Will Arsene save his prodigy Cesc?

Poor Cesc: torn between the love for his adopted family in London and his birth family in Catalonia, he decided last summer to return to his original home, only to find himself not fitting in properly there anymore.

Two’s company, three’s a crowd and you could not find a finer, more strongly joined-at-the-hips couple than the phenomenal central midfielders of Iniesta and Xavi. As fully expected, Cesc has lost out, at least for the moment.

Cesc has suffered a season of being compromised to somehow fit into the Barca team, and although he has shown a fantastic ability to adapt and continue his successful career – 15 goals and 20 assists in 52 games is very impressive indeed – this season, under the new manager Vilanova, it has all become too much, or should I say too little for him; finding himself more regularly on the bench than on the pitch, and seldom being played in his most natural, and favoured position. During a recent interview it became clear that all is not well with Fabregas, as it would take some doing for the normally diplomatic and always professional ex-captain to speak out like that.

I wonder how he really feels now; whether he has any regrets regarding his decision last year to leave his beloved Arsenal – let there be no doubt that he really loves Arsenal and respects Arsene as no other in the world of football – for his homeland; the place where he grew up, and learned most of his football.

I was sad to see him go, but never angry with him. Having left my home country to live in England in my twenties, I know exactly how it feels when you start feeling homesick. Moving at a very tender age to another country, away from your family and friends and everything you know, is especially not to be pooh-poohed at. Without any doubt, he will have felt homesick and lonely on many occasions during his teenage and early-twenty years in London, and at one point the longing to return home can simply no longer be ignored. Only those of you who have lived abroad for a long period will really know what I am talking about.

The call from Barcelona’s manager and boyhood hero, Guardiola, and their players – many of them his friends – was simply too sweet for him to ignore anymore. The flesh is weak but the blood is even weaker, and Cesc was born with Catalonian blood, one of the most patriotic areas in the world. Arsene could not hold him anymore and had to let his prodigy go.

At the time of his imminent departure, I humbly dedicated a post to him urging him to stay at Arsenal for a few more years; saying that now was not the right time to leave Arsenal. His job at Arsenal had not been completed and at Barcelona they did not really need him, at least for the time being. For me, it was all a matter of timing. Inevitably, he would return one day to Barcelona but he should only do so if and when they really needed him.

They didn’t and still don’t need him, and the new manager is, understandably, less willing to somehow fit Cesc in. Cesc is getting restless and might find himself now snookered on the bench of the Nou Camp. The faith of many an Ex-Gunner it seems…

In an interview last season, he said how he always tries to watch all games Arsenal play, and will only miss a game if and when Barcelona and Arsenal play simultaneously. So he will have noticed how his friend and fellow Spaniard – the more mature and seemingly fully adapted to living in England – Arteta has been faring at Arsenal: how he did not fill his spot per se, but nevertheless has fully won over the hearts of the fans with his disciplined and effective displays as one of the deeper laying midfielders.

He must have been wondering how it would be to play alongside the hard working and enthusiastic Basque, and seeing brave sir robin having the season of his life must also have had some impact on him. He will have seen the gap he left behind and was not filled properly last year, and how he could have been really needed, really wanted, and really loved back in London. A love he can only dream of at the Nou Camp.

This feeling of possibly missing out on something will only have become stronger when another fellow countryman and national team colleague, Cazorla, joined Arsenal a month ago. Santi has won over the fans and critics in no time, and has finally filled the gap that Cesc left gaping open for a year.

Besides that, Diaby is showing signs of finally finding and maintaining full fitness and since his departure Arsene has re-invested the income from player-sales in experienced, 25+ year old, quality players – something Cesc had been asking Arsenal for during the last years at our club.

Poor Cesc: he is being torn to pieces between two sets of Spaniards.

On the one hand, Xavi and Iniesta are too good and keeping him out of the first choice team at Barcelona, and on the other hand, both Arteta and Cazorla are inadvertently rubbing in what he is missing out on. Some will say, it is just what he deserves, but I feel truly sorry for him for this cruel twist of fate.

Yes, he did not behave impeccably towards the last few months of his Arsenal career: he might have put his physical (and possibly his mental) health before the needs of the club, and he should not have attended the Spanish GP, but for feck sake, didn’t he give his all for us from the moment he was positioned next to PV4, many years away from becoming a fully grown man?

Our current, new team is one in which Cesc, without any doubt, would love to play, and I would not be surprised if he does not feel at least some regret for leaving us last season.

I would love it if he would return to Arsenal, and rather sooner than later, but it would require more than a small miracle. It would be fantastic if we could field all three Spaniards in our midfield and Cesc and Santi could alternate between the deeper laying and more advanced midfield positions.

But it would mean that the likes of Diaby, Ramsey, Coquelin and JW would be on the bench a lot, or even have to be moved on, and I cannot see Wenger wanting that. Besides, Cesc would be expensive to buy as Barcelona would undoubtedly be hoping to get back most of the money they paid us.

