Will Arsenal Prove van Persie Wrong?

At the time you read this, some events may have overtaken it, and I truly hope that is the case. Names in, or names out, either would make me feel good. Like most of you, one of the first things I do each day is check the news about Arsenal. Again, like last summer, this is not a normal transfer season. For me, it’s filled with anxiety, partly because of the betrayal of Van Persie.

But I have to be honest, we can’t blame it all on the RvP situation. To me, we as a club have something to prove, and I don’t mean on the pitch.

When I say we have something to prove, it is to people like van Persie and Na$ri, but also our competitors, media, and football watchers everywhere. You’ve heard the phrases, “big club”, “small club”, etc. Trust me, I am not just talking about spending, I don’t expect us to splash 30 mil on a Hazard or Benzema. It’s about how the club does business in general.

At the close of last season, we were all hopeful of keeping RvP, and watching him end up as an Arsenal great. And I personally was hoping to see a couple moves by the club to strengthen.

I like the early Podolski move. I think he was meant as a more aggressive scoring winger, and RvP back up. After that, I didn’t want to fixate on any specific players, because I see that Arsene is less likely to go for the names thrown around in rumours and the press.

My biggest fear is that RvP was right, and that the team is unwilling, or unable to add some quality to put us over the top. Would we have paid for Giroud if RvP extended with us? I doubt it. But, you see, that’s the point. Giroud is exactly the kind of player a club with ambition would want as another option to mix in or use creatively with RvP. Not inexpensive, but if you are an attacking team, serious about challenging for titles, with an injury prone striker- you should expect an addition like this.

We all envisioned ways of using van Persie with Giroud and Podolski. Let’s face it, it’s less exciting without RvP. On top of that, we don’t know if the club was ever considering us having both.. We will get the answer to this– it WILL BE in the price and destination of RvP, or if he were to stay. I am on record here that keeping him rather than taking a low offer shows everyone that we are not sellers desperate for money, and that the club and Arsene make decisions, not disloyal players.

I worry that we are not closing deals coming in because we are on hold because of RvP’s status. Either we don’t intend to strengthen, or we can’t afford it. That would be bad news for a club of our size. If there is a quality player available, that would improve our line up, or strengthen our depth over the long season, we should be able to do it without selling our biggest players. It appeared we needed to sell Cesc last season before adding Mertesacker, Arteta, and Santos. I considered Gervinho as Nasri’s replacement and profit, so i was satisfied with that.

Just look at our starters at Old Trafford last season. There will always be injuries, of course, but also bans, the annoying African cup of nations, and who knows what else. We already know that we have very important players who will not be ready at the start of this season, like Jack, Sagna, and Rosicky, and he is dealing with an Achilles ! They will all have to be worked in slowly and carefully, for their future health, and the good of the team. I won’t even mention the perennially injured players by name, because I am wishing good luck for them.

For example,Coquelin will be needed at RB at times, so we are not that deep in DM. If we brought in a quality DM, it would free up Arteta to help out in more advanced areas, and get him the rest he needs also. Song would be free to sit out the occasional suspension, ACON, -and again, — I dont want to worry about him refusing to sign an extension this season, he already said no last season, so it would be nice to have someone in place rather than scrambling at the last moment.

Up front, there’s too much to discuss, with Theo, RvP unresolved, and all the rumours going around. Again, let’s keep some pressure off Wilshere and Ramsey. Wilshere- physical pressure, Ramsey- psychological. I’d also like to work the Ox in more than last season, but not depend on him yet.

I know that most clubs have unresolved issues, but I am only concerned about ours. And, our first few fixtures this season are very difficult.

For me, one more good addition would make me very happy, two, and I would be thrilled. I don’t want to speculate, but the names linked to us lately, at AM, and DM, if brought in, would give us incredible depth. They would, in my mind- put us ahead of United and Chelsea.. leaving us fighting for a title with city. As we say, in my humble opinion.

