Us and Them.

After two games without conceding a corner, we have the opportunity to play a team who are sure to attack and thank goodness for that. Our stats show that either our defence is the best in world (ever) or that our opposition have been too afraid to offer anything other than estacionar el autobús football – I would love to believe the former.

Today will be a test, a big test. Liverpool have spent plenty of money after a very poor couple of years. The massively over-rated management skills of King Kenny have been dispensed with as John W. Henry attempts to rebuild – it is proving to be an expensive overhaul. The signing of Rodgers will, in my opinion, prove to be inspired, he is a fine manager with a commitment to playing entertaining football – the banishing of Andy Carroll says all about the differing philosophies of Dalglish and Rodgers. I wish him luck and for his team to finish higher than last season, say 6th.

In 2011 Liverpool spent £113m. How many of those signed were successful? Well, Carroll is at WHU with L’pool receiving just 20k a week of his wages, Adam at Stoke, Henderson was offered as bait to sign Dempsey, Aquilani bought for almost €20m was sold to Fiorentina for under €2m and €22m Stewart Downing is playing at full-back. All of which gives further evidence to the genius of Mr Wenger in the transfer market. Henderson, Carroll, Aquilani Downing, Suarez, Johnson and Allen all cost more than our record signings. And how many of them would get into our current team? Perhaps Suarez and even he is doubtful, why? Because he is a diving cheat.

Of course Rodgers signings could turn out to be inspirational but looking at the fragility and lack of depth of their defence added to the lack of clinical finishing upfront indicates a lack of balance. We shall see in April. Sahin could prove to be worth the wages AW would not pay. Rodgers also has the mercurial talents of Joe Cole to work with (on 90k a week!!).

Liverpool were unlucky not to beat Man City last week whilst we struggled with Stoke. Outsiders would say we are in for a drubbing, and let’s be honest, Anfield has not been the happiest of hunting grounds for Mr Wenger. (though it was for a certain George Graham :-D ) Another week on the training ground to gel our mis-firing but hugely talented squad will be beneficial. We have few injuries, we have strikers who are certain to score very soon, we have a defensive co-ordination not seen for some years (so far!) and will be playing a team who will attack – I rate our chances.

Theo should start, and both Pod and Giroud. We need goals.

My team:

If fully fit , the mobile Koscielny is a better choice than BFG against a small, pacy attack. The rest pick themselves. I would certainly have Arshavin on the bench and give him 30 minutes. He looked lively as an impact sub.

Howard Webb will need a clear head today. Suarez and Stevie Me are two of the PL’s worst cheats. Can there be more detestable (if quality) players in the PL? Throw in the eye-bulging madmen – Skretl, Carragher and Agger and we can see that this afternoon will be highly contested. Thankfully Lucas is out through injury, he is very good and would complement our midfield (sadly, too expensive for AW).

One interesting fact, in the last 7 games between the clubs there have been 7 goals after 90 mins. Last season BSR won it a beautiful volley.

Following on from kelsey’s Stoke non-revelation ….. Stoke have signed a new central defender.

To those lucky enough to attend today, have a wonderful day and remember the spirit of 26 May 1989

Written by Big Raddy

422 Responses to Us and Them.

Just posted this on yesterday, so I’ll now go and read the Raddy and see if what he reckons.
    LB mentioned the Cologne game (with good reason imo). This was the team:
    Mannone; Yennaris, Mertesacker, Vermaelen, Gibbs; Coquelin, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Cazorla; Podolski, Walcott, Giroud.
    Now, swap Coquelin for Arteta, and I think we could give their keeper net rash :-)

2. VCC says:

Fine post BR. I will remember that day the 26th May 1989 for the rest of my life. I went absolutely ballistic at the final whistle.

My Son was 1 month old, what a year to come into this world. He obviously is as bigger Gooner as I am.

We will be having a pint together at our local wearing our old school shirts this afternoon. COYG

There really isn’t anything like a Match-Day-Raddy. Perfect start to the day. Thank you.
    Team stuff. I reckon AW will go for your line-up (if Kos 100%).
    I would start with Ox over Diaby because he is better, and we won’t need the height advantage that Diaby has.

4. RedandDread says:

Anfield has been one of the away grounds that Arsene has had pretty good success. They haven’t beaten us there since 2007 and we have had a few 2-1 wins up there recently.

5. oz gunner says:

Arsene is great isn’t he!!!

“That is and always will be my goal.
    I want to win the title . Can we do it this year? Of course. We can do it again and I don’t care how long it takes.
    My love for Arsenal has never faded. It will never fade. I will never give up.
    There is no timescale. Football is about emotions, about people loving the game. I am always on the training ground, loving players.
    There are still miles in my legs and love in my heart for this club.
    I don’t know when the time will come when I will wake up and say like England captain Andrew Strauss, that it is time to go.
    I sleep well. I want to work at Arsenal. There’s still fantastic quality here.
    Yes, it is tough watching old players at other clubs. I watched Barcelona and Cesc Fabregas player. I remember that he was once our player.
    But the thought of exciting football ahead drives me on.”

6. oz gunner says:

Top notch as always Big Daddy. I’m excited to see us play again, with the transfer window it’s felt like months between games!

@ PPP

I’ll be watching between fingers next week. North vs the duckers haha

7. oz gunner says:

I really hope Rodgers flops because I do enjoy seeing Liverpool spend in the transfer window. King Kenny was like a fat kid in a candy store!

8. Total says:

Great pre-match Raddy! You have got me all fired up now. :)

I am going to stick with my pre-season prediction that in the big games we’ll start with Koz at RB instead of Jenkinson. Agree with your midfield which picks itself at the moment, and unlike Micky, I believe Diaby is the better second ‘deeper laying’ midfielder next to Arteta. I reckon you have got our attack right as well. With the Ox, Gerv and Arshavin we have quality on the bench to make a difference later on in the game, if required.

Cannot wait for the game.

Message to Peaches:

Just to let you know, I cannot do the Match Report today, but I am sure you have already honoured another AA’er (LB, Oz, GiE, 26, Ginger, Harry, Rocky, JNYC, etc) with a request/order to write today’s match report! :)

COYRRG!

1-0 to the mighty Arse!

9. oz gunner says:

@ LB, GiE, 26, Slim, Harry, Rocky, JNYC

quick TA’s thrown us all under the bus…scatter!

My vote is Evonne. That way we have a ‘chas-like’ report on offer, and the rest of us can relax haha

10. 26may1989 says:

Cheers Raddy. Us to win with a goal scored in the last 15 minutes: Liverpool will have nothing on the bench, we’ll bring on the Ox and that will be that.

Well done Oz for volunteering to write it up…. :)

11. The EXTREMELY busy Oz (certainly too busy to write up a match report). says:

That’s slander 26! haha

12. goonermichael says:

Your pre match posts are one of he joys of life Raddy. I’m really looking forward to this game

13. Total says:

Oz :) hahaha – if Peaches honours you with a request, the excuse of being busy holds no strength. She will tell you what being busy means – she is a professional gardener, you know! :lol:

14. rhyle says:

Good write up, Raddy…as you rightly say, Wenger has been a bit hit ‘n’ miss at Anfield – but the result here seems to set the tone for the season – a win often leads to a good season, a loss a poor one…and a draw? Let’s not even think about that…a third 0-0 on the spin would be too much to contemplate! Has it ever happened in the PL era?

The thing I love about days like today are that I get to watch the game with my kids…although I’m still having to tell them not to sing “he scores when he wants” anymore…and that Ban Hersie is no longer my boy’s favourite player…difficult for a 3yo to understand but he’s coming along with his shouts of SANTI! mainly because he thinks it’s got something to with Christmas.

Hesitate to say anything involving purple & black warriors as it sounds…just wrong…but…

COME ON YOU ARSENAL…

15. Wonderful preview BR
    Can’t wait for the game, hope we have our shooting boots on and don’t lose our shape.
    Maybe Theo should sit this one out, he seems less effective without LaSagna behind him.

16. imma eboue says:

I like all, esp. estacionar el autobús, inspired!

Great PM Raddy, let’s hope we’re in the ‘Pink’ after this one ;)

We will find out in half an hour whether letting Sahin run through our fingers was a good move. He’s not as good as Cazorla but could make a big difference to their team.

From Arsenal.com

…………………………………………………………………………

TEAM NEWS: Oxlade-Chamberlain in at Anfield

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain will make his first Premier League start of the season against Liverpool on Sunday afternoon.

The England international replaces Gervinho in the only change to the Arsenal side that drew 0-0 with Stoke seven days ago.

That means Vito Mannone will continue to deputise for the injured Wojciech Szczesny.

Per Mertesacker and Thomas Vermaelen will continue in central defence, meaning that the returning Laurent Koscielny is only on the bench.

