBG! :)

38. oz gunner says:

@ chas

hahaha brilliant. Walking was too hard so BR found a bike, knowing if he didn’t race home he would incur the wrath of peaches!

39. Hi all

The match report is up for grabs ……………who wants it?

Sorry glic, the sentiment is the same. You may have noticed that I’ve hardly been in comments for a week or two – life and work has got in the way of blogging. I read your comment and gleaned that you’d had worrying times and just wanted to add my best wishes.

41. Vidic is injured again. i think that will be the story of the rest of his career

Just now, I’m snowed under and peaches is homeless so we really would be grateful for an offer to write the match report. As we always say, it doesn’t need to be an epic, a few lines will suffice. Thanks in anticipation :roll:

43. This is very moving at Anfield

44. Let’s hope they smash the mancs

I’ll do it, Rasp.

All out from behind the curtains.
    Cheers Chas :-)

Thanks chas, you’re a diamond – how many beers do I owe you now? :lol:

48. oz gunner says:

phew, thanks chas!

49. Hi gm – your post was very well received yesterday, well done. I agree those scenes from Anfield were very emotionally charged.

Well done to Suarez and Evra for shaking hands.

50. chas – you are my hero, beers on us next Saturday, what time shall we start :lol:

It’s me that owes you, Sir Raspers.

12.45 kick off. How about 8.30?

53. We’ve got mike dean today I think.

Well in Chas, nothing like starting a match day with breakfast beers. It’ll also learn Rasp and Peaches :-)

bsr looks taller in a manc kit.
    Must have a wad of fifties in each boot.

GM,
    What do you think of Borini’s hair? There’s at least two haircuts in there.

56. I’ll be there Saturday :)

57. It’s well dodgy chas. I was thinking that

58. plug’s injured. Hope it’s serious

59. Good day and Happy Sunday fellow Gooners & Goonesses.
    I had a major lie in today. Now I have brunched and read Raddy’s pre-match, I feel ready.
    O.K. Our game today Is just another 3pt. away game but it is against the current champions therefore I believe it will have an impact on how the season develops. While teams may have won the title despite losing to their direct rivals, it is very important to show we mean business and that we fear no-one. Another must win or refuse to lose situation will be when we play at Old Trafford later this season. That though is for later.
    City are a very good side no doubt. However this Arsenal squad have all the ammo. to match or even get the better of them. Fear, as the Big Man has said is a factor we can do without. Tactics are very important in games such as this.
    Defence has been our Achilles Heel in recent years. For that reason, I think Steve Bould will earn his corn. He should stress to the manager that it is no disgrace to borrow a tactic employed by a previous manager and train the team to utilize their three most excellent centre backs playing together as a wall. George Graham used that ploy to great effect when we won the title at Anfield as some of you are aware. It can be used again from time to time as an alternative to the 4-3-3 we usually employ. Playing 5-3-2 gives us a strong back line with an opportunity to swamp midfield if necessary. If this exercise could be perfected, it could be a fine tactic for some away games when the home side fancy themselves. We have the staff to play this way. It would not be unattractive and would give us a plan B. which we have seemingly lacked of late.
    Of course this is me acting as amateur coach. But a successful side should be able to adapt play according to the opposition. I also feel Santos could be a revelation in such a formation. then Arsene could rotate his players and keep them all happy. Or at least , most of them.
    Finally, I wish bsr and his team all the bad luck possible in today’s game at ‘pool.

60. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Ferdinand is finished.. i dont expect him to play more than 30% of the season..without refs manUre are crap

61. I agree PPP. They have been for 5 years

62. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

VanPussy in a manUre jersey reminds me of Giggs a yr ago..

old and grey

63. It reminds me of something that’s good luck if you tread in it

Refs helping the mancs again

GM,

Ferdinand = turtle faced
    Di Matteo = budgie faced
    Suarez=?

65. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

i see red i see red i see red i see reee-eed

i see red.. game on

FFS,
    Jonny Evans’ tackle was two-footed. Absolute bollocks.

Man U were playing poorly so the referee put things right !!!!!

68. createstrain says:

what a surprise, pool on top so the ref give manure a helping hand AGAIN on a challenge where both players lunged in.

69. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

i believe that we have had a few red cards in recent fixtures with Shitty.. opta stats? i read it somewhere, cant remember..

Balotelli on Sagna last time round..

and apparently we havnt won under our ref (in our shitty game) in 14 occassions

70. Rumours that TV is out on twitter

71. PPP
    We beat the spuds but apart from that you’re right

72. Bill Leitzinger says:

Arsenal will sit back most of the game and counterattack. I hate to say it, but I would be satisfied with a draw today.

73. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

out? closet out?

74. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

out of the game…ahhh, my bad :-)

im not blonde, i swear

75. That probably answers the kit question

76. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

GM,
    What has Santos got to do with TV? If TV is out, as rumours suggest than doesn’t Kozzer start?

77. PPP – that was hilarious :lol:

78. Get in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

79. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Stevie MEEE 1-0 Manure

80. Come on Stevie Me :oops:

81. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Peaches, shhh ;-)

82. His picture shows the striped kit. I wondered if we were going to wear red. Nothing to do with TV

83. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Peaches,
    any chance of getting the smiley faces directly linked with the site? or is that a no go with wordpress?

now is the time for that red face

84. That’s an idea PPP – I have a look around wordpress

85. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

2 snipers..amazing

86. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

There must be some diving academy, they just keep getting better.

An the oscar goes to……?

87. Ramsey Gerv Podolski???????? What’s that all about Ramsey?????

Just seen that he was told that yesterday …………………..

88. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

TV5 not even on bench? huh?

89. I just noticed that too Peaches I mis-read that it was confirming what he’d been told yesterday

90. oz gunner says:

I hope not, that tactic only worked well with yossi + first 15 against Everton

91. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

If thats true GM, i wonder if Bould had something to say after the penalty or not penalty give away? Or was it bthe red zone? Captain?

92. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Hi Oz, agree with you.. makes you wonder though, hes adamant with Theo?

93. oz gunner says:

I hope so PPP, don’t sign, don’t play. He’s had long enough to mull it over now. Gerv’s form has screwed over theo just a touch, live will go on with out him

94. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

unbelievable calls by the ref!

Valencia spreads his legs and Halsey obliges. Ridiculous.

spawny piece of shit

97. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

dirrty dog

98. createstrain says:

its hard enough watching manure with bsr playing, let alone having to put up with the blatant bias. a fair ref and they would have dropped points again today. switching off. :-(

99. Team in full: Mannone, Jenkinson, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Gibbs, Arteta (c), Diaby, Cazorla, Ramsey, Podolski, Gervinho.

Substitutes: Martinez, Djourou, Santos, Coquelin, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Walcott, Giroud.

From Arse.com

For fucks sake, why bother turning up if halsey is gona give utd the game. Go on you halsey you horrible bastard, heres my shirt and trousers give it to van persie. Take my pants too you wanker, give them to old fergie. The guys realy taking the piss out there, Absoloute disgrace.

101. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

what are the odds on Rodgers getting the sack and king kenny having another go? :-)

102. createstrain says:

ramsey??? really? hmmmmm…..he’s been playing well to be fair and i thought the same when he put gervinho up front. maybe he’s thinking his engine will protect jenkinson better?

103. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Peaches, no TV5 ? :-(

104. Rhyle says:

There was an advert on today “text this number to win £100 if Man Utd win 2-1″ sod it, I though…I’ll do that later. Didn’t get around to it.

Bugger. :-(

Whats that you say Halsey? you want me to get down on paul scholes and bend over for ryan saint giggs? Its only fair, after all it is man utd. You horrible horrible bastard

106. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

i think Bouldie has a decent shout on the track

107. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

supposed virus? …….thanks theo

Was it a dive for the penalty?

109. Not a dive Rasp, Valencia was on a great run, got into the box, was trying to go round Reina and Glen Johnson decided to make a tackle. Valencia went down very easily but Johnson didn’t need to make the tackle :(

110. He was going down before the tackle though. Suarez should have had a penalty too

111. Would you pick Rambo over Theo??? Blimey, AW is mightily pee’ed off with Theo isn’t he????

112. I wonder when I’m going to stop getting really wound up every time I see that dutch wanker

I think it was a dive. Both his legs were spreadeagled, Stevie G style. That just doesn’t happen unless someone dives.

114. Theo is going peaches

I probably not alone in ummmming over the team selection. Oh well, onwards to victory.

116. California Gooner says:

Chas, agree. Valencia dived. I thought we had got Atkinson as part of the RVP deal, but apparently he still refs for ManU.

117. I’m ummmmmmming too :)

“Gone” GM. He cannot get a starting berth for love nor money, which makes a pay rise out of the question.
    Still, probably come on and plant the winner :-)

I always enjoy a Liverpool loss. Shame they both couldn’t, but silver linings and stuff.

Peaches,
    I think we need to re-tune our “ummmms” to Buddhist Steve “ommmms”.
    There, that’s better.

121. Ommmmmm ommmmmmm ommmmmmm

Much better ………………..

122. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Enjoy the game gooners, wherever you find yourselves..

NO FEAR

COYRRG

123. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

C’mon you Gunners…..!!!!

124. Is it the object of the game to win penalties? Fergie’s team is the winner every time. they’re in the box with no chance of scoring so they fall over and, bingo, penalty to them. I was surprised last week when Welbeck didn’t get one against Wigan when he ran to the byline and fell over. The ref must have decided they didn’t need it. Anyway, after Old Raspberry Face protested in private after the game they decided to appease him with a sending off and their rightful penalty this week.
    Come on you Gunners!!!!!!! Win this one.

125. evonne says:

in fecking traffic!! 5 hours round trip to Brent Cross that normally takes less than 2 hours

Fecking fuming

Come on you Gunnnnnnners

127. oz gunner says:

Mannone stuffed up a clearance…drop him…liability!

128. So much for my kit prediction

129. evonne says:

GM – yeah, we are redder than usual today, it’s the socks, no?

You have to love the away fans! Thank you guys!!

Gibbs…..

130. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

in two minds

131. Rhyle says:

Gerv made a dogs dinner of that touch…

132. oz gunner says:

noooooooo that was a shocker of a touch!gerv,that was bendy-esque

133. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

two left feet swerve

134. who da fuk is cliche?

135. 26may1989 says:

Afternoon all.

Is it just me or are the good guys bossing this so far?

136. oz gunner says:

that we are 26, champions schmapions!

137. Rhyle says:

So far, so pretty good. Need to clear our lines better, holding the ball too long at the back as space is a bit limited…happy to see a couple of halfway line clearances being hoofed out…”when in doubt” and all that…

138. Rhyle says:

It amazes me some of the rubbish that dribbles out of commentators mouths…I don’t think any of them have seen Happy Gilmour, which is about an angry, failed hockey player who takes up golf but can’t putt…describing Cazorla as “Happy Gilmour” just ‘cos he’s got a sunny disposition it’s…it’s just…wrong!

What’s the world coming too…heh…

139. Rhyle says:

Jenks…brilliant…Pod? Less so, mate!

140. oz gunner says:

not wrong there rhyle,taking far too long

141. 26may1989 says:

No worries evonne, keep it going like this and it will come…..

142. evonne says:

26 – thank you!! When I was stuck in traffic earlier on today I was very envious of you and LB breezing through North London :)

We look good all right

143. oz gunner says:

we are slicing thru them like butter

144. evonne says:

mind you, Pool were a much better team earlier on today (according to the radio) but Mancs walked out with 3 points.

B$R was hardly mentioned during that game :)

145. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

poldi, gerv need to press more when they have the ball..

146. evonne says:

QPR winning ??!! i think so

147. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

gerv left his first touch at home..

cmon boys

148. 26may1989 says:

Fuck that.