So, the clock is ticking. Will we let our lack of depth, and RvP holding us hostage ruin the beginning of another season, which, in turn leaves us only fighting for fourth again? Or will we show everyone that we as a club, mean business.

Written by jnyc

63 Responses to Will Arsenal Prove van Persie Wrong?

1. Shard says:

Great post, and a real poser.

First off, I think last summer itself represented a change of sorts for Arsenal. Yes losing Cesc and Nasri as late as we did, disrupted us, but players we brought in proved to be vital in our recovery. Paying out for the likes of Arteta, Mertesacker, and Santos showed me that we are willing to move on and do whats needed. It was always going to be just a transition season, and maintaining our CL place was the goal, which we managed in the end.

I think the question is, will we build on last season, and last summer’s business. Podolski definitely did that, and signing Giroud makes our bargaining position with regards Van Persie stronger, and makes our team stronger if he stays.

It must be said though, that signing someone has to do with their availability too, and I think we got Giroud not just because of Van persie, but because it was a good opportunity to buy the top goalscorer in France, for a decent fee. We might have played hardball over the price if RVP had already signed. Sort of reverse of current situation, with RVP then helping our bargaining position, but I think we still would have been interested in Giroud.

I think the club are serious about challenging this year, and I don’t think that’s necessarily to do with anything else other than there just being easing up of our finances a little bit. If we can sell the players who are surplus to requirements, I think we’ll have enough funds to go out and buy who we need. (Unless ManCity decide to outbid us just because they can). I really hope the Cazorla thing comes to fruition because in my view, we are weak on the wings and also lack creativity. With injuries to Wilshere and Rosicky, plus doubts about Diaby, we could do with a versatile talent like Cazorla. If we also get Sahin on loan, then that would be just fantastic, but that’s just me being greedy :)

Good point about getting a partner/replacement for Song. I doubt we’ll buy someone in anticipation of him leaving, but we do need someone to effectively cover for him in case of injuries and ACN. I’d be ok if Wenger decides Coquelin is that man, but in my opinion he isn’t. I’d rather we buy a more experienced DM than M’Vila, who also wouldn’t block Coquelin’s and Frimpong’s progress.

Well written jnyc. I think you have hit the nail on the head there. We constantly seem to be waiting on players deciding whether they are staying with us or whether they will come back from injury before we decide who to bring in. This seems to always leave us 1-2 players short of being a title challenger and often leads to the last minute panic buying, by which time we have already dropped precious points.

It would be nice if the club brought in players then worried about who is staying or leaving. If an AM who can play wide comes in and happens to look a better option than say Walcott, and relegates him to the bench then the only persons to blame for this is Walcott and his agent. They have been made a contract offer that has been declined so it is not Arsenals fault that we have had to bring in another player like him to potentially replace him. If he had signed the contract and we knew he was staying we may not have needed to look at these players. It is a similar situation with Song. If someone comes in who starts to play better and he loses his place then tough, you should have signed up and therefore stopped the club having to worry about bringing in these players.

Unfortunately I don’t see us starting to behave in this way. You can already see it when AW talks about seeing how Diaby and Wilshere come back before deciding who we need. So we will get past the transfer window without buying someone only to find that Wilshere’s return has hit complications and he will not be back til December and that Diaby has a new injury that will see him out til January. This will cost us 10 or so points from not having that player to step in and rule us out of the title race for another year.

3. JonJon says:

morning
    if arsenal prove rvp wrong then he stays doesnt he?

4. Ahmed Shika says:

A good analysis of our situation, the question is must we be hold to ransom every season? especially by those we moulded out of nothing?

5. Candid gunner says:

”and the annoying African cup of Nations…” this line just ruined the piece! Sorry, but, you’re such a pathetic, wasted being. For how can your silly opinion just rubbish a whole continent? Will they because of you or EPL work against their own climate? You wouldn’t fix the Euro between December and February, would you? Or perhaps your basic geography knowledge is lacking, or you just chose to be a daft racist? You can go to blazes with all your ‘humble’ opinions for all I care! For the records, I AM AN AFRICAN… A proud one at that!

