A football match at last …………….

There’s a football match today and although it has little significance to the upcoming season, we like a pre-match on Arsenal Arsenal so here goes ……..

I know absolutely nothing about the opposition but I do expect that we’ll see lots of different Arsenal players during this game as Arsène makes the most of giving a run out to as many as he can.

The game is on at a ridiculous time for us in the UK – 2.45 I ask you – so I shall be hoping my sky+ works and I can settle down to watch it later.

Yesterday’s open training session seemed like a lot of fun and the supporters looked really delighted to have our boys out there playing in front of them.

Hopefully we’ll get to have good look at Giroud, Podolski is scheduled for the Nigeria trip so we won’t see him for a while. From the pictures on Arsenal.com it looks like there’s a fit Diaby in the squad and a smiling Theo.

I’m hoping to see a clean sheet or if we concede at all let it be a wondergoal rather than our mid-field being carved open. I’d really like Szczesny to have a few games not picking the ball up from the back of the net. I hope Steve Bould has been working hard on defensive awareness, I know it’s only a friendly but those supporters have come to see their heroes and they’ll have mates that support the teams from Manchester so bragging rights are going to be important to them too.

I hope the stadium in Malaysia will be rocking and we get into the groove quickly. An early goal from Giroud made by Theo will make it easier on the team to not miss Brave Sir Robin.

What would you like to see this afternoon, what are your expectations?

Written by peachesgooner

130 Responses to A football match at last …………….

1. Sorry guys, not up to Raddy’s standard I know and very hurried ….. didn’t even have time to search out a beard :)

Have a nice day …………………..

2. anto says:

girouds not in malaysia unfortunately.

3. Sorry, I didn’t know that – why isn’t Giroud in the squad?

Thanks Peaches.
    You’d look rubbish in a beard, so don’t worry about that :-)
    Cannot wait to see Giroud, and a fit Diaby eh? I am most intrigued to see what formation(s) Arsene uses, and most of all, who plays the AM role.

5. Rob Lucci says:

Training Sessions report.

Steve Bould was very vocal.

Chamakh scored a lot of goal.

Szcezsney wore no 1 on his training suit.

Theo was the most passionate one, he was running a lot,

Peaches, if you want me to write the match report it will be a lot of one liners.. :-)

6. double98 says:

Season starts here – a few clean sheets between now and August 26th will get the confidence going.

Now we are In for Cazorla. Banner for next season…

We don’t need Batman. We’ve got Santi.

7. richie says:

In a game like this I only have “one wish”! No bloody injuries!! Why did I think “Girou” didn’t go to the far east? (I’m leaving the “d”out so everyone gets used to his name) because when AW was on the TV the other day the English interviewer anoyingly kept saying Girou”D”. Which is like someone saying “K”nife.

OK, just the Diaby bit then :-(

9. anto says:

not sure why girouds not there.dont worry tho chamakhs there…..

10. anto says:

match is live on ESPN and setanta

11. double98 says:

Peaches Some of the later finishers in the euros aren’tr in the squad. No Kos, Podols, giru, ROBBINGFATPURSE E all at home working on fitness/betrayal

12. Morning all & Peachy, thanks for your beardless pre match; regarding no Giro here’s the official word from Wenger “Some players have to work on their fitness so are a bit behind, like Van Persie, like Koscielny, like Giroud, who came in later. They are not ready to play games.”

To answer the Peaches question, what I’d most like to see is Diaby and Ox playing a half each as AM.

14. Rob Lucci says:

Wenger left giroud at Colney because he needs to work on his fitness apparently.

I’m a little bit gutted actually that all my favorite player couldn’t come this time around, but I will definitely give 100% support to any player wearing an Arsenal shirt tonight!!

15. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

Fret not RHWP…ESPN are showing it again at 8pm.

Chamakh hat trick tonight…..??

16. richie says:

@Auto thanks you got in first and answered my question. I believe Arsene said the Giro-Pod were putting in a appearance in Nigeria no? But would be staying behind to work on fitness.