Arsenal in full: Mannone, Jenkinson, Mertesacker, Vermaelen, Gibbs, Arteta, Diaby, Cazorla, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Giroud, Podolski.

Subs: Koscielny, Martinez, Coquelin, Santos, Ramsey

Walcott is not even on the bench – wonder what that means?

21. Well done Raddy, top shelf

Over the last 2 seasons your match reports have become part of my match day ritual and you never disappoint, so thank you and thanks to AA.

Agree with your line up and would like to see both the Ox and AA23 take some part.

The only thing that i might disagree with (havnt decided yet ;-) ) is that of Liverpools approach to the game..I dont expect it to be open all out attack by either team. Sure, the dippers will come out and try stamp some authority in the opening minutes, but after they realise (a few warning shots from Giroo and Poldi) that we will bite back, i expect them to crawl back into their shells.

Remember they are still gelling as a team, as are we and i think they will take a more cautious approach at home, at least for 80min.. But the experience of Wenger will see us take some points home, and a single mistake is all thats in this one for me..

My head says 1-0 to the Arse

My heart says there is an early goal (in which case my cautious approach theory goes out the window) and its 2-1 to the Arse, with Arshavin magic in the 86th :-)

Now….wheres my heineken?

To all you good gooners out there, wherever your watching, enjoy the game

COYRRG

ps. @Oz,
    re. next wk..are you gonna be looking through fingers or EATING your fingers? haha

Oops my error – both Walcott and Gervinho are on the bench.

23. Slimgingergooner says:

Sterling v Jenkinson and Mertersacker,

Could be a problem.

24. Slimgingergooner says:

2 of my greatest memories against Liverpool. Henry’s amazing hat-trick, and Pires curling one in the top corner when it was 1-1 and I think we were down to ten. Quality!

25. totally off topic, should have seen Lewis Hamilton have a crash at the start in F1, taking out 4 cars including championship leader Alonso from Ferrari.. :-)

i dont like Ferrari very much

26. @ Ginger,

Today will produce another great memory, where both Giroo and prince poldi open up their accounts for the good guys ;-)

27. Gooner In Exile says:

Afternoon all, 9 from 11 again for Raddy, although 1 is due to injury so a virtual 10/11 for our pre match king.

Hopefully we can get some wide open spaces, although Mannone in front of the Kop worries me (hopefully Evonne can send him good vibes).

2-1 to the good guys :)

28. Slimgingergooner says:

PPP,

I bloody hope so! Must say I’m feeling a little nervous about today. An early sending off for Suarez and Gerrard would be good, and a Giroud 5 minute hat-trick just to ease the nerves!!!!

29. An early goal will be of great benefit to the game as a whole..Today we will learn alot from our team, it wont define us but will definately see where we are at..

im pumped, and thrilled for the Ox in reaping his rewards of hard work and determination.

30. Has anyone volunteered to write the match report????

31. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

Cheers BR. Pre match of the usual high quality. Seeing the line ups tells me it should be a great game. I’m w little nervous but think we’ll be fine. I fancy both Podo and Giro to score. Two each..’?

32. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

Diaby to have a real stormer today !!!!!

Great – BFG booked for a Suarez dive already.

34. Slimgingergooner says:

That is the worst booking I have ever seen in my life! Pathetic by Suarez and Webb

35. oz gunner says:

Dear dear dear…bloody suarez. Come on refs when are they going to put a stop to this junk!

Mertesacker booked already – I can’t help thinking we should have started with koz to deal with their pace up front.

Will be reading BR’s prematch post match as its an early start here.

38. oz gunner says:

I don’t think Jenkinson has a left foot? I thought there was a reason why he always cut back instead of using his left

Jenkinson is having a mare of a start

Sahin through the back of Oxo – no foul. BFG brushes Suarez – booking. Howard Webb is utterly crap.

Stuart Robson co-commenting here. The constant anti Arsenal agenda is sickening.

42. oz gunner says:

I don’t know why but I feel as though i should dislike Sahin. He was linked with us for that long it feels like he’s played and left us! Must be the ‘bsr effect’

43. dirrty dog, he knew what he was doing! thats south american diplomacy..Suarez is a dick

Mannone has a much better kick than Szcz

45. oz gunner says:

what the hell did giroud do wrong there?

Our crossing needs to improve

Nothing Oz – it’s Webb

Now that WAS a booking (Arteta).

49. Rhyle says:

Need to tidy up a bit here…surprise, surprise…quality of ball in final third is poor. Good performance so far from the Ox, Diaby a few nice touches but looks lost at times when we haven’t got the ball…

50. who ever scores first will win by a bucket.. the errors are creeping in and id hate to chase this type of game..cmon gunners

These give aways will come back to haunt us………….

Christ! That’s about the 4th Gibbs crossed that’s cleared everyone.

Pod……………………….

Brilliant Caz-Pod action!

55. straight after i type my comment at 1.59pm

lol

56. Slimgingergooner says:

Why do we think that we have to hit tall players on their heads! Give it to Girouds feet!

On another note……HE SCORES WHEN HE WANTS, LUKAS PODOLSKI, HE SCORES WHEN HE WANTS!

57. oz gunner says:

well said Slim, anyone would think he was Crouch

58. cosecutive fouls sir?

Suarez is bringing this game into disrepute

59. oz gunner says:

jenkinson is doing great 1 v 1.

great to see

I hope he subs Jenkinson at halftime.

Oz,

Jenkinson is responsible for some of Liverpools best attacks……..

62. Rhyle says:

I loved Suarez in Holland…and even liked him in his early days at Liverpool…but is there a bigger scumbag on the pitch than him at the moment? Especially since Barton ran off to France…

And as I say that he falls over again…BOOK HIM.

63. oz gunner says:

@ G5

haha i honestly think he’s doing really well. They are trying to expose him but he is holding his own i think.

Giroud nooooooo!

64. Rhyle says:

Well that one was on his left foot…oh dear…coming soon for poor old Giroud, though…gonna have a punt on him to score in the second half…

Cazorla has been very quiet.

66. Rhyle says:

Think Jenks is having a decent game…yes, a few terrible…TERRIBLE…passes, but some important tackles and been involved in a lot of good passages going forward too…

67. oz gunner says:

Other than the assist G5

68. Diaby has been immense.. i would love to see him play 38 games

Sterling’s got no future at ‘Pool. After getting fairly tackled by Merts in the penalty box he didn’t roll around and scream for a pen. A non-cheat at Anfield? Hard to countenance.

70. podolski is class..love him

Oz, you’re right – lets hope he atays quiet.

72. If Giroo opens his account today, they will flow in all season..here’s hoping!

73. oz gunner says:

@ Rocky

haha agreed, if that was suarez he’d have rolled into the fence.

@ PPP

It would be great to see, I hope for both he and Arsenal’s sake he can!

75. goonermichael says:
  76. Slimgingergooner says:

It’s German efficiency (spelt right?) so far.

Podolski is like a brand new Merc purring up and down that left wing. His work rate is world class. Mertersacker has been outstanding. Some of his tackles have been so important.

Shame Giroud missed that chance when he could’ve just knocked it off to Gibbs for 2-0, but we do look excellent on the break. Diaby gets a special mention for being absolutely fucking amazing that half! Our middle 3 are playing some lovely triangles. It’s almost a blend of the 1-0 to the Arsenal and Wengerball! Could be the perfect football machine if we can keep this going!

Agree with Rhyle about Jenks. Good game apart from one miscued clearance that went for a corner and one terrible attempt at a cross field pass.

But whoever pointed out his one-footedness is dead right. He really needs to work on his left peg.

Defence has looked good again despite a much tougher test.

Mannone should have claimed that high ball that led to ‘Pool hitting the post.

Suarez is a disgrace to football.

78. Gooner In Exile says:

Ok as I’m doing the match report I’ll leave some of my more in depth stuff for that….wouldn’t want to spoil the surprise :)

Just to say our away fans class …… He Drives How He Wants Andre Santos Drives How He Wants….ROFL.

Good finish by Pod.

Diaby looking good.

Like the maturity at the end after Pod got the free kick turns round “Vito! Vito! ……Long” too bloody right Lucasz.

Jenks and BFG good in tackle passing must improve and can someone tie an elastic band to TV while we are ahead!

GM – haha, brilliant. What a muppet.

80. Slimgingergooner says:

GN5,

If Cazorla being quiet is an assist then Im happy!

He’s been quietly excellent. Has he mislaid a pass?

81. Gooner In Exile says:

“GunnerN5 says:
    September 2, 2012 at 2:19 pm  (Edit)
    Diaby looked just like Vieira dashing through the middle – we need more of that. Lots more.”

Damn you that was in my match report notes….to be fair we won’t be the only ones who noticed.

