lastminutegoals.com

Watching live football always has that curious edge of nervous expectancy. Never knowing what will come next draws us back time and again. When events turn against us, we say that it was inevitable, we could see it coming, but when the footballing gods deem it is an Arsenal fan’s moment in the sunshine, nothing quite beats the thrill of an Arsenal goal in the final minutes of a game.

Sometimes even snatching a last minute draw from the jaws of defeat can turn a journey home or an extra drink in the pub from having a funereal air, to being one of relative jubilation. However, the goals which turn 1 point into 3 can produce such a surge of endorphins that the feeling lasts for days. The ultimate last minute winners have even bigger prizes dangling from their goal celebrations. Cups and championships won in the last seconds of a game can produce after effects which last a lifetime.

Here are a selection of ‘last minute’ goals for your enjoyment.

Thierry Henry v Sunderland 2012

We were at Lingfield racecourse for my nephew’s stag do and were suitably miffed when news came through of Mclean’s goal in the 70th minute. We were hopeful again when Rambo scored off both posts to equalise and ecstatic as Thierry rose like a kung fu master to stab the ball home in injury time…….

g

Thomas Vermaelen v Newcastle 2012

The poetic justice of this goal being scored near the end of the time added on for Tim Krul’s persistent time-wasting makes this my favourite last minute goal of recent times……..

Kanu 1999 v Chelsea at the bridge.

Two nil down with 15 minutes to go, Nwankwo wrote his name into the Arsenal legends book with a hat trick to die for, including one of the best goals you’ll ever see. Take it away Martin Tyler….

Thierry Henry v Man U 2007

To my mind this goal was the first big moment to happen at the Emirates. A goal of such simple beauty and Ferguson’s reaction to it at the end of this makes me laugh every time I see it….

Ray Kennedy v spuds 1971

50,000 in the ground, 50,000 left outside, Shite Hart Lane was red and white for the night in May 1971. My old man and older bro tried to take my younger brother and me to the Lane that night. We only got to the end of the Paxton Road before they decided it was too dangerous for us to continue. This would definitely be my older brother’s main Arsenal regret, as it was such a terrible disappointment to miss the first time we won the League at the sh*thole. At least it wasn’t the last…….

Alan Sunderland v Man U FA cup final 1979

I can remember sinking to my knees on the Wembley terraces after Manyoo’s spawny equaliser only to stand up just in time to witness one of the those ‘hair standing up on the back of your neck’ moments never to be forgotten for the rest of my life……

Micky Thomas v Liverpool 1989

DidIt’s non-Edith Piaf post yesterday summed up one man’s wish to have seen this moment in the flesh. Presumably this would be most Gunners’ favourite last-minute, spine-tingling goal because there was so much riding on it………..

What’s your favourite last-minute Arsenal goal and why?

Written by chas

249 Responses to lastminutegoals.com

Well if that little lot doesn’t send tingles down you back you are definitely on the wrong site.

2. Morning all and a big huzzah to the videomeister Chas for today’s offering.

For me the most recent of those examples spring to mind as nothing beats being in the ground when you see a last minute winner – so it’s the Verminators late strike against Bar Codes as Krul revenge for their time wasting antics.

As those who have met me know I’m a reserved, self-effacing chap yet when that goal went in I was shaking a complete stranger next to me, fists pumping in celebration, eyes rolling like a crazed loon while shouting “F**K you!” repeatedly at the away support a few blocks away.

Ah, good times.

3. TotalArsenal says:

Excellent stuff Chas! :)

Especially the fans’ videos make my hairs stand up. The Kanu impossible third for his hattrick is my favourite come back goal/ late winner. The finish is sheer perfection and the drama was immense.

Great post chas. It is one of the few articles on the blogosphere today that is not scratching around for some snippet of transfer speculation.

Sadly you could also do a comp of last minute goals conceded :( The equaliser by pool at the Ems in the previous season is one that really got to me.

Wow Chas – what a great way to start the day!

My favourite that I witnessed in person was the Alan Sunderland cup final winner (I was there with a ManUre fan who got me a ticket, although we were sitting in ‘posh seats’). As you nicely described, it was the roller coaster of jarring disappointment followed by instantaneous elation.

Not many comments today – might I humbly suggest that, clever though the title is, it may not be drawing people in and a more straightforward “Arsenal’s Greatest Last Minute Winners” might have done better?

Apologies to you of it’s your headline Chas (or Rasp if it’s yours).

6. glic says:

Great stuff chas, we all like to see us win games comfortably, but last minute winners with so much riding on them are hard to beat !.
    I must also admit like Rasp, last minute conceded one`s are a bastard, them 2 against the scum in the 4-4 draw were a double bastard, as previously said, I was screaming , punching and kicking the floor like a spoilt brat , to Mrs glic`s embarrassment we were in Tesco`s chiller aisle at the time !.

Rasp
    “Ssadly you could also do a comp of last minute goals conceded The equaliser against pool in the previous season is one that really got to me.”

Boo! Don’t rain on Chas’s parade :)

GLiC
    Boo to you too :( :)

9. glic says:

Rocky
    But think how many times Spud fans have done what I did in Tesco`s, everytime we won something !. :)

Good recovery Glic :)

11. Chas says:

Thanks for the comments, boys. It was always going to be a bit of a space filler. Rocky, I agree about being there, Sunderland over Thomas for me for that reason. I imagine if we’d got into WHL we wouldn’t have seen the goal anyway.

Rasp, trust you! :)

Glic, made me laugh out loud. Hehehe.

Thanks so much, Chas. Only attended two of those live.

You missed Charlie George’s screamer in 71 :) (completed the double)

:lol: chas,

Thanks again for a great post in these lean blogging times. You’ve put in far more effort than most today and brought a smile to our faces and a swelling of our chests :P

My favourite last minute goal (alright not quite last minute) would have been RvP’s goal against Norwich to put us 3:2 up and ahead of the tots in the battle for 3rd … but you know what happened next :roll:

14. supreetkini says:

This may sound weird, but it has to be Bendtner against Wolves a couple of years ago, in the 95th minute!!We had like 30 shots, and there was such relief when he scored and kept us in the title race!!:)
    But then you know what happened next! :/

15. goonerjake says:

Should be every fans best senario. 2 nil down at half time and a player sent off a biased ref. That’s what happened at bolton two seasons ago. Equalised with a rvp penalty and scored the winner late on. For the life of me can’t remember who scored the winner. But what a game. I’m sure someone out their remembers the date all goalscorers and the player sent off. All I can plainly remember is getting out of my seat and squating on the stairs of the lower tear to the left hand side of the goal for most of the second half.

Thanks chas, gotta be 89 for me.

Nver mind last minute goals. Does any one remember Brazil scoring from a corner in the 78 world cup, but plonker “Clive look at me Thomas” disallowing it because full time passed while the ball was in flight? Now thats what i would like to see happen to Totnumb. They need a goal to avoid relegation and celebrate like mad only for some jumped up ref to disalow it because time was up whilst the shot was on the goal line. The thought of this scenario actuly happening fills me with such excitement that describing how delicious it makes me feel would not pass Peaches mums test.

17. Norfolk Gooner says:

It’s the ’71 goal does it for me. We started queueing about 4pm and got in fifteen minutes before kick-off just as the gates were closed. I managed to get near the front using my diminutive, Spurs supporting, wife as a pathfinder. What a night! Even better was being inside Wembley on the following Saturday to witness Charlie George’s winner to complete the double.

Ah! Those were the days!!

18. robbinURpersie says:

hey Chas..top stuff mate, love your work..

i know this wasnt last minute but it will stand out in my mind for a while to come because we were and are still fighting the good fight..

87th minute

“you cant buy class”

Rasp’s favourite

Artettttttaaaaaaaa

19. robbinURpersie says:

1-0 spank you for coming

Didn’t mean to offend you yesterday,robbin. My comment wasn’t specifically directed at you. I know you haven’t been on AA for a while but we had a lengthy discussion about Cesc a while back and I really did have a close contact with the late Danny Fiszman. Anyway, apologies.

21. neamman says:

Kennedy’s goal does it for me..given all that was riding on it.. My favorite goal ever has to be TH14 goal against Liverpool when he strode through their defence. I was in the north bank screaming … pass it.. pass it.. fool, that I was!! It was meaningful to me as I had flown in from Canada with my youngest only 3 hours before the game. Raced to the hotel, collected the tickets and arrived just before kickoff. Not even time to go to the shop.

