The Arsenal Laundry Service Cancelled.

That win was too good to just let go after a couple of days; we have been waiting all summer long for that feeling so this post is unashamedly designed to prolong the crowing.

Yes indeed and why you may ask has the Arsenal laundry service has been cancelled? Because of all the clean sheets, of course.

Before we went into that game against pool it was talked about as a real test for Arsenal as Liverpool had shown their fighting form the previous week only failing to beat the mighty man city because of a silly back pass.

One week later and we completely humiliate them — are we credited with realistic statements like this new Arsenal look like they can seriously challenge for the title? No, we get wishy, washy nonsense about how poor Liverpool are and how Brendon Rogers hasn’t had anywhere near the amount of time that Wenger has to put his team together.

I said this in my match report after the Cologne game and I am going to stick with it: the EPL will be between Arsenal and City this season and yes that does mean finishing ahead of manu and Chelsea.

Arsenal didn’t just beat Liverpool in third gear they beat them in second, there is just so much more to come from this team it is frightening.

And talking of frightening, have you ever seen a player quite so two footed as Cazorla? I don’t think I have, his ability is quite amazing and what’s also important is that he looks really happy to be at THOF.

By contrast, have you noticed that we finally have closure on Cesc? He is no longer talked about, he is hardly mentioned now, the reason I would suggest is simple; he has finally been replaced.

The same will happen with BSR, we will continue talking about him until Giroud takes over, this will become apparent in two ways: The Frenchmen will start scoring goals and the away fans will start bellowing out the song “Who needs Van Persie when we had Giroud.” It’s going to happen; it’s just a question of time.

I watched Barcelona-Valencia on Sunday to see how Alex was getting on. I was fascinated to see if he made the same kind of school boy errors for them as he did for us. The answer was no; they had obviously told him to keep his passing simple and always find your man, pretty basic really but effective nevertheless. I thought this transfer really showed Wenger’s tough side, no room for sentiment there: we have had an offer from Barcelona to buy you, collect yours stuff.

Why didn’t Theo also leave this window? Because no offers for him came in would be my guess. Something is not right there, Arsenal have never let a player run down his contact, apart from Flamini but who predicted he would have the last season he did, anyway Walcott is different his value is obvious so I still see him going in the January window to avoid the complete loss in sale value.

Did I mention that we beat Liverpool two nil at Anfield before? Well we did and it was a great feeling then and it is a great feeling now.

Onwards and upwards my fellow Arsenal loving friends.

Written by LB

165 Responses to The Arsenal Laundry Service Cancelled.

1. Shard says:

A good post LB. Very well written.

I hope you are right about the title being a fight between us and the blue mancs. I just have a feeling that they will implode this season. can’t quite explain why, but still. And if we’re the ones to benefit from that then yaay.. I do think this season we’ll break our much publicised ‘trophy drought’. Will it be the league title? I think it depends on some ‘luck’ running for us, but maybe it’s about time that happened as well.

I don’t know what to make of the Walcott situation. I guess you are right in that there were no acceptable offers for him. Or maybe we couldn’t negotiate a deal for any replacement. I agree we should count on him being sold in January. But that makes a decision to sell Arshavin (if true) risky. I think we should just hang on to him now if Theo is to be limited in his appearances and then sold.

2. Harry Barracuda says:

I wouldn’t say we humiliated them, if it wasn;t for Suarez being known by refs as a loathsome little cheat they would have had one penalty for sure.

3. GunnerMike says:

I love your confidence in predicting that the EPL winners this season will be between us and Man City. More realistically, after only 3 matches, it definately looks like a top 4 of AFC, Chelski and the 2 Mancs. My positive prediction at this stage is that we will not be finishing 19 points behind the winners, but will be right in the mix until the end.

4. Candid gunner says:

Well written LB!

We have had offers from Barcelona to buy you, collect your stuff!

Sounds like General Wenger! Nice one…

5. MikeSA says:

Just a note, Edu and Wiltord both ran their contracts down as well.

6. oz gunner says:

Great post LB, love the title choice. Reading this sort of stuff really gets you excited for the season ahead. I walk into every season thinking we are going to win the league, and this season is no different. I agree that it’ll be between us and the oilers, I just don’t think Manure have it in them with a frail defense and lack of creativity in the midfield. Hopefully from both a personal and Arsenal stand point BSR can miss games so they get killed off rather quickly. As for Chelsea, like Liverpool they are putting a lot of faith into one striker. They need to hope Torres keeps firing/diving and stays injury free.

I really think Giroud is going to fit in well with our system, I can’t wait until he starts banging them in for fun.

I like what I see from Santi, I thought the small fella was going to exhibit typical Spanish International team traits, but he is made of some tough stuff.

7. oz gunner says:

I also like the new Arsenal first mentality adopted into the team. Mr Arsenal said it perfectly, and hopefully all the players stand by it!

8. henrychan - indonesia says:

City bring Javi Garcia.. More spanish in EPL..
    Who are better.. Silva-Garcia or our midfielders Santi – Arteta..

Seeing 3 games of City.. Silva didn’t give much contribution as he did last season.. And Garcia was not played yet..
    Santi is awsome.. Arteta is getting better and better..

So for me.. our spanish midfielder are better than city..
    Go Gunners..

Morning LB, excellent multi layered post.

I agree we have a stronger squad and a better team ethic. I wouldn’t swap Santi for Cesc now, he’s damaged goods.

I also think you’re bang on as regards Theo. I don’t think we had any concrete offers for him and I hope making him watch the Ox play against pool was a deliberate ploy to show him what could lie ahead unless he signs a new contract and works hard on improving his game.

The one thing that saddens me is that Barcelona have instantly got Song to stay deep and keep it simple and we, either didn’t ask that of him or were unable to get him to play that way. I tend towards the latter – I wonder if Steve Bould could have got him to be more disciplined? Like you, I was pleased we adopted the ‘pack your bags’ approach as it sends out a messge to anyone who may be of similar mind.

But I now believe we have a better, more balanced team without Song and Cesc and the goals will come from more than one player which can only be good.

10. David Biggs says:

when the Arse goes on a free and if they can shift Givenio too then Gnarby and Eisfeld will replace them in the 25, now that is is what I call a healthy reserve pool. I agree manure are bereft of options and and aging reserve’s awaiting they bus passes I can afford a wry smile at he who joined them when he views the league table at the end of the season and sees they are below the team he jumpped ship from for £££££££.

