Observations on Arsenal’s Asian Trip

First off, let me say I am most encouraged by the way everyone went for goal. Wenger always says he likes everyone in his team to score, and it seems they are really taking it to heart. Is it just for pre season, or is it really a new attitude?  I hope it continues into the regular season. I sometimes wonder if our guys are a little gun- shy, because we think everything has to go through van Persie. It can be intimidating, especially to the younger players, even to his friend Theo.

I am concerned about the defense, with good reason – from the way we played the last 2 matches, and the goals conceded last season. I have faith in our central defenders, but really hope the wide players can be better than they have shown. I don’t expect any signings in those positions. Coquelin may be used there while Sagna recovers, and if we are nursing a lead in a match, I’d consider moving Koscielny there to bring in another defender. But most of all, we need to help defend as a team, it’s always said by Arsene and other coaches, but our team really is guilty of forgetting this more than most. We work very hard for our goals, and seem to allow the easiest against at times.

On to the positives. Where to begin? Let me start with my favourite subject, Theo Walcott. I felt like I was watching a different player. More aggressive, scoring minded. I’m not used to seeing him drift into the middle and shoot from distance, and it looked good. He even attempted a header ! Maybe it is time to let him have his wish and start slowly converting him to striker. Of course it depends who stays, goes, and comes in. But Theo as third or fourth choice striker can’t be much worse than what we are getting there, and has a great upside potential, as well as making him happy.

Gervinho looked great, like I remember from the beginning of last season, since we know he can do it, I wont assume it’s because of weak Kitchee defense. But although he made a great pass at one point, he should have taken a strong shot instead…. still needs to attack the goal more.

I’m assuming Ryo will go on loan again, but I liked how he helped out alot on defense. great sign from a young player. Owen Coyle may have helped a little there.

The OX looked fantastic- more than just ball skills, he picked out great passes forward, long ones, and showed great touch and vision.

Our boy Jenkinson made a couple big mistakes defensively, but I loved his shots on goal, and he is a gifted crosser.. I think that’s why Arsene plucked him, not just a bargain.

Yennaris looks like a battler, I do like what I have seen from Ignassi Miquel when he has played. I havent seen enough of Bartley, obviously. Santos, I like, but he must be more dedicated to defense. But I like his attacks also. He must remember, he CAN do both. Gibbs, never seems to impress me either way. I hope he can show us soon.

And, I just have a feeling about this Eisfeld. Not because he had a couple goals, it’s a little intangible yet. But we will see.

I’m sure I left some things out.

jnyc

90 Responses to Observations on Arsenal’s Asian Trip

Hi Johnnie,
    Brilliant, particularly as I just posted this comment about me not seeing the game:
    “I think this may fall on deaf ears, but in the Kitchee game yesterday, which I didn”t see, we started with Ryo, Theo, Cham AND Ox.
    Ox in midfield? Did he play central? Anyone?”

2. we are in desperate need of a left back i may be alone in this but I dont think Gibbs is good enough his lack of positional sense always catches us out. You can tell he is a converted winger. Ox playing central midfield works for me and in a few years i can see him being the AM we have been crying out for to replace Cesc. I liked the look of some of the youngsters though but we need a stronger number 2 in goal to keep ches on his toes

Depressed Moose, hi.
    I am getting increasingly excited by the new season. Strong rumours about Sahin and Cazorla persist, and to my mind, we would be all set. Then you throw in some spanners about our defence, whereas I am all geared up for the “score one more than you” philosophy :-)

Changing tack alot, I’ll leave you all with one thought before I do work. We all know about the desperate financial situation in Spain, and in particular, the close association between the Banks and Real Madrid. Therefore, can they afford the £30m Spurs are asking for Modric?

5. anto says:

agree about the left back situation.its the week link in defence

6. anto says:

weak even

7. Reddawn says:

I believe Coquelin and Santos would be our best defencive set-up while Sagna is out of action.