22. glic says:

Terry
    I can imagine how delicious it would make you feel.
    Would it be like scoring in the last minute with the lady at number 36, She think`s it`s all over, it is now ! :lol:

23. Good article! I believe RVP’s volley at Anfield last season was also one of the finest last min winners that we have witnessed in recent times.

Also, Arteta’s screamer against Man City at the Emirates was one of my favourite winning goals, although it was scored in 87th min, not at the death but I still love it.

Up the Arsenal…

24. robbinURpersie says:

Kelsey, all good..done and dusted..

lot of tumbleweeds rolling around today

25. robbinURpersie says:

everybody must be watching Andy Murray…
    at least with wimbledon you get a ‘fix’ of some green grass til pre season games start

26. TT says:

Chas, thank you very much for those videos. I particularly appreciate “Thomas Vermaelen v Newcastle 2012″, simply because it gives me, a long distance fan, a taste of being at an Arsenal game. Great atmosphere, even with the jittery camera, and all that.

27. gunnern5 says:

Kelsey, Re your post at 2:32.

That’s interesting – how do you keep in contact with Fizman?

GN5

You walked into that one, he put it in the past tense.

Moving on.

I am glad we didn’t have a discussion about Wenger sometime ago or we would all be told to move on and stop talking about that as well.

Cornwall, you got it exactly. hahahaha

30. gunnern5 says:

LB;

And you think I didn’t realize that?

31. rhyle says:

RvP has just announced he won’t be signing a new deal.

He’s off.

Hi rhyle, I rather suspect you’re right (and probably to city) but what is your source? – I can’t find it anywhere on the net.

33. rhyle says:

Sky Sports News…and RvP’s Twitter, apparently…

If it’s true that he’s not signing a new deal, I still reckon we’ll hold him to his final year.

35. rhyle says:

from SSN:

Robin van Persie has announced he will not be extending his contract at Arsenal, with a statement on his official website reading: “I’ve thought long and hard about it, but I have decided not to extend my contract. You guys, the fans, have of course the right to disagree with my view and decision and I will always respect your opinions.”

We should definitely NOT sell him to Citeh.

This is a real test of the club’s PR now.

We need to come out with a statement today saying we are disappointed etc, but that we will not be releasing Robin until his contract expires.

38. rhyle says:

Here’s more from Van Persie: “Out of my huge respect for Mr. Wenger, the players and the fans I don’t want to go into any details, but unfortunately in this meeting it has again become clear to me that we in many aspects disagree on the way Arsenal FC should move forward.”

And more from Van Persie: “I am very proud of being part of this fantastic club for the last eight years. As soon as Mr Gazidis is back from his two-week holiday in America further meetings will follow and I will update you if and when there are more developments.”

39. rhyle says:

My vote is for making Diaby, Chamakh or Park our captain for next season…

And the captaincy should be passed to someone else (Verm, Sagna, BFG or Arteta).

41. gunnern5 says:

Three messages from VP which, according to Sky Sports, are from his official website.

Read from the bottom up.

………………………………………………………………………………………

And more from Van Persie: “I am very proud of being part of this

by @skysportsrobp 12:30 PM

by @skysportsrobp 12:30 PM

42. gunnern5 says:

And another one bites the dust . . .

I’m not going to break the site rules, but my gut reaction is $%&* him.

I will feel far more bitter over this than Cesc particularly if he goes to city.

We will not keep him to see out his contract, he will be sold. I expect that deep down, no one on the management side expects us to finish above city next season.

44. robbinURpersie says:

ABSOLUTELY GUTTED…

Rocky @5.31pm, Agree 100% but i just dont see it happening…

This is the last time i get emotionally attached to a player, long gone are the days of characters such as Pat Rice..

time to think of a new name (moniker?)

RvP- Thanks for the memories

45. rhyle says:

‘Tis what ’tis…my son’s first Arsenal hero (he’s 3) gone before he can say his name properly…

46. robbinURpersie says:

Nowhere, does he mention the board?

well done Ivan n co. this pattern is getting tedious

This is the bit I don’t like.

Gutted but not entirely unexpected. I wouldn’t be surprised if this was all stage managed weeks ago and that’s why we bought Giroud and Podolski.

His farewell to the crowd at The Hawthorns was a big clue.

Hopefully he moves abroad but not to start in the Pl with City.

As I have said before how can the fans identify with players anymore, football sometimes makes me sick

48. robbinURpersie says:

Rasp, maybe the board chose not to renew..like Terry says we sell our best to survive until this new dawn comes?

49. TT says:

Assuming for the moment that Arsenal want to cash in on RvP, can Arsenal even get a decent price for him now that everyone knows he will leave next year?

Clearly a club that is desperate to have his service right away would tender a bid. Are there any clubs like that? Alternatively, a club that cleverly wants to avoid a bidding war on RvP’s wages next year might also bid for him this year. Outside of that, clubs will just wait for his contract to expire, no? Not that he will go to any old club, if we can believe his statement that he want to leave Arsenal because “we [AW, IG vs RvP] in many aspects disagree on the way Arsenal FC should move forward.”

I wish RvP would have kept quiet, signed a two year contract, and allowed Arsenal to shop him around. That would have given Arsenal more bargaining power. (Something like what ManU did with Ronaldo? I’m not clear on the details of that.)

Drama for Arsenal again! :(

50. rhyle says:

Man City thought nothing of paying £24m for Nasri last year who was in exactly the same circumstances, TT…would be surprised to see him stay…would be even more surprised to see him go for less than £20m.

GN5

That will learn me. I really am having a bad couple of days.

I even wrote a post for tomorrow which is now redundant due to today’s news.

TT

If van Persie had signed a two year extention he would have commanded less wages from the potential purchaser.

This is no surprise, but still upsetting.

I feel sorry for the younger supporters who will never experience a time when fans were fans, not consumers.

Modern football stinks

54. Better take down the RVP pictures on this site, thoroughly gutted by this news even more than last year’s Fab saga. Its coz we stuck by him during his off field antics and injuries for 7 years, and this is how he repays us. He wants ambition, AW went out of his way and got 2 world class players even before the window opened. If this isnt a sign of ambition I dont know what is.

Tony Adams once said “Play for the name on the front and they will remember the name on the back.” Sadly, those words dont hold any meaning in this era of player power.

55. glic says:

It pissed me off when Na$ri and Cesc left, more because it left us in the shit, but this feels like a stab in the back, I`m absolutely gutted, never thought it would happen, I feel numb. :(

I understand all the reasons why we probably will end up selling RvP and probably to the oily Mancs.

But… just for once I would love the club to make a proper statement of intent by holding Robin to his contract, even if he never sets foot on the pitch next season.

57. goonerjake says:

Angry!

However I can not get on his website, it is not responding.
    Has it repotred something false without Robin’s consent?
    Has it been taken down?
    Has Robin taken it down?
    Has Arsenal told him to take it down?

I love hope.

Another player who finally has one good season… then he wants to leave.

Same with Flamini, Adebarndoor, Na$ri…

We have to make a stand as a club to stop this happening – and the only way we can do that is by forcing the ungrateful Dutchman to see out his contract.

Otherwise what happens next summer if Jack has had a great season?

I know it’s all about money for players these days, but I thought van Persie would have more character and more of a sense of obligation to the club that paid him a fortune for years to sit on a treatment bed.

So, so gutted.

Emotional stuff Rocky and understandably so but I would prefer us to get as much as we can for him and improve the squad.

60. glic says:

“Robbin Van Persie, he leaves when he wants to” !.

jake
    I imagine he has shut it down after getting 10,000 angry messages from betrayed Gooners.

62. robbinURpersie says:

The complete article:
    The prolific forward has been heavily linked with a move away from the Emirates Stadium with a year left on his current deal.

Van Persie has released a statement on his official website to make it clear that he will not be remaining at the club beyond his present contract.

“This is an update for the fans about my current situation. I have kept quiet all this time out of respect and loyalty for the club and as agreed with Mr Gazidis and Mr Wenger, but since there is so much speculation in the media, I think it is fair for you guys to know what’s really going on at the moment.

“As announced earlier this year I had a meeting with the boss and Mr Gazidis after the season. This was a meeting about the club’s future strategy and their policy. Financial terms or a contract have not been discussed, since that is not my priority at all.

“I personally have had a great season but my goal has been to win trophies with the team and to bring the club back to its glory days.”

He continued: “Out of my huge respect for Mr Wenger, the players and the fans I don’t want to go into any details, but unfortunately in this meeting it has again become clear to me that we in many aspects disagree on the way Arsenal FC should move forward.

“I love the club and the fans, no matter what happens. I have grown up and became a man during my time with Arsenal FC,” he added.