11. Red Arse says:

A very good Post, LB. :-)

Stylish, informative and reflecting the views of many other fans. Thank you.

Morning David,

You’re right about Eisfeld, he impressed me greatly in pre-season. He is very comfortable on the ball, can already thread through the killer passes and has an eye for goal. He’s definitely one for the future, I can’t see we have any room for more ‘midfield maestros’ (Arsène’s favourites)

13. oz gunner says:

Does anyone have any info on Chucks Aneke? Some say he is going to be a force, others are saying he has stagnated and seems a touch to slow. Youtube clips show a force…but don’t they always

@ Rasp

even more amazing if he develops into a better footballer than gotze, considering he was the FAR cheaper option.

14. Red Arse says:

Well that’s it — Eisfeld is doomed — the Rasper has picked him out as one for the future!! :-)

I can hear Glic’s firing/bungee squad limbering up for you as we speak, Rasp! :-)

15. 26may1989 says:

Nice post LB, you can always be counted on for some robust optimism!

On Theo, I’m sure he’ll sign (though PHW’s comment that nothing is happening as Walcott rejected the proposal is worrying). It’s a squad game and we need all the attacking options possible (in fact, we could do with having more, not fewer), so I certainly hope we hold onto him.

My predictions to go alongside yours on our season: after good starts, RvP and Song will fall away. Or is that just wishful thinking???

Chuks Aneke, along with Eisfeld, is my current fave reserve, he’s looked great in recent games. But then I thought JET would be the next Steven Gerrard, so best not to rely on me…..

16. Slimgingergooner says:

Not worried about Giroo, remember Kozzers first season? Didnt exactly set the league on fire, but he was willing to work on his game and was our best defender last season. I expect Giroo to get 10-15 goals this season and then we will see the real deal next season.

17. Sav from Australia says:

Nice uplifting post today (evening for me). I think you are hitting the mark about Theo’s contract situation.

@ David Biggs

I diagree about shifting Gervinho. He is really a very good player. I saw him play for Ivory Coast and he is a different player from what we have seen so far in the Premier League. I suspect it is something to do with nerves, but the potential is there.

18. rhyle says:

Well said, LB…rightly still banging the drum after a great performance!

Completely agree with re: Sant Cazorla. Not sure what’s more impressive, the man’s obvious talent or his rapidly developing relationship with Podolski – rare to see two players reach an understanding on the pitch like this pair have after just three games together (one half of a pre-season friendly notwithstanding…). Posed the question of their being a place for Fabregas at the Emirates when I posted the Mail article in the comments yesterday…of course there is a place for him at THOF…on the bench, next to Theo…

Would like to think you’re right about a challenge for the title and do think we’ll be there or thereabouts…although to say that Man Utd and Chelsea won’t be there is a bit ambitious…Think Chelsea will bury 12/13 of the teams they have to face with only the attacking, positive sides giving their obvious defensive frailties a test. As for Man U? I can’t write them off after 3 games, especially with a player who’s going to score a hatful for them…the twat.

Song for Barca really reminds me of Gilberto for us…disciplined, used to break down counters and then knocks the simple ball sideways punctuated with a couple of decent forward runs when the space opens up. He looks good for them (so far)…

19. Wonderman says:

Great post LB. IMO Santi is the most two footed player I have ever seen and a grafter at that! You could be right we may have found the exorciser of Cesc’ s ghost.

On the Song point, as fluid as it appears, Barca play to a zonal 4-3-3 system where everyone knows their roles and responsibilities. It would have been made clear to Song what his are, so the ‘ go and express yourself ‘ edict he had before are out of the question. But let’s face it, its not as if there is a shortage of creative players ahead of him ?

The Theo situation for me is a bit bizarre. We all know he has frightening pace, but we also know he doesnt have a trick, feint, or disguise etc which effectively makes him redundant except in the rare cases where teams allow him space to run into. I was at the sunderland game and rather than give the team width, he continually made runs inside, now you could say that was Jenkinsons fault , but then he didn’t look threatening then either. For me, he hasn’t come on as quickly as I would have liked. if he was making intelligent runs to finish from supply coming from the opposite side ala Ljunberg I could understand, but I can’t help but feel than Ryo wil replace him sooner rather than later unless his passport is his trump card

20. Rob Lucci says:

I don’t think Fabregas is fit with the system that we play right now. Santi bring pace with his game. Fabregas slowed everything down.

I would rather have a fit Rosicky as a backup for Santi. If he want to come he can play in the FA or Carling Cup.

21. rhyle says:

The Best Striker in the World has been told that he’s too fat to play by Juve…

Magic. Couldn’t make it up.

22. Norfolk Gooner says:

I like the positivity of the post Liverpool game post, glad to see LB is still at his post doing what he does best, which is to post. Sorry just trying to get as many posts into my post as I can, I’ve been expecting an important letter in the post but the postman didn’t have any post to put through my post-box this morning.

Arshavin could be off on a free transfer so I think Walcott will stay and sign a new contract, I don’t take much notice of PHW’s ramblings and the quote could be an old one being recycled.

I didn’t see Song’s Barca debut but maybe he has been told in no uncertain terms that his post is to stay back and cover the defence, they have enough attacking mid-fielders and there’s no room to post anymore around the pitch.

23. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

Spot on LB.

The Rodgers Revolutionaries gave Citeh a real scare…but one week later the newly named Rodgers Rugrats put up no defence against a very average Arsenal side. Yeah right.

These media whores (with no offence intended to whores in general..??) do my head in.

Lets face it, the MWs were hoping for a flat 0-0’er so that they could stick the boot into two teams who’d not spent on deadline day.

24. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

The ten mins or so I saw of Super Alex Song* in a Barca shirt were awful….he played like he was a robot.

Wot a pointless move that was for him…all that talent, and you’re told to pretend you are Jon Obi Mikel with barely 11 assists in 5 seasons, let alone 11 in your last.

Even Pique ventured further forward than Super Alex Song

* Just so people know where I’m coming from ;-)

25. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

Rosicky over Fantastic Fabregas*…?? Woah there Rob.

I used to think you were alright…. ;-)

* Same as above

26. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

Oh and Wonderman’s wonderful comment @12.20 is mostly stuff I’ve told him on the phone !

David Biggs @10:23.

David nobody has to leave the club in order for Gnabry and Eisfield to play in the 1st team as they are both under 21and are therefore automatically a part of the 1st team squad.