However, of all the players Wenger has developed over the years, Cesc was very special to him; perhaps the most special of all. Cesc was the on-field embodiment of how Arsene wants to play football, his fulcrum, his conductor. There was no doubt how much Arsene regretted having to let Cesc leave for Barca last summer and what a hole he left in his team subsequently. Let there be also no doubt how much Arsene fought for his captain to stay at his adopted home.

And if there is one player I expect Wenger will do everything for, it is for his forlorn son. And that’s why it is still possible we will see Cesc back in the shirt that made him big, at the club where he is loved the most and he fits in to like a glove, and where there is a manager who would once again allow him to conduct the sweetest tunes of football.

Total Arsenal.

149 Responses to Will Arsene save his prodigy Cesc?

1. Silentstan says:

Sentimental tosh

2. oz gunner says:

He deserves everything he gets in my opinion. I have no problem with him wanting to go back but it’s how he went about it that pisses me off the most, but anyone I’m not going into that again.

Would I want him back…yes/no. If he came back he’d just bugger off again when they need him again. It’s a shame he didn’t hang around for 3/4 more seasons and go when it suited both he and us best.

Man city would probably cough up a billion dollars to get him though and that’d make me sick (same if he went to manure). Shame we don’t get santi to put an Arsenal jumper on him, get every player to talk to the media about him returning, and then offer 20million less than his actual worth!

3. oz gunner says:

@ PPP

I hate you! and your team!

4. patthegooner says:

Sadly I can’t see it,

Mangers come and go thick and fast in Spain and I doubt this Villanova chap will last much longer than a season.

Also Xavi is the wrong side of 30 (nearly 33) so I would imagine that Cesc is the long term replacement.

The only way I could see this happening was either as a short term loan deal or if the Barca academy have a better prospect coming through to replace Xavi.

Other than that, look to see where Guardiola ends up next Summer. You may well find that Cesc will follow him there as Arsenal simply wont stump up in excess of 20m for him.

Shame though as a midfield of Wilshire, Cesc and Cazorla is mouthwatering in an attacking sense.

5. Digger says:

A loan move in Jan perhaps?

SS @ 9:55 Sometimes it’s better to remain ‘silent’ stan

Rasp,
    He’s deaf

Podium Post there Total. Thank you.
    My first thought is: exactly how many brilliant midfielders do we need? Wow, feels good writing that.
    I believe Santi will fill the AM slot with uber quality. Then, once Ox has mastered any position he wants, he will become the natural successor.
    So, in conclusion, its a “non” from me, as there are other priorities.

Raddy,
    You’d love it. I’m laying on a no-cooking feast. So its a massive Ploghman’s Lunch. Podolski strength local cheddar, endless kilners of Mrs DidIt’s chutneys and pickeld onions, and a mixture of west country ciders, from a silky smooth Santi brew, to the musclebound Ollie power bottom shaker.

10. Nice post
    Fuck him. he made his bed etc.

11. Dan says:

I have read previously that Arsenal have first refusal should Cesc be made available for transfer. Furthermore I understand that the clause in question also stipulates either a set fee or reduced fee. I have no idea if this is true or not. Can anyone shed any light?

12. I know how this sounds but I’m glad it’s not working out for him.

13. I’m an evil bitch :)

14. Podge says:

Cesc had understandable reasons for leaving Arsenal but he handled the situation badly I don’t think he was fully committed to Arsenal the last 1-2 seasons at the club and the transfer window itself he should have made his intentions clear to the club much earlier, they sold him the day after he told Arsene he wanted to go.

Would I take him back? YES! he is one of the best players in the world, Del Bosque played him up front just to get him on the pitch in the euros. Arsenal was built to his strengths for 5 years the squad we have and the tactics were originally designed to suit Cesc. If we brought him back he could play 2 roles; in his old CAM position with Cazorla moving out wide, in Arteta’s role from last season which is a role he used to prefer and played a similar role brilliantly beside Flamini in 07/08.

Considering Xavi’s age, he will most likely remain at Barca and take over that mantle unless Xavi keeps the passion as his style can be played late into 30′s if he has been looking after himself through his career.Cesc is synonymous with an era in our club history, granted an unsuccessful one, and there is unfinished business.

15. Nabil says:

Arsenal Fan’s should know that because of fabregas nasri clichy, van persie has left arsenal in difficult time as i say that fabregas has shown our star player how to move away from arsenal as now fabregas come to know that he is not getting a chance to play at barca for sack of his international chance at spain would effect for this reason he want to move back to arsenal .Fabregas name should come in all time greatest traitor list of arsenal.

Micky. I have just put myself around a full English and am replete but otherwise your non-cooking feast sounds Pod-tastic.

Agree with your 10.27. Sorry Cesc – brilliant player as you are, you are part of AFC history not the future.

Podge. Fine comment. Fancy writing a post for Arsenal Arsenal?