“Everybody at the club and the fans have always supported me over the years and I have always given my all (and more) on and off the pitch. I am very proud of being part of this fantastic club for the last eight years.

“As soon as Mr Gazidis is back from his two-week holiday in America further meetings will follow and I will update you if and when there are more developments.”

Van Persie scored 37 goals in 48 appearances for Arsenal last season and the news is likely to prompt interest from a number of big clubs across Europe.

Manchester City and Juventus are among the clubs to have been repeatedly linked with signing the Dutchman.

Ok, so where do we think he is going?

My money is on Juve for 12mil.

I wrote that before I saw Robbin’s comment.

LB
    I am emotional about this.

Perhaps because I fooled myself into thinking that Robin had something more to him than either Cesc or Na$ri.

He was the best captain we’ve had since Vieira and I just can’t get over the fact that he is heading off the moment he has finally got through a full season.

So… who should the arm band go to next?

Vermaelen is the obvious choice in terms of character – the trouble is, I wouldn’t have him in my starting 11 as I think our best CB pairing is BFG and Kozzer.

That statement has been made by someone desperate to leave.

That is an advert to other clubs that he definitely wants to leave and he is trying to blame Arsenal by using the excuse that we lack ambition.

What happened to a polite chat over a cup of coffee you two faced rat.

67. jer says:

Disappointed.

68. glic says:

His father recently said, that out of respect to Arsenal, he (RVP) would not join another English club.
    I agree with Rocky, keep him for the year left. If he helps us win a trophy, then it`s worth more than the money ( to us fans ) !.

Arteta would be my choice for captain.

70. robbinURpersie says:

i hope Gazidiz goes missing in America never to return….

So van persie joins the list of wankers that try and pass the blame of his departure onto the board. The only man i see leaving is him, not me, not you, not Wenger, just him.Be a man and take responsibility for your actions you prick.

You wont corrupt me. “Jumpers for goal posts you Bastards”

LB
    Arteta for me too. Was he captain at Everton?

RurP
    Why is it Gazidis’ fault?

74. goonerjake says:

TMHT

Great comment. No one is bigger than The Arsenal

With van Per$ie going it must be a cast iron certainty that Theo will follow suit (probably to the Chavs).

We must have put aside a lot of money for RvP’s contract bump. I would love to see us make a big splash in the transfer market now with a top AM.

Why does this feel worse than Henry, Vieira, Cesc, Na$ri?

77. robbinURpersie says:

at first thought i believed he and modric would join mourinho and win the champs league with Madrid, but i remember that his wife made a statement about their childrens education and how important it was for them to stay in England…sadly, now i believe he will join shitty in place for Tevez..

and thats how the cookie might crumble..

but if you read in between the lines, our board are more than comfortable with this decision (and for that i despise them), i doubt we will see anymore activity in the transfer market…

and so the trend continues

78. glic says:

I was so looking forward to the new season, this has put an almighty dampner on it. This started with Abramobitch, then the Sheiks, without their intervention we probably would have had a couple ( at least ) of trophy`s more , Adepaymour, Clichy, Na$ri would still be here and Robin Bastard aswell and the only tossers we would have to worry about would be the Mancs. I said it before and I`ll say it again, their dirty money has been ruining the game we love, roll on FFP.

79. TT says:

Thanks for the response, Rhyle and LB. Really disappointing news.

Seems like many people think RvP is leaving for money, and in some sense, it’s worse if he’s leaving because of his stated reason. Our captain not believing in the strategy and policy of the club, that is pretty sad. I wonder how he could performed so well while he had such serious doubts. Was there a turning point for RvP in this roller-coaster season, or did he come into the year with thoughts like this already.

Ah…. never mind! I agree with Rhyle at 5:32 completely. :)

80. robbinURpersie says:

RL, its what we do now…sell our best to survive, keep it hush and let our PR team make statements to the fans that they want to keep our players…

I’ll change my mind if we keep him to his contract…

RurP
    I really, really don’t think this has anything to do with us wanting to sell him. It’s him wanting to leave, which is, as TT points out, even worse in some ways.

We should buy Gecko as replacement. Ok, hes a lizard, but he will still show more loyalty than this current lot. Hes bound to stick around, once Gecko starts crawling up walls you try shifting him, i know coz ive tried, his grip is like superglue

83. rhyle says:

Agreed, RL – it’s much worse. Put it this way – he directly says that he’s spoken with Wenger and doesn’t agree with the direction he’s taking the club in. So much for “respect” for Wenger – RvPKB? Lol…

84. TT says:

Rhyle @ 7:07, I think when RvP said “Out of my huge respect for Mr Wenger…” he meant that he wasn’t going to reveal what strategy/policy he disagrees with. He didn’t mean that he respects Wenger too much to dare disagree with him.

85. glic says:

Is Gazidas some sort of masochist enforcer ?. Didn`t he recently say us fans would be pleasantly surprised with something to be happy about !.
    We should employ Levy, How the fuck does he get good players to stay at a shit club ?

86. robbinURpersie says:

RL, in his statement he says that financial terms were not discussed and it was not about money..

I saw RvPs facial expressions a couple of times last yr when he seemed to get frustrated with the likes of AA23, Ramsey, Gerv even Theo..

I dont believe we will be doing much more business in the window and that there lies the problem..RvP lost faith in the youngsters around him or them developing in time before he retires and the board cant guarantee that they can bring in any more players or the clibre RvP believes is needed to win..

In his statement he thanks everyone but the board…

the good thing is its out in the open, even though i didnt think the media ban had been lifted, but at least now we can wait for Gazidiz to openly reply to what he has said…

My opinion, but i think this was all in the pipeline before the Euros and by all parties….

87. robbinURpersie says:

Gazidiz promised us a big signing, someone to get excited about…
    personally i would have been over the moon with RvPs signature, but i said it before, this pattern of events is all too common and its getting tedious…

88. glic says:

I`m so angry, If I saw Robbin Knows Best outside admiring my “award winning “stone wall, I`d kick him up the rectum coz I want too !.

89. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

Like whoever else said, it its very disappointing news from our captain, mainly because I thought more of him as a man (whom I’ve never met…lol)

All jokes aside, I wish he’d just told us straight out – none of this cloak and dagger after the Euro’s shite.

I t really isn’t the end of the world as far as I’m concerned, he was one (very good) cog in a mighty machine. Whilst we still have the quality that remains in our squad then I’m happy enough.

As my mate Kily says..if you don’t want to be at Arsenal, then fuck right off.

Doesn;t mean I dislike anyone who’s left us (ie I still love Cesc), but it just means I support the club first, and there’s no begging anybody to stay.

RurP
    Players never mention the Board.

If you’re right that all parties knew before the Euros, then it means Giroud is a replacement for RvP.

It also means Rasp was right yesterday (and I was wrong) in our interpretation of AW’s quotes about wanting to keep van Per$ie at all costs.

But I don’t think our transfer business is anything like done.

I still think we should hang on to him for one more year. We have to stop the year-on-year bleed at some point.

91. rhyle says:

I know TT…but still…

My point really was that it speaks volumes that our Captain(!) doesn’t agree with the direction we’re taking the club in, doesn’t believe we can compete for trophies and doesn’t think that fourth place is acceptable…

goonerjake,
    Here’s that comeback you were talking about against Bolton.
    Diaby sent off.
    I only posted it a few weeks back and I think Peaches said that ut now seemed like a team of traitors………add one more to that list.

93. robbinURpersie says:

SS, well said sir, although our best quality keeps going out the door..

im a bit like GliC, feel numb….its enough to drive me to drink

94. Slimgingergooner says:

Just hope the board sell him now. Why keep a player who doesn’t want to be here? Take the money and get an attacking midfielder in. He’s only had a good 18 months for us in the whole time he’s been at the club. Cash in and move on.

Another example of a player showing zero loyalty, but with the way fans abuse players these days I can sort of understand it. Also, it’s his last chance to make mega money so can’t really blame him. Footballs no longer a loyal sport so we are only kidding ourselves to expect anything different from these mercernaries. Goodbye, get the next ‘legend’ in!

Vermaelen captain for me, at least he’s shown some passion for the club and said he wants to stay. We will find out in a few years wether he means it or not, but for now, he can be a good captain.

95. glic says:

If we let him go, that will be 2 ” super quality ” players gone within a year and none signed even though we`ve been promised some. What “super quality” player out there and available, will take away the pain ? , any suggestions ?.