In point of fact our full squad consists of 7 home grown, 16 over 21 and 44 under 21. So we have a total of 67 players and they are all eligible, although not necessarily capable, of playing in our 1st team squad.

28. Candid gunner says:

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed tha Bacary Sagna’s name is missing from the list of players registered for CL?

CL A squad
    27. Gervinho
    28. Kieran Gibbs
    29. Marouane Chamakh
    47. Serge Gnabry.

30. Candid gunner says:

Thank you Rasp.
    What I got from goal.com and bbc.co.uk excluded the Bac’s name.

31. @ Wonderman (et al)
    As regards Theo, he won’t leave on a FREE, no way!
    As for Ryo, I personally doubt he’ll make the grade with us. He’ll need to be (or become) better than the man he’s replacing. Wenger, I feel, is playing things similar to Song’ s exit, basically, if you’re not happy with your dosh “there’s the door”.
    Song’s departure was rapid and took many by surprise… Theo will leave soon, either January or summer (and with the extension signed, for a fee therefore).
    Wenger is either looking for his replacement (other than Ox of course), or has already earmarked his man. It wouldn’t surprise me if Mario Gotze were to be that man… available this summer I believe. Another reason for Wenger to have held onto his cash reserves (to a degree) in the recent (now closed) window. Gotze for Walcott?
    Time will tell.

32. @ LB
    Sorry… manners! Good post, thanks.

33. 26may1989 says:

So Sagna is there, phew.

But interesting to see that, despite having space in the CL squads, City omitted Kolo and Chelsea omitted Malouda (and Kolo was also omitted from City’s 22 man PL squad). Perhaps they’re about to be shipped off to Turkey or Russia.

Would be delighted if we got Mario Goetze one day, just can’t see it happening – he’ll be in a Barca shirt when he leaves Dortmund. Anyway, Eisfeld will be better.

34. Wonderman says:

Hi Big Al, Ryo I hear is as quick if not quicker than Theo, can use both feet and has more than a trick in his locker. Commercials aside, what exactly about him do you see that makes you believe he won’t make the grade . Theo is being overshadowed by the Ox at both club and international level, if he wants to be a central striker he is at the wrong club IMO as he doesn’t have the body strength

35. goonerjake says:

Don’t know about Bac and whether he is in cl squad will check it out.
    Am still buzzing from excellent win against liverpool.
    Santi excellent same too diaby and arteta got jack coming back but still would welcome cesc back.
    I hold no bitterness to cesc. For arguments sake if any of you were playing for barca then arsenal came in for you would you go? Or course you would its the club you love, same situation for cesc when he was at arsenal he went to the team he supported.
    Not like the scum cashley, na$ri, or brave sir robin the mercenary bunch

Just for the sake of clarity here are the 2012/13 squad rules – copied from the Premier League site.

………………………………………………………………………………………..

04 September 2012

Premier League Clubs submit Squad Lists

 For the 2012/13 season each club had a deadline on 4th September to submit a squad containing no more than 17 players who do not fulfil the Home Grown Player criteria. The remainder of the squad, up to a total of 25 players, must be Home Grown.

 A Home Grown Player means a player who, irrespective of his nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to the Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday (or the end of the Season during which he turns 21).

 Changes to the squad list of 25 may be made during the period of a Transfer Window.

 U21 players are eligible over and above the limit of 25 players/squad.

 For the 2012/13 campaign Under 21 players will have been born on or after 1st January 1991.

LB. Lots to chat about which is the essence of a quality post.

Like you I am still in the warm fluffy place formed by winning on a rivals ground.

The Pod goal will be one of my highlights of the season – what a first goal it was. His explosive pace allied to the selfless running of Giroud and Santi’s killer pass were evidence of our sparkling future.

Wonderman. A very good comment even if it was informed by SSG!

Rhyle. Fabregas – “of course there is a place for him at THOF…on the bench, next to Theo…” Great stuff

38. Candid gunner says:

And Jack Wilshere is on the B-list, based on his homegrown status, plus, he is U-21

Thanks LB, you touch on a lot of subjects there. I agree about us and City but i do think Utd will be there to. There win ratio at old Trafford is phenomenal and with Van Pussy i expect that to continue. It wont do them any good however, we will edge them out and take our first title since 2004.

Jake, know what you mean about Cesc. He left to play for his boyhood team. If say for example i was Real Madrids top striker (dont laugh hahaha) and Arsenal came calling i would headbutt Mourinio, kick Ronaldo in the groin, and book myself a one way ticket to the Grove. Its only natural.

goonerjake. If I was playing for Barca and Arsenal came in for me I would walk to the Ems.

LB,

For me the after glow of the Liverpool game has been replaced by the reality that it was just one game, and frankly if Webb had given Liverpool the nod, and not us, on a couple of iffy penalty calls then we may all feel very different.

In 65 plus years of watching I think I’ve seen just about every possible eventuality and have been both devastated and thrilled by various outcomes.

All I’m really saying is that I’m totally thrilled at our start to the season and yearn that it may continue – however, I’m long enough in the tooth to realize that both injuries and referee’s always seem to play an unusually large part in our final standings, and so far they have not struck.

My hope is that your positivity prevails – and not my long tooth.

Robust optimism…….hhhmmmm………I like that.

Just back from a bit of cycling in Hertfordshire, went past Peaches house as usual, beautiful out there.

Glad you’ll liked the post.

LB,

Does Peaches leave you a water bottle on the garden wall?

44. I’ve just been offered two extra tickets for the Paralympics for tonight, for the Athletics, would need to meet me at Stratford Gate at 6.30. Any Londoners interested? email me @arsenalnuts.live.co.uk or text me if you know me

Fine Post LB – and a very clever headline.

I, for one, am very happy to bask in the afterglow of Sunday’s win.

As Gn5 says, one swallow doesn’t make a summer – but we’ve had three good performances so far, not just one. And the encouraging signs are there for all to see.

46. WiganGooner says:

Great job LB.

I don’t know if anyone else has noticed, (it has been a rather subtle difference) but there seems to be a rather more positive attitude towards Arsene and indeed Arsenal compared to this stage last year…

Can’t think why?

The squad is looking awesome.

WG

Wiggy
    Do you mean among Gooners or among the media at large.