Keeper error, afraid to say.

149. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

shizen

150. Rhyle says:

Mannone needs shooting…if you come for it, better get it…

151. oz gunner says:

bloody hell, totally against the run of play! dammit

152. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

Gutted. Lets keep going

Good game, and I really think we will win it.
    Off to Ommm some more.
    Wrong about team, shape looks right.

Playing well. Don’t deserve to be behind.

155. 26may1989 says:

Disappointing to be one down but that was an excellent half from our guys. Get the ball back to Cazorla, Ramsey and Arteta and things will happen. Would like to see a bit more from Diaby and Poldi. Gibbs and Jenks have impressed again, and the CBs have been great. Mannone? Less said the better, today.

156. 26may1989 says:

“Off to Ommm some more.” :)

157. oz gunner says:

agree 26, jenks and gibbs have given us alot of width,ramseys energy and drive have been great,he has some tank on him!

158. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

Fantastic half of football from Arsenal..but two mistakes have cost us. Must take any chances we get in the 2nd half

159. 26may1989 says:

Looking at it again, the goal wasn’t only Mannone’s fault, have to agree that Poldi was at fault.

But the zonal marking vs man-marking debate has more to it than the pundits’ debate would suggest. I wish pundits would get into the pros and cons of that discussion.

160. 26may1989 says:

This halftime is a real test of the team’s mettle. The old side might have felt sorry for itself and allowed the result to drift away, I don’t think this one will. But let’s see……

161. oz gunner says:

I just think the stationary target vs a running jump is an easy win for the opposition. Poldi got stuck there with lescott getting a run and jump. Zonal is no good I think, no one is responsible

162. 26may1989 says:

@evonne 4.31pm: Thanks for your good thoughts re cycling today. My legs feel dead now! Headwinds, rain and hills, great combo!

163. 26may1989 says:

Disagree Oz, it’s all about responsibility: cover your patch, and if someone (Lescott) comes into it, mark him and attack the ball. Podolski failed to concentrate.

164. 26may1989 says:

Ragged start to the second half.

165. oz gunner says:

its just they get a running jump, and we get more of a standing vertical leap.with our lack of height though its prob best suited for us

166. evonne says:

GM @ 4:43 – oh poo?? are you all right?

167. 26may1989 says:

That should’ve been a penalty.

168. oz gunner says:

diaby too long come on!

169. oz gunner says:

agree 26, fair play to kun, he got up instead of diving all about

170. oz gunner says:

shocking 2nd half, look buggered. Gerv and pod need to lift

171. oz gunner says:

now spurs are winning!

172. Rhyle says:

Need to be a bit more physical…all very standoffish…all tight angles and no space, need to give ‘em something to think about as we’re not troubling them at the moment.

173. 26may1989 says:

The whole thing looks disjointed Oz. Even seeing Cazorla ping that long one out to Gervinho underlines how little short passing we’ve seen – they’re all so far apart, it’s not happening. I think we need Ox and/or Walcott on, possibly for Diaby and Ramsey?

174. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

cmon Wenger, make the subs, Giroo, ox, anybody..we need that magic back and that energy

175. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Per has been outstanding

Mancini’s decision to replace Sinclair with Rodwell has changed the game

177. 26may1989 says:

I think you must be right Raddy but I’ve been trying to work out how.

178. oz gunner says:

good to see clichy’s crossing has improved

179. oz gunner says:

I think it’s given them more solidarity in midfield. Sinclair was looking to attack and leaving his fullback wide open, rodwell is not getting forward at all

180. 26may1989 says:

Podolski hasn’t been great but I’m surprised he got hooked off rather than Gervinho.

181. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

ramsey flat footed. Why Poldi ?

182. 26may1989 says:

We can do so much better than this.

183. Gervinho has got into good positions although he hasn’t done well with them. poldi hasn’t been in the game that much

184. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Theo is fuckin pedestrian…grrrrrr

185. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

great save don vito

186. 26may1989 says:

Pedestrian is a great word for our whole second half performance.

Come on, boys, dig in….

Great effort from Santi….

187. oz gunner says:

KOZZAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

188. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

purrrrrrrfect

189. evonne says:

yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssss

190. 26may1989 says:

YYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

191. 26may1989 says:

I win, mine was the longest!

192. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

now concentrate and hold it boys

193. evonne says:

you lot are mad :)

194. oz gunner says:

my heart! call an ambulance!

195. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

i cacked my daks :-(

196. 26may1989 says:

Sweet lord Jesus, thank you!

A CB bicycle kicking, the world has gone mad.

197. evonne says:

Mert has been immense today

198. oz gunner says:

Ramsey=work horse!

199. oz gunner says:

sure has evonne, been cutting off everything! I think he is un-through-ball-able!

200. Rhyle says:

Agreed, Per and Jenks both superb. Ramsey good too.

201. evonne says:

Gerv = work horse too

202. Rhyle says:

We’re finishing much the stronger…we’ll nick this in injury time!

203. evonne says:

Oz – he stood there like a fecking berlin wall, bless him

204. Rhyle says:

Gerv has got to got to GOT TO hit the target there. Amateur hour and annoys me at this stage…

205. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

oh dear, 2 great chances gerv…just not happening today son

206. I feel for Gervinho.

207. oz gunner says:

that was pathetic! Gerv should of won this for us today! I think Walcott sprayed his shoes with flubber before the match! damn you to hell robin williams!

208. oz gunner says:

bloody hell a headlock take down

209. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

corporal= supberb

210. 26may1989 says:

That is the funniest foul throw I’ve seen in years!

211. oz gunner says:

agreed PPP, on this form Sagna shouldn’t get a walk up start.he’s been fantastic

212. I would have taken that before kick off

213. 26may1989 says:

A draw is an excellent result, and on the play probably about fair.

Some good performances out there, but for 30 minutes in the second half there were some very ordinary ones too.