82. Slimgingergooner says:

Little mention for Giroud on the goal. He saw Pod storming through and stopped his run across the defenders to open space for Pod.

83. Rhyle says:

Podolski tears into Giroud after that miss, by the way…TEARS into him…

84. Gooner In Exile says:

From our young keeper

Pod is turning into a real “leader on the field”.

86. Gooner In Exile says:

Wasn’t that Gibbo Rhyle? Brought up the Arsene way “one more pass”.

Trying too hard? At least he wants to shoot I suppose.

Slim – Go ahead and use it anyway.

88. 26may1989 says:

Good first half, midfield have been esp good. Diaby is having a great game (and yes, I’m one of those who’s written him off in the past).

Crossing and patchy defensive passing are the only negatives do far. On positional play, interceptions and tackling, the defence have been great. Helps to have Podolski supporting the defence as well as he does. Would like to see more from Ox and Caz but when Caz did get a smidgen of space, he set up the goal. Sterling is genuinely dangerous though, he worries me.

89. Slimgingergooner says:

Rhyle,

I think it was Gibbs who tore him a new one!

Lets just hope that this is Diaby’s real breakout season – he exudes total class and style.

91. Rhyle says:

Have no problems with strikers missing ‘cos they’re shooting! It’s a percentage game, get shots on target and goals will be scored…

Not sure if it was Gibbs or Podolski…if it was Gibbs he’s got a cheek…some good runs but hasn’t delivered a decent ball in final third all game…

92. oz gunner says:

@ Rhyle

wasn’t it Gibbs? With Reina charging out he could have knocked it to the left for him but I’m not complaining he had every right to go for it. A bit of selfishness is great to see!

93. Slimgingergooner says:

Sorry GN5,

Didnt realise you had already had that debate with Oz!!!! :)

Slim,

You never heard me complaining about Cazorla – just said that he’s been quite – maybe I should have said effectively quiet.

95. Rhyle says:

Agreed – best performance from Diaby in years…stand by my comment earlier that he hasn’t looked as great without the ball today as he has without…looked lost a few times as Liverpool came forward…

96. Slimgingergooner says:

Love that Cazorla is always looking for shooting opportunities.

97. Rhyle says:

Mert showing his defensive specialty…standing still. He’s AWESOME at it…! :-D

Finally a booking for Liverpool…

98. oz gunner says:

any tackle like that against diaby should be a red! a plague on your house Skrtel

99. Slimgingergooner says:

That’s the phrase I would use GN5!!!
    ;)

100. Rhyle says:

HOW DOES HE GET AWAY WITH IT!!!

101. oz gunner says:

why does he not get a yellow for diving? if it’s not a penalty it should be one!

My biggest worry is then getting a pen. Especially if it’s Stevie Me who dives.

103. Rhyle says:

Not to speak ill of people…

…but Borini was WOEFUL. Even Downing’s going to be an improvement on him…

104. oz gunner says:

Finally a job phil dowd is good at!

105. oz gunner says:

agreed Rocky, Webb can’t make too many correct calls in a row!

106. Rhyle says:

There’s always going to be a 10/15 min period like this at Anfield…gotta stay tight, focused…we’ll get an opportunity on the counter…

107. oz gunner says:

Come on! this is getting ridiculous!

108. Rhyle says:

…and again…

109. oz gunner says:

he dives when he wants!

110. oz gunner says:

well done Arteta!

111. Slimgingergooner says:

Arteta is unbelievable!

112. Rhyle says:

…probably not a free kick there but great work from Arteta…

He and Podolski have been biggest grafters today…awesome. Diaby most effective player going forward. Ox has faded…but width has not been our strength today…

113. oz gunner says:

could be walcott time soon, they are open to the counter.

114. Rhyle says:

Mannone…poor.

115. is sterling English? if so England are gonna win a international cup in the coming years with the ox, wilshere, rodwell,..no doubt

116. oz gunner says:

yes yes YES!!!!!!

117. Rhyle says:

SANTI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pod-Caz!!!!!!

119. oz gunner says:

what a 1-2

Reina you star haha

120. Rhyle says:

CAZOLSKI

121. Rhyle says:

PODORLA

122. oz gunner says:

@ PPP

i’m pretty sure he can choose either England or Jamaica. He said he isn’t fussy and will play for whoever calls

123. Rhyle says:

Do NOT take off ANY of the MF 3…immense today.

Saint Caz – quietly scores a goal…………………….

Giro has worked his socks off

126. oz gunner says:

haha G5

quietly spectacular performance

127. oz, he will play for England, they lack wingers..Johnson, downing, lennon, theo all tried and no real magic..sterling and ox have really impressed me today even though Diaby stands out

We have to keep them off of the scoreboard – my poor old heart could not stand the effects of a 2-1 scoreline

129. Rhyle says:

Perfect sub…442, with a deeper lying midfield but still pace to break on the counter…

Can’t say I like the new RVP song…we moaned when oppo fans were doing it to him and moan about Man Utd fans chants at Wenger…we should have that thing that we normally have…you know…

CLASS.

130. Rhyle says:

How about this one for RVP…

He’s got a sore arse…he’s got a sore aaaaaarse…Fergies rent boy…he’s got a sore arse….

Rhyle
    I was thinking the same thing about the RVP Song.
    We’re better than that.

132. Rhyle says:

and that’s what I mean when I talk about “class”…lol…

133. 26may1989 says:

Sterling is English and jamaican

134. oz gunner says:

whats the new song rhyle?

Saint – Santi

136. Rhyle says:

“she said no, Robin, she said no…”

137. he subs when he wants….arsene wenger… hahaha

138. oz gunner says:

@ PPP

he does look good but he’s been absent this second half. I’d take Walcott any day of the week

139. 26may1989 says:

Gibbs has done well today, looks much more reliable than a couple of years ago.

140. oz gunner says:

happens to mannone…play on. happens to reina twice…foul

@ rhyle

cheers, and agree then.

141. Rhyle says:

Podolski…my MOTM. Scored one, made one, worked tirelessly up and down the pitch. MAGIC.

Oz…my thoughts exactly re: “foul” on Reina…

Gn5
    You were right the first time :)

143. Rhyle says:

Hope no one gets on Giroud’s case…worked hard as Rocky said, lacks a finish at the moment (to say the lest!) but I’m positive it’ll happen for him…

Brilliant from Mannone and. TV

Great work by our Captain……

146. Rhyle, it will still happen..just not as bad if the score stays the same

TV’s limping.

148. who the hell is Barcelona? hahaha

149. oz gunner says:

what a luxury to have bringing a defender like kozzer on

150. Rhyle says:

GN5…couple of weeks for him to get over it, thankfully…

Triple P…my “happen” is that he’ll score…not get grief. We’ve given players 10+ games in the past without getting on their case…hope we pay Giroud the same courtesy…!

Ramsey looks far more confident this term.

152. Rhyle says:

Who’s getting sacked first…AVB or Rogers?? Be interesting to see if Liverpool get booed at the whistle…

Mannone’s had a good game but he’s uncertain when dealing with up-and-unders in the box.

154. agree Rhyle, at least the bulshit curse of no.9 is gone..

Thanks Poldi ;-)

155. oz gunner says:

@ rhyle

i hope so too, unfortunately though as RVP’s replacement he will get a hard time no doubt. from both media and some impatient supporters

156. Rhyle says:

…and, yes, a few boos ring out…

157. oz gunner says:

3 games and 3 clean sheets!!! from 49 to 0! bould you star!

Stuart Robson has just said for about the 20th time that Liverpool have outplayed Arsenal.

That guy has got a real problem.

159. Stevie G is way past it..he alone will sink Liverpool..

Sexy Arsenal is back and im loving it..

It’s a great day today……………………….

161. Slimgingergooner says:

Perfect!

Defensively compact, worked our arses off in midfield and kept the ball very well, and lethal on the break.

That’s the best defensive performance for 3 years! Alert, compact and assured.

Dont want to go overboard as Liverpool aren’t great, but very, very pleased.

Spudders – Mind the Gap

163. id be suprised if you found an A-corn between his ears Rocky..

We should make a song for him so he can hear it when he next commentates a game..haha

The Arsenal crisis just gets worse and worse.

165. oz gunner says:

Liverpool are going to really struggle with Suarez alone! Then have nothing in the final third

Fantastic result, what a difference it makes to have a team where every player is pulling their weight. No passengers, no surrender.

I noticed when we scored the first goal, Arsene jumped up but Steve Bould stayed calmly sitting down knowing that we needed to keep on our game – Bouldie could well be the most important signing of the summer ….. but oh, I’m in love with Cazorla :oops:

The only clean defensive sheet in the EPL belongs to –
    ARSENAL.