18. glic says:

A fine post Total
    Cant ever see him coming back, mostly media stoking up the fires as usual. I might be wrong, but I think he was feigning injuries in his last year and that is out of order and shows little respect, It`s amazing how little injuries he`s had since. He loves Arsenal !, I wonder what his attitude would have been if Wenger would have told him he`s staying and playing instead of succumbing to his needs all the time, no wonder he loved Arsenal, everything was laid on a plate for him. Maybe a little discipline and he wouldn`t have been such a spoilt brat !.

19. farouque says:

as much as I feel sorry for cesc, I don’t support the idea of arsenali buying him back. this will mean a player can be bigger than the club, no one is bigger than arsenal, the rest should know if they push for a transfer for bigger clubs, they will never come back. this will teach them all that pastures are not always greener on the other side of life.

20. Vico says:

It d law of Karma,others hv learned 4rm it and others wil alway learned 4rm it.Top,Top,Top special player 4wenger.

21. evonne says:

TA – yes please, yes please, yes please. Had Cesc ever come back, he would never leave again, he’d be the most loyal servant we could ever wish for. I’d buy a season ticket if he came back.
    But I would not be happy if the team was restructured again to fit Cesc, that would be a step backwards.

GM – naughty, naughty, naughty. Channel your inner strength on hating R$P instead

Micky – hog roast on the menu?

22. rvp, nasri, cashley and cesc are all the same to me evonne

23. evonne says:

only because you are stubborn and refuse to listen to me :)

Thanks for the post TA. Your passion shines through as ever in all matters relating to the Arsenal.

I agree with Podge that I think it is extremely unlikely that he would want or even be allowed to come back, he probably just needs to be patient.

I also agree with evonne, I would take him back but not to be the focus of the team and so he could find himself in the same position he’s in at Barca. I wouldn’t swap Arteta or Cazorla for Cesc as the team is better balanced with those two.

We don’t even know how Jack will fit in to the new look side so accomodating Cesc would be very difficult and could lead to unrest in the changing room and we’ve suffered enough from that in recent years.

25. I always listen to you :)

26. Steve m says:

@silentstan.
    This fella spent ages compiling this piece and you sum it up in 2 very well said words. Lol

Hi Steve, thanks for that. You and silentstan must leave a link to your own blogsites for us so we can see how it really should be done.

Rasp. Not just JW. What about Rosicky who really improved as he got game time into his legs. Our MF choices are excellent …

Diaby Santi Arteta

or

O-C JW Rosicky

both of which are better than almost all PL teams and then we have

Ramsey Coquelin Arshavin

which is also top quality (and has 2 National Cpt’s !

Rasp. I like that we keep these rude idiots comments on the site so others can see the effects of poor parenting.

Octaroons …….

I agree Raddy. We may struggle to keep hold of players like Coquelin unless AW and SB can instill an acceptable culture of squad rotation (without compromising results) into the players.

31. Anotherswissgooner says:

Good post,
    What’s done is done, I don’t believe there’s any way back into Arsenal for Fab, even were he inclined to come. The future looks bright to me, and I look forward to an Arsenal where they are not perceived to be overly reliant on one player.

32. deejay says:

In an interview last season, he said how he always tries to watch all games Arsenal play, and will only miss a game if and when Barcelona and Arsenal play simultaneously…. not quite true… if you watch cloself, he has his cellphone and watches live streaming of the arsenal while he’s on the bench, when he is called by the manager to play, he says f**k off I’m watching the arsenal… i have gunners DNA

33. I will love to see Fabregas returning to Arsenal, he is a plyer every Arsenal fan loved when he was for us. Pleased tell him to come, he should come team up with his spanish brothers. Carzola and Artteta are there and they will be happy to see hoim back.

Superbly written and passionate post as always TA.

I don’t hate Cesc (sorry GM :) )but I’m with BR and Micky on this one: he is Arsenal’s past and I’m more interested in our future.

silentstan
    When people say “sentimental” they usually mean “under my defences”. Still secretly pining for a little want-away Spaniard…? Poor you.

Steve m
    You’re right about silent stan. He took only two words to show that he’s a twat. You took 19. You need to be more efficient son…

35. Jaba Gooner says:

Cesc is a good player but bringing him back will be a desaster.
    Firstly,
    lets not look the role he will play but how much he earns at Barca and he ‘ll want Arsenal to pay him not less.
    Second,
    we ‘ve quality players and are loyal to Arsenal, players who refuse to move and would love to sit on bench at Arsenal and fight for a position, players like Rosicky and Arshavin…
    Thirdly,
    we ‘ve got a good combination, Santi, Arteta and Diaby, and Wilshere ‘ll soon be back. So for me, we don’t need Cesc…

Jabba
    I agree with all that – except that I thought I read that Cesc took a pay cut when he went to the Catalunia Diving Academy.

37. VCC says:

Total. Smashing post for a Sunday. One can search the web and not find a better Arsenal subject to talk about during a lull in procedures. My hat comes off to you sir.