48. @ Wonderman, 1.38
    Thanks for reply
    “what exactly about him do you see that makes you believe he won’t make the grade”
    He’s a smaller version of Theo. Your comment re Theo’s strength applies also to Ryo, I feel.
    As for your final 3 lines – I feel you’re perhaps under the impression I’m a big Theo fan (?)… I’m not; far too inconsistent for a top club such as Arsenal. Too ‘invisible’ too often. I won’t be crying into my beer if, or rather when, he leaves.
    Perhaps your final 3 lines were just a general comment, not just for my benefit (not sure)… anyway, Goetze and the Ox competing for the wide position would do me fine.
    Cheers buddy.

49. WiganGooner says:

Hiya RL

I mainly point the comment at Gooners, as the general Media, ex Manager and ex footballer consensus is that they were wholly justified in roasting Arsene for the way we started last season and that the end of the season did not do anything to assuage their guilt. Not even to the point of suggesting that perhaps Arsenal over-achieved based on their feeble expectations.

WG

Wiggy

It’s as if the journos are part of the system, rather than impartial observers judging it from outside – which is what journalists are meant to do.

51. oz gunner says:

@ LB

has peaches ever chased you down the street with water bombs?

@ Big Daddy

agree in regards to the goal! Arsenal new boys combine!

52. WiganGooner says:

RL

I think you hit the crux of the matter, Sports journalism is an interesting field. I love writing about Sport, therefore I attack it with enthusiasm and a passion that only someone who loves it can.

Not everyone who writes for Newspapers like sport, perhaps they went into Journalism to get the next Pulitzer, or whatever and somehow ended up in Sport because they aren’t quite good enough.

Also, the vast amount of Footballers ex and still playing who write for the papers (via a ghost writer I’m sure) lower the journalistic standard. When you get normal folk, with a smattering of English (like Cesc for example) writing a column for the Sun.

I like the idea of getting an insight into the game from a current player*, but to have the likes of Stan Colleymore, who is a complete and utter fool writing or performing any kind of journalism/punditry is an affront to anyone who actually a) Loves the sport and b) Likes unbiased opinion.

WG

*Although, being honest I don’t think this could ever be achieved without bias due to club and fan loyalty.

.. wow..what a rant…sorry! :)

Wiggy
    I enjoyed your piece about the BFG today – I’ve left a comment on your site. I’m glad to see the comments are working for me now.

(For everyone else, you can like to Wigan Gooner from the Blogroll sidebar above).

54. WiganGooner says:

Rocky – thank you :) I try not to shamelessly plug my own material on here as I don’t want to take attention away from the excellent authors on here – which reminds me I am well due to submit another article…

I will hasten over and have a look at your comment :)

WG

55. Gooner In Exile says:

Rocky unfortunately they are, Sky invest in the product, Sky owner owns various newspapers….and so newspapers or sky journos commenting negatively about the “product” is unlikely. And commentators in other papers and media are hopeful for argo job at Sky so they don’t partake either.

It is only those long in the tooth journos that dare comment on the money bias.

LB a fine offering, I share your opinion on money not coming in for Theo but it could just as easily be that it was forthcoming and he decided to stay (as allowed under contract) with the probability of a nice signing on few in July 2013.

As for Songs new role at Barca I would put this down to something Cesc said last season, along the lines of “everyone has their place and duty and if they don’t do it the system breaks.” The duty is to get the ball to Lionel.

As for post Shamfield afterglow….I’m very much enjoying it. I hope you are right that there are a few more gears to shift through, I also like the fact that looking at the side/squad you can see that no one is secure in their place. The starting eleven now could easily be changed by 3/4 players and not be significantly weakened, so everyone will be playing for a place every game. That’s a good thing.

56. I just got back from the paralympics. I saw a gooner get his gold medal :)

57. Gooner In Exile says:

Also a question we often hear that a twenty goal a year forward will be the difference between title chasing teams and relegation threatened teams, why does a goal scoring machine like Jordan Rhodes end up at Blackburn rather than in the PL?

Also I tend to think the top sides (including Arsenal) look at forwards differently….Stephen Fletcher has been a 1 in 3 games scorer, but he hasn’t exactly played for teams who would be creating chance after chance for him to squander, so I figure he makes the most of limited chances to score goals, how much more effective could he be playing at the Emirates or OT?

58. Just saw your comment peaches. If anyone can go make sure you do. Talk about humbling experience I wanted to cry the whole time. girls with legs missing running faster than I could ever have ran. The sitting discus was fantastic

GM
    Who was the Gooner? What did he win?

60. My bindipper butcher thinks van pussy will score 45 league goals for the mancs

No chance GM. I bet he gets less than 20.

62. Hi Rocky
    It was David weir. He got his gold for the 1500 T54 (wheelchair). I watched him win his 800 heat. If he wins on Thursday it will be his 3rd gold.

63. Adrian says:

The fact that Song remained well disciplined in Barca’s formation and hardly ventured forward should be more than enough proof to those constantly critizising Song for his tendency to push forward and thus leaving our defenses exposed that his constant attacking instincts last year was under the instructions of Wenger. This was because we didn’t have any natural playmakers last season and naturally Song was asked to contribute to attacks whenever possible by Wenger. IMO, Song has a lot to offer and can be a proper, well disciplined DM that acts as that shield in midfield if there’s a proper playmaker in front of him.

Hi Adrian, if that’s true, why was AW so keen to let him go?

65. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

Cheers GM..I’ve just mailed Peaches. It means I’ll have to go buy a jumper or sweatshirt though, as I’m at work with no jacket today. I’ll freeze tonight otherwise, right..??

66. WiganGooner says:

@Adrian

I do believe that Song has the ability to be a very good player. It is his mentality that is in question. It was his attitude to training etc that has been called into question.

He is a good DM when focussed, but when he isn’t given a specific player to mark, then he would go missing and try and influence the game. You only have to look at Arteta to see how a deep-lying playmaker should play and Arteta can tackle too!

WG

67. evonne says:

Angel – I am going too, shall I bring you a jumper or a jacket? My son’s

Cheers GM – amazing achievements by those guys. Funny how it makes it so much better when the winner is a Gooner :)

Adrian makes a good point about Song’s wandering tendencies last year. With no like-for-like replacement for Fabregas I’m sure he was given some licence to contribute to the attacking play when the opportunity arose.

69. Gooner In Exile says:

That may be true but didn’t we hear part of the reason for his departure was due to not following coaching staff directions? Could it be he had an easy ride and now is being a good student for his new bosses?

70. Red Arse says:

I saw the Song debut for Barca, and on the odd occasion he went too far forward I saw other players yell at him [couldn't hear them admittedly] and he scampered back into defense like a naughty boy!

I thought he played well. Then I thought he played well for us too!