6. nobby says:

Candid gunner,
    Don’t you find it even a teensy bit annoying?

Hey Candid,
    I can’t be sure that JNYC is a racist, but to avoid confusion in the future, how about we hold the ACN every four years, and if we host it at the hot desert end of Africa, we build air conditioned stadia like they’re doing in Qatar for the World Cup.

Why has the road race disappeared off the telly!

9. Candid gunner says:

Micky,, thanks, this point you made is better, better than the way it sounded in the piece itself, plus, Africa has about the best continental climate, we mustn’t necessarily build a stadium in the desert. Hope CAF officials are seing this, and act on it,, to me, continental competitions bi-ennially is a joke!

10. Geff luvate says:

Am also waiting soo eager to see the signing….

11. Candid gunner says:

Micky,
    Perhaps, you start building stadia on the north pole with warmer all over for Euros? Just saying! *winks*

Thanks for the post, jnyc.

I really can’t be arsed to worry about players in and out during the summer. All I hope is that we get business done before 18th August, but I can’t even see that happening.

Perhaps we aren’t closing deals at the moment because clubs are playing hardball with us, just as we’re attempting to do with those clubs wishing to shove millions of pounds up the derriere of Brave Sir Robin.

13. TonyB says:

@Candid, You are veeeeery right… these whites still have racism in them even if most pretend. This statement will anger many africans and this shows how “whites” think of us, think we not important. Go screw yourself GoonerB and yo fellow white-hits.

Accusing someone of racism is ridiculous. It’s the bloody timing of the tournament and its detrimental effect on Arsenal which is annoying.
    Show some common sense, please.

Chas,
    Stop saying “Brave Sir Robin” when I’m trying to be serious for once in my life. It makes me laugh every time :-)
    Candid,
    North Pole football. Brilliant idea. Nice and cool :-)

16. Candid gunner says:

Chas,
    If only you read my first comment(6). Nothing more to say for now!

Haha Micky,
    You just had me tittering at the thought of you tittering as you tried to be serious.

Candid,
    “continental competitions bi-ennially is a joke!”.
    So having two ACNs back to back might be considered just a tad annoying?
    If Wenger hadn’t recognised that many fine players originate from the African continent, I doubt we’d be too concerned ( speaking from an Arsenal perspective) how often it was held.

Candid,
    I did read your first comment and understand it would be difficult to hold the ACN at any other time of year.
    However that does not take away the fact that losing Arsenal players mid-season is annoying, whether through injuries, bans or continental competitions, which after all, was the point the author of this post was making.

19. Candid gunner says:

Chas,
    it’s no enough point to tag a whole continent ‘annoying’ and, no one forced AFC to sign African players!

20. mokwenye anthony says:

hey man, ley off the ACON. Cos its from it that we got song drogba and eto. Speak for arsenal and not africa.

21. Chas says:

He is speakig for Arsenal!

22. Shard says:

I think it was clear what the annoying bit meant..Losing players to the ACN is annoying… As is losing players to injury in meaningless friendlies of European competition. As I’m sure is losing Ramsey to the Olympics, or it would have been to lose Wilshere to the U21′s.. The only thing is that since the African calendar isn’t aligned with the European football season (and no reason that it should be), the ACN becomes more annoying in terms of losing players for matches, rather than in pre season/midweek.

There is no reason to get so sensitive about it. Lots of great players come from Africa and proudly represent their country, and I’m sure it’s a fantastic tournament for those who care about international football. But, from an Arsenal perspective, losing Song and Gervinho is going to be annoying. So where’s the racism? The writer wants the African players to play for the club he loves. How can that be racist?

23. Gooner In Exile says:

Jnyc good read shame it’s been derailed by sensitive types.