168. Rhyle says:

3 Arsenal players in my fantasy football team. TV5 and Cazolski. Magic week..!

169. Slimgingergooner says:

Or technical ability in the middle of the pitch was sublime. Arteta, Cazorla and espescially Diaby were outstanding. They kept and moved the ball brilliantly, but not only that, they worked tirelessly. Superb midfield performance.

Hi Rocky, I noticed you said that you were surprised we’d used your Almunia post yesterday. We thought that it would be a fitting antidote to the spoilt fans who were complaining about our lack of transfer activity on Friday – hope you’re OK with that.

171. oz gunner says:

hands off Rasp…he’s mine!

172. Gooner In Exile says:

That was the most impressive display from an Arsenal side I have seen for many a year. Solid at the back and picked them off when we could, great movement all round. The midfield three were immense.

Cheers Rasp
    I’m completely happy for you to run my posts whenever you want – I was just expecting a debate about the outcome of the transfer window.

But with hindsight – and with so much depressive navel-gazing around the Internet – it was an inspired idea.

174. Rhyle says:

Best I’ve seen us play for a long time…better than Man City last season, better than Spurs last season….

A VERY good performance.

175. just watched podolski’s post match..

I love the bloke and im not ashamed to say it..

BEAST

176. oz gunner says:

was podolski wearing his jacket back to front?

Andy Townsend just likened Diaby to Yaya :)

Thanks Rocky – the inspiration was all yours, ours was the easy part :)

179. Adrian says:

I managed to tune in to the last 15 mins of the game but I heard the commentator mentioned how Liverpool outplayed us at least twice. Did they really outplay us? Cause from what I’ve seen during the last 20 mins Liverpool by no means outplayed us, their passing wasn’t good and we humiliated them with the oles towards the end :)

180. Rhyle says:

As I said earlier…a game that often indicates which way our season goes and…in the tradition of Groundhog Day…Punxatawny Phil poked his head out. There will be no winter!

COME ON YOU ARSENAL!

BTW, am I the only one who thought that Suarez deliberately stamped on TV’s leg in the first half. He looked away but not in the direction of the ball as he did it to make it look like he hadn’t seen TV’s leg, he is the most despicable player in the prem.

182. Rhyle says:

Credit to away fans as well…couldn’t hear the Kop…except the few boos at the end…

Finally I can say… excellent pre-match BR :D

184. barumgooner says:

Fantastic performance. Pat Rice you are and Arsenal legend and will always be loved but thankyou for retiring. To a man we were excellent. Pod and dare I say it Diaby!! pick of the bunch.

185. oz gunner says:

didn’t see that rasp, he is a disgrace so it wouldn’t surprise me. I love how he whinges when he fouls someone and they stay down though…he would never!

186. 26may1989 says:

I loved Stewart Robson the player, but how can anyone honestly say Pool outplayed us?? They had some moments but the score line was fair. Robson really does have some issues, not sure what they are.

I wonder what the hysterical naysayers think today.

Sorry to say but Southampton are going to be mullered now…

187. 26may1989 says:

Rasp, Suarez is a scumbag but treading on TV looked accidental, it was just a tangle of legs.

188. Rasp, i noticed the one on gibbs in the middle circle in the first half, full intent, he knows what hes doing..the south american leagues are full of those dirty tricks

Pool outplayed us? What a moron.

190. Adrian says:

Did Diaby really have a peach of a game as mentioned? If so, can anyone tell me how did Sahin feature against our great midfield trio today? :)

191. I want to say “Nuri WHO?”, but i believe he will be very important in Liverpools relegation battle and fight for survival ;-)

I didn’t see it that way 26m. When you know a player is beneath you, you don’t put all your body weight on a leg that could stamp on an opponent. A decent player would have just rolled forward. I’ve watched Suarez enough to know that he does deliberately leave a leg/foot in on occasion.

193. Rob Lucci says:

This new Arsenal side have one thing that have been missing from the ‘Fabregas-BSR’ Arsenal.

It is ‘Responsibility’.

195. Adrian says:

Even liverpool fans are saying that Arsenal were the better team the whole match without a doubt and were not outplayed by Liverpool. What is with the commentators and their dislike for Arsenal? It was an honest win.

196. goonermichael says:

Giroud will be a monster once he gets going. He’s so good at the high balls. We totally outclassed them. Invincibles 2 still on :)

197. oz gunner says:

@ Adrian

He sure bloody well did! I don’t want to jinx it but he was immense today!

198. 26may1989 says:

Sahin was on the pitch?

Allen and Sterling had good games for them, Gerrard was terrible, Suarez mediocre, the CBs OK, Enrique and Reina poor, Johnson not good. Says something that Stewart Downing and Jonjo Shelvey improved them when they came on.

@Rasp, fair dos, we saw it differently. I do really despise Suarez though.

@Adrian, Diaby really was absolute quality today – plenty of our guys did well individually, and collectively they were really good, but Diaby was superb. It’s a cliche, but keep him fit and he could have an immense impact on our season.

199. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

Wot a fantastic 90mins of football. I expected Diaby to play well, but he absolutely dominated the midfield today with both finesse and power. What a player

200. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

Podo had a swapped Pool shirt on??

201. oz gunner says:

that makes sense then sharkespeare. I just thought it was a dare or something

202. Rob Lucci says:

From Irishtime :

“You’re getting sacked in the morning,” taunted the visiting supporters to Rodgers before the final whistle.

-love it

203. ces1ne says:

Diaby MOTM….that being said, must give credit to our most consistant performer of the past few seasons. Not Arteta, not the medical team(hehe), but the AWAY SUPPORTERS!!!! Outsinging Scousers at Anfeild is no easy task, but heard you guys all match. Bravo!!!! Forward AFC!!!!

204. Rob Lucci says:

We will win something this year if Diaby can stay fit for the whole season.

AVB or Rodgers to be first for the sack?

206. AVB, Gallas rules the roost..lol

Yes completely agree, Diaby is finally showing the potential we had all hoped. He got the ball out of tight situations several times today and dare I say it, was more influential in the midfield than Song last year.

208. rhyle says:

Allen? Thought the centre of their midfield was anonymous until Shelvey came on…very poor. Any impact Gerrard had came from moving out to the left and taking up the space by Sterling’s movement. Though none were as bad as Borini on the right. Does not look like a good player at all…

Suarez, outside of the usual bullshit that comes along with him, was difficult to deal with as always and, as mentioned, thought Sterling did well but rarely actually added any significant threat.

Thought Liverpool were very poor today.

209. Rob Lucci says:

I don’t know if anyone noticed this but our offside line was surprisingly deep this season.

210. 26may1989 says:

What was I saying, Soton 1 United 0!!!!!!

211. cmon SOTON..0-1 against that shit

212. goonermichael says:

have that you dutch tosser

Saints 1 nil up :lol:

214. 26may1989 says:

You’re right Rob, and it was interesting to see that we’ve reverted to zonal marking when defending corners. With a team better drilled on defensive work, it was effective.

Hi Rob, I’m very happy our offside line is deeper, it was suicidally high last year. No matter how quick our defenders are, it leaves you vulnerable to the ball over the top.

216. and playing well…..now, GO FOR HIS ANKLES!!!!

217. Red Arse says:

Great pre=Match, Big Randy Daddy, :-)

Ecstatic!! :-)

The defence was superb. You can actually see the defensive pattern as they move forward, back or across the pitch. Bouldy could be the best signing of the season!!!!!! :-)

Superb team performance – yes, TEAM performance. Ran the ‘Pool ragged, except when we defended too deep part way thru the 2nd half.

So many great displays, but having banged the drum for Abou since I first saw him in an U 20 game for France, and throughout his injury crisis, I am thrilled that he was way out there as the best player on the pitch, just ahead of that beautifully skilled player, Cazza.

Rasper was right. That b*stard Suarez deliberately put his weight on the stamp on TV. Sly, cheating sods like him don’t waste opportunities to hurt the oppo. I don’t often detest people – buy he is an exception!

218. hendongooner says:

Phil McNulty, BBC Sport chief football writer at Anfield
    “Arsenal fans going through the full range of taunts directed at Liverpool: ‘You’re The Spurs Of Merseyside.'” got to love this.lol

ps Is Pepe Rienna a gooner by any chance.Every season his hands us similiar goals.

219. goonermichael says:

dirty wanker. please break his leg

Thanks for the kind words.

We were both very good and very focussed. That was Diaby’s best game for us and we totally dominated midfield.

My MoTM . our Captain. TV5 was always in the right place and led his team superby.

Very happy.

You have all said it already. A great team effort though Jenkinson always looks like he is going to sh*t himself.

Just look at the team and how many were at Arsenal two years ago and fully fit.

I salute you Diaby, again you have come back from the walking wounded.