I,m in the bring him back camp, but agree with Rasp that he should adapt to our new style and not the other way round. Arsenal should always look towards getting players that are world class, and Fabregas is just that. I also agree it might hinder some youngsters coming through but cream will always come to the top.

By acquiring his services we would have the best squad in the premiership…….simples. AW and SB could utilise a rotation system and keep players fresh.

Hiya VCC
    How are you?
    After reading your comment – and despite having said that I would rather look forward than go back – I would secretly be very excited if the ‘return of Cesc’ really happened.

39. Slimgingergooner says:

People say Cesc should of made his feelings clear to the fans, club etc

How did that work out for RvP?

Its nearly impossible for a player to leave a club these days unless they have won trophies for them, or given their all for 15 years, without a backlash from certai. Sections of fans. Media demands makes sure that an explanation is given and that doesn’t always please everyone.

The fact is he loves this club, is a fine player, and I would have him back in a heartbeat. More importantly, Wenger would too. He saw Cesc more than his own family did for 8 years. That bond won’t be broken because he wanted to go back home.

40. Slimgingergooner says:

On second thoughts, has anyone seen Fellaini’s comments Today? Snap him up Arsene! He is an animal and exactly the type of plan B this club could use. He’s a great target man but also very underrated on the floor.

By the way, what odds can you get on Belgium winning a major trophy in the next few years? They have a first XI as good as most out there.

41. Oluwaseun says:

Even though I love Cesc, the moment he left for Barca, I became a different story. All this factors were there for him to see that he realy had no place in Barca, but he left so what happens to the faith Mr Wenger had in him. Now we have Carzola, Artete, JW, FC,Rosicky,AR, Diaby and Frimbong so there’s realy no place for him again but I wish him the best in his career

42. igburu samuel says:

i for one still love cesc despite the manner he used in leaving arsenal,those glorious games he had with us by commanding the mildfield with the likes of hleb,rosicky and flamini are beyond description eg(ac milan vs arsn 2007/2008 cl).i don`t know how possible it would be to come back even if it is on loan,i would be the first person to support and welcome him to the emirate

43. Richard rikaka ntabo says:

We strongly miss our former skipper, Cesc please come back and we believe wenger should be very glad to return your armpand.

44. Nir says:

As much as i’d love him to return I just can’t see it happening. He is the natural replacement for Xavi and if he does come back he will return to Catalunya when Xavi retires due to his Barca DNA

45. evonne says:

Slim – I don’t want Fallaini. He is Everton through and through. I would not want to do other teams what Mancunians did to us. We already have their Arteta, that must have hurt, Fellaini would be too much

46. I find no fault with this post as it has provoked thoughts from both the ayes and nays. I see no reason though as to why arsenal need to turn to Fabregas again. For years the club had to deal with the speculation of him returning to his first home. Then he agitated for the move to where he is now. So he needs to face facts and ride out whatever storm he is currently going through while hoping for the best. He just can’t flit between there, here and there again without questions being raised about his commitment. We as a club seem to have weathered the turbulence certain players have caused and we now have a squad which is exciting and good enough to give us hope for the future. We should not turn back.

47. Wale says:

While it is all well and good to feel for Cesc – I do – we should not lose sight of the fact that we have the midfield we have now because he (and Samir) left. Would I like to see him back? I’m in two minds because as you rightly pointed out it could spell the end for the Arsenal careers of some really promising youngsters. Arsenal FC is living with the consequences of his departure; he should too.

Welcome Tony C and Wale,

Two excellent comments. Balance is something our team has lacked for quite a while (mainly due to players lost to injury). Currently our midfield looks balanced and cohesive, I see no reason to change that. Bringing in better players does not always mean you get a better team. As has been said before, we have a history of focusing on one star player and that is not a healthy scenario.

49. Barry says:

Cese is a gud player,a formal guners hero,captin nd so on. But what really matters is did arsenal really need his position in their squad.if it is already filled up,wenger should use because he loved him more than any other player in arsenal that year,nd waste big amt of money to barca. Rather,he should spend the money wisely were needed,as he did were santiago is.

50. Norfolk Gooner says:

January is the earliest the Homesick Spaniard could return, by then Jack Wilshire and Thomas Rosicky will be fully fit, Cazorla will be fully bedded in and Diaby playing blinders evey game. So the H.S. can sit on the Barca bench until the new year and then sit on our bench for the rest of the season.

He’s gone he’s history!

51. Bayonne Jean says:

Good debate topic. TA. On the downside, there are more pressing needs than midfield, particularly at fullback and the strike force, as well as the logjam you create with Arteta, Santi, Wilshere, Diaby, Ramsey, Coquelin, Rosicky, the Ox…..

On the possible upside, I can see the mad scientist in AW channeling delBosque and the bandido from “Treasure of the Sierra Madre”:

“STRIKERS??? WE DON’T NEED NO STINKIN’ STRIKERS !!!”

and deploy a combination of Santi and Cesc as his main strike force augmented by Giroud or Podolski?