17. anto says:

for chamakh to score he gonna have to take a shot.cant see it myself

18. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

‘at home working on betrayal’….lol

Rob,
    Are you going to the game?

20. Norfolk Gooner says:

The big news for me is that Koscielny has signed a new long term contract.

21. Rob Lucci says:

Micky,

I didn’t go last year, you bet I will not gonna miss this one! :-)

22. Gofes says:

Hope to see them doing well on the pitch.

Rob,
    Brilliant. Please, please do a match report. All one liners would be right up my street. Also do include best match day snack (preferably from street vendor), and what what music/intro the players are welcomed onto the pitch with. Atmosphere stuff :-)

24. double98 says:

Rob, could you do it in a series of Haiku?

25. anto says:

be good to see arteta back playin

26. Red Arse says:

Rob, :-)

I am really pleased you decided to go to the game today! The exams tomorrow will look after themselves and you will pass them.

Just send your match report into the email address at the top of Arsenal Arsenal.

As Micky said, give us a bit of atmosphere, telling us about the other fans, the sights, the music, as well as what food is available before the game, that would set the scene, and would all be great background!! :-)

Go for it, my friend!!

27. Red Arse says:

D98 sits with laptop
    pages stay blank
    vampires pining
    watch Arsenal instead

28. double98 says:

Brilliant RA…

Although my first book is not a vampire book. Its the first in a trilogy loosely based not on vampires

The Vampires won’t be until my 4th Book.

29. Red Arse says:

Ah, but that is why the vamps are pining.

“D98 not want us” they cry to the background susurration of their tears, and the ululation of their grief!! :-)

Thanks for the post Peaches. Looking forward to seeeing it tonight whilst i munch my carrots and turnip.

Hey Lucci, ime talking to you, you dig. This cat wants a match report Lucci, you gets me. Gets out there and give me a peak brother. This cat dosnt want to shift his sexy butt looking for your sorry ass so you do the talk you walk the walk. Just answer one question Lucci, “You Dig it” ?

31. double98 says:

Our Red Arse ponders
    Speculating on vampires
    too much time on hands

D98, by the way, Vampires are definetly real. In certain parts of northern Greece villagers still put strange looking herbs on there doors to ward them off. Gos back to ancient times.

33. Red Arse says:

scrawny neck
    of father time
    gently throttled
    time is passing

34. double98 says:

TMHT – That’s Angela Merkel they are trying to keep out. But vampires are very real. Luca modric for example… “i vant to dhrink your blood”

D98, Modric is a Gorgan. One look from him and your stonier than stone henge. Your right about Merkel though hahaha

36. Amazing, not many of us would ever have trekked to Underhill to see preseasons, or to some far flung trip to Austria, but now with the power of TV we are getting to see nearly all preseasons, my fear is too much is taken from them, these are getting to know you games and will have no bearing on the team performances going forward.

That said i’ll be sitting glued to my Sky Plus later :D

Great news on Kozzer, also rumours of a Sopanish midfielder from Malaga are strengthening, his name is Cazorla, apparently Malaga have left some of their players unpaid due to problems with financing (from the Qatari owners)…over to you Kelsey for details on Malaaga financial straits, and Oz and Micky for proper in-depth scouting.

37. As well as the game being on ESPN, apparently it is on Arsenal Player too

GiE,
    My scouting days are over. Looks like other Oscar is off to Chelsea, while my Oscar and I are off to Cardiff on thursday to see that other bastard Oscar play for Brasil. Had hoped my one could have been wearing one of his many “Arsenal Oscar 10″ shirts, which are now about to look very bad indeed at home games!
    This brilliant piece of scouting has ended in many tears and a large whole in my purse. Never again, as knowing my luck, I’d unearth an absolute gem of a Latvian AM called DidIt!

39. WiganGooner says:

@GIE

I always used to go to the Barnet pre-season with me Dad. Got some cracking memories from that. You could get so close to the players. My Dad shouted out “Arsene you are a god” and Arsene turned, smiled and waved at him.

Awesome memories.

WG

Well done, peaches.