222. Norfolk Gooner says:

Suarez’s dives were getting more and more desperate as the game wore on, is there no totting up procedure whereby he can be banned for the same number of games as the number of dives.

He’s a terrifically skilled player but is an utter disgrace as a sportsman.

223. Gooner In Exile says:

Rasp I wondered whether that step by Suarez was a stamp, quick to apologise as he was after knowingly putting his hip into Ox.

StevieMes tackle on TV5 whilst fair was definitely a “I’m having a shit game but this’ll let the fans know I care” type.

224. 26may1989 says:

With Mertesacker on the pitch, could we afford to play a high defensive line?

225. dandan says:

Kelsey you should listen to your mates when they tell you he is the MAN we needed :-)

GiE
    That Gerrard dive in on TV was only “fair” because he just nicked the ball.

But it was two-footed with an element of “scissors” and a big follow through into the player after getting the ball.

Could so easily have been an ankle breaker and should have at least been a yellow.

Rasp. Can you put up the season comparison in the side bar?

Hi Raddy, I was afraid someone was going to ask me that. I will, but it is a complicated process and I don’t always have the time these days :(

229. Adrian says:

What did you guys make of the fact that Walcott didn’t even come on as a sub today? A message to Walcott to sign a contract ASAP or the likes of the ox/gervinho will get more playing time than him or simply just a defensive measure in the later stages of the game?

Suarez is the type of player you love to hate, the sort of player you only want to see on your team not tplaying against you.

Character wise he reminds me of Craig Bellamy.

Rasp,

I will send you a spreadsheet that shows the comparison to last season. The whole spreadsheet may be too large to use but you may be able to cut and splice the applicable data.

232. 26may1989 says:

In the meantime….

2011-12 P3 W0 D1 L2 F2 A10 Pts 1
    2012-13 P3 W1 D2 L0 F2 A0 Pts 5

233. 26may1989 says:

Ha ha ha ha, get in Southampton!

234. goonermichael says:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Rasp,

Spreadsheet sent to Arsenalnuts.

236. Red Arse says:

Hi 26,

I mentioned that for part of the 2nd half we defended too deep.

That increases the chances of deflections, fluky shots etc being scored.

Just an observation.

That is very different to saying we should play a high defensive line.

Thanks GN5, I have to produce it in a format that I can import into Photoshop, then copy into photobucket and lastly import into the widget – it is those tasks that take the time, I have the template already, although I know your stats are the best :)

come on you Saints. Good game so far.

Hahaha

Commentary in ManU game: “It’s time to bring on one of the big guns… Paul Scholes.”

No doubt grandad Scholes is a fine player but that he is still one of the “big guns” at ManUre is an indictment of their squad.

Saints are out-footballing ManUre. Hope they can keep it up.

Rocky,

You shouldn’t forget that United still have their obligatory penalty to come!

Rocky – I had no sooner wrote the post when???

243. 26may1989 says:

Brilliant timing GN5!!

BSR misses a pen!

Haha

245. 26may1989 says:

Ha ha ha ha, this is a brilliant game!

RVP blew it……………….

247. Gooner In Exile says:

Expect RvP to have a stud shaped cut on his eyebrow after post match

Brilliant call Gn5

I thought RvP had dived but it was a bang-on pen.

249. rhyle says:

Sore arse = missed pens.

KARMA.

250. 26may1989 says:

The most interesting thing about this game is how poorly United have defended.

26M their mid field is quite pathetic. Fancy relying on a couple of geriatrics.

252. 26may1989 says:

They need……..

Santi Cazorla!!!

253. Rob Lucci says:

HAHA Robin van Pussy misses a penalty trying to be Pirlo.

254. 26may1989 says:

Oh well, fun while it lasted.

It’s not that RvP’s absence is necessarily going to hinder us. It’s more that his presence, if he stays fit, may well keep ManUre in the title race.

256. 26may1989 says:

Yup, agreed Rocky.

257. A No Nuffing Plonker says:

Well, OK.

I admit it I am a totol plank

I said Wenger dont no nuffink like. I said wenger out out out. I said ee shuld spend £60 million squid.

Well I wuz rite rite rite, Except I am a plonky plank an I no nuffink
    And I speaks for all the other plonky planks who hate Venger and no nuffink.

we are no nuffink plonkers

258. 26may1989 says:

Oh for fuck’s sake…………

Sorry peaches’ mum.

259. 26may1989 says:

Fair play though, good header.

260. Adrian says:

Holy shit, rvp with a hat trick.
    Pfft.

That’s what’s galling.

If we had taken less money and sold him to Juve, ManUre would be in real trouble this season.

262. Adrian says:

But he only wanted to go to Man Utd and that’s why deals with other clubs fell through, right..?

His class is undeniable…………

Godawful Robin song that those northern muppets have got.

Adrian
    Dunno.
    All players try to ingratiate themselves wit their new supporters by saying that they were their first choice (like Sahin at Liverpool).

266. Adrian says:

This just makes the fact that RVP left us even painful. :(

Just seen the score
    YESSSSSSSSSSSS MASSSSSSSSIVE
    God that is sooo brilliant. I’m quite happy :-) :-) :-)
    Now to read through comments.

268. goonermichael says:

I really hate that bastard.Bitter? absolutely.

269. goonermichael says:

GN5
    Off the pitch he has no class. dirty rapist

270. goonermichael says:

They look a one man team though

271. 26may1989 says:

Spot on GM, I’m looking forward to playing them. Southampton look a bit trickier though….. ;)

BSR will get crocked before long.

273. Slimgingergooner says:

He can piss off, he ain’t ruining my day!

We were brilliant today without him and we have new heroes. COYG!

274. Gooner In Exile says:

Rocky I’d love to agree with the notion of selling RvP to Juve…downside is we would still have NikB ;)

275. Gooner In Exile says:

Im with Slim….1 point behind them, 2 behind City, unbeaten, zero conceded and with two bastard away fixtures down.

As GM says, a one man team, but S’hampton threw it away by defending deeper and deeper and taking off their offensive players.

They will go down.

277. Gooner In Exile says:

Lol GM wonder if press will label United that?

278. kgooner says:

great game especially for uniting fans behind the team.
    I expect our game against southampton to be brilliant football.
    Someone should stamp BSR’s left foot!

279. jnyc says:

Diaby was impressive. Arteta almost perfect as always, he just doea almost everything right- the absolute perfect team player. Podolski helping on defense so much.
    — i thought giroud looked tired towards the end. I think Araene left him on hoping he would get his first goal to alleviate some pressure. He had a good opportunity one on one with a defender, should have attempted to score with his right. I think he needs to work on getting a little better with his right. He will need it.
    and since mid last season i have liked ramsey as an energy sub.

280. Shard says:

A near perfect day football-wise. Arsenal won with 2 of our new signings tradings goals and assists. A sign that we are starting to gel as a team. If only BSR has stuck to the script and not scored at the end. Oh well, at least we can look forward to hearing from all the ‘experts’ how ManU are a one man team..right?? Right?? pppfftt..

And though most of you won’t care about this, but India beat Cameroon (B team to be fair) on penalties to win their own invitational tournament.

All in all, a good day. Would have been better, but meh… Arsenal won. That’s all that matters in the end.

281. Gooner In Exile says:

Enjoy it Micky (if you have it on record that is?)

282. goonermichael says:

If he stayed with us I’d back us for the title. as it is he is the mancs only chance of the title. Hope he get’s done in the interlull. Problem is rednose will keep pulling him out of internationals with fake injuries

Slim. Well said. Not many will win at Anfield this season. We outfought them on their own pitch.

This team are not going to be bullied. Our new boys are tough and are settling in well to the physical English game. I really like Giroud, he is so willing. As to Pod – the man is a tank. And Cazorla is just wonderful.

AW has done some great business this summer.

284. Gooner In Exile says:

This was a text received from my Dipper supporting brother in law at 1:30pm

“Should be a relatively easy 3 points for us today”

I didn’t reply until final whistle as I hate playing text tennis with an opposing fan during a match. This was my reply:

“Have you started supporting Arsenal? Nice one”

Loved Diaby’s work today.

Bloody great.
    What I really like from the comments is I cannot work out who the MotM was. Arteta, Pod, Diaby, Verm, Stevie B :-) That’s a great sign.
    Iplayer match replay is not until tomorrow. Correct?
    Reckon its motd.

287. Gooner In Exile says:

BR I agree on Giroud seems to have the support of the away boys already, I put that down to two things:

1) it’s a good song….na na na na na na naaaaa na na na naaaaa Gi—roud

2) he puts in effort

Micky Don’t watch MOTD. All they will talk about is bsr and how poor L’pool were.