Good summing up jync, agree with pretty much all, especially with what seemed like a collective desire to score, demonstrated best for me by the amount of shots from distance, where I slightly differ is that I was impressed with Gibbs in the game against the Malaysian XI.

Hmmm, thinking about it I wasn’t very impressed with the defending of both Gibbs and Jenkinson in the game against City.

10. henrychan - indonesia says:

At least we know our team better..
    Chamakh, Miquel and Fabianski were very avarage..
    Djourou and Gibbs under performed..
    Eisfeld and Bartley were awsome.. must join first team..
    Ox and Gervinho is good.. the rest still okay..

Pity we can’t see our news signing..
    hope both Giroud and Podolski will soon fit with all the team..
    Go Gunners..

11. Dick Swiveller says:

I’ve been happy with Gibbs, Moose. He’s not perfect positionally but his pace and energy helps him get away with it, I’ve noted a large amount of the goals being created on the right of our defence rather than the left this pre-season so I’d be more worried about Jenkinson, the kid has a bright future here but his positioning is still a little wonky and gets drawn away from where he should be far too easily, playing next to Bartley probably doesn’t help as neither has much experience so I’m sanguine-ish about Jenko starting with Koscielny next to him.

Eisfeld is in the right place at the right time, he makes space in the box so well and gets his shot off nice and early, as le Boss said, that can’t be taught and is a skill so many of our players seem to lack.

12. glic says:

Thanks johnnie
    I only saw yesterdays game and the most impressive player was Gerv` when he came on. I dont read too much into these warm up friendlies, if I did, I would be having kittens at the way we were out performed in the 1st half.

Micky
    I`m shocked you think our stadium is shite ( @ 8:50am ) !.
    I`m not a world traveller like a few on here, so I have only had my breath taken away twice, once on top of Catbells ( Lake District ) looking down on Derwentwater, the second time was walking out at the top of the Emirates . I felt so proud, the view gets me every time.
    I dont even wear rose tints . I suggest you go and visit SpecSavers !. :)

Thanks for the excellent analysis jnyc, I share your concerns about the defence. There is no sign that SB has made any difference to our defensive play yet. I do hope AW will allow him to exert his influence in training.

I’d definitely play Coquelin at RB before Jenks, he’s just a better all round footballer at this stage. Jenkinson still gives the ball away too cheaply on occasion and too many of his crosses just hit the nearest defender at the moment. No doubt he’ll keep improving but he’s not a starter in my book.

The player who has really impressed me is Eisfeld. This lad looks like a real find. He is a true attacking MF with 2 good feet, an eye for goal, can play wengerball and makes great runs off the ball. I’d have him on the bench every game next season and not be afraid to bring off one of the more establish MF’s if they’re having a bad game.

Oh and on a separate note, what’s all this nonsense about the Pod and Giroud not being ready for the start of the season? – can anyone tell me if that came from the club or AW.

We sure as well didn’t have players ready for the start of last season – we hadn’t even signed them! Pod and Giroud both played full seasons for their clubs, how can they not be ready to play for Arsenal?

15. Norfolk Gooner says:

Rasp,

It seems Wenger was the source of the Podrou story as well as the one about Wilshire not being fit before October.

Nice post John, I’ve watched all of our pre-season games and the young players have really impressed – AW has a great eye for talent.

Here’s some news on our not so young or great players.

…………………………………………………………………………………

Arshavin could stay at Gunners

Monday 30th July 2012 11:46
    Arsene Wenger is to hold talks with Andrey Arshavin to decide whether the Russian has a future at Arsenal, but three players are set to leave.

Forward Arshavin spent the second half of last season on loan at former side Zenit St Petersburg after coming in for criticism from fans at Emirates Stadium.

It was expected Arshavin, a £15million winter 2009 signing, would be sold this summer in order to fund further incoming players on top of the likes of Olivier Giroud and Lukas Podolski.

But manager Wenger has not ruled out the prospect of keeping the 31-year-old, who played well amid Russia’s disappointing Euro 2012 campaign.

“Arshavin, it depends. We have to sit together and have talks. He could still have a future at the club,” said Wenger in the Daily Mail.