Rob,
    great photo. Looking forward to the one-liner match report. :)

I went with JC to Barnet a few of seasons ago. We had restricted view seats (one goal was behing glass) but it didn’t spoil the fun.

42. Diaby Starts?

Injury sweepstake?

I’ll take 11-15minutes

43. I see Abou is starting, anyone reckon Diaby will last more than 15 minutes ?

Thought not. :)

Whoops. It should say Gervinho, Chamack at the end.

45. oz gunner says:

Didit the scouter
    He has failed you all again
    First Remy now Oscar!

46. Bloody Vuvuzelas, the drone of the commentators is no better. Time to mute

No idea who you are referring to Oz.

48. oz gunner says:

Put your faith in oz
    Brought Giroud to Arsenal
    Hopeless at Haikou!

Haha, what a pile of dog poop.

50. So we are 1 nil down..hm….

51. That was boring, and listening to the commentary i may well hang myself.

Good to see Bouldy is having a positive effect on the defence :D

52. It’s just like a real game; Arsenal have most of the possesion and then a lack of closing down leads to a goal for the oppo.

Ah, the season is almost upon us.

53. JM says:

Off-topic:
    @Norfolk Gooner at 10:05 am

Koscielny has signed a contract extension of 3 yrs. (i.e. His new contract runs till 2017). Similar length to AoC & Giroud. (Podolski is till 2016, and similar to Wilshere & Ramsey)

54. goonerjake says:

Possesion possesion possesion then 1 nil down sound familiar.

Their were some possetives! Not many, but it is good to se Abou back, not playing brilliantly but if he stays injury free he will improve

It would be nice if the commentators just identified the players.

I don’t know if there’s anything to the Cazorla stories (although they have been reported by the ‘respectable’ media, including the Telegraph and Guardian).

But I just watched a YouTube compilation and he looks a tasty player. Interestingly, he is described in the stories as a “winger” but, in the clips, he mostly seems to be playing very centrally and sometimes as quite a deep-lying central MF (Arteta type position).

He could certainly bring something to the squad.

For those that sky-plussed it, save yourself the anguish and just watch the last 5 minutes.

58. Reddawn says:

5 chances missed that RvP would have put away with ease!

59. Norfolk Gooner says:

Malaysia XI 1 – 2 Arsenal

60. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

Agreed Chas.

I only saw bits and pieces, mostly of the second half, but caught the last 15 or so.

Anyone else watch on LiveOnlineFooty..?? I did, and it was the worst stream I have ever had from there. Maybe its cos I’m at work.

I’ll take a look at the re-run later.

61. Norfolk Gooner says:

Aneke and Eisfeld on the score sheet.

62. Reddawn says:

Early days. We looked as rough as the pitch.

I sent a few screen prints to nuts.
    I hope Rob had some nice food on the way to the game. :)

Arsenal Player was ok, Shark.

64. Woop woop 2-1, another tournament win (well they are getting medals anyway) :D

65. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

Dawn – you need t forget about RVP. He’s old news…

You can’t wind yourself up about it all season, starting from today. If you really insist that you absolutely must..then at least wait until RVPs replacements are playing and not the reserve team striker.

I wonder how many chances RVP missed that TH14 would have scored. Like wise TH14 and Ian WWW. Do we take this back through SuperMac and all the way to Alex James and Ted Drake..??

66. Watch it on Arsenal PLayer and laugh heartily at the commentary team trying to identify players, still declaring the last goal score by Afobe even though you could hear the stadium announcer say Aneke :D

67. Ted Drake never missed Sharkey :D

68. Reddawn says:

Hi SharkeySure’sGhost says, I watched the game live through Free English Premier League site using Sopcast as my software. Picture was fine.

69. Red Arse says:

Bit like the Curate’s egg, good in parts, (horrid elsewhere).

Early days, and two separate teams in effect. Things will improve! :-)

What poked me in the eye?

– Chamakh tried so hard, but had no anticipation and no clue. :-(
    Sorry to those who are hoping for better.

