Robin van Persie – one of the best No. 10’s

“Because he[RvP] is one of the best no10’s in the world” – Van Marwijk.

The Dutch national manager Bert van Marwijk opted to play RvP behind the striker, in the no10 position, against Portugal last Sunday. He was desperate to turn things round and for once he gave in to the strong calls in Holland to play Huntelaar, the Bundeslega top scorer, and RvP, the PL top scorer, together up front.

It was a daring decision to put RvP in the no10 position. Holland has a few players who believe it is their god-given right to play there, and can become very disruptive if they are being played elsewhere, or even worse, being placed on the bench. During the last World Cup, the likes of Sneijder and van de Vaart have competed aggressively and publicly over who should play in the position that is simply the Holy Grail for any aspiring Dutch attacking footballer.

When Van Marwijk was challenged during a press conference over the debacle against Portugal – the third game they lost in succession, meaning they had to leave the tournament with nil points, after setting themselves the highest possible target – the journalists were keen to find out why the manager had opted for Robin van Persie in the hole position, at such a crucial game. Van Marwijk’s answer was typically short and to the point: “Because he is one of the best no10’s in the world”.

Robin van Persie might have been chosen for the no10 position by the manager, but that does not mean anything; so it appeared. He got no service whatsoever, despite making himself available continuously. Van Marwijk also played Sneijder (left midfield) and vd Vaart (central midfield) and it was simply asking for trouble. The Dutch team had no shape, except for the first twenty minutes or so, and there was hardly any cooperation, desire to make the runs, to close down, or to simply work for each other.

An utter disgrace and I feel truly sorry for the likes of Van Bommel and Matthijsen who now lost out on their last chance to win a major tournament with their national team. Van Bommel has been the physical and mental glue for the Dutch national team in the last few years, but he simply could not drive the team forward anymore; with very dire consequences.

I am sure we will hear more on this in the next few weeks, but I wonder what our Boy Wonder is thinking about it all at the moment. I reckon he will be gutted as this was a golden opportunity for the Dutch team, and him, to win a major trophy. The Dutch will have to rebuild now and it could take another twenty years before they reach a final of a major tournament again.

What is an exciting thought, though, is whether Robin van Persie is indeed one of the best no10’s in the world.

Dennis Bergkamp has said on a few occasions that the ‘Shadow Striker’ position would be ideal for RvP. It looks like Giroud has been bought by Arsenal, and he would be a welcome addition to the earlier purchase of Podolski. And if so, two new strikers of good quality will have been added to the squad. They are the sort of players who should fit in straightaway and can make a real difference.

Apparently, Arsène believes Podolksi, Giroud and RvP can play together up front, and as per LB’s post a few days ago, this would leave us with an embarrassment of riches in our attacking positions. How is Arsene going to fit in the likes of RvP, Podolski, Giroud, Theo, Arshavin, Gervinho, Chamakh, Park, Vela, Ryo, Campbell, and the Ox?

So, there can be no doubt that a number of the above players will be sold or loaned out before the end of the transfer window.

For a long time, I was convinced that RvP was going to stay at Arsenal. But the lack of clarity after his ‘informal’ meeting with Arsene and Gazidis before the Euros, has made me doubt again my earlier optimism.

Clearly, the meeting between them is, and might always be, a black box for us. But if we take the premise that RvP indeed loves Arsenal, and would like to stay if he feels the club has done enough in the transfer window this summer to be a serious competitor for the title and Champions League, would the offer to Robin to play in the Nr10 position not be a major selling point – the icing on the cake? I think it would.

And with him moving into the hole position, Arsenal need two proven strikers for the 50+ games we will play, in order to cover adequately for suspensions and injuries. The likes of Park and Chamakh have not convinced since they joined us and Theo, Vela and Campbell are probably not (yet) of the quality required to really make the top striker position a great success next season.

It seems conceivable that RvP will have asked for proven quality additions, and in Podolski and Giroud Arsenal have just done that.

Of course, there is still a good chance that Arsenal have simply been more pro-active this summer and that Giroud and the Pod are direct replacements for RvP and Chamakh, but I don’t want to think like that, yet.

The thing is, RvP did not just become our top goal scorer last season, but as a captain he has also injected a new spirit; a new culture into the team. This would be very hard to replace and I just cannot imagine Arsene taking it lightly. If RvP leaves we would be in another transitional year again, and we would run the serious risk of becoming a club in perpetual transition. I believe Wenger is a very ambitious man and is fully aware he needs to start holding on to his top players, if he ever is going to win something again. I also feel the club has entered a new (financial) era now.

That’s why I believe RvP will not (be allowed to) go this summer, even if he does not sign a new contract. Even the BoD will realise that cashing in on RvP will not be a wise decision this time round.

It seems to me very likely that RvP will be played in the shadow striker position next season. It will be interesting to see whether Arsenal will play 4-2-1-3 again or whether we go for 4-4-2 next season.

The latter formation might suit RvP more as I don’t think he is a natural playmaker, with great overview and in possession of an array of deadly through-ball skills. He is neither a Dennis Bergkamp type of player, nor a Cesc Fabregas type, and I think he will be a nr10 player ala Rooney at Manchester United (in terms of type of player), but only better of course LOL!

He would be absolutely deadly in that position and we would significantly improve our tally of goals from outside the box next season. He would also be closer to the midfield and therefore better able to captain his team.

I would love to see RvP in the nr10 position and I believe Van Marwijk is a top quality manager, who has a close relationship with our captain. If he thinks RvP is one of the best no10’s in the world, then I am not going to disagree with him.

And I think it is all part of a master plan by Wenger to keep our Boy Wonder happy and hungry at our beloved Arsenal next season.

TotalArsenal.

154 Responses to Robin van Persie – one of the best No. 10’s

1. [...] Robin van Persie – one of the best No. 10′s [...]