No-one commented upon my Stoke revelation. I thought it was amusing which probably sums up my SOH

BTW I bought a pair of purple socks for our away games. They are clearly the reason behind our victory

290. goonermichael says:

photo/1

I did really bloody love the tall bloke Raddy.
    Everyone else on here is just plain rude.

Superb pre-match, BR.
    The new Stoke centre-back had me chuckling in the car on the way up.
    You called the score right, too, with a fine 2-0 away win recalling “the spirit of 26 May 1989″.

I’d never been to Anfield before. I loved every second of my first visit. :)

I mentioned the Robin song after the Stoke game. Can’t join in with the first verse, but the 2nd is ok. “You’re a (front bottom) Robin, you’re a (front bottom)…….. Oh, Robin, you’re a (front bottom)”

Not sure if I mentioned the Santo song last week. Cazorla, wo-oh, Cazorla, wo-oh, he came from Malaga, to play with Arteta.

Pearls to swine Micky :-)

GiE,
    No recording :-(
    Sounds like Diaby was very good. God I hope his injury problems are behind him.

chas. You make us all proud. Must have been a n even better drive home

You went Chas. Superb.
    Love that Vieira/Santo song

Chas,
    Who was your Man of the Match?

298. Rob Lucci says:

in his time at Arsenal, BSR usually started the season well, scoring for fun for 6 to 8 games, and then he get injured for the whole season.

I’m predicting a Deja Vu..

299. goonermichael says:

can’t that mug redknapp stop saying “cazola”?

Nice post and nice try Raddy at the end :)

By the way where is Arshavin.

301. I must have got over him already …. I didn’t see the first goal but I did see him miss the penalty and then saw him score the second and head in the third for a hat-trick……….nope didn’t feel a thing ……he can score when he wants for all I care ……..

I’m not sure about Man of the Match. We seemed to notice Gibbs doing a lot of good stuff, but Jenks, the BFG, Tommy, Mikel, Santi, Abou, Podolski, Giroud, the Ox and Vito all stood out for me. :)

I don’t think we could get a wholly accurate view of the game from where we were sat. Though Theo was very narrow again. :)

I didn’t even know Sahin was playing until he was substituted and we couldn’t make out who their new right winger was at all.

kelsey
    he was hiding behind a water bottle

304. Gooner In Exile says:

Chas well played sir….top song for me was Santos’s new song….He Drives How He Likes. :D

peaches, did you see the Wenger quote?
    Wenger said ‘It felt a bit strange. I was thinking, “He has the wrong shirt on. Why does he jump around like that in that shirt?”

Just imagine having to share a changing room with Evra. Yuck.

GIE,
    Santos’ face when he was warming up and that was sung was a picture.

I loved the Podolski song immediately. Cathartic, in a way.

308. Gooner In Exile says:

ROFL

309. Gooner In Exile says:

ROFLMAO

ROLF, ROLF and more ROLFING

311. Gooner In Exile says:

Rasp says:
    September 2, 2012 at 12:55 pm  (Edit)

What was the answer?

312. glic says:

Great PM, great result, take Beef Van Curtains out of the equation and a great day.

Micky, The Bin Dipper chanel 429 ( it`s free ) usually shows the whole match @ midnight, incase if you want to record or watch on a bigger screen than your computer .

PS
    The commentary comes with subtitles, but hey , for all I know , you might be fluent in Scouse !.

314. Gooner In Exile says:

Chas :)

315. Slimgingergooner says:

I can quickly see Cazorla becoming one of my all time Arsenal favourites! He’s one of those that always looks like he’s got 10 minutes on the ball yet never breaks a sweat. Also, Arteta was a beast in the deeper role today. Just shows what discipline can do, something Song never had. Giroo will definately score goals for us. You can see how badly he wants that 1st one. I just hope it comes sooner rather than later for his and our sakes.

316. Gooner In Exile says:

New Number One?

317. Gooner In Exile says:

Just for the record I think the only time we will regret not signing Sahin is if Diaby, Wilshere and Arteta are injured together.

318. Gooner In Exile says:

Wow:

Slim,
    Caztetiaby just oozed class today.

GliC,
    “The Bin Dipper chanel 429″ Eh? Que?

321. Gooner In Exile says:

Have a look at pics from today…..team.

GIE,
    What about Coquelin, Cazorla and Oxlade-Chamberlain? :)

323. glic says:

Micky
    Liverpool TV, go to channel 429 and record at midnight or watch !.
    Take it you`ve got a Sky dish ?.

GiE @ 7:10, this was my answer @ 3:50….

….. It’s true, Sahin didn’t stand out in any way whereas Cazorla was different class, oh what would life had been like if we’d had him from the start of last season?

Just been informed by The Memsahib that our telly does not stretch to 429. No dippers in the house then.

326. glic says:

Rasp
    He`d probably been sold on Friday !. :lol:

goonermichael says:

September 2, 2012 at 5:59 pm

GN5
    Off the pitch he has no class. dirty rapist

…………………………………………………………………

Come on GM that’s really over the top. He did what he does best and did it with class.
    As much as I dislike seeing him in a Man U shirt I can’t get bitter over a man furthering his financial future and feel that he should not be condemned over one poorly thought out text..

Great pics, GIE.
    I found them easier to look at from the stream.

Haha glic, you jest :P , but I did have a very dark thought – what if Diaby has the season of his life and does the offski next summer?

330. glic says:

Micky
    Time to change that 16 valve black and white redifusion TV for a plasma then !. F**k me , sounds like Cornwall is more advanced than Mid/North Devon !. :lol:

331. glic says:

What ? ……Abou Diaby off to Abu Dhabi !. :lol:

Rasp,
    Does your season comparison widget generate the picture from the data?
    I was just wondering if you could take a photo of it and upload that? Then again I suppose if it was that easy you would have done it already. :)

333. Slimgingergooner says:

GiE,

Just a note on that success rate stat you posted up, I was worried that Jenks might struggle with Sterling’s pace pre match, but what he did brilliantly was that he never allowed him to turn and run at him. Every time he got the ball, Jenks was straight over and up his arse (as my manager used to put it!). His tackling was excellent today aswell.

I haven’t seen a back 4 for Arsenal look as organised and as disciplined in years. When was the last time you heard a Sky commentator call our defence a barrier? Cos it happened today! I watched the 4-4 the other day and it was like 2 different worlds!

Good quality on full screen

Hi chas @ 7:51, I’ve just put the widget up.

No it’s not as sophisticated as that. I have created a template of the chart in Excel, I just put in the points scored then copy the chart and paste it onto a blank canvas in Photoshop, then manipulate the image and create a JPEG which I import into Photobucket which then gives me a direct link that I can then cut and paste into the widget in WordPress…… all very fiddly :roll:

336. Gooner In Exile says:

Missed that Rasp….loving Cazorla. Liverpool look like a side put together late and with not enough time with a coach, scary that they can’t be asked to play a simple game of pass and move. One of the things I liked about us today was the movement around the man with the ball, support coming from deep and late, making them harder to pick up and the man on the ball in total control.

Also buy a Mac you wouldn’t need photoshop…… Excel (set print area) > print to PDF > open in preview > crop to size > export to jpeg (all using in built apps).

337. Gooner In Exile says:

SGG very true, we were waiting for them on the half turn so it was easier to nick the ball of their toes as they turned. Very few times did anyone go to ground to tackle it was smart defending staying on feet.

338. Slimgingergooner says:

GiE,

Bould has obviously had a lot to do with defensive shape and how compact we are. Do you think it could have gone as deep as how to tackle? I’m sure these lads know a lot of this already being professional footballers, but the art of defending can be forgotten in the attacking obsessed game we see these days. Dusting off the 1-0 to the Arsenal chant could be a very good thing for us.

Thanks GiE, if only I could afford a Mac :(

I agree pool look as clueless as totnum in midfield and as toothless up front. It’s such a shame to see these big clubs struggling :roll:

Two of our 3 new signings have scored and it’s only a question of time for Giroud. I’m more than happy with his contribution to games, It can be a lonely and thankless task playing up front in a 4:5:1 (4:3:3) but he performs a vital role and shouldn’t be so down on himself. The home fans should make an extra effort to lift him when we face the saints

Bang on Rasp

He worked like a Trojan today.

And thankless task sums it up perfectly.

Damn that man put in a shift.

Chas,
    You’re such a tease. No way am I watching three minutes now. I’ve even ruled out MOTD, and will wait until tomorrow and watch the full monty on iplayer.
    Bloody hell, I miss very few games, and they’re never the 0-0’ers :-(
    Missing 2-0 away at Pool hurts badly.
    Right, some work to do.
    You will enjoy your evenings all :-)

342. Slimgingergooner says:

Rasp,

Totally agree. It’s a lonely place up there when your feeding off high balls and scraps. I really like his idea of quick link up play and his awareness of those around him. He doesn’t try to hold onto the ball when he’s got support, but is just as good at holding onto it if needs be. He was unlucky towards the end when 1 on 1 with Enrique who is one of the strongest defenders in the league. Had that been Johnson or someone else he could’ve brushed them off and been through. He was tired by that stage too. It’s only a matter of time before bags himself a goal and then they will flow.