214. Rhyle says:

Proper result. The kind of performance that tells us we’re there or thereabouts for sure this year. Had the chances to win it in the 1st half and late in the 2nd, rarely got hurt by City.

Good stuff.

215. evonne says:

Oh well, everyboy’s happy
    The doom and gloom merchants can say it was a must win game, and the happy clappy camp can say we were the far better team

Absolutely brilliant peformance.
    I’m so impressed, so so happy fantastic. We are getting better and better and will not lose many games

217. Adrian says:

I could have sworn we were ending the game stronger than Man City, so why didn’t we at least commit another body or two for that fre kick in the dying minutes? And why didn’t the ox come on instead of Coquelin? We were poor today compared to our previous league games, our passing was way below par and too slow.

218. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

we gave it away with the error and poor finishing.. i would have taken a draw before the game..

not a sprint remember, and we will eat em at home.. shame we didnt all turn up today.. our defence was outstanding, just outstanding.. mannone…. i will have to sleep on that minisecond, otherwise did his job very well with some great saves..

I still feel a tad empty like we missed an opportunity to cause damage to the title…. Gerv needs to go to confession…

We were by far the better team which bodes well for the future.

Should have won today …. Back to the training ground for Gerv who tried too hard today.

Ramsey, Merts, Jenks and Arteta superb

220. Adrian says:

Had a clear cut chance to win the game there towards the end, nevertheless we were clearly the much better side throughout the first half. Second half Man City caused us quite a bit of a headache. I believe if we didn’t concede that soft goal in the first half we had a good chance of perhaps nicking it 1-0. Guess a draw is a fair reflection, just really disappointed that Gervinho blasted that clear chance miles apart.

221. 26may1989 says:

Adrian, if you make a statement like that, saying our passing game was below par and too slow, you have to explain the first half. That was as good a passing performance as we could hope to see, and against a team assembled following expenditure of £1bn.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d agree with you if you’d said that about most of the second half, it just looks an off-beam comment if you look at the first half.

Blimey,
    Just read back through comments.
    This was City we were playing and they compressed the midfield in the second half. I think…. sod it, off outside for a celebration fag..I mean, ommmm

223. 26may1989 says:

Does Vermaelen get back in the side next weekend?

For me, the answer is no.

224. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

mannone saved our blushes..some saves kept us in the game to equalise…

PPP as you say, one defnsive error cost us dear.

226. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

@26,
    Why? Because of the penalty give away, which was suspect? Otherwise been great..But Per is well purring, he and corporal were special today

227. 26may1989 says:

Someone should tell Jamie Redknapp that waistcoats are definitely not a good fashion decision.

228. Adrian says:

I haven’t fully finished typing my comment, as you can see I did give credit for a great first half. But just like the Montpeiller game our tempo and the standard of passing/runs dropped so much in the second half. Gervinho is still so inconsistent, I have a feeling if we’re gonna struggle in a given position it’s gonna be the center forward.

229. 26may1989 says:

@PPP

I think TV’s general performance against Montpellier was below average. With three top quality CBs, and now two who’ve just had a great game, I think it’s tough to bring him back in against Chelsea.

Who would you drop, Kos or Mert? And why? I hope the captain’s armband isn’t the reason to bring TV back, it should be the quality of performance and that alone.

230. 26may1989 says:

Fair enough Adrian.

231. jnyc says:

:-) even before he scored, i was admiring Kozzer for how sharp he played after his weeks off. Like he never was off. —————
    the one thing that really bothered me was that after they scored, they got another free header, and we were lucky it didnt go in. But Otherwise, we showed our quality. Our BACK FOUR especially
    —–gerv just had one of those games. I understand, but he shoukd work on his longer shots ive noticed.

232. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Raddy, its been such a fine line in recent encounters with shitty.. both teams have given it away recently or cancelled each other out..Like i said, id have taken a draw whilst the teams were being written down for the refs but i feel we lost the points today and mancini should feel blessed that they take a point..

Wengerball without errors and every player turning up is simply unplayable

233. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

@26,
    It would be Kozzer..Wenger has started the season with TV5 and in my eyes has done nothing that warrants benching him..Do we drop Kozzer when he makes a mistake and keep chopping and changing? I hope not..Not fussed about the leadership tag. Its about time these boys stand up, and make themselves accountable, win lose or draw..

TV stays, just my opinion..

Adrian
    I think BR hit the nail on the head earlier when he said that Mankini’s tactical change at HT had a big impact.

By taking off the wide man (Sinclair) and putting Rodwell on he succeeded in really filling up the midfield with big, strong combative players who made it very hard for our boys to continue their close passing game. Shitty were very good at closing us down in the middle of the park during the second half.

Mankini could afford to make that move because he had the one-goal lead (which was a gift from us against the run of play).

In the end AW’s tactical response to reshape things with OG down the middle helped swing momentum back in our direction and, as you say, we finished the stronger.

All in all a great game. We bossed the first half, they bossed the first 30 minutes of the second half then we took control again.

A draw was a fair result and is a better result for us than them, particularly as we had to come from behind. They’ve thrown away two leading positions in five days. It’s got to start nagging at their confidence.

Excellent result and performance.

We are very very close to the Manchester clubs. In March we will be better than them both so should go on to win the league. The key will be to juggle our Champions league push with the title surge. We have the quality and the nuts and as the months go by we will prove it.

236. 26may1989 says:

Fair dos, PPP, I just see it differently! :)

Kos, quite rightly, has had to wait to get back in the side, despite having been one of the best defenders in the PL last season. He’s now done exactly what was asked of him. Dropping him after an excellent performance would be all wrong to me.

But we shall see, that’s one for next weekend.

I don’t want to pre-empt Chas’s match report but… oh, what the hell… for me the MoTM was the BFG.

A superb display of intelligent, game-reading central defensive play. How many interceptions did he make in the second half when they were on top?

Bobby Moore comes to mind…

I’m with you – I have felt for some time that Kozzer and the BFG is our best CB pairing.