Thanks for the post Total.
    Kinda wish I hadn’t run my conclusive survey earlier :-(

3. i wonder how good would Giroud would be, have we finally got back or Berkcamp and Henry back together again

4. Shard says:

Hmmm.. If we do play Robin as a support striker, that further reduces one midfield spot. How then will we accomodate Song, Arteta, Coquelin, Ramsey, Rosicky, Wilshere, and even Diaby and Frimpong. Will that be the ideal way to go as a team? It’ll make us more attacking but will it provide the right balance? I’m not convinced Robin will be asked to regularly play as a no.10. Maybe in certain games. But RVP has said Wenger convinced him to play as a striker. Wenger obviously sees that in him, and well, the last 18 months have shown he’s very very good there. Giroud is plan B. He’ll spell Robin as the central striker. There’s no way Robin can play as many games as he did last season. Especially because with the Euros, he’s hardly had any break. Giroud and Podolski will both be unused to playing without a winter break. So there’ll be plenty of need and opportunity for rotation and rest.

I also disagree about Robin staying if he doesn’t sign a new contract. I agree with Robin bringing a new spirit to the club, and in the past I have said that if he leaves, we’ll miss Robin the man, more than Robin the player, because I don’t think he can repeat his exploits of this season. However, if the captain stays uncommitted to the club, that spirit is just as likely to vanish quickly. I’m almost certain that’s what happened with Cesc in 2011. The likes of Arteta, Mertesacker, Santos, even Benayoun showed they wanted to play for the club. If Robin doesn’t give that commitment, it’s better for team spirit to sell him. Just not to ManCity. That sends out a wrong message. If that’s the only club RVP will go to, then don’t sell him. That’s my take anyway.

Of the many feelings I have, one says that when you have the Leagues’ top scorer and the one player who single handedly kept us top four, it would be madness to move him.
    Strenghten all around him and have an improved stand-in by all means.

6. robbinURpersie says:

Hey Total, welcome back! hows things?

I havnt read it yet, but already really looking forward to your post, which never disappoint..

So thank you in advance mate!

i think this post deserves a freddie :-)

Hi Shard,
    So let’s say one offer comes in for Robin, and its massive, its from City, and Robin desperately wants to go. You’d make him stay?

8. Slimgingergooner says:

Its a great post TA, and leaves a lot to think about, but there is one slight problem with this…..

….we dont play with a ‘number 10′ in the current formation!

9. Shard says:

hey micky,
    How massive is massive? I was actually going to write an addendum and say, sell to City if it’s anything over 25, preferably 30 million :)

But you know, I have mixed feelings about this. I suspect all of us do. I’d hope Robin doesn’t want to join that crass club, but if he’s desperate to, and the right offer comes along, I suppose it makes sense to take it and invest it. At least this year we’ve done (some of) our business early and so can bargain from a position of strength. I’m still hopeful Van Persie wants to stay, and will do so. I suspect his agent will be trying to push Arsenal as far as possible, and will thus delay the signing. Who knows what was discussed at the meeting earlier, but if it was to do with Arsenal signing some players, then Robin should have reason to commit. We’ll see I suppose. At this point, despite the reports today, I’m leaning towards Robin staying.

If my repulsive little City scenario comes true, then there’s only one solution. He goes. We then welcome City to North London for our fixture, remove their nasty little powder blue shorts, bend them over and give them a damn good thrashing.

Before I return to work, I must state that of course I want him to stay and score whenever he so chooses.
    Workage calling.

If i was a betting man I would say RVP will be off to Real Madrid but if it’s City I wouldn’t be happy.That would be number 5 from our first team.

I am more concerned about other areas.
    WWe need aa back up experienced keeper like Gordon oer whoever.

Sagna and Wiltshere will not be ready for the start of the season and our first 6 fixtures are not a walk in the park.
    Rosicky who I thought was finished has a reoccring problem with his achilles.
    Park and Squillacci, what happens with them.

If Walcott doesn’t resign Gervinho needs to improve his shooting as he has Walcott’s speed.

Plenty still to be sorted out.

Does one persevere with Diaby. Beeny has left.

Are Arshavin,Bedtner, Fabianski and Vela about to go.

So many questions still to be answered.

13. supreetkini says:

That’s some good points there, but with him playing in a more deeper role, don’t you think that will take a few goals out of him? Even though we have got Podolski and Giroud, RVP remains our main striker!

14. TotalArsenal says:

My name is Total, where I come from they call me Totaal, and yes, I am an AA-oholic!

15. TotalArsenal says:

Hi Micky, no worries. :) I can see where you are coming from.

Hi Micky/Shard: no doubt Arsenal will survive the departure of RvP, but unless he really wants to leave – as in becoming totally aggressive about it – I think Arsene really will keep him this time.

Call me naive, but I reckon Robin would be the total professional in his last season, and in order to secure a good contract somewhere else, he would also need to be at his very best.

Hi Slim, why can’t we have a nr10 in our current system? It is basically a free role between midfield and the strikers, in which he can choose to play close to the nr9 striker, or closer to the 2 DM’s in order to make things happen himself.

Hi Supreetkini, yes it will reduce his goal tally, but this will be picked up by the likes of the Pod, Giroud and Theo. What it will add is more goals from outside the box, and I think we will score a lot more goals with RvP behind the main striker.

Hi Kelsey, at Madrid RvP would become a squad player imo. Would he want that – and would they need him?

16. glic says:

Well that was a short sabbatical !, where did you go ?, next door neighbour !. :lol:
    He ain`t going anywhere, apart from the positional move you rightly suggest !.
    Glad your back, it`s been a while , but in the time you`ve been away would you believe it, I`ve got even more outrageously handsome !. :lol:

From Arsenal.com

The more I read the better he sounds.
    ……………………………………………………………………………

It was announced on Tuesday that Montpellier striker Olivier Giroud has agreed to join Arsenal this summer.

To find out more about the Gunners’ new striker, Arsenal.com spoke to the respected French journalist, Philippe Auclair.

“First of all I think it is a real coup for Arsenal. Considering what Giroud has to offer, I think it is a very good deal. You are getting a player who has only had a couple of seasons at the highest level, but in that very short space of time has ensured that everybody knew he was a serious striker and someone to be reckoned with. In terms of value for money, I don’t think there is much better in Europe at the moment.

“He is around 6ft 3in tall, so you would be talking in principle about a typical target man who you can hook the ball to and hope he holds it up. But he is not just that, though. He has huge physical presence, but one of the main characteristics of his game is his intelligence and willingness to find his team-mates in the danger zone. He is very alert to the runs made by his wingers, and is known for his link-up play as much as his finishing. He is terrific with his back to goal, at receiving the ball sometimes from awkward angles and, crucially for Arsenal when you think of their style of play, he has the technique and intelligence to play first touch. He doesn’t offer just a physical presence, an aerial presence and a danger in front of goal, but he is also incredibly quick-thinking and quick-footed. Many people in France regret the fact he wasn’t used as much as he could have been at Euro 2012 by Laurent Blanc.