24. ak47 says:

they better prove him bloody wrong. absolute crime if we dont build even further and sharpish. its bang on the right time to do so, even if we dont win summit next year you’d think we’d come close enough to attract a marquee signing just before the deals, possibly with rvp on board.

speaking of the board, I remember le boss saying if we sell cesc and nasri were not a big club. I took that as a message to the board who went on to shrug and say ‘we’re not a big club’. fine we got over it, just, by the skin of our teeth. but back then rvp was taking about signings and here we are today with more signings, but out of necessity.

so do i think rvp is a traitor? i use to. sometimes i think it might be a ploy with wenger to force the board to make a cazorla type signing. well i hope it is. because losing rvp and getting cazorla isnt the type of progress that sits well with me.

25. ak47 says:

oh im black by the way and jnyc isnt even close to being racist. so stop being silly. cos you making us look silly.

26. neamman says:

The ACON is ridiculous purely in the fact it is held every 2 years rather than 4 as all other major tournaments are. Apart from that no one has a problem with it. I agree that timing is inconvenient but the continent has to deal with their climate limitations.. fair enough. Candid and the others etc..your responses went way over the top.. Maybe its a Brit humour thing that inadvertantly caused offense I am pretty sure no racism was intended. I certainly saw it as a comment on the organizers specifically, rather than on Africans in general.

27. oz gunner says:

good article can’t argue with a word of it, i’d love for us to prove the nay-sayers wrong, and personally invite rvp and nasri to our champions league winning open top bus parade!

The ACON is a joke (not because i think it is meaningless but because like neamman says it inconveniences a lot of teams) and because of it’s timing i do think it can impact a teams decision to by African players. Back to Back is just plain stupid. It amazes me when I read just how touchy some people are, jesus christ just relax. to attack the author of this post says more about your sensitivity and brain capacity.

Top read johnnie

28. neamman says:

To address the topic I would like to see Arsenal be proactive and buy a top player ..just to show we can. It would send a statement to fans and players alike that we are not a selling club.
    Who? I dont really care but I would love to see a top attacking midfielder.. I just dont think we have any that scares another team in the way a Llundberg or Pires did..

Thanks johnnie.

I do think there is a growing feeling within the club and its support for proving these greedy burkes who keep leaving wrong. i personaly dont see it that way because there is nothing to prove. These guys are leaving for the money so wether we win without them or not is irrelevent. and to be honest i couldnt give a flying f..k about them.

As for our africans friends i can understand there be some sensitivity over protecting the name of the ACON but i dont detect any malice or rascism in the post or any of the comments. Just people looking after Arsenals interests. Like i said, nothing wrong with been sensitive. I get accused of been a caring and sensitive lover all the time but just take it on the chin, and so should you. hahahaha

30. glic says:

Nice one johnnie.

I say , f**k the ACON, f**k the EURO`s , f**k the World Cup and f**k Shakira…….oops, just thinking out loud with that one !.

I`m only interested in, The Arsenal, although I might be a bit interested If Earth played the Martians on a neutral N17 class Planet like Uranus .

31. neamman says:

hahaha. I also have zero interest in international competitions..

at least until England is in with a chance of winning one!! :>)

32. johnnie nyc says:

sorry all, I just got on to read the comments, WOW, sensitive, aren’t we !
    —- But really,Thank You to all the guys who wrote thoughtful comments about Arsenal. clearly we share the same concerns………… ( and also to those who tried to defend me )… i smirked when i re- read the “annoying” comment… of course its annoying to a fan to lose some great players to any tournament that i really dont care about.. does it make me a bad person because i dont care about that competition? I dont care about any football competitions in the U.S. either…i guess im anti American also..to be honest..if you tied me down, and forced me to watch African Football OR MLS, i’d choose to watch African. .. i do watch a little south american football, because its all about recognizing some players we know, and future stars, but mostly because it’s broadcast here…..that helps alot ;-)

33. richie says:

@neamman@2:34 so the European Championships that we all just witnessed Spain winning (in style) are ridiculous are they? Because they are only held every 2 years? Only the WC is held every 4 years. Continental wide competitions are bi-anual.

@ Candid I think you took umbridge over nothing! (where none was intended) I’m a Gooner and believe me if the World cup, European cup or anyother cup interfered with Arsenal’s preparation for the new season I would be annoyed! When the tournament falls in the middle of the European domestic season it annoy’s the Arse off of me! Even though I admit to watching every game religiously. I watch those games with even less interest at their outcomes than I do if Chelski play Money Citeh, my interest is only sparked if they both drop points and Arsenal profit. Likewise if Cameroon beat Cote d’Ivoire I couldn’t care less!

I watch the games only hoping to see another possible Arsenal signing! Its not Racism in any way shape or form. I love my Gooner brothers where ever they hail from, I care not if they are Hindi from Hilingdon or Black from Brixton, Muslims from Muswell hill or Chinese from Chingford. Lets be clear Hasidic’s from Haringay are more than welcome (as we’ve recently had a discussion on Yiddish Gooners and the local scum from questionable Yiiddish origens) :-) .Likewise I love the fact that Arsenal reflects its origens in a working class multi ethnic multi religious multi racial multi cultural London.

My only concern where all the above pans out is Arsenal. If thats racism then I hate everyone who doesn’t want the best for Arsenal!!

Fine post jnyc
    And you’re spot on – the ANC is annoying, especially when they hold it every two years. It should be four yearly like the European Championships and held the same year as the Euros.

And even if it was every 4 years I would still be annoyed when we lost players to it. I’m a Gooner first and core
    Oat – all other footballing interests come second to that.

Haha – first and foremost*

36. oz gunner says:

@ GLIC 5.46

haha well said (that would be an interesting game, especially considering intergalactic supremacy would be at stake!) , I couldn’t care less either (partly because as a country we are hopeless at it).

@ JNYC

i do share your worries in regards to injuries so soon into the campaign. Most teams start off the season with a pretty clean slate, allowing them to have a great pre-season and really build their fitness levels. however, most of the time we have a whole host of players missing before we get under way. It’s all well and good Arsene saying this person is due back then and this person is due back here, as we all know it’s never that easy (I can’t remember the last time we had a player come back from injury on time!)

I really hope Arsene brings in one or two more attack minded midfielders because:

1) Wilshere has had a heap of set backs, and if he doesn’t it will probably be xmas by the time he is up and running.

2) Diaby…mmm surely history can’t repeat itself again.

3) Rosicky has an Achilles problem. An injury you can never really set a return date on simply because it can take forever and a day to heel (if you rush it you will have set backs), just ask Vermaelen he will tell you. along with a whole host of athletes who miss 9-12 months with the same problem. Hopefully Rosicky;s is just minor though and everything works out because he was on top of his game last season, and a real asset to the squad.

37. jnyc says:

I know we didnt get to talk much about it, but i am praying we can do cazorla, ive liked him since i saw him for spain, i didnt remember being after him last year. Maybe i missed it. I know hes not as young, but he is better than Mata. And i really think mata is good. Just the attempt makes me feel good about the team. But i know not to get my hopes up.

38. neamman says:

Richie ..unless they have changed it in the last few weeks ..the Euros ARE every 4 years.

johnnie
    Cazorla looks an amazing player. Fingers crossed.

40. weedonald says:

JNYC all that worrying and fretting about whether AFC will or won’t do this or that or what the future holds for our Club in the transfer market is unproductive and. like the Titanic voyage, can ultimately end badly for you. That is because you can’t do the slightest thing about any of your concerns and that leads to dystress and incremental anxiety, as your inability and impotence faced with your beloved Club’s fate is exacerbated by every vagary in the pre-season and season to come.
    Despite having some reservations about past and current experience, I tend to follow a simple but effective philosophy when it comes to the Arsenal:

1) The men who run and manage the Club are ultimately responsible people and won’t risk destroying the Club by suddenly changing everything in the blink of an eye or stubbornly refusing to change course when the iceberg is sighted.
    2) Our manager and coaches have been in business for a very long time and have successfully proven their intelligence and skills in the real world, not the Fantasy Football Manager universe populated by most of their critics.
    3) We have a plethora of young and ambitious players coming through now and Wenger, well aware of their potential, is taking a very balanced and measured approach in introducing them to the first team experience in Asia,in the Cups and gradually in the EPL.
    4) The rest of the transfer window will likely see us bring in 2 more players, and if Wenger’s genius is to be trusted, they will be bargain stars who will really improve the Arsenal, like Arteta, Per and Gervinho did last season. I saw Podolski play in Germany and you can bet your granny’s socks that he’ll bring an entirely new urgency and strength to our link uip play.
    5) The team’s spirit and self-belief is, in my opinion, improving each season and there is a ¨can do¨attitude evident after last year that could easily drive us to success this season.
    6) Strangely enough, every season where we lost a ¨star¨player saw us replace them and do better than expected and if RVP does jump ship, then we’ll see a few players step up and replace him quite effectively. If he stays and eventually either transfers out in January or the summer, he’ll still have to prove to any potential suitor that he’s worth taking a risk on since he will be nearing 30 and to say he is known as being injury-prone is a blatant under-statement! I see him having another great season but being in competition with Giroud, Walcott and Podolski for our best player title. Nice conundrum to have right?

No one is holding us hostage as RVP is on the short end of the stick here (still under contract) and we aren’t dithering in the transfer market (it is always a slow, careful process), nor are we particularly desperate for any position to be backed up as yet…maybe if we avoid the injury ninja, we can rely on Diaby, RVP, Sagna, Vermaelen, Gibbs, Arteta, Rosicky, Coquelin and Jenkinson to see us through all 38 games in regal fashion….if not we still have enough on the bench to fill in quite well and in the reserves and youth to back our bench up as well. I am NOT worried, stressed, aggravated or anxious over our current or future Club situation but more concerned about the EPL, the officiating and Football in general, as the beautiful game heads towards a denouement worldwide. There is a financial crisis headed straight at our Game and its profligate owners and while FIFA and the FA blandly ignore it, everyone else knows its potential consequences…not that’s worth worrying about!

Weedonald hi,
    No-one is, as you rightly say, holding RvP hostage, but I strongly suspect the situation may be keeping our trannsfer dealings in limbo, and, as I think our need for a very high class midfielder is desperate, it would be good to get that resolved pronto.

Morning Chas,
    Back in a mo with coffee

Micky,
    So you think we wouldn’t have bolstered midfield at all if Brave Sir Robin had signed a new contract?

Chas,
    Just read your link, and I saved my biggest “yikes” for this line: “it was what sidelined Owen Hargreaves”.

Chas,
    My thoughts are that we operate a buy-to-sell policy, or book balancing on transfers, although I suspect there may have been a little extra in the kitty from previous dealings.
    Giroud and Podolski may have absorbed what little extra there was, and if the brave one stays (cnnot be shifted) then we need some revenue. Maybe they hoped this would come from sales of AA, Bendy, Chamack etc, and this may be proving problematic.
    A fall back scenario might be to offload Theo if Arsene thinks that midfield reinforcements are imperative.

Yeah but, ” it is usually treatable and Hargreaves was an unusual case”.

There’s something about knowing some detail which makes me feel reassured (even though it’s all guesswork!).
    As in the case of Vermaelen’s lay off, once it was discovered it was a plantaris tendon problem, it seemed to get sorted out fairly promptly. I suppose it depends on if you’re a glass half full or empty kind of person. :)

Ah, makes sense re book balancing policy.
    I keep forgetting the parasitical fungus.

“Usually treatable”…ahhh, that old chestnut. “Usually” worries the crap out of me when it comes to The Arsenal Treatment Roon :-(

For me, and I realize many here will disagree, the Jack situation is actually irrelevant to our present needs, as I see him in the Arteta role, not as DM or AM.

On a lighter note, and I know we are completely in the dark as to what’s really going on, do you think Brave Sir Robin had a fixed idea of where he wanted to end up before making his little statement?

I think it’s when they don’t know what the problem is, that the complications arise.
    Anyhow, I’ve worried you enough for one morning.

52. dandan says:

From Today’s Sunday Times
    It will make you as sick as a parrot
    Michael Moritz is a top Silicon Valley investor — and a Manchester United fan. He offers an alternative reading of its float prospectus
    WE recently changed our corporate name from Red Football LLC to Manchester United Ltd because we thought the former might be considered un-American and confuse prospective purchasers of our shares with the former Soviet Union’s national team.

Our business is a globally recognised brand and we estimate 10% of the world’s population follow our football team. For our entire 2011 fiscal year our revenue was $513m (£326m) — roughly equivalent to the revenue Google generates every five days.

Our club is being listed in New York because legal and regulatory restrictions are more favourable to people who place enormous amounts of debt on companies than in other venues we have considered — such as London, Singapore and Hong Kong.

We have more than $1 billion of debt due within the next 220 weeks that we have no means of repaying. All the assets of the club have been mortgaged against these debts, including our training ground and even our interest in a small freight warehouse.

Since July 2008, we have paid $792m in interest and other finance costs which is more than Sir Alex Ferguson, our distinguished manager, has paid for all the players he has purchased during the past 20 years.

Because we are so desperate to raise money, our corporate tax rate will rise from the 27% levied in the UK to the 35% required in America.

Our legal structure ensures the Glazer family, our main shareholder, will maintain absolute control over the company after the offering. Between 2001 and 2009 our club paid the Glazers a total of $25m in fees and gave them a $15m loan.

Our executive co-chairman, Avram Glazer, was previously the chief executive of Zapata Corp, a fish-oil producer, that once attempted to become an internet company by changing its name to Zap.com. Zapata was bought in 2009 by Philip Falcone of Harbinger Capital who, last month, was charged with securities fraud by the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Our business model is to help the Glazer family, our controlling shareholder, stay one step ahead of the banks. We employ a variety of approaches to achieve this including:

■ Raising ticket prices. Between 2005 and 2011 we were able to raise the average ticket price by almost 6% a year, which was almost double the rate of inflation in the UK during the same period.

■ Increasing sponsorship revenue. Guests of our corporate sponsors, such as Nike, DHL, Aon or Turkish Airlines, will soon be able to view our players’ private training sessions. We used to conduct these activities in strict privacy.

■ Boosting merchandise sales. Our new team shirts (which differ for home and away games) sell for $85. We sell many other branded products including car air fresheners, short nighties for women, four-poster bed canopies and a special men’s fragrance — Eau de Sport.

The competition for player and management talent in the Premier League is intense and our rival owners includes Russian oligarchs, Middle Eastern sovereigns, Indian chicken farmers and American hedge fund managers. Some of these have access to cash — which, unless this offering is successful, we do not.

Fortunately we don’t have to comply with the same reporting obligations as other public companies because our business qualifies in America under the newly passed Jobs Act as an “emerging growth company”. We emerged 134 years ago and in the past nine months our growth was 6%. The word “company” does apply to our club — although in a limited manner.

Old Trafford, our home ground, is called “The Theatre of Dreams”. Prospective purchasers of our stock will understand why.

■ Michael Moritz is chairman of Sequoia Capital

The rumour was that his agent had agreed terms with the Oilers.

I don’t think he did know where he would end up, but was fed up with carrying the team for the last 8 seasons and decided he was worth so much more than Arsenal’s top offer was likely to be.

Off out, auf wiedersehen.

Morning dandan.
    I understood the float had been withdrawn due to lack of serious interest in the US.
    ps Wow, that makes you cringe doesn’t it. Women’s short nighties included in a SE Float Prospectus!!

Looks like the morning session is over. Bye from me.

56. Gooner In Exile says:

Morning all

Off to the Olympiad today (in Coventry). Should be fun, scouting mission is on.

And get to see Park (hopefully)

57. evonne says:

GiE – Park? Does he really exist? Not just a marketing gimmick?

New Post ……………………

59. I have been absent for a while, but now I remember
    why I used to love this blog.

Thank you, I will try and check back more frequently. How
    frequently you update your web

site?