343. VCC says:

Diaby, awesome, simply awesome. Just like a new signing.

344. Total says:

Hi VCC, how are you doing? Has the work situation been resolved / come to an acceptable conclusion for you?

345. Total says:

Just the game and result we needed, and wonderful to see Wenger happy and relaxed after everything he had to go through recently. The way he speaks about Cazorla in the BBC interview is just pure bliss.

A fantastic team performance and well done to Jenkinson for holding his own. Seeing Diaby play like that brings tears to my eyes.

Fingers crossed nobody gets injured during the ever so annoying international break.

346. Slimgingergooner says:

Isn’t football brilliant!

We draw the first 2 games whilst firing blanks and I want to tell everyone to keep calm and it will come. Then we beat Liverpool 2-0 and I want to tell everyone we are going to win every trophy available!!!!! :)

3 great defensive performances, 1 good attacking performance, and 5 points. A solid start to what’s going to be an exciting season.

347. VCC says:

Hi Total. So nice of you to ask and care. Things have been hectic at my end as you can imagine these past couple of weeks but I think I/we will manage to keep our heads above water without me working again.

Today’s game helps immensely. I thought Diaby was fantastic. He can be the answer to our problems with a midfielder.

348. Total says:

Good to hear that VCC and I think the boys gave us all a lift today. :)

Re Diaby, yes he was simply fantastic. I am more and more convinced that we are not going to play with a classic DM-type this season but with two deeper laying midfielders who are just as comfortable with supporting the defence as the attack. Diaby & Arteta are a super couple, but I am also convinced that the likes of Rosicky, Ramsey, Coquelin, and of course JW will do well in one of those positions.

Exciting times ahead.

Thats great VCC. If it is retirement enjoy it, but in life you never know, something can crop up unexpectedly. What ever it is, good luck to you.

Excellent performance today. We our good enough to win this title folks, we aint seen nothing yet. We are just going to get better and better. I expect the level to go up a notch around January time when our new signings our fully settled and some younger players have gained a bit more experience. We have to much quality to worry about the likes of Liverpool and Totnumb. Our rivals are Utd and the suger daddys and a rude awakening awaits them all.

350. neamman says:

Great game, we looked strong all over..and as someone said a few days back..we must have one of the strongest squads depth wise.

351. VCC says:

Indeed guys, exciting times could well lie ahead. That was a pretty comprehensive job done on the dippers. They are not the force they once was but still none the less not many sides will come away with a 2-0 win at Anfield.

I was surprised how comfortable I was during the whole game, I never thought for one minute we would loose that match, that’s something I haven’t felt for some time now.

Looks like my 12-1 bet has half a chance.

So impressed with the togetherness our guys showed today, they seemed completely comfortable with each other, did any else get that vibe?

Exactly VCC. The reality is that during our barren spell we have consistently finished above the likes of Liverpool and Totnumb. We are a superior club and would have matched Utd if it were not for the move to the Grove.

We our now beggining to come out of the “shadow” of the move and will go from strength to strength. We have to contend with Fergusons team and the rich benefactor clubs, but the fightback now begins.

353. VCC says:

Indeed TMHT.

Wenger is under pressure from some angles to deliver a trophy this season. I think he will achieve it this year, this will be our breakthrough. The team looked solid today, and appeared to have a togetherness that I have not seen for some time. We have Jack to come back, together with Sagna and Szez, which will boost things as well. A tough period coming up, so we will see what we are made of.

354. Gooner In Exile says:

Bloody hell a 2-0 result at Anfield has really picked up the spirits on here…..no sign of Evonne yet? Hope she got out of the Kop unscathed, not sure if I could have sat on my hands when Pod went through.

Might have to trawl the dipper blogs to find mention.

355. Gooner In Exile says:

Mannone has had two difficult games and come through with flying colours….so Szczesny is not a certainty for the Number 1 jersey.

Interesting that Fergie decided to drop De Gea again after the mistake last week that could have cost them….but didn’t. Still not sure he is happy with his £20m “future Cech” I have heard a lot of commentators fall over themselves with praise for some of his saves but to me he is a keeper that “likes to be busy” which for non keepers means he likes to make a flamboyant save when a step and hold the ball would be just as effective (and perhaps moreso). I personally don’t think keepers get better when they’re not playing.

My only criticism of Mannone today was that some of his saves were not pushed away from danger. But that’s a very harsh criticism and something you only see from keepers with considerably more years experience under the belt.

356. Slimgingergooner says:

If you thought Arsenal were good, check out Dave Weir in the 5000 metres! An inspiration.

357. Slimgingergooner says:

Terry,

Never mind January, our Xmas fixture list is reasonably friendly and I expect us to be very close come January. The only problem with that is it will make it easy for Wenger not to strengthen. But if we are close at that stage then we might not need to.

358. Rhyle says:

…or might be likelier, Slim. AW has already said if the “top, top, top” quality wasn’t in by end of TDD that he’d do it in December…which was weird ‘cos…well…you know…

ginge, i like your thinking my dear fellow. Youve convinced me, we will probably be top at Xmas and go from there. I realy believe the Champions League is ours too. You need a regimented defence to win that. This is going to be our year for a famous double. premeir and champions league.

360. Slimgingergooner says:

Terry,

Are Atletico Madrid in CL? They looked awesome the other day. Simeone has done an amazing job with their defence and they remind me a bit of us today! ;) they swarm defensively and break quickly, and in Falcao they have a top class finisher. I think CL might be a bit out of our grasp and I think we will struggle in January. Our cup/league fixtures are very tough and it’s going to define our season. But if we carry on like today then anything is possible.

Will we win a trophy? Yes
    Will it be the PL or CL? Not this year

361. Rhyle says:

Question for the troops who took the trip up north today: were there any Full Kit Wankers to be seen?

362. 26may1989 says:

Evening all. The world seems a whole lot rosier doesn’t it?

If anyone might be interested I think news re tickets for the Montpellier away game is released tomorrow. Might anyone want to go? An AA road trip, can’t be a bad idea.

I dont think they are ginge. valencia and malaga are the other 2 from spain. Shows you the strength of la liga.

I still think we can win either or maybe both of the big ones. If you look at our pool of defenders and midfielders they are more than a match for the others. the concern of course is the front 3. Its not as good as City and Utd and might let us down. What we need is a couple of guys to exceed expectations. If that happens any thing is possible

364. glic says:

Just watched MoTD and will watch the whole game tomorrow courteously of Bin Dipper TV.
    I will however don a black curly syrup and moustashe and say this, ” calm down ,calm down ! “, although we are in a better position than this time last year, our corresponding results make us two points down ( we beat Sunderland 2-1 ). So take it easy and keep dignified and keep that British reserve.

365. glic says:

Sod it………….yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss…………………………..hahahahahahahahahhahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhaahahahahahhahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

hahahaha, sod the stiff upper lip. Emotionaly driven crazy reactions are great. Were gona win the league. yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

367. 26may1989 says:

Rhyle, brilliant, if slightly worrying, piece re full kit wankers. At the Clock End, there was a guy who always wore full kit but with a twist: half the shirt and shorts were home kit, half away kit – ie, they were carefully sewn together. Very weird. I’ve seen him once or twice at Ashburton, so he’s definitely still around.

368. glic says:

Stretch
    Too knackered to talk, with the amount of driving I`ve done this week I feel like I`ve got a steering wheel Dangling between my legs , to tell the truth, It`s driving me nuts !.
    So I`m off for some shut eye, nite.

369. Slimgingergooner says:

Hahaha!

Good work gents!

Whilst I would love to share the optimism, last season taught me that things are never as bad as they seem, and that also means that things are never as good as they look.

Today’s performance in its own right was sensational, but with 50+ games to go including cups, I shall keep myself grounded until after Xmas.

I will say this though, I can see it being one hell of a ride this year and I am looking forward to all the bumps, bruises, twists and turns.

370. TT says:

Giroud’s participation in the first goal was excellent, I thought. When he saw Cazorla coming with the ball, he went naturally toward the left to his strong side, but because he must have seen Podolski come tearing down the field, he then cut back to his right, which caused his defender first to hesitate, then to follow him tentatively him for about three shuffles. This bought more space and time for Cazorla to operate in the middle, and by the time Giroud’s defender hustled back to cover the middle, his CB partner also committed himself to cover the same space, which left plently of green field on the left for Carzorla to feed a Podolski in full charge.