“Blanc had a system and a plan that involved using Karim Benzema as the uppermost striker in his formation, and he didn’t want to consider a typical 4-4-2. Every time it was put to him that he could play Giroud as a typical No 9 and Benzema as a withdrawn forward or an advanced No 10, he didn’t think it was possible. Maybe he lacked a bit of courage, but a lot of people in France wanted him to do this. Prior to the Euros, Giroud showed that he could bring an awful lot to the France team. I have heard him being compared to other French strikers, or forwards coming from Ligue 1, but he is totally different. Technically he is far superior.

“He started his professional career quite late. This means that you have a player who is still very young, but who would, in normal terms, be considered to be entering his mature years. In fact he is only just starting out: he is 25 years old, but has hardly played at all at the top level, so you have a very fresh player there. He is also a player who has another eight or nine years ahead of him in terms of top-level football.

“He should be a 15 to 25 goals a season striker in the Premier League. You are always going to play him in a central position in this Arsenal team, I don’t imagine he would be shifted to the flanks. I can imagine a 4-4-1-1 with Robin van Persie playing in a Bergkamp role; I can imagine a new version of a 4-4-2; and I can imagine Robin playing on the right as an inverted winger too. All sorts of combinations, but I don’t think Robin van Persie’s presence will harm his chances of featuring in the first XI. I still think it is possible to have Lukas Podolski, Giroud and Van Persie in the same team, and that is a terrific prospect.

“There is no doubt whatsoever that he will adapt to English football, he has the right physique and the right mentality. He is very confident and I do like players who come to top-level football late in their careers, a la Didier Drogba. You are talking about a player who only discovered the top level of French football in 2010 and he is very fresh and hungry, and this will play a part in his adaption. In terms of the language, there will be no problem. He is a very bright young man, he communicates well and has a very good temperament. He was part of a Montpellier team which had a remarkable team spirit, and he never thought of himself as the top guy there, he is quite humble. He really is a terrific acquisition.”

18. TotalArsenal says:

Glic – outrageously handsome? I’ve heard different things! :lol: What have you done to poor, old Terry: have you snatched his body? :)

19. henrychan - indonesia says:

We have 3 of the best #10 strikers.. RvP, Podolski and Giroud..
    Who will be our #10.. I think RvP will stay..

#9 is now on Park.. I prefer Giroud wear it..
    #11 is now on Santos.. Do he deserve it..?? Let’s give it to Podolski..

Rumours say that M’villa is’nt coming.. Is it matters??
    Not for me.. We still have Song, Frimpong.. and sure Arteta..

20. glic says:

Total
    With a body like this, It`s my body I have to protect from body snatchers !. I`m constantly harrassed by the Ladeeez on this site for permission to have me as their avatar, their a cheeky lot, cant blame them for trying as I have this avatar in the mirror !.
    As for Terry, he`s on delusional watch :shock: in solitary confinement @ HMP Broadmoor !.

21. barumgooner says:

Ivan has said that the club will do everything in its power to get back to winning silverware again. That means getting rid of the lower quality players we have, buying better replacements, keeping the quality we already have and reverting back to the way we played when we actually had a successful (and good to watch) team. 4-4-2.
    The two attacking lads are proof of this, the cull is about to begin, Robin and Theo WILL sign extensions and the Arsenal WILL be champions this time next year.

in my humble opinion of course !!

Nice post by the way. Robin is class but in the Dutch team is surrounded by prima-donas and sulky ego-heads. Stay at the Arsenal where you belong.

22. TotalArsenal says:

That’s the spirit BarumG! :)

GLiC :) How do you make the smiley with the googly eyes?

Hi TA, great post as we’ve come to expect from you. I had to replace the 2nd pic as the resolution was poor – hope you don’t mind.

I’m completely befuddled at the moment. The old Arsenal would have brought in these 2 new players because the deal to sell RvP had already been agreed (in principle) …. but maybe this is the dawn of the new, got over the cost of the Emirates Arsenal, and we are speculating in search of glory.

… BTW, I think Robin’s off :( ……..

25. Rob Lucci says:

Giroud told French newspaper L’Equipe: ‘Why did I choose Arsenal rather than Chelsea? Because it is a club I love. And I thought it would be easier for my adaptation.

‘Arsenal is a great club, the facilities are wonderful, but I feel it is a club that takes big care before signing a player, notably considering human values.

‘There are French players. There is also Arsene Wenger who let me understand he really wanted me.

‘Chelsea is very nice, it is a great club, but I am not convinced (coach Roberto) Di Matteo knows who I am.’

26. Rob Lucci says:

I know that many of you thinks that Robin will go to another club based on past event, but I am extremely convinced that he will sign his contract extension, and soon.

… and if he don’t,, I promise to eat my hat.

27. TotalArsenal says:

Hi Rasp, I know you like to use patterns of the past to predict the future and you often get it right. With the arrival of both the Pod and Giroud, you would say, RvP is a goner.

To be honest, I don’t know any more what will happen but I think/hope the RvP in the hole theory, as per my slightly chaotic post, combined with Wenger’s view that he will play the Pod, Giroud and RvP together next season, is feasible. It really makes sense to me to play RvP in the hole, especially with either Song, Arteta, Wilshere or Ramsey in the ‘two’ behind him.

28. Gooner In Exile says:

TA, I thought you were taking a sabbatical….

A fantastic post as always but not one I can agree with, I just don’t see RvP as a No10.

To do that would take away what he was so good at.last season, scoring goals, boot, head, tap ins, long range. He played No9 better than anyone in the league last season…why would we experiment?

I agree TA, we have already broken patterns of the past so something has definitely changed. Strangely, keeping RvP (in the hole) might rely on getting a player like M’Vila who will protect the back four – especially when the fullbacks go forward.

Sabaticals are banned – otherwise peaches and I will do the same :lol:

31. glic says:

Total
    Same as this one :lol: but type the word shock in the middle ! :shock:

32. TotalArsenal says:

As per Gn5 posted article a bit earlier, another interesting point regarding Giroud is his ability to play with his back towards the goal. One of the few things Chamakh did really well, and which allowed us to score a lot more goals as a team in the first half of the 2010/11 season.