– As for Theo? Same old, same old for me.
    Again, sorry to those who disagree. I know, it’s just a part of half a game, but ……………. :-(

Still time for these two to put things right? Maybe. (shrugs in a noncommittal way!)

70. Red Arse says:

Damn. Fell for the old – speak without thinking after the game!

I said what poked me in the eye – should have balanced it with what was easy on the eye.

Relieved and pleased about Diaby’s performance. I cringed every time he went down in a challenge, but well done that man.

Good stuff from Ryo, Mannone (what’s going on there?) Chuks Anneke and, after a nervous start, from young Yennaris.
    Benik Afobe put in a good stint but his finishing was a disappointment.

Listen, it was the first pre-season outing —– big deal!! :-)
    When’s the next one? :-)

71. Gooner In Exile says:

This weekend vs City RA, but guess you know that.

I too was a bit disappointed by Afobes finishing, trying too hard to score and impress? Especially with the one he took early.

As for the rest it’s too hard to judge half senior teams combining with youthful counterparts…certainly more verve in second half, and slightly worried we were looking too long too early for some passes. But that could be due to the pitch.

Hopefully against City we will see a more first team like line up in one half with the youngsters playing the second.

72. Red Arse says:

You are right GIE, it is a bit soon to jump to conclusions.

I remain upbeat and hopeful, but a little disappointed today because I wanted the guys to really give us a show — and to a certain extent, with possession, they did, but we looked shot shy.

Thanks, too, for the Man City game details, with what is going on, I had not checked the itinerary.

73. Nick says:

Sounds like it was a rough start to the campaign. Not surprising given the still unsettled RVP & Theo issues. This is why business needed to be done after the close of the season but with Euro it was impossible.

Glad to see Afobe and Eisfeld on the score sheet (I’ve got high hopes to see Eisfeld this season). Diaby started & didn’t come off injured! That right there is an achievement in and of itself!

Chamakh started and still couldn’t score against Malaysia XI? What are we gonna do with this lad?

I hope there’s a more convincing effort against Citeh.

Redders
    Nil desperandum.
    In pre-season last year Gervinho looked like a goal-grabber in the Henry class. Just shows you can’t pay too much attention to these kick arounds :)

75. Gooner In Exile says:

Actually Gerv was one of the smartest performers.

76. Red Arse says:

Rocky,

You mean it’s worse than I thought? :-)

Seems I should surrender to “desperare”. :-)

77. neamman says:

A meaningless game that is only “possibly” good to give people some confidence.

GiE
    I like Gerv – it was just a bit disappointing that his clinical finishing from the pre-season friendlies last year didn’t carry over into the real stuff.

Redders contemplates despair
    Laughing realises
    It’s in detrunk

I am very excited about the possible signing of Cazorla: think Oxlade–Chamberlain as the finished article (strong, fast, super skilful) and you have Santi Cazorla yet another one of Spain’s plethora of outstanding midfield players.

81. Gooner In Exile says:

I like him too Rocky, I was just throwing it out there, and thinking lets hope he is not only a preseason performer, seemed to regain some of that drive that was there before the ACN. It’s a bugger we have another this season as they realign their tournaments, guess the African equivalent of UEFA needs it so regular for the income generated.

82. Red Arse says:

@ 8:07, Excellento!! :-)

Rockers will not see
    my tear
    a haiku blows
    away my fear

(Yours was funnier)! :-) — And your haiku wasn’t bad, either!!

According to The Telegraph Arsene Wenger has bought 4 out of the top 10 all time bargains in the EPL, based on their contribution to the team and their sell on value.

#1. Nicolas Anelka -.5k
    #2. Demba Ba – Free
    #3. Tim Cahill – 1.5k
    #4. Sol Campbell – Free
    #5. Eric Cantona – 1.2k
    #6. Ole Gunner Solskjaer 1.5k
    #7. Robin van Persie – 2.75k
    #8. Joe Hart – .5k
    #9. Shay Given – 1.5k
    #10. Cesc Fabregas – Free

Good old Arsene.