That said, I have no qualms about any two from the trio of Koz, BFG and Verm playing together.

239. 26may1989 says:

Love reading your comments TMHT!

And good points from Rocky too. Bringing on Giroud worked really well for us.

240. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

RL, agreed 110%.

241. evonne says:

bloody hell, the media are singing praises to the Mighty Arsenal :) That feels really good.

242. Adrian says:

I’m afraid that Gervinho might be the next Walcott/Arshavin in terms of inconsistency..

243. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

@26,
    at this stage, BFG is undroppable, and if we win the champions league it will be because of his reading of the game.. I love Kozzer, i also love TV5, he has that oomph and drive that gets us off our arses.. Im not fussed who Wenger chooses out of the two, and its a nice problem to have.. :-)

As expected plenty of these guys that were written off last season have gone up leaps and bounds in performance. We have a delightfuly exquisite balance between youth and experience.

If you look at the squads of us and our rivals it is ours that has the most scope (hahaha) for potential. Imagine this team and squad in 12 months, it will be unstopable.

Living within your means and giving youth a chance dosnt work hey ??? hahaha

245. createstrain says:

that pear aint half bad at reading the game is he! jenkinson. wow. ramsey getting back to pre shawcross.
    thought diaby was sluggish, surprised he stayed on for so long.
    not many teams are gonna go to shittys house and get a point, let alone being disappointed to not win it. i just hope gervinho doesnt go into his post acn mode after today.

246. jnyc says:

Easy. Merts due for a rest. Gota keep everybody fresh for later in the season. Shame united got two point gift. But we showed we are serious.

247. Rhyle says:

Terry – agree that it’s always wrong to write off a player new to the PL after a season (less than a season in some cases – a lot of folk were giving Mert grief after a handful of games!), but I have to disagree…our first XI is as good as any and better than most but 1 or 2 injuries in key areas (Pod, Caz, any 1 of the CBs) and we’re looking at a bench which doesn’t fill me with expectation v the better sides.

Having said that – let’s focus on the positives…our first XI proved today that they can hang with anyone!

BFG can’t be dropped, he and Santi are running this team.

But the man who impresses me week after week is The Corporal. Jenks could have an immense career at THOF if he can maintain his development. What a spot by AW.

249. 26may1989 says:

I have to say, thinking back to that horrific day at OT last season, it fills me with warmth to see plaudits for multiple Arsenal defenders – from an established pro like Mertesacker, who was wrongly doubted, to Koscielny, who has shown how to combine intelligence and combativeness, to youngsters, Gibbs and Jenkinson, who are finding the perfect balance of defensive and attacking elements to their game.

Rhyle. 3 games ago who would have seen Gerv playing central and scoring 3 goals? We have cover.

251. createstrain says:

how much would demba ba fetch?

Ramsey was my MOTM; he kept on and on driving that team forward.

Rhyle, know what you mean. There are far to many positives for us to ponder to feel any negativity.

And this is fully right and correct. We are Arsenal for Heavens sake.

254. jnyc says:

Ok,back to work. time to start preparing for chelsea :-)

I also thought Giroud was brilliant when he came on; he had obviously been reassured in the week that what he was doing is what is required. Some of those flick ons were superb.

And as for tactics that was an old fashioned 4.4.2 from the get go, excellent first half and a determined dogged second.

257. Does anyone remember the mancs (and some of the press) and a lot of our own fans taking the piss when we got jenks for 1m and the mancscum got jones for 16m?

258. I’ve decided to get Gervinho on my shirt on Wednesday.

Is anyone else going?

259. jnyc says:

And where are the fools who were saying merts was a disappointment last season after his fluke injury. I always maintained that he was playing great when the injury happened. Now even better with discipline around him. Same fools even rumoured that we were trying to sell him after the season. Ridiculous.

260. Rob Lucci says:

Man of the Match, Per Mertesacker!

He stop a lot of counter attacks on his own. Like oz said, he really was un-through-ball-able!

261. evonne says:

Rob – I prefer my ‘the whole Berlin wall’ to describe Per’s performance

262. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

Merts was truly outstanding today, but Ramsey was truly incredible today. The energy he brought into our midfield really helped set up iur whole petformance. After the late changes he moved seamlessly into the centre and simply continued to excel. Star man today.

Actually, he’s not played a bad minute all season.

Gervs work rate alone means he’ll be fine.

I’m also loving the Corporals work, as many others have said

They all played great. Heroes to the man.

Its all going to plan and everything is as it should be

264. evonne says:

Is it all down to Bouldie? Remarable difference in the team, they are scared of noone :)

265. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

If our Corporal keeps this up, Sagna no longer walks into the starting line up.. Its been too long, and Jenks keeps getting better and better, regardless of the names on the oppo team sheet..

Steve Bould is a delightful individual. i think ime in love with him. Platonicly ofcourse

“loving the Corporals work”
    Apart from agreeing, he was suerb, that makes me LAMOW every time

268. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

Ha ha GM, well said re Jenks vs Jones. Jones is awful in my opinion, just a nug strong lump, with little or no technique ir football intelligence.

Arsene seems to improve every single player who walks thru the door

Transplant,
    You are highly infectious. Delighted to say that I’ve caught it :-)

Do you love Bouldy too Micky?, platonicly of course.

271. jnyc says:

Michael i remember it well :-) jenks outta nowhere 1 mil. Brilliant

A draw was the least we deserved today. The Gerv needs to be more composed in front of goal, he could have side footed one of those chances rather than blasting over the bar. But altogether a very good team performance again which is what is most satisfying.

Chas – who gets the assist, your widget is out of date?

A very satisfying performance.

BFG was enormous and played as good a CB role as I can remember for AFC.

For his 1st game of the season Koscielny played a superb game and gave us a very valuable point.

Mannone made a poor decision to go out for the corner but is, little by little, staking a solid claim on the number one shirt.

How about that Jenkinson, Sagna will have a very hard time getting the RB position back.