I have seen Giroud do this really well during a friendly recently, and with the likes the Pod, RvP, Gervinho, Arteta, Ramsey, Song, Wilshere and Theo able to anticipate Giroud’s lay-offs, we could be in for a treat next season. A Giroud-RvP partnership could be the bee’s knees! :)

33. Red Arse says:

Hi TA, :-)

Excellent Post, right out of the top drawer! :-)

I disagree with everything!!!!!

Oh, hell, no I don’t, I just wanted to say it to see what it looked like when commenting on your great Posts!! :-)

On the contrary, I like everything you said! :8

34. barumgooner says:

Personally i dont think he wll go. The club are being clever by showing RVP that we will buy him some additional firepower but at the same time diminishing his importance. We will be going into further discussions holding all the cards, make him a very good offer (because he is a worldclass player who we want to keep) but if it all goes tits-up and he wants a fresh start then we sell and make a few million safe in the knowledge that he has already been replaced. There is no better league in the world and he is not a mercenary(i think). so why leave if we are showing real intent to build a quality squad ??

35. Red Arse says:

At least you have enjoyed your sabbatical —– I presume? :?

36. glic says:

Actually Total, If we could put a syrup on that, it would look remarkably like Terry !. :lol:

37. Red Arse says:

Or twisted!! :-) :twisted:

38. TotalArsenal says:

GiE, fair point. :)

Can you see him play like Rooney at MU though?

Rasp, I can see the MVilla theory and I would not mind him to come to us. But if both Song(Coquelin) and Arteta(Wilshere/Ramsey) sit back a bit more next season, and the wingers are a bit more disciplined in helping out defensively, I could see us not getting another DM. But I am sure you are not as confident as I am about our DM qualities at the moment.

Hi RA :) We have to disagree to disagree!

39. TotalArsenal says:

Hi RA, it is an old post (Rasp had to blow the cobwebs away :) ) and I could not resist to respond to the comments. I think I am seriously addicted to blogging though, and I need to find a balance with other things/interests. But I was grumpy all day yesterday as I missed my on-line mates! :oops:

40. Abdullahi abolaji says:

Arsenal now serous with business.

TA. 1.40 Know just what you mean. …. but this is a very cheap addiction. Think of the cost of alcoholism, gambling, drugs or Ladies of Pleasure.

Another fine post. My take (hope) is that we are building a stronger squad. RvP has always looked to be a perfect 10, he has vision, passing ability and he can tackle – something which is often overlooked.

42. Red Arse says:

Or there are Terry thoughts of kebabs innit.
    😜😰😘🌺

43. TotalArsenal says:

Just for Evonne:

The Dutch are going mad for one of your Sport TV presenter’s beautiful eyes!

44. Red Arse says:

TA, I rather think of it as – agreeing to agree! :- :!:

45. TotalArsenal says:

Hi Raddy :)

Hope you had a good time in London.

That is a very good point: RvP can indeed tackle.

I liked your post from yesterday. I remember the game well. During the ’92 summer I met an English rose, who is now my wife. We stayed in a French camp-site called Beau Rivage not far from the Ardeche area. The camping was very basic – it had only one light at night for the entire campsite and there were two toilets and a couple of showers. Enough though for the sort of things we were up to! :oops:

However, the owner of the camp-site offered me to come and watch the game at his house. I was still feeling depressed as the Danes had eliminated the Dutch in the semi-finals and I was convinced the Germans would easily beat the Danes (I was more concerned about the Germans winning it than us winning it). But how wrong I was, and ever since that day I liked the Danes significantly more than I did before. The French camp-site owner and I did little dances of joy at the end of the game! :)

46. jnyc says:

TA, thats a thought provoking post. As i read through everyones comments, so many views and all valid opinions, one thing became clear. The rest of the summer will be interesting, and next season is going to be soooo much fun! :-)

47. TotalArsenal says:

RA, of course! I was just being silly. :) How do you do the ‘!’ smiley?

48. Hi all,
    Good Post. What I feel is that RVP will indeed play as a No. 10, more in the mould of a ‘false 9′, allowing Poldi and Walcott to cut inside from the wings when we are attacking. Giroud is just brought as a plan B and to rotate with RVP. He will likely be involved more when we need a striker to hold up the ball (for teams like Stoke) or when we are chasing a game and need a natural poacher.
    I can see the front 3 lining up as last season (exception: podolski on the left), but RVP confusing the defenders with his awesome movement around the box, falling back, taking shots when he has space.
    The only thing I feel will be altered is the midfield, instead of a traditional CAM, Wenger might go for 2 box-to-box mids alongside a pivot, hence his search for a Defensive mid, as Song and Wilshere are two great box to box mids, alongwith Arteta. :)

49. TotalArsenal says:

Hi Johnnie, what is the weather like in NY, and are you working on a new post yet? :)

50. TotalArsenal says:

Hi Sagar T, that is an interesting point re the 2 box-to-box midfielders with a classic, disciplined DM behind them. I would not mind that at all, but it would be quite a revolution and it would ask a hell of a lot of defensive discipline by the whole team. Do you think we can reach and maintain those levels of discipline throughout the season?

51. Timmy says:

Hi All,

TA, thanks for the write up.

First of all, to be able to have a good grasp of what the shape of the team will be, we need to have the eye of Arsene and then answer the question he would have asked.

Q1. How do you keep Robin van Persie?
    A Get him sign another contract by satisfying him i.e. signing proven players particularly those that can take some burdens off his shoulders (Methinks this is pretty much done) Or Get him see out his contract. The former seems to be the most probable.

Q2. How do you balance the team with the influx of the new proven players?
    A Pick a team of players that are the best in the position of your chosen formation.

Q3. What is the formation that will best accommodate the best players
    A. Deploy a fluid flexible formation that can evolve according to the dictates of the game in hand between defensively solid 4-2-3-1, mid-field balanced traditional 4-4-2 and Attack minded 4-1-2-3.

