The Rumour Mill

I have posted on here before of my amusement at the intensity of fans during the summer break, I know I am in the minority but I simply cannot be bothered to get wound up by the rumour mill and media circus. Thank god this superb Olympics has pulled so many of the scribes away from their dubious fabrications within the football silly season and directed them to a more worthwhile and fulfilling portrayal of fact rather than fiction.

I am aware that blogs need to feed upon themselves, but the reading of tealeaves based upon todays rumour is surely just about as relevant to Arsenal as Madam Clairvoyants input as she travels the country with the summer fairs, reading punters palms.

We debate and denigrate the activities and statements supposedly coming out of the club whilst agonising and moralising over the leaked utterances of players not noted for their non-football cerebral powers, whilst knowing instinctively that they are merely stocking fillers emanating from a bevy of devious and self-seeking agents, many of whom do not represent the player concerned but have smelt a honeypot and gleefully inserted their fingers in the hope of getting a share of the sweetness on offer.

Fact has no relevance for these charlatans, yet we the fans are moved to cogitate that there is no smoke without fire whilst knowing in all likelihood that it is purely smoke and mirrors which needs no fire as the smoke itself is artificial.

Thankfully only ten days stand between us and the new season and though all our transfer business may not be finalised at least we will be able to debate from a position of strength as to the relevance of the work carried out by the club and officials. They have apparently signed and continue to sign reinforcements whist juggling the movements of existing staff both within and away from the club.

My reading of the blog through this period has engendered a feeling of sadness that so many of our bloggers have lost their trust in the club and its personnel mainly through the constant non information in the form of rumours being constantly recycled.

Roll on the new season and a return for us all to the real world of football.

Written by dandan

111 Responses to The Rumour Mill

1. Adrian says:

Song to barca? Thoughts anyone? Even Iniesta has started the process of praising him, and we all know where these stufd always lead to..

Thanks for the post, dandan.

I’ve actually thought that Arsenal Arsenal was one of the few places where you could get away from the constant rumour mill this summer.

I don’t know how else we could have interpreted the statement of Brave Sir Robin. (Unless he’d distanced himself from it, that is)

What would you suggest, shutting down the blog over the summer?

3. Norfolk Gooner says:

It’s only a rumour, that there is no smoke without fire.

Morning all, thanks for a soul searching post dandan, we all know by now how loyal you are to the club – sadly not many can match your faith.

I only react to what I see and hear and as a result I’m absolutely delighted with the signings we’ve made and make no apology for making that known before the deals were completed.

I’m pretty good now at sifting out the real possibilities from press talk and I was confident of getting these three.

If I can go against the spirit of your post, the Sahin question is a bit more of a grey area and may hinge on what transpires with the Song and JW situations. The club have bought before they have sold though and no-one can claim a lack of ambition this summer.

5. dandan says:

Chas: I agree that AA is far better than most and does indeed make an effort to diversify across the summer break, my post was aimed at the football media in general both electronic and printed. Having said that we do find ourselves joining in the navel gazing from time to time

6. Double98 says:

Norfolk – Given that we are linked to over 200 players so far this close season i would imagine that their is rarely smoke with fire.

song is replaceable… but don’t we have to make him captain first?

7. goonermichael says:

I think Song may be going. If it’s because Wenger wants him to commit now and he won’t which means he wants to avoid this crap next summer. Good on him. It’s obvious that there is an exciting shift in policy. i think there are good times ahead.

8. Gooner In Exile says:

A Double D post, football season must be approaching :) I’m off to have a read in a bit.

First off bit of travel advice, me and bro travelled to Everton away two seasons ago, it’s a long journey, but there is parking close to the ground, think we paid £5 to a local church/village hall sitting on Stanley Park. Goodison and Andield are literally just a walk across the park so no difference.

Lots of scallies about too. One ten year old lobbed chewing gum
    at my bro (but he was wearing red and white scarf standing in front of a mural on Evertons home stand. Right postage.

9. goonermichael says:

Haven’t been on here much for a while. Hope all is well with you dandan. Thanks for the post.

Not a criticism here dandan, but it made me ROLF very loudly after reading your post, and the first comment is “Song to Barca” :-)

11. goonermichael says:

Benik Afobe scored a hat trick last night

12. goonermichael says:

When it comes to rumours the rvp to manu is pissing me off.

13. Gooner In Exile says:

A fantastic read DD, like you I find myself waiting for a definite pronouncement before celebrating the signing or otherwise.

It is interesting to see what news is real news eventually but then so many names are thrown into the hat that one or two have to hit.

I am like you sidetracked by the Olympics, a young man named Greg Rutherford won his gold on Saturday and was last night co-commentating on Radio 5 with erudition and insight that most footballer pundits can’t get close to. It was analysis rather than critique. On top of that to see the sacrifices these Olympians make to get close to their dreams is a reminder who true sporting heroes are.

SPOTY will be interesting this year, I guarantee there will not be a footballer in the list.

Off to Tarkwondo finals this evening, have no idea what will happen I am genning up now on BBC3 should be fun whatever.

ROLF! – PMSL

This one’s for you, GIE.

Bit harsh GiE,
    Most Olympians have been educated!

17. Dandan says:

Me likewise Micky :-)

One for the ladeez.

19. goonermichael says:

I imagine you know this GIE but Rutherford’s Grandfather and great Grandfather played for Arsenal

20. goonermichael says:

What’s tarkwondo? :)

Duuno GM, but I bet the doped up chinese are good at it :-)

Tarka the otter joins Hogwarts?

23. evonne says:

Chas – Peaches to twist your hand?? Listen, she might not be able to tell an arm from a hand, but don’t push it, she’s not stupid

24. goonermichael says:

Mo is running now on bbc1

25. evonne says:

Dandan The Tower of Sanity :) Very well said, could not agree more. I like you dislike the rumours, speculations and plain lies. However, life is very boring without footy and in desperation I jump at any mention of the beloved and subsequently get dragged into the murky world of media fiction, horrible horrible horrible. The sooner the season starts the better

BTW – has anybody noticed that LB is not eating this summer? All his new garments are staying put in the wardrobe. The boy has learned his lesson :)

26. 26may1989 says:

Hear, hear, dandan. It is funny (and a little sad) that so many fans read the stock phrases (“X is connected with a move to Y”, “A is rumoured to be about to sign B” etc) and believe this is some sort of statement of fact, as if Wenger or any other manager would disclose so readily what their buying and selling plans were. And gullible fans then criticise the club when the rumoured signing doesn’t appear. Ridiculous.

The very fact that, as D98 says, we (just one club) have been “connected” with 200 players this summer shows just how much utter rubbish there is in all the rumours: most of it is not, and never was, true.

But (yup, there’s a but) Rasp makes a good point too. Playing the rumourmill is a black art practised by agents, tabloid journos, managers, owners and players. Stories and rumours are used to exert pressure on the club that doesn’t want to sell, the player delaying signing a contract or the manager under pressure. And then there’s the Barca favourite, of getting senior players in the squad to say “It’d be great if [Henry/Hleb/Overmars/Fabregas/Song/van Persie] joined the Barca Project.” As if that were anything other than tapping up.

It’s impossible to do reliably, but reading the tealeaves can be done to an extent, in order to identify where there might be something real. I don’t pretend it’s 100% reliable or anywhere close, but I read rumours using the following (and apols for stating the obvious):

1. Don’t believe Arsenal have signed or sold anyone until it appears on arse.com;

2. Don’t believe anything citing “a source close to” etc;

3. Read everything assuming initially that it’s been made up completely, or cobbled together from miscellaneous quotes, or is serving some other purpose than to tell a real story – it’s hard to believe I know, but journalists lie :) ;

4. Pay attention when there is a direct quote attributed to a manager or player – if it is repeated without being denied, it becomes even more trustworthy;

5. Look out for the more conservative places, like bbc.co.uk, The Guardian, The Telegraph – if they are talking about a player moving, there may be something real in it;

6. Look out for the journos with known Arsenal connections: eg, Amy Lawrence at The Guardian, The Daily Star (why, I don’t know, but we all know the club uses it);

7. Disregard certain obvious sources that are just there to circulate tittle-tattle (transfer tavern, goal.com etc) – there really can be smoke without fire on these places, so why pay them any attention?

27. El Dish Dash says:

Chas,

You are experiencedd man of arms legs and hends. Advice, pleasing.

I puts my back into chatting the female an she opens her mouth, pointies the tongue at me an says if i puts too much into bending the elbow she will knee me in groin. miy head thinks she has me rapped aroun her little finger but maybe she is just pulling miy legs. Anyway eez getting on my tits so i need you to open my eyes before i puts my foots in it an makes arse off myself.

helping please

28. goonermichael says:

point 5 the guardian and bbc print/post some rubbish at times

29. 26may1989 says:

Agreed GM, but the rate of publishing rubbish is (I reckon) lower than on other places. And they tend to come to rumours later than others, without playing the “exclusives” game. But yes, there’s plenty of crap on their websites too.

30. Blogger says:

Tend to agree overall with the Post.

I read every story about Arsenal been interested in players. I hope against hope the rumours are true specially the ones about great players. But not been totally stupid I am also cynical about most of them but reading anthing about the Arse in the close season suits me.

Don’t mean I complain about 197 of them not been true. Pleased about the 3 we got.

El Dish Dash,

Get on your hands, knees and boomps her daisy.
    Job done.

Believe them or not, like them or not – just imagine what a dull summer it would be without rumours.

The challenge is to simply treat them all as tongue in cheek, we are all intelligent enough to understand the source/s – or lack of.

33. In answer to the question, posed very eloquently by Dandan, as an alternative to rumour mills/blogs how about following the cricket test matches during the summer?

That Dale Steyn’s a bit of a useful bowler, eh ?

Yikes, apologies GiE, for my earlier “Bit harsh GiE, Most Olympians have been educated”
    Missed out “privately” in context of debate re sporting facilities.

Another thing dandan, is what would you do with the site recruiting team. I know its a bit of a hit and miss science, but without me, we wouldn’t have not got Oscar.

36. 26may1989 says:

Welcome back MickyDidIt89 – I didn’t like that “DidIt” phase you went through, far too street for my liking….

Most British Olympians are state educated (75%). The toffs (25%) are just over-represented, being only 7% of the population.

Oh, I do like a dipper joke.

Norfolk Gooner says:

August 8, 2012 at 9:41 am (Edit)

Chas,

If you’re going to Anfield the safest place to park is Sainsburys in Sunbury-on-Thames.

A man arrives at the gates of heaven, where St. Peter greets him and says: “Before I can let you enter I must ask you what you have done in your life that was particularly good.”

The man racks his brains for a few minutes and then admits to St Peter that he hasn’t done anything particularly good in his life.

“Well,” says St Peter, “have you done anything particularly brave in your life?”

“Yes, I have,” replies the man proudly.

St Peter asks the man to give an account of his bravery.

So the man explains, “I was refereeing this important match between Liverpool and Manchester United at Anfield. The score was 0-0 and there was only one more minute of play to go in the second half when I awarded a penalty against Liverpool at the Kop end.”

“Yes,” responded St Peter, “I agree that was a real act of bravery. Can you perhaps tell me when this took place?”

“Certainly,” the man replied, “about three minutes ago.”

St. Peter was manning the Pearly Gates when 40 Liverpool fans showed up. Never having seen anyone from Liverpool at heaven’s door, St. Peter said he would have to check with God. After hearing the news, God instructed him to admit the 10 most virtuous from the group.

A few minutes later, Saint Peter returned to God breathless and said, “They’re gone.”
    “What? All of the Liverpool fans are gone?” asked God.

“No” replied Saint Peter “The Pearly Gates!”

40. goonermichael says:

A teacher in Liverpool asked the class to put their hands up if they were Liverpool fans. Everyone raised their hands except little Johnny.
    Why don’t you raise your hand Johnny?
    Because I support Arsenal
    Why do you support Arsenal?
    My mum and dad come from North London and support Arsenal so i support Arsenal
    So what would you do if your dad was a junkie and your mum was a prostitute?
    i’d support Liverpool like you bunch of twats

NIce one dandan

The rumour-mongering is just comical now but, like Rasp, I think it’s possible to sift the wheat from the tons of chaff.

The only two players I have felt inclined to look up on YouTube this summer have been Cazorla and Sahin because both seemed to be real possibilities. We have since landed one and I suspect the other is a 50/50 chance.

As for the blog, I think the site’s impresarios, authors and contributors have done an amazing job of keeping AA interesting and entertaining all summer long without resorting to repeating transfer tittle tattle.

chas
    for all your contributions today… ROFLLMFAOPMSL

43. goonermichael says:

Can’t believe I’m watching showjumping

GM
    More to the point, I can’t believe you’re watching show jumping LMAO

45. goonermichael says:

Oh well. Never liked horses anyway

46. goonermichael says:

Especially if you overcook them

47. evonne says:

thank you guys, now I am really looking forward to going to Anfield and sitting amongst thieves, junkies and sexual perverts. Nice.

48. ..it’ll be just the same as being in the Tavern, pre match Evonne. ;)

49. evonne says:

Chary ?? I am not sure whom you meet at the Tavern, but I am usually accompanied there by successful businessmen and woman, artists, accountants, journalists, HR high fliers, a lawyer, war hero, comedian, creme de la creme me dear

“but I am usually accompanied there by successful businessmen and woman, artists, accountants, journalists, HR high fliers, a lawyer, war hero, comedian, creme de la creme”
    …..and chas :)

51. VCC says:

Chas….as a betting man have you seen Blue Sq giving 12-1 Arsenal for the perm, and with a £25 bet you get a free £25 bet = £50 on 12-1 = £600 winnings = simples

52. Ha ha Evonne, I was wondering which of the 3 categories of people in your 4.42pm you were going to include me in. :)

Sounds like a great bet, VCC.
    Unfortunately I’m not a betting man in the slightest.
    I don’t even bet a pound on first goalscorer.

Whichever gimp mask fits, chary. :)

55. VCC says:

Sorry Chas, I’m mixing you up with someone else on here that asked for a tip several weeks back, I thought it was you.

56. You get me pegged right there Chas, lol.

57. VCC says:

Sky reports van Persie on his way to the mancs for talks?????

Chary,
    Evonne clearly stated “at The Tavern”, not “on a bench opposite The Tavern” :-)

59. VCC says:

Didit 6:13 Lmao.

Okay, so now I can ROLF and LMAO, but what I really want to be able to write is the noise Mutley makes. Any suggestions?

61. evonne says:

Chas – no, you are the comedian :)

62. neamman says:

I dont think you are in the minority, we all know 90% of the trade rumours are made up to sell paers or acquire hits on websites. Until a contract is signed I ignore them.

Chas,
    That’s one of the great laughs of all time ROLF ROLF ROLF

65. 26may1989 says:

That can’t be right Chas, all the headlines hitting newsnow say van Persie is tying up a transfer to Man U tonight……

Nice to see Santos has mastered street.

66. Mdi89 @ 6.13pm- the Blackstock road bench is where it’s at…

That is quite funny.

The picture of Sir Robin taken in Germany this afternoon is a lie but the stories on NewsNow are factual.

68. evonne says:

LB – you are hilarious :) But actually, it is probably easier to create a CGI than to write a whole story :) Most kids (and Chas) can easily produce a picture of just about anything you want. Most of them (excluding Chas) cannot write. So :)

69. evonne says:

good night all

70. 26may1989 says:

Agreed LB – the photo makes dandan’s point perfectly.

71. 26may1989 says:

As expected, the direct quotes from Ferguson as published tonight on manutd.com tell a different story to the tabs:

“Ferguson appears to feel that the Gunners are reluctant to do business with United but retains hope that the transfer will go through.

“We have made a bid and they’ve been trying to negotiate with other clubs,” Ferguson said after his side’s pre-season friendly with Barcelona. “I don’t have a gut feeling on it at the moment, I must admit. We’re not getting any breakthrough with Arsenal.

“It’s difficult to say why they’re operating this way. I don’t know what their thoughts are because they’re not giving anything away.”

He added: “I can’t give you any more information. We just have to persevere. We are trying our best and hopefully it will come our way but there’s no progress at this moment in time.”

Deal done? Doesn’t sound like it, does it?

I know I am not always right but in an attempt to add my two cents of entertainment to the site I often purposely set myself up for a potential fall by taking a strong position one way or another. And with that in mind I say that the idea of manu really being interested in Van Persie is completely unbelievable; that’s to say it makes no sense at all.

73. 26may1989 says:

The idea of United signing van Persie doesn’t make a lot of sense, either for football reasons (RvP’s age and injury record, United’s weaknesses being in midfield and in defence) or finance reasons (the deal would cost United about £50m to £60m for a player who may, if they’re lucky, give them two full seasons, but even that may not be possible; they have substantial debts).

So why are they going for it? Specifically, why are the Glazers allowing their manager to go for such a deal?

Of course jealousy of City must be part of it, but I wonder if it’s also related to the Glazers’ current offering of United stock on the New York Stock Exchange. A few things come from the papers filed at the NYSE that should be noted but which will be missed by football journos: MUFC is massively overvalued in the offering (United are said to be worth twice as much as Real Madrid) and the stock being issued is therefore way over-priced (think of the Facebook offering a little while ago); despite it being ridiculously overpriced, the Glazers will hold onto 99% of the voting power, so whoever buys stock will have zero influence in the way the Glazers run the club; the papers filed at the NYSE confirm United have £437m of debt (thanks to the Glazers’ leveraged buy-out), and only half of the money raised at the NYSE will be used to reduce that, the remainder going to the Glazers

Glazers: “Thanks suckers, that’s another £218m in the bank for us.”.

This is taken from a story on Bloomberg: ‘To justify the IPO price, “you’d hope it would be a bit of a growth story,” Jenkinson, a professor of finance at the Said Business School, said in a telephone interview from Oxford, England. “The Glazers’ motivation is to create a vehicle whereby they can pay down the debt over time and extract money along the way, and by structuring it the way they do, maintain control. None of this strikes me as being particularly positive for the club.”’

My theory (which may be a conspiracy theory) is that the van Persie bid helps distract attention from the details of the NYSE offering, which look decidedly dodgy and just underline what rapacious owners the Glazers are. It will help keep the United diaspora on a bit of a high, as they try to nab one of the game’s best players from one rival and embarrass their uppity neighbours at the same time.

Ferguson has done an amazing job, keeping titles coming in while the club’s finances are slowly choked by the Glazers, but I can’t help thinking that what’s happening here is another trick being perpetrated by the Glazers on United fans.

74. 26may1989 says:

LB: snap!

It conjures an image of a man who has been very successful over the years but is starting to lose his wealth and influence, many of the reasons for which are beyond his control. So in an attempt to keep up appearances; that’s to say, give the impression that he is still wealthy and powerful, he makes it known to as many people as possible that he is going to buy something very, very expensive.

The problem is that no one really believes him anymore.

No way is Ferguson going to buy Van Persie.

76. 26may1989 says:

Hmmm, not sure LB. It would be very odd for United to do it, but with van Persie wanting lots of money and Ferguson and the Glazers wanting bling, perhaps it will happen.

77. oz gunner says:

Transfer gossip is woeful at best! It’s never right, but…It keeps me busy while the football isn’t on.

United seem to be running out of puff. They clearly do not have the appear/ money power that they used to have and because of it they will be on the downward spiral. They have been targeting 2 players all transfer window (lucas and RVP), one has just signed for PSG and they will never get RVP. As 26 and LB have said above Man united are on the decline, and the quicker it happens the funnier it’ll be for the rest of us.

They should stop worrying about attackers and start focusing on midfielders. To rely on Anderson and Fletcher for the defensive midfield position is fraught with danger. Anderson can never get on the pitch, and Fletcher is crook (bit of Karma for fouling players constantly and never getting carded).

Gibbs and scholes can’t play forever, and their youth jump ship due to lack of playing time.

78. 26may1989 says:

Just to back up that theory about Fergie worrying about being on the wane, perhaps the most significant events at OT recently have been the departures, despite Fergie’s efforts, of two talented youngsters, Paul Pogba and Ezekiel Fryers. Can’t be good for the ego when two bright talents feel they’d be better off at Juve and Spurs.

79. oz gunner says:

agreed 26. Manu don’t have that youth set up to compensate for reduced spending like we do. Perhaps they can coax a few more people out of retirement and chuck them in whenever they please. Every other team has to use the correct system (Arsenal with Henry), yet Scholes can play whenever he wants

“Man united are on the decline, and the quicker it happens the funnier it’ll be for the rest of us.”

Nice one Oz.

81. Blogger says:

Thanking u Chas for hends knees und boomps her daisy. It working.

What is vid. what are they doings with pepper pot marksing numbers. tune good

82. evonne says:

for one moment I thought it was DB lifting a trophy and as usual was ready to claim The Jam as ours :)

Blogger,
    Exercising bingo wings is British national pastime.
    Very important, should be in Olympics.

84. Blogger says:

Chas exercise dog, ja I know but exercise bingo wings you are pulling the plonk .. no?

Morning all,
    On The Brave One. I can understand flogging a player to City for more than he (or she, in the case of Nasri) is worth, but I cannot see us selling the leagues top scorer to our nearest rival (looking up, of course).This is to say nothing of the fact that I don’t believe that Utd have the money to make the kind of silly offer that would be acceptable.
    As 26 points out, they are way over priced on the NYSE, as wel as the offer being solely for the benefit of the Glazier family.
    Simply put, Juve or City yes, Utd complete madness.

86. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Evening all

Can anyone advise me as to:-

If Song goes, does that mean RvP would stay.

I’ve got all The Jam picture sleeves 7″ & 12″ :)

Some dig allotment for massive tricep, others use pepper pot technik.

88. evonne says:

Morning Gnarley – but I bet you don’t have your grandmother’s dentures

Evonne,
    He uses them every day for crimping pies.

90. gnarleygeorge9 says:

evonne I’ve got my grandads bayonet from WWI :shock:

91. gnarleygeorge9 says:

…..anyway, RvP/Song anyone?

Ah, Brighton Pier, happy memories

93. evonne says:

Gnarley – do you? Wow, that is impressive. GM has his nan’s teeth, but no bayonet. You win :)

I cannot see either Song or RvP going; with 9 days to go, there are no firm offers. ManU are the only contenders that actually need Robin, but cannot afford him, so he might stay, cannot get extatic about it

Gnarley,
    Me thinks its all up in the air. Some book balancing needs to be done imo. Shifting Bendy etc would have helped, and maybe The Brave One’s options are limited. Can’t see us holding on to everyone.

Morning all,

I see the likelihood of Song leaving is increasing. I have been predicting this since the start of last season. I am delighted that the club is losing patience with players who want to let their contracts go into the last year to maximise their wage demands from a new employer and reduce our income from the sale.

If they don’t sign with two years to go, sell them and get the most we can – and if this summer is anything to go by, bring in their replacement first to reduce their bargaining power.

Koz has done what Song is refusing to do – at least we know we’ll get maximum effort out of him.

Evonne,
    I might not like Brave, but going into the season with him, Pod, Giroud and Santi would be quite a line up.

97. evonne says:

Micky – I know, I know, I know. But his integrity is questionable and I suspect he would not last injury free another season.
    And if he stays will he keep the band????!!! NO!

98. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Cheers evonne/MDI89. Title on its way then :twisted:

99. evonne says:

captain’s armband not brass band, course

100. evonne says:

hm Micky, he shouldn’t. That would give a wrong message to the others

101. Gooner In Exile says:

Has been a very funny read through the comments this morning laced with a few gems of insight on the United IPO.

The Tarkwondo was really good fun, for those that questioned what Tarkwondo is its a Martial Arts for Otters. ;)

Seriously though the Taekwondo was brilliant so quick and quite violent at times. There was also a demonstration team which were crazy to watch….flying 6ft+ into the air to smash boards etc.

102. Gooner In Exile says:

ROFLMFAO

Ferguson:

“”When somebody’s paying 45 million euros (£35.5m) for a 19-year-old boy you have to say the game’s gone mad. I find it quite amazing.””

Erm in 2004 you paid £25.6m for Wayne Rooney (who was 19). Short memory red nose a few less whiskeys will help.

GiE,
    “Martial Arts for Otters”…double ROFL

104. Blogger says:

Chas you say pepper pot technik, you speak German nicht war? lol

BTW ven doing ze hends knees und boomps her daisy I get big boomps on my head first time. then I make her face other way und no head boomps. sehr gut.
    Such technik must be learned, ja?

105. GiE – I was thinking exactly that when I heard ‘ole bacon faces ineptly formed explanation for why the Brave one hadn’t signed for the Salford Red Sox already.

Morning all, another touch of nostalgia from Herb for today’s ……

……….. New post ……….