52. Barry says:

Cese is a gud player,a formal guners hero,captin nd so on. But what really matters is did arsenal really need his position in their squad.if it is already filled up,wenger shouldn’t use because he loved him more than any other player in arsenal that year,nd waste big amt of money to barca. Rather,he should spend the money wisely were needed,as he did were santiago is.

53. Rasque says:

Cesc admit he need a helping hand as prodigan son we 4give hm

54. Nwabueze says:

there is not enough grounds to suppose that Cesc wishes to come back, but if he does, he is welcome.

FabSanteta would be a wonderful midfield.

The imbeciles who decided to have this International break at the beginning of the season should be taken to a deserted island and left there.

WC qualification should be seeded and there should be a knockout competition for countries outside the Top 40. Thereafter a short League with the seeded countries included.

What is the point of going to Moldova, Finland, Estonia etc ?

56. Norfolk Gooner says:

Big Raddy,

Going to places like Moldova gives us a chance to run up a decent score for a change. In which other country could a player like Defoe get five good scoring opportunites, waste four of them and still come out on the right side of a 5 – 0 win.

57. Norfolk Gooner says:

Thanks GM, That’s what we will miss when he goes off to the ACN in a couple of months time.

NG. OK, but would you be saying that if O-C or Theo got injured on a bumpy pitch by a defender who isn’t good enough to play for Barnet

59. Slimgingergooner says:

Evonne,

Whilst I love the fact that Arsenal do business the right way, if a player wants out (as Fellaini seems to want out) then he is fair game to any team looking to improve, and improve us he would (as Yoda would say!).

60. Polosa says:

Come back Cesc

61. Norfolk Gooner says:

BR,

They could get injured by the best defender in the world, on a velvet smooth pitch and they would still be injured.

To relegate the smaller teams, to a knock-out to a knock-out competion, is unfair to their supporters who are just as entitled to see the “big” sides. Let’s not get too elitist, or we may never play the likes of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland again.

62. Norfolk Gooner says:

Too many Knock-outs and a poorly spelt competition there.

63. tonys3137 says:

Fabregas ; Nasri ; RVP ; Gus Caesar; Terry Nutkins

They are all the same in my eyes.

64. goonerjake says:

I would have cesc back.

Though not sure why?

Also not sure where id play him?

possibly front three not midfield three?….. no stupid idea, ok midfield three! But who would I leave out Diaby? er no so its Arteta to miss out erm,….Nah so santi for the bench, i would be mad to do that!

Would im have cesc back? Who knows

65. Norfolk Gooner says:

Time for a cold beer under the apple tree. Have a good evening all.

66. Adrian says:

Highly unlikely. Barca being barca will never do business on the cheap and if reports were to be trusted, they will lose a great deal of $ if they sold Fabregas to other teams (Up to 50% of the fee would go to us) or even to us. Besides, even the greatest player will eventually fall after their prime and Xavi is clearly already over the hill and will start to decline anytime soon. Naturally Fabregas will be his successor and it won’t be long. Besides, taking him back will send out a message that there are indeed players who are bigger than the club. The way he conducted himself before leaving isn’t exactly ideal.

67. Gooner In Exile says:

Evening all, smashing post Total.

If there was a chance Cesc was going to leave Barca I think there are three important questions to ask ourselves:

1) Should we ever take back a player that has left?

2) How would we feel seeing him play for ManUre, Shitty or Chavs?

3) Can he strengthen us?

The answer to those questions for me are:

1) Martin Keown (and even Thierry but under different circumstances)

2) Shit

3) Yes, as others has said he wouldn’t be the only focal point and all the responsibility wouldn’t be on his shoulders (as it was in his last two seasons), but he would be more useful than he is for Barca.

For that reason the decision is easy, if he becomes available we do everything we can to get him back.

68. David says:

Would I want cesc back in a instant absolutely yes yes yes. Why do people worry about having to many good players this attitude is fine in August but come December amd in the epl you have half a dozen top players injured this is where you need your whole squad to be good. Cesc for me
    A long serving legend
    Of arsenal fc he cannot be compared to the other fools people are mentioning on here. He always confesses his love for arsenal would not comment about songs transfer
    Speculation due to his love for arsenal. He took a pay cut
    To join barca fact. The reasons wasn’t for money he was just going home. Why people are bitter I don’t know. One o the finest players I have seen in a arsenal shirt amd
    I have had a season ticket for thirty years. Cesc we love
    You please come
    Home
    To us

69. glic says:

Sassafrassarassum !

70. Red Arse says:

Nice Post, TA, but where are you? :-)

Rocky @1:07 tsk, tsk, :-)

Winner of the cryptic comment:

2 words from Silent Stan = twat; 19 words from bigger twat Steve m = well …… bigger twat!

There you go! You are a mathematician after all. :-)

71. Red Arse says:

Well there’s no need to be rude , Glic! Sassafrassarassum indeed!

More a Wassitgottadowivenyfingsonn.

72. Gooner In Exile says:

Very wise David.