Another mystery regarding the speed of his departure, and I suppose we will never know.

71. Red Arse says:

Hi Wigger,

It’s good that you have started up Wigan Gooner again. :-)

I have popped on occasionally and you have obviously been busy.
    I have also lost 2 or 3 comments into the aether – don’t know why. :-(

You write beautifully, and deserve a bigger audience, but means a daily Post or people like me forget to go and look! :-)

I don’t know if I told you, but my short term memory is not so good.

I don’t know if I told you, but my short term memory is not so good.

GM,

You should remind your butcher that only 6 players have ever scored 30 or more goals in a season and only 1 player has done it more than once, no players have ever scored 40 or more.

1-A.Shearer-34-1994-1995
    2-.A.Cole- 34-1993- 1994
    3-A.Shearer-31-1993-1994
    4-A.Shearer-31-1995-1996
    5-C.Ronaldo-31-2007-2008
    6-R.Van P-30-2011- 2012
    7-K.Phillips-30-1999-2000
    8-T.Henry-30-2003- 2004
    9-D.Drogba-29-2009-2010
    10-R.Fowler-28-1995-1996

RA. It wasn’t money. 15m for him was OK but no more and we could have got that in two years as he had a long contract. Nor could it have been on on-field problem – Song had his best season last year.

So it must have been off-field. He is a family man, has 2 children (did you know he has 27 siblings – 10 brothers and 17 sisters!!). Could it be drink/drugs/ attitude to his job, attitude in the dressing room, taste in music?

74. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

Well said Adrian.

Rasp I think its oerhaps because AW feels he has better options than Song for box to box roles.

75. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

Hey Big Randy – I’ve seen vids of Song dancing….thatd’ do it

Thanks Sharkey, you may be right, none of us know.

I do believe no-one is denying he wanted to discuss a new contract when he still had 3 years to go on his present deal. He may well have been worth the pay rise he was angling for but I guess after Nasri, RvP etc. it may have sounded alarm bells amongst the management and they didn’t want to be held to ransom again in a year or twos time so decided to sell him now because as you say, we have some exciting young players who can fit in the new midfield arrangement.

SS. I knew it was an off-pitch issue!

Or AW was banking on getting Cabaye

79. Red Arse says:

BR,

I think the Shark man is wrong. I have it on good authority [Glic] that it was his dodgy hair-do!! :-)

Hi Raddy, I think the economics graduate was always going to make a nice profit on his dealings :P and the way it currently looks, we didn’t need Cabaye – but he’s a good player for sure.

It’s surprising that there are reports we are prepared to let AA go on a free, that would be unprecedented (therefore its probably a journalists fabrication)

Rasp. Why keep an unhappy player who costs the club 80k a week (guesstimate)?

I think AA at 31 and on such high wages is unsellable to anywhere except Russia

RA. It has to be said that this current bunch have much better haircuts than previously – though Cazorla is an exception (and Sagna)

I agree Raddy. I do think Song’s onfield personna changed at one point and there were times when he could have put in more effort (just my opinion). We’ve seen time and time again how an unhappy senior player will effect others in the dressing room.

This is one reason why I can’t feel too angry abut RvP. He was a good leader last season, if only he hadn’t released that statement we could remember him with more affection. But maybe going to the mancs is betrayal enough on its own.

84. Maybe Wenger couldn’t take any more of Song’s silly hairstyles.
    It’s only a matter of time til Song has it done like the bloke in ‘A Flock Of Seagulls’.

Rasp
    I’ve popped a small “conversation starter” in drafts.

Thanks Rocky, another mini masterpiece I’m sure :P

Well Rasp, it’s certainly mini :)

88. Adrian says:

The fact that we sold him for only 15M when we could’ve gotten the same price or perhaps even more the following year is a puzzle indeed. Perhaps his attitude really became that bad that Wenger had no choice. (Doubtful about this though, after all this only came to light after he left and even AW denied this..) Or perhaps the people on top wanted the books to be balanced as they wouldn’t feel good starting a new season with a net loss in transfers which is no surprise really. Nevertheless, if Diaby keeps up his current form without getting injured and JW actually manages to be back by October, the midfield area should be well covered. Unfortunately, lady luck and injuries aren’t exactly in good terms with Arsenal most of the time.

89. rhyle says:

Well…Andrei being in the CL squad must mean the journos have done their usual bang-up job on the free transfer for AA23 front, then…

90. Red Arse says:

mini mouse – mini cooper – mini dufour – mini weaner — what?

91. Red Arse says:

Crikey — I would hate to be a journalist. I would certainly cringe to hear all the paranoid stuff aimed at me. Everyone else is perfect, of course. Just glad I am me, in that case! :-)

92. goonermichael says:

We look a lot better without Song. I don’t think it’s his fault but the balance between defence and attack looks better.

I think it was his shoes bringing the game into disrepute that did it for him.

93. dandan says:

Enjoyable article LB thank you. For those that are interested there is a an exclusive interview with Michel Platini on BBC 5 live @ 19.30 (7.30 PM) English time

94. goonermichael says:

football Journos are mostly liars.

95. rhyle says:

Hardly paranoid, RA…unless of course you weren’t referring to me, in which case it’s VERY paranoid…lol…just saying how much filler you get in the papers after the TW slams shut.

AA23 for free…turns out you CAN make it up…seriously doubt we’d let him leave the club now we’ve named him in the CL squad…

RA. It is not all journo’s, Patrick Collins, Martin Samuel, Amy LAwrence and a few others are excellent.

Is there an anti-Arsenal bias? Just listen to Talksport and tell me it is paranoia.

97. rhyle says:

Don’t think it’s an anti-Arsenal bias…even in Talksport’s case. The media are just predicated to getting viewers / listeners / readers involved. In Talksports case especially, the majority of their on-air content is driven by listeners who call in. No easier way to do that get on the wind-up on the Arsenal…guaranteed to have the switchboard lit up in seconds flat.

Viewers / listeners / hits = £££££ – and if you look at all stats in terms of reaction & involvement in all, we’d be right up at the top.

Nothing particularly Machiavellian or sinister about it…the media are no longer built to tell us the truth / deliver us the news…just there to put forth owners agenda and attract a larger audience. Unfortunately, we’re an easy target because, as I’ve already said, we’ll fight our corner and get involved!