I feel great now, listining to Beegees To much heaven “Love is such a beutiful thing” yeeeaahhhh Baby

97. robbinURpersie says:

Rocky, agreed mate… sorry still in shock, i want to cry and get angry but i cant do either..i loved RvP, he was my favourite player since Bergkamp and thats how i hoped it would end…

never get emotionally attached, modern football(ers) suck big time

98. goonerjake says:

Is Van Persie looking after himself and his famiy or is he being disloyal?

One really good year with no injuries and he wants out.

Keep him for his final year of his contract, he will resign when we force him to play at somewhere like Stoke against Ryan breakyourlegs and finish your carreer Shawcross on a cold wet January evening in a carling cup game.

Harsh yes! But so is his decision to leave us.

GLiC
    van Per$ie became “super quality” after about six years.
    Our next “super quality” player may turn out to be Podolski or Giroud, but more likely Wilshere. We’ve never been a club to buy superstars at the peak of their powers (and price tags).

I’m far too disgusted to make any sensible comment.
    The players don’t make any emotional investment in the club only the fans. That’s the way it is, I’m afraid.

Thanks again for comments about the post. At least the traitorous Dutch bar steward’s announcement means it won’t have the lowest comments total for an AA post for a long time. :)

101. TT says:

Rhyle, I agree with you there (@7:20). Very disappointing if he’s leaving because he doesn’t believe in Arsenal anymore.

It hurts even more to read Alan Smith’s comment on ESPN:

“”That [RvP not wanting to extend] doesn’t reflect well, of course, on Arsenal. It’s really disappointing from Arsenal’s point of view. But Robin van Persie is looking at the next few years when he’s 28, 29, 30; he thinks they can’t win trophies. You don’t want to say it but you probably have to agree with him.”

Sharkey

Classy comment.

As i said earlier I really think AW knew a while back and that’s why we bought Podolski and giroud first. Same scenario as last year but just tilted the other way.
    The captain’s armband has become a poisoned chalise not what it should be, a proud time to be captain of a great club.

Who will be next ? theo, Song, vermaelen.
    Tevez will be off and RVP might play a bit part at City.I have fallen out of love with football.

if another player says he wants to win trophies I will scream.Maybe if they all stayed put we might have had one or two in the cupboard these past few years,but really it’s just simply money.

Statement from Arsenal:

“

We have to respect Robin’s decision not to renew his contract,” begins Arsenal’s statement. “Robin has one year to run on his current contract and we are confident that he will fulfil his commitments to the Club.

“We are planning with ambition and confidence for next season with Arsenal’s best interests in mind.”

Either we’re going to make him see it out (in which case YES :D ) or we want to talk the price up.

105. robbinURpersie says:

GLiC…..Modric in Sol Campbell style :-) :-) :-)

TT
    Smudger never has a good word to say about Arsenal, so I’d take that with a pinch of salt.

107. Slimgingergooner says:

Personally, I believe there are some good points to RvP leaving. We will no longer have to rely on 1 player to win us games and score all the goals, I would much rather have 3 players sharing the goals than 1. Also it will mean others know they have to step up, which can only be a good thing. If the money we get for him can be used to buy someone like M’Vila then our squad will be much improved from last season and we will have much more of a balanced side.

108. glic says:

It`s takes a lot for me to lose my sense of humour, so I will be straight around the Doctors tomorrow and tell him ,” I`m an Arsenalholic “, I`m not happy, give me some pills !. Knowing my luck , he`s probably a gooner himself and will be hanging from the ceiling by his testicles when I enter !.

night fever night fever , yeahhh, come to Terry baby.

Can you just imagine the reception Robin would get if he stayed
    for the next season?
    I can’t see that happening in a million years.
    I’ll eat LB’s house if it does (he certainly hasn’t got any items of clothing left!) :)

111. Gooner In Exile says:

Lovely post Chas, Andy Linnighan 93.

No other news is there…good….off to relax in post Torch Relay glow.

Naked and homeless — not a good look.

113. robbinURpersie says:

Chas,
    112 responses so far and still counting…not even 8pm yet…your doing quite well son

114. glic says:

robbin ( yes ,you seriously have to change that name before people start hating you :) )
    Yes , Egor will do for a start ! :)

115. glic says:

Yes chas, what great debate your post has created !. :)
    Have you got a vid for last minute transfers !.

Glic :)

117. OMG I really don’t know what to say. I’m surprised at the announcement, I felt he would stay. He’s totally shat on the love and respect that we’ve given him.

What is our club coming to when we can’t even hold onto our captains? This is far worse than Cesc leaving last year, Cesc’s head was turned by his spanish mates and his heart was always going to return to Barcelona at some point. Robin’s heart is filled with bad feelings about the club ………. very sad :(

118. Egor says:

Egor?

119. Egor says:

its gonna be very temporary GLiC, sounds like a name associated with war crimes :-)

120. glic says:

Sorry Egor, but Dracula`s Egor has a remarkable resemblance to Modric !. No offence intended.

“war crimes” hahahahaha. robbin, i suggest “suker super 9″…..or stick to egor if you want. hahahaha

WE won’t keep RvP, it would be bad for the dressing room, bad for the supporters, bad for the bank balance, especially bad for the players who would be on the pitch if he was gone etc etc

His statement is ill conceived because he is seeking to justify his decision by saying he doesn’t agree with something but then not explaining that.

He will get continually booed if he comes to the Ems in a man city shirt.

123. So, it comes to pass, another summer transfer window and another superstar skipper leaves Arsenal.

I pretty much expected RvP to go when he said, after the West Brom game, “whatever happens I’ll always love the club” however I held out a little hope that the long stretches of being out with injury during which time the club and fans stood by him and believed in him would have some effect.

But his departure is just a sympton of the age we live in regarding player loyalty.

On the bright side, at least we have longer to replace our skipper than last summer.

UTA !

124. Gooner In Exile says:

Ok there is some news, this sums up my feelings:

In all honesty RvP has earned us £20-30m with his goals last year giving us CL qualification, he cost us £2.75m, we should force him to see out his contract. We are not going to get top dollar with that statement. He is 30 next season lets see how many come in for him now. Time to stop letting the players dictate terms.

If I see any comments saying we should have not let him get to one year I think my head might explode….he has given us one “full” season. Bu rights we should be offering Diaby a new contract now, how many who are going to say we should have signed RvP up two years ago would agree?

Who’s going to write a post about this for tomorrow?

126. glic says:

Sorry Egor, It might be Igor who is the hideously deformed Modric lookalike, always having problems with my i`s and e`s !.

127. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

Cheers LB….by ‘classy’…you mean the ‘fuck right off’ bit.

They don’t call me Sharkspeare for nowt ;-)

128. goonermichael says:

Just read the RVP news. the ungrateful piece of shit deserves everything that’s coming to him. Wanker. Somebody tell me how he’s different to nasri?

Rasp & chary, both spot on.

Ime over it already, onwards and upwards. Come on you mighty Gunners

I’m not bitter :roll: but I hope he goes to city, gets injured in the first game and spends the rest of his time there sitting next to na$ri on the bench.

He’s not as good an out and out striker as Aguero and so who’s place would he take in the side? Maybe we can have Balotelli in exchange :lol:

131. goonermichael says:

Rasp
    you wouln’d be able to print how i feel. Hope he gets injured tosser

132. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

Well said GiE…those mentalists who spout that shite about one year left, are also spewing that Denilson has three years left, or that we are (were?) stuck with Nik B for so long.

133. Exactly Mr Syrup, I only hope Gooners world wide can brace themselves for the inevitable ribbing we are going to get from Chavs, Spuds, Mancs etc.

Seems like the son of David Dein strikes again.

Stick together guys, and keep the faith.

Hello GM
    Sadly the only difference is that van Per$ie owes us more loyalty than Na$ri.

Tevez in a swap/cash deal?

136. Shard says:

OK.. I’ve had the initial kick in the gut reaction out of the way, and on reflection, it’s not really as big a deal as it seemed a while back. I think the worst of it will be the media noise about Arsenal being a selling club, Arsenal not having ambition-even RVP says so blah blah and so on. But the media always say negative things about Arsenal anyway. So well.. meh to that..

The problem is though, do our players start to believe that? I don’t think that should necessarily be the case. Not one of the players we wanted to keep, but failed to, left out of ‘ambition’. My concept of ambition is to want to win, not join a team more likely to win. You aren’t the best unless you beat the best. Joining the best and tagging along for a medal isn’t my idea of a winner. Besides, why do the team with the most money manage to get a ‘winning’ team anyway? Because players move for, and play for, money. Everything else, is secondary. It appears Robin is no different. So be it. What irks me is the classless way he went about his announcement. Also, I’d have thought he wouldn’t join City, but it seems more likely that that is what will happen.