73. glic says:

Hi Redders :)
    Just testing my new avatar, it`d like looking in the mirrror !. :)

74. glic says:

it`d = it`s hehehe

75. Red Arse says:

You really are a handsome beast, Glicster! :-)

And I thought you were kidding. :-)

76. Red Arse says:

TA,

I did not give my opinion, which I know you are waiting with bated breath to learn. :-)

It takes two to tango, and whether we (Arsenal) want Cesc back or not, and I do not, he would have to eat so much humble pie to do so, it will never happen.

‘Never go back’, is pertinent advice —- and he would not want to, and won’t.

77. glic says:

Thank you Redders. True, I am a handsome bastard. We all know that the ladeez cant resist a handsome puppy, coincidently, I cant resist ladeez with nice puppies !. :)

Nice post, TA.

I’m completely over Cesc leaving now, so don’t really wish him back at the club. That wound has healed.

However, if he was to come back to England, I’d wouldn’t be happy if he went anywhere else other than us.
    But since he said he wants to finish his career at the Nou Camp, a return to England seems a remote possibility thankfully.

I’m so much happier with the equilibrium of the squad at the moment and I believe upsetting that balance would be a mistake.

79. Gooner In Exile says:

My personal opinion is that Cesc would enjoy playing with the current crop rather than leading the old crop. That’s why I think i’d have him back. It’s not that I think his better than what we have but I do think he could blend in nicely to the current set up.

Great post TA.

Cant make my mind up on these ex players debates. My evil side done a jig of delight when Cesc moaned the other day. Hitlers jig at the fall of France was nothing, mine lasted 5 miniutes.

Two hours later i regreted my manic jig, felt sorry for the guy, after all he only left to go home and reportedly for less money.

Would i wellcome him back? Course i would. Hes a great player and a lovely guy. On his arrival at Heathrow i would greet himself. armed with a lovely bouquet of flowers and proceed to give him a hugh hug and probably shed a tear in the process. However, two hours later i would probably give him a right hander and do a 5 minute manic jig over his poleaxed body. hahahaha

81. Total says:

Evening guys :)

I did not know the post came out today until late in the afternoon. I finally managed to get through the comments. And a big welcome to a number of bloggers I have not seen on here before.

Is it sentimental ‘tosh’? Yes, but I am proud of being a homo sentimentalis! :)

Many thanks for the fine comments and it looks like the AA-camp is divided. I think GIE has summed up perfectly how I feel about Cesc’s possible return. He was not a good leader for us but a phenomenal player, a specialist, who just loved to play beautiful and deadly football at the same time. In this more experienced team he would be one of the key players rather than the most important one, and that would suit him and us very much.

I agree though that we have moved on and can cope pretty well without him now. However, if he would become more and more unhappy at Barca and he would genuinely love to come back to us, I think the door should be open for him and we should all welcome him back. ‘Class’ also means that we can forgive and rescue someone who was once one of us.

82. Total says:

Terry :) You are a homo sentimentalis too!

Spot on TA, better than been a homo negativetossermentalis like silent stan and that other geezer.

84. Red Arse says:

Look, TA and Terry, if you want to be Homo Sentimentalises, I think you have every right to wear frocks, fishnets and high heels! :-)

85. Red Arse says:

And no, you cannot borrow mine! :-)

86. Total says:

Definitely better, Terry! It works better with the ladies as well…. ;)

87. Total says:

RA, you are our uber-HS! :)

hahaha, hi Redders. Like my favourite Tranny “Pete the Builder” from Romford. Mind you, looking at Pete, hes more like Homo Stilllookslikeamanmentalis.

89. Total says:

RA, were you serious when you said you would not want him back? That threw me! :)

90. Red Arse says:

TA,

It is not for reasons of dislike or disrespect. I just feel he made the break for a deeply felt desire to ‘go back home’, and I would like to see him succeed — and I think he will!

91. Red Arse says:

Got to go guys!

See you tomorrow. :-)

92. Total says:

‘He is, in my opinion, a nice guy, a decent person, and a brilliant footballer, but both he and the club must go on and make the most of the opportunities his move created.’

That is a strong comment RA! :)

See you tomorrow!

93. glic says:

Just been having a chat with Rolf Harris`s lesser known volotiled arsed twin brother, Rough Harris and he said I could use his song called Two Naughty Boys.

Two naughty boys had two naughty toys
    Each had a wooden `scope
    Dailly they played, sticking it away
    Then scrubbing it clean with soap

One little chap then had a mishap
    Broke off the telescopes head
    Wept for his toy, then cried with joy
    As his young playmate said

Did you think I would leave you crying
    When there`s room on my `scope for two
    Climb up here, glic, dont be crying
    It will stretch just as far with two
    When we grow up, we`re both be gooners
    And our `scopes will not be toys
    And I`ll wonder if we`ll remember
    That I liked girls and he liked Boyz…………………….II Men, Boyzone, New kids on the block and all them other boy bands .