Once again our mid-field was outstanding and their interchangeability is incredible

Our offence was off key and still leaves something to be desired,
    but all in all very satisfying.

I hate to say this but Mike Dean also had a great game.

274. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

Well said re Dean. Makes a nice change

275. evonne says:

Rasp – isn’t Chas at the Mancunia, off his head but happy ?

Transplant,
    “platonicly”? No. Full on man love :-)

277. Gooner In Exile says:

Evening all.

I was on a bit of a lads away day yesterday and only arrived back at 5:30 tonight, the last hour and a bit of my journey were in complete radio silence so I could enjoy the match as live.

At about 75 minutes in I was all set to be writing that today was going to all about three “can I try that again?” moments.

1) Gervinho’s first touch
    2) Gibbs heading without a call
    3) Mannone deciding he was bored.

Apart from Niall “hate Arsenals zone but I won’t comment on City’s zone” Quinn’s co commentary I absolutely f***ing loved that performance.

1) everyone worked hard
    2) Koscielny is immense
    3) I am in love with Cazorla’s feet (they are just beautiful)
    4) Rambo was excellent
    5) Gervinho worked so hard to win the ball back
    6) BFG reads football like its Jackanory
    7) Podolski just plays
    8) Arteta …… oooooh

Ok I’m running out of superlatives.

We dominated them, the only downside is that we gave them all their opportunities.

Did I say how much I loved that performance.

Final thought. Jenkinson and Theo a year ago were arguing on the pitch last year at OT, who has improved more in the last year? Who would you give a £100k a week contract to if they asked for it?

I’m having one of those days of “not getting at anyone in particular”, but its tough to be too harsh on Gerv. He’s our joint top scorer, and created more chances than his level pegging leader.
    He is a vastly improved performer this season with his all round play and committment.

Thanks evonne, I forgot. Can anyone tell me who gets the assist for kozzer’s goal please :?

280. Rhyle says:

GIE…nice post, obviously not feeling the effects of your away day too badly!

Make a nice point re Theo expecting “top, top dollar” without proving himself worth it (in my opinion) since he’s been here. Fleeting moments of form, something wrong with him ‘cos he can but he doesn’t – I say get the shrinks on him, maybe they’ll get to the bottom of it…

As for Theo…if he’s benched due to contract dispute and likely off in Jan…why are we continually bringing him on to mooch around doing (in the words of Micky Flanagan) PROPER fuck all on the pitch like the fat kid in PE while leaving the Ox on the bench? Makes little sense to me…

281. slimgingergooner says:

What a great game of football!

We were excellent Today and I’m very pleased with the result, though we could easily have won it. We played some brilliant triangles in the first half and looked dangerous going forward. I was also very pleased with our work rate without the ball. Apart from 20 minutes in the second half, we bossed last years champions on their own turf.

Special mention goes to Cazorla for some unbelievable passing and his control of the game, but many others impressed.

Awesome performance and what an improvement from the team we had this time last year. Bring on Chelsea!

Rasp, you have to give it to Lescott. it was a perfect knockdown to Koz.

283. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Rasp, it goes to Santi, no kidding, its official

284. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Cazorla gets the assist on the official premier league site that Chas follows..

PPP, ime sure Lescott will be gutted about that. hahaha

286. Rhyle says:

Anyone know what the odds on us taking the title are down to? I’m thinking of turning mine up a notch…after seeing that and the way that Chelsea have struggled at times, that Man Utd are not great by their standards and the fact that Liverpool / Newcastle / Spuds are all struggling to find first gear let alone second…most confident I’ve been in a long time. We’ve got Anfield and Etihad out of the way and taken four points from ‘em. I’d’ve been chuffed with that in any season…

287. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

How long before the sheiks offer Wenger something like 30million a year to show Poncini how its done?

Shittys very expensive fantasy team is barely scraping by!

PPP,
    What do you mean “barely scraping by”?…..they just got a draw against The Arsenal. Should think the Sheik is over the moon.

289. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

hahaha.. nice Micky

290. Kgooner says:

Motm per mertesacker. He spot on slides and tackles were on point. We could have conceded more were it not for him. We have a good run with 0 defeats and held well against a bench full of stars. Go go gunners!

Thanks guys, Santi it is :P

ppp, i find it ironic that Poncini was quouted in the papers today about how people should not go on about the money. Hes only shut up recently because the city board have told him too. When he sees that his job is under threat and hes got nothing to lose he will start whinging and crying that he needs 1 billion more to fend off Arsenal.Credit were credits due though, he has lovely hair…the Ponce.

As for City raiding us again, every day that passes the financial climate swings closer to parity. In the future they might take the odd player but that will not be enough to keep them above us. Them and Chelsea will fall behind Utd and Arsenal and they know it.

293. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Infectious Terry…. Thanks.

nice hair, yes im jealous too…damn hereditary(?) thing

Rasp
    Santi deserves the assist – not only did he take the corner that forced the goal, he also had the shot that was tipped round by Hart to produce the corner in the first place.

295. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

i got smashed in Fantasy, GiE the big mover (thats what they say) :-)

Check Arsenal nuts, Rasp.

I haven’t looked at any after match comments so as not to be swayed.

297. Total says:

We have arrived at the top once again. What a performance by the whole team. We made them look ordinary in the first half and that is perhaps the biggest achievement in the last few years: a 1bn assembled team was played off the pitch at their own turf by us today.

Of course some have to release some tension by having a little dig at Gervinho: the man who scored three goals in his last three games and worked his socks of for us all game. C’est la vie! :)

Ah, I see you’ve done the assists already. :)

Can’t wait to read it Chas.

I was secretly thinking before the game “even if we lose, I hope we’re competitive with the Oilies.”

We did much better than that (although I feel a draw was a fair result, as they had about the same number of chances as us).

Don Vito was at fault for the goal but did really well apart from that.

300. 26may1989 says:

To me, the most satisfying thing about today’s game is, even with us being the better team overall, there were significant areas in which we can improve: the loss of the passing game after half time, the defensive lapse for the goal, few shots on target.

301. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

I cant believe they gave the man of the match award to Lescott.

wtf?

302. 26may1989 says:

Lescott, MOTM? Seriously?! That is a joke.

I am going to leave myself with one last thought. Taking one point from the Champions is not necessarily title winning form. Taking four over the two games is, and an away point (and well deserved) is a bloody good start.
    Nite all.

304. Gooner In Exile says:

I had a good day in the Fantasy League yesterday.

I assume it was covered yesterday (haven’t looked back)….but did anyone see Pulis reaction to the Luiz challenge? Did no one tell Tony that David isn’t that kind of player and his Mum took him away from the game in tears. Then of course it would all be ok in Pulis world…..Moron!

305. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Gerv turned him so many times he made him look amateur

And before I really go, can I say how much I enjoyed your company today. Thank you, and goodnight.

307. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Nite Micky, Up the Gunners

308. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

i think 1-1 is growing on me.. i might go celebrate and have a few quiet frothies with Big Raddy ;-) …Nite all..

Well done Arsenal

309. 26may1989 says:

Pulis was priceless, Exile. Luiz’s challenge was bad and fully deserved a red, but it was still less reckless than lovely Ryan’s challenge on Ramsey. Irony is not part of Pulis’s repertoire, it seems.

310. Illybongani says:

Had to check out a Citeh blog, Blue Moon, to get their perspective on our performance. What a spoiled bunch of brats they are. Comments like “why didn’t we sign Carzorla?”…expect a bid in January then eh?

To be fair though, a lot of them are quite complementary about us…scathing about themselves though. You’d think they were in relegation trouble. Whinging northern monkies!

My MOTM was Gibbs, closely followed by Jenks – England fullbacks 2013?

311. Rhyle says:

John Terry retires from international football. While making his statement of “Nobody likes me, everybody hates me”…he cried and waved his arms in grief. The journalists just laughed.

312. Gooner In Exile says:

26 I knew you’d appreciate it.

Illy did you see Swansea fans walk out at 3-0 down to Everton, City fans are no different…short term memories of where they have come from.

313. 26may1989 says:

You’re right Exile, I really hate Pulis!

Interesting point re Jenks, Illy. For a while now, I don’t think he’s turned out for the Finnish U21s (which he was captaining when we signed him, I think). I wonder if he’s weighing up throwing in his lot with England instead. Kyle Walker is likely to be part of the calculation. Well, Walker may be a good player, but if Jenks keeps to the level he’s been playing this year, he could easily overtake Walker.

Arsenal supplying both England’s fullbacks? Bit of a throwback to the 1980s and Sansom and Anderson….

314. Red Arse says:

Loved catching up on the comments, and seeing the mood change as fortunes ebbed and flowed. Fascinating — and entertaining comments in their own right. Well done guys and guyesses! :-)

Had to dash out immediately after the final result. Did not really need the car as I was ‘flying’ after the game, but thought better of it.

On the radio I heard some ‘Arsenal fans’ STILL having a moan — we should have signed Dembele — why were we not in for Demba Ba — Wenger does not have an eye for a good young player anymore — etc, etc.
    They make me ashamed that they claim to be ‘Gooners’. Damn them!

I was so angry I could have caused an accident. But MerryTerry cheered me up when I read the AA comments! :-)

315. Illybongani says:

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Finland get him in their next squad toute suite. If there was any doubt as to what Arsene can do for a young footballer then Jenks must be surely putting that one to bed. No wonder everyone who leaves has nothing but good things to say about Arsene

How are you doing Illy?
    It’s staggering how quickly fans can turn from unsuccessful-but-happy-diehards to successful-but-entitled-dickheads.

Hello Redders :)
    Sadly the same comment applies to some Arsenal “supporters”. But I’m glad you didn’t cause an accident :)

317. 26may1989 says:

Should have signed Dembele? So he could be understudy to Arteta, Wilshere, Diaby, Ramsey and Coquelin?

You’re right, Mr Arse, damn the fools, damn them!

318. Red Arse says:

Hi 26, :-)

having just read your 9:42, I was a bit taken aback.

I was a admittedly a bit ‘forthright’ in my assessment of Pulis, some months ago, and, altho’ I may be wrong, I am pretty sure you said I was being too harsh and you had a certain respect for him because of what he had done for Stoke.

You are probably going to suggest it must have been someone else — in which case, I apologise in advance! :-)

319. 26may1989 says:

Redders, in the words of my ten-year old daughter, “O – M – G”. My gast is well and truly flabbered at the thought I could ever have said anything short of the most libellous and degrading insults about THAT man and his twattish baseball cap.

So, no, it wasn’t me.

320. Red Arse says:

Rocky, 26 et al.

Like all you guys, I love Arsenal, and I regret to say I take these stupid comments too much to heart , and they become personally hurtful.

Why can’t they just rejoice in a wonderful club, a fantastic manager, and give their undiluted support to a team who have nascent brilliance written all over them?

Hi, Rocko, you always cheer me up too! :-)

321. Gooner In Exile says:

If I had a choice i’d sign Fellaini over Dembele, and Ba remains a gifted forward with dodgy knees who can play a game a week. Perfect for mid table teams.

But the truth these fans who say Wenger can’t spot young talent are just more knee jerk idiots. Look at City’s side today and ask who has spent their allotted summer funds better. Rodwell, Garcia, Sinclair vs Podolski, Cazorla, Giroud.

Canwetalk about Santis feet? Good….I mentioned earlier I’m in love with them. The moment that won my heart was a five yard pass to BFG. Santi had the ball on his right foot back to the touch line and a City player square on. A right foot pass to BFG would have sent him backwards because the City player was positioned in between him and BFG. Instead Santi in less than a split second dragged it to his left foot played the pass in front of the BFG and went for the return pass and was away. Beautiful feet.