A rapid, three pronged attack like that, often may it occur, would cause trouble for plenty of defenses.

371. Anyone watch MOTD2? They did a free agent summary

Michael Owen – 33
    Owen Hargreaves – 31
    Nigel Reo-Coker – 28
    Emile Heskey – 34
    Ivan Klasnic – 32
    Craig Gordon – 29

Apart from the age of Hargreaves, Owen and Heskey (and injury records) i’m surprised someone hasn’t picked them up.

Apparently Brendan Rodgers said in his press conference post match that they could be picking up a striker who has “history with the club”, everyone put 2 and 2 together and said Owen, but maybe he meant Heskey!

372. Crapola match report to finish, see you all in the morning

373. Total says:

Cannot wait to read it GiE!

This article in The Guardian seems an accurate reflection on where we are:

374. Total says:

Songinho made his first start for Barca tonight, with Iniesta starting on the bench. I didn’t see the game, but if anybody did, please let me know how he performed.

375. 26may1989 says:

I saw bits of the Barca game Total, and to be fair to him, Song looked fairly good. He nearly managed to score as well. Cesc on the other hand looked poor.

376. Total says:

Cheers 26. I read that Cesc missed a few sitters. His mind was probably still on the brilliant Gunners’ win! :)

377. Rhyle says:

Lot of talk that Ronaldo has asked to leave RM and that he spent 20 mins grizzling in the changing room after the match…strange story, by all accounts…

378. goonermichael says:

GIE
    I think you can do that on a PC if you have acrobat. maybe you don’t need it

there was a fan in a half home half away shirt sitting in front of me in Cologne. Don’t think he had shorts though

Woke up this morning even more pleased than last night.

There was something magical yesterday – despite playing away to a major rival I never once felt we would drop points.

We had moments of luck and we had Webb give an excellent performance but we looked totally in control.

380. henrychan - indonesia says:

Thanks god.. we win..

We must win alot.. Clean sheet is not too important than winning..
    If we win 20 times and draw 18 times.. than is only 78 point..
    That equal to 26 wins and 12 loses..
    Not good enough tobe EPL champion..

We must win at least 26 games.. and not lost more than 5 times.. Than we will be the winners..
    Go Gunners..

381. Gooner In Exile says:

Big Raddy I couldn’t sum up this mornings afterglow any better.

Henry we are not a team that plays for draws you will get your wish. Although I think yesterday will cause some teams who thought they might take the game to us to decide to adopt a more cautious approach. Yesterday we saw glimpses of the early Wenger teams, score when we wanted/needed to, soaking up pressure. Clean sheets mean you can’t lose.

Morning, Everybody.

The chap with the half and half sewn together kits was at Anfield.
    We’ve seen him at quite a few away games. I presume he goes to them all.
    I think he’s involved with the group that sell Gunflash or whatever it’s called these days. I’ve seen him in the Arsenal supporters club on Gillespie Road, too, when I’ve popped in there to water the horses.

We saw one Liverpool supporter in what appeared to be full kit but he had a zip up top so couldn’t be 100% sure. The shorts were definitely authentic.

383. A No Nuffing Plonker says:

Morning, Guys, :-)

Don’t worry Henry, it is early days and we will many more games.

Raddy, I agree with you, and altho I don’t always share the concerns of many about refereeing standards, I do think that little so and son, Suarez, was continually trying, and sometimes succeeding, to con the ref.

Despicable cheating, but Webb turned a blind eye. That said, otherwise Webb had a good game.

Henry. If we concede less than 25 goals this season, we will win the title.

385. Gooner In Exile says:

Chas/GM I have only ever seen one fan do that (must be the same fella), when I was a kid I used to see him regularly walking down Gillespie Road. The two kit matchup used to work well when it was the old three stripe Adidas as there was perfect symmetry, not sure how the new kits will look together.

Thinking about our away fans I was reminded of Swampy who collected RvPs shirt after the Chelsea game last season, wouldnt it be great if Swampy took it to Old Trafford and burned it in front of him.

GIE,
    Bully

Webb’s refusal of a penalty in the first half when BFG got the ball before Suarez dived over him was superb refereeing. Especially at Anfield.

Refs watch all the games, they will know about Suarez and act accordingly.

Do you think AW would allow Suarez to cheat game after game? Would he encourage his behavior if it benefitted the Arsenal?

Raddy,
    Can I just say how much I enjoyed the Stoke Central Defender gag

389. Gooner In Exile says:

Chas can you put that video up on the Match Report page, highlights most of the things I have mentioned very nicely. Imperious display from our midfield enigma.

A win at Anfield is always a great result, but I do think much more than usual yesterday, in that it was on the back of two 0-0’s and we had the International Break ahead of us, which may have allowed small doubts/questions to linger and stew in players’ minds.
    Stuff to do, then at 10:30, I settle down to watch the game.
    So, bye for now.

GIE,
    I will do but won’t be about at 9.30.
    Delete it if you wish and include in the match report?

btw, I did send one photo to Arsenal nuts at 8:52 yesterday. It’s not brilliant but shows a view from the Arsenal end. We were under the overhang of the top tier and was difficult to see the near goal with everyone stood up.

393. Morning all,

GiE, your point about seeing glimpses of Wengers past teams in our display at Anfield is spot on, and i guess thats what i enjoyed the most from the game..

Raddy, your choice to invest in a purple pair of socks was very wise.
    Hope they keep your feet warm ;-)

Happy dayz

394. Still no Evonne…… is she ok?

Evonne is still celebrating

396. Gooner In Exile says:

Her Ex (the dipper fan) probably left her at Anfield :D

397. morning LB, of course she is….I dont think she will be needing her sofa this season..

The best thing about the game is that even though we were impressive and displayed a very mature performance, i believe we were only in 3rd gear ;-)

398. Gooner In Exile says:

I don’t have access to ArsenalNuts chas but I’m sure Rasper will stick it in. I don’t like playing with posts at this time of the morning as normally one of our two leaders are editing.

399. evonne says:

Evonne just got up LB :)
    And she read yesterday morning’s comments, monster and co are in trouble.

In a nutshell – it was a mission. 4+ hours on trains each way, very comfy. Had to take a taxi to the station or walk for 40mins to Anfield. Hundreds of fans (mostly Pool) on the train. Anfield from the outside looked horrible – small, old, not like a stadium at all. Excellent atmoshpere, all smiles.

Inside Anfield was even worse (Chas thought otherwise) – square, small, tiny plastic seats filled with huge Scoucers. Lots and lots of singing.

‘You never walk alone’ brought tears to my eyes, beautiful.

Game? I thought it was good, very impressed with out defence – BFG looked the business, you wouldn’t feck about with him. Diaby – fab, Giroud – ??? kept pulling faces.

400. evonne says:

I was sitting with the Scoucers and could not even applaud our excellent attempts. And then the first goal – my heart jumped out and I thought I won’t be able to control myself. But the silence that fell around me was sobering, couldn’t do it to them, no, even I am not that heartless. Even worse with the second, just yards away from where I was sitting.

My poor almost ex was in tears :( It wasn’t a great birthday present from me after all :( Especially that after we watched the second half of the all Irish and Dublin lost to Mayo :(

Just one more note – BIG thank you to Peaches, she was the star – looked after all my dogs better than I would. They loved their holidays by her pool and say ‘Thank you!’

401. Any news on our captain? Was it precautionary or was he subbed due to injury that may keep him out?

402. evonne says:

Oh yeah – I was delighted that contract- stalling Theo did not play. He will find it difficult to impress other managers from the bench

Still buzzing
    We are looking good are we not?
    MUFC radio (TS) buzzing over their victory yesterday makes me sick, yeah i shouldn’t listen but i have to.
    Thats the first time i’ve seen RVP in a MU shirt and that makes me sick too.
    I wondered if their might be any negetivity today about his chipped pen (remember v Wolves)? Or the fact that RVP is carrying MUFC, is there shite.
    Anyways
    3 games 3 clean sheets all without Kos, Sagna & Woj – Brilliant.
    Gibbs & Jenkinson were very good yesterday. Giroud gets in some great positions, once he scores he’ll get loads.

404. evonne says:

What did Gary Neville say about yesterday’s game?

405. henrychan - indonesia says:

Thanks guys..
    We used to win in Anfield.. But still it’s awsome..
    Hope we do it again at Etihad.. hehehe..

Hope we win next week at Emirates and Giroud score..
    Before we go to Montpeliier for Champions..
    Go Gunners..

406. rhyle says:

Is anyone going to the Everton U21 game tonight?

Morning all …….

…… New post ……

408. [...] post: Us and Them. ← Moan over, Let’s get behind who we do have…. Something’s still missing but at least [...]