94. Shedzy says:

I can’t help but feel that he left at the wrong time and should never have been captain. Ifs and buts, and all that aside – if Rvp had been captain and cesc allowed to play his game, it may have all been different.

Personally, I’d have hi back if he wanted to come, but I don’t see him wanting to return, at least until he is 32-33, at the end of his career, certainly not now. Totally agree with whomever said that if he goes anywhere, it will either be to citeh, chavs or manure or, more likely, wherever pep ends up next…..

95. jnyc says:

As she often does, EVONNE, has voiced a feeling that i share, about fellaini,and taking players well brought in and developed by a club like everton. I feel guilty because of how its happened to us. But dont feel so bad about arteta because he was getting up there in age, and it was good for moyes to cash in at that point. —
    about cesc, of course u wouldnt turn down that talent any time in the future, but my GREATEST FEAR, is that guardiola goes to chelsea (very likely soon) or to manu or city and brings cesc to join. That would make me even more sick. Unfortunately, i could see it happening.

hahahahaha “Rough Arris”. i wonder what ROLF is like in real life? is he realy the artistic and musical genius that is often portrayed? i suspect the reality is that in private he draws pictures of doom and destruction, is a raving alcoholic and frequents some rather unscrupilous Soho establishments. Not that i would know of course. hahaha

97. evonne says:

jnyc – yep, tiny Pep is New York improving his English. It has to be Chelsea; if Cesc goes there I’d be upset but nowhere near as upset as I am with the dutch front bottom

GLiC :D :D :D :D
    You genius!

Do you know that other Rough Harris song, “Tie Your Telescope Down, Tel”?

Goes like this:

Tie your telescope down, Tel
    Tie your telescope down
    Tie your telescope down, Tel
    Tie your telescope down.

Keep your cockatoo cool, Tel,
    Keep your cockatoo cool
    It’s quite an extraordinary tool, Tel
    Just keep your cockatoo cool

Altogether now!
    (CHORUS… Tie your telescope down, Tel etc)

Don’t leave your koala bare, Tel
    Don’t leave your koala bare
    Especially with that stuck-on hair, Tel
    Don’t leave your koala bare

Altogether now!
    (CHORUS)

We’ll tan your ‘scope when you’re dead, Tel
    Tan your ‘scope when you’re dead
    So we tanned his ‘scope when he died GLiC
    And that’s it hanging on the shed
    (and on the garage, and across the front lawn, and half way down the street…)

99. Total says:

GLiC and RL – you are mad word smiths! :)

Total :)
    And Homo Sentimenalists

hahahaha, brilliant Rocky. the more i hear of this Rough Harris the more i like him.

For the sake of humanity “Homo Sentimenalists Unite”

102. I love steampunk. What a great idea to use it for the paralympics

Whats steampunk GM? Sounds like a beating inflicted by men with green mohicans.

104. welshgooner says:

We know le prof didn’t want him to leave. So arsene please give the money back to barca, and pretend it never happened. The three amigos in midfield…. bring on the premiership!

105. Anthony N Ejiofor says:

cesc is one player i loved most and will always do i took after his name u can always come to u we still love u

106. Gooner In Exile says:

Agree GM. Reminds me of Trash City at Glasto last time I went (too long ago).

For festival going types I recommend getting registered and getting your tickets in October, best festival of arts and music in UK. Me and Mrs GiE are contemplating it but think 6 months may be a little too young for first Glastonbury so we will go in 2014.

Do Arsenal charge for babes in arms at Emirates?

Welsh
    If it ever happens, you are officially credited with being the first to christen a Spanish trio of Cesc, Santi and Mikel as the Three Amigos :)

108. Total says:

Agreed with the Rockster: Three Amigos would be a brilliant, brilliant name for them! :)

No, we will not die like dogs! We will fight like lions! Because we are…
    Dusty Bottoms, Lucky Day, Ned Nederlander: The Three Amigos!

109. Up gunners,it s good d way ces realised in time.but his own conditions is different to unders players dat left.fabricas reamnd gunners is still our player also remnd our blood.if he no wat to do to bring him back to emirates he should pls do it by January w can hv him back w luv u.s.

110. smoli says:

Awesome post, almost had me reaching for a tissue there

Thanks for comment smoli
    Total is an excellent author – the piece made me a bit emotional too.

112. SammyNelsonsPants says:

Brady lifted a mediocre team to an FA cup and three back to back finals – not to mention a ECWC final that we should have won. Cesc did… what exactly? Great player no doubt, and 17 goals in a season from MF looks great on paper, but AW built a team and system around him that achieved – not much: though personally, I’m of the opinion that 3rd/4th each year is not the utter club destroying disaster that 13 yo doomers would have you believe.

The Diably, Cazorla, Arteta MF looks better faster and sharper so far than any MF 3 Cesc played in. No more tiki taka putting through Cesc at all costs – more direct, like the AW Mk2 team of Pires and Ljungberg. I, for one, wouldn’t want Cesc back, not if Barca wants to sell, not if he wants to come, not if we can afford it – not at all.