Q4. What qualities do you need in your 4-player defence and which player will bear the spine of this group.
    A1. Impeccable stamina to win one-on-one, High tackle success rate to dispossess, vision and swiftness to intercept passes, good link up play (Standard: Sagna, Vermalean, Koscielny, Santos. Back up: Mertersacker, Djourou, Gibbs, Miguel, Bartley, Jenkinson)
    A2. The spine of the Back four should be versatile across the four positions, not really to play in the unnatural roles but to be able to make last man dashes across such positions. Koscielny comes to mind (Koscielny against Spain)

Q5. What qualities do you need in your 3-player mid-field and which player will bear the spine of this group
    A1. Impeccable stamina to win one-on-one, High tackle success rate to dispossess, vision and swiftness to intercept passes, good link up play, fantastic Hold-up play, ability to distribute either from deep or from advanced stage of the field, an eye for the killer passes. (Standard: Song, Arteta, Wilshere. Backup: Diaby, Rosicky, Ramsey, Coquelin,)
    A2. The spine of the midfield must be ever present on the field, from the deep to the advanced, from inspiration in loosing stages to initiative in breaking deadlocks either with killer passes or accurate long range shots. (Luckily we have two: Song & Arteta)

Q6. What qualities do you need in your 3-player Attack line and which player will bear the spine of this group
    A1. Stamina and Dribbling skill to get pass the opposing player, vision to spot intelligent runs and deliver the killer pass or the accurate cross, impressive shot accuracy, acute positional sense and an eye for goal (Standard: Robin van Persie, Lukas Podolski, Oliver Giroud. Back up: Gervinho, Walcot, Ryo)

Q7. what should be the desired Team Quality for a Trophy winning side.
    A. Desire (Will) to succeed, Believe, Determination, Grit, Doggedness, Tendency to get tough and rough when required.

I think this sums up what I expect of the team for the coming season. Obviously it doesn’t give room for all the players while some may be relegated to the substitute bench.

Thanks

52. TotalArsenal says:

Holy Moses, Timmy: that comment is pure post material! Top stuff! :)

I will be out for a while but will have another read a bit later and get back to you.

53. @TA,
    Defensive Discipline. That is the only thing that is holding us back. 49 goals conceded last season is not due to weak centrebacks or holding mids, part of it can be attributed to the injuries we had(no wingbacks for a month, Kozzer having to change defensive partners). But also a major concern was the lapse in concentration, for eg: Vermaelen and Song psuhing forward leaving the middle exposed on one too many occasions. As some AFC fans suggest that we should buy this CB and that CB etc., even buying CHiellini and Thiago silva together wont solve our problem, its more to do with defensive stability and communication.
    If Wenger is really serious about winning the title, he has to focus on the defensive aspect, and I fully believe him to do so. He has already done it once when we had that Invincibles back 4 shielded by GIlberto and Paddy. I also hope Bould brings some new ideas to the team and Lady luck is on our side as far as injuries are concerned.
    I am not a fan of Mourinho, but there’s one of his ideals I respect “Attack wins you games, defence wins you championships”. Of course I am not suggesting we play like that plastic club run by that Russian mob, we are far better than that and Wenger will rather prefer to die first than play in that boring fashion.

54. Red Arse says:

TA.

Your desire to take a sabbatical away from the perilous addiction of blogging, made me stop and think about what you could mean by that.

Blogging can be addictive to some peeps, indeed perhaps it is addictive to everyone, to one degree or another.

I have previously noticed on this and other blogs that there are different types of blogger with differing reasons for their addiction.

For everyone it is the chance to talk to others within a membership of a ‘club’ defined by a common love of Arsenal.

There are many facets to this global membership.

— There are those who have had the privilege of supporting the Gunners for many years; others who have incredibly detailed historical knowledge and have kept amazing statistics; yet others who can indulge in and share their particular interest in tactical and strategic analysis, and yet others who have a wonderfully detailed technical knowledge to bring to the party, and all of it encompassed within a camaraderie which brings with it the sheer enjoyment of good natured humour that is always available on tap.

— Rather less desirable, there are some, hidden behind their Avatars, who find the garrulous, aggressive nature of their anonymous comments, blasted at other bloggers, gives them an adrenaline buzz, together with a false sense of superiority and self worth not available in ‘real’ life.

— There are also a select few who have discovered a latent talent to write great Posts and to communicate exceptionally well with others, and this is particularly true on AA, which undoubtedly imbues them with a well deserved and well earned pride in what would otherwise have remained a hidden and therefore unused personal attribute.

— I have no doubt there are many other categories of ‘blogging addiction’, but I suppose I should finish with a category that I personally belong to, and that is for those of us with a limited footballing history, a limited tactical knowledge, and very limited communication skills, but who simply delight in associating with and observing all those others whose gifts and talents make blogging such a richly rewarding experience! :-)

Nix to sabbaticals!

55. Red Arse says:

TA,

: ! : No spaces = :!:
    : roll : No spaces = :roll: :x No spaces = :x
    : idea : No spaces = :idea:

Of course, once I press the “Post Comment” icon they will probably be rubbish!! :)

56. Timmy says:

RA

Nice comment, your last paragraph oozes humility. Thanks for the lesson

57. Gooner In Exile says:

58. Red Arse says:

OK,

I forgot to leave spaces :oops: should be; : x = :x

59. Gooner In Exile says:

Rasp you and Peaches can’t take sabbatical who would apply the PeachesMum test?

And who would whip us all to provide posts?

60. Red Arse says:

Hi, Timmy, :-)

Your comment @ 2:26 is excellent and will make you very welcome on AA.

It’s a bit quiet at the moment but that question and answer analysis will go down very well here, and particularly when the guys from Oz get going it will bring a lot of responses.

Do you have a subject you would like to write a headline Post about?
    AA always likes to encourage new authors, so, if so, give it a go! You will get a lot of support. :-)

GiE, if for some unkown reason Rasp and Peaches take a break, i hereby give notice that i nominate myself to apply the PeachesMum Test. hahahaha

RA;

You constantly belittle your own writing skills and ability to communicate and I, for one, cannot see any reason why you choose to take that stance.

I may, and certainly do take umbrage with many of your views, and less than subtle slurs, but so far as your written skills and ability to communicate go – you have very few equals on AA.

Thanks for the post TA. I hopeRobin stays and plays the number 10 role. RVP behind the new additions pushes up our chances of title glory up to about the 98% mark. Exciting times ahead.

Bit busy, so have to go. But shall return later to apply PeachesMums test.