Notable exceptions: Adrian Durham, who is nothing but a pile on the arse of humanity and Oliver Holt who doesn’t really hate us, just really hates Alan Davies…

98. rhyle says:

by the by…if you want to see how the media should be run…watch / DL “The Newsroom”…excellent show on Sky Atlantic from Aaron Sorkin (A Few Good Men, The Social Network, The West Wing) about…well…a newsroom…

99. glic says:

After all that Squad Number blah blah blah zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz of earlier, may I thank you LB for keeping me awake with a fine post !.
    When I was young I practiced for hours dribbling , shooting ( let me finish, this is a football comment ) and passing with both feet, free kicks and corners were taken with my so called weaker foot, so personally, I have even more admiration for Santi. I would have loved us to have bought him years ago, but then again, Marca City would have taken him away.
    So Stretch, How many wives ?, you said current wife and former wives, that make`s at least 3. you must have been stretched to the limit !. That seem`s to be a trend on AA with the guy`s and girls, I`m not knocking it as at least you have your priorities right in just keeping with the one football team !. :)

100. 26may1989 says:

Most football journos and pundits are craven cowards, more interested in maintaining the free flow of freebies and off the record chats than they are in actually calling it as it is. Rocky’s comment at 3.19pm is on the button: “The fact that the media don’t refer every day to the inherent unfairness of the current league system, where the clubs with the most profligate billionaires can just buy trophies and heap massive debt on the clubs always amazes me.” Every single report on City or Chelsea should start with a reference to the competition-warping effect of their financing.

OK, I overstate things a bit, but not that much.

Do they have a particular thing about Arsenal? Probably not, but many of them like to pick on Wenger because he’s the class swot. It virtually goes without saying that they wouldn’t dare treat Ferguson that way, for fear of one of his ludicrous bans.$

But I do exempt from my contempt the honourable few, such as those Raddy mentions.

101. TT says:

From what I can see, the “AA23 for free” news started with a Telegraph report by Jason Burt, who said:

“Arshavin does not figure in Arsene Wenger’s plans and although Arsenal had hoped to secure a transfer fee of around £5m for a player they paid more than £13m for in 2009, the club is now prepared to allow him to leave for free given that he is going into the final year of his contract.”

That’s it. Nothing to back it up. Furthermore, the sentence is vague. “Club prepared to allow…” blah blah… “given that…” blah blah. Is Mr. Burt claiming that Arsenal will definitely let AA23 go for free? Or is he just pointing out the obvious that if Arsenal do not sell AA23 in time, he will go for free? Does he not care that there is another transfer window for the EPL? And am not sure, but doesn’t the Russian PL have three transfer window?

Anyway, I’ve no idea what category of journalist Jason Burt falls under, but I’m much more wary about those that just re-bleat any silly news. My “hide” list is long now :)

102. Red Arse says:

The Newsroom is a particularly good tho’ idealistic representation of an American TV newsroom — oddly enough. Brilliant show!! :-)

I was only making an observation about fans responses to journalist that I have made many times before.

I just cannot join in a group ‘hate’ without knowing the who, how where and whyfores!

That’s not to say I think all journos are perfect, I don’t — and I really dislike Durham — but then I don’t believe all journos are biased liars either.

Sorry if that makes me the odd one out, but I will just have to live with it!! :-)

103. 26may1989 says:

Red Arse is odd? Surely not…. :)

104. glic says:

I must be the odd one, as I like Adrian Durham, I`d buy him a drink as anyone who makes me laugh like he does deserves a pint. Too many fall into the trap of taking him serious. I find him very entertaining !. :)

Rhyle is right about the anti-Arsenal agenda being all about driving extra viewers/listeners/readers therefore extra revenue.

But to make that work I’m pretty sure that on occasion they ensure they hire people who, shall we say, have no trouble going along with anti-Arsenal stuff.

It’s interesting that Arsenal supporters are so much more actively engaged with media than other clubs’ fans. For example, no other club has anything like as many dedicated blogs as Arsenal.

Obviously in N17 that’s probably because a lot of the people who might write a blog have had their computer’s burgled…

Hang on… now I’m confused. Who’s odd, Redders or GLiC?
    Can’t be 26, because he’s even.

107. glic says:

Maybe we both are Rocky…………..The Odd Couple !

108. Rhyle
    Gabrielle Marcotti was slating the newsroom the other night on twitter

An Italian client of mine who is in the travel business always looks after Italian teams and the national team when they come to the Uk or Ireland. She told me that an Italian journalist wanted Italy to lose as it was much easier to write about.

I’d like to buy adrian durham a drink and stick the glass in his face personally.

109. Interesting stuff. The top brass of the Premier League are set to meet this week in order to discuss proposals (apparently put forward by Manchester United, interestingly) for introducing similar ‘break even’ rules to UEFA’s financial fair play regulations. “The Premier League is so big & powerful & there is so much money around that the clubs try and chase it,” said Dave Whelan. “Something has to be done so we’ll support these measures…”

Funny how they want it now that they can’t compete in the transfer market with the chavs and shitty

110. glic says:

gm
    Maybe you could enlighten us,what sort of style, position, entry etc, would you have in mind for Durham if he made an appointment with you ?
    I`m looking forward to this. :lol:

111. Red Arse says:

Glic, Rock Man,

Silly boys, I refer you to my legal eagle @ 6:43, he is quite outspoken in my defence, to quote — “Red Arse odd? Surely not….” so there you have it!! :-)

I forgive you Rockabilly, because I liked your, “Odd? Can’t be 26, because he’s even.”

As for you Glicster — odd couple? — on yer bike – until you make an honest man of me!! :-)

112. glic says:

PS
    7″ Matsuzaki`s could be dangerous in the wrong hands , cant they !.

113. rhyle says:

GM…lot of journos have criticised it as “unrealistic” in the US…and preachy is another point they make.

Red Arse hits the nail on the head…it is idealised. It’s Sorkin’s portrayal of what the media should aspire to be…

Sure at lot the negativity about the show comes from journo’s who long ago (out of financial necessity) sold their souls, writing stories and opinions which weren’t their own to further the agenda of their paymasters…it is what is.

…and each to their own, of course…there’s a lot of things I don’t like…

Tempted to look into how much a Durham personal appearance fee runs to, just for you as well…

114. glic says:

Redders
    I`m waiting for the Stretch o matic to come on and explain his collection of wives.
    I suppose technically he did cheat on the first one, but he has good ethics at heart and morally he did not cheat, as he was caught in bed by Mrs `Scope ( No 1 ) with the next Mrs `Scope ( No2 ) and you`ve guessed it, he was caught by Mrs ` Scope ( No2 ) in bed with the next Mrs `Scope ( No 3 ) !.