His time at Arsenal is done. TH is the only exception that proves the rule – never go back.

113. Debebe says:

If this happen I love it.

114. True Goon Spoon says:

Great player, and would love to have him back.

He took a wage cut to get his move, and I can’t blame him for going home, unlike the Na$ri’s who only play and move for money.

If he were to come back though, I would hope a clause was put in to his contract, that if any mention of Barca DNA was ever mentioned 15 virgins would be slayed immediately or a nuke would be set off over barcalona.

115. Lusiba Mike says:

No doubt cesc has done a very big mistake to leave Arsenal though Barca was his home team. As of now i didn’t anticipate him to get back but would love to admire him playing alongside Cazola, Arteta and Wilsere.

Interesting how the thought of a Cesc return splits opinion.
    Morning Arsenalistas

I wouldn’t mind betting that Arsene would have said to him “if you are going, then don’t move yet. Stay at Arsenal until you are 28, become a Club Legend then go when the Iniesta’s are finished”

Morning All

Thanks to some fine arguments I am persuaded to reconsider my Cesc position. As was said earlier, ” how can having another world class player be a negative?”

119. Abu says:

We would love to see him and push him to number 10.

Raddy hi,
    The way I read some of the “no return” comments (including mine) the problem is less about too many quality midfielders, rather the thought that he would absorb a massive chunk of fees/wages that could be more wisely splashed about elsewhere.

Back later.

I am amazed no one has said this above.

Cesc is not good enough to play for Arsenal.

Our midfield, is faster slicker and more effective to the point where Cesc would be be a hinderence.

123. evonne says:

LB – I am shocked, Cesc not good enough? How can that be? A year ago he was one of the best playmakers in the world and now he is not good enough for us? Are you saying that he was never great, that the team made him look great, just like with Chelsea and Lampard?

Bought some new design, fine china Arsenal mugs – beautiful, strongly recommend. And a replica Arsenal tube station sign, nice

Morning Evonne

Cesc still is one of the best play makers in the world but we now have better.

125. Total says:

Hahaha LB – you finally got over the loss of your girlfriend then? :)

“Fine china Arsenal mugs” ROLF

127. Total says:

Morning Evonne, cannot wait to drink one of your luuuuvely cups of tea out of your fine china! I’ll bring the chocolates :)

Planning to come to a match in October and hope to be allowed to use your parking space once more… :)

LB,
    That is easily the best comment on this post. “Cesc is not good enough to play for Arsenal”….ha ha

129. Total says:

‘Slowing down’ Cesc:

Total

My new girlfriend does things the previous one didn’t. lol

131. evonne says:

…have my thinking hat on…

132. Total says:

I see LB – a bit more spicy and less cumbersome…

….Santi baby, and hurry down the chimney tonight….

133. evonne says:

Total – deal :)

134. Total says:

Cheers Evonne! :)

Morning all…..

…. New post …….

136. Mark Newman says:

This comment can only come from a bird brain who lives in cuckoo land.

That’s very honest fo you Mark :roll:

138. quip says:

Big question is as Cesc is not happy at Barc and when Guardiola becomes Manure manager, as rumoured last week, will Cesc move to Manure when beckoned by his idol?

139. Olanrewaju Raphael Blessing says:

If Arsene chould go for Cecs by buying him back or through loan deal, that will be wonderful,but i dout the readiness of Cecs for such at the moment.

140. Total says:

Rasp :)

quip, others have already highlighted the nightmarish possibility of Cesc moving to one of our rivals in the PL in the future. Let’s hope he will never do that!

141. I’ve heard the argument elsewhere that part of the reason Barca bring so many players through their youth team is through necessity – that their patient passing game is so specialised that very few outsiders can fit into the new way of playing.
    The argument goes that the reason Pedro has progressed so well and Bojan, the higher rated talent as a kid, was kicked out, was that Bojan wasn’t able to adapt to the specialist style.

Whenever I’ve seen Cesc play for Barca, he does seem to have a noticeably differet style to the rest of the team – more anarchic, more high-tempo…more English.

That’s not to say that Fabregas can’t adapt, he strikes me as a smart enough player to be able to adapt his game, and even if he can’t make it into the team right now, with Xavi getting older and Iniesta alittle injury prone, I can see him breaking through in future.

142. Total says:

that is a fine comment noone. Under Wenger, players are allowed to express themselves a bit more than under the more purist total football disciples like van Gaal and Guardiola. I reckon the biggest problem for Cesc is, he is being played too far upfront and often not even in the middle. If he is played a bit deeper he can conduct the game and he is very good at it. A bit like Pirlo does for Juve and the national side.

143. edache says:

what a lovely write up.tanx alot, i realy enjoyed ur post. as for cesc, he is always a player that every arsenal fan will want to see on the pitch against our opponents. so seeing him return to the dressing room of arsenal is a tall dream that we all hope materialised. cesc pls find ur way back to arsenal. our fingers are up for u hero.

144. Total says: