Defensive midfielder ….going once, going twice …. SOLD

I’ve had a seriously topical and brilliant idea, and it concerns the transfer window.

While there has been talk about it being open too long, there are also specific concerns over certain aspects of the system, chief among these is the influence of Agents.

Two things popped into my mind. Auctions and Cattle Markets.

Rome is pretty much geographically central to the footballing world. Also, the sun shines and the food is good. In short, a very pleasant place for buyers to congregate for one day a year. Central to The Eternal City is the Flavian Ampitheatre, otherwise known as The Colosseum.

This is how my auction will work. The World’s Media and Buyers are assembled. So too are Rent-a-Mob. Booing and soft fruit throwing are allowed.

The “Products” for sale are valued, and this figure will simply represent the order in which they enter the Sales Arena. Cheap stuff first. This way we add an element of risk to the buyers, as well as building to a crescendo of excitement for the mob, as our auction moves to its climax where we see the Crème entering the arena last.

To add to the brilliance of my system is a dramatic simplification of the wage structure in one hit. A Product will be paid a flat 20% pa of its sales figure. Tidy.

Tell you what, as a player, you wouldn’t half think twice before becoming disillusioned about your prospects of winning trophies! Firstly, there’s the potential humiliation of only realizing a pitifully low price, then there’s the fact that you could end up in Siberia. Or worse, absolutely any Northern Town.

I cannot see a fault in this system, although perhaps you have a marginally less brilliant idea how to streamline this terrible, drawn out, fiasco.

Written by MickyDidIt89

172 Responses to Defensive midfielder ….going once, going twice …. SOLD

Brilliant post. Simply stunning.
    Nice title Peaches. Were there copyright issues with the pic?

Morning Micky, I’ll take the credit for the title … what pic?

3. Norfolk Gooner says:

This is a great idea Mickey, just one question…what do you with the unsold, overage dross left over?….Oh! wait a minute, of course! they all go to QPR.

4. This is a seriously wonderful idea. What a spectacle it would be and it would take the puff out of the players sails, let alone dumping a heap of kak on the parasitic agents.
    If there was a standardised contract as well, with wages on a scale governed by the sale price you can do away with all the legal vultures and backroom deals. With a FFP cap on numbers of players or total spend on players you have got a truely workable system.
    My only tweek would be to make them parade in their undies to give the ladies and Sol a thrill.

5. rhyle says:

Love it, Micky….can 100% testify that Carlisle is worse than Siberia.

My suggestion? Make it an offense for managers, agents and players to talk to the press about a player under contract to another club. There will still be gossip but I say the buck stops with the agent on that front – he should be held accountable for any nonsense being spouted in the paper to talk up his clients next contract.

Also – players should only be represented by ONE agent…hate that you always get 10 men claiming to represent a player who’s going for big coin – anyone remember the fiasco with Arshavin’s “agent”?

Norfolk,
    Leftovers to the Lions. Oh, what a day out for the mob.

NickyNick,
    My pic would have clearly illustarted the Products being paraded in loincloths :-)
    This would send out a clear message to all the trophy hunting little shits.

8. Great post Micky, if only…..
    What would happen to Darren Dein in this world? 2 the Lions, Gladiator fodder….. or bring out the gimp?
    Made a link on Twitter, so hopefully more traffic.

Your pic is in Micky …..

Thanks Rasp. Now it makes sense :-)

Micky, the idea of a player getting 20% of his purchase price as an annual salary is brilliant …. no, seriously brilliant!

There would be no haggling over salaries, every player’s wage would be predetermined by their transfer fee and so there could be no bad feeling in the dressing room.

Not sure how it would work for free transfers or when swap deals are done though :roll:

The whole bloody thing is brilliant. Actually Rasp :-)
    Yes, they earn according to what they are worth. There would be no free transfers, unless you are the poor fellow in the photo (taken at my trial auction) but he’ll simply get bought for a fiver and used as ball carrier.

Brilliant. Why is the fruit soft?

14. oz gunner says:

haha bloody brilliant idea Micky. like the 9.39 comment too. I’d like the job of giving the thumbs up or thumbs down to a player. Rooney…”KILL HIM!” RVP…”DOUBLE KILL HIM”, Adebayor…”KIIIILLLLLLLLL HIIIIIMMMMMMMM!”

Perhaps we should have hired a slave to whisper in Robin’s ear “Respice te, hominem te memento” (“Look behind you, remember you are only a man”) and “Memento mori” (“Remember (that you are) mortal”). Instead he was paying Dein to say the opposite!

15. oz gunner says:

can’t waste good fruit Big Ratty, heave ho the spoiled stuff! I’d chuck a soft tomato at Nasri but it’d probably ricochet of his flabby bits!

16. Morning all, love the idea Mdi89, reminds me of that laughable scene in buck rogers (episode Planet of the Amazon Women, S1 ep10) where the hero gets auctioned off as a slave to a woman owner.

With that sort of humiliation in line for Darrren Deins clients would they be so keen to argue “with the direction of the club” ?

17. Interesting idea that would certainly simplify the transfer market.

The problem is that your idea of paying the players 20 percent of their transfer fees would result in what is referred to in the investment market as “churning”: players and their agents, the better players, would want to move constantly to increase their income–the more time a player can get himself transfered the more he would make. This would result not only in a total absence of loyalty to any club, but also complete instability of every club in the world.

The idea of creating a single marketplace and a limited time for players to be auctioned (or auction themselves off) to the highest bidder is a good one. And, the idea that the players would get 20 percent of their transfer fee is a good one as well. But, I would make a radical change to how contracts are enforced–not just to your system, but to the way they are enforced in football/soccer today.

I would prefer to see the system changed to more resemble what exists in most American sports where a contract between a player and a team is inviolate until it expires and any other club that attempts to “tamper” with a player under contract to a team is severely punished. In that system, no club can even express interest in acquiring a given player who is under contract to another team. The player can still become a “free agent” and sign on with any team that he likes once his contract expires, but he and his agent may not have contact with other teams until his contract has expired. If a team has a player under contract and he does not want to sign another contract with the team when his contract is going to expire, that team may trade his contract to another club, but the club acquiring the player knows that, if the player is unwilling to sign a contract with that club after his contract is due to expire, it will only have his services until his current contract expires (which, of course, will lessen how much such a club is willing to trade or pay for that player). If a team has a player whose contract is going to expire soon and that player is determined to move to a certain other club, the team that is about to lose that player as a free agent may, in that instance, try to get that particular club to give up more to acquire the player immediately than say a club that would be interested in buying or trading for him in the short term (perhaps to help in a run at a title or to fill-in for someone who was injured in the short-term), knowing that his contract was about to expire.

In this manner, if a player signs a contract with a club for 5 years, he has to play for that club for most of that time unless the club decides to send him (and his contract) to another club. A player cannot be “unsettled” by a rival club “tapping him up” while he is still under contract to his club. And, yet, he is still free to move to another club once his contract has expired if he so chooses.

The transfer market in football/soccer is a chaotic mess the way that it is with clubs “tapping up” players who are not just under contract with other clubs, but who are at the beginning or in the middle of long-term contracts, without having the slightest concern that they will be punished for doing so. That shouldn’t be allowed. As I see it, a contract is a contract. If a player doesn’t like where he is playing, how much playing time he is getting or how much he is getting paid by his club, he shouldn’t have signed a contract with them in the first place. He should have to keep his side of the bargain the same way that the club is required to keep their side of the bargain (if the club pays a player a lot of money to sign a contract with them and he turns out not to be worth what they are paying him, they have to pay him until either they can trade him to another club or his contract expires). When the player’s contract expires, he can go wherever he wants and can get paid whatever some club is willing to pay for him. If he renews his contract or his contract is sold, he should get a “signing bonus” or a percentage of his transfer fee. But, he and his agent shouldn’t be allowed to force his club to trade or sell his contract while he is under contract to a club–you sign it, you play it out or you don’t get paid. Simple. And it would put an end to a lot of the madness that goes on now in the transfer market.

18. Total says:

Good morning AA’ers! :)

Micky what a marvellous post. Did you always have such a fantastic imagination or did the ‘smoking business’ help you develop it? ;)

I would like to add that every time a bid is being made, the player in question should be exposed to the characteristics of the bidding club, as a form of ‘early-taster’ induction: if it is Pool, smelly metal bins should be opened and closed in front of him and he should be forced to do a ‘dip’; if it is the southern or northern Chavs, players should be requested to stand up in an oil drum whilst being shagged by camels; if it is the Mancs he should be exposed to drizzly, ‘Scottish’ rain, hair-dryer treatment and a short video of life in that soulless place; if it is the Spuds…..I leave that one to your imagination.

Btw, I read up on some of the posts and some of the regular AA need serious wrist slapping! :lol:

However, I am going to take my time and will choose my moments, HAHAHAHAAAH. :twisted:

Great to see Harry back, and in great form too! :)

RA: good to see you back as well. Hope all is well with you, Sir!

Evonne, your enforced typos have simply been hilarious! :)

Absolutely gutted about the loss of our only Song and totally bewildered by the way his departure has happened and the lack of outcry by most of the fellow AA’ers. But, I’ll do a post about it next week or so, when my brain has cooled down from the ferocious heatwave-exposure in France and I have read up on all the ‘facts’.

I cannot believe the he-devil went to the Mancs: what a total tosser. Does he not realise he is simple being used as a final bit of plastic surgery to a quickly deteriorating lady of age by the Glazers? But I save my comments on him for a future post too. :)

19. oz gunner says:

TA TA TA TA! Micky insulted Total Football!!!!

welcome back, hope you enjoyed your holiday.

20. Total says:

Hi OZ! :)

The Cazorla-Ox obsessed one is on my list of ‘future reprisals’, don’t you worry! :)

Holiday was great. 32-38 degrees Celsius for 2.5 week non-stop. Great countryside and mountain-ranges and lovely food and vino. First footie shirt I saw in France was a ’29 Chamakh Arsenal’ shirt. Now, why did that make me think of the Rasper with a wry smile on my face?! ;)

In a place where we stayed on the way back, St Quentin, I unexpectedly found myself in the ‘Rue de l’Arsenal’ which, superstitious as I can be, I saw a good omen! :)

TA. Welcome home….

22. Total says:

Hi Raddy, good to see you back as well. :)

You seemed to have been away for ages: did you enjoy your time in Italy? And what is the Danish press writing about our Nik: is he staying or going?

23. VCC says:

Welcome back TA, glad you had a great holiday. You’ve been missed sir.

24. Great, the voice of reason is back – welcome back TotalA.

25. samuel says:

Yet more mindless drivel from another Arsenal blogger ,try blogging
    about the real issues at the club,like that of the manager who has
    lost his mind and needs to be replaced,sooner rather than later,sev
    en long mediocre tropyhless Wenger seasons prove it beyond doubt
    time for him to go ?

26. ..and so Wenger’s pre-match presser starts.

27. Total says:

Cheers VCC and Chary :) :)

Isn’t democracy great? It allows the likes of Americangunnerfan and Samuel (is there a better case for the expression of ‘from the sublime to the ridiculous’?) to express their opinion freely and unpunished. One is to be totally ignored – another benefit of democracy – the other one deserves applause for its depths and freshness.

Samuel. I think you are blogging on the wrong site. As to mindless, pot and kettle come to mind.

TA. 6 weeks of unadulterated good weather, food, wine, music and company. Couldn’t have asked for more. As toNB – according to the Danish press he is history and Italy bound (though I doubt that!)

29. Oh dear, Chesney doubtful for Sunday :(

Stand by for Flappy v The Orcs …eeek !

Shit. TA’s back.
    The great thing about total football is that I like it very much. Its a really very good idea, and also, there is absolutely no way that I’d select Santi and Ox to play in the same midfield. No. Never.

31. ..and now Wenger says Chesney should be ok, but has a slight injury..hmm…

Wenger says he’s still in market for ‘one or two’ positions but says he has strong squad. “We have a good mixture”

‘We only have players who will add something special. Always a lot going on, I have a clear idea of what I might do.’

32. Red Arse says:

TA, you little devil. good to see you back and primed to go! :-)

Micky, you have done did it, again! :-)

I would love to see a co-production Post written between you and the Cornish Pixie, aka Glic, it would be like a magic mushroom read! :-)

BTW, TA, you are right, provided there is no profanity involved, we would not want to censor the inept, rude, stupid and boring output of certain bloggers like the one at 12:15.

However, reading such comments is distasteful and excoriates the cerebrum but exercising the right to ignore such crap is an inalienable right for the rest of us, and hopefully that message will eventually get across.

33. Wenger says Bendtner could go, says Song wanted to go.

Wenger says ‘both parties around the table’ and is hopeful Walcott will sign and stay.

Wenger says on Sahin: ‘at the moment it’s not alive.’

“Mindless drivel”

35. Redders, I thought you didn’t like the 12.16 comment :)

“My name is Maximus Robinus Persius, defector to the Armies of the North, General of the Fergix Legions, disloyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Arsenius. Father to a glass ankle, husband to a massive wallet. And I will have my pay rise, in this life or the next.”

Brilliant stuff Micky – and a brilliant idea.

Just imagine the TV audience for Transfer Day in the Coloseum!

Welcome back TA

38. :D Micky you always produce a Friday post to raise a smile.

“charybdis1966 says:

Wenger says on Sahin: ‘at the moment it’s not alive.’”

Does that meand he failed the medical or is Sahin some kind of Frankenstein bot?

hahaha, brilliant Micky, crucify the lot of them.

Rocky, rather have Maximus buy me than Larry Olivie from Spartacus. Apparently he likes both Snails and Oysters, so it could be a rough time. hahaha.

Nice to see you back TA.

41. dandan says:

http://youtu.be/RvLwx1fRne8 Wonder if this is Samuals Dad

42. Total says:

Cheers Terry, Exile, Rocky :)

Sounds great Raddy. Now I know how you are able to survive those harsh winters in Denmark! :) I fear we will be stuck with Bendtner for another season, without him adding much to the cause… :(

RA, I think he got the message :lol:

43. Total says:

Thanks for press conference updates Chary!

Micky :)

dandan :)

Welcome back TA, a lot’s happened while you’ve been away :P – are you mourning the loss of A. S. Billong?

45. No worries TotalA, I was particularly interested what he would say in his final presser before the wretched transfer window shuts.

GiE – I guess Sahin has turned into a zombie like member of the living dead on hearing he is banished to bin dipper territory for the season.

You’ve gotta like this example of Arsene-speak.

Thought this was funny: Chelsea want Moses, Arsenal want Jesus, And United have Judas.

46. Anyone checked pics on Arsenal website of training session? Very last pic is Jack and Podolski, Jacks wearing football boots :D not long now

americangunnerfan
    I really enjoyed your comment about today’s Post. I’m based in North America myself (Canada) and I feel that the FA and UEFA could take a lot of lessons from the way some of the top pro sports are run in America.

48. Candid gunner says:

Fantastic piece Micky, simply phenomenal! Welcome back sire!

49. neamman says:

In hockey in Canada there is usually an annual general managers meeting and many deals get done during that time. Maybe some sort of variation on that would be good.

50. Red Arse says:

CharyB, :-) I always enjoy your rumbustious comments! :-)

While I am rolling my ‘r’ s, so to speak, where is that rambunctious and occasionally raucous Cornish Pixie? :-)

51. Red Arse says:

During his Press Conf, Arsene said that Song had not been sold because of a bad attitude.

Well he could not be clearer, so those stories about Bouldy grasping Songo by the throat for ignoring instructions were clearly the usual mischievous bollix.

52. Yeah, I am a bit of a yob, Redders ha ha.

53. oz gunner says:

@ TA

Very jealous, glad you had a good time.

@ Neamman

I’m sure that’d be a civil affair though. Could you imagine putting representatives from teams around the world together and coming to some sort of an agreement? It’d be like the UN, but it’d turn into one big mess!

There is a degree of uniqueness in the current football transfer system that I find enjoyable, although, not always satisfying.

I would never, ever, advocate switching to the North American way as I find it to to be over controlled and somewhat sterile. In the end result the players, just like in football, end up going to the highest bidder anyway.

During the off season for North American sports the air waves go silent and the only time you hear any news is when the players get into trouble, usually with the law.

Personally I like to keep in touch with my team as much as I can during the off season and the continuous (somewhat idle) speculation on who is in and who is out helps to do just that.

Can you imagine a summer without all of the bartering and bantering that surrounds the transfer market, well, nor could I as it creates loads of enjoyment for tens of thousands of fans – world wide.

Improvement is definitely needed, especially when it come to the level of tampering that goes on and the amount of dysfunction and interference caused by agents. But not the North American way.

55. evonne says:

TA is out of his hiding! now you are going to get some stick son!

Guys, we have a problem. Chas was to write a match report on Sunday, but he is internetless and as a result ‘going bonkers’. He apologises to his beloved Peaches and asks if anybody else could write the report, TA being the obvious candidate.

56. Red Arse says:

Evonne, :-)

I am concerned about the use of the future tense when you say Chas is “going bonkers”. Surely that should be present tense with our Master of Vids? :-)

57. evonne says:

RA :) they are his words. Personally I think he is completely mad, but wouldn’t dare telling him that. Now, that he is internetless for a few days, I can say what I want :) With friends like me…..

58. Red Arse says:

IRISH, calling IRISH,

Long time no see, no speak, no write!! :-(

Get on to the net and look up Superdrug. They are running a competition to win tickets to see Lady Gaga in her Born this Way tour. You never know!!! :-)

59. Red Arse says:

Those were my sentiments too, Evonne. He cannot get his own back if he does not know!! :-)

60. Candid gunner says:

Evonne,
    I hope TA doesn’t make you like the helpless bloke in the pic above when/if he finds out what you’re ‘doing’ behind his back? *winkz*

61. evonne says:

RA – told Chas about him being bonkers already and he said that there is not one person posting on this blog that ain’t bonkers :) he has a point you know :)

62. jnyc says:

Fun post mickey. Good to see TOTALl back. interesting stuff from arsene. I always wonder what he is really thinking!

63. rhyle says:

Evening…the weekend’s here, we can ignore the transfer nonsense for a couple of days and get on with the important business of actually playing football…always love playing Stoke…

64. I’ve got 52 weeks of unadulterated good weather, food at only a quid a meal, beer, bloody awful music and lots of “company”. And still I ask for more. Not aimed at anyone specifically.
    Just bored ’til tomorrow.

TA

Did you see the Sunderland game? The shape of the defence has changed, Steve Bould’s influence no doubt, this will be noticed by everyone soon, just wondered what your thoughts were?

66. LB – TA had to survive on live texts from me from the game :lol:

……..although he probably sat and watched it this afternoon on Arsenal player ;)

Welcome back TA :)

67. evonne says:

Pep Guardiola is improving his English in New York, I wonder why?? Has to be Chelsea

I wish I could think of enough to write to turn my point about the defence changing due to Bouldy’s influence into a head line post but I can’t.
    No other site has noticed this yet and I wanted to be first but as I can’t I know TA is capable of filling pages on the team’s formation so at least AA would be the first site to talk about it.

69. evonne says:

LB :)
    What is your take on Armstrong’s decision?

LB
    That’s a rubbish excuse!
    Just right a short Post. I, for one, would love to read it.

Rasp, Peaches
    I’ve put one in drafts – not time sensitive so could hold over ’til next week if you like.
    It does include a link to a YouTube clip. It would be much better to have the clip itself in the Post (rather than just the link) but I don’t know how to do that – maybe you do?

I honestly wish I could.

Armstrong is as guilty as sin.

I assume they’re all doped, aren’t they?

74. evonne says:

LB – seems that way. Terrible, I adored the guy, read his book twice, and it seems he is just another van Per$ie

Evening.
    Rocky,
    I recently read an interview with the bloke that provided the dope for Marrion Jones and Dwain Chambers, and he reckons 60% of athletes at this year’s Olympics were doping.

76. Red Arse says:

Who are you calling a dope, Rockadillo?

Today, I got cited for parking a wheel on the almost non existent pavement, and it put me in mind of a pertinent joke.

“As the coffin was being lowered into the ground at a Parking Wardens funeral, a voice from inside screamed:
    “I’m not dead, I’m not dead! Let me out!!!”

The Vicar smiled, leant forward, shook his head and sucking air through his teeth muttered: “Too late pal, the paperwork’s already done.”

I am not in a good mood. Where is that bloomin Glic?? :-)

LB,
    I’ll know all is well with the defence the moment I see the back four simultaneously stepping forwards with their arms in the air screaming: “Oi Lino…..Off side!” :-)

78. evonne says:

Micky – I ROLFed a lot after I read your post :)

Good idea and perfectly feasible in my opinion. I would just add the dress code – the players for sale should not be branded with the selling club and ought to appear on the stage naked, which of course should not increase/descrease their price, unless the agent is that butty boy Darren Dein

RA
    ROLF

Evonne,
    Pigs are entertaining but….leave a house door open and turn away, and they’re in like Flynn :-)

However hard I try, something has changed , I just can’t put my finger on it

“RASP…RASP…HELP…Kelsey has gone cryptic on us..HELP..”

83. evonne says:

Micky – how do they fit through the door??

84. Total says:

Hi Rasp, you know the answer to that one, but I need to put it all in a post, sometime next week. If Arsene is looking for a purist DM to replace Song, it wont be hard for him to succeed. However, if he wants to find a defensive minded and capable DM who can also play a bit of footie – like Song can do – I reckon it will be a lot harder to successfully replace him. Those sort of footballers are as rare as a beautiful woman on a French camp site.

I agree, to a certain extent, with your earlier comment that we might not need a midfielder with strong DM skills and could cope with deeper laying midfielders. But when we are playing against the big boys in the PL and Europe it really helps to have a bit of a DM-bully in our team.

I am with Chary that the next few days will be very exciting in terms of transfer developments.

GiE, why does that sound poetic: ‘Jack is wearing football boots’? Ooh let it be true that he will be back imminently! JW10 :)

Evonne :) ‘Now you are getting some stick son!’ I quite like the sound of that! :oops:

Hi JNYC :)

Big Al, nothing beats a cup of tea with a bar of chocolate whilst it’s raining cats and dogs outside to compensate for a lack of footie. :)

85. Total says:

Hi LB, Peaches is right: I missed the game but thankfully she provided me with fantastic updates. I also read Rocky’s fantastic MR and that’s all I know about the game.

I am dying to watch the game on Sunday and to see our team shape up against the Orcs. Looking forward to watching our defensive shape and discipline, and to see the player in action everybody is talking about: Cazorla. What do you make of him?

You should really write a post about our defence – I, like Rocky, would love to read your views.

It is also encouraging that both the northern and southern Chavs’ defences have already been breached by two goals at home games against ‘minor’ opposition.

Hi Total, re your @ 8:00 pm, if he wanted a defense minded midfielder who can also play footie he should have gone for Sahin. It is a big mistake letting pool have him, that decision could come back to haunt us.

Rasp
    I was looking forward to seeing Sahin and Arteta line up with Santi in front of them… but if the financial terms of the deal were really daft (there are some reports that it would have cost us between 5m and 10m for a one year loan) then maybe we were right to walk away, particularly if there are other targets in mind.

He will definitely improve Liverpool if he goes there, however.

Hi Rocky, I read the report that somehow concocted a figure of £10m – it’s flawed maths. It would be £5m tops. We’ve got to keep the wages sensible, but a one year punt would not have bankrupted us and who knows, we might have thought he was worth buying at the end of it.

89. Total says:

Hi Rasp, do you reckon Sahin is not predominantly an attacking midfielder? From what I have heard he is not known for his defensive midfield qualities…

He’s very quick and energetic and loves to tackle as well as having an excellent range of passing skills. He was captain of Dortmund and Bundesliga player of the year a couple of seasons ago, he’s a very good player and would definitely have made our best starting 11 once settled in.

91. Total says:

From the Guardian this evening: he is looking for a completely defensive player by the sounds of it.

“Wenger remains in the market for signings and said he had “a clear idea of what I want to do … if it happens, it happens”. Any addition, though, would have to be “special”. Wenger walked away from the proposed loan deal for Real Madrid’s Nuri Sahin, partly because he questioned whether he needed another creative central midfielder. He said that Sahin was a “similar type of player” to Jack Wilshere, who has a long-term foot injury. October would be “an important month” on the comeback trail for Wilshere, the manager said.

With Alex Song having gone to Barcelona, Wenger’s priority is a defensive midfielder, even if Song was not really a defensive-minded player. “I do not need to buy an average midfielder,” said Wenger, who noted he had nine central midfielders on the books. “If someone top, top class turns up, completely defensive, we will consider it.”

92. Total says:

We already have Ox, Cazorla, Diaby, Arteta, Ramsey, TR and JW10 for the less dm-minded midfield positions. Not sure whether Sahin would have become a first choice player.

I would go for Dembele: he would be a brilliant bruiser type of a DM with additional football skills. At Fulham they do not use him in the right position in my view.

93. oz gunner says:

Tiote would be a very good replacement, and he would protect the back four no problems!

94. Total says:

Not a bad suggestion, but there is the ACN to consider…

Wouldnt say no to either Tiote or Dembele but i still prefer Mvila. Is it the transfer fee, the wages, the boys attitude? I noticed that Arteta played the role decently against sunderland but still feel we are short in that area. We are not far from a great team that can win this league. lets hope it all comes together

96. oz gunner says:

It’s amazing over the years just how many DM we’ve been linked with (for long stretches) since Gilberto’s departure. We have:

melo
    senna
    inler
    cana
    m’vila
    parker

Through those times Arsene decided to stick with flamini, denilson and then song. I see him doing the same thing and sticking with Coquelin or a pairing of Arteta/Diaby/Wilshere and that’s fine by me

Your probably right there Oz. Of all the players i lament leaving these last few years Flamini is top of my list. He had a grit and determination that i realy admired and it complemented the more skillful players around him.

98. oz gunner says:

definitely Terry, Flamini would be mine also. His stamini and grit were unrivaled. I loved his ability (like Lansbury’s) to get into the box and score. He’s still a free agent…haha

99. Total says:

What about our new captain? Aggressive, great in the air and on the flour, great engine, would put fear in any opposition’s midfield, decent passer of the ball and a good long distance shot.

100. Gooner In Exile says:

Sahin is believed to be on £125k a week. Even if that’s over the top Madrid would have wanted a large slice of the pie, plus a loan fee on top possibly…anywhere up to £5m total maybe you can do that for a season. But if it prevents signing more long term prospect earlier then Im not so sure and then there is the stumbling block of that wage if we choose to exercise any option.

I don’t mind him going to Pool as defence isn’t really their problem it’s going forward they lack. For all Suarez’s skill he is a terrible finisher. 4 goals from 55 shots 10/11 and 6 from 95 in 11/12. Despite him scoring an immense amount of goals for Ajax it is still an average goal/shot percentage of around 12% for Ajax and Liverpool combined http://tomkinstimes.com/2012/03/luis-suarez-9-or-10/

Remember last season the loan deal for Yossi was on the back burner whilst Arteta was trying to be signed. My guess is Sahin was backup to one of the more consistently linked names, I expect an announcement Monday.

101. Gooner In Exile says:

TA Vermaelens a baker? Or is flour a metaphor? :)

102. Total says:

I think I am going with LB’s initial theory that it would have been either Sahin or Cazorla and that the ‘pursuit’ of the former was used to lower the price the latter.

103. Gooner In Exile says:

If LB is right and Bouldy is having an effect on our gung ho defending (and by effect I mean telling them to defend first) we won’t need to worry as much about our defensive midfielder.

If we implemented the press properly again we don’t need a defensive midfielder just someone disciplined enough to sit in front of the back 4 and sweep up the pieces.

From the current squad, who do you think that should be GiE?

I already know that TA thinks Flower should play there. hahaha

106. Total says:

I prefer a beast on a leash in front of the back four, who also possesses a decent long distance pass… that makes me think of Flamini….or TV…….or Dembele……….or maybe Tiote….

107. Total says:

Terry, are you aware of any Greek defensive beasts?

108. oz gunner says:

I’ve found him TMHT, the Greek warrior Achilles!

I hear that Minotour geezer is quite good TA. Very good in the air having a Bulls head and all that. Think he plays for Panathinikos. Mind you he did get done by Van Persius so maybe its not agood idea. hahaha

110. oz gunner says:

Sorry terry minotour was killed by The(o)seus! back to the drawing board…

hahaha, thanks for that Oz. Though ime sure in real life he looked more like Kojack than Brad Pitt. He might also be injury prone.Kick him in the heel and hes best mates with Diaby

Oh yeah. Knew i should have paid more attention at Greek School. To busy stretching those days…..infact, to busy stretching these days to. hahaha

113. oz gunner says:

that’ll definitely rot your brain, and give you hairy palms!!!

114. oz gunner says:

only just heard Johnson has gone to Sunderland for 10million. Shame really, I thought he’d be a handy pickup

Not for 10 mill Oz. Arsene can do a lot better than Johnson with that sort of money.

Any squeaks on Walcott signing up again?

117. Slimgingergooner says:

I think Kieran Richardson could be Wengers last minute cheap deal this year. He wants to leave Sunderland to move to London and has been linked before. Plus can play LB or in a deep midfield role. If Santos is considered as a left winger then he could be a cheap option for Wenger to cover Gibbs.

On way to Wembley to see the Rhinos in the Challenge Cilup Final. They’ve given out lightning the whole time we are there so should be fun!

Have fun Slim.
    I think AW is waiting to see what’s in the kitty from sales.

119. Slimgingergooner says:

Micky,

I agree. I think we will see 1 more quality signing before the end of the window plus a surprise signing (like Richardson). I know we have quality coming through in Coquelin, Frimpong, Eisfeld and Aneke but we are still 1 body light in the midfield area as these lads ain’t ready yet.

120. Gooner In Exile says:

TMHT to answer your question from last night it would be Arteta, as not only is he disciplined but can also get the ball back up the field again without trying to be too fancy.

Interesting Slim,
    Which position for the quality signing, and are you assuming Walcott stays?
    In all the chats on here about midfield line ups, formations, players coming through and potential recruits, how rarely the name of Ramsey pops up.

122. Slimgingergooner says:

I think Theo will sign and I think it will be a DM type that comes in, plus a cheap defensive player who can cover full back positions. I am on record as saying that Ramsey will go on loan but now that Song has left that may not be the case.

Last season our three problem areas were imo:
    - cover for Persie. Sorted.
    - creative midfielder. Sorted
    - defensive side of our midfield. Unsorted.
    We either put our faith in Coqulin (back up Frimpong), and I’m happy with that, although that is risky, or we get a 28yr old defensive midfielder of very high quality that will allow Coquelin to learn and get plenty of game time.
    If we can avoid injuries in the back four, they will naturally develop a better understanding and go some way to shipping less goals.

Slim,
    I do find the Theo question fascinating.
    If AW does buy a quality holding type, then he starts with Arteta and Santi.
    So what about O-C? I’m sure he is going to make himself undroppable this season. I think he’s a central midfielder, but he can still do a better job right than Theo.

GiE,
    Just seen this great comment from you:

“If we implemented the press properly again we don’t need a defensive midfielder just someone disciplined enough to sit in front of the back 4 and sweep up the pieces”

A kind of Pirlo?

Given Arteta’s age and fragility, it would make sense for him to sit in front of the defence rather than expend energy further up the field. I do not see us buying a DM… why?

Because we have Frimpong and Coquelin both of whom are very strong defensively

Because we have a better organized defence

Because we really need right sided defensive cover and it is here we can add to the squad.

Because against Sunderland we lined up without one

Because the O-C, JW, Cazorla Arteta/Ramsey/Diaby/Rosicky midfield is the future.

127. Red Arse says:

Morning Folks, :-)

It’s only a general and personal observation, but I always associate ‘cheap’ with ‘useless’.

You know the comment, “I bought a cheap watch in the pub — it’s only got one hand”, or, “I bought a nice looking, cheap car — it had only done 200K miles – didn’t make it 100 yards to the bottom of my road”.

Potential Arsenal players should never be looked at as ‘cheap’ to buy. They are either good enough – or not – and valued for their ability to play at the top level, or not.

But what do I know? :-)

RA I never found a “cheap” woman to be useless….

129. Gooner In Exile says:

Cheap an average > expensive and useless

At least we’ve shopped in Waitrose this year rather than Happy Shopper, couple more years we might shop in Harrods again.

Raddy,
    Are we a better organized defensive side?
    We’ll see I guess. Certainly less chargy fowards against Sunderland, but I didn’t see a vastly improved defensive shield from our midfield, although its very hard to draw any conclusions from that game.

131. evonne says:

Morning all, it’s good to see the morning rant is back on here and the blog is gathering speed rapidly – sure sign the season is back on, hurray!!!

Are you all forgetting Jack? He’s back soon.
    Seems that Denielson is going to break a few heart when he buys one way ticket to Italy :)

132. Gooner In Exile says:

Micky Pirlo would be lovely, the lad is different gravy just a bit old I guess.

133. evonne says:

Micky Pirlo? I thought his first name was Andrea :)

134. Gooner In Exile says:

:D Evonne

135. Red Arse says:

I hear you, GIE, and in essence that is right, but I disagree with the premise because you are again equating price as the determining factor.

Poor or average player = not good enough for Arsenal.

Price is irrelevant.

136. oz gunner says:

morning all

Coquelin for me, it’s his time and he will fit in nice and snugly at DM. Tough, energetic, and tenacious!

I like Slims call on Richardson because if Santos moves up field I’d hate to be to reliant on gibbs

137. Red Arse says:

Raddy, I have never found a ‘cheap’ woman. I knew there was something wrong with my approach to these things! :-)

Evonne, I had heard that Jack will be back in October and certainly before Xmas. That is not soon enough for me, and I am worried that we heard the same thing this time last year.

Hope I misheard.

138. evonne says:

Well dear RA, it might not be soon enough for you, but tough, October it is :)

and you are all happy with our No 1?

139. evonne says:

A relative from Brighton has just phoned me, he is going to see Brighton v Barnsley game today. How much do you think are the tickets, go on…how much do you think?

140. Total says:

Evonne: £30?

141. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

9 pounds

142. evonne says:

£37 !!!!!!!!! that is terribly expensive, isn’t it?

143. Slimgingergooner says:

Micky,

On the Ox situation, my midfield 3 would be Arteta, Ox and Cazorla, but there’s very rarely a ‘first choice’ team these days due to injuries, suspensions and resting. I don’t think managers go into a season anymore with a fixed 11, it’s more a flexible 15 or 16 players depending on opposition, form and fitness. We won’t see the best of Wilshere or Diaby until Xmas and Rosicky is injury prone. I think Ox can do the link job between Arteta and Cazorla and he has the ability to do something a bit special in a game. I’m glad to see that Gervinho is looking sharp at the moment and the fact he’s hardly getting mentioned tells me he is now part of that 16 man unit. Ramsey on the other hand isn’t there just yet.

144. Total says:

It is a very affluent city, Evonne, fed by the commuters to London incomes!

SSG. We agree again!

evonne. That is a shocking amount to see Brighton but they have to pay for their new ground.

I have just lost half a post thanks to the wonders of WordPress. Nuts…..

146. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

morning all,

Fun post Micky Pirlo, enjoyed it thanks..

Total, good to see you back..

Im looking forward to seeing our Prince Poldi purr against the orcs in our new away kit, and hopefully with a few more shed kilos..

When he gets back to full match fitness and his sharpness returns he will truly be a great asset to our club..

Im banking on him to do some damage this weekend and the papers shall read, Prince Poldi Purrs in Purple Reign :-)

147. Total says:

Hi 3xP, good to see you back as well. For a while, I thought you had deserted us! Hope you are right re Poldi! Where should he, ideally, play?

Re Ramsey, I think it will suit him that he has to fight for his position this season. Less pressure this way, and nobody has a better box to box engine than him.

Slim,
    Love your midfield of Arteta, Ox and Cazorla, and as you say Ox does the link thing.
    One problem, that’s what Song did with Arteta and we shipped 49 goals.
    Steve Bould is not going to improve the defence that amount without help from the midfield. No chance whatsoever.

149. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

Total, im always here, just dont always get time to post or cant be bothered to argue with wordpress..Work also picks up at this time of year for me but i never miss a match day.. :-)

Re Poldi, ultimately imo when fully fit he should play on our left side of attack with Giroo through the middle..He always wanted to come deep to collect and get involved against sunderland so this way he would be more involved..Im also expecting Giroo to prove alot of doubters wrong and he will be too good to leave on the bench as the games roll in..that leaves Ox, Theo (if he signs) and Gerv to fight for the right side..Nice problem we have :-) but thats just my formation

150. rhyle says:

I swear to God some blogs will just put inciteful, hateful content on their sites just to get hits…completely unnecessary…and, for once, I’m not talking about certain elements of the LG comments…

151. evonne says:

Raddy – yes, shocking. something to point out to the complaining Arsenal fans

152. Prince-Purrfect-Poldi says:

someone needs a hug. Lol

what happened Rhyle?

153. Total says:

3xP, I agree with you: the Pod on the left and Giroud in the middle.

Which site Rhyle?

155. oz gunner says:

I need a hug too PPP, i went over the LG before (extremely bored) and there is a bloody impostor going around with the name ‘Oz Gunner’! How dare he! He’s like an evil twin who spouts doom and gloom stuff!

156. rhyle says:

Think the midfield of Ox, Arteta & Cazorla would work against the majority of teams…specifically those who park the bus when they play us and teams who want to have a go at us…well, it’ll give ‘em plenty to think about before they commit players forward.

For me, we need the option of a true, disciplined DM for teams who like to play us on the counterattack or use players in the hole…think of someone with the right DM attributes v Rooney or whomever…lump ‘em on his shoulder and let him try to dictate the game from there! Would love it to be Martinez (Bayern deal seems to have hit the buffers “nowhere near completion” according to Sammer) but not holding my breath!

157. rhyle says:

No hugs necessary…*mans up*

Bit of a blog fart from me! I just don’t understand why people still want to drag up things like Hysel using “Liverpool hooligans attacked and murdered Juventus fans in that crumbling old stadium” nearly 30 years on, inciteful bullshit designed to get a reaction…

Everyone’s gutted about Sahin falling through…but to drag that up? Pathetic…can’t be bothered to get into something on their blog, about to go out with the kids…just needed to get it off my chest!

Highbury House, btw…normally not a bad blog, rico’s corner of the world…

158. Slimgingergooner says:

BR,

That’s twice we’ve agreed already, once more today and the world will implode!

Micky,

I think the 49 goals thing is misleading due to a) conceding stupid amounts of goals against United and Blackburn, and b) the crazy injuries we had for half the season.

I totally agree that we need to sort out our defence and I think Bould and a regular back 4 can knock 15 goals off that tally alone. As regards the midfield, if Arteta was the deepest player and he knew this was the case then I think his discipline would be much better than Songs and therefore we would be more solid. Arteta was having to cover Song from further up the field, but the Ox wouldn’t need to do that as Arteta would cover. I also think Cazorla’s work rate is excellent and hes much more of a rounded midfielder than he may get credir for. The stats that were put on here the other day seemed to show that his tackle rate etc was much better than that of similar players.

159. rhyle says:

Slightly hungover, too…so may be a bit sensitive this morning…heh…

Slim,
    I’m doing my utmost to provoke LB to unsheath his nib and reveal all. :-)
    I actually agree with all you say, however, against the bus parking lot, we must think of an alternative to Theo.

161. Raddy – just saw your comment about losing part of your post in drafts – it may still be there. Go to the bottom of the page and bring up one of your earlier revisions, you can chose to use one of those instead and it may have your missing words

Peaches. Thanks.

Morning all …..

… New post …..

Rhyle. Some of the comments written on the ‘net infuriate me.
    Racism, ignorance and hatred abound on the web, fortunately we have created an oasis of reasonable debate here on AA.

165. Slimgingergooner says:

I’m sure LB is polishing his nib as we speak! :)

I think the alternative, even though it goes against most of what I just said, is to play the Ox wide right and bring in Diaby or Rosicky in the centre. To beat teams who park the bus, you must have players who can go past people, as this is the only way to create space and it moves the defence around when they have to cover each other. You rarely see Barca struggle against parked busses because Iniesta and Messi skin 2 or 3 at will, thus causing havoc. Theo’s reluctance to attack defences slows the play and makes it easy to defend. The Ox and Diaby/Rosicky on the other hand are able to run at players and create space, IMO!

166. Hurrah, that’s what I was exploring for, what a material!
    existing here at this web site, thanks admin of this web site.