The discussions could take place this week, with Arsenal having returned from their pre-season friendlies in the Far East, which did not include Arshavin.

Another item on Wenger’s agenda after flying back to the UK will be the futures of Nicklas Bendtner, Sebastien Squillaci and Park Chu-Young, who have all been deemed surplus to requirements.

Bendtner spent all of last season on loan at Sunderland and has been linked with Malaga and Galatasaray, while Squillaci and Park have failed to impress since their respective arrivals in August 2010 and 2011.

“Bendtner, Squillaci and Park will be on their way to go somewhere,” said Wenger.

17. Norfolk Gooner says:

All this adds to my belief that the Asian tour was a load of money-making b******s. We should have stuck with a training camp in Austria where all the players could have participated in some sensible pre-season training instead of swanning around the far east.

Money talks !

Thanks for the post, johnnie. I’m yet to watch the pre-season games.
    It’ll be excellent if Theo and Gervinho can provide a greater threat from the wings this season.

Rasp,
    I posted a comment at 6:05 yesterday evening on GN5’s post and it went into moderation because of too many links I presume.
    I just wanted to let GN5 know that I appreciated his post yesterday, especially the stats that was all.

Thanks Chas.

20. TotAl says:

Thanks for the post Johnnie. :)

I really enjoyed the games against Malaysia and the Oilers, and the game yesterday was not too bad either.

I had two pre-season worries: our defence/ collective defensive play and our left side. Both Gibbs and Gervinho have really impressed me on the left, so I am now only worried about the former.

WIthout the likes of Sagna (injured), Koz, BFG, and Ramsey at the last three matches, and Arteta regaining fitness after a lay-off, it is very hard to tell how strong we are defensively. But conceding 5 goals in three games, with not a single clean sheet, is not encouraging.

The big pluses for me where Diaby’s performances; Song, Vermaelen, Gibbs, Gervinho all ready to rock; Eis-Eis-Baby’s performances (the new, young Cesc?!); and the Ox and Coquelin also look like getting closer to the core 11-18 players. Also really liked what I saw of Yennaris and Aneke is also promising.

And dare I say it, we actually played some of our best football when Chamakh was playing in the holding striker position. I know that RA will violently agree with me on this one! ;)

If Arsene makes TV our captain, it means he will play him as a starter in most games, and both BFG and Koz are too good to be left out. As long as Sagna is injured, this does not need to be problem ans Koz can be a good RB.

On the basis of what I have seen, I reckon our first-11 at the start of the season will be (4-5-1):

Sz-Koz-BFG-TV-Gibbs
    Theo-Diaby-Song-Arteta-Gervinho
    —————-Giroud——————

With JD, Santos, Coq, The Ox, The Pod, Rambo, Jenkinson as part of our wider core. Cazorla would be a welcome addition.

Oi GliC,
    I did say how much I liked the roundiness of the place, and the shiny bits. Its just not a good Footballing Arena that creates an intimidating atmosphere. Why the huge gap between fans and goals at the ends?
    I do think it looks sensational and impressive from the outside.

From all the comments, Eisfeld does sound very very exciting. If we do land the two rumoured players, then I really think we can overhaul Utd, and then, who knows.

23. Bryan says:

I think we have shown that we have a lot of talented players in our squad.
    It would of been nice to keep a clean sheet, but as has been said, we can all judge better when we have the complete defense playing.

Total
    the one thing I dissagree with you on is playing Kos as a RB, for me he always looks like a player playing out of position as does Verm when playing LB.
    I’d prefer us to play Coquelin or Yennaris there

Greetings johnnie, and thanks for the post.

There were a lot of pluses but the best thing for me was seing Diaby come through unscathed. When fit he is a formidable player and could have a big impact this season.