322. Red Arse says:

26,

Having pressed the ‘post comment’ I immediately felt I was guilty of a dastardly attack on your better judgement. So sorry, mi amigo. (hangs head in shame and whistles dixie) :-(

I will go back and re-read AA and unclothe —- umm no — disclose the real culprit — never fear I am on the case! :-)

323. Red Arse says:

Got to agree with you GIE, I think Cassie is a splendid player, and you are right to make feet fetishness a theme for him. :-)

Wonderful player!!

Up at 4:30 a.m.so got to go. Tomorrow!! :-)

Good night Redders. Why on earth do you have to be up at 4.30am? Hope it’s not for medical whatnots :(

GiE
    I noted that splendid bit of two-footedness as well (among several others).

Please include me in your Santi foot fetish sub-group :)

On a separate note, did you think Don Vito was wrong to come for the cross that led to the Oilies’ goal? I’m not singling him out (he had a really good game apart from the goal) but there was some discussion in the US commentary about whether he was at fault or the defence.

326. 26may1989 says:

On the subject of Cazorla’s feet, what I liked today was when he switched the ball from one foot to the other in order to get a better angle to escape the pressing of a City player when in tight space. He’s a clever little blighter, that one.

Cheers chas, post and pics received and prepped for publication :P

328. Gooner In Exile says:

For me Rocky as I said earlier he got bored like Szczesny did against Soton. If he doesn’t come for the cross he has a chance of saving the header and he doesn’t confuse the defence.

That said the ball travels a long way and Vito came out too early and got stuck under the ball. Watch the best keepers take crosses they make their decision early but attack it late to get maximum jump and therefore take ball at its highest point.

329. Gooner In Exile says:

Rasp we need a new widget Santis Feet Fetishists :D

330. 26may1989 says:

Interesting comment from a Citizen on the footballunlimited site:

“I don’t think we’ll play a better side, English side that is, at home all season. Arsenal passed the bollocks off us large periods. If they had a half decent centre forward they could have won pretty comfortably.”

GiE
    Bored?
    Professional goalies make mistakes because they’re bored?
    (I’m not doubting you – I’m just amazed. But given that you have put in the hard hours between the sticks, maybe it’s something you understand in a way that non-goalies don’t).

MOTD2 made it looked like Liverpool weren’t the better side and that City should have beaten us about 5-2. Unbelievable.

Freddie Ljungberg – what a waste of space.

‘..made it looked like..’ ! Que?
    Time for bed said Zebedee.

334. Hendon gooner says:

Collin Murray= Dick Freddy just said shite on motd2

Gervinho is almost the opposite of Walcott. When Walcott gets put through on goal he usually scores. The problem Theo has is that when he picks the ball up on the wing he usually trips over his own feet. Gervinho, on the other hand, is very good at running with the ball but trips over his own feet when he gets put through on goal.

An inspired team selection today.

I love the way Wenger is dealing with Walcott.

336. I was disappointed with Freddie too. He said we wouldn’t win the league because we don’t have a big squad like manu.

What a knob terry is. Funny how he announced his retirement the day before the FA do his case. He’s shit and past it. It’ll make supporting England slightly less vomit inducing.

337. Gooner In Exile says:

Rocky I should clarify my “bored” theory.

I was listening to a post match interview with a manager pre an FA Cup match he was from the Conference or 3rd division and they were going through their team.

He said “X is a good shot stopper but he likes to be busy, and that’s not a good thing for a goalkeeper”

It struck me that it was very perceptive, watch keepers who haven’t had a chance to put their hands on the ball and you see them start to come for crosses they shouldn’t to start to feel like they’re involved in the game. Almunia’s forte was the need to start playing the libero role when he was out of the game for long periods.

The difference between Seaman and our current crop is Seaman could standstill for 90 minutes quite happily, maybe he should take our current crop fishing to teach them patience.

The first 1.20 of this made me laugh. Surprised he didn’t get lamped.

Even with a fuzzy picture, the moment the ball hits the back of the net is special.

Even when you don’t even get the goal on film…..

Great clips, and especially the “class” one ROLF, and good morning Chas.
    Looking forward to your write up.

Good morning, Micky.
    I wouldn’t get your hopes up.
    I just thought I’d give Peaches and Rasp a stress-free afternoon. :)

……for a change.

Chas,
    If I was on match report duty, there would be an awful lot of copy and pasting going on. It would also be the most weighted, blinkered and biased report ever scribbled.
    As it should be. Fairness and objectivity have little going for them :-)
    School run (its a children type thing, Chas)

Morning all.

Saw the match later on in the evening and will give my thoughts after the new post goes up,though I get more and more impressed with gary neville, he got most things right and gave Arsenal a lot of credit.

346. Gooner In Exile says:

True Kelsey Neville is a great pundit…avoids superlatives and just talks sense. Quinn and Redknapp on the other hand are full of them.

Quinn’s most embarrassing moment came when he declared BFG was not offside and Citeh fans were giving Lino abuse for no reason. The replay showed BFG was offside yet he still tried to justify his call and even tell the viewer he was marginally onside, when it was actually a yard offside. Imbecile.

Micky,
    I’d love to see one of your match reports.
    Evonne’s told me all about your in-game commentary!
    I’m off for a swim (it’s a keep-fit type thing, Micky) :)

348. evonne says:

Morning happy Gunners!!
    Chas- great clips, the ‘how much for class’ is simply fab
    GiE and 26may – I watched the Stoke game; it wasn’t Pulis as much as Shawcross made me ill – following the faul he was berserk with the ref, demanding that Lewis was sent off. Two faced nasty piece of poo

349. evonne says:

blimey, i had just seen the end of Pool v ManU game, those chants are sickening; dirty northern men could not stop themselves from abuse. Disgraceful

Chas – you are fit already :)

350. evonne says:

just one more thing, I promise – did anyone else notice GM shouting ‘oh poo’ after the Shitty goal ?? :)

Morning all …….

….. New post …….

352. What’s up Dear, are you actually visiting this web page daily,
    if so then you will absolutely take nice experience.