64. jnyc says:

Hey TA, nyc preparing for the usual humid and hot summer. Gonna go watch a friendly between real madrid and ac milan in yankee stadium next month, it should be fun. Still overrun with tourists, but thank goodness because they keep our economy alive. ;-) i have alot of ideas for speculative posts, but so many hypotheticals at this point with transfer business in such flux. But i knew this was going to be an exciting summer for arsenal! i hope it continues to be positive, im trying not to let rumours get me too up or down either way. So far so great!

Timmy & Sagar. Great stuff. :!:

Timmy @ 2:26

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed comment. As Total said, we could easily have published it as a headline post.

If you wish to restructure it in a way to invite debate, or, if you’d like to offer a post on any other topic, we will be delighted to publish it on AA.

67. Timmy says:

TA, Rasp, RA, Big Raddy

I think it’s humbling to be so considered for posts. My real problem is to be consistent with it. I know you must’ve noticed my inconsistencies in blogging. But I think it will be a pleasure to give it a try. I’ll like to know the procedures.

Thanks

68. Thank you Raddy, AA and Arseblog are my favourite blogging websites…I too tried to start a post on bleacher report about Arsenal a long time back, but they rejected me…maybe I did not “release the handbrake” as AW says :D

69. glic says:

Terry
    Can I write ” Guinea pig ” comments to test your ” peaches mum test ” ?. Preferably not under your secret hidden labaratory conditions ( Ken Barlow hasn`t been seen on the Street for a while, since you tried to extract some of his DNA ) !.

Timmy. Write your piece and send it to Arsenalnuts …. the address is in the Be Our Guest section above.

Sagar. Same goes for you. We accept that stepping into the first X1 can be daunting and cramp your style. A few games in you will start to express yourself with confidence and become a better player. It is the Arsenal Way.

You could be our Podolski and Giroud of next season

71. evonne says:

Super – wow, Giroud is gorgeous, bonus if he can play footy

Totaal – no time to read the post now, will revisit later

72. Red Arse says:

Hi GN5, :-)

Thank you for the compliment, it is well received, even if I do not deserve it.

Can I say, that it is a disappointment, and a continuing regret, to me, that you find my comments or views irritating or see them as a slur upon you.

Obviously, I cannot do much about my views unintentionally annoying you, but I do hope you will accept my word that I have never intended to be dismissive or insulting to you.

I have always respected your deep knowledge of the club, its history and the pleasure you give others with your undoubted statistical skills.

In addition, you have often made me smile with your anecdotes, snippets and jokes, often when I have not felt at my best, and that has been a bonus.
    Perhaps my occasional attempts at humorously facetious responses, as a consequence of a mistaken belief in a shared humor was a mistake. If so, I am sorry.

There is one area, that I am aware of, where you are perhaps justifiably sensitive, and that is discussions about statistical data.
    Here, I admit some culpability, and regret my impatience which was not aimed at you specifically. I should have expressed myself better.

In my defence, as I have mentioned previously, my professional work requires me, on occasion, to use, manipulate and present detailed financial predictions and forecasts, using complex models, which are based on relevant historical statistical data, and in those circumstances context is all.

Football related statistics, taken out of context, are often bandied about on many Arsenal Blogs, not I hasten to add on AA, to ‘prove’ this or that point, usually as a justification for a scabrous attack on AW and my impatience with them has probably coloured my comments when stats are mentioned on here. It was not meant to be personal.

Mea culpa!

73. TotalArsenal says:

Timmy @2.26, not much to argue with there, except, maybe, you making Mertesacker back-up to Vermaelen and Koz. For me the BFG is first on the team sheet in defence, because he is our brain, our organiser, he puts structure in our team, whilst both Vermaelen and Koz are the Terriers who snap away at ankles and battle it out in the air.

74. TotalArsenal says:

Sagar @2.37, another fine comment. The difference between Mourinho and Wenger is the quest for beauty. The former does not give a toss about it and the latter is led by it. The former will always win more trophies but the latter will always set more hearts on fire.

75. TotalArsenal says:

RA @2.52, a very good analysis. I say NIX to the last paragraph – there is no finer writer on AA than you and your knowledge of the game is top notch! :!:

Hi Johnnie, Milan vs Madrid should be fun. Oh, and nobody knows what will happen further this summer, so you might as well speculate to your heart’s content :)

76. TotalArsenal says:

Evonne, please make sure you have a look at the Polish lady with the beautiful eyes and let me know what you know about there! :)

Right, offski again for a while.

77. Red Arse says:

TA,

Are you showing your age, or is that a quatorze-neuf? Very Dutch! :-)

78. glic says:

Give Arsene the money Maureen had available at Chav$ and Rea£ and we would have both warm hearts and trophies !.
    Give me the Billions at City and I`ll produce trophie`s.!.
    What Arsene does with a self-sustaining model against what those others have on offer, makes him the ” Special One “. :)

79. TotalArsenal says:

RA, I have indeed a feet fetish! :)

80. TotalArsenal says:

Very true GLiC! :)

81. Red Arse says:

Typical, Glic!

It’s all about money with you. Give me Maureen’s money, give Citeh’s billions, you say.
    What you did not say is that you would then show us a clean pair of heels.

(And I didn’t mean you and our Terry!) :-)

82. glic says:

Anyone would think I`m a Trannie, the amount of times I`ve had to show a clean pair of heels after liberating wonga from certain peeps !. :)

RA;

Being a man of few words I simply say.

Peace.

84. Red Arse says:

GN5,

It’s a deal! :-)

85. glic says:

Redders watch out, GN5 wants a peace of you and he likes a hotdog !. :)

86. glic says:

Talking of Trannies, I`m off to pick up my Van !.

87. Red Arse says:

Glicster,

You and TA (the foot fetish merchant) are well matched.
    He will show you his feet and you can show him your heels.
    Terry will show you both his syrup.
    PC Plod will nab the three of you!
    Simples! :-)

88. Rob Lucci says:

TA, 4:54

Top, top comment!

89. Rob Lucci says:

What.A.Trio.

90. glic says:

If you wondered what happened to Alban Bunjaku , well he has signed a 3 year contract at Sevilla. I thought he looked promising on Arsenal player !.

From what I saw in clips Bunjaku looked a fine prospect, but we cannot keep them all and very few youth players become PL standard, let alone Arsenal standard.

Good luck to the boy.

A fine fine post, TA.

I always thought Robin was an auxiliary striker rather than the goalscoring spearhead he’s turned into. Shows what I know. I’d love to see him as part of a front two, but struggle to see it happening without moving to a 3-5-2. I’d love to know what Arsene is planning for next season. :)

Respect my arse. What a disgusting bunch of cheating, diving, complete and utter wankers.

94. evonne says:

Total – read the post, excellent of course, what can I say?
    i have a question though – the number 10 position? I know that traditionally the numbers were meaningful, but are they still? Or is it the position behind the striker referred to as no 10 position?

Sadly, I think Boy Wonder is a goner. If he was to stay, they would have announced it by now; everybody wants to be a good news bearer.

I am loving the game, come on Portugal!!

95. evonne says:

Chas – I am glad we are in total agreement :)

96. Irishgunner says:

Let me put this is as ladylike language as I can manage:

This game is a massive pile of steaming piss.

97. evonne says:

Irish – which game are you watching? Switch over to the Iberian derby, it’s great :)

98. Irishgunner says:

It’s complete rubbish – tippy tappy passing and if anyone touches anyone else they fall over, roll around, and so on it goes. Complete crap.

99. goonermichael says:

What a load of wank. Hope it’s pens we can watch some of these twats cry

100. goonermichael says:

The England game was more entertaining evonne

101. Irishgunner says:

Oooh penalties :)

102. evonne says:

I don’t know what’s your problem guys, I think it is a good game, Portugal in the first half outplayed spain, which was good to see

Still want Portugal to win

103. evonne says:

massive save!!

104. evonne says:

my Cesc!!! What a penalty!!! Gotta love the little guy

105. Irishgunner says:

DNA puts them through YAWN Hope Germany or Italy mash them in the final

106. Irishgunner says:

Jaysus it’s like if you say anything against Spain or the wonderful “Cesc” here you’ve a problem. I’ll take my problems elsewhere then.

Cmon the Germans.
    Cesc was doing more cheating than most.

Irish,
    When you say “here”, do you mean AA? Strange comment.

108. TotalArsenal says:

Fair is fair, that was a disappointing game both in terms of quality and the non-stop cheating/over-simulation.

Spain are out of form and I would be very surprised if they start with Xavi and Iniesta together again in the final. The substitutes made all the difference and if they play Cesc a bit deeper, ideally next to Iniesta – so instead of Xavi – and Torres up front, they would play so much better imo.

I don’t think I have ever enjoyed watching a game in which Portugal, or a Portuguese team have played, other than the one against Holland a few weeks ago. But then the Dutch made it soooo easy for them. Portugal is a lovely, beautiful country but I cannot stand their football. Sit back, soak up, and attack on the counter – I have watched the same football for the best part of 40 years. Bah!

I had to pause and fast forward CR’s free-kicks: what an absolute front bottom. :(

Oh how my heart sank when the ref blew at the end of the 90. Another bloody 30 mins!

The sooner these Continentals realize that the Euros are here simply to entertain us Gunners until the transfer window opens, the better.

Morning Micky.

A player holding his head when the contact is nowhere near his head, should be banned for a couple of games. Deliberately getting the game stopped is disgusting. Eventually the refs will start to ignore the theatrics and someone seriously injured will pay the price.

I really hope the Germans and Italians follow ‘Wenger’s quest for beauty’.

112. I am glad Portugal are out, don’t like the play acting, i know Spain can be bad too but Portugal are a little worse. And obviously Ronaldo’s sulk and teary eyes because he didn’t get to take the last penalty….my opinion you demand the 5th if you want to hog the glory, but in most shootouts the 3rd and 4th are the most important penalties.

Did Cesc really behave like that when he was with us? And my red and white tinted spectacles refused to let me see it?

114. If he did Chas i don’t remember it either.

Very true GiE,
    Unbelievable that Ronaldo didn’t step earlier simply because he wanted to grab the glory.
    Chas,
    Indeed, come on Germany.

Sorry GiE,
    Misread your comment, but the gist is the same.

GiE,
    Are you going to know the sex before the little mite is born?

118. Micky, i am reliably informed we don’t want to know……although if its anything like its mother it will be showing off on the next scan and we will know one way or the other :D

Haha GIE,
    Does Mrs GIE ever read this?

120. Only when someone describes her as hot :D

The team that misses first seems to always win. I know it can’t be true but……

122. Mrs GIE says:

You wait until you get home, Big Boy!!!!!!!

GiE,
    It its anything like its father, you’ll hear it way before any scan :-)

124. robbinURpersie says:

Morning all, reading comments and doing my calculations i believe congratulations are in order to GiE (sorry for coming late to the party)..i believe that you and your better half are pregnant, so well done sir..

i cant believe i fell asleep last night before reading the post and i was so looking forward to it..ahh well..like i said yesterday, top post Totaal, and i completely agree on RVP making the 10 his own..

i believe it was after the blackburn game last season when Theo finally convinced me of his starting place in the team that i suggested he could play in the Bergkamp role and keep feeding the pace of theo and Ox as he did that day..

Now we have the prince and Oli G and an abundance of weaponry on either flank..

I believe he is better than Rooney in this position as Rooney isnt as nimble with his turn of foot but does make up for it by using his bulky fat to protect the ball before he finds a winger to spread the play..

Robin is more like Bergkamp in that his vision is similar when sitting deep but also has a nose for goal when he pushes to attack..although i believe RVP’s shooting from distance and set plays have let him down of late but will come back to him whilst making the 10 his own..

Will he stay? My heart says yes, but my stubborn mind says that the board will give in once again and too easily imo..if he stays and wenger has a shout as to what will happen than i trully believe we have wormed out of our financial burdens and we will unleash the most potent attacking line up in the world next season..

till then, fingers crossed, and thank you Robin for single handedly keeping us in the Champs league and keeping our club steady with its finances and most importantly, showing our club what it takes and means to be successful at our great club..