Ime not overly concerned about our defence. This will all be sorted out in the next few weeks and we will start the season with a strong and confident team. Not expecting to set the world alight at the beggining, just to be in toutching distance of the leaders. Come October we should realy start to push on and dont be surprised to see us as the in form team at that stage. City and Utd will pick up a lot of points to so it should be nip and tuck. March will be the crucial period, juggling champions league and any other commitments with our expected title push. If Arsene can strike the right balance between all competions we should at that stage be favourites for the league and go on and win it.

You’re such a Doomer Terry :-)

26. Norfolk Gooner says:

TMHC,

I like your optimism, the worry for me is certainly the defence, at least until Sagna is fully fit. Jenkinson is way below par as a defender. I agree with Bryan that playing centre backs out of position is not the answer nor, unfortunately, is putting very inexperienced players like Coquelin and Yennaris in the firing line, unless they are instructed to stay back and defend, leaving the attacking to the midfield and strikers.

Perhaps Bouldy will have some influence defence as, but really Arsene’s blind spot where the defence is concerned needs addressing.

Perhaps his new specs will enable him to see clearly the shortcomings at both left and right back in the absence of the excellent Sagna.

27. Norfolk Gooner says:

Sorry! delete “defence as”.

Sir Micky, yeah i know, realy need to snap out of this depression. hahaha

Norfolk, i agree, there is a lot of inexperience there,especialy at full back. Last season however Utd were edged out for the league ammassing a lot of points on the way with a lot of inexperienced defenders and without a genuine holding midfield player. i see no reason why we cant emulate and indeed exceed there performance. We have a very strong squad that can only improve. I expect us to go very close and with a bit of luck win the league.

29. Rob Lucci says:

Hi everyone..

I think you know that Man City will have a friendly against Malaysian XI tomorrow. You know what the sad thing is?

They were giving the ticket for free at the last minute to make up the numbers. Yep, for free.

More than 25000 people would rather watch a Carling Cup Arsenal team than a Man City team that include the likes of Aguero, Yaya Toure, Vincent Company, Carlos Tevez, Kolo Toure, and Zabaleta.

Strange isn’t it?

Seems to make perfect sense to me, Rob. :)

31. TotAl says:

Hi Bryan, neither Coquelin or Yennaris are proper RB’s either – both are more comfortable in midfield. But I get your point re Koz.

I just cannot see Wenger leaving either Koz or Mertesacker on the bench for a long period. As a captain, TV is a given, although, personally, I would give Koz the armband. The Frenchman possesses better organisational skills and TV really needs somebody next to him who guards defensive discipline and looks after the organisational/formation stuff of the team. Mertesacker can only do CB, which leaves either Koz or TV as an FB. Koz on the right, with intelligent cover by Mertesacker, would work ok for me.

But lets hope Jenkinson will claim the RB position in the next few weeks and Wenger can manage the CB dilemma to everybody’s satisfaction.

32. Rob Lucci says:

Chas,

The game is tonight actually. What were they thinking? 1 FA cup and 1 Epl cup and they think they can attract a fans over here? pffftt!!

Now even when it comes to tour Man City want to copy Arsenal. Dumbass..

33. TotAl says:

Rob, in the end they will pay you to get into the stadium, and you’ll be handed a free shirt! :)

34. Bryan says:

Hi Total

Your right about Coquelin playing LB or RB not being his natural position but from what I saw last year, you wouldn’t know that & I can’t say to much about Yennaris as don’t know enough about him but he certainly impressed me when he played there.

I think rotation with the CB’s is probably the answer as all seem to like an injury & maybe tactical playing time could come into it.
    When we have a fast attacker to defend against we don’t play
    Mert but when we need a big man to mark a big man then he plays.

As for the captain, I can’t help but think anyone we give the captains armband will be off in a season or two,captians band is doomed, doomed I tell you :-)

Lads, lads, lads,
    The solution to the defensve woes of our FB’s in terms of a repeat of last term’s injury crisis is simple….go 3-5-2 should it crop up :-)

Verm and Kos would be happy as they wouldn’t have to budge up too much. The Big German would be happy as he’d get to play and, most importantly, I’d be happy because I’m a bit like that I am :-)

37. TotAl says:

Hi Bryan,

I agree with you he did well at RB.