HOWEVER… not to give anyone any false hope, because I think he’s off, and his manner and language of his statement says as much.. but.. Arsenal’s statement seems to read like they intend to hold on to him, and Robin’s statement ends with something about having further discussions with Gazidis, which taken in conjunction with ‘differences of opinion’ could mean that he’s using it to pressure Arsenal into doing something else he wants, following which he’ll sign on. (Yeah long shot, and honestly, I’m not even hoping for that- but its a TINY possibility that can be concluded from the statement. More likely it’s about which club he’ll accept a transfer to..read $$$$$$)

Now if he’s completely ruled out the possibility of staying, I think its a mistake to hold him to his contract, unless a) we don’t get an offer in the 20m range, or b) we intend to stick him in the reserves. I can’t see scenario b) happening, not least of which is because Wenger wouldn’t do that to a player. and as for a)… following his statement, I doubt someone will be willing to stump up 20million.

Scenario c) means he stays, and plays, and it seems a lot of people are happy with that. I don’t know.. It depends, but will we really have a committed player, when he’s already announced he won;t be signing a new contract? Either he’d just kept quiet about it, and continued playing on next season as well without announcing anything. Now he’s said he’s not on board with Arsenal’s future plan. Maybe it’s because Arsenal had him in his future plan, and he sees his future elsewhere? That to me says, sell. It can’t be good to have a player of that frame of mind around, regardless of his quality. Remember how Cesc played (or didn’t play) in his last season. Nasri, after February? Arsenal, for all our problems, finished better in the league WITHOUT players of that quality. because we had a better attitude. We’d all thought RVP was different. Turns out he wasn’t. So I say..SELL.. preferably abroad, even if it means a 5-10million ‘loss’.

Its already started chary, I’ve had choruses of ‘he leaves when he wants’ from spud colleagues at work

138. Maybe Nik is going to stay :P :D :lol:

139. Egor says:

GLiC, all good mate, its coming to the end of my shift…night all

140. Egor says:

id take balotelli before tevez Rocky

Hi shard, you must ignore the club statements that they want to keep hold of him. It is the standard fall-back position when they want to get the best price possible. Understandable in some ways but I really don’t know why they bother because no-one buys it.

142. Egor says:

but his agent says his worth 200mil

143. It’s inevitable Raspers, they’ve only just got a manager in and now they are licking their lips at the thought of the broken cannons on the back pages in the morning.

I suggest singing “Thursday night, Channel 5; Thursday night, Channel 5″ back to them.

I’ve cleansed the sidebar of all tributes to RvP

There may be another interpretation of AW’s comment this week about wanting to keep RvP “at all costs.”

Maybe it was a message to the Board.

Assuming he already knew that RvP was going to not extend, it’s AW’s way of letting the Board know that he expects them to hang on to him for his final year.

146. Shard says:

Rasp

I didn’t say I thought that would happen. I, in fact, don’t want it to happen. Oh, and the thing about the club statement is, they don’t really SAY they’ll be holding him to his contract for the year. They just say they expect him to fulfill his obligations. Probably, turning up for pre season training etc. Actually, that’s one of the coldest official messages by Arsenal in recent times that I can remember. As close to a F*** you we’ll get from the site.

I think we’ll be alright. We looked really strong in the attacking front with Robin in there. Even without him it’s not all bad. I think we need someone on the wing though, because it seems Podolski won’t be competition for Gervinho after all. Ryo won’t be enough as backup, and Gervinho will be going to the ACN too. Gotze?? :)

147. Raspers, how about taking off his Player of the year pic ?

Rasp
    As well as the IN and OUT boxes at the top, maybe we should also have a LIMBO section.

149. glic says:

Treacherous , backstabbing,disloyal, front bottomed, bastard, all the loyalty shown through ill health and now just wants to up and go, well she can stay down in the cellar with the reserves of turd piles , I hate my MiL !. :evil:
    Robin, and you can fuck off when you want too, I`m so over you now ! ( shit, that made me sound like a right shirt lifter ! )

LIMBO
    van Persie
    Bendtner
    Arshavin
    Denilson
    Vela
    Chamakh
    Walcott?
    Song?

151. Well if he had a ‘masterplan’ to releasing his statement now he’d better not be reading his twitter account because some of the comments there are very distasteful …………….

152. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

I wish Robin had simply said that he isn’t signing a new contract. He simply doesn’t need to start talking any shite abut ‘direction’, or ‘ambition’. Just take the money (if that’s his intention) and fuck right off.

Chas summed it all up with his video at 7.30.

I think he’ll struggle wherever he goes. No team on earth will play to his strengths in the way that we did last season.

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I give you Exhibits A and B – the Dutch Squads at WC2010 and E2012

153. Sharkey – agree with that, poor decision making by the Dutchman methinks

154. Egor says:

the only player in our ranks who i can confidently say is NOT a mercinary is Gunnersaurus, yet we want him gone…

seriously, off this time… que sera sera

155. jnyc says:

I feel sick

156. goonermichael says:

Even is RVC goes we’ll still be stronger with Poldi and Giroud.

157. Gooner In Exile says:

158. How a few of us are feeling right now:

see GM below

159. goonermichael says:

160. goonerjake says:

Hello my fellow gooners,

Its yet another dark day not just for The Arsenal, but football in general. Actually the darkest day was when Bosman got his way through the courts ….but thats another debate.

Where has the loyalty gone? It seems every time we start to love a player he leaves. Say what you will but i believe player power is far too strong. Contracts are not worth the paper they are written on and everybody is a mercenary.

This has had a knock on effect with my choice of player I choose to honour this year on my replica kit…. None of the above…. that is no player name on the back of my shirt. I have gone for a number 7 (because it is my most favourite number and some great legends have worn the number.. when numbers ment something) plus my moniker of GOONERJAKE. This may sound rather self indulgent but bear with me. I have a great number, I honor the name gooner and I identify myself as a gooner.

Plus I wont leave…. WHERE ELSE WOULD I GO.

Keep the faith,

GOONERJAKE

VICTORIA CONCORDIA CRESIT

161. goonermichael says:

great minds think alike and all that.

162. He could of course be trying to do a Rooney, but i’m not sure the fans will like it, we never really loved Adebayor after he held the club to ransom

163. Illybongani says:

Greetings….not particularly surprised or for that matter, bothered. He says he loves the club, well he doesn’t … They are just his employers who don’t pay as much as his next employer. The only people that love the club are us, the supporters. True love, for richer and for poorer, in sickness and in health. Unconditional love…not on the condition that we win trophies and go in the right direction.

So fuck off Robin, and do your stuff somewhere else. You will grow to love them too, eventually. Almost as much as your £1m a month wages. Let’s just hope you don’t get injured time and time again and get charged with rape. Your new employers may not be as supportive and as forgiving as your old club.

By the way if Wenger didn’t make statements that no one believes like we must keep Van Persie, Nasri, Fabregas etc at all costs there would be people coming on here saying that Wenger doesn’t care, he doesn’t care enough to even make a statement.

Hi Rocky,
    Good idea, I’ll add your ‘in limbo’ section shortly.

Hi LB,
    I wouldn’t say that, but I would be interested to know if AW knew RvP wasn’t going to sign a contract whne he made those statements

166. goonermichael says:

Hi Illy, that was pretty much my reaction when the news first broke – and it will continue to be my feeling if he goes to city or the chavs. If he opts for Juventus or any other foreign club, I will allow myself to look back on his time with some affection.

168. Shard says:

LB

I think the more.. ahem.. gleeful..chaps will now suggest that Wenger’s statement about keeping RVP and tugging at his heartstrings, backfired. This will now become Wenger’s fault, along with his 7 years of mismanagement blah blah..

Actually, I do think Robin’s statement came out now, and even the content, as a direct response to Wenger’s quote. I think Wenger was trying to reach out to RVP to change his mind, but failing that, to increase his price. That is something which Robin doesn’t deem in his best interests, because if the fee is high, Clubs (city) might not buy, and even if they do, that extra bit will come out of his wages. So the statement is meant to reduce his value, and make it tougher for Arsenal to hold on to him. Which makes me wish, that just for once, we behave in a ‘bad’ way, and deny him his transfer and stick him in the reserves. I would, if I thought we could afford it. If we can, I’d implore Arsene to look past his principles (both as an economist, and as a lover of football) and bench Robin for a year. It won’t happen, but I wish it could.

169. TotalArsenal says:

Lost for words – what an absolute back-stabbing idiot. Soooo disappointed to have the f**king liberty to come out with such as statement against the club. The selfish pr***!!!!!!

De hondelul wants out and the club that would be willing to buy the vuile lange droplul does not have much money/ try to play hard ball. I am with LB that Juventus wants the vuile smeerlap, and the hoerenloper is playing a game with them to force Arsenal to accept a lower price for de teringlijer.

I would love to be with Rocky and keep schijteikel at all costs, even it it was to do the pre-match entertainment instead of Gunnersaurus. But what is the point? He just becomes a cancer over and through the team. Truly gutted – thought he was bigger than that. :(

Well by his statement RVP is no better than the rest who left and in some ways he is the biggest mercenary of the lot.What a bad judge of character I am.

.What will the youngsters like The Ox,Wilshere, Frimpong even Gibbs and Theo be thinking. It can’t be a good thing for comradship at the start of the season . There will be uproar by many that we continue to sell our best players year after year
    I would rather have no expectations this coming season and then everything else will be a bonus.

171. goonermichael says:

I still think we’ll have a good season next season. I won’t be able to cheer that (you know what) though. Probably better to sell him to city and hope shawcross breaks his leg and dislocates his ankle. I still love Dudu

172. Glic's Wall says:

Glic u r a tart !

I fort we wuz an item. Now I see u for wot u r.

Robin Van Basterd ent wirf it. Say sorry an evryfing an I mite tek u back u creem tart

173. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

Agreed Total….especially with the Dutch bits.

Frankly, all jokes aside I am particularly sick of players talking shite about our club. Players who should know and behave better.

Shard – the absolutely last thing I’ll be doing is taking any notice oft he AAA brigade. I can only imagine the sort of bilious shite that they are spewing today. Just remember that its the same bilious shite that they would have spewed last summer if RVP had been given a fat new four year contract back then.

ie “That fucking mug Arsene has given top dollar to our top crock, just cos he managed a run of ten games towards the end of last fucking season. Clueless French prick”

174. goonermichael says:

I think walcott will follow him.

175. Gooner In Exile says:

Kelsey, I share your concerns but there is a part of me that says:

Is that it now? Have we finally said goodbye to the players that should have won us something but never managed to get us over the line.

Some of us after Milan away suggested maybe it was time to take a few backward steps before taking some forward leaps. Maybe it’s still time to do that, and RvP leaving gives Arsene a chance to go into the dressing room and say “right is there anyone who doesn’t want to be here? There’s the door, give me the transfer request, I want players who love this club as much as me.”

176. glic says:

My last comment on the matter.
    What I find most insulting as someone ( all of us on here ) who dearly loves this club, the club that is my first love ( after my mum ), the club that I think about every few seconds, is RVP saying ,” I love the club and the fans “. Insulting bollocks, would any of us leave as fans ? ,never !, would any of us leave as a player ? , never !. I love this house I live in , but I`ve seen ones in the paper I`d rather have. I love my children, do I want the chap up the roads children instead , I`d rather die !. Different loves Robin, no doubt you`ll love the next one.
    We the fans love this club. If you loved this club, you wouldn`t even think twice about leaving, If you loved this club like we do, you`ld be here helping make the club you love get better, captaining them to glory.
    Your a liar and you dont love this club, look at all the names on this site, we can all proudly look in the mirror and see the reflection of a true gooner. Dont Insult Us.
    The only person you`ve gave any pleasure today is Adrian Durham, I bet he`s knocked a few out today in the Talk Sport Toilets !

And now I start with the words of a new chapter in my life as a gooner.
    Robin who ?.

177. Shard says:

You know, there’s a chance that our season will turn to shit cos of this. No Robin means Goldi Poldi, and Ollo Giro are the strikers. That leaves Gervinho, Miyaichi, Ox, and Theo on the wings. That isn’t enough in terms of attack. Now we could also keep Chamakh, and Park even, which adds some depth, but no real quality.

Combined with the now non-option of playing RVP in the hole (please ‘insert’ pun with the words Robin, playing and hole), I think we should buy an attacking midfielder/winger, of real quality. Who? I suggested Gotze earlier, and well, that would get us fans excited Ivan. But that won’t happen. I also think we could do with a DM, but with RVP gone, I think the focus has to be the AM/Winger, rather than a DM.

However, as I think the season could turn to shit, I then think that Wenger and the club will be doing everything to not let it go all bad, so quickly. Even if Theo leaves, it won’t be for cheap (though I think Theo will stay if Robin is gone because we’ll have more money to give him), I’m sure Arsene and co will manage to pull off something. Players come and go. I’m not going to let Robin ruin my excitement for the season ahead. We’ll finish wherever we finish. It’s the start I’m looking forward to.

178. glic says:

Redders :lol:

179. A lot of the buying power of the club is reduced because of the salaries paid to players that we can’t sell. Rocky’s in Limbo list is worth quite a hefty sum.

180. Still need someone to write a post for tomorrow please ……………………..

TA – did you see my email?

We have enough time to get in a couple of decent players to improve the quality of the squad and that’s exactly what we should do if we don’t want to have RvP’s words shoved down our throats every time we lose a game.

182. Gooner In Exile says:

They can try shoving what they like I won’t be eating them…

Mugabe media lockdown tomorrow.

Oh and before I see another tweet saying Giroud and Pod were pants in Euros (or didn’t play) someone tell me how good RvP was….

183. Gooner In Exile says:

Bendtner
    Squid
    Fab1
    Mannone
    Park
    Chamakh

I reckon we need to concentrate on 1 keeper, 1 midfielder unless others are convinced to stay.

184. tomstoned says:

im fascinated…here we are againand i told You lot that when we bought Podolski..it was (sorry cant be bothered to write the name)replacement..
    what i cant understand is that some Gooners dont get what is happening at Our Beloved Arsenal..study the figures and happenings since kroenke the demolisher and Nazidis was invited in..they are set on ruining Our club…making money..and rip us apart from the inside..Arsenal are fast becoming a americanized moneymaking machine..
    as for the dutchman…here we are carrying you trough thick and thin..caring for you for many years of injuries and illness..and then you have the nerve to treat us like this ???..its so disrespectful that i cant understand it really…in my book your dead !!

185. Gooner In Exile says:

Hmmm what does Yossi know?

186. Gooner In Exile says:

So it’s SK and IG ripping heart out of our club but RvP is disrespecting us? One or the other surely?

187. Gooner In Exile says:

Well one out of limbo

188. tomstoned says:

Gie..
    its of course up to you..but as you choose to turn the other cheek..have a look at whats been going on since 07…you might just be surprised…the other bloke your mentioning..well to me he is dead and buried..no class..whatsoever !!..
    but of course your right kloondyke and nazidis have been just awesome for The Arsenal :)and nazidis was spot on..we have somthing to be excited about this summer…The Arsenal is holding a garage sale..and dont worry..they will build a new bar at the emirates..im sure..

189. Gooner In Exile says:

RvPs injury history since 2007

07/08 11.01.2008 09.03.2008
    07/08 02.04.2008 08.04.2008
    08/09 30.08.2008 06.09.2008 Malleolar injury
    08/09 08.12.2008 12.12.2008
    08/09 27.03.2009 14.04.2009 tear in the abductor muscle
    08/09 23.04.2009 05.05.2009 groin strain
    09/10 14.11.2009 18.04.2010
    10/11 28.08.2010 08.11.2010 Malleolar injury
    10/11 27.02.2011 08.03.2011 Twisted knee

190. neamman says:

Disappointing. I really thought he would stay. I like the idea of a Tevez swap deal.

191. TT says:

Hi Rasp, regarding your 8:19, looks like you forgot to clear out “Robin van Player of the Year”.

I think we have all been a bit naive (myself included). Podolski was the signing AW really wanted (it was the Ox last year). RvP had the meeting and told AW and IG that he wasn’t going to sign a new contract and it is obvious that they agreed on a media lockdown until after the Euros.

Knowing RvP was leaving we then signed Giroud as his replacement. After that I can imagine RvP getting frustrated reading the reports (true or not) that AW was saying he should stay/begging him to stay/designed to buy time, and so he decided to put an end to the nonsense and tell everyone of the decision he had made weeks ago. We could view this as a generous act as now it is out in the open we can try to move on. Unfortunately he was not well advised on the wording and that has caused a lot of acrimony.

Don’t forget he stalled on signing his last contract and openly said that he wanted the club to demonstrate more ambition and improve the squad. Maybe he feels let down that the promises (in his opinion) weren’t kept.

Thanks TT, it must have slipped from my mouse – its gone now.

194. Gooner In Exile says:

Not going to go over old ground Tom. But when Kroenke bought first shares (2007) the board didn’t want him, they only let him take a bigger share because of Usmanov, and Gazidis arrived in 2009.

In 2005 Vieira, 2006 Cole, Kroenke was nowhere near the club. Abramovich was at Chelsea though. Dein was at Arsenal. And who did Dein suggest the board sell out to first to try and compete in the new era? Oh yes Kroenke. Board said no so Dein decided he wanted back in and would ride the coattails of another rich benefactor and sold all his shares for a nice fat profit! None of which the club obviously saw.

Who do you suggest should pay to compete? The fans? Last time I looked there was no fat profit being made in the accounts.

195. goonerjake says:

Hello All,

Sad sad day. Is this the day football finaly died. i dont mean to be melodramatic I dont mean this just because VP10 wants to leave, its because a player who has been supported by his club through rape allegations through continual injuries through all things now decides to show no love all loyalty back and this from a supposed model proffesssional.

If a ‘model pro’ shows no loyalty what can we expect from all the others. No hope thats what.

FOOTBALL IS DEAD……LONG LIVE …erm.. TIDDLY WINKS?

goonerjake
    ;)

Hi neamman, we couldn’t get half way to matching Tevez’s wages, nor Balotelli for that matter.

The spuds can’t pay barndoor what he wants. city will have to devise some clever accounting policy to basically pay other clubs to take their overpaid, surplus to requirements players.

I don’t like what I am hearing about abusive stuff aimed at RvP on twitter and on some blogs… but if anyone thinks we should keep him for a year, have a read and you’ll change your mind. His position is untenable now

198. Gooner In Exile says:

Same happened to Nasri and Cesc, Rasp but fans are entitled to their view, and if a player hurts them what does he expect….ok there should be a line but I will just politely unfollow when he leaves like Cesc like Nasri.

I just wish players would stop using ambition as an excuse. We have ambition, it’s just we can’t pay enough to the players who might be able to fulfil it.

But when you really think about it we can’t, Cole left us to join Chavs on £90k per week, that’s all RvP is on now, what do you reckon Cole has earned per week in the last couple of years £120k, £150k? That’s a big gap.

Hi GiE,

I must admit I find it hard to believe that RvP would leave for money alone. I am beginning to change my view slightly. He led the team magnificently and scored the goals that got us 3rd spot. He gave his all knowing it was probably his last season which is more than the other names you mention.

It’s sad he chose the wrong way to announce his decision, but the players loved him and we loved him last season.

200. TotalArsenal says:

Peaches, Rasp, I will send a short post in the next half hour.

201. goonermichael says:

I hate him rasp. He’s released a statement to force a move. he’s dead.

202. goonermichael says:

Thanks TA, I know it must have been hard for you, we are very grateful

204. goonermichael says:

Rasp
    He has made his position untenable. Publicly saying the club doesn’t match his ambitions makes it impossible to stay and play. he has released a statement without the club knowing to force the issue because he doesn’t want to be held to his contract. He is no different to nasri. He deserves the abuse if nasri does. i won’t go to a match next season unless he’s gone. I hope he isn’t doing preseason with us as i’ve already booked flights for Cologne.

205. Gooner In Exile says:

If its not money he must think his teammates are shit, the ones who provided a fair percentage of his goals, and that have already been added to with Pod and Giroud. The only people who pay for these players are fans (whether membership, tv subs, tickets or merchandise (direct or indirect (inflated costs for every product we buy that endorses PL clubs)).

I have just done some calcs and am trying to work it into a post that’s reasonably easy to read.

Thanks GiE, look forward to reading that. Must get some sleep now, night all

207. TT says:

Great comments at 11:07 and at 11:32, Rasp. The third paragraph in RvP’s statement shouldn’t have been included. That paragraph set fire to a lot of bridges between RvP and Arsenal.

Like you, I appreciate his contribution last season. Furthermore, I’m amazed he could perform so well despite the doubts he now says he has about the direction of Arsenal.

It’s sad if this is how it ends; I’m holding out hope for a better ending in the few months to come before the season starts.

208. Gooner In Exile says:

TT I agree that statement hurt the fans and the club. In some ways Nasri was better at least he left that stuff until he was out of the door.

209. goonermichael says:

TT
    Maybe he was making sure a big club would want him.

210. richie says:

After RvP’s statements holding on to him is not an option! A want away former captain staying in the ranks isn’t now credible for the teams moral, I want Arsenal to cash in and get as much as they can to offset the £2.75mil paid for him plus the nearly £20mil in wages spread over 8 years. Lets face facts we’ve only had one reasonable season (last season) and one great season (this one) in 8 years from RvP, that ain’t a great return in anyone’s books. I would’ve been tempted to out him anyway and there wouldn’t have been a problem doing that if it wasn’t for the Cesc – Nasri saga.

Imagine we kept him by offering him a big money contract and true to form he ended up injured. In Holland both Robin & RvP are know as the “glass legs” and its not without good reason. My only hope in the sale is that its not to one of our league rivals. Everyone knows Money Citeh & the Chav’s have got the clout to pay the £20mil price tag but I’d prefer a sale abroad. Both Real & Barca like slashing the cash so hopefully RvP will do us a favor and head south without refussing personal terms to go only where he wants.

211. goonermichael says:
  212. Rob Lucci says:

Former Arsenal midfielder Paul Merson has warned Robin van Persie he will regret his decision to leave the Gunners.

Skipper Van Persie this afternoon revealed on his official website he would not extend his contract, which runs out at the end of the 2012-13 season.

The 28-year-old cited his desire to win trophies as a key reason for his decision, with Arsenal yet to win any silverware since 2005.

Despite that Merson believes Van Persie, who scored 37 goals in all competitions for the Gunners last term, will live to regret leaving Emirates Stadium and warned that he would be “slaughtered” by Gunners fans if he is unable to secure a move before the new campaign.

“Not many players leave Arsenal, very rarely, and don’t regret it. It’s an unbelievable club,” Merson told Sky Sports News.

“It’s perfect. I’d have liked him to stick it out.

“I’m a bit gutted really. He’s burnt his bridges. If he comes back and they don’t sell him the fans are going to slaughter him.

“They’ll be devastated. He’s a top-drawer player. World class.”

213. richie says:

@ Gooner Michael never a truer word said we can’t afford for him to be at pre-season. The sooner he’s gone the better now!

@TT the best outcome for us that you can hope for is that RvP goes quickly before pre season to a continental league, I don’t think he’d go to PSG who suddenly have loads of money but that would be my prefered choice! I don’t think he’d go to Juv either but that would be good for us too. Either for £20mil

214. Gooner In Exile says:

Richie I worry that the Spanish banking issues will prevent Madrid or Barca getting him, altho that may be his plan to get the lowest fee by issuing this statement. I fancy Barca will want him, and if he goes I will lose any respect I have left for the guy as I can remember clearly what he thought of them after his red card in Camp Nou.

I honestly think Juve, PSG or Munich are possible destinations (most likely the first or last). If he goes to City, I will be going home and away to abuse. If he goes to Chavs I want Torres coming the other way. And that could be the best deal for us.

215. richie says:

Lets look on the bright side of life Do Do, Do Do, Do Do, Do Do Do Do Do Do Do At least we’ve had some proactive movement already.
    I wouldn’t be at all surprised to learn that Arsene had far more of an inkling of this than the Cesc Nasri saga. Which is why he got the board to buy 2 strkers. I won’t be at all surprised to learn that in AW stressing how much we intend to keep RvP to his contract his only thought was to hike his price, with only a year to go.

216. Slimgingergooner says:

RvP was nothing before Arsenal, and neither were Henry, Vieira, Petit, Ljungberg, Toure, Cole, Fabregas, Nasri etc etc etc.

You never know when the next big player is emerging, but history shows that under Wenger, there is ALWAYS another big player emerging. The Ox and Wilshire are next in line but it could easily prove to be Giroud or Podolski.

Only time will tell what impact RvP leaving will have on our future fortunes, but as of right now, it’s had none.

217. Slimgingergooner says:

As for where he ends up, I can only see it being City, Barca or Madrid.

PSG, Juve and Bayern all play in poor competitions, even if they do pay top dollar. The way the fans have reacted opens the door for him to go to City, and maybe that was the ploy all along. Personally though I think he will end up at Barca as Villa has had a bad injury and he could slot perfectly into their set up. Madrid is also a possibility but they have Benzema and Higuain so are not exactly lacking up front.

218. richie says:

The worst case scenario for us is that he’s sold to either Oily Citeh or Chav’s and does well. Best case scenario is he’s sold to either and they get a good season every 4th year through injuries. Either way he’s gotta go now and we look forward to seeing Arsene work his magic and turn a couple of good strikers into a couple of greats who form partnerships.

219. Rob Lucci says:

Bunburyist
    July 4, 2012 at 12:38 pm • Reply
    “it has again become clear to me that we in many aspects disagree on the way Arsenal FC should move forward.”
    ===
    Van Persie: Any chance you could start operating like City or Chelsea?

Gazidis: No chance.

Van Persie: Why?

Gazidis: Self-sustainable. Long-term. Stability. Looking ahead. Sustain. Long view. Long self. Sustain.

Van Persie: Long term? But I’m almost 30 with glass ankles!

Gazidis: That’s true…

Van Persie: Bye!

It feels like he’s left already.
    See ya. Don’t let the door hit you on the arse on the way out.

221. oz gunner says:

absolutely gutted, heard the news before work today. I seriously thought he would play out his days at Arsenal just like God did. I can’t believe it! Today we experienced the death of player loyalty. I hope he leaves and wins nothing, sits on the bench, and we all forget his name! He could of been a legend, now he is just one big front bottom!

@ Sagar 6.27

You hit the nail on the head with the tony adams quote. This is shocking!

222. oz gunner says:

@ LB 6.39

well said, it’s a complete joke!

Morning Lads.
    Oh bugger.
    Away and on a terrible connection. Thanks for post Chas, but will view clips later.
    Not surprised at all, as I said on here a while back I thought two from Persie, Walcott and Song would go.
    My strongest is feeling is that Arsenal need to get their shit together big time. Wenger’s public statements look pathetic. Time to start acting discreetly and professionally.
    I would be absolutely appalled if Persie saw out the last year.

Hi Oz

I have just been reading through the comments and I find GIE’s the most sober and logical.

But GM’s 12.48 is a bit subtle I supose but very funny.

If Wenger doesn’t make statements saying he wants to keep players he is accused of not caring and if he does he is accused of being pathetic.

Rock and a hard place comes to mind.

Someone has got to steer the team out of this sea of shit.

So who would you prefer A fucking VB

226. Shard says:

Micky

I think Arsenal’s problem is that we do things too professionally. I don’t slag that off because that is how we maintain some class. We don’t tap up players through the press. We don’t make statements about internal policy, internal divisions. All of Wenger’s statements are meant in Arsenal’s best interests. An appeal to Van PErsie was in Arsenal’s best interest. It was also something which would increase his sale price, telling people how much we value him, and how much he values us. RVP’s statement is meant to reduce his sale price (lower transfer = higher wages), and make keeping him to his contract not viable. Wenger puts club before himself. RVP’s statement is self serving.

227. oz gunner says:

just reading through them now LB, i’m trying to take the RA rational approach and look for the upside (if there is any) in all this but apart of me would like Vermaelen to finish what he started whilst he was playing for Ajax

228. Shard says:

The situation is not the same as last year. Last year we were needing to sell before buying replacements. This year we already have replacements in. Whether that is through ‘lessons being learned’, or just being in a more cash rich situation is irrelevant. Because we have strikers in, WE can dictate the negotiations. Much more than last year. If City (I’m assuming it’s them) don’t pay up, no sale. We don’t HAVE to sell. Yeah, we’d like to, but Robin wants to leave more than we want him to. If he wants a move next year he’ll have to do something good enough to convince people to pay him mega bucks. Or, he can just sit in the reserves. If we stop feeling sorry for ourselves and start fighting back, we’re actually in not that bad a position. With or without RVP, I have a good feeling about next year. I still think we need to strengthen in a couple of (or 3) positions, but we’re definitely not terrible as is. Strengthen in order of priority (if RVP goes) AM/winger, GK (if Fabiansky goes) and DM.

229. Gooner In Exile says:

I hate agreeing with a Spud:

230. Gooner In Exile says:

Sharkey I missed this little gem last night:

“Ps. I’ve deposited my £20 in the ‘lets send Peaches Mum away for a few days fund’. Just for the sake of her own eyes and ears you understand”

First thing to make me smile today :)

231. Shard says:

Our job is still the same now. To strengthen the squad, we had to sell the ‘deadwood’. Robin’s just added his name to that list, that’s all. And lucky for us, he’s marketable deadwood :)

232. Gooner In Exile says:

Shard how I wish we could use that thinking, as others have said its situation untenable.

I wonder how some of our legends view his behaviour?

I was thinking about Wrighty, I imagine them dragging him out by his feet with his fingernails scraping along the Marble Halls when the club decided he had no future with us.

233. 26may1989 says:

Did I miss anything?

234. I think Walcott will leave as well

235. Gooner In Exile says:

Oh oh oh by the way doing my research last night I came up with a number that to me was fascinating:

2004 – 72
    2011 – 70

That number is the amount of players on the books according to the financial accounts. No one was looking for a whipping stick then though.

2004 – £16.5k
    2011 – £31.5k

That is the average weekly wage. PL Avg in 2004 was £18.7k and in 2000/10 was £38k.

I think that shows that we are not anymore bloated or overpaying than we were in 2004.

236. Gooner In Exile says:

Nothing important 26.

Do you really think £RVP would sit in the reserves,Shard. I firmly believe that with the money that the club thought reasonable they bought Giroud and Podolski knowing negotiations had broken down with RVP/or his agent.
    The same scenario will now happen with Walcott and I can accept the “financial stability line” given by the board but on the other hand Wenger has been giving a lot of spin to the fans these past few seasons.If he is scripted or really felt we could win a trophy or two is open to debate,but then that buffoon PHW comes out with various quotes saying exactly the opposite to Wenger.

Brady was our best player at the time,and we sold him,and the pattern has continued.

For now we can’t compete with City,United and Chelsea but at this moment of time I can’t see how things will pan out this season.
    even if RVP goes nd we buy another one or two players,the foundations of the team changes yet again, and the bedding in process starts again.

I feel disappointed with RVP and to an extent with the club.

238. Gooner In Exile says:

God says it all

239. Shard says:

kelsey

I couldnt see Robin make such a statement as he did either. I’m not calling for him to be placed in the reserves. I’m saying we make use of being in a relatively advantageous negotiating position, and refuse to sell at anything other than a fair price. Which includes a fee for him being tapped up too, incidentally. RVP’s already lost his legend status, but if he goes to City, it’ll finally be decided that Vieira has lost his legendary status too. He does their tapping up work after all.

I don’t understand this classing of PHW as a buffoon. Why? What exactly has he said contrary to Wenger? Besides, contrary public statements are another way of playing good cop, bad cop.

240. Gooner In Exile says:

Kelsey this time I find it hard to criticise the club. I don’t think the signings were to replace RvP they were probably the safety net needed, if RvP had announced this earlier there would be a chance Girouds fee would have inflated.

But I still believe Arsene and the club also hoped that those signings could convince him to stay.

The unnecessary kick was that from RvP about direction, it’s making an excuse when none was needed, we could read between the lines, we could decide it was about money, but he could walk away and be welcomed back as a hero like Thierry, Wrighty or Dennis or even Eduardo. We used to remember our heroes but our heroes never used to talk ill of the club on leaving or when they left.

Morning guys, we’re only going to be talking about one thing today, so I have published early so that your comments will be relevant to the new post and not need to be repeated.

….. New post …….

Shard,

It is totally irresponsible tha RVP’s statement was released, i think we are mostly agreed with that.
    As for PHW he may not have been quoted as saying things contrary to Wenger but he definitely says things as Club Chairman over the years that do not sit favourably with the fans and he dismissed kroenke the year before he was elected to the board.he also stated at the start of the season that if we missed out on CL this year that it wouldn’t be the end of the world. IMO he should just step down or at least be told to keep quiet.

243. Shard says:

kelsey

I would have thought that at least someone at the club not indulging in spin and coming out with the same PR agent fabrications would be welcome. In any case, I think his statements are twisted more than they are inflammatory. And that is a result of not being PR savvy. He isn’t wrong. In business terms, which is his forte, Arsenal have planned for life without CL. In sporting terms, which is Arsene’s job, he views it as a disaster. Fair enough, no?

The story behind the dismissal of Kroenke is something quite interesting. The normal story goes that Dein brought Kroenke in, and the rest of the board, especially PHW opposed this. (Either because they were opposed to Dein, or because they didn’t want a sugar daddy) But, as I recall, if we look at the history of share trading. Before this incident happened, it was Fiszman who sold Kroenke some shares. I’m not sure we’ll ever understand what really went on, but I don’t think its as simple as is being made out. I’ll be honest, I quite like PHW, and I don’t think anything he’s said has been offensive towards the club.