Robin, absolute champion and Legend if he keeps the Arsenal 10 on his back :-)

125. robbinURpersie says:

also this myth of having a left sided team and the machine not working-well i dont buy it..

i remember reading a piece by desigunner and our tactics and positional play in that it was tilted to the right so as to engineer through balls to theo and sagna…

well by my guesstimations should we keep hold of theo and rvp our attack will still pattern on the right using theo and sagna for crosses only this time we will have a fox in the box no.9 in Giroud who will attack the first post, the prince waiting for the volley on the back post and rvp and artettta coming from deep to hoover up any loose crumbs…GOALS GALORE i tell ya, and we will be in a serious fight come the end of the season both domestically and Europe..

in saying all this mumbo, if you can understand it at all, does hinge on our financial position and commercial affairs..

Should RvP go, and whatever happens i will not blame Arsene or RvP, it will be the boards decision once again and everything will be undisclosed… I really hope he stays!!

ok enough from me :-)

Robin. My fear is that should RvP leave, we are once again selling our best player and our Captain.

We need stability and growth – we have the growth and the signing of RvP will provide the stability, otherwise Theo & Sagna are our most experienced players with just 5 years in the team!

la di da di da

Ah ha Raddy,
    We’d also be selling a perpetual crock for £25m who is nearly 30 and wants out.
    That’s assuming he wants out, if he doesn’t, then no problems.

Irish,
    Hope you are feeling a little better this morning :-)

Raddy,
    I do find this a very frustrating time of year, as I don’t feel I can say what I think about players until I know whether they are staying or going. There are one or two who I’d love to lay into, but while they are Arsenal players, I simply won’t do it.

131. robbinURpersie says:

Big Raddy, it seems to be a popular trend in recent years and once educated i found the decisions justified although we sold ourselves very very short with captain fab..

i completely agree with you in regards to stability… selling our captain and best player will once again show that we are a selling club, however should we hold onto him it will show that the tide has changed and that we are indeed breaking the financial shackles, thanks in a big part to RvP

rURp,
    Can you imagine going into next season with Pod, Giroud AND Robin. That would be unbelievable.
    Don’t agree about the “selling club” bit. If someone wants to go somewhere else for whatever reason, then fine by me.

Any ideas what upset Irish last night.

Could it really have been Evonne’s support of Fabregas – a support and admiration which I share?

Strange game last night, the first and last 20 minutes were good, the rest very dull. Best team won. Hopefully, the improvement of Spain’s performance once the 2 wingers came on will convince Del Monte to use a CF.

As to the diving and play-acting – we see the same every week – are Rooney, Young, Bale, (especially Bale) etc any worse?

Classic “time of the month” outburst. Nothing more. Evonne said nothing to upset anyone. It’ll pass.

Micky. I fear we are becoming a selling club. Yes, we got great money for Kolo, Ade, Gail & Samir but their sales were more about the money than whether they did a job for the team. I realise a case could be made for selling all of them but I believe the Pound signs were in the Boards eyes when MC came calling.

Now the finances are improved, we need to show the world that Arsenal dine from the Top Table and our two new signings are an indication that is just what AFC are doing – though I would love to see AW go mad and spend €30+m on a player ….. wouldn’t you?..

BTW. Get an gravatar. It is a poor show coming to the party without the proper attire.

Raddy,
    The Board rightly see the pound signs, its precisely why we are in such a good position. Remember If City offered AFC say £25m for Robin, they’d also be offering the player £200k a week. What are the lads at the top supposed to do?

They are supposed to tell MC to sod off. We have a striker who is the envy of Europe, why sell him just as he has peaked? Do we take a punt on 2 strikers unproven in the PL? They may turn out to be fantastic but RvP already is.

Say they turn out to be Chamakh or Wiltord? The money gained from the sale of RvP will be nothing compared to the loss of revenue of not getting a CL place.

139. robbinURpersie says:

Micky, we have been a selling club since 2005..thats a fact and it has been necessarry for our move to the emirates..we will continue to do so until we are in the clear financially..better commercial deals etc will help in retaining a squad in Wengers vision but the likes of Adebayor, Toure, Nasri etc have kept our heads above water..

I hope our patterns change in this window and we can afford to keep and take a calculated risk with RVP..Wenger deserves it, and we the fans deserve a bit of stability with our better players..

Keeping our captain and one of the best players in the world will send out a strong message to our rivals…just like in that movie ‘Poltergeist’…..- “THEY’RE BAAACK” :-) :-) :-)

Prince Oli G Theo with RvP as shadow striker in the hole will break the meanest defences in the world down..the intelligence skills and talent is theyre

We would all love to see a 30 mil signing but we equally all know that if such a player came on the market, City or Chelsea would offer 31 mil. Sorry if this seems like I am stating something as obvious as grass is green but you know what I am like with this one.

Good post as ever TA and thanks for the name check.

The RVP situation is not a forgone conclusion one way or the other but with the sigining of Giroud the club have made sure that they are back in the financial driving seat now — which is pretty smart really.

141. robbinURpersie says:

Just for the Record, Cesc for me is a top 5 in the world midfielder-talent wise..

his attitude and character may be questionable..

142. Timmy says:

TA @4:51pm

I think it’s any two of those three for the centre back pairing particularly as the opposition demands. For swift footed attack minded opposition like like the manchester clubs Koscielny and Vermalean may be good, but for Aerial ballers that sit deep and hope to catch us on a break with long balls particularly stoke, sunderland, Newcastle or QPR, Mertasacker and any of vermalean and Koscielny will be good.

Raddy,
    I do like the cut of your jib in telling City to “sod off”. The fact remains, that irrespective of the buying price, if they’ve offered the player silly money and he (or she in the case of Nasri) want to go, we’d be better off letting the player go.
    Don’t get me wrong, I want Robin to stay, but what will be will be and we’ll still be The Arsenal. So “eat that” City.

Timmy,
    “Aerial Ballers” genius :-)

145. robbinURpersie says:

Mertesacker is a key defender in our quest for European glory.. what he may lack in pace (imo he does just enough) he makes up with intelligence in positioning..

the European style play in general in the Champions league is slow and suits the BfG plus he doesnt get hot under the collar like Verm when things go pair shaped..he is perfect for the growth of WS and Koscielny…

Morning all…..

…. New post ……

Micky. Of course you are right. But sometimes I live in a Utopia where finances are irrelevant.

LB. They can’t buy everyone ….. can they??

148. youtube.com says:

Actually no matter if someone doesn’t know after that its up to other visitors that they will assist, so here it takes place.