I saw Yennaris play in the reserves against Norwich last season. He played in midfield and was fantastic. I was told he started off as a striker, and he can play pretty much anywhere. He has a good first touch, quick thinker, great engine and athletic, good passer of the ball and he has got thrust.

Rotation is a solution but the central defensive triangle of GK + 2CB’s should be left alone as much as possible in order to establish consistency. You are right though about the proneness to injury of our Belgium, German, Swiss and French CB’s.

38. TotAl says:

Micky, that is simply the best solution. I cannae argue against that! :)

You’re a bit like me, like that, Total :-)

I’ve just been reading the Angry of Islington blog (not really worth it if you were wondering) and a commenter posted this which always makes me laugh.

61, and never again

It also reminded me of this T shirt below.
    When these were on sale in The Rocket my brothers and me bought one. A comment was made when we were ten points behind the spuddies last season, that it was all the fault of those bloody T shirts.
    Anyway, I ceremonially burnt mine at the end of January and the curse was lifted.
    (I still haven’t learnt not to take the piss, though :) )

It would have the added bonus of allowing Pod and Gir to play closer together, and they’d like that too.
    Everybody happy.

42. Rob Lucci says:

Total :-)

Chas,
    Connected to nothing, other than the mention of T-shirts, I was at a music festival the other weekend where we saw one of the fattest men I’ve ever seen. His T-shirt read: “FAT people are harder to take hostage” :-)

Haha, Micky

Sorry about the double post. I tried to post a comment about six times but WordPress was acting like a spuds supporter.

46. TotAl says:

Micky, Chas :) :)

47. glic says:

Micky
    You really are pushing it !
    ” Why the huge gap between fans and goals at the ends? “.
    Why you such a sirry irriot, It`s so that Sir Chesney can get a long run up for his goal kicks !.

48. JM says:

Without Sagna & an average LB, we could switch to a 3-4-1-2. (with a sweeper/CB, 2x stoppers/CB, 2 WBs – Coquelin & Santos/Gibbs)

————Szczesny————
    ———–Mertesacker———
    –Koscielny——Vermaelen–
    -Coquelin-Song-Arteta-Santos-
    ————-Podolski————
    ——–Giroud—-Walcott——

With Gervinho/Walcott, Santos/Gibbs, Diaby, Ramsey, Djourou, AoC, Jenkinson among the subs.

Using the above, we would have at least 7 (8, if adding the GK) players defending & 7 players attacking at any given transition period.

49. JM says:

Off-topic:

Manchester United have announced a new seven-year sponsorship deal with US car giant General Motors.

The deal announced will see Chevrolet, which is already the club’s official car partner, will become only the club’s fifth shirt sponsor in their history.

The value of the agreement, which will commence in 2014, remains undisclosed but is thought to be in excess of the current £20 million a year deal with Aon.

hahahahaha, it is true, fat men are harder to take hostage. Plus they last longer when deprived of food.

51. glic says:

Also, if your gunner crash in the remotest part of the Himalayas, your gunner want the fattest guy there, so you dont end up Hank Marvin, It`s a bonus if fat guy has a fat wife.

52. glic says:

PS
    It`s also quite possible that Mr & Mrs Fat guy will have some little Fat F**kers with them aswell .
    No wonder the plane F**king crashed with the Fat F**ker family on board !.

Nice Post Johnnie
    I haven’t seen any of the performances on our tour and I’m not the slightest bit bothered by any perceived failings in the team.

It’s totally different when the real stuff starts.

It’s encouraging to hear about players like Eisfeld (with Wilshere coming back who-knows-when we could definitely do with another creative AM).

And I wouldn’t worry too much about Cpl Jenks. With first choice CBs beside him and with Stevie Bould’s words ringing in his ears he’ll be just fine.

54. johnnie nyc says:

hi everybody, i think we mostly agree. i just remembered, Im also happy Diaby played twice without incident. I’ve been watching some of his playing from a couple years ago on arsenal tv- he is a quality player. he also gave a neat little assist to walcott yesterday. :-)

But i really hope we continue with everybody contributing scoring attempts. We do seem more direct. I dont want us to start over passing around the box when the matches count.

Am I alone on this? Every time I watch an Olympic Medal Ceremony, I expect to see John Terry collecting the Gold.

56. johnnie nyc says:

yes, i really feel sorry for them..hehe — they are like spoiled children over there. i hope some unhappiness and off the pitch stuff can distract them just enough this season..

57. TotAl says:

Johnnie – it is lovely to see that the good old fashion law of diminishing returns still applies! :)

Good Morning,

An early start for me, see what us Accountants do for you? hahaha. Any way, before i make the lonely trek to the office i want to thank TA for his City link above and just give you some updated thoughts on FFP.

If you wish to know about City, just read TA’s link above, but i wish to talk specifcaly about Chelsea. are they complying with FFP? The Blue pretenders have just bought Marin, Oscar, and Hazard for a reported £60 million, so whats going on?

The pretenders strategy goes something like this.

1) New stadium, to increase revenue
    2) Enhance there acedemy, producing more young players
    3) Flog deadwood and older players thereby reducing wages

Now for the realy interesting bit

4) Purchase young players on long contracts, like the 3 mentioned above and spread the cost of thease players over the life of there contracts and at the same time ensuring they have resale vaule.

Three things stand out about point (4) above. Firstly Chelsea are moving away from buying established stars, they are not interested in RVP, and they have just lost Drogba. Secondly buying young players, what ever there reputation is risky, if you want evidence of this just ask Arsenal fans.Thirdly, since Abramovitch arrived at Chelsea they have never realy had to sell players who hold significant vaule. This will change, and they will be faced with the similar problem as City, they are just at a different “Cycle” to there Northern friends, that is all.

For those who still think that FFP will “Not Work”, i politely ask to stop thinking in those terms. View FFP as a compromise between Europes top clubs, ignore Uefa, FFP is at the instigation of the top clubs, they have the political muscle and hence it is they who run the show not Mr Platini and his friends.

With this been said now consider how FFP will affect City and Chelsea on the pitch, now, and in the future, and how it will allow there rivals to compete.

City and Chelsea are not going away. They have turned the football climate and 100 years of football history on its head, but now they have turned the head its time for them to start scratching it

Despite years of abuse and lack of silverware, Arsenel have kept there nerve and councel. Its time to start reaping the benefits. Arsenal are a much bigger club than both City and Chelsea and our strategy of increasing revenues across the world will gaurantee that we take take our place amonst the biggest clubs in the world.

I like the Bible, i read it now again to repent my many sins (and then unfortunitly sin again hahaha). i particulary like “You reap what you sow”, and, “Have faith and you will be rewarded”.

I vote Terry’s comment is removed and used for today’s post.

If Bouldy came in and the defence was sorted in the first couple of games, we’d all be thinking surely it couldn’t be that easy. We’d be right, too.
    I wonder how many hours GG put in practising defensive drills before it started to become second nature to Bouldy and his fellow guardians of clean sheets.

I vote for Chas’ comment of 6:10

Hi Chas,
    Do Stevie B’s teams have a history of good defences? Genuine question.
    I gather Chelsea are about to sign Hulk and Moses.

I haven’t got a clue, Micky.
    I’d guess the answer is ‘no’ since he has been following AW’s ‘keep possession and the opposition can’t score’ philosophy which is fine……..until you lose possession. :)

Total,
    Interesting article.
    We are in a similar position to City in terms of shifting the deadwood that we have tied onto crazy person wages.

Chas,
    If the answer is “No”, I suggest we sign a specialized defensive coach.

Great clip Chas :-)

Moses and Hulk sounds like some childrens’ TV show.
    It makes you wonder how big Dogbra’s wages were because shifting him has freed up an awful lot of money. Perhaps the same will happen when Squiddly leaves.

It’s difficult to know what’s going through Abramovich’s mind. Perhaps the spawny CL win has been like a massive blast of crack in the poor billionaire’s nervous system. Now he’s pawned off half of his navy to buy another hit.

Ah but, Micky, Bouldy has been suppressing his defensive genius while he learnt from Yoda.

Despite a great comment from Terry, I see no evidence of Chelsea complying with FFP. Drogba has gone for one last massive pay day after achieving everything at Chelsea, and they are buying at an increasing rate.

Who the hell is Yoda?

If you’re just going to talk serious West country common sense, Micky, I’m off. :)

No really I am off but because I’ve got to keep up my get fit routine while I’m still enjoying it.

Yoda in graphical form.

I have to say that I don’t believe for one moment that Stevie Bould is there to sort out the defence. Pat Rice was a defender. I believe Stevie Bould is there to say “yes” to AW and then to nod sagely, as I genuinely believe AW is a control freak. Nice bloke and all, but delegating? Nahh

Oh well, best be off too.

Morning, Sir Micky & Chas

Chelsea have a plan, and its a very good one. Its not that FFP is not working its just that there strategy has changed to accomodate it.

The first thing to say is that there is a particular line in FFP within the FFP rules which is very powerful which can be intrepeted as thus. “If clubs can show that they are making every effort to breakeven they will not be punnished, despite still making losses past the time limits set by Uefa”

Chelseas long term plan is to buy young spreading the cost of contracts over long periods and eventuly filling the gap of money in and money out by increasing revenues from there new stadium, tv deals, enhancing there brand etc. Its very astute, and should keep them competitive until they come close to breakeven.

What it wont do however is give them the enormous advantage they had back in 2005 or what City have at present. its also very risky in that if the youngsters dont perform or they canot secure there proposed stadium move they will have to rethink the whole thing. They also have to replace the likes of Fat Frank (hard to take hostage hahaha) John Terry (needs some of Peles erectile dysfunction advice), or the henious Ashley cole.

Ime very satisfied with FFP, and its just the beggining. Those clubs with solid foundations will wether its storm, and those simply built on cash will have to accomodate it and will almost certainly suffer were it matters, on the pitch.

Just got to the gym.

Stevie Bould is the new ‘yes’ man. Eeeek.
    What a horrible thought.
    I prefer to believe in things which give me some hope and make me happy.
    Poor deluded fool.

I second Chas’ suggestion that Terry’s post be used for better things: it really is a good comment.

When it comes to the FFP Terry is the go to guy.

It is a tad early to be this harsh to SB; we haven’t even seen the first team defence play yet.

Hi LB,
    I’m not being harsh on Stevie Bould. I was saying that I think AW is something of a control freak and is not a delegating type. No big deal.
    I do believe the defence will improve naturally through consistency of personnel more than anything.

Maybe I should back up these comments by stressing that I am not bothered in the slightest by our defence.
    We came third last season (very good) while shipping 49. This on top of hardly ever playing the same back five. Things will naturally get better.
    Also, assuming we stiffen the defensive side of our midfield, the boys at the back should have more protection.
    I think it is nothing more than blog talk and wishful thinking that just because SB was a defender, and we perceive a weakness there, that he has been brought in to address this specifically.
    I am probably wrong, just not really bothered either way.
    As I said yesterday, far happier scoring one more than them. Which we will :-)

If the defence had performed impeccably in recent games would we doubt that the responsibility for the defensive formation had been delegated to Steve Bould?

We need a new topic. See you later.

We need a new topic, but I’m sure as hell not going to suggest one. See you later.

84. Morning all……

…… New post ……..

85. Our defence improves every year, with Bold now stepping up to assistant manager I’m sure we’ll see a change, don’t forget we were without our first choice full backs for the majority of last season, if everyone stays fit then there will be great improvement.

86. 16910 132439bless you with regard to the particular blog post ive really been looking with regard to this kind of advice on the net for sum time these days hence with thanks 454995

87. finally go one that suits my search for the blogs for best articles thank you so much

88. i wonder really amazing blog