115. Red Arse says:

GM,

You have inadvertently referred to the discussion I was hoping to have with 26 regarding the FFP.

The one flaw in the logic regarding the FFP is that these financial restrictions only apply to European competitions, and the penalties for non compliance is basically to refuse offending clubs from entering the competitions.

So if Barca or Madrid or Shitty or United or Chelsea or PSG fail the FFP tests they would all be kicked out of the CL.

Yeah right! Like Platini would kick out the Frenchies or that turkeys would all vote for Xmas. :-)

If they try to introduce FFP into the EPL, of course everyone but Chelsea, Citee, and Manure would vote for it. But, and I would need 26 to confirm the FA/Premier League constitutions, I suspect such a proposal would have to be unanimously adopted — and how likely is that?

Your honorable servant, moi, cynical? Or just a realist? :-)

116. Red Arse says:

Glic,

Or it could be each of the Mrs Stretches ran away to be closeted in Greek monasteries. —————–oh, no ———–what have I suggested????? He will never forgive me – and it’s all your fault!! :-)

117. I really can’t bear durham. It’s not just his anti Arsenal stuff but the way he tries to belittle a lot of the callers. He’s a coward too. The time he called Carragher a bottler and shit himself when Carragher called him and asked if he wanted to sort it out face to face shows what a wanker he is.
    I stopped listening to talkshite ages ago. The tipping point for me was that whiney little manc wanker terry christian.

I also remember when they were debating about the footballer who was put in prison for beating a girl up saying he should never be allowed to play football again when they have stan collymore (another worthless piece of shit) the woman beater working for them.

I did a female newsreaders hair from talkshite once and when he told me where she worked I told her to tell durham he was a wanker. It came out without me even thinking about it.

I used to listen to george galloways show too what a conceited knob.

I’d close it down and execute them all

118. rhyle says:

I have major problems with FFP in the PL / Europe…the teams at the top (including us, to a degree) are so far ahead of the chasing pack in terms of success, marketability and income that introducing FFP restrictions does nothing but maintain the status quo, ensuring only that the chasing pack can never spend their way into competing…

Great for us, not so great for any promoted teams…could imagine if a Swindon, Bradford or Barnsley were to get promoted under FFP? They’d be prevented from spending the money necessary to at least have a solid attempt at staying up. Ridiculous.

Course…as always, I’m happy to proved wrong…

119. Red Arse says:

Rhyle,

There is a lot in what you say as to why the show is causing waves in the US, (and a good thing too) but you have omitted a major factor in that everyone knows it is a thinly veiled attack on Fox TV and other right wing, megalomanic, crazy TV stations with the attendant repulsive reporters they employ.

The show will have its throat cut as soon as ‘big business’ can do so ‘discretely’, especially if Romney becomes the next President.

120. rhyle says:

…another impact of FFP (having thought about for all of 5 mins) is that you could well see a HUGE increase in ticket prices at smaller clubs. Way to go, FA…

121. glic says:

Have to correct you there Redders, Manu are in favour of this EPL FFP, only Chavs and City would probably oppose. I read and heard of this in the Media and aparrantly they would only need ( dont quote me ) something like 16 of the teams to agree !.
    I posted this question last year,…….” why doesn`t the EPL have it`s own FFP “………see Redders, I can be an visionary Cockney Bastard, not just a crude one ! :)

122. rhyle says:

Red Arse – the beautiful thing is it’s on HBO…meaning no advertising, meaning no way can corporate interests push their agenda on it…gotta love that!
    :-D

123. manu would vote for it as they would go back to having the most money again. It would be the end of any meaningful competition from most of the clubs though

124. glic says:

So gm, let me be absolutely sure on this, I take it you dont like TalkSport then !. :lol:

125. He's a complainer says:

Rhyle, there is nothing to stop clubs catching up, they just need to find themselves another Arsene Wenger or Brian Clough.

126. Red Arse says:

GM,

I have a sympathy with some of your views – well up until the execution bit – because I too dislike, Galloway and Terry Christian, but then I do not listen to them.

On the other hand, I do sometimes listen to those naughty schoolboys, Keys and Gray, and often find the subjects they discuss interesting.

Glic is my friend and he has convinced me that I am really a closet fan of Durham after all.

Rhyle, my hoped for discussion with 26 on FFP is now cold porridge (yeuk) as you have postulated my secondary point, that an unforeseen problem (at least unseen by Platini) that the rules would stop teams like Bolton, Leicester or whoever from finding a rich benefactor such as QPR and Southampton have done to try and give them a chance at winning trophies on a level playing field.

More money being injected into football would be anathema to many, but unless another way to restrict obscene oligarch or petro dollar sugar daddies is found (salary cap – throughout Europe, say) the financial imbalance will continue.

127. rhyle says:

RA…sorry. I’ll get me coat.

128. Red Arse says:

Glicster,

I know Unitedddd say they are in favour of FFP – now – because they want Gill to be appointed to the FA/Premier League senior posts.

Of course my other point @ 7:53 explains the other serious reason why they would claim to be in favour.

As the top ‘grossing’ most supported club in world football [I don't think any 'little' club could ever compete with their commercial income] an EPL version of the FFP would simply cement their dominance of the UK transfer market and ‘accidently’ screw up Man City who rely entirely on an Arab state for their money.

Wheels within wheels you see!! :-)

I agree that you are a deep thinking visionary as well as a very funny writer! :-)

129. rhyle says:

A level playing field is achievable with exactly that…although I’d put the salary cap on the squad rather than any player – as they do in the US. They do get that right.

As someone mentioned earlier…the thought of a Squillaci (not that I blame everything on Toto, you understand) earning as much as a truly great player is pretty horrific! With a squad salary cap you can distribute that up and down the pay scale according to quality.

For me, that squad salary cap needs to play to the average turnover of the clubs in the PL, it can then be reviewed on an annual basis and reset accordingly. Should be applied across all football levels, too.

130. Red Arse says:

Rhyle, :-)

I am notoriously boring and stupid, not to mention odd, and as 26 rarely speaks to me, I was only joshing!! :-)

131. I haven’t listened to talkshit for ages so I don’t know what keys and gray are like. I don’t drive any more so I’m not likely to. Even Ian Wright used to wind me up.

132. glic says:

I think an interesting idea for a post would be………..Celebrities we/you have liked, but fell foul of because we/you found out who they supported. There are some which I liked, but now detest , Michael Mcintyre being one. There are some where I am confused, I like listening to some Simply Red, but wish Mick Hucknall was Simply Dead . Only kidding, I want gm to torture him instead, so he Simply Bled !.

133. Red Arse says:

Rhyle,

You don’t even need to look at the American systems, and there are a number of them, (the draft in NFL for example).

Right here in the UK you have Rugby League (despite being a Yank, I support Wigan Warriors) and they have a salary cap based on a salary to income calculation.

The result is that any number of teams over the last 10 years, for example, can come out of the blue and win the Shield (top of the League) or can become champions by the knockout system among the top 4 finishers.

Anyway, I am off for the nite. Laters!! :-)

134. glic says:

PS
    There are a lot of Celebs who I liked and now like even more since I found out they were gooners, Mo`s just the tip of the Iceberg . There seems to be quite a lot of comedians who are gooners, with the Spuds down the road, material must be plentiful !. :)

Great post, LB.
    You should do more. :)

Any mention of laundry always makes me think of the Laundry End at Highbury. For some reason the thought of clouds of steam billowing across the pitch from Gillespie Road evokes a bygone age but one which still resonates within the history of the club.

I’m still buzzing from Sunday, so another reminder of what a fabulous performance it was is more than welcome.
    Alex Song and brave sir robin are simply ex-players to me now, though, admittedly one is far easier to ignore than the other. I love the new squad. They have my full support ( not that any previous squad ever hasn’t).

136. rhyle says:

Glic…make a list and we can all speak about how much we hate ‘em, love ‘em or don’t even know ‘em.

I used to sit by Paul Kaye and Dave Quinnan from the Bill at Highbury. Paul Kaye just watched the game and smoked at half time…Dave Quinnan was a pain in the arse. Considered filing a restraining order as he wouldn’t leave me and my old man alone…think he often got confused as we look alike, only…y’know…my old man looks younger than me…

Worst day of my life was at Wembley, ’88…had seats right by the Wembley stairs…and behind Frank Bruno (don’t think he’s a gooner, though). Brady spent the entire game telling the “How do you beat Frank Bruno? With a spoon.” gag.

137. glic says:

gm
    Keys and Gray are worth a listen as they have quite a few guests on their show inc` ex Arsenal players. Last week they had an ex pro called Terry Curran ( too many of his teams to list ), played in the 70`s and 80`s, he has a book out and listed Charlie George in his all time best eleven, he couldn`t get over how Charlie only managed one England cap. Keys and Gray said they`d try to get Charlie on the show !.

138. glic says:

rhyle
    That could be one long list !. :)
    Plus, there is a long list of authors on here who could do it much better justice than me, sadly, I`m not in their class my friend .

GLiC
    I never get round to saying this, but your comments make me laugh several times a day.

(For the right reasons… :) )

rhyle,
    I presume you’ve seen this, but just in case……

141. Rhyle says:

Never seen it, Chas…and massively appreciate it!

My pleasure.

143. Gooner In Exile says:

Rhyle I must have been about 5 rows from you at Wembley in 88. Fair play to Bruno he sat and signed countless autographs for young Gooners (including me).

144. Rhyle says:

GIE…he was brilliant…Even shared a laugh with my brother after about the 10th time he told the joke…

Should have been one of the greatest days – handing scarves and shaking hands as they went up to collect the Littlewoods Cup…but Caesar and Winterburn conspired to turn it into one of the worst…

I used to see Melvyn Bragg at lots of home games.

He was in the West at Highbury and moved to the West at the Ems.

I always thought he should be in the South (Bank) Stand.

Just got back from the olympics. Very humbling and entertaining. The atmosphere was so family friendly that i kept recallaing yesterdays debate about what we would like to or not to do to, to van pussy and upon recalling some of the comments pissed myself laughing as the mexican wave engulfed me.

Olympics, chinese athlete beats a briton and gets a massive cheer. Pussy debate, “I would like to twist his testiceles int a knot and shove his head up his backside” That sort of thing you know hahaha.

Cornwall, that was a typo. Theres only ever been 2 unfortunate Mrs Terrys. Marriage is all mental, and believe me, i have driven both of them very mental. hahaha

Gee I must be a sports junkie, here it is 8:45 pm and I’m clicking back and forth between the US Open tennis and the 1st game of the NFL season Dallas vs NY Giants. Oh, and I have a glass of Shiraz to keep me lubricated……

Fills in the time during an International week….

And I’m at a bloody film festival in Toronto wishing I had some sports to distract me.

And I am reading AA at sparrow’s fart before going to Uni

Tough lives we lead ….

LB,
    “Clean sheets” ROLF, and as for the “crowing”….crow away, I say.
    Sorry I wasn’t around to join in the gloating yesterday, so thanks for the great read.
    Up to my arse in aligators, so not around much today either probably.

151. oz gunner says:

Morning all,

Get to Uni Big Daddy, you lucky so and so

Just reading the comments above wondering what GN5 was on about “International break” Dallas Cowboys against someone when I thought I better make sure Southhampton was this Saturday.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. What are they doing to us.

Dont they realise some people have serious adictions to feed.

153. evonne says:

LB – look on the bright side, you can watch England v Moldova, or Germany v Faroe Island, while I’ll be watching Poland v Montenegro!

What is the flipping point of those games?? Waste of time. Mind you, I just had an idea, who are dutch playing, this could turn out good :)

I am trying to imagine BR studying at Uni in Denmark in what must be in Danish, pretty impressive; or, he is studying in Denmark in English……..hmmmmm. Guess who is trying to kill some time here?

155. evonne says:

Netherlands v Turkey – could be very, very good. That’s the one I’ll be watching with interest

Evonne

What will you be watching it on?

157. evonne says:

liveonlinefooty, I hope

158. evonne says:

oh no, just checked, only English and Welsh games are scheduled :( off to check polish tv programme

Total – where can I watch Dutch game tomorrow?

159. Gooner In Exile says:

Chas thanks for the u21 video.

I was impressed by Meade, mainly because I thought he was going to be a left back on the occasions I have seen him before, but there he is playing left and right wing an suddenly his height doesn’t worry me anymore.

Interesting that Watt was a left footer too, left footed players always seemed to be few and far between in England but we seem to have raised and bought a fair share of lefties.

Morning all ……

…….. New post ………

161. Hello, after reading this awesome piece of writing i am
    as well happy to share my familiarity here with friends.