84. Gooner In Exile says:

85. Gooner In Exile says:

Surely M not K? Otherwise RvP will definitely be made to see out his contract :)

86. Gooner In Exile says:

If I was doing that list Sol wouldn’t be in it, neither would the Baby Face Assassin. Sol because free transfer was swallowed in wages, and Solskjaer because he only contributed occasionally.

Not sure I’d know who to put in their place tho, Pires for £6m was a bit of a steal.

87. Gooner In Exile says:

£150k for Kolo Toure wasn’t bad either, especially when we sold him for £16m

88. Gooner In Exile says:

An explanation to the performance:

89. Gooner In Exile says:

Wenger speaks:

“We are not close to signing Cazorla. We are still working that out.”

Apparently that was said to some Asian News Channel (according to LadyArse)

90. Gooner In Exile says:

6 and out

91. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

Super Kolo…..shame he ever left in some respects, but once he wasn’t with Sol or Keown he started to unravel a bit.

I’d love to revisit some of the games that Kolo played with Senderos. I suspect that Big Phil led that defence to the CL record rather than Kolo.

In his first games Kolo was played everywhere and was a one man whirlwind, who was sensibly never played in defence. Then one summer he came into pre season playing CB and never looked back. I questioned if he’d spent the summer at a Buddhist retreat, as his new persona was so calm and controlled.

Looking back I think it was his partners who really helped him…perhaps they had a remote control for him..??

In his later time at Arsenal he did some very un CB-like things (ducking out of headers at WHL) and became incredibly rash in his decision making and general play. His time with Gallas really didn’t help him and they seemed to be fighting for the same ‘position’ in their pairing.

Sorry to see him go when he went, but it was 100% the right decision…especially for £16m !!!

92. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

Awww GiE…that took me nigh on 30 mins to type on a laptop !!!

93. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

Fabregas has to be No.1…partly cos he really is as good as any AM that I have ever seen. I expect to see him continue to improve as a player year on year.

I can hardly stand to watch La Liga but even I had to note that he scored around 10(?) goals with his head last season. His only header for us was the one at Sunderland for a late draw (?). Great header though.

Oh then there’s the P+L on him. Exp, £0, Rev £35m, and to sell him back to the club we bought him from was priceless. Its like Omar robbing packages then selling them back to the same people he robbed them from – for 20 cents on the dollar !!

The Wire fans will know

94. :D Sharkey

Bless ESPN they just put on the Up For Grabs Now game again….always fun to see Steve Macmahon walk around with a finger in the air, and Aldridge pushing O’Leary away when trying to commiserate.

95. Gooner In Exile says:

Can clubs get fined for not sending players to TeamGB football.

Remember Bale had a dodgy back and wouldnt be “ready” for Olympics, well he scored for Spurs last night in a preseason friendly against LA Galaxy as just reported on BBC. So before Olympics have kicked off?

Watching this, I still got angry at:
    Thierry’s last minute equaliser (?) ruled out for handball in Russia and him being booked too, rubbing salt in the wound;
    the referee immediately pointing for a corner when Kuyt clearly pullled down Hleb in the penalty area. (at least they didn’t show the wink afterwards!).

Bendy blocking the ball on the line was just comical.

GIE,
    Stop his peanuts for a month.

Morning all,

It was largely a disappointing performance yesterday but the Ox’s comment on the heat puts it all in perspective I guess.

Chamakh is truly poor and all this verbal posturing about wanting to fill RvP’s boots is nonsense. He was woeful again yesterday and I will celebrate the day he is off the payroll.

Eisfeld looked very good in his short cameo. His corners were excellent. For some reason Cesc used to float corners across and they were easy meat for defenders, but Eisfeld whips them in at pace – much more effective.

I really hope we can keep hold of Miquel, that boy is classy and will make it into the Spain national side one day I predict.

99. Red Arse says:

Very true and wise words, Rasper. :-)

Chas @ 8:14 :-)

Morning RA, I’m not sure everyone will agree. There has been a lot of support for Chamakh on here recently. I saw him pull back on forward runs again yesterday like he was scared of putting himself under the pressure and always opting for the short backwards pass rather than anything that could be described as an attacking move. He did have one half decent shot on goal but he just lacks spine and we can’t keep waiting for him to grow a pair.

Sharkey,
    I know you were throwing down the gauntlet to find another Fabregas header. Well here it is on 0:33. :)

102. evonne says:

sorry, I used the forbidden word quoting it from somewhere else. Can someone please edit it and let me out of jail? Thanks

103. Gooner In Exile says:

Rasp I thought Cham started brightly playing off the shoulder, but he definitely can’t play the lone striker role, he needs others close which is I’m beginning to wonder why we start seeing him play the short backward pass hoping to bring others forward, Afobe is a far better prospect despite some poor finishing his runs in behind are more threatening.

Aneke looked pretty solid, good touches, confident passer, short and long.

There was also some more evidence that Ryo is a fantastic prospect.

104. evonne says:

Frimpong charged by the FA, I have mixed feelings about this on, what do you think guys?

“Frimpong, recovering from a knee injury, posted a message on the social networking site in which he said: “If you going church today Pray For me Giving today A Miss”.

To which one kind-hearted Tottenham fans responded: “I prayed you break your arms and legs”.

Rasp,

Did Chamakh ever play with his back to goal for Bordeaux? I’m not sure it comes naturally to him.

That little backwards pass to midfield and then disappearing for the return is one of Arsenal’s most annoying passes. Yes, it retains possession but unless there’s lots of movement ahead of the ball for the midfielder to pick out, it just slows the play down.

evonne,

If it gets him off Twatter, I’m all for it.

107. evonne says:

Chas :) yeah, he is a mouthy git, not as bad as Barton, but close behind

I didn’t watch the game yesterday, was it a really poor performance?

Morning all.
    “Good at holding the ball up” has to be the most overated quality of a lone striker.
    I didn’t see any of the match, so cannot wait for Rob’s post to discover the quality of the pre-match nibbles.

How to keep cool in the hot weather….

That’ll set Evonne off, Chas :-)

111. evonne says:

Chas – clever pug :) they cannot cope with heat, unlike Peaches.

112. evonne says:

Micky – ha ha ha ha ha ha HA! You know me toooooooo well :)

I think its Ok for me at this point to post a clip of a talented man, a double bass and a dog.

If anyone actually bothered to watch that clip, I bet you everything you were waiting for the dog to lick its balls :-)

115. Red Arse says:

Micky,

He was brilliant, a multi-tasker if ever I saw one.

And the bloke on the bass wasn’t bad either!! :-)

Wow, who needs percussion instruments?

I wish I could do that…….
    ……..if you give him a bone he might let you.

Thank goodness for RA, I thought I had killed the show.

I’m going to post another of him, with the most haunting and beautiful version of Dear Prudence I’ve yet to hear.
    I go get.

I agree chas, Chamakh gets rid of the ball as soon as possible like it’s a hot potato – which would be ok if his pass was in any way attacking – but it seldom is. I don’t know how he played before, but I always get the impression that he is going throught the motions but not really wanting to put himself under pressure.

RA,
    This is why I have such a long Favourites list!

ps
    Adam Ben Azra owns one hat and one shirt :-)

122. evonne says:

Don’t be jealous Micky, he would lick them if they weren’t chopped off

123. Red Arse says:

Micky,

I think you have made a convert. Never heard of him before, but simply haunting rendition. :-)

Rasp,
    It isn’t just Chamakh that does it.
    Afobe was doing it, too. Especially when he first came on, but that’s understandable, I suppose.
    Theo is an arch exponent of laying the ball back and then running off to hide behind a defender.

Then again, playing 4-3-3, there’s never anyone close enough to the central striker for them to lay it sideways as there might be in a 4-4-2.

RA,
    Good. He has such an unusal “Holy Land Accent” :-)
    Chas,
    “Theo is an arch exponent of laying the ball back and then running off to hide behind a defender” :-)

Morning again……

……